Speaker 1: I'm a little duvall and this is Conversations with the Podcast. Today's guest is an ex convict, recently released after serving fourteen years in prison. She's a speaker and master bother ate. Let's welcome Angela Wright, live and direct in your ear checked. She boy a little duval vibe and decent. But I'm gonna start this shit off quick. I'm gonna start us off with somebody I just met. They seeing coolest motherfucker. I said, you know what, I need to hear your story, but I'm gonna record that motherfucker.
Speaker 2: Who we got with us? What's your name? Tell me what's up?
Speaker 3: Uncle Dee? You got Angela c right with you here today? Born and raised in New Jersey. Live in Atlanta, Lakewood, South Jersey, South Jersey. Yeah it look come from a little small town, a two parent home father pastor. Mom was a stay at home mom.
Speaker 1: Well, let me first say what made me say, oh yeah, I'm talk to her? She said, Nigga, I just did fair time, I did such and such. I was down there with your people's in flood. And then I say, oh shit, the fuck the.
Speaker 2: Fuck you do? Fit?
Speaker 1: Damn for wait, don't even tell me, come tell me on the goddamn Mike. So before you tell us that, let's give a quick backstory and then speed us up to where you got to the Dope Game?
Speaker 2: Was it the dope game? Yes? It was the game.
Speaker 3: No, it was the dope game.
Speaker 2: I wish it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Fri, you would have got that much time. But it don't last as long as But go ahead.
Speaker 3: But like I said, I was born and raised in New Jersey, come from a two parent home. Went to college here in Atlanta. I went to Clark Atlanta University, and once I graduated school, I never cared. I just never went back home. I stayed here in Atlanta, and that's how I ended up, you know, being here whatever I talked, Ye that I graduated in two thousand and two, Okay, Yeah, were around the same age.
Speaker 2: I'm older. I was here in ninety six when Olympics came.
Speaker 3: No, I came to school in ninety seven. But I graduated in two thousand and two. Oh yeah, I came in ninety seven.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you've been around in a long time, around this way a bunch of times, of course, cause I've been around. Yeah, finished telling Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, like I said, I taught school. I was a school teacher. I taught over at Gideon's Elementary that's on the that's where Mechanic Bill is over like on that side of town. Taught third grade or whatever. And I taught school maybe about two years til I jumped, like just said I wasn't teaching no more, and just jumped head first in the streets. You know, I started out in college.
Speaker 2: Woy because you aren't making enough money in school teaching.
Speaker 3: It wasn't that one day me and the principal end up exchanging words. You know, I was young. You gotta think back then, back in two thousand and two, it wasn't a lot of young school teachers. It was still like the older school teachers stern. You know, the LNG dressing here, it is that it's changing. I'm young, I'm then when she was changed, Yeah, I'm wearing my pants fitted. I'm not wearing I don't have to wear no long dress like I'm a nun. I'm not doing that. And then she we would exchange words about that, and then she was worried about like the cars that came up of the school on my lunch break, to getting just worried about the wrong thing, and I ended up going off on the one day and in my head, I was like, man, I don't even have to take this. I make this in three days what I'm making.
Speaker 2: So you already knew you could do that before you.
Speaker 3: Jo, I was already. I was teaching school and in the game. I started out counting money for these dudes. They used to pay me like five thousand dollars a week to count money, package it up. And you know, when you package money, you gotta count every denomination, run it through the machine.
Speaker 1: All right before you before you make sure everything because I don't want to get you in trouble.
Speaker 3: Oh this case is oh gone, okay, we all.
Speaker 1: Want to I just want to make sure. I don't like to set people up there. Yeah, people talk, don't even really, I'm not lad. I'm not wanting nah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I won't let you put me in the trick bag anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But that's how I started out it. You know, just got greedy seeing all that money go through my hands, and I'm like, oh, I can broke with these cocaine. He got it he needed. And that's how it started. And before you know that, I had cousins down in Panama City, Florida. So they started getting they work from up here from me.
Speaker 2: And then from Atlanta, Panama. They were from Atlanta, Panama City.
Speaker 3: You got to think about it. Panama City is right there at the top of Alabama. It's not down there in Miami. It's at the top. So it's only four hours away from Atlanta.
Speaker 2: It's quicker to get it.
Speaker 3: It's quicker to get it. Yeah, it's quicker to get it. That whole panhandle right there, and then Dothan, Alabama.
Speaker 2: Get y'all was pumping Florida on the low.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Parry, Florida, Yup, yup, Tallahassee that whole panhandle right there. Yeah, So I got in trouble. My case was over the pair hand.
Speaker 2: How you got caught up? How you got caught?
Speaker 3: How you think everybody told?
Speaker 2: I know told, But like, what was the Did you see it coming?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I seen it coming. I can't even lie. I'm a very very spiritual person, and I always believed like warning comes before destructions.
Speaker 1: We let me ask you if it's not to cut you off, but I did. How many years was you was it running? How many years was you.
Speaker 3: Had like a seven year run?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: Yep, I had a seven year run.
Speaker 2: That ain't bad.
Speaker 3: No, it wasn't bad.
Speaker 2: Live good.
Speaker 3: You know. I had a seven year run. It wasn't worth it in the end because I got sentenced to thirty years do ball?
Speaker 2: Wait wait wait wait wait wait, don't go there yet. Oh man, don't shit.
Speaker 3: Shit. Yeah. So okay, so not the not the you know, get that part or whatever that spoiler.
Speaker 1: But you know you said how much the most you made? Like in one lick and one one one.
Speaker 3: I tell you this one dude from.
Speaker 2: What was you doing? Was you the mule or was you like.
Speaker 3: Never m do?
Speaker 2: I look like? Check the fuck you.
Speaker 1: Me and the mule?
Speaker 2: Play with me? Go ahead?
Speaker 3: No, So I can tell you this. This one dude from Tallahassee. He used to come to Atlanta, UH three times a week and get eleven kilos. Every like every three days he came and got eleven kilos. So if I was getting them for seventeen to five at the time and I'm selling them to twenty four, that goes to show.
Speaker 1: You this because and I always wanted this, especially at landa niggas, How did y'all figure out who who did trust was serving? Because especially Florida niggas. I'm from Florida and not know how slammy Florida niggas. So that's why I always wondered, like, how did y'all even trust.
Speaker 3: I met him through somebody else? But this was my sign that I knew I shouldn't have. I should have just stopped dealing with him.
Speaker 2: Is that the one that fucked you over?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Florida niggas? Yeah he won? Yeah yeah, the Florida. All the Florida dudes was in court. Marianna, Florida didn't even know me. Okay, okay, okay. Yeah. So but like I said, I'm a spiritual person. So one night I was driving and I was looking up in the rear view mirror and I was putting some lip gloss on, and the spirit said to me, you're going to jail. And I said, yeah, it ain't funny, You're going to jail. Yeah, And guess what I didn't. Uh. I tried to shake it off, but it was already it was already set. And I could tell you like a year before that, my father, he had came down to visit me, and he stayed when it was like the tend Jake's thing at the TD Jake's thing, and he told me, he said, Ray Charls could see something that's going on. I was like, oh, Daddy, you always preaching. I don't want to hear it. I don't want to hear it. And uh he called me one morning he said, God said you're too high mighty. He got to bring you down. I was like, Daddy, is too early in the morning. I don't get on my phone with that. But guess what, those were my warnings. Those were my warnings.
Speaker 2: So but you raised in the good family, how was you raised? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Two pairn home. I told you my father was a pastor. I'm the least like person that ever I was an a b student.
Speaker 2: Was the chase of the money.
Speaker 3: You know what it was. It was being spoiled as a child, being spoiled as a child. Not only this people people, you know, people get mad when I say this. But being a pastor child, you watch how much power your father has. You see how people flock to him. So that's how I chose my men. You get what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Powerful.
Speaker 3: I like powerful men. I don't like no weak sucker behind. I like powerful men. And then and then to see the power that how people was drawing to my father and stuff naturally growing up, that's how it was, because then it's handed down to the kids. Everybody cater to the pastor kids. And then I looked just like I had at the well back then I grew up, it was three of us, but my dad's remarried, so now it's it's six of us all together.
Speaker 2: And where was you at?
Speaker 3: I was a middle baby. They call the knee.
Speaker 1: Baby, the one that I always felt. They say, babies always feel left out.
Speaker 3: Can't be not with a mouth like mine, Capricorn New Year's Day, everything start with me.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, your jury to the mailbox. I'm fucking with.
Speaker 3: Ship. I did not wear my.
Speaker 2: So what happened? What did it? What did it come down?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: When did when did the drug? The bus come?
Speaker 3: Two thousand and five started in two thousand and five A driver got a conspiracy.
Speaker 2: They just came and set.
Speaker 3: You up conspiracy. I got indicted by myself. They came back and gave me a superseding indictment and gave me the due that I was going with at the time. They made him my co defended. And what I did not know is he was talking. My boyfriend told.
Speaker 1: On me, nigga, I just saw that on the trip. I was just watching that. The nigga, the bitch. Nigga told on lady Yea.
Speaker 3: I always tell people like I go to schools now and speak to.
Speaker 2: Kids, You like, how the fuck this nigga?
Speaker 3: Because he had already he had got he got caught, he had got busted. I wasn't even around. I was in. It was All Star weekend two thousand and seven. I was in Vegas at the All Star Game. He got caught. Somebody like set him up. He had already been in trouble before. So you know, the fans worked by a point system, so he was automatically facing a mandatory minimum of twenty years. And I guess he felt like, man, I can't do it. Yeah, get it, get it down. And they told him like, we want her, we know we just can't get to it. We know who she is. Give you give us us, We give you ten years. He gave them me.
Speaker 2: Of course, Yeah, did you forgive him?
Speaker 3: So you know you have to in order for God to forgive you, you know, you have to.
Speaker 2: Figure how long for you to get over it.
Speaker 3: It took me about I ain't gonna lie about a good ten years in prison. I was, you know, I was bitter behind it. But and the crazy thing is, about three months ago one of my homeboys face timedy, he like, and somebody wanted to talk to you, and guess who it was. I went crazy because I can forgive somebody, but I don't have to deal with you. And what audacity do you have to even want to say anything to me? Took me away from my son. My son was My son was ten when I left. If I came home, he was twenty five. I'm got nothing to say to you.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 1: So you did fifteen? I did fourteen year fourteen off of twenty three, no.
Speaker 3: Off of thirty?
Speaker 2: What did you?
Speaker 1: What did you when you were when you got locked up? What did you think you was looking? Because I know you say, all right, I know I'm going to jail.
Speaker 3: I was thinking I get ten years because with the fads, it's the mandatory minimums. So I was thinking, I get.
Speaker 2: To why they fucked you up while they said fuck you and get your thirds.
Speaker 3: The amount of drugs and I wouldn't cooperate the amount of drugs and I.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't I got what made you stand tall?
Speaker 3: What make you not stand tall?
Speaker 2: Type shit?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was raised that even as a child, you don't tell on your sisters and brothers, and you definitely don't point the finger at somebody else because you got caught. You don't do that. And yes, my mother, cause you can.
Speaker 1: I mean a lot of people talk that, but when they get they fold under pressure.
Speaker 3: And you know what I tell people, I can see how people talk because it is intimidating when you sitting at a table and it's nothing but a bunch of agents around.
Speaker 2: That's how I feel like.
Speaker 1: I don't fault nobody from being like, if you square, I expect you to square ship. Did you see the square? Did you see the lame in them? Or did you this was some surprising to you from that?
Speaker 2: Nigga?
Speaker 3: I feel like, I honestly feel like like women are harder men when it come to it. They men just cannot do time.
Speaker 1: I believe, not just that, I believe women are more loyal. Yeah women that died about that loyalty. Yeah, you know what I'm saying. Men are just loyal as far as you feed them. Yeah, women they're starve.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The people gave me thirty years through all as a first time non violince offender.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you that, when when that motherfucker said thirty, say wait, how many months?
Speaker 3: They tell you how many hundred sixty four months?
Speaker 2: When you heard that, how did your man skills go with twelve divided?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Exactly, exactly, That's exactly what I did. In my head. I was like, twelve twelve going to thirty six automatically twelve, that's three, that's three, that's automatically thirty, get the four. You know, all the salavagis left my mind. I was just numb.
Speaker 1: I turned around. How long you were drunk? Like you know, when you go to jail, you drunk for how many was it years?
Speaker 2: Weeks? How long was you drunk?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: Days? Couldn't get up? I lay did three like my mom and them was calling to jail, making sure like she hasn't called home, like what's going on? I couldn't get up. I'm like thirty years. I was thirty years old at the time. You know in fas you do eighty five percent, So I thirty it was automatic twenty six years. Then after like that third day, I got up, had to dust myself off, and I just was like okay, all right, my nickname is Shaye. I was like, Shay, you got yourself in this, you have to find a way to get yourself out of it. And I just had to believe, like how.
Speaker 2: Long did that really come to?
Speaker 1: Where you when you programmed your mind to say I gotta I gotta eat this time that third day?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I need only three days? What was saying? I told myself I had to fight.
Speaker 1: I thought you're gonna say, like a year, like no drunk for I know niggas been drunk for six months to a year.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, Like, damn, I really ain't going nowhere.
Speaker 1: They took my other HOMEBOYD told me it took for his birthday to come back around for him to realize, shit, I got twelve more of these motherfuckers in here.
Speaker 3: No, I never would give into it. I just used to tell myself like something gonna happen, something going break, And I just tried to learn everything I could about my situation, Like you know, I had to paid attorney, told my mom take him seventy five thousand dollars in a brown paper, bad cash, and I still had thirty years. Then we turned around and paid a pill lawyer another twenty five thousand. I lost my director.
Speaker 2: Pell you thank your lawyer fucked you over.
Speaker 3: I can't necessarily say that he messed me over. It just wasn't meant. It just wasn't meant. That wasn't the way that God seemed fit. And looking back on it, I always say, if God had allowed me to get five years and be home in three, I would have came back home selling the drugs. I would have been, Yeah, I would have been or scared. I would have came back home doing something.
Speaker 1: Because if they do ten years or better, you can't get them doing nothing illegal. No more like all my homeboys, like they do four five years, they right back in the streets.
Speaker 2: Ten years.
Speaker 1: I couldn't get that nigga across that Georgia Florida line. Georgia Florida line. But I guess after a while, you you think so you so you think by the so he said, if you were there four years, you probably would have been back out there. Of course, So that means so that means it took some time for you to say, to learn like, all right, I fucked up.
Speaker 3: It took time for me to even accept responsibility. Because for a long time, I would say, if they hadn't told on me, they wouldn't have had me.
Speaker 1: I was take pointing somebody, did somebody in there help you get to that mindset?
Speaker 3: No, you have to get that on you. I had to get there on my own. Prison is prison is a horrible environment. And you know, like a lot of people, society believes that prison rehabilitates people. Rehabilitation does not take place in prison here, point blank. In order for you to change your mindset, that has to be up to the individual. You have to do it yourself. And like I said, you know, I wasn't I'm not slow at all, you know, to stretch imagination. Came out of college with a three eight. I'm a smart girl, and God gifted me with common sense, book sits and street smarts. You know. So I just didn't have nobody there. I didn't feel like I had anything common with most of the girls, and just no, no, I couldn't turn it off. Especially it had to get to a point, believe this man, It had to get to a point that I had to stop listening to g Like anytime Jeez came on, it would take me, It would it would take me back. I had to stop listening to it. It would take me back to that time, like that was our era, you know, that whole that whole era that that that was, That was my era. That was when Atlanta the Street, Yeah that was that was.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had to I had to cut myself off from it because I'm like, Shay, you cannot do and hear and live out there. Just impossible. You can't. You can't be in prison and trying to live outside too. You can't do it.
Speaker 2: What did you do the past time? And there? Like what I know?
Speaker 1: You said you you studied because you said so, you had thirty years and you end up doing how long?
Speaker 3: I did? Fourteen years?
Speaker 2: How did that happen? You did the drug?
Speaker 1: Uh No?
Speaker 3: In two thousand and fourteen, the Censing Commission came out with a law all drugs minus two. So it took me down two levels. That brought me down to twenty one years and ten months. And then when Trump got in office, that's how I came home.
Speaker 2: I've got a lot of people believe yep, they.
Speaker 3: You know, people say what they want to say about them. I got denied clemency bout the Obama administration. Twice, and like I said, I was the poster child that the criteria that they put out for I fit. But what people don't know is it doesn't just go directly to the president. It's changed that it go through And they asked to prosecute in office. Do they feel like you should get out of prison? Of course the prosecutor not gonna feel like I should have got out of So it took for Trump to be in office. So you know, people hate him and say stuff, But to me, it was a gift for me because that's how I got out. He signed the First Step Act, and my judge felt like, you know, I had did my time and that's how I came home.
Speaker 2: So what did you do for them fifteen?
Speaker 1: Because even though fifteen you didn't do thirty fifteen years a long motherfucking time.
Speaker 3: You keep adding a year on it.
Speaker 1: I did fourteen, Oh shit, same shit, fourteen fifteen, So I can't do fifteen days.
Speaker 3: I worked out, I taught ged classes. At one time. I was caught up into prison, a hustle, you know what I mean, trick, you know, trick to guard to bring this and that in for me. And uh then I started writing, you know, I started thinking about what I was gonna do when I came home, because, like I said, in my mind, I was not going to do thirty years, and it took ten years for me to receive my first reduction. So I begin to plan like as if I was getting up tomorrow and leave. I had to put in my mind, if you believe in it, go home. You gotta start acting like you was going home.
Speaker 2: People thought I was crazy.
Speaker 1: That's a good thing you saying, because a lot of people gonna talk about and I want you to tell me about your first year out. That's usually the toughest time because now you it's like the world hits you out of nowhere and you got to catch up with it.
Speaker 2: How was that transition for you just getting out of prison?
Speaker 3: Sitting here in front of you only been home two years?
Speaker 2: For real?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been home two years my first year.
Speaker 2: Out, so you're still hitting the ground.
Speaker 3: I'm still running my first year out, I did my I launched my t shirt line on my own.
Speaker 2: Came around twenty twenty one. Was you in the pandemic?
Speaker 3: Pandemic? Was that horrible, horrible lockdown all the time we couldn't move, We couldn't do nothing.
Speaker 2: What was what was you in Kentucky?
Speaker 3: Got shipped to Lexititon by then? Yeah, I but and I would I was still. This is how it worked out. I kept a jump rope so when it guards them, like you know, after nine o'clock count, they really ain't coming around no more. So I'll go right in front of my room and jump rope and hula hoo for thirty minutes, like to stay in touch. Because I used to tell them girls, like it's a competition going on out there, y'all ain't gonna be able to compete at y'all fat and out of shape because you're sitting around eating honey buns. And did you just watching TV and stuff? I didn't watch a bunch of junk TV. I watched sports and I watched news like I'm a basketball and football girl. I did that, and I allowed myself one week one hour I mean of junk TV like Real Housewives of Atlanta or the Kardashians win that song or whatever. But I didn't sit up and just watch stupid TV.
Speaker 2: So finished tell me about now that you got out soon?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I you know, of course, I had to get my license all over again so I did of license drivers like, yeah, yep, I have been.
Speaker 2: Going about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, passport, I had to get my passport.
Speaker 2: Oh you can get your passport. Yeah, yeah, you get your passport. I didn't know you could get your not even that quick.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I got my passport that first year. My case was from two thousand and seven. Yeah.
Speaker 2: My homeboy still Oh he got Chad support.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah that's why. Yeah. And and the book that I wrote while I was in prison, I published it. Yeah I wish I had one here today to give to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wasn't prepared. But uh. My book is called pit to Palace Mentality and the subtitle is ten key Principles to See your Way through Situation. You could get it on Amazon. It's on Amazon, or you could get at my website Angela Cright dot com.
Speaker 2: Say it one more time.
Speaker 3: You could get the book it's called pit to Palace Mentality, subtitle ten key Principles see your Way through your worst Situation. Or you can get it at on my website Angela c as in Cat Right and right. It's spelled w R I g H T Angela Cright dot com.
Speaker 1: And it's pretty much what it's talking about your life and how you overcame, how.
Speaker 3: It it came, and how to help others. Like ten key principles Number one I give you, I give you a principal. Number one is you have to accept responsibility regardless to whatever situation you ever find yourself in, like you have to take responsibility for the part art that you played in it too. Don't become bitter. You can't be bitter. Nothing comes out of bitter. Nothing comes out of bitterness but brokenness, you know. And then number three is move If you think about it, everything in the world has movement, water, the wind, trees, everything has movement. So you have to you have to stay moving no matter what. Yeah, no matter what.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So now now that you're here, now you're here with up what you need? Ask me some questions, Ask me what you need, what's on your mind, what you're going through, if you need advice with anything in life, I'm here for you.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 3: What am I going through right now?
Speaker 1: I would say, even with are you trying to like you said, you still running?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm still running. And my goal right now for this year is before this this year is out, that I want to start a podcast. So unk maybe you could tell me, give me some pointers of what I need to do.
Speaker 1: Podcasts like stand up. Just start doing it. It's really that simple, you know what I'm saying. It's microphone now. I can't teach you how to builded and stuff. That's where you come in. And I don't like to give people advice or anything. I like it because I don't think you should listen to nobody. You just pay attention, you know what I'm saying. I don't like to give advice.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm like I could shadow you every day.
Speaker 1: I'm talking as far as like as far as like career wise, I like to give advice to life, okay, but with career, I could just tell you just do it. You know what I'm saying, Just do it like you're doing that. Stay and what you just said a setting, go stay emotion, Stay emotion. Even if it don't do something, it's still practice, it's still repetition. I got this far as just consistency, staying consistent, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So another thing that I look at, you know now that that home is that I just feel like many these days have a lot of women tendencies to me. So so like how do I how do I get with the time that the time now of these men, because it just.
Speaker 2: Is it the older men you talking about the younger men.
Speaker 3: We definitely not talking. I'm not stunning. The younger men are just they're lost.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, okay, But even the older.
Speaker 3: To me, they are like I.
Speaker 1: Can see how you say that too, especially when you've went and been down for fifteen and so you used to a manly man and the fact that you had to come on. I know, it's like a it's like a culture shock.
Speaker 3: So how do I adjust to this climate, you know, like with the men with the hookahs like that. I just don't. I just don't like it.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell you one thing about me when it comes to advice. If I don't know, I don't know. I don't know, Like I don't know, man, because like I tell people this all the time, I don't know. I don't know who gave, but I know who ain't. And it's meat, you know what I'm saying. So I don't know, and I don't have no problem with it. But at the same time, I see the problems happening with our black women. They getting the bad end.
Speaker 2: In the stick, right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It's like, because there's only so many of us in this motherfucker, you know what I'm saying. So it's like they get the band and the stick. So and like, I have a lot of friends that's good, good black women, that's successful her, and it's hard for them to find me and I be and I'd be like, I want to find it, but it ain't no niggas out here. So I don't really have no advice when it comes to what to do for these niggas, because all these niggas ain't like me said, I'm a great nigga, flip flop. What I'm not flip floped. I'm what everybody is. One minute, I give a fuck one minute I don't flip flop. Okay, but it's in a good way. Some shit you should give a fuck about.
Speaker 2: Some shit you shouldn't, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So I just I just don't know about men because I be confused because I don't. I don't really pay attention to niggas. I'm not fucking them so you would, so I don't really be knowing. You know, how I found about niggas threw bitches and fuck it. Yeah, and it'd be like, what the fuck y'all deal with this? Because that's why I tell mom, like, you know, you with the ship right there, because you don't have to deal with none of this ship these that you're dealing.
Speaker 2: With, You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I got another question. What what would you say is the best way for a woman to really understand a man, because you know, y'all don't really express yourself.
Speaker 1: Pay attention to the same thing like a woman like you got to pay attention to what a woman do? You just pay attention to communicate asks, don't assume asks them.
Speaker 2: That's what I think. Are you in a relationship now?
Speaker 3: I got somebody I care about, you care about, but what I care about we bump pigs.
Speaker 2: Do y'all communicate?
Speaker 3: I think communication could be probably better on my end because I'm the type of person I go off.
Speaker 2: Is that coming from your background?
Speaker 3: No, I've always been like that, Like if you if you was to if you asked me something I told you and then you asked me again, and I got to say this same thing I'm yelling a second time to the top of my lungs.
Speaker 2: You got kids. You say, oh, you say you got a son? Yes? Son? Do you do that to him?
Speaker 3: Yeah? He knows I'm gonna yell. He'll be like, never mind, You're just gonna yell.
Speaker 1: Do you think that they're to teach you about yourself? Because like you, cause you know this about yourself? Why haven't you tried to change it? What have you tried to check yourself?
Speaker 2: I do be saying on myself.
Speaker 3: No, sometime when I have an outburst and I yell, I say to myself, Shaye, why did you just yell like that?
Speaker 2: And do you acknowledge it right then and nip it in the bullet.
Speaker 3: I don't apologize. I'm stubborn, which is another problem, which is it's another problem.
Speaker 2: But you gotta work on them problems.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 2: But you gotta start working. You gotta. You gotta put forth effort right now. I will. I'm I gonna do right now something.
Speaker 1: You got to bite the bullet, I know, especially if you say you wanted people like ain't nobody finishes?
Speaker 2: Bah, you gonna you gotta bite the bullet.
Speaker 3: And then to another thing about me. I have such a strong personality, you know, and I'm like tomboy. I like, you know, I'm I'm like a nigga because I've been so much, you know, so I think.
Speaker 2: Too that whe the right the right man.
Speaker 1: There's some like I told my old lady, she's like that, but right around me, she turned to a puppy.
Speaker 3: He softens me. He does do that, and he's the total opposite. That's what I'm trying, something new to my whole entire life.
Speaker 1: I've always dated and you dated people that was on that's gonna always fight. You need somebody solt because they gonna calm you down. Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I just think, I don't know. I just think, I don't.
Speaker 2: How long y'all been dating?
Speaker 3: Eight months?
Speaker 2: Eight months?
Speaker 1: Y'all still chilling, y'all still just let it play out, don't let you do. It's because from what you're said, so, he's doing the right's youth. Sometimes you know it's you for the most part, it's.
Speaker 3: Me, but it's also him too, because he's so laid back and like, no, not like like me, Like yeah, I would. I want him to be laid back, but I don't want you to have that nachial lot like like something don't bother you. When it's bothering you, you need to say it bothered you, don't act like it.
Speaker 2: Don't bother you about is it something your relationship about me?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? Like, so if I went out of town and I ain't call like the whole weekend, just tell me.
Speaker 2: Why you ain't called because he had pissed me. Ship. She's tripping, man, you're tripping man.
Speaker 1: Don't be just starting ship, especially what you just starting ship?
Speaker 2: Fu.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got the man.
Speaker 2: Don't be for what what you got here. I been with some pity.
Speaker 3: Because he said I always he was venting, and I interjected myself.
Speaker 1: He spoke to you, and then now you said he needs to talk to you, and you see what happens.
Speaker 2: It's huge, niggas.
Speaker 3: It's something my uncle gonna do.
Speaker 1: Me.
Speaker 3: Now down and open up and ask you.
Speaker 1: And this is the way you love. It's tough love. Come on, man, don't run that. Don't run that good man off.
Speaker 3: Yeah he works, he has a job.
Speaker 1: You just said, it's hard to find niggas out here. He's soft as niggas. And come on, don't don't lose that. Don't lose that.
Speaker 3: It's just an adjustment too, you know, like I said, I've always dated drug dealers, you know, so it's just.
Speaker 1: An adjust It took adjustment for me to be around square guy because to me, if you were in the street niggas, you was just I couldn't hang with Like I'm not disrespectful.
Speaker 2: I just felt like you ain't supposed to be all right. But that ain't they.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you know what, what what I've learned is he's not corny. You know, he's not corny. It's it's just an adjustice for me. Yeah, it's just adjustment.
Speaker 1: So you just got to do the adjusting. Yeah, so that's all it is, just to just reevaluate. Just check yourself. You gotta check yourself. You ain't gotta let everybody know you're checking yourself. But you know when you're wrong, because I know you know you're wrong because you just said I such and such and such and such.
Speaker 2: You know you're wrong. So check yourself before you get this nigga to check up out of you. Because if he.
Speaker 1: If he was og and he stuck, I mean he's established, he ain't gonna deal with no stress. That's the last thing we want. This is you on you you will say fuck it because it's another girl that's hoping to find a good nigga, you know, not to act like we like like we could do what we want to do backt the same time, it's it's just too much.
Speaker 2: Out here to be around here, be stressed out. So don't do that to your people.
Speaker 3: All right. So my takeaway is adjustment.
Speaker 2: Adjust, adjust, Adjust and check yourself.
Speaker 3: Adjust and check myself.
Speaker 2: It's my action. So adjust, No say check fuck adjust, check.
Speaker 3: Yourself, check myself.
Speaker 1: Oh your good man, check out his head busted the white meat? Yeah you, but no, man, I appreciate you. Couse anything else you want to ask anything?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got my takeaway.
Speaker 1: You got your takeaway, and you can pull out that to everything in life too, not just your relationship. It's an everything in life because, like you say, you're still on the ground running, because especially in this game, it's gonna be people that's gonna say some shit to rub you the wrong way, and especially if you've been a ship, you don't tolerate no.
Speaker 2: Disrespect at all.
Speaker 1: But you got to sometimes say you know what, you know what I'm saying, because you ain't gonna gain ship from what you're gonna do. You know what I'm saying, So you gotta say, you know what, fuck this ship. It's a bigger purpose. It's a bigger thing. This little ship here. I dealt with way worse shit than this shit. So fuck And like you say, they square out here. That's what makes it even easier. You know, you were so used to being around tough shit that you want to be. But then when you get around the squall shit and they do ship the square away that tough shit.
Speaker 2: Don't work around that ship. So you gotta be you gotta kind of soften that ship up and take that street ship. All that shit we was tall, were young, it's worthless when you get this age. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Being aggressive, being tough, being being hard, it's worthless when you get this age. It is, you know what I'm saying. So and sometimes too, like when you're saying, like a lot of dudes feeling the older you get it, don't be femin it's us. I think man gets you get more understanding and soft and an emotion. You touch into your emotions. And I used to see it a lot too. When when I used to see my og the niggas is older and member like Man, that nigga acting soft, But it wasn't that. It's just you get older and you see it for what it is, because I see me now.
Speaker 2: The older I get, the more I cry. I be crying about simple ship.
Speaker 1: You cry with movies, not movies, but like happy shit, like when people do happy shit.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, when I cried.
Speaker 1: I post about Michael J. Fox today and I cried about that motherfucker, yeah, because I was like, Man, this motherfucker's a tough motherfucker to be going through all this stuff. It's just I admire him going through the what do he got the Parkerson this season? For him to still have the same the same energy and still be happy, still make jokes thirty years because he had had that shit for a long time. And then I just saw an interview He's like, yeah, still here and I'm tired of it. I don't know how long i can do it. And I'm like, yeah, he's been fighting this shit for thirty years. So stuff like that be making me cry where I wouldn't have cried when I was younger, But now it's just simple happy shit make me cry. You know what I'm saying, Like if some tough shit I turned back to I can tough shit. That shit don't bother me, like when Nigga's talking. That shouldn't even be soft shit to.
Speaker 2: Make me cry.
Speaker 3: Okay, I got my takeaway.
Speaker 2: You have to take away check myself. All right, Well, I appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: I hope you have a great journey in your life, not just your career, just your life.
Speaker 2: You know, what's your end game? Let me ask you that, what's your endgame in life?
Speaker 3: My end game is to leave my son and them in a better position than when I then I came into the world into I really want to tackle that mass incarceration, you know, tackle that mass incarceration, that butcidivism rate. I'm so passionate about kids, do Walter. It's just you know, at nature, you want to do it for the people. Yeah, yeah, you know, And it's it's way. It's not even about me. I'm just I'm just a vest with that God is using. Yeah, it's not about me at all, and I understand that, you know, so I move myself out of the equation. I just want to help this generation to.
Speaker 2: You know why.
Speaker 1: It's smart too, because first you said your kid he's gonna be grown. Then you gotta find another purpose, not just that, but you found purpose outside of all that.
Speaker 2: But you're programming it now. I remember what I was saying about programming.
Speaker 1: You already programming because that time gonna come when your son gonna say, all right, I don't need you mama no more and fly your grandkids they ain't gonn But you still got purpose and everything else for your own personal fulfillment. And that's where you're gonna find it.
Speaker 2: Are you good?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, you got to go to school, you know.
Speaker 2: Just control that goddamn temple, right, just control that ship? You good?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah, I gotta control my temp You're good.
Speaker 1: Keep that nigga around because he gonna control it. She ain't want to hear that all at y'all this bit. Thanks for listen to another episode of Conversation with Me, Little Duval.
Speaker 2: We got this bitch.
Speaker 1: Don't miss an episode of Conversations with Listen to subscribe on the Black Effect Podcast Network, iHeartRadio, app or wherever you get your podcast. Conversation with un podcast is a production of the Black Effect Podcast Network and our executive producer is Dolly Bishop and produced by Aaron A King Howard,