Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J.
Speaker 2: Trump's leadership.
Speaker 1: I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported.
Speaker 2: You will never return.
Speaker 1: But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally.
Speaker 2: Do what's right. Leave now.
Speaker 1: Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 3: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 4: You have to have a couple of skill sets. At the core. You're a business attorney. You should be like a strategist.
Speaker 5: You but we need to be problem solvers, fixers because at one time I may be touching what I do. I'll talk about what I do is negotiating the deals as you mentioned with shot like strategize and advocating, but you are making sure the brand is protected, copyrights, trademarks. It could be you know, if somebody's coming to your clients with an investment. If I don't do it, it's finding a network of corporate attorneys who.
Speaker 4: May do that. So I'll call it a dot connector. You're really a dot connector.
Speaker 5: You handle your piece of the pie, which in my case is negotiating, reviewing agreements, redline and marking up and then you know, making sure the client's covered on all of the facets.
Speaker 4: If you don't do if somebody in your network needs to do.
Speaker 6: Is it different from like music, film, television.
Speaker 4: Yes, so they're different.
Speaker 5: Siloed So, I started as a music lawyer, so I know everything about very random fact about me. I used to co own a music publishing company, so I know a lot about music publishing. So it starts for me. I cut my teeth in music. My internship was a music law So yeah, it's music, fashion, film, and TV visual arts. So there are various you know, silos in it between oh, the nuance and sort of the deals, the deal terms and ask that you're gonna ask because what I'm going to ask for music has nothing to do in film and television. So when somebody's saying and snow dissed other people, they're saying, entertainment is exactly what you say, which sort of leg or arm like you'll grow with your clients. I've been able to grow with you on a massive ways and it takes you into other silos. But at the core, it's always good for an entertainment attorney to start in like one as I keep on calling them silos, because you have to know that back and forth. You have to know like music, I need I'll know certain triggers. In terms of somebody's saying, what does a producer need to get Okay, you need to get your front end back in. You need your producer fee, right, so that's one percentage of revenue. Then you need your producer advance or upfront fee. You need your producer royalty rate, you need your back in on publishing, you need your sound exchange.
Speaker 4: I just mentioned four revenue stream.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if somebody doesn't know that you're missing out, you leaving money on the table for your client.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I always like when you get the red line, I want to talk about that, because whenever a contract comes to you, there's a red line version that comes back. I always wander at the time that goes into doing that. And one of the key things that you're looking at, Like I know, like when we talk all the time, it's like the first thing we're looking for is perpetuity.
Speaker 3: If it's in there, So.
Speaker 7: Are there other terms that you know before? Like if I see that in there, we have to have a conversation.
Speaker 5: Oh absolutely, it's perpetuity, like you said, Troy, Yeah, we don't like that word.
Speaker 4: It's like a cursory to us.
Speaker 5: And again, let me give the caveat the only time perpetuity is fine is if the price point could match in a line and it's something that we feel like is negotiable. So I want to give that disclaimer in rare cases for people, and it may be something it Let me give an example. If it's a SoundBite of a song somebody wants to use for thirty seconds, they want it a perpetuity, they pay an applicable price to use it, and we narrow down the territory. Maybe that works for one client, but work for the next. So that's why I always i'm hands on with you all to be like, what do you want out of this? But I know in our case, for my guys, we don't like that word.
Speaker 4: So because earners, what's up?
Speaker 7: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like, the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can trans form your business, visit Square dot com, backslash, go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl, don't wait, don't hesitate. Let Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding of professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas. Man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J.
Speaker 2: Trump's leadership. I'm Christy Noman, the.
Speaker 1: United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens.
Speaker 2: Have been arrested.
Speaker 1: If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported.
Speaker 2: You will never return.
Speaker 1: But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed.
Speaker 2: To return legally. Do what's right. Leave now.
Speaker 1: Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 3: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 5: That I look for that I look for the term. So again, I like to say something. My job is to get you the most amount of money for the least amount of commitment.
Speaker 4: So that's how I treat it. What does that mean?
Speaker 5: If it's a term, can we decrease it? Can we keep it as short as possible and we get you properly compensated in that window of time? If it's five, can we get it in three years? Like? So we're negotiating. Terms are very important payment terms when you're getting paid. How much you're getting paid, and when you're getting paid are very important because we know that could be held up. Companies mean well, but they have their net ninety, they have NET forty five, you know, so when you get paid is very important. Services requirements, duties required of the person. So you may be like I, they may be asking for too much or I'm cool with that, but just knowing up front what is expected of you is important.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to think.
Speaker 5: Of course, everything's important you all again disclaimer, but the major terms, those are things just initially so that when I have calls with you all is busy as you are, I have to say, here's what we're going to streamline. Here are the focal points, and then we attack some.
Speaker 6: Of those intellectual property significant as of entertainment law. So can you talk about intellectual property and can you provide some examples where you've helped your clients protect their intellectual property rights?
Speaker 5: Yes, like you said, intellectual property or if you hear people, you hear them say IP a lot. That is incredibly important. It's important for everyone, But specifically I'm very passionate abou our community as a black community, knowing that because that's often the first thing that's taken away from us. So it's a matter of what you create. And I just want to also say something. When you create something in the United States, copyright law and trademark law. The minute you create, you write a poem, you write song lyrics, there's a copyright. What you want to do is go and take it added layer to it protection and you go to the US Copyright Office, So www dot copyright dot GUV. I tell people, go learn that skill set by yourself, because I get it. When you're coming up, there may not be budgets and fees for lawyers. Go learn how to do some things by yourself. So go there, learn how to folow a copyright. So not the most exciting thing to learn. The process was once you get it, you'll do it. Then you want to see, Okay, do I have it what's called a source identify or brand name. That's a trademark. Do I have something that people are starting to know me by right? Trademark that and I can.
Speaker 4: Use you all for you. I don't mind using you all as example. It's clients, Sure, earn your leisure.
Speaker 5: We are sitting here because this is a federally protected trademark. That is what you do before things get big. You protect your assets, assets and reliabilities is a trademark that's protected, Sashad and Troy. The best example of using here is you all of the company that you all have and companies. I'm sorry, it's protected. That's the best way to do it. So whether you get the trademark attorney to do it, whether you do it on your own, just make sure it's protected before you walk into these business stills you all, because I've seen it where somebody has to then either go buy that back or negotiate how to get it back, and of course the price is much higher than it would have been before the star started to rise.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J.
Speaker 2: Trump's leadership.
Speaker 1: I'm Christy Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security under President Trump. Attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: A day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return.
Speaker 1: But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally.
Speaker 2: Do what's right, leave now.
Speaker 1: Under President Trump America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 3: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security,