Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Past Podcast. It is Monday, August fourteenth. The Ravens were back on the practice field this afternoon after pre season opener of victory over the Eagles on Saturday. After practice, which is a light practice, head coach John Harball address the media.
Speaker 2: Okay, first of all, before we get started, I want to I want to welcome to the family of Eli A. Gonzalez who are here today. Had a chance to talk with them, Elia's mom, amazing kids, what a great family it is, and what a tragedy it was. And I just want to say, and I know we say this, but we're determined to do the things that we can do, partner with their family, our foundation and others to make a difference in these areas that are experience in this trauma and this violence, which has to end. There's no reason for it. And just thank them for being here, for the love that they have for each other, for the great family that they are and continue to be like.
Speaker 3: We all strive to be just like them.
Speaker 2: So I just want to welcome them here and thank them for coming out.
Speaker 3: Okay, we got all the.
Speaker 2: Kids out here today again and we appreciate that and we had a good, good practice. We're excited about the Commanders coming in tomorrow and Wednesday to practice.
Speaker 3: Were looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: Ron and I have talked extensively about the practices and the practice schedule and the format and the tempos and all those things, and we're on the same page. You're actually going to meet with them tonight. Some of their players are coming up tonight. We'll meet with some of our players and get on the same page with the drills and things like that. That's always helpful. We've done that over the years, and we're excited about that part of it too. So we just can't wait to have two productive days against a very good football team, a very well coached team. We're looking forward to that. So what questions you have to meet with Godler, Well, we made it normal to meet with them. Sometimes we do it the day of we're practicing in the morning. So we decided to do it, you know, tonight when they come up, they're gonna they're gonna branch off for that group and come over here, and I think they wanted to see the set up too, so but I think it is normal to just try to get together beforehand and build a plan kind of everybody communicate and try to get the most out of it we can.
Speaker 3: General. We kept asking the past few weeks about take Dobbinson's out there on the field. How's it feeling to have him back on the field.
Speaker 2: It feels good to have him back there on the field. He's excited. We're all excited. We'll probably ramp him up a little bit this week and kind of work him in there and try to be smart in how we do it. But uh, but he'll he'll be fine. He's he's he's one hundred percent healthy.
Speaker 3: It looks good. He's been training hard, so he's ready to go. John, why didn't today work work out to be the day?
Speaker 2: I you know, I don't know. I think it just worked out for whatever reasons it worked out. I'm just try not to look at it too deeply and be grateful John.
Speaker 3: Hell's Hell's tias bells are progressing. It does it get to a point where they're concerned about him being ready.
Speaker 2: For a record. It hasn't gotten to that point. They feel good about it. I mean, you know, it's just a it's a it's an agitated knee. I guess there's not really anything other to say about that, and I think they are being cautious.
Speaker 3: I will say, uh, and they.
Speaker 2: Feel like today they did say his hee look the best. It's luck, you know, swelling things like that. So you know, I know he'll be back for the season. But I know as well as you can know. You know there's not a serious problem in there. It's just him getting right for him to play to his highest level.
Speaker 3: John, we didn't see James crochet out. There is everything going right with him after Saturday's game.
Speaker 2: Sure, James had a contusion kind of a hip back, kind of buttocks thing type thing, so he could have practice tomorrow maybe, but I don't know if he will just we may. We may just hold him out another day or not. We had a couple of other things. Tyler has a hamstring tweak, so we'll be conscious with that for a little while here. We're not going to be in a hurry on that one either. I think about the hamstrings. You just don't want to redo it, you know, you want to you don't want to re injure it. We want We really have been very cautious with the ham strings of late, so we'll probably continue that trend.
Speaker 3: I'm toad you guys didn't have very many offensive steps in the years to have in these games that impact at all.
Speaker 1: How you allocated playing.
Speaker 3: Time for the next year.
Speaker 2: Well, not for the practices because they're just set up already. It's kind of even offensive defense. It may have some you know, I think the starters are going to get a lot of reps these next two practices, so they didn't play in the game, so it probably won't pact as much as all that. But the other guys want to practice too, so they'll be out there and it'll be just kind of what it is.
Speaker 3: John, going back and looking at it with the own tas Saturn Night, wouldn't the biggest struck for you is like that their kings went nation all like, yeah, exactly. I mean that's how you always feel, Pete, no doubt.
Speaker 2: I think I really appreciated was the aspect of what we would call winning football, which is why I wore the T shirt today. I thought our guys understood that we played situational football very well. The high leverage situations we did very well in you know, the sudden changed situations, the turnovers we created, some of the short yarded situations. I thought we did really well with it. You know, a two minutes and both ends, both the end of the half. Then we came out and scored with the first drive, which is a big deal around halftime, and then two minut and at the end of the game and four minute to finish. Those are all things that have been emphasises for us, and that was really why the game was won in the end.
Speaker 3: It wasn't that we outplayed anybody. We probably didn't.
Speaker 2: They probably did, you know, because they played very well, But we won the game because of those things.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's Saturday.
Speaker 1: You guys had four sacks, look out a lot of pressure, but it seemed like there was a place that just over ninety percent of the way in there and not getting home. Are there any specific adjustments that joll counting for sacks, gfl as ways that you.
Speaker 3: Look kept up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean four sacks pretty good, you know, so we're we're not complaining about that, but you know there were more that were close and sometimes you don't get there. I mean, that's a big, physical, good offensive line. The ball comes out quick with that offense. You know, they got the ball at quick on some seams and some fades. I thought that they made some good throws and catches on that was really the bulk of their offense and quarterbacks scrambles. They did run the ball a little bit more with the inside zone stuff for their temple than we would want to see, so we want to firm that up. But mostly it's the seams and the fades and the quarterback scrambles is where they got most of their yards.
Speaker 3: We know when the center squad practices, they can get pretty intense. Where you expected the intensity level to be at what instant.
Speaker 2: Teas, Oh, I mean, as it's gonna be an intense practice, there's no doubt because that's that's how these guys are.
Speaker 3: You know, they're they're they're they always are.
Speaker 2: You know, the NFL teams always practice very well and very hard, and especially when you go against each other, you want to put your best foot forward, and we want to put our best foot forward in every way. We're gonna put our best foot forward in terms of how we how we execute our effort, our attention to detail, and we're here for football. We won't get the work done. That's what we'll be focusing on and that's what we're gonna try to do.
Speaker 3: It as some bodies that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jalen, Jalen is real close. Rock Is is not quite as close as Jalen, but still close. So you know pretty soon, you know, like maybe to the game. Arthur Mallett again, real close, same category. Uh, Damarian's different. Damarian's gonna get surgery again on his ankle. Unfortunately it's gonna be It's not gonna be a season ender. It'll be early season, October maybe something like that.
Speaker 3: He'll be back. But what happens is the screw in there.
Speaker 2: It caused it bone to crack a little bit, the screw that was in the surgery, and that's something that does happen sometimes, we were told. So that's where he's at. Unfortunately for him and for us in that sense, we did bring in Tay. He saw that, so we're excited to get get a look at him. He's out here today and uh, he'll be He'll be thrown right into the fire.
Speaker 3: You can add any other com least good. And you think that'll help you out for the new season, Well, it'll help us out for now.
Speaker 2: And the door is still open corner in safety. We'll still be looking at guys, uh to see if we could add some help.
Speaker 3: Is the greatest concern is not having the f guys to practice some player? Is it more not getting the chance to evaluate.
Speaker 2: It if you wanted to get it with these reason both know I mean you want you want guys to get the reps and a value. We kind of know our guys. There is some evaluation, but also just development. That's really important for guys who miss. But also you don't want more reps going on when you have one position get light than those The guys who are practicing take a little more rep more reps than you want to take in the day, or more at risk.
Speaker 3: So we're really conscious to that that's very important.
Speaker 1: That was head coach John Horrible discussing Monday's practice and providing injury updates on several players ahead of this week's joint practices with the Washington Commanders. Now, those practices will take place here at the Under Armed Performance Center on Tuesday and on Wednesday. We're gonna stream those practices for you so you can get a look at everything that's happening during those joint sessions. The practices begin tomorrow morning, so we're gonna stream those starting at ten am. Both on Tuesday and on Wednesday. You can watch that on the Ravens website, mobile app, and on our YouTube channel. We're also going to do full breakdowns of everything that we see out there at practice with recap podcasts over at the Lounge podcast Feed, so check that out as well. Subscribe here at the Presspass and the Lounge Podcast Feed, and make sure you leave a rating and a review. That's it for us today, Thanks for listening. Talk with you again tomorrow