Speaker 1: While we hope Couch Talks can be a tool that helps them supports wherever you are in life. Couch Talks does not serve as a replacement or substitute for therapy or any mental health services.
Speaker 2: To good all right, break it down. If you ever have feelings that you just won't home, Amy and Cat gotcha, Cob and like a brother, the ladies and folks, we just follow an the spirit where it's out of the front and real stuff to the chill stuff and them but swaying. Sometimes the best thing you can do it just stop you feel. This is Feeling Things with Amy and Cat.
Speaker 3: Happy Thursday.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Couch Talks, our Q and a episode to the Feeling Things podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm Amy and I'm Cat and We're going.
Speaker 4: To start off with a pretty powerful email and I'm gonna paraphrase it because it was incredibly long and we'll just get right into it and the topic is not light there. She even gave us a trigger warning. I'll read that as part of the email. It starts off, Hey, my name is V. I'm twenty five years old from Virginia. V from Virginia.
Speaker 5: I love you love an alliteration.
Speaker 4: Uh trigger warning This email includes references to abuse, addiction, and suicide threats. I want to preface this by saying that you're welcome to read, share, or paraphrase any part of this email on the podcast at your discretion. So after that line, we paraphrased uh and condensed everything that V had to share. So the details that you need to know to understand her question for us, she was in a severely abusive relationship, emotional, physical, and psychological. He was an alcoholic and an addict who cheated, lied, made suicide threats. He held weapons to his head, forced her to watch, and at one point he actually fired a gun into a voicemail to make her think that he had taken his life. Every time she tried to leave, he pulled her back in through manipulation, threats or empty promises. She became pregnant, and he abandoned her during the entire pregnancy. After she gave birth, he denied being the father, called her horrible names, and threatened to take their daughter away, while simultaneously offering to disappear forever for one thousand dollars. He's never met his daughter. She has since seen on Facebook that he appears to be happy committed or in a happy, committed relationship with someone else. She herself has been in therapy for a year and is starting EMDR with a new therapist. Her actual questions that she included in the email, how do you accept that there may never be justice, accountability, or an apology. How do you move forward when the person who caused all the harm appears to have gotten a fresh start while you are still carrying the consequences. And how do you hold on to hope for your own future when his apparent happiness feels like proof that he was rewarded and you were discarded. So I told you we were starting off heavy and out of the gate. This isn't even into the deep stuff. This is just such a reminder to all of us what you see on Facebook and Instagram isn't real life. So I think that's one thing you can do for yourself is maybe not even look at his stuff, but if you do look at it with a filter of you even use that he appears to be happy in another relationship with someone else, you know the torment you went through with him.
Speaker 3: I don't know a person.
Speaker 4: If that's how they operate in life, their relationship is probably not happy unless he's done some real work and he's gotten healing and he's a completely different person, because they may appear happy.
Speaker 3: But I just doubt that's the case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's clear he is really good at manipulating, and he's he's a liar, and he from this email. I don't know this person, but all of these if all of these things are true, then he's not going to snap his fingers and start dating somebody else and be a completely different person to that person. However he might want you to think that, like and everybody else and everybody else. Yeah, And so I as hard as that is, I feel like it's that's kind of some of that advice that people let go in one ear and out the other because you hear it so often, but you hear it so often.
Speaker 5: Because it is so true.
Speaker 1: We talk about this all the time in general, not even about x's and stuff, but just in general being careful of the things that you see on Instagram, like that people are selling or whatever it is that they might that this is working for them, but we don't really know that. So this is the same idea, just at a very higher risk level that yeah, anybody can put anything. Also Also, you can make a lot of fake stuff now, like on AI and chat GBT, like you can.
Speaker 3: Wait, do you think his girlfriend's AI?
Speaker 5: It could be? It could be. I mean I haven't used like the.
Speaker 1: Photo stuff that often, but even this last week I typed in there and was like, can you put curtains on my window? And it looks like a real photo and it looks like so oh.
Speaker 4: You know, on Tuesday's episode, I was telling you about my friend's Hinge profile and we were going through the fifty men that had sent her a rose or whatever, and one of them. I thought, oh my gosh, wait this guy is cute and oh he's a surgeon. I mean, there was all this stuff and then as we scrolled, she was like, no, this is AI and I was like, wait, there's AI people on Hinge. And he gave his instagram that you could look up to and he looked up the Instagram, and so much about it seemed so fake. And remember cry ocat. I think on Riyah that dating app you have to get invited to.
Speaker 3: I think she got.
Speaker 4: Scammed by AI photos or some fake photos and she thought he was some Italian model and she's like, look at this guy that's into me I don't even know well, and she's beautiful, so I thought, okay, yeah, this Italian model might be under her like I don't know. But turns out it was total scam situation and it was through a dating app. And so that's a really good point, Like what's It's kind of everywhere and we need to be aware of it in some places like on Instagram now it needs to be labeled, like if you upload something AI like, it'll give.
Speaker 3: A tag that says that. But I don't know if Facebook.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I feel like you can get away with it, like I just there's probably loopholes. And I'm not saying this guy is like made up a AI girlfriend, but I'm just saying, like you, now is a time where we have to question things before we believe them, which I hate that because it feels very cynical, but we should not just I'm the kind of person who wants to believe the good and everything, but I've learned time and time again you can't do that because I end up hurting my own feelings by doing that. So I would encourage her to take everything she sees with a very large grain of salt, and also just let's say he is in a new relationship and he's happy. Does that now make you want to be back with him? Because your relationship doesn't sound like anything that you ever wanted, and he has hurt you, he doesn't deserve to be in your life. He probably doesn't deserve to be in his daughter's life at this point. Like to respect yourself, we have to create boundaries and not allow people, even if they've changed, like because we.
Speaker 5: Have been hurt in some way.
Speaker 1: Sometimes okay to say like, good for you, I'm so glad that you are. Don't have to be glad, but like, good for you that you've created this new life for yourself. I deserve somebody who would have never done that to me.
Speaker 4: I wonder if it would be helpful for her to mute his account so that she doesn't have to even see it.
Speaker 1: I've also one of my first thoughts was, like, somebody could have sent her these photos.
Speaker 5: I don't know. Maybe she's not Facebook.
Speaker 1: Friends with him, but if she is, I would highly recommend cut off any kind of any kind of access you have to his life and he has to your life, because he is an to me. This is if all of this is true and we can't give like actual advice because we don't know this person. This is a podcast, but to me, this person is very unsafe, so they don't need access to any part of your life. And for your asking like how do I like accept and move on? A part of that is cutting off this part of your life. And we've talked recently about how sometimes we're quick to cut off several relationships. This is one of those situations that it makes sense, like he didn't just hurt your feelings one time, he endangered you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and having to deal with the fact that there may never be justice, accountability or an apology. That's where radical acceptance comes in. Yeah, you have to look at the type of person that you're dealing with. You have started there, or you've been doing therapy for a year, you're starting AMDR, You're getting the tools that you need that will help you radically accept that. He's the type of person you may not get that from.
Speaker 1: And well, I like to think with that is I get that. I get it because I also would want justice.
Speaker 3: Yes, that is like the queen of justice.
Speaker 1: How many times have I well, I've recently talked about my YELP review, but I oftentimes am like, I'm going to write a review for this.
Speaker 3: It's not right, and it's not.
Speaker 1: But what I would hope for her is that what becomes more important about him getting what he deserves is that you get what you deserve. So what kind of life are you living?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 1: You're doing the work to heal from this. You one day will have a relationship that brings you joy and feel safe and loving, and that is more important. Your life is more important than what happens.
Speaker 4: To him and the type of life you get to provide for your daughter. And that's so there's radical acceptance in there. There's also you doing what you need to do for your life, which is you're already doing it, minus the you may need to. However, you're getting access to his Facebook information, and if friends are sending that to you, you maybe ask friends like, hey, I don't I'd rather not know unless it's information that I need because of my daughter, I probably don't need to know what's going on with his life and his relationship. That question was how do I move forward when the person who caused harm appears?
Speaker 3: Who've gotten a.
Speaker 4: Fresh start, Well, you're getting a new start too, because you've gotten him out of your life, So I would shift perspective on Thank goodness you're out from under that, because you could still be stuck there. So this is a fresh start for you, and you've already started with the tools that you have, and then you get to move and from your path and what is now possible from this? How do you get to come alongside and support other people that have gone through something similar.
Speaker 3: It may not be right.
Speaker 4: Away, but then that's one of the ways we get to use our pain to help others.
Speaker 5: Do you did you see that interview? I wish I knew who it was with.
Speaker 1: I want to say, with Stephen Colbert and somebody else, but it could be wrong, but it was asking, like one of them, how do you deal with like the hardest parts of your life and these things that you've been through.
Speaker 5: Is this ringing a bell to you?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 5: Okay? Well his response was this will make me cry. God, I've been doing so good.
Speaker 4: His response was, Kat's seven and a half months pregnant. By the way, in case you're having to be tuning in for the very first time, not all of our emails are this heavy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Kat does cry a lot.
Speaker 1: He's I'm paraphrasing, he said it much more eloquently, but it just felt so good and it's so true, he said. I have a lot of gratitude for the things that have hurt me in my life, not because I'm happy that they have happened, but because that is what connects us to other human beings. Being able to relate to somebody else and be able to hear somebody else's story and have compassion for them and be able to help them through something.
Speaker 5: Those are the most meaningful parts of relationships.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's fun to go to party and go on vacations and do all this stuff, but the most meaningful parts of life are when you're going through something and I can be there for you and I can understand you. So that's how I have gratitude for and can accept that these things have happened to me, is because I have to believe that they are there to bring me closer to other people and connect me to people.
Speaker 5: I did a pretty good getting through that, actually I did.
Speaker 1: So there's that I wish I had that video because then I would send that to this person that it was as that was really helpful to hear.
Speaker 5: But I think all that's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think that if you're wondering how to hold on to hope, like to me, I have to cling to hope at times when it doesn't I even tattooed it on my arm whenever I was in the process of adoption like my husband and I at the time it took us five years to get our kids from Haiti and a spaw me hope and Haitian creole, and I tattooed a spot on my wrist so that every day I would look at it and I was reminded to keep the faith and to have hope. And you may need to just have little reminders for yourself. Doesn't mean it has to be a tattoo. But my story wasn't working out the way I thought, but I had to surrender my dream of getting pregnant and having babies. That storyline shifted completely, and becoming a mom happened in a way that I never would have imagined for myself at all whatsoever. Not only did we end up not ever having a baby, then we were going to adopt a baby, and we didn't even adopt a baby. We adopted two older children, so everything looked different, like I never got to change diapers or wake up in the middle of the night because they're crying and hold them. And like, there's a lot of things that I was looking forward to when it came to becoming a mom that I.
Speaker 3: Had to.
Speaker 4: You know, I had hope for that too, And then my period would come, and every time that would be the vicious cycle of crying and then starting that. But then this my story shifted, and your story is shifting. Like this is a completely different chapter that you now get to write for yourself, and thank goodness, he's not a part of it.
Speaker 5: M H.
Speaker 4: So have a little way for you to remember that hope is there. You're doing the work and these are going to be some beautiful chapters with you and your daughter. And I'm so sorry that you went through this with this guy who seems very unwell.
Speaker 5: Yeah, to put it lightly.
Speaker 4: To put it lightly, all right, Next email, this is from Oh it's supposed to be anonymous.
Speaker 3: Yep, literally in bold.
Speaker 4: Keep this anonymous, please, so but we can say they're well, I don't even know if we should say where they're from now.
Speaker 3: Dang, they're from America.
Speaker 5: Which we do need to clarify because we're international.
Speaker 4: Yes, we do have listeners in Canada and.
Speaker 3: It was so from Africa somewhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, oh Nigeria, Nigeria, I think, yeah, Nigeria.
Speaker 5: I feel like we had an Australian.
Speaker 3: I'm sure we did.
Speaker 5: I love somebody vacationing in Australia.
Speaker 4: We need to pull up that map again that gives us the percentages of like who's listening where, so just know this person's in America.
Speaker 3: Hey, Amy and Kat.
Speaker 4: I'm processing some big feelings regarding my parents and reaching out to get some advice on this situation. I'm thirty five years old, happily married to children. My parents are in their mid sixties, and I believe they both have a gambling addiction. First, I love my parents dearly. They own a business and they are very blessed financially. And while I do not know the details of their gambling wins and losses, I definitely only hear about the winds and perks of being their elite status of the casino lol. But I do have serious concerns of how gambling affects their mentical and physical health, along with fears of what this hobby slash addiction could be doing to them financially. My parents are the most excited and happiest when they are at the casino or talking about their recent trip to the casino. Outside of those times, they are fairly negative people. Gambling brings them the most joy in life. I have my two children their only grandchildren, and they enjoy spending time with them that they rarely come to visit or ask about their grandchildren unless I reach out for context. I live two hours from them, and the casino is an hour forty five from them the other direction. It makes me incredibly sad that my parents will randomly drive to the casino on a weeknight or spend every other week in there, when I've mentioned that their grandchildren would like to see them and would appreciate help occasionally during the week if their schedule would allow. Am I being too critical of the thing that brings them the most joy? How can I address this with them? How do you truly know that a gambling hobby might just that it's just a hobby, or it could actually be an addiction. Thank you for any and all advice. Have the day you need to have your friend Anonymous from America.
Speaker 1: Which I had that thought because you clarified it is I wonder if there have to be casinos in other countries, right, yeah, okay, I just had that thought. You know how some states it's illegal. In some states it's legal that, Like, I didn't know if other countries. I'm sure some countries are around want.
Speaker 5: To do it at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So clearly that's not the country that this person would be emily from.
Speaker 5: Okay, I have some thoughts. Do you have some thoughts? Can I just jump in.
Speaker 3: Jump in therapists?
Speaker 1: So there's some main questions you want to us to address, And one of them was, am I being too critical?
Speaker 5: Thing that brings them the most joy? I don't hear.
Speaker 1: I love the introspection of am I being too hard on them? I don't hear you being critical. I hear a lot of sadness and fear, which to me isn't being a critic. It's just having emotions towards what you're seeing. So we can't diagnose somebody. I was gonna say, we can't diagnose somebody having an addiction without you know, having them kind of be part of the process. However, that's not true because we can see behaviors, but you're not seeing all of your parents' behaviors exactly, So we can't.
Speaker 5: And yeah, we're definitely not.
Speaker 1: So I think you're not going to be able to see if this is truly an addiction for them because you don't have you're not privy to all of the information. I think gambling addictions can be more insidious because you can hide to an extent some of the repercussions versus if you're.
Speaker 5: An alcoholic or you're a drug addict or something like that.
Speaker 1: You're oftentimes you're out in public and those things are being shown more often and the consequences can be seen to other people.
Speaker 4: Bloodshot eyes, slurring words right, like, without access to their bank account and seeing yeah, and however time they're actually sending there.
Speaker 3: But I guess true, it doesn't matter if they're in debt. It can still be an addiction.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what I was going to say. They could be doing really great and they're still addicted to it.
Speaker 1: So what I would encourage you to do is not so much focus on are my parents' gambling addicts? Because that is going You're not going to really be able to figure that out. And I don't know if that's the most important thing in this moment. It's that you have a lot of feelings about what their hobby feels like.
Speaker 5: It's taking from you and your family.
Speaker 1: And so could you have a conversation with them about literally what you said in this email.
Speaker 5: I think it was really well written.
Speaker 1: It makes me incredibly sad that my parents will drive to this casino on a weeknight and spend every other weekend there when I've mentioned that their grandchildren and daughter.
Speaker 5: Would like to see them.
Speaker 1: What would happen if you said that to them, Like, I feel really sad because I see you doing all this and you talk about going to the casino, and I'm so happy that you found you have this hobby that brings you joy, and I feel hurt when you choose that over us. And so is there a way to spend more time together or is there something going on that I don't know about? And then what you do after that is out of your control, Like what happens after that is after out of your control. But I would highly highly recommend sharing those feelings, not the accusatory ones, which I don't. I think again, this was very well written. I don't hear her being like my parents are terrible and they're this and they're running in their life. This is genuine concern and genuine feelings that I would be. I think it's fair to share with them.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think it's just where the intentional dialogue script could come into play. So I don't know if you've heard us mentioned that script in the past, but.
Speaker 3: It's a fill in the blank. So you say when you.
Speaker 5: So I'll do it, say when blank? Okay, okay, because you want to try to not use well, that's.
Speaker 3: In our script, that right it is?
Speaker 5: Did you take that when I wrote that? Okay, Well, let's edit that.
Speaker 1: I would just because when you if you start it, especially.
Speaker 4: Say you you language, because then people get on the defense.
Speaker 5: So I agree with that, but that's been sometimes you can't avoid it.
Speaker 3: So okay, when.
Speaker 4: You feel it out, okay, when you could fill in what she could kind of say, like I'll say that.
Speaker 3: You could give her a script.
Speaker 5: Oh so you want me to fill it in.
Speaker 4: I'll say you fill it in. I'm going to say the first part and then you fill it in. Okay, So be like a little activity.
Speaker 3: Okay, when.
Speaker 1: I request that you spend more time with us, and it doesn't happen because.
Speaker 5: You're at the casino. From what I can see, I feel hurt and sad.
Speaker 4: The story I tell myself is it's the casino is more important to you and you have you get more joy from gambling than you do from.
Speaker 5: Our family, And what I need is more time with you. And it doesn't have to be that if exactly that that was just.
Speaker 3: Like an example.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love a good script, though if I or her, i'd be like writing that dog, I'd be like, okay.
Speaker 1: But I would pick the stuff that feels the most big, authentic. And also my other feedback for using that script is keep it as short as possible because as soon as you start, even though this is a very non threatening script, as soon as somebody feels that confrontation and this is a form of confrontation, they automatically will start getting defensive, and so you want to make it as short as possible so they can stay in it with you versus you know, when we start feeling somebody is like coming at us, we're already thinking about how we want to respond. So at the end of this too, if you're having trouble hearing each other. And this is for this listener, this is for anybody. I like when people then repeat it back. What I heard you say is this, And then they'll repeat what you said and they'll say did I get it right? And maybe they got it right and you're like yes, okay, and they'll say is there anything else? And you can say no, or did I get it right? No, I didn't say that, because they might say, what I heard you say is you think that I'm an addict and you want me to go to rehab. It's like, well, I didn't say that at all, but that might be what they heard because they immediately felt a little defensive.
Speaker 5: So the repeating is really helpful.
Speaker 3: Very it's a good one.
Speaker 4: What if the grandparents are like, we lived life like we raised our children, we did we worked for however long now we're retired and living our best life, like going the casino, and it's great.
Speaker 5: You're saying, what if that was their response?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think that would not be addressing the sadness of I want to see you more. And that's why I think it's helpful to not focus on their actions. Well they're perceived addiction versus how this affects our family, how is this affecting me?
Speaker 5: Versus you? You you you you.
Speaker 3: Because then they could assess like, oh, okay, wow, we've been waiting our whole lives to just gamble and have fun together, and wow, we didn't realize with that we've been neglecting our daughter and grandchildren. So then they can assess how to prioritize their time.
Speaker 1: And the hope is that they're like, oh my gosh, we didn't realize that that was so important to you.
Speaker 5: That's the hope.
Speaker 1: But if they don't respond, well, that's where you have to sit with some of those uncomfortable feelings and we can't control people, which sucks.
Speaker 5: Sure does.
Speaker 3: Okay, we have a voicemail. This is I don't think it's anonymous, no, because.
Speaker 4: She's just encouraging us to skydive, because she's got like seven hundred jumps under her belt, which I've forgotten. We talked about skydiving the other day, which is why she even called in with this message of encouragement for us. She's Maria and Plano, Texas, by the way, But I have a cousin who's an avid skydiver, has hundreds and hundreds of jumps, and I was thinking I could call him and we could go.
Speaker 5: We aren't doing anything did you see.
Speaker 4: The dad that was para gliding with his child, And some people were calling it child abuse because the child's like five, and it's like can a kid decide if they want to go? But the kid was having a blast, Like the kid was.
Speaker 5: The beach.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's paras sailing, Okay, it's more think of like if you were to go skydiving. You're jumping out and when you're once, you pull the parachute and you're floating. It's sort of paragliding is like you've got this big shoot, but you may jump off of a bridge, you may jump off somewhere, and then you're gliding like I don't I don't think you're you exit from a plane.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but it looks sort of similar.
Speaker 4: But I'm just saying it was a viral clip, so I was going to ask you about it because he'd obviously been taking her since before she was five. But she was really sweet in the video, and she was even holding and like trying to steer a little bit and she's like, okay, I'm tied or whatever. But people were very divided on if that was a cute father daughter moment or if that is child abuse?
Speaker 5: What do you think.
Speaker 4: I thought it was fine because he's not gonna put his daughter in harm's way. But I guess that activity in itself is dangerous. Yeah, but he's clearly a professional. So it's like to me, I thought it was a precious moment. I would not scream child abuse. But Eddie and Lunchbox on the Bobby Bone Show, they both said child abuse.
Speaker 1: I don't know that it is necessarily child abuse, but it does ring alarm for me, Like I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that, but I also wouldn't feel comfortable pair gliding.
Speaker 5: Now the child was skydiving. To me, that feels different.
Speaker 3: Those feel the same to me, Like.
Speaker 5: If you see the video, I guess I don't really understand what pearagliding is.
Speaker 3: Well, just imagine you're falling from the sky in a parachute.
Speaker 5: But you're can we look at the law on this, because I would.
Speaker 1: If it was child abuse, I would be like, that makes sense, But if it wasn't, I also would be like, Okay, I can see why that also makes sense, but I don't like it.
Speaker 5: Okay, I do not like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't want my adult child to do this, So I'm definitely not taking my five year old.
Speaker 3: To do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I guess if it's something that you love doing, like the voicemail abrout to play, she's got seven hundred jumps, Like if she has a baby and she feels safe doing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wonder what the law is.
Speaker 5: You cannot take a baby sky diving. There's no way. Yeah, that feels like a liability. Uh huh.
Speaker 4: When I did it, that was the scariest part for me was right when I jumped. Sorry, how my computer volume up? Because we're gonna play the voicemail. But the when I jumped, the scariest part for me was up at the top where it's really cold and you're kind of grasping for air a little bit. But then once you pull the shoot, it's like, oh and it's really everything relaxes and you like see the city and everything around you, and.
Speaker 3: It's like it's really cool.
Speaker 5: You wouldn't do it again.
Speaker 4: No, I don't want to do it again exactly, But Mariah here would like to convince us, So let's go ahead and play her voicemail.
Speaker 6: Hi. This is Mariah in Plano, Texas. I am forty years old and I'm feeling a little bit bummed that Kat doesn't want to go skydiving, and Amy they you wouldn't do it again. I am a skydiver.
Speaker 7: I have almost seven hundred jumps. My husband has almost eleven hundred jumps. And we have jumped in Egypt, France. We're going to Iceland in about two weeks to skydive during the eclipse. We've jumped in Bali. We actually wing suit and it's just it's so fun and just as experience, and it's like there's a lot of safety protocols in place, and it's not in I mean, yeah, it's dangerous to some extent, but as Amy said, like you get in a car every day and that's incredibly dangerous. But I think it's something that everybody should try, at least once you get a whole different perspective of life and the world.
Speaker 5: And it's just, I.
Speaker 7: Don't know, it kind of bumms me out that you wouldn't give it at least a consideration.
Speaker 5: So I don't know.
Speaker 7: I just thought i'd call and share my feelings on that. Anyways, love you guys, and have the day you need to have.
Speaker 4: She's genuinely really sad that this is like her passion and the fact that you don't even want to.
Speaker 3: Try it or that I don't want to do it again.
Speaker 4: He's so that's good. She expressed her feelings on it, which we appreciate. That's what this podcast is all about. It is about feelings. And I think that is so cool that she's jumped all those different places. After she said how many jumps her husband has, I'm like, she's from Texas. I'm like, I wonder if she's married to my cousin that like, but that would be funny. But I feel like he has a ton of jumps like that. This is a cousin on my dad's side where my dad was the youngest of seven kids, and then I was his youngest. My dad had me when he was really old, so all of my cousins on his side are way older than me.
Speaker 5: What is really old to you? How old was your dad?
Speaker 3: I mean my dad? Okay, well, I say really old when he had me, but he was late forties. Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Thought you were going to say, like, no, thirty eight, and I'm like, no, he had.
Speaker 3: Me on his third marriage.
Speaker 5: Why don't know how fast his divorces came about? Well, Okay, that's the.
Speaker 4: Older Yeah, and then I'm the last of his four kids, and then he was the last. I'm just saying all of his siblings that had kids, So I don't really know my cousins. That's well, that's why I don't on his side. So that's why I don't know his wife, Like they're from Texas and he jumps a lot, or maybe she maybe knows him. But first of all, Mariah, Mariah, thank you for sharing your experience. I love that and your husband have found something that I'll enjoy doing together and that you are traveling the world doing it and they're about to go.
Speaker 3: Would she say she's going to do it during the eclipse.
Speaker 5: Eclipse that's gonna be rightand.
Speaker 3: Iceland that's gonna be so sick.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I'll go to Iceland and not skydive.
Speaker 4: Well, what's crazy is when you have your baby, you're gonna put it in a car, but.
Speaker 5: You won't like child abuse her.
Speaker 3: You're gonna put that baby on the highway.
Speaker 1: In a really safe car seat. Again, I will say that I said this last time. Don't give me those dies kidding. I feel skydiving would be an elective activity I have to get in a car to function in my everyday life.
Speaker 5: That's what the difference is.
Speaker 1: I do recognize that I'm more likely to get hurt in a car wreck than if I go skydiving once. But the difference is I have to do one the other. I'm just choosing to be a little you know, crazy, and I'm not somebody which I'm okay that other people are not this way. Actually, you know what I really do? What is it called when I admire?
Speaker 3: What is it called when you look up to someone know what they're doing and you think it's cool.
Speaker 1: I admire when other people can have more risk taking in their lives. I am risk averse when it comes to safety, and I have a little bit of that.
Speaker 3: Like when I ride a jet ski.
Speaker 5: Oh, I got like so slow.
Speaker 4: If like I'm riding a jet ski with someone and they try to like take off and like return, like I'm like freaking out and I'm like, get me off of this.
Speaker 3: So if I'm the one driving, I'm.
Speaker 4: Like like going down the lake like barely with my my hair is not even flowing because I like don't want to drive the jet ski fast water water sports freak me out.
Speaker 5: Well, so little behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: My husband is here helping us with video, and he also does not like jet skis. It's hard, he said, Not because.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he says they're they're hard to drive.
Speaker 5: He said, not because I think the dangerous because they're hard to drive. But we The last time I was on a jet ski was with him. It was probably three years ago. We went out for maybe five minutes and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, take me back, we're gonna capsize.
Speaker 5: I haven't been on one set.
Speaker 3: Yeah, i'd say, I'm not.
Speaker 5: Really, that's the risk you see.
Speaker 3: I know your risk verse which risk averse, risk averse, that's me.
Speaker 5: That's me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, start labeling myself as.
Speaker 5: That which I yeah.
Speaker 1: Again, I admire that other people are not that way. This is I feel okay with it.
Speaker 4: But thank you for calling and sharing your experience because I know that somebody listening is motivated and will.
Speaker 5: Go skydive and don't let me keep it from doing.
Speaker 4: That's why I'm glad that I've checked that box. I don't know what got into me and made me actually do it. I know that it was my thirtieth birthday lunchbox went to and a friend.
Speaker 3: I just I guess I just decided I was going to do it, and I did it, and now I'm good with that.
Speaker 4: I don't have any other thing like wild adventure things on my life except for I do want to go to that hotel in Kenya where the giraffes come up to the window and you can feed them breakfast.
Speaker 5: I don't think that is risky.
Speaker 3: That's an adventure though, Oh yeah, yeah, that's can be adventurous. Yeah I don't.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying, like I don't have because I was going to say I don't have anything adventuress on my list, but that's when I corrected myself, because that's adventures I want to go. But then I'm like, well, I've already gone to Kenya before and I've gone on a safari, so on one of my travel trips, would I waste going back to Kenya again.
Speaker 5: You can't go to Kenya until you go to Paris, I know.
Speaker 4: So you can tell my adventuress in Paris if you know where I might go on my next vacation is to see I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think I have enough time for that.
Speaker 4: Okay, for booking it, I get it, but I can still plan that but my cousin moved to Ecuador, so I might go see her in Ecuador.
Speaker 5: That would be fun, you could. I'm sure she'll do something adventurous with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I know that we'll go hike.
Speaker 5: And I've seen a ziplining. That's crazy.
Speaker 3: Oh, my sister had a little zipline in her backyard.
Speaker 5: I think ziplining. No, I didn't.
Speaker 4: I didn't do like you're probably talking in, like like a jungle zipline.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I haven't done that. That's scary.
Speaker 1: I went diplining at an adventure place in Dixon, Tennessee.
Speaker 3: Yeah I did. I jumped on my sister's trampoline a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 5: Okay, at our age is kind of adventuress.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 4: I was thinking about how I haven't need to go to the capactor after ended up having to get knee surgery. A mom friend of mine, she also adopted from Haiti. She was jumping on a trampoline once. Her husband is really well known, so the story is kind of funny. She's like, I was like, what happened to your knee? And she's like, I was jumping on a trampoline with Lady Gaga and I popped my knee and was like what what? So then yeah, they had to go to the hospital. It was a whole thing. She was like out on the trampline like three seconds later. I was down for the count and I was like, oh what just like funny some people's lives, like what happened to your knee?
Speaker 5: Well me and Lady g.
Speaker 3: I was like, what are you doing with?
Speaker 5: Lady Gaga was just hanging out.
Speaker 4: I have no idea, I don't I think maybe wherever her favorite friends have friends that were somewhere and they had trampoline and somehow she ended up on the trampling with Lady Gaga.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, Well.
Speaker 5: Just so you know, we are kind of crazy. We do stuff like that. Wild you want a skydive, we support you. Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Thank you for your emails and your voicemails. We always love them.
Speaker 4: You can email us hey, they're at Feeling Things podcasts dot com. No matter how serious, big, we can keep you anonymous. We can give every detail like whatever you.
Speaker 3: Will allow, we will try to honor and respect whatever you would like for us to put out there. And you can also call us eight seven seven two O seven two O seven seven. Most importantly, we hope, wherever you are, you have the day you need to have. Bye Bye,