Speaker 1: Welcome in We'll Driving the Great Episode four fifty five. This episode of What's Right with the Great is presented to you by the great people at Boost Mobile. Another excellent night in the NBA Playoffs since we last met the The Lakers got just systematically beaten by the Thunder. Such an interesting box score because the Thunder one one of the quarters by three points, one by four points, one by five points, one by six points. And that's how a game where it felt like the Lakers were actually surprisingly competitive ends up being an eighteen point loss. Just lose every quarter by two or three baskets and you lose the game by eighteen points. That happened. The Calves continue to me to look pretty unimpressive this postseason, and that was two nights ago, and then last night the Spurs got an absolutely critical, gotta have it, must win game, which we will get into momentarily, and the Knicks gotta got an important game to victory will potentially at the cost of og A Nanobi, So we'll get into all of those things. Also, Draymond Green I I think Draymond Green may have this week have had his media jumping the shark moment, So we will discuss that first. I will introduce Demanse and how's it going? Good to see you? I got it? When is so if you're just listening and you're not watching on YouTube, if you this is a great reason, like subscribe, rate review. When is the last time you had a shapeaved head?
Speaker 2: This slow?
Speaker 3: Probably the last time that I got a haircut, Like the first time I got a haircut in Houston. You remember, you took me to the barbershop. I lined it up after it had already grown. But before then. I feel like I got buzz cuts a lot when I was a kid.
Speaker 1: But you're talking about first time in Houston.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was probably like eleven or twelve years old or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, so you're talking about a like junior high school. It was the last time you had a shaved head? Yeah, I can barely remem. I don't let me say this. I think this is the first time you've ever had no hair on your head while having hair on your face. I think the last time.
Speaker 2: Oh that's yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 1: You had a shaved head. You weren't able to really facial hair. The chat is saying a lot of wimby comps all of a sudden in the chat when Wimby showed up all of a sudden at the after with the monks and shaving his head. I think you look great. It was disorienting almost a bit. And I'm sure it through your Is she six months today?
Speaker 2: She's six months? No, she's six months of two days.
Speaker 1: In two days? Oh right, November ninth is her birthday, so that would of course it would be on her birthday, so six months. And I'm sure it disoriented your six months soon to be six month old daughter. All of that, and real quick before we get to the sports, just ninety seconds here, and this is a note for demands. This is a note for Victor. This is the most important thing we'll do on this podcast for months. Anyone listening who is in a relationship, and this is the first mother where your significant other is a mother. Do not fall into that trap of she ain't my mom, that's don't do that and whatever. And if you're on a budget, whatever, you know, again, take my advice on this, as bad as it sounds. If you've got to cheap out on one of the presents, this one year, cheap out on the present for your own mother, take care of take care of the present for your significant other who it's her first Mother's Day. The infant can't do it now added bonus points if you give a card from the infant's perspective, like a card from you and then also a card from the baby. I'm just saying this is I truly mean it. Also. Now this is specifically for Demansay because Demanse is a great and thoughtful gift giver. He also is first team All American at spending nearly as much on the overnight shipping for the present as he did on the present. Because it's last minute, your mom will not be here on Mother's Day. She'll be traveling and she is going to be in La seeing you guys here in a few days. So do not waste one hundred and forty dollars overnighting a package. Just keep it with you and you can give it to her. You could get it there, but she won't be here. So if it's something you want to send, send it regular. She's going to be out of town until next week anyway, and if not, just handed to her. Okay, producers say, come for the take stay for the advice, all right, Straight to voicemail brought to you by Boost Mobile. Bryson D. Chambeau is going to focus on you Tube if Live folds, okay, whatever, rustabating between TV and the Jets. I gotta tell you, it would be stunning to me if Russell Wilson's compelling on television. It would really I'm not saying he can't be, but it would take a real personality shift. Like his whole career, he has been intentionally bland in Vanilla. Now maybe that's just like, well, that's because I was the quarterback of a team. But now I can out here, I can be out here giving opinions.
Speaker 2: But that would be awesome.
Speaker 1: It would be awesome if he turned out and he was like, no, I was just playing a character because that's who I needed to be to be a quarterback. But that who he's the personality shown as a quarterback would not work on TV and Rick Flair hip whatever, man, I'm not even talking about this. Shut up, Rick Flair, honest to god, stopping like the Rick Flair's like, get out there, Luka, donci shut up? All right? Like rate subscribe review demons, Let's talk, Let's talk Spurs, Timberwolves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, after loosening a close one in game one. The Spurs rided the ship with the Timberwolves. In game two, uh, they kind of stopped him, and it just seemed like Minnesota didn't have it. Last night, you talked on Simmons Pot about your about your Wolves future bit. How are you feeling after that game last night?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well listen if you didn't listen to simmons Pot. I kind of alluded to it on this podcast, but and I didn't expect Bill to ask me to tell the story, but he did. And I don't often talk about gambling amounts with you guys, but I played poker on TV. You guys, see, you know what my risk tolerance is. And the too long, didn't read version of the story is Saturday morning, I was in Vegas. I was in Vegas like twenty four hours to see the fight, and I was gonna bet the fight the Kentucky Derby. And then I saw that Timberwolves were two hundred to one to win the championship, and I thought that was absurd. I thought Anthony Edwards could come back. Turns out I was right. I thought the Timberwolves had a very good shot against uh San Antonio. I think I was right there, and so I was gonna make a bet just myself. Then I texted someboddies. They agreed with me that that was way miss priced, way undervalued, and YadA, YadA, YadA. All of a sudden, I for myself and on the behalf of a few friends and making accumulative ten thousand dollars to win two million dollar bet on the Minnesota Timberwolves to win the championship. That they were down to thirty to one before yesterday's game. They are now fifty to one after yesterday's game on hard Rock, and which means, by the way, that bet, that ten thousand dollars ticket is now worth forty thousand dollars. Like it's still way up in what the perceived value of it is. But obviously last night stung, and so let's so there's the bet, you know, context of it. We'll get to more on that if we need to, as the as this season and series evolves. I think the biggest thing to come out of yesterday's game actually was that Io left the game with a heel injury, which to me means his season's over. He is a young player who has not yet been paid, who had a calf injury, a calf strain, and then all of a sudden it migrated down to the heel. And you don't have to be Bill ny the science guy to know, Hey, what is between the calf and the heel? What is that one? Oh, it's the achilles so io, I don't think we'll play again, which no, Devincenzo, no io. It makes them even thinner. And you saw yesterday that when Clark's in the game, it just kills them on offense, and when Bones is in the game, it kills them on defense. And so it really demands a lot out of Anthony Edwards, who yesterday looked more hampered by the injury than he did in Game one, and of Terrence Shannon Junior, who has been a revelation and awesome, but it's hard to rely on him night in night out. With that said, at no point did I think Minnesota was gonna win both in San Antonio, And had they won both in San Antonio, the series would just be over. The Spurs were not gonna lose both at home and then come back and win that. I think they knew that, and I think Minnesota, who yesterday was a good reminder for them, that, particularly given Devincenzo's injury, given Io's injury, given Anthony Edwards not being anywhere close to one hundred percent, if we don't come out absolutely hair on fire, we're gonna get beat. We have to. We always have to be the more desperate team anytime we want to win one of these games, and yesterday they weren't. The offense was awful. The that third quarter was one of the longest, most miserable slogs of basketball I've ever seen through. By the way, through thirty six minutes through three quarters last night, there were forty one combined fouls. Think about that, a foul every forty five seconds for which is why the third quarter took like fifty five minutes. But the Spurs had to have it, and the Spurs got it. Now does it change my opinion that I had after Game one that Minnesota is gonna win the series. It doesn't do. I think Minnesota's margin of error just got a lot smaller. Yes, of course, but I I will if if I'm wrong about Anthony Edwards being able to ramp up his minutes and being able to get closer to being Anthony Edwards, then I'm gonna end up being wrong about the series and just flatly But I think yesterday was a combination of a lot of factors that led to the Timberwolves just not being locked in, and the Timberwolves defensively being dreadful, and the Spurs everybody getting involved because it wasn't he listen, Wimby was super active setting the tone early and then didn't do that much and didn't have to do that much on the offensive end the rest of the game. He still is struggling, at least somewhat with his jump shot now that you could argue is a little concerning for Minnesota that when if Wimby starts hitting his threes he was two of seven in yesterday's game. He once again for the second straight game, didn't get to the free throw line a ton. So they're guarding Wimby fine. It's the fact that outside of San Antonio was fourteen for thirty two from three shot thirty three free throws, hit the league's first ever ali oop three, one of the coolest plays of the season to beat the shot clock. Champenney had a stretch of time where he went on an individual twelve zero run and honest to God, I don't know if anyone on the Timberwolves feels like they played well. Here's one other piece of it before we get demonds to some of the bigger picture stuff that is just patently obvious for the rest of this series. Jaden McDaniels cannot get in foul trouble the way he is. Like Jaden McDaniels yesterday, in a game that Minnesota lost by thirty eight, was only a minus six in his twenty minutes, like he he has been defensively and with the burst he gives you offensively and his length. He's so important, and this entire series he's been in foul trouble and so he's got to be better on that front. I'm not listen. Mike Conley's games are gonna ab and flow because, as Aunt so eloquently told us, Mike's old as hell. Mike is the It's the Greg Odin Kevin Durant draft class. That two through five from that draft class, Demons are all still playing. It's Durant, Conley, Al Horford, and Jeff Green from the seven draft class. Uh, and so all playing you know, varying levels, but you can't. Conley is gonna if you get two more solid games out of Conolly this series. It's a huge win. But the Jalen I think the Spurs are just totally fine with not guarding Jalen Clark, and the Spurs are totally fine with bones Hiland getting as many minutes as the Timberwolves want to give them. And on the flip side, the Aaron Fox had a bit of a bounce back game, which is critical for San Antonio.
Speaker 3: What go ahead, No, I mean a great bounce back game. Consider the first one.
Speaker 1: And it was early on, like he finished with sixteen, but I think he had eleven in the first quarter, Like that's probably more than he had, but it felt like he got going early and that was, you know, to steady himself. So I still think Minnesota is fine. Like they just wanted the split in San Antonio and they got it. I believe their worst case scenario is now it's two to two going back to San Antonio, and because I don't think they're losing both at home, and I think there's a real chance they win both at home and it's three to one going back to San Antonio. But they are getting thinner and thinner, and they are going to have to have Anthony Edwards be flatly considerably better if they're gonna win this series, all right, you have some follow ups here.
Speaker 3: Wimby only played in twenty six minutes in this game. Does it worry you moving forward? Him playing in a long series, his ability to do it.
Speaker 1: Well, his ability to play big minutes. So that's that is the one of the taxes of Minnesota getting just annihilated. Is Wimby got a quick night. Yeah, if they had just been able to keep it somewhere from twelve to eighteen and you can put more more minutes on Wimby that accumulate over the course of the series, I think that would have been valuable. Instead, he doesn't have to play it all in the fourth quarter, I do. I ain't listen. I thought Winby looked absolutely worn out at the end of Game one. Zach Lows said it was the third most minutes he's ever played in any game in his career. And I ain't get showed up at the end of that game. He should probably now be fresher for game three. And he came out, you know, guns blazing last night, as he's supposed to. But it is every other game, every other day until we get to Game six, and I just don't know if he's built up the endurance over the course of the season because of how they've used him. All right, let's talk a little Ants here, Demonse. I know that you know he's gonna be the key to the series.
Speaker 3: H So Ant came off the bench a game and Fince said that he could possibly be seeing more minutes.
Speaker 2: Do you think that it'll be too late by the time that comes.
Speaker 1: No, listen, I think Anna will start Game three. That's the other I kind of has to kind of has to the idea of being able to have an Ant come off the bench. Is a nice curveball to throw, but they need energy and execution offensively to start the game. And the other thing is and isn't is a superb defender. So he's just you know, he's not their best defensive player, but he's far and away their best offensive player. And when he's out on the court, you can put out really good defenders, you know, at almost every spot with Jaden and Rudy and when Nas is out there, So it just gives you a lot of options in verse ssatility. So I listen, They're not gonna win the series with him playing twenty five minutes a game. But I don't think if you could play twenty five minutes on May fifth, I think he'll be able to play more, Or May fourth, I think you'll be able to play more minutes on May eighth and May tenth and May twelfth. Uh, all right, I want to get to the Knicks game in just a second. But first, today's show is brought to you by representing sponsor hard Rock Bet, Florida's sportsbook second out of the NBA Playoffs is here. Lights are brighter, pressures higher. Every possession can change a series, and on hard Rock Bet, every night is your shot to score a major bucket, win or go home energy. On the hardwood, you can build same game parlays. You might like the hot hand to drop thirty, the big man to control the glass with a double double, the point guard to dish out five assists. However you draw it up, hard Rock Bet gives you tons of ways stack your picks into a same game Harley built for the playoffs. And if you ever laid to tip off, don't worry. Hard Rock Bet lets you live bet all game long, from the first bucket to the final buzzer. Try your first bet on hard Rock Bet today and you can score one hundred fifty dollars in bonus bets if you win. Just place a five dollar bet and if it hits, you get not only your winnings but also an extra one hundred fifty dollars in bonus bets. But welcome offer is just the tip of the iceberg. Hard Rock Bet has new promos daily, so open up the app right now to see what promo you've got today. Sure, hard Rock Bet is Florida's only legal sportsbook, but you don't have to be in Florida to join the party. Hard Rock Bet is also live in Arizona, Ohio, New Jersey, Indiana, Tennessee, Virginia, Illinois, Colorado, and Michigan, with more states on the way. Download the hard Rock Bet app today and let's get the party started.
Speaker 4: Offered by the Seminole Tribe of Florida, Offered by Seminal hard Rock Digital, LLC. In alder states. Must be twenty one plus and physically present in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia. Play terms and conditions apply. Concerned about gambling In Florida, call one eight three three play Wise. In Indiana. If you are somebody you know as a gambling problem wants help, call what eight hundred nine with it. In Arizona, Ohio, Virginia, call one eight hundred My reset gambling problem called one eight hundred Gambler, and.
Speaker 1: A reminder of the audience to please like, rate, and subscribe and review the podcast. Again. I'm gonna be totally honest. I don't really care if you review it or like it. It's nice, but the or rate it. I just really want you to subscribe to it. Those other things are cool, but I don't I don't know whether or not I would review a podcast. I don't. I think I've clicked five stars, but I don't think I've ever written a review. So yeah, I mean, I think just liking it and or just subscribing to it, you know, I have not. I do understand it's important for small businesses, uh, but I'm just not the review type. So I just appreciate if everybody just subscribes. That's why Oh boy, hold on breaking news from my life. This is, I guess speaks to I don't know the power of Simmons pod. Something I don't know there is. I just got a message. I'm not gonna say who, uh it's regarding, but I just got a message from Fox pr that, uh, a newspaper wants to do a write up on my Timberwolves future a right of story on the Timbrels future local. I'm I'm gonna have to Here's the thing. I am a public person. The folks I'm sharing the bet with maybe are not quite as public as me. All Right, we'll see. I just got that text while I was talking about liking ratings subscribing review to the podcast. All right, let's talk Nick sixers.
Speaker 3: So the Knicks won, and they had a close one for the first time in a while in these playoffs. Yesterday during the tiers, you said that the Knicks are playing almost too well. Is this more like what you're expecting from them moving forward?
Speaker 1: Well, no, Listen, I thought yesterday as a really solid win by them, and they're not gonna We talked about this a lot, but they were the first team in the history of the NBA to win three straight playoff games by twenty five points. Just blowing teams out every single night in the playoffs is not really a thing, as evidenced by the fact nobody had done what the Knicks did, and so yeah, it it is not surprising that they finally actually had a close game and a game that it looked like at various times Philly might steal. It's also not surprising at all, Demons that Philly ran out of gas. They were a thin team with Embiid without him. They're so they're starters with EMBIID. Their starting lineup is EMBIID, obviously, Paul George Ubre, Maxi Edgecombe. Those four guys, their regular non EMBIID starters played forty three minutes, forty minutes, forty minutes, and forty seven for Maxi, And so when that happens, you're just gonna be on fumes. Our guy, Quinton Grimes had a bit of a rough game. He's got to listen. They're asking a lot of them, but he had you know, he had a decent look at a three with twenty five seconds left down five didn't hit it. And Drummond's just not gonna be able to give you a ton of productive minutes. Bona is not gonna be able to give you a ton of productive minutes, which means you are going to be playing small with Paul George as your biggest guy on the court. You're gonna be playing an undrafted guy Dominique Barlow, who actually was okay last night, probably a few more minutes than you would like. Meanwhile, the Knicks going into the game are fully healthy. And because it's not the Tibbs Knicks, it's the Mike Brown Knicks, their bench guys are used to playing. And so Carkson and Sham and Alvarado and Hucked Porty pardon me.
Speaker 2: Really do anything this scene in this game?
Speaker 1: No, but he gave the guys rest. No, you're the bench didn't do much, but you can just it allows It allows Towns and Bridges and Og all those guys to not play forty some They're still playing huge minutes. Don't get me wrong, Josh Hart played massive minutes. But they can get breathers when they need them. Now. I'm scared of hamstring injuries, and OG seemed to hurt his hamstring. He has had hamstring issues before. OG has been having the playoffs of its life. Man, yea, this even going out with injury yesterday. This postseason, OG and Nanobi is playing thirty five minutes a game averaging twenty one point seven rebounds on here is splits sixty two percent from the field, fifty four percent from three. He has been just on fire for two and a half weeks now, I I am anxious about what his actual status is for the rest of the series. Hamstring injuries scare me and they tend not to just go away, So that is, you know, that is the primary concern for the next coming out of this game Philly. It's really hard to handicap Philly because I have no idea what Imbeds health is gonna be. And in Game one it looked like he got his knee hurt a couple times, but he missed this game with ankle and hip injuries, so I don't so I don't really know, you know, what his status is With a healthy Embiid, particularly if Og is out, I think Philly can win both the games in Philly, and it can be too two going back to New York. I think Philly has Guy for Guy the talent to match the Knicks, even if they're not as deep as the Knicks. But without Embiid, I don't think Philly has the horses. And that then gets me to something I just want to say big picture about EMBIID. I don't know if there's a player who I feel worse for as far as where it looks like his career is going to go because of injury. And we have had plenty of guys demons who have had career altering or ending injuries, but in a very odd way, this seems a different type of cruel. Like listen, Derek Rose blew out his knee and his career was never the same. It was one moment, a specific thing. Bill Walton, who will be the EMBID comp destroyed his foot and his career was never the same. Grant Hill had, you know, basically a botched ankle surgery and his career was never the same. That is, the career altering or the career ending injury is something that we have seen throughout sports history. EMBIID is so different, and to me it would be if it were me, it would be a different type of frustration because it's so many despair it and seemingly unrelated ailments. He's number three pick of the draft. He missed the first two years of his career dealing with foot problems. He then throughout his career dealt with various knee issues. He then won year in the playoffs, got elbowed in the final seconds of a game and got I think a broken eye socket. It was either it was either skull or eye socket, but it was just right, like he had nothing to do with his previous injury. He then in one postseason got Bell's poulsy and half his face collapsed and he could he was like squinting, he couldn't open his eye. This year he gets a pin to Sited's. It just feels so random and unfair that he likely is going to It's one thing to injure your career and be like, you know what, I've got it. This sucks and I've just got to eat it. But I wasn't good enough to get over the hump. Instead, he might end his career saying and I don't know, I don't know it. You know what it was going to be. And that's why it was so exciting when they had to comeback against Boston because they were the underdog. He had the appended is I think most people have chalked up all, right, another brutal luck year, and then it's like, holy shit, is this the year they break through? And then he gets banged up hip and ankle in game one and he's out for Game two. It's just it just.
Speaker 2: Sucks to get through.
Speaker 3: It seems like he tries to come back every single time as soon as he possibly, trying.
Speaker 1: To do everything he can, and it might just be, you know, his body is not built for this. Just he's too big and it's too And again I'm not early in his career. He could have done more to stay in better shape and to you know, take care of himself better. I understand that he oddly, I don't know if you know this demands. He was like famous for having like an insane Shirley Temple habit, like like a dozen like just just with yeah, I think and so like we're good the yeah, but drinking your calories is never a good way if you're a peak, you know, athlete. Yeah, uh and so and so he would be a little heavy and that would, you know, wear on him. It'd be harder for him stay in shape, all those things. I get that. I'm not saying he has handled everything perfectly, but man, he does not deserve this level of bad luck. And the Sixers can't win the series without him.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Yeah, just on the Philly side. Like I mean, it's also shout out to him for sticking with him through it all.
Speaker 1: But geez, I mean, he's He's one of the greatest scoring sinners of all time. He has multiple years averaging more than thirty points. He's won multiple scoring championships, He's won an MVP, and he just has such a hard time getting to the finish line. And it almost happened by default this year. And I'm a big proponent of teams not tanking, and the customers, you know, or they're paying customers, take the regular season seriously. All of that. I would almost put Embiid in a separate category. And if the Sixers next year, said Joel Embiid is not playing in a single game until game fifty five, and starting with game fifty five he is going to play twice a week ramping up to the playoffs, I would try it. I honest to god, I would like, see, is it.
Speaker 3: Possible, by right?
Speaker 1: Is it possible that the lesson for Embiid is he can give you at this point forty games. And if that's the case, do you need to save twenty five of those? You would hope for the postseason and ramp them up that way. I don't know what else you do. Oh yeah, well it's Basketball Hall of Fame. So yes, first ballot, you win an MVP, you're a Hall of Famer. And but he has missed more games in his career than he's played. Okay, And it's just it's such a unique, such a unique career. All right, let's talk OKAC and then let's talk Lakers.
Speaker 3: So we'll get to the Lakers side of it in a second. But you had a bone to pick with the reigning MVP, and it just so happens that the internet agrees with you.
Speaker 2: We got a sweet for you, guys.
Speaker 1: Because of the we're saying. They agreed with me because of the numbers on it. Yes, so I said, call me old fashioned, but I think the soon to be two time MVP should drive to the basket with the intent to score instead of driving to the basket with the intent to trick the ref. And I guess it did good numbers. So I'm going to go kind of meta here for a moment because thunder fans. Demont's thunder fans are so on tilt about this specific criticism that there is a level of spiraling that is rare to see. I am. Of all the takes I've had in my whole career, this is the one that you know what, I'm getting hit with you racist for real? They're like, where where are you say? I had somebody say, oh, this coming from the guy who loves Joker, and I'm like, man, you guys are really on tilt right now. So and again that's a total you know what sidebar to the sidebar two. I have two points on the Lebron flopping stuff. One is the clip that that goes around everywhere of Lebron snapping his head back when he gets swiped at that angle, it looks like he doesn't get touched. And then if you actually remember that game or you see the non gift angle, he gets hit in the face, he gets stone hit in the face and be like, this is Lebron flopping? Now look what is here? Is what I tell me if you think I'm being If.
Speaker 3: This is different styles of whatever, it's so different.
Speaker 1: Fact we need different words for it. Like what what Lebron has done forever is if you actually touch his face, he will act like a sniper hit him like the and that and by the way, that's only if it's in the open court or after the play's completed. And that's where Lebron's been, you know, had some bad ones where he gets he's driving to the basket, gets hit on the head. The hit on the head clearly does not bother him. He tries to finish the layup, and then once the basketball part's done, he's grabbing his head. He's like, ah, like that. So and if you're out in the open court guarding him and you hit him, you know, hit him, graze his nose, He's gonna snap his head back. That that is.
Speaker 2: It's a little bit of embellishing.
Speaker 1: It's it's right. It is a and you can hate that, you can whatever. I'm not the I'm not defending it. I'm just saying it is a separate category of what Lebron has never done. And this is and I don't think and Luca is a flopper, but what those guys don't do is drive to the basket with the intent, with no intent whatsoever, of shooting the ball or making a basket. And I am not saying like it is. It is a different thing entirely, this specific thing that Shay was doing in that first quarter, that infuriates people the just random flail throw the ball to try to get a foul. And by the way, I am not arguing that Shae only does that. Shae is one of the most prolific drivers to the basket. He he does very often get actually fouled and still finish. He is a great player. But one of the clubs in his bag that he goes to more often than any other all time great player is the just cartoonish flailing about throwing his own self to the ground to get a call. And it's technical.
Speaker 3: It's a technical in theory it should be.
Speaker 1: And Thunder fans can't accept that winning a championship get you the championship and the bragging rights and the belt, but it does not get you necessarily love, and at times it doesn't even get you as much respect as you think you deserve. And oddly, you know the person who could have told thunder fans that a person that Thunder fans, many of them feel exactly that way about his championships. Former Thunder Kevin Durant. Kevin Durant left the Thunder went to Golden State, played ten out of ten ten basketball in those playoff runs. One championships yet Thunder fans and a lot of other people like, yeah, but yeah, but it's like, what do you mean I'm Finals MVP. What do you mean I played great? What do you mean we won the championship? Yeah? But and Shay's historyonics particularly and I've talked to this a lot, along with Dort's rugby are yeah, but about how the general public's gonna feel about that team. It just is. And then you add to it, what I think is a really in The most interesting thing demon say about Game one of Lakers Thunder was the refs didn't get tricked and it really threw Shaye off. He had his worst game of the year. Terrible.
Speaker 2: Look, man, you came out a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 3: You're screaming at the crowd saying you don't need it, you need it, you need it a little bit, man, And it's like, how dare you come out and say you don't need it.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing. Do I think Shaye would be one of the five best players in the league if free throws were abolished?
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I think He's that skilled, Like if it was just like every time you get fouled, it's just side out and which would then make it to where there would be no incentive to ever flop. You'd just be like, well, you're just gonna have to start the possession over. I still think he would be a great player, and if free throws were abolished, I think the Thunder would still be the best team in the league. I do I believe that. But do I think he would have had it would have one hundred and forty consecutive games of twenty points?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Do I think he would be fifty five percent on thirty to a game as a guard? No? And do I think Game one of this round was evidence to that? Yes, because what I think has happened a lot, and people can say, look at his free throw numbers, like Luca shoots more free throws. Luca is great at foul baiting, There's no doubt about it. And Luca can flop a bit too, But it is the what Shay does early in these games sets the precedent for you can't actually guard me if you get anywhere relatively close. I have mastered tricking the officials, and I will early in the game get to the line. You then will have no choice but to adjust how you guard me. Now, I can get to any spot I want on the court. I'm the best mid range player the league has seen in twenty years minimum, and now I'm unguardable. That doesn't work quite as well in the postseason, which is why over the last two years of basketball, Shay has scored twenty plus in one hundred and forty straight regular season games and in twenty eight of his playoff games. I'm sorry, and in four of his playoff games of his twenty eight he hasn't. And so I don't. I don't know what thunder fans want me to say other than let me say, let me put it like this. It is, and maybe this will reach a few thunder fans who are also I'm sure NFL fans, whether they're Chiefs fans, owned remind me say something about the Chiefs thing. In a second, Chiefs fans or Cowboys fans or whoever they're, you know, because Oklahoma City doesn't have a team. It's a little tush pushy. Yeah, it's legal, it's effective, and you're the champ. Everybody ain't gonna like it, and everybody ain't gonna respect it, and you can, like, you can do it all you want, but it's not going to be as admirable as you would like. Here's the thing I want to say about the Chiefs, because here's another thing Thunder fans are high on me saying blaming the refs is for losers. When it came to the chief stuff and me talking about because the Chiefs are champs, everyone's now blaming the officials. I want to make something very clear. I stand by all of that, because the chief's equivalent of what the Thunder conversation is the lunatics on the internet who's like, hey, the head of officiating used to be a thunderfan, or hey, this ref is wearing Shay's shoes. That shit is stupid. I do not think there is a conspiracy to help Oklahoma City. I do not think the fix is in. I do not think the refs are doing this on purpose, that the narrative on Kansas City was the fix is in they need the Chiefs to be good for ratings. I'm not saying any of that. I'm saying something very different. Your star player is an actor some of the time, and I don't like it. That's what I'm saying, and so it is. I'm not blaming the refs. I'm simply saying I find it unsporting, and what happened in the first quarter of that game was pretty unbecoming of the MVP demonse. It looked like you wanted to say something.
Speaker 3: So you're not blaming the refs. I think the refs have a big, a big play in this, Like they can control it very easily, like SGA can do that all he wants to. I think the refs have so much control over the situation where it's like, hey man, maybe just not be bamboozled like this. You guys watch the games right like.
Speaker 1: It's so so I think that's a great point. So let me so. I think the refs could be and should be better on this. But when I say I'm not blaming the refs, what I mean is I am not saying, OKC one because of the officials. OKAC is winning because of a bad call. I'm not saying that like that. When the blame the refs to me is like the sorry Bills fans, but the Bills in the game against the Broncos, who were like, it was a catch, it was a catch, we win the like we would have won the game, but the refs cost us. That's the blaming the ref stuff that I don't like. I do think the league should enforce its anti flopping stuff, and the refs should be better at determining whether or not a there was real contact and b not rewarding guys who don't appear like they're actually trying to go score.
Speaker 3: In this shame of the other team getting a free throw because you flopped, I think would just knit that in the bud so fast.
Speaker 1: Oh, I like that. That's a good point. That's a good point.
Speaker 3: And then it's like your teammate is gonna be like, hey man, chill out.
Speaker 1: I hadn't even thought of that, but I think that's a good point. Just the embarrassment of that piece of it, all right. I do want to talk about the actual game here in a second, But first, boost Mobile is proving that you don't have to overpay for great wireless. Unlock the savings with the twenty dollars a month forever unlimited plan, permanent price with no contracts and no price action. Keep your phone and your number, but you save up to six hundred dollars a year compared to the major carrier. Stop overpang and switch to a fair price at boostmobile dot Com today based on average annual single line payment of AT and T and ver of AT and T, Verizon and T Mobile customers, compared to twelve months on the boost Mobile Unlimited plan as of January twenty twenty six. For full offer details, visit boostmobile dot Com. Another reminder everybody to please subscribe to the pod on YouTube, iTunes and or Spotify. All right, Demanda, let's talk about the actual game.
Speaker 3: Austree you have the worst playoff shooting performance in Lakers history. And Luca also confirmed a timeline on his healing that doesn't have him cod an eight week timeline, by the way, that doesn't have him coming back into the Western Conference finals? Is it time for Los Angeles to wave the wife.
Speaker 1: A listen if Luca's not coming back. There's not a lot paths you can find to winning this series. There's just it's and there's no shame in that I do. However, there are some interesting angles. The rest of the series is very important for Austin Reeves. He's been eaten up by the thunder this year and how many demand how often this year did I have to listen to Lebron's the third best player on the Laker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot, a lot.
Speaker 1: To the point where if if I even said Lebron's the second best guy, people be like this Homer and I like Austin. I think Austin's an excellent player. I do. I do think it's fair to question whether or not if he is your second best player, are you a championship caliber team? I do? And that's I'm talking about like post Lebron Lakers stuff because a lot of the year, some la some folks who call themselves Laker fans but are actually just Kobe fans and actually not, you know, kind of anti Lebron, even though we brought him a championship, have been counting down the minutes till we can get this albatross off our books and start the Luke Austin Reeves era, move on from Lebron, Max out Austin, get cooking. I'm old enough to remember my pal Rich Paul saying, Hey, if the Lakers are serious about winning a championship this year, Austin Reeves might be the most valuable trade piece. He talked about. In Austin Reeves Jaron Jackson Junior Trade, he talked about using Austin in a package where Luke and Lebron can be your lead dogs on offense. Now that for this year, that would have been a moot point anyway, if Luca still suffered this injury. But so much of the Lakers moves the last few years have been as if they are at least a tiny bit annoyed that Lebron hasn't fallen off the cliff yet. And the moment this season it looked like, okay, okay, father times finally caught up posts Attica when his numbers were down. How many times did we fucking have to see Lakers Lebron on court, Lakers Lebron off court those numbers. Then the moment that started to happen, we get the long ESPN article with the reporting of yeah, Genie Buss is, you know, excited to get out of the Lebron business. They're excited to turn the page. And then fast forward to Sinko to Mayo twenty twenty six. Luca is out with a soft tissue injury. Austin has the least efficient shooting performance in a playoff game in the history of the franchise, and Lebron James thoroughly and comprehensively outplays the soon to be two time MVP is the best player on the goddamn court once again, and folks are talking about, yeah, maybe we'd want him back, but only at a huge pay cut. Okay, I mean, y'all can have that opinion. I don't know what you've seen this postseason that makes you think Lebron James is still not one of the guys in the league that's worth the max. I certainly don't know what you've seen this postseason that would make you think, Yeah, listen, we love Lebron, and Lebron's an all time legend, but if we're trying to win a championship, like you know, Austin Reeves is just clearly more impactful. Really, and again, I really like Austin a lot, and I would be in the business of paying Austin a ton of money. But we just watched a forty one year old be the best player on the court in a series in a game against the Oklahoma City Thunder, and it wasn't near enough because the Lakers kind of paused going for a championship as far as team building to a post Lebron era. Meanwhile, Lebron's still the most reliable guy they got and Luke evidently is weeks away. It's been five now, by the way, somebody screwed up the reporting on this, or either someone screwed up the reporting or Lucas behind schedule because when he gotn't nobody yeah, well correct, And the original reporting I thought was three to five weeks, maybe it was four to six weeks. At no point did I hear six to eight weeks, And now Lucas saying no, it's just flat eight weeks two months.
Speaker 2: So I.
Speaker 1: The playoffs are always a fun little microscope to see who is and who isn't actually impactful, and again this is not. I want to make this incredibly clear. I really like Austin Reeves and I think he'll be better tonight. I also want to make this clear, Austin Reeves has done tremendous work, tremendous work honing his skills this offseason. He needs to do a little more work just getting physically stronger like that. One of the reasons he has such trouble against the Thunder is all those guys are just so much stronger than him, and I think he will and I think he's going to be a laker. I think they're probably gonna max him out, and you know, he's one of the best undrafted players ever, like literally one of the best undrafted players ever. But there was a lot of chirpin about folks being excited for the Lebron era to end, about needing to move off, about turning the page, and Luke all of a sudden's out two months. Austin is struggling mightily and Lebron's just there out playing Shay. All right, Demonse, let's talk Draymond for a second.
Speaker 3: I feel like all I have to say for this one is Draymond Green was on the inside the NBA show last night, then you but he might have ruined the expectations for Golden State fans. He said success might not be for us at this point, and at this point a championship. You also Cook Barkley, Barkley saying that the hopes are to just not look like you did in the Houston uniform. You wanted to talk about this, so let's go.
Speaker 1: I'm here, I'm just deciding how I want to phrase this and how harsh I want to be or not. I'm going to give Draymond Green some very friendly advice in the spirit of how close he is with some of my most respected friends and colleagues, and you know, one of my closest friends is a very close friend of his. If you want to be good on television, Draymond, you have to be able to laugh at yourself, particularly if you are going to be a harsh critic of others. Take it from me, buddy, like I get to be all somewhat arrogant, annoying chesty. I also three weeks ago put on a clown nose and rainbow wig, and I was the one that alerted the world. I picked an NBA finals where both teams got popped in round one. What used to be Turner Sports and now you know that's kind of gone. But inside the NBA has clearly been hoping and grooming you to one day takeover for Charles freaking Barkley, maybe the greatest sports television performer ever. And in that entire time, for as bright as you are, you have not realized Barkley's key to his broadcast brilliant is he relishes being the butt of the joke. He gives it and he takes it with a smile. And Draymond's total lack of any ability to laugh at himself, makes some of his TV clips peak curb your enthusiasm. Uncomfortable to watch the clip of him yesterday. Keep in mind this is on the heels of him trying to go high school resume for high school resume with Austin Rivers, which I mean, like, what are we doing? And Austin Rivers, who obviously it was not twenty five percent of the pro that Draymond was, but is five hundred percent of the broadcaster. Austin Rivers in his response, was like, hey, buddy, here's where your facts were wrong. We weren't the same high school player. We weren't the same college player. But by the way, you have me clocked in the pros, I give it to you. Obviously you do, and immediately Austin Rivers eight miling is on NBA career. It removes any type of AMMO you have. And then he just kept killing you. But on the heels of that that clip yesterday when Draymond says the goal is to not look like Charles in Houston, and Charles, who I gotta think, knew what he was doing. Instead of lightening the tension by chuckling, just stared at him silently and then let Draymond continue to try to dig himself deeper. It was. It took me three instances to be able to get through it because it was such uncomfortable, awful television. And do you know how high the cringe factor has to be to make inside the freaking NBA uncomfortable television to the greatest sports TV show that or PTI the greatest sports TV shows ever. And Ernie was there, and Chuck was and Kenny was there. And it took forty five seconds of Draymond Green being delusional for me to be like, I can't ah like that, that feeling of like, oh god stop. And the worst part about it all demons seems fucking wrong. Chuck's first year in Houston was awesome. There is the idea and this is where this is a great example of where ring culture.
Speaker 2: It is tied to the heads.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bro, Draymond Green's a Hall of Famer. He's one of the greatest defensive players of all time. I've said time and again I think he's the second most important warrior ever, not Klay Thompson. I believe all of those things. He also is not in the same room of greatness as Charles freaking Barkley an even old, out of shape Charles Barkley in Houston was doing work. And the idea that Chuck was some that Chuck with Houston was.
Speaker 2: He's like Shack with Phoenix. I feel like he was trying.
Speaker 1: To yes or shoot. He's trying to call him maybe Shack with the Celtics or with the Cats, like the late late Shack, or that it was Ewing with the Magic. No, it was not his first year there. They made the conference finals and he was awesome. He was for his four years there. He was sixteen and twelve. Do you know the last time Draymond Green? I understand their different players in not stats, guy, do you know the last time Draymond Green averaged sixteen points a game? Honest to god? The answer to that, uh no, Michigan State. That's the last time. So don't give And by the way, I don't have that. I'm pulling up as college debts now. I'm gonna check to make sure. I would imagine he averaged sixteen at Michigan State. Yeah, final year at Michigan State sixteen point two. I mean, give me a break, bro, and Charles can annoy the hell out of me. But I'm not gonna sit here and let you recreate history on who he was as a player. Yeah, even though Charles does kind of sometimes try to recreate history that he wasn't ring chasing there, that he didn't join a team that was a year removed winning back to back championships, and that he was joining a former MVP and a team and he was a former MVP. When he goes after Lebron, he's like, I was old and washed when I joined Houston. That's why it's okay that I joined him with Clyde in a team and then Scotty joined two. It wasn't that the Houston had beaten me in back to back playoff series, so then I teamed up with him to try to finally get over them, and I still couldn't despite all that. Here's the thing, here's why I think Draymond made a mistake. Charles has for so long downplayed how good he was when he went to Houston because he has wanted to criticize Kevin Durant for joining the Warriors and Lebron for joining the Heat. He has made people think, oh, when Charles joined Houston, he must have sunned. No, he did not, no, he did not. The year before Charles joined Houston, he was top ten at MVP voting. Three years before he won it, and two years before a Keeam won it, he was still awesome. I just I Charles' first year in Houston, he was nineteen and fourteen, nineteen and fourteen with five assists. They made the conference finals. His final year in Houston, when he's like, I was washed and I was terrible, he was fifteen and ten fifteen and ten. I mean again now that year, to be fair, he was injured and he wasn't like he was not Charles Barkley, but when he played, he was effective. I just I can't.
Speaker 3: I just can't come on look like legit, angry, ready to do something. When he said that.
Speaker 1: I had, I I can't. Again, folks, you don't nobody needs to take broadcasting advice from me. With that said, I've got an annoying voice, a ridiculous nose. I didn't play sports past high school, and I've done pretty well, so you know, take it for what you will. If you want to be a flamethrower, you've got to be totally fine with laughing with everybody when you're the one getting burnt and that is a pitch that Draymond's never learned, and unless he does, his peak broadcasting will be podcast by himself as opposed to the Diamond Studio show that has been desperately wanting to develop him for five years. So, you know, choose your own adventure free advice like all you know, if I ever need for some reason to learn how to play arguably the greatest help side defense in the history of the NBA, you owe me one. But in the meantime, take you know what, Take this one on the House Mailbag episode tomorrow. Talk to you guys then, Thank you Blue Dock, thank you Volume, thank you Hard Rock, thank you Boost. What's right