Speaker 1: Welcome to Massa Territory. Ladies and gentlemen. Can you smell it? Can you taste it? Can you do a little bit of both? The trade deadline is coming up, ladies and gentlemen. We are a week away, a week away and a few hours away. Let's get to it here, ladies and gentlemen, let's get to buster Oni. He had this here to say today. The Red Sox have been searching for a shortstop, speaking of Eli Daily Cruz in a market notably thin in shortstops. And you know the keyword that sticks out to me, there is market, the market. You gotta play to the market. You never know what could end up happening. You never know what possibilities could happen. I mean, Paul Tavoni just talked about it with Curtis Mead the other day. That was a guy that wasn't even on the board, and then all of a sudden teams were calling, and then things can happen, Things can change very quickly. So who knows, you know, again, Ellie day La Cruz, would he actually be on the market. I don't know about that. That's a little too much to dream of in my opinion. But we've talked about the usual suspects when it comes to shortstop possibilities for the Red Sox, and you might be asking why shortstop. We've talked about this too before. Obviously, Trevor Story has been out, He's going to be back eventually, But how what is that production going to look like? You don't know? Right, Yeah, you could say maybe the hernia was definitely a big factor in the performance drop at the beginning of the year. He was trying to play through it, couldn't do it. How much was that a factor there? I'm sure a good amount, but was there also just some you know, the performance is starting to come down a little bit. Maybe either way. You don't know what he's going to give you. You don't want to put all your eggs in that basket hoping that, Okay, Trevor Story is gonna come back and he's gonna really give us a lift. You don't know, and it's not fair, I think, to even expect that from someone coming back from a surgery and missing a whole lot of time, you know. So I'm not so sure about that. So that's where I wonder if the Red Sox they are looking to get as much insurance as possible. If you bring in a shortstop Story coming off surgery, maybe it would be better for him at least for the rest of this year to move over to second base. Why do I say at least this year? Well, you got to think about it from a market point of view, right, His agent wants Trevor Story to be playing shortstop, especially because he's going to be a free agent soon. He's gonna be hitting the market again. So I would imagine Trevor Story would like to stay playing shortstop to keep his value as high as possible. Does Why am I saying that? Because shortstops the positional value that they carry, it's one of the highest in the game. Teams will build around shortstops, right, So that's why you anytime you go to the draft, Right when you look at the draft and you may have like your long term shortstop already, and then you see your team draft a shortstop, you're like, why are we drafting a shortstop? We already have a shortstop, right, Like the Royals, if they pick up a short stop, you already got Bobby Wick Junior. Why are you drafting a shortstop? Because they tend to be the most athletic players. On the field, and they usually have a very good baseball like you, because shortstop is a very tough position to play. There's a lot of things going on there. So usually if you can handle shortstop, you more often than not are able to handle other positions. Right, You've seen guys at short go out to center field. Right. I mean, look at Trey Turner in the beginning of his career, he was playing, he was playing some center field right, so you know, Jackson Merrill, he moved out to center right. So they can move especially. I mean, if they can handle short, they can definitely handle second. I mean, look how good Trevor's Story was back in twenty twenty two at second base. He was great. There was one of the best defensive seasons at second base I think I've ever seen. So, yeah, Story, he's gonna want to play short, but you know, maybe you could convince him, like, hey, we really need this for this year. We'll figure it out for you in the off season. Right, So you could do that. But then again, you know, even if you do make that move, right, you pick up a short stop, you move Story over to second whatever it may be. You know, still you wonder, like, could you still you know it might be good to get that insurance, and then who knows, if Story isn't you know, he's not cutting it, then you still have Arius down at extra plea. If he if he's going to perform well over the next month or so, well, then you got him that you could possibly turn to. Right So it's this to me, sounds like they're really looking to cover their butts, and I think we just saw a good example of that trading for Curtis Mead over a week before the deadline. That was an aggressive move and they did a great job at getting ahead. In my opinion, you go back to Sonny Gray in the beginning of the off season, they make the move for him, they got ahead, They added a guy that you know is going to be really solid for you, but you still had like pretty much an entire offseason to address other needs, but even add more starting pitching, whichould they ended up doing right. So I think Craig he comes off as someone where he wants to throw out a wide net. He really wants to cover all the bases, no pun intended. So I'm not surprised that the Red Sox are in the market for a short stop, not surprised if story was playing, Well, that's a different conversation. Now, who could the Red Sox possibly be looking at? Well, are interesting that uh? You know C J. Abrams. Uh, you know, listen, a couple of weeks ago, a few weeks ago, I'm thinking, I don't know if the Nationals trade Abrams right now, but they're starting to you know, you're starting to hear the noise a little bit more. And maybe that's just the people in the media, you know, trying to get a good story, whatever it may be. But if we are looking here at the current standings, taking a look, if we're going over to the National League Wild Card, well, the Nationals they're right there. So you know, I don't know. That's that's why I get back to you, like, I don't know if the if the Nationals would really want to move Abrams at this point, you know, he's there right there. What would that say to the fan base? I mean, you got two MVP caliber players on your team this year in Abrams, would you've already traded away Med You're gonna trade away Abrams too? That's interesting to me, Now there was something out there. I'm going blank. I always hate to forget this, but I'm going blank on someone out someone put out there that the Nationals aren't actively shopping him, but they're at least listening to offers. So to Paul to Bony, He's like, all right, I got if I got a monster offer for mister Abrams. Well maybe we got to think about it. And we also had this here today from mister Jared Carabs over on the Section ten podcast, taking a look. Let's take a watch. Let's see what they got to.
Speaker 2: Say to It was the antithesis of what Coley said, because you know, we were in the scoop shop and the Langelier's news broke and it was like fuck, the price of Hunter Goodman just went up.
Speaker 1: And then call it was like sounds to me it's a family friendly show. I apologize. I was a school teacher for ten years. I can't accept the language. But I'll tell you I'll let it go this time.
Speaker 2: Like the price of Langoliers just went down, which is a great points aren't gonna want to sell for less? No, no, no, they won't sell for pennies on the dollar. But if if Hunter, if Langoleiers is off the table, and the price for Hunter Goodman just went up. Then that means I am solely focused on the shortstop position. I was told that just because the Red Sox traded for Mead, that doesn't mean that they wouldn't pursue c J. Abrams in a separate deal with the Nationals. So because that was another one of my thoughts. Besides, you know, Peyton Toley is sad and I don't like that. Is well, that means that they're not gonna they're not gonna make any other trades with the Nats, because why wouldn't you just have Early as part of this big package?
Speaker 1: But yeah, I want to touch on that one part right there. That's a that's an interesting point. Why didn't you just make a move for Abrams. Well, if you go back to the comments from Paul Toboni when he spoke about the trade, he's saying, things happen pretty quickly, right, it picked up pretty quick. Teams started getting aggressive for the Red Sox in that moment. They needed to make sure they got something at this deadline. Like I said, you know, they're trying to cover their butts a week out. So yeah, like you're in the moment right there for Curtis Mead. You don't have time to be trying to work out something else with Abrams. Listen, Abrams is the better player than Meat. Right, it is a little surprising that the Nationals traded one of their better bats in that lineup, but they needed pitching. So like in the moment, yeah, you're you're better off just sticking with the task at hand instead of trying to, you know, get cute like, oh, no, let's do something for Abrams, right, because you have a chance to get a good bat your line up right there. So I think that's the big point there, like, oh, why didn't you just do something for Abrams. Well, you don't know if you're gonna be able to get him, so at least get the guy that you know, it looks like the Nationals are going to move and ended up working out that way.
Speaker 2: So you've got You've got some shortstops out there that could be interesting to call up. And it's not going to be Bobby Witt. I would love for it to be Bobby Witt. It's not going to be Bobby Witt, but there are some other talented players at the tretstop position.
Speaker 1: You know, there's a couple of catcher two. I'm not out on. I'd call about Adley. I really wouldn't hesitate. Now you'd have to convince the Orioles to do it in division, but they would. I'm a fan. I'm glad Jared just said that. Like, I don't see Adley Rushman happening, as much as I would love for that to happen. Listen. I like Adley, I like him a lot, but I don't think you, especially with the Orioles, there's still in the hunt. You know, you don't trade one of your better players in division that is going to be on that team the next year if it was a rental like Okay, maybe I don't see it, but.
Speaker 2: C J.
Speaker 1: Abrams again, yeah, I think personally the Nationals will Listen. I don't think that guarantees that he's going to get moved. I do you know, Listen, if we're seeing these reports recently of for shortstops out there when it comes to the Red Sox, you're looking at including someone like Franklin Arius Well. I personally like when I saw the report from Pete Abraham, when I saw that you would have to do Arius for like Jeremy Pania, that to me, I'm like, what are we talking about because Jeremy Pani only is one year left. I don't know, Like unless the Astros were like, we're not moving Painia. If you want to do Arius, like okay, Like we'll talk about it, but we don't want to move him. I don't think Payia's going anywhere. The Astros, they they march to the beat of their own drum. Well, every team does, but the Astros especially, they don't trade these guys. They just don't. They want to. Jim Crane wants to put a competitive team on the field every year, and if that means that guy gets the free agency, then so be it. That's how he operates. Sure it'd be a fun story for Jeremy Panney, right, But you know, with Zach Netto, for example, I could understand that because the Angels don't have to move Nedos three more years of control left. So yeah, they should ask for Arius. Do we give him up for Neto? I don't think so. I don't think that's the route to go. If they wanted to do Marcelo Meyer and Anthony Ainson with some other prospects in there too, I am absolutely up for that kind of a conversation Arius, though, I wouldn't do it for Neto? Now would you do it for CJ. Abrams? Abrams is again you know, I'm gonna pull up the numbers. He's having a monster year and he still has two more years of control. My guess is they would want Arius back for this kind of production, right hitting two ninety seven A nine oh ps A one fifty three WRC plus twenty seven homers eighty two RBIs. I mean, this is a really good season from c. J. Abrams. This is his breakout, breakout year. He's had you know, some good seasons before, but not like this. So yeah, I think it would take Arius personally, because why wouldn't you demand someone like that for this type of production? Right? Uh, that's what I think now if we're looking at uh surplus trade values, I mean, yeah Arius right now. This is not saying Arius is the better player than c. J. Abrams. You might think you might be looking at the numbers right now like wow, Arius is already the better player. No, that's not what it means. It's when you it's the surplus Abrams. Yeah, he's gonna give you a lot of production over the next couple of years, but it's only two years and three months, and his salary is going to start going up as well as he gets close to the free agency. So it's the surplus, not the evaluation of a player. Arius, he has a lot because he is a sixty grade prospect right now, possibly higher in other organizations out there when it comes to valuing a player. So, yeah, he's a really good prospect. Obviously, he's a top three Baseball America, top ten on pipeline. So Fangrafts they have a really good article out there. If you want to go check it out, just google Fangraphs scouting Grades. It'll you'll see it. It's like the title has like twenty to eighty in it. You'll find it. It'll pop up right there. But it says in there that usually, on average, a sixty grade pro usually translates to a three wins above replacement player. I mean that's average, right, you know, that's on the average. He could definitely be better than a three war player. But when you think about you know, eventually, when Arius comes up, you're gonna have him for six years. And if you've got a three wins above replacement over six years, that's a lot of value right there, right one wins above replacement is worth around nine to ten million dollars. So if he gives you three war over six years, well that's a lot. It's eighteen wins above replacement eighteen times ten. You know that's that's worth one hundred and eighty million dollars. It's a lot. But then you also factor in that he is a prospect. There is risk there, so yeah, that's going to bring it down to a more digestible number like you see in front of the screen. Now, when it comes to baseball trade values, Franklin, Arius has the third highest value among all the prospects. So I believe heyesus. My day is number one. I'm going blank on who's number two. I think Arius is the third most So yeah, he's gonna have a lot of value. Abrams, you would only have him for two more years, so that's why you're seeing this difference. But for the Nationals, why wouldn't you ask for Arius in return? You should, You'd be you'd be irresponsible if you didn't. You can say, as a Red Sox fan, no way we're giving up Arius. Well, the Nationals have every right to ask for him and even demand him. Abrams is a good player. I think I think with Netto because he has flaws, he has more flaws than Abrams. Right, Netto defensively and plate discipline. Eh right, So like, yeah, you can kind of make those arguments like, no, we're not gonna give you Arius. You know, we like the good stuff with Neto, but there's a few other things that no, we can't do that. We'll do Marcella Meyer in some pitching, but for Abrams. Yeah, anyway, moving on, Yeah, I think you would have to do Arius uh in this kind of a deal. And to Bony, he would absolutely want Arius because he was with the Red Sox for years. He's he saw Arius, you know, starting up his career there. So yeah, I don't think CJ. Abrams is the most realistic, but who knows. Like we saw with Curtis Mead, things can happen really fast and conversations can change quickly. And obviously the Nationals are in the playoff hunt, I don't fully expect Abrams to be on the move. Now again with Netto, We've talked about Neto plenty of times. We all know it at this point. Guy can He's got good pop, he's got good athleticism. Oh, also, you know what, before I get there, I'll say this with Abrams, I'm gonna point out one more thing. I'm sorry I forgot to mention. I will actually say I was thinking about this this morning. I do wonder if the Reds, if they they are going to go for a short stop. I wonder if they would want to go for one that could go to the top of the order, that could lead off. They are so bad out of the leadoff spot looking at the numbers when it comes to ops out of the leadoff spot, they are dead last in Major League Baseball. They need an improvement there. Abrams, with his speed and able to get on base, to me, he's like a perfect candidate to go into that spot. The one knock on Abrams is his defense. But that's where you look at Story, right, Like, if Story is going to come back and Abrams is not good defensively there, you know, second base scouts view him as more of a second basement in the future. So could you do that? You know, I know, like you know scout his agent, that's gonna be a thing. No, we want to keep him a show because, yeah, we want to keep his value up. He's got a big payday coming so that's something to think about too. But scouts across the land do think he is more of a second baseman, So like, could you do that there? Story? When he comes back, he's at short, Abrams moves over to second base and Ivarrius is ready and Story slumping. Then Arius give him a shot at short right. So something I wanted to mention. I do wonder if a lefty bat at the top of the order is going to be something that the Red Sox would actually hope to get, because you think you just added another right handed bat with Mead. If you add another righty bat, well you're starting to get a little righty heavy, which is interesting because they've been they were getting more towards lefty heavy over the last couple of years. Right you were always looking for this right handed bat. Well, now you got one with Mead. If you add another righty, I mean you got really only a couple of lefties. You know, you have Williard Duran, you know Masa. So I don't know something to think about. I wonder if they prefer that, you know, a lefty at the top of the order with some speed right that fits into their style. So we'll see, we'll see moving on again with Netto, We've already talked about him a lot. Yeah, like, I'm up for it as long as Arius is not included. But then again, you go back to the conversation once again, is Neto more of a a better fit at either third base or second base? Short? He's had some issues. He's a playmaker at short. He's athletic, he's going to make some nice plays, but consistently he's had some issues. Right, He's got he's way in the in the negatives on the outs above average. I think his righty back would fit perfect Femway Park. He's got that pole swing, he's got some pop, he's got speed that fits into the aggressive base running style the Red Sox have been implementing. So yeah, there's a there's arguments for Netto, but not for Franklin Arius. Here's one guy I actually thought about this morning. I've seen this name pop up a little bit over the last I mean even going back to the offseason. I've been seeing this name Otto Lopez with the Marlins. Now you might be thinking, well, the Marlins, I mean they're in the postseason race. Well, the Marlins have been dropping games left and right. The Marlins are free falling right now, would they be open to selling high on Auto Lopez, just like we kind of saw with the Nationals with Curtis Mead. Lopez has been a good player over the last couple of years, but this is easily his best season. He's hitting three twenty eight eight fifty three ops a, one to thirty one WRC plus nine homers forty seven RBIs now if we look at stackcast taking a look, and he also kind of fits into kind of what the Red Sox have been trying to do with hitters, right they look for those good floor guys. He makes a lot of contact, he doesn't strike out, he doesn't swing and miss. He does chase out of the zone, and he does walk a good amount, so he is pretty aggressive up there. But he does make a lot of contact. He squares up the ball well. But the batter ball profile is on the lower side and the Red Sox so you've been seeing them implementing more bat speed, trying to get more exit v LO out of these guys. He doesn't. He's a righty bat. He doesn't pull very much, so that's the one thing he doesn't really fit into. That pull air percentage of the Red Sox have been looking for to. But he's going to give you good speed, he's going to give you good defense. And another thing too is he has played a lot of second base, he's played well at short. But that's a guy that could move over. You know again, if you want if Story, if you're going to be putting him back at short, I know, numbers wise, you'd look at this and be like, oh, why wouldn't you put him at short? You have the option either way. You could put him at shore if you got him or Story or who you know, you can you have that flexibility is That's what I think is important here. So he's got a little bit of control left. And again he's kind of like one of these guys that are trending up, So like do the Red Sox look to take advantage of that and instead of going for an expensive option like a Netto or an Abrahms Otto, Lopez would not cost as much as those guys. It's like, I wonder if he would be an option here. Again, it's like a you're going for a guy that's trending up, someone to think about. I don't know if necessarily that's someone they would go for but I see some qualities that they have shown to like, you want a blockbuster, ladies and gentlemen, you want a blockbuster? Well, hey, Francisco Lindor, right, I mean, this is a This is definitely something to debate about Lindor. He's been a very interesting player this year. Obviously, the Mets have completely just collapsed this year. It's been a nightmare. He's coming off of a calf injury. He's not having a good season. He's only hitting two twenty three six 't eighty six ops, ninety four WRC plus. But you wonder you've been hearing his name a little bit. If the Mets are looking to try to get out of that contract, could you see Craig. We've had reports that Craig in the front office they could be willing to take on money. Here's where I think the hold up is. And here's why I don't think it's realistic. Again, because he's a shortstop. He's not moving over to second base. You have arius coming up, so I don't think this is going to happen. But I did just want to bring him up just to talk about it because I know people are going to suggest it. So I don't think it's very realistic. Personally, he's not having a good season. You know, if you think about a guy though, like if you're looking at it, you know someone that could possibly go to the top of the order, you know, get a switch hitter right the ban using Siegler who's a switch hitter at the top of the order. So you kind of wonder if that could fit. You wouldn't have to give up really a whole lot for him because you'd be taking on the contract. So you know, it's again I see like some arguments for it, but I don't really think it's realistic. I know he's going to be an option that gets brought up. Though I've mentioned now let's get away from shortstop a little bit. If you are okay with Trevor's story coming back and playing short like, if you're fine with that, and then you have Arius as a backup in triple A, possibly someone depending on how he does, he's some insurance there. Could you look at second base, And I've mentioned the idea of Luis or Eyes and again, like you know, like I've said here, I've said it multiple times, I think they need a consistent option out of the leadoff spot. I think they need that, and we just said earlier like you feel like, you know, maybe getting a lefty here will kind of help balance things out with a Rise, he's at second base. He's been good defensively there. He's having a great season at the plate, hitting three twenty seven, eight to fourteen ops one three WRC plus. He's not going to give you power, but that's not what you're looking for. You're looking for a guy that could just be a nice option out of the leadoff spot that gets things going, got back to ball, you know, So a Rise he can play second base. Curtis Meade. I know they said that he's going to be getting a good amount of looks at second very small sample with him there, so that's a wait and see. But if you did bringing a Rise like you could still kind of, you know, go back and forth. When a Rise needs a day off, he can or a day off in the field, he can DH and then Mead can play second right, So you can still make that work. That's a that's a that's a good under That's an underrated thing with Mead is he has versatility. Green Monster nineteen. I like Tony leading off, I listen, I love Siegs man, I love Siegs. The thing is is, lately he's been inconsistent, and I got I'm checking, just got a notification. I'm making sure we keep our eyes on what's going on on Twitter. But yeah, Siegs, he had a great game the other night, but he has been inconsistent overall over the last couple of weeks or so. The numbers were not looking great over that sample going into that good game the other night. So yeah, I like the energy that he brings, but you kind of wonder if he would be better off in like a utility kind of a role. You know, I like, I like Siegler, but but if you really wanted to get an option that you know you can count on every single day to go into the leadoff spot, put the bat on the ball, get some hits, I think a rise is still an option, and then you know, shortstop all right, Trevor story and then maybe Arius if he's showing the ability to get a call up. I think a rise is still some And you know you want to talk about too. You seemed all the time with Craig it's deals that you're not hearing about. We're not hearing anything about a rise in the red Sox. So I don't know if it's not, if it's a possible option, but you know it would be one that you haven't heard anything about. There's been really no connection even Jeff Passing with you know, his trade candidates articles that he puts out. He never puts the Red Sox for him, but he also never put Curtis Meade in that article. So again and with a rise. I think also a benefit too is he would just be a rental and you know, so that gives you kind of that flexibility to you know, you're not tied down to something. So you go into the off season and you figure out second base at that point, so looking at another option, well, you know, let's actually move on here from the middle infield. Oh you know what, Actually I do want to talk about this for a second. Do you want to talk about this? Kateel Marte, I guess wiped out his entire Instagram and he took out the Diamondbacks out of his bio and everything. So people are like running rampant right now saying, oh my goodness, he wants out of Arizona. He's gonna get traded. Well, I mean, hey, we all know about ktel Marte. We are very very familiar with this, and there was actually I believe there was a oh he deleted the tweet. Oh that's interesting. I saw this. It was from Diamondbacks at Diamondbacks Prospects could tell Marte has cleared his Instagram of all of his Dback's content. But then I think there was an article somewhere or there was someone that reported let me actually pull this up because I want to make sure we don't get too crazy with this. Can tell Marte. Okay, here we go. It was from It was from here, Uh, John Gambadoro, I believe he was talking to tell Marte stuff, and I think even Bregman in the off season, but he said here, if you're referring to can tell Marte scrubbing his Instagram, it's not trade related. The Diamondbacks are not looking to trade, can tell Marte. So let's just kind of move on from this. Okay, let's move on from this. But we also had here talk about catchures for the Red Sox today. Talk about catchures. We're gonna get to that in just a second. We are going to take a quick break. Take a quick break before we talk about these catchers. If you can. Everybody hit the like button subscribe if you're new award from our sponsor for today, We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: Todd Father, are you hitting some games this summer? What's the deal?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Of course, And it's real simple, Scottie Braun. You know how it is. You go to seat geek and you can find any deal you want in any section you want, even if the game sold out. Go to seat geek and you'll find something that you love, affordable for your family, that you can enjoy anywhere, anytime, at any ballpark and stadium you want enjoy it. It's the best opportunity to go see a beautiful game of baseball.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing that you can be so last minute. Sea geek is the official ticket marketplace of Major League Baseball. They have you covered for all of your baseball ticket needs the entire summer. They also have over seventy thousand events on sea gek that includes concerts, festivals, all kinds of sporting events. So go check it out right now. FTFAM the code is Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at se geek. That's ten percent off with promo code territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app, and then the code automatically is added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 1: Alrighty, let's get see it here. Passin also Jeff Passon. Now we're going to get to this article here from Ken Rosenthal. But Jeff Passen was on Instagram threads. I always forget about threads. It's but remember it's it's there. You can't you can't forget about these outlets. Passing has a kind of a thing for threads. But before we get to that, let's talk about this article here with catchers. Now we had this from Kim Rosenthal. A number of teams including the Ale East Powers, the Tampa Bay Rays, New York Yankees, and the Boston Red Sox. I also imagine the Rangers would be in this mix because they could use an upgrade there, want to add a catcher. Another potential trade candidate, the Athletics, Shay Langliers, went on the injured list Sunday with a tormniscus in his right knee, which is potentially season ending, effectively removes him from the trade market. Goodman twenty six entered Sunday age twenty six. Sorry entered Sunday third of the majors with thirty one home runs at twelfth with an ops of eight ninety. And it's not out of clubs are weary of a run producer who plays his home games at a hitter friendly corps field. Goodman is one of the sport's top road performers. I love that. I love that a guy with the Rockies is like, all right, I'm gonna kind of debunk this whole thing. I can mash away from cores, so just watch. I'm glad Goodman's been to do that. Yet interested clubs are resisting the Rockies early ask, according to people briefed on the discussions, in part because of their dissatisfaction with Goodman's work behind the plate. I've been trying to tell people this, ladies and gentlemen, listen. Goodman is absolutely a guy that can mash in the middle of the order. I have no doubt about that. But there are some negatives with him, and I've seen people, man, I'm like arguing with people like I don't like. I don't know, I don't I don't think I'm necessarily arguing with people. I just try to give people information, but some people out there just don't want to take the information. They just want to be like, no, that's you're a moron. I don't need to listen to that. It's like, okay, I'm just trying to help you out. But with Goodman, I've said multiple times to people, he's not gonna be as He's going to cost you something. He's absolutely I'm not saying he's gonna cost you a bag of chips. He's gonna cost you a decent amount, but not like you know what it would cost to you know, even get Abrams or Netto or even you know, especially you know, someone like a of course, like a Bobby Wick Junior's gonna be nowhere near that. Goodman is going to cost you something, but not as much as you would think because his defense is so so behind the plate. The metrics show that, and his plate discipline is a big red flag. Do you want a good example of plate discipline coming back to bite you, lack of plate discipline coming back to bite you. I mean, listen, I'm not comparing these two, but you just take a look at cal Raley last year. The guy had sixty home runs, but there was so much swing and miss. There were a lot of strikeouts, and look what's happened to cal Rally because pictures, I don't know what it was. Pitchers just could not figure this guy out. Last year. He just holy cow, he won an incredible run last year. But as time went on, once teams really got to kind of sit back and be like, oh, you know what, this is how we're gonna attack Kyle Raley. Well, now you've seen him this year. He went to the WBC. I mean he said that kind of you know, probably threw him off a little bit. But still, you know, with that and already not having great plate discipline, yeah, you're you're gonna see a pretty big, pretty big fall off right there. And look what's happened again. I'm not comparing the two. Kyle Raley I still think is you know, is an amazing catcher. Unfortunately he's just having a horrible slump this year. But you when you lack plate discipline, that can really catch up to you. Goodman, his projections are not going to be as strong moving forward because of that, and because of the defense and also his getting back to his value. He is going into his arbitration years now. He is going to start making more money. So as that money increases and the projections are going to kind of stay well, that surplus is going to start getting smaller because that money is going to start getting higher and there's not really much growth more growth for his projections at least as of right now, unless he really fixes something. You know, because the game of baseball, as we know, ladies and gentlemen, it can change fast, right every day you got games going on, all of a sudden, the Marlins are twenty and six and then they're losing ten in a row. Things can change really quick. So yeah, values are dynamic. Just like that. He could definitely Hunter Goodman could definitely go into the offseason and he could really fix up that plate discipline, lower the strikeouts, really work on that defense, and all of a sudden, next year Great defensively lowers the strikeouts. Yeah, I mean, then the projections will start going up. But based off of what you have right now. You can't base projections off of what you don't see. You have to go off of what you see in front of you. So anyway, I just want to point that out there. So now, if you were to make a trade for Hunter Goodman. Again, it's it's it's gonna cost you something. It's not gonna be cheap. So looking at Goodman, he's got right around a thirty million dollar value on the median side as of right now, which is good so for the Red Sox. If they really wanted to try and pull off something, I mean, yeah, they definitely could. Now would the Rockies want Marcello Meyer? I don't know. Now you might be thinking here, wow, Marcello Meyer has around the same value as Hunter Goodman. That doesn't mean Marcello Meyer is the better player than Hunter Goodman as we speak. I had an argument with someone yesterday about this surplus value is around the same right now with Marcelo Meyer and Hunter Goodman. Again, not a better player than Hunter Goodman. But when you consider Marcella Meyer was a top fifteen prospect last year, scouts are not going to put someone that high on prospect boards just for fun. Oh Marcelo Meyer, Oh he's gotta he's got a he's got some good looking hair, He's he's a handsome guy. Oh man, he's got a nice swing. Alright, you know what, We're gonna put him in the top fifteen. No, that's not how it works. Marcelo Meyer. As bad as he's been this year, as even with all the injuries that he's had, he still has good upside, which scouts see because he has good pop from the left side of the plate, and he's shown a lot of good things defensively, has a good baseball IQ. There is a lot more upside. Attack been to a lot more. I mean, I've mentioned this before, Jordan Walker, Pete curR Armstrong. Took them a little bit to really get things going, and now they're two of the top young players in the game. Marcelo Meyer, Yeah, he's having a down year now, but we could be seeing Meyer maybe a couple of years where he's really lifted, he really takes off. You don't know. So, Yeah, Marcela Meyer, Hunter Goodman surplus value is around the same right now because Meyer again top fifteen prospect last year, five more years of control, that's a long time still in his pre RB years. This is actually pretty low value for a young shortstop that was just a top fifteen prospect. That's a low value. Shortstops are going to have some of the highest value in the game. That's why you see guys like Bobby Wick junior Ellie de la Cruz very high, right, So yeah, just want to point that out for everyone, because I don't want you to think I'm saying by showing you this, Mark Sela Meyer is a better player than Hunter Goodman. Of course he's not right now looking at the overall package. So would the Rockies want Marcel Meyer in a deal? I would actually say probably not because obviously he's on the IL right now. He hasn't been able to figure it out, so you know, I don't know if the Rockies would want to take a chance on that. For the Angels, I think maybe there's a bit of a different case possibly if they're going to give up a shortstop in netto Will, at least they'd get a high upside one in return with some pitching, you know, So you can make that argument. For the Rockies though they already got Ezekiel Tavar. They just drafted Ethan Holliday pretty high last year, and then they just drafted and shortstop Tyler Bell out of Kentucky, so they got a lot of shortstops there. So I don't know do they want Marcela Meyer. I don't know. My guess would be no. Now could you do a deal with Anthony Ions maybe you know the Rockies. I mean, listen, they need to pitch it. They need to pitching. I can maybe see something like that. But then again, would the Red Sox want to give up Ayenson for someone that that could that has red flags? There's a lot of power right now, of course there is. He would definitely help you this year, but they'd really have to shure up that plate discipline. And if you go back, you know over the years, you know, the last couple of years or so, they're trying to clean up those strikeouts. Yeah, they still want to hit the ball hard, but they're leading more towards putting the bat on the ball and trying to just be more efficient with the bat instead of just trying to hit the crap out of the ball. So I don't know if Hunter Goodwin is even someone the Red Sox would like fully cove it. I'm sure they'd be like, okay, yeah, what would it take to get him? You could definitely help us a lot. So yeah, I mean, I don't know. I don't know if they'd give up Anthony Jinson though, I really don't think so. Could they tempt them. I actually wonder if we're going to see a report at some point that Justin Gonzalez is getting interest. This guy is mashing. He is mashing, Holy cow, Justin Gonzalez. Cause he had a walk off home run yesterday. Catchers out there are are afraid for their life around him. I don't know if anyone saw that clip of him he hit a home run. I guess the catcher took notice that maybe he was taking his time around the bases a little bit. Catcher said something to him when he got home. Justin Gonzalez is like, who the heck are you? What are you? What are you gonna do? I'm I'm a massive boy here. What are you gonna do to me? The catcher was saying stuff, and then Justin Gonzalez just just freaking like a I just smacked the top of his helmet. Holy cow. I would be very afraid to be around an angry Justin Gonzalez. But I actually wonder if he's gonna get some interest, because, I mean, the guy is looking like man, he's looking like the real deal. I know he's still far away, he's got a long way to go, but he's looking good down an a ball. So I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see a report at some point that the Red Sox were getting a lot of interesting justin Gonzalaz. I don't think they should move him. Please do not trade this guy. Please. This guy's a maniac. He's a freak. Now. I'm not gonna sit here and say he's gonna be yorded on Avarez from the right side of the plate, But holy cow, when you look at the build, when you look at the power upside, this guy scout like, I mean, you gotta wonder, like, do you have your future yard on Alvarez from the right side of the plate. Please do not move him, please? And Andy as a car. That's a guy that's really broken out in the minor leagues this year. He's very far away. Could the Red Sox actually tempt some people like with him, But then again, it's good depth in the lower end of their minor league system, so I don't know. I think again, it's always it always comes down to the right deal. Like Franklin Premira, I don't know if the Red Sox would trade him, because they've really been they got to sure up the catching within the organization. It's been kind of a question mark, I don't know, like you got, Like, I don't know. Kyson Witherspoon's not having a great year, so I don't know. I mean again, he has that top draft pick status, so you know, there is definitely a lot to work with there. He's just got to put it together, you know. Could he be a part of the deal, like Henry godbout could you see him? He's looking good in the miners like Marcus Phillips, same as Kyson Witherspoon. He's having a bit of a tough time, but there's there's some projection there. So like, I don't know, Like I wonder if the Red Sox actually line up as a good trade partner with the Rockies for Hunter Goodman. I just I don't know, based off of what I think the Red Sox preference would be and what the Rockies would ask for, I don't know if they line up necessarily. Now, could you call the Orioles, hey, listen? I know we uh, I know we play each other a lot, but would you would you be opposed to giving us adle? What do you think? Again, I don't think he's gonna get I don't think he's gonna get moved, I'd be I'd be surprised if he gets moved. But in division, come on, that's not gonna happen. I'd like adli Adley's He's been one of my favorite players over the last few years. I really like him a lot. Ryan Jeffers listen, you know, I don't know. This is where I kind of get back to where I think what the Red Sox think of their catching with for this year. They have made it work. The uh Carlos Snervas, Connor Wong. These guys are laying down sack bunts all over the place. You got a good thing going with the with the pitching staff. You know, you kind of wonder if, like, how interested are they in that? That is a big thing. Man, that's a big thing. When you got a good thing going on with your catchers and pictures, when you guys are on the same page, that's a really That's one of those little details that I think people overlook a lot. I could even say from experience, I was not by any means a good picture when I was in high school, But there was one cattuer that I loved working with, loved working with this guy. We just had it going on man like we just it just felt like he knew what I wanted to do, and I knew what he was gonna call, and I knew the locations. Oh, we were just on the same page. It was beautiful. And actually I do remember I pulled up my numbers. I had two starts with one catture. We had two cattures basically kind of like Wong and Nervas going back and forth. Right. One guy I had like an Elra over like a forty. I remember I gave up like ten runs in a game with him and we were not seeing eye to eye. I still remember he got like frustrated because I'm like, no, I kept shaking him off, not like I madey good. Well, like I shook him off a couple of times. Remember him going like, what do you what are you doing? And I was like, I don't, I don't want to do that pitch man, like I don't know. We didn't. We didn't see eye to eye really, but the other guy. Funny enough, that other guy actually ended up getting drafted. He was actually in the Red Sox system. That's a cool that's actually a pretty cool story. My favorite cacture in high school was actually in the Red Sox system at one point. Go look him up. His name's Harrison Coty. He was a draft pick out of Florida Gulf Coast University. I believe he got drafted by the Angels. He bounced around. I think he ended up going to the Red Sox at one point. But yeah, that was my favorite cacture in high school, Harrison Cody. Shout out to you, my friend. You were awesome as a catcher. He actually converted into a picture in high school. He transferred high schools at he he was a catcher, but then the school that he went to was like, hey, we already got a guy, but like, you have a really good arm. Do you want to be a picture? And he's like all right. And then this guy ended up being great as a picture. He went to Florida Gulf Coast as a picture, same school Chris Sale went to and he got drafted as a picture. So yeah, go look him up, Harris and Cooney. Really good guy. I hope he's doing all right. So anyway, I got really off subject there. Do the Red Sox want to mess with what they got going on? If they wanted to add some more offense? I think Jeffers is a sensible option if they really wanted to. I mean he would definitely. He's come back recently. How is he doing recently? Here? Let's see over. I don't know if it's gonna give me the numbers. Let me look him up. Let me go to his game log over the last ten or so since coming back off the IL. It's been a little bit here, so he's played. He's played about like what ten games. Looks like he's hitting really well since coming off the IL. He's hitting two eighty six five point fourteen on the slugging over a three point forty on base. He's got a couple of homers as well, So it doesn't look like Ryan Jeffers has skipped a beat. Again, this is gonna come down to can they line up? Do the Twins even end up moving him? That's another thing again. Let's check out the standings again. Let's see what's going on. Where are my standings?
Speaker 4: Here?
Speaker 1: We go taking a look wild card race. I mean, the Twins are a game back. I don't know, do you move him?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: This is what makes it so tough for like these teams that are hanging around right now, like the Tigers, they got a big decision coming up three and a half out. That's gonna be really interesting to see what move they make with if they move Schooble. I think right now, like pretty much Blue Jays, Royals, A's Angels, they are looking like prime sellers, Tigers, Orioles. I think there's still they're waiting this out. I think they're gonna see what happens this week. Astros I really don't think are gonna sell unless they get like creative or if they traded away a guy, but you can bring someone back that can help the team now and over the next couple of years. Mariners. I don't think the Mariners. The Mariners are not gonna sell. They got too much talent. Uh, they're a game and a half out. They're right there. They're gonna they're gonna look to add. But it's it's interesting with the Twins because you know, kind of coming into the year, you just think like, I don't know, like where what are you gonna do this year? So I don't know, but they're right there. But Jeffers, you know, I think you would bring back something that's gonna come down to if they feel like the offer is good enough. You know, so teams might not give them, you know, like Ana Maze, because they're only gonna have him for a couple couple of months, three months. So I don't know that's gonna be interesting. But Jeffers, yeah, he would definitely help you. But again, I wonder do the Red Sox want to mess with this? So that's where I get back to short. That's where I get back to short, ladies and gentlemen. You know, if you're looking for a clean upgrade that can give you insurance, you know, with story coming back, I think you gotta look at that. I will also say, we did talk about this last night. I'm gonna throw this out there. If you're looking for like kind of something like out of left field, you're looking for like something where that's like not a clear thing right now. I don't know, Like we talked about this yesterday, like could they show some interest in Soda Strom Like he's popped up a little little bit as like a possible guy. I think Bob Nightingale was the one that put that out there. It's always weird with Bob. You gotta be you gotta be careful. He throws a lot of stuff out there. But the A's they've completely fallen off this year. You know, they just signed him to an extension, but do they do they listen to offers? Now? With soda Strom, he's you know, he's a guy that's pretty much gonna be left first base and d H I think that comes down to, like what happens with Roman? I don't know, But then you'd have to figure that out in the off season. I saw Red Sox stats mention him. It's just a matter of where do you fit him though, so and then you know, you'd have to figure out Duran. You know, that's a whole that's a whole story in itself with his down year, But like how do you make that work right? Again? I've seen people I've seen his name being mentioned, but like could that be an example of like just kind of like a like a what the like what how are you? How are you gonna do that? You know, like we've seen those kind of moves before where you like on when you see it, you're like huh, like why like why are we doing that? Like I don't know, it's one of those just like an out of left field, no pun intended. So I don't know someone like that like someone that could have some versatility to play some outfield. Place him infield. Oh also I'll mention as well, where did he go? Like Luis Garcia Junior. We've talked about him before. That's more of like a d H first base kind of an option, like if you really wanted to get another bat in this lineup, you know, could he be someone? We've heard his name? But then again was that more you were talking about him and maybe it moved over to Curtis Mead, you know, So again you'd have to kind of figure out the fit. So so, I don't know, be prepared. I'm not saying something like this is gonna happen, but be prepared for like an odd ball kind of a move where it takes a little bit to figure out how it's gonna work. So that is all for this when it comes to the trade, candidate