Speaker 1: Warning.
Speaker 2: Today's episode contained spoilers for Marvel's The Eternals and The Defenders in the extended Marvel Universe in general, so be warned. Hello, my name is Jason Concepcion and on Wedsday Night, and welcome back DA's ravision of the podcast where we dived Beady Ramite shows, movies, comics and pop culture. Coming from My Heart podcast, where we're bringing you three episodes a week every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, with the mini episode on Saturday, so it's technically four. Yeah, good broth, proud of us.
Speaker 3: Today, we are debuting a new game show, Your Wrong Friend, in which we hold up our sacred opinions to attack and debate to decide what culture things someone is wrong.
Speaker 1: About and to help us out.
Speaker 3: Let's introduce you to our judges panel, who you may be familiar with.
Speaker 1: Hi Andelnik and I'm Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: The crowd goes wild. Wow, it's so good to see you. So good to see you, I beeve we never get to see you. I'm so happy on the show.
Speaker 4: I just would like to start by saying flattery will not help you win this debate. We are on fas only.
Speaker 2: So Joel, your glasses is a really cool to Oh my god, extra high.
Speaker 1: Yeah, disagree. Flattery will get you very far with me.
Speaker 4: Let's lay out the rules in today's episode, which slightly maligned Marvel team up property is more deserving of a rewatch the Defenders or the Eternals. Jason is going to stand in for the Defenders, while Rosie will be attempting to connect with a Uni mind she are, thank.
Speaker 5: You for the Eternals. This is your wrong friend.
Speaker 1: All right, Rosie, I got four minutes on the clock for you. I will start when you begin speaking.
Speaker 3: From the very first time that I saw the Eternal's movie picture and I saw it at Century City Westfield, And from the very first moment I saw it, I knew.
Speaker 1: It was a masterpiece.
Speaker 3: I thought it was a hard sci fi romp through space, the kind of thing we had never gotten in the Marvel universe before. It was our first real experience of the Marvel cosmic. Also, Chloe Joo shot on location in beautiful, gorgeous spaces that evoked the feel of, as Harry Styles would have said at the Venice Film Festival, a real movie. This is the reason I like this movie feels like a real movie, feels like there are wild, beautiful places to go, exploration of the cosmic history of the Marvel universe, and a fantastic cast Jemma Chan, Richard Madden, Kamail Nan, Jarlie, Liam mceugh, Brian Tyree, Henry my favorite, Lauren Ridloff, and Barry Kyogan. That's my ship. I'm a big shipper of those two. And I just generally think this movie is a total underrated gem, especially because this is really the first Jack Kirby adaptation that we've gotten that is as strange and esoteric and weird as Jack's work himself, so that to me is huge. Also, I'm just gonna say Westfield Century City screening of this movie was the first place that me and Jason ever met person after recording the podcast together. Very auspicious movie for me, and I think that while there are, you know, fair critics who of the idea of the pacing in this movie, it's a little bit slow. It's very all consuming. You kind of have to buy into the world. I think that, especially in twenty twenty five, if you are sick of the volume, if you are sick of seeing your favorite characters seged on top of other favorite characters. The Eternals is a gorgeously cinematographyed by Ben Davis, great cinematographer there doing like unbelievable work to create a really beautiful, practical physical space. Also, it has a very interesting plotline about the realities of if you are a colonizer and what you do and what does it mean to actually be someone who goes to a planet and makes it better or goes to a space and makes it worse.
Speaker 1: I just think it's so good.
Speaker 3: Also, our first and maybe only Mirshaela ali is Blade moment we get in the Vinyl post credits scene in which we also see Dane Whitman played by none other than Kit Harrington from Game of Thrones, one of my favorite characters Black Night.
Speaker 1: So it's not just the movie.
Speaker 3: I also think there's a lot of fun stuff around the movie, like another character will never see Harry Styles as star Fox, but wasn't that fun?
Speaker 2: I thought it was still fun, Like I was fine.
Speaker 3: I thought that was fun, you know, and it was nice to see him. It was nice to see Pip the Troll. And I will continue by saying I think that if you really watch the MCU films, all in order and you get to this movie.
Speaker 2: This is a change in pace.
Speaker 3: It is a delightful, immersive, emotional, hard sci fi that we just don't really get anymore. This is such a fun movie. It's got killer action. Also, resess Speedster that we've seen on screen thanks to Lauren Ridloff in the way that they brought mccary's powers to life. Also our first death superhero in the MCU, which I love. And you know, Brian Tyree Henry as Pastos Kiss is a guy and has a little baby. Also Dundley, legendary Dunley is Gilgamesh. I want to see him in the MCU a million times and that is why I to me the Tunnels is in the top five of my MCU movie all right, extra.
Speaker 4: Strong, strong opening statements from Rosie. A lot of things to consider. They're Jason, your four minutes begins.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: Welcome, ladies and gentlemen of the Judiciary. Senor Senoras de judicial. Let's talk about let's talk about the defenders, and let's get the problems out of the way.
Speaker 5: First.
Speaker 2: Finn Jones's iron fists, White guys, iron fist, we got it. It's a problem. I know, bad guys are the hand. The Ninjas again, reused, once again, reheated, put out there once again as these kind of mindless Asian killers. We get it. It's it's been done. Here's the thing. It's the year twenty twenty five. We're talking about a rewatch. No, we're talking about a rewatch. And here's the hook, babe. The fights are fucking good. They are great, and you get one of them at least per episode. You don't like what the what you're hearing, let me quote Don Draper if you don't like what's being said to you, because the hand is here, because Sigourney Weaver is a kind of nonsense, big bad, because Finn Jones whatever, change the conversation, fast forward to the next fight. That's all you gotta do, babe. And here's the other thing that you don't realize because you haven't rewatched Defenders in a while. This cast has actually great chemistry. The chemistry is actually really good, okay, And there's an actual effective arc of a bunch of street level characters. Finn Jones, Danny Randyron, Mike Colter, the Daddy, Licious, Luke Cage, Charlie Cox. Of course, you're loner, in the streets, Daredevil, Kristin Riddard, Jessica Jones, Colleen Wing, Jessica Henwick, Claire Temple, Rosari Dawson, all these folks. They're not used to working together, and this show does a really really effective job at showing how not comfortable they are Throughout most of these fights. There's some wonderful back and forth about why Charlie Cox Matthew Murdoch aka Daredevil is the only guy in this entire group as they fight ninjas to wear a mask. Everybody else's face listening, show your face, Daredevil, what's the issue? This is a wonderful show on the rewatch and even the stuff that you don't like, Finn Jones, the hand is overpowered by the truly wonderful chemist of these actors and this group. And let me say again, because you know about Daredevil on Netflix, the incredible action scenes that you find there, you know about the Punisher of the brutality on Netflix, the kind of brutal action scenes that you see here The Defenders gives you that. It gives you that, and again, it gives you that once per episode. And it's not just the kind of Daredevil action scenes in which you know these kind of one shot you know, au tour bait shots of Daredevil just by himself taking on five guys. This is a group of heroes and the synergy between them, you see, the kind of like budding cooperation start to happen as they all come to realize what their own powers are. There's a wonderful sequence that stretches from episode four to five in which are heroes on the run from a big fight end up in a Chinese restaurant fighting more guys than a super assassin drops in. That's to start episode five. Now this fight is bridging two episodes, and as the gunmen show up outside and begin riddling the place with bullets, Luke Cage shields them with his body. Is the first time a lot of these characters are seeing this, and that's cool. There are these cool hidden moments that are one wonderful people out to harken to what this show could be if it is rebooted. Thank you for your time.
Speaker 4: Wow, those are some great opening arguments. I'm not sure where I stand just yet. I think we've got a lot to consider from both sides. So let's take a quick break, but don't go anywhere. When we come back, the judges will get to ask each panelist to follow up question, and we'll hear closing statements from Jason and Rosie before final deliberations.
Speaker 5: We'll be right back.
Speaker 4: Wow, we laid some spice out on the table. I am considering some things I hadn't thought about before, the idea of what makes a good team rewatch, the idea of in the large, hours and hours long cannon of Marvel, what is skippable and what should absolutely be reserved for its artistic integrity.
Speaker 5: Oh man, we have a lot of thoughts here. Rosie.
Speaker 4: You had some really beautiful points, but then you mentioned Harry.
Speaker 5: Styles and I snagged. I snagged a bit.
Speaker 4: We're really struggling overall with the cohesion of Marvel at this point, and I don't think this film helped we get so many new characters.
Speaker 5: It's a little bit.
Speaker 4: Using a chaotic What would you say to somebody who is like Rosier get that it's beautiful, But at what I came here for is marvel greatness, which means fight scenes and glossy costumes, and I felt it lacked. Why should I give my time to this film?
Speaker 1: If you're worried about the cohesion.
Speaker 3: While it is true that Marvel does have an issue right now, especially with introducing characters that we probably won't see again, like the version of Hercules from thor Love and Thunder or Harry Styles, what this movie does have is a giant eternal in the ocean called Tiamut. And that giant eternal, we've all been saying, guys, when are they going to bring it up? We're covering sheeholk, We're like, when are they going to bring it up? They bring it up on a you know, internet side easter egg. But Captain America Brave New.
Speaker 1: World is coming out thirty seconds and when.
Speaker 3: That movie comes out, you will need to know about Tiamut because that is where we are going to put your spoilers on. If you don't want to know, discover Adamantium in the MCU, which will be a huge moment for both the X Men, Captain America and the MCU as a whole. So I say that while it may just be one giant eternal in the ocean, that is a connectivity that you must know before going into a Brave New Wow.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Rosie, listen, uh listeners. I just want to let you know that we are recording this before Brave New World. So if Rosie's argument does not stand after that, but it's.
Speaker 5: Not her fault, all right. The trailers led us to believe.
Speaker 4: Okay, So I don't want to hear your slander, all right, So with that in mind, we're taking it over to Jason. Jason had some good thoughts here, all right. He said, forget about the white Ninjas, all right. We acknowledged the Gordy Weafer is a little strange.
Speaker 2: There's the boss, white ninja. The Boss is a white ninja. The rank and file are Asian ninjas as.
Speaker 4: Star Yes, okay, Well, I would like to know, similarly to my question for Rosie, I have many, many, many, many many many hours of Netflix television to watch. I could be watching the greatest season of television, maybe ever, Season one of Jessica Jones. I could be enjoying Hollway fight scenes. Okay, but you said go check out the Defenders. I'd like you to expand a little bit on what makes them a team worth tuning into.
Speaker 2: The fights are great, their powers work great together. You know why is a Reese's peanut butter cup good? It's just chocolate and peanut butter, because chocolate and peanut butter. You put them together, and something else happens. You put these characters together, you've got the kind of will they won't day of Jessica and Luke. You've got the I did. I'm not used to working with other people unless it's in a courtroom with Matthew Murdoch. You've got Jessica Jones, who similarly is a solo piece who's now romantic life is intersecting with this. You've got Finn Jones, who all I will say, iron fist all throughout this this story is being interrogated about why he is iron fist, which, by the way, Marvel, if you want to get to me, I have a good pitch on how you could actually do a white iron fist. I don't think you should an Oh but here's the thing. The fight again, and I can't struss this enough. You mentioned the hallway fight scene of Daredevil. The fights are great. They're great.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're tuning in for fight scenes and epic connections. The will lays, won't theyse? I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: So Aaron, it's time for you to ask some questions.
Speaker 1: So Jason, as you're saying This has incredible fight scenes. This has great chemistry between these characters. One of the things I'm worried about as a rewatch, I don't want to have to rewatch two seasons of Daredevil, two seasons of Jessica Jones, one season of Luke Cage, and one season of Iron Fist just to get to this. Is this team up show accessible if I haven't seen the prerequisite things at all or in a very long time.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, you know that. You know the basics.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing about a rewatch? Why are we Why are we letting ourselves be caged by these rules? Like I have to know all the stuff that happened before. I have to watch forty eight episodes of television to get to this, I have to watch every single second and minute of this season that I am now rewatching. Now, man, just fast forward to the fights. You're good, Well, you know what do you need more than that? We all we we're busy people. The soul is falling apart. You just have a few minutes. You want to get that dopamine hit and feel great. Fast forward to the Defender fights and watch them. They are good period, well choreographed, well executed, brutal, good hits, good stunt work.
Speaker 1: They are I see my.
Speaker 6: Time, my point, all right, Rosie, my question for you.
Speaker 1: Jason pointed out one of the great things about Defenders, the sparkling chemistry between these main characters, watching Matt and Jessica interact with each other, watching Jessica interact with Luke, watching Luke interact with Iron Fist, not to mention Colleen Wing like, there are side characters upon side characters, and the return of fan favorite Elodie Young as Electra, which was barely even brought up in Jason's argument. I don't mean to do his job for him. But my question for the eternals, this movie is big. This movie introduces us to ten main characters, three new characters that, as you mentioned, who knows if they go anywhere? Four I guess if you include Blade's detached voice. Is this movie so big that I have to pay attention the whole time and I can't sort of fade in and out of my rewatch.
Speaker 3: No, in fact, and this is a classic me and Jason, the situation that we've gotten ourselves into here. I agree with Jason about The Defenders. I think he's got the right idea. And I'm gonna tell you something, guys. The Eternals is a great movie. I love it, but it's long. The MCU loves to make a long movie. This movie has lots of characters, but you know what it has within that unbelievable chemistry between certain characters. Now, Gemma Chann and Richard Madden first sex scene in the MCU, are you feeling the chemistry popping off them? Not really, but.
Speaker 1: You know who?
Speaker 3: Fast forward it baby, any scene don Ley and Angelina Jolie together, Oh my god, guild them that you want to be there with them. As I said before, Barry Kewen and Lauren Ridlock, that shit is so spicy and fiery and fun to see, like a death super hair out with how kind of cocky boyfriend. So if we're on a rewatch thing and you just want to see the best moments for a channels, you too, can't.
Speaker 2: Use your foss forwards.
Speaker 1: Amazing Oh Disney plus wow.
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, So Aaron, this is really interesting what I'm hearing is And I don't know if this makes an argument for you, but both of these can be watched as second screen entertainment, which does have its values.
Speaker 5: It listens.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I want to be on my phone and passively watching a TV show. But what I'm listening to the arguments for why you should we watch this? How does this a docs a teal for it is as it's not as important? How do you lookcause you said you said you would prefer your rewatches to be second screen entertainment.
Speaker 1: You know what? I think that because they both argued from the same point. I'm not going to dock either of them for that, because both of them said, this is something where we can selectively see moments of the movie or the show that we really enjoyed, and they both brought up particularly memorable scenes, at least for me, I love the Chinese food restaurant scene and Defenders, I love the meal scene at Theena and Gilgamesh's in eternals with Kingo and his cameraman hanging out there. Both are great scenes. So I will happily accept both of them pitching their rewatched property as something that I will not one hundred percent two eyes be rewatching the entire time. So let's go to our closing statements. Rosie, you introed first, so I think Jason does his closing statement first. So Jason, you have one minute on the clock whenever you're ready.
Speaker 2: As we were recording this, the new Thunderbolt trailer has recently dropped, and in it, Yolena says of this new team, none of us can fly. None of us are heroes. We just kick and punch. The Defenders did it first, and in The Defenders a show that it is admittedly imperfect, the things that work work so well that when you rewatch this show, you will be saying to yourself, I can't wait for them to retry that idea in something else. Street Level is something that Marvel doesn't have a lot of content about right now, but they have a vast history of it in their comics. If they can apply some of the good stuff from Defenders, which is amazing, the fights, the chemistry, et cetera to their new stuff, you're gonna see something wonderful and you receee it. In Defenders first.
Speaker 5: Rosie final statement, I.
Speaker 3: Think I have pretty much exhausted my love for the Eternals throughout the years on this podcast and in this argument, I have highlighted the moments, so I'm gonna say, look, you know what the Etunnals has that none of the other movies have it has that sex scene and Chloe Shao shoots that sex scene where you can see Richard Madden and his hips moving like you can feel the impact of the stroke.
Speaker 1: You're never gonna get that in an.
Speaker 2: MCU movie ever again.
Speaker 1: That shit is crazy. We say that in the cinema and you could see it and.
Speaker 7: We were like, oh my god, this is happening.
Speaker 1: So I'm saying, look, you don't want to watch that titles, that's your loss.
Speaker 2: I love this movie.
Speaker 7: I'm wearing a titles t shot, but you are never gonna get an our house sex scene like that in an MCU movie ever again. And even in the Defenders and Indesica journs, that's a much more dynamic action pack, like fucking this is like I loved you for a thousand years. Feel like.
Speaker 4: Wow, I thought Jason had slam dunked it in his final statement and then here emerges Rosie, which stroke game so good you could feel it.
Speaker 5: I was not the good.
Speaker 1: We're gonna go to ads real quick. We will be right back with our judges deliberation. All right, Joelle, So we've heard the closing arguments, we've heard the answers, to our questions, and we've heard their opening statements. How are you feeling right now? Which of these two things are you most likely to go rewatch this evening?
Speaker 4: I will tell you at the start of this it was gonna be like I was like, well, Defenders is what I would put in. I'm not a fan of the eternals. I see and appreciate what Chloe was trying to do. There are moments that are fun to tune into for me, but overall not about it. But Rosie argued really well, and now I'm like, maybe what did I miss? Which I think is really the calling for a rewatch? Right You're either rewatching something because you love it and you want to re experience it, or because you may have missed something on the first screening and you want to make sure that you fully understand and appreciate the vision that's been laid out for you.
Speaker 5: I'm swaying a little bit. Where are you at, Aaron?
Speaker 1: So I do want to ask you said, Rosie kind of changed your mind? Was that your stance before the talk of Richard Madden having sex or was that solely swayed by that one thirty second bit of the closing statement.
Speaker 4: I will say the reevaluate Disney sexteen was really it's a draw. But honestly it's her love of Gilgamesh that began to sway me, because that's a character you can really love so cute in the movie, you're just like wow, uh. And I think Anchiley Ujulie is probably one of the most compelling elements of this film, and so to reconsider that relationship, I was like, maybe that would be I will also say giant statue in the ocean finally coming out, you know it's hitting. But then oh, but then Jason was like, you know, they're about to redo Defenders with thunderbolts, thank you, And I was like, damn, that's a really good point too, a thing we've been missing street level.
Speaker 5: How about you? Where have you been swayed? Pulled? One way?
Speaker 1: Do you have a So I have not rewatched either of these recently, so I am I am due for a rewatch of both. I think that when I came into this, I was reminding myself what each of these properties was, and I will admit I was nervous about the idea of Eternals is a big, big movie that already exists within a very large universe and attempts to make it even larger within the post credits scene, which has me nervous because a lot of things this is an era right new characters, This is an era of Marvel stories where Marvel wanted to have as many side tie ins as possible that now are not really doing anything coming to Fruition, which is good or bad. But I did like Rosie's argument that it's cool to see Harry Styles walk out in this outfit, whether or not it's ever gonna be anything, and like that's just a fun thing. And I will say in Rosie's favor, Barry Cue again is my favorite part of that movie, I think, and Rosie barely even mentioned him, which is a pretty strong argument. That being said for the Defenders. On Jason's side, Matt and Jessica are my favorite parts of that as well as Electra and Jason talked about how great all of them looks and the fight scenes, and again, there's so many things that I love about the Jessica Jones show and the Daredevil show that really are just amped up, and they're in Defenders. We all talk about how much we love Avengers those movies because it's so fun to see a team up of characters we already know and care about, So we have to make a choice. Yeah, all right, well.
Speaker 4: I think it's a three two one. We just have to speak it from the heart.
Speaker 5: I have to just go.
Speaker 1: Internet. Lag be damned.
Speaker 5: Here we go three two one.
Speaker 1: Scandalous.
Speaker 3: It's a tie, baby, it's a tie.
Speaker 1: But we can't truly have a tie. So we are going to bring in our special guest judge as himself, the Dune Weaver. I don't know what the right term would be. Superior, mother, superior.
Speaker 5: On the side, help us break this tie? Where who? Who should we want to watch? What should we watch?
Speaker 8: I have been listening on the side, and honestly, hats off to both panelists. I think both of you made excellent arguments. I did not watch many of the Defender shows and I did not watch Defenders, and I've only seen Eternals once, and I came into today's arguments kind of leaning Rosie. In fact, I quite blatantly told Rosie before this recording that I love Eternals almost as much as she did. So very clear, however, the basis of both arguments appeared to be second screen watching, and if that's the case Eternals, it's not a movie I want to be watching with my phone or my steam deck or whatever also in front of me. I want to be locked into Eternals to fully appreciate it. So I'm going to go Defenders.
Speaker 7: Wow where where you know what.
Speaker 3: I appreciate not only the chance to once again argue my love for the Eternals, but also the spectacular judging panel we have and of course, as always my co host and.
Speaker 1: We're not of this debate, Jason.
Speaker 2: It feels wonderful. And I'll tell you this, I'm going to go directly from this Internet meeting to my Disney Plus platform where I'm going to watch Richard Matten. Yes, pump that thing, don't watch it. It's so I'm gonna see was that hotter than I remember? Hold on a second, And that's because it was.
Speaker 5: That's the problem.
Speaker 2: I think it's just too intense, like it feels. Really is that intense? Is that the intense penetration of Richard Madden in the Eternals that I'm watching? And did I miss that? The first time I want to watch that cosmic penetration happens. And that's because of the argument that you made today, Rose.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm so honest.
Speaker 3: If that is my legacy in this world and in this fun new segment, then I will be on it. Everybody go watch that we'd seen.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for listening to your wrong friend with X ray vision. I have been Finn Jones's agent Aaron Kaufman, and.
Speaker 3: I have been apparently the promoter of the sex scene in a Tunnels. So please Disney Plus give me that jump you want to talk sex scenes in a Tunnels, I'm here for it. The official etinal sex scene Poke Coast coming soon from my computer.
Speaker 1: Limited run. Not a full series though, yeah yeah, mini series three, episodes three.
Speaker 2: Here's my Here is how Iron Fist could have worked. Danny Rand becomes Iron Fist and central to the story as he merges and becomes aware of all the other iron Fists that have come before him throughout time, his inadequacy to the role, and you make the emotional engine of that show, Danny Rand trying to process the fact that he is a white iron Fist, and then at the end of the series he dies and an Asian iron Fist takes over. Jessica Henwick, Colleen Wing, perfect, Jason, that's it.
Speaker 5: Number one call him. That's it's time.
Speaker 4: I'm stunning. I have Jel Monique, this was amazing. Let us know how you guys felt about your wrong friend. What else should we debate? Send it in, let us know.
Speaker 5: And we'll see you guys next week.
Speaker 2: Bye bye X ray Vision is hosted by Jason steps Young and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Our supervising producer is Abu Zafar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Common Laurent, Dian Jonathan and Fay Wax.
Speaker 2: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator.