Speaker 1: Hi, get everybody on Dan Hord and thanks for downloading the Bengals Booth podcast the I Shake It Off, I Shake It Off Audition. As the Bengals drop their preseason opener to the Green Bay Packers, thirty six to nineteen coming up, you'll hear radio replays, locker room comments from players and coaches, and Dave Lappam will join me for postgame analysis. Then, in this week's fun Facts Conversation, quarterback read Senate tells us what Tom Brady likes to eat other than avocado ice cream. The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by Bengals Picks and Ultimate Bengals. They're free to play with tickets and sign merchandise up for grabs. Find both inside the Bengals app. Now here's a quick reminder that you can have the latest edition of this podcast delivered right to your phone, tablet, or computer by subscribing wherever you get your podcasts. It's the greatest thing since Joe Burrows pregame workout. The highlight of Friday's preseason opener actually happened two and a half hours before kickoff, when the Bengals quarterback took the field with no compression sleeve on his right calf and worked out for roughly thirty minutes. Joe threw passes to members of the coaching staff and even did some light running. It's certainly a cause for optimism that Joe will be ready for the season opener in Cleveland. We'll have more on his pregame workout when I talked to Dave Lapham later in the podcast. All right, time to review the preseason opener against the Packers. By now, you know that Zach Taylor is not going to play his starters very much, if at all, in the preseason. The one exception on Friday night was Dax Hill, who needs snaps as he moves into a starting role at safety. The Packers, on the other hand, had their starting offense on the field for two drives for an obvious reason after having two starting quarterbacks over the last thirty one years in Brett Favan Aaron Rodgers. This is the summer of Love in Green Bay, and Jordan Love, who has barely played in three NFL seasons, put the Packers on the scoreboard. First second and goal from the nine. Love hands it no fakes to Dylan sets up in the pocket, cloats it into the end zone and Dubbs comes down with a touchdown catch for the green Bay Packers. He boxed out Sidney Jones the fourth and Romeo Dubbs, who's six ' two two to oh four, pulled down the TD throw.
Speaker 2: Six two two oh four and you have a matchup against Jones at six feet point eighty one.
Speaker 1: Love was replaced by rookie Seawan Clifford, a graduate of Saint Xavier High School in Cincinnati, and a pass interference call at the goal line on Bengals cornerback Allen George helped Green Bay take a fourteen to three lead early in the second quarter, but it didn't last after a fifty one yard field goal by Evan McPherson made it fourteen to six. Moneymack made all four of his field goal attempts. By the way, the Bengals scored their first touchdown of the preseason. Clifford ready catches the shotgun snap against a four.
Speaker 3: Man rushing on the run. See it's going to a pet sex as Tyson Anderson picks it off hand sprints to the end zone for the Bengals touchdown.
Speaker 2: Oh Man Walker of the offensive lineman just went up to console Clifford, who is obviously very disappointed in the outcome of that play. I mean, Tyson Anderson, it can't be any easier than that. That ball was just gift wrap to him. Clifford gets rid of the ball, He's under pressure and jumping the route as Tyson Anderson and boy, I'll tell you the pressure that came was up the middle. Dominique Davis came with an inside rush, beat the guard and tattooed Clifford up in his chest right as he was releasing the football. Took some juice off that Tyson Anderson undercut it and said see you later.
Speaker 1: Later in the half, Tyson Anderson had another interception as he ripped the ball away from six five, two hundred and fifty nine pound tight end Tucker Kraft. It was quite a night for the speedy safety out of the University of Toledo, who missed his rookie year with a hamstring injury. Dave Lapham talked to him after the game.
Speaker 2: Two interceptions in the first half, one of them picked six. Take us through what you saw.
Speaker 4: Out there, Coach lou caught a great call and we disguised the real well and the quarterback just never seen me and helped one of our teammates. I was just helping him recover and just made a great player finished through.
Speaker 2: You jumped that route pretty darn strong, and Dominic Davis had a pretty good rush. I'm not sure if you saw the replay on it or not, but he pretty good hit right in the quarterback's chest and you jumped that thing, and it was when you intercepted it all your I was green, I guess, huh yeah.
Speaker 4: All I said was the end zone. Really, the quarterback wasn't really chasing me, so I just kind of ran to the left as far as I could knew nobody was catching me once I got the ball.
Speaker 2: What about the second interception? What'd you see there?
Speaker 4: We just again, Coach Lou keep calling great calls. We were in a cover cover three zone. He ran a little stick route right on the sticks and seeing the quarterback throw, broke on it and it was just a competition for the ball and I came down with it.
Speaker 2: So in the secondary, you guys have so much speed you can run I mean, safety's corners. Everybody runs like sub four four it seems like, I mean, and also teams speed and smarts. It seems like you can run and everybody's intelligent. Back there. That's a pretty pretty good one. Two punched. You guys are gonna have a good year back there.
Speaker 4: No, Yeah, for sure. We just got to continue to just stack days and sky's the limit for this group. Just continue to communicate and just do our our five things that we pride ourselves on doing. Just being playmakers, finishing the ball, having a lot of effort flying around, communicating a plant smart.
Speaker 2: Lou Anroumo, what's it like playing for a guy? Uh? That good? As a defensive coordinator? I mean, you feel the trust between you guys, trust him, he trusts you. It's gotta be a pretty good feeling.
Speaker 4: No, Yah's for sure, trust level on both sides, both sides. He trusts us to do what we gotta do, and we trust him to put us in great positions, and he always does and we reap the benefits of him putting us in great positions.
Speaker 2: Two interceptions in a half. Ever done that before at any level?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: No, first time?
Speaker 2: First time you got you can? You got both the footballs.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I gave him to the equipment guy, So I'm sorry they goll be giving them to me here soon.
Speaker 2: So you keep them one one going to somebody else in your family. You keeping them both.
Speaker 4: Uh, now I'm gonna keep one one go go to my parents back home.
Speaker 2: There you go. That's a good son right there. Appreciate you, Tys, I appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Anderson's second I int came with one oh four left in the half and the Bengals leading sixteen fourteen. They were in field goal range, but Jake Browning threw a pass that was two for Shdick Jackson, and he tipped it into the hands of Green Bay rookie Carrington Valentine out of Cincinnati s. Moeller High School. Twenty five seconds later, the Packers took the lead for good. Twenty five seconds left in the half. Clifford and the gun back at the tent quick pass over the middle touchdown. Green Bay Tyler Davis, one of five tight ends on the roster, makes the catch for the Packers touchdown. The Packers' offense wound up scoring five touchdowns, including an eighty yard run in the fourth quarter by undrafted rookie Emmanuel Wilson. The Bengals offense didn't score any tds, but there were some bright spots, including a four catch debut for six round draft pick Andre Yosi Vash. Here comes a blitz, Simeon gets rid of.
Speaker 3: It, pits Yosi Vosh get on a crossing route, breaks the tackle running toward the Green Bay sideline and out of bounds at Packers territory at the forty eight yard line.
Speaker 1: Fifty party flagged down the offense to backfield.
Speaker 2: It's going to be rough from the quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yosi Vosh just missed the touchdown as he hauled in a twenty five yard pass in the end zone and got his right foot down, but the tip of his left foot landed on the sideline. I spoke to him after the game, Andre four catches fifty yards in your NFL preseason debut, and if your feet were a little bit smaller, you might have had a touchdown catch.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I just got to hold the space there on that one. But you know, everything is a work in progress, so I'm just happy I got to be out there. I'm just making place.
Speaker 1: What stood out to you about your first taste of real NFL action.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's really fast. You know, practice was fast, but the game is a lot faster and I mean, I just got to you had to all slow down and just let the game come to me instead.
Speaker 6: Of trying to rush these enforcements.
Speaker 5: So with all coming with time. So I think this is a really good experience.
Speaker 1: For mere Chatting with Andrea Yosi Vosh, you were targeted ten times? Did you find that out a good surprising that they can do that much?
Speaker 5: Not really, you know, I mean, if it's a one on one matchup, I feel like those guys trust me to make plays and things like that, So it wasn't really surprise, and I was glad that they think were the ball that anytime it shows shows a good traits.
Speaker 1: Let's go back to the near touchdown catch. Have you seen a replay? How would you describe your attempt to get both feet down inbounds.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it was pretty tight, I think, Yeah, I mean I think my second foot landed, Priory could be right on the line by as close as the line as you can. But you know, I'll make that play next time it comes around.
Speaker 1: This is a big moment for any rookie. I think twenty Bengals rookies saw their first taste of NFL action. Was it but thrill even though it's a preseason game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, you just want to go out there and execute. It was definitely exciting that the stadium was really packed. The fans were allowed, so there's a fun environment to be in and you know, get to get the work and.
Speaker 1: You get to do it another week in Atlanta.
Speaker 5: Yup, can't wait. I'm super excited, so onto.
Speaker 1: The next you rats on a good first performance.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Another Bengals rookie right back Chase Brown, got the ball eleven times and showed off his speed. Simy In catches the shotgun snap against the four man rush, bouncing in the pocket, dumps it off check down to Chase Brown.
Speaker 3: Look at him go as he hits the accelerator, runs inside the twenty, and the rookie out of Illinois gets tackled at the eighteen twenty one yards on the checkdown to Chase Brown and.
Speaker 1: The Bengals enter the paramount plus red zone. Brown finished with twelve yards rushing in thirty three yards receiving. It feels like your heart is still racing from the excitement of being out there.
Speaker 6: Is that the case, Yeah.
Speaker 2: A little bit.
Speaker 6: I mean it's my first NFL game and I just i just think back on it right now, like, man, my god, I could have been better. So that's just my mindset phoner this week, and you know that's gonna be mine. My theme is just no being better this week. And you know, rolling into Atlanta, you.
Speaker 7: Know, okay, this more.
Speaker 6: Prepared more Not that I wasn't prepared this night, but you know, there's just it's like your first game. Now you get the shakes a little bit, and you know, now I got that first game under my belt, so just you know, building confidence or not and going in the next week better.
Speaker 1: People don't remember scores from preseason games, stabs from preseason games, but when it's your first, it's something you'll never forget, right, no.
Speaker 2: No, no, no no no.
Speaker 6: But I mean these these are important for everybody that had the opportunity to play tonight, and you know, just being able to to to be better to go into next week into these practices is what's most important.
Speaker 1: It sounds like you wish the Atlanta.
Speaker 3: Game is tomorrow night.
Speaker 6: Man if it was, I'd be excited, But I mean it just we just have some time to flush the film, you know, learn from our mistakes and just you know, be better as a as a group to come.
Speaker 1: Up with the Winns have the twenty one yard gain on the screen feel or check down feel, Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean that's gonna just do my job. It's pretty wide open, just gonna make one person miss. I'm just barely just doing my job.
Speaker 1: Man, he made a miss badly. That seemed like he didn't quite realize how much speed number thirty had for six.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I'm coming with I'm coming with power. I'm coming with speed, and it's just you know, I knew I had to play to make there. So it's just like I said the day, I'm just doing my job.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: The Bengals Booth podcast is brought to you by Kettering Health, the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. With more than one hundred twenty care facilities and fifteen hundred care providers, Kettering Health is committed to guiding you to your best health. Visit ketteringhealth dot org to learn more. Again. The final score was thirty six to nineteen green Bay. The Bengals falled to three and eight in preseason games under Zach Taylor, who prioritizes keeping his starters healthy over getting them snaps and games that don't count. He spent a couple of minutes with Lap after the game.
Speaker 2: In every single football game, there's gonna be guys that put forth good performances. I mean, Tyson Anderson two interceptions and a half, pretty good, pretty good performance right there. One of the guys jump out at you. I know you haven't had time to you anything, take a look at anything. Dominique Davis to me, I mean he had a good pass rush on Tyson's interception. He comes up with a funbell recovery after a hit on another sacks, I mean sack you had. You had some guys that stepped up and made some places.
Speaker 8: Yeah, some guys flash like that. You know you'll you'll have a chance to consume the whole tape to see how the whole performance looked. But I did think Dominic Davis showed up and made some key plays for us. Tyson obviously, those are two really good interceptions. One of them is in contested play he took away. The other one he jumps to play and scores. So h those should be big momentum changers for us, and we didn't do enough to capitalize on him.
Speaker 2: What's it like when a coach like yourself and sh Walters. You see that all right? You want yo see Vosh, who's a real good talent to get his hands extended, to use that big body a little bit more instead of letting the ball come to his body. And he's done a really good job of that and it translated in the game. He came close on a couple of real big plays and contested catches, but he had the extension. I thought he played really well and he gave a lot of effort.
Speaker 8: I saw some good things from him, you know. The quarterbacks found a way to target him, and he made some big plays, good catch up to the run, almost had a good touchdown. You don't want to contest down there on the go round the end zone. So those were good things to see from under.
Speaker 2: So red zone. Obviously, they scored in the red zone with regularity. The red zone only got there I think once and settled for a field goal. That had to be disappointing a little bit.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we had penalties that knocks us back. I didn't think overall we were disappoint enough as a team. You know, really you look at the first punt return we had. We had a great return to the twenty five yard line, we get a clip, so then we lose the field position. We then punt to him, we give them a we getting off side and give him a free first down. They score a touchdown a couple of plays later. So I just didn't think we were disciplined enough overall.
Speaker 2: So what what did you take out of this football game? I mean, did you see guys when they had a bad play or some thing that went wrong. Were they able to compartmentalize and move on? And that's what you have to do in the NFL. There's going to be some ups and downs in the NFL. That's just life in the National Football League, and young guys have to learn, you know, forget about that and let's go get something done.
Speaker 8: I think the simplest thing is just the discipline. You know, if we can eliminate the turnovers that put us in really bad positions, and again, just simple things. Just be where you're supposed to be. You know, I'm really in all three phases, and those are things that we can easily correct going to the next game. We're gonna really emphasize them next week and be much better against seth Ana.
Speaker 2: Did you see a lot of times with young guys, it's trying too hard. I mean, you know, it's like I want to try to go make a play. I'm going to leave the crop that I'm supposed to harvest and go try to get a little piece of this crop over here. Did you see any of that?
Speaker 8: We'll have to say, you know, that'll be better for me to answer. I have to watch the tape up next.
Speaker 1: A road game in Atlanta next Friday night. The Falcons opened the preseason with a nineteen to three win over Miami. Starting quarterback Desmond Ritter did not play for Atlanta. Former Bengals draft pick Logan Woodside went the distance at QB. The Bengals Booth podcast is brought to you by pay Corps. More than twenty nine thousand customers trust Paycorp to help them recruit, pay, engage, and retain employees. Learn more at paycoorp dot com. Now time for the radio guys recap lat People generally don't remember the score of preseason games or the stats of preseason games. For the guys who played in their first NFL game tonight, it's a memory that they'll have forever.
Speaker 2: No question. And you know some young players not their first game, but Tyson Anderson, for example, with two fumble recoveries to your picks, excuse me, two interceptions in a half of a football game. I asked him if it never happened to him at any level. He was new. He made his soling, not even any game, but definitely note and a half, and he's keeping one of the footballs and he's given the other one to his parents, so he's a happy young man. Dominique Davis involved a couple of the turnovers as well. I mean, those are things that those guys will remember because you know, they haven't had much playing time in the National Football League at this stage. Josie Vash worked his tailoff. I mean, I don't know, I'd have to check the GPS, but special teams and running rouse. This dude ran all night long. He may have to have a recovery day.
Speaker 1: He needs a smaller foot. If he had a slightly smaller foot or smaller shoe, he would have had a touchdown catch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was pretty good play. I mean the way he twisted his body and just barely you know, missed out on that touchdown. I would have been good for him to get that, to get rewarded for that but I think the thing that you got to like about a guy like him is he takes coaching so well. I mean, he was having some issues at getting extension using the big body that he has his advantage, and getting his arms extended catching the football. He was letting the ball come to his body more. And the coach has said, look, you know only has six foot three with some range and length used it, and he's used it. You don't have to tell intelligent guy like him something more than once. And he's coachable, and he's extremely athletic. There's no question about that.
Speaker 1: DJ Turner has received a lot of attention this training camp. I thought he played well. Four tackles, including two tackles for loss. You mentioned Yosi Vash He had four catches. Chase Brown handled the ball eleven times. He had a twenty one yard catch on a check down. This rookie rookie class showed pretty well in their first taste of NFL preseason action.
Speaker 2: They did they showed they belonged, you know, no question about that. The game boiled down to third down. Green Bay was better. Red zone. Green Bay was dramatically better. Four touchdowns in the red zone. The Bengals getting the red zone once and you know, settle for a field goals, so you can't lose the red zone battle that significantly and expect to win a football game. And really the touchdown was on a on a defensive score, so it's you know, gonna there's miles to go before they rust. There's a lot of work that needs to be done. But it's never as bad as you think it is, and it's never as good as you think it is, particularly preseason game number one. I mean, you look and look at the tape, and if you didn't look at it in sequence, you know I'd be this. This was a competitive environment, but too many penalties, lack of red zone execution, third down inefficiency, all that all that added up to to losing a football game.
Speaker 1: Neither quarterback played particularly well. I thought Browning was better than Simon, but the protection was better for Browning, So it's really hard to knock Simeon when he was dealing with free runners and pressure that was not quite as bad for Jake Browning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, and all that has to be taken into account. Simeon when he wasn't spinning away from he was getting rid of the football just before you know contact was coming and you know that's the Green Bay Packers. They ended up figuring things out free Runner. I don't know it was because they were a man short and protection because they had such a limited game plan going into the game. There really wasn't a game plan. It was keep it simple so players could be confident and play real fast. Well in some cases that may have let them down not having enough blockers or maybe you know, there was a call that wasn't made properly at the line of scrimmage to pick up that free runner. So all that has to be sorted out and worked through, and it's going to get going to get dramatically better, there's no doubt.
Speaker 1: So the real story of this game was what happened before the game. Yea much earlier before the game, as Joe Burrow came out onto the field for a pretty rigorous pregame workout. He threw pass to members of the coaching staff. He ran, although I wouldn't describe it as sprinting, but it wasn't a jog. He was running pretty aggressively. I saw him exit the stadium with Sam Hubbard. Seemed to be in good spirits. So if you could have one thing happened today, of anything, it wouldn't be a dominant win over the Green Bay Packers. It would be a sign that Joe Burrow is going to be AOKA in time for the season opener against the Cleveland Browns. And this was a positive step forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the fact that he didn't have anything on that calf. You know, there was no sleeve, there was no compression sock, there was none of that kind of thing. So you could see that bruising was reabsorbed. I mean it had pretty much gone away, and that's what's allowed him to do the things that he was doing out there. I think the Wednesday practice that he attended it was probably an impetus. I think it was like, oh man, I get to get out and start doing something. This has driving me crazy.
Speaker 1: As long as the doctors and trainers said it's okay.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and they were all out there, the trainers were, you know, making sure that he didn't do too much. But it would not surprise me if next week he throws, and he throws more than one day. I'm not saying necessarily Monday or Sunday.
Speaker 1: Now when you say throws with linemen and receivers or just off to the side, throwing the receivers.
Speaker 2: Off to the side. I don't think he's gonna do anything, you know, in terms of out on the football field helmet and shoulder pads kind of thing. But I think now that he has started to throw, I think he's going to ramp it up. You know, he's going to continue to throw. And it wouldn't surprise me that he goes into some sort of a routine where every single day if there's no setbacks, you know, like, what if there's a setback tomorrow morning he wakes up, It's like, man, maybe I did a little too much. If he ever feels that he has to shut it down, back off and shut it down because you do not want to re exacerbate injury it because it's always worse that second time goes. It goes to a point where it was worse than when you first heard it. That seems to be the way those calf issues are. I mean, they can be lingering, so but he continues to wrap it up. I mean love to see him. He's not going to play in any preseason games. I don't think he was gonna anyway. That's not going to happen. But what if he was able to practice before the last preseason game for a day or two, and then when they come back, they don't have a game, they have a week off, but that any work that they do, the workdays that they do, he's out there doing as much as he possibly can on those work days, and then the following week goes to a regular week of practice and gets ready for the Cleveland Browns. I could see that as a possibility.
Speaker 1: I think that's the best case scenario. This happened two weeks ago, fifteen days ago. If he's out for two more weeks, which would be four weeks since the injury, that would still give him two weeks before the season open or the season opener's thirty days away.
Speaker 2: And watching him throw today, I mean, he's he's able to He's able to put some torque on the football, you know, so in the and the thing is he has kept up with all the mental rep stuff, and like we talked about before, he did get a ton of reps in in July, you know, and and uh so losing just a little bit of time that he lost. It's not ideal, but it's not you know, something that's going to like cost him. You know he's not going to be the same guy going out there and playing quarterback. I can see though a school of thought too, where you know, it's like, okay, depending on how all of this goes. I mean, if there's if he keeps progressing, doing more and not having any setbacks playing, we're talking about fine. If there's any minor thing, shut it down, miss week one. You know, don't, don't push it. But the way he look today is extremely encouraging, and you think that Jayz, you know, maybe you can you can add to that workload. He's young, he's in great shape, He's a quick healer. He's shown that before. Hopefully, hopefully now he's on a track where he'll be able to go against the Cleveland Browns because we need all hands on deck, particularly that hand, need that most important major hand on deck up there in Cleveland.
Speaker 1: Like we said, he wasn't sprinting before the game tonight, but he was running. I would describe it as running that shocks me. I did not expect that to happen fifteen days after that injury.
Speaker 2: I agree. Now the final thing is the explosion. You know you're in the pocket and you have to push off that foot, you know, on that foot attached to that calf and really push off and it is his right calf. So when he has to say he has to get out of pocket and plant that foot and torque his body and throw down the football field. All of those kind of things that that is a much different dynamic than even sprinting. Just run in a sprint across the football field. Those kind of things where your body has to has to adjust and still be able to be real strong when you're exploding and being sudden, you know in your movements. That's the final test.
Speaker 1: Thanks for looking up.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you I'd give him an a plus on his first test.
Speaker 6: He looked good.
Speaker 4: He looked really good.
Speaker 1: The Bengals Booth podcast is brought to you by Alta Fiber, future proof fiber Internet capable of delivering multi gigabit speeds designed to take your home, business and community to a new level. Elevate your connection with Alta Fiber. Now time for our first edition of fantastic fun Facts this year where you get to know the person under the pads. Time for some fun facts with quarterback Reed Senate from Johnston, Iowa, not too far from des Moines population roughly twenty four thousand or so. I'm from a small town in New York State. Our claim to fame is that luci Olle Ball is from there. Does Johnston, Iowa have any sort of claim to fame?
Speaker 7: Ooh, we have a nfler named Quinn Satanowski who was a long snapper on a tight end for the Baltimore Ravens for probably two or three years. We have a hybrid seed company that was known as Pioneer when I was there, So, you know, a lot of the really, really good corn was getting grown in the town that I'm from. So other than that, though, I don't know that there's a lot of excitement in Johnston, Iowa.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we've learned some important nuggets about Johnston. It sounds like you are from a very athletic family. I read that your dad was walk on basketball player at Kansas. Your mom has a background as a sports writer. Were you obsessed with sports growing up?
Speaker 7: I was, but I was only obsessed with playing them. You know, we watched Kansas basketball in North Carolina basketball, but I wasn't a professional sports fan, So I was obsessed with playing ball in the yard and coming up with games and doing it that way. But you know, watching sports has been something that I found to enjoy more as I've gotten older. But I'll still try to get my buddies play foot ball and do things like that, and they look at me like we're grown men. You know, we don't need to be doing that.
Speaker 1: Well, you are definitely a grown man. You're six four two twenty five. Were you the biggest most athletic kid in the neighborhood growing up?
Speaker 2: Not at all.
Speaker 7: I was a late bloomer, so you know, I was always taller and maybe bigger than some of the buddies that I hung out with. But my athletic prime I don't think probably came till my fourth or fifth year in college even And you know, I still think I'm on an upward trajectory, so I still think there's room for growth on that front.
Speaker 1: We're visiting with quarterback reed senate. I read that you were not the starting quarterback in high school until your senior year. Now Ben Roethlisberger can say the same thing, but it is it's an underdog story to make it to the NFL, and that's the case.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I started one year in high school. I was playing more baseball than I was football at that time. You know, I was committed to play in other sports. I wasn't doing camps and things like that, so recruiting was an uphill battle. And then I only started one year in college too, at the University of San Diego, playing behind Anthony Lawrence was a two time conference Player of the Year and ended up having a good career over in Japan. But I think it's being able to take advantage of opportunities when they come, and I think I've learned how to, you know, be the best at my role on the team, and I think there's there's a role for that at this level as well.
Speaker 1: What was living in San Diego like after growing up in Iowa.
Speaker 7: I was unbelievable, a little bit of culture shock, but I grew quickly into my rainbow sandals, and you know, picked up a surfboard a couple of times. I can't say that I'm any good, but I lived a couple of years at the beach and it's really hard to beat that, I can tell you now.
Speaker 1: I read that you were almost an Ivy leaguer before you chose the University of San Diego.
Speaker 7: You did your research. I thought I was going to go to Penn That was kind of my dream school. I remember my senior year of high school. Senior first day of senior year, everybody wore the shirt of what school they were going to go to, and I wore pinnshirt, thinking that was going to be home for me. And the coach there told me to call Tanner instran at the University of San Diego, and I called him probably four or five times and he never called me back. I'll never forget my dad telling me the living room, like call him one more time, like just call him, like he doesn't want to talk to me, And he finally picked up and he's like, come on a visit. You know, I got a chance to make the team that fall, and you know a lot of dominoes fell in my direction since then.
Speaker 1: So you finally got to start as your as a senior as you pointed out, and had a great year. Did you start to think the NFL was realistic possibility?
Speaker 7: H Dale Lindsay, our head coach. After my freshman camp and Jacques's are they said to me that they thought I could play in the NFL. And I remember telling some of my buddies from home that and then giving me a hard time like you're at the University of San Diego, man like relax, and those two people, definitely, you know, gave me some you know, confidence behind the scenes. That that made me feel like I was working towards something. And that year I felt like I was going to be able to show that I was an NFL player. And my great friend Michael Bandy was the reason that scouts were coming to watch us, and I think I gave him a reason to come around a second time.
Speaker 1: So after your college career, you signed as a college free agent with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. It was Tom Brady's first year there, so you went through training camp learning from the goat, being in a quarterback room with the goat. What was that experience like?
Speaker 7: It was amazing. A lot of people ask, you know, what's he like? And I think he's everything that everybody thinks he is. He's a fantastic person. He was really supportive of me and in little moments, you know, gave me some confidence. Even though I wasn't getting a ton of reps. He was really valuable for my development. You know. I was able to ask him questions and we would sit and eat lunch together, and I would just watch him watch tape. You know, there wasn't a lot of discussion in there, but you know, he allowed me to kind of hover around and see how he went about his business. And I definitely learned a lot about being a professional from him.
Speaker 1: If you ate lunch with him on a regular basis. What was he eating?
Speaker 2: Ah, it was funny.
Speaker 7: He was a big fan of the Sweet Baby Rays barbecue sauce. And he was joking that the Avacada ice cream and his diet stuff got blown out of proportion because he did love that Sweet Baby Rays.
Speaker 1: All Right, I feel like we've we've broken news here. Tom Brady actually ate one thing that wasn't, you know, incredibly healthy. So you've got three years of NFL experience under your belt, practice, squad time, time on the roster as a number three quarterback with the Philadelphia Eagles. How do you improve under those circumstances Because you're not getting a ton of reps during practice.
Speaker 7: It's challenging, and I think it's part of being able to take advantage of opportunities when they're presented to you. Coach Floras when I was in Miami, gave me a lot of walk through reps and so those were my super Bowl every day, you know, going against that defense and trying to make things work and learning how the defense worked. It made me I learned a ton in that. You know, Philadelphia was a different organization. I didn't get as many hands on reps and so you know, felt like I was doing a lot of learning behind the scenes. And it's part of the challenge of not being a starter in the NFL, and it's something that you kind of have to overcome and take what you can get. I feel like in the preseason especially, I've been able to take advantage of the opportunities I get, and that's going to be I think the story of my career is am I able to take advantage of those preseason reps and you know, show thirty two teams that I can play and keep getting opportunities like this or you know, figure out how it goes from there.
Speaker 1: We're chatting with quarterback Read Senate. So the XFL had a season this past spring. There were some prominent quarterbacks in that league, including former Bengal AJ McCarron. Great opportunity to play in games and you broke your foot YEP how tough was that.
Speaker 7: It was challenging. You know, I think the XFL was definitely a learning experience for me. You know, getting hurts always a challenge, but it's something that I had already had in my other foot, so you know, the injury wasn't something new to me. I kind of knew what was going to come with it, but feeling like I maybe missed out on chances this summer to you know, show that I could play, learn a new offense. Those things are things you have to take in stride. And so now I'm I'm here in the opportunity that I think could have been the best for me, and so trying to take it as much as I can.
Speaker 1: So when Joe Burrow injured his CAF at the beginning of training camp, the Bengals had a couple of quarterbacks try out and show to sign you. And some fans might have said, that name sounds familiar. Where do I know, reed Senate? And sure enough, if you go back to the preseason two years ago, you let him up for three hundred and forty three yards. He threw a miraculous roughly forty yard touchdown pass and fourth and fifteen with less than a minute and a half to go. Are your teammates aware of that? Has anybody said, hey, I remember that game?
Speaker 7: Yeah a little bit. That was a really fun experience, and I think, you know, like I was talking about taking advantage of opportunities, and it's the only game I've gotten to start at this level. I got in here, I got signed, and I was kind of finishing stuff up in the training room, and you know, Joe was kind of doing some of his rehab and I just said, hey, man, I'm reading he's like read senate preseason twenty or preseason game three, twenty twenty one. I remember that, and so it's funny we've gone back and forth a little bit about that. You know, I joked with him. I got home after that game and was, you know, obviously ride and high. I felt like there wasn't anything else I could do to make the team. And ESPN turned it on Sports Center the Hours, turn it over and they flashed Dolphins Bengals, and I'm like, are they sweet? I might get to see some highlights And they showed ju Jamar Chase drops and Joe Burrow throwing a screen for minus two, and then it flashed the final score whatever Dolphins. I don't even remember what the final score was, and then at the bottom it said Joe Burrow won for three minus two yards, so I can't even get a stat line. So you know, that brought me back to reality pretty quick. And you know, I had to joke with Joe about that, and he's been fantastic. So it's a it's been a fun quarterback room for sure.
Speaker 1: All Right. A couple of wild card topics for quarterback reed Senate. Who is your childhood athletic hero?
Speaker 7: Tyler Hansbrough of the North Carolina basketball team. I felt like I resonated with the set picks and rebounds and get you know, offensive rebounds to score baskets. That was kind of my basketball game. So Tyler Hansbrough was my guy.
Speaker 1: If you could meet anybody in history, athlete, entertainer, famous, politician, whoever it might be, who would that person be?
Speaker 6: Hmm.
Speaker 7: The first person that came to my head was Abraham Lincoln. I was, you know, reading some books that are talking about leadership and things like that, and a lot of things come back to him and his ability to you know, be kind of people remember people's names, the way that he interacted with people and obviously let our country through a really important time. I think he would be a really fascinating person to talk talk with. You know, not to skew your question now, but if I, you know, could have a golf partner, you know, to play around a golf with, I think Peyton Manning would be hard to turn down. I think, you know, you've had a whole of history. It totally changes the game. But if I could just play, you know, eighteen rounds or eighteen holes of golf would be I'd love to ride in the cart with Peyton Manning.
Speaker 1: A conversation with honest Dabe and a round of golf with Peyton Manning. That's a good combo, read, Senate. Great to have you in Cincinnati, Best of luck in the preseason.
Speaker 7: Thanks for having me. I'm really excited to be here.
Speaker 1: That's going to do it for this episode of the Bengals Booth podcast, brought to you by Bengals Picks and Ultimate Bengals. They're free to play with tickets and sign merchandise up for grabs by pay Core, the official HR software provider of the Bengals. By Alta Fiber future Proof Fiber Internet elevate your connection with Alta Fiber and by Kettering Health, the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. If you haven't done so already, please subscribe to this podcast and if you have a minute, give it a rating or share a comment that helps more Bengals fans find us. I'm Dan Hord. Thanks for listening to the Bengals Booth podcast