Speaker 1: Late fifteen ten touched up.
Speaker 2: What's Up, guys, Welcome into a brand new episode of Chargers Weekly. Chris Hayrey here with you, along with the Voice of the Chargers Matt money Smith and Buddy. First, I just want to say that Jesse Mitzer interview last week was awesome. It was good man, next level football conversation and just a really detailed breakdown of this incoming defensive draft class. I loved it.
Speaker 1: Thanks man, Yeah, and a huge thanks to Josh and Ricky and everyone over there for helping out. And that's just the first. You know, we're gonna get coach Roman, We're gonna get Coach Ficken, so we'll get all the coordinators in there, and you know, they kind of laid out our schedule with everything kind of ramping up and getting rolling now Phase two and rookie camp and all that that's happening this week. It's exciting we get you know, we have football back. It's back, and you certainly got that cent at the facility and talking to coach and bringing in the draft class and getting excited about getting his hands on these guys and coaching them up. So it certainly feels different. I felt like these last couple of weeks, Chris, It's it's had a different feel the Chargers weekly, Like, yeah, we're we're kind of back in this thing. Man, it's the off season, but it's not, you know what I mean, Like it's not the off season anymore. Like stuff's happening.
Speaker 2: Stuff's happening. Especially next week too. We have the schedule release next week, and if I'm not mistaken, I think Joe Ortiz is going to join the program next week too. So you mentioned the coaches, we'll get the GM next week to talk about some of these rookies and undrafted free agents, and you know, obviously I think top of mind this weekend is a rookie mini camp and I got a bunch of questions that we'll go through over the next hour or so. But just kind of your thoughts on rookie mini camp this upcoming weekend and maybe a couple of guys that you're excited to see out there on the grass.
Speaker 1: Well, I think just starts with the number one pick, you know, with with Amarion and what he looks like, because he's you know, there's guys that you want getting off the bus first, and a Marion is one of those guys. The way he's built, how well he moves at that size, it's going to be fun to see him out there. And you know, we remember we were out on the field last year, Chris at training camp, and it was funny just to see jk and and Gus standing next to each other and you're like, yeah, they come in different sizes, and you know, Lamaran's in the Gus mold, only he's got that explosive athleticism to go with with that kind of size. So that's going to be fun. I think kind of, you know, skill position players are the ones that are always sort of the most fun to look at just because of how different you can be built and still operate at a high level. You know, Trey Harris and Keandrey Lambert Smith, they're going to look totally different standing next to each other. But at the same time, that's you know, just kind of what's the And I'm sure there's questions, so I don't want to jump the gun here, but you know, what's the makeup of that wide receiver room? You know that'd be and yeah, it's exciting. I think the undrafted free agents, you know, we've talked about him before, but Steve Oclott seeing him get out there, you know, having an actual fullback, being a team that wants to bring in a full back and get a look at that is going to be great as well.
Speaker 2: We have a UDFA question in our mail bag today too, but let's just get right into him first. One is from Noami Money. Georgie said on the Up and Adams Show that they are still looking to add to all position groups. What is one position group that you both think is not obvious to us fans that needs more at tension, more additions rather, who would you like to see added to the group? I'll start with you, man, what do you think?
Speaker 1: Well, I think just kind of trying to build out the fifty three and thinking about how many backs, wide receivers, tight ends O line, and I feel like those are all full. You know, like we're going to be talking about guys that you wouldn't think around the bubble that are probably on the bubble in all and each of those groups. I know a lot of people are thinking about the lack of addressing the interior offensive line, but man, they got a lot of guys there, you know, I mean, you're talking about the guys they signed in James brought back Bozeman Zion Trey played guard last year, like, so they're pretty well covered there. They brought in back in So like that's one that I think people would think is the obvious answer. I just pulled up the r lads. Like, to me, it's probably Corner. I think Corner would be the one if there's a just you know, I think because to me, that's based on the deals they signed, right the deal that they signed for Dante Jackson, for Benjamin Saint just and then you know they draft those guys at the back end and Mickens and try Bridges, but those are special teams guys. You know, that's that's kind of where they're going to be. So that might be I think that might be the one that I could see having, you know that I could see them doing something with. How about you?
Speaker 2: I was gonna say that the Edge group just for the sole reason that that Joey's gone, and I think if you can add a seasoned vet to that room. You know, obviously, listening to to Jesse talk about Canard and just his production at South Carolina, you're hoping that he makes an immediate impact. And we know about Touley and Khalil obviously and Bud. But you know there's some guys like Zadaria Smith, von Miller, Matthew Judon. Judon was a raven, you know, so Joe Ortiz has familiarity with him. So I'm thinking of just like like a veteran in kind of the same mold of Bud Dupree last year when they got Bud, I think post draft and a veteran that you can maybe count on throughout the course of a seventeen game season that doesn't have to play a ton, but can it kind of add that veteran leadership to the room. And there are some guys out there now, I do think that over.
Speaker 1: The next couple of mourners out there still right, aren't there? I felt the same way kind of about because like it's interesting, right, you still got Amari Cooper and Gabe Davis just got cut, and Keenan Allen's out there, Agalore's out there. I mean, you still got dudes out there at at wide receiver. That's probably the one that's that's got I mean, well you look in teior line and you got Brandon Scherff still out there. You know, Will Hernandez, Jack Mason. I mean there's guys that are veterans, but and you.
Speaker 2: Mentioned that he's surprising to me, Money Sheriff is surprising because he's been he's been pretty durable, like you know, pro Bowl caliber guard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean look at corners, right, obviously we know a Sante junior, but Rasoul Douglas, Mike Hilton, Steph Gilmore, Kendall Fuller, Like there's a lot of dude Jack Jones there, you know, all with different issues, but like, to me, that's one where I could totally see them, you know, plucking a guy on a on a low number and you know they just like the culture, want to work with Clink and coach Minner and coach Clink and coach Minner and and Harbaugh, and I could I could see that being one.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of the I think the points you brought up to Jesse about just kind of using that that recruiting chip to use Puna Ford as that example of like, hey, you know, we can we can get you your next deal here, we can develop you, we can maximize your potential. And I think at this stage in free agency, guys are looking for that, right they're on the streets right now for a reason, and you know, they want to go into a program where you can develop and maybe get that next contract, whether it's with the Chargers or somewhere else. And I think that they have proven with guys like Fulton and Ford and you know, Elijah getting that deal, that this is a program that can really maximize your potential. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think for the free agents too, it's you got to remember that's a two way street. So they're going to be looking at all of their potential opportunities and probably an incentive laden contract and where am I going to have the best shot to win a job? Or I can get my snaps, I can work on getting my production. And if I'm signing a low base number with you know, a couple million bucks and incentives like that's you know, how do I get those incentives by getting on the field. And I think when you look at the corner room, think about the injury to you know, the reason that Cam was dealing with last year, and then you look at the deals that were signed in Saint Jus and Jackson and you're like, okay, I could I could pop in there, and I feel like I get a real fair shake at at getting some meaningful snaps and maybe even earning an outside you know or you know, in an outside corner slot starting position. If things really work.
Speaker 2: Out, sure it makes a ton of sense. And then some of these veterans, you know, some of these guys want to win a ring and they're looking for the best situation where they can actually contend for a Super Bowl, and I think some Vets may view the Chargers as one of those teams. Let's move on here to Forest Price. Obviously, there are Bolts fans all over the world. We have the Diehard Bolt Club, Bolt Pride that are passionate about our beloved Chargers. How do you think the club interacts with its out of state fans and what do you think could be done to bring us closer to you? Well, it's a good question. I see Chargers fans at all these away games. We do a segment on CBS Bolts on Road and a couple of times, I think it was Denver and Vegas, maybe a couple other places. There are these these fan clubs that are from Denver or from Las Vegas, and they are there for the game. So I do think that the team does as much as they possibly can, and these these opposing markets, we obviously feel the love. I know, like I remember Arizona a couple of years ago, Bunny where they had won in the last second and it felt like the entire State Farm Stadium was filled the powder blue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, now in twenty twenty five, it's a lot easier for people to do it on their own, right. You can get that word out through social media and everybody can meet up somewhere. I think the one challenge is, you know, it's it's a business trip, and it's an incredibly important business trip for the Chargers, so it's hard for them to be like, hey, yeah, we'll come out on a Friday night and bring a player with us. Like that's not going to happen. These guys have a regimented schedule, meetings, treatment, meal, curfew, know, Friday and Saturday. So it's not like they're just kind of hanging out and running around town. It's it's a full on, forty eight hour in out, win a football game, stay healthy, get home. So as far as the front off, you know, like the as far as like the folks that do social media, those departments and community interaction, Yeah, I suppose there's stuff, and I'm always happy, you know. I always try to engage before we go out somewhere. If if we can find someone's like, oh I'll be here, We'll be there. Like you said, Chris, we always walked the field before and chat with folks. But in terms of setting up an official event, I think it's harder. Like when we went to when we went to England, right, we had that huge Chargers party with like four thousand people because it was it was on like Thursday, you know, we didn't play till Sunday. I think that was Thursday night if I remember right. So it's like, yeah, that works. You know, you can get away with that because you've got three days before or you're actually kicking off and playing a football game.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I remember in Mexico City too, we had that awesome fan party. It was great. I'm sure Brazil will be similar in week one, but it's it's just it is fun to see Charger fans in different parts of the country, and it's great fascinating to see how many there are in certain parts of the country too. They go down to like South Florida or Arizona. Always a lot of powder Blue. So let's go to Jake, Jake Karence. What's taking the Rashawn extension so long to get sorted out and what are the chances of the NFL giving US Rams Chargers in Australia next year. Well, the schedule lines up as the Chargers of the Road team, so it's certainly one of the possibilities. It'd be pretty funny and ironic that the two teams playing it's so by going to Australia. But the Rashawn I don't know about you, buddy, I'm not really worried about the Rashawn Slater extension. He's one of the best left tackles in football. I think Joe Ortiz and company are well aware of that, and I'm sure that will get sorted out.
Speaker 1: When it gets sorted out, Yeah, you know, it's Look, it's probably going to be a market changing deal, right, he sees an all pro and when you're at that level, typically what your agent wants is I mean, look, I think it's a tough position for both sides. Right, You've got market setting deals, you've got a salary cap that took a huge jump, and you've got now players that are making a much larger percentage of the cap than we had just last year, Like the Jamar Chase deal just dwarfed the previous wide receiver deal. So I think that's so you have agents and that's their job that say, Okay, well here's the percentage that the top wide receiver is taking. And if we look at what the top wide receiver had when Tristan Wurst signed his deal, this is what he got. So now the deal isn't twenty eight, it's thirty two. And I think when you're in Ed maguire and Georg t situations like, well, yeah, but the top deal is still you know, twenty nine, and that's hard to get around. It's, you know, when you're talking about that much money and then one side wants still a couple million more, it just gets tricky. Do I feel great about it? I don't. I wish it were done already because I just feel like Rashan's the kind of guy that would just say, hey, man, just get it done. Like you know, he and Herbert are so close. I feel like he loves it here, and I would assume just kind of knowing, you know, you look at Baltimore and the fact that they had Jonathan Ogden for all those years they now just you know, everybody thought Ronnie Stanley was going to get out of the building and sign a massive deal with New England because they had all that money in need of the left tackle, and they were like, absolutely not, You're not going anywhere. So it's he comes from an organization where offensive line is incredibly important. It's a head coach that has preached offensive line is a weapon, tip of the spear, and it's like, okay, you know this, let's figure this out. Man. I So I don't know, but I would assume that that's the hang up is it's a few million bucks because of the big jump in cap the huge jump in wide receive. You know, non quarterback salaries took a massive jump this year with Miles Garrett and with Jamar Chase, and because that happened, it changes the economics. And I'm sure each side is kind of digging in like, no, this is sorry, man, this is the business of the NFL, and this is how we do it. And you've got one side and Rashaan and his agent that are you know, holding that number according to that calculus, and then you've probably got Joe Ortiz and Ed and that front office that are saying, well, you know, this is a little more in line with with where he is. Look at what fill in the blank, you know, Werf's and Williams and all these guys are making and I think that's how you get hung up. But remember this happened with Joey, this happened with Derwin, like and those were market setting deals, right, Joey became the highest paid non quotquarterback in the league. Derwin became the highest paid safety by a pretty good margin. And it took a minute, and so I think it's probably just going to take a minute.
Speaker 2: Also, there's no urgency right now, you know, with training camp and those types of deadlines. I think Breed a little bit more urgency because you want the guys in camp. But for Shawn right now, he's a proven commodity, you know who he is. If he misses some time in the off season, then it is what it is. But I do think that once training camp gets closer and then you think about this, this is another reason why you know, you look at free agency, why there wasn't this spending spree by the Chargers, Like they know that they have to pay for Shaun Slater. They know that they have to eventually pay Derwin James his next deal, So I do think that all that figures in. I just I can't see a guy that is that good at a position that coach Harball values so much ever leaving Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I'm with you. I just it doesn't make sense. It doesn't make sense. You've got Justin Herbert's your quarterback. The last thing you want to do is is have an issue with his left tackle, of course, And you know what, I'll be honest, like, I considering how much flux there is at those two positions center and left guard, Like, I think you got to get him in there, man, Like, this is not a guy you want missing. You want to get all five of those guys so you can figure out, you know, like George, he's has talked about, you know, we were just going to play the best five. He's like guard tackle. That was kind of what they preached last year, right with Trey, and is he going to be your right guard? And he's like, they like, we just want the best five. So if you're going to be working through all those combinations, I'm sure you know that that they're gonna want to They're gonna want to get that. They're gonna want to do it with Rashawan. You know, they want to figure out who slots in best next to him, if Zion's moving to center. Like, there's so many moving parts just with those two positions that I think having Rashawn in there is it's got to be a you know, coach dev and coach Hardwick. I'm sure like, come on, guys, let's let's get this sort of out.
Speaker 2: You want that time on task, especially in training camp with those starting five guys, whoever they're going to be. All right, let's go to Peter Padre. From your perspective, where does Herbert need to improve? Understanding he needs to help around him, where he can stand to where can he stand to improve? I struggle between games like the Raiders four years ago where he put the team on his back and the Houston playoff loss. So I was thinking about this one, buddy, and I heard Porties in Hardball loud and clear after that playoff loss and really kind of going into the off season, and really their actions have done the talkies like we need to give Justin Herbert more help, and they did that with Harris and Hampton in the backfield, and drafting Trey Harris and bringing back Mike Williams and adding Tyler Conklin and Makai Becton to kind of further boltster that offensive line.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Herbert, like anybody, probably needs to improve. But I just he's so good and he had a tough playoff game in Houston and the only other playoff game he's been in Jacksonville, there have twenty seven nothing could run the football in the second half. So it's hard for me to say exactly where Justin can improve. I'd like to just see year two of Jim Harball with this running game that was I think according to PFF twenty ninth in the NFL last year. They've completely remade it, and I think that's gonna help Justin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look at this point, if we're talking about what can he improve, we're picking nets, right. Yeah, he's incredible and he's created everything. And I know that sounds like, Oh, it's the Chargers Weekly podcast, so of course they're going to say that. So yeah, if you want me to pick something, it's running the ball. It's you know, I think a lot of times when you see him at that mesh point. I feel like there's been some real opportunity for him to pull it, keep it and go, and I'd love to see more of that. I think that's to me, that's it, Like that's truly the only thing I've always talked about, the quarterback sneak. But I think some some quarterbacks are with it, some don't like it, which I totally understand. I've said that repeatedly. You know, I know there's some folks out there that that view it as mandatory. I don't, just because I've talked to quarterbacks and I kind of know what, you know, what they what they say about that play and what a pain in the ass it can be, and how much pounding you're taking when you get in there because guys are getting the tee off on you and taking free shots on you. So I get that part of it. But yeah, I think if I had a point to one thing, it's like, yeah, those on those mesh point, on those options, I'd love to see him just kind of keep it, you know, and just to get the defense on their heels a little bit more. I feel like he can he can set that tone of hey man, I'm gonna run, so you better be ready for it, and you better know that that's coming. I think you just need to set that tone early just to sort of help get the defense off kilter a little bit and have them thinking about it the whole game.
Speaker 2: That was the most surprising part of that Wildcard game. Zero rushing attempt zero from Justin Herbert. And I go back to that Christmas game when the Ravens played the Texans, and in Lamar right from the beginning, just running all over the Texans and not having that element to your offense I think certainly hurt the Chargers. So his ability and I just go back to his Rose Bowl victory and just running all over the field in that game. He's super bowl super capable of it, especially in a Greg Roman offense. So yeah, running the football I think would be a nice wrinkle more consistently in twenty twenty five, for sure. All Right, let's see here, money, let's keep this thing rolling, Angel Lira, what will be the starting O line combination in Week one of the season and what will be the starting GO line combination in week seventeen? Good question, Angel, I hope it's the same, right, you hope it's the same. I think All and Slater are pretty much locked in. I think Mackai Beckon at right guards pretty much locked in. And then we have I think a lot of competition at center and left guard, with Zion potentially moving to center. The addition Andre James Boseman, you have Trey Pipkins in the mix. Still, what do you think.
Speaker 1: I think it's going to be the same, just backed in replacing Trey. To me, that's what it is because that allows Trey to be that swing, you know, to go back to tackle if needed. Hopefully he's not, but if he's needed like he did last year. You know when when Slater went down and All went to the left side and he popped up, I think he played the right tackle that day if I remember right. So I think that makes to me, that's just what it looks like. That's so why they brought Bradley Boseman back. They like him. Everybody on the team loves him. We talk about the makeup of an O line room and how important it is to have those guys connected and comfortable in chemistry. And while I know the pass protection was a bit of a struggle, especially in that Houston Texans game, with Jamari there at right guard. I think that's just the way it lines up. Even though they didn't pick up Zion's fifty year option and they've talked about trying him at center. I just he would really have the wow coach Devln and Hardwick and Greg Roman and Harbaugh to take that center spot, I think away from Bozeman because now you're moving two guys. Now you're moving Boseman to guard and or maybe you know, maybe it's Zion at center and Trey at left guy. I just don't like to me, it just makes too much sense draft capital wise, how highly they think of Zion and they're just like, man, it's just it's so close, it's so close. Can we just get it to that finish line?
Speaker 2: How close do you think the gap is between Bozeman and Andre James, who has sixty starts in the NFL too, And you know, over the last three years, actually four years, seventeen starts, fifteen starts, sixteen starts, eleven starts in Vegas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's tough because you look two years ago and I know he graded out a lot better. Last year was an abject failure for pretty much the Raiders offense. Period, So it's kind of hard to stick that on somebody. But at the same time, it's not a bad offensive line group. And you know, he really struggled last year, so I think that's I would be very surprised if he were able to beat Bozeman out. I think, you know, if you go out and you sign Ryan Kelly for ten million bucks, it's like, yeah, he's getting the starting job. But I think you look at Andre James and he was released by released by the Raiders, and the Chargers gave him a very low, veteran minimum level deal. You know, it's not it's not a you know, it helps to look at the money, like how much did they give him? And is it like out here, let me pull up the OTC right now he is. He is making one point one million dollars. Uh. So it's not a deal that says, oh yeah, this guy's coming in to compete for that job. I mean at one point one, let's see what's because Bradley, I think got he got a two year deal. So I'm guessing that Bradley got CANSI yeah, Bradley's he's at one two, five to five base. But so he's at he is at five million dollar cap number this year, right, that's his cap number. Andre James is one point one. What does that tell you? You know that that tells you that competitors welcome. Yeah, that that Bradley's probably ahead of the game there for for center, and I think Zion is going to play. They've got it. They've invested a first round picking him. He's had flashes of greatness and he struggled mightily. But because you have both ends of that spectrum, they're trying to get him, you know, toward that that greatness that we've seen at times. So that's just that's what I figure.
Speaker 2: We've We've addressed most of this question, but I'll just ask this one. This is from Mario. Does it worry you that we haven't fully addressed the interior offensive line, which was clearly a major issue last season. Beckton was a great signing, but that's one of three needs. Should he be out for a game, we're right back to where we started.
Speaker 1: That's fair. Yeah, I certainly think it's fair. Look that Beckton signing was fantastic. It's a huge signing. So you know you're not talking about and I thought Trey played okay last year. Look, Trey could end up if it's possible that he wins that guard spot. You know, he played okay, you know, he played all right, and that's what you needed offensive line. You just can't have bad. That's the thing. If you have bad, they're going to find it and they're going to attack it relentlessly. All you need when you have excellence great because now you can find a way to help where you don't have excellence. So you know, DJ says it all the time, as long as you know, and to use a term that he has, he's like, as long as you don't have a tomato can, you're fine. But if you have one, that's when you got a problem. If you can, you don't need to be exceptional at all five positions. You just got to be good enough. And when you have Alton Slater at the edges, you're exceptional there and that certainly helps a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's a lot to ask, you know, Branson Taylor to come in and compete at one of those guard spots in year one, and the fact that they didn't really address interier offensive line in the draft, it makes you look at some of these free agents, and we mentioned Brandon Sheriff Shaq Mason, will Hernandez Dalton Reisner. You know there's guys out there still, But to your point earlier, are they going to come in and actually compete and beat out the guys that are currently on this roster?
Speaker 1: I just you know, I look at the combined nine million bucks between Bozeman and Zion. You know, five million for Bozeman is his cap number this year. Four point six for Zion is his cap number for this year. Like that to me, says, okay, there's your center in your guard. You know, Mackay at seven and a half million, obviously old seven and a half million, Slater at nineteen million. They're sure you know those are the top five offensive line salary numbers.
Speaker 2: Just that's what it looks like to me. Yeah, all right, let's keep it rolling. This is from Nuthouse. What a great name. QJ. Going to be better next year, Gonna be putting a role where he's going to excel. I say, his stats will suffer because there's more cooks in the kitchen, but he will look even better than last year. Raiders game was not an outlier. I tend to agree with with Nuthouse and the fact that he was I think relied upon a little bit too much last year. And with the additions of Trey Harris and Mike Williams, maybe Q can settle into a role where he kind of has a specialty role in this offense and isn't look to do maybe more than he I guess I just feel like this past year money he was asked to do maybe a little bit too much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, I've said it, and it's not a slight He's just not an X. That's not what Q is. You know. Q's a Z. He's a good see, you know, and if you can get him, you know, when you have Mike, that's who I think you're starting three will be. Michael be the X, you know, Mike Williams, that'll be your slot. Q will be the Z. And considering you know Mike's age, Mike's history, You've got Trey Harris ready to take some of those reps and if something should happen to step in because Trey's an X, you know. Now the interesting one is KeAndre Lambert Smith with that four to three speed makes it interesting as a Z. Get him outside if he's able to get off press. Now you got four to three speed running down the field and that helps a lot. I mean, so I totally get and I think that's kind of where the conversation sort of comes in with how does this wide receiver room get built. I don't think there's any question with the chemistry and the production that Mike Williams and Justin Herbert have had in the past, that he's going to be your starting X, you know, no question about it. And Ladd obviously is going to be your starting slot, and Q, I think will be your starting Z. And then you look behind him, you know that Darius Davis and Trey Trey Harris and and Andre Lambert Smith are going to make the team. So they're six. Now how many wide receivers are carrying, you know, And that's where it gets kind of interesting with and Rice and you know, Jalen Johnson and some of these guys that you know, you think about last year with Simmy and and dudes that we thought were on the roster bubble that made it, and you know, this year, it doesn't feel like that at all. It feels like, Okay, it's it's it's it's a pretty it's a deep room and it's gonna be you know, it's Jalen Rager. I forgot they resigned Jalen Rager. Like that's it's gonna be tough. It's gonna be a tough room. It's gonna be a tough room to crack and make the fifty three good money.
Speaker 2: I always go back to Herbert's rookie season and you know we've we've mentioned the names t Billy and Jalen Guy. You wonder how Justin is going to mesh with some of these young rookies immediately. Sometimes it clicks really quickly. Look at lad last year exactly. Look at that, you know with Trey Harris, maybe he gets on the field sooner than later. You mentioned KeAndre and his speed. Uh I love I love the Gats and U pick up. You know we didn't get to do that talk about day three. Gats another kind of athletic tight end that you add to the Disley and Conkland room. And I just I am fascinated to see how Justin will kind of pick up with some of these new guys and how quickly that chemistry starts. And you know the fact that you that you had a whole season with Q in such a feature role last year. I think that will help Quentin in year three as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the other thing too about wide receiver. How often were they in thirteen? I mean it's a team that was running twelve like crazy, you know, like they I should say thirteen. How often were they in eleven? Like how often they have three receivers out there? Like this is a team that was in twelve? You know which is you know, first number backs, second number tight ends. I know all of you probably know it, but for those that don't, that's what it is. So a lot of two tight ends and I mentioned number thirteen, they ran a lot of thirteen where you know, you could argue that Matt Locke or however you want to classify him, you know, or twenty two. You know, if Tucker Fisk is playing fullback, Mattlock's playing fullback, they're running twenty two, they're running thirteen, They're running twelve like that's just what they've run. And with Gadsden, that'll be interesting right where it'll feel like thirteen. But the third tight end is lined up in the slot and he's a dude that can freak and get after it and is an athlete, and so that's there's gonna be some real cool combinations that Greg Roman's going to have to work with, you know, for this, and you think about sort of how he did it in Baltimore, you know, with all those tight ends and how effective they were, And it's gonna be fun. Gadsten's a It's gonna be a fun one, no doubt about it. Now. Look, he's probably not gonna get a ton of snaps because of the Conklent signing and just how good Conklin is, how he's got great hands, and he's certainly a great athletic tight end, you know, a really good athletic tight end. I think he fits perfectly with Fisk and Disley, So he's going to get the majority of those snaps, but it'll be fun to kind of sprinkle those in there from time to time.
Speaker 2: One of the fun themes of the last couple of years with Joe Ortiz, he's identified players with NFL fathers, right with Joe alt in Round one last year and and gas that I remember him as a dolphin. And our next question Mickens. Remember Ray Mickens with the Jets. I this is from Kevin Adrian. I think Nickens is the clear replacement for a low heat when his contract expires this season. I think he's going to get plenty of starting snaps his rookie year and might leap Jefferson on the depth chart. Thoughts, I think the Chargers only roster Ford safeties on their fifty three and twenty four Well, Kevin, I think it starts on special teams for mister Mickens. He's gonna have to kind of earn his way onto the field. And you know, I love the confidence and im and I think I just hearing Jesse talk about him last week, it's it sounds like it's a great signing in the sixth round, But I think it's gonna take a little time to kind of crack that depth chart in the safety room right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean you look at Mickens and you know, in terms of like a replace meant for a looie, I think he's probably better closer to the ball, you know, in terms of but he can do it all like he's but but you started with the perfect way to set the tone is this is this is a Ryan Ficken pick. You know, get me Bridges, get me Mickens. I think Canard in the fourth like these are guys that are going to be special teamers, and they're going to need to replace all these dudes you know that left and they lost. You know when you lose nickname and you're talking about one of the best special teams players in the league loss, And so like, these are the guys that he's going to have to coach up. And you know, Dean Leonard's still there, and you still have Quiet, you still have some guys, but like Chris Rump is gone, and I know he was out all last year, but he loves having that athletic d ND edge kind of player. That's probably where Canard fits in a little bit because of how he's going to be used as as sort of a DPR role as as opposed to a three down lineman. So I would assume he's going to get these They're they're hoping he can be a core four guy. So I think that's where it starts. In terms of Aloe's contract, I think it's don't don't underestimate how important he is to this team and how much this team loves him, and and you know it can't all be sizzle. Aloe's Aloe is is I like to say, you know, he's the grout. You get your focus on the tile, but you also got to have the grout to hold the tile together. And that's what Aloe is man. He just he connects, He connects things really well. He's a smart player, has a nose for the ball as tough as nails. And and so I don't think just I don't think you assume that he's just going to be gone when his contracts up. I think he's a guy that they I could totally see them, you know, unless unless Mackings flashes, you know, unless Bridges flashes. Is you know, like that's that's kind of how these things work.
Speaker 2: Aloe's one of those rare players too, who who translates to another administration.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: He he was drafted by Tom Telesco, and you would have thought that Joe Ortiz and Jim Harball drafted him as high as they think of him on the field and off the field. So I agree with you in terms of a LOHI and his impact in that secondary And and Durwin loves him, and Darwin loves playing with him because.
Speaker 1: I'm always in the right position. So it's a great safety group. I mean, it's it's one of the true strengths of this team is Molden Gilman in Durwin. I mean, it's it's as good as safety trio as you have anywhere in the league. So the idea that you're just going to break that up and Mickens is going to start earning some snaps, Like you're talking about breaking up a group that, if you were to rank them, is right up there at the top. It's not something I would want to see, no, But I.
Speaker 2: Like Kevin's thinking because he's he's looking at the fifth round last year with Cam harton tarhek Still and guys who are playing a lot. But uh, and it's a great one by Kevin because a Lowie gets hurt. You know.
Speaker 1: Lowe has gotten hurt, you know, and missed a game or two every year. So that's that's why it's it's certainly a great point to bring up. You've got to have some depth there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I you know, they lost Elijah in the Patriots game and that was a big blow in the playoff game. So all right, let's keep this rolling. Double M three questions. Who are your guys' top three guesses of the udfas to make the roster? Who would be your surprise cut or trade before the season starts, and who is one trade free agent signing you think the Bolts should make around this time of time of training camp, preseason as far as surprise cut trades, you know, just just looking at how a lot of these contracts are set up. Money, I don't really see unless I'm missing somebody. I don't see a player that's making like a ton of money that that we're going to be like completely shocked if they get cut or if they get traded, Like, I don't see that player on this roster, do you.
Speaker 1: I just yeah, I just would prefer not to answer that. You're talking about somebody losing their job. We're talking about somebody getting fired. So yeah, for me, that's not one I'm gonna to jump into. Just not comfortable doing it, to be honest. And I don't And I'm with you, I don't. I don't know who who that would be. And I just don't see I.
Speaker 2: Don't see it one of those. I don't see one of those like camp cut candidates on the on the roster right now. The we kind of talked about this in terms of a free agent signing that the Bolts should make as training camp gets closer, and I think a lot of that is kind of contingent on injuries and you know what happens in camp and in terms of adding somebody. But if you're going coming in with the clean slate, you know, I mentioned as you mentioned corner before, I don't think that really changes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just the udfas that he talked about, you know, there's always seems like there's always one, you know, or two or something along those lines. Last year, you know, the bell of the ball was Tremon Morris brash that everyone got excited about really flashed. Just kind of going through it to me just based on you know, look, I think about what are the two positions that we talked about, right, Garmin Randolph, who's got a bunch of production, COVID guy, six year edge player, all the measurables, you know, he could flash. And then you know Nico Reid the corner out of Oregon again a ton of experience and a ton of production. And I just kind of look at that position group that and and the special teams. Like I said, Coach Ficken likes corners and he likes those super athletic edge players for special teams as well, so I think it's those two. There's a lot of people that have been asking about Raheem Sanders the running back, and I just I and look, yeah, sure, it's a team that likes to run the ball. But then I just look what's in front of them, you know. I mean, you're talking about Najie Harris and Amari and Hampton and Hassan Haskins. Is you know, their short yardage special teams guy, he's he's a lock for the team. And you know, whatever what they asked him to do last year he was great at So is is Raheem gonna Are they gonna carry four backs?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And a fullback like it? So I don't. And then there's you know, we've we've talked about him a bunch, Steve O. Klatt's you know guy who's played fullback, you know. And I know they love Scott Mattlock and they love his development and he's certainly turned into a heck of a player. But if you have a guy that's been a full back for a couple of years now, I mean, he's a tight end full back hybrid, but he's a dude that likes to mix it up, then that's one that I could see get interesting if they're like ooh's. So those are probably the three. I think Reed, Randolph and Klotts would be the three i'd circle.
Speaker 2: I'll give you one more, Jordan Oladokin a corner from Bowling Green, and these are just kind of I know, the competition isn't the same as the sec of the Big Ten, Big twelve, but one of three quarterbacks in college football who allowed zero touchdowns number two and fewest allowed receiving yards two hund nineteen and an opposing passer rating of eighteen point four plus he took the ball away a bunch, So you never know how that competition is going to translate to the NFL. But again, I just think of that marriage of Jesse Minter and the way he's developed quarterbacks. Maybe he's the guy to watch them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great point. They love production. Right, If you produce, it's clear you know how to play football exactly, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Alex. Do you know if je Ortiz or coach Harbaugh ever listened to Chargers weekly. I don't know. I think they probably have. They probably have better things to do, more important things to do than to listen to us. Bunny though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my answer to that is, I hope not. I'd be it'd be flattering if they did. But I think I don't know. I don't know. If you asked me, would you rather they do or don't, I'd probably answer I'd rather they That would be my answer to that one.
Speaker 2: All right, Ferdie June your two questions, what's going on with Ezekiel Elliott? But nothing Zeke. I remember seeing Zeke in the building the day or two days before the Wildcard game, and Zeke was a signing. If they beat the Texans, maybe you play him in Kansas City. But I just don't know if he has a future on the Chargers this year.
Speaker 1: No, definitely.
Speaker 2: Should we expect to see Brendan Rice on the roster this year? And you kind of went through that, you went through all the wide series. I have him as like why receiver seven right now behind lad Trey, Mike Quintin, KeAndre, Jalen Rieger and Brendon.
Speaker 1: At that point. Yeah, I mean you look at you know, they carried six wide receivers last year. That's that's you know, I'm going let me see only go to nine nine two? Uh, they did carry seven. They had Rice, remember on the roster out of camp, so he broke camp, making it. So in September they had seven, let's go to October, they were down to six November six, December six, January five. So there that's you know, you got the two draft picks that are making it. You got Q. You know what you got Darius. And then the question comes with Darius Davis. You know, as we talked about him last year, had a couple of election plays on the field. He's got blazing speed, He's a great returner. KeAndre Lambert Smith has no special teams experience. You don't want Ladd back there returning punts and kicks and take an extra punishment already, you know beyond what he is. So to me, Darius makes it. So there's your six man, you know, Mike Trey at the X. You got Darius Davis, Lad McConkie, and your two rookies. All right, I already said Trey. So you have Trey Harris, Mike Williams, Lad McConkie, Quinton Darius. And it's my problem. Why am I so stupid? It's like I can't make this easy on myself. Yeah, that's it. It's Darius Davis, Lad McConkie, Tray Harris KeAndre Quinton and Mike there's I mean.
Speaker 2: I didn't even I'd even I think of Darius as like like this offensive weapon. Then I didn't even have it. So yeah, Brenda Rice would be eight.
Speaker 1: Well so you're thinking, oh, you're thinking Brendan as because right, because then you like the next group is Brendan Rice, Jalen Rager, Jalen Johnson. There's your seven eight nine, right, Yeah, you know that's that's your seven eight nine. If you're gonna carry seven, those three guys duking it out. I just especially with the tight ends they're gonna carry. They're gonna carry four tight ends Disley, Conklin, Fisk and Gadsden, they're gonna carry four, you know.
Speaker 2: And then you I was gonna say Brendan was only active for three games last season, three offensive snaps, so yeah, you know, unfortunately doesn't really have any time on task with Justin in a game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but look, he can still jump up and win a gig, no doubt. I just feel like those those two rookies are gonna make it. And when you put those two rookies with the other four, you're at six and it's just it's it's a numbers issue, and nobody plucked him off the practice squad. So you know, if that's where he is and you get a call up and any flashes, then great, here we go.
Speaker 2: Yep, all right, a few more money laser beaming. Now that we know a boy Be has put on some weight, is there any buzz going around about what the significance of his role is going to look like? Seems like a great opportunity for him to step up. That was one of the key takeaways from the pod last week. Is a boy be put on twenty pounds after the season and you know what does coach say? Competitors welcome, you bring in hand, you bring in Jones, a lot of potential opportunity defensive tackle this upcoming year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, it's wide open. You know, it's not like they signed Milt Williams or anything. You know, these are all guys that are going to be competing for that rotation. Obviously Caldwell, I would suspect Is and tier Tart are are going to be in there. But yeah, can a boy be jump ahead at Sean Hann you know Tito kind of how does that all line up? Yeah? I think it's wide open for him to get in there. And you know how much they like to rotate those guys. I mean, think back to last year, you really just kind of had Poona as you're one constant, and then after that it was sort of that rotation of Tito, of Morgan, of you know, Tuley kicking inside it put Joey kicking. It's like they rotated the heck out of that group. Tierra ended up. Remember Tier started the season just getting a couple of snats here and there, and then by the end of the season he was out there all the time. So I think a boyd B is going to be in that mix for sure. Based on what coach said.
Speaker 2: Uh the lago thanks for all the hard work this offseason fellas what was your favorite move of the offseason thus far, whether it's free agency, draft, et cetera, And who has the biggest impact for the team in twenty twenty five? What are you thinking to start? I was just gonna say, o, Marion Hampton, I think that he's that. You know, for for as much as the narrative had been like, hey, let's get justin Herbert weapons, I think Omarin Hampton is going to be the biggest weapon for Justin in terms of the running game, and he reminds me of a Saquon Barkley type and that he can really carry the load in a game, and you know, he's just the total package. So between between him and I think getting a guy like Trey Harrison, I just I think that his potential the first two rounds in the draft really got me excited about the offense.
Speaker 1: Yeah I'm gonna and it's just because I was so convinced it was gonna happen and I for whatever reason, I don't know why, I couldn't have been more wrong. You didn't even get an interview. But I just think the fact that jesse Menter's back, Like I was convinced, I'm like, this guy between college and the NFL is gonna get interviewed and he's so good in the room and he's gonna get a job, And for whatever reason, it didn't line up. So I think having him back for another year after what he did last year man is is huge. I just think it is huge for this team to have that second year and that goes for coach Roman too, like just another year of continuity with both coordinators back, but just what Jesse was able to do with a number of guys on one year deals, Let's drop him in, Like think about all the just the one week of Eli Apple, the one week of Marcus made the like, how good of a job? And that's and it's beyond and I say coach Minner, but it's it's everyone right, the fact that that Clink is back, that Elston's back, that all of the Navarl Bowman are back, like all these guys are back, Chrys O'Leary the safety coach has gone, you know, Fuller's in. But like there's just continuity, man, And I think that goes a long long way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the defense obviously is so important to have that that continuity and that consistency because the turnaround from the year before Harball and mintser guide here to what they did in their first year was just remarkable and really a big reason why they won eleven games this year. Yeah, we talk about it the Harball, the way that they play, It was really the defense because and that's why I say Hampton and I would actually kind of plug in Naje Harrows and Mackai Beckton and that too, is that they are completely trying to remake the running game here, and you know, JK had a really good bounce back year, but collectively that running game just did not look like a Jim Harball running game if you look at his history at Michigan and his time in the NFL with the Niners. I think I mentioned earlier in the podcast, PFF gave him a grade of twenty ninth in the NFL in the running game. So when you bring in Hampton and you bring in Harris, we talked about the durability of both of those guys. Beckton a guy who was a run greater for Sakuon Barkley. That's going to help Justin Herbert. And I think that if you had something like that going into a playoff game in twenty twenty five, maybe that looks a little bit different because they're going to play a different way and they're going to have two guys in the backfield that just don't miss starts. And I think that was that was the biggest thing for me, is bringing a guy like Nauji who has not missed the game in the NFL, and bringing a young guy like Hampton, who, if it wasn't for gent, would be the top running back.
Speaker 1: That's a great point. It's a great point, availability man, because we saw when guys went down it was a real struggle, especially JK. Yeah.
Speaker 2: A couple more This is from Michael. Who do you guys think the opponent will be for the Brazil game? There was some chatter about Mahomes and Chiefs will want to play in it, but I think it's the Texans that makes the most sense. I don't know. I mean, I think Pro Football Talk had a report that it could be the Chiefs potential to the Chiefs, you think it's the Chiefs. Yeah, so you so you would lose that home game in so far and then play Patrick Mahomes in Brazil? Which one.
Speaker 1: It's the way it has to be, you know, Chiefs. Chiefs always get the Chargers on a short week. We go there on a Thursday night. They never you know, It's just just the way it is. And we know that. You know Clark hunt as he's all about that, man, He's all about it. And I think if the NFL, you know, here's the Chiefs, say we'll go like great, let's go. You know that's because that's I believe that's a that's a streaming game. I think or it's a peacock game.
Speaker 2: It's a peacock game, and it's a Friday peacock game that they wanted. They want a big they want a big team next to Herbert and the Chargers for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think that's think about what what Goodell's I'll just just look at the look at the read the tea leaves. You know, what did Goodell say around the draft? He said, you know, we we expect to have sixteen of these games a year, and it's another revenue source where they can sell these sixteen games you buy, we're selling the international package. You get all the international games. Who wants it, and that's what they're going to do. And so this is a showcase. And to have the first one be justin Herbert Patrick Mahomes, you know, and a standalone in a market that's only four hours you know, it's only one hour ahead of New York time, four hours ahead of LA Like, yeah, we can PLoP this thing in primetime and we're rolling Man on a Friday night and let's go sell this package and make billions and billions of dollars more. I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would prefer it be the Raiders. I think Jim Harball versus Pete Carroll Week one in Brazil, Silver and Black versus the Chargers would be fun.
Speaker 1: But yeah, just not. They need that game to cook. Look at last year it was Eagles Packers. You know, it's two playoff teams. It's gonna be too. That's why I thought maybe the Texans would make sense. But there's just not enough sizzle. I mean no, Herbert Mahomes is serious sizzle and that's what they want. You know, before the international games were here, you go, here's here's two bottom feeders whatever. And now it's just totally changed where they want big markets or really good teams with superstars and that's what that's what the international game is now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not it's not six am on the West Coast on Sunday either. This is this is the first Friday of the NFL season, So you're right, it needs to be star power last one.
Speaker 1: Where Where are we? Where are we?
Speaker 2: Where are we? This is from Jason Delgado with the tag on JK. What do you think the chances are that he'll be back? Do you agree? If he does come back, it would be our best backfield? Says LT Turner and Sprolls probably would be. But I don't know. The Melvin Gordon Austin Eckler year in twenty eighteen was pretty good. But you know, I'm happy for JK if he does come back. I do hope that he gets an opportunity to actually it'd get a little bit more playing time somewhere else, just for me professionally, you.
Speaker 1: Know, for him, I hope he doesn't come back because it would mean that he's coming back on a one point seven million dollar deal, you know, So I've got to believe someone out there is willing to flip him three or four million bucks or you know, something along those lines, based on what he showed last year. Unless the medicals are just like that, that move, that move is just rolling the dice that you can get a compick. Let's let's see if we can roll the dice and a team, you know, he clears medicals and maybe a team gets an injury early and they need it back and they sign him, you know, and he goes out and performs and now here's a compick for you. Here's a fifth, here's a fourth, here's a sixth, whatever, and that that that's just what that deal screams to me, is there's an opportunity for them because he made it through the first wave to get a compick back. That's all that was, Yep, because he's gonna get out, He's going to get an offer for more money than that. I just I've got to believe he is again.
Speaker 2: Once you get to training camp, that's when you know, especially these running backs, there's like there's I think Nick Chubb is out there. A couple of the guys are out there too right now. So sometimes injuries in mini camp and training camp will will kind of speed up that process. Anything else, money, We got Joe Ortiz next week. Schedule released next week. So to your earlier point at the beginning, Man, it never stops. We'll maybe get a brief lull in June and then back at it for an early training camp.
Speaker 1: Exactly looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: Man, cool, all right? For money, I'm Chris. This has been charges weekly