Speaker 1: You're listening to the Miami Dolphins podcast Network. This is Drive Time with Travis Wingfield. Back the throw to a looking slips about a wide Dolphins touchdown, t.
Speaker 2: Rickcas Wattle Wattle to a shotguns.
Speaker 1: Back, It's for all looking.
Speaker 3: Them up fires touch again It's waddle it six touchdown parad this day, Drive Time with Travis Wingfield begins. Now let me check your pulse if you're not for.
Speaker 1: What is up?
Speaker 2: Dolphins?
Speaker 3: And welcome to the Draft Time Podcast, part of the Miami Dolphins podcast Network covering your team, your Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 2: How's it going everybody? I am your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's show, we have a special guest.
Speaker 3: Once again, don't want to waste any of the time here on the podcast. Let's go ahead and kick this thing off with Kyle Krabs for part two of our draft extravaganza with Kyle from Lockdown Dolphins from the Baptist Hell Studios inside the back Just Hell Training Complex.
Speaker 2: This is the Drivetime Podcast.
Speaker 1: Mage canfish.
Speaker 3: First, please give a warm welcome to my guest today, Kyle Crabs, as promised back for a second episode with Lockdown Dolphins. Kyle Crabs if I'm the godfather of the Lockdown Dolphins podcast.
Speaker 2: What does that make you? What's the what's the name for the second?
Speaker 1: Your son?
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 3: I think you're two years younger than me. So, uh yeah, we just tried. I just turned thirty four, so I'm good telling myself here a little bit. Hey, how's dad life going?
Speaker 1: Oh, it's it's great.
Speaker 3: We want what we want until we actually get it, and then we don't want anymore. I made the joke I've never appreciated mowing my lawn before until that exact scenario happened. And then I said, I'm gonna step outside and cut the grass for forty minutes and just listen.
Speaker 1: To the werner of the lawnmower and call it a day. That's the most. Now I'm a big long guy, big long guy now.
Speaker 3: Getting thosig to cut the grass just to get a break from some noise. I've done it with headphones a few times, you know, the little guys crying too much, and most like, all right, she you know, my wife's working on it. I'm gonna sit here and just not listening to the cry for just five minutes. Five minutes of a break. I've been really enjoying that walk from the back right seat of the car to the driver's side. It's about five seconds, but it's five seconds quietness. Yep, you're gonna know that's like you're a student having two on the way as well. So yeah, man, it's it's it's a lot, but I always say it's as challenging as just rewarding, like everything in life. So it's being a dad's the best thing ever, both of us in the same boat. There, two young kids are one one for you, one coming right one one and a half, I think technically is how it'd be classified.
Speaker 1: So be here for football season.
Speaker 3: There you go, perfect, and that's good, good luck charm for the Dolphins hopefully this year. Let's go ahead and jump right back into the draft aspect of us, which is ultimately the reason we have you on. But you are, like you mentioned, a team building type of guy, so I wanted to get your take on the Dolphins as a whole. In the previous episode. If you have not checked out part one, go back and look at it. We kind of primed you for this episode heading into the draft, and I talked about it on the previous episode that I was going to tease a question about the draft, and I'm gonna go ahead and ask it to you right now, because we've covered the off season, we covered what the roster kind of looks like and where the Dolphins look heading into training camp, or I should say OTA's at this point, but I want to get your bird's eye view of where the roster with a team is heading into the draft. Like if you could put yourself in Chris Greer's chair and you know you have these four picks, you know you have the resources you have, you know you have the roster you have, you know you have the coaching staff you have, on and on and on. What are you trying to get accomplished this weekend with your four picks? With all the resources, Like I said, I mean it could be traded up, could be traded down, could be adding. Like there's it's not just the draft, right, Like it's more team building. What are you hoping to get accomplished here over the weekend? So I'm hoping to get a player at fifty one, assuming that they stay at fifty one and make a selection there, I'm hoping to get a player that's going to play a meaningful amount of snats for my team this year. I think that that's the one thing where that feel it feels like the one opportunity to potentially get a needle mover for your team, whether that's a running back that's going to play five hundred snaps for you, whether that is a tight end that's going to be your de facto inline blocker type. I know durham smythe they really like and they extended this offseason, but some of Durham's best stuff has been on split flow inside zon as compared to truly being an inline player and working the A level of the defense. Is it a linebacker, is it an interior defensive lineman who can rush the pass, or is it an offensive tackle that gives you further flexibility to be able to get your best combination of five guys out there. You know that for me is the number one objective is I don't want to force one position to just say I need to. And Chris Kreer said that himself last week. When you draft primarily for your needs, when you get yourself in trouble, right, so you kind of have your defined areas and then when you come on the clock, you ask yourself, okay, what's the best available value for a player that can control to this ruster right now? And if they have a specific player for a player at a position who's not a player that or a position that we typically associate as being a need for the team, so be it. If you've got a very specific vision and you think it's a home run draft that player too, I'm gonna be I gonna have a very difficult time finding a reason to be upset about the Dolphins drafting a player that they have a vision for that has a pathway to getting on the field. I mean, I love that because, like I did my Friday podcast where I talked about the guys that I like the most in this year's draft, and I had a receiver in there. I'm just I'm waiting for the backlash of like, while you put a receiver on there, Travis, we have plenty of receivers, Like, yeah, we do.
Speaker 2: But like, and this is a question maybe for for like.
Speaker 3: You and Joe to kind of tackle about the idea of drafting a player or how you would stack a player who is at a position of a greater need versus adding to a strength, which to me is a very underrated value. Maybe in the lexicon of the of fans. Right, maybe the league feels more in the way I do about this. Maybe not, But I think strengthening a strength, it's pretty great. Like that's a good approach to have. How do you balance that if you know, just from a team building standpoint about like, if you have two players that are close, does the need necessarily push one player over the other or is it just like whatever the player, which are players higher?
Speaker 2: We want that one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I think generally speaking, there's different I think you see a split on the thoughts of this across the league as well. You know John Robinson who used to be the gym of the Titans. He was notorious for just he just exclusively drafting me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: The New Orleans Saints would say, we don't care how many picks we have. We've got four guys that we want. We're going to trade up for all of them, and we're gonna get them. And because those are the players, we have the vision four and that's it, and we don't care if we pick any of the player. We don't care if we don't pick after eighty We're going to send everything and go get the three or four guys that we definitively think that we can get. The Patriots stack the board and they say, okay, we've got fifty three roster spots. If you're not better than somebody in the specific one of the fifty three roster spots that we have in the role that they fill in the team, you're not on the draft board. Like there's there's all these different ways to do it. As far as strengthening is strength, I think the more ways that you the more riddles that you can pose to opposing teams. However you want to do that, you know, if you want that to be hey, we got man demand beaters everywhere across the board, or it's well, if you want to stop us in this way, then we have this player who's a problem as the CounterPunch to that. There's endless ways to do it, and that's why I love team building and the strategy that's involved. There is no wrong answer. But you have seen the teams that really buy in on this is who we are, this is our identity, this is our strength. We're going to do this and we're going to make sure that if attrition hits our roster, we are still going to be in a position to be able to do this, because that's how we want to beat two week in and week out. That's why I think the team building aspect of football is so much better than every other sport in which you know, football is better than ever other sport in so many ways. But that's one of the main ones for me, because I don't know if you had this back in high school, like Decca, that the virtual store game where you would like try, yes, find the way to properly create your store to get the best sales. Yeah, I was absolutely terrible at that game, and I didn't understand why we were doing it. Like I had a different class where we'd like built fancy baseball teams and I was like, I want to do that.
Speaker 2: I don't wanted this dec of store nonsense.
Speaker 3: But it kind of reminds me of that because like, you have a finite amount of resources, everybody starts on the same level, and then you have your thirty two different philosophies and how you go about things.
Speaker 2: It's it's so fascinating to me.
Speaker 3: Mat It's why this sport is the best, why this league is the best, why we stay tuned in, you know, in the month of April was that five months away from the opener?
Speaker 2: Like it's just the best man?
Speaker 3: And speaking of April and the draft, and the main reason we have you on here is talking about the Dolphins draft class this year. And we heard Chris Career last week mention some teams have maybe picked up the phone and talked about would you be enticed to come up if certain player X is here, if we don't have player why in our spot? And you know every team goes to that every year. Right, you're gonna You're not gonna just go into the draft without any idea about who wants what and where you might have to go to get certain guys.
Speaker 2: So my question to you originally was who.
Speaker 3: Were some guys that could fall into the second day of the that would entice you to go up in that spot? Which usually in my experience, Kyle, this is not fact. Ba's just kind of going off of watching the draft for years, Like those first you know, seven or eight picks, you get a lot of activity in those picks with teams coming up to grab a guy that maybe slid a little bit. But I would expand that question and say what about back end of day one as well? Are there any players that if they conceivably could and did make it to that spot, that you might pick up the phone and and give away maybe a potential future premium pick, because that's probably what it cost to go.
Speaker 2: Up that high.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would imagine with the Dolphins at fifty one, if you're talking back in the first round, I mean you're talking twenty twenty five spots to go up into the first round, I have to imagine that would include a one Yeah next year to get it done. Some players that I have very highly ranked. I'm not saying these are players that the Dolphins with their trends, would go after, but there's some positional there's some positions where I think some of the best talent is that are non premium positions across the league, and that may cause them to dip, but not necessarily dip to fifty one.
Speaker 1: Where's b Jeon Robinson gonna go? Well?
Speaker 3: Are the Falcons gonna? Honestly is are there? Are the Falcons gonna take b John Robinson at eight? And if they don't, are the Patriots with Romandre Stevenson gonna take them at fourteen? Just because he's the best vailable player and they want to run the ball and if the answers know, like, Okay, you're gonna get into the twenties, there's a very realistic chance. And if that's a player who I think is one of the three best players regardless of positional value.
Speaker 2: In this class, that's so crazy.
Speaker 3: Man. How about Darnell Washington, the tight end from the University of Georgia who has not established the super robust receiving resume as a pass catcher, But it's because brock Powers is probably gonna be a top fifteen pick next year at tight end, and he plays for the Georgia Bulldogs as well. They rotated three tight ends, and he brings an element that the Dolphins really don't have in their tight end room because we talked about yesterday on the show Derham Smythe and Eric Saubert and what he brings in Tanner Connor's developmental type. Darnold Washington sixty seven like two hundred and sixty five two hundred and seventy pounds and can hurtle over other human beings. It's just a different ballgame. Watch the drill at the combine of him with the blocking sled versus every other tight end where he's just walking it back effortlessly.
Speaker 1: I love.
Speaker 3: It's just it's just a totally different layer, and it gives you a totally different presence within the room. It changes the dynamics of her tight end room. Tommy had a boy, the defensive lineman from Northwestern two hundred and eighty pounds ran in the four fourths. He's the first player in the history of the NFL combat in two hundred and eighty pound plus range to run four to four something. He spent a lot of time on inside shade shoulder of offensive tackles or further inside. Now he's kind of scheme flexible. He's kind of a player who can live on the outside. But we heard Chris Greer and Marvin Allen talk about drafting ahead right Zach Sealer, Christian Wilkins is a rake one. Davis are all in the final year of their current contracts as things currently stand. That's a player who I think is a potential game changer. It's not really you haven't really associated. When you talk about the Dolphins, you think a lot about the nose tackle position for more competition than another rotational player to be there with Rakwan Davis as compared to somebody who's probably more of a B gap defender, but I think he has a chance to be really really special. And then, of course offensive tackles, if you're going to do it for need and Dwan Jones falls and you're comfortable with that, or if you get kind of get win that Matthew Bergern from Sarahcuse is going to come off the board. And I like him better than a number of the offensive tackles that are purported to be going in the top twenty as far as a fit specifically for the Dolphins. And he could play guard, he playing the right side, he could play on the left side, like he'd address either one of your positions on the offensive line that are generally perceived to be the two least established. When you consider Toront Armstead, Connor Williams, and Robert Hunt. Is kind of a three established starters, and you feel really good about what you have there. So those are some names that I would invoke for the Dolphins if they find themselves in that position and somebody comes caughtland. So you can definitely sense the carry over here of the amount of times that you and I talk about this stuff in our chats, because you said a lot of players there that I've I've kind of circled in as potentials for fifty one as well. And that's where I want to go next, because you know, I used Dane Brugler's big board and kind of did this game where I if guys were within fifteen spots of that spot, I mentioned him as potential options if I liked their tap and everything, and so berge Ron, Dewan Jones were a couple of those guys as well, and that be Jhon robinsone. That's that's fascinating to me, man, because it's you know, it's like the It's like when Aaron Rodgers slid on draft Day back in five, like it was because there was just teams that didn't need quarterbacks and he just kept going and going and going.
Speaker 2: Like same situation there. So you gave me some names there for potential trade ups.
Speaker 3: Now I'm curious to see guys that you believe will be there at fifty one stick and pick and you're happy with was that list looked like?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 3: I I think Bergron has a decent chance. There are some teams that I've heard that generally consider him to be more of an inside player than an offensive tackle, and he's about three hundred and eighteen three hundred and twenty pounds a game to the combine at three eighteen, So if you think he's a guard, that might hurt his value. I like Steve Avila, the guard from TCU as well. He's very physical. He's a bowling ball. He's like the prototypical dancing bear than Mike Mayock. Ism really light on his feet, but a lot of punch, a lot of pop, a lot of power. I don't know that Mazi Smith, a defensive tackle for Michigan's gonna get to fifty one. But the concern there is the lack of impact in the passing game. He's a total freak though, and I think he has the potential to be a Dexter Lawrence type player. Dexter Warren said, like seven and a half sacks for the Giants last year, so he's got the potential to be that kind of player. Tight end, I think about Sam Laporta from Iowa, who I think has a really strong chance to be there. You'd have a hard time going wrong with a number of tight ends one day two, but Laporta, I think is the one that's probably the best fit for the Dolphins. And then I'd also mentioned Keanu Benton from Wisconsin, the interior defensive lineman who's about three hundred and ten, is a nose tackle but has some pleasant upside as a pass rusher. I think the biggest thing for him is just going to be consistently in consistency and pad level. That reminds me a little bit of Christian Wilkins when you think about when Wilkins first got in house. He so you're shaking your head and wonderful podcast. Oh there you go, Okay, exactly what And for the record, we are recording this before the Friday podcast came out, So yeah, got it cool.
Speaker 1: So reminds me of Christian Wilkins a little bit.
Speaker 3: Where just pad level consistency's going to be the big sticky point for him, and once he gets that down, he's he's going to be a really really good player on the inside for somebody. Yeah three fifteen with quicks Man. That my first thoughts number ninety four and what he does down here for us and how valuable he is. And I freaking love Keanu Benton's tape too, So that's again good company there. Man. Let's go ahead and take our first break right there and come back on the other side. We'll talk about that pick in the third round. Also want to get Kyle's measure the temperature here about what the board would look like for him to want to move off that pick at fifty one.
Speaker 2: All of that's next year.
Speaker 3: On the Draft Time Podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by AutoNation. Segment two of episode two of the Draft Time Podcast, featuring my guest today, Kyle Krabs locked on Dolphins doing a great job as always breaking down this draft class for us. I think this is the fourth year now, Kyle, I've had you on for our pre draft extravaganza, our closer are.
Speaker 1: I'm just now we don't do it more often. I'm gonna be honest with you. I get the drafts only once a year. I get it.
Speaker 2: We do combine usually if I'm there something, yeah, something, and well, you're coming back down for camp this year.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, we'll get just get you.
Speaker 3: On here for something like that because I can't wait for training came in. There's gonna be so many fun battles to watch. I need your eyes to be able to watch all ninety players out there because there's so many fun guys to watch in this roster. So Casey case in point, I know you're trying to move on here. This is one of the best five rosters in the NFL.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not so.
Speaker 3: Generally speaking like you look at you talked on yesterday's show about this edge group might be one of the best position groups in the NFL regardless of position. I think the wide receiver room has the same claim right now, And so come on, like, yeah, the training camp is going to be a show. And those are two premium spots too, which has been like one of my big sticking points, like it costs. We saw what DeVante Adams plan before, we saw what Tyreek Hill went for. We saw you know what Stefan Diggs went for a few years ago. Receivers of premium position. Edge is probably the second most premium position in the National Football League.
Speaker 2: Yes, cornerback.
Speaker 3: I mean that's another one of those like the Dolphins are checking the boxes at the main spots that really you know, require the most to go get those types of star marquee players.
Speaker 2: So if I didn't get you fired up, I don't know what will. Right there. Me and Kyle in agreement once again here.
Speaker 3: You know, if we were to do a podcast together, Kyle, like long term, we got to find a way to disagree more, because maybe not so much fun when we just sit here and agree the whole time.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Uh, yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: Some things we could agree about, but we'll save that for another Yeah, that's true, That is very true. Let's talk about what the board might look like for you to want to get off that pick at fifty one, because you know you talked about the what was it fifty.
Speaker 2: To the something power hot man, I don't know, endless possibilities. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The doomsday scenario for me is assuming that the players that are generally considered to be first round players are off the board, are all off the board, and in addition, Darnel Washington's gone, Jack Campbell, the linebacker from Iowa is gone, offensive tackle Matthew Bergeron from Syracuse is gone, Sam Laporta is gone, Mazzi Smith is gone, Washington State go Kog's linebacker Diane Henley is gone, Keanu Benton is gone. If if you find yourself in those shoes and all of those players are the players that are no longer on the board as well, I'd be inclined to think somebody who's really good fell first and foremost, and in that case you might just take that player. But if if it's a quarterback, just because we know they didn't do thirty visits and they don't perceive that to be an eme. They're paying good money for their top two guys and they invested a guy who started games for him as the third quarterback, that would be the world in which I would say, Okay, how many players are in the next tier at the positions that I'm hoping to have some competition at how much surplus do I have, and that's going to dictate how far I can go and what I could then charge another team to come up for somebody that they really want and really, you know, either restock next year at draft class or get myself back into that mid range where you know you can add a player in the fourth or fifth round, whatever it might be, that can be a contributor right away and give you some long term upside.
Speaker 2: Which you know, I think the Dolphins could use that.
Speaker 3: But if not, if like you mentioned, one of those guys falls like it's a balance of is two players better than this one player? And it's again all the different permutations and possibilities makes this so much fun. And that brings us right into the eighty fourth pick in the draft, the third round for the Miami Dolphins. Say they stick and pick at fifty one, come up on the clock here in eighty four. Does that board look like for you to want to go up there and turn your card in? Some guys that really make you rush to the podium to get that card in. So if they don't have if they don't go tight end at fifty one, or if they move back and eighty four ends up being their first pick, hypothetically, some names that really moved the needle for me would be the trio of tight ends. Luke Schoomaker from Michigan, Tucker Craft from South Dakota State, and Brenton Strange from Penn State. Those three guys, I think it was Micshay just put Brenton Strange to the Dolphins at fifty one in his most recent mont That's it's a little rich, but I really like the fit and he's a really promising player. So that trio of tight ends I would really like. I think about offensive tackle Blake Freeland, who's really athletic tested very very well as a fit at eighty four. I think fifty one is also too rich for him. But there's developmental upside here, and the Dolphins need some darnfleck stability on the offensive line with the offensive line coach. Then hopefully with Frank Smith and Mike McDaniel and Butch Berry, they can get that on lock and kind of what we talked about the value of having the same system year over year. We can get the same messaging and coaching on how to handle techniques and win to implement as well if they want to go running back. I really like Israel Abanacanada from Pittsburgh as potential long term air to Raheem Moster, who's here on the next two years on a two year deal. Those are some names that pop to me. Brenton Simpson, the linebacker from Clemson, I think could be a very intriguing hybrid type linebacker like what they brought Malik Reid in to be on a one year deal. I think about a player with Vic Fangio win his last year at Denver. They drafted the third round was Baron Browning from Ohio State. I think there's some pretty compelling parallels between those players that if they wanted that player long term, Frent and Simpson, who can play sub linebacker, he can play on the hash, he can rush the passer a little bit. That would be a pretty interesting player for me to invoke in that stratusfy of the draft as well. That's a player that I was a big fan of coming out of the draft of a year ago. So it's a couple of years ago Baron browning out of Ohio State and watching him kind of break out last year at them was really.
Speaker 2: Cool to see. So yeah, that sits it.
Speaker 3: Man. There's so many options, and you talk about that in a way that again I just no idea how it's going to go, because you talk about the tight end class like there's three different guys you might like in that spot. So it's like who's on the board, who's not. It's just it's gonna be a really fascinating draft for the Miami Dolphins. And this is the most fascinating part of having you on the podcast is right here, Kyle, because every time I have a national guest, you know, no slight to anybody, but like it's impossible to say, here's who I think might be a sixth round fit for the Miami Dolphins. But you're unique in the sense that you are that deep into the draft with Dolphins centric knowledge, So you're really providing the best value, the best bang for the buck right here.
Speaker 2: Round six and seven.
Speaker 3: I know you've got guys that you've been looking at that you're curious about, whether they can contribute on special teams, whether they have long term upside. Just some guys that you might like, whether it's six seventh round, some Day three options that you have your eye on. Watching this college tape coming into the twenty twenty three NFL Draft. Joel Honingford tight end, Michigan, former offensive tackle, will maul you into the ground if you want to improve the run game. This is a guy who he's called one pass in his college career. First two years at Michigan, he was he was literally a tackle, and he slimmed down and now he's two sixty five and he is a brick house in the run game and he will move you. And you think about coach McDaniel and San Francisco and how much success San Francisco had with late round tight ends.
Speaker 1: Who can block.
Speaker 3: This guy can pass protect, he can run, block, he is ruthless. He's a player that might not be a draftable player or might not be a drafted player. He posted modest athletic profile at his pro day. But if you want to guarantee that you're going to get him, and some teams out there kind of you. Round six and seven is kind of an advance on priority undrafted free agents, just players who don't want to run the risk of losing to another team in the open market when they're on negotiating, because then it's okay, how much of a playing time opportunity you're going to have, how much of a signing bonus, or are you're going to be able to afford us? And for a team like Miami, they have certainly not had a problem attracting priority undrafted free agents in the past. But if you want to get a jump on one, that's a name I really like. I like Xavian Valade from Arizona State running back. I believe I saw a report that they had the Dolphins had interviewed him in this pre draft process, and we had heard whispers that Mike McDaniel and company they really liked the Arizona State running back from last year in the draft, and he ended up going to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. This guy's got the same kind of slasher running style and he led to Pac twelve in rushing yards like he was super productive. He had trained inferred in and really really I thought it showed great growth from his early game tape at a smaller level of competition versus what he put on tape last year at Arizona State. I want to invoke the name Carl Brooks here from Bowling Green. I know there's some out there that think that might be a top one hundred player because he was really productive. But he's a three hundred pound body type who can really rush the passer. Played at Bowling Green and rushed off the edge at times. I think it's probably more of an interior rusher at the next level. I think he's a pretty interesting developmental type player and has some really high flashes from a pass rush perspective. So shame on me if Carl Brooks ends up going early, because I know there's some that think that's a player that could get his name called late on day two or early on day three, But from my evaluation, it's just I think middle of day three is probably a more appropriate range for him to be the kind of player that you would want to pull the trigger on at that point in the draft. Potential option if they do find a way to move off one of those earlier picks and get back into that fourth fifth round range like you're talking about there, you gave us a good player really for every round there. So that's taking it one step for their going above and beyond. Kyle, that's what you do your Draft Time Podcast appearances. We're gonna go ahead and take our last break right there and come back on the other side and play I kind of mock back and forth game. We're gonna draft our guys for the fifty first pick. That's next Draft Time Podcast. My guest today is Kyle Krabs, brought to you by AutoNation, our third and final of six segments here with Kyle Krabs. If you did not catch the Monday episode breaking down the off season so far as a primer for this episode, go back and check it out. Go ahead and leave us a rating, leave us a review five stars, and tell us what you think of me and Kyle here on the podcast. And we're gonna also maybe give the fans a chance to evaluate who does better in this game.
Speaker 2: Just for the fun of it, Kyle, I don't know, we'll see if we do that.
Speaker 3: I think our blue check marks are going away and recording this podcast, so maybe we don't even get a tweet anybodynymore. We just tweet to ourselves because that's how Twitter works now apparently. But I heard this game on the Move the Sticks podcast on Jeremiah Bucky Brooks. So they did two separate drafts and offensive drafts and a defensive draft, so like they had to build their eleven man rosters for either side of the ball, and it was it was funny to see them invoke like a fantasy style approach because like DJ took Bryce Young first and then Book He's like, I'm not gonna take a quarterback until my last pick because you can't take another quarterback here. And then DJ did this exact same thing because he went Bucky went Dejohn Robinson. So DJ gets Jamir Gibbs with the last pick. Some fun gamesmanship there. So I wanted to do something here, and we probably already have discussed all these guys, but just for the fun of it, to close something fun here on the podcast, a my Guys Draft air quote my guys, and let's keep this to the to the to the day.
Speaker 2: Two picks and it can be it can be anybody on the board.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna pull up the Dane Brugler top one hundred because I think we both we both agree Dane does great stuff, and it's it's pretty easily accessible and there's no breakdowns on the players fifty through one hundred, so you can scroll through it quickly, Kyle. But we're gonna go ahead and look at players ranked fifty. Let's do fifty one, and I know his fiftieth player is a guy that you probably pick in John Michael Schmid. So we're gonna go fifty one and lower and we're gonna alternate picks and find out which of the three players that you or I draft from that list gets more love on Twitter.
Speaker 2: Sound good? Yeah, that's fine with me. I'm gonna give you the honors. Do you need to do?
Speaker 3: Just not going to pull that big board up. Are you ready to roll with it? I think I'm ready.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm looking at it right here. There's some really good options in here.
Speaker 3: I'm happy I cut you off there on John Michael Schmidt Because'm pretty sure's where you would have gone, But why don't you go ahead and kick us off here and take your first guy from fifty one to one hundred on the Athletics Top one hundred big board. All right, Travis Well, I appreciate the hospitality here to let me kick this thing off. I'm gonna go with my highest rated player for the Dolphins and my own evaluations off these players outside of the top fifty, starting with mister Jack Campbell linebacker, Iowa Hawkeys. That's gonna be my first pick.
Speaker 2: Where's he at? What number is here?
Speaker 1: Jack Campbell is ad I just saw him as I was scrolling through. Here is seventy three.
Speaker 3: Wow, seventy three. You're getting a good right there at number seventy three. I was almost certain you were going to take my guy right here, because we talked about him as a potential first round pick and you were sending me some Jack Campbell close the other day.
Speaker 2: That dude's the stud. So you definitely got a great pick right there.
Speaker 3: But I'm going to go right back to the well here on the offensive line, six foot eight, three hundred and seventy five pounds can dunk of basketball, can swallow up the entire second level of defense. He allowed five pressures last year, no hits, no sacks, five pressures in pass protection. Dwan Jones, the offensive tackle from Ohio State's my pick. He's number fifty two here, so he just gets into a threshold. You know this, This is where the gamesmanship starts to come in here. I don't want to have an emotional reaction to you making that selection, so instead, I'm going to go with my favorite tight end fit for the Dolphins. It's a name that we've discussed I can stay with, ironically enough, the Iowawkeyes, and Sam Laporta is the choice here for the Dolphins. Another area of course of interest for the Dolphins and their fans as they look to retool that offense. I'm gonna, you know, go against the rules of the move the sticks game here because there's another guy that is same possession I just took. I'm gonna take two of them, and it's a guy that I've been talking about quite a lot the last couple of weeks as I finish up my draft prep.
Speaker 2: I think the world of Matthew Berger on man here.
Speaker 3: No is that against the rules. Maybe I broke my own rules there. Oh, you can do whatever you want, it's your show. I don't care.
Speaker 1: But you know what, there's a guard chills met.
Speaker 3: Slash guard on the name. So I'm gonna just go ahead and sam drafting as a guard for the sake of the game.
Speaker 1: Will he just blew up my whole spot?
Speaker 2: It says six five three twenty three and here I had him at three eighteens.
Speaker 3: So maybe he gains weight, which great, But I think that he's a phenomenal fit for this Dolphins offense. What do you want to play? Inside or outside? Matthew bergeron? So I've got Dwan Jones and Matthew bergeron.
Speaker 1: Let's go how many? How many players are we picking? Just three? This is the last one, okay, so this is my last one.
Speaker 3: I would get absolutely plastered for not adding an offensive line to this list. I know that I know the appetite of Dolphins fans, so I hear your cries. I will add Oklahoma's Anton Harrison as my third and final selection. Harrison has some echoes of Christian Darisol, who was a first round pick for the Vikings. I don't think he's quite as polished, but he is a pleasantly good mover for his stature and how long that he is. So I like that as my third option as a tackle who's who's generally perceived to be in the same stratosphere of draft projections as Matthew berg Roun.
Speaker 2: I like it a lot.
Speaker 3: You've got a really solid looking school bad there, and I'm thinking about taking a player we already discussed, but for the sake of the podcast, because we already broke this player down, I want to get your take on somebody else. I was gonna slot in Keanu Benton here, and I gotta say, if I had Dewan Jones, Matthew Bergeron and Keanu Bent, I think I'm gonna crown myself the winner right away with that. But and maybe I still do because I like my team up, because I like my guys. But I'm gonna go to someone else here. And a running back I just think is awesome and ty J Spears from Tulane. I just want to get your take on him real quick, bum blayer. Obviously, the big concern with him is there's some some medical questions. He had a torn acl and tormaniscus earlier in his college career, but he came out and he ran all over just about anybody who tried to defend him last year obviously went out with the banging and the Bowl game against USC on New Year's Day. And I think he has the best vision instincts outside of b Jon Robinson, of any back in the class. I think his vision in processing is really really good. So when you think about that potentially fitting into a zone scheme, zone heavy SKA.
Speaker 1: Rushing the ball.
Speaker 3: Of course, everybody's gonna run all different kinds of concepts based on the front you're given, but the Dolphins and Mike McDaniel historically run a lot of zone. Tay J. Spears is a player whose instincts is being able to set up blocks and cut off of blocks and make defenders wrong with what gap they plug themselves into. Really really fun fit and look, I think if you take his top twenty runs from last year, they hold up against just about anybody's in the nation.
Speaker 1: Last year for running back prospects.
Speaker 3: In this year's class, averaging over four yards per carry after initial contact all four years there at two lane.
Speaker 2: He is man.
Speaker 3: He's a fun guy to watch. I'm glad you feel the same way. And like that senior ball. On top of it, the production had this year. The Senior Bowl was fun to watch with him too, So really good stuff there, man. You got Jack Campbell, Sam Laport, and Anton Harrison. He got Dwan Jones, Matthew Bergeron and ty J Spears. Let us know on Twitter who won the draft. I'm curious to get your guys' take on that interact with us. Let us tige us in those as well. I can't speak anymore at the end, Kyle, speaking of that, these usually take us an hour and a half to get.
Speaker 2: Through two episodes.
Speaker 3: I think both episodes clocked in right around thirty seven minutes, So I try.
Speaker 2: That's my friend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, we did like a two hour marathon two years ago or whatever it was. So we laugh at we're saving each other's voices here at the end.
Speaker 1: It's great.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 3: I'll give you a list of the floor once again to promote your stuff where they can find you and where your podcast and where you're writ and all that fun stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I'm locked in on the locked On network, host of Locked On Dolphins. I'm the co host of the Locked On NFL Scouting podcast, which is a show dedicated to team building across salary cap management, trades, player valuations, player evaluations, qualities of rosters, pretty much everything that your general manager has to sort through to make decisions on how to make a roster. Of the things and angles that we try to take, we look at a lot of stuff from the top down instead of from the bottom up, which is a lot of fun because it's a lot of big picture conversations on that show. But that's where I'm at. You can find me on social media at Grinding the Tape, Twitter, and Instagram. So come say hi and let's talk talk to Dolphins Football. You guys found a way in a totally saturated market to find something unique, which is in twenty twenty three, I don't think there's such a thing as a unique podcast anymore, but you guys did find a way to hit that. So really looking forward to hearing more of your guys takes pull from the Dolphins in the National Football League as we go forward here into the team building cycle. Kyle Crabs once again, thank you for your time today, sir. I appreciate it every single year. It's an hour plus of your time, so greatly appreciate it, my friend.
Speaker 2: We'll see us soon.
Speaker 1: Thanks. Travis Joy the draft, and off he goes.
Speaker 3: And as we do when we have Kyle on the podcast, we got smarter. We learned more about this draft class, were learn more about the Miami Dolphins, and what a fun weekend it's going to be adding some more talent to this Miami Dolphins roster, which, if you heard Kyle say, top five roster in the NFL, hard to disagree with him there. If we get the top five quarterback production again, oh buddy, could be a lot of fun there. All right, let's go ahead and get out of here. Tomorrow Jordan Reed joins us to give us some NFL scuttle butt and kind of preview the entire draft, but also talk about his mock picks for the Miami Dolphins, and then we're off until we have draft picks. We'll recap Friday's draft with the Tube draft picks, assuming it's only two, or it is two.
Speaker 2: Or whatever the case may be.
Speaker 3: Plus audio from Chris Greer and Mike McDaniel post night two recap. Media availability lots to come your way here on the Draft Time podcast. In the meantime, subscribe rate review, follow on social all that fun stuff. Check out the fish Tank podcast with Seth and Juice. Check out our team YouTube channel for media availabilities, Dolphins Today, and a heck of a lot more and last, butt not least, Miami Dolphins dot com Until next time, Fins up, Carolina and Cameron Daddy, He's coming home.