Speaker 1: Brulet Cat Podcast Special guests in here Malcolm May's welcome sir. For people who don't know what I know you from Snowfall, all right, all right, which is obviously one of the more legendary television shows, the last I don't know forever. Yeah, yeah, it's one of them ones.
Speaker 2: It's one of them ones.
Speaker 1: But I did not know that you made music, So what were you doing? First acting of the music?
Speaker 2: It was always both So I'm I came up at a church that was in the middle of the twenties called First African Methodis Episcopal Fangka. Out of it came fifteen hundred and nothing, so ranting them all from that same church, JAMMI and so I've always been musically inclined. It's just everybody else was better than it around me. So I didn't think, like you know, when you when you hanging around goats, you often think that your talent is minimized, right, But then you also get to stepping around other people and you're like, wait, hold up, how might have something. I'm actually like, they're so amazing that I'm better than everybody else, or I could be persily right if you put the work in in time. But I've always been doing music. I was a songwriter since I was fifteen. I got my first placement at sixteen years old.
Speaker 1: What was your placement?
Speaker 2: Man, I ain't even granting them that got that for me? Yeah, they did. It was a blessing. It was I think it was on a TV show or something. It was like a nine or two or zero or something like that. Yeah, my first song independently, Yeah, it was dope.
Speaker 1: So obviously, living in La a lot of people come here to start acting. What was the origination of you like being an actor and like actually making a career out of it.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, my mama, bro like mama, grandma, my community, even my church, like from church plays. You know. My mom always was like trying to find different ways to keep me distracted out the streets, and it didn't work, but she tried her best. And this was one of the things that always stuck. When you were Quel Robinson, I got to give her a flower. She had a school in the hood for acting, Amazing Grace Conservatory, which is still active to this day, and basically she gives grants out to certain kids who she believes is talented to kind of foster and give them a conservatory level of training, right and at a cost, which was no cost for some people, to be honest, and that's produced, Like I think the dude who was in Moonlight like me, yeah, she she, it'll produced music or to everybody, everybody, you came out of there, yeah I did. And before that it was faith acting. So it was faith acting. Then AGC and they were kind of the same, so it was there and then yeah, it just kind of kept me out out the way. Well, it tried to keep me out the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how because the act obviously, I'm involved in the music industry, and the music industry is such it's a lot of it's like hitting the lotto, but for whatever reason, the acting game to me feels like even more difficult to get like into.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Numerically, I mean if you look at the people. First of all, music don't have no union.
Speaker 1: So that's not just everyone moves to LA and it's like not only y'all getting into movies.
Speaker 2: Bro. Yeah, no, I think it's less than one percent of the SAG union works.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: It's a job a year, and I've been blessed enough to always work. But that didn't come from no like, you know, knowing nobody. I wasn't nobody nephew or son or everything. I was just me and blessed enough that people see me working along the way.
Speaker 1: So what was your first big break on the acting side?
Speaker 2: First big break? Shit, what I made. My first big break to me was when I made my first feature. I was seventeen years old. I wrote director, started it because I didn't know no better. And I won this grant from Panavision. I was like seventeen years old. It was supposed to be for college students, but I didn't know. So I just applied and they gave me this big ass film camera, and so I had to learn how to like cut film, like like my fingers.
Speaker 1: You shot your own shit, Like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Like really, I was on Super sixteen. I'm shooting my first feature. I started it, directed it. But I had always had a love for cinema. I always had a love for music, so I just that was like a mode of expression for me. Like even when you said, like, oh, the music industry of the film industry, that should be weird to me, because that's not my I don't have like actor friends. I didn't get active friends till later. I had like friends who like we throw going away parties and those going away parties just to turn themselves in so that you, hell, yeah, that's my friends. So I didn't even as I was being successful, even when like I'm going to tell you ride or what, and the homies ain't never heard of that shit, right, you know what I'm saying. But like I'm talking about you know, Bernardo Berta Lucci. You know, niggas don't really know what the fuck I'm talking about. But you know, they supported me, they loved me. I always got loved, so I just kept doing it. But the industry, the commodification of art, I still don't get that shit. I don't know how you navigated. I don't know how my manager Chris Cornish navigated. I don't know how niggas do that. I just make shit and been blessed in us and people like it, yeah well sometimes, but like really, I just I bother niggas because it ain't shit scarier and ain't no no scary. Ain't nothing scarier than death. So I'll be present, like I'm making my shit, I'm going and if people like it, they like it.
Speaker 1: So how did you initially get into snowfa Obviously, John Singleton was behind me. God rest the soul, Rest in peace to John Singletons piece of the Big homey Ah, but you obviously very imperative early in the show. What was the process of getting on his radar and getting casted in that show?
Speaker 2: Well, I had known Johnson Saw sixteen seventeen years old because of that movie. I told you, I'm right. So when I made it, I was also working at Sony Pictures under the head of physical production name Gary Martin. He gave me the opportunity to learn the business of filmmaking because I was bothering him. So he was like, you know, it was an internship that I found. I snuck on the lot.
Speaker 1: Talk to Jesus, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was crazy. It was really wild out here. You know, I would ditch. I was going to summer school at Hamilton and ditching.
Speaker 1: So you were interning on the movie lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But nobody really knew how old I was, so they just like, let me do shit. And I knew what I was talking about, but they didn't know I was a kid kid. So I was getting checks like sixteen fifteen years old that were looking like nice, like not crazy.
Speaker 1: Bright or something. Ffteen year old, you're getting.
Speaker 2: Ten bands, you like nigga, I'm up in my family, living in a section. I'm like, I'm up. So for me making that feature film, there were other people like Gary Martin who had built the careers of minority filmmakers. He's a white dude, looked like Santa Claus right, but he always enabled black Latino and female filmmakers from the nineties like Robert rod Reegaz, like all In and John and he thought that I reminded him of John and John would. He would tell John, I got this kid, I got this kid, but until I made my first feature, John wasn't trying to hear it. So when I find he made my first feature got on the front of New York Times, John was like, Okay, I'll listen to this kid. You feel me? And we clicked because he did know who Bernouto Bertolucci was. He did know you know what what Burger's standing out to go to and south from Los Angeles, and he knew books and he knew music, and he like people don't know. John on the record label and the first person he ever signed was was an aight dog crazy Yeah, that's like he been that nigga, Like it's it's always been intertwined, it's never really been separated. And you know, like if you know the history of l A, you know.
Speaker 1: Was he also working with Coolio?
Speaker 2: Yeah at some point yeah, yeah he got he really go like I had, I had.
Speaker 1: The music director dude for the show on the White dude from from Compton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, John Stewart. He for real, I ain't gonna lie. He been outside like he'd been outside.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so you're like a real just film geek. I mean, you got to be a geek about this ship to really like put your own movie out as a kid.
Speaker 2: I mean shit, I'm like that with music too, like like like so you added in your own movie? I did at that time. Yeah. Now now it's like it's too easy, Like.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, when you were like so like back in the day, did you have final Cut?
Speaker 2: Like back in the day it was AVID and now you still have AVID. But back then there was these massive systems that you had to edit on just like music with it right here, and it's.
Speaker 1: Like no, it used to be crazy. Now anybody can buy a little red box from Guitar Center.
Speaker 2: But just like music, everything used to be taped, everything used to be analog.
Speaker 1: You had to cut it right if.
Speaker 2: You wanted that analog field. So I was actually I remember my first film I cut like on like a like a like a star.
Speaker 1: You were actually like the film.
Speaker 2: And then the next film I did like on avid, which is like ingesting these massive things I shot on film. I did all that I've done. I've done my work like I've really been out here. Probably didn't have to, but but that was I loved it. When you love some shit, you don't even know that you're supposed to be doing certain things to industrialize, to solidify a career, or political I never did the politics very well, even in music. Like That's why it took me so long to transfer over and do this EP which is on the Streetjournals Value one June twenty third, And you know, I got these big features and everybody's like, oh my.
Speaker 1: God, who is on their EP?
Speaker 2: Like, bro, if ill I gotta tell you off camera because it's a surprise.
Speaker 1: You're here to promote it.
Speaker 2: Who's on the EP? This? Can I tell them? Am I holding that it's a big one? You can tell mhm, Well you can't you can't put it in there. You gotta beep it. You gotta you gotta beat it.
Speaker 1: We'll beep it.
Speaker 2: So the next single I'll play for you it's alow.
Speaker 1: Baby, oh shit.
Speaker 2: And then the next one me and Wally we just got a video to day oh shout out to. Yeah, it's gonna go crazy like it's a fight on you people to go crazy Like it's really different.
Speaker 1: Damn, that's a pretty uh, that's a pretty serious feature to get. Is this your first EP?
Speaker 2: It's my second one. The first one was Red Flags. It was Red Flags was more like a like a like a gritty R and B.
Speaker 1: Would you consider like your movie career is helping you fund your music career now.
Speaker 2: Because I've been saying saying everything but everything right, like because I you know, my movie career, you know acting, I make a bag that's for the family, but I make people don't know, like I'm diversified. I have a real estate trust. I got like at some point I had an equity stake in the luxury car business during the pandemic because you know, all the finessas and drug dealers wanted to rent cars. I made a bunch of money doing that. But when you say make a bunch of money, it's not like a flex. It's like I would I took. I just basically took money. I was gonna go spend to go buy a Dumn car and it went and invested in the company that I had a bunch of cars, so that like, whatever's not on the lot, I would just use that. So that was fun because I got to experiment with cars and see what I liked. It's never really motivated by me trying to like, you know, look flaw. It's more so me like how do I not lose this money? So I do that I got, But that's all just business ventures to make sure that my mom, my grandma, my son, my seed has something. But the music was always just a passion that I love to do and I don't want to lose money. And Chris got Chris just you know, he just left Empire to fuck with me. You know, I'm managed by him and Brinch Managers, which is tie based in and Jane Andrews. So like a lot of people have banked on me. You know, Venice Music Group is distributing.
Speaker 1: They dope my friend tweets over there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and essentially they like they just help you if you independent. So a lot of people taking time out putting sweat equity into me, and I just don't want them to look stupid.
Speaker 1: So like I gotta I gotta fall through now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I put I'm not ashamed of it. I took every dollar I had from all of these different ventures and said I'm banking on myself with this music ship. So when I was talking to Glasses, I'm like, bro, you know, you know because you one of the few left real LA media outlets for hip hop, right, like we are we are in a dire state, right, we got you. We got community in them, which.
Speaker 1: Broke homegrown radio, shown.
Speaker 2: Radio of course DJ head and of course like Chuck is that man. But then it's like Gina when she's not on No Jumper, I guess, and like she's.
Speaker 1: Not on No Jumper now, I think she just started her own thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah apartment, she should, but she but she's been doing that like she's been hard, Like she's all in the d her and her the DJ friend, they be doing it so like and they should go crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah West Coast Conference the name of their show they were doing. I don't think it's happening anymore.
Speaker 2: Though, Oh okay, well do you see what I'm saying. We don't have a place to go all the all the outlets is on the East coast or in the south, So.
Speaker 1: For sure, the East coast gotta sewed up.
Speaker 2: So this is important to me because I'm like, well, where did the little hommies go tap into? Really? Because you know hip hop, you know music history, you know, like you've been outside and you really love this shit. So I was like, man, who do I talk to? Who do I go tell that, Hey, look, I make music, I'm out here and it's not bad. Who do you go to that goes, hey, this shit? This nigga go right, y'all should check this out. There's only like three people, and I'm not going I ain't gonna shit on nobody. But I'm not going to the to the other person because I don't you know, I'm not You're not gonna catch me on nobody, Like, no offense to nobody, respectfully on how they get their money. But certain platforms you're not gonna see me on because I don't I'm from a certain element and I got a cold. I'm not doing that right, And so it makes it very difficult. So this was very important to me. I appreciate you coming through man, really important. You're this is really important.
Speaker 1: Well, I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: So, you know.
Speaker 1: So the EP is June twenty third.
Speaker 2: When it drop, dropping on the surprise single feature with the music video and the EP. All at once we.
Speaker 1: Got away from John, you were telling me about how you would.
Speaker 2: Well, he taught me how to invest in myself.
Speaker 1: Okay, so he had originally took you serious once he saw.
Speaker 2: You investing myself.
Speaker 1: He did this movie your own feature and all that. So how does that spiral off?
Speaker 2: So what ends up happening is he goes, I'm gonna get you in the USC Film School, okay, because like that's the dream, is that John Singleton walk you into the dean of USC Film School and go, which was essentially what happened. But I was still outside. I think there was some and I always say this, I think I was. He has a son who's a wonderful human being and a great you know, director and creator and visualists himself. But their relationship was tense, and at that time it was tense. It was great after that, but I think I at that time I didn't have me and my pops wasn't really you know, he wasn't really around at that moment. So John kind of failled in, and I kind of filled in for that relationship that he was not repairing with his son in my opinion, and I could be wrong, and we kind of like bumped heads a lot because it meant a lot to us. I didn't know that until later. I just thought he was trying to be my daddy. I'm like, nigga, I don't like, I don't really want to hear none of that shit. But at the end of the day, he wanted me to go to school and study filmmaking. But I wanted to study the business of filmmaking because I knew how to make movies right. And he thought and he was right, that shit was That's not what he walked me in there to do, right, And so we bumped head pretty bad, and we you know, I ended up you know, back in the streets again doing some things, and he kind of was disappointed and we kind of like got into it, and then you know, we ended up re routing back to each other. When I auditioned because Kim Kim Harden, who's his longtime casting.
Speaker 1: Director auditioned on Snowfall.
Speaker 2: On Snowfall, she she brought me in originally the audition for Tupac, and then she was like, you dope, Like I need to fuck with you for the Tupac movie. Yeah, he was going to his Tupac movies. I had the original draft of his Tupac movie.
Speaker 1: John Singleton has a Tupac movie.
Speaker 2: He has a Tupac movie. And the opening is I'm not even gonna go I have that.
Speaker 1: Did that movie ever get made?
Speaker 2: No, No, it's.
Speaker 1: Just not sitting on the shelf. Because the Tupac movie we got was decent.
Speaker 2: Let's not even do that it was decent.
Speaker 1: It was decent. I would say it was decent. I think I think the two Pac movie we got it does it does get some unwarranted hit.
Speaker 2: I'm a real nigga, Like I love Bennie Boom, like he did a lot for my section.
Speaker 1: You know, No, I think he gets unwarranted he actually like when I saw it, I was like, I mean, I thought they casted the funk out of the Tupac.
Speaker 2: But we know that Tupac's biopic deserved the same level of residents even more, I say that he deserved a Gandhi level, right, a Malcolm X level.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 2: He was that big of a in that level of cinema, right, And that doesn't mean that Benny couldn't do it. But the budget limited and all that, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I just think there was like budget issues. You can kind of tell. It's like it should have gotten the same respect as like Ali Rush something, you know.
Speaker 2: And so my big on legs recipes. You know, Lucky was right hands with Bennie Boom. So he's helped out in the section a lot. Shout the walker fucking video on our section all that, so I show him.
Speaker 1: No, I actually thought it was like like knowing all the restraints and ship, I thought it was lot of a solid and I thought that.
Speaker 2: Now I can't now I can't say that I don't feel that way, but I respect the kids.
Speaker 1: Kid who played Tupac though, look just like him.
Speaker 2: He keV, you're such a hip hop hip hop is just like he looked like him. You are. That's like real hip hop ship to say, It's like.
Speaker 1: Are we sure I wasn't around your mom Brown?
Speaker 2: But but you never know what blessings you get from losing.
Speaker 1: So that.
Speaker 2: Kim was like, I need to bring you in for something. I think you'd be the great, the great as a lead for She brought me in for the lead of Snowfall.
Speaker 1: So they you got brought in to be Franklin sat initially.
Speaker 2: Oh, I screen test, okay, yeah, I always asked the screen test. Yeah. Like I went in like and John didn't even recognize me until the first audition. He was like, holy shit, that's my He was like, that's my fucking son. This is amazing. He's like, where have you been? And he was like. It was a.
Speaker 1: Beautiful reunit full circle moment.
Speaker 2: Man. I never forget. It was Mother's Day. I just seen it was really tough for me at that time, like we were my family was going through it and put all our business out. But it was Mother's Day and I just seen my mother and my grandmother in a very compromising situation, like they were hiding, like shit. He was on the first floor of an apartment hiding the air mattress in the bathroom type shit, you know. On Mother's Day. And the next day was my audition for Snowfall.
Speaker 1: And he knocked it out the park.
Speaker 2: Obviously I did. And then but I think that the studio just wanted to go another way because the two creators are actually John Singleton and Erica Madio who's from Downy and he never gets enough credit for creating Snowfall. It was him and John's initial idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, John's like, you know the name, you know John.
Speaker 2: Yeah, John's the name, and but their DNA together is what made the show. And then there's this a show runnerho I'm not gonna mention, who was kind of put in position as a company man to kind of manage them because they were they were new to television, and by the end of the situation, I just feel like, uh, a lot of the decision making was not left up to John and you know, to my from from you know, for whatever better or worse. But because of that, certain things happen. And that's fine. I'm okay with it because I think that God works how he works. The only thing I would say is that gave me my mentor back, Like we got to get that cool and that leadership and that foundation, and then and then sundays that I missed in that and being up under him and learning and history and just everything more than just film and television. It was just a beautiful like thing. And the only thing I missed that I wish I could have done was become a big enough star to to give back to him like he's given us so many stars and respecting love to them. But he never got the treatment that Scorsese got. He never got the treatment.
Speaker 1: He didn't even get to see what Snowfall became.
Speaker 2: No, he didn't, and and to my in my opinion, I just wish he would have had his Leo, his Robert de Niro, you know whoever his part, like the guy who's booming because he put him on come back and make all his filmmaking dreams come true. So that's my only regrett.
Speaker 1: Right right right, I mean it ended up being like a greatly casted show.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, everybody in the show can act.
Speaker 1: They ass uh, dude did a great job. Like I didn't even know he was from the UK until I think I saw an interview after season two. I was like, this fucking kids from London.
Speaker 2: No, damn since the star hands Dawn, Like listen the original people who were screen testing for.
Speaker 1: And the Uncle jer was such a good cast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, first of all, looking Aim and Joseph, it's a different level about he's a different animal. He's a different animal, same beast. Like he's really what Kobe be talking about. But when I speak of Dampson, Dampson earned that amongst Like he didn't just win that against regular actor niggas he went. He wanted against the best of the best out there, like Kofe Cyrbo was up for that role. Like I was, like, it's certain people who you know, like get busy.
Speaker 1: I heard like Dub C helped him with his like West Coast style.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dub was there to do the training and you know.
Speaker 1: You didn't help him at all.
Speaker 2: Of course I did, but I but I ain't never took no credit because you know, Dub was there every day Rogers. But initially, like when we were just like people don't even remember rhythm why g was originally Kevin.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I remember right before brug got you know, he was in the studio and got hurt. Yeah, and then the studio kind of freaked out.
Speaker 1: I think, so why you was supposed to be in the show, and then he got shot and then things.
Speaker 2: I don't know why, but after he got hurt, he wasn't Vin no more. Oh wow, and then it was Kofy.
Speaker 1: That's great, that's real shit.
Speaker 2: That's how this shit go. Bro, It's like this whole.
Speaker 1: I did not know why she was supposed to be in a snowfall.
Speaker 2: Oh man, listen, Kofe was Kofe and I were up for Franklin. Kofe ended up being the leader Queen Sugar. They moved me to Leon. I was Leon at some point. Wo However, for me, the lead to Leon to being being Kevin, Like then they made Kevin a bigger It was crazy, but you know, for whatever the reason, that's that's what it was. But what I'm saying is Damnson is a star and he's also my friend and a good dude. Like he just he fun. He have a good time. But it's funny because I don't even think people have really realized how entertaining he is yet, you know, but it will come. And and that's why I.
Speaker 1: Just met him at the Tyler the Creator show and he was super nice, super nice guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a fun guy.
Speaker 1: He was just there by himself and joining the Tyler Show.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's damn damn thing like that. He's really a charming, funny dude.
Speaker 1: What's up, y'all, we got to stop the interview real quick to tell you about our good friends at my bookie. That's right, it is NBA Finals. You gotta hammer the Nuggets. I don't know, they might sweep the heat. I would look at the like serious eye. D on that. Go to my bookie right now. Let's get some money, man. All right, Baseball, of course is in full effect. We got Stanley Cup Finals, NFL seasons on the way. Sign up at my bookie dot ag right now, use the promo code Bootleg and you will get that first deposit bonus. All right. Look, I don't care where you're at. You can go to my bookie dot Ag. Let's gamble on some sports. They got the casino. You can do live blackjack, you could do live roulette, craps, you could do all kinds of slots. And of course bet on the NBA finals, bet on the NHL Stanley Cup Finals. It is crazy. Shout out to Vegas gold Knights. That's what I'm rooting for. And of course baseball season. Man. All right, so look right now my bookie dot Ag. Use that promo code Bootleg and sign up. When you do, use that promo code they're going to give you a first deposit bonus straight to your account, free money. All right, my bookie, dot ag go do that. Also got to give a shout out to our family at blue Chew. That's right, ladies and gentlemen. It's getting hot outside. That means. I don't know what that means. It's just hot. So I feel like when it's hot, people want to fuck more. Right, So, you know, fellas if you're dealing with a rectile dysfunction, it happens to the best of us. I'm sure. Maybe you are old, Maybe you are dealing with stress at work. Maybe you don't want to sleep with the same lady that you're married to over and over. Need a little extra motivation, they get that thing stand up.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Go to a blue choo dot com, use the promo code bootleg, and they'll send it straight to your door. Three month supply a blue Choo for free, all right. Now, does blue Choo work? Yes, it does. You're gonna get a free month supply to be able to see for yourself. Blue shoo dot com promo code Bootleg. Now, if you don't know what it is, it is the same active ingredient as viagra and sialis, but in a chewable form. And you do not have to go to a doctor's appointment. All right, you do everything online. You don't have to go sit at a doctor's office and talk to some old man in a lab. Code about your dick issue is not necessary anymore in twenty twenty three. Right, So go to Blue Cheo, sign up with that promo code bootleg, get a month's supply for free. Let's get back to the interviews. When you get the script and you realize your guy's about to get killed off? What's that like? As an actor?
Speaker 2: I don't feel shit, nigga from the streets that sit.
Speaker 1: I just wonder, I was.
Speaker 2: I was glad to get my family out of the hood. I always just thank you for the money.
Speaker 1: Fact, I wonder when I watch my favorite shows and like you'll see like one of these beloved characters get killed, like on the actors side when they get that script and they're like, oh, well, o keV.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you know this. I'm black. We dyeing everything. So I'm just used to this. No, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: I knew already, right, So you had an idea that John.
Speaker 2: Well, listen, there's certain things that I'm just not gonna talk about right now because I want to. I don't want it to overshadow what I'm doing with music, what I'm doing with film and television, because when I talk about that, I want to talk about it from a place of puiture. For niggas can't say I'm hating right, so I gotta first. But the way that I can say without being a snitch ass motherfucker is being like, other things happen, Some real situations happened that I didn't agree with how certain people handled them. John went to bat for me, and they found a way to be like, hey, like, we're not sure if we want to keep them. And John came to me, it was like, do you want me to fight for you? Do you want to stay on? And John and I had so many we had movies with Netflix going We had all types of shit going on, like a movie like, we had all types of things like writing and directing going on, and so he was like, do you want me to go to bat for you? And I was like, no, I don't want to be where I'm not wanting. And He's like, well, it's not that they don't want you. They just want to. You know, they want to, They want to get. They want to they're scared they want to get. Gets you outy here because you know whatever. And I said, I'll be like, I'm straight, bro't I'm good, And I was good. I ended up as a lead on Racing cany So for me, other actors, they operate out of fear because it's just like music. Like you, you know, when people come bringing your mixtape and shit, like they trying so hard. They love this shit so hard. They they work so hard and they don't get nothing back from it. You have one opportunity to wrap in front of cav. You got one opportunity to get in front of like Kanye or somebody and do your shit, and then that could change your whole life. But I've been blessed enough to know my divine ordain. It like people love me at home, bro, like where I'm from, I'm solid im. I could be on the I could be down down dicking the dirt, and niggas respect me because of what I've done in real life. My mama loved me, my grandma loved me. My section love me. You feel me so whether I book a roll or not. First of all, niggas know, I'm cold with this movie shit as you can see. If I want to wrap, I can rap good, seeing Good, do whatever I really want to do. So everything is just timy every but I feel bad for other people because there's a desperation and it's sad because people take advantage of that.
Speaker 1: We're in like a great position as a as a musical artist because you do have like a real career, the very thriving acting career.
Speaker 2: Thank you man. Well, and there's a strike right now, right, so like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how's that? So for people who don't understand.
Speaker 2: Because Nigga's not working, they out of.
Speaker 1: Work because all we do is hear about this strike. My uh, you know, my kid goes to school on burdbanks, so you know it. So some of his friends, like parents are like a stuntman or.
Speaker 2: Everybody is gangshit.
Speaker 1: So nobody is working.
Speaker 2: Bro, let me break this ship down for you. It's gang ship. When you get in the union, they taxing your ass. You don't even want to be in the union. They like, hey, bro, so.
Speaker 1: Are you with the writers?
Speaker 2: I'm with writing the I think I'm with DJ. I'm not sure, sag.
Speaker 1: I mean, are you like you you agree with the writers going on strike like it's a bo.
Speaker 2: It's gang shit, it don't matter, like it's gang banging.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so like if they everyone strikes, well yes, well yes now and thank god.
Speaker 2: But it's not always been like that. There's like inner things fighting, but we're all coming together because we all got the same plight. Now, the problem is that profits have expanded massively egregiously, and they and the compensation has remained the same, much like in American culture with like then wagem to like to something twelve dollars.
Speaker 1: It does not reflect inflation.
Speaker 2: Right at all. Inflation is like I don't know, ten x or some shit, and then the minimum wage has moved up a few cents or whatever. That's the same thing that's happened with writers. Now. For me, I'm from a place where like one writer's check that it is right now can change my whole life and everybody's life where I'm from. So it's hard for me to relate as an individual, but as a body and a group of people who are trying to set a standard so that egregious acts aren't happening by people at the top. I gotta support it. It's true. The math is mathing is what.
Speaker 1: It makes sense.
Speaker 2: It makes sense why they're striking. It makes sense and they need to.
Speaker 1: So for you, is your stars filming put to.
Speaker 2: A halt or did you already wear everything on the whole?
Speaker 1: I didn't know if you were. We're in the middle of shooting, or like.
Speaker 2: Well, well we was literally the day I was supposed to go back to shoot like they was like wait, wait, wait, hold up. But a lot of the scripts were already written, so we may still go.
Speaker 1: Back because everything's written right.
Speaker 2: Which means we're technically and the clear for some of those scripts. This is where it gets tricky when so this is where it gets tricky because the most gangster of all the unions is I at IATC and the truckers like the truck.
Speaker 1: Do driving the trucks.
Speaker 2: They don't get equipment, but they have a we don't cross picket lines policy. It's mandatory. It's game bag. So even though they are contractually obligated to show up's work, if WJ, SAG or DJA show up and they like form a picket line at any production, they won't cross. They ain't crossing it so the secret is and I'm probably snitching too much, but it is what it is. If they if we can get to you, were gonna get on your ass, and they not crossing. So shit gets stopped, you feel me? And that does affect everybody's pocket because then nobody's working. Productions get slowed down. Things ain't happening. I've been blessed enough to have been making a massive pivot, or not even a pivot, but I was doing music.
Speaker 1: Well, you can focus on music a little bit more now, Oh yeah, I got to you see, I got the man.
Speaker 2: When I play this, I'm look, I'm baking all I have on music. And it first it sounded stupid to everyone around me because they don't understand. But when you come from nothing, you roll in the dice. Bro, you going in and now it looks like I'm brilliant because my homies ain't working.
Speaker 1: And you are on this other thing you got.
Speaker 2: Correct, That's the beauty of being independent. Like I funded my own ship, Bro, can't nobody tell me stop? And quite frankly, like, okay, I'm in solidarity with the writers and actors and all that, but this gives me time to work on my own spec, my own movies, my own music, my own TV, my own.
Speaker 1: The show you're on, Is that the same show Joey Badass is on?
Speaker 2: Yes it is. That's my brother. We got a We got a record.
Speaker 1: Too, how about say to you guys, got to do a record.
Speaker 2: We got a whole we got a whole type of shit.
Speaker 1: He's a great actor.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, now he turned into a sex symble too. You know, he got tired of rude show.
Speaker 1: I was at the fucking mall buying Colone and I'll go to buy some cologne a little down and it's fucking Joey Badass modeling Colonne.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I can't wait till I get my on.
Speaker 1: Can look and then rap Homie isom.
Speaker 2: Debson had Calvin Klein. First thing I did was take a picture of and be like, look at joe goopa. I was so happy for him. And then you know, Joey got pak over Bond. You know, the Homies is really getting into these spaces. I'm like, I can't wait to get my on. I might be a little too rough though, but they they should look fly.
Speaker 1: Okay, You're part of the Power Universe, now, is there power the universe? Snowfall.
Speaker 2: What are we even talking about?
Speaker 1: Bro?
Speaker 2: Like, you don't want me to answer that question because look, first of all, I love fifth Fifth Fifth is a beautiful Just let me do my shit, bo don't let me get because look, I'm not scared of getting fired and that's why everybody, that's why I don't do podcasts, right, But I'm fucking with you, so I'm gonna tell you the truth. Fifty No, I love him and he's built something beautiful. He creates stars for sure. Movies don't create stars, right like TV creates stars, and fifty be doing that. So shout out to him. In my personal opinion, Power did something interesting internationally and something that was accessible for a large amount of people. But bar for bar, like what were talking about, Snowfall is a bar for bar. Snowfall is a different level. It's one of the Yeah, now, if you ask me Snowfall versus Raising Kanan, We're gonna have some conversations, okay, because Raising Kanan is top tier filmmaking, Like shout out to Sasha Pin is different over there, shout out to like my whole cast is like, look, look it's tough because amen daancing you know, Gail Bean, like they really go Isaiah, Like everybody over there go crazy, even they're co stars. Like, right, even who plays Dampson's mom is a legendary actors. Right, even the dude who played his dad is a legendary. But when I talk about Patina Miller, I love Dampson. Dampson is one of the best young actors. We have Patina Miller, Tony Award winning Miller, She's she might be one of the best. Win it's all said and done ever wow, and we and everybody around her, Haley Kilgore, Tony nominated cry in every.
Speaker 1: Episode some real ass them Tony's is them real acting? I'm just it's.
Speaker 2: Different, bro. And you know, we got then, we got Then we got London Brown, who's giving a cellar performance. Then we have Makay Curtis. I'm the youngest thing on our cast. Makai is murdering everyone in the Power Universe, respect to everybody else. Mackay is acting. When you look at him, you think he fifty crazy, that's a suburban kid and numb fifty about him? In real life, y'all hear him be like, that's fifty. It's different on that side. The texture, the clothing, Frank, who does our clothing is different, the texture is different. If you watch Bar for Bar, it's close. Power might have them with Raisin Kane. Raisin Kane, I think so.
Speaker 1: I be honestly, I am the most unhipped to the Power universe person alive.
Speaker 2: It's not your fault. I'm gonna tell you the truth.
Speaker 1: I just never got stars. I never have the streaming, and then I'm like a wire dude.
Speaker 2: Bro, I never watched Power until I was on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I never. In fact, I just I always like I started to watch season one.
Speaker 2: When you get into it, you're hooked.
Speaker 1: So I watched the first two episodes of the first season of Power and when the chick was like playing with herself on the.
Speaker 2: Back seat crazy, that's the first episode. Bro, I was just like, I was like, eh, imagine watching it.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I swear by the Wire. That's my favorite show.
Speaker 2: Ever because it's one of the best shows of all time.
Speaker 1: And then Snowfall just sucked me in, Bro, Paul, that shit was amazing.
Speaker 2: But if we're being real, like my mom was on the Wire is leaps and bounds better than snowballs.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the Wire is the best show ever.
Speaker 2: It's top tier.
Speaker 1: It's literally I think the Wire go ahead and then sopranos are breaking bad.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I would go, see, I don't see me, I go the Wire, and then I'd go I.
Speaker 1: Just think it's the Wire and everything else.
Speaker 2: I think that we have to we have to. Yeah, essentially, it's.
Speaker 1: Like everything else, it's the Wire and then everything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Rome was pretty great, though I ain't go was that wrong? Oh? You know, I never watched that was HBOT got hitters, bro, they got hit all of them.
Speaker 1: Man, HBO for whatever reason that whatever's in the water over there, Man, they don't fuck around when it comes to their shows.
Speaker 2: In the original Crazy No, it's crazy Homicide. Uh, the the original network show that the creators of The Wire created, which was Homicide Something, was actually one of the best shows on television for years and.
Speaker 1: I never watched it, but I heard about it.
Speaker 2: Was hard in West Wing Hard, you know, OZ was dope, Like, Yeah, they got hitters. Like, but if we really talking about it, Snowfall is really fun and it has great actors, you know, but when it comes to the Wire is different.
Speaker 1: So the thing about Snowfall is, let me know, because you went on the show at this time when the episode happens last season and they reback did with the episode where everybody was fucked up at the wedding. I loved that episode. But when the episode happens where they get locked up in the basement and there's a fucking was it a grizzly bear or a tiger something.
Speaker 2: That's when they lost me. When that happened, I was just like, Yeah, it went too far, but this is what happens. Look, I'm not gonna speak too heavy on that show because there's too many people I love and care about benefiting from that show. And until I'm as big as that show, I have nothing to say about that show but love.
Speaker 1: The writing guy. That was ridiculous.
Speaker 2: That was ridiculous, and everybody can agree that was ridiculous. So let's just leave it there because you never saw that, and.
Speaker 1: I like the way it ended. I thought it ended well. Season five was a nice which is hard to do for a television. Season four was tough, though. When that happened. I was just like, wait a.
Speaker 2: Minute, I'm gonna say no comment for her.
Speaker 1: There's a random white dude living in the hood with a fucking tiger in his fucking basement.
Speaker 2: Bro, no comment and they escaped. Listen. I think you are speaking for the people. Yeah, but I also don't want to make this a snowfall show.
Speaker 1: There's my wife, right, because my wife she loved that shit. But my wife like loves you know, she likes.
Speaker 2: Like But that's what I mean. It's like, nobody, bro, let's keep it a buck. Nobody watched The Wire when was first out, except for drug dealers who sold drugs and critics.
Speaker 1: It was like the nerdy show. To Wise, it's almost yes, succession.
Speaker 2: Right now, yes, and then years later, I feel.
Speaker 1: Like finally the general population are like getting hit to succession, where like the TV nerds have kind of been hit for like five years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're the early adopters. It's like knowing and The Wire was like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it had to end for people to be like, let me go back and get the DVD.
Speaker 2: It's the great American novel, right, It's the ship that everybody knows is great, but it's too long, so no nobody read it.
Speaker 1: It is like my favorite character in TV.
Speaker 2: And one of the best ever year and like, in my opinion, like yeah, and there's you know, like I said, I don't want to make this that show, but in real life, I think Snowfall did it.
Speaker 1: It was a great entertaining job.
Speaker 2: It was very entertaining. One of the most entertaining shows on television, hands down, and dance is one of the most times people and so is aiming there.
Speaker 1: How involved it's fifty and like the day to day like do you like here?
Speaker 2: He sets it up? He set it up. He was very involved day to day when we begin and get the show rolling. But then it's like, bro, I set it up. Y'all gotta do what you gotta do. And really, truly it becomes the mechanizations of everybody who and key positions behind the scenes, such as Saha show you know we got attashed?
Speaker 1: Has he listened to the music? Have you sent him any records?
Speaker 2: Oh, fifty, fifty know what's up? Fifty know what's up? But he like, you know, we're gonna see what's going on.
Speaker 1: That'd be crazy. You get fifty at least do a scared or something.
Speaker 2: I know, fifty my dog. But you know, bro, I'm not one who asked for handles. I'd rather the homies like when they peep it be like wait, I want to be a part of this. Yeah, that's better for me. I don't want no, you know, unless somebody said, because I feel like when you ask, you know, first of all, everybody's uncomfortable because like bro like, I'm sure a million people asking you. But if I show you what I'm doing and you fuck with it, then it's genuine. You fuck with it like you call it. Hey, this you do, you don't suck? Come on the show?
Speaker 1: Do you for you? Musically? Like obviously being around fifteen hundred or nothing in their start because they're legends. Yeah, Grammy Award winning producers, be Necesse, they was teenager, they got the school opens. Yeah, they're doing They're doing so much. Who would you say just not even necessarily somebody you know, but like sonically artists wise, would you say have the most influenced on your sound?
Speaker 2: Like probably Shade, they need a baker and like oddly enough bro Ch go to bars. Hey, Chico was a hoodie like certain people.
Speaker 1: I do believe go to bars. Yeah, is the son Diddy's son's real dad? Right? What one of Diddy's sons of whom one of Diddy's sons?
Speaker 2: Oh hell no, actual fathers, Chico to Bar, you're tripping. I think you're talking about Albi Shore.
Speaker 1: You might be right, and.
Speaker 2: I think you're talking about it's definitely a sure and Quins don't kill me. If I let you rock with that. Did to go to Albi Shore, then I'm tripping. But to Bar they both like skin.
Speaker 1: Look at me making my nineties light skin RBC, You're like.
Speaker 2: No, you're wrong, and this is and this is why they need a nigga like me and R and B because we can't let that.
Speaker 1: Chico to Bars need a Baker shot.
Speaker 2: If I could be the street shot or like the street shot, the ghetto tracy, that mean I'm good.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: Just be like Frank Gohien popping in every now and then they do great artists about That'd be awesome. That's what I would like to do.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like R and B is like, I feel like it's finally kind of getting into a really good space in terms of like you know, now when you turn on the radio, you'll hear like real R and B records like Coco Jones. I see you as a big record, Like there's tons of like records that money Long time.
Speaker 2: Leon Thomas like, come on, bro, let's be real. R and B always had a bunch of people. This is what happened. Everybody talks about Like, I know you were trying to avoid it, but like you know, everybody thought R and B needed resuscitation.
Speaker 1: I never thought that. I just think that it became kind of underground for a little bit.
Speaker 2: Well, underground just means it wasn't It wasn't the pretty girl at the ball, you know what.
Speaker 1: I mean, Like you're not When you and I were growing up, R and B was on the radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's not the pretty girl at the bar.
Speaker 1: It's coming around.
Speaker 2: It turned thirty years old and game little wait. But the reality is these young dudes, these young kids are finding creative ways to have very interesting conversations around that music. Like brit is an R and B artist, right, And it's when you hear Sounder and you hear those records, You've never heard an R and B record like that. You know, when you hear Leon Thomas go off, you're like, oh, that's that's like it's the Angelo, but it's not like it's something And these guys is really killing it. Man. There's a lot of competition and there's it's a lot of saturation because of these are love babies. They're romance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, obviously shouts to branch out to a scissor.
Speaker 2: Audum people and they're going crazy.
Speaker 1: Challenger got a dope record on the radio right now.
Speaker 2: I heard it's always been a great writer.
Speaker 1: I feel like we we lost the R.
Speaker 2: And B group because yeah, well what we lost what.
Speaker 1: Were just groups? In general? There's no more groups.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people don't like because the.
Speaker 1: Music industry sucks so much. He must have split up the.
Speaker 2: Power nobody because it doesn't make me sense.
Speaker 1: It's like where it happened to a Jagged Edge twenty three. There's no more jagget edgres. That's never Drew Hills none.
Speaker 2: That's never gonna happen. We gonna see singular artists for a long time because it just makes more financial sense.
Speaker 1: It does.
Speaker 2: One artist is a headache, and.
Speaker 1: You know what, it never it never actually works out, no, because there's always one one person in the group that's better than everyone else.
Speaker 2: Bro. I think that's just indicative of capitalism in human culture.
Speaker 1: Got to stop the interview to tell you about our family at Odds Socks. That's right, The most comfortable socks in the world. Ladies and gentlemen. Go to odd socksofficial dot com. Use the promo code bootleg keV or bootleg. Both promo codes work. You'll save twenty percent out of checkout. Twenty percent off. These are the odd socks basics. Right now you can get like a pack of all black, pack of all whites. Of course, they got all kind of crazy licenses wwe, Cheech and Chong, they got teenage mutant Ninja Turtles, they got SpongeBob SquarePants brouh. Look they got the SpongeBob SquarePants Krabby Patty Draws. Yeah. Now you don't want Crabs, but you do want mister Crabs underwear because these are fire. All right, So look, go to odd socksofficial dot com right now, use that promo code bootleg, save twenty percent off of checkout. And yeah, listen, trust me when I say most comfortable socks you ever put on your fucking feet and the most comfortable box of what are we talking about? Man? All right, oddsoksofficial dot com promo code bootleg save twenty percent off of checkout, great gift and just treat yourself all right. Also got a shout out to our family at King Palm. Now, if you guys don't know about King Pom, King Palm is all natural row baby, Yes, all right, we're talking about the leader when it comes to tobacco free, natural organic leaf wraps. If you're a smoker, a tote, or a straight West coaster, you know what I'm saying. Whatever, you're into King Palms, they got it for you. What's great about these these are like one of the best products that they sell. Now, this is a terping infused tobacco free leaf. And what's dope is you stuff your flour into it and then you press on the thingy, you know what I'm saying, and then you got flavor. I'm gonna show you what it looks like when it's stuffed with some great tree from Harden of course. Ah look at that right, Get that thing stuffed up. The tip has got that flavor in it. Wherever you're at, man, make sure you check out the You know they got the smoke shops, they got those on lock. They got seven eleven's on lock. We're only smoking out of King Poms. Baby. You already know what it is. And if you go to kingpoms dot com, kingpom dot com, kingpom dot Com, and you use the promo code bootleg keV, you will save fifty percent off at checkout half off at checkout, fifty percent off if you go to kingpom dot com and use that promo code. The promo code is down below. Go run it up. Try some of these flavors too, man, the peach, pineapple, the strawberry shortcake. They just got so much going on. There's also all kind of dope smoking accessories. You can get half off, y'all. What are we talking about? Save fifty percent off kingpom dot com promo code below. It's either bootleg or bootleg keV. These promo codes you got. My have had her try both of them, all right, one of them get you fifty percent off. God damn it. Anyway, let's get back to the interview. Like I mean, I think about it.
Speaker 2: That's just what it is.
Speaker 1: But right now we got Blue Bucks Clan. Who's a duo.
Speaker 2: They a duo, the niggasuntil I've seen two of them, niggas going crazy together.
Speaker 1: They're strong and I love them. I mean Shoreline Mafia broke up. Oh geez, goes solo and goes crazy.
Speaker 2: But you know why that happened, He SBRB, they broke up. Yeah, everybody breaking that. Fat boys break up now everybody they wake up. But the reality is bro that's it was destined to happen because, like everybody was taught, it's a cultural shift. Also, the kid first of all, R and B is a reflection of whatever the state of love is in the culture. The state of love is in jeopardy, so people are making impressions of love right. The music is that we're making now is what we what we wish, was what we used to think love was supposed to be. But that's why Brent Works says it works because it's what love looks like now, which isn't a fairy tale kind of It's not a fairy tale no more. It's what it is now. I think that the pendulum is going to swing to people desiring romance again. They gonna want those lush voices. They're gonna want the herd of the world to go crazy crazy, yeah crazy, But we're gonna start seeing more like I think vocalist again because there I think women want to fall in love again, and even me, I'm probably gonna lean more into like romantic records. But I can only make what I know. Right now, I'm dealing with trauma, so I'm talking about my pastory ship. I just happened to croon. You know, I'm not even really a singer. I'm a crooner. Like there's a difference. Yeah, it's a real difference, Like like if we being real, like.
Speaker 1: I feel like Roddy Rich is like a crooner, like.
Speaker 2: He Roddy Rich is is a nigga who talks in melody.
Speaker 3: And he's also one of the best, so he's like it's so hard. He's amazing, amazing, He's one of my favorite arists of all time. He's made legendary records. He's made legendary records.
Speaker 1: I always say, like even like I know a lot of people didn't like the second album, but I'm like, it's so hard for Roddy Rich to make bad music. It's it's like.
Speaker 2: But I think that's also part of the problem. Like your sophomore album after having that freshman of a debut.
Speaker 1: Is crazy to have that software And that was a weird timing too, because the box popped off December twenty, twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: But if we speak of the science. Right, The records that worked for Roddy were Southern records at first, until Muster and him had this song, So he was making Southern music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's making Southern music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's making Southern music until until Mustard did.
Speaker 1: You're from La, Because I do feel like if you think of the artists who have transcended outside of being West Coast.
Speaker 2: Artists, right, yeah, they don't make West Coast music, they don't make West coast.
Speaker 1: If we're talking about Hendrick, you think a school boy Q. You think of time he.
Speaker 2: Was accepted on the East coast first, r Tyler was accepted by white kids and mid La Marck.
Speaker 1: Q was doing records with Asaf Rocky Keydrick's Kendrick.
Speaker 2: Look at their concerts at first, they'll tell you they're like, I'm sure that.
Speaker 1: Tony Rich doesn't make traditionally West.
Speaker 2: Coast no bro, because if you want to break out, it is like, first of all, even YG's first real record was a Southern record. My hit a Southern record, literally by your boy was a West Coast hitter, but it was a West call. I was in high school, but my hit had changed shit, and that wasn't if we being real, Yes, it's his record, but in real life, we know whose record that is. And by the way, that's no disrespect. YG built that ground.
Speaker 1: For sure, and my Crazy Life is a classic. And he's sleeping with Sweetie right now, so he's winning.
Speaker 2: Well, let's let's not talk about it. Why are we doing it just because I got to see these people I don't want to know. Don't put me in nobody, Benness Kid, well, look you know Crazy Life for real. Hey, look shout out to shout out to your boy doing this thing. All I can say is that we all know that for you to break out, just like for rappers to be the biggest rappers on the game, for you to be top of the game, you have to make R and B songs for girls. We all know that. Every top that's it, that's the blueprint. It's not a question. The only way that Hove sees the top of the charts is making a song with a female demographic song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think back in the day that might have been I think before the Street, because now they're streaming artists who who don't do that, don't depend on radio like you had before. You really kind of had to have something to appeal to women for video correct. But now it's like if you just have a fan base and like you're someone like Dirk, yeah, you could just put out Well, let's tons of crazy records.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about stream let's talk about it. That's keears A and B. What is the record that when he was moving the streets that women was like, oh I can listen to Dirk. It was Homebody?
Speaker 1: What about what's the what's the female Little Baby record?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: You started off as close friends, we could go look at the number.
Speaker 1: You're right, You're right close friends all the way.
Speaker 2: First of all, what is the hottest the second, if not the hottest record off of the new record is.
Speaker 1: Friday? Friday so hard? His voice is crazy.
Speaker 2: He's the like I think everybody is like ailiation. Like, by the way, I love Friday. He's amazing voices. It's so dramatic. He's basically give on in the weekend put together. Yeah, everything just sounds.
Speaker 1: You put on that calid record. He sounds crazy.
Speaker 2: Bo Friday is my favorite artist. Like when he dropped his mixtape, I was like, Bro, I need that.
Speaker 1: I his voice is crazy.
Speaker 2: No, and by the way, my bad on comparison, I know new artists. That's that's his tone. Whatever he's doing is the thing that he deserves to do. I just think that stuff like that stands out. But once again, I don't think you can avoid I think I'm going to be proven to be right that even though the landscape has changed, because you can have a niche market due to streaming if you want to win, if you want, if one ring to rule them almost the world of ring. Shit, God, you got to talk to the females because human even Roddy.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, Roddy, things changed for him when he.
Speaker 2: That must the record went crazy.
Speaker 1: So for you, because we've seen it work with artists that might be known for something else, like Mac Wilde's is a great examples, you.
Speaker 2: Know Tristan, Yeah, that's my dog. My first Grammy nomination was on his album.
Speaker 1: Was there for you?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Are you noticing at least like you kind of it's a little harder for you to earn people's respect as an artists because they perceive you as an actor.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I don't care because I was a street nigga first, right, So like my respect doesn't come from and Tristan is a project baby first, Like people don't know that, Like, he just likes R and B music, so he does R and B shit, and he got an R and B voice. He can really sing, so that's what he liked. But if we're talking about how the market wants to receive you, of course they're gonna they want to see you how they want to see you. And I've been blessed enough and lucky enough to the kind of music that I think I'm making might be easier to digest with the people who watch me on screen because I'm talking about past situations.
Speaker 1: That are not too far away from the stuff.
Speaker 2: From the stuff that I kind of am in the world of Now, if I go make a pop record and I'm making records like like like, what's the face you just mentioned her? The one who who had that big record, the female artist that came out of nowhere, songwriter, what's her name? You just said a record? What's her name? She just had a big record, songwriter the hours, oh money Long. Remember she had that super poppy record that came out right after right, Like right, But that's not But if I did that, maybe my audience is that's not who following me, right, now right.
Speaker 1: That people who are following you, you're making them type of music that they might be like, oh shit.
Speaker 2: It's kind of hard, like this may not because all I gotta do, really, bro, I look at everything as an opportunity, so like, all I gotta do is not suck. If I don't suck, people will be like, even if they want to hate, they're like, okay, oh like this all like that. I'm like, but if I keep going and it keeps working, it at some point, bro, you're gonna have to at least respect the grind.
Speaker 1: And you know what's crazy is like when you used to watch movies as like, like when I was a kid and you were probably were probably similar in age. The guys who would be like rapping on the movies or on the shows would also have music in the soundtrack.
Speaker 2: That's a fact almost all all the time.
Speaker 1: So you can get like, like the above, the.
Speaker 2: Rim soundtrack was hard.
Speaker 1: The soundtrack were crazy. It'd always be like, oh, the guy in the movie's got a song on the fucking soundtrack.
Speaker 2: That's act.
Speaker 1: So are you well, I mean, everyone's out of work, but like, obviously you're killing it in the TV game. Are you actively like is the how different is the movie hustle and the TV hustle.
Speaker 2: The difference is, well, that's the thing is even the writers strike is about more so TV writers pay in TV writers' rooms and how they're being kind of like finessed out of a bag because of these predatory practices. The movie dudes are kind of like, we ain't tripping. We ain't tripping unless it say like you know what I'm saying official telligence, like we're good and but that's not really but we're all in solidarity. I'm just telling you the truth. Like, so when I talk to because I got people like who are executives, who are film executives? TV executives, I'll talk to everybody, and people fuck with me, so I'll talk to them. I'd be like, what's the real you know, and everybody's kind of like, well, we're just waiting to see how it plays out. Movies, is you right aspect? You know, you could get hired on assignment to write a spect there's less steps than in the TV deal. When you do TV show, you gotta do. You got to do a blueprint before you get to the treatment, before you even get to the pilot, there's like five steps and they get to parcel out the money a little bit more. And also you're not getting paid as much unless you're popping so movies, I started off writing movies, you know, like UJ City.
Speaker 1: Too movie, because there's a budget already.
Speaker 2: They are this is development here, Hey, look like here, here's here's a certain amount of money and to develop. Now you still have steps. You still have to do a first draft, second draft, rewrite. They're old that they don't even have to pay you for the second steps if they don't want to, if they don't feel like you're doing what you're supposed to do, they'll just give it to another writer. You'll get second credit, and you don't get as much money on the royalties of backing. And that's if you get blessed enough to have a movie get made. But with TV writers, they kind of, I think they hope, they kind of string you on a little bit more, and the money is parceled out a little bit longer, and it's more of a grind. It's more of a blue collar work. And so that's why it's kind of like that, it's.
Speaker 1: More of a thing. Every week you're in writer's room.
Speaker 2: And it's the same thing with the acting with an acting contract unless you're on well, I guess network isn't dead, but network is not the primary thing anymore. It's streamings like Netflix. You know you used to be you could be there. They're the most If you ever looked at the highest paid actors, it would always be like five people off in cis six like.
Speaker 1: Right Earth Friends or something right, it'd be something crazy on the six some hit TV show right because they're doing twenty two episodes and each episode are getting paid a hundreds and six hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: You know it's but you're doing so many episodes and then you do TV. TV is just instead of eight months out your year, excuse me, TV is like you're doing eight months out the year, six months out the year to shoot something. But for a movie maybe you're doing three to six or maybe two.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then also, like if you think about Netflix, you're like, for every Stranger Things, there's like one hundred other shows that aren't on that level and they just two seasons.
Speaker 2: And they just throwing bread. They trying to see what they're going off algorithm and shit, and that's cool. But for me, as it relates to me as a person who's trying to create, it's the same solution. All of these pieces can change. Bro. This is all just distractions for me, because at the end of the day, Bro, it's the name of the game of what you're doing. Right here, you work at an institution and you know that your leverage is limited there, just like head New, my leverage is limited there.
Speaker 1: I don't work there anymore, all right? They run my show, said, they syndicate my show, but I record my show at the crib.
Speaker 2: Here, And what does that mean? You pay for it?
Speaker 1: Right because the simple conversation put up, I put up the risk, and then the show. They just picked up my show. So I'm on it all these markets and I don't work for nobody.
Speaker 2: So when you ask me what's the difference, I'd say the only difference for me is what my mom and my daddy told what my mom and my daddy told me, which is, hey, look, if you pay for it, you own it. You can tell people what to do next.
Speaker 1: Curious from your perspective, from somebody who's done so much in the entertainment industry, what would be your advice for somebody who maybe has a good idea or maybe has put together like a great idea for a pilot or like a concept for a TV show, but they have zero relationships in the industry. What would be your advice to somebody like that, how to break in, how to get their script in the right hands, how to try to get some sort of movement in an industry that to me, it's just even living here. The movie industry, the TV industry, it feels unpenetratable. And I'm sure a lot of people feel that way about the music industry.
Speaker 2: It's the same thing everything, It's all the same shit. The only difference is that, like there's more miracles in music, there's more happy accidents in music because the threshold to entry, the barrier the entry is a little love.
Speaker 1: It's a lot easier to go straight to the marketplace.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you could just like record in your bedroom SoundCloud and you're amazing, You're up. But with movies, it costs so much more to have a product that can compete with the other products that are on the assembly. So what I would say is this, first of all, the simple thing is what you're doing.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: It's like same thing that was told to me that I knew to do just like, go make your own shit, collaborate with people who are your superior, who are your peer group, and keep to bettering your craft, and invest in yourself and keep it manageable so that you're not encroaching them on your personal life. If you have responsibilities. If you don't have responsibilities, roll the fucking dice while you go in. If you do have responsibilities, please do not like unless you are unless you like Selena Daddy and you like fuck it, and you got a partner this with you like you know, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't someone their own pilot, right they do with that? Will they put it on YouTube? Would they shop it around with an agent?
Speaker 2: You could do that? That may work. I think that it's a low likelihood. I would say, take the same money that you would spend on a sixty page pilot, which is going to be you know, let's say how much money you would spend on that, and spend that same amount of money on a three to six or seven minutes short. They can display your idea or the fraction of your ideas, so that you can go get other people to invest what you need to go do what they need to do for people just need to see the idea look cool and work.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of like getting a record deal. You have to find a production company that believes in the idea to bankroll how it should be done, or.
Speaker 2: You bankrolled it. Like I've found out what a lot of artists even quicker than them. Like I heard that they was recording in their basement and then they took their little demo type to whomever, and the person was like, Okay, this is something, We'll put more money in it because it looks like it may work. I'll invest equity with you. Same thing me and my team doing so it's all the same, bro. It's business is business. If you invest in your own shit, when it works, you get all the funds, but you also got to take the risk of falling on your ass. I don't advise people because I don't know their personal situations. All I can say is, if you want to do it, this is how you go about it. You got to bank on yourself, and you got to work with people who are both slightly above you and near you so that you can both improve and keep and keep your your community going.
Speaker 1: That's dope. June twenty third, Your EP is coming.
Speaker 2: Street Journal Volume one got some cool features on it also got some dope music. Sticks and Stones is out right now, that's making motion. We on like three or four.
Speaker 1: Music video two?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah today for both of them songs.
Speaker 1: Your music video has gotta be crazy, right, Oh.
Speaker 2: You gonna see it. We get a part of years, it's gonna go crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anything else you have on the way obviously outside of music, I mean, I'm sure or Strike is kind of putting up a bit of a well.
Speaker 2: Listen, we still got the third season of Raisin Kanan coming out.
Speaker 1: It's already done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've been done that. We right what you ya now? Next summer, we don't know what's going on. I think that's coming out in the fall or something like that. They pushed it back. Don't quote me, but yeah, it's just be for right now.
Speaker 1: Anything else in the can that you filmed, it's on the way.
Speaker 2: Oh them season two, I wrote on I wrote on Them season two, So that's coming. But I would still say the music right now is gonna save everybody life. I can go take care of my family. So do that. Go listen to streams, go streaming all that.
Speaker 1: Uh, and of course go check out the freestyle wor recorded too, except for YouTube.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's gonna be it, all right, man, I appreciate you for making me. Thanks for making me wrap care. Appreciate you. You're welcome, because now I'm gonna be rapping.
Speaker 1: The just keep crooning. Appreciate you pulling up man, all right, Yes, sir, with you. Hey, appreciate y'all watching that. Another interview brought to you by our good folks at Hard Dean. Now listen, y'all, when you're in Las Vegas, you get in that fucking uber, you land at the airport, hit that taxi, tell them to take you to Hard Dean, the number one premium cannabis dispensary in the fucking world.
Speaker 2: Y'all.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you. You walk in, they treat you like a king or a queen or whatever you're into, all right. They got the craziest selection of premium cannabis you'll see a period anywhere. Let alone in Las Vegas, but just anywhere, all right. Not only can you go get the best tree, you will get the best experience, the best customer service, the best bud tenders. You walk into Hard Dean and that shit just smells amazing. They got their own fucking scent. Literally, you get into my car, I got a bottle of it. My car smells like Hard Dean because it's just the best fucking place. Go follow them online. Hardan Underscore Las Vegas. Hardan Underscore Las Vegas. Go to their website, Hardeanlasvegas dot com. All right, when you go, you're in Vegas, you pull up, tell them I sent you. They're gonna take care of you the right way. All right. Look they got these things in there, man, these moon Rock pre roles that I just had that just absolutely melted my face off. Shout out to hard Dean. All Right, you gotta go fuck with hard Dean man. Hardean Underscore Las Vegas. Thank y'all. Man, I love these guys. They're like family to us. And hey, we're gonna drop another interview soon. If you're watching this, you're at the end of the interview. Though. Much love