Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: The video is apocalyptic.
Speaker 3: Some of the news broadcast I'm watching with what's happened in California, Los Angeles, Pacific Palisades.
Speaker 2: Man, it's heartbreaking.
Speaker 3: It's one thing when you get out of your house and you're safe and you've evacuated, but you still lost your house. And that video it is it is really really tough. It's it's devastating in more ways than one. So the firefighters, thank God for them. And I always think about this, you know, whenever you're in a hometown, you're small town and you see the firefighters out there and they'll have that day where they have their boots and they're collecting money. Think about that next time. Just think about that next time with those great people. But uh, you know, well, this feels like it's a yearly thing that goes on an annual thing. Unfortunately with California and these winds are whipping, I mean eighty ninety miles per hour, you're not sure where to go even when you evacuate. Talking to a friend last night at two in the morning my time, he said, I don't know where to go in the which direction said, it's scary, so the proverbial thoughts and prayers, but certainly more than that, whatever that is, certainly more than that. But really really that you watch and you're like, that is real, and that's happening right now. It's almost like from a movie set. But it's not all right.
Speaker 2: Our job is to be a diversion.
Speaker 3: Our job is to entertain, make you laugh, make you think, make you smile, and we'll try to do that today. We got the Minister of Humor here, Fritzy in the back row. You got seat, and you got Marv, you got Paula yours truly and of course the back room guys.
Speaker 2: Good morning.
Speaker 3: If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app to watch the program. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show, and this first hour brought to you by Rapid Radios, the official walkie talkie of the DP Show. Instant push to Talk offering national LTE coverage, nose subscriptions ever, business owners keep in touch with up to two hundred staff members at one time one push of a button. Go to Rapid radios dot com up to sixty percent off and free shifting. We'll talk to Chase Daniel, the former quarterback. He'll join us from now. He's driving up from San Diego to Los Angeles and he works for Fox Sports one. So hopefully Chase will be okay commuting from San Diego up there with the fires. Mike Florio on the comings and goings here of you know, Antonio Pierce gets fired. I was not surprised that he got fired. This has Tom Brady's fingerprints all over it. In my opinion, as a minority owner, if I'm Mark Davis, it'd be crazy not to use Tom as the sounding board to say what do you think we should do, how do you think that we should approach this, and what coach do you have in mind?
Speaker 2: So Florio will join us a little bit later on as well.
Speaker 3: Got a poll question, Play of the Day, stat of the Day eight seven to seven three DP show operator Tyler sitting by. He'll take your phone calls. Got a big basketball game tonight. It'll be the Thunder against the Cavaliers. Thunder the best in the West, the Calves the best in the East. That's National TV. And then you'll have Spurs in the Bucks. So you got Wemby against the Greek freak. So maybe basketball will take the spotlight and showcase some great talent, some great teams there coming up later on tonight. Back to Antonio Pierce being fired, I didn't think he was going to keep his job because of Tom Brady coming in. Now, if they had the number one pick, then I thought, sure, he's not gonna keep his job. It's you want to come in, Okay, let's start. Let's start with a coach and maybe we get a quarterback here. I thought they were gonna go all in on Michael Pennox last year. Now they could have gotten bow Nicks, but they got Rock Bowers, who is gonna finish runner up and Rookie of the Year. He was great, But you gotta find your quarterback. Now, imagine if you had your quarterback. I mean that's another thing. When you look at Rock Bowers and Malik Neighbors. They put up these unbelievable seasons with bad quarterback play, which makes it like if you're grading it on a curve, Damn that's impressive. So here are the Raiders with the sixth pick. Now, it's not a heavy quarterback draft. You're gonna have cam Ward, who right now is the favor to be the number one pick. If the Titans hold on to it, then Shadoor Sanders. Then you're gonna have Jalen Milroe at some point. But if you're the Raiders, are you going to get maybe somebody in free agency?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: I was talking to somebody, a former TV executive who is well connected with the owners around the league, and I'm talking to him about a couple of things, and I said, would the Raiders kick the tires on Aaron Rodgers? He said, well yes, and he goes, I would too, because Aaron respect for Tom Brady. Raiders, you're playing inside. Half of your games are going to be now, granted you're in the AFC West, but if you want to do that bridge quarterback there And I said, okay, Like, I just I can't get into the Aaron Rodgers business now.
Speaker 2: I just can't.
Speaker 3: And I know those are respectable numbers that he put up, but there's just so much more that's going to go with this.
Speaker 2: Now, are you like, what do you have and you bring him in? What do you like? What are your expectations? Hey, let's win five games.
Speaker 3: Hey, it doesn't matter what our record's going to be peop who are stilling to show up.
Speaker 2: We're a tourist destination.
Speaker 3: I don't know what the mindset would be for the Raiders that how quickly do they want to win? But if Tom Brady's involved in this, Tom Brady, he's not used to losing, and that's what I think. How do you expedite this? Does he bring in Mike Rabel? Does Mike Rabel? And this is another thing I asked the former TV execut I said, does Mike Rabel turn down the Patriots as a way of showing respect to Bill Belichick because what happened at the very end with the Craft family in Belichick?
Speaker 2: Now? He said, yes, I could see that happening.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Once again, this is just somebody's opinion on this, because I don't think anybody really knows what goes on with the Patriots.
Speaker 2: They're pretty, you know, close to the best.
Speaker 3: But if you're Mike Brabel and you have respect for Belichick, would you want to go back to where Bill coached and created this legacy? And he's going to have I think multiple opportunities. I think Brabil will have a couple of different places to choose from, which is interesting because he was available last year and maybe he decided that he didn't want to coach, didn't want to be a head coach, maybe wanted to kind of step back be, you know, a consultant for the Cleveland Browns. But now he's going to get that opportunity. But Brady's got to get his quarterback. That's the crazy part of this that the greatest quarterback now needs to find a quarterback and who's going to be good enough?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Is that where you go to Sam Darnold. That's a possibility as well. So I think there's so much going on. Then you got the Dallas Cowboy situation. Mike McCarthy. Now the Cowboys said no, you can't interview with the Chicago Bears. It's kind of interesting that in a week's time, if he's not re signed, they can't do anything about it. But then if he's not rescign and then they're not bringing like, I don't know what the hold up there is. But Jerry Jones after the game on Sunday was asked about Mike McCarthy interviewing elsewhere.
Speaker 5: Then I would say, go talk.
Speaker 2: I really would go talk.
Speaker 5: Sounds I just let Zeke do that, got it? But I don't want anybody here that's not healthy to have somebody around it wants to be someplace else.
Speaker 3: Really, it's not Okay, then why didn't you deny permission? Mike doesn't want to interview with the Bears, he'd rather stay with the Cowboys. But if you're not going to resign him and letting go interview with the Bears, mind boggling. Mind boggling. All right, Seaton, what's pole question for the first hour of the program? Well, we got a few of them here for you.
Speaker 6: Let's see, PAULI sent one over the head coachless team that feels furthest from the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Furthest from the Super Bowl head coachless the phrase this sounds weird.
Speaker 3: Look at this, we're head coachless. How's the rest of the body? Okay, well, let me think about that. Maybe we'll do that in a few minutes. Okay, what else do you have?
Speaker 2: Seed?
Speaker 6: Uh, let's see, we have better gig Fox Broadcaster or Raiders front office.
Speaker 3: Well, he is a part owner, so that's different than and they kept Tom toe LESCo as their GM. I just see Brady as a one and done. He does the Super Bowl and then he decides that he's going to be more involved with the Raiders. I just don't see Tom sort of in and like one foot in, one foot out with the Raiders.
Speaker 2: I just he's too much of a competitor.
Speaker 3: And it's one thing you can compete in this business, like I compete with myself every day. We compete, you know, with ourselves each day. But this is different. These are wins and losses with Tom and creating something, building something, and I think that would probably intrigue him as opposed to being a broadcaster. I mean, Tom can be at a certain level and he knows that there'll just be people who don't like him just because he's Tom Brady or he beat their team or whatever it might be. You know, Tom is competing against Tom, and I think that I don't know if he gets the same kind of adrenaline rush now he will when you do a playoff game, when you do the Super Bowl, Tom's going to be like, oh my god, that was awesome, but it's still not that awesome of playing in it. Or you're part of a team. Now it's a different team. It's the Fox broadcast team. But he's used to winning and losing and when you get done with the show, only you decide if you've won or lost.
Speaker 2: Hey, how did I sound? Was that good? This is different with the Raiders, yes see.
Speaker 6: But if his plan was to be part of the Raiders organization, right, he's a minority owner, but he wants to be involved in the day to day operations. Why would you sign a ten year contract at Fox?
Speaker 3: Well, he got that before he got the Raiders situation. He didn't know that was going to be approved. Now, once again, I don't have any information on that, but I'm just thinking. I think Tom realized broadcasting is a little bit tougher than he thought. The thing he thought, you know what, this is fun. I'm around the game, and I've been around a lot of former players and former coaches who realize that those who make it look easy, that's how they stand out.
Speaker 2: Those are the stars. It's not easy. But when you make like John Madden made it seem like, oh man, you just kidding them that, mom, But it was so much more than that, Like you have to put in your time.
Speaker 3: Tom can't even go and be in these meetings now, Like he can't even be there to talk to these people, like, you know, the analysts, normally do. So I think Tom it was an offer he couldn't refuse. And then I think he probably realizes that all right, I kind of like it, you know, it's kind of fun, but nothing compares to competing, and he's one of the ultimate competitors. And that's why I think. And look, Andrew Marshawn of you know, the media critic, he's the one who brought it up and said, hey, he thinks Tom's going to be one and done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pulling.
Speaker 7: If you had this could be a five minute poll question. If you had a bet that Tom Brady has one job a year.
Speaker 2: From now, which would it be the Raiders?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 9: The competitive angle, yeah, yeah once once again. You know, I was around Drew Brees and when you're when you're in the studio, it's sterile. And that's what it's really jolting for these former coaches and players.
Speaker 2: It's like you're watching these games.
Speaker 3: And then you talk a little bit about them with highlights and analysis. But if you go to games, broadcast games, there's a whole different energy when you walk in. And I thought, okay, maybe that can replicate something that Tom had when he played. That feeling and I man, I like this. I think he realized it's a little bit tougher the critics. You know, you can't just go out there and say I'm gonna throw a touchdown pass. It doesn't work that way. Or man, wait till they get this analysis. And Tom is working with somebody who is trying to help him bring up things that nobody else is bringing up, Like he wants to get that he's a competitor there. And I was told that he works with somebody at Fox and they're trying to give him these stats, you know, things that he can work on bring up. And then it's like, all right, I see what you're doing there, Tom, Yes, Ton.
Speaker 5: Is he more concerned about his look or how he sounds in.
Speaker 2: The air, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think his looks are all set, I think, but though, yeah, well, I think he's pretty good for a little clearly. I think in the next ten years he'll look pretty good.
Speaker 2: Still.
Speaker 3: His voice, his voice is something that you know it he doesn't have that great voice, But I don't know if that would factor in it all.
Speaker 2: I think this is just Tom. Get a coach in.
Speaker 3: There, maybe get Mike Rabel in there, and then you find your quarterback, and then this is a different way of kind of differentiating you from anybody else. You know, Elway tried to do it, it didn't work out. Now others have tried to be part of a franchise, and certainly great quarter Hall of Fame courter of Dan Marino's with the Dolphins. This is something where if you create something like this, I think you just put that on the resume. It's another thing to put on the resume and say, yep, I did that, did you?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Pulling as journalist Tom Brady just last night posted a picture on vacation. He's at the beach with a football in his hand. He goes, man, it's January. I got to see how the arm is. See if I can still do it like for fun. He's just goofing around. But of course he's shirtless than he looks. The lighting is just perfect. Yeah, but he could still play, that's the thing.
Speaker 2: He looks lean.
Speaker 1: He will.
Speaker 3: He will be the best quarterback in the building with the Raiders next year. Even if they bring in Sam Darnold Tom or bring in Rogers. He Tom would probably think.
Speaker 2: You know, I could probably do this. It's just you know, this is.
Speaker 3: And I wouldn't rule it out after watching Lebron last night. Now it's different. Lebron's, you know, freakish the dunk that he had against the MAVs. But you know, in his mind, Tom probably goes, I could still do it. Only forty I'm only forty seven. I can see that, all right. Glad you're with us and whatever role we play in your lives on a daily basis, certainly those of you in Los Angeles, hopefully we can be a diversion for you.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 3: We'll take a break, We'll get to phone calls coming up. Settle on our poll question. We're back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 10: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 2: I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 10: So check us out. We like to get you involved too, Take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Age seven to seven to three.
Speaker 3: DP show email Addressdpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show Say good morning to our radio affiliates around the country. Ashton gent Boise states, running Back is going pro. I didn't think that that was a decision. I thought that was a foregone conclusion there, but made it official And I don't know where he fits, you know, because we're always looking for what kind of running back is he is going to be used in a way that's similar to Saquon Barkley. Can he be used like Christian McCaffrey. Like you just start to look at these teams who did buy into the run. NFL teams ran the ball forty three percent of the time this season.
Speaker 2: That's the highest since two thousand and nine.
Speaker 3: Stat of the day, sat of the day, that past stat of the day, stat of the day?
Speaker 2: Here comes that what stat of the day.
Speaker 3: And I don't know where Ashton gent falls. I don't know if mel Kiper has his mock draft. There's always there's a mock draft right after the regular draft in April. And by the way, we will be in Green Bay for drafts at the draft, yes, we will not sure where we'll be, but we're gonna be there. We're going to do our show, do a couple of shows there nearby Lambeau. But I'm packing up everybody, and uh, we are heading to Lambeau in April for the NFL Draft. That's awesome, yes, And then sometime this summer, I don't know why, I'm going to make good on the promise to go to Iowa. Five cities, five days. Let's go because my wife goes. She keeps going, why I go?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 3: And I said, I you know, we have all these radio affiliates. Seaton's a big deal in Iowa, and I think, you know, we could take a victory lap around the state of Iowa. And uh so at some point we will. We'll let you know, and then you can let us know. I would say, where to go. You've told us where to go before before getting to Iowa. See what I did with that, Todd very cough. Yeah, I was having the des moneies.
Speaker 5: I hope we got to see that.
Speaker 3: Yes, we will. I think we'll have to do that. But yeah, there's there's five cities, five days. We'll try to do that. We're going to have drafts at the draft at Lambeau. We're going to the super Bowl as well. If you're in New Orleans super Bowl Week, there's something special that'll be on February fifth. February fifth at Tippa Tina's in New Orleans, one of my favorite bars to go to.
Speaker 2: Let's.
Speaker 3: It's a place where you can see music and uh I'll be there with Dan Levittard and it's Dan versus Dan or Dan Interviewing Dan and tickets can be found at Danpatrick dot com and across our social media platforms.
Speaker 5: Yes time, we were wondering back here. Most of them hear music, but you find a way to see the music.
Speaker 2: Well, you can see music.
Speaker 5: Let's see someone playing music. Yeah, the actual auditory.
Speaker 7: I think I would phrase it, I'm going to see this band. Yeah, I'm going to hear this band.
Speaker 5: Okay, just bust the job.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you to and we know what you mean.
Speaker 5: Fun to just take a little shop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I'm sensitive, Todd. Do you realize sometimes your words hurt?
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go hear the rainbows. They're beautiful, I can poke.
Speaker 2: What's I'm fine with it. I love it. I love that you just said to Todd. Don't you realize the words hurt? Yeah? I know, but I'm mocking Todd. And yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Could be sensitive sometimes, Yes, every once in a while.
Speaker 2: But it's okay your words hurt sometimes.
Speaker 5: I think you're gonna be just fine.
Speaker 2: Yes, Paul, that's that's a fun fault.
Speaker 7: Spring summer we have ahead of us, Yes, yes, it's when's last time you're in Green Bay?
Speaker 2: The season opener.
Speaker 3: I was there for Football Night in America, and uh I remember signing my contract in the parking lot on the hood of somebody's car who played for the Packers. I was out there with management. They said, you know, you got to sign your contract, and so before I started that night's broadcast, I had to sign my contract there in the parking lot.
Speaker 2: There's nothing more Green Bay than that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Yeah, but yeah, that'll be fun. We look forward to it and love going to Wisconsin. All righty, we'll settle on a poll question here. Let's go team by team, the teams that are head coachless. Who's furthest from winning a Super Bowl? Okay, Todd, I'll start with you.
Speaker 2: Which team I'm going to say the Raiders. The Raiders are the furthest away.
Speaker 5: I think they're a mess. I know you got Tom Brady and he'll maybe I'll help figure it out. But they just fired their coach after one year. The Broncos in charges have gotten significantly better, and the Chiefs obviously are there aren't going anywhere anytime real soon. I just think that's a tough spot, even though they have one of the top picks. Just I think it's going to be a while.
Speaker 8: With the Raiders.
Speaker 3: And I did have somebody say this former TV executive, he said, you know you're going to get players that are going to be upset that Antonell Pearce was fired and he said, you know the point that I would make is play harder. He would have kept his job, like, we don't want him to go play harder than he doesn't go. Seaton, the team that is head coachless furthest away from the super Bowl.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna say it's the unfortunately of New Orleans Saints. I don't really think that they're they're close at all. I'm not a massive fan of their quarterback situation. I think they have a real hellish cap space situation too, where they got to cut a lot of veteran players. It doesn't seem like it's a good situation.
Speaker 8: There at all.
Speaker 3: And somebody suggested to Derek Carr, would you take a pay cut?
Speaker 2: And he said no, no, no, no, I will not thank you.
Speaker 3: He goes, no, not with what I have on tape, which means, go look at my resume, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, okay.
Speaker 3: He said he would restructure, but he wouldn't take a pay cut.
Speaker 2: Marvin your answer.
Speaker 8: The New York Jets, they don't have a head coach or GM.
Speaker 3: I still believe if Rex Ryan wants the job, they should If anybody wants that job, they should give him that job. Like, here's what I worry about. Aaron Glenn defensive coordinated with the Lions. I fear that he might get the job and it's a mess for him. You know, you get this opportunity Gerrod Mayo. I don't know if he gets another head coaching job. I just don't know. And like when is he going to be ready?
Speaker 2: The Patriots said he's five years in waiting, but he wasn't ready.
Speaker 3: Is he ever going to be ready? You get an opportunity and then you're done. It feels like if you don't take advantage of it with certain candidates. Certainly minority candidates will tell you they don't get a second chance. It's really difficult to get a second chance. But Aaron Glenn is probably going to be a head coach next year. This is another thing with the Lions. So the Lions are on the clock now. They do have all of their big time players under contract, but you're going to lose your offensive and defensive coordinators. The Eagles did that when they went to the Super Bowl and they didn't make the playoffs the next year.
Speaker 2: I don't think, but you know this happens with success.
Speaker 3: That it's where owners go, well, why don't we just take that guy? He was successful there, We'll take that guy. Well, that guy is successful because he's coaching those players, as opposed to coming in to coach your players. That's the big difference, being able to draft, being smart with your money, and finding your quarterback, like you got to have those things going into a job. Now, who is my GM? How well do we draft? I always go back to this with the Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: The Browns got sixty eight draft picks, and I go, but they can't draft. They're terrible at drafting. Doesn't matter how many picks they have, they were terrible. By the way, former Cleveland brown Brady Quinn will join us a little bit later. Rue, all right, so Marvin, you got the Jets, Paulie the head coach less team furthest away from the Super Bowl.
Speaker 7: I can't pick the Titans. I'm flirting with the Bears here, not so much that they're bad, which they are. I don't know how they get out of that division in the next two years, Like the next two years, reaching the top of that division and getting eleven wins for a wild card seems really impossible due to the state of the other three teams.
Speaker 2: I think I'm with seating though New Orleans.
Speaker 7: They don't seem like they're going anywhere, and they are not bad enough to get new players.
Speaker 2: Wait, you're just on the Bears.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna stay with the Bears because of their situation. Okay, yeah, that's what I thought. Well, I was flirting with the Bears. I think you just like mentioning the Bears. Well, this is not a good way to mention them.
Speaker 3: Well, no, there hasn't been any good way to mention the Bears. They've you know, just the inaptitude. Ineptitude is and it's not just like year to year, it's like decade to decade, it feels like. But I still think that they have there's great promise there. Yes, you're in a tough division, but it's kind of like being in the AFC West. You know, Denver made the playoffs, Chargers made the playoffs.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's weird for the Bears then, is that they might be furthest from the super Bowl, but they're probably top two best jobs available.
Speaker 2: Yeah, might be the best job of it. They might be the best job.
Speaker 6: Available, but button might not be close to the super Bowl.
Speaker 3: At the same time, I would say the Jets right now, just because like ownership, you start there and ownership just sounds like a mess. You know, you got kids that are involved in the situation here, how involved? You know these are young kids? And then I don't know what I have a quarterback? You had guys who felt like they didn't want to be there, played like they didn't want to be there. DeVante Adams, do you want him back? Garrett Wilson want to be back?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: There's just too many questions there and they never get it right. I mean about last time they got it right was with Rex Ryan where they made a couple of AFC title game appearances.
Speaker 8: But it.
Speaker 3: I need to know who is my owner involved? How involved? And you know, then you got to start to look at who's my quarterback? All these things that every job you should have a checklist to go in and go, Okay, can I succeed here?
Speaker 2: Do I just want a job? Or can I succeed?
Speaker 3: Jacksonville is tricky because I thought that was the playoff team. I thought they'd win the division and Trevor Lawrence and you know, this is one of those next year like guys are going to be on the clock like, okay, let's see what you got. But you know he's already got the contract. So that's the Now we've seen that these on tracks, these players can be traded. But that's a big number there. You went all in on him, and I thought that they were going to have a good year offensively. When you say, man, Jacksonville had two Pro Bowl players and it's the long snapper and the punter. Okay, and I'm going to guess that they had a lot of opportunity to showcase their talents because they weren't good good all right, So we have a poll question here. Would I would say the Jets are a mess? I'd say they're really far away Jacksonville. I just don't. I don't know. I never I thought I had a handle on him this year, and I didn't. Who's going to be surprised this weekend? Will there be a surprise this weekend in the NFL? Has to be one if you were going to pick one surprise, Well, Todd let's take Denver out of it. Unless you think Denver is really going to beat Buffalo, that to happen.
Speaker 5: But of all the games, it would be silly, I think for me, of all the games to pick that.
Speaker 2: Okay, so who would you pick?
Speaker 5: I'm going to say that the Rams on Monday night at home will take down Sam Arnold and the Vikings. They won't be able to shake off that loss against the Lions. That is going to carry over into that game.
Speaker 2: Satan, give me your upset.
Speaker 6: Are we flirting with a road team most likely to win Pole?
Speaker 11: Question?
Speaker 2: Well, the Vikings are on the road. Yeah, the Rams are underdogs. But like Jaden Daniels and the Commanders at Tampa Bay Hot Hot, Chargers at the Texans. But the Chargers are favored, Packers at Eagles. Yeah, I don't know. Without Christian Watson, that's tough. Who's your pick um?
Speaker 6: It's definitely not Broncos at Bills.
Speaker 8: WHOA, I'll just throw that in there.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's gonna happen.
Speaker 6: Chargers are favored over the Texans even though they're on the road. I might say the Packers Packers, Okay, all right, Eagles, Marvin, give me your upset.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna go Commanders over Bucks.
Speaker 2: You, Jade and Daniels all in, Paulie.
Speaker 7: I'm also going Commanders over Bucks. The Bucks have had to slip this year, too many close ones.
Speaker 2: I'm going to check. There were the team you didn't want to see in the playoffs. There simultaneously you don't want to see the Buccaneers in the playoffs. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 3: I'm going to take the bronc No, I'm not taking the Oh, Nick, let's right. I'm going to call it Broncos upset the Buffalo Bills. How's that time?
Speaker 5: That would be fantastic. So what happened last year? They kicked the field goal? They missed it, there was a penalty again?
Speaker 2: Wait is it? Is it them?
Speaker 5: They good? Nine year stretch of no playoffs? This is big?
Speaker 2: Okay, what about the Steelers? If the Steelers win this game? Double digit underdogs, and I want to talk to Chase Daniel join us next hour about this because there's a lot on the line here When you think about this now, if Mike Tomlin loses again, I don't think anything happens. What if John Harbaugh loses like he's You've had the MVP and you're losing these games. I can pin this on Lamar as well, but this is on John Harball as well. When's the last time?
Speaker 3: I mean, they haven't won many playoff games in the last what six years? Seven years? Make the playoffs, but they haven't won. Russell Wilson's future is attached to this field. If he pulls off this win, Russ is probably back.
Speaker 2: Yes, Ma, He's.
Speaker 8: Also signing a contract on a car in a parking lot too, You.
Speaker 2: Think so right after the game? Yes, Ton?
Speaker 5: What if the Steelers win and it's a sloppy game and it's because the Ravens had a couple of fumbles, Lamar Jackson threw a couple of picks and Russell did just enough to get them one point or two more and it really had nothing to do with what Russell did wildly in that game.
Speaker 8: How do we feel?
Speaker 5: How do we feel about Russ?
Speaker 2: Can you walk me through that scenario?
Speaker 5: If the Steelers win, If the Steelers win, almost steel has win in spite of Russell Wilson. It's more because of the Ravens playing poorly. What do we say of Russell Wilson's future in Pittsburgh?
Speaker 3: I once again, I don't know if the Russ is the long term. I think Justin Field is going to play a role in this game, but I don't know if Russ doesn't look good. How long has it been since Mike Tomlin has had a court is it you go back to Ben? Is that when he's really had a quarterback? Now, I know he's involved in this. It's not like he just walks in after the draft and goes, who did we get? Hey, you know, we got Jimmy Lipper, Like he's involved in this. But they've had some bad quarterbacks they've had. They've had a lot of backup quarterbacks who have been starting quarterbacks for them. Yes, ply, the.
Speaker 7: Last time the Steelers had a Pro Bowl quarterback was Ben in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's been well, probably last time they won a playoff game.
Speaker 2: Has it been that long?
Speaker 7: The last time they won a playoff game? The Steelers? Yeah, twenty sixteen. D what about the Ravens checking. Yeah, let me take a break here.
Speaker 3: We got our play of the day coming up, and I have the odds for MVP, Coach of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year.
Speaker 2: I got the favorites for those awards have that for you. Coming up after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 7: Wapp Oh my God, the Hunter.
Speaker 10: Lips I got it play. This is the play of the day.
Speaker 2: Shut this out, callier.
Speaker 10: It's deflected by Daniels Sexton for the time.
Speaker 2: Oh Hawks don't have.
Speaker 1: A top out, pray tough talk to.
Speaker 3: Day. That's courtesy of fan Duels Sports Network Southeast. They just figured it was going into overtime and Trey Young look comfortable from half court. It's your play of the day. By the way, He's not shooting that well this year, Budd. He is dishing out assists at a record pace. Since the start of the twenty twenty twenty one season, there have been eight games in the NBA which a player had at least twenty points in twenty assists. Trey Young has had half of those. The last player to have three or more games in a season with twenty points twenty assists John Stockton. That was back in nineteen eighty nine. This isn't happening. This doesn't happen. People don't care about passing getting assists. He's averaging twelve assists. Now, this isn't fifteen assists like John Stockton had I think one or two years. But this is kind of the equivalent of a guy who is finding his teammates. And the Hawks should be better. Like I've watched them twice. They have talent. I just don't know if they're ever going to be an elite team.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: When they went to the Eastern Conference Finals a couple of years ago, I thought, all right, all right, Trey Young. I just don't know if you build around a guy who's built like that, a point guard and he's put up, you know, good numbers, I just I don't know. I watch them and I keep waiting, are they going to make that next step?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 3: Cleveland made the next step, Oklahoma City made the next step. Least we see these teams who do this. There's others that are just sort of mired in mediocrity and they kind of can't get out of their own way.
Speaker 11: Yes, Marv, the Hawks making it to the conference finals that year was kind of like the Pacers where in five years you'll say they got to the Eastern Like the Utah Jazz with Darren Williams got to the Western Conference Finals one year, and I'm like, they did. That's you know, that seems like that's that's what that was.
Speaker 3: Play of the Day brought to you by Express Employment Professionals from contract placements to full time hires. They've got you covered. Visit expresspros dot com today. Let them handle your hirings so you can focus on growing your business.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 3: I mentioned these are the DraftKings odds, NFL MVP odds. This guy is a little bit more of a favorite than I thought. Josh Allen, then it's Lamar, then it's Saquon Barkley. It's minus four point fifty for Josh Allen, it's plus three twenty for Lamar Jackson. It's plus eight thousand for Saquon Barkley. But if Barkley broke the record, what would his odds be? Because he's playing for the team that has you know, they're the number two seed in the NFC. NFL Coach of the Year Sean Payton no Dan Campbell, no Kevin O'Connell, Yes, NFL Defensive Player of the Year.
Speaker 2: TJ. Watt No Trey Hendrickson of the Bengals. No Patrick yeah, do say that. Oh yeah, I think Patrick.
Speaker 3: Sir TAM's going to be the NFL defensive player there, Kevin o'conne will be the coach of the Year, and Josh Allen will certainly be igniting discussion for a couple of weeks when he's named MVP if that happens. And look, I understand this, like, I don't people think I'm playing favorite.
Speaker 2: I don't play favorites. My job is to analyze.
Speaker 3: Lamar Jackson has been wonderful when he's been on the show, Josh Allen, Like, I don't factor that in and go, boy, that guy should win because he's nice to me. I can root for somebody or be happy somebody got something, but I don't sit there like Joel Embiid when he won the MVP. He had the numbers, but he wasn't better than Joker. He wasn't a better player, but he got the MVP. Okay, if Lamar wins it, great, three time MVP.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 3: He certainly put up the numbers, and I think it's unfair when we go, Okay, want MVP. Now, let's see what you do in the plan. By the way, the Ravens did win their opening Round game last year against the Texans. But I don't think they have a long history here in the last six or seven years postseason success at least, I don't think so. So you got Tomlin and Harbaugh, and you got these two quarterbacks and they're different things at stake. And I'll talk to Chase Daniel coming up here in a little bit. You know, with Lamar, it's just all right, what are you going to do in the postseason? With Russ, it's you better do something in the postseason to keep your job. Mike Tomlin another one and done. You're a ten point underdog. Like, that's what's interesting. This is a rivalry game is this is the rivalry in the NFL. It's the last rivalry. They're ten point underdogs.
Speaker 2: Dang. These are teams that are really familiar with one another, and you're a ten point underdog. Crazy, all right, So we'll talk to Chase Daniel. Come up next down Sean and Florida. Hi, Sean, what's on your mind?
Speaker 4: Hey, good morning, Dan, and gentlemen, try a click stat.
Speaker 8: Of the day.
Speaker 4: And then I had a part of the face bet if you're interested in hearing that out last night when the Florida Gators beat number one Tennessee. It was the largest margin of defeat for a number one team in fifty seven years since the nineteen sixty eight Final Four. And I also made Florida Gators the only basketball and football team to beat the number one ranked team by thirty points. The football team was the Seminoles. And then a little quick part of the face bet I was going to throw it out to James and Virginia. Paully and Pauli and Marvin also picked the commanders. I wanted to see if anybody wanted to. I'll take the bucks. Anybody else takes the commanding.
Speaker 3: On the Buccaneers are at home. That's not going out on a limb. Come on, that's a pie worthy