Speaker 1: Calling all my Sweetish to the forefront.
Speaker 2: I'm your host, Chris Rhne Hazel, and this is the Keep It Positive Sweetish Show. Welcome to Keep It Positive, sweetye, the place where we he'll grow and learn together through honest conversations. I am so excited because today we are kicking off season twelve, and this season we are centering everything around one word purpose, not just finding it, but trusting it. And I couldn't think of a better person to help us start that conversation.
Speaker 1: And I'm so glad to be sitting with Karrie Hilson.
Speaker 2: Today's guest is a Grammy nominated singer, songwriter, actress, and creative whose artistry has left an undeniable mark on music.
Speaker 1: From unforgettable hits.
Speaker 2: Like and Knock You Down, Pretty Girl Rock and turning me on to writing songs for some of the biggest artists in the industry, She's built a career defined by talent, versatility, and authenticity, and now she's ushering in a new era with We Need to Talk, her first studio album in fifteen years. Released in three distinct chapters, the project invites listeners to conversations about healing, purpose and reclaiming your voice on your own terms. Sweet please give a very warm welcome to the one and only Carrie Hilson.
Speaker 1: Carrie, thank you so much for stopping by. Thank you. We've been trying to get you over here for so long. I feel like we've changed day like five times.
Speaker 2: That's how you know it's gonna be good. Yes, it's gonna be really, really good. I'm so excited. I met you a few years ago. We were doing a series at BMW had called on Court exactly, and immediately we hit it off. It was an instant connection, and I just loved your story, hearing about who you are and like how you got to where you were as a really cool event that we did. And I haven't really gotten to see you much because Instagram keeps you in touchee time, right, So I'm so happy to have you here.
Speaker 1: You have new music out, which we're gonna talk about.
Speaker 2: But before we get into that, I want to play a little game just to break the ice. Okay, So your new album is called We Need to Talk. So we're gonna play a game called leave a Voicemail. Yes, So I'm gonna give you little scenarios or people to leave a voicemail too, and you're just gonna the first thing that comes to mind.
Speaker 1: Leave a quick voicemail. Okay, ready, all right, all right. Voicemail number one your younger self. Ooh. First voicemail is to little Carrie. Leave her a message.
Speaker 3: Hey, Carrie, is gonna be a beautiful and wild ride. But you are gonna follow that dream you have.
Speaker 1: And you're gonna be so proud of yourself. Just hang in there. I love that. Voicemail number two.
Speaker 2: Leave a voicemail for the version of yourself that made the decision to step away from music.
Speaker 1: In real time or hindsight. Hindsight.
Speaker 3: Okay, Carrie, I'm really proud of you for fighting for what you need to do. Follow your heart, be authentic to your needs. No one will understand, absolutely no one. You're gonna lose some people that work with you. You're gonna lose some fans. You're gonna lose people. No one's gonna understand. Everyone's gonna question you, but only you know. So do what it is you need to do. I'll see you on the other side of this.
Speaker 1: So good, so good. Voicemail the number three, This is the last one.
Speaker 2: Okay, leave a voicemail for your fans who waited all these years for new music.
Speaker 3: A Carrie Crew, thank you for sticking it out, thank you for caring. Thank you for encouraging me along the way. You were my light in many times of darkness and doubt, and I thank you for that. I thank you for defending me. I thank you for every comment, every request, every post, every ticket you've bought, every every like you've tapped.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I don't take your granted, your support for granted. It means the world to me, and you are a big motivator for me. So thank you.
Speaker 1: I can. I cannot say that enough. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Carry crew. That is beautiful. I love that, Carrie. Thank you so good. Thank you for playing along with me. Yeah. I was like, oh, we're gonna start off with some potential tears.
Speaker 2: Here we go that second one kind Yeah, yeah, that was good.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: So let's get into it. We need to talk with me something. When I'm in a relationship and I hear those two words it don't matter a friendship, relationship, whatever it.
Speaker 1: Is, I was like, oh, gosh, got to brace yourself. We need to talk about.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 3: I've only ever been the person to say it really never been with a man. It's like we need to talk. Yeah, it's never happened, So I don't know what being the receiver of it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do not know. That is so funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so when you came, when you landed on that as your title, I want to actually, who was the conversation originally for. Was it for yourself, was it for your listeners or was it for the industry.
Speaker 3: It was all all of your buff and I'm adding another one.
Speaker 1: It was for the person.
Speaker 3: I was dating.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, yeah, the album.
Speaker 3: Is about that person, but I used that well, it was about multiple things about that person. It was about my own journey of love, drama, redemption. It's kind of like a double entendre of a story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you take us on a ride, Yes, yes, yes, so.
Speaker 3: It's it's it was just I said it in the phone call on the album, which those calls are real. It's one phone call actually, yeah, but it's real, and I say it on the phone call, and that's what sparked the title. And then I was just like, oh, actually, I'm talking to my fans for the first time in a long time, talking to myself, like I'm literally by the time you get to the third section, you hear me having this like moment of realization while on that call, and I'm talking basically like just redeeming myself.
Speaker 1: You know, affirming yourself. You know that was real mm hm. So yeah, it's to everybody. I love it.
Speaker 2: So when did you know this is time you said it's a bad relationship originally you were talking to that person. When did you know it was time to make a new album and that this was the topic that you wanted to touch on.
Speaker 3: I've been knowing it was time to make an album for some time now.
Speaker 1: It was so.
Speaker 3: Overdue, Like I didn't intend for the break to be that long, but I did have some business to handle. Freedom was like a big thing this time around, like freedom, creative control.
Speaker 1: I'm not the young girl I used to be when.
Speaker 3: I entered this industry, right, Yeah, So I wanted to control my own voice. I wanted to present myself to the world the way that I knew that.
Speaker 1: In a way that I.
Speaker 3: Could stand by finally, in a way that represents me wholly, fully, authentically, and in a way that I could finally feel one hundred percent proud of who I'm showing to the world and not in.
Speaker 1: A fake way, right, yeah, and not in.
Speaker 3: A forced way, not in a you know, no other cooks in the kitchen, right.
Speaker 1: I felt like I deserved that.
Speaker 3: So that's what kind of made it a long process, except.
Speaker 1: It was like fifteen years.
Speaker 2: Yes, wow, take us through that journey, because I remember when you hit the scene you hit, you had the heavy hitters on your songs that every song was popping charted, you were killing it. What made you take a step back and say, hey, this is I need to sit down, you know, because this is like.
Speaker 1: You were on a roll. Yeah, yeah, and we were loving it. So when I think ten years, I'm like, I need the music and I'm grateful. A lot of people did feel that way because it still goes You're so still placed today.
Speaker 3: It does like you, Yeah, I get the reports and I'm like, yeah, the whole while I was away, I would like see the reports and I'm like, really, it's really.
Speaker 1: Cool because that's not a guarantee. It's not that is not a guarantee.
Speaker 3: So just you know, that would put like an extra battery in my back. But the reason for the break was both professional and personal. I was leaving an eleven year relationship, and that was really difficult, and it was at the height of everything.
Speaker 1: It was literally pretty good.
Speaker 3: Rock was like could not it was like could not have been higher right that, And professionally I just kind of felt like, Okay, I just gotta sit down, I gotta take a step back. I was kind of not myself I was I say on the album, I was looking in the mirror and not seeing me anymore.
Speaker 1: That's we've been there. That's literally what it was like.
Speaker 3: I just didn't recognize myself and I needed to take a break. And I knew it was ballsy. I knew it was risky, yes, very very risky. Yeah, but I also felt that there was no there was not going to be a way around it. I was just going to keep going on a downward trajectory. I could have turned to drugs, I could have gone, you know, life could have gone so many directions had I not at the time.
Speaker 2: So to have the wherewithal and know like I need to take a step back. Because you're young, you're hitting. You got to say you gotta strike while the irons ht you were striking, you know, so to be able to say no, I need to take a moment because it could have let down, especially at a young age.
Speaker 1: You're so impressionable.
Speaker 2: Yes, I know, you had been in the industry for a while writing and it had been your own group, and had you had I guess you still had experience, so you weren't new to it even though we were.
Speaker 3: You were new to knowing me exactly. And so that's what people don't understand. I think about the break is that I was in the industry since I was fourteen years old. So when I took that break at what twenty eight years old, yeah, I was already in the game for almost fifteen years NonStop, you know, through college, through high school through like literally not My first deal happened on my senior trip at seventeen years old.
Speaker 1: Wow, So you know, And I was in that group.
Speaker 3: From fourteen to eighteen and then we did another g you know, and throughout school. So I didn't really have in a sense, I didn't really have the teenhood, the childhood. Yeah, my life was early on dedicated to music and then writing. And then then I came out and it's like, okay, yeah, I know, I'm only a couple of years in and no one's understanding, but I dedicated so much of my life that I knew that if I don't do this now, I'm on a path to destruction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, that's real. What did you learn about yourself during that time?
Speaker 2: Because I feel like since you missed those teams, those are formative years. Yeah, you know, so taking that time off, what did you learn about yourself?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 1: So much?
Speaker 3: I learned who I am as a sister. Yeah, I lost a lot of time with my family. I was dedicating so much of my time, you know, I was missing a lot of things, trips and graduations and birthdays and all the important things death funerals I missed, you know, it was things going on. So I learned who I am as a sibling, as a daughter, as a human. I learned who I am as a young lady. I guess at the time, you know, I had to learn like what I want in relationship, what I don't want in relationship, Like I had to experience those for sure. I haven't had that many relationships in my life so still, but definitely then, yeah, yeah, it was just I learned a lot. I learned that I'm I guess, more spiritual than religious, you know, so much. So much it was.
Speaker 1: It was a.
Speaker 3: Period truly of exploration for sure. Yeah, Yeah, I went deep inside.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 2: That's good, and sometimes you need I feel like sometimes it's important to do that, take those steps back to really like explore who you are, find out what you like. Once you don't like going back, then what are some of your non negotiables that maybe carry in would have like dealt with.
Speaker 3: But now you're like, no, a lot, actually, okay, so there in relationship you mean, yeah, in relationship, I think there was a period of time. Have you ever, I'm sure as a woman, you've encountered some disloyalties cheating. I just will lump it into disloyalties for the sake of this conversation at this point. But I think if you talk to older women and women who have been married for a long time, grandparents and things like that, like they'll tell.
Speaker 1: You all men do that.
Speaker 3: You just got to learn to turn a blind eye, keep the peace.
Speaker 1: Yes, and so.
Speaker 3: Right, I hear the choir over there is but so so when you first encounter that, that that's kind of the.
Speaker 1: Feedback you're getting from women that you're consulting or with.
Speaker 3: And I tried like that was literally like me, just like, oh my god, Okay, well but it doesn't it doesn't feel good at all.
Speaker 1: It's betrayal. It's like, you know, let's call it what it is. Yes, it's betrayal.
Speaker 3: Like, but so, how am I supposed to forgive that? How am I supposed to turn a blind die? How am I supposed to be peaceful and quiet?
Speaker 1: So I just learned. Yeah, I'm not a right or die.
Speaker 3: I'm not that if that's what that means, right. I feel like I am in a lot of other ways, but that's one I just refuse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I refuse. You know, we live and we learned, and definitely I tried it.
Speaker 2: Yes, really I think we've I have been told the same thing. I've been told that when you got to pick your battles, yeah, so to speak, you know, and pick your poison, and like, are you getting eighty percent of what you want out of this? And that's just one thing that I can't stomach. I'm like, I tried it, you know.
Speaker 3: I know, And you know, I think if I were the type of woman that maybe needed financial provision, Yes, if you were providing that and I was in of that, maybe I could then kind of I guess take that easier, yeah, because I can understand that from that perspective, Like our grandparents and our great grandparents, they were being taken care of, so like what could they say. They couldn't get a house alone on a house, They couldn't like drive for a time, they couldn't vote like they some of them couldn't work.
Speaker 1: So well.
Speaker 3: I guess that depends on where you are and what region, region and age era we're talking about. Yeah, like we were in we as women were in need of men for a very long time, and I think that has some trickle effect into the advice we're getting from the elder still, but now we don't need financial provision and we literally we just need you to be good.
Speaker 2: We need you to be good as a public figure and a woman who's been successful basically all your life. Has it been hard like finding because I know I'm new to this part of my life as far as like being in the public eye and the complications when it comes to dating, has that been something that's always been a struggle for you, being like, because you've always had it together financially when we speak of like not for that.
Speaker 3: I don't know, like sometimes I feel like it's what attracts a man to me initially initially right, but then it becomes something that is the blessing turns into a curse at some point. I'm still trying to understand that because.
Speaker 1: I'm like, well, I thought you. You know what I mean, I thought you.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I got to be busy. Yeah I'm not going to be here, and no I'm not cooking tonight, like I got to pack for my flight, you know, So I guess. And I am a really giving I am a homemaking type of woman, like I am cooking a lot, I am cleaning, I am you know, or you know, decorating and arranging the home and doing all the things serving right.
Speaker 1: I love that. Yeah, but and I don't really know.
Speaker 3: What I think I've run into kind of is a of inadequacy for men that may not be above where I am. I think that's when it became the curse for those guys that kind of weren't where they wanted to be in their walk or.
Speaker 1: Finances or career.
Speaker 3: And so I think that's when I've encountered the kind of the turmoil of a man. You know, you can kind of see and hear that's spilling into our conversations. Yeah, so I think it's good, but it's also like it feels like a curse at times.
Speaker 1: It does.
Speaker 3: Have you found the No, what I do is like I pretend I ain't got I pretend this is what I'm doing, like I'm not. I just act broke. I just I'm like I play damsel. You know, I can't go as far. I think they love a damsel, but I can't go as far as to ask a man for money. Right, I just ain't got it in me. I've never been you know, but anything, I just act like I ain't got it. I just that's all I got. I'm not buying, like if I'm starting to date someone, I'm not going out and buying my dream car, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I'm not.
Speaker 3: I might hold off on moving homes, like upgrading my light. Like, no, I want to let him feel like he can do that for me.
Speaker 1: So I try to.
Speaker 3: I do kind of minimize who I am, what I own, what I have. You know, I don't tell them about certain things. That's all I got so far. That's that's all I got, is like, let me just try that.
Speaker 2: It's so funny, you said, because when I'm moving into the house I'm in now, A friend of mine's mother was like, are you really going to like move into that big house? You're never going to find a man literally is what you want? And I was like, well, I'm this age and like, I'm not waiting on somebody with that person.
Speaker 1: Never. Yeah, I'm gonna get the house, I'm gonna get the.
Speaker 3: Enjoy my life. I'm supposed to just like not enjoy my life.
Speaker 1: But she might be ono something here.
Speaker 3: I mean, you got to act like you're struggling to pay the bills or something.
Speaker 1: It's got to be something to trying to figure this out. For sure. That is hilarious.
Speaker 2: So you went through that, you go through everything to come up with this album. It's like now it's time. You knew it was time, and you wrote it. We talked about you writing it in three stages. It's three parts and you got to add another a fourth part to it. I wanted to know how did you come.
Speaker 1: Up with that?
Speaker 2: What was the whole process to getting to where we are now because we're bringing it back to present time. I just wanted to know how you got through that hiatus and how we got.
Speaker 3: Here Okay, Well that phone call really informed how the album was broken down.
Speaker 2: This is the one where you were saying, she showed me the pictures and.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, so yeah, yeah yeah. Love Drama Redemption was literally kind of the way that relationship went the way my career went, So breaking it down kind of made all the sense in the world. There were like literal turning points in the phone call the same way they were turning points in my career. So I just yeah, that was easy to determine.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then how we what was the second part you said.
Speaker 1: How we got here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like we gave you gave us the backstory of like what happened during that fifteen years.
Speaker 1: I wanted to bring it back to present.
Speaker 2: Day, like how did you even like decide to do a three part Oh yeah, I wanted to kind of get the back story.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, being gone so long, you know that your fans.
Speaker 1: Are waiting for you got to give them something. You gotta give them something, not just seven songs. Yeah, and exactly that. It was exactly that.
Speaker 3: I was like, I actually had more like twenty six at one point.
Speaker 1: Chris Brown album. Yeah, It's about to be that. It was about less and before we broke it up, it was.
Speaker 2: Songs I can imagine, specially the European game already know, yeah, records, Yeah, and there are.
Speaker 3: More that weren't gonna make this one but are already prepared for the next couple projects.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I just.
Speaker 3: Knew I wanted to give them enough. Obviously I care about quality, but I also knew that I owed them quantity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I was like, well.
Speaker 3: Let's do this, but the attention spans are very different. Let's break it up definitely, because the album already had its scenes, you know. But it was like, let's just release this and let them digest the first part, digest, second part, digest, third part.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: They're lopsided, like the first one is the longest, the second one is the next one, you know, the third one kind of short. Yeah, but that didn't matter as much as making sure that you know, people were able to take this journey and not because I know with longer albums sometimes I.
Speaker 1: Never get all the way through.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like sometimes I'm intending to and something happens or a phone call or whatever, and I never finished listening to that.
Speaker 1: So I understand that, and it could be a great body of work. You just don't make it through. Finish that album right two years ago. Right, that's me with books.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I'd be like same, Yeah, I gotta go back, I gotta get back.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: I wanted to ask you, you're back on the road now performing you were as successful last year, yes, And you just said you had a show.
Speaker 1: What do you love more?
Speaker 2: Because you're a writer, you're a singer, but you're also a performer. You like the stage or the studio better.
Speaker 3: I used to not answer this question. Really, I used to not answer it because I felt like I was betraying like people that buy tickets or fans or whatever by saying my but I'm and also I may not have realized the full truth. Yeah, now I know I prefer creating the music than recreating the music on stage. Really, Yeah, I finally came to that resolve, like in the past couple of years, Like, actually, I do have an an honest answer.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I used to say, I can't choose. You know, I like them both, and I do like things about performing. Also, but it's it's curveball city, it's sleep deprivation, it's performing at your worst often, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people don't think about that. Yeah, like, it's a lot of factors.
Speaker 2: It's what has been like the hardest, like day that you had to suck it up and get on stage.
Speaker 1: All the time.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's I can't even point one out to you. It happens a lot of the time. You know, we're not always usually we're not at our best. And then two, there's other factors going on. It's a whole technical thing so that you can give your best show. There's so many components to putting on a live show. Your monitors, you're in ears, the paddles for the receivers, for your pack and you know what I mean. Then then your wardrobe didn't stay in your pack.
Speaker 1: Oh ship, I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't even.
Speaker 1: Find the buttons.
Speaker 3: I can't find the volume. I can't reach there because my outfit. I got it on my bra and my arm is barely Yeah, but I can't hear. And then when I go to front of stage, in front of house, it's feeding back into my mic and it's making everything phase out.
Speaker 1: Like static.
Speaker 3: The other day, I had static the whole time on stage. My pack was giving my ears. So I had to kind of loosen this one I eventually had to come all the way out of that one to try to hear, but.
Speaker 1: There's still static.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I was like feeding off of the stage monitors, which are also too loud. So now I'm getting feedback in the mic. Like it's just so many things that can affect you know, and you're all amped before you go. You get on stage and you're like, it's like like your mood, it's like, oh my god, I want to fight.
Speaker 1: Somebody to fight take it out of this stage.
Speaker 3: Okay, now you're doing the dancing, it's all extra hard because you're pissed.
Speaker 2: That was hilarious, but it's so true. I had a moment when I was first starting the podcast. I was in a relationship and I was going through a breakup and I was crying in my closet before our guests had come. It was Eva Marcel, and I just remember like as soon as I got off the phone, I started crying, and then I was like, you gotta suck it up, girl, you got an.
Speaker 1: Interview to do.
Speaker 2: And then I ended up breaking down in the interview because it was just like one of those moments that we were having. Yeah, and that was a moment for me where I wasn't in a great space, but I had to get on camera be like.
Speaker 1: All right, welcome to keep a visit, sweetie.
Speaker 2: And I was not feeling positive or sweet okay, you know. And I think a lot of times as women are people like who look up to us don't see that, especially as people performers, and people have to it on, you know, at certain times. So I totally get it, and hats off to you.
Speaker 3: Thank you still doing it, you know, to do this, like anybody that does any level of entertainment understands what it takes behind the scenes and understands that stuff could just not be right, Stuff would not be good in your heart, your head, and you literally have to compartmentalize, like defragmented. Yeah, and like put the thirty percent you have into that day, right, you know, or the one hundred percent of the thirty percent capacity you.
Speaker 1: Have that right exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But I remember I remember having I was on a European tour and I was crying on stage while going through that eleven year break.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: I had never found myself crying during I was crying during the song Hustler on my first person think, So yeah, and I was crying during that song every without fail, every night, oh like oh, crowd in Germany, crowd in Austria, Sweden, cried in Norway like literally the whole way through, right, And it was that that particular song every a certain point in that song each time, like after one time my sound guy was even crying.
Speaker 1: It's like you choke me up every night.
Speaker 3: Gosh yeah, but yeah, I mean this is real and this is expression. And then we learn like it's good to do it because we're like when we're able to, we don't let them see it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's not that they can't see it, right, they don't. It's not only that they can't or don't. It's that we wall up when we are most vulnerable. We kind of mask for sure, you know, and it's part of it. But also I think when we are able to express authentically like I'm.
Speaker 1: Not I'm not okay today, it shows you humanity and people I think gravitate.
Speaker 3: I think that's why people love you so much, because you are so like grounded and real, you know, like we don't ever feel like crystals, like not a performative type.
Speaker 1: Right, No, you're.
Speaker 3: Entertaining still, but it's not rooted there, right, rooted and grounded.
Speaker 2: And yeah, yeah, because I've learned. I learned very fast, like entering this space the only thing that you can truly succeed that as being you. Eventually it's gonna fall off. Whatever you're faking to be, it's gonna fall off.
Speaker 1: And that's who you really are.
Speaker 2: And they could be the good or bad, you know, so hoping that the real you is something like, no.
Speaker 1: We actually love this. Why were you trying to be something else anyway? Or girl, pick pick the mask back up because right.
Speaker 3: People don't even get a chance to put the mask back on right when you're pretending, like we see it every day we do cancel culture and like you make one wrong move, one wrong sentence, it.
Speaker 1: Could be over for you. No, for sure.
Speaker 3: So it is scary. I understand why people feel like I was there, you know. I mean, yeah, we come in feeling like, okay, there is I think a subconscious fear that I'm not enough, that who I am and as I am may not be acceptable because we are trying to please masses, you know, And that's people that are handling your career make you painfully aware that you have to be well liked. Yes, you know, and people want to like your music, they want to come to your show, they want to see an interview, you know, so you're like, okay, oh god, so let me turn my dial of me down to like two. You know, I want to up here authentic, but I also am feeling like super vulnerable and yeah performing At what point of your career did you feel like, I know, in the music industry they try to create the artists that they want to see or that they feel is going to pop for this moment in time.
Speaker 2: At what point of your career did you feel like, well, I don't. I'm not feeling like Carrie right now.
Speaker 3: Early on, so they were initially they're were some songs that I felt like, I, I don't think this represents where I was wanting to go with this album. Yeah, and I definitely don't think A. I don't think it should make the album and B I don't think it should be a single.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So now I got to shoot a video for this song I don't even like and I don't think represents me well and never, I don't like the lyrics. I don't this is does not represent who I am. Like, there's so many there's quite a few examples of that in my in my particular career.
Speaker 1: What so I'm curious enough. Oh gosh, there's a few. There's a few.
Speaker 3: Energy would be one of them. I think Breaking Point would be another. One would turn the favor let's see change Me hated it, really hated it.
Speaker 1: You probably even know it. It's with akon. Yeah, I love that song, you do not?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 1: Well, you don't I did? I love that song? Hated it?
Speaker 3: I mean, and I didn't hate Energy or Breaking Point. I didn't hate them, but I felt like they weren't. They were both first on my album first. Energy was first on my first album. Breaking Point was first single of my second album. Yeah this is ass backwards.
Speaker 1: We have way better because you knew what you had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I knew I had to knocked you down. I knew I had freaking a rock on No boys allowed like this. It was like, come on, y'all, man, this is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: And did you feel like you had a voice in that moment? Not as much?
Speaker 3: You know, not as much. And then of course the way you love me and the turn of me on remix that was pointless. It was you know, so I feel like I wore jackets that didn't fit me. Many times in my career. I felt like that a lot, And it wasn't until me taking a break that I felt strong enough to even reveal that, yeah, I'm just now talking about that really in the song space. But I did not feel strong enough to say I haven't been showing you guys me yeah, until I started doing interviews from the valley. And that's when I felt strong enough and self assured enough, self aware. I didn't have the handlers in my picture anymore.
Speaker 1: So this is the freedom you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Felt free, felt free enough to be authentic again. And then it was like an uphill battle because people are like, well, that ain't what you said five years ago, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: People don't let you live things down.
Speaker 3: They don't, so you don't always get the opportunity to grow and to show people like to keep I just, I just I felt like, if you can go with me through this vision, because I had a literal vision of this.
Speaker 1: I was walking in this vision.
Speaker 3: I won't I won't say where I was walking to, that's beside the point.
Speaker 1: But I was literally walking.
Speaker 3: You know that period between sleep and wake, Yes, when you have you literally see things?
Speaker 1: Why do And.
Speaker 3: I was like pulling off garments of clothes.
Speaker 1: I was like dropping.
Speaker 3: I had things in my hands and I was just dropping. And I kept walking and I things would appear in my hands and I was just like, okay, gotta put that down, Okay, And I would take off another layer of clothing, Like I had all these layers of clothes and like hat and things in my hands that would just appear, and I just was like walking down a.
Speaker 1: Road and just shedding.
Speaker 3: And I had that vision about I think it was like twenty twenty one maybe, and I was like, Oh, that's what I've been doing.
Speaker 1: It struck me.
Speaker 3: I woke up in tears and I didn't understand why until I reflected on that vision, and I just was like, Oh, that's what I've been doing, shedding, That's.
Speaker 1: What i've been doing.
Speaker 3: And all these things that I didn't know that I was carrying, they would just pure in my hand and I'd be like, don't want that, don't want that, don't need this, don't know, don't even know why I'm dropping it or why it's there or what it is. But some was given to me. Some was like imposed upon me. Some things were perceptions that I inherited from people, chatter, comments and posts and all the things.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, social media was kind of just taking off as your career was exploding because you were out of this world. But I remember like Twitter, just Facebook was around, but like Twitter was coming around at that time, so people were That's when people we started tweeting our thoughts.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, we.
Speaker 2: Hadn't in opinions, right, I remember that, So I can imagine for you to be at the front end of that. I know it was like for me. We were just me and O Shauna were just talking about She's.
Speaker 1: Like, how do you like get through like what people say online sometimes and like it doesn't hurt your feelings?
Speaker 2: I'm like, absolutely, you know, there's still times where I may see something, but I'm able to like brush it off faster than I used to be.
Speaker 1: I was sitting it and.
Speaker 2: I was like, but you don't they don't know me, and I feel like I need to respond. So I can imagine what that was like for you. Yeah, then really like trying to navigate this new career and then being at the pinnacle of people speaking their mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I was last for some reason. I was at a in an interview with Andree Martinez, who was like, you need a Twitter.
Speaker 1: I was like, I didn't really know what it was.
Speaker 3: But I wasn't really a social media person like that because there was my Space and there was I never I still haven't ever been on Facebook. I have a page.
Speaker 1: Wow, you can continue to follow that.
Speaker 3: But I did MySpace and I was into it, you know, to a degree, but I was like, oh, there's more things to do now. Yeah, Oh gosh, I'm trying to write. I'm in this session right now. I got to, you know, so I kind of became anti in like a year or two into it.
Speaker 1: She's like, you still don't have a Twitter page? And I'm like, no, God, And I was late to the party on all those Yes, same all of it. We're not followers. It takes a while.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm like, oh, you got to force me to twist my arm. And that's exactly how it happened. And had she not said it on air, I never I probably.
Speaker 1: Even I wouldn't have done it.
Speaker 3: Yet eventually I would have had to give in because it became such a huge part of promotion.
Speaker 1: It has, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was such a double edged sword because you're right. The opinions they do, they can and they do, and you just get easier the more I guess self aware and.
Speaker 1: The more love you have for yourself.
Speaker 3: I think that, Yeah, you're like, oh, that's not rooted in fact exactly literally how you're perceiving me, and you might feel bad. I feel empathy for people that still perceive.
Speaker 1: Me, and it is now exactly that you see me that way.
Speaker 2: Poor girl, you know you're suffering. I'm not right, you know that's real. Yeah, And I love that we've It comes with the self awareness. For me, it was therapy. It was learning who I am and understanding who I am in this industry, you know, and what my purpose is here?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, And by let me clear this up, by suffering, I didn't mean you're suffering in life. I bet your opinion of me is causing you to suffer a perception of me, and you're suffering with that. But I don't suffer with that because I know the I know the truth of the whole picture. Yeah, I don't want people to think that I'm like calling anyone lowly or at first I believe that I'm superior to anyone, because I really don't play that game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, saying really, Yeah, you know, and I didn't. I didn't even take it that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought about someone might take that the wrong way. That is true too, Yeah, that is true too. People are suffering, and they are sometimes just mean hearted. Sometimes they don't believe what they perceive of you. They don't believe it, but they want to They want to attack you. They want to make you feel.
Speaker 1: The pain they're feeling. Yeah, that is so true. That is so true.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you, is there a version of Carrie Hilton that is sitting here today that simply would not exist if you had not stepped away?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the whole version what I'm looking at you like, Yeah, the whole thing. Yeah. I don't know where i'd be.
Speaker 3: I just I just I'm so grateful that I was so ballsy to do what I needed to do. I can't I cannot imagine where I be had I pushed through to the degree that it would have taken me to push through. I think it would I literally would have been a train wreck that everyone would have watched. You know, even more than people think my life went in that direction, people think that I know the truth. I call it the valley because in some ways it was, but it wasn't the valley the.
Speaker 1: Whole time, right exactly.
Speaker 3: But when you're not relevant, people think that you are there. And I'm like, actually, I am the most beautiful version of myself now then I was when you guys thought.
Speaker 1: That I was on the top. So wow.
Speaker 2: I just had a mayor Kisha Lan's bottom zone recently and she said, powerful women, what was it?
Speaker 4: Strong?
Speaker 2: Powerful women? No, strong women pushed through. Powerful women know when to stop. Yes, yes, And that was so profound And what she just said reminded.
Speaker 1: Me of that that's there's so much power in the stock.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, and you don't you won't do it if you don't empower yourself ever, do or be or give yourself what you truly need if you don't feel powerful enough, you.
Speaker 1: Know, because I was like, I don't know where my money's gonna come from. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, thank God for royalty.
Speaker 1: Thank God for you know. Yeah, but like and you were okay with that? Was during that time?
Speaker 2: Was there ever a moment of do I need Maybe I should get back to it, because you know, you're used to a certain lifestyle. You used to say money coming in, show money, all this, and then you're like taking this pause. Was there a moment where you were like, Okay, maybe I need to rethink this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'm being honest. I was like I would have to call my manager, like, hey, let's go.
Speaker 1: We call it shaking the trees. Go shake some trees.
Speaker 3: Getting a little funny out here. You know, there were moments where.
Speaker 1: I was just but.
Speaker 3: I never felt like I was changing my lifestyle, like I never. I'm responsible enough to have never reached that kind of bridge or fork in the road. And you know, I'm pretty frugal, I'm economical. I'm not like you know, I'm not a shopper like you don't even never. Ain't nobody ever seen me in the stores in Atlanta, you know what I mean. I'm never, I'm hardly ever there. She knows I might do it Christmas time, might do it Christmas time. Yeah, but that's gonna be for one day, like for one item, Like okay, I really can't order the whatever. Yeah, but like I'm not frivolous, I'm not. I live within my means at all times. So I didn't, thank God, like I didn't ever feel like I had to do things to like try to prove to myself or prove to others that I still have like I in my circle ain't like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, people that are watching me understand who I am. Yes, so yeah, I think I've been.
Speaker 3: But there have been times where I'm looking at the records and you know, just overlooking, just like i'd like to. I like more numbers in that. I like more numbers in my account.
Speaker 2: Than that, you know, yeah whatever, Yeah, yeah, I love that. But you the right time, the timing you now you're backing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. Now were you still like writing during that time for other people or not? Really? You just kind of left music alone all together.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: There was a period of that fifteen years where I just didn't even want to hear music. I didn't even literally my life was silent for years.
Speaker 1: And I know a lot of singers. Even when you sat down, you were humming.
Speaker 2: Like so, I can't imagine your world without music, not even.
Speaker 3: Humming, not singing in the shower, no music in the car. No. Literally, the only music I would hear was the music on the plane on Delta, you know before you take off me that it would be music in a grocery store or wherever, whatever, wherever I happened to be an elevator or something like hotel.
Speaker 1: I literally radial.
Speaker 3: I was not aware of who was out, who was doing what, what songs were charting. I still don't look at the charts. But I just was completely I fell out of love. I felt like music betrayed me. And in a sense, you know, so yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Just couldn't What built the trust back? You felt betrayed?
Speaker 2: What what built that trust back for you to make your return?
Speaker 3: That's a really that's a good question. I think just time, I guess, just time and getting out of that depression, Like seeing the world the way that I was seeing it during the dark phase played a big part in how I viewed everything, how I viewed music, how you know, like it was kind of it was like when I listened to music, my heart would break. It was like looking at a picture of a loved one that you lost. It was like that.
Speaker 1: It was like looking at a picture my mother died.
Speaker 3: My mother did not die. Let me knock on woods.
Speaker 1: You don't want that. My dad did die. But it was like you went through a friend.
Speaker 3: It's like a fresh wound that you are like that's what listening to music was for me, even though I decided to step away just as fate would have it, Like I just I didn't expect for it to not be a lego thing that I could like put back together. I didn't expect that it would implode the way that it is, that I would lose major players, that I would lose my situation, my record deal that now that turned out best case scenario for me, thank god, But like to lose people that I felt like believed in me, you know, so for me, all because I'm doing something, I'm just taking a break. I didn't say I was gone forever. I just was taking a break and now you want to But it wasn't all about that. There was other things that I should not reveal here today, but you know a lot went into that. But yeah, I just I felt in a sense, I felt like my dream betrayed me in a sense. So I think you just have to sometimes change your outlook and then like things become more comfortable things, you process things better when you're well.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, speaking of depression and being well, did you do therapy?
Speaker 1: What was your process to really work through that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a lot it was therapy, it was spiritual retreats, it was journaling, it was taking why I discovered taking walks and I discovered meditation. I only said yes, I called it my se la or my eat pray love face nice because I would literally crystal. I would only take shows in the countries that I wanted to go to. MM It's like, oh yeah Thailand, sure, Oh I've never seen China, let's do China. Wow, Morocco, Yeah, let's go.
Speaker 1: Let's you know all the countries I went to in Africa, most happened.
Speaker 3: That's not true, but a lot happened. We continued to go to Africa, like I went a lot while I was out, but yeah, anyway, Yeah, I only went to places like, yes, I want to see Kenya, Yes, I want to do so far there. Yep, you know there was so you know, so all of that, Like I can't really attribute it to one thing because my healing was so fast. And mushrooms, which I talked about on another show, Angie Martina's show.
Speaker 1: I think I remember seeing a clipp of it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I discovered macro and micro docing and that was really good for me. And I had some destructive things too, like during COVID when I did lose my dad. Yeah, I picked up drinking and was just doing some destructive thing in that phase and partying a lot. Well that was before that. That was maybe around twenty sixteen. I was partying a lot.
Speaker 1: I remember I was partying two and I remember seeing you.
Speaker 2: Okay, me too, girl, Okay, dress out next week.
Speaker 1: Yes, I remember, yes, I remember that. Yes.
Speaker 2: And then I remember you posting your dad was like your twin, Like, I just remember you posting something about him.
Speaker 1: I was like, gods, they have the same face. But I remember feeling the heartbreak even through your posts about him. Yeah. And then we're.
Speaker 2: Already going through so much with COVID, and then on top of that, we're.
Speaker 1: And all the things. Yeah, what a time. Man. I drank COVID away. I ate it away, poor dry. I was like, oh, I think this is alcoholism. Let me back, this is alcoholism.
Speaker 3: Gained all that weight, like e things, Yeah, things I hadn't eaten since.
Speaker 1: I was a kid. Like, you are not hungry.
Speaker 3: It's five o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 1: I am Why am I cooking? Right? Cooking with Chris was in full effect. I was types of.
Speaker 2: Recipes in sweatpants, and then I had to get dressed.
Speaker 1: I said, none of none of it, nothing is any Oh girl, a mess. I picked up my legging, my love for legging. Yeah in COVID.
Speaker 3: Now I just can't stop.
Speaker 1: Ye right, I want nothing that's too tight. Yeah, I can't stand it. Now we are the same. Oh my gosh, yeah, I can't do it.
Speaker 2: Let's say, but I love Carrie, how you have come out on the other side.
Speaker 1: When I see you, when you walked in just glowing.
Speaker 2: I loved it because people they they see the absence, but they don't see what the refining that happened in the absence. I see it, you know, And I'm just I want to say, I'm proud of you. I'm glad that you are backhunting because we were waiting.
Speaker 1: We were waiting. True story.
Speaker 2: I moved to Atlanta in two thousand and nine and I have cut my hair short and I had like the blonde piece and they were.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, she's trying to be like Carrie. You was my inspiration girl.
Speaker 4: Okay, yes, I loved, loved and loved you, but I was a huge fan of yours and just to be able to share space with you and sit down with you and hear more about your story.
Speaker 2: Yes, finally, I'm so grateful and I would love to know our Our theme for this season is purpose, and I want to know, after your fifteen year hiatus, what is Carrie Hilson's purpose now?
Speaker 3: I think my purpose now is what it always was. But we derail ourselves at times, or we you know, or life, you know, circumstances, whatever. But I think my purpose is what it always has been, and that's to express. I think it's as simple as that express, be authentic. My purpose is to show people, I guess what's possible, and I feel a sense of responsibility to young women to be respectable, to dress a certain way, and to show them that there's not just one way of doing things.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I love it to be eloquent and to be just authentic and be good, just to be good, be great, be good, be at peace. Like I feel a sense of purpose when I'm like just being my best. Yeah, yeah, I love that. So we have part for it coming out soon?
Speaker 1: How long do you have to No, there's no part for them. Oh you're just gonna just warm me sick? No, No, what you mean?
Speaker 3: Everything is released, Everything is going to be released for this project.
Speaker 2: Down Okay, okay, is there anything else that we can support because you're also an actor, do you have anything else going on?
Speaker 1: I haven't been doing that really, you know, I've been promoting. I've been on the road. I do. I'm not opposed to.
Speaker 4: It.
Speaker 1: Fun.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Likewise, thank you.
Speaker 3: I yeah, for some reason in the past year or two, there haven't been a lot of projects.
Speaker 1: I haven't been part of a lot. I just had this conversation that many projects happening. It's not. I just was like, we're with the auditions. Yeah, have a once literally just audition at all this year. Yeah. But yeah, I mean I look forward to it. I enjoy it.
Speaker 3: It's fun.
Speaker 1: It's fun.
Speaker 3: I like being a student. Yes, that's what acting is for me. It's like, okay, for sure, I have my bearing. I'm very sure of myself and my decision making and music.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: I love being an arenas where I'm a student. Yes, that is what acting is for me. I love it for that reason.
Speaker 2: Well, we look forward to what is to come, and however we can support you, we will.
Speaker 1: Thank you have a fan in the sweeties. We love you. Yes, thank you so much. Carrie, thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Absolutely yes, Carrie, thank you so much for spending time with us. This conversation was truly special and sweeties, if you enjoy today's episode and make sure you like, subscribe and share with someone that you love, because you never know who might need this conversation. And before you go, I am so excited to welcome you all to the Sweet Social Club. If you've been rocking with us and you want to be even more connected with the kids family, this is for you.
Speaker 1: Members.
Speaker 2: You get access to exclusive events, special experiences, merch drops, and so much more. Click the link in my bio to join. We cannot wait to welcome you until next time. And in between time, keep deposit, Sweetie. I love you guys,