Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's the final hour on this Wednesday. We've solved a lot of problems the Pro Bowl. You have to add the a Pro Bowl alternate so we can differentiate between those who were true Pro Bowl selections and those who are just filling out a ronster to play dodgeball. And maybe the NBA can look at ten minute quarters forty minute games. Therefore you'll have more players, maybe taking less time off load management might be something of the past. Internationally, that's the way they play ten minute quarters forty minute games. And the commissioner of the NBA just said now, he said that they've talked about this now. He said, give me a wild idea, and he said, well, it's not really a wild idea, but they have talked about it.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: He says that he's in favor of it. He knows what he's doing. You wouldn't float that out there unless you probably wanted to get the reaction here. And our reaction was worried about the stats. I'm worried about the aesthetics of the game. Are they going to play I just mentioned that Joellenbiid has missed four hundred games. In his career, he's played in around four hundred and sixty six games, so he's missed forty five percent of all the games. I know that he's had a lot of injuries. Anthony Davis a lot of injury. And there's certain players that they get banged up more than others, or maybe they don't play through pain like others. You got the Kawhi Leonard situation. Does this alleviate that? Can that help the situation where if you buy a ticket, you know somebody's going to play the fact that it's a maybe a two hour game like it's it's you know, bite sized portions where you'll be like, hey, I got two hours, I can watch the game instead of you tune in and you know, like Major League Baseball used to be, I don't know how long it's going to be. Baseball understood that pitchclock sped up the game. I thought baseball had an unbelievable year, and I think the NBA has to have a little bit of that. The nd season Tournament, Okay, Like the only thing I liked is the courts were different. You know, they look lively fun. I would have even more fun with that if I'm the NBA, but you got to start thinking outside the box. The end of the NFL with the kickoff, who would have thought. Now, you may not like it, but they still put the kickoff back in, so it did matter a little bit more. And still until you can have an onside kick without telling people you're going to have an onside kick, then you know, the kickoff to me is like it's a means to an end. We got to start the game. You gotta kick off the game. But they did think outside the box with that. Baseball certainly did. I think the NBA has to at least look at this.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: They might not think that anything's broken, but you want to have preemptive strikes. You want to be ahead of the game. And look, I know we get caught up in the three point shot. Too many three pointers. I just don't like bad three point shooting. I mean, I'll watch Steph Curry in warm ups. I'd watch Caitlin Clark just shoot. I did the other day when she made fifty out of fifty four in practice. I like seeing great shooting. It's just there are some teams and players who aren't good. And that's why I wondered, what would a game look like if you didn't have the three point line, just to see what it will look like, how they would play, would they play differently? And I think that might be fun. But you have to start thinking about the aesthetics of this, not all what are the stats going to be if your stats are attached to a incentive clause a bonus. I understand that you'd have to modify that. All you do is modify it, you know, with a forty minute game as opposed to forty eight minutes. But I want more players playing harder. We can keep the three but I would I would even toy with that of having fun with it. But sounds like the commission. I'm sure there are a lot of things that come across his desk, but that's what I wondered, like, was there anything wild? And I wonder what the reaction is going to be, whether it's NBA players or analysts, coaches who are going to read this Danpatrick dot com or when it gets filtered out to these other websites, of would they consider forty minute games? And I think there are a lot of positives there, But that's his job. His job is to be thinking not now, but down the road. You're thinking that with your business partners, you're thinking about that with expansion. What about NIL players now go into the into college, you're making more money, Maybe you don't come out. You know, after one and done, do they go back to an eighteen year old instead of going to the G League? Does the G League even matter anymore because it's not about attendance there? But you can go to college, make money and then go to the NBA suppose to going to the G League. But you know, these are all the things that he has to be thinking about of growing your game. And it's globally. You know, this is truly a global sport. It's not like baseball or the NFL. You know, the NFL has pockets in you know, these certain cities, certain countries, but this is basketball is global. I mean, just look at China, all the people in China, you know, in Europe. You know the number of people, You got a couple of billion, billion people that would be interested in this. And I think it gets back to do we just consume clips? It feels like it's just hey, did you see that on social media? I think a lot of people watch also. I wonder, you know, the deeper we get into gambling. And this is really a deep dive on this, but I've thought about it. Do we get away from true fandom like this new wave of fans who are going to grow up on gambling. Are they going to grow up on being a fan of a team or are they going to grow up just thinking about the gambling aspect of this? Are you going to be invested in a player because he helps you over unders things like that? Are we going to have dynasties as we move forward? So these are a lot of things that I've thought about with the NBA, and I still love the sport. I just think that there are a lot of things that could be added or subtracted that maybe would benefit the game in the long run. But I'm not concerned about somebody averaging thirty or fifteen. I want to know are they playing hard? Are they playing are they playing hard? What's the game look like? Those are the things that I'm curious about. Like I was worried about the NFL that there was too much passing. Everybody was passing, and I kept saying, somebody's going to go counter to that, and now you've seen teams go counter to that. I don't know if we get back to the big man in basketball, and truly, like if you had Shack or some of these other shacks not on the three point line, how are you going to cover shack man de man if everybody's on the perimeter. So there's going to be players. It feels like eventually who will be that back to the basket or play down low?
Speaker 5: Yes, MARVH, Well, you just talked about the international game. The international game is the big guys are skilled that hold back to the basket. Hey, let's pound the ball three times and then throw up a baby jump hook. That is not how they do it over there. And now with Jokich and when Binyama, it's going to go far, even further away than it is now as far as traditional big man basketball.
Speaker 2: But they are so skilled at other things. And that's what's amazing when you watch them, Like the evolution of that position is really incredible, really incredible. And I don't want to diminish that because watching Wemby, I watch any game he plays in Djokich, the way he plays basketball, I love watching it because I mean this is they teach pure basketball. They don't teach highlight basketball. In Europe, it's pure basketball. And you see that the number of players not born in the United States and the game that they bring for the most part is pure basketball. Shay gilis Alexander in Canada. I mean you could. It's not just not in the United States, it's not just Europe. But what Jokich does, that's the way they played basketball, you know, in the fifties or sixties, not to that skill level. And Wemby's going to be the best player in the game. Probably in three years, Wemba Nyama will be the best player in the game. And he's extremely skilled at both ends of the floor. I know that the talent level is incredible. And I was watching a Phoenix Suns game last night.
Speaker 3: I know what a life.
Speaker 2: This was a nineteen seventy you know what, for some reason, I watched Ricky Sobers, who was a guard, and I always loved Ricky Sobers for some reason. So I'm watching the Sons and the Celtics, and you know, the game is obviously different, but you know it's what I grew up on. But I'm trying to embrace this where it is just social media clips. Try to watch a game. How many times have you watched a game. How many times do you watch a baseball game all the way through? We don't do that anymore. Football we do because you can bet on everything, your team, fantasy, all that's attached, and it's once a week. So you're not like, you know, I'm gonna get tired of this the NBA. I watched the Lakers Sixers last night. It doesn't mean I go man can't wait to watch the Sixers again their next game. But last night I was entertained by Tyres maxing. Okay, it's a long winded way of saying final hour here, good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app. Dylan, you're doing the poll quot duties with a seating on the road.
Speaker 3: Yes, I am.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 3: For our two recap, which career would you rather have?
Speaker 2: Long? Okay, NFL career or short?
Speaker 3: Awesome?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: Sixty three percent with the long career okay. And then for our three pool question, keep it simple. Would you be in favor of forty minute games in the NBA?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: No, or don't care? All right, let's go around the room. Todd, would you be in favor of forty minutes instead of forty eight I would Dylan, I like it. Yeah, Marv, I mean, Paul.
Speaker 7: I see nothing against it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm okay with it. Like I don't go, god, Lee, I'm missing eight more minutes here. If the games are now here's one thing that might bother people if they're not scoring one hundred points, you know, if you have games that are you know, eighty ninety one, eighty nine. I mean hopefully you would adjust. College games don't go into triple digits. But in the NBA that might bother people the finals and nobody scoring one hundred points. But other than that, I don't see a real downside by the way, we talked about the Pro Bowl and that, you know, they just want people to participate in this. In fact, JJ Watt said that it's basically a participation Bowl when you get to like the fifth or sixth alternate, like, come on in, do you want to play Dodgible. We had Max Crosby on this is two years ago now three years ago, so right after the Pro Bowl and the Raiders defensive end, and I asked him that it looked like people were just slow dancing out there in the Pro Bowl. Who lets everybody know what was the agreement where we go we're just going to have two hand touch. Honestly, there wasn't an agreement.
Speaker 8: Once the game started, I got off the ball and I noticed everyone was kind of moving a slow motion, So I was trying to like act in a way to try to you know. But as the game went on, you know, there was a big bonus. So you know, Varibel is a competitive guy. He wanted to win. Everybody on our team was like, all right, we're gonna like kind of go with the flow, but we we wanted to win. So yeah, you know, there's a couple of third downs and fourth downs where we kind of were rushing a little bit.
Speaker 2: Okay, but for the most part, somebody had to go. We put our The officials had to know this as well. When Mac mac Jones is running and then they put their hands on they blow the whistle. Yeah, I'm like, man, Mac, he keeps jumping. You know, he's going towards the end zone. Yeah.
Speaker 8: That was the tough thing is the short yardage was the hardest thing of the whole game, because you get to fourth and two or third and two, whatever, you run the ball and someone just touches the running back. It was done, so you basically had to throw the ball every single play. So it's kind of a fine line.
Speaker 2: Did you talk amongst each other?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 8: Really, there wasn't any agreement or like a common ground of just everyone was just kind of chilling the whole time.
Speaker 2: So it's yeah, it's different, and that's why we have the participation bull and that's why you have tug a war and dodgeball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like family, double there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Jack, double there.
Speaker 2: Blake in Illinois, I had Blake. What's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Hey, good morning, Dan.
Speaker 10: How are you guys doing today?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 9: I've just had a theory that I wanted to run past you. Guys, how do you feel about if if you play in the Super or excuse me, if you play in the Pro Bowl. The incentive to play would be that you get the chance to play in the Olympics coming up for flag football. But that's the only stipulation. You have to at least play in the Pro Bowl to be considered for the Super for the Olympics.
Speaker 2: I don't know if players would want that, Like you got to play hard to play in the Olympics flag football. Uh, I don't think they would go for that. Plus, you've got a lot of guys who are professional flag football players who don't want the NFL involved in this. Like they're guys who they think, Hey, you know we do this all the time. Don't be bringing in your NFL. Yeah, Paul, the phrase profession pro flag football player sounds like jumbo shrip. I can't even believe that's a real thing. Josh and Nebraska. Hi, josh Any, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 6: Six foot two.
Speaker 2: And ten pounds.
Speaker 11: So, I'm a high school teacher. So my class is being quiet. We have a rotating study hall, so don't worry. It's not actual instructional time. I'm a decent teacher, I promise. So I've been dating this girl since September and we're both in our thirties, and my brother told my family that we were getting engaged.
Speaker 3: I didn't know this.
Speaker 11: I wasn't around when he said this, but just out of curiosity, when do you suggest it's a good time when you're in your thirties to get engaged and how much do you how much do you suggest spending on a ring as a high school teacher. I was just curious your advice and if you had an thoughts for me. I'm a Catholic. She's a Lutheran, so we'll probably have a Catholic wedding. Just as an aside. She's not real thrilled about it, but she'll get over it, I think. Anyway, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 2: Left with you guys, Thank you, Josh. I don't want to tell you what to do with the ring because I didn't have any money when I got my engagement ring and my wife was fine with it. But you know, we picked it out. Like if you're going into a marriage, then you know you've got to establish a friendship, teamwork and a where like, hey, let's be realistic, I can always upgrade if I do better, you know, in life. But the important part is getting engaged or getting married there. But as far as how long do you wait before I would suggest you go on a trip together and then see how you are when you come back from that trip. Go on a road trip, let's say ten days together, and then let me know how you're doing when you get back, because that's when you can get on each other's nerves and day to day, hour to hour, you know, stopping for gas, not stopping for gus went the wrong way. You don't listen to directions. What's wrong witheo, yes, DoD.
Speaker 12: When he said when is a good time to get engaged, I thought'd say something like Thursday, about two thirday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm more of a you know, a Wednesday afternoon guy when I get engaged. Yes, Marvin, all right, So.
Speaker 5: When you get engaged, do not get engaged. This is this is my suggestion. Oh, not get engaged on a holiday or somebody's birthday.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I got engaged on April twenty eight. You know what that day is, April twenty eighth.
Speaker 3: That's it. It's just a day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't do Christmas Valentine's, don't to Valentine's. No, No, that's gonna do it at someone else's wedding. Oh that happened to me, hijack, somebody did that at my wedding. Brutal. Yeah, at your wedding. Yeah really yeah, even.
Speaker 3: I know that.
Speaker 2: It's like a taboo family member. Did somebody in the family tree did that?
Speaker 3: That's not cool?
Speaker 2: Yeah are the family.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But the.
Speaker 2: As I got uh got to the reception, I the following was said to me. Don't mean to upstage you, but we just got engaged. So they acknowledged it too that they were upstaging. Well, they didn't mean to upstage me, right, that's like no offense. They just got engaged. I went, I just got to the reception, I just got married. And then not to upstage you, but we just got engaged.
Speaker 3: Enough about you, guys, How about us?
Speaker 5: Oh mans Way Waite who just got engaged?
Speaker 2: Yeah, take a break. We'll get to more phone calls after this Dan Patrick show. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 13: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on.
Speaker 5: In the world.
Speaker 13: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 2: I mean that says something.
Speaker 13: Right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 2: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 13: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media that's Cavino and.
Speaker 2: Rich Vinnie or ven A in New Orleans.
Speaker 4: Hey there, Dan, First Time, Long Time five nine eighty five, a hairy one hundred and eighty five. Hey, So, I want to have a few recordit restaurant recommendations for you. My first one is called Saffron New Orleans. It's a fusion of Indian Cajun foods. So, for example, they have a curried gumbo and like with their lamb chops, they take the best of New Orleans spices and the best of Indian food spices and they mash it together. And he has all these experimental foods and cocktails. My number two is Pesche. I'm not sure if you've ever been to Peshe. It's a seafood and steakhouse. It's probably like five minutes away from the Superdome. They're open Sundays. And my final one is called Rizzuto's. They're like in neighborhood restaurant, another steak and seafood restaurant. You can't go wrong with any of those three restaurants, but my favorite is Saffron.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, thank you for the recommendations. Yeah, we're looking for a place where I can bring the dan Eds and the back room guy Sunday. I don't know. Can we get that many people in a restaurant here on a Sunday? And we're going at five o'clock because if I'm paying, we're going early. We're thinking of doing four tables of three. Actually, thank you, thank you, Dylan. I'm fine with that too. I don't care. I don't care the math, just as long as we can get in there, have a dinner, and uh, I don't have to sit next to top Lex.
Speaker 3: Speed did like six tables of two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he could just get up, move to another one, get up.
Speaker 3: Move It would great content.
Speaker 2: Well, the problem is you'd have to take your plate with you. I don't think you'd be going to somebody else's plate, or I'd be coming to your plate. Yeah, it's part of the fun.
Speaker 3: Yet a little messy. We'll get a little.
Speaker 2: Messy, all right, Mike McCarthy, Cliff Kingsbury, wait till next year. I don't know if it was by choice, but it was probably by the saint's choice that neither is going to get that job. And looks like Kellen Moore is the leading candidate. He's got the Super Bowl ahead of him. Super Bowl's over, you stay in New Orleans and do a press conference. Jalen Milroe of Alabama decided to come out, and I think he could have used another year in college. But if somebody's gonna take him, maybe in the first two rounds. The problem though, was it's almost hand sized season. That's usually at the combine, the Senior Bowl, they all of a sudden jumped to shark. Here they went hand size before the Combine, and Jalen Milroe has small hands. You have the official measurement here.
Speaker 7: I'm reporting this as a journalist. I'm not besmirching his hands. Guy or Jaln Milroe. He measured his hands at eight point sixty eight, which is less than eight and three quarters inches for his hand size, which is Kenny Pickett esque.
Speaker 2: Ooh, we went pack. So after Kenny Pickett went to the combine and it came out that he had small hands. Every picture, every picture that we saw, he's got his hand in his pocket. So he was a hand hider, as Paulie likes to say, he's hand hiding. That's what he's doing. He's hand hiding and he's there with his girlfriend. He's got his hand in his pocket, so you can't see that his hand size. Yes, Marmon, you can call him Kenny Pocket. Oh okay, Blue, Yes.
Speaker 3: Tod And what's wrong keeping your hands in your pocket all times?
Speaker 2: Huh? Well you got on stage when you were singing Hall of Oates hands in your pocket.
Speaker 3: How to make it about me?
Speaker 7: Yes, paul is the upside for Jaln Milroe that he has two months until the combine and can expand his hands for that measurement. The official measurement is our handspreading expert in the South that can help them.
Speaker 2: There are people who do help you. They do a niche industry it is it is. I mean I got on how often it comes up? Where you know people go yep, hey, you gotta stretch my hand. Okay, how busy are you at work? I don't know. I don't know how. I'm hoping you have something else like that's your side. Hustle is stretching hands.
Speaker 7: It'd be like a coffee shop and stretching business. The coffee will carry you.
Speaker 2: Yes, smart, Where can.
Speaker 5: You find these people? I'm asking for a frank?
Speaker 2: I was just ask myself, Yes, Paul H.
Speaker 3: Todd, was that applied to have the error? Is exactly what I want? Wow, well, might as well just get it out there.
Speaker 2: I think if it's eight point six eight you're doing? Yeah, kill that segment? Thank you doing.
Speaker 3: I was also asking for a friend, of.
Speaker 2: Course, you were to thank you Carston in Orange Counting, Hi Carston, what's on your mind? Hey Carston? Hey and Ed Good? What's on your mind?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 14: I was thinking that the forty minute has changed to the NBA might not have the intended effect. You might just have the stars playing the same number of minutes.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, there's always that possibility, but I don't think you can get any worse though, with load management. This to me, at least you're thinking you're trying. Thank you for the phone call. Yeah, I don't know what the downside would be with that. We already see it. I just mentioned Joe El Embiid has missed four hundred games in his career. He's played in four hundred and sixty six Kawhi Leonard, I don't know. If it means that these players will be able to play longer, then we would all benefit from that. Ed in Chicago, Hi, Ed, what's on your mind?
Speaker 6: Hey guys, I think fourth time callers six ' to two are rising two forty. Unfortunately, the thing I love most about the show is all the inside jokes. You guys did kill that last segment. Dan, I go back the timeyless sort of sound bite of him calling gibble Ron.
Speaker 2: Yes, just crack me up every.
Speaker 6: Time, Hey, Ron, it was just the best. I mean, your laughter is just makes my day. Anyway. The reason why I was calling, as you mentioned, is gambling, the culprit for perhaps making people root for outcomes or players or their parlay or whatever as opposed to their team. Fantasy football ruined that for me. I'm a Bears fan. PAULI self hating, and I was rooting for Packers because if I had Farvard Rodgers who were studs as a QB in fantasy, guess who I was rooting for. The Bears weren't going to pay me. My fantasy team would. So I think it goes back to fantasy before gambling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because if you want that guy to lose, if he's you know, your arch rival, but you want him to play well. If you have Aaron Rodgers on your fantasy team, you may not want him to win the game against your team, but you want him to score a lot of It's weird now what we root for now? Gambling, you know it's prevalent, it's now, it's commonplace. I don't know if you're gonna have that fandom where you root for a team as much as you're rooting for situations or your fantasy team. And that's why I wonder about that with all of these leagues, you grow up as a fan of a team. I don't know if this next wave of football fans or baseball or basketball fans and you're gambling on everything. Are you rooting for your team? You're rooting for a situation, yes, Mark, But on the flip side. If you're a Tennessee Titans, not a Tennessee Titans fan. If you had Chris Johnson ten years ago, you're watching the Titans a game you normally wouldn't watch, So it brings eyeballs to every single game. If you have Trevor Lawrenson your fantasy team, you're watching the Jaguars game because Trevor Lawrens is on your fantasy team. So it brings eyeballs to every single game no matter who's playing, but you're watching. I mean, you can watch the red zone. You don't have to be watched. I mean, I could love Trevor Lawrence. He's on my fantasy team. That does mean I want to watch Jacksonville. I mean, let's be honest. You come on, you can still check the box score after the game. Yeah, so I can check in on that. They got apps for everything there. Paul in North Dakota, Hi, Paul, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 10: Dan, first time, long time, six foot two sixty five, and I just had an idea, a potential idea for the Pro Bowl. I wanted to hear your thoughts. So what they could do is just select the players like they normally are for their performance during the during the regular season, and rather than those starters or those of the All Stars playing in the game, those players could select somebody from their team or from their practice squad to play in their place, and that way you could get like a competitive, competitive game. They would give those players some more exposure.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't want to see another football game that resembles the NBA All Star Game, my guy.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I have no interest in it. Like I'll watch the All Star Game because there can be some fun highlights there. I don't need a exhibition football game, you know. I don't. And even when the Pro Bowl was played in Hawaii, I'd be like anything else on and then you might watch just a little bit. I just love that it was in Hawaii, but that was basically it. Eric in La Hi, Eric, What's on your mind?
Speaker 15: Adp Five eight and A hard hard I had a couple of rule changes that could impact load management. I was thinking that the NBA, when it comes out with this schedule, can set games where teams are allowed to load manage, but on other games, if an independent doctor picked by the league and the player says that a guy is load managing and you accumulate enough of those, you get added a loss to your lost call.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, no, we can't. You can have an upset stomach, you can have a you know, a tight hamstring. I don't know if doctors can go yep uh, I will keep you. You got an upset stomach there, I don't think so.
Speaker 7: Yeah, how about a new thing where we all show up to work what we're paid for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that. I see here's another thing. This is going to happen soon. I brought this up. But imagine somebody making one hundred million dollars a year in the NBA. Because that's gonna happen. You're gonna notice every time they don't play. The first guy you're gonna notice, Shake Gilgess Alexander one hundred million dollars. How many games did he play? Oh, he's not playing.
Speaker 8: Just the.
Speaker 2: You've got the old school people. We're going to die over that one hundred million dollars and Shay Gilgess or whoever it is. But man, it's a lot of money, a lot of money. But somebody's got to get that money because there's only you know what, twelve thirteen players on a roster and you're getting all they're getting billions of dollars from all these streaming partners. Somebody getting the money.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Pauline, I'm curious what the reaction to this was. You might remember it better than us. In November seventy nine, Nolan Ryan got a four year, four point five million dollar contract, headlines on the newspapers. First million dollar player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I you know, when Ricky Henderson became I think the first three million dollar player, I don't think it registered because I thought that those guys were great. Now you're gonna have players that are gonna make fifty million dollars and you're gonna go who is he? Yeah? Mark?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: When Otto Porter got a hundred million dollars, I mean, come on, I was like, who in the blue hell is Otto Porter? And I'm an NBA g A Donald Foyle? Oh like you just like Mark Jackson? No, not the point guard?
Speaker 2: Who player? Yes, Mark Jackson? Was that Mark with a C? I think was m a R C Warriors legend? Yeah? Oh gosh, but it's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: We do this now with our quarterbacks where you're like, god, I can't believe that guy makes that. But you're gonna have one hundred million dollar a year. Guy, in the next five years, you're probably gonna have one hundred million dollars Kevin in Vegas, Hi, keV, what's on your mind?
Speaker 16: Hey, guys, I'm gonna get right to it. The commissioner came on and he didn't want to say anything wrong. There's never gonna be a short. They're never going to save two minutes off. It's all about money. And if you think about save the two minutes off all the time that they will lose. I'm as far as to say they're going to add two minutes. It's all about the money.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Kevin Well. The commercial inventory is what's important. That's what they want to make sure that they're able to sell that. But he's taken eight minutes off the game, not two minutes, I mean two minutes a quarter, but a sounded like he was into it. I want to be fair to the commissioner. He didn't say that that was happening. He wouldn't have revealed that. It's like, you know, the NFL commissioner when he started talking about eighteen games. This is a while ago. I said, yeah, we're going to eighteen. Well, nothing's effitting. We're going to eighteen games, and I'm curious what the headlines are with the commissioner saying this and what the reaction is going to be. I don't think it'll be a negative reaction that they want forty minute games like they do in Europe and ten minute quarters. I don't know if anybody the players are going to go, wait, we still get paid the same. Yeah, I'm in favor. All right. Well, take a break, last call for phone calls, what we learn, what's in store tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Right after this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Oh that was nice. Heard back from the Commissioner's office. He said, you know, if I can help with reservations in New Orleans, you let me know. So that's very nice, very thoughtful. Yeah, I appreciate that we probably ruined his day though by having this come out that maybe's considering ten minute quarters now forty minute games instead of forty eight. Once again, he just said it's a wild idea. He didn't say that it's something that they're putting into motion. But I do think that he would certainly appreciate the reaction, because that's what happens a lot of times with these commissioners. You know what, You're going to see a headline that's going to say NBA remodeling question mark, and then it'll be something about that this is how this works. But the commissioner is very bright, so I'm guessing that he knew or knows what the reaction is going to be. Matt in South Carolina, Hi, Matt, what's on your mind?
Speaker 10: Hey?
Speaker 2: Dan?
Speaker 9: First time caller, six foot two.
Speaker 6: Fifty, old school?
Speaker 9: What is the best super Bowl host city?
Speaker 2: Thanks? Levy? All right, let's go around the room. Best host city, Todd that you've been in?
Speaker 3: I think it might very well be New Orleans?
Speaker 2: All right, Dylan? Have you been too many Super Bowl sites?
Speaker 3: A few of the one as I've been to.
Speaker 2: I thought Scottsdale was actually a lot of fun. Okay, all right? Well that was a great setup that we had at Scottsdale's. Yeah, that combined that helped. Yeah, that big times, that helped. Marvin. How about you?
Speaker 3: Recency bias, Las Vegas, Paulie.
Speaker 7: New Orleans can handle a lot of people. They're used to conventions. It's a very spread out city with different areas. They're a one seed.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 7: Indianapolis was surprisingly easy, did a great job, very centrally located, easy to walk, and it had great weather.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that helped that they caught a break with the weather. But Minneapolis was great, great, like it was freezing, but you know that you like to be able to walk, and there were so many great places to go, restaurants, bars, the people.
Speaker 12: Yes, Ton, Yeah, I was gonna second that. India was really nice. We had a nice steak and shrimp dinner and stuff.
Speaker 3: There was stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you. PAULI has a movie review.
Speaker 7: I had to recommend this movie. It was on Netflix. It's called Carry On with Jason Bateman. I describe it as this without die Hard two meets Phone Booth if you saw either of those movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Bateman is a bad guy. Yes, Bruce Willis is a good guy.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 7: Bateman plays the bad guy role in an airport and it's if you ever saw phone Booth? Who's the actor Colin fern Ferrell, very phone booth ish person in your ear? Fun it's a fun movie.
Speaker 2: They don't have phone booths anymore.
Speaker 7: No, they're all done. Yeah, no phone booth too, and the scrap people. It's one of those movies where you get about halfway done with it and you're like, I'm going to see how this finishes up. I'll Bateman gets taken out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I watched it a couple of weeks ago. Yeah, I wouldn't watch it again.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I like him. I would have liked if he was the good guy. Maybe maybe he doesn't like that. Oh, I gotta be the good guy again. I want to be the bad guy.
Speaker 16: Uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't watch that. I mean, I watched it, but I I kind of recommended it to my wife because I said you might like this, and she kept saying, what's that movie? Baggage claim? I don't know, no, honey, it's carry on. There is no baggage claim. He's carrying one baggage claim running in laps around the baggage claim. Baggage claim Liam Neeson, I will find your bag and then kill you. And I will kill you.
Speaker 3: Yes, time was he believable as a bad guy.
Speaker 12: He's such a good guy you were able to suspend disbelief and go with that.
Speaker 2: I do it every day on this show. Tom Well said fake laugh. Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 5: There is a movie called Baggage Claim released in twenty thirteen, starring Paula Patton, Oh, Derek Luke, Oh, Paula or missus Robin Thick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I met her. I was in a movie with her. Yeah, yeah, Baggage Claim. No, I wasn't in Baggage Plans. But I was in a Sadler movie with her. Yeah. Very striking, Yeah, very striking.
Speaker 3: Yes, Tom, you're just dying to get your bags.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you?
Speaker 3: Oh is that what that was?
Speaker 2: Thank you? Yeah? Thank you. Gregan Wisconsin, Hi Greg, what's on your running today?
Speaker 17: Hey Dan, thanks for having me on. Yeah, second time, long time, six foot two, twenty Just want to make it, Just want to make a comment on what you said about viewership and loyalty to your team versus gambling.
Speaker 6: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 17: When me and my buddies are all setting around watching a game, we got money on the game, we don't care who wins, as long as we win.
Speaker 2: I know that is your loyalty. Now, I didn't have that growing up.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I did bet, but I it wasn't one of those where I would never bet on a team that I liked, Like I didn't want to have them involved in the bet because then I couldn't watch the game. This day in sports history, Paulie.
Speaker 7: Dan, Are you ready for a This day in sports history?
Speaker 3: Quiz?
Speaker 7: Yeahish ish nineteen thirty six The first members of Major Leagues Baseball's Hall of Fame, Cooperstown, New York. There was five of them?
Speaker 2: Okay, who were.
Speaker 7: The first first ballot guys?
Speaker 2: So, babe, is there correct? Ty Cobb correct? Walter Johnson yep, Christy Mathewson correct?
Speaker 7: Do you need a hint?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 7: His card was probably the most expensive card, honest wagon onnes wager.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't have gotten that one. Here's one for you. In nineteen eighty you know what you want to talk about? Load management? This guy played sixty four minutes in the Lakers four time overtime, four overtime loss to Cleveland. Norm Nixon played sixty four four minutes and that one fifty four to one fifty three loss. Also on this date, our good buddy Steve Young throws six touchdown passes the Niners beat the Chargers. It could be a like a static.
Speaker 7: Stand a day, Standaday, Sanday Standaday.
Speaker 3: This is the Standana Day.
Speaker 2: Brought to you by Panadian America. Steve will join us. I think the Monday after the Super Bowl to recap things correct. I think when he was driving back in the limo after that game, he threw up Steve Young. Did I think Carrie Collins was in the car because he was being entertained by Steve's agent. I think Lee Steinberg and Kerry Collins at Penn States in the car and Steve I Leave throws up on Kerry Collins shoes. Tom what'd you learn today?
Speaker 3: Roger and Iyer.
Speaker 12: Were suggested, with Dylan now in the mix, we should have Hour by Hour again at relegation.
Speaker 2: Dylan, what did you learn?
Speaker 3: The Pro Bowl alternates? Get the scarlet?
Speaker 2: Leonard a Pro Bowl alternate, Marvin would you? Would you learn today?
Speaker 3: And beat his miss four hundred games?
Speaker 7: Paul Harry Collins was booted upon.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us, Our pleasure to serve you. We'll try to do it again. Talk to you tomorrow.