Speaker 1: Hey, I'm Norah Jones and today I'm re loving playing along with Mayvas Staples. I'm just playing long wezy, I'm just playing in lone weazy. Hey, I'm Nora and with me as always Sarah, Oda. Hi, this was the third episode we released back in October twenty twenty two. That's crazy, third episode ever. This was so fun. I just love Mavis so much. Just some updates. She released her album Sad and Beautiful World in November twenty twenty five, with two tracks earning Grammy wins in twenty twenty six, and she continues to tour through the summer and fall of twenty twenty six with select US and international dates. So be sure to go visit her website Mayviastaples dot com see if she's performing near you, because you do not want to miss it. She's the best. She's incredible, She's still incredible. She's just the best.
Speaker 2: Don't miss it.
Speaker 1: So here's the episode. Today's show is so fun to record and pretty emotional. I don't know how you felt about it, Oda, but for me, it was very very special.
Speaker 3: I feel like Mayvis Staples is a force, but like a very sweet, tender, loving, huggable force.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, like, yeah, she's just an amazing human. She is full of love and we love her.
Speaker 3: You cannot be in a bad mood when she's in the room.
Speaker 1: No, And we talk about that a little in this episode, about her, her energy and where it comes from. Mayva Staples, of course, was part of the Staples Singers.
Speaker 3: Mavis and her family were iconic throughout the Civil rights movement. Her father was friends with doctor Martin Luther King Junior, and they performed at rallies and protests before his speeches. They inspired people when people needed it the most.
Speaker 1: We enjoyed talking to Mavis about her family and the dynamic of the Staples Singers, Pops, and of course now she's also a solo artist in her own right. She's influenced so many people. Everybody loves her and aside from the incredible music that she.
Speaker 3: Makes, all the stories that come along with the history she's had and the people she's encountered along the way. I mean, I could just listen to her talk all day long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talk about all this and we sing several songs together, some that I didn't even know we were going to sing in this episode, So that was really fun. She just goes with it at all times, and that's what's so fun about being around Mavis. I met her for the first time in twenty ten when we were both honoring Paul McCartney at the Kennedy Center Honors and she saw me. We talk about this too, but she saw me and she took my hand and she said, oh, hey, you be my daughter.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: She just hugged me, and I was just, you know, pure love ever since then. So I was so honored that Mavis could join me and we could play songs together and reconnect. It's been a long time since I'd seen her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And we recorded this episode at Jeff Tweety's studio in Chicago called The Loft, and start off by talking about a song that he wrote for her called You Are Not Alone.
Speaker 1: I hope you enjoy.
Speaker 2: So that's the Mayvous corner.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that when I was here.
Speaker 2: You do have a corner, I don't.
Speaker 1: I've been all over the nooks, even in the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I tell you I got my first Grammy from here.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, You're not Alone. I was from a staple thing just Mayvis. Uh huh, Yeah, that was my favorite.
Speaker 1: That's what the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: It is beautiful, and you and I got down on it too in the Apollo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was hoping we could start with it actually, just to warm us up. Yeah, okay, no problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know the words to that.
Speaker 1: Did whenever he brought it to you, were you moved by the lyrics?
Speaker 2: I was just and see what he did. He was writing it right here in the studio and I was standing over him, and he got through that first verse and I chill bumps came up, you know, and all of a sudden he stopped. I'm waiting for him to go into the second verse, and he stopped, and I said, what you doing. He says, I need more time, more time, he said. I said, oh, tweety, And he said, I'm gonna have it for you tomorrow. I gotta take it home. I'm gonna have for you tomorrow. I said, okay, tweet. But he gave me the part of the melody, and I laid with that the night that I before tonight, I was at home, and when I came in the next day, he laid it on men. I tell you, it just it just hit me. And because at that time you know I was feeling alone really yeah. I had lost my sister, my oldest sister, and and uh my other sister was sick, you know. So the song hit me. You know it was for me. It was for me.
Speaker 1: It feels made for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was made for me. And uh, I love it. We sing it every show. We don't go off the stage without singing You're not alone.
Speaker 1: I've heard you sing this many many times. Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: The audience was around the house singing it really well.
Speaker 1: If you feel alone.
Speaker 2: No, I don't really alone. I just love the song. I'm doing okay now see I got you, babe.
Speaker 1: I love you.
Speaker 2: I love you two little girl.
Speaker 1: Let's try it.
Speaker 4: You want to try it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love.
Speaker 1: The thing I love about this song is how there's harmony the whole way through, and it has that not alone feeling it does.
Speaker 2: It's so beautiful and it just and and and it makes you feel it's so much better, makes you feel like you're just telling the truth. You're not alone. I know you're not alone. And I tell you people people love it. People as soon as we hit it, they go kbang, it's the best hit it.
Speaker 6: You're not alone.
Speaker 4: With you.
Speaker 2: Alone? What's that song? Cany song got you?
Speaker 7: A broken heart, a broken home? I slayed and afraid.
Speaker 2: Open up. This is a raise.
Speaker 8: I want to get it through you.
Speaker 4: You're not a loan, You're not alone.
Speaker 9: Here the read night, I.
Speaker 2: Stand in your place.
Speaker 9: Here the read.
Speaker 5: Whateverythace taste the same.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 7: A broken dream, a broken.
Speaker 6: Heart, I slay it.
Speaker 2: And afraid open up. This is ray. I want to get it through you.
Speaker 10: Your not lone, an open hand, an open heart.
Speaker 11: There's no need to be afraid enough.
Speaker 2: This is raid.
Speaker 6: Won'ta get it to you.
Speaker 2: You're not alone? No no, I won't to get.
Speaker 9: It through to.
Speaker 1: You're not alone.
Speaker 2: No no, I'm going.
Speaker 8: To get it through to you, not alone.
Speaker 2: Help me, Oh my god, shelp me. That was pretty thanks. Oh that's a beautiful you are. So you played all that. There was notes and that and that dumb that dream and that beautiful, so beautiful tweety, A broken dream, a broken heart.
Speaker 4: It hurts, It hurts over.
Speaker 1: I just love it so much, and I loved Jeff.
Speaker 2: I was so glad you're saying that with me.
Speaker 1: At the Apollo that was really fun.
Speaker 2: And at first they couldn't find the piano.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I played it on a world it'zir right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I prayed, I said, didn't want to get hurt, and here they go.
Speaker 1: You prayed for a piano for me. Yeah, I'm honored.
Speaker 2: Yes, indeed, that was really fun.
Speaker 1: That was your birthday.
Speaker 2: It was my idea. That's crazy. Check that out. Wow, you helped me celebrate my birthday.
Speaker 1: That was the second time, because I was with you in Newport on one of your birthdays at the folk festival.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that must have been. That must have been my seven.
Speaker 1: Year probably, I think I don't know. I can't remember.
Speaker 2: I stopped trying to remember.
Speaker 1: I don't remember how old I am. Sometimes I get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but but but who cares.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't feel like any different.
Speaker 1: I feel like we're buds and where this could be the same age or you know what I mean. Like it doesn't my god doesn't feel it doesn't feel very different.
Speaker 2: It doesn't feel very different.
Speaker 1: Though you've gotten more experienced than me.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, yes, and I.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm I'm I'm the old girl. I'm just I'm the seniors. I'm the golden girl, But I'm hanging with young blood.
Speaker 1: You are, and people love you. Young people love you.
Speaker 2: That makes me feel it's you know.
Speaker 1: You walk into the room and you make me feel young. I don't know, you just bring the sunshine with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really makes me feel good that the young adults. I have one friend who works at Columbia College over here, and she teaches, you know, she she just music and she tells her students, uh stories, and she lets me know. She says, maybes, these kids love you. These kids, Uh no, you don't know Hermit Terry hermittt No. Yeah, but she she tells me all the time, and it makes me feel so good.
Speaker 1: They do though, they love you so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well see they see that I'm a kid too, you are I am?
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never grown up. In my heart, I'm still a little kid, you know. And I just I just I love to play, I love to sing. I just love people. So I love babies. Yeah, Oh man, are you take everybody's.
Speaker 1: Bab Are you good with them?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 2: We get on a plane and and and and I always take this little bottle of bubbles with me. And if some baby is going to cry on that plane, and I wait on it. When I hear baby cry, I get my bubbles out, find the baby and I started blowing bubbles and the baby looks at the bubbles. Mama, be so happy that I came along. Yeah, what I'm Bubbles.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's your nickname, right, that's my nickname.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Who gave you that nickname?
Speaker 4: Mother?
Speaker 1: Really? Since you're a little girl, since you were little?
Speaker 2: No, not, It wasn't until I was about I wasn't thirty yet. I was in my twenties, okay, and uh, I asked, I said, Mama, why you call me bubbles? She said, maybe it's because you're so bubbly. You're just always so happy. You just you know, you just came out that way. I came that way.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask that, yeah, where that comes from. But I think people who have that just are like that.
Speaker 2: I'm just happy, go lucky all the time.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 1: Well, that's a great way to be.
Speaker 2: It really is. And I'm grateful because but every now and then I'll let something get on my nerve. But it's got to be strong, yeah, you know, because most of the time I overlook it. Whatever, you know, if it was supposed to get on my nerve. I can overlook it and stay happy.
Speaker 1: You know, I'll take some of that, please, Can I have some of that's.
Speaker 2: Free of charge.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty happy in general. But I'm not a bubbly person, you know what I mean. Like I don't bring the sunshine into every room, but I don't get too sad. Usually I'm pretty even.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have my moment, don't realize it. But you do bring the sunshine.
Speaker 1: Well that's kind of you. But I mean, and when I'm talking about you bring in the sunshine, you're on a hole.
Speaker 2: Well, I come in noisy, noisy cruise. Yeah, you know. But yeah, And and Prince used to tell me, you said, Mayavies, you're talking too loud.
Speaker 1: Really, what a thing to say, he would be.
Speaker 2: I was grateful though, because alsover reflect told me then really, but I've always thought, you know, there were five of us children in the house. Yeah, And if you want to be heard, you gotta let your voice be heard. I was just I come from a noisy crew, just like I.
Speaker 1: Say, Allah family, noisy, that's what it's about, right.
Speaker 2: Right, And I'm I'm just grateful. I know I should talk softer and saved my.
Speaker 1: I think at this point, you're good. Did they say that out of concern for your singing voice? Yeah, oh okay, yeah, I mean I get that, but if it hadn't been a problem yet, right then, right.
Speaker 2: I'm not talking about all my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think it's gonna be a problem.
Speaker 2: But I guess they were just used to being around people who talked under their voice.
Speaker 1: Yes, and now I was surprised his voice, so Mayavis Prince. He had a little speaking voice, right, yeah. I met him once, but he did he and he was very soft spoken. He was, he was, and he observed a lot, right yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah. I took him to I said, Brians, it's just gonna have to make you my son. Al right, Bavies, I'll be your son. And I loved hear him talk because his voice was just raw. Yeah, you know, but when he sing, you know, it was a heavy voice when he sing too, but to talk. I saw him do an interview with Arsenio Hall one time, and man, his voice or Senior was shocked. He was shocked too. But some people talk in a different voice than they sing.
Speaker 1: My kids told me that when they hear my voice singing, they think I sound different. When I'm just home, you know, yeah, you telling them to.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they tell you said, yes, your boy, your singing voice is very mellow and sweet and soft and and and you you could make a person hurt themselves because you just you just calm you down. You said. When I first heard.
Speaker 1: What's the name, oh don't know why, I don't know why.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When I first don't know, don't know why. I was around the house doing something and that came on the radio, and I stopped whatever I was doing. I had to stop and listen. And then the next time, I said, it's a beautiful song. Next time I heard it, Uh, I saw you. You were on television and I was walking around the house again. The TV was on and you came on and I said, it's a song I saw you. I said, oh my goodness, started singing it, and it's just been one of my favorites all time. Thank you.
Speaker 1: My friend Jesse Harris wrote that song. Really, he was in my band and he wrote the song.
Speaker 2: I thought you wrote it.
Speaker 1: Sometimes people think I wrote it. But I wrote a few songs on that album, but I didn't really get deep into songwriting until a little bit later.
Speaker 2: Is that right, Yeah, well, you sing it like you wrote it.
Speaker 1: I think you have to, don't you. You have to feel like you own the song to really deliver it, even if you didn't come up with it right. And that's what you do with the Jeff Twitty song. Yes, and that's what you do with every song. I mean, really do what you have to do?
Speaker 2: You really do. You've got to from your heart. Yeah, it's got to come from your heart if you you want to deliver it and you want people to get it and feel it and react from it the way you have That's what's the way you gotta do.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 2: Pop's always told me. We were in New York one time about I was about thirteen years old, and these kids sing before us and they were just jumping all across the stage and singing loud. So when it was time for us to sing, I did that, yeah, and my father snatched me off the stage. He said, what is wrong with you? Made Wow? He said, what are you doing? I said, I'm just singing.
Speaker 12: Dad.
Speaker 2: He said, maybe let me tell you something. You don't your music don't need a gimmick. You don't need a gimmick. You know, you sing from your heart. Sing what comes from the heart, reaches the heart. And that's the way I've never forgotten it, never, you know. And he said, you don't be you don't have to clown. You don't need to give me. I was drying the kids. They were jumping across the stage. Yeah, singing loud and uh, he says, the uh. You singing sacred music. You don't need any gimmick, singing from your heart. If you sing from your heart, you'll reach the people.
Speaker 1: I agree with that. I also, I think his voice also had that mellow, easy going.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He wasn't trying to sing over anybody, but you had to lean in to hear it.
Speaker 3: And then it hit.
Speaker 2: You right right. And you're the same way. You know. You laid back. I don't know, I don't know why, but you are. I'm just so proud to know you, a little lad.
Speaker 1: I'm proud to know you. I met you at the Kennedy Center for the first time. Yeah, and you took my hands and you saw I was nervous.
Speaker 2: I remember, you.
Speaker 1: Knew I was nervous.
Speaker 2: I knew you. Yeah, you can tell. I could tell.
Speaker 1: So you took me and you held me.
Speaker 2: Did said, I got to protect this little girl.
Speaker 1: I was like, what am I doing here?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I came on down there and got you have just stand right by me and we held hands all through that finale.
Speaker 1: Yes, that was so fun and it was so special meeting you there.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that was a good time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was.
Speaker 2: A good time. Anytime I see your name, I flare up. You know that could go either way. And I was seeing you. I was seeing you so much like you told me yesterday, said that was Christmas. But Christmas needed you. I was, it really needed you.
Speaker 1: You know what I needed Christmas last year, and that's why I made a Christmas album because I needed I needed a little joyful something to feel right good.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad you made that album because they were a feature in you all week, all day, every hour.
Speaker 1: Under again it's a Christmas exhaustion.
Speaker 2: Oh it was beautiful.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: We recorded the song from Your Christmas The Staples Singers Christmas album we did the twenty fifth day of December.
Speaker 2: Did you.
Speaker 1: I'll send it to you. It wasn't It wasn't on the album, but it was a bonus track. Oh please, I didn't feel like we made it. It was so Your version is so good. It was hard to beat it. But it's great. It's still a great version, and it's a great I loved your I listen to your Christmas album.
Speaker 2: A lot, really record, Yeah really, and that was so many years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, but it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful album. And and and Pops he wrote the song there was a Star he did. Yeah, he wrote that and uh, oh my god. You for a long time, you couldn't find it. We couldn't find it.
Speaker 1: Oh, they had to reissue it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And and the Blind Boys they did some songs from that album. But I got it here twenty fifty. That was my favorite. It was maybewhere my table to May, July all good, September, October, No, it was last money the years.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, fifth day of December.
Speaker 2: Did I leave it or not?
Speaker 1: I mean I kept saying when we were recording it, I kept saying the twenty second, twenty first day of December, just because it rolled off my tongue right, and my drummer Brian, but he goes, Nora. I think that's when Larry, you gotta get right. It's the twenty fifth day in December, not the twenty first day.
Speaker 4: Jesus birthday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't get that one right, No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and props brought that. Tell me when was Jesus burn, last Mone of the year. When was in Jesus.
Speaker 9: Born, last mon of the year?
Speaker 2: When one bone.
Speaker 6: Last mon?
Speaker 3: Yead?
Speaker 2: You got January? Sidyway my.
Speaker 6: June to lie?
Speaker 2: Oh good, septill Myctober.
Speaker 12: No, it was twenty fifth delty sam boy.
Speaker 4: It was the last money.
Speaker 2: Born by the Virgin Mary.
Speaker 6: Last money.
Speaker 13: He was born by the Virgin Mary. Last money born by the Virgin Mary.
Speaker 9: Last money.
Speaker 2: We got January?
Speaker 6: Uh huh, February, yeah, May, June.
Speaker 2: July all good, September No, No, it was the twenty fifth de d somebody it was.
Speaker 4: The last money.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 6: Thought it was fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was fun.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. Yeah, well we're having Christmas today.
Speaker 1: That's right. I love the end of that song, last Mother the so how low can you go? How low can you go?
Speaker 2: I didn't go down? Oh my god, I didn't go down. Whoa how low can you go? I can go down very low?
Speaker 1: That is amazing. But did you you like that when you were younger?
Speaker 2: You know, my voice was so heavy always, and I get I take it from my mother and my grandmother. They had strong voices, but I would Yeah. When I was a kid, it was my voice is higher. Now when I get my tonsils removed, Oh really, it got higher. Yeah that's so weird. Oh yeah, I be. I would fight. Kids would tell me you sound like a boy.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And when we started traveling, if I called down for breakfast, the lady would say yes, mister Staples, yes, sir. And I heard it so much the less time. I said I'm a lady and they said, oh, I'm sorry, you know, but yeah, it's always been. Uh, I've always had a heavy voice. And and I used to sing bass our first record, you know Sten Well the will the Willow who that's insane?
Speaker 1: And how old were you?
Speaker 2: I was a kid. I was like like nine years old.
Speaker 1: That's when uncloudy Day came.
Speaker 2: Oh no, and cloudy Day came when I was thirteen twelve thirteen. But but they wanted to record us when I was a kid, and Pops wouldn't allow it. The president of VJ Records, Vivian Carter, she called Daddy. She said, she says, stay those kids, y'all need to be on record, And Pop said, well, Vivian, I don't know nothing about those records, you know, he was all of us were green. We didn't, you know. And he said, I'm not gonna let my children get on those records.
Speaker 1: He was afraid because you were too young, right, he didn't.
Speaker 2: Know what business of it.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And my sister Yvonne, she would go, she would and got books. She got this big read book, this business and music. She learned. She helped him a lot.
Speaker 9: Really.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, she got that book and help you guys figure out. That's incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she sure did. She stayed right with him, you know, booking and and she taught him a lot. But also people like the Solisters and and uh sister Maya Jackson, they were already recording and they would tell Daddy different things, you know, they would tell him, you know, what to do and how.
Speaker 1: To do and watch out for this.
Speaker 2: So when I was about twelve, Pops called Vivian and told her. He said, okay, Vivian, we'll make that recognized that my children.
Speaker 1: And after he'd read the book, yeah, yeah, he felt good.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, Pops. Pops didn't know, you know, we didn't we were just singing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He used to sing with an all male group six guys, and these guys wouldn't come to rehearsal, so possibly be frustrated. He'd come home mad.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 2: He came home that third time and he went in the closet, pulled out a little guitar that he had. We didn't even know he had a guitar.
Speaker 1: He couldn't play it.
Speaker 2: He could play it. He couldn't have all the strings, but he could make it sound good. And he told my aunt Katy, he said, I'm gonna sing with my children. He called all of us into the living room, sit us down on the floor in the circle, and begin giving us voices that he and his sisters and brothers used to sing when they were in Mississippi.
Speaker 1: That's incredible.
Speaker 2: People thought we were old people when we were We would go places and they just knew we were old. They heard us, and because because we had a little radio fifteen minute radio show Sunday morning and we were singing, and they thought we were old people. Because Pops, we were singing those old voices like his sisters and brothers. We would walk in little stairsteps and he said, that's the stables singing.
Speaker 1: Its old already.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but that's yeah, he would give us those voices, and and that's how we started singing. My aunt Katie lived with us, okay, and she came through one night. She says, y'all sound pretty good.
Speaker 1: And my church son, had you already been singing in church your whole lives?
Speaker 2: No, yeah, we've been singing. We hadn't do as the family, we hadn't been singing in church. We didn't start. We started doing programs at churches. But but uh, my sister and brother were in the young people's choir. I was too young to go.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, so you didn't really sing much until he started doing that.
Speaker 2: Until he started us singing, what's your order?
Speaker 1: There's five of you kids, I'm you're the baby. Yeah, okay, bubbles, I get it now.
Speaker 2: Yeah I'm the baby. Oh no, Cynthia, I was the baby for twelve years. Oh wow. And my baby sister came along, and you know, I didn't like how did that? I didn't like that I would be putting diapers on that baby and I stick up. Mama said maybe you were sticking that. I said, no, ma'am, mama. But Cynthia and I became the best of friends. We became the I called her blessed and she called me Rabil. She couldn't say my name Rabel, and and uh oh, but she was, uh yeah, she was, she was. I told Papa, I said, we got to put Cynthia. She would sing songs with us when we were in Chicago at the different churches, you know. But yes, Cynthia. And see, Mama and Daddy, they were just my mother was heavy set, so I never knew she was pregnant, you know.
Speaker 1: She just happened.
Speaker 2: I didn't know where this baby came from. And they told me, h to'stify me. Uh because when my mother came home, she didn't bring the baby. She had to leave the baby there. And and and and Mama said, you go with with with Roebuck, get to pick up the baby. I said, what baby? Baby?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: And uh and they started telling me that we had this baby. And so they let me name her. They did, Oh yeah, Cynthia Marie, that's.
Speaker 11: Her.
Speaker 2: Oh boy. And see because what happened. My father he would he would he wouldn't, he wouldn't pass me up. He goes straight to that baby of bed or wherever she was. And and blowing he used to blow in my stomach, make me laugh, tore me up in the air when he'd come from work and all that stopped. Oh yeah, and and so somebody should have been around to talk to him, let him know he was supposed to keep doing that.
Speaker 1: That's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I grew up an only child, so it's like just I can't even imagine what it was like being in a family, Like.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, yeah, it was good being in them. We we uh, we would have we would disagree, we didn't have any We fussed sometimes, but Mama would tell us, don't do that. You have to love your sister, and and that's your sister. And you all make up apologizing me up. But you know, Yvonne and Cleatye they would do most.
Speaker 9: Of the argience.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, because they were the close older they were.
Speaker 2: That makes sense, yea.
Speaker 1: Whenever you guys were traveling, when how old were you when you started really traveling around and touring?
Speaker 2: I guess, but oh yes, we were touring.
Speaker 1: We were How old were you in that start?
Speaker 2: I was, I was like about thirteen. Wow, the day was a hit.
Speaker 1: It was a hit, and you were thirteen years old?
Speaker 2: Uncoudy day this woman called pop, she says, Staples this record is selling like an R and B. And it turned out that it was the first gospel record to sell a million. That's insane.
Speaker 9: It was.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was the first gospel and and and uh. But but we would we would be We would go to down South, we would go to Milwaukee, Gary, all around Chicago and sing and and people would bet the disc jockey when we want to New Orleans, Memphis. The dis jockey would get on the radio and say, this is little Mayvid Staple. This little girl is singing this. People would bet that I was not a little.
Speaker 1: Girl, yeah, because you had that deep I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying, well, well, will oh, yeah, lord, they tell me now, and I got a home at home, and can you know I'm a little girl, a little skinny girl.
Speaker 1: And you're short now, so you're probably I was shorter.
Speaker 2: I was even shorter. But but but yeah, they would bet. And what we would do, we would fool the people. We would sing Uncody Dady down in harmony. Whoa They tell me all of that and then get to the end of it, and I come in with will will will oh. So what happened was my brother At that people would be sitting on they been all of these people that bet that I am not a little girl, And all of a sudden, perverse move my brother like he's gonna say, and you'd hear the people. I told you that wasn't no little girl. I told you that one and I'm easy. Then how easy it to the mic? And they look up and it's really a little girls? Oh, we had so much fun with that.
Speaker 1: But that's so fun travel with your family. Did it ever get sticky?
Speaker 4: Nah?
Speaker 2: No, you always anything, even throughout. So he got older, all of it, all of it. The only only thing Evonne Clete would argue about saying was what to wear. One of them wanted to wear this, and one of them wanted to wear that. And because you know my brother, he left the group in nineteen sixty nine. It hurt me so bad, really, because Purvis and I we had this clap. Nobody could do that clap the way we would, and he just got grown a man, you know me, and they get tired of doing what their father tell them to do. You know, he wanted to be his own man. Because Pop's are asking. Pop said, perr, you sure you don't want to just take a leave of accident, No, daddy, Nope, I quit done, and just as he quit, I'll take you there hit. Oh, and his friends would would mess with him. He go into one of their bars or whatever, and they put a quard in the juke box and play take You There. Said, y'all shouldn't do that jo. Yeah, but he did, all right, he he he managed the emotions for a while.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, So he got into the business.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, he was still in the business. Yeah, he was still in the other side of it, right right. They were. They were gospel singers at first, and they were our little friends, the Hutchison Sunbeams, and they wanted to sing R and B. And so that's when Purvis took them down the stacks, got him a choreographer, tarts steps. They had some hits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but that's amazing. I mean, it's amazing to me how close you guys stayed and that there was let you know, there could have been a lot of drama there.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah, but but but but my mother wouldn't allow it. Mama and daddy. You know, they just taught us. They they taught us. We grew up loving one.
Speaker 1: That's so special though, and it's really feels unique and I don't know. You an only child, but I do have a half sister who's two years younger than me. But we both grew up separately, so we didn't know each other till we were a little older. Oh wow, but yeah, only child. That sounds like a party to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god. Yeah, because some are you spoiled? Of course you are. I don't know.
Speaker 1: But if you ask my mother, she would tell you a different answer.
Speaker 2: Well, you know I met your mom. Yeah you did. Yeah.
Speaker 1: She's very tall. Yeah, oh man, she is tall. She's tall, yeah, and I'm short. She's five to ten. I'm five to one. Yeah, So I didn't really I might have been spoiled, but I never messed with her like I was a good kid, because I didn't. I wanted to get mad.
Speaker 2: She was so Yeah, she was tough, and by her being so tall, you said, I've been I messed with her. Yeah, but all you had to do was leap up.
Speaker 1: Oh I don't think that would have flown with her.
Speaker 2: You did the right thing. Listen to my mom knows best. I try, Yeah, you try.
Speaker 9: Try.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Oh.
Speaker 1: Man, I was wondering, do you remember the first song you sang with Pops when he was teaching you.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. The very first song my father taught us was what the Circle Beyond?
Speaker 4: Ah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that the Circle be broke? And all that was his faith. And on our records we recorded it about four or five times. But on the records, Pops is singing, and I love to hear Pop singing because he was so smooth. You know, he was a singer like you. He he was laid back. Look. Slid Stone came to Pops one day and said, hey, Pap, give me the bag. And Pap say what you're talking about? He said, come on, mom, give.
Speaker 8: Me the bag.
Speaker 2: I know you got it.
Speaker 1: Because he was so laid back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they thought and purpose my brother had to tell Daddy what this lid was talking about. And Pop he says, like, you come, I'm gonna choke you boy. You know I don't do that.
Speaker 1: Mass too funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, it was so funny. Yeah, because they would all talk about how laid back Pop sing, you know, and and his voice is just flowed.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But when he he taught us circle be unbroken and and and we have sang it. We sang it with Johnny Cash on his television show that it was the state, both family and the Carter family. That was years ago.
Speaker 1: That must have been fun.
Speaker 2: It was fun. Yeah. It was for one of one of his specials, you.
Speaker 1: Know those TV special Yeah.
Speaker 12: I love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but but and I sing it all that's on my on my list, on our shoulders and perhaps maybe uh, because we look at us as a family, that's our circle. And he put us in a circle when he started giving us the voices to sing.
Speaker 1: It was I can just picture it. You're sitting down circle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna sing some of it for you. You sing it to you know, I don't know what k I sing in.
Speaker 4: Now you know that I was thinking.
Speaker 2: I was stand too low?
Speaker 1: Is that too low?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: That's good?
Speaker 4: What you say?
Speaker 2: Key that is? That's g okay, that's a shame. I don't know what key I sing at.
Speaker 1: I know it's not probably changed over the years.
Speaker 2: I'd probably a Yeah, I sing in some different keys though, in our shoulders. But it's all right. I don't need to know what ye say.
Speaker 1: I can do it in any key.
Speaker 4: You just tell me.
Speaker 2: Oh, no, you were I think that was good. I was signing and that's where you were.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And.
Speaker 2: On a cold and cloud any day when I saw the hers come rolling or too caring, Ma moa the away, well the circle.
Speaker 9: Be ut.
Speaker 2: By and by lord, by and bye.
Speaker 9: Here's a bed.
Speaker 6: Hod away.
Speaker 9: In the sky.
Speaker 2: Lord the scout wo told the under take lease, drive slow cause it's lady.
Speaker 6: That you haul land. Oh why.
Speaker 2: To see her go?
Speaker 4: Will the circus.
Speaker 2: Being broke by and by my lord, bye bye.
Speaker 9: There's a bed.
Speaker 6: Home away.
Speaker 5: In the sky, Lord in the sky.
Speaker 6: I will follow.
Speaker 14: Close behind her, try to hold up and be brave, but I could not.
Speaker 6: On my side role.
Speaker 2: Winner laid her in the grain.
Speaker 9: With the circle.
Speaker 2: Beyon broken.
Speaker 9: By and by lord, bye and bye.
Speaker 4: There's a bad.
Speaker 6: Oh my way.
Speaker 5: In the sky, low in the sky, in the sky, love him the sky.
Speaker 4: In the sky, low in the.
Speaker 5: Sky.
Speaker 4: Oh you sound just like Cleedie.
Speaker 2: Oh really, oh yeah, I heard Cleedy in your voice. Girl, don't stop me to cry. I tell you my sister Kleedie. She had the best best soprano voice.
Speaker 1: Really, so you were low and she was high.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so you come from And I credit her for the Staples singer sound. Really oh yeah, oh wow. She would shot and look Aretha would be recording and she tell her sister Carolyn. Now, Carolyn, I want to sound like cleother. Oh wow, that's amazing. Yeah, and and and Carolyn was saying, Carolyn told me about it. She said, Mayabe's I told her I can't sound.
Speaker 1: Like cleop because she was mad about it.
Speaker 9: Mad.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but it's a different Pops would give clearly like a minor. She would go like, I know what I'm talking about. No, I know, minor in some places. And but her voice if you on all of our old stuff where Cleedie is singing, her voice stands out. And and and her her surprise. And Pops his guitar, that's the staple singers.
Speaker 1: I love his guitar so much.
Speaker 2: And he cool taught himself.
Speaker 1: Well that's what's good about it. It's just feeling. It's simple, but it's it's got the thing. That's what it's got, the sound feeling. Right, When did he how did he get that electric sound? Do you know how that came about?
Speaker 11: Pop?
Speaker 2: I remember when he got that tremolo, because.
Speaker 1: That wasn't typical then, no gospel music.
Speaker 2: No, and and and and some preachers, some preachers didn't want Pops to play his guitar in the church, and Pops had to let him know, Look, you read your Bible, string instruments, saying the Bible, you know the heart. The Pop would name them all. I guess, uh, what's that other one? I can't call the name of it. But but but and and and we just wouldn't go to the church if they wouldn't let Pops play his guitar. But he learned from a blues man, Charlie Patton. Okay, see he Pops was on this farm, Patrick Practice Farm in Mississippi, and this man was hollering with a lot of the blues singers were on this this farm, and and and uh, Pops would tell us how this man, Charlie Patton would be playing. And look, we didn't know for years. While we were singing gospel, our father was playing the blues on his caduc Yeah, that's what it is.
Speaker 1: It's the marriage of those two things. And that made it so unique, right right right.
Speaker 2: But he he he, He went to the guitar store one day and he came back with this trimlod. He said, y'all listen, listen to this, and he was drum and Elvis presently told me one time, the first time the only time I ever saw him, and the first time I ever saw we were in Memphis and I was standing on the side. It was a starlight review outside and I was standing over in the wing, and all of a sudden he come in with one of his partners. They got these leather jackets on, like they've been riding motorcycles, and and and we had sang and and uh. He told me, he said, I like the way your father played that guitar. I said, well, thank you. He said, yeah, he plays a nervous guitar. A nervous guitar. He called it a nervous guitar.
Speaker 9: What does that mean?
Speaker 1: Because of them, that was.
Speaker 2: A good expression. I said, well, I've never heard that before, a nervous guitar. Yeah, that's what I'll never forget. And that was my meeting with Elvis Presley. I didn't know who was one of the guys, David Ruffin who sing who later sang with the Temptation. He was singing with a gospel. He told me, he said, Maye, you know that guy what you was talking to. I said no. He said, blue sways shoes.
Speaker 1: I said, that's him, that's him.
Speaker 2: That's the way he would let me know because of blue swey shoes. Wow, but yeah, Pops played a nervous guitar.
Speaker 1: Did he laugh at that description?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Did he laugh? He did he laugh? He told me maybe, why didn't you call me over to let me me? I said, dadd I didn't really know.
Speaker 9: Who he was.
Speaker 2: I was just a David told me who he was. Yeah, that was beautiful. That's a good expression of him though. Of Pops is guitar nurvous guitar because it does.
Speaker 1: That's just the funniest thing I've heard.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but but yeah, Daddy, that's that's when he learned how to play his guitar. And he was always playing it in the house, you know, after he let us know we had a guitar, because we didn't know until those guys wouldn't come to rehearsal, and he he probably probably wouldn't be any Staples singers if they had they had.
Speaker 1: Come to hear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I thank them wow for being not not there, not not serious about this. They were the trumpet too, and they had a good group too. Possole sing lead and uh and Pops had a voice. He would he he never went into his false settle on the staple singers that, Oh yeah, he would go and he would tell me what how they do it up in Heaven today? And then he goes pee therebye there like a river. They say, oh possible bad. Yeah. And I recorded a song with tweety that's what are they doing in heaven. I'm not singing it like Pops though. Well that's okay.
Speaker 1: You sing like you.
Speaker 2: I sing like me. I sing like me. I'm so grateful to be talking to you, little lady.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: You you are. You are so different from anybody else out here. Really, yeah, nobody sounds like you. Nobody. Well get me up, break but that's what you show.
Speaker 1: But that's what you want, right to be.
Speaker 2: To be different yet right, But but I'm just honored.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 2: I never thought I would meet you. When I first heard you on the radio, don't know, I said, listen to who is she?
Speaker 9: Who is she?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm still figuring it out.
Speaker 2: Yes, well no, well you you are a giant. You a tiny little lady. You are a giant. I tell you, I love it. And when I came to your show in the Red Rocks, Yeah, we did.
Speaker 1: A show together.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, that was fun. I started it off I warmed them up for you.
Speaker 1: You killed it, and I was nervous to go on. I was, of course ill.
Speaker 2: Those people, all those people that came out for you, and and and I noticed you were doing some songs that I hadn't heard, and every time you would hit one of those songs, the crowd would roar.
Speaker 1: That's so funny, that's what Well, that's one of my favorite audiences at Red Rocks, and they're always very loving. You play there many times, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, we have we have oh with different people. Yours was the best.
Speaker 1: We had fun. We have fun. We had recorded a song together that Pete Ran wrote. I don't know if you remember it, but I was wondering if you feel like trying it.
Speaker 2: Oh, it'll come to me as you go, because I I I that's been a while. What happened? Anyway? We were supposed to go on tour with that.
Speaker 1: So we were gonna go on tour and then the pandemic hit. Yeah, we were gonna do a bunch of shows together.
Speaker 2: Yes, I remember. I was so happy.
Speaker 9: Me too.
Speaker 2: Oh man, we will again. We're gonna do it again. Yeah, really, we will just do it again. We do it again and set it up. You set it up.
Speaker 9: There's a place.
Speaker 14: Five from here.
Speaker 9: Going to make it mine.
Speaker 11: Swear I've belong where I again, where I'm going.
Speaker 2: I'll be gone. I'll be gone.
Speaker 9: Where my heart.
Speaker 2: Get so tired that I candy tail time.
Speaker 9: Don't you cri.
Speaker 2: Where I get.
Speaker 6: Where I'm going, I'll.
Speaker 9: Be go, I'll be go.
Speaker 2: Whish I could tell you that the.
Speaker 15: Sun was gonna shine. I got a feeling that I stiff.
Speaker 1: Won't change my mind.
Speaker 9: Running out of the tide. There's a place.
Speaker 2: On the mountain you can take my bones.
Speaker 9: I go home.
Speaker 6: When I get where I'm going, I'll be gone.
Speaker 2: I'll be gone. I gotta tell you that it's all going to be just fly.
Speaker 16: I don't want to waste anymore of your time. You didn't waste mind.
Speaker 2: Oh now you don't about a beautiful song.
Speaker 1: It's a beautiful songs. He wrote this a long time ago, really, yeah, I mean maybe eight years nine years ago.
Speaker 2: And yeah.
Speaker 1: At one point he mentioned, gosh, it would be cool to hear maybe us sing this song. I was like, you're right, But you know, I'm a little shy sometimes I have a hard time reaching out and asking.
Speaker 2: To do things. But don't be that way with me. Okay, now you know it don't come to me anytime but anything.
Speaker 1: But it came full circle, but not for like five more years. And then and then I got unshy and I asked you to sing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I was so that that blew my mind.
Speaker 1: I said, oh, wow, it's a great one.
Speaker 2: That's what I wish. I could play up anything.
Speaker 1: And you never picked anything up.
Speaker 2: I picked up the guitar.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I told Pops I wanted to play that guitar. And he tried to teach me, but he didn't. He wasn't taught either. So and and then it was a time when Pops was still frisky. I was young.
Speaker 1: What does that mean.
Speaker 2: I mean he wasn't ready to patient.
Speaker 1: I think I took it the wrong way.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't man going out on mama. Yeah, you know that's that's frisky. But no, he just wasn't patient enough. So he gave me about he got me a little training guitar, and he gave me about three lessons and he was done. He said, maybe I'll tell you what, baby, You go down to Lion Healey And I'm eleven years old. I don't know how to go downtown to Liney Healey.
Speaker 1: To buy it to get lessons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, to get lessons from them. And I told him, I said, Daddy, I want to pick it like you and Sister Rose other talk. I don't want to, you know, but but if I had learned, if I had learned how to strum, I think that would have made it easier for him to teach me. You know, to pick.
Speaker 1: Picking is harder, harder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I know that's but, but but I would have been happy strumming.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 1: I wanted to ask you about when you guys met doctor Martin Luther King and you kind of switched from singing gospel to these freedom songs protest songs. I read something about Pops meeting him and saying he wants to sing his words. That is the most beautiful thing I've heard.
Speaker 2: That was something. Yeah, Pops, he it just happened. We were in Montgomery, Alabama on Sunday morning. We didn't have to work until that night, and Pops called my sisters and I to his room and he told us, he said, listen, y'all, this man Martin is here, Martin Luther King, and he has a church here. He said, I've been listening to him on the radio. Doctor King had a radio show and Pops has been listening to him, and he said, I'd like to go to his eleven o'clock service. Do you all want to go? We said, yeah, Daddy, we want to go. We all got in the car, went down the decks to have a new Baptist church and we will ushered in and see it. Someone let Doctor King know that we were in the service, and he acknowledged us. He said, we've got to have POPA Staples and his daughter's here this morning. Hope you enjoyed the service. Well, we enjoyed the service, and that as the service is over, the worshipers, Doctor King stands at the door to shake the worshiper's hands as they filed out, and Pops walked past shook his hand. Now, my sisters and I did first we shoot, We shoot Doctor King. Oh that was a feeling. I shook his hand and Pops we had to wait on him. He stood there and talked to him for a while. He finally came on. We get back to the hotel. He called us to his room again and he said, listen, y'all, I like this man's message. I really like his message, and I think that if he can preach it, we can sing it.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 2: And we started writing freedom songs, March up Freedom Highway? Why am I Treated So Bad? We we we we we switched over because we didn't feel that it was anything wrong. We felt like this was close to gospel. You know, we singing the truth, you know, we we we what we wanna, we want. We joined the movement and and uh we would sing. We would sing before Doctor King would speak. We'd go to the meetings and Doctor King would tell pop, stay, you're gonna sing my song that night, right, probably say oh yeah, Doctor, were gonna sing your song? Why am I Treated So Bad? Yeah? That was his favorite. And and and and people asked me what did he He never talked to us girls. He never sit down, and he would just he would just say something, how you girls doing this morning? Y'all doing all right? Yes, sir Doctor King. Wow. But but he wouldn't sit in the hold he would talk. People asked me, what did he talk to you about? What he didn't talk to me?
Speaker 12: You know?
Speaker 2: But what what I did remember mostly Doctor King was his laughter. He had this laughter when he laughed because most of the time I would see him, he either looked sad or serious, you know, And and when I'd hear him laugh, that would make my heart happy, because I said, doctor King is happy. And that would be most of the time when we'd be going to the meeting and the men would be in a huddle down in the parking lot, and all of a sudden, you hear doctor King laughing. That made me feel so good. But no, he never held a conversation with my sisters and I. He was just asking that. He said the same way every time, are you girls doing this morning?
Speaker 15: Wow?
Speaker 1: How much older was he? You were young?
Speaker 2: Still?
Speaker 8: I was young?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: How young were you then?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm just I was well in the sixties sixty This was like about sixty three, nineteen sixty three, So I was born in thirty nine. I'm not good at math.
Speaker 1: You were in your you were in your early twenties, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was in my early twenties.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And but but that was when we joined the movement and we became the soundtrack you did.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Un Congressman John Lewis would tell, oh, he was my friend. Now he was my friend, And I went to his office when I did a freedom album with Ray Koto, and I asked him if he would write my liner notes, and he said, Baby, you know you and your family y'all kept us motivated, kept us inspired to keep on watching your songs. I said, yes, sir doctor, because after surprise he remembered me. Yeah, I said you, Doug. I hadn't seen him in the year, and uh, I was surprised that gave me a meeting. And of course he remembered he didn't remember me, baby, your family, and and so he I hate I missed his birthday, invited me to his last birthday party and I couldn't go. We will working, you know, But but he was my friend to the end. Yeah, Congressman John Lewis.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful, Uncle John, Uncle John. When you guys were writing songs, was everybody was collectively just sort of pitching in. Did Pops always yeah? Was he did he ever work on songwriting, like on his own all the time?
Speaker 2: Or yeah?
Speaker 9: He did.
Speaker 2: Pops was always jotting something down, you know, and and we would help him. We would put some words in on this song. But but that's Daddy's so we don't want any credit for Okay, right, we give him to Daddy, all of us.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Yeah, we.
Speaker 2: We dropped dropped birds and he march of Freedom's Highway. Made up my mind and I won't turn around, made up mine. And there's this one thing I can't understand, my friend, that I'm proud of that because that was me. Why some folks think freedom was not designed for all men? There are so many people living their life perplexed, wondering in their minds, what's going to happen next? HASPI we're going to march?
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 2: That was the very first one we wrote for the movement. And boy, we moved only and and uh we were saying that. We sing, oh why am I treating so bad? Pops wrote that because of the there were nine children in Little Rock, Arkansas, trying to integrate Central High School. They would meet people. They kids would walk up there every day their books in their arms, proud, and people would throw stones at them, spit at them, call them names, but they never turned their head. They just kept walking. Oh and they were my age, they were, you know. So we would all be on the floor, Pops in his recliner and were watching the news. It ca got so bad, and it lasted so long. The mayor of Arkansas, of Little Rock, the governor of Arkansas, and the President of the United States said, let those children go to school.
Speaker 6: And WHOA.
Speaker 2: I wanted to we all wanted to see this on the news. That particular day, the kids were walking. They get right up to the bus and the policeman put his billy club across the door, and Pop said right there, and he said, how why is he doing that? Why are they treating him so bad? Yeah, And he wrote that song from that that experience. I tell you, we have had a baby's sister I have. I have seen a lot. I have seen a lot, and and it just makes me more prayerful and more willing to sing my songs, you know, because I I don't have to sing love. I don't have to be like everybody else. I've seen protest songs. I seem to help us move.
Speaker 1: It forward, moving forward, right, moving it forward right, and we're still going.
Speaker 2: We're still on.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I owe it to Pops. I owe it to my father.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 2: We went to South Africa and these people wanted us to sing, want of the black people to be in the balcony Johannesburg and Pops told him. He said, no, I'm gonna allow my children to sing like he said, Doctor King just got that straightened out in the States, and we're not gonna sing like that. They said, Now you can send us home, do what you got to do. We're not singing like So they moved our show to the soccer field and so waito, wow, it's a wait, it's all it's all black. Uh, you know, this is where the people live in little match boxes. And it was the very first time that blacks and white sit together, no kind of I mean that that soccer field was backed yeah, and and black and white were sitting right next to each other. And but they had these I've never seen a German shepherd dog so big. The bit the police was walking around with them, you know, I guess for just in case something went wrong. But it was peaceful. But see, during that time, they wouldn't let us go up downtown by ourselves.
Speaker 1: That must have been hard to go at all.
Speaker 2: It was, Yeah, they wouldn't allow it. The kids will tell me, maybe we will call you, we will come see you. If they call my my my calls would go to the white girls room. She would be there and she would. She would take us, and she wouldn't let the kids talk to me. They wouldn't let them in the hotel. That it was very educational, very beautiful experience and intense, intense, intense.
Speaker 1: Yes, you've been on tour though since the pandemic a lot. You've got the tour in these little pockets, and I'm really excited to hear that I haven't had all yet. What I just haven't not since the the COVID started. Oh okay, you know, I'm excited that you're out there doing it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm going everywhere you're going and with books now going through November.
Speaker 1: You're doing a tour with Bonnie Ray the Center.
Speaker 2: I always do it.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: That'll be my third tour.
Speaker 1: You've known her a long time, right, Oh, yes, she's great. You know that's going to be a show, I tell you.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's always good show.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But I used to be tell us of Bonnie. My father loved hers so much. You're jealousy, and I told us, I said, look, I didn't know if I should get some red hair, or if I should learn how to play to get tired, or if I should get real tiny because Pops loved, and she loved. She came to see. She came to the house and Seapop when he was sick. Wow, and Bonnie took me so bad. Pops went upstairs. He wasn't feeling good, and he went upstairs to lie down. She followed him. She sit on the bed and she said, now nobody can tell me I haven't been in a pop stable bed.
Speaker 1: That's Bonnie, Yeah, that's Bonnie.
Speaker 2: It was funny, Yeah, it's funny, but it was so good. Made possibeel so much better. He gave her a guitar. He had to get there and all of us were there. We sang, that's beautiful.
Speaker 8: It was it was.
Speaker 1: Isn't it something? How music keeps you going? Yes, it really keeps. Yes, it keeps you young, It keeps you young, keeps and it's healing and it brings joy.
Speaker 2: And right and we can't do without music.
Speaker 1: I know, no way, I get that feeling from you.
Speaker 12: Yeah you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm passing on. But well, I tell you, yours brought me so much. I wish Pops could hear you.
Speaker 1: Oh, I wish I could play watch him play guitar a person.
Speaker 2: You know what he would do. He would tell me that's the way. Oh no, that's you know who else.
Speaker 1: You know who else gave me that feeling always was Levon Helm.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he gave me that feeling where he just it was just all music and it kept him going and just you know, oh man, And I remember the first time I saw you on TV was watching The Weight on the Last Walls and I thought, my goodness, she is beautiful and she's.
Speaker 6: Smoking all of that.
Speaker 2: I couldn't believe it. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I was just like, and you looked six feet tall, and you look so tall, look so tall?
Speaker 2: You do lone black gown?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was beautiful.
Speaker 2: Oh man.
Speaker 1: I mean I'd heard you singing my whole life, but it was the first time I zero it in visually.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that was nice.
Speaker 1: I know you had our long friendship with Levon.
Speaker 2: Oh lord, yeah, Levon. I have an album coming out with Levonne. Wow and and and uh we we did it at his barn and he was right next to me and with them drums. But but I tell you about that when we when we were doing Las Watch, Levonne was smoking and Pops went back to we had a break Levon, Pops go back. They were tight buddies. Levon and Pop said, Levon, man, you smoking two cigarettes? He had a cigarette and Levonne said, all you gotta try this one.
Speaker 1: I don't think they were the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were not the same. Papa said, Levon, man, I don't think that mess, but that that Daddy laughed about that forever. He laughed about that. But yeah, Levonne, that was the best time because we stayed there about a week. We you know, we would go back to the bar every day from the hotel.
Speaker 1: And making the record. Yeah, so when did you make it? About ten years ago?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yeah, yes, because I was going to say, look, are you all going to release this record? Am I going to be? Didn't gone or what? But yeah, they it's coming I think in May.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, yeah, I can't wait to hear it.
Speaker 2: It's been a long time.
Speaker 1: And I love it, you know that he's gone, especially, it'll be so special.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And Amy, Amy helped, you know. I told her to tell her about it. I said, Amy, didn't need to release the record. Yeah, you know, we'd end up in age and we might leave here me. So she said, they got it going good. But yeah, that was that was a proud Time.
Speaker 1: Did you do what the songs? Did you do with leve On? Did you do all old songs?
Speaker 2: Did you do that.
Speaker 1: Nina Simone version? That's a Billy Taylor song, isn't it. I wish I knew how it would feel to be free?
Speaker 2: That's a Billy Taylor song.
Speaker 1: That's what my my my phone said when I googled it, because I mean the Nina version is. But I think it's that Billy Taylor wrote it, really, and I it's so funny. I saw him play. Yeah, and when I was in high school, and I didn't realize that. Yeah, but yeah, that's a great song. Did you record that with Levan?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I wish I knew. And and we recorded Trouble in Mine? Oh, I love that one in mine? Yeah, and and uh oh I love some Nina Nina.
Speaker 9: Did you know her?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 2: Well yeah, yes, And she was someone I met whose voice was heavier than mine. Yes, and boy she was. I saw her first saw her in the village gate and she had on all white. She was playing that piano and and and all of the people.
Speaker 9: Damn.
Speaker 2: She stopped and stood up. Do you people have cotton in your ears? Whoa? She told them off because they were talking you have cotton in your ears, And I said, whoa go on, sister. But yeah, we got to know. We got to be very good friends.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 2: We were in the Bahamas though. Last time I saw her we were in the Bahamas, and then she moved to New Guinea where Miriam mckibo was and uh, she passed away over there. But baby's sister, we were in New Guinea, don't you know. These little guys they were in the auditorium where we were singing. They wanted to have a coup against the president of somebody, oh God. And we got to the show and we're standing at the door, Pops and my sister and I and this man is saying that's all we could understand was you know, and and he was telling them. So they still came in with the guns and they stood on the side of the stage in the wings where we were, and as I was singing, I would look over there a little bit and it would be just dancing.
Speaker 1: That is crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, y'all, don't scared us to death.
Speaker 1: You have gone to some wild times places you've you've had it.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, So we made it through that one that.
Speaker 1: I do have one more question, if you feel comfortable talking about it. Yeah, I was curious about songwriting and the story you told me yesterday. Yeah, that broke my heart.
Speaker 2: You know, it's been so long ago that I'm I'm surprised I even brought it up. I mean, I don't know somebody said something about songwriting and but and it did this man. You know, I had written my three songs and and he was at Stax Records. He wanted all of my publishing. And I'm telling him on the phone, telling him, no, I'm singing twelve songs on the album. You know, you take all that pubblish but mine. My father's always taught me I should get one hundred percent of my writers and publishing. And that's and he talked to me like, all right, miss Stables, all right, I understand, yes, all right, we'll do as you'd like. And I'm thinking I've won. Yeah, the record come out and and it's on a different label or something, and uh, it's me singing. And then they have songwriter unknown and a song you wrote. Yeah, the songs that I wrote. And I said, well, you know, it was so long ago, you know, no need of me trying to fix this now. But that broke my heart.
Speaker 1: And you didn't write after that.
Speaker 2: I didn't write anymore songs.
Speaker 1: But that's that's the sad part. But but you still make all songs your own. Yeah, yeah, yeah, but that's just you know, that stuff happened so much. Yeah back then.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a shame the way people are treated. You know, it's not just me, you know. I'm sure the record business has.
Speaker 1: Been tricky, tricky, tricky, tricky, but it was much trickier back then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, way back. That was and and and and I was doing stuff. You know, I was afraid because I was these were these were secular songs, and and and you do something secular against the gospel stuff. I was lucky. I don't know how it happened. I recorded house is not a Home. I recorded a sect and and the church people didn't say nothing about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you you got in trouble for that.
Speaker 2: I could have got, but they didn't. You know what they messed with I'll take you there. They wanted to put us out of church. Wow, they say, the stables singers and singing the devil's music. Wow, the devil's music. I said, you all. You gotta listen to our lyrics. They heard this beat and then the people would jump up and dance. And I'll take you there, you know, because but up until I'll take you there, we just sang with my father's guitar. We didn't have no rhythm section. We just sing with dad his guitar. And and but when this rhythm section came on, I'll take you there. That look we're telling you, I know a place. Ain't nobody crying. I mean, ain't nobody world.
Speaker 1: That's a gospel songs.
Speaker 2: I've taken you to Hell? Yeah, I mean and and lo and behold. After all the interviews we did talking to these people, they invited us back to church. We go back to church. The first song requested in the pool bit I'll take you there. You know what I said. You know you just don't know what to do to please people. It's true.
Speaker 1: That's why you gotta just speak your truth, sing your truth right, and spread some love. Spread love, put out love, yes, put it out there, and that's what you do.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna keep on doing it.
Speaker 1: You are my favorite fall of love.
Speaker 2: You, my little sweetheart. I love you so much.
Speaker 1: Do you have one more song in you? Or can I play? Can I play you a song? And you chime in if you want?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we'll end it.
Speaker 1: We can.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: The the album Pops made the album, uh that song friendship, Oh yes, and then Jeff and the crew they kind of fixed it up right and and recorded all recorded like you weren't happy with it, and it never got that's right.
Speaker 2: And Tweety did all that for for Pop's album. That was that's his last work, and I wanted it. I wanted to put it out there, but I wanted to put it out properly and write.
Speaker 1: And so he re recorded all the stuff that was you weren't happy with right, Yes, he took the tracks of Pops and you guys singing, and I.
Speaker 2: Was so pleased. I come up in here to listen and tears just flowed. Yeah. You know, my sister Vaughn and I we we came to check it out. Thank you, Jeff Tweety.
Speaker 1: It's a beautiful recording and it's a great song. That's a pop song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it's a good song.
Speaker 1: It's a really good song. Say watch wrong my longtime friend, Something's.
Speaker 9: Bothering you.
Speaker 4: Tell me what the problem is.
Speaker 2: I see what I can do.
Speaker 4: There's a times we disagree.
Speaker 9: We agree more than we don't.
Speaker 1: We won't always see I do, but we will more than we want this.
Speaker 17: We got friendship, the kind of last life time.
Speaker 2: Through all the timeships. You know you're a friend of mind.
Speaker 17: We got friendship, the kind of last life time.
Speaker 4: Through all thus hardships.
Speaker 2: You know you're a friend of mine.
Speaker 1: You want to sing one, Oh burn up.
Speaker 12: Talk to me, oh parle of mine. If you feel you can't go home, don't you swept.
Speaker 9: It ain't over yet.
Speaker 2: This spawn with ship y strong.
Speaker 6: I've been a well you.
Speaker 1: Are right now.
Speaker 2: You saw me through it all. I lean on you now you can lean on me. I bet I want lady your fall because we got friendship kind of lasts a life time through all the hardship. You know you're a friend of mine.
Speaker 17: Because we got fast ship, the kind of lasts life time.
Speaker 2: Through all those hardships. You know you're a friend of mine.
Speaker 1: If you're on the street, I take your hat.
Speaker 2: Hungry, I'll give you you food.
Speaker 1: If it's money you.
Speaker 2: Need, I got some saved. If you're sick, I'll.
Speaker 3: Visit you.
Speaker 1: I've been with you all right.
Speaker 9: Now you saw me through it all.
Speaker 2: I'll lean on you now you can lean on me. I won't let you fall because we.
Speaker 4: Got friend ship, the kind of last life time.
Speaker 7: Through all those hardships, you know you a friend of mine.
Speaker 17: We got friendship, the kind of last life time.
Speaker 4: Through all those hors.
Speaker 2: Ships, poor you know you're a friend of mine.
Speaker 5: Through all the hard ships.
Speaker 2: You know you're a friend of mine, through all the hard shops, you know you're a friend o mine. I had to fight. That came from Crime Girl. I love that song and I love you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for thanks for talking with me.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy. I'm so happy you invited me. I've never done one of these. What do you call it a podcast?
Speaker 1: Podcast? Well, I'm honored that you joined me. Thank you, babes. You are loved by all who know you ask for everything always, I hope, so thank you.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Just playing alone, Thanks for listening to the show that was made for Staple.
Speaker 3: It's incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a fun way.
Speaker 3: I just want her to call me and tell me everything's going to be okay. I believe her. We should just call her.
Speaker 1: Hey, can you tell me everything's gonna be okay. I'm sure she probably needs to hear it too. Sometimes it's true, Yeah, it's true, she is not alone. In fact, let's let's wrap this up so we can go call her. How much thanks for listening to the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Our show was recorded by Mark Greenberg at The Loft in Chicago, mixed by Jamie Landry and additional engineering by Greg Toebler, produced by Me and Sarah Oda Sarah Oda, and photography by Shervin Linnez. Artwork by Eliza Fry. Additional recording by Matt Marinelli, Audio post production and mastering by Greg Tobler. Executive producers Aaron wan Kaufman and Jordan Runtog, Marketing lead Alison Kantre Greeber.
Speaker 2: See you Later,