Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, Welcome back to Bachler Happy Hour. I'm Joe and I'm Serena, and we are here today with a little holiday recap. We have decided to recap Bachelor Winter Games that came out back in twenty eighteen. Maybe this will correlate a little bit with the new Bachelor Home Rental show in a sense, because there's a little bit of competition involved.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Actually, I didn't even think about.
Speaker 1: That really was the first thing I thought about.
Speaker 2: Well, it's definitely one of a handful of Baucher spin offs. I mean, they had that singing show at one point. I think it was called Listen to Your Heart. Oh, they did Winter Games.
Speaker 1: I've never seen Listen to your Heart.
Speaker 2: I don't think i've seen it either. It was a bunch of like aspiring singers, right, yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 1: I heard it was I heard from.
Speaker 2: Actually I think I did see some of it.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen any of it, but I remember hearing from people that worked on it that they really enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sure it's fun for people that work on the show to switch it up and do something different, and I'm sure Winter Games was one of those things, Like you know, they're in a house in the winter, different location, all star cast people from different countries, Like there was a lot to be excited about it. I feel like when this launched, and it was the concept of Bachelor Winter Games was that it was airing in alignment with the Winter Olympics, so it was kind of Bachelor's take on a Winter Olympics meets Bachelor competition dating show.
Speaker 1: I remember it because I watched the first episode because the day the first episode came out was the day I found out that I was cast on beca season and I was like, all right, I actually like what the fuck is going on here? Like really, I gotta pay attention. I remember watching I don't think I got through the whole thing, but I remember watching it like a majority of it, and like, Okay, I don't know what I'm doing now.
Speaker 2: Like this is really what it's crazy is. I actually have never seen Winter Games. It was my first time watching it. But a lot of the people ended up being on your season of Paradise, which is kind of crazy because the next season of Paradise, the people that ended up single on Winter Games filtered their way onto.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was funny because Bibiana, Kevin and Eric were all original cast in Paradise on my season two, so they weren't even like, oh it didn't work, you come down. They were all original cast, which is kind of crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I mean if you didn't find love on Winter Games, it kind of set you up for success probably going on Paradise because you were able to make it down there earlier than you might have if you didn't do Winter Games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. One thing I will say before we recap it, which we could start recapping it now, My favorite part of this was the house, Like I love that. Also that like winter cabin looks, that was my favorite part.
Speaker 2: I like it too because Bachelor is so identified by the mansion, this like beautiful Spanish home in La And to see these people in a very different aesthetic, I think it's fun and it's just giving, like cozy winter cabin vibes, Like it's a good it's a good feel. It's a different setting. It's not a beach, it's not La. I feel like, rarely do we see them in this setting for longer than like one episode that they've like flown somewhere for definitely.
Speaker 1: Okay, So starting from the beginning of the episode, we get some intro packages, which is fine, they carry on for the intro of this show was just too too long. Really have like a we have like a like an Olympic ceremony esque style intro that I'm just like, all right, but this isn't the Olympics, so so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're definitely trying to mimic an opening ceremony for the Olympics, but doing it Bachelor style. And unique about this season is they're pulling contestants from different places in the world, so like they pulled someone from Bachelor China, from Bachelor New Zealand, Australia, UK, Germany. So it's this coming together of the countries, which is really cool concept. But they do this parade that dead ass is the first thirty minutes of this show. They could have picked up the pace. Now I know this is twenty eighteen. TV moves a lot faster now, I think than it did. Just media in general, our attention spans are shorter. Social media's you know, playing a role in that, so it could just feel updated more than anything. Yeah, but it's slow. It's a long intro, but we're introduced to some of our bachelination phase. We've got Ben Higgins. We've got Bibiana, Dean, Claire Crawley, Ashley Eye, so some really strong people that they've cast.
Speaker 1: On this show, and I will say they're at the like you're so used to if you're watching a spin off of Bachelor, you're used to watching Bachler in Paradise, where you know, like the first episode, you know. Ever, even if like you've never seen, even if you don't remember the person from their current season, you after the first episode, you know everyone who's there. At the end of this episode, I was like, I haven't seen like eight of the eight of these people. When they're doing the row ceremony, I'm like, how many There's like thirty people in the house.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, No. It was wild, wild and kind of interesting because obviously the show is about this coming together of the countries, but they don't show really any of the people from the other countries unless they are forming a relationship with one of the American Bachelor faves. Yeah, which I guess makes sense because we don't know half of this cast, and you're more invested in the people that you do know, right, Like you know Ashley, I you want to see her, you are It's harder to get you in and like all of these people from Germany and the UK, et cetera. However, it's like, what's the point of having all of these people here? And there's also an intense language barrier for some of them not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like Yuki Yuki, who was also on my first season a Paradise as a bartender, but yeah, she didn't speak any English.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it is challenging to date when there's people in the house that are fluent in your language and then there's people in the house that really don't speak your language at all. Yeah, So there was a little bit of that. They have Tristan Ryan come out with the flame of love lantern situation to end off the opening ceremonies, which was kind of just like so hilarious to me because like, I just still feel like that is something they would do today, is called Tristan Ryan and be like get back here for like our opening ceremonies, like they I.
Speaker 1: Would love to know the number of times Trista has appeared on a season of Bachelor Bachan Paradisetan like anything better.
Speaker 2: I had to bet who has not been a contestant on the most but who has made a guest appearance the most in this franchise, Without a doubt, it has to be Trista.
Speaker 1: I mean she has to be I would say, if I were to throw out a random number, I would say over six, over six or seven yeast Yeah, right, I would think.
Speaker 2: I mean, I get it. She's their first Bacherette. She's so beloved, she's so fantastic. But yeah, it was just funny. I was like, oh my god, I feel like twenty eighteen, this could be twenty twenty five, like Tristan and Ryan coming out for the opener. Yeah, and then they had two musical performances, which just truthfully felt really unnecessary. I was like, can I just see some people stay? Can I see any of these contestants talk to any other contestant at this point? Like, I've been watching for thirty minutes, I'm about to watch two musical performances not really necessary, but necessary to play into like the opening ceremony element.
Speaker 1: I mean, we're both in agreeance. It was too long in the beginning, Like the ceremony was unnecessary. I don't think anyone's going to be mad at that because this show is from twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then we get kind of more into the show element. Yeah, they get to the house and we find out that there's going to be these competitions. The first one is a skiing competition, and whoever wins one guy one girl, they get to take someone on a date, which honestly could be a fun integration into Bachelor in Paradise. Yeah, like, maybe we keep these competitions, these games and whoever the guy other girl that wins, like you get the date card or maybe you introduce that halfway, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Well, I think this. I think this show had to be part of the inspiration of Bachelor in Paradise this year. Yeah, I think so, because I do think like when we had our talk with Andrew and Alex, and Andrew mentioning like there and I remember even going back there, we we had just like we would do nothing Like there was like like majority of the days unless you were even if you were involved in like the drama, there's just so much downtime, which is is just boring.
Speaker 2: Kind of exhausting, and.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, and it almost like I think I think the Winter Games. What I realized from watching this first episode is they they did a good job of like incorporating the games, but this one really still felt drama relationship bachelor aesque heavy, like they didn't stair away from that. There you see Ashley I cry five times, yea more more seven.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I did feel like as much as I think the games on the season of Paradise are a little more exciting to watch, it did feel like this ski competition. It it wasn't like like they were trying to make it a competition show. It's still felt like they were focusing on like people falling on the skis, the girls waiting to see who wins, like rooting for the guy that they want to win because they want to go on a date. Like the competition did feel still very ingrained in the dating element and like both sides had something to gain and something to lose. And I thought it was fun watching like Leslie be like I like Dean and we hit it off last night and I want him to win so he can take me on a date. And then yeah, so we see Kevin wins for the guys. Yeah, Canadians gain competition naturally?
Speaker 1: Also, did I mention Kevin? Yeah, I said he was he was on Paradise.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, ute, Yeah, And then Rebecca wins for the girls. Rebecca is from wait, let me check, I can't fully remember she's from Sweden. So that was good because honestly, I don't know if we would have gotten introduced to her had she not won. Yeah, And Kevin is kind of in this little love Triangles situation with Bibyana and Ashley. I Ashley I is. I don't think he really knows it yet though he doesn't know, he doesn't know. He thinks he's just hitting it off with Bibyana.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because Ashley, as much as she's expressing in her interviews that she's into Kevin, I don't know how much she's actually opening up to him at this point.
Speaker 2: No, I would agree with that. Yeah, he had definitely hit it off with Bibiana already. He ends up taking her on a date that's not really a surprise to anyone except Ashley, who I think like has kind of locked in on Kevin and is like, that's the guy I want, which I like. I like that about her that she's like, I know who I'm looking for and it's him, and I'm all in on this person, and I'm going to figure out how to make that work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't have that as much nowadays on this.
Speaker 2: And she's shameless about it, Like she's like, I'm devastated that he took someone else, even though we haven't really talked yet. I want that guy, and I'm going to be vocal about him until everyone I'm disappointed. Like she really is a wear her heart on her sleeve. Like there's no gameplay or strategy to her. The way she moves, it's all about her feelings and she.
Speaker 1: Is someone that like yeah, like it makes like she it just makes so much sense that she was casted on this on.
Speaker 2: This show, she's so good because she really like I.
Speaker 1: Walk and like I know there's like all this, I don't love it, but like yeah, like that's there for the right reasons and all. Like like I watched whenever Ashley's eye is on this show, I'm like that she's that she is there to fall in love. Oh yeah, I'm going on the show because I'm gonna fall in love on this show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she really wants to. And she's like, I that's if there's alternative motives, they don't even come close to how important finding love is for her.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I love It's great.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited. Okay, so she doesn't get ass on the date. She's crying. She's crying interviews, crying to Ben, She's disappointed. What's interesting to me is watching this first episode, it does seem like Kevin and Bibyon are kind of hitting it off. It seems like maybe like there could be something between Ashley and Kevin. But it's so early. But spoiler alert, we obviously know because this came out in twenty eighteen, that Ashley I and Kevin end up together after the show, right. I think so they are like in a relationship when they leave the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know how long it lasts, but I think so. And then and then I don't know how it ends up playing out, But then Astley and Jarrett start dating again. Yeah, and then they get married and then they have two kids. So, but Kevin's also married and has two kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is so lovely. But I watching the first episode, you wouldn't see it going that way necessarily.
Speaker 1: Oh like them and them? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like if you if I just watched that first episode not knowing how it ended, and you were like those who actually end up together, I'd be like, oh, whoa like how does that come to be?
Speaker 1: Really? Oh, I cause him and.
Speaker 2: By beyond it to me, I'm like, oh, that kind of makes sense. I can see them going the distance.
Speaker 1: Oh see, I know, but I'm viewing it from a different lens because.
Speaker 2: You know these people I know, I only know Ashley.
Speaker 1: And like Kevin and Bibiana both being on my first season of Paradise, I never thought that was like Kevin and Astrid. I think hooked up pretty soon, but like I never thought I was like Bibyana and Kevin. I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't see that really, Okay, interesting Rebecca takes Luke on the date Lucas from JoJo's season of The Boucherette. That's pretty nice. Nothing to juicy there. The other two couples that we are introduced to are Leslie, who was on Sean Low season The Bachelor, and Dean, who we now know is Dean and Kaylen.
Speaker 1: I think they actually dated off of that season as well for a little bit.
Speaker 2: Oh they do. They have a good thing go and in the first episode, yeah, they.
Speaker 1: Both seem to be like chill and like, Okay, let's see where this goes type of thing.
Speaker 2: And then we have Claire Crawley, who is just another like oh my god, she's just so good on camera, Like I just I love watching her.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I only saw her on her latest season of when she was the Bachelorette. Yeah, but like what but you've seen I've seen clips and then just like even watching this first episode, I'm like, oh, it makes because like when she was named the Bachelorette, you were kind of like, this is a blast from the past. Yeah, like that isn't this out of left field if you're like newly watching the show or even like just like yeah, you're like, that's a that's an interesting choice, mainly because most people they pulled at that time were all from like previous seasons, like like the season right before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was the first one. I think since like Ari, maybe that they dug back into the archives where they hadn't just pulled someone off of the previous season who had come runner up and was kind of the obvious choice.
Speaker 1: But it makes it makes it makes total sense. Like I watch even watching her episode one, I'm like, oh, I'm every time she's on screen, I'm paying attention, you know, I'm not really scrolling on my phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because like she's she makes for good reality she does. And you know what is great about her, and there's there's a few things, but she is really good at creating chemistry and flirting. So these guys you do see like they're interested, like they're hooked. And I mean, she's beautiful, obviously, but I do like watching people on these shows, and I've said this about Victoria Fuller before too, who are just kind of smooth and good at flirting, good at creating chemistry, good at creating connection, and I do feel like she's one of them, like she's skilled in it.
Speaker 1: Well. It's also it's also interesting like listening to her then like start flirting with the guy from Germany.
Speaker 2: Who's like, well yeah, because we watch her lock in with ben Wa who's from Canada, and then at the end of the episode, she starts locking in with this guy Christian who's from Germany and Switzerland.
Speaker 1: But he but in his head he's like, well way, like if you if you're talking to someone else, like I'm already clocked out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And she's like, what do you mean, I can talk to both of you.
Speaker 1: And she's like this is uh, this is the Bachelor, Like this is this is what this show is. And he's like, well, that's not like how I do things like.
Speaker 2: And she's like, well, it's about to be how you which is which is she's like coursing him into this love triangle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which I think was probably the fun part of bringing people from other countries who you know, different cultural backgrounds and different you know.
Speaker 2: Well, and clar had done Paradise once or twice prior to this, right, I would assume, Yeah, I'm just trying to I know she had. I'm trying to remember the timeline. So if she had, Paradise is very love triangle friendly of like going a date with this person, try this person. And if these guys have come on only having been the Bachelor, the concept of like talking to multiple people is probably a little bit more foreign to them.
Speaker 1: Well, I think she might have did that Bachelor pad which was which is pretty similar, which is the origin of Bachelor in Paradise and pretty similar to this too.
Speaker 2: Yes, Okay, did she do Bachelor Past.
Speaker 1: I think she might have done a season about Well, she didn't do the season that we watched a couple of episodes of. Yeah, I'm pretty sure she was on that. I think so, which makes sense.
Speaker 2: She's a true veteran of this franchise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I forget how many people like I think the beginning of this franchise, like especially when they like you forget that like there it was only the Bachelor. Then when they I think once they like rolled the Batsorette out, they were bringing people back constantly and like different characters, and I think people were more willing to come back because there wasn't online hate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it must have been a fun time in the franchise. Once they were like, Okay, it's not just the Bachelor, We're gonna do Bacherette. Now, we're gonna roll out Bachelor pat Like they were developing all these new shows, and all these opportunities that you didn't have as a contestant before started to be put on the table of like, well, if it doesn't work out here, yeah, maybe you could be the Bacherette. Maybe you could go on Bachelor Pad.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like that would have added a lot of motivation to contestants when they were on the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like yeah, this is fun. And then it's almost like you're part of like this sorority, you know, fraternity type gig.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, we'll think of it for like ten years. It was just a bunch of girlies one dude every season?
Speaker 1: Was it ten years? Was it ten seasons? I don't think it was that many way, it was no way anyways, So what else anything else big happened in this episode before we hit the row ceremony.
Speaker 2: No, that's kind of it. I mean, not a ton of drama yet, just I.
Speaker 1: Would say the most, like the biggest cliffhanger. What you're waiting to see is Ashley I what's happening with her? And also there's Ben Higgins, who at the time was you know he was His Bachelor season was massive. He's back on this show after his breakup. What's going to happen with him?
Speaker 2: Yes, this is kind of his re emergence. Yeah, he had a huge season the Bachelor. He got engaged him and Lauren I think did like a spinoff show after, didn't they?
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: And then it obviously didn't work out for them at the time. You know, they're both married with kids now, which is so fantastic. But that story is definitely playing a role into him on the show. There's this talk of like is he ready? He doesn't feel fully present, and the vibe you're getting from Ben is he doesn't know if he's ready or not either, so you're kind of waiting to see his journey unfold. And I would imagine a lot of people who I mean so many who were huge Ben fans were very locked in on him in this season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then we see how they're doing. Chris comes out and basically announces like we're doing. I would have thought like, yeah, whoever, you give your rose to it. The Row ceremony was interesting because people gave out roses, but then at the same time, it was like everybody went in and voted for the person they didn't want in the house, like the.
Speaker 2: Same as the New Paradise. It's like Bachelor cannot end episodes without a Row ceremony. But the reality is like this was Survivors, the Survivor salary. You all go vote someone.
Speaker 1: Out, yeah, and you see people then like start like, uh, you know, like campaigning for themselves. We see Eric go home, which was kind of like out of left field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you didn't even really see him in the entire episode. So, I mean, you didn't see half this cast in the entire episode. But it was a bummer to see him go. Did he end up on your season of Paradise?
Speaker 1: Yeah he was. He was original cast too, Okay, Eric and Kevin, we're all original cast. Ben Wah made uh An appearance. Yuki was the bartender.
Speaker 2: Was the bartender with Wells.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were, they were, they were together and she was fun and I actually met her. I met up with her in Tokyo.
Speaker 2: Did she really Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she took us to like restaurant.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, that's so funny. Oh my gosh. And then so yeah, we see Eric gets voted out. We see the girl from the UK get voted out, the girl from China get voted out. I need to get these people's names, Okay, Zoe from China, Laura from the UK, and then Jamie, Eric and Lauren g from the US. Yeah, a big elimination, However, too many people. There's so many people people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you might as well eliminate fifteen people at this point.
Speaker 2: I mean I only saw literally people on my screen for most of the episode. So it's fine, you know, get get rid of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so I think curious to see where they take this, but we know like the results. So so who did.
Speaker 2: Did Claire end up with that guy, ben Wah, I don't.
Speaker 1: I think I think there was. I think like he might have got I think they like. I think he might have got down on like one knee at like the reunion show or something.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, he proposed to.
Speaker 1: I think there was something like that, but he was definitely it definitely didn't work because he was on my season.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so like they got engaged, but I don't think it was.
Speaker 2: Mean clearly it didn't work out.
Speaker 1: Clearly it didn't work.
Speaker 2: I don't did any of the relationships from Bachelor Winter Games work out? I don't think so.
Speaker 1: No, I don't. I don't think so.
Speaker 2: It sounds like it was Leslie and Dean, Claire and Benoit, and then Kevin and Ashley. I are the ones that I'm aware of, and none of them are still together.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The most I mean, the most successful show has truly been proven to be Bachelor in Paradise.
Speaker 2: It is interesting diving back in. Obviously we've recapped a little bit of Bachelor Pat on this podcast talking about Winter Games. You know, we were on the old version of Bachelor in Paradise. We've got the new one, kind of seeing how they draw inspiration from all of their different spin offs and they build on it every single time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there's clearly one winner, Like there's clear like clearly whatever it is people on a beach from Bachelor and Bachelorette, it's it works.
Speaker 2: Well because watching people on vacation in Bikini's fall in love is fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know, well, I mean obviously the show work, but I'm saying it works amongst the contestants, like the most. The most engagements come from Paradise.
Speaker 2: Yes, Bachelor Pad didn't even really have that option, and I don't think Winter Games was really ending in engagements either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm curious if they keep the competition element in it, will it produces many Will it produce as many engagements or successful relationships as it has in the past.
Speaker 2: I mean this season of Time it won't. But this season did well.
Speaker 1: This season of Paradise with the competition element it did. There's still successful couples.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's three. Jeremy and Bailey, Alex and Andrew, and Jess and Spencer are all still together. They all seem very happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is a lot. I mean when you have when you have three that are still still going after I mean it's been has been hasn't been a year.
Speaker 2: No, it's been about six months, but I mean justin Spencer engaged like it's definitely a successful season. But I do wonder if the competition money element continues to play an active role, if people will go in with a competitive mindset and there will be more strategy about how to win the money. Because this season, as much as the competition played a role, it was told to them that they were going for love, so they all came in with the mentality of wanting to find a relationship.
Speaker 1: I think it'll I think it will all depend on a how much money and b if there's a clear path to winning the money. And I think, like even I don't know if there's money involved in this Winter Games. They didn't really address any money being involved. I think it's just competition.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like Winter Games because I like the fact that like the competition of it plays out of like is this who's this person going to take on a date? Because then then the reward is is potential like a potential relationship.
Speaker 2: Well, and as you see the relationship start to evolve, that competitive spirit is going to escalate because you're going to see guys and girls be like I've been with this guy for three weeks. We haven't had the chance to go on a date yet, get me out of this house, like I want to win, and it's all going to be these like fun winter Olympic themed activities. So I do think it's a fun layout.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would think that's what In my opinion, I think that's where they should where they should pivot. Like in Paradise, I think it should be more of like the competition is a result of like who gets to stay, who gets to go, who gets to take someone on a date? Make it more personal like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like the reward of these competitions is a date, is a relationship activity like and if.
Speaker 1: And if it is money at the end, tell me how I get it? And then when I get to the end, don't tell me like oh, but then it gets split in half. And then this person gets a choice and then wait, you didn't. You didn't win the money. You picked love, but like, pick out of this card and win some money anyways, because this is deal or no deal.
Speaker 2: Now, well, I feel like on this past season of Paradise, if someone had picked the money, it would have been like you don't get any money because you failed because it was your final test and the show's about love.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know what any mean?
Speaker 2: Woras if you picked love, it was like, oh you won and here's some cash. But they need to refine it a little bit more. I feel like it needs to be clearer next season, and I think it will be.
Speaker 1: But overall thoughts on Winter Games, I thought it was fun. Let's chot out the beginning down a little bit and it's it's it's good they do. They do a good job and they have and they have a strong cast of characters for sure.
Speaker 2: I agree. I honestly I wouldn't be mad about seeing another season of Winter Games. Yeah, I think it's great. I do feel like I would love to see more of just like the hanging out, the chatting, like the conversations between people. But otherwise I thought it was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, that is an episode. Thank you guys so much for tuning in and listening to our recap. Make sure you download and subscribe to Best Reappy Hour.
Speaker 2: We will have new ausive interviews for you every single week. Thanks for listening. I