Speaker 1: You guys, this is histories. What you've done with the show.
Speaker 2: You guys should do a platform that into it.
Speaker 1: It's the world's most dangerous morning show breaks DJ Envy every playing by record I made.
Speaker 2: It made you think that you're liking of controversial questions to take your class.
Speaker 1: I like that show. Expect this club. This is my favorite show.
Speaker 3: Wake that ass up Club is on good Morning in Usa.
Speaker 4: Yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo.
Speaker 5: Charlamagne the God beat to the plane in his Friday.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's Friday, the weekend, it's hill.
Speaker 1: We are here, man another day to serve.
Speaker 2: I feel blessed, black and highly favored, and I am extremely grateful. Gratitude is my attitude. And this is our last day as a duo. Yes, we had to be a duo for the past what a year? Yeah, ab a, yeah exactly. All if it's been three hundred and sixty five days exactly, it's been a value. And then we come back from vacation last year.
Speaker 4: About January tenth.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, so it's it's definitely been over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, because Jess Larrs officially joined the Repas Club this Monday.
Speaker 4: That's right, February fifth.
Speaker 1: Breakfast club dynasty continues, Baby, that is right.
Speaker 5: That's right, you know, And let me salute to a restaurant in New York City called Tatiana's. All right now, Tatiana's is a restaurant. Last night was my wife's birthday. Yesterday was my wife's birthday, so we went out to eat and we went to this restaurant called tatiana.
Speaker 4: The chef his name is kwame Uwachi.
Speaker 5: I know I said his name wrong, but he infuses African and Caribbean food together. And when I say, such an amazing place, I had such a good time. I've been hearing so much about this restaurant. I just haven't had a chance to get. I know, sometimes reservations was hard, so we finally got a reservation. When I say the food was so damn good, I just want to salute him. I know a lot of times we don't talk about some of our black chefs, but when I say his food was amazing, the restaurant was amazing, has such a great time, the vibe was wonderful, and I just want.
Speaker 4: To shout him out.
Speaker 5: I know he won Top Chef Season thirteen because I I had to do my homework after I went home.
Speaker 4: And he's opening another restaurant in Washington, d C.
Speaker 5: And the restaurant he's opening in restaurant d C is a hotel owned by our country's first black woman billionaire.
Speaker 4: Her name is Sheilia Shila john Sheila.
Speaker 5: Johnson owns the hotel and he's actually having a restaurant in there as well in d C. So if you ever get a chance and you in New York City, try to get a reservation for Tatiana.
Speaker 4: Such a good fan. I mean, it was so good.
Speaker 2: What did you bring something for us? You're telling us how good it is. People people in Charlton, South Carolina were like the tasty. People in Miami, Florida would like the tastey. People in Houston, Texas like to take it tasted. People in Savannah Jojo would like the tasty. New York is the only think about yourself. Everybody, did you bring somebody?
Speaker 5: If they go to d C, they got to try that restaurant. It's it's a dope, dope restaurant. It's funny. When I was pulling up a couple, they were just leaving. They listened to the Breakfast Club every morning sloop to them, they from Queens.
Speaker 4: I just want to say salute.
Speaker 5: They was like, Yo, you gotta try this, you gotta try that. It was that type of vibe. Everybody was just so cool. It just felt like if you've ever been to the Motherland, you try some of the when you go out there, you try African food. It was it tasted just like that part of Africa. I mean so many South Africa.
Speaker 4: I mean in so many.
Speaker 2: Parts South Africa, South Africa, South Africa.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, but it was. It was such a dope, dope experience. So if you get a chance, definitely checked him. You know, I ran into when there last night to I seen Michael B. Jordan was in there eating as well. I ran into him last night.
Speaker 1: So the white woman.
Speaker 4: No, he was not with a white woman.
Speaker 1: You don't it's not the question.
Speaker 5: He's doing ABCU Classic tonight out in Jersey where he brings up.
Speaker 1: You bring no white woman to HBCU cras man, now don't you do that?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: No man, Umar's watching. Shut up man.
Speaker 5: He brings all the HBCUs together and they do like a big tournament I know Hampton Place Howard, so many different schools will play each other.
Speaker 4: It's his way of bringing shining light on some.
Speaker 5: Of the HBCUs. So I'm gonna be DJing the Classic tonight. But I did run into him there last night. But anyway, let's get the show cracking.
Speaker 2: Yes, Keenan Thompson will be here today. He's got a new book, When I Was Your Age, that's his funny stories and questionable parenting advice from a professional clown, longest running cast member on SNL overall great guy, ken It will be here with us this morning.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're gonna talk to him in a little bit. And then also we got front page news that don't move. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: What's the point of that?
Speaker 2: Whats like Taylor's first of all, morning everybody, we are to Breakfast Club Morning. Taylor's one of our producers, right, much older than she likes that.
Speaker 1: She's scared.
Speaker 2: She's just short, all right, but she wants to be like these kids. So she's like, send me the deets. What the hell of the deets?
Speaker 4: It's details?
Speaker 2: Okay, say details? How why is it so hard to say details. We just had this conversation earlier this week. Okay, some words don't need to be shorten. It's two syllables, details, beats, details, deats. Send me to deets. What a vegetable that's not like beats? Oh my goodness, good morning, Test, good morning. Let's get in some front page news.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: The NBA All Star rosters has been released in the reserves as well. People are saying that Victim one beyond but is not an All Star. But I think he's putting up All Star numbers, isn't he.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say he's putting up All Star numbers. He's definitely on track to be Rookie of the Year. He should be, yeah, the All Star. I don't know if he's an All Star.
Speaker 5: I don't know him and Lively I think are doing great as rookies. But people are saying that he might he should have been an All Star.
Speaker 2: But he's average with twin looking at the night averaging twenty twenty twenty points ten rebounds.
Speaker 4: That's all Star.
Speaker 1: He's not an All Star.
Speaker 4: Twenty points ten rebounds.
Speaker 2: As a rookie. He's not an All Star yet, that's an All Star. He's a super solid rookie. He's not an all star.
Speaker 4: I'm sure there's some people on this list that are not averaging twenty ten.
Speaker 1: I doubt that. All right, Well, what up Taz? Who's going on?
Speaker 7: DJ and B CHARLAMAGNEA God Peace?
Speaker 4: All right, now we're sitting in the rip that Joe Madison.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yesterday was the first day of Black history, and one man for sure that left us a lot of black history is the radio host and activist Joe Madison. He passed away at seventy four.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 7: He hosted the show on series ex sim called The Black Eagle, where he champion human rights and civil rights and so over forty year career, he collected a series of impressions at accolades and awards, including being inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame in twenty nineteen. But one of my favorite parts about his career is how he was an activists. He climbed the ranks of NAACP, being Detroit's youngest chapter leader at age twenty four, to eventually becoming the national political director and finally serving on the nation's oldest civil rights organization board for fourteen years.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 7: Tributes came in from everyone President Biden. Vice President Harris tweeted this. She said that he aligned his platform with a purpose, and through his decade long career in radio, he championed the fight for quality injustice. Our nation is better because of his voice. President Biden also said that along, although he's no longer with us, we hope you join in the fight to fight for injustice. But what I loved about mister Madison, and I'm sure a lot of people agree, is he was known for not holding back on the radio.
Speaker 8: Take a listening record.
Speaker 1: I'm fine.
Speaker 9: I think you need to work on your attitude.
Speaker 2: You got attitude, and.
Speaker 10: I think you ought to kiss my ass. How's that for an attitude. First of all, I don't need you telling me what my attitude is. I'm really pissed off at what I'm hearing when I see stupid ass people who want to be president of the United States. It hasn't done a damn thing, can't do anything. Who is xenophobic? Racist? But here's my attitude towards you. I'm a grown ass man, brother, And if I want to hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, you hear me talking, Hey kid, hey, hot?
Speaker 1: Is ass down?
Speaker 10: And by the way, I'm in charge of this show. I don't wake up in the morning worrying about what you think. Do you understand me?
Speaker 1: Are we clear it all right?
Speaker 10: I don't give a damn about what you think. Are you stupid or something? Dad favor Just keep listening.
Speaker 5: That sounds like my dad's. Sounds like every black fall. I love it.
Speaker 1: My type of radio personality. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You know you definitely use this platform to be of service, So salute to that.
Speaker 11: Brother.
Speaker 7: Yeah, my grandfather loved mister Madison. You said it sound like grandfather.
Speaker 4: My grandpa and Pops kissed.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 7: My grandfather literally passed away watching he was in the hospital and watching him on TV at the literally at the moment you know that he passed away. So I'm sure he has a lot of questions for him now that if they have a chance to meet on the other side. But yeah, my type of personality. So rest in peace to mister Joe Madison. Remember he did that hunger strike for seventy four days. He just did a lot. Remember I think we talked about it here. We just did a lot. As far as his activism, he did a lot of marathons and I think it was in a Guinness Book World of Records for raising money on air. So just you remember that, just a lot. He's just done a lot in radio very long time.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I remember he did the hunger strike. He did the hunger strike for voting rights rights. So he never ate because that never happened.
Speaker 4: Seventy four days. All right, Well that is front page news. What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Next hour?
Speaker 7: Test your next hour? I want to give you a update on the how many stops act it did pass? And also Ron DeSantis he's sending Florida National Guard to Texas, so he's dipping in Texas business and sending I guess uh, Florida tax dollars.
Speaker 1: To do it.
Speaker 4: So we'll talk about it.
Speaker 5: I will talk about that next album right now. Everybody, Get it off your chest. Eight hundred five eight five one oh five one. If you need divnits a Friday, so whatever you need to talk about it, discuss.
Speaker 11: We are here.
Speaker 5: Eight hundred five eight five one oh five one. Get it off your chest. It's the breakfast Club. Good morning, the breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: It's a day.
Speaker 12: Is your time to get it off your chest, whether you're mad or.
Speaker 4: Black, time to get up and get something. Call up now eight hundred five eight five one oh five one.
Speaker 1: We want to hear from you on the breakfast club. Hello, who's this?
Speaker 8: Get your stampa?
Speaker 4: Hey, Debora, good morning. Where you calling from? Hey, Virginia seven five to seven? Fab How are you feeling this morning? Get it off your chest.
Speaker 13: I'm getting just and the company with stations in the morning.
Speaker 11: Huh.
Speaker 1: I just want to talk to.
Speaker 8: You in the morning.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you very much. Man. We appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Which one did you which one did you like?
Speaker 12: Well?
Speaker 4: You were talking about goods and rappers.
Speaker 8: They gave a worker five thousand dollars and.
Speaker 13: Then y'all talked about the appreciation of Sovieta workers and people that can and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And I want to tell you.
Speaker 8: Some books because she loves.
Speaker 2: We'll get your address right now. I send her a whole pack. I got a I got some good stuff up here. I got to meet a Mallory State of Emergency. I got Anita Colepak Shallow Waters, I got Doug Melville Invisible General. I'll send her an advanced copy of My Black Country by Alice Randall.
Speaker 1: Those are all books off my book in print, Black Privilege, publishing. I sent us, sweet, yep, we do that right now, We got right, And don't keep don't keep her on whole forever either, now like y'all be doing.
Speaker 4: She's a long one. Hello, who's this man be this to sign from?
Speaker 6: Good morning?
Speaker 1: Happy Cassan? What up?
Speaker 4: Don't get it off your chest?
Speaker 6: Man envy. I'm tired of these young, able body people that's out here begging for money. Yesterday, this is just one example. Yesterday, I'm at the gas station. It's this guy in the gas station begging for money, talking about he's trying to get a room across the street. And I'm just like, God, don't do work. And I don't think people understand that nobody really wants to work. I mean, it's people out here that love their careers or want to go to work. But for most of us nine to five people, a lot of the time, most of the time, probably it's a drag to get up, but we forced ourselves to do it to handle our responsibility.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, you know, if you love your job, though, it's not work. If you love what you do, it's not work. So that's not for every everybody. If some people actually do love what they do, like we love what we do.
Speaker 5: But Casana will say people, I won't say, you don't know that man. You don't know what that man just went through. He might have just lost his job, you know. I mean, he might have just fell on hard time. So you don't know. You know, it's easy to say that these young able body people can just get a job, but he might have.
Speaker 4: Just lost a job and now even down to his last you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: I agree, and being I'm not saying that that's his perity necessarily, it just made me think of this.
Speaker 8: Think of this.
Speaker 6: I but let me tell you this one time I'm at the at the station and again not the same he won. But so this god, he's begging for money here and he's probably jugger than me at the time. I'm probably twenty five, he probably forty two.
Speaker 1: Hey, so I'm like, well, my job is hiring.
Speaker 6: I could run and get you a job application because I don't say that far from my job, and you can put my name on it for a recommendation.
Speaker 8: He kills me.
Speaker 6: No, I'm waiting on my check to come through. He's weighing on the disability check he tried to clear and I'm just like, Oh, I mean.
Speaker 8: I understand.
Speaker 6: I don't know what the disability is or anything, but a lot of these three fout heres just don't want to work.
Speaker 11: That's true.
Speaker 1: I mean that that is true.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of jobs out there that they could be working, but they choose not to, you know what I mean. But also a lot of people don't want to have to work two in three jobs to make into meat either.
Speaker 1: You know, but I understand what you're saying. I agree. I can see both sides.
Speaker 5: Get it off your chest eight hundred five eight five one oh five one. If you need to vent, hit us up now. It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 12: Good morning the Breakfast Club. This is your time to get it off your chest. Eight hundred five five one five one. We want to hear from you on the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 9: Hello.
Speaker 11: Who's this?
Speaker 1: Good morning?
Speaker 8: DJ Charlottage, the god of DJ on Jill from Newbird.
Speaker 1: Hey, what's up? Brother?
Speaker 4: Get it off your chest?
Speaker 11: What's going on?
Speaker 8: I just wanted to talk about man envy. Why is there so much gatekeeping in the DJ community? Man?
Speaker 1: What you mean?
Speaker 8: Something side? You ask somebody, Hey, where'd you get that mixed from? Where's that song? From Where is this from?
Speaker 14: Oh?
Speaker 8: Man, I don't know, man, interview sent it to me personally something like that, when you know, if you intend it to me, you know what I mean, stuff like that. Man, it just hurts me, especially in my community. But we have little kids. When my little kids teenagers, new birds, you know, pretty bad area. With some of these kids, they just want to get away. So I try to give them, like you know, hard drives and stuff like that to keep them off the streets. So they have music and things like that for people just want to gatekeep with certain music and don't want to help out, you know, be the youngest to keep the DJ community going.
Speaker 5: Now, I think the DJ community actually got a lot better when I was. When I was coming up, there was a lot of people not helping each other, not wanting to talk and discuss certain things.
Speaker 4: But I think that's changed a lot.
Speaker 1: What do you need, I.
Speaker 8: Know, just like you know, I mean, just to help the young young kids. They don't have all the resources. Like like I said, when I was younger, before I thought anything of any equipment, you know, I mean, I did my research. I was on YouTube. I was trying to talk to the DJs, stuff like that I was young, but nowadays feel like everybody just want to hold everything to themselves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's just the people you're talking to.
Speaker 5: I mean I meant to a lot of DJs and helped them out, and you know, I'll be honest with you. They they put me on in new music. You know, I helped them out with whatever they need. So I mean, you just talk into the wrong people. There's a lot of DJs out there that will support and and and help you. Hit me on the DM. So if you ever need anything, you know I got your contact and you could always hit me as well.
Speaker 4: You know, I support and I love my DJs.
Speaker 2: Salute everybody in Newburgh too. Man got mad love for Newburgh. That's the home of partisan Fontaine.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: Hello, who's this.
Speaker 13: Hello?
Speaker 11: Hey?
Speaker 4: What's your name?
Speaker 11: Oh glad?
Speaker 13: How you doing? I wanted you first to say good morning, morning, and I listened to y'all every day. I even remember the ten seconds y'all will want to Seattle like ten years ago.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, we was on in Seattle for a little moment.
Speaker 13: You're right, for like ten seconds, yeah, say.
Speaker 1: About twelve, about twelve, about twelve, But I.
Speaker 13: Was calling I just wanted to raise awareness February and part months and today is actually National Wear Red Day, and I just wanted to give a shout out. I am actually a heart mom. My baby was born with a congenital heart defect and he had to spend the first three months of his life in the hospital. He had four surgeries in five months. But he turns to next week and he's doing amazing and I'm so so proud of him, but going through that journey, like there's so many heart babies. People don't realize one and ten babies are impacted by congenital heart disease, and black babies are a lot of those ones. So I just want to raise the words for that. And yeah, just got out to my baby. Happy birthday to my.
Speaker 2: Little happy born. Did little Juju be and thank you too. You know, we are we are aware that it is a heart aware in this month. You know doctor Joseph Pumer, he's a good friend of ours. He has a has a facility called Soaring Medical, and you know they do heart and heart scam, so you know they do your cardiology, cardiovascular disease, all of that.
Speaker 1: Type of stuff.
Speaker 2: So he'll be up here at some point that's right this month to talk about it, probably next week.
Speaker 13: I just also want to encourage people if you can, like donate to your local children's hospital, you know, the Ronald McDonald House charity. When we were in the hospital, like it was such a hard time, but they like really tried to make usegu meals and Wow cards to get gas in the car and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 8: So I just really encourage people if you.
Speaker 13: Can like donate to so fun the Children's hospital around McDonald House, American Heart Association and all those things. And I just want to try out my baby Instagram is at Drew Kingston and Drew with a J j r.
Speaker 4: U KINKSTI thank you in there.
Speaker 5: I got his whole story on you. And you know what, I got so many toys. You know, my kids, I'll grow toys and I ain't having no more babies. But that's that's a good thing that I could do. With the toys, I could definitely give in to the Ronald McDonald House and the children's hospital, so that way when children do have to go to the hospital, they do have toys to play with it and things to do while they're in there. I mean, I got puzzles, I got books, I got so many toys that's just sitting there. So yeah, I definitely will talk to my wife and we'll do that this weekend. Thank you, Get it off your chest. Eight hundred five eight five one oh five one. If you need the vent, you can hit us up now when we come back. We got your room of report now two R and B kings got into it yesterday. We'll tell you all about it. And when I say got into it, fist fighting Jesus Christ. All right, we'll get to it next. It's the Breakfast Club on morning. I hate this place.
Speaker 1: Why I love it here? I hate this place. This is all live day as a duo. Baby just hilarious. Will be here on Monday. I can't wait. You hear me?
Speaker 4: You may no more na.
Speaker 1: We just had you know, it's better with a three of like it's a trio, not a three on. What I said?
Speaker 2: Man, let me gelon, man acting like I can't talk, and y'all know I can't.
Speaker 4: Morning, everybody, we are to Breakfast Club. Let's get to the room.
Speaker 15: Ors.
Speaker 5: Let's start off with Wendy Williams all out of name or you gossip been on you chatting.
Speaker 1: Is the rumor report.
Speaker 7: I mean, I guess we're on the breakfast club.
Speaker 1: This is where the tea.
Speaker 7: Spells right right now.
Speaker 5: This is documentary coming out on February twenty fourth. In February twenty fifth, the documentary is called where Is Wendy Williams.
Speaker 4: Let's play a little bit of the trailer, please you.
Speaker 11: Put in front of a judge and giving the guardian. That's when they took it away from us.
Speaker 7: I have no money, and I'm gonna tell you something.
Speaker 1: If it happens to me, it could happen to you.
Speaker 4: As her family, we were all sitting on the sidelines watching and she was crying out for help.
Speaker 1: Did you drink this whole thing today? Keep it there?
Speaker 7: Okay, keep it there?
Speaker 15: My mom.
Speaker 11: She always talks, gosh, how she wants to work the IFL as though she's working off.
Speaker 15: She has people around who are yes people and allowing this to continue.
Speaker 9: This is all too much.
Speaker 11: I think she's losing memory.
Speaker 1: Have you guys noticed that? How dare him?
Speaker 7: Anybody could look at her and tell this is not just alcohol, There's something more going on.
Speaker 2: I immediately prayed for Wendy after I watched that and I don't understand why he got the cam. I' r in that woman's face for what Obviously y'all taking advantage of the dysfunctioning. Why do you want to document somebody's somebody's uh downfall?
Speaker 5: Basically see why she needs the money and she probably got paid to do this the documentary. If she says she has no money, she's not doing radio, she's not doing her TV show?
Speaker 1: Do we know she's getting the money?
Speaker 2: If you hear people in the documentary, I think it was her son saying that there's people around her taking advantage of her. How do we know she's even getting the money? How do we know somebody just didn't go do this deal? And you hear somebody else say that she's losing memory, So how we know that she even knows that she's in the right frame of mind to even know what she's doing money getting her If her.
Speaker 4: Family's involved, you would hope she's getting the money right.
Speaker 1: And you would hope.
Speaker 16: So.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I genuinely feel feel compassion for her. I do so that you know how I worked with her for three years. You know that's how I even ended up in New York City. You know from Columbia side. I was doing radio on Columbia Sicking Line at the time. People know that story, but I'm just saying, it's just like, yeah, I genuinely do feel sorry for her. And also because the level of miserable that y'all seeing now, a lot of us saw that way way, way, way, way way way back in the day. It's just clearly gotten worse. The only thing I would tell folks is don't laugh at Wendy Learn. It's a cautionary tale. And she says that in the trailer. She says, if it can happen, if it can happen to me, it can happen to anybody.
Speaker 4: That's right. How how old is Wendy. She's in the sixties, No fifties, I think fifty fifty.
Speaker 2: I about to say, how this temperature, I'm gonna start saying that about people age in a high high seventies, seventies, I guess hot outside of something.
Speaker 4: But she's not.
Speaker 1: She's fifty nine. She'd be sixty this year.
Speaker 4: I said sixties. He goes, no, hell, no, boy, she's fifty nine.
Speaker 1: But I didn't realize it.
Speaker 4: It's not say she's fifty nine.
Speaker 5: She you know, she hopefully she will get a second shot at this thing called the music industry, and in a entertainment world, why not.
Speaker 1: Know at this point that should be the least of anybody's concern.
Speaker 4: Well after she gets to help, if she does need that.
Speaker 2: Her son said it in the doc if you watch the whole two in the trailer, her son said she talks about wanting to work all the time.
Speaker 1: He says, I think she's worked enough. She needs peace.
Speaker 2: That's what she needs to spend the rest of her life trying to do find find peace, not just not just with herself, but you know, you know you want to you hope for you hope for forgiveness.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, You hope if.
Speaker 2: You've done any wrongs you can make them right for in this moment.
Speaker 5: But maybe she can do that in the in the samement world. Maybe she can get back to what she does because that's what she enjoys. It seems like that kept her alive.
Speaker 2: She need to be in front of nobody camera. To me, it don't look like she needs to be in front of nobody camera. To me, that's just my personal opinion. And I also just want to tell y'all for all of y'all that want to be the next one.
Speaker 11: Dy Williams.
Speaker 2: Just know oftentimes that style of broadcasting does not in Well that's just the truth to the matter, that's right. You know, Listen, you say what you want. You know sometimes that that that energy you puts out, it does come come back to you in a lot of ways, right, So you know, you just you just gotta know that.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, the whole totality of things.
Speaker 2: That's why I like watching you know, the old g's that have come before us, because you really get to see the whole totality of how things play out. You can see the things they did right, you can see the things they did wrong. And it's very important to know how your plane is gonna land. So many people's planes are landing in the wheels are not coming out.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay, all.
Speaker 5: Right, well let's keep it moving. Jack Yes, Jack Queese and Trey's songs. It seems like they got into an altercation. They're both out in Dubai and uh.
Speaker 4: Jack Queese posted this about an hour ago, a couple of hours ago.
Speaker 17: I want the world to know this Chanz Trey songs is a period. This is a bro This came in the club talking about you, talking about chanced. Then you come outside the club and swing on your little brother was a Chris Brown a goat you was a.
Speaker 11: Brother bottle that ain't even my you're talking about. That's with these the workers you talk about people that came with it. Hey man, you chance you.
Speaker 17: And I don't give a if you tell anybody anything about what we text.
Speaker 1: You put the message on the bro.
Speaker 11: You can never come around me.
Speaker 2: What is happening? I want to tell y'all something. If we got to bleep that much, don't play the damn clip? What the hell's wrong with y'all? Those producers in this building who put you up to this?
Speaker 1: Well? Call you know what the hell's going on?
Speaker 11: Well?
Speaker 4: Jack Que's and trade songs?
Speaker 1: Oh you know, I.
Speaker 2: Need details, I need every word almost understand what's going on nowadays.
Speaker 1: And y'all just gonna bleep that thing.
Speaker 4: Like that, bleep, bleep, bleep bleep.
Speaker 5: Well, jack Quee's and trade songs. In Dubai, they got into a fight and altercation. Allegedly they jack Queeze is saying Trey Songs ripped out his head during a tussle, and.
Speaker 1: Y'all had to bleep that you had to bleep that y'all couldn't play that for me.
Speaker 5: So uh, I just I just hope that these brothers understand that they are in Dubai and the laws in Dubai are a lot different than the laws in America. And I want those brothers to get back here safely.
Speaker 2: No, none of us care, because all of us of a certain age couldn't even understand what was going on because there was too many bleeps, So we don't even care what's happening all right?
Speaker 5: Well, lastly, juvenile, Yeah, this is something else. Juvenile calls out the Lovers and Friends festival.
Speaker 4: This is what he said.
Speaker 18: Oh, man, here we go again. Man, these can't say lovers and friends. Well, in charge of lovers and friends? Man, y'all doing bad business. Man, y'all gonna put my name on a flyer. And y'all know y'all ain't sitting in a deposit, ain't sitting in no bread or nothing. Keep all playing games talking about y'all gonna get bad me. Look y'all playing games with the wrong mom.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 11: If y'all gonna book me, y'all not gonna book me.
Speaker 18: Take my name off y'all fly I ain't got no problem with that. I could do something else with my time. I ain't tripping, but don't put my name on y'all flyers. If y'all know y'all ain't paying me no money. That's tough.
Speaker 1: Four bleeps, that's all it was.
Speaker 2: And I understood everything that juvenile said just now, and I even know what word was bleeped because of the way the context of how he was using it.
Speaker 1: That's how you talk. Okay, stop putting people on flys.
Speaker 2: If you ain't sitting him, they fronting and you ain't secured the business, uh the way you're post.
Speaker 1: To that's right period. Now see ye see Paul bleeps.
Speaker 5: Well, Mace recently asked to be removed from the lineup The Dream and Mary J. Blos Social confirmed they will be not performing. So this is the fourth artist. So we'll see lovers and friends gotta get it together.
Speaker 2: Well, they got enough people on that talk, so they lose a few, they'll be fine, all.
Speaker 5: Right, And that is your room or report. Now when we come back, we got front page news. Testling figure will be joining us and Kennon Thompson will be here, so don't move it's to Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Good morning, the Breakfast Club. Your mornings will never be the.
Speaker 5: Same morning, everybody. It's DJ Envy, Charlemagne de God. We are the Breakfast Club. Let's get in some front page news.
Speaker 1: What up tears?
Speaker 4: Who's going on?
Speaker 7: Happy Friday? Dj Am, It's charlemagnea God.
Speaker 4: Let's jump right into it. Let's talk Mayor Adams.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we talked about this earlier this week. A lot of different opinions about this on the how many stops act and I wanted to give you an update on that now Mayor Adams v told the bill and the latest update is NYC City Council voted in favor of over riding the mayor Mayor's veto for two to nine take a listen.
Speaker 19: Come July, NYPD officers will be required to log basic info about every civilian they stop for low level encounters known as level one stop, such as a search for a missing person. Council member Usef Salaam said it will bring generational change to the justice system. He and four other black and Latino men were falsely accused and convicted of raping a white jogger in Central Park in nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 9: If these laws were in place in nineteen eighty nine, I'll vote on.
Speaker 19: Of the fifty one council members, forty two voted in favor of the bill, saying it will prevent racial profiling. A federal monitor overseeing the NYPD stop and frisk tactics last year found ninety seven percent of people stopped were black or Hispanic.
Speaker 7: Now, opponents say that reporting level one stops, which are classified as non criminal encounters, will slow down response time and take away from policing on the city streets. Here is how Democrats and Republicans voted on the law in their opinion. Take a list.
Speaker 19: Several Democrats even voted in favor who had not previously.
Speaker 14: Where people had to reconsider how their experiences are drastically different than some of their colleagues of color.
Speaker 19: All the Republicans on the council voted against it.
Speaker 8: You must also acknowledge the small increments and administrative tasks that can have cascading effects on our already stretched resources.
Speaker 4: It's asking them to do more while they have less.
Speaker 19: In a statement, the Police Benevolent Association said this will contribute to rising nine to one one response times and diminish police presence in neighborhoods.
Speaker 7: So Mayor Adams, who's obviously a Democrat, he did not support this bill. So this is still you know, up to a lot of people have a different lot of opinions on this.
Speaker 4: All right, well, let's jump right to ron de Santis.
Speaker 7: No problem, Ronda Santis, he is deploying State and National Guard to Texas border. Yesterday he announced he is deploying the Florida State Guard to support Texas during his ongoing feud with federal officials at Eagle Pass. It is unclear what the troops will be doing when they arrive in Texas, but the move is the sent troops. That comes after Governor Gret Abbott has defied of federal authorities in the border community, claiming he's protecting his state from invasion. Here's what a little bit of what rond de Santis had to say at a fresh conference.
Speaker 16: It has the authority to close this border today if he wanted to.
Speaker 1: He lacks the will to get the job done.
Speaker 16: He lacks the capacity to see the problem for what it is and to get the job done. And so the American people are basically left scrambling, and they're left to have to deal with this all.
Speaker 11: On their rows.
Speaker 2: These guys are just better at the political thing than Democrats all man like, literally, like, the board is gonna be a huge issue come election time. And that's why Republicans don't want to work with Democrats to fix it, because they don't want the Biden administration to get any credit for fixing it. And if I was the Biden administration, if I was Democrats right now, and if I was also a Republicans who don't rock with Trump, I would be letting everybody know the re than the border isn't getting fixed.
Speaker 1: It is because of Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: He literally told Republicans not to do the deal that Biden is laid out.
Speaker 1: He's the shadow president.
Speaker 2: He literally told Republicans not to do the deal, and some Republicans are listening.
Speaker 1: That's insane to me. Yeah, well that's how it goes.
Speaker 7: I mean you, it certainly is insane. But again, you got to run on something, you know, everybody on the campaign has to run on something. They're running on immigration. Uh, the Democrats are running on abortion. So he's not going to give him those political points to score. Is it wrong?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: But is that how politics campaigns work?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 7: Absolutely had an opportunity to fix the border when they had control of the House and Senates. So now you've given this this ball for Republicans to run with. In twenty five Republican governors, including the Santis, are publicly supporting Abbott. But this is going past just support. They're saying, we're willing to even put troops on the ground for you. I mean, this is just.
Speaker 2: President aren't the truth fighting other federal authorities.
Speaker 7: But they think they think this is important enough to send to put some action behind, put someone walk behind the talk war. Well, they's say they want to come help with the invasion, that's all. But it's it's more of a it's just like when they dropped the migrants off at V. P. Harris's house. And this is a statement they want to let you know, we're willing to we're going to come together as governors. We're not just going to talk about it, but we're actually going to do something about it and make a political statement so that they can get into the news and continue to push, uh, push the what they believe on immigration, run on that.
Speaker 2: Well after they put it on the floor and uh, you know, Republicans vote against it. I hope the Democrats immediately pivot to let folks know, you know what is actually the problem, and the problem is the fact that Donald Trump, the shadow president, jumped out there and told Republicans don't do the deal.
Speaker 7: Is it really the shadow president? And he making it pretty known from.
Speaker 2: He's the shadow president because he's not the official president. But he's definitely he's definitely, she's definitely controlling things in the GOP. Yep.
Speaker 7: Well, that's why you gotta have something to run on. And that's what they're doing on every level. Again, guys, it's not just running for president, it's every level, governor, state rep state center, you know, all of these, all of the g people will be running on immigrations.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I don't I don't respect any politician who puts, uh, you know, politics over the people.
Speaker 1: But that's majority of them.
Speaker 7: Oh exactly, I guess you know what I'm saying, no respect for no politicians.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly. Yes, that's exactly all right.
Speaker 4: Well that is Front Page News thinking to you is absolutely.
Speaker 2: We'll make sure you subscribe to Teslan figure out straight shot, no chase of podcasts on the black efact iHeart radio podcast network, and follow at tesling figure out on all social media platforms.
Speaker 5: All right, now, when we come back, Keenan Thompson will be joining us, of course, comedian you know for Saturday Night Live. And of course he has a new book, When I Was Your Age, Life Lessons, funny stories and questionable parenting advice from a professional clown.
Speaker 4: We're gonna talk to Keenan when we come back. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club owning everybody.
Speaker 5: It's dj n V Charlamagne de guy. We are the Breakfast Club. You got a but you guess at the building, the legendary ken and Thomps. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome man, Thank you very much.
Speaker 11: Good morning, my brothers. You're feeling it. We're checking in man. Happy Black History Month.
Speaker 1: Happy Black History Month. How you feeling thrilled? My brother? How you feeling energy? Like great?
Speaker 11: My energy is great, man, Like you know, we're having another good season over there. Forty nine about to be the fiftieth. It's getting real over there, man, that fiftieth celebration, I think it's gonna be big this time. At the fortieth it was a lot of people so and you know, you got a new book out when I was.
Speaker 1: Your age, I should have brought the book. I wanted to hear this, to have it propped up.
Speaker 2: I'm slipping when I was your age, Life lessons, funny stories, and questionable parenting advice from a professional clown. First of all, what made you want to write a book? Because you always have been a very private person.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's the longest title ever. I just felt there was time, you know, Like a lot of people, I guess in my position, a lot of my heroes have written books, you know what I'm saying. You got seven right, two? Yeah, working on the third, so h yeah, And people approached me. I was just trying to, you know, make sure I had enough to talk about. Were like people that actually read books, you know, And luckily I worked with a great collaborator, DIBs Bear shout Out, you know, and yeah, we put together a pretty good book. From what I'm hearing, like the people that have read it seem to enjoy it, you know what I'm saying. It's not like three hundred pages or nothing, you know, which was kind of strange. I'm like, damn, that's my life story, like so like you know, but it has definitely been you know, a really cool thing to share with the world and you know, tell my story to my parents' story and you know, siblings, you know what I'm saying, and like let people, you know, kind of know the real me, the origin story kind of thing that I don't necessarily get to tell on you know, talk shows and stuff like that, because you usually want to just talk about the current thing you're there to promote or whatever. So yeah, it was a cool experience.
Speaker 1: Explained the long ass title because it's a lot there.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you know, it's just like I guess I've been doing it for so long that I had, you know, a lot to kind of display, you know what I'm saying, So I have to kind of explain what my position is in this world so far in a capturing kind of title and kind of tell people like what the book is so they want to grab it and read it, you know what I mean. And like that's probably why the title is it's so lengthy. But you know, it's also some comedy there, because yeah, it is so long, and yeah, the good wordage of like being a professional clown and stuff like that. You know, like I take that really seriously, Like I'm an actor you know, so like when I'm clowning around, it's usually for higher kind of thing, you know, as you can see, like my demeanor is pretty pretty level. You say, like I don't really even be getting stressed out of my demeanor doesn't change much. But yeah, big tourist energy over here, you know what I'm saying, and like.
Speaker 1: But you don't seem hard headed though most tourists is, I know, hard headed.
Speaker 11: I get stubborn about when I think I'm right, you know what I'm saying, But like, no, I'm very good with the flow kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Do your kids take you serious? Or they always see daddy as the clown and the joke the last.
Speaker 11: I'm the clown, and I'm definitely in their way, you know what I'm saying, Like I'm in their way for having fun or whatever they want to do. Like you know, when they around their friends, they don't want you know, old Daddy's around them. You know, so they definitely think they're funnier than me, and they probably are, Like they definitely like make me laugh. But that's that dynamic. You know, you're you could be you know, Michael Jordan's son and think that your dad just only plays basketball as opposed to being Michael Jordan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, you got a chapter title called I'm Glad I went broke? When did that happen? You've been You've been working since at least nine.
Speaker 11: And foul yeo. Yeah, Like I've been blessed to continue working. But y'all had a bad accountant and it came to the light around ninety nine, like around two thousand, which was really bad timing because that's right when I left my consistent gig, you know what I'm saying. So then I went into being an adult actor for hire, and that is very hit and miss. So there was some good jobs, like I did Felicity that was cool. And I got to meet jj Abrams when he was young, you know what I'm saying, And that's like a priceless kind of a friendship, I would say, just because he's grown to be, you know, such a major force in the industry. But it was like six months until Love Don't Cost a Thing, you know what I mean. I was happy to get Loved Don't cast things. My brother Nick's.
Speaker 1: Movie Nick Canny had.
Speaker 11: Yeah, we had a lot in my house, you know what I'm saying. I was like at your house. Yeah, I was ridding this house that had a bunch of space or whatever. But we was young, so it was like, yeah, move all the furniture to silences, just you know, throw a party and like invite everybody kind of thing back in those days. So that was fun. But it was still broke, you know what I mean, like just money enough for the rent kind of thing. And yeah that you know, the account was was dirty and I ended up not letting that be the end all, be all of what my life is going to be. So I just you know, moved back to calaun and continue.
Speaker 1: How much did they account and get you for.
Speaker 11: A million and a half something like that? I mean that was you know, my contractual like deal at the time or whatever, but for like overall Nick nickelod Yeah, for a few years or whatever, and then ye saw none of it.
Speaker 2: So you that ain't fun. You walked away from that. So you walked away from nickelodeon the overall deal that.
Speaker 11: Was just up, you know what I mean. You didn't feel like we wanted to continue, like keen Nick hell to college is like we couldn't figure it out basically, and we were just like, I think we should just go figure out what it looks like for us to be adult performers for the world. And it was just like reproving grounds as ill as like it was almost like starting over, you know, because like everybody wanted to treat us like kids or keep us in a category or whatever, and we just had to like learn how to prove ourselves. And for me, you know, SNL was that the biggest bridge, you know, as far as like adults taking me seriously as an adult, because we were already grown, you know, we was in our twenties, you know, so we didn't want to be like thirty years old still trying to play a kid on Nickelodeon. And yeah, the time end of that was just it was just crazy. So it was a couple of years of like, man, I don't know about this whole, like you know, one job here, one job there, like every few months kind of thing, because the bills come, you know what I mean, every month, no matter what. Thank god, life goes in a cycle. So when I was feeling down, I would get a gig and that would like you know, start trending upward, and then you know, trending further up from a love on cars than the barber shop too, you know what I mean. And then Barbershop too, left there and like went to audition for AC and out, Like do.
Speaker 4: You remember that when you auditioned and they called you back and said you got the bar?
Speaker 11: Do you remember that one? Because it was a long process, you know what I'm saying, Like hanging to New York straight from Chicago from shooting barber shop, like feeling great or whatever, and then seeing what you up against and it was every black comic you could even possibly think of. Right, So I had to do stand up at the Stand Up New York. I had never done stand up before. It was a nightmare. And then I saw Call and I hadn't seen him in a while, you know what I'm saying, Like at the audition and that was awkward, but it was like, you know, good luck, good luck or whatever. And then I did three minutes of something terrible because I wasn't a stand up comic. I didn't know how to address the crowd at all. I think I just started with that.
Speaker 4: Was part of the audition. You had to do stand up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you walked up there was like Hi.
Speaker 11: I think I just went right into like al shopping or something. Like talking to on a sorts nager, you know what I mean, like like a kid in his own room, basically like playing in the mirror kind of thing. And yeah, it didn't go well, but they saw something and I got a call back and they were like, all right, we want you to try one more time at the Live Factory. I was like more stand up. And it was a terrible night for me because the other four people were actually stand up, you know what I mean, And they were kept JB smooth for ness Mitchell you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: He Ray.
Speaker 11: It was you know, it was a lineup and they was destroying. And then I went up there and did my little book and like what.
Speaker 4: Were you were you first? Were you four?
Speaker 1: For you? Second?
Speaker 11: I was last?
Speaker 1: You went after d Ray, JB and Mitchell, Yes, christ.
Speaker 11: Yep and Kyle Groom and like Kyle, Yeah, I think Kyle, but I know Kyle was in New York, but I think he was in LA two. But I know I went last after a bunch of brilliant comics. And I was so nervous.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 11: I was drinking out the Saint because that was the bathroom and like the bar was over there, so I didn't want to like go back and forth, you know what I mean, like interrupt or anything like that.
Speaker 1: You really really wanted to kill it, but you couldn't get you know.
Speaker 11: But I was so nervous, Like I was just like, man, I can't quench my thumb, drinking water, drinking water, New York water. Back then, I'm like filling it up with the sink water and like still, and I was just like crazy nervous.
Speaker 4: But did you get booed?
Speaker 11: I didn't get booed, So that was, you know, definitely not a dagger, because if I would have got booed, I don't even know if I would have wanted the job, because would have felt like I didn't deserve it. But then after that, they called the next day, and then I think they called on a Saturday, and I was in New York on Monday.
Speaker 1: And now you're the longest running cast number.
Speaker 4: All right, we got more with Keenan Thompson when we come back, don't move. It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 5: Good morning, everybody, It's DJ NV Charlamagne the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. Were still kicking it with Keenan Thompson his book When I was Your age Life lessons, funny stories, and question of parenting advice from a professional clown is out right now, Keenan ten charlomage.
Speaker 1: You're going to go on after fifty.
Speaker 2: I remember when I when I interviewed you on my late night show, you said you think you should end it.
Speaker 11: That I mean, I thought it would be a good number to stop at it if that was the case, But I don't think it is. I think they gonna keep it running, you know what I'm saying, Like, it doesn't make a difference. If it winds up stopping at seventy two, it doesn't really matter. But fifty it just felt like such a good package, just like you know, here's fifty years.
Speaker 20: Of S and L.
Speaker 11: Time Warner, you know what I mean, Sell that at around o'clock or whatever, DVDs, this, that and the other. It's just a nice round number. Like if they get to a hundred, great, if they get to two hundred, you know what I mean, incredible. It doesn't really matter. But I've never seen a TV show outside of like a game show or a soap opera goal past thirty years, you know, twenty, Like that's just crazy. So I didn't really know how long it was gonna take it then if dude was going to retire, you know after that year. Lord Michael, Yeah, it might be you know, it might be smart to pause it or something like that. But at the same time, Tina can do it. I can do it. Yeah, Steve Higgins, There's a lot of people that can keep it going. It's just will it have the same support, you know, like budget wise kind of thing, Like if you slash the budget, it's a completely different show, and then that's not fair to whoever's in that chair. So it's up to them, you know what I'm saying. But I from what I'm hearing, I think it's probably gonna continue.
Speaker 5: Did you ever feel like you didn't have support of the culture of the community, you know, because starting off as a new culture, any black comedian that's on Saturday Night livedal we.
Speaker 4: Say, oh he's the talking black or he's not that funny. It's like the hate comes first. Did you ever feel it?
Speaker 11: Yeah, And anytime I do something that's you know, pushing boundaries or anything like that, there's a lot of pushback, you know. So I definitely felt like the majority of black people weren't like YO, Saturday Night Live, is my show, you know what I mean. It just felt like, oh, you on that white show, you know what I mean when people talk to you about it. But you know, I took that and was like, all right, well that's how y'all feel. You must not really know, you know, kind of the history of the show and who's really come out of there, you know what I'm saying. And it's just as much our show as anybody else's kind of thing, because you know, we have the biggest start probably in movie history, you Murphy coming out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, Yeah, I've never heard people say that there's token blacks on SNL.
Speaker 1: It just was always there wasn't enough of enough black.
Speaker 11: You know, one at a timing for a while, you know, because.
Speaker 2: The black people they have are black. Yeah, Eddie didn't try not to be black. Tracy Mugan didn't try not to be black like they went for it.
Speaker 11: I don't think Tracy can help himselfing, you know. But yeah, that was part of the conversation that I was talking about when it was time to get more black women in the show. You know. It's just like my my quote that was heavily misquoted or whatever.
Speaker 2: It was just the fact that you know, the pool to choose from isn't large. I don't even remember the quote.
Speaker 11: The quote that they say I said was that, you know, black women ain't funny, But that's not what I said.
Speaker 1: It was like, that's better though, that's a good.
Speaker 2: One about the person writing the story black women ain't FUNDI said black women ain't funny.
Speaker 11: You know. That's basically how they blasted me, like for a while. You know, Leslie was mad, like before she met me, she was like, let them come over here and I'll burn it. First of all, I didn't say that, and when we first met, you know, that was clarified in two seconds because you know, when you and me, you know, I'm not outside the culture like that. You know what I'm saying. I don't disrespect my black women at all, you know, like because like how would my mother look at me, how would my sister look at me? My cousins by this? That and my that I'm not an idiot, you know what I'm saying. And I'm not detached from the world either like that, you know what I'm saying. So I would never say something so egregious. But my point was, yeah, man, like this it's I'm sure there's small, low numbers, you know, in those improv houses wherever they might be. So if I'm wrong, let me be wrong. But I don't think I am because I've been in the business a long time and I go to shows a lot, you know what I'm saying, and I be looking, you know, and I look back on history, like when you watch Chris Farley in his Second City Days or whatever, and you look at the background and his performance. It was tim medals. It wasn't like it was tim medals and as Kevin and there's Joe and there's this that, and then they are all black and together and only Tim got the shot. It was just tim medals there. You know what I'm saying, That was it. You know, you got to look towards the positive, and the positive is it did open the doors for some people, you know, even if it was you know, me having to be the scapegold or whatever.
Speaker 2: So I can't be mad at it. How much longer than I can be, But this point, God got a plan. How much longer does Keenan want to do F n L.
Speaker 11: I mean, I don't know. That question continues to vary, you know, like it all kind of starts depending on like what the kids want to do and where the kids want to be, Like how much more time can I spend with them if possible? And also like are people getting tired of my moves? You know what I'm saying, Like are people getting tired of seeing me on the show all the time? And stuff like that. So it also is a long schedule and takes up most of the year kind of things, So you know, it might be time for like to make room for other opportunities at the same time, but I want to see that fiftieth at least.
Speaker 4: You know, when you watch things that happen, do you have an opinion or as in, do you care? Or is it? The first thing is sketch? Right, So Shannon sharp Catwilliams right, he's going crazy. Are you thinking, oh, this is a sketch. This I'm gonna break it down? Or are you thinking, damn, why's he going?
Speaker 11: There?
Speaker 4: So many people?
Speaker 11: Well, some things are obviously going to be a sketch, you know what I'm saying, Like as soon as I saw it, I'm like, oh, yeah, like this is definitely going to be a sketch, only because like Cat Williams is a good impression, you know what I mean, Shannon Sharp is a good impression, and this is definitely a moment that everybody has seen, right, so it's gonna be like, you know, whoever's first to get the sketch up basically at that point. There's a lot of nighttime shows that could have done it, you know what I mean, or whatever, But when we do it, it's on a different level because like our departments are crazy, like our whig department at Wardrobe, you know what I mean, our sets, like the audio whole team, you know what I mean. Yeah, like the whole team is like on super duper point because they've been doing it for forever and they take it here as they love it, you know what I mean. It's a family, like a generational kind of family that worked there. So yeah, when I saw that, I was like, we're doing this for sure. I wish we weren't on break and everybody was texting like I know y'all about to do this this weekend. I'm like, man, we off for another week and a half, bro, And everyone like, oh my god, we gotta wait. But shout out the eggo man, you know what I mean? She was get in like, yeah, they destroyed it, and I was eating it up because I was it was entertaining, Like the first time I watched it, I was like, oh, snap, you know he said, spilling everything, you know, and I was enjoying it that way. And then of course elders started chiming in, and like when Dave chimed in, like why you're painting us with such a you know, why you're painting dirty, ugly pictures of us or whatever, It's like, all right, I gotta calm down, you know what I'm saying, Like take that into mind, the fact that the bigger pictures we are supposed to be pushing uphill together kind of thing. And it was like, all right, well maybe we shouldn't be lashing out or throwing each other under the bus or whatever. But at first I was like, oh, I love this.
Speaker 2: You know, as a comedian, is that something you would want to get mentioned in? Would you want to say your name?
Speaker 6: Nah?
Speaker 11: I don't want to be in. I don't want to be and nobody driving at all, you know what I'm saying, Especially like you know, the top that they were discussing, I'm like, I could be on the wrong side of this at any given moment if they want to mentioned me. But my perspective on that, in my mind doesn't have me on the wrong side of it.
Speaker 1: But people have their opinion. You might be a plant to somebody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, how you go from good Burger toes and L and be there for twenty years?
Speaker 11: You know, Like that's that's his opinion on that, And it's dismissive unfortunately of you know, like Kevin's been showing up to work all this time, you know what I'm saying. It's not like even if he was like planning and being like, all right, here's a movie for you, he had to still do that movie. He had to show up to this, you know what I mean, and like.
Speaker 1: Don't just diet it. Even if he was planning like he was planning, if he.
Speaker 11: Was just given an opportunity that does come as easy to others say it like that, you know what I'm saying. He still had to take it and run with it, you know what I mean, and do all the stand up and do all the other TV shows, movies and this, that and the other, and like continue his track of professionalists. So like industry plants unfortunately dismisses the work ethic of an individual.
Speaker 2: I you know what I'm saying, And I want to shout out to two black men who first put Kevin in movies, Damon that Ash and Russ Park. Two black men put Kevin in his first project, is that So Playing?
Speaker 1: Before So Playing, it was.
Speaker 2: So and sty and Russ Park put him in something too, but I can'tnot even know the name of it.
Speaker 1: But they were the first two people to put.
Speaker 11: Him out the damn shout out to Rust That's right, yeah, man, like anybody that's giving you a leg up in this business, like shout them out the whole time.
Speaker 4: You know all we got more with Keenan Thompson when we come back. It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 5: Good morning, everybody, c n B Charlamagne God we are the Breakfast Club is still kicking it with Keenan Thompson.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Do you make a phone call when you're about to do a skit or do something about somebody, you know, something happened to somebody that you ef.
Speaker 3: You should you don't. I just take it like you got those calls before, like bro oh.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Steve Harvey didn't love it, you know it at first? You just ain't watch yourself you know, because watch you know, he's a grown man from the streets of Cleveland.
Speaker 1: Whatever it is.
Speaker 11: You know what I'm saying. He is just a big guy, you know, and like he comes from like the knuckle up generation where you had to and get it in the cold, working at factories or whatever. He did, you know. But yeah, at first he was like, hey, little rerun watch yourself.
Speaker 1: All right, you know, so he called you.
Speaker 4: You ran into it.
Speaker 11: I would he would say it on his show, He would say it on the radio and stuff like that. So I would like eventually like call in and be like, hey man, you good. Once we did like an interview or something like that, But whenever I would speak to him, it was always love, you know what I'm saying. But I just think, you know, he had to like make his stamps kind of known for his audience play with blah blah blah. But you know, Steve's also been another mentor because we were on his show back in the day. He gave me a lot of game basically about just growing up and not treating the business so young just because you young. You know, there's a lot of like adults out here that's working really hard, that's got like real problems when they go home, or like, you know, life is serious enough so you can't just be playing all the time.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 2: Basically, how's fatherhood change? Because you've got a change to call everything I need to know about life. I learned from my girls. I got four girls, you got two. Yeah, how does father change?
Speaker 11: I mean it really like showed me life outside of my own personal perspective as far as how I approach the day, you know what I mean, and living for others kind of thing, which was like very different. You know, like when you're in a relationship, it's different, like you're still both grown individuals, so you expect the other individuals to like be able to take care of you know, certain basics or whatever because they grow. But with a child, it's like, no, they need you for everything, you know what I'm saying. In their first few years or the first decade, or you know, even for the rest of their life whatever it is. They need you in such a way that it's like it never turns off. And I had never really experienced that, you know what I mean, where it's like you have to be aware of and know what's going on with your kids, Like on a twenty four hour basis, you know, three sixty five. It's not like you could take a week off just because it's Christmas.
Speaker 1: And what did you learn? What have you learned from your girls patients?
Speaker 11: Definitely a lot of patients emotion like being able to like just embrace having emotional moments, you know what I mean, Because when we were growing up, it was either suck it up, take a lap, do this, or any other kind of thing, and never really like sit in what's really bothering you kind of thing, shake it off, you know what I mean. Like we had all those kind of like sayings from coaches and things like that, or you know, just growing up as a man, you know, like you know, be a man, suck it up kind of thing, and you would hear that. But they taught me like it's okay to you know, feel these feelings kind of thing and like understand what may be causing them and kind of work through it. But also like the perspective of a child, because we go around like you know, kind of looking and not really seeing the world, maybe just because we're seeing it at our height, you know what I mean. When you're smaller, you know, you see probably a bigger picture and stuff like that kind of stopping smell of roses kind of kind of vibe. Basically, who's your biggest critic? Myself? Yep, because I'm I'm the one that sees it all. You know what I'm saying, Like some people watch things and they just enjoyed surface level, but I'm watching, like all snap my shoes and tied, or you know, like my hair and I need a haircut.
Speaker 2: You still got a hairline, you know what I'm saying. That's all the black men can ask. You got a headline?
Speaker 1: God, bless you, God bless Oh my god.
Speaker 2: You and kel just reconnected too, but well not just reconnect what y'all did a good burger too?
Speaker 11: Yeah, man, shout out to my brother Man.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't know if to say how did y'all get back on good turns? Because I don't know if y'all was ever on bad turns?
Speaker 11: No, I don't think, I mean, but at the same time, you know, hearsay and stuff like that can push it in that direction if you don't get like the real answer from the individual. And since there was a period where we weren't really in that much communication, if you know, there were probably innglands of that kind of energy or whatever. But once we actually did speak on the phone because we were doing a good Burger sketch on the Tonight Show or whatever, you know, and we hadn't spoken in years, you know what I'm saying, and we knew we had to like at least talk before we go perform to each other. It was a two second reconciliation, you know what I mean. It was like time had never gone by. Basically, it felt like such a blessing to me and I feel like to him as well, you know, to have each other back and eat each other's lives, you know what I mean, because we do work so well together, and we had established, you know what I mean, something so beloved that it would be a crime to kind of just let it go into the wind just because you know, we wanted, you know, individual career identities kind of thing. You know, we didn't always want to be just Keenan and kel. Like my name is Keenan Thompson and his name is cal Mitchell, you know what I'm saying, And like not a lot of people were willing to recognize that at the time. So that's kind of like where that drift apart started happening, and then you know, as life does, you know, like different experiences are happening, so it just takes you. And then the next thing, you look up and we haven't spoken in seven years or something crazy like that or ten or whatever. It was so for us to reconcile and do the Good Burger sketch that was six seven years ago something like that. That was really really nice, and then that.
Speaker 1: Was sparked a Good Burger too.
Speaker 11: That's kind of sparked like, yo, I think we need to do this, and they were gonna do a cartoon, and it was like, I think you should do the movie first and then do the cartoon. Like everybody's been kind of asking for a sequel since the first one kind of thing. It's like, if you're going to get back into that world, you might as well do the second, especially if we hear you know what I'm saying, and we're young enough to like still do it with a passion and this, that and the other and try to make a good movie. So you know, luckily we were able to like put it together and like get it Green Lid shot it in Rhode Island, like thanks to artists for artists, and like my business partner, you know, Johnny Ryan, who's from there, and like.
Speaker 1: That's your production company.
Speaker 11: Yeah, got a bunch of like you know whatever tax credits to make the budget make sense. And it was good for me because it was right up the street, you know what I mean, and my girls were in school till late June or something like that, so they were able to take the train up on the weekend, you know what I mean, as opposed to like having to shoot it in the middle of nowhere or something like that. So it all became, you know, a good positive thing. And then we actually made something that people enjoyed, you know what I'm saying. And then it broke records.
Speaker 2: You know, they u this Paramounts plus his most watched original film ever.
Speaker 11: Ever several weeks in number one, this, that, and the other. So like it was all very positive and it was positive for our company because it was like we making history too. Took the first Paramount movie, the Rhode Island kind of thing, you know what I mean, So it was just like all, you know, all around really good and then also setting up as the you know, the Kenan and Killed world continues to grow. Now you know what I'm saying, because we know we can go work on this project. You know, if he got a project, he can go do it. If I got a project, I can go do it. But if we come together and do something, we know it's going to be like pretty dynamic. So that that's a beautiful thing, you know, because we laid a lot of track work early as opposed to like having to figure it out middle age.
Speaker 1: The cartoon's happening, I don't know.
Speaker 11: I think there's an opportunity to do even the third one before we do the cartoon, you know what I'm saying. Just because the second one did so well, you can continue that world and keep on keep on getting it, you know, absolutely.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, we appreciate you brother and Thompson Man. Get this new book when I was your age, life lessons, funny stories and questionable parenting advice from a professional clown. And thank you for joining us.
Speaker 11: Kenon Thompsons Man, We keep everything legal.
Speaker 4: Keenan Thompson is the breakfast club. Good morning, good morning.
Speaker 5: Everybody is dj n V Charlamage the God.
Speaker 4: We are the breakfast club. Good morning.
Speaker 1: That's right man.
Speaker 2: Salute to the good brother Keenan Thompson for pulling up. That's right, longest running Cats member on sn NOL.
Speaker 1: That's right. He has a new book out right now, come on, man, you supposed tell me the name of it.
Speaker 5: I know it is when I was your age, Life lessons, funny stories and questionable parenting.
Speaker 4: Advice from a professional class.
Speaker 1: That's right. Good brother, Keenan Thompson is man one of the good guys. He don't bother nobody. He stay out the way, you know.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: You can go watch the full interview on a Breakfast Club YouTube page right now. How long is it like forty five minutes? Yeah, the hope of full interview is like forty five minutes. If you know Keenan, he don't like to talk.
Speaker 11: That's right.
Speaker 2: Get forty five minutes out of keen Okay, he ain't doing no sketches, all right, is a good thing. That's right, because so go check it out. Well, good morning everybody again, we are to Breakfast Club. Let's get to the rumors. Let's talk justin Timberlake.
Speaker 1: Or you've gossip been chatting? Is the rumor report?
Speaker 7: I mean, I guess we're on the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 4: This is where the tea spells right right now, justin Timberlake was trending, he was performing, and uh, he retracted his apology, and people believe that a retraction was from both Britney Spears and Britney Spears. Right, it was a Jena Jackson, it was Britney Spears. They were saying it was yeah, Britney Spears. Let's say what he said.
Speaker 11: I'd like to say this opportunity to apologize.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, people were mad at him saying that, well he apologized.
Speaker 4: They were saying, it was Janna Jackson and Britney Spears.
Speaker 1: What did the kids say? And by the kids, I mean gays. We don't care about that old tea.
Speaker 2: That tea is what from the two thousand, We don't care about that old he don't care about him. But apologizing to Brittany cause you apologize recently after right right before she.
Speaker 1: Is nobody cares.
Speaker 2: I mean, by the way, the only people that care in that situation is the person that he should be apologizing to.
Speaker 1: So send her a DM, sir, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Anything else to do, anything else you're doing in the public that just seems like a publicity stunt. All right, It's only got a record out. They need to put a record out of them. Yeah, It's like anytime I see people doing stuff like that around projects, it feels like they're just trying to promote that project. So if it's a real apology, you send it directly to that person. And you should have sent that in nineteen ninety nine or two thousand or whatever this all happened.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm just telling you because that's what they told me that people care about. I don't even know.
Speaker 2: Justin tip, like I knew, what did the kids say?
Speaker 5: We don't care about that old right now, Tiffany Hattish's too, mister me. The duy charges have been dropped after she appeared in the Los Angeles court yesterday, she accepted a plea deal of reckless driving.
Speaker 4: In California, she.
Speaker 5: Agreed to a simple vehicle cod violation and not driving under the influence.
Speaker 4: That charge was dismissed.
Speaker 2: That's good drunk driving his wack, you know, so, I'm sure Tiffany will learned from this now.
Speaker 5: Danny Lay was arrested for DUI hitting run in Miami. She was reportedly seen speeding and swerving. Police found an empty bottle of vodka. She's reportedly been sentenced to five years of probation. Her victim also filed a civil lawsuit against her, but the status of that suit is still pending.
Speaker 2: Damn drunk driving is I'm sure Danny Lay will learn from that too, and if not, somebody will yep.
Speaker 5: And lastly, people showed a lot of concern for NBA young boy. He posted a picture yesterday. He was laying on the floor. He had looks like a cup of suser or a styrofoam cup filled with ice, and he had a bunch of pills laying on the floor. People were very concerned and hoping that he wasn't, you know, using drugs or he had substance abuse problems, and was hoping if he did have a problem.
Speaker 4: He was going to rehab to fix that. Prim did you see the picture?
Speaker 2: I did see the picture, and I'm starting to realize how slow people are. Clearly somebody took that picture. Clearly he didn't. It wasn't a selfie, I mean, but clearly he allowed somebody to take the picture and had a caption and everything.
Speaker 1: What was the caption caption?
Speaker 4: Woo had.
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 2: He said, That's why I don't pick up the phone, win a ring. He's clearly promoting something, y'all. Come on, man, clearly it's a video. He's doing something he didn't just that's not like it's not like somebody a snuck and took a picture of him, or snuck and took a video of him in that position.
Speaker 1: That is clearly curated. Y'all, come on home, man, what are we doing?
Speaker 4: I'm just telling you what what what you want me to do it? Look, this is my last day, that's right, Jeff, with the matter. Monday is my last day with job.
Speaker 1: This is our last day. Is a duo.
Speaker 10: Yeh.
Speaker 2: We did a whole toy just as a duo. We did a whole toy just as a duo. Okay, So but the band is back together. Some Monday ain't good new member and I'm tired of doing this and that is okay that.
Speaker 1: But I'm just telling you that that picture that's clearly curious. I know what it was, but I'm just.
Speaker 2: Saying when people I saw people saying that yesterday, always showing concern, I'm thinking that you know, somebody caught him in a compromising notion or a snug video or something. He took that picture. I had somebody take it posted it with a nice caption. He's good promoting something. Come on stop, man, didn't we just get you all for the past three weeks? Didn't we just do it? You know what, I'm gonna keep doing it because y'all stupid.
Speaker 1: I'm tired of just the white man.
Speaker 4: They're not playing with me. Just better be here Monday. You're not playing with me. Just better Just you listen, you better be here on Monday. I ain't playing with y'all. Ain't doing them no more.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, you took the tag off?
Speaker 11: What of your pieces of gloves?
Speaker 1: What are you talking about?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 1: This is old sung with you.
Speaker 4: You don't take the tag off your clothes.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm asking boy.
Speaker 2: If you don't stop telling all my sneakers, okay, I don't keep nothing. If you see me with something nice on, you know it's going back, all right.
Speaker 1: That's why I tied.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: I told you about that. Your ass up.
Speaker 1: Get in trouble.
Speaker 4: Good on a time that is a rumor report. He even that donkey too.
Speaker 2: Man, Man, for after the hour, we need a man from Virginia named Buzzing Bear.
Speaker 1: I think that that's how you pronounced.
Speaker 4: It definitely sound right.
Speaker 1: This man man have dealt.
Speaker 2: With something that all of us deal with on a daily basis, while a lot of us deal with on a daily basis. But the way he reacted to it got him donkey today. We'll discuss all.
Speaker 4: Right, we'll get to that nextus to break What music are you playing?
Speaker 1: What music was that? I have no idea? What was that?
Speaker 11: What is that?
Speaker 1: What's going on? It's who oh?
Speaker 4: Jay Carter?
Speaker 1: Who is Jake Carter?
Speaker 4: A young artist?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 4: Donkey's next to the.
Speaker 12: Breakfast cloak about the breakfast club. Your mornings will never be the same.
Speaker 1: It's time for Donkey of the Day. Donkey said the day as Shua May.
Speaker 7: I'm a Democrat, so being Donkey of the day is a little bit of a mixed que So.
Speaker 4: Like a Donkey.
Speaker 1: Of the day, practice club, bitch you Now.
Speaker 21: I've been called a lot of my twenty three years.
Speaker 19: That Donkey of the day is a new.
Speaker 1: White Yes, Donkey of to Day.
Speaker 2: For Friday, February, second, second day of Black History Month, goes to a former Wait the music at Eddie can't okay?
Speaker 1: Now we're talking.
Speaker 2: Goes to a former target worker from Virginia named bazen Bear, I think that's his name, who has been sentenced to a whole century in prison, one hundred years.
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Why judges be playing with people like that, Like, what is the point? Just sentence me to forever? Okay, just sentence me to for all of eternity. Matter of fact, just let me ask the judge a question, Judge, am I ever getting out?
Speaker 1: And the judge can simply say no, period.
Speaker 2: Okay, anything sounds better than one hundred years. My brain can't even process that. But judge gives you one hundred years, you should automatically be granted permission to run and swan dive over the desk at that judge.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's when you're supposed to make those kinds of leaps.
Speaker 2: But once again, as I tell y'all every other day, life is about choices.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Destiny is not a matter of chance. It's a matter of a choice. And bozen Burr made a very poor choice. Now, today's donkey of the Day is a teachable moment because so many people have been faced with the challenge that Bizin was faced with. So many people every day who listened to the breakfast club have had to deal with what Bizin has had to deal with.
Speaker 1: Okay, but I bet you handled it better than he did.
Speaker 2: What are you talking about, uncle Chaoh well, let's go to A seven's ABC seven News, ABC seven News on your Side for the report.
Speaker 22: Please knew it for a judge's sentence seeing an Alexandria man to one hundred years in prison after he killed his coworker in a target parking lot in Bailey's Crossroads. Back in twenty twenty one, twenty five year old bos And Barry killed Hernan Levia. During the trial, prosecutors argue that Barry planned the murder after his coworker took his lunch from the office fridge. Days later, Barry attacked the victim and stabbed him several times after their work shift. Barry plead guilty to first degree murder in October.
Speaker 2: Lunch, bro, you killed someone because they stole your lunch out of the fridge at work, because they stole your food out of the refrigerator. I understand sometime life is about principle, Okay, I get it. He thought you were soft. You had to show him otherwise. But now what you killed someone over lunch? Only to go to prison and end up being someone snack. And you're gonna be somebody snack, okay, the same way the man you killed, Eh your lunch, trust and believe someone is gonna eat your ass the exact same way, and you're gonna return to favor because what else do you have to do over the next one hundred years? And he's only twenty five, little young tender, Okay, I'm telling you. People are sick out here, all right. Folks need psychiatric help. So many people that are walking amongst us need to be under somebody's care. They need to be medicated. I don't know what this man was dealing with. I don't know what he was going through or whatever it was. This situation puts them more over the edge.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: You don't just go zero to sixty over a sandwich, all right. This must have been a meal his grandmother or mother cook, and he bought the leftovers with him to work. This had to be some sort of comfort food like this food had to have some sentimental value, okay. He had to be something that this man was looking forward to. And you had the audacity to steal it, eat it and then just come back to work like it's all good called the man to snap. Okay, I can't believe I have to say this, but I don't care how discruntled you are. There is not a chicken salad anywhere on this planet that's good enough to take somebody's life and get a century in prison. I don't even know if he was eating chicken salad, but wouldn't it be ironic if he did all of this for a toss salad only to end up in prison tossing salads for the next one hundred years. Listen to me, though, Man, it's a lot of things that's interesting to me about this story, but one that stands out is he thought about this when you read the report, He thought about this. It's a premeditated murder. He didn't look in the fridge and see his lunch was stolen. He went home and said, well, he didn't just look in the fridge and see his lunch was stolen, and then you know, confront the man right there. He went home and said he spent the next few days plotting his revenge.
Speaker 1: Think about that.
Speaker 2: He went home for three days and plotted his revenge. And this is why I thinks like meditation is so important, breathing exercises, having someone to talk to you mean to tell me. Over the course of three days, he couldn't let go of the fact that his tuna.
Speaker 1: Sandwich got stolen.
Speaker 2: His homemade pizza peanut butter jelly sandwich got took and he couldn't shake that off. This man had severe anger issues that he never got the help for, and that is the moral of the story. Anger resembles fire, and like the fire, if you keep feeding it, it will get stronger and harm you. If you stop feeding anger with your attention, it will fade away.
Speaker 1: Three days, this man held this for three days. Not one of those days did he have lunch.
Speaker 2: One lunch after the lunch that got stolen him that lunch goes on.
Speaker 1: He was moving like he only had one lunch to live. And that's not how lunch works.
Speaker 2: Listen, we must be willing to let go of the lunch we planned so as to have the lunch that is waiting for.
Speaker 1: Us, not you basing, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: The lunch that is waiting for you right now is two mixed grain sandwiches, one roast beef relish and salad our tomato mayo and salad. One egg mayonnaise in salad, and one serving a fresh fruit. That's what's waiting for you for the next hundred years. Dinner gonna go crazy, though, One maybe two blue vein sausages. Okay, that beef whistle you gotta blow on because it may be too hot. Okay, you don't even want to see that custard launcher for dessert. Okay, please give Bazen Bear the biggest he hull.
Speaker 1: Crazy world are we living in, y'all? I gotta hear both sides. You mean you got to hit both sides? What's the other side?
Speaker 2: There's never a reason you need to kill a man over getting your lunch stolen at work, and then you're doing one hundred years.
Speaker 1: What's the other side.
Speaker 4: Let's take it out of the situation for a second.
Speaker 5: Right, we got sixty seconds, right, Let's just take it out of this this side for a second.
Speaker 4: Let's say what side let's side to make no sense. Let's take it away from this situation.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: Let's say my name is.
Speaker 1: Rashaan, Right, your name is Rashawan, you stupid idiot.
Speaker 5: I'm five foot four. Let's say I'm small of being paid, being picked on my whole life I go to work, I get a sandwich that my mama maybe my only sandwich because maybe I can't afford it.
Speaker 4: Right, So this is my sound.
Speaker 2: You're trying to justify this man, justify anything to.
Speaker 1: You know you need to do.
Speaker 2: Put a meat popsticle in your mouth right now and shut up. There's no way you're going justine. I'm not justifying, but I'm just saying he's been bullied.
Speaker 5: Right now. This guy takes sandwich. This guy, I'm not saying. This is the situation. This guy picks on Rashawn takes my rashawn sandwich. Now I come to work. I see this guy every day. He's laughing at me. I can't beat him physically, so I do something stupid.
Speaker 1: Nick.
Speaker 2: Put your one eyed yogat slinger in this guy's mouth and shut him up. Okay, the hell is he talking.
Speaker 1: About over there? Huh? Jesus christ Man, shut up.
Speaker 4: I want to play with nothing one eye all right, shut up, Jesus yo slinger. All right, you're disgusted.
Speaker 5: Disgust Why am I discussing all these terms? You got these terms in the back of your something, all right, well, thank you for that.
Speaker 1: Back of something. You want to put my tonsil tickle back.
Speaker 4: He just mess myself a bunch of these.
Speaker 1: He's just ready to fire off.
Speaker 11: This guy here.
Speaker 4: All right, when we come back back, say something. I know you got one way, I know you got one weight. When we come back, Doctor Joseph Poom will be joining us all right now. He is the founder and president of Soeign Medical.
Speaker 5: Now this month is Heart Awareness month, and we're gonna be talking him about things with what we should be doing to make sure our heart is running the right way, our heart is running safe and that we can live a lot longer.
Speaker 2: See that's what anxiety does, do you right, It plays tricks on you. So you know the end of last year, what's no nothing, the last year, the end of the year before that was the year before that, twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, doctor Puma does.
Speaker 4: Yes, and we're gonna talk to him when we come back.
Speaker 11: All right.
Speaker 4: This to Breakfast Level.
Speaker 1: Morning, the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 4: Morning.
Speaker 5: Everybody is DJ Envy Charlamagne the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guest.
Speaker 2: In the building, Doctor Joseph Pumer is hell Doctor Puma.
Speaker 9: Welcome, Thank you for inviting me.
Speaker 1: Now, you know, doctor Puma's been here before.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, but it's very important to know that February is American Heart Month, correct, yes, as well as Black History Month.
Speaker 1: Of course that's right. But that's why we have him here today to talk about all things heart health.
Speaker 5: Now, for people that don't know or didn't hear when you were here previously, tell people.
Speaker 1: What you do.
Speaker 20: I'm a cardiologist. I'm the founder of Soren Medical, which is the largest independent cardiology practice in New York City. My goals are to democratize healthcare objectively. We won an award four quarters in a row for the number one heart scan in America, the highest quality imaging.
Speaker 9: We're insurance based.
Speaker 20: We take care of everybody that comes through our doors, whether they're a billionaire or they're undomiciled. Our goal is to be part of the communities that we work in and to try and educate and help people live a long.
Speaker 1: Could you tell people what the sore and heart scan is at the boom.
Speaker 20: So when we image the heart, we're basically using a camera.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 20: The sore and heart scan uses the fastest camera available in the world. It's a cat scan. It's the only one of its kind in New York City dedicated to evaluating heart disease. In a three to four minute scan, we're able to see the arteries in the heart, see if there's any blockage, to see if there's any plaque build up of beginning of blockage calcification. We can see the heart chambers, the major arteries in the body, the AORDA, pulmonary arteries. In addition, we get a limited view of the lungs and other structures. But it's the most accurate scan. It takes three four minutes. It's eliminated the need for having stress testing, and more importantly, it's eliminated the need and this is all pure reviewed published data. Eliminated the need by almost half for having invasive heart catheterizations where you have to go on the hospital and we have to put catheters in. So a simple test. Charlotmagne, I think you're right. You've been a big promoter of mental health, and you know about half the people that come to cardiologists have symptoms that sound like it's from their heart, but it's often just from anxiety and stress, and so often that one simple scan, if it's completely normals like yours, dj Envy was perfectly normal could put your mind at ease and allow you to get on with your life without worry.
Speaker 5: Now, you did my scan a couple of months ago, and I was very nervous. I guess nervous about finding out right. I think that's what most people like it. Most people don't want to find out if something is wrong.
Speaker 1: Shoot, I do when it comes to the heart, because tell them about that. We don't make a duck. Yeah.
Speaker 20: So again, just from the standpoint of understanding heart disease better, a third of people who have heart attacks never even knew they had heart disease before they had them. A third of people who have heart attacks die the day they have their heart attack.
Speaker 9: So it's not pleasant. So some of this is silent.
Speaker 20: It grows as time goes on, right, especially if you have risk factors high blood pressure, diabetes, smoke, you're overweight, your sedentary, if you have high cholesterol, or a family history of heart disease. Okay, these are all the things that as time goes on, the body changes and you're building up plaque and blockage in the arteries. But once you have the test, even if you have a severe blockage, we can easily treat it. Nine out of ten times, if a blockage is severe, the flow is limited through the artery, and we have some objective approaches to figuring that out. Nine out of ten times we can treat it with a stent, which is an outpatient procedure. Unfortunately, one in ten times you might need open heart surgery.
Speaker 9: But it's proven you'll live longer, so just show up.
Speaker 20: It's simple things as a community, as physicians, we can do screenings, for instance, in the local churches, barber shops, you know, anywhere, really schools, and once you know, once you have that information DJ Envy, then it's just a matter of finding a doctor or a healthcare provider that you have faith in, that you trust, and working with them to control get on the right medicines and monitor and control your blood pressure or your cholesterol, your diabetes.
Speaker 2: What I find interesting is that young black people are living with diseas is more common at old the ages. They're living with these diseases that should be that are usually more common at old the ages.
Speaker 20: That's scary, that's exactly right in the black community compared to the white community. If the rate of high blood pressure in Blacks between thirty five and forty nine is fifty percent higher wow than whites.
Speaker 11: The rate of.
Speaker 20: Diabetes is forty percent higher. And if you have these chronic diseases earlier, they're more likely over time to cause complications, to have problems, to cause heart attack and stroke. And even at sixty five heart disease, Blacks are fifty percent more likely to die of heart disease than whites. So these are chronic problems that can cause devastating acute complications, and so finding it early and treating it and following with the doctor. From a physician standpoint, it's our job to make it easy. Our job to listen. It's our job to build a relationship. It's our job to make sure when you have a test, for instance, you get the results of the test, and when you explain to you you know clearly in language you can understand what the implications are and how best to treat it.
Speaker 18: All.
Speaker 5: We got more with doctor Puma. When we come back, don't move. It's the Breakfast Club. Good Morning Morning. Everybody is dj n V Charlamagne the Guide. We are the Breakfast Club. We have doctor Pumer here. Now it's Black History Month, but it's also American Heart Month. In February we're talking to him about healthy heart awareness. I was going to ask if you just you know, go over some of the stuff. So what are you looking for when you're actually doing the skin of the heart. Now, is it easy to detect plaque? And like you know, where somebody does have plaque or somebody does have a problem, you can actually fix the problem right then and there correct in most cases.
Speaker 20: In most cases in New York State, we still have to bring it to the hospital to do it. Although, as you reflect, we have an ambulatory surgical center in Lower Manhattan and we can fix lots of problems there, but we're not allowed to go into the heart yet, so we still have to do it in the hospital. But if we see a Widow macrollsion, we'll get you in the hospital same day or next morning. But the images we get we get two things. We get images of the arteries as if we did a catheterization, so we can see blockage.
Speaker 9: And then we do a what's called a heartflow.
Speaker 20: It's a company in California that has this amazing artificial intelligence software that can give us an objective assessment of flow in the artery, and we have some cut points that tell us if it's significant or not, any of the plaques and that they.
Speaker 2: As American heart muff. What should people be doing right now?
Speaker 20: Doctor pum So, get your blood pressure check, get blood tests, check your sugar levels.
Speaker 9: Okay, go see your doctor. If you don't want to do that, or you can't do that, let's start getting healthy. Get off the couch. You don't need to train for the marathon.
Speaker 20: How about we just get off the couch, or you know, on the way home from work before you go in, take a brisk.
Speaker 9: Walk around the block. You know, in a few weeks, try two walks, you know, two blocks. Just start getting active.
Speaker 20: But I think that you know, February is a great month because it's a great reset month. We think about it, we talk about it, and hopefully it encourages people to take charge of their health.
Speaker 4: I have one last question, signs of a heart attack. What are the typical signs of a heart attack?
Speaker 20: Yeah, that's that's actually a great question, and that's the reason why so many people with anxiety come in.
Speaker 9: So the typical signs of a heart attack.
Speaker 20: If you're watching George Clooney and er, let's say, you know, is you get tightness pressure like a crushing sensation in your chest. We call it chest pain, but most people say it's not really a pain. Okay, it's a crushing pressure in your chest. You get short of breath. You can get diaphraretic, which means cold, clammy, and sweaty. The symptoms often radiate to the left arm, associated with numbness.
Speaker 9: We're not really sure why that occurs.
Speaker 20: The problem is in women and in diabetic they get atypical symptoms. But I just describe are the typical symptoms. So I'd expect a man like yourself to have those symptoms. But women in diabetics can get atypical symptoms. They can feel fatigued, they can feel a little short of breath, they might feel indigestion like symptoms. People who have sharp chest pain chest pain that increases when they take a deep breath. Chest pain that occurs, you know, when they do a particular motion, go to pick up a box or reach for something.
Speaker 9: That's almost always not from your heart. That's almost always musculoskeleton. But let's go back to anxiety.
Speaker 20: When you're anxious, your heart rate goes up, you hyperventilate, you can get tightness in your chest.
Speaker 9: It becomes hard to breathe, and you can get.
Speaker 20: Numbness in your arm, so it could be exactly the same. The point is you're not alone out there. There's people to help you.
Speaker 18: Go.
Speaker 20: Seek attention, take charge your health, get the answer you need so you can rid yourself of some of this anxiety.
Speaker 9: That doesn't mean the anxiety will go away.
Speaker 20: You might still have anxiety and panic attack, but at least now you'll have the information to know I'm not having a heart attack.
Speaker 1: That's right, and that takes that That alone takes away some of the anxiety and discription. Give me your information, doctor Pum.
Speaker 20: Tell me to find you soign medical andy dot com. You can find us there, and we accept everyone and anyone, regardless of your insurance status or ability to pay.
Speaker 9: We're here for the communities that we served. Thank you all for having me here. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, thank you, doctor Puma. We appreciate you for joining us.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much.
Speaker 11: It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Good morning, the Breakfast Club. Good morning.
Speaker 5: Everybody is DJ n V Charlamagne de God. We are the Breakfast Club. It's time for past the oaks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, DJ.
Speaker 21: Big Nyla, Hi, guys, happy Friday.
Speaker 2: You're doing a lot of sniffling over there for somebody who ain't had no COVID tests.
Speaker 21: I haven't sniffled, not one sniffling.
Speaker 1: The whole time. You sound stuffy. Are you taking care of yourself in Atlanta?
Speaker 21: No, I'm pretty exhausted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you've been well, you've been. I saw you in Philly last night.
Speaker 14: I was in Philly last night with the girls from Reason to Be Shady, just just zelling Robin.
Speaker 21: I really like them.
Speaker 2: Reason Shady can listen to reasonably shady podcasts on the Black Fag Guy, her radio podcast network.
Speaker 14: They popping, Yeah, and their live show is very, very entertaining. Yeah, yep, of course City.
Speaker 21: Winery and then I had my live event in l A. Pretty much sold.
Speaker 2: Out your Certified Vibe, which is basically Past the Dogs Live. Yes, Yes, I saw a lot of people there. I saw Rahap City there.
Speaker 1: Who else is there?
Speaker 14: Raps City pulled up Dustin Conrad pulled the Sabrina Claudia.
Speaker 21: Like these are just you know, casual artists.
Speaker 14: But even like I started handing the mic around for people can sing, like during an intermission. There's a lot of dope singers that can actually sing that I'm now tapping in with sop La was great.
Speaker 1: You know that a club you had it? That was the Peppermink Club.
Speaker 2: I think that's where Nipsey had his Victory Lap album release party. When I when I when I when they saw you out there, somebody said that to me. So that place means a lot, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 14: I love that, yes man. Yeah, nah, I'm exhausted though. This was It was a good week, but it was a lot.
Speaker 4: You're going back to landa next week.
Speaker 11: How are you doing?
Speaker 21: No, No, I'm still there.
Speaker 2: It was his Grammy celebration, that's what at the Pepperminker. All these pictures with him and jay Z and all of that, that's what that was.
Speaker 21: Yes, yes, yeah, they have a great aesthetic.
Speaker 14: But we're gonna be back in Brooklyn on February sixteenth, R and B night for Valentine's Day to make you guys tap in.
Speaker 21: All right, let's get into some new music today.
Speaker 14: I want to start with since it's that Mexican Oti's birthday and I'm a big fan of him.
Speaker 21: He finally did a record with the Baby. You know, people think that they kind of wrap.
Speaker 1: But like why do you call him that Mexican Mexican?
Speaker 18: Oh?
Speaker 1: I thought she was like, this is that Mexican OT's birthday?
Speaker 21: No, that's his name.
Speaker 1: How do you feel about the border crisis?
Speaker 6: Not?
Speaker 1: Hey, Mexican Ot is so hard dropping the clues bomb for Mexican Ot. I'm just playing. I know who that's t let and Ot is dope. He gets like really dope, really dope.
Speaker 21: Great flow. Next, speaking of great flows, j T ha just dropped a single.
Speaker 14: I know they were talking about how they were having problems releasing music, so I'm just glad to see she's back outside.
Speaker 21: Her new song is called Sideways.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now I love when you coming here with some rappers.
Speaker 2: Now she got the video for it too, JT. J T can snap all right, j T gets busy and j T don't want to do nothing but rap. By the way, I don't think y'all realized that j T ain't with none of the other stuff. JT wants to rap. She won't be in that studio rapping, so salute to j T.
Speaker 14: Yeah, she's always had a strong pin always, but last but not at least, I'm gonna go with my brother Ruben Vincent.
Speaker 21: Now this record is actually unreleased, but he's year enough to drop a.
Speaker 1: Yet you bought three for three gets busy?
Speaker 14: Wait wait, wait, Before we get into it, I just want to say it's like an Afro hip hop blend, which I think is unique and very true to him, because you know, he's like berying.
Speaker 2: Ilus for Ruben Vincent. Man Charlotte, Charlotte Carolina. Yeah, Charlotte Noe. Carolina's on the seven o four NYLA Picks and Rappers today.
Speaker 11: I like that.
Speaker 1: Nylan Mexicano, t J T, Ruben Vincent.
Speaker 21: Okay, okay, Yeah, it's a good week. It's a good week.
Speaker 4: You guys like it.
Speaker 14: Make sure you guys hap into the playlist, all right, it's certified Vibe Live Playlist.
Speaker 21: Makes you guys tune in. You can follow me on Instagram at n Y l A S Y M O N E E E. Stay updated with everything. We just talked about.
Speaker 1: What you got in Atlanta?
Speaker 21: Two more?
Speaker 1: Damn hurry all right, come on, hurry up, you over down there getting sick.
Speaker 21: I don't think this was from Atlanta. I really think this is from La Damn.
Speaker 5: Well, we appreciate you, Na, and again let me shout out to before we get to the mix, I want to shout out to Kwame Watchie. I know I said his name wrong. While he owns the restaurant in New York City, his last name is oh n w u A c h I h. He has a restaurant called Tatiana. It's they infuse African and West Indian food really really dope. It's at Lincoln Center and I had a great time last night. I took my wife there for her birthday. I just it was just really dope.
Speaker 4: If you love African food or West Indian food, the way they infuse.
Speaker 5: It, whether it's oh, Lincoln is a huts of yards, right, No, Lincoln cent is like Ony seventieth.
Speaker 14: I heard prist riser is a one dollar sign, two dollars signs, or three dollars sign.
Speaker 4: I played with Miamis. I don't know what dollar sign it was.
Speaker 1: Oh god, yeah, but it was.
Speaker 4: It was a great time. I had a lovely time last night.
Speaker 5: I want to salute to them and his staff and the fact that he's a brother and owns his own restaurant in New York City, which is really really dope. I just wanted to salute to him and his staff We had a great time last night for her birthday.
Speaker 4: All right, now let's get to the mix. We throw it back eight hundred and five eighty five, one oh five one.
Speaker 1: It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 4: Good morning morning. Everybody's DJ NV Charlamagne the Guy. We are the Breakfast Club. It's Black History Month for we do with Charlamagne Man SLEWT to my guy Beat.
Speaker 2: You know, be Dot host the podcast on the Black Fact iHeart Radio podcast network.
Speaker 1: In the podcast is called I didn't know. Maybe you didn't either.
Speaker 2: It's only as a specialty podcast that we only do during Black History Month. So every day during Black History Month, b Dot gives you some Black history that you may not have known. And today he's going to tell you about one of the first HBCUs that was originally a prison, Virginia Union University.
Speaker 1: Let's discuss be out here.
Speaker 15: And being a product of Winston Salem State University. I thought I was very familiar with Virginia Union University. I mean, we play the Panthers in football, basketball, all the sports. Highly competitive. I mean you can almost say there are are rivals. But what I didn't know was that Virginia Union went from incarcerating black folks to educating black folks sorta. To understand how Virginia Union was founded, you got to know who Robert Lumpkin and Mary are. See in the eighteen thirties, Robert Lumpkin he purchased Mary when she was a child. By the time she was thirteen, she had given birth to Rob's first child, and then she messed around and gave him Foma. Robert Lumpkin was twenty seven years older than Mary. That mean when she was thirteen having his first child, oh, Rob were forty. In eighteen forty four, Rob bought a jail called Lumpkin's Jail. They said it was one of the seven most cruel prisons in the South. They gave it a nickname, the Devil's half Acre. In eighteen sixty six, Rob died. See by then Mary and her kids were living in Philadelphia. They relocated there during the Civil War. But in his will, Rob left to jail to Mary. But she ain't wanting to do with that prison. So along came an abolitionist minister. His name was Nathaniel Cover, and he was looking for a space to start a seminary for formerly enslaved individuals.
Speaker 1: And Mary very gladly leased him to land.
Speaker 15: See, the northern teachers of that time, they found it necessary not just to educate the former enslaved individuals, but the white folks in the South that hadn't been educated to the same degree as the white folks in the North as well.
Speaker 1: Now this is all post Civil War.
Speaker 15: So once Clove gets a hold of the Devil's half Acre, his workers going there and tear up all the sales. They take the bars off, and they turn the sales into classrooms. There they started teaching black kids and birthed Richmond Theological Schools of Freedmen. It even got a new nickname, from the Devil's half Acre to God's half Acre. The Richmond Theological School of Freedman became the first institution of higher education for black folks in Virginia. In nineteen thirty two, they merged with the first College of African American Women in Virginia and became one of the first established HBCUs Virginia Union University.
Speaker 1: And I didn't know, maybe you didn't either.
Speaker 5: No, All right, that's dope, you know, just fun fact. You know, Virginia Union was the only HBCU. They gave me a full ride a scholarship for full Rock.
Speaker 21: So why you ain't going there.
Speaker 5: Because Hampton looked so much better. I'm want to go to Hampton University. My parents were upset out of too, because Virginia Union was gonna give me everything.
Speaker 4: But we had to pay for Hampton.
Speaker 21: Yeah, I think you should have your life turned out.
Speaker 4: I'm fine.
Speaker 1: I think I think I did that.
Speaker 5: Shout out to all HBCUs. You'll tell them where they can hit the rest of the sholdmen.
Speaker 2: Yes, you can listen to the you can listen to I didn't know. Maybe you didn't either. On The Black Effect, iHeart radio podcast network be Dot puts out episodes over the weekend, so there will be new episodes tomorrow and Sunday.
Speaker 5: Like I said, every day during Black History Month. All right, all right, when we come back, positive notice to Breakfast Club. Good morning morning everybody you see j Envy, Charlamagne de God, we all the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 4: Noledge is still hear you.
Speaker 1: I am Drake Man, Black and Holly famous.
Speaker 4: Because it's the last day of the duo.
Speaker 1: I am not sad, I am expreme.
Speaker 4: They're talking about it all days.
Speaker 1: That's right, they're talking about it. I can't wait for Just Hilarious to get here on Monday.
Speaker 21: I don't think they is going to change it all.
Speaker 1: The Last Day Duo, the.
Speaker 2: Good Sister Just Hilarious will be starting on Monday, so you'll be getting your just with the mess that you're getting your ass just next week, Just Hilarious fixfacially.
Speaker 1: Joined the Breakfast Club. What I said, I don't know what you said, but it just fixed my messag. Yes, just fix my mess.
Speaker 2: And also make sure you check out the Carefully Reckless podcast on the Black fact iHeartRadio podcast network.
Speaker 1: That is Just Hilarius's podcast.
Speaker 2: If you want just to fix your mess and you can't get through to the Breakfast Club, you can send in your emails or call into the podcast. That's right, Yes, but I don't know the numbers, so Jesus you gotta as it.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: The positive note is simply this man, as you get older, you will understand more and more that it's not about what you look like or what you own. It's all about the person you become. Y'all have a great weekend Breakfast Club.
Speaker 11: You don't finish for y'all done