Speaker 1: Welcome into Ravens Press Pass. It's been a very busy but exciting week at the Castle and we capped it off with Rookie Camp beginning on Friday. The Ravens six draft picks, as well as eighteen rookie free agents have been in Owens Mills practicing, going to meetings, and opening up the playbooks as they begin their NFL careers. In today's podcast, we'll hear from head coach John Harbaugh first round pick Zay Flowers, the Ravens third round selection Trenton Simpson, and sixth round pick sala Amubai la Ulu. First up, let's hear what coach Harbaugh had to say about this draft class after two rookie camp practices.
Speaker 2: Rookie Minni camp, guys are working hard. It's good to be back on the grass and get back at some football.
Speaker 3: What question did you have so.
Speaker 4: I know it's a first you know, first time you're seeing the lote's wookie job there any kind of just overall I question of the past couple?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know just what we thought. Guys at Love foot Ball. They're working hard, picking things up quickly. Practice has been pretty pretty darn crisp. You know for coming out here for the first time. These guys have never been the system, really never practiced in the NFL before. They were excited yesterday. They were a little hyped up a couple guys. You know, sometimes you gotta just you know, cal him to slow your mind down a little bit. He goes slower mind means a faster body a lot of times athletically.
Speaker 3: So we did that.
Speaker 2: But they did a good job and not not being over zealous in terms of, you know, banging into each other stuff. Understanding it's an orientation period. So happy with how they're doing.
Speaker 5: John, we didn't ask you about Ruckus in that signage. What does he bring to this defense and what are you excited about with his addition?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, he's a young veteran corner. You know, he's We've always appreciated the way he plays. He's he's a very diligent player. He can run, he's he's a good tackler, he's tough player, a good good man, his own player.
Speaker 3: Both.
Speaker 2: We were impressed when we talked to him and just happy to get it done. So we're looking forward to seeing how he does.
Speaker 5: He'll save closed the door on any other significant a editions at that secondary spot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good question.
Speaker 2: I would say, no, I don't think you'd ever ever really closed the door on any any personnel move you know, uh, whoever it might be.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, if you you probably ask me about Marcus and whatever the corners are out there, I would say, you know, you don't close the door.
Speaker 3: And good players and good people. We'll see how it goes.
Speaker 7: These guys.
Speaker 8: Obviously you get ready for the draft, which you know, the combines not really exactly like football, do you? Uh, I don't know, are you true to see what kind of shape guys are there? You pretty like pretty much think they woke in shape with that part this process too, well, you.
Speaker 2: Are curious, sure for sure, Cliff, to see what kind of shape they're in. But then we found out they're all in good shape. You know, So our guys did a good job. Our guys said, no problem with the practice. Uh, happy with how they're doing. Yeah, early impressions.
Speaker 5: At Zay and and what you just in particular that you've seen everything that you like.
Speaker 2: Sure, uh, just if you go through the whole maybe the draft guys, but Zay uh, Zay looks just as advertised, quick, good hands, very smart, you know, picking things up really quickly, playing every position right now across the board, and with what we've installed. It's just the first two install days. But I'd say, uh, everything he's expected to see. You saw catching the ball well, Simpson, you know, same thing. Looks fast, picking things up, very good communicator. You know, obviously there's a lot for these guys on their plate. There's a lot to learn. But he's off to a good start. Who's next, Uh yeah, uh, cayu yeah, cayu.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I would say even with him, you know, he looks really good. I would say, just for me personally, even a little more athletic than I thought, you know from the draft on the tape, he looks really really fluid, solid thing sala six round pick uh, solid, good feet, just like we thought. I'd say, just how we thought harder for the lineman, cause you know we don't we're not in pads. But he moves real well, seems like he's picking things up well.
Speaker 5: Was it those thirty guys for the drafts?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, absolutely, he was definitely in the mix. He was he was. He was in the first upper half of that group for sure. Who else Tavis Davis Yeah, he looks. He looks good. He looks high energy, high energy.
Speaker 2: You know, I think his I think his skill set is going to really express itself with the pads on.
Speaker 3: But he's he's a he's a tall, rangy guy with heavy hands and a lot of energy.
Speaker 9: You are we going with sal Is that?
Speaker 7: Hell, we're gonna go with that.
Speaker 3: I think that's how he goes. I think, yeah, because yeah, no chance you have to name.
Speaker 2: The media person you're supposed to pronunciate these things.
Speaker 3: Is that what You're a writer not a.
Speaker 9: Does he do you look at him as a tackle?
Speaker 7: Is it just getting reps at both.
Speaker 2: And see where he kind of make a decision when you have to make a decision.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And versatility is good.
Speaker 2: He's he's a developmental player at this point, you know, so I think he'll develop quickly. But guard tackle pretty much on the right side right now? Then focus on that side.
Speaker 7: How much was good good?
Speaker 9: How much the more he's on your radar? I mean, it's interesting to trade back in and get him when you did. How much was he on the radar all along through this process?
Speaker 2: You know he was probably you know he was on the radar, but it wasn't like a big blip on the radar because he had the he had the dot on there that said he was injured.
Speaker 3: Uh, we'd watch him.
Speaker 2: We had him ranked as a high you know, as a draftable player, third round type pick type guy maybe in that range, and uh, when we got towards the end, you know, we just he's still there obviously, and we'd we kind of started talking about him in terms of compared to the other guys that were available, and it's like, this is a real value. Let's try to get back in and see when we get him. And Eric did a great job with that.
Speaker 5: John, you guys rolled out him, you know, possibly being available.
Speaker 2: This year probably I would say, yeah, I think the plan for him this year is to rehab. He's he's you know, hey, who knows what could happen, But let's give him every opportunity he gets healthy as he can get you be ready to go next next offseason.
Speaker 9: Jack, we're talking about the guy's playing and throw him up between do you see Kelly's this guy capable slot and outside corner or is there.
Speaker 5: You know he thinks his strengths.
Speaker 7: Are in a certain area.
Speaker 2: Well, he's definitely capable mentally to do it. H physically, we just have to see, you know, how he fits. You put a guy and he can do it. I mean he's got the skill set. It's really more of a how do you process in there, having a feel for the routes and stuff like that. But he's good enough to play outside anyway. So he's fast enough, you know. Uh, and he's he's really smooth and fluid, opens up his hips. You're gonna like his feet when you see him. He's he's a little taller and rangier than kind of high. He looked on tape to me. So yeah, it looks good so far, but hey, it's early. I mean we're just starting.
Speaker 10: John because returning the special teams bet something that a Flowers is accident is hit.
Speaker 7: He did.
Speaker 2: He caught punch yesterday, looked really good doing it. So yeah, absolutely, we'll we'll take a look at that.
Speaker 4: John has a wall since you had a doubleware quarterback D five here number five. Notice, I mean you know I believe he is a Drift Flackoo fan, so coming from Delaware, So yeah, I mean did he did he did he s anything about him to best goal days or.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he looked good. He's he got real smooth athlete, real smart. Both guys, I mean both the two quarterbacks in here, uh, Delaware and Buis State. I mean, those guys did a good job. I thought they were both very confident, ran things well, picked up the offense very very quickly.
Speaker 3: After that. You know, you just you don't know until things kind of the bullets start to fly a little bit.
Speaker 5: So as we kind of try to figure out what this secondary might look like, did you guys have a plan for what you want tran Steve is to focus on with this off season positionally, I know he's kind of bounced around a bunch of talk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, that's a great question.
Speaker 2: We're going to start him off at safety and uh and work as a safety corner combination. I mean, the versatility again, we love it, but he's going to focus more on safety. He's got a lot of reps of corners so far. Try to really get that down. And you know, one of his superpowers is going to be he can play all five spots.
Speaker 5: Is like a nickelback type caled Hamilton, like you know Stuft that he could maybe fit in.
Speaker 2: I think he could, you know, I mean, he's you know, those guys become interchangeable if they're playing the nickel spot too, and we probably more than anybody played three safety type grouping out there in our nickel package, so I would think he could do the same type thing.
Speaker 1: It's always great to hear from John Harbott, and he had some good things to say about what he's seen out of these rookies. There's obviously a learning curve going from the collegiate level to the NFL, but it seems like these newcomers are eager to put in the work and show what they're capable of at the next level. Before we get to the next press conference, don't forget to subscribe, rate, and review the Ravens Press Pass podcast if you haven't already. Next up is the Ravens first round selection at pick number twenty two wide receivers Zay Flowers from Boston College. From what we've seen so far during rookie camp, Zay is an explosive playmaker with quick feet and big play potential. Here's what he had to say to the Ravens media.
Speaker 3: So I had to feel being out there.
Speaker 4: I don't mean obviously you practice so many time, but how did was it different being out there being an.
Speaker 7: NFL, it's not really different. I would say it's more spaed up, it's more urgent. You gotta know what you're doing. You gotta be able to take it from the classroom to the field. So it's not it's really not different. In college, you just have more time to like learn it and they'll take you through more. And in the NFL you really just gotta get it and go so.
Speaker 3: That your way of sitting.
Speaker 7: You made a couple of mistakes, but I think everybody gonna make a couple of mistakes the first time I'm out there. But you know, it's part of the building process to.
Speaker 5: Say it's so early, but what are your early impressions of Top Munkins offense.
Speaker 7: I love it. It's kind of like some of the stuff I ran at BC. I love it if I think it fit my style, like perfect.
Speaker 5: What do you think it's your style?
Speaker 7: Running? Getting open and be able to create space, deep balls, short, intermediate, do it all?
Speaker 5: Do you see yourself as more inside more outside in that offense you have?
Speaker 7: I feel like I could play anyway.
Speaker 9: Say, when we were talking to John Harbor before the draft, he said, well, a shorter receiver has to have other superpowers. Yeah, so what are your superpowers?
Speaker 7: I feel like I'm a complete receiver. I could do it all you name it, I'd be able to do it. Now.
Speaker 4: When we talked with Lamar as this pass speakers mentioning you and.
Speaker 5: Some of the other receivers and talking about maybe throwing six.
Speaker 4: Think about that.
Speaker 7: I love that. Let's do it. I'm with it. Whatever you want to do, I'm with it.
Speaker 3: You mentioned your.
Speaker 7: Inside or outside.
Speaker 5: I feel like, like, what do you what do you prefer to be like?
Speaker 6: Worser YEA the most comfortable like to be he feel like they're most dangerous.
Speaker 7: I really, I honestly don't have a preference because I feel like I could run every route on the outside and I could run every round on the inside, So I don't really have a preference.
Speaker 5: Have you had any conversation with Lamar Let's do more in depth about how you guys are gonna play.
Speaker 7: Or what he likes. Maybe this week when I go home, we would probably throw a little bit talk, but it was just about last week. We were just talking about throwing and trying to catch up a little bit.
Speaker 3: You expect to do that on music Sac South wherever you guys.
Speaker 7: Fuck up And yeah, absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 8: So.
Speaker 5: Uh I think when when that pandemic season happens, and uh, I guess when the pandemic happened in two thousand. You know, you talked about how important that that you know, period was for you and just trying to work your hardest and.
Speaker 7: Be as as you could be.
Speaker 5: Did you kind of go into that that stretch like knowing that you wanted to work as hard as you did? And I guess, like, where were you in for where were you after after that stretch?
Speaker 7: Before that? That was my freshman year, so I was kind of like probably like one hundred and fifty pounds, So I knew I had to gain weight, route, run, and just try to get better at every aspect of get every aspect of my game. And that's what I was able to do because we had four months off until we actually went and played the game, and I was able to do that every day and build up to what I wanted.
Speaker 5: Do you think that kind of stuff is changing to yourself sports.
Speaker 7: And everything like that, You like, it's a part of it. But I was a hard record before that. I just needed some weight.
Speaker 5: Was there a play after that period that you lived to where you started establishing that physicality that you became pretty well known for at.
Speaker 7: The Boston College. Nah. I wouldn't say a play in particular, but it was probably a couple of plays that added up to parties to that.
Speaker 5: Is there a target way that you were the coaches want you or this year?
Speaker 7: Uh no, they really haven't given me one yet, but I have my own.
Speaker 9: We saw the video of you and your club conference with your dad there. Emotionally, what was it like for you walking in here and seeing your your your jersey, your name and just lock.
Speaker 7: Going on this man? It was a dream come true, like at the draft, Like there's a lot of emotions so and you don't really get to the team yet, so you don't really feel it. And then when you see the jersey your name on it with the end of and all that, and then it's like all right now we here. How many number four dress is you get to order now? With your sibols, I say like, good, like fifteen sixty, hopefully ill get a deal.
Speaker 5: Draping. What's the coolest thing that's happened to you, Whether it's a phone call you've gotten, the message, you got on something you read.
Speaker 7: Saw Oh, Carmelo Anthony text me. He was like walking into flog nation.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 7: Oh he DM me. He was in my DM for like three days and I was like, Carmelo Anthony text me, and then I clicked on the space. He was like seven many fives. Oh yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: I know we're all pumped to see that Lamar to Zay connection this season, but I don't think anyone is more excited than Zay himself. Flowers said he's looking forward to playing in Todd Monkin's offense and he thinks it will fit his style perfectly. You're listening to Ravens Press Pass. If you haven't already, don't forget to subscribe, rate and review. The next presser we have for you is Baltimore's third round selection, linebacker Trenton Simpson from Clemson. Trent is a very versatile player who can make an immediate impact on Mike McDonald's defense as well as on special teams. So with that, here's Trenton Simpson's rookie camp press conference.
Speaker 7: I feel out there any any different.
Speaker 4: I mean, you've had football practices, your whole life was the past couple days, A little a little more difference than than usual.
Speaker 10: I wouldn't say different. It's just the game. The level of the NFL is just a little bit faster. But I'm having fun, just playing fast, physical football, trusting that my coaches put me in the best situation. Just having fun. You know, this is I'm living a dream and just to get through with my first two NFL practices, I'm blessed and I've had a great time.
Speaker 9: Kend when you got drafted John Harbaugh and said Chris Horden, the special teams coach's gonna love you. What what's the key to being a you know, a key special teams guy with your position?
Speaker 10: I say the keys is being relentless, giving it all you got and taking that special team's rep like you would take the first team defensive rep. And that's what I pride myself on, just doing all the small things right and giving it all I got, you know, trying to empty in the tank every practice so when game they come, he'll be super easy for me.
Speaker 8: Do you think coming in you'r they said to your guy would play inside outside. Do you think the fact that you did a lot of things at Godege your health care fair this ually needed edit more ways.
Speaker 7: Uh, yes, sir.
Speaker 10: Yeah, definitely being able to be versus to it. Clemson, I was able to learn a lot a lot of systems and uh, I had two different coaches, so I learned two systems. And uh, just the flexibility I bring to the table, you know, and just trusting my coaches and putting extra work. I feel like that would translate to this league easily as well.
Speaker 5: He talks about how much you're looking forward to working with Ropinn. Have you had a chance to talk to him, and if so, you.
Speaker 3: Know what is that after Tacklin?
Speaker 7: Yes, sir, I have. Ah.
Speaker 10: He texted me the night after I got drafted. Uh, He'll say he was happy for me. He's ready to get to work. And I'm just excited to play with a guy like that. You know, he's a a great linebacker. You know, it's all it's a proofing and putting like he showed it and he's been the top guy in the NFL. So just to be in the locker room with a vet like that, I'm gonna come in and ready to learn and try. What were the emotions like just getting ready to prepare for rookie Bennie Camp, being in the building for the first time moved to like him. I would say I came in eager, like I was ready to get to work. I couldn't wait to wake up Thursday morning to fly here and just get started with ball again. But all the nerves is down now and I'm just feel like I'm just playing football and just getting into the locker room and meeting new teammates, and I'm just getting to build a relationship with all my coaches, you know, special team defensive coordinator and all my teammates.
Speaker 7: It's a blessing to be here.
Speaker 5: For sure, we'll get some of the free draft coverage. I think one of the guys, if you said you're most excited to try to tackle or sack with Lamar Jackson's now here you are. Is it a better feeling the worst feeling that you're gonna see him every day in practice, or that you can't technically sack him, or how do you kind of think of that?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 10: No, it's cool to be able to play with him. I'm ready to play with sal Lamar Jackson, you know, and see the magic he does in practice every day and compete because I know when he goes out there on Sundays he's gonna do his thing, So it's I'm blessed to be his teammate and ready to work and make sure on defense we handle our part so offense can do their thing.
Speaker 7: You know, are you.
Speaker 5: Bumped that you can't actually get ahold of the time, probably get a little trouble.
Speaker 10: Oh no, that's my QB now, So I just tag off in practice, you know, just tag off, keep him up, it's sir.
Speaker 5: And I'm sure draft now you when you got drafted was a whirl wind.
Speaker 7: And everything was that we saw the video of you getting your number or what that was like.
Speaker 9: Is that kind of I don't I understand when it set in.
Speaker 7: For you that all you've accomplished and that you're here now when you saw that jersey?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think. Once I got that call, you know, and my family was there to support me, it was just roy motion.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 10: That's I've been working my whole life. I've been working at this football things. I was six years old. So to get that call from a team that wanted me and was excited about the things that I can bring to the locker room and on the field, it was a blessing, you know. And to have my mom right there, cause she's been a part of every step, So it was just blessed, you know, and that was just roy motion. I'm just glad to be a Baltimore Raven.
Speaker 5: Is there anything in Pickler that went into the number he shows?
Speaker 10: Uh? I would say thirties. It was the best available number and I'm excited to refor it the best way I can.
Speaker 7: It's there, Suh.
Speaker 5: I know it's early days, but uh, anything kind of stick out to you about the differences the similarities between this Raves defense and once you played, uh played with.
Speaker 10: I would definitely say the similarity is, uh, the way we play on defense everything. It's like they say, play like a Baltimore Raven, play like a Raven. I feel like it's a fast, physical defense and it allows to pl fly around and play quick. That's definitely something we did at Clemson. And I'm just deciited to come in and hold up to the standard like coach bring it uh shows us every morning, like he shows us the Ray Lewis is those type of guys films, So like, just to come in here and hold up to the standards. What I look forward to doing that any differentticipation, Nah, I I would say just the speed of it. The NFL is a little bit faster, but I feel like we're all adapting and me every day just taking practice reps so when the game they come, it'll be just like college.
Speaker 7: Again. You mentioned the fellow ray Lewis and the lineage are flying backers here very wrong.
Speaker 5: Does that add to your sense between and Baltimore playing for this franchise?
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's I feel like, That's why I was so emotional when I got trapped, because I'm coming to a place where it's linebacker, you know, legendary players here, you know. So, uh, just seeing guys like Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, you know, ro Corn Smith, Patrick Quinn, guys like that, and being able to be in the locker room with two of those guys, it's a blessing. So just getting up under them and just working with them so I can live up to the standards my goal.
Speaker 1: Trent said he grew up watching Roquan Smith and admires how Roe plays the game. So having leaders like Smith and Patrick Queen and that linebacker's room with trenton his potential is sky high here in Baltimore. He also talked about that Ravens linebacker lineage. You can tell he understands the history of the linebacker position here in Charms City and he's looking forward to being a part of that. You can also just tell how grateful Simpson is to be in this position, and you know he'll do everything he can to make an impact here on and off the field. Last up, today, we have the big offensive tackle the Ravens selected in the sixth round, sala Amuvai Laoulu from Oregon. Sala is a powerful blocker who can play at right tackle, but the Ravens could have some flexibility to shift him to the guard position. Now, let's hear what Sala had to say about rookie camp and the opportunity he has this weekend.
Speaker 7: Is there? Okay?
Speaker 4: If we go call you sala Is that is that the way we usually go with this or everyone.
Speaker 6: In the West Coast called me base Ala though, So it's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, early impressions first couple of days almost definitely.
Speaker 6: Uh, the grind. That's what I love the most with my teammates and also taking coaching.
Speaker 7: I love it.
Speaker 3: I love the grind.
Speaker 9: So anything that specific stood out to you surprised.
Speaker 6: You so far? I'm loving what's called everything so far, I'm enjoying everything day by day and just working with our teammates and learning more of the players and stuff.
Speaker 7: So any of the fellow rookies you have a pre existing relationship away.
Speaker 6: All of them so far, Yes, sir, I love them so far. What's called especially the offense, we were always bonding as a team as a unit, as well as our defense, So so it's gotta be one.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure you're looking forward to being able to work and tackle but also a cross training at guard, just become and more versatile.
Speaker 6: Would you adjust to the next time? I would say I like to do both. So being versatilezed my thing. And I'd like to keep Ronnie staying humble, just stay hungry, and just keep Ronnie day by day with my fellow teammates.
Speaker 9: Is that the impression you've gotten, then you're gonna have to play both.
Speaker 6: So far, we'll see how it goes. To be honest, how.
Speaker 5: Much are you looking forward to when you look at this offensive line when you got Morgan Moses to right tackle.
Speaker 3: But in the league long time Kevin Zeitler a guard Ronnie Stanley.
Speaker 5: Ever, on the other side, you've got some pretty experienced pros to be able to learn from here.
Speaker 6: What I look forward to is learning from the vests, the coaches, and just keep learning from all of them. Just use those use what they say to me, and just put in my tool box and just keep perfecting my game. And it's one championships every year with them. So what's it gonna be.
Speaker 4: Like to you know, be especially on offensive a teammate of Lamar Jackson and I guess and you probably have seen him.
Speaker 6: Oh incredible him. I always say, always call out if we love him as a team and I'll look forward to playing with them. So let's get to it.
Speaker 5: I know the all needed football community is a big one sport as one give any kind of relationship with with Ronnie.
Speaker 6: Ronnie kind of because I went to the Liberty High School in Vegas my high school year as well, and he was our rival school of Bishop Warmer, so we kind of got a connection.
Speaker 1: So yes, sir, it's clear that Sala loves the grind of these fast tempo NFL practices and he's ready to continue to learn and grow here in Baltimore. That's it for this edition of Raven's Press Pass. It's been great getting to know this draft class and seeing how they can fit into the twenty twenty three Baltimore Ravens team. Don't forget you can get every media availability, interview, or press conference on Raven's Press Pass, so if you haven't done so already, make sure you subscribe, rate, and review. Thanks for listening, and we'll be back with you soon