Speaker 1: Is this a great game or what with the Hall of Fame or Tim Kirkshin I'm his son, Jeff Kirkshen And Dad, tomorrow you leave to go up to Cooperstown for Hall of Fame induction weekend. Your favorite weekend of the year, no doubt about it. And yesterday, Dad, we had on the show Billy Wagner, who's one of the many players being inducted into the Hall this weekend.
Speaker 2: Right, and Billy was hilariously funny on our podcast. And as you know, Jeff, we got into an argument because I made him wasn't an argument. I made a mistake. I thought I got mixed up between a groundhog and a woodchuck what Billy used to eat as a kid in rural Virginia. So Joel Oh sent us something to our great game or what email today saying love the show Fellas, But a ground hog and a woodchuck are the exact same animals. So I don't know if that's true or not. All I know is I'm learning something as we go along here, thanks in part to Billy Wagner. Makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did a quick google, Dad, and it says, yes, a groundhog and a woodchuck are the same animal. Both are common names for the rodent marmada monics. The different names are from regional variations in language, depending on how people describe it. So maybe maybe that's how in rural Virginia how they would say it is a woodchuck or a groundhog, and we would call it.
Speaker 3: A wood chuck, even though you and I both grew up in Maryland.
Speaker 2: Right, And I think it is part of the problem is I got the two animals mixed up because I'm making ground chuck tonight for dinner, which I thought it seems to be a right that was really bad?
Speaker 3: All right, well that was not bad.
Speaker 1: But I will say one guest I want to have is Chuck Barkley, Charles Chuck Barkley.
Speaker 3: I would love to have on the show. What do you think about that.
Speaker 2: We're gonna work on that as we get closer to the basketball season. If we can get the chuck wagon the bread truck on it would be the greatest thing ever. So, Jeff, I have to share something. I had a bit of a it's not a complaint, but a bit of a challenge on one of the one of the lists that I come up with, which I come up with all the time, and I repeat, they're my lists. I don't pretend they're the correct list. But this and it wasn't a nausie to oral, and it wasn't a best of all tim it was The Mary Tyler Moore Show is better than the Dick Van Dyke Show. That that was the complaint I got from a friend. As you know, I gave my top five sitcoms of all time a few weeks ago. Not like any of this is important. Get Smart's one, All the Family two, Dick Van Dyke is three, Seinfeld's four Cheers is five. And let's be clear, Jeff, the Mary Tyler Moore Show is the sixth greatest sitcom of all time on my list, sixth greatest ever. It's pretty impressive. And I've told you that Baxter, Ted Baxter, you know the you know, the knucklehead newsman who does the you know, the anchors the news. They are much like Walter Kronkite did. My favorite episode is when the real Walter Cronkite, the greatest TV newsman in the history of our country, is actually on the show as himself and Ted meets him. The first thing Ted says to Walter Cronkite is Walter. What words do you have trouble pronouncing? He asked that the most respected news anchor in the history of the world. Oh God, so bad.
Speaker 1: Well, jokes aside, Dad, I'm a radio host of ten years just celebrated my this is now ten year anniversary.
Speaker 3: How crazy is that?
Speaker 2: Wait, Jeff straight out of Syracuse Straight to Cleveland, had your own show Vegas, Philadelphia. Really impressed, really kind of crazy. Yeah, really impressed, Joff.
Speaker 1: One of two words that I hate to say the most in the radio, or one we've already said four times on this podcast.
Speaker 2: Rule rule Right. It's a hard word.
Speaker 1: Hate that word that and brewery brewery right, I hate that. And you know another one is a golfer who just had quite the weekend.
Speaker 3: Rory, Rory.
Speaker 1: I have trouble saying those words, and I think it's mostly because they're just like rolling.
Speaker 3: Over a couple sounds, right, Rory, there's not a letter in.
Speaker 2: There right that that that middle R is troublesome. I understand. Theater is something that I'm not real good at and I always and I'm a writer, Jeff, I always have to think how to spell the word rhythm, because I usually get it wrong. I don't have a system on how to spell the word rhythm. It's only six letters, and I still have a little bit of trouble with Isn't that weird? Now?
Speaker 1: Rhythm is a strange one because there's a th h and a y and it's two whys.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I always have to think, am I am I spelling this properly? I have to get some sort of system to remember that it's a relatively simple word. But these are the things that bother me and keep me up at night.
Speaker 1: Sho, I feel so stupid. There's only one why r H Y t.
Speaker 2: H M right, Yeah, gosh, I had to think that through all right.
Speaker 1: Now you're gonna curse me with that, dad, Now I'm going to struggle with rhythm every time. I mean, I'm pretty good with rhythm, Yes, Jeff, you have great rhythm. You are a great dancer, which I can't understand how I am so bad at that and you are so good at that when I'm your father, I don't know how you get natural rhythm. I just know I don't have it and I will never have it.
Speaker 2: And that's okay. It's just I don't think you can teach something. It's like asking me to be taller. That's that's not going to happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not gonna happen for me either, trust me.
Speaker 1: All Right, Dad, Well, we're going to get to each of the inductees going into the Coopersound Hall of Fame this Sunday, But I know you have some other takeaways that you want to get too.
Speaker 2: First, right, just just quickly, Rich Hill, age forty five, I've started for the Kansas City Royals on Tuesday night. So it's the fourteenth team for which he has played, ties Edwin Jackson for the most teams that any Major League teams any pitcher has ever worked for. Also, they both wore ten different uniform numbers, so I guess you know, when you switch teams as often as they do, you can't just roll in and say, hey, I'm used to wearing forty four. You know, it doesn't always work that way. Ten different uniform numbers. He started his career in two thousand and five, pitching in relief for the Cubs, that was, and the starting pitcher that day was Greg Maddox, which is just really cool. Greg Maddox is fifty nine years old now, and Rich Hill first game that he pitched in. The starter on his team was Greg Maddox. That's kind of cool, right, Dad.
Speaker 1: Think about how long ago two thousand and five was. Okay, that was the year that YouTube started. Okay, that was twenty years ago that YouTube started.
Speaker 2: Hope.
Speaker 1: John Paul the Second's death was in two thousand and five.
Speaker 2: Is he the White Sox fan?
Speaker 3: No, that's the one we just got. Yeah, that's the one we just got.
Speaker 1: I mean, just thinking about how different the world was. Remember what our cell phones looked like in two thousand and five, Dad, everybody had still like the Nokia bricks. That's how long Rich Hill has been in the.
Speaker 2: League, right, and he's still going and he actually pitched okay on on Tuesday Night. Just another reminder. If you have a great curveball and you know what you're doing with the art of pitching, you can get by.
Speaker 1: And the biggest difference, Dad, is in two thousand and five, the Chicago White Sox won the World Series and in twenty twenty five, Yeah, well they're actually playing a little bit better.
Speaker 2: Okay. Speaking of pitching, Jeff Clay Thompson, one of the great shooters of all time. Throughout the first ball at a baseball game the other day and looked pretty good doing it. Well, it's not a surprise. His brother, of course, is Trace Thompson, who's played in the Major League for a bunch of years on and off. And I want to ask Trace, like, how good a basketball player were you? And he said I was pretty good, but not compared to his brother. I said, did Clay play baseball? And he goes, yeah. He was our leadoff hitter on our high school team. He was like six'. Four he was the leadoff. Hitter he didn't have much, power but he could run and he could do. Something so when we saw him throw the first ball and looked athletic doing he should because he's a great. Athlete but as we, Know, jeff not every basketball football player goes to the mound and throws an athletic. STRIKE i was impressed With Clay, thompson AND i Asked trey, once what's it like when you go shoot with your brother? Now and he, goes it's just. RIDICULOUS i feed. Him he stands in the corner and he makes like twenty five straight three. Pointers and that's what great shooters, Do, jeff.
Speaker 1: Shades Of John. Wall remember when he threw out a first pitch at A nationals. Game, yeah not, good not, understatemle, right, YEAH i mean the man was the heck of an, athlete very GOOD nba player and then, right but.
Speaker 2: He never played baseball, before and if you've never played the game, before you're not going to be able to throw a baseball particularly, well it's just.
Speaker 3: Swaying it looked Like Uncle rico throwing a.
Speaker 2: FOOTBALL i BET i could throw this football over that. Mountain it's so, bad all, right speaking of throwing a baseball, Jet Paul skeene's got to win the other. Day he's the best pitcher in The National league and probably the second best pitcher in baseball To Trek skouobl at the. Moment but now he's got five. Victories SO i just went looking for guys who have AN era under two at the end of a SEASON era under two fewer than ten, victories which is possibility For Paul skeens this year because they don't ever score him any runs in a season of one hundred and seventy five. Innings so it's only been four, times and the last time it was done was by someone in nineteen oh. Nine so If Paul skeins has AN era under, two WHICH i think he, will and has fewer than ten, wins WHICH i hope is not the, case because for his, sake he deserves to win twenty games with the way he's. Pitching he'll be the fifth guy ever to do. That do you find that interesting at?
Speaker 1: ALL i find it, shocking AND i feel bad for all those, pitchers probably none of them taking home any hardware because the team was so.
Speaker 2: Bad right, Right, Okay, jeff onto The hall Of. Fame we have five guys being inducted On. Sunday what a great day this will be in baseball and love Induction. Sunday so we'll start with each. Row and he won THE, mvp he won Ten Gold, gloves made Ten All star, teams got three thousand and eighty nine. Hits first ten. Years jef two hundred hits each. Year only player to do that set the record in two thousand and four with two hundred and sixty two. Hits last, YEAR i did a speech With Mike, messina And Mike messina looked at, me as we're at the, day it's just, talking he, Goes, GOD i hated facing a. Row he would just foul it, off and foul it, off and foul it off until he hit the ball. Hard Like that's how good he. Was he was capable of spoiling good pitches until he found one that he could hit really. Hard AND i told, You, jeff he hit a bouncing. Ball ball bounced in front of home. Plate he hit it off of one hop and lined the single to. Center SO i Called Pat gillick the next, day and he was THE gm of The. MARINERS i, Said, pat what was? That he, Goes, oh he used to practice that In japan all the, time practiced hitting a bouncing. Ball that's what great great hitters. Do he was also a great defensive, outfielder one of the greatest throwing Arms i've ever. Seen but his, bat his bats were his calling card more than. Anything and he protected his. Bats. Jeff he never like threw his bats around or slammed it. In he once told, me he, said my bad are like a carpenter's favorite. Hammer you don't throw your favorite hammer. Around you don't throw your bats. Around he protected. THEM i love.
Speaker 3: THAT i love, that and well Deserved hall Of fame, member each. Hero This sunday RIGHT. C.
Speaker 2: C sabathia is also going. In of, course when you look at, wins winning percentage and, strikeouts the only guys who can match those three numbers FOR Cc sabathia Are Randy, Johnson Roger, Clements tom Sever Justin, berlander And Greg. Maddox and the only left handers with more strikeouts THAN. C. C sabathi in the history of baseball Are Randy johnson And Steve. Carlton pretty, cool And i've also had a Relie JEFF. C. C sabathi is the greatest player ever to go by his initials and of course our Boy Billy wagner's going. In he was a great interview. Yesterday the only sets you need to know about him for his, career, well he saved four in twenty two. Games he averaged eleven point nine strikeouts per nine innings for his, career and for every nine innings pitched he allowed six. Hits so he has the lowest, total lowest hit per nine inning total of anyone who ever pitched more than nine hundred innings in The Big leagues two thirty one. Era it just shows you how difficult it was to Hit Billy wagner in his, prime.
Speaker 1: No, doubt an amazing guest once, again if you didn't listen to the episode, yesterday make sure to do. So just go back one episode and soak it in because he's getting super excited for this.
Speaker 3: Weekend.
Speaker 2: Right and of course two guys who went in through a special, committee but they're Still hall Of, famers Because Dick allen should have been A hall Of famer a long time. Ago, jeff go back and look at that rookie season, Sometime oh my, gosh one of the great rookie seasons of all, time and his eleven year, prime which was nineteen sixty four through seventy, four he had the highest offensive war in baseball and there wasn't a close second during that time and the full span of his. Career the only player who had a higher slugging percentage and ops Was Hank. Aaron that's how Great Dick allen, was and he should have been in a long time. Ago and our last, guy of course Is Dave, parker whose five year stretch he was basically the best player in baseball was nineteen seventy eight season was one of the greats of all, time won a Batting championship two years in a. Row elite defensive outfield or one of the great throwing Arms i've ever. Seen and As i've told, You, jeff he used to wear a star Of david around his. Neck why did he do? That what was his? Explanation BECAUSE i asked him, once.
Speaker 3: Because my name Is david And i'm a.
Speaker 2: Star, exactly very cool and so so sadly we Lost Dave parker a month or so ago To parkinson's. Disease he will not be there On, sunday but he will get a rousing ovation from all those because everyone knew how great the cobro.
Speaker 1: Was all, Right, dad let's jump right into our quirkchins of what's going on In Major League baseball that you're.
Speaker 2: Seeing, Okay, Jeff so at ten o'clock ten thirty the other night you called me frantically to ask me what about The phillies. Game, well they ended on a walk off catcher's interference in the bottom of the tenth.
Speaker 3: Inning And i'm like, this this has never happened.
Speaker 2: Before it. Can't so the last time it, Happened, jeff which it's, Amazing i'm surprised it. HAPPENED i don't even remember this. Time but in nineteen seventy, one The dodgers were playing The, reds and The dodgers scored on a walk off catcher's. Interference Manny moto was the third bases, Loaded Willie crawford was at the plate And Willy crawford hit the midt of the, catcher who happened to be nineteen seventy One Reds jeff our favorite, guy And Johnny. Bench it Was Johnny. Bench SO i Called John bed yesterday and he's just started yelling at, me which he. Does he's just. Kidding BUT i, said you know WHY i am. Calling he, GOES i THINK i know why you're, calling and he, said the ball was already in my catcher's mitt When Willie crawford swung the. Bat it's the worst call, ever he, Said but this is what The dodgers would, do and he was being very. Complimentary, actually they would do whatever it took to win a. Game so he claims the ball was already in his catcher's mitt When Willie crawford started the swing and hit the catcher's. Mitt for catcher's, interference which is again, automatic everyone advances one base error on the catcher and no time at bat for the. Hitter So johnny, bess do you think they's seventy? One do you think they sent it back To New york for revealed, well and of course The Red sox had a catcher's interference in the first inning of the next. Game double check With frank from The. Lives first time since nineteen sixty. One that's the farthest thing can go back and be absolutely certain of. Things that's the first time since nineteen sixty one that a team had catcher's interference in consecutive innings like, that even though they were over a span of.
Speaker 1: Two, games bottom of the, tenth bottom of the, first it was. UNBELIEVABLE i shocked.
Speaker 2: It SO i just finished our quick conversation With Johnny bench by just, saying you, Know i'll see you In. Cooperstown can't. Wait and then he, started as a tribute to Each, row he started Speaking. JAPANESE i, said, What, johnny you can Speak. Japanese he, goes. Yeah we went there on a like a tour in nineteen seventy eight in the. Offseason he, said we played seventeen games and he learned a bunch Of japanese, phrases which HE i thought he was making them. Up how AM i going to know the. DIFFERENCE i can't speak at a word Of. Japanese So johnny played seventeen games over there and hit nine home runs in seventeen. Games and he, said every TIME i if An american board player hit a home, run he got ten thousand yen for each home, run and he got like a load of candy for every home run that he. Hit SO i GOT i got ninety thousand yen a Nine and he, Said so my nickname In japan was Candy, man because every TIME i got the, CANDY i gave it to other people. There so that's That's Johnny bench's nickname In japan is Candy. Man AND i did not know that story until. Yesterday isn't this Typical Johnny? Bench he tells you, Something you, Go how COULD i have known you for this? Long you never told me that.
Speaker 3: Story he always had something up his.
Speaker 2: Sleep oh he's, great all. Right so we had a really cool thing happened the other. Day jeff Sho Hey, o'tani hitting second in the order and pitching that, game hit a home run and gave up a home run in the first. Inning how cool is? That? So Former phillies Pitcher Randy, lurch really really good hitting, pitcher was the last guy to do, it and he did it On may, seventeenth nineteen seventy. Nine And, jeff this was in the game where The phillies beat The cubs twenty three to twenty two in ten, innings one of the most famous games In Major league. History So Randy lurch is batting in the top of the first. Inning he's already facing a reliever Because dennis lamp has been knocked out of the. Game he's facing a, Reliever Donnie, moore and he hits a homer off Of Donnie moore in the first. Inning so Now Randy lurch goes out to pitch the bottom of the first. Inning he gives up a home run To Dave. Kingman he gives up a bunch more, runs and they take about after six. Batters so he started and the starting pitcher didn't win a third of an. Inning Randy lurch went a third of an inning and then they got him out of the. Game he was the last pitcher to hit a home run and give up a homer in the first. Inning And, jeff just just a note about that twenty three to twenty two. Game Mike schmidt told this story many years. Later, so back at the Old Wrigley field before they upgraded, it they didn't have like a. Score they had like the old scoreboard that didn't have the running totals of the. Game so in like the eighth, Inning Mike schmidt gets the third base and he Asks mick kellerher the third basement for The. Cubs as he's looking up at all these runs, scored and he says to mc, kellerher what's the score of the? Game because he didn't have time, to like or he couldn't count them all, up that's how many runs had been. Scored but you know now with an electronics, scoreboard it, says you, know it's eighteen to seventeen or twenty one to twenty or whatever it. Was he asked the third, basement what's the score of the? GAME i love? That that is so oh. Great Hayden Bird song of The giants had a difficult start the other. Day twenty five, pitches six of them were. Strikes SO i Called frank from The alias and, said when's the last time anybody did something had that bad of a? Control and the answer is in twenty twenty, One Tyler chatwood through twenty five, pitches seven, strikes so that was the last time any pitcher threw twenty five pitches in a game and seventy five percent of them or more were. Balls Brayce lewis of The twins had this Line. Jeff four at, bats one run, scored no, hits three, RBIs so he knocked in three runs without getting a. Hit the Last twin to do that Was Nick punto in two thousand and. Six so it's been a, while but it reminds me of maybe my, favorite my favorite box score line of all. Time Ben, petrick who used to be a catcher in the big. Leagues he had a Game jeff where he had three at, bats no, runs no, hits four, RBIs so he had a three zero zero. FOUR i asked him about it and he, said you know, WHAT i went after the. Game i'm thinking to, myself, YEAH i had a bad day. Today and then he, said and THEN i looked at the box score and, said, hey had a pretty good. Day he drove in four runs without getting a. Hit does that amaze? You?
Speaker 3: Yeah so is he sacrifice?
Speaker 2: Fly probably one of them for not to look it, up but it's like sacrifice fly, bases load of, walk two, groundouts four RBIs without getting a. Hit, wow it's. Unbelievable all, right, now this is how BAD i, Am jeff this morning Or wednesday. Morning i'm reading the box scores this time at five o'clock in the morning with a diet mountain, dew AND i look at. THAT i look at The Mariner brewer game one to. Nothing The mariners beat The, brewers and the leadoff, Guy brice terrank great defensive second, basement goes zero four with four. Strikeouts so he's the twenty fifth time this year that a leadoff guy has struck out four times in a. Game i've been charting this all. Year the shortstop for the other, TEAM Jp, crawford he hit, leadoff so he went over four with a strikeout and two grounded into double. Plays so the two leadoff guys in that game went over eight with five strikeouts and two grounded into double. Plays so this intrigues. Me can there possibly be another game in baseball? History and we played for one hundred and fifty. Years, well as it turns, out there's never been a game like. This, now keep in, mind jeb gidps were an official stat in nineteen thirty one in The National league nineteen forty in The American. League But frank from The elias confirmed that's the first time since gidps became official in both leagues that the two leadoff guys went over eight with five strikeouts and two grounded into.
Speaker 1: Double that's not where you want to be coming up next here on is this a great? Game or what we've got on this state in baseball? History the best number thirty and number thirty one FOR ossi to oral and best of all ten coming up?
Speaker 3: Next all, right, dad on this date baseball. History july the twenty.
Speaker 2: Fourth, right nineteen eighty three was the famous pine tar. Game George brett hit a home run in the ninth innen to put The royals ahead of The. Yankees he hit it off Of Goose Gossage Billy martin on a recommendation from his third, Baseman Greg nettles, said go check the. Bat there's too much pine tar on the. Bat the umpires homeplate Umpire tim McClellan, said, yes there's too much pine tar on this. Bat they measured it and they Called George brett. Out so instead of hitting a home, run he was called out for having too much pine tar on the. Bat so The royals lost the, game but they, protested of, course And lee, McPhail the president of The American, league overruled and, said, no that is not too much pine. Tar the home run, counts and now The royals have a five to four over The. Yankees so On august the, eighteenth so this is you, know a few weeks, later they go back and play the ninth inning At Yankee stadium And Billy, martin the angry manager of The, yankees is so upset that they have that it's been overturned that he Played Ron guidry for that one, inning his best pitcher in center, field And Don, mattingley his left handed first baseman at second, base because he, said this is a farce that we have to play. This Dan quizenberry came in the, closer pitched one inning clean bottom of the ninth games Over royals win five Before George brett didn't even go to the. Ballpark he told me he was in a hotel. Room he didn't even go to the park because what's the, point you, KNOW i just hit a. HOMER i don't want to be a part of all. This so he was sitting in his hotel room watching the end of The Pine tar game when The royals closed it. Out, jeff one of the great. Game, yeah one of the most famous games of all.
Speaker 1: Time, well you always remember him flying out of the dugout like that's just such a core memory of how angry he.
Speaker 3: Was, Right and, however we don't hear the inning being played again very.
Speaker 2: Often, Right AND i Asked, george of course about this many. Times but he, said do you know how Big tim McClellan. Is he's six.' six he's way BIGGER than. I have, HE Said i i've running. Out there i've never been so angry in. My Life but, i'm thinking what do you do in charge of? This guy he's way bigger. Than you That Was, george brett always always great and, Last. Thing jeff on, This Date barry bond's birthday turned sixty one years. Old today three greatest hitters of. All time in order for me again we have to forget a bunch of. THINGS here i don't want any huge. Angry, arguments here three Greatest hitters i've, ever seen OR that i think are the three. Greatest Hitters, Babe Ruth Ted Williams. Berry bonds. That's it that's.
Speaker 3: The list, all right let's jump Into from ozzie.
Speaker 1: To orl you're giving us the best player each, number today. Number, Thirty right this.
Speaker 2: Is hard Because It's nolan ryan who wore number thirty and also wore number, Thirty FOUR so i wasn't sure what to, do There so i'm jumping off Here With nolan ryan is the greatest number thirty of. All time with Apologies To, Tim Rains, orlando cepaida and a. Few, others Okay But nolan ryan wore number thirty Four that matt's And, the angels and With the angels he had a three point zero seventy ra struck out twenty four hundred and. Sixteen guys the, most important he threw four no hitters as a member Of the angels two and, seventy three one and, seventy four one and. Seventy five so no one's thrown more than four. No, hitters ever he, threw seven and four of them came With. The angels and if anyone asks You Who nolan, Ryan, Is jeff he's the hardest pitcher to Hit In major. League history he is the greatest power pitcher of. All time, and uh he's one Of the he threw a baseball as hard as any man alive for twenty. Five years That's that's it's like being the world's fastest human for twenty. Five years usually last about. Five years, With That nolan ryan was incredible for his. Entire CAREER and i.
Speaker 1: Think the craziest thing to this day is the fact that he never want to. Cy young it just blows.
Speaker 2: My, mind right, it's amazing and he had a couple opportunities and. He didn't what's My Favorite nolan. Ryan's story i've told it to. You before remember when We ad let's see if you can remember. The Punchline rance Mallinick's third basement For The blue jays was, asked once what would the world be like if Everyone Was. Nolan ryan what did?
Speaker 1: He say, he said everybody would be happier and nobody would get.
Speaker 2: A hit.
Speaker 3: I think it.
Speaker 2: Was exactly everyone would love each other and no one Loved get. That's, right jeff am proud. Of you you remembered Something From rance Malini's and i've told that story a. Few times thank you. For remembering that was.
Speaker 1: Very cool there's a couple of stories that you Tell that i've kind of been ingrained in, my head like THE one i always remember. Dad Is In new york they named a candy Bar After, reggie jackson But in baltimore we name our Kids After.
Speaker 3: Brooks robinson that one ingrained, in, There.
Speaker 2: Right and i'm glad you, Remember, that Jeff Because reggie Jackson And brooks robinson share. A birthday how cool?
Speaker 1: Is that did you Know That walter johnson Died on, december tenth nineteen forty Six And tim kirkshon was Born on, december tenth nineteen, fifty six and he Went To Walter Johnson.
Speaker 3: High school he Wrote For. The pitch he Wrote for The, WIND up.
Speaker 2: I have i have. POISONED you, I have I have i've, Heard. You jeff for you to be remembering these things, Like This i'm. I'm sorry number, Thirty one number, Thirty one this is Really. Not wow this was easy Because It's greg maddox Now Again, ferguson Jenkins another Hall, Of famer war, thirty one also For. The Cubs the cubs retired thirty One for Maddox And, fergy jenkins which is. Pretty Cool But greg maddox won three hundred and fifty. Five, games jeff he had a THREE sixteen era in five thousand and. Eight, innings okay he walked nine hundred and ninety nine batters in his career in five thousand and. Eight Innings And derek lowe told me that he played Golf with Maddox and maddox told him. The story, HE said i had three starts left in my major league CAREER because I knew i was retiring at the end of. The year and, HE said i didn't walk anyone the last, three Stars because i'll be Damned if i'm going to have one thousand walks on my record In The. Baseball encyclopedia that's how important control Was To. Greg, Maddox, jeff jeff he is the greatest control pitcher of. All time he is the smartest pitcher by FAR that i have ever. Been around they just tell story after story after story about what, a magician what, a robot what. A Professor greg maddox was on. The mound do you Remember The chipper jones story that. He TOLD remember i told the story that they were going To take maddox out of, a game a, playoff Game And leo mazzoni came to. The, Mound Well bobby cox came to the mound to take, him Out And greg, Maddock said i'm not. COMING out i got. This guy he's going to foul Out To chipper jones on the. First, PITCH well i got the story. Somewhat wrong chipper. Retold it you remember how he. Retold It, leo mazzoni the, pitching coach went to the mound to Tell him bobby wants you to walk this, guy Intentionally, And maddix i'm not walking. HIM intentionally i Got this he's going to foul Out to chipper on the. First pitch first pitch he pops Out To chipper jones on the. First pitch chipper was in fair territory by like, two inches so They gave maddox a. Hard time he didn't foul out on that pitch because he was in fair territory by. Two inches so but, the KICKER which i did, not know Is That bobby cox will. It's Furious When leo mazzoni came Back that, MADDICK said i don't Care what. Bobby says i'm not walking this. Guy intentionally and then after he popped out of the, First pitch Chipper said bobby was laughing his butt off in the dugout because, he recognized WHY would i Ever Question greg maddox about something. Like this there's never been anybody quite.
Speaker 1: Like him the only thing that would have made that story better Is If Scott van pelt had. Told him And THEN leo mazooni went to The Mound, Chipper jones.
Speaker 2: Oh god it's. So Bad what scott gave me his all time oriole team with the long a's, in IT and i thought he was done With A. Joe altabelli then when he gave the pitch, A coach i just. ALMOST laughed i. Almost Died, Leo, mazzoni yes that was, great.
Speaker 3: Last but certainly not least the best.
Speaker 1: Of all tim we're picking a different, Franchise, week dad you give us the best player in the history of. That franchise what's the franchise?
Speaker 2: THIS week, i mean this week Gets, the diamondbacks Because the diamondbacks are so much in the news these days because supposedly they're going to sell at the. Trade deadline They Have, Zach Gallon, merrill kelly and of Course Jo. Hainio suarez we talk About the diamondbacks almost, every DAY so i figured let's do The greatest, diamondback ever and It Is. Randy johnson in his eight years With The diamondbacks, jet one eighteen and, sixty two he had a two eighty Three ra. He leveraged he averaged eleven point five strikeouts per, nine innings which is ridiculously high for a. Starting pitcher and of course he won Four Straight cy Youngs And randy johns animal years and. Years, ago jeff You Know randy johnson's six Foot Ten, rich donald my, dear friend once told Me That randy johnson was so tall that he didn't need a pickoff move to. Second base he just reached out to tag. The runner that's how tall And Long randy. Johnson was but he was a very he is a very, mercurial guy even though he's a fabulous photographer, HERE now i can't wait to talk to him and sit down with him and do a podcast with him about what a. Great photographery we're going to get him before the, Season's. Over JEFF but i Did a sunday night conversation with him about this had to be twenty. Years AGO so i just told him before, WE started, I, said randy we're both going to be standing up for, this interview and he thought that was the funniest, thing ever the thought of six ten and four to ten interview being interviewed by a four foot ten edge. Baseball writer so he laughed. Out loud he was in the. Greatest mood he handled all the questions professionally as he, always did so it was. Really good and a bunch of my writer friends still call that still call that the stupidest interview in the history, of television not because of the questions, the answers but just because of. The optics Me Interviewing, RANDY johnson i literally had to hold my arm straight up in the air and get on my tiptoes just to get the microphone to. His mouth can you, Picture, That, Jeff.
Speaker 3: Oh i've seen. THE photos i can picture in clear.
Speaker 1: As DAY and i got, to say when you were At The All, star game they had you at the Desk With kevin connors And. Water Perez, kevin connors by, the way, tall dude, he's.
Speaker 2: Dude he's at least six, to two maybe. Six,' three.
Speaker 1: Yeah and then they, got it right and then you've got you on the. Right side there can we get him an. Encyclopedia or something can we get him a step soul, for goodness, Sake.
Speaker 2: It's bad JEFF they Want I interviewed frank Thomas, once in baltimore and they wanted me to stand on, a MILK carton so i was the same Height As. As, Frank thomas look i'm very comfortable. With, MY size obviously i mentioned it in every show. That we do you have to be comfortable with. Who YOU are but I told him i'm not standing on a milk Carton To. Interview frank Thomas not because i'm EMBARRASSED how. Short i am that's. Not the point it's gonna LOOK ridiculous that i am the Same. Height As frank tim it's gonna look. Ridiculous at home we're only shooting from, the waist up so you can't see me standing. On THIS thing, so i said it's like THE only time i ever Told a producer i'm not doing this because it would, look so dumb because my friends at, home would go what's he standing on like a step ladder in order to be the Same Height, as frank thomas who. Is six,' five.
Speaker 1: You know it's interesting i'm trying to get a read on what you think where is your line when it comes to doing. Stupid things on television because you won't stand, on a milk crate but you will get in a Sausage. And run in milwaukee you will slide Down. The hill at williamsport you're you're, prone to doing bits but the milk crate was.
Speaker 2: Too, much for you no, It's. Not a bit jeff it is An. Artificial HIGH en hanser and. I don't need that i don't. Want to do that and the sausage race was the worst day of. My WHOLE life professionally BUT i told. You i, did it mike MCCUAD, our boss at espn told, me YOU'RE doing this and I was afraid of mike. Mccuad at the time I'm still. Afraid OF mike mcquad so i did what he told me to do for fear that he might fire me on the spot for not being the hot dog. In, the sausage race well thank you to everybody for.
Speaker 3: Catching up with us is this a?
Speaker 1: Great game Or, What, Every, single tuesday wednesday thursday we come out with a Brand new Episode of next week We're Gonna Hear, from tony gwynn junior the son Of The late The Great hall of Famer. Tony gwyn and dad, it's pretty amazing too because we Not Only Talk about tony, gwinn junior's playing career but we Also Looked Back at Tony gwynn's hall of fame induction weekend almost, twenty years Ago Now And where tony gwinn, junior was for that how pregnant his.
Speaker 3: Wife was for that it was a lot going, on, In That.
Speaker 2: Interview right tony jr is just like his dad. In so many ways his voice is, identical to his, father but you know his personality and everything. Is the same way, he's so easy. Going he's so funny he's. Just Like his Dad And. I'm hoping tony Jr will be. In cooperstown, this Weekend maybe not, But, I'm GOING there jeff and i can't stress this enough How magical. A place cooperstown is it. Is just ludicrously charming to walk, down that Main street, especially on induction weekend it is the greatest three days. You could possibly spend, You've never been there you. Got to go there if you Can't go, there for induction weekend go any other time where it's less crowded and, spend a week there or spend a. Couple of days there it'll be ABSOLUTELY stunningly good and i can't.
Speaker 1: Wait to go tomorrow thank you, so much for, listening and as always thank you for being a.
Speaker 3: Part of our family
Speaker 2: Fi