Speaker 1: Comedy Off Broadway in Lexington. Welcomes David Cross July twenty fourth and twenty fifth, Then catch Jeff Allen July thirtieth through August first, and don't miss Brent Turhoon August seventh and eighth. Comedy Up Broadway opened in downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven and they're still bringing the best and stand up comedy to the area thirty nine years later. Four tickets called eight five nine two seven to one joke or visit Comedy off Broadway dot com coway.
Speaker 2: Well, welcome everyone. It is Kentucky Sports Radio. Tuesday, July the twenty eighth. I'm Matt Jones in the beautiful KSR Studios in Lexington. You can give Sewan the Clark's Pumping Shop full line eight five nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven. They are open today, so go ahead and get in. I haven't talked to you on two weeks eight five nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven. A Vision Auto glass text machine is seven seven two seven seven four five two five four Assision sponsored by the T. J.
Speaker 3: Smith Office called t J Hill.
Speaker 2: MA can pay a couple things Friday New Remote just scheduled in Summerset at a hotel. Am I correct, Yes, what's the hotel? Home Sweet, Home Too Sweets, Too Sweet, don't forget the two Home number two Sweets. Here we go, so Summerset, shout out here we come. I think we've done more shows in Summerset than anywhere but Lexington.
Speaker 4: Last last couple of years, we've definitely doubled but Home.
Speaker 2: But I can't remember a time we've had a crowd show at a hotel in a long time. Home Too Sweets, Too Sweet Sweet, It's gonna be It's gonna be too sweet in Summerset on Friday.
Speaker 3: So this is a remote.
Speaker 2: This was originally Friday was supposed to be UK Football Media Day. It got moved to Monday, so we decided to do a remote on Friday in Summerset.
Speaker 5: You're right about going to Somerset the most. I feel like that's our most frequent Heck, we just announced the Somerset Golf Scramble.
Speaker 2: Yes, Summerset Golf scram Our. Second home. Yeah, Somerset, there we go. How Rogers, We've been there longer than him. I saw he's eighty nine years old, by the way, eighty nine and running for re election. Boy, I'm not done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did forty five years in office.
Speaker 4: He's probably enough, got a parkway named after him.
Speaker 2: He named himself. I mean I could name myself a park where I couldn't, but like you could. So there you go for hal Rogers. Secondly, I you know, we keep having this problem Drew where I say something that I like and then long line today at the Winchester Road McDonald's, oh ol Corn spots. I think maybe the secret got out. Oh man, am I just gonna have to stop? And I ain'ted up punking at somebody. Oh no, I freak with that location. Yeah, so you don't. You got a hard time because you want to tell people about good things. But then now all of a sudden, then the woman said at the window, she goes, We've been so busy today, and I'm like, yesr effect, we let our secrets out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Back in the day, you mentioned going to hotel bathrooms on road trips. Now, anytime I stopped, there's like ten people.
Speaker 2: That to me was the best travel hack. I agree with you. Now you go to a holiday in bathroom and it's lined up, But that was a great travel hack.
Speaker 6: I was.
Speaker 2: I'm not the only one over the years that has noticed that. But that was that was awesome. You know there was Did you ever see what was the name of the guy the cook boordain a da He had a thing where he would go to foreign countries and he would find like some hole in the wall spot put it on a show, and then he would ruin. Oh yeah, because then everybody would everybody would show up.
Speaker 3: There's a movie coming out about him.
Speaker 2: A big fan.
Speaker 3: His books too, So any you have you when's last book you read?
Speaker 2: By the way, Hey, hey, uh what hey, Kentucky, that was a show you were on? That show Hits please Okay? That came out in twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: And cut to the chase. Okay, those are the last two books ever read.
Speaker 2: You only will read books by people you.
Speaker 4: Know, Yeah, okay, yeah. What was the one that Aaron Torres wrote?
Speaker 2: You bring that one up all the time. That was twenty one and Fun Fun twenty thirteen. Ramone on the cover of all the people from that team he had Harris and Ramone Harris. I'm in the middle of my first John Grisham book seeing all the hypes about well those are old too, I mean, what are a pretty newer one. Oh so you didn't do like the firm seeing.
Speaker 5: The movies of the firm, But yeah, I had to see what all this hype about is. This is John Grisham, guy's you should.
Speaker 2: Try a new guy that just came out recently, Bill Shakespeare, Homer, all kinds of his. It's called a five nine twenty two eighty seven. We are gonna do something rare, which is I'm actually going to start about basketball, which is not what we do in the summer. But I am because the uk SEC schedule came out yesterday and we already knew who they were gonna play.
Speaker 3: Now we just know the order.
Speaker 2: And it is clear to me in recent years that the SEC has made a move to where they are for Kentucky, and I don't really know if they're doing this for the other teams. I kind of think it's for Kentucky. They are backloading these schedules to where Kentucky plays all the bad teams early and then plays most of the good teams late. Probably because I'm sure this is happening all across the sport. They're essentially saying people are not gonna be paying attention to college basketball until the NFL ends really until February, so we're putting all our.
Speaker 3: Good games in February.
Speaker 2: That kind of leads into March. And also it's not even I think it's just that's when the nation's attention shifts to college basketball. So it puts pressure, I think, on Kentucky to get off to good starts in the SEC. So like last year when we started poorly, we didn't think we'd make the tournament necessarily, and then we went on a little bit of a run. But all you gotta do is look at the schedule this year. This is who we open up with at Oklahoma, Old Miss at Missouri, LSU Vandy at home at Mississippi State. You could really start out hot. You could make an argument those are five of the six worst teams in the SEC, yep, in our first six games. I mean, you could make a strong argument that if you're sitting there looking at our schedule, you would say, with the exception of South Carolina, who are the worst teams in the league, and we start with all of them yep. So you could have a chance to go six and oh five and one to start the SEC.
Speaker 3: Do you like that?
Speaker 5: I do, But you gotta capitalize you do, Like, I don't want to put too much on them, but you kind of need to start six and oh maybe you slip up one. But if you drop too many in that game, you head into the back end, which we'll get to. I mean, that's those are your most winnable games right out of the gate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've got to come out hot.
Speaker 4: It's not crazy. You could go undefeated in January.
Speaker 3: You could.
Speaker 2: If you want to contend, you might need to. I think if you want to win the league, you do probably need to do that.
Speaker 4: Wait set up if if Tennessee and Vanderbilt, or maybe your two toughest games they're both at RUP.
Speaker 2: But just think about it like this. Here are your five Saturdays in February March. These are the weekend games in February and March. Alabama at home at Tennessee, Arkansas at home, Auburn at home at Florida. There's your Saturday games that's tough in February March. They basically and that is essentially you could get those phone calls Rick. That is essentially UK being a prime Saturday every week on ESPN, And that's the way it's going to be set up.
Speaker 5: Last year, I guess you needed the mall. Sorry the week before that at Texas. Yeah, last year they needed Mamalachai you know, famous play to not be one and three to start conference play. If you start anything like that, you're in big trouble. But just like last year, we played all the bad teams. So I think this is my point is this is clearly a pattern.
Speaker 2: It's not an accident. This is what we're gonna be dealing with probably going forward, which is you just have to assume. So you get January to get your engine ribbed, but then you better ryan have it riffed.
Speaker 4: If you were a pope, you'd almost want it this way right, kind of find your footing early, you kind of get play your best basketball at the end of the season going into March.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of pressure to do it right away. I might rather just be kind of more balanced instead of one or the other. But it's done the alternative of playing the hard games first.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm kind of with you because you don't. I mean, you have a shot to go into the NCAA tournament. You might even be playing well and losing three to five just because of the way your schedule is Luckily they don't do that thing anymore in the tournament where.
Speaker 3: It's like the last ten games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no reason, right, they claim, they claim that that doesn't have anything to do with it. But then just kind of big picture on the schedule, you're gonna have this long period of time, So like, let's just look at the Rupperina schedule. So, win are the good games in Rupperena? All right, do we have any home games Louisville in December?
Speaker 7: Wait?
Speaker 2: When do we play Louisville the twelfth? December twelfth? So one good home game in December. Here are your home games in January Old Miss, LSU, Vanderbilt, Tennessee. So you're gonna have essentially there's not gonna be there. You're gonna play Louisville in Tennessee. But besides that, you don't really start having good home games until February, and then they're just murderers row there for a little bit and then you get Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Texas, A and M. But it's interesting, if you're a home season ticket holder Tennessee, you played January twenty third, you will go from the start of November till January twenty third with really one good game, the Louisville game, and that's it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is Ryan always beats this drum, But this year I think he's spot on about the home scheduling fans not getting many good games. There's Marquee games in the non conference, but only the one at home. Otherwise it's Bryant and James Madison and Manhattan.
Speaker 2: Now you get a good great you get a great run if you're a home season ticket holder the last four weeks of the season, right, you got hopecent? Do wonder?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I do wonder, Like how if you're UK, do you make sure in November, December and January you have good home courts? Remember last year we lost to Missouri at home in part because the gym was sleepy. You know, when you play Old miss and LSU and Vandy in January, you got to make sure there's a crowd. And I just think it's be hard to get momentum in Rupperena because we're not playing anybody until January twenty third.
Speaker 4: Preaching to the choir here, That's why I like they need to have more of those games in December. Just schedule a couple of those Saturday Prime primetime games at Rupperina.
Speaker 2: Now John cal Perry says, by the way, I don't believe him, but he does say we tried to call three hundred teams to get them to come and play a home game at Arkansas and nobody would. Now, I'll remind you this is the same coach who said home games were worthless when he was here. But I do wonder if in today's in isole era it is hard to get teams to come into your gym.
Speaker 5: There's been other schools say, not just Cal They've said they've had trouble scheduling games like that.
Speaker 2: It is, I think, very hard because when you play, let's just say Kentucky wanted to play Yukon. Okay, Kentucky and Yukon can agree to play two different ways. You could either have two games on neutral courts, sell twenty thousand seats, split the revenue in half, and they get to sell it to a TV network. Or you get to play one game at home where you keep the revenue, and Yukon gets to play one game at home where they keep the revenue. The reality is there's more money in playing twice on a neutral court, and I think for both Kentucky and Yukon. If they were gonna start a series, it just makes more sense for them to go play on two neutral courts. And I just think, Ryan, that's what we're gonna see going forward.
Speaker 4: So how do they fix it?
Speaker 6: Then?
Speaker 2: How don't think you can fix it? I think the incentive structure is on these schools to go play neutral court games. It's not just even about the tournament. There's such a push to get money that I'm not sure they can do anything but this. And I think really the only answer if you want better home games is you're just gonna have to play more SEC games.
Speaker 3: How many SEC games do we play?
Speaker 2: We play eighteen, You probably gonna have to play twenty or twenty two and then you'll get better, or otherwise you're just gonna be playing coppin State.
Speaker 5: And as we saw with Duke, when you get out of your own gym, you're not tied to your rights and you can go sell to Amazon and get whatever that want.
Speaker 2: Right, So Duke's a perfect example. Duke could have played Michigan and now that game got postponed. Now they're playing Texas Tech. But let's just say you're playing Duke in Texas Tech. They could go play in Cameron and go play at Texas Tech and only get so much money, or they could and they have to put the game on ESPN. Or they can go play on a neutral court and go sign with Amazon and get five million dollars. They're gonna go sign with Amazon. I mean, that's just gonna be what they're gonna do.
Speaker 4: So if they expand the SEC and start playing those games in December, then.
Speaker 3: I think you'd have to Yeah.
Speaker 2: So anyway, I think if you're just looking at how the schedule sets up to win, it gives a Kentucky a runway to get good.
Speaker 5: You can find yourself on the top ten if you could down there, you really could, like cause our non conference schedule, we've talked about this.
Speaker 2: It's good, but it's not as good as it usually is. I mean, the names are good, but the teams aren't as good. Louli's the only top ten team we're playing this year in the non com.
Speaker 5: Kansas and North Carolina aren't where they traditionally, they're.
Speaker 2: Not where they usually are, and Indiana is not usually where they where they've been years ago. So you actually have a non conference schedule where the names look good, but Ryan, the teams are not as good as they usually are, Like.
Speaker 4: You mentioned Kansas, North Carolina, Kansas, we had the recruiting battle with with Stokes Kenny, but they may not be good. And then North Carolina did what a lot of fans here wanted to do. Get rid of there.
Speaker 2: And then Virginia Virginia who's good but not but not great. No, so that place will be on fun Kentucky has a chance to have a really good record starting February, which is awesome, but they better be careful because if their record's not good, it's like the Reds this year. The back end is brutal. You don't want to limp into that back you know you don't. Uh eight five nine twenty two eighty seven. The text machine is seven seven two seven seven four five two five four. We will take a break. Take your calls. Khalil Whitney comes in at eleven thirty. I'm excited about that. I think he's ever been on here? Has he he was on last summer when you were gone, Well, he hasn't been on here with me, so I'm excited to talk to him. We'll be right back to Cassel Welker Back Teckie Sports Radio. Uh, you did read a book. People remind me I had you read the plot The Plumber that it was really good.
Speaker 4: You really enjoyed, really enjoyed it. I couldn't quit reading it.
Speaker 3: And now there's a that the sequels out and it's called the Sequel.
Speaker 4: That's why I asked you said, what's it called the sequel? The sequel?
Speaker 2: I'm going to recommend another book to you. You think you could read a book in the month of August if I gave you the whole month. Yeah, okay, I'm going to bring you a book tomorrow. I don't know what. I'm gonna have to think about it because you know, it has to be designed for your brain.
Speaker 4: Right, You did a good job on the plot, because that was the plot was good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, I've recommended that to a lot of people.
Speaker 4: I've I read Breaking Cardinal Rules.
Speaker 2: That's good when I have that on my desk, Htina, Huh.
Speaker 3: But yeah, she signed it for you, didn't she?
Speaker 2: I don't know, did she? I think I think I got her to sign it for you. Yeah, so you know big time. Yeah, I have a couple of autographs, you said.
Speaker 3: Richie Farmer is a big John Grisham fan.
Speaker 5: Richie Chim's in a lot lower listener, and he's letting me know other Grisham readings I should get into.
Speaker 2: Before I go to the phones. That's one thing I forgot to tell you all. So last week, you know, I was, I was at ESPN. I had to drive back to New York City. Okay, that's like a two hour drive, but if the traffic's bad, it can be three three and a half hours, like, it can be really bad. So I was thinking to myself, Okay, I don't want to drive into the city during rush hour, so I'm going to stop and eat somewhere outside of the city. Now, you and I, Drew, we watch Your Friends and Neighbors, right, of course, John haml It's set in Westchester County, and I was like, you know what, I want to go see where John Hamm and James Marsen are breaking into these houses? Right, and it's supposed to be like one of the richest places in America. But I didn't want to eat at a Foo food plays, so I look up Peruvian restaurant. Okay, So my point is I'm in a Peruvian restaurant in White Plains, New York.
Speaker 3: Walk in.
Speaker 2: There's only one other person there. I look, he's looking at his phone and I can see over his shoulder he's on Trilly Donovan's Twitter. Oh wow, follows ball. So I'm like, this is a ball follower. This guy likes college basketball. But it's a little weird that I saw who he was looking at on Twitter. Then I come around to the front. He's wearing a Saint John's Basketball T shirt. So I'm like, all right, I gotta talk to you. I'm like, I don't mean to be interrupt, but I could see you were looking at Trilly Donovan's Twitter account, and he was like, yeah, you're a college basketball fan.
Speaker 3: I said yeah, I go what do you do?
Speaker 2: And he goes, I'm the director of analytics at Saint John's Basketball. Wow, no kidding, he's the director of analytics. Then we look, he follows all of us. He knows who we are. We talked about Rick et cetera. I set with him for like an hour in this proving restaurant and just talked college basketball analytics. Fascinating, Like he told me the stuff he has come up with, like the analytics he's come up with and we started talking and then Kentucky came up. Okay and I said, wow, okay, he goes, I gotta ask you a question.
Speaker 3: He looks at me.
Speaker 2: He said, you know, we played you last year, and he said, so I had to study your team because we were we were playing you. Hopefully he wouldn't mind me saying this. Actually, it's just it's just Drew. I'm telling story. As you get into it, it's very specific.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean like it's but.
Speaker 2: Then another person walking into the there was somebody completely different conversation. But he said to me, he goes, when I studied your team, he was like, we came into it hearing what it was such an analytical team and he was like, but it really wasn't and I went, well, yeah. He said that was a really oddly put together team. And he said, you know, what do you think Mark Pope was thinking? And I said, I don't know, but it was interesting because it confirmed and he said, of course you all played. The one good game you played that year was second half. But it was interesting to hear him say that. And I asked him what he thought of this year's team, and he said he hadn't looked at it yet, so he doesn't know did you get in any Rick stories or anything. We talked a little Rick. He really liked. He love what a random. So we sat in the Peruvian restaurant in White Plains, New York, talking ball. Me and the Saint John's director of analytics. We talked a lot about Kenny Klin because he had just been He had just gone to the funeral in Louisville, so we talked a lot about him.
Speaker 4: But anyway, had be interested to hear somebody from the other side talk about the analytics of art.
Speaker 2: The team dorky side of me was listening to him talk about like the stats he's He said, he has stats he's created the only Saint John's uses and he said, we license them to a couple of other teams, and it was interesting he gave He told he sort of explained one of them. Because you want to move to license and work for us.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, he wouldn't be The worst thing was.
Speaker 2: He also doing your Friends and Neighbors Tour.
Speaker 7: No, he.
Speaker 3: Lives there.
Speaker 2: He was a former like Hedge fun guy that retired and just decided rather than just live a life of luxury, he would go work at Saint John's because he met Rictino at a golf course, told him what he did, and Rick just hired him.
Speaker 4: Analytics guy.
Speaker 3: Just kind of an interesting story, Jacob, Go ahead, Jacob.
Speaker 7: Hi, good morning for another morning random. But I just want to call to comment on yesterday's discussion of the most reliable McDonald Machines ACA.
Speaker 3: So by the way we put we put that clip up.
Speaker 2: It went mega viral on on TikTok, and there are people in Ashland who claim it's not as reliable as they as they say, what do you say being in Ashland.
Speaker 7: I don't live in Nashville. I grew up there, my parents still live there. I would say I've actually never had an issue with the McDonald's ice cream machines, but I do have one three theory for why they may be better than in other parts of the country. Nearly all the McDonald's in the area are owned by the scene individual who started like started out the started about fifty years ago with one location and now owns like sixteen different places, sixteen to Bert McDonald's locations. But he's still he retorted about parents, like they've runed it. They go there for breakfast, so he's still okay, I'm telling you no.
Speaker 3: He still takes it seriously in cares.
Speaker 7: He does, like he stops by, like like rangle me, stop by to make sure that everythink's clean, and he'll like check with the customers who are in the store, like if they're having any good experience, these are any issues. I would also argue that as a part of this, the Action Man area probably has the cleanest McDonald's in the country.
Speaker 3: Then all right, well I appreciate the call. So there you go.
Speaker 2: If people who care about their their workplace end up having working ice ice cream machines.
Speaker 5: I like there's a few fast food places that will still have like like an older gentleman leaned over cleaning all the tables and greeting you. It's few and far between. I think Chick fil a might.
Speaker 2: Old people still do the coffee thing.
Speaker 3: And McDonalds, Oh yeah, definitely. Oh yes, And when you go indoors.
Speaker 4: There's like four or five guys just sitting there.
Speaker 2: But that's still a thing. I mean, that was the thing for a long time. Yes, I can't wait to do that. I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: Are you gonna do that?
Speaker 2: Guy? Oh every morning just talking trash about whatever's going on in the world.
Speaker 3: I like that small towns are the best for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I bet Somerset will have it on Friday. We'll take a break if I'm nine two, eight eighty seven.
Speaker 3: It's KSR.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, take you sports Radio. Can we be honest here for a second, Drew, Yes, crust Tree, you don't think we're gonna be very good?
Speaker 3: I mean, like I think we need to.
Speaker 2: I don't run from it.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't know how much. You just don't think we're gonna be very good.
Speaker 2: I love the starting five.
Speaker 5: I'm very worried about everything behind that, like Cam Williams had another surgery and still not practicing when he's supposed to make a big jump.
Speaker 3: But you are genuinely like you do you think there's a world we have the season we had last year again?
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely. I don't think we're gonna stink or anything. But I don't think we're gonna reach the standard of Kentucky basketball. I'd love to be wrong. I mean, I'm gonna be looking for him.
Speaker 3: Let's just assume you want to be you want to be wrong.
Speaker 2: But it's a really tough spot when you are doing a show like this because people Ryan wants you to be excited and they want you to be optimistic. And for the most part, I haven't seen these guys play, so I'm remaining optimistic.
Speaker 3: But I can tell I know Drew well enough to this is Drew.
Speaker 2: This is Drew.
Speaker 5: You just you are very skeptical. Again one through five of love. I love Wilkins. I think Wilkins is gonna be awesome. Obviously, Melan's Melan. I think we're gonna get the big jump from Malachi. I just went out of look at that bench. That's where I get concerned. Like back court depth right now behind Malachi.
Speaker 3: Is worries me.
Speaker 2: We have nothing behind Malachai. Obviously Frank, but he's not playing. He's never played a full season. Like, I just worry about the health of these guys that are gonna need to step up and play big girls. I have no complaints honestly about one through five. I mean, you think fans are okay having the honest conversation that we might not be good, or do you think they just want to assume we're good.
Speaker 5: I want to assume there's a lot of hoping with this team. I've said that before. I mean, if Cam Williams still makes a jump after your surgery, that's gonna be huge year.
Speaker 2: That'll be huge. Is it fair to say that by what we're hearing from practice reports, you can't put Brayden Hawthorne in.
Speaker 5: The He's gonna be a big time contributor. It seems that way. I never really thought that to be good. I didn't either, But like you know, when you hear from the practice reports, people they're given the scal slow down, and you Cam Williams to have a good I mean, that's that's what people say. Now again, they could be wrong.
Speaker 4: So then what about the report we heard last year that he was often the best player in practice.
Speaker 2: I don't. I didn't hear those reports. You might, I don't know who you were talking to. They may have been the same people saying Lamar Wilkerson was coming here. But like, I don't, I never heard those reports, did you. Well, yeah, okay, Now I will say not to be a negative nancy of Frank plays the whole year. They'll be fine there. Frank's good. I like Frank a lot. It's just when he still hasn't practiced this summer and in his career has never played a full season, so that concerns me. Just stuff like that, really, really the injury situation. I know it's only July, but at some point these guys need to get on the court and start ramping up for the season.
Speaker 3: Madison, go ahead, Madison, how we doing? I'm good?
Speaker 7: One thing?
Speaker 8: Question number one is I know we have not gotten a spread out for the Youngstown State game on September fifth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't have that yet, probably won't.
Speaker 2: I don't know if we will have it because they usually don't do spreads against teams in the in the division lower.
Speaker 8: And then two, h what are y'alls? What game?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 8: What's uh? What other game on the non conference schedule do you think will be announced? Because I've read it was one more game.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean you, we appreciate call. We were looking at the calendar. It's got to be December fifth, because they don't have a game yet. That date's open. It's open now. That's also the SEC championship and uh in football, and Drew always hates when we schedule a game like that. Yeah, but I think we're gonna play on December fifth. I assume My guess is they're trying to book a marquee opponent on December fifth.
Speaker 3: They just haven't done it yet.
Speaker 4: They're out looking to see what's the best name, sexiest name we could get to bring into upper end of that day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, you think it's for rub I think it's for rub Well. That would be good.
Speaker 2: That would change the whole outlook of the not of the for the season ticket holder. If you got a big game on December.
Speaker 4: Fifth, I'm hopeful that's the thought process. And you're talking like you know so, No, I don't, honestly, I don't, Okay, all right, Yeah, I think they won a good team on December fifth. If you look at Kentucky historically in the last five years, they've tried to play six good teams in the non conference, and right now they have Kansas, North Carolina, Indiana, Louisville, and Virginia.
Speaker 3: That's five. So if you look at it historically there they usually try to get one more.
Speaker 4: It's got to be tough this time of year. All the other schedules are probably there.
Speaker 2: But well, I mean Arkansas like that, Cal said, we still have a gamer too. I think there are teams that have now. I don't know how many there are. I just saw, you know, the Duke Michigan game just got canceled, so maybe maybe you get to play Michigan bring them in, right, I don't know, Rob needs a game. As we said to start the show.
Speaker 5: Usually, I think Ryan's a little harsh on the home schedule, but to only have Louisville and Tennessee all the way through almost starting in February as a problem.
Speaker 2: I'd be surprised if they don't get a good team in that game, because again, they kind of have a thing. They've been doing this in the sixth They want to play six good non conference games. Right now we have five, so I think they need one more. Charlie, go ahead, Charlie. Hey Matt, how you doing doing good?
Speaker 6: So first of all, I went to a mc tribe the other day and it's probably one of the best McDonald's I've had in a long time. So kill I'm mctripe had I think they're coming back?
Speaker 2: Okay maybe and I'm not saying it was me, could have been you or Ryan or whatever. Maybe that was the incentive to fit up a little bit.
Speaker 6: Oh yes, but one more thing. I went to shape shack the other day and they have these screens everywhere now that you order yourself, and it takes so much longer than just telling your order. And I finished doing my order and it goes, would you like to tip a team member? Who am I tipping me? I just did the whole job.
Speaker 2: Well, we got maybe they would say, the people then the people that make the We gotta no, no, we gotta.
Speaker 6: Stop in at rupp Arena. It's like I spend thirty dollars for two beers and they want to make me pay a twenty percent tip, and they'll give you a dirty look if you put zero. I would rather have no more tips on screens and keep the twelve dollars beers.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you a question.
Speaker 2: Are you willing to Are you willing to not tip but raise the minimum wag?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 6: Okay, I love dipping waiters and bartenders, But we got this screen thing.
Speaker 2: Man appreciate the call, all right? That sounds like Shannon. He's here for Shannon today. There's a coffee place I go to. I won't name it, but they have a really good coffee, but it's very expensive. It's like a nine dollars drink and then they turn it around it's like, do you want to tip? But then they just make the most awkward eye contact. Please don't look at me. You get it because they look right at you, and it feels like, you know, they'll carry I like the ones. I will tip more if they look away.
Speaker 3: No, I'm serious.
Speaker 2: If they flip it around and then they look away and give me some privacy, I will reward them. If they stare me directly in the eye, then I'm like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they give you their little calculator looking thing and just kind of stare at you while you're trying to punch in a tip, they.
Speaker 5: Give like puppy dog guys, and it's like, I just watched you pour this coffee out of a When we introduced the system at ks bar where we handed you the thing, yes, we only did that in the last year.
Speaker 2: The servers told me that in their experience that handing someone a machine ended up giving them a slightly less money. They basically said, it keeps people from stiffing you, but they usually don't go as high as sometimes, so you don't get the really low tips, but then you don't get the really high tips. Does that make sense? So when it says like eighteen twenty twenty two, no one gives more than twenty two, whereas when you hand do it sometimes people will be really generous give five or thirty. But then you also don't get the people who do special I'm only giving you ten. So they basically said it tends to even it out. So some of the servers liked it, but the ones who were really good and used to get big tips, they didn't like it because they thought made people less likely to give big tiap on it.
Speaker 5: It's my other big complaint. And as a former server over tip, I think most former servers tip really well. I'd say ninety nine percent of them. But I've been to places now where it's like do you want to tip twenty two, twenty five or twenty eight?
Speaker 3: That was like, my goods.
Speaker 2: When the minimum is twenty two, that's I think a little that's wrong. Let's go to Amanda. Go ahead, Amanda, Hi.
Speaker 9: Im in a yeah, I'm Amanda.
Speaker 6: Sorry, it's okay.
Speaker 2: How are you good?
Speaker 9: I'm from the Red Mile. I actually worked for the Red Mile. I heard your segment yesterday, so calling in about that. But on the tip thing, I really do think people tend to tip more if you are handwriting it rather than doing an on a machine. I know as a former server, I always try to tip as much as possible. But we see the same thing at Red Mile as well.
Speaker 7: A lot of people can.
Speaker 2: So it's or can we ride on one of the cars like Ryan did with our nose up against the horses.
Speaker 9: Yes, so we can actually do that.
Speaker 7: We do that a lot for a lot the newcomers.
Speaker 2: Some of our owners like to get in there.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 10: But we tried to make an experience for you know, the guests.
Speaker 6: But yeah, we definitely would love to get You.
Speaker 9: Had Hannah.
Speaker 10: We had Hannah hammelback out from w L e x uh last week and had her out on the.
Speaker 9: Jog cart actually in a double seated jog cart behind the horse.
Speaker 10: So on the other side, like you were talking yesterday, you thought, on the wrong.
Speaker 2: Side, we have both Okay, I mean I'll let Hannah Hammel back do that. So so so yes, we would love to do that. You you wrote, uh, you wrote me and and and I would love to make that happen. So we will.
Speaker 3: We will get in contact. And I appreciate you reaching out.
Speaker 11: Hey, no problem.
Speaker 10: I appreciate you guys actually talking about the Red Mile and letting people know that we are still there and there are things going on there, you know, every weekend, so especially on Sundays. We're trying to emphasize the community, family aspect of environment, you know, even though we're attached to a casino.
Speaker 3: So well, I appreciate the call. Well, we will ride on one of those.
Speaker 2: That would be fun. Sounds fun.
Speaker 3: It does sound fun.
Speaker 2: Don't forget. We've got a dollar ninety nine stake night coming up too. That's crazy to me. Ninety nine steake. I'm not going and getting on Friday night.
Speaker 3: Oh by.
Speaker 2: Big spender. A couple of them if you want. That's one of Uh. That's like Larry's joke. He would go to the dollar store and you can go and would say to me, you can have two of anything here. That's what you are with the Steak Central Kentucky has over one hundred banks and credit unions who offer more than two hundred checking accounts. Why can't Banking Just be Simple is the only credit union in Newsweek's Best in State's rankings. UK credit Union believes in simple and that means simple checking, easy pay, direct deposit, cash back on every debit card purchaseing more simple checking from the official credit union in the University of Katucky, Kentucky. Membership of elgibily required ensured by n c U, a UK credit union. We'll take a break, beer back, Khalil Whitney, eleven thirties KR, Welcome back, take you sports radio. So apparently we've already scheduled game for December fifth. You all were supposed to tell me that that happened last week. Yeah, at a powerhouse.
Speaker 3: Well that's a terrible home skid.
Speaker 4: It's awful.
Speaker 2: Read me that. Read me the non conference home games a right, Manhattan? Come on, are you there?
Speaker 3: Rick? Okay?
Speaker 2: First of all, Rick, you and I have to talk for a second. What you we We hadn't even gone to the phones. And then of all these people on the line, you put on Bob and Jamestown. Rick, are you trying to prank me? Now? Why did you put on Bob and Jamestown? I didn't call for him, No, I hit the wrong button.
Speaker 4: Got some problems with the falling system here today?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: All right, all right, well then before we go, I'll go to that Bob. Bob is not next, but go ahead, read me the home teams.
Speaker 4: Manhattan Boo, James Madison Boo, Northern Arizona, Grambling State, Happy State, Bryant.
Speaker 3: Heating in the Air, Louisville.
Speaker 4: Sacred Heart, not the Louisville High School, Gardner Webb.
Speaker 2: That's awful, and that really is awful. Well, those are those are eight bad games. James Madison's the best one besides Louislle, besides the little broad Reunion game, Preston Sprawling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but if you're a season ticket holder kind of on the fence.
Speaker 2: Schedule, well, Jay Batt's gonna be here Thursday and we'll write that down. Is one of the things that I've about because I think it's fair. Look, you you are fighting for the entertainment dollar. Now, yes you are. You're fighting for the entertainment dollar, and you've got to convince people to spend They can spend it on a lot of stuff. You got to convince them to spend it on you. And those are eight games that it's gonna be hard to convince people to see to spend them on.
Speaker 4: And you're talking a lot of money than if you're taking out a family of four. By the time you park and get concessions, that's a lot of money to invest to watch them play briand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tecre Heart's gonna be tough this year. Noah, go ahead, Noah.
Speaker 11: Hey Matt, thank you guys for taking my call. Appreciate it. You guys were talking about the Odyssey from yesterday and I wanted to recommend something you guys, though honestly it may only apply to Drew potentially, since I know you like Samilton a lot. In the past couple of years, there's it's been going a bit little viral. There is a musical adaptation of the Odyssey called Epics of Musical. It's created by one guy who started out doing random auditions through TikTok, and then it just started lasting people's careers like out of nowhere, and it's it's kind of got its own like viral cult following. It's really fun. Recommended you guys appreciate.
Speaker 2: Epic the Musical. Big musical guy.
Speaker 3: Yeaheah, A big musical guy. I appreciate the call. No, I can't. I don't get it. It's like, why are you singing?
Speaker 5: Oh, come on, Hamilton's Great Book of Mormon. I've seen that so many times. I do like the Book of Mormon and Hamilton was fine. But yeah, but it's like there is a part of me that's like why just say the word? But it's the talent, I know. But like there's never been a conversation where I'm like walking down the street Ryan, Hello, Ryan, do you do right?
Speaker 2: Just say just say you don't need to wrap it like just you know it was good before we didn't get talk about this.
Speaker 3: So Joe Exotic is now in prison and lexing.
Speaker 2: Yes he is, and he's here right right the one I'm down. How much prison time does he have left?
Speaker 4: He's got a lot twenty he's not up to a pro to like twenty thirty.
Speaker 2: It's amazing with all.
Speaker 5: The freaks that Trump has pardoned, that he hadn't gotten to him yet. There was a time when people thought he was gonna get it. He was, he was trying to get it.
Speaker 2: So can you have like could we have him on the show?
Speaker 3: How does it work?
Speaker 2: I don't Ron mentioned having a connection already, so I reached out. We have to be on his approved call list, so he has to agree, correct, So how does one get in touch with him? Because how are you going to call him to see if he'll let you call him? If you can't call him.
Speaker 4: I'll reach back out to my guy out there. But he was going to try to talk to Joe to see if he would be interested in coming on the show with us.
Speaker 2: Oh, you have a Joe exotic prison connection. Yes, Ron, is this someone else in prison?
Speaker 5: No, he's a worker out there, all right, And we could bake him a cake with a note in it and slide it to him.
Speaker 12: So if he approves, if you go, there's approved call list, and then we could just have him on theoretically, yes, what do you mean theoretically, Well, he has to.
Speaker 2: Come to the call. Does the jail let you just interview people live on the radio?
Speaker 4: I think if you set it up the proper channels, they will do.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 4: The proper channels are not too sure about this prison.
Speaker 2: But I know like other prison interviews. Well, I haven't know you, but that's your family I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: To have them on the air.
Speaker 2: I think it's the whole trick is they got to be on this prove list and they like they had that four Maybe we can we go there through the glass. Can we do it through the glass like in like in a Grisham nov I don't know that you can't out there or not. I feel like he wants to talk to us. I can't imagine he's gonna say no. He feels like he.
Speaker 3: Would love it.
Speaker 5: He's still trying to get his Carol Basket message across to the people.
Speaker 2: But do you will you ask? Yeah, I'll do a little more research on it. So you're gonna ask if we can have him on the show, but specifically, could we go and do it there? And then what is the process we need? Because I can't imagine. They're just like sure, like it's got to be I'm sure there's something we got to go through through the Bureau of Prisons or you know, strict Yeah, but but maybe they will. Is this the prison out on Lee's Town Road? Yes, yes, okay. I tried to work there one summer. Oh did you really? Yeah, they had a job. I remember I was at Trancy. They had a job opening. They were like, come be a summer prison guard, which to me felt like a really odd summer job. And myself and another guy were like, we needed a job and this. I ended up working at a dry cleaner, but I went and filled it out. Yeah, I ended up starching people's jeans, but I could have been a summer prison guard. I think you would have been a good prison guard. I mean I don't know how to hold a gun, so I would have been more, hopefully a peacemaker. I think a lot of a I just thought that was a weird job that you could be, Like, here, come do it for two and a half months, trancy boy, before you go off to law school. Here's your gun, here's your taste. I filled out a whole test. I mean I did the whole thing, and then they didn't hire me. So I went to the cleaner. Shocking, But will you try to make this happen? All right, we'll take a break. Be right back.
Speaker 3: It's ks R.