Speaker 1: The Official Jets Podcast is presented by win Bet. Betting is a team sport, but together at win Bet. Eric Allen here with Jets assistant GM rex hogin what's it like right now as far as the point of time here the roster, your initial fifty three is set, you're getting to practice squad finalized, and oh, by the way, in the distance not too far away now Jets Bills, Monday Night Football, September eleventh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's exciting because how we've built the fifty three obviously, and we're able to retain some of the guys who we had on the roster previously, and then we've also gone out and got a handful of guys to add to the practice squad that we got from other clubs and the pro department, pro staff, all those guys did an unbelievable job to get those guys and to evaluate the number. How the markets flooded with all the free agents who hit it cut down. So I had a long night and worked through it and identified the guys that we wanted to get and we were to get them after the claims went in.
Speaker 1: How would you describe how far the roster has come since Joe Douglas was hired as GM in June of twenty nineteen, and shortly there after he brought you back to Floren Park.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just the turnover, Alan, I don't know the exact numbers. I wish I did off the top of my head, but it's it's unreal how we've gone from I think maybe a handful of guys who were on the initial roster in twenty nineteen to now what we have. So it's been quite a work in progress and we're still going to build.
Speaker 1: Now. The big fish for you guys this offseason was acquiring Aaron Rodgers. Joe just talked to the media here downstairs and he said, at the start of the offseason, I would have thought this was very unrealistic, but with each passing day, it became more realistic. From your view, what was it like as you watched the process and fold and you're a central character in.
Speaker 2: This, Yeah, it was. It was wild because you know, you think about having the opportunity to be able to go and get one of the best quarterbacks in the history of the game, and you know, just seeing it unfold in each step and how there became a little more clarity with it each time like this is realistic. We've got a chance with this, and you know, the anticipation builds and until that moment when he went on the McAfee show, and then then you know, word was spread around the world, so to speak, and it was it was wild. And then not only that, once you know he decided to come play for us, but having to work through the process with the packers of the trade. So once that was done, it was it was really a cool moment. I mean not only for us in player personnel, but obviously for the organization of the.
Speaker 1: Fan base watching him every day here out in camp. What were your takeaways because fans were able to see glimpses of that and one juts drive of course, and hard knocks as well. But for a guy who's here in the building, what stands out to you about Rogers?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they get a they're getting a glimpse now of who Aaron is and how he is on a day to day basis within the building and the impact that he makes not only on the team, but in the locker room and in the building. Like you mentioned, he it's really cool because he has a certain level and standard that he in accountability that just with him entering the building, there's this instant credibility obviously with his talent and his experience and his production, and now everybody else, not only on the team but in the building has to rise to that and reach those standards. And it's a constant drive and constant improvement is what we feel with that growth mindset throughout the team.
Speaker 1: Can you talk about his intelligence, His football intelligence is overall intelligence, but also the fact that he has an aura of relatability to him where he can go downstairs and talk to somebody in the locker room who's a rookie order his second year and connect, but he also can come upstairs and talk to you or Joe and connect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's on that not only offensive side of the ball, but defensive side of the ball. I think we saw it throughout the spring in OTAs how he would take Sauce out to dinner, or go to a basketball game, or go to a hockey game with some other guys on the other side of the ball. Maybe take CJ out to dinner and talk about, you know, the impact that both of them have as captains on offense and defense. And like you're saying that his relatability is incredible, and it's just the subtle, subtle conversations that he has pull a guy to the side and you know, talk about the details of a route or a formation and the impact they have within that play. And not only that, it's how he interacts with everybody else in the building. Like like you said, he'll come upstairs and make his way down the hallway just to introduce himself to everybody else within player personnel. And he just has an instant relatability.
Speaker 1: Like you've said, Joe said, five or six times each day he'll do something that's amazing. Would you echo with those sentiments.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely. It's whether it's a pass, a community vcation, something he sees, whether or not it's a run check to get us into a good run, just what he's seen he's seen off the defensive formation, just a little tendencies and the things that he does in the two minute drill and the small things and how he'll he'll bring the other qbs in and communicate it right before he goes in the huddle. But his ability and understanding of the big picture is super impressive.
Speaker 1: Did you see progress from Zach Wilson here throughout the summer. As far as his preseason play, you see him a practice every day, but getting those game reps and you know, you guys for the staff are hoping you don't see too much is Zach this year, but obviously you know from Afar it looked like he was a different person in terms of a confidence level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can. You can see it in his in his body language, how he commands the huddle and communicates how he's watching Aaron's subtle details of how he addresses the huddle and commands a hub and then when they break and the things he sees. Zach just has this more confidence in what he's seeing, how he's running things, and you see it how it's it translates onto the field with you know, he's quiet at his feet in the pocket, He's playing with a more efficient understanding of the of the position, and the effectiveness has been much better.
Speaker 1: What do you think about the offensive line now? Heading into the season, you get Dwayne Brown back off of pup and I think a lot of people, rightfully so didn't know what to expect for Makai and he came out transformed his body and he continues to elevate his game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mackay has done a tremendous job. But you know, physically you can see the change, how how he's handled himself, how he continues to get better every day, how the selflessness of you know, he wanted to be a left tackle, and with Dwayne coming back, he did it for the good of the team and moved to the right and has been extremely effective moving over to the right. And it's kind of given us that they've solidified as a group now with it, because there were a lot of moving parts throughout, not only OTAs with the injuries, with Dwayne being out, Makai returning, and then we were moving a lot of parts between you know, Max Mitchell and Billy Turner at the tackle positions. We're flipping those guys consistently. And then also the addition of Carter Warren and then you know Carter being injured, is gonna be out for a little bit, but can't wait to get him back and have him in the rotation as well. But offensive line as a whole man, they've really come together and jailed between you know, Lake and McGovern a v T and the addition of Joe Tipman West Schweitzer, so that whole group that's made up the fifty three offensive line group is going to be jailed and keep coming together.
Speaker 1: You excited to see what Dwayne can do with two arms because last year he got it out with one arm. Yeah, and then he got the surgery and the off season and for people who aren't here every day, dude's a workout.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt. I was the word. You know, it gets thrown around a little bit in terms of Warrior and how those offensive linemen played. But what he did last year was incredible with the playing through the injury and then not only since the season's been over, the surgery that he's had in his recovery and how hard he's worked to get back, and I mean, he's as strong as ever and he is a true pro in every sense.
Speaker 1: Tipman, can you talk about his development really quickly because Joe Robert excuse me said, pleasant surprise when he got those game reps and he started to come on at the center position. Then you guys had some injuries you were dealing with on interior, but that was something that you also talked about when you drafted him, is that we see position flexibility in Joe. Can you so, can you talk about what he did at center during camp and came on, but also getting those valuable reps at guard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's just the typical rookie transition. It's tough, especially when you're going to center and having to make the calls with the potential Hall of Fame quarterback behind you. So again those standards that you have to meet for him and what errand sies and so tip when he was thrown as he worked his way up and was thrown into the mix with the ones, as you know, starting center, getting reps with the ones, he showed each step of the way, whether it was with the threes at center, twos at center, twos at guard, and then they even put him in at left guard and right guard to deal with some injuries, so he showed position versatility. You know. Obviously we were impressed with his size, his strength, his athleticism, and his football intelligence and instincts, and those are all kind of coming together now and helping him make that transition and step. So I'm sure he's going to continue to push Connor McGovern for the starting spot.
Speaker 1: What about the wide receiver group, I think a lot of people maybe on the outside slightly surprised that Exavier Gibson's on the roster, not only him, but Jason Browne and then.
Speaker 2: IRV Charles as well. Right, So, yeah, we went with seven guys at the receiver position, and obviously all all those guys earned it. And you know, you try and do who are guys who are fifty three quality player in the level of roster ability, and each one of those guys proved it, and they're each different in their own right, you know, talking about X. First, he's a slot receiver who's got great speed, quickness, ability after the catch, and in addition to the return value, he's going to be our starting punt returner and compete for the kick return spot. And then what Jason Brownly has shown from the one hand catch and OTAs to his leaping ability, his body control, his rout ability in his hands, and how he's a different athlete than X and a different size. And then you have IRV with his combination of height, weight and speed and power. He's built more like a power forward compared to those other two guys. But Irv's made a serious jump in special teams and has really leaped to the forefront as our right one of our best special teams players on the roster and probably our best special teams player as a receiver to earn that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Roberts said that her Charles Special Teams Wolf Wolf, We'll be watching I like it. We'll be watching him here early in the fall. Does Garrett Wilson have a ceiling?
Speaker 2: I don't want to talk about a ceiling for it, because I think it's everybody can see where he can go with this play and as he continues to develop that rapport with Aaron, and that relationship with Aaron, it showed on in the game against the Giants. Man with just a couple, you know, a couple of drives, but you know the catch and the way Aaron gave him the look and the release and the timing of the route and accuracy of the throw, and how quick Aaron or Garrett's hands word of the ball. The receiver didn't even see, I mean the defender, he didn't even see it, how quickly it happened crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, That's why I'm on the rocker saying that fifteen hundred is not the ceiling this year, but potentially you could see that kind of season from him as far as the yardage is concerned. Other side of the ball. Well, Dremaine Johnson. Yeah, what kind of steps did he take throughted off season?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what he added to his body, you know, twelve pounds of muscle, and how he's up in the high two sixties now and it's shown you know, he'd always played with an edge last year. Now he's developed more power, more arsenal in terms of his pass rush repertoire, and it's all coming together for him. How he's playing on first and second down in the run game with violence and capturing the edge and setting the edge, not only setting yet but defeating and playing you know, behind the line of scrimmage and what he's shown as a pass rusher. You know, the guy's going to have a tremendous year. We feel great about him. How what he did in the offseason to improve and he's going to continue to impress us.
Speaker 1: Is this the deepest defensive line you've ever been part of?
Speaker 2: Yes? Absolutely? When you know in Chicago when we had the Super Bowl run with the defense was either number one or number two. We had some standouts, but nowhere near the depth of this group.
Speaker 1: Getting Quinna done before camp, how big was that? And can you talk about his mindset, because everybody in the building says that, hey, he got the bag now, But this is just he just wants to accelerate everything as far as he wants to take it to another level.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The cool thing I think it shows the locker room is a you know, homegrown talent so to speak. Guys we draft, guys, we develop, and then guys get rewarded for it, not only as a person but as a player. What Q brings and I don't I haven't seen a change at all in Q. He's the same guy, like he knows what he wants. He wants to be one of the best, if not the best, at his position, and he works like that and lives his life like that. And it continues to show for us.
Speaker 1: I could ask you about each of those guys up front, we don't have enough time to do that. I mean, Bryce hawf had a great summer. Will McDonald, I mean he has shown his past rush skill set, his moves more than just a speed.
Speaker 2: Guy, know that.
Speaker 1: But John Franklin Myers, I think he kind of goes under the radar a little bit. How valuable of a player is he and what can he do.
Speaker 2: In the system. Yeah, JFM is like a traditional base end for us, but he's a bigger base end, being a two hundred and ninety five pound guy who can instantly kick inside as a nickel three as a rusher, and when we go in those nickel rush situations, we can move him in add one of those edge guys that you just talked about, and so he gives us a lot of position flex as being the base defensive end or kicking inside as a nickel or essentially anywhere along the front with his skill set and athleticism. Not only him, but you have Michael Clemens, who's another guy who worked his ass off to get to two hundred and close to two hundred and ninety pounds, and he's different too because he's another power forward bill with super long wingspan and length and power. And so each one of those guys brings a different type of body type and rush. So you can't as an offensive tackle, you can't just oh, okay, I got to prepare just for this type of rush because they're coming in waves and each guy's different.
Speaker 1: Speaking of different body type, how about Al Woods coming in here at thirty six years old, you're going to have This is a little bit unconventional for Sala. He even mentioned at that, hey, we haven't had this kind of guy in our system. And then Quentin Jefferson is a guy who's coming off a career high sax season last year, longer player, and he's going to be able to give you guys more pass rush than inside as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And you know, Quinton has a versatility to play both in interior spots as a two technique or a three technique. He's shown that in Seattle and the previous defenses he's been in. But he's an active rusher who's another different variety, kind of like Solomon. Maybe a traditional undersized for the position, but he's got a skill set in terms of his quickness and his ability to win on the edge against blockers and then matched when you bring al in whether it's first and second down or if OL's in the game on third down, because of his power to push. He's such a huge man with you know, giant look like Catcher's mets for hands. The guy's so strong and powerful and it's hard to move that guy on the anterior and so he's gonna eat up blocks, and not only eat up blocks, he's gonna win and make plays inside a rock.
Speaker 1: Quincy has really developed since you guys claimed him off of waivers from Jacksonville. But what about those other three guys? He got Zaire Barnes, Jamie Surewood with his opportunity this year, and then how about Chez Sarat making this roster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just starting with Sherwood. Wood has made a tremendous jump from the last couple of years. You know, he suffered the Achilles injury. Coming off of it last year, he made strides and then spend every day of the offseason here and dedicated himself to be becoming a starting level NFL backer. And the guy's done it. He's done it in the offseason, he's done it during the training can up in preseason games. He's proven it. Super proud of him on what he's done. And then chaserratt Hiss continued to show NFL linebacker ability. There's a reason why he was a third round pick for the Minnesota Vikings out of North Carolina because of his his speed and his athleticism and tackling. And it was a former quarterback from North Carolina and started some games and made a transition. So probably a little bit later in his career, but he's shown he's worthy. And then then Zaire has had a typical you know, rookie transition, had some ups and some downs, and we're going to continue to keep working with him, obviously and proud of the steps and strides he's made. But all three of those guys still have upside that Rudy's done a great job, and Brick's done a great job, and Salad Roberts done a great job with developing those guys as linebackers and identifying guys that are fits for our defense.
Speaker 1: You can make an argument that you guys have the best cornerback group in the National Football League. Of course, that's led by Sauce Gardner, DJ Reid. Michael Carter's second such a valuable piece back there. But let me ask you about what do you think about the safety combination and how Tony Adams took advantage of his op here. And also we saw a little bit in the summer where you guys were exploring with some big nickel with Adrian Amos, Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, first of all, too and Markwan, what they've done to develop each one of those groups has been tremendous. You know, the attention to detail, always proverbial, dangling the carrot for these guys and having them work and grow each day. And both of them are great teachers of the game, and you see these guys absorb it. But along the lines of just the corners talk about JFM being kind of under the radar type guy, I think MC two kind of falls in that category because he's playing at a very high level in matching what Sauce and DJ are doing. So really proud of that group. And then we've got depth out at the outside corner spots and guys who are pushing them as well and have made some real growth with it. But trans to the safeties. Man, what what Tony Adams has done from an undrafted free agent, it's a testimony to you know, total buying.
Speaker 1: And you were talking about him in this chair last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're excited. Yeah, we're excited about I mean, because you get the guy after the draft with that type of talent and speed and athleticism and love for the game and desire to improve, and he has taken advantage of every opportunity he's been given and risen to the challenge. Because Adrian, you know, came in late but adapted quickly to the defense and you know, hated losing Chuck Clark with the injury. But the addition of Adrian has really stabilized the back end for us and it's given us some flexibility and like you're talking about he when when we go big Nickel, Adrian's really comfortable down there. He's a bigger body type who can almost play like a linebacker. So with him and Jordan and then Ashton who's really coming on and as a special teams leader and continuing to grow at safety seen in training camp in the preseason. So feel really good about that the back end of the group.
Speaker 1: No waiver claims. What does what does that say about the depth in the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it means that, you know, we've kind of solidified the roster and we're going to continue to grow and and we've we really looked at the best possibility of of who can we upgrade and we're always going to look to upgrade, but you know, we didn't didn't really see it for the claims. Uh, it felt really good about the guys we had knew we had an opportunity to go get some guys to stabilize for the practice squad who can challenge and so going out and adding those guys, feel really good about it, but hated losing two more guys uh through the waiver water and claim with you know, with Tristan and losing Tristan and then you know Bam Knight going to Detroit with his selection for practice squad. But you know, Claude Cherlist did a really good job for us as well. So moving on to care he's moving on to Carolina with the claim.
Speaker 1: What about the potential running back position with Subrey saw excel and first seven games last year and then you guys come back and you add Dalvin Cook to the group. Michael Carter Roberts said it in the spring, and I think mc has really followed up with this summer where Roberts said, I think he's going to get back to that level that we started seeing at the end of his rookie year. And I think Michael had a really great camp.
Speaker 2: But can you talk.
Speaker 1: About the potential with those guys not only running the football, but Aaron's going to have the ability to hit these guys in the passing game. You guys can exploit a lot of this matches with those dudes on the linebackers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, the top three backs you've talked about with Brice and Dalvin and MC. You know, first of all, MC, you know, carrying the load throughout OTAs and training camp while those guys were coming back and waiting to sign. Dalvin. MC did an incredible job of, you know, providing the leadership for the rest of it because we had a young room at that point with without you know, with Brice being out in Dalvin being out, and MC took that by the reins and was really good within the room. On the field, made gross returned to the guy that we had seen in his rookie year. So really proud of him. But you know, like you said, all three of those guys, in addition to Izzy, the top three guys can all run, block and catch, which which you really look for is he is making the strides in the you know, again he used the typical rookie transition, but but coming from the college game where you're not asked to pass pro as much or maybe not catch the ball as much on third down, he has really made growth with that. And he's obviously talented with the ball in his hands as a runner and with his speed and breakaway ability.
Speaker 1: So how impressive is Cook because you know about his production, but just the way he goes about his business. He's another guy who loves ball and who seems like he's going to fit in seamlessly here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got a real presence to him. Obviously you talk about Aaron, but Alvin has you know, the vet factor, the production, the credibility, the respect. You know, not only from us, but from around the league. You know what type of playmaker he was for Minnesota and he is older guy in the prime of his career, so to speak, and like he's done a really good job. Just watching him interact and give some some subtle communication to Brief or Michael or Izzy or even the other guys before we moved on from them with the cutdowns, it's been great to see him interact with him. How cool is.
Speaker 1: The mix between your veteran leaders and also the young guys who are coming into a culture that continues to be I guess I don't want to say created, because it's already started. I mean, it's well underway, but it seems like you guys get the roster exactly where you would want it at this point of the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really been been cool because you talk about some of those vets that we've added with not only Aaron, but you know, Billy Turner and within the offensive line room coming from outside in another VET presence and west Schweitz or another VET presence. Then each one of the rooms has now like Randall Cobb, Randall's come in right and taking taking a lot of guys under his wing, you know, specifically with Xavier being in the slot and he can teach him some details of it and what you know, his experience that Xavier can lean on. And then then you have Dalvin and you know, defensive side, we've we've done the same thing. So every room there's a VET leader who has kind of taken over and helped the other guy because we got young guys who lead to right and so you know, the blend of the VET leadership and the and the youth and the youth movement across the the roster has been cool to watch those guys.
Speaker 1: What do you think about the expectations you go about, Yeah, your business and you're out there in the street and people are stopping you. I mean it feels a little bit differently. Heading the twenty twenty three than it has the past couple of years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, you hear, you hear the outside noise, so to speak. But what I think we've continued to focus on is what are weekly expectations. Let's focus on that. Let's focus on who's our upcoming opponent. Don't talk about down the line, you know, all that's in the distance. And if we handle everything in a weekly expectation and that opponent, then everything else will take care of itself.
Speaker 1: What do you think about that Week one opponent, They've won the last three AFC's Division crowns. When you saw the schedule, yeah, the last game of opening weekend Jets Bills. What do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, First and foremost, it's going to be an electric environment. I mean, I think our fan base, they're incredible, and not only just being at home on nine to eleven that's going to amp it up even more because of that, but the fact that it's Buffalo that we're opening up with, and how we've had some really good battles in the last couple of years and how we split last year. I think it's going to be a wild, wild scene, and I know that our fans are going to be hyped the team's going to be hyped for it, and it's gonna be a fun game to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is gonna be a fun one to watch. It's always fun catching up with you.
Speaker 2: Thanks for coming.
Speaker 1: By the studio here and uh we wish you good luck as you start
Speaker 2: Seasoning LESCo Jets.