Speaker 1: Call It what It Is with Jessica Capshaw and Camil Luddington and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: Well, Hello, Hello, Hello, Hello, call It crew, and welcome to another episode of Short and Sweet.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 2: Jessica's back in New York. But we just saw each other. We are both in Los Angeles together and I at l in real life.
Speaker 1: And we had a little jingle bowl jingle Bowl jingle Ball jingled our Balls jingle ball party this weekend and as so much saw and apparently everyone is seeing because we can tell the views on our social Kyler, You're with Kyler.
Speaker 4: Kyler Lee, Lexi Gray. It was so cool. I mean, first of all, let's start at the beginning. It's always fun to I mean, it's I always love seeing you. But uh, you know, we don't get we don't often get to get ready together. And we were like college dorm style getting ready together.
Speaker 5: Yeah we did.
Speaker 4: Together and have people doing our hair and makeup, but yeah, we got to get ready together. It was like a clown car. You invited more people in me. There's a lot of people in that room.
Speaker 5: I have lots of people in that room. She has an hoge. It was I have a lot of fans what am I going to tell you? They got to see you got Yeah, they got to come in the room.
Speaker 4: And then she shared her location.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we turned it right on.
Speaker 2: And and then can we talk about what we did after dingle ball? We threw off our shoes. I walked around that ball and slippers that I got from the gifting.
Speaker 4: See, couldn't get those shoes off her feet quick enough.
Speaker 2: But I got to tell you my favorite part of the whole night. Oh, I know it was no offense to anybody, but I got to go home and do well. Got to go to Jessica's La pad and have a family pad and have a sleepover.
Speaker 4: We got a little sleepover, I know. And we were we were again dormstyle, straight into the jimmies, kicked off the shoes, kicked off the shoes down.
Speaker 5: Yeah, bro, we and the solved world problems.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we did. We did well. And then here's the other cool part about seeing Kyler and being in real life. We got to be with all these people that we that we work with on the show and and in other parts of our life. And one of them was Kyle. And I don't know if you notice what's going on on the socials, but all those things that are cut together and all those sounds and audios and all those funny little things they get me to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we forced her to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's Kyle and he got to be there in person. And after we interviewed Kyler, yeah, he we literally shut off the mics and he said, I've got it, I've got the audio.
Speaker 5: I know what we're gonna do.
Speaker 4: And we were like, whatever you want, Yes, let's go. What do we do?
Speaker 2: We did our little wicked. We did a little wicked. It's the right time of year, at the right time with Kyla for a reveal. Yeah, we should talk about Kyle a little bit. He's because here's here's what happened.
Speaker 5: A couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: I realized that I was not on my social media game at all, and that people around me started to be. And I realized that my little cute selfie with five filters on it wasn't cutting it like Instagram was rejecting that the algorithm was like new, and so I really hot.
Speaker 4: We don't want to picture dinner.
Speaker 2: We didn't want a picture of my yeah, my mac and cheese, And so I interviewed a lot of people and it's a real collaborative thing. It has to you have to have good chemistry with someone that like is your social media manager, and Kyle is the best. He's now are he works for both me and Jess or I just warnt to say four he works with us because it's like us together and he's just he comes up with the best stuff. So we do have to shout out to Kyle. Maybe we have to have him on the pot at some point to talk about because you want to know how.
Speaker 4: To how yeah, how the how it's made?
Speaker 5: How did yeah, how the sausages made it off?
Speaker 4: So you know, I met him for the first time. There was a real trust between he and I quickly because the first time I ever met him was when you enlisted me to do the Barbie video when I was back at Grays and you know, you you threw some roller skates on my feet pretty quick in and you know we had a short lunch break, so there's a steep learning curve.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and what we and those were Amazon Prime Direct and they did not fit was really a ten.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And he he had a dual job of filming and catching me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, both of us. That's why there's there.
Speaker 2: We did a little we did add a little blooper reel where we're just screaming.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, well I'm tripping, I'm tripping. We cut out a couple of parts of me tripping, so there's more. Yeah, No, it was. It was really, it was so much fun to be together. And I just love Kyle and he's so he's also just so here's I don't know who needs to hear this when you can and you get to have a say in it, you should only work with people who are kind.
Speaker 5: Like, kindness goes such a long way.
Speaker 4: So if you're actually really great at your job but you're not so nice, it's no, it's not great. I do. I would challenge anyone who says it doesn't compromise the work product. I think work products are better when they're made with people that are kind. So Kyle is also just a really kind guy.
Speaker 2: Well, let me bring this back to Kyler on that note, because I said to her, and I said this in the interview, I was like, truly, I'm not bullshiting this at all. Kyler when I started the show was one of the first people.
Speaker 5: That everyone was like, damn, you just missed her. She is amazing you would have.
Speaker 2: She's incredible to work with, kind, talented, all the things. So it was so nice to get to say that to her for the first time in real life and be like, just so you know, your reputation is incredible. And for me to see Kyler in real life. By the way, I realized that I truly am still like a grazz ANATOI you can't love me.
Speaker 5: I realize I'm still such a.
Speaker 2: Graz's Anatomy fan because I was like, here she is in the flash, Like I had that moment you know when you watch some one TV and you're like, oh my god, this is them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like how you feel about being with me?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, the novelty is worn off?
Speaker 4: Aren't those all the things that you heard about me when when you first came to work on Grays And then I.
Speaker 5: Heard story White from her. She's crying. Don't look her directly in the eyes.
Speaker 4: I'm glad that Kyler also was able to defend me in person.
Speaker 5: Oh God, let's go to what we're.
Speaker 4: Here for today? How yeah?
Speaker 5: For short and sweet?
Speaker 4: Okay, this is another one of my favorite things to do, and I love the cadence with which we do it. We get to throw it out to the crew and say, what do you want to know about raise? What's the Q and A? Give us some Q and A. You give us a question, We'll give you an answer. So let's get it started.
Speaker 2: We do love these, Okay, you start with Ozzie. Ozzie says, if a scene gets a little too intense, what was your guys's way of comfort and telling yourself that it was just a scene and not a real feeling, especially if you're good friends with the others in that scene. Does it have a way of getting to you or is it easy to move on after it's finished. I think we can always and I'm going to speak for both of us, but I'm assuming this is the answer for you too. We can first of all, separate, I can separate that that's not the person between takes, you know, like I know that, like I'm not still angry at that person. It can get intense. We've done intense scenes. I mean that shower scene between you and Cali.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, yeah, that was that was that was that was intense that whole that season, like that season was oh my real gosh, Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was really intense. Yeah, I was just I was thinking about that question as you were asking it, and I think that I don't know, the lines get blurry when you're in the feeling because you have because in success, you are feeling the feeling. It's a fabricated feeling, but you're feeling it. Yeah, And I think that the more intense that it gets, there for me, there was always just a moment after where you kind of like like if you're in a really intense fight scene, you don't finish the scene, they call cut and then you look at the person and say like, Okay, so what do you think? And you kind of have to go to your corners for a second, like you're you're you're intense, You're intense, You're intense, and then you just there's a come down, I think, is what I mean to say, where you just sort of have a moment to transition back into not your not your real self because you never left, but just like a transition that I think you just end up happening in between scenes.
Speaker 5: I think also that you.
Speaker 2: I definitely have had this, like even and I have this with Chris right now because they're fighting on the show.
Speaker 5: I'm like, I don't want to fight with you today. I don't feel like fighting with you today.
Speaker 4: I love you, you know.
Speaker 2: So I think that there is that like, oh god, we've got to get really into it today.
Speaker 5: That's tough. But it makes also like the really fun scenes and cute scenes.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 2: We always get to play those again at some point. So you know that there's like a light at the end of the tunnel of that storyline.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, worth mentioning because it just popped into my head. I remember I was doing a play in New York and it had a there were two casts. It started with Carrie Russell in the part that I ended up playing, and then it transitioned over to me, and there was a scene and I watched it with her in it for quite a few performances because I was learning the play, and then and then I was playing the part, and there was a scene where this character just absolutely loses her ever loving, like.
Speaker 5: Just screaming for a.
Speaker 4: Good long like it was a Neil Abut play and it was maybe like a page of just watriol being spewed. And I have to say it was a period of a time I've never felt so zen as a human, Like there was something about this just huge release of anger that happened every day.
Speaker 5: Scream therapy. We talked one day scream therapy.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and we had one day off and and and you know, wow, Yeah, it was just it was pretty amazing. I was very very cool.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. Maybe we need to scream more on set. Yeah, yeah, maybe we do.
Speaker 4: Jenny wrote in and she said, I absolutely love the podcast. Thank you. And my question would be, do you think Ray's Anatomy could take place in another city or do you think it was meant to be in Seattle? I think Seattle. Maybe it's just because the space needle is so married to the visuals that I associate, but I do think Seattle's sort of a perfect place for it.
Speaker 2: Yes, I agree, And I think there's something moody about Seattle because it is raining. Yeah, we have drama in Rome, you know, like it, Like there's the moodiness of it, there's this seasons of it. If it's in California's so bright and sunny every time you're outside.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that it just adds to oh, the angst of the show.
Speaker 2: And also like I associate it too with it, like like that fairy ship ride, Yeah, became.
Speaker 5: So iconic and part of the show. Like, I don't know how you.
Speaker 2: Would do that necessarily in other cities. I mean, I guess you could do it in Manhattan, but like the Seattle's woven into the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so too.
Speaker 5: A good question. I've never been asked that. This is why I love their Q and as love it.
Speaker 2: Poppy as a fellow Britt. Is there anything Camilla misses about the UK? A certain snack store brand.
Speaker 5: I do miss that.
Speaker 4: I miss.
Speaker 5: I feel like PG Tips is not exactly the same here. Really, I was just that was what I was gonna ask.
Speaker 2: It's my cup of tea and I'm sometimes they're hard to find Nelson's house, but they are hard to find and I'm out of them right now, and I really missed him. So I would say PG Tips and or fish and chips wrapped in the newspaper and our Indian food.
Speaker 5: I have to say, oh, that's what I miss.
Speaker 4: Yep, I went on a date with a guy to a really famous Indian restaurant in London. It was a first date, not a great first date place because he got real sweaty, he.
Speaker 3: Got very I was gonna say, like, yeah, yeah, think about that, Yeah, you order the wrong food.
Speaker 5: You're sweating all over someone. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And he was a famous act, like really famous, and I and I was not famous at all, and so people kept looking at him, poor guys. Wedding after Yeah, I'll tell you, Jamie said, Hi, what's y'all's favorite era or performance during the Eras tour? Okay, I, well, this is where we get into the part where I am lucky enough and at least I know it. You're in the to now, I'm in the twins. I am, I am, and I know all the moves. I've been four times and it's over. Last night was the last night I know. Well, it marked my calendar. There's something so you know, bitter about it. Every time I've gone it's been different, I really have. I think I've gotten very into the lover I've gotten. When I saw the first tortured poets, I loved that. I you know what this last time, I really I'm so bizarre. Poppy and I my daughter Pappy and I said the same thing. For some reason, shake it off was on fire. I mean it was real. It was so much fun.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I love I. Mine's very clear when when there's that break. Because there's a break for a while, I feel like I feel like they tease it out and then the snake starts to appear.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, you know, the reputations up. I'm like, that's yeah, yeah, yeah, yah.
Speaker 4: Yah, yeah, I know, yeah it is is.
Speaker 5: It's a moment. Maddie.
Speaker 2: How did either of you keep it together during the pot cookie episode or any other funny episode like this, especially with Chandra and Kelly, Kelly going on about cheese, how to be almost spinning out my drink.
Speaker 4: That's my favorite episode. So everyone was so good, funny, it's weird. I had some personal stuff going on when we when we did that episode, and I remember being like, whoa talk about, you know, dividing your personal life from your professional life. I never feel like sort of upside down in my own feelings about my own life and then coming to work and doing all these things and being like, oh, it's upside down everywhere. It's side down on the show, it's upsi down in life.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: My favorite The part I remember about that episode is Meredith and Joe are sitting with Arizona, and Arizona is surprised that there's weed in the cookies, even though she has just disclosed it to everybody, but she also everybody yes, and for some reason that moment, in fact, I think they said like raise your hand? Did you written not raise your hand? And then we're like you ate, like it almost seemed like you.
Speaker 4: I remember being that she comes into the room to tell us, like to say, oh my gosh, you guys, there was there we plot in those cookies, and I remember if you being like part it was, yeah. The part that was funny was that I was like, oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I was like, you told us no.
Speaker 2: But I also feel like maybe I'm I'm remembering this wrong too, where they like said to everybody, raise your hand if you like had had a and you didn't raise your hand.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah yeah, I think yeah, I think that's fine.
Speaker 5: I don't know. But anyway, that episode was the truth is that we laugh.
Speaker 2: The simple truth is we laugh and we have to go again, and we all feel guilty for the crew because they means they're gonna have to stay a little bit longer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sometimes they find it entertaining, and sometimes they're like, no, it's not funny.
Speaker 5: We're get off it please.
Speaker 4: Gabby asked, is there any piece of advice given to your character in the show that you then applied to your own life.
Speaker 2: Get therapy. Mine's real simple. Joe got it and I needed some more.
Speaker 4: I don't remember any advice being given to my character. I remember that moment towards the end of the Most Beautiful send Off, I do think was Sandra O's and I remember her talking to Meredith and what was the line where she said to the sun. Yeah, And I remember thinking it wasn't even about like male or female or masculine or feminine or or anything. It was just like it was this moment of like, you're the leading lady in your own life, your your your It doesn't make you more important, It just.
Speaker 2: Knowing your worthy, but it's knowing your worth. He may be very dreamy, yeah, but oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember that was I just felt like, not like it was advice, it was just a recognition that I thought that.
Speaker 5: It was very powerful, very iconic.
Speaker 2: So you see, how do they portray Arizona being legless when Jessica isn't.
Speaker 5: Can you explain how they do it?
Speaker 4: It was so hard. It was so hard. Yeah, it was so hard to to because we had to hide something that was there and I remember in the very beginning when when the story was revealed, I remember thinking what a great amount of pressure it was going to be to get it right. And and again because you know, we were going to have to we were gonna have to figure it out right, like how she you know, how how you portrayed this when this wasn't the case.
Speaker 2: Wait, I want you to address something because this got made fun of online recently. I think that you should address it. And I think that you.
Speaker 5: Should call it what it is because there was a.
Speaker 4: Reason for this.
Speaker 2: Someone there was a picture of you as Arizona and you're in maybe a skirt and you're in heels.
Speaker 5: And someone's like, wow, she's in heels, Like whare you to go?
Speaker 2: She something grew her leg back, and there was a whole storyline about it.
Speaker 5: And I feel like you should clear up there is what they said.
Speaker 4: I get I get the I get the the critique. I die, I really do. I get it right, And especially if you haven't watched you know what every single one of the five trillion episodes of Gray's Anatomy, but there was an entire episode dedicated to Arizona. I think, on some level, reclaiming something for herself by getting her high heel leg. And I remember it being this moment of like it was a flesh colored leg and it could fit into a high heel. And you know, Gras does such an incredible job of giving actors access to people who have been in real life circumstances that are similar to your characters. And so I actually remember there was a woman who came and that was her circumstance, and I got to ask her all the questions about when she got her high heel leg and what it felt like and all that. I mean, listen, I get the critique because you did see my leg, right, I mean it ideally it looked like the leg that would be I but it's hard, right, I mean, I get it.
Speaker 2: But in defense of the show, we're educating. I did not know that that existed. Sort of prosthetic existed, and in defense of the show, and it was a way to educate, like, hey, look look what how far we've come where you can.
Speaker 5: Have your high heel leg.
Speaker 2: You know, Like I just I think that you should address it because it kind of bugged me when I saw it.
Speaker 4: I liked the host, I know. The only thing I could say is we were doing our best. That's what I think the only way.
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't bet.
Speaker 4: I never feel like I want to defend things. It's more like you just want to say like you're doing your best. And it was, you know, I think everybody involved wanted to show up for for for all in the best and most authentic way. But given the circumstance, you know, it was challenging. Okay, it was challenging. Okay, Paula, what patient case did you find the most interesting or stick with you the most?
Speaker 5: Do?
Speaker 2: I do have to say that Joe performed a dnc so an abortion on the show that and we did it step by step and we talked through it, and I thought it was a very important storyline, especially right now. Yeah, okay, Ruby, what's your favorite thing to do on set in between filming?
Speaker 4: Snacks? Snacks? You know what?
Speaker 5: I just love chatting with everybody?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, just conversation. You know, it's such an amazing cross section of people, right, I mean, you have on a set, it's pretty incredible because in order to do it, you have to have this wild mix of people who are in technical jobs, creative jobs, creatively technical jobs, people who are you there too, with one lens on, and it's looking at how your hair is, like, what's going on with your hair? Yeah, And another person is only thinking about whether or not you're in focus. Another person is making sure that you know all your words. So we just get an incredible cross section of people, and I find everyone so interesting, and so when we do get into conversation, I just love that we have so many different perspectives in the conversation.
Speaker 2: And we're seeing each other all the time. Like, my kids were just sick last week, and it's like, you know, I'm going into work and I was actually just really upset because I was overwhelmed by one of them, by them being sick, and.
Speaker 5: And just to be like, hey, guys, I'm feeling this way.
Speaker 2: And actually I walked away from set that day feeling so much better because I had so many people able that I was able to chat with, and just it was I don't know, yeah, that's my favorite thing to do.
Speaker 4: Robert asked, are your kids interested in seeing you both on screen or do they not care? Do they think your professions are cool? Uh? Yeah, yeah, yeah, mine are. They're a little annoyed because they feel like I don't do things that they can see, like some of the things I do are a little bit more little racier, although they've now caught up to Grey's Anatomy. I almost did this show that Luke is a big fan of on Netflix, and then when I didn't do it, he was super disappointed. And I was super disappointed because I actually was like, oh, I would have had a little street cred if I'd done that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I Lucas says, no idea what I do. In fact, I asked him the other day, I'm like, do you know what mommy's job is?
Speaker 5: He's like, she doesn't have a job, got it?
Speaker 2: And then Hayden is just now understanding. She knows I'm a doctor. She hasn't really seen much of me on TV. Again, I have to wait until she's older, But I think she thinks it's cool because you know, people approach us and they're so so nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so she she.
Speaker 2: Likes that part of it. She's like, oh, they like your show and they you know, that's kind of cool. But otherwise you know, she doesn't really care. Okay, Yeah, last one, Angela, do either of you ever watch the TikTok Edits fan make fans make of you. I've always wondered if you see them. I've don't see.
Speaker 5: A lot of them. I think I'm more yeah, on TikTok, the edits, I'm more. I don't go.
Speaker 2: I definitely don't go searching for them. And sometimes I'm afraid because I'm like, what if they're.
Speaker 5: Like Mimi butts? What if they're mean edits?
Speaker 2: You know, it's like, look a, there's like a fucking reel of my double chin, and it's like, do I need to see it?
Speaker 5: You know, you never know what's going to be home there. It's a risk.
Speaker 4: Well well, well well I.
Speaker 5: Do do you? Those are so cute?
Speaker 4: I do see them, but you know what, it's actually not the TikTok. It's more like the Instagram. I think I feel like those get true, those get served up more right, Yes.
Speaker 2: When we when I get tagged in like a cute sometimes an episode and it'll be like cute, it'll be you know, they put together like ten years worth of like Joe Wilson.
Speaker 5: Relationship, and that's cute.
Speaker 4: I've seen that.
Speaker 5: But do I go on TikTok and like, no, I know certain I.
Speaker 4: Can't, but I do, and I do watch them and I do think they're very cute, and I I think a lot of work must have gone into them. And I also feel like I feel about everything that's edited down to, you know, being a little sizzle real.
Speaker 5: They make you feel happy, You're.
Speaker 2: Like, oh my gosh, us yes, but then I started to go, Wow, that hair was terrible.
Speaker 5: I'm like, why did I pull it back like that?
Speaker 4: Oh well, that's inevitable and we've already talked about that.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: All right, keep them coming, you guys, we're gonna continue this forever and ever.
Speaker 5: All these q and a's.
Speaker 2: We'd love these questions because seriously, we I feel like when we do interviews, I'm just being real. We get asked very similar things a lot, and the call it crewe.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they come in with some good ones.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well thank you for that.
Speaker 5: All Right, Well let's call it the end of the episode.