Speaker 1: Hi, everybody, Welcome to the Rainy Stubs Tennis Podcast. We got a lot to get to, Caitlin, and I know it's mid tournament. I just want to give a shout out before you say anything to Claire Balding, who of course is the BBC host, and who told me last week that she listens to the podcast and she was expecting one out asap, and I said, well, let me just get on that for you. So Claire, this is for you. This is dedicated to you, this one. But Caitlin, WHOA, We've got a lot of tennis to talk about.
Speaker 2: I don't even know where to start. I've been watching so much tennis. I am bowled over at the match I just watched, which probably isn't the best place to start, but I might just make us start here because I can't wait to talk about it, which was the name Osaka Rune Sabalanca match. The one seed is now out and the tournament is wide open, and Osaka, with an incredibly positive fit expressive appearance not only here on the grass but leading up to it on the clay, is now a natural surfaces expert. I mean it, tennis is amazing because two years ago you know, we would have said there's no way Namio Osaka gets to the second week of a Slam on a natural surface, and here she is looking incredibly confident, incredibly happy and just absolute unshakable. And I have to say at this point she might be my favorite to win the tournament. So what a turn of events this has had. And there's tons and tons and tons of great matches to talk about, but having just sat through this one, a commanding performance against Erna Sblinka, and I really truly couldn't be happier for her name.
Speaker 1: Osaka deserves this. It's incredible. We're going to have a new Wimbledon champion. Of course, Egos Chiontek, who was the defending champion, went out yesterday to Eala. A lot of people weren't surprised about that, believe it or not, mainly because you know, Eager just I don't know what's going on. But she just looks so uncomfortable on the tennis court. She's picking shots she should not be hitting. She is hitting shots she should not be hitting. She's getting frustrated even on the set point yesterday. Caitlin and we will get to the Osaka match, but I think we sort of have to backtrack because I do want to get to Osaka. I just feel like we have to talk about the defending champion losing. We have to talk about Rebakina losing. There's just so many upsets in the women's side of the drawer, and guess what, Hunger Games as per usual every single week, this is happening. But you know, I want to address the eger. It's just you know, even on set point in the first set, she had a completely open court on the forehand, which she would normally have just ripped for a winner two your three years ago, and missed it by like twenty feet to give the first set away. And it's like points like that that you just go, what is going on that you, as one of the best players over the last ten years, that you or maybe six seven years, that you miss a shot that badly on such a big point against someone so inexperienced as Iala. Yes, she's had some good results over the last couple of years, but that is where you lock.
Speaker 3: Down and don't miss.
Speaker 1: And you know, going back to even Serena playing when she was down match point, what does.
Speaker 3: She do huge first surf?
Speaker 1: Like you lock back into the things that you know you can do well, and for Eager that she can't even make a basic sort of open court forehand on a huge point just indicates to me there's so much uncertainty in her game, in how she's feeling out there, and there's going to be a lot of questions that need to be asked of her and her team and everything going forward onto a surface that she likes, which is hardcourt, but still it's not as comfortable as clay, and we saw what happened there. So I don't know what are your thoughts on Eger before we get to all the other upsets in this tournament.
Speaker 2: They're not terribly different than the thoughts I've had about Ego for the last chunk of time, which is really you know, she has who I think is a very capable coach in her bucks in the guys of Francisco Roig. Maybe that's not true.
Speaker 1: He has not done well with any plays outside of Raufa. I'm just going to sigh that out, Love Lou.
Speaker 2: I am loath to criticize him, not because I feel like he's not deserving of criticism, but the one consistent that we've seen through the travails of Ega has been her mental coach. And again, if you ask me my thoughts, those are my honest thoughts. There's not another player that I know of that travels with the mental coach. What strikes me about her tennis is not that she's physically unwell. It's not that she's the technique is poor, although you know, obviously lots have been made about how the serve needs to be an easy plus one and the forehand obviously the grip. But the thing that I think you're describing that I think a lot of us have seen. She looks unhappy, she looks indecisive, she looks shaken, and I think for somebody who travels with the mental coach, you'd think the one thing they would have going for them at all times is a serene, confident, positive demeanor. So yeah, maybe it's another coaching change that's in the plans. I know she's spoken about how Francisco Royd was coaching her on a sort of a temporary basis. It was a trial. Obviously, if he were to be dismissed, it wouldn't be the first, second, third, or probably even fourth coach that has coming one in a short.
Speaker 3: Amount of time.
Speaker 2: But I do feel like, you know, it's easy to talk about the fact that she needs to change up her mental coach situation, because she still needs to do it. And until she does it, you know, unless she starts winning and feeling like the kind of player who looks like they're happy to be out there and hitting open court winners the way that any professional athlete should be able to execute, I don't know. I feel like you really have to assess that part of the relationship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, obviously, look, she doesn't look happy out there. I don't know what's going on, and certainly we don't know what's going on off the court. There could be a lot of things going on in her life that we were not aware of that you know, maybe you know, a mental coach is trying her best to also get her to a better place. We don't know what's going on, you know. I think she has a pretty complicated life in a lot of ways.
Speaker 3: With her family.
Speaker 1: I think there's a lot things that we maybe don't even know who knows. But the thing that I notice is just it's just all over the place. I mean, her shot selection is all over the place. And so you know, with Todd Woodridge and I talked about that last week and he noticed it as well when she lost in bud Hamburg and what he was like, she's hitting the wrong shots at the wrong time, She's picking the wrong choices. And you know, I've always been a big believer that that starts in practice, and if you don't, you know, practice the things that you want to create in a match court, it's never going to happen in a match no matter what. So my question is, I'd like to go and watch her practice, you know, and see what is going on on practice court, and it could be her demeanor. You know, some people have terrible demeanor on the court in practice, that's what they take on to the court. So you know, I can't really get into the specifics of that because I didn't watch her practices over the last few months, so I don't know how she's reacting on the court in that way. But it certainly we saw her cry after the first round. We knew how much that meant to her. And then she goes on and Lucy Yala, who she had lost to before they were one and one before.
Speaker 2: And to be fair, Yalla looks very very comfortable on grass. Obviously she has had she has a super low center of gravity as well. She's really great at getting low and picking up the ball right on the off the bounce. She's a great athlete. There's an incredible shot that's going around the internet of her full dive honor belly making what look like, you know, an outfield catch, full extension and played that point, kept the ball in and forced you goe to hit an error. So like, she's a competitor, and I am really rooting for her seeing how much that win meant to her and hearing her incredible speech about how you know, maybe for Grand Slam champions, winning their third round match and going into the second week of a Slam might seem non extraordinary, but for you know, a kid from the Philippines who who's got an entire niche and much less an entire region of the world on her shoulders. The reaction from everyone around the world was just so so so wonderful to see. And you know, I don't know if alex Scala can win this tournament, but I certainly, you know, am root and for her to go as absolutely deep as she can, just seeing how much excitement and joy she's bringing, you know, into the sport via her incredibly, incredibly large fan base.
Speaker 1: You know, when you see the players who win the tournament walk across that little bridge you know that goes from the locker room to the players area. There was one hundred and fifty people of it looked like a lot of Philippine descent underneath that bridge, and she walked across and it was like Jesus Christ had walked across the bridge. I mean, she is so popular it is unbelievable in that country, and they follow her wherever she goes. Wherever you will go, we will follow is a very popular song. So if you don't know it, listen to it because that is what Ela La has coming her way every single time she plays. And so, I mean, just an amazing effort from her. Clearly we know she goes up against Jasmine Paulini first on center court tomorrow.
Speaker 3: That is the plan.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because I think Paulini actually goes into that match as slight favorite because she's been on that court before, as is Yala now. But I feel like maybe something is switched in Jasmine Paolini. She's fought through a couple of really tough matches here and I feel like maybe the confidence will start coming back. And you know how much I loved Pauolini. I think it's going to be a super fun match. Whoever comes out of that match really has a chance to make it to the semifinals, of which is crazy. It's crazy when you think about the year that Paulini's had with a lot of it and she's had injuries that have certainly affected her over the last twelve months. But it'll be a great story if either of them were to get through and push through.
Speaker 3: And let me.
Speaker 1: Tell you something the bottom half of the drawer, Mattie Keys, like, after what she did in beating Amanda Anisimova, you've got to think Maddi Keys now up against Nskova, that's the sort of like Noskova's playing well, she wins in Berlin, she comes here hitting her ball huge. That is going to be a massive hitting ball, ball striking match between Noscova and Mattie Keys and they play the winner of Buskova and Mertens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one of those la is going to get through the semi.
Speaker 2: You like Madison Keys's odds, I certainly do for that bottom pote.
Speaker 1: But every time you think Madison Keys is going to come through and she should. She doesn't, so I hope that she goes into this literally thinking I'm a Grand Slam champion. This is normal for me. I should be winning these matches. This is a player who's won three Eastbourne titles leading into this tournament and has not had the tournament that she should have. On grass, she has a massive serve, she has a huge game. Grass is perfect for her. She came very close over the last few years of breaking through here, but that unfortunate injury with the hip and the you know, the groin area that she's suck a couple of years ago was devastating. And then she went on to win the Austrain and Open eventually, which was great. But I've always said that I feel like Madison Keys should be you know, if you think about the people that have won this tournament, and I include Schiantech in this last year, Mattie Keys hays the game to win this tournament as well.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, no, I completely agree with you, And I think again on the bottom half, I feel like the other part of the bottom half has.
Speaker 3: A has cost check.
Speaker 2: We've got who else is down there.
Speaker 1: Ashean Krueger, So you've got Kruger playing Kostjuk, You've got Paulini playing Iyala, You've got Keys playing Noskova. I think whoever wins between Noskova and Matti Keys, for me, is the favorite to get to the final on the bottom half of the draw, because Noskova is now top ten in the world. She won in Berlin. She plays really well on grass. She's young, she's hungry, she hits a huge ball, she came through an incredibly tough match in the previous one, and I think she's also playing with house money she feels like. So I just think that keys Noscova winner is the best grasscourt player on the bottom half of the draw, and I think the winner of that match will make the final. Now having said that, it probably won't happen because women's tennis.
Speaker 2: TENNUS is not going to be predictable. That's one thing.
Speaker 1: I mean the same sure that I don't know if you watch the Rebarkina match, but how Rebarkina loses to Mertens having a seven to one head to head record and playing the way that we know she can play, and Mertens is sort of that player that sort of gets around to like third fourth rounds but doesn't really break through. She made a semi final of the Australian Open many many years ago. But that for me, that for me was the worst loss of all the losses that happened over the last couple of days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't disagree with you. I think she just looked listless, maybe is the right word. Listless, like just kind of She's always cool as cucumber. She doesn't show a lot of emotion, but she just looked flat. She looked unhappy to be there. It was it was rough.
Speaker 3: We'll be back with a lot more of Wimbledon after the break.
Speaker 2: I do want to talk a little bit about the top half of the jaw, because everybody I like watching in the top half of the jaw, like the top half of the draw has name Issaka, who just came through against Sabalanka, who in my mind maybe is now the favorite to win this. I liked the Mukhova Barbera Kadjikova match. I watched it earlier today.
Speaker 3: Fantastic.
Speaker 2: Kdjikova was the last Wimbledon winner to go out. So now, as you said, we will get a new champion. Mukhova has all the tools. This is a surface custom built for her game. She moves really beautifully. She is obviously an attacking, net loving forward, moving as she should be. And then we've got you know, Jpeg, who came through against Iva Yovic. I'm curious your thoughts about Iva Yovic. She's obviously very solid, she's very young. She has a very similar game to Jess Pegoula. I just don't know that she has the firepower and I kind of see her as being like a perennial quarter finalist, which she's not going to be this toronomic because she just lost a Jpeg who goes into the quarterfinals. But I wonder what you kind of think about that matchup.
Speaker 1: I think that Jess Pagola did a great job at adjusting in the second and third sets. I thought she varied her pacer ball, she changed that up a little bit. And I think that Yovic. I think you're correct. I think they're very similar. I think Jpeg hits maybe a slightly bigger ball, a flatter for sure, But I think that Iva Yovic. I've seen her around the courts over the last week or so, and she's gotten stronger. She's still very young, she's gotten stronger. She needs to improve the serve, which has arguably been the biggest disadvantage for jess Pagoula and not winning a Grand Slam over the last few years, is that she's faced bigger service like Sabalanca, Rebeccina, like these types of players, even eager can pop down a serve from time to time use that kicker.
Speaker 3: So when you think about people that.
Speaker 1: Have won slams over the last few years, they've had kind of bigger serves, and so I think that's where Jpeg has been a little bit left vulnerable against those types of players, particularly on the second serve, and I think Jovic's area of serving needs to improve hard. She's not that tall. They're about the same size. But I picked Jessica to win the tournament. She was my pick. I mean, I had to pick somebody in the Hunger Games, and I did pick jess I do think that she's right to win on this court. She's playing well. She lost to Niskova in the finals at Berlin. So you've got the form grasscourt players doing really well. You've got Niskova who won Berlin, You've got Jpeg who made the finals. You've got Mukhova still in the finals, still in the tournament who won in bud Hamburg. You've got these players that have done really well in the last few weeks on grass coming in here feeling really good about themselves. That's why I was a bit shocked about Rebukin losing. But I mean, I don't know, and I'll tell you you know, Cocoa Golf and Benchit's is still out there. So it's like the top half of the drawer. It almost feels like, though Caitlin, whoever gets through there, you think is going to win because quote unquote they've come through the toughest section. But sometimes when you come through the toughest sections, you end up losing the final.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you're so pooped because you had to go through everybody else tapped totally. Yeah, yeah, you're tapped. I will say, all the players that I am excited about are in the top half, and so I would really really like to see Na may Osaka win this. I think jpeg, yes, it might be her time, and this is certainly the surface most likely to I don't see Benchi or Goff candidly doing it this year, although I'm not thrilled that, you know.
Speaker 3: I don't see them winning the tournament.
Speaker 2: I don't see that, whereas for for Pagula, Osaka, maybe Mukhova and as you said, Nskovi or Keys in the bottom half. But it's just it's kind of for me, it's like house money because everybody left is really good and I'm really excited about it. Doesn't feel like there would be an unders serving kind of and business end of the tournament, which is what I like. I like when it's all quality. You know, I'll kill her nol Filler.
Speaker 1: It's really interesting that you've got Osaka, Mukhova, and Pulgoula in particular, because we don't know benchichin golf, haven't played yet. Let's say Benchich ends up winning that if ben Chicch wins that you think about Osaka, Pagoula and Benchic, they're all very capable and very if they won a Grand Slam. Clearly we know Naomi's won four, so for her to win a Grand Slam, it's not a shock. But you wouldn't have said six months ago that you know she's one of the favorites now to win Wimbledon, considering she didn't really like grass as well, she didn't move well on it, but she has definitely adapted herself to playing on grass, much like Maria Sharapova, who hated playing on clay, adapted herself and her game to playing on clay and won multiple tournaments. At the French Open, for me, I picked Pagoula and I would love to see her win a Grand Slam because she's been so good for so many years now at that pointy end of a tournament, and I've talked about how I really believe that if she'd beaten Vondrasova, she would have won Wimbledon that year when Vondrosova went on to win the tournament. But part of me also is really pulling for Makova because I just she's been so close, She's had so many injuries, it's been so hard for her to keep herself together. And I just feel like with Van Grunfeld as her coach as well, he's taken a bunch of players deep into Grand Slams and one Grand slams with them, and that really makes a difference when you have somebody that's in your player box that knows how to manage these moments, and so there's no one up that half of the draw that I don't like winning this tournament because I think it's great for women's tennis because all of them deserve to win it. And then you look at the bottom half the drawer and it's just like a pick them. I mean, who is going to get through to who's going to get the final? I mean, I really do want Mattie Keyes to just kind of TCB and just at least just you know, when the draw opens up is oftentimes when I feel like she falls apart, whereas you know, like, oh, she's got to get through Rebarkna, then Yugoshfountek and then Sablenka and then she do so I feel she maybe likes adversity a little bit more. Well, the next match is definitely her biggest adversity down there for sure, so Miscover is going to be her biggest adversity. So it will be interesting to see how that match pans out, because, as I already stated, I believe that the winner of that match will make the finals.
Speaker 2: If makes sense. Now, I want to we should talk about the man, but before we do, I, along with the rest of the world, was obviously sad to see our two favorite sisters not be able to compete on the court together. That was incredibly exciting. It was hinted at it was going to happen. Venus looked ready. She was like that call must have come like quite late. What can you tell us? What do you want to talk about in terms of the recapping the Serena experience? Just so you know, a lot of other journalists have come to me and said, hey, I know you and Renee know each other very well, what can you say about what Serena's next plan is? And I'm like, listen, I first of all, I don't know anything. Second of all, yeah, you can ask Grena, but I have a feeling this team probably keeps it pretty close to the chest. And you know what I what I have observed is that you know, Serena is the one who's making the decisions, and you know, unless you ask her directly, is anyone's guest. So what what's your kind of takeaway from the from the wimbled and experience? What do you think maybe Serena's takeaway was? And you know, maybe is there a chance that we'll see the Williams sisters aren't work together for the US hope?
Speaker 1: And first of all, I want to address you know, I try not to look at social media in these you do.
Speaker 3: It's no no, I really I try not to.
Speaker 1: I try not to let people because there's so many dumb things that are written. There's so many ill informed people on the internet. There's so many ill informed reporters. That's the stuff that are so ill informed and so not researched, not thought about. They just think I've got a deadline. So I'm going to write whatever I want, and I'm going to be whoever I want, and I don't care about the ramifications of whatever I say.
Speaker 3: And it's really hard for somebody.
Speaker 1: Like me who is very loyal to people, especially when they're my friends, and especially when I've seen the work and the effort that went in by Serena, by her team, by everyone to get her on that court playing as well as she could have played. And the thing that bothered me the most is that I would argue and say that most players, and most coaches and most people that are really students of the game, like really understand what it takes to do what Serena did the other day. We're all blown away by how well she played, by how well she handled the moment.
Speaker 3: They couldn't believe.
Speaker 1: Like you know, Andy Roddick said on his podcast, like I cannot imagine taking three and a half years off and stepping onto the center court at Wimbledon to play my first match in singles. He's like, I would play a challenger warm up at least, And I'm like, this is where her mind is just different.
Speaker 3: She just is.
Speaker 1: And let me tell you every single time, and she said it, so I'm not saying anything that is not out there. She gets nervous before every match. You think about being a nervous person, even as every player is. There's not one player that walks on court there's not nervous, and the ones that do don't care and probably retire like two months later. But to be able to take the pressure of what she did and the expectation of what are we going to see right and go out there and display the tennis and the shot making and the tenacity and the serving and all that sort of stuff with not a lot of preparation, certainly no matches under a belt for three and a half years was phenomenal. And you know, now it's very public about what happened to the knee. It was incredibly painful for her. Afterwards. You saw as she posted that the amount of fluid that she drained out of her knee, and that was not the case going on the court.
Speaker 3: So you know a lot of people like you know, was injured before it.
Speaker 1: No, this was somebody who went out in the court and as she said, she tweaked it in the first part of the.
Speaker 3: Latter part of the first set.
Speaker 1: And if you go and watch the match, she's rubbing her legs constantly on every single change over which if you've ever watched the Serena Wims, she doesn't do that. So that was a concern for us. As we were talking to me, I was like, she keeps rubbing legs.
Speaker 3: This is not great.
Speaker 1: You know, I thought her legs were going in the third but she, you know, said, I actually felt great. It was just the knee. She just couldn't adjust to certain balls behind her or whatever it was. And we saw that, and so you have people out there she couldn't even move, she's not in shape. I'm like, it's so hard to not defend somebody that, you know, when you see them off the court when they finished the match and see what they are dealing with on the pain threshold and the effort that she still put it in for the public and for her fans and everyone out there. So it really did piss me off. And it's really hard to not reply to a lot of these absolute clowns on the internet because they are they're making statements, and it actually made me think about the way I would talk about any sports athlete that I see now in a lot of ways to say, you know what, we don't know everything, We don't know everything, and so you know, of course, the connotation of like, oh, she didn't come to press, typical, typical. I'm like, if you saw her after the match, she would know exactly why she didn't go to press. You saw what was drained down to her leg. It's like she would have loved I'm quite certain that she would have loved to have gone into press and like thanked the tournament for giving the wild card. She would have spoken about the joy of being on that court again. She was in tremendous pain when she came with the court. She was not going to go to press, to a press conference, and the club and the doctors were very adamant about she didn't need to go because everyone saw how much pain she was in so it's like it just as a friend and as somebody who does as you know, Caitlin, I will fight to the death for my people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want you in my trenches, and I've had you in my trenches. So yes, I understand that, even just saying what you said about how it was frustrating to see a lot of irresponsible commentary.
Speaker 3: And from journalists that are like, and don't you worry to all of them out there, tick tick tick.
Speaker 1: I know exactly the ones that supported her, I know exactly the ones that made the shitty comments, and those people will not be getting any quite for me.
Speaker 3: Ever.
Speaker 2: Again, I do want to sort of speak to the journalism part of that, because people are fans. Serena's fans are very very fervent, Syrienus detractors are very very fervent. I think that's you can't have a supernova of a personality, of a star, of somebody who's accomplished so much on the tennis court without having a lot of strong.
Speaker 1: Tell the racism. It's it's heavy out there too, because a lot of some of the comments were so disgusting.
Speaker 2: Car and the misogyny as well, you know, that's you know, those two often go hand in hand. I think for me, the thing that I find really really frustrating about a lot of the tennis journalism is, even though we've seen some newer entrants, we've had better, more prominent hires in the space. You know, shout out to Matt Futterman at the New York Times, who's you know, wrote a great OCCA piece. Shout out to you know, some of the some of the journalists, you know, Ava Wallace at the Athletic. Like, there's some really good, smart people in the space, ask good questions and who are not being controversial for the sake of being controversial, but a lot of them need an editor. A lot of them are writing for their sort of substacks or their hobby blogs or whatever, and they don't owe a newsroom the kind of veracity and you know, sort of fact by the book that a fact checked, newsroom centric piece of journalism would would need to have. They just hit publish and then it's not out there. And you know, I think it's still very very frustrating to me at the level of professionalism a lot of the media. I mean, the only thing I'll say about Serena is I was excited to see her back. I thought she looked great. She played and the results were better than I was expecting, candidly, and I was just really sad to not see the sisters play because I like see the sisters playing. I hope I get to see them play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I can tell you that it was a very heavy weighted thought process and not play the doubles because as you can imagine, Serena wanted to play with her sister.
Speaker 3: She wanted to play that last time and.
Speaker 1: Make that, you know, make a golden run or a moment, and everyone wanted to see that. I saw a piece friend of mine who cuts and does it edits the beautiful vignettes that they do with the music and everything for us for ESPN actually sent it to me what they did.
Speaker 3: The public never got to see it. I got to see it.
Speaker 1: It was so beautiful to watch this old film and then playing. And yeah, I mean it was really hard for Serena to not step on the court with Venus, and Venus was playing well.
Speaker 3: I saw her play mixed the day before and she was serving great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we should take a break in a second before we get on the man. But last question before we do. Do you have any inside information? Do you know what we can expect next? You know, is there a plan or is it kind of just more like evolving and we'll see what happens kind of thing.
Speaker 1: You know, every decision a week to week is literally serenus, and you know, she gives us a plan and we try and execute it for her and get her to that position. Clearly, there's a lot for her to deal with right now with this knee and getting it to a healthier spot, and then we'll go from there. But I already said it's out there in the ap that does she want to keep playing? Absolutely, she wants to keep playing. Does she want to eventually likely play the US Open? I'm sure she wants to play the US Open. But just like the decision that was made here, it is one hundred percent her decision. We do not talk her into either or play not We you know, sit with her and she makes a decision and whatever decision she chooses to make, then we will go with that.
Speaker 3: But does she want to keep playing?
Speaker 1: Yes, of course she wants to keep playing, but she also has to take care of her her body right now, and then I think she'll be of a lot clearer in her thought process once that happens. All right, let's take a break. We'll come back. After the break, we'll talk about the dudes.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's talk about the dudes.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about the dudes.
Speaker 1: Janick Sinner, it's kind of been slowly getting into the tournament. Started very shaky, understandably, Ketchmenovich is a type of player that can frustrate a lot of players. But he's slowly starting to get his confidence back. He's starting to look like the player that we expect to be the favorite. But it's kind of almost interesting in a lot of ways because you see the human side of any athlete, and what happened to him at the French Open, for sure, would have dented a lot of confidence in his ability to be able to hang in long matches to put these guys away easier. And so for me, it's kind of really I love Yanick. Everybody knows I love Yanick. I played golf with him a couple of weeks ago. He's a great guy and so and Darren k. Hill is one of my very very good friends. So I love him and I want him to do well all the time. But it kind of adds a little bit more spice to the tournament that we may be expected. And of course, no Djokovic, what is it one hundred and six matches or something that he won at Wimbledon tonight, Like it's insane, and he looks very good.
Speaker 2: I watched that Djokovic match. He looked, I mean, he was. It's always funny because you're, like, you've won this tournament so many times, you have the most Grand slams on the men's side, ever you are still talking about yourself flailing around being the underdog. I mean, he just needs to get into that mindset to get fired up. That's just obviously what he's doing. It's like, uh, it's this you know, mental sort of gymnastics that he does. Even when everything's going right, he's still, you know, carrying on like a pork chap. As my good friend Renee Stubs would say, he looked great today. He looks smooth, you know. Sephfielin was a was a qualifier, but he's given lots of good players lots of trouble. That was not a routine match. No, Bak Djokovic made it look routine. He served, he came well for he came forward really well. He was just moving really beautifully, and yeah, if he's going to get one more slam, which is certainly passable, this would be the one I would pick for him to win. And I think just spoke what you said about center. She doesn't have a terribly difficult section of the draw. I expect him to go through. Yeah, but Djokovic is in his half, and I actually would maybe pick Djokovic over Center if the if that came to pass.
Speaker 1: So I just feel like that Janick, once it gets to a point where he has to play someone like a Djokovic, the intensity just goes up, and I think that, believe it or not, Novak sort of also feels like, can I beat this guy again? He did boo him at this Strain Open. I know that a couple of years ago, so he's quite capable of doing it. There's a lot more tennis still to go. It's it's not done and dusted. You know, they're not in the semi finals quite yet, so they're still a little bit more to go. Of course, you know her Couch and Streff, these types of players can beat anyone on a on a grass court, and they're up his Yanick section of the draw, and of course Novak will play the winner of my favorite, Felix, yes, seem no, that's your favorite? My favorite saying name.
Speaker 3: Is Vitovich Davidovich for Quina it is are.
Speaker 1: They are in an absolute tussle right now. They are in the fifth set, so I just feel like this is a long way to go. There's a lot of tennis still to be played. Felix, I just I just don't know. I don't know if he has it what it takes to get it done. So I feel like Novak is definitely the favorite to get through there. And yes, it's very likely that we're going to see Janick and Novak in the semis, and I don't know it could happen.
Speaker 2: I think it would be a fantastic match. This would break my heart because I'm so team Felix. I spent most of the week up in Montreal, my hometown and his hometown, reliving some of my early years, but also learning about what tennis Montreal has been doing with all these players and why there's so many good young montrealers and Felix I don't need to tell you is the patron scenes of Montreal tennis. He is such a beloved a good reason kid. I think the thing with him is does he have the grit? He's he moves beautifully, he's got a great game, but he doesn't really show up in these these pointy ends of tournaments. Him getting to the Semis last year at you I was open, I thought was a major breakthrough. And then on Clay this year, he he fell at the at the French in a way that I think, you know, he even admitted was gutting and absolutely kind of destroyed him.
Speaker 1: So well, the good thing is he's up to to to Love in the fifth set, so likelihood is with his serve he should get through this match, so I hope.
Speaker 2: So, but yeah, he's still got bitch to contend with, and and you know, center center lurks at the top. Let's talk about the other half. I, among many many people, was super sad to see Tiafo not come through against Bublick in the fifth set yesterday. Bublick now has Taylor Fritz who looks great. Actually, I'm happy that Taylor Fittz is happy and healthy. It feels like for a lot of these guys, happy and healthy is a is a big deal. One person I am absolutely completely thrilled for. Actually two in fact are the gentlemen who played till five sets very late last night, which was Grigor Dimitrov and Materio Bertini. The fact that nobody got hurt, the fact that they played like gladiators, and the fact that we saw like vintage baby fed Era Dimitrov after last year, him being up two sets to love on center terrace is peck wide open on center Courton has to stop the match. What a tragic ending that was to his Wimbledon. I hope this guy, for the feel goods that he is owed, goes very very deep, because I think his half of the draw is very, very very winnable. That's not to say I think Grigor di Mitrov is going to come through. But here's who's in the this part of the draw. Deminar tomorrow plays Koboli, great lovely guys. I don't see either of them winning Wimbledon. Dimitrov has the very young Faery Fritz plays Bublik and Jerry Lahechka has Alex Severev who just won his first line. And who is the second seed That said, I don't know, I don't know, I don't know who I like in that section of the draw except Grigor Dimitrov.
Speaker 1: I think if gret I saw him today when I was leaving, he looked really relaxed, very happy, clearly.
Speaker 3: But almost with this quiet like it's not over. It's not over. My friends. Fate in absolutely And would I live nothing more than to see greg Or Demetrov whin Wimbledon. Oh you better believe it.
Speaker 1: And is he arguably the most creative tennis player still left in the drawer, Oh you better believe it. That backhand that he hit down the line to get the break on Berrettini, the return that he hit that game he played at one all in the fifth was redundculous.
Speaker 3: It was unbelievable. And as a one handed back.
Speaker 1: End player, I was just like, holy shit to take that serve and just bunt that return back. And a couple of times I said, were you waiting on a were you waiting on the backhand?
Speaker 3: Would you have a grip?
Speaker 1: Because you know, as a one hand I know you can either slice, hit over the top of it, or hit a fourhand, and you're forehand grip is often your slice backhand grip, right, So most one handers will stand with their forehand grips and then if they serve to the back end, you can ship it back in the court. And he said on that one, I was waiting for it, baby, and I had my top spin backhand. So if you're waiting with the top spin, I mean, if you're waiting to the top spin back end and they go to your forehand, you have to switch your grip, which is you can do it. Obviously you used to it, but when that ball's on you at one hundred and forty miles an hour, you better make a quick choice. And he was waiting on it, and he just plumbed it right in the middle of the rack, and it's the best feeling in the world when you sort of guess. So you know, I did ask him because I was like, I'm curious because he and I have, you know, the same sort of way we hit the ball, and I'm like, were you standing with the top spin grip and he goes on that one I was I.
Speaker 2: Was like, yes, Well, it's amazing. The commentators on that match we were noting that on break point down Berttini had only gone body or tea on Dimitrov and that was the first time he went out wide to the backhand, and he paid the price.
Speaker 1: He picked rung No, no, no, it was out of the way around. This was the first time he went to the tee. He'd been serving wide the whole time in the tournament. He'd ned and go tea one time and he chose to go to the forehand and he chipped it back in the court and he ended up winning the point. It was the opposite so so it was shocking that he decided. The backhand he hit was on the first court, so he hit the inside out back end. I was the second on the break point he served down the tee instead of going wide, and it was the first time on any break point that he hadn't gone wide.
Speaker 2: I stand corrected Demitrum would I would love to see him on it.
Speaker 1: What do you think about chest What do you think about bublic look? I think is what type of playing. I think that Taylor will win that match. I think that he's finding his form at just the perfect time. Bublick is not easy to play, but I just feel like Taylor will be a little bit too. I don't want to say professional, but I just feel like he'll be just, you know, nails down. I think he's been building through this last couple of weeks. He's done quite well. He's lost some big match against Americans, believe it or not, in Ben Shelton and Francis Tiafo. But the thing about Taylor, he turns up at the Grand slams Now, he turns up at the Majors, and he did in Australia because he wasn't fit enough, and the Franchi is you know, the clay is still not' you know whatever, and I still don't think he was really physically ready. I think he's physically finally at match fitness. So I see him winning that match.
Speaker 3: And if he does, who plays Verev?
Speaker 1: If Zverev beats Lahitchka, which there's no guarantee he's going to beat Leahchica because Lahitchka can play on this surface.
Speaker 3: Taylor beats Verev every single time.
Speaker 2: I hope he's stretching.
Speaker 1: I mean every single time. He doesn't lose to Zverev, so mentally he has it over him. Game Wise he has it over him, so it's very POSSI I did say there was going to be an American in the Semis, and I do believe it will be Taylor. Fritz and I think it'll be Taylor against Gregor.
Speaker 2: Well, that would be a match that I also would feel great about anybody going through. I truly would. I think that would be a fantastic outcome. There are sometimes these tournaments I just root for good tennis and I love watching good matchups, and so that's why so many of these matches have been really fun, because it gives you a chance to understand stylistic differences, personality differences. You know, a lot of these guys are as different as night and day sometimes and it's rare, truly because I like to keep him an open mind. But on occasion it'll just be like, I hope this person does not win a point. And there are very few players like that, you know, there's one in the men's drop now, But other than that, it's like, this is full of interesting, cool players that I though, I would very much like to see get through the very end stages. And like, like you said, I could see a Taylor Grigor showdown, and I think that Mezra would be better off for it, for sure.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of great stories.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of great stories in the men's and the women's One is you know, I failed to mention the fact that, if you know, Alex Demonor were to win against Koboli, which I think he probably will, it would also be lovely to see him reach a semi final for the first time out of a major.
Speaker 3: He's made the quarters. You know, he's been so close so many times.
Speaker 1: So you know, from Australian standpoint and from Alex he's just the greatest guy and he works his ass off.
Speaker 3: I'd love to see him.
Speaker 1: And of course he's you know, his fiance is English in you know, Katie Bolt, and so he'll have a lot of support behind him here in England. But yeah, there's just a lot of great stories for me Gregor coming back after what happened last year. And don't forget he was up two sets to love against Janick Sinner who went on to win the tournament, and one not fairly comfortable in the final against our Ciaz.
Speaker 3: So if you're Gregor and you're his coach.
Speaker 1: You say, my friend, you are arguably the best player on grass still left in this tournament, and at your age you have the experience you can do this. A lot of tennis still to go though, and that's.
Speaker 3: Why we're here.
Speaker 1: That's right, So who do you see you have to pick? Predicting is doesn't make me excited. I think you think Naomi is looking good? Is looking good unbelievable?
Speaker 2: I think she's sure very well. I could also see Makova with winning this. I have a hard time disaggregating who I want to win with who I think will win. So I just want there to be very, very strong matches. I think what happened last year with Nissimova was brutal, and I think what has happened, you know this year in the French Open was brutal on the men's side, like that just wasn't a high quality match. And you know, you want to see the you want to see the two very best players in the tournament, and a lot of times that correlates with the very two best players in the world battling it out in the last, the absolute last match. And so for me, I could what makes me really happy about the women's draw as it is right now is there's so many outcomes that would would lead to that. There's fewer outcomes on the men's side for me that would lead to that, But I think there's still there's still a ton of them so I think, yeah, I think truly, I'm just rooting for good tennis, and I'm rooting for everybody but one person on the men's side to show me something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's why we're here. We're going to bring it to you next week. Lots of lots of just great tennis ahead of us. The women's half up the top there is just unbelievable. So looking forward, who can figure out the way to get through it? And obviously we don't know if Coco or Benchicic'll with the one to play Pagola. Pagola has had it sort of over Coco over the last few years, particularly on grass. I feel like she's just gets that ball too quickly through the court. But Benchic is an interesting character because she we know she can play well. She's played made the semi finals here before, so look, it's interesting. Sabalanca out Osaka looking like the Osaka we know from many many years ago, serving bombs, returning the ball moving great.
Speaker 3: But Mahova, of.
Speaker 1: Course, we know how beautiful she plays tennis. Paulini, there's all some really great stories. Mattie Keyes, so we're here for it. And of course the men's Ken Novak Jokovic get twenty five, and wouldn't it be just amazing if he ended up winning here this year. All right, guys, I got a lot to talk about next week. I can't wait for it all. Caitlin, I hope you get some sleep because I know you're up early watching You said, all right, guys, we'll see you next week.
Speaker 3: Bye bye,