Speaker 1: And welcome back to another edition of Is this a Great Game?
Speaker 2: Or What?
Speaker 1: With the Hall of Famer Tim Kirkchen. I'm his son, Jeff Kirkchhen. Dad, we're in the basement because today's my birthday. You're visiting.
Speaker 3: That is so great. How old are you today? You're thirty three years old today, Jeff. I cannot believe. And I'm so proud of the of the young man you've turned out to be. This is We've had the greatest weekend here. Why don't you tell everyone while we're at it, let let's recall birthday number twenty one. You want to do it or you want to do it?
Speaker 1: Okay, So birthday twenty one, we were at the Outer Banks, as we do. It was a family tradition around this time, and uh, we went to a bar naturally, as one does, and amazingly, all the adults stayed up till midnight. Dad, I'm thirty three. I haven't stayed up till midnight in years at this point, but stayed up till midnight, went to the bar, and at eleven fifty nine turns midnight. We walk into the bar and my dad looks at me and goes, all right, Well, it's time, son, Can I buy you a beer? And I looked at you and I said, how about a shot? Well at that point I realized he's had a beer before. Right now, I was at a shot before. Now I found out he's had more shots in Steph Curry.
Speaker 3: But I didn't know that. But Jeff, yeah, that was a great night and your birthday. We had your big celebration on Friday night, which was great, even though they closed down your favorite Mexican restaur Listen.
Speaker 1: So there's this great Mexican restaurant in one town over from me that listen. It's just great food, great. It's not the most romantic place, it's not the most fancy place, but.
Speaker 3: You picked it.
Speaker 1: I love this place. And we did my birthday there two years ago. So here we are. We put my in laws, my parents, my two kids, and my wife and two different cars were driving down and we pull up and says its opening soon this other rest.
Speaker 3: Borge.
Speaker 1: But we did eat at a cool spot in skip Back, Pennsylvania, Basta Pasta. I've eaten there one hundred times and it is it was so delicious, so great. He had two bottles of wine like it was a very special evening to reminisce. And I'm so lucky because today Sunday, August ninth, is my birthday. Monday, August tenth, Day of Release is my daughter's third birthday. And so and I'm not trying to be funny and I'm not trying to play victim, but now because my daughter, you guys are gonna be in town for like every one of my birthdays, which as an adult, most adults can't say that their parents come into town when they're in their thirties or forties, right, right.
Speaker 3: And Jeff, yesterday, of course Saturday, we're taping here on Sunday for today's team. Tim has something to do with your birthday August the ninth, right, special little occasion there. But yesterday, August the eighth, we celebrated McKinley Hope's birthday here.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: How many people were here for her birthday? She's three?
Speaker 1: She's three.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, we just moved into a neighborhood with like one hundred families. I mean, it's like the greatest thing ever. So, I mean we had I think our number was like thirty adults and fifteen kids. There were like fifty people. He's like the size of some people's weddings.
Speaker 3: I think, yes, I think. I asked the question, is this their third birth? There is this a wedding. That's how much food we had and cakes and everything else.
Speaker 1: Well, just like every other wedding, we had Costco pizza and a blow up bouncy house. Every wedding has it.
Speaker 3: Giant castle of the backyard.
Speaker 1: It was cool.
Speaker 3: And Jeff built the whole swing set by himself, twenty man houts.
Speaker 1: You see how many kids were on that swing set.
Speaker 3: Jeff, was that not?
Speaker 1: I mean, I've never related to dad's more than when you have that moment when your hard work pays off, right. And I looked at kids climbing, jumping up and down, all of her friends on her playground, and I said, my wife was right. I didn't want a playground. We have a playground across the street in the neighborhood. So it's by across the street. I mean, it's one hundred yards away. And I said, why do we another one? And I found out yesterday why right?
Speaker 3: And then we set up a tent that took four adult males and set up a tent in the backyard. But it was great.
Speaker 1: We figured it out.
Speaker 3: And then when we closed up the tent and put it back and it's holder Chris from next door. We had a high five because we got it back.
Speaker 1: Into the It was a miracle, right, And then we played maybe the most intense game of cornhull Logged did the cornhole game last? I mean, I couldn't see. We had to turn our and I respectfully, Dad, listen, my eyes are not the same as they were ten years ago. You're going to be seventy this year. I had trouble seeing the board, so I recommended let's put in. You're my partner, so I said, I don't know how he's seeing, and he doesn't want to admit it, but I put the light, my phone light hovering over the board so we could at least see where the bag is going.
Speaker 3: Loggedd one game to twenty one teen. Keep in mind we went over twenty one. I didn't even know this was a rule yet in twenty one exactly. So we went back to thirteen.
Speaker 1: But that game to at least an hour, right, Oh, I mean it felt like it, that's for sure. And two resets back to thirteen, and then the most unceremonious win in the history of cornhole. We did the math incorrectly briefly, and we go, oh wait, we won after all that.
Speaker 3: We didn't even know.
Speaker 1: We didn't even know we won.
Speaker 3: Right, So then this morning, so again we're taping on August the ninth, your birthday. We opened up McKinley's presence, right and the president that well, Mom and I got her at several presents, but the one that came specifically for me was one of these little cameras that you could take a picture and then the print out comes out and all that. So that was the first present she opened up was a pink camera from pop Up. The second present she opened up was a pink camera for somebody else, one of the chances. There were twenty presents for her, the first two the same thing.
Speaker 1: It's so funny. I mean, great minds think alike. So that gift was great, Dad, and she's taken picture and it's one it's like what's old is new? It like prints out the photo for you, just like the old Polaroid. But then when you realize you can put an SD card in there and you got to charge it with a USB C charger, then the technology takes over. It was great and for my birthday today, what I'm planning on doing is adding garage storage to my walls, because that was a You're.
Speaker 3: Going to do that on your birthday.
Speaker 1: That's all I want, really, and that's what I got you music in my garage whilst hanging things, while keeping my garage more and more organized. That's what I want to do for my birthday. And then Phillies baseball Sunday afternoon. I said, I don't need the kids to be out of the house. I don't even need the kids to be off the couch. I just I just I want to be not taken away from the room that the Phillies are on. Does that make sense?
Speaker 3: That's great, And Jeff, just stay inside today because it's going to be another one of those unbelievable, my gosh and human days. Jeff, Yesterday, yesterday it was so hot. Yesterday I saw a dog chasing a cat and they were both walking. That's how hot it was yesterday.
Speaker 1: It was bad.
Speaker 3: Stay inside, watch baseball on your thirty third birthday, and all kidding side, Jeff, I'm so proud of you. This has been such a great weekend and this is the first time we've done the podcast actually on your birthday.
Speaker 1: So there, I know, I know, and Dad, I mean, this really is special because this is our third year of the podcast. I'm now thirty three years old. My daughter turned three. Babe Ruth is the greatest baseball player of all time. He wore number three, and.
Speaker 3: Who's the greatest number thirty three of all time baseball? We went over this.
Speaker 1: Last we went over this, but I still have to. I meant to tell you a lot of people are still I put the social media clip up of Warren Spawn versus Vertical Mene and they're still angry, the people, but they're angry for other reasons. They said, how could you ever consider anybody but Warren Spawn? And then some people were saying it's vertical mane you moron right.
Speaker 3: I told you it is a great question that all it does is anger people, and that's.
Speaker 1: What our show is all about. Oh no, it's not what our shows. What we're here, That's what I have to say.
Speaker 3: Dad.
Speaker 1: You know, we had a bunch of neighbors and we're gonna we're gonna end. We're gonna go into baseball. I promise, I promise, I promise, our promise. But we had a bunch of neighbors over for my my daughter's birthday, and a lot of baseball fans, right, Dad, A lot of fans of baseball were over at our house. And the funniest part is half of them didn't even know my dad was Sim Kirkshon, which makes for a very funny conversation when they walk in and go, happy birthday. Mckinn Is that Sim birksh What is going on here? But Dad, nonetheless, you know this podcast. I'm so proud to tell people about it. Not that I'm not proud to tell them about the radio show I work for or anything like that, but because you know, we're gonna have this for the rest of our lives. Like we're not planning on going anywhere anytime soon. Let's make it known. But like Dad, this is something really special. We're creating these memories on YouTube and on on our social media and all of that, and I think that makes a very, very big difference for people because we get to share our love of the game and our love of being a father and son together, which is really really great.
Speaker 3: It was a great party yesterday. I want you to have the greatest birthday ever today, and we just move on from there.
Speaker 4: I know this is a busy time of year for many of you, including AJ. When you're home, you need everything to get done fast with quality.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, That's why Factor Meals are perfect for me. Ready in two minutes, healthy, pre made protein, all the things I like, vegetables, They're all mixed into one and it's quick, easy cleanup. Don boom, I'm full, Move on to the next task.
Speaker 4: No prep, no cleanup. Every week, you'll find over one hundred nutrient dense menu items to choose from and new options like salmon burgers, shredded pork, and much more. Plus add on Jill crave like pumpkin flavored cheesecake and protein shakes. Let's eat real. Head to factormeals dot com slash foul fifty off. Use code foul five zero off to get fifty percent off and one free breakfast item per box for one year while supplies last until ten thirty one twenty six. That's code foul fifty off at Factor meals dot com Foul fifty off Factor Meals dot Com see website for more details.
Speaker 1: All right, dad, let's jump in to the takeaways across Major League Baseball. What do you have for us?
Speaker 3: Well, the Red Sox won the other night, twelve to eleven in thirteen innings, Jeff, and that gave them twenty seven wins in their last thirty games, twenty seven and three. This is a team that I've said many times was thirty two and forty six with no hope of making playoffs, and then they reeled off twenty seven out of thirty wins. That's the seventh team since in the last one hundred years to have a twenty seven and three stretch. The last team to do that was the two thousand and seventeen then Indians. And then the interesting part, Jeff, is I find this fascinating. The next day they lost to the Age, who had lost nine games in a row and the Red Sox had won nine games in a row. No, and the last since two thousand, five times has a team that's lost nine in a row faced a team that's won five in a row nine in a row, and all five times the nine losses in a row team won. No. Yes, how about that?
Speaker 1: Wait, that's incredible. So since nine game winning streak, nine game losing.
Speaker 3: Streak five times since two thousand, every single.
Speaker 1: Time it becomes no winning streaks and no losing streaks five and zero. What, that's incredible. That never happens. Never happens, because you see the stats too. Of course, it's like when you're in the playoffs, it's like teams that lead two to zero or three to zero, one hundred and sixty two and oh or whatever. So that's crazy, right.
Speaker 3: So, Jeff, that twelve to eleven game. I remember when I used to do the beat, Jeff. I used to tell you when I would you know, I've covering a team every day, and if a game happened that I knew might lead to something really big or really bad, it was called a circle game. Well, this is the ultimate circle game for the Red Sox. I mean, they were already in a position now, but you circle that twelve to eleven game because they became the first team in history to score in five consecutive innings in the ninth inning or later. Oh my god, Jeff, look, we all understand, and we're not going to rain on that parade because it was one of the greatest games I've ever seen. But it really helps. Since you get a runner on second base to start with nobody out to start all those innings, Does that take away from it. We have to mention that, But does that take away from it at all for you? Given what the Red Sox are doing, what's happening at Fenway.
Speaker 1: No, it's so special. And a good friend of mine, Austin Pollock, who who currently lives in Nashville as a reporter, he went back to Boston He's from the area, and went to a Boston Red Sox game because he had to go. He said, the energy surrounding this team right now, he planned a trip just to go to a Socks game. Oh yeah, I mean, I guess his White's bridal shower was there too, But he made it sound like, right, I gotta go see the Socks because the energy surrounding that team in Fenway Park is I mean, I'm hearing from friends and family it's next level because of this exciting run.
Speaker 3: Right, it is so good. It's so good for baseball because you know, East Coast buys all that stuff. Look, any team that wins twenty seven out of thirty, that's pretty darn impressive. But when it's the Red Sox and when they were that bad, really, and I don't think I've ever seen an in season turnaround quite like this one. It has been absolutely fat.
Speaker 1: It's been very fun to watch.
Speaker 3: All right. So, Jeff, Max schus Are struck out for yesterday on Saturday. So what happened to mac shuers are Now that he struck out four more batters?
Speaker 1: Who did he pass on the list?
Speaker 3: Well you got to figure that out, Jeff, Jeff.
Speaker 1: I can't remember, Jeff, Come on, Walter Johnson? Yeah, no, stop it, Jeff.
Speaker 3: Really, three thousand, five hundred and sixteen strikeouts. Max Schurzer just passed Walter Johnson into tenth place all time on the strikeout list. I ever tell you I went to Walter Johnson High School? You know how many people wrote in this week? We had two. I think we had two different people who wrote in they went to a high school or a middle school named after somebody named Johnson. I think, sorry, I should have looked this up. I think I think one of them was Fletcher Johnson Junior High and the guy wrote, did I ever tell you?
Speaker 5: I went to.
Speaker 3: Fletcher Johnson Junior High? So Max Schurzer has finally replaced Walter Johnson all time strikeout lists. Pretty cool, that is pretty He gotta get w J And I've just decided, Jeff, we have to get into every show that we do. It's now a requirement, agreed.
Speaker 1: Well, Dad, we actually redid our set here and I can't help but notice, I mean, who's the old man behind you. That's just like kind of like an old timey baseball guy. We need to get a Walter Johnson thing here in this studio, Joe.
Speaker 3: I know books, I got hats. Well, I'll have to bring this up for the next one.
Speaker 1: We'll find a hat. Yeah, I mean, we've got plenty of Syracuse out of the orange and our brand new great game or what hats by the way, Dad, our great game or what Grab that one up there really fast for me. Okay, So this this hat right here, Okay, you can see it. This is our brand new great game or what hat. And we're going to be selling these coming soon to benefit als and our friend Michael Brown. So this hat, we're not going to make any money on it. We just want to give back to our friend Michael Brown. So make sure to Can you get a detailed and cute and tilted the way it was? It's kind of like leaning on the leaning on the glove a little bit like this, you see this? Yeah, he's not a decorator, folks. But he can do it. He can do it. Yeah, there it is.
Speaker 3: It'll fall down, it'll.
Speaker 1: Fall down during the segment. But anyway, those hats are gonna be for sale soon. So keep your eyes open, keeping in mind while I have a minute, Dad. The Michael Brown event in Potsdown, Pennsylvania Studdybrook Ballroom is August twenty second. I'm gonna put the details in the show notes so you can check it out. It's a live event. It's called a Night with Tim Kirkshen that starts at two pm. Interesting I named it not thinking, oh my gosh, we're doing an afternoon event and I just called it a Night with Tim Kirkshon. Doesn't make any sense. But nonetheless, it's gonna be great chat with Baseball Q and A. There's gonna be great giveaways. It's gonna be a fun time. So come on down. And most importantly, because I understand most people don't live in this area who listen to our show, you can donate. So in the link below there's a donation link. So if you can't make it live, if you donate, we're gonna send you a video of the actual event privately, so it's kind of like a virtual ticket, so to speak. So again, look below, help out our friend Michael Brown because we know he needs that, his family needs it, and we're always here to help those with als. So all right, dad, thanks for letting me do that. Aside, I'm sorry, Okay. A couple other things. Jeff Jordan Walker hit his first home run since winning the home run Derby.
Speaker 3: He'd gone eighty three at bats Jeff without a home run after winning the home run Derby. So that is that sets a record for the longest streak without a home run after the derby by. The Derby winner, Vladimir Guerrero Senior had seventy five at bats without a homer after he won the home run Derby. Jordan Walker finally hit the first one, and people always odd it's a ridiculous excuse. I think there's something to it. James Wood went through a very similar period. Kyle Schwarber has one home run since the home run Derby. So you know, you say, now, it's just baseball. It probably is, but there are too many situations where the home run derby guy has a difficult time hitting homers after the home run Derby.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, it's not quite the Curse of the Man and cover, but there's a little something there because you kind of get your mindset different and then you feel the pressure on the back end and the season to still be that home run hitter.
Speaker 3: Right, Okay. Matt Olsen of the Braves played in his eight hundred and ninety sixth consecutive games. Wow, it's now the eighth longest of all time. He passed Stan Musial on that list. And anytime you can bring up Stan Musial, you do it because it's one of the great players ever, the most underrated superstar for me ever, and one of the great people I've ever met in the game. And Jeff. A lot of honorees this week. Number one Chase Utley Hall of Fame for the Phillies. We watched the tribute that the Phillies do a really good job on this. You were riveted, correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I really think it's so important for these teams to honor their legends, right because Chase Utley, Dad, you and I have discussed this will be a Hall of Famer one day, right, Maybe not next.
Speaker 3: Year, maybe two years. I would say in two years.
Speaker 1: That's your prediction. And I totally agree but you know these when when Eachi Ro went in with Seattle, Randy Johnson and all the it's just so cool because it gets those teams a chance to honor them. Not every fan can travel to Cooperstown, New York. Okay, they don't have a major airport around there. Yeah, no kidding, but you know everybody wishes they could be there for their favorite players inductions, but when you do it at the ballpark, it really really means a lot. And listen, I'm biased because now I'm a fan of that organization because I live outside and I'm raising Philly fans kids. But they do a really good job honoring those players. And no matter what you want to say about the Philadelphia fans, they're rough, they're tough, but they love their team and they know their baseball.
Speaker 3: They're passionate and they're sophisticated. So one of those fans, Colin, who cut your hair? I went to see you get your hair cut the other day. It was like you were six years old again, right, So Colin, your barber is like a huge baseball fan and he's twenty five years old. And I said to him, I said, so, who was your guy growing up? And he went like this, Well, who do you think it was? Jay Sutley? Like it's almost like a given, that's how important he was. I'll just say one thing about Chase Sutley. Nobody played the game more correctly than he did, meaning he understood the competition of the game, and really important, he understood what playing in Philadelphia is all about. Get tough place to play, tough fans, sophisticated fans, passionate fans, and he played to them beautifully because that's how he did everything. He did it properly, he did it correctly, and he did it one hundred percent. So that's Chase Utley for you, absolutely, all right. A couple other things. Ozzie Gean's number thirteen was retired by the Chicago White Sox.
Speaker 1: Oh very cool.
Speaker 3: Ozzie was a great shortstop for the White Sox, tremendous defensively. He managed the White Sox in two thousand and five when they won the World Series, and he started his career with the Padres, and he his best friend with the Padres was John Kruk, who we love so much. So Kruky kind of taught him the ways of things getting in the big leagues and all that, and as Ozzie once told me with that incredibly great accent, he's so funny. He goes, yeah, yeah, yeah, crook. He taught me how to swear. I think Krunky taught him a lot more than that. But good congratulations to Ozzie Gan, and congratulations to Mike Cruco, who is a broadcaster for the Giants. He and Dwayne Kuiper do an absolutely fabulous job broadcasting games for the Giants, and he is retiring at the end of the year. He announces retiring. Mike Cruco was a good Major league pitcher, he's been an even better broadcaster. And he's he you know, he's always has a baseball with him. Jeff, give me that baseball up there. I just love that when he's on the air and he's broadcasting a game, he's always got a ball in his hand because he's more comfortable when he's got a ball in his hand. He's talking. He's not even doing any he's not like explaining anything, like here's how you throw a four steamer. He just loves feeling of having a baseball in his hand. Can you appreciate that, knowing he's a pitcher.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I think It definitely helps him feel and me might subconsciously be of his curveball outside and he's holding it in his curveball grip. I was forcing fastball and he's not doing it, but he's probably subconsciously doing it. And you know, it's like kind of like a fidget spinner, right, you know what the kids are using. It's just something to kind of keep your mind occupied, so you don't you might need something like that because you and I both have wrestless leg syndrome. We're just bouncing legs all day, all day and we have restless wives because of its Damn Jeff, stop it right.
Speaker 3: You've heard that a few times. Yeah, Mike Krugo also has a great sense of humor. I've told you the story before, Jeff, But years and years ago with the Giants, Terry Mulholland caught a comebacker one hopper back to the pitcher and he couldn't get the ball out of his glove. So since he couldn't get it out of the webbing of his glove, he threw his glove to space for Bob Bradley for the out. At first, he threw the whole glove and the out was made so Kruco after the game tells Bob Bradley, you blew it. You should have chucked it around the infield, should have taken the gliging a wall in and it's rolled it around the infield. So yeah, So congratulations at the end of the year to Mike Croukul for retiring.
Speaker 6: Let's talk Fabletics, shall we. They have apparel for every season. We're wearing it as we talk about it. It's soft, it's comfortable. I wear it on the show sometimes on FT. What else do you love about it?
Speaker 5: Crats, Well, I have it on right now and I'm all about quality. But you know what, you know how good your clothes are when you're a parent and your kids keep stealing all of it. My daughter stole the sweatshirt, my son sole one of my t shirts. So it's got to be nice looking.
Speaker 6: And if it gets a little bit chillier then it's layering season and they've got layers for the fall. Shop now at fabletics dot com, slash foul to get seventy to eighty percent off everything when you sign up as a new VIP. Take a quick style quiz and be sure to select foul when prompted to unlock this offer. This is a limited time offer, so do not wait again. That's fabletics dot com slash foul for seventy to eighty percent off everything as a new VIP.
Speaker 1: And this is a.
Speaker 3: Little trickier, Jeff. But Tommy John one of the one of the most underrated pitchers for me in baseball history and a guy who has really changed baseball because they named the Tommy John injury after him. He was the first one to have the surgery. It extended his career. On how many guys have had Tommy John. Oh my gosh s him. But he was supposed to be well. I don't know if he was supposed to go, but he did not go to the Yankees Old Timers game, and he left a note for everyone just saying I will never for get you. I don't know what that means. And I'm not even gonna go there in case something bad is on the way. I'm not going there because I'm not gonna believe that for anything. I just want everyone to know how good Tommy John was. He won two hundred and eighty eight games. He started exactly seven hundred games in his career. Jeff, he had a career era of three point three four. He was one of the great control artists that we've ever seen. He didn't throw hard, but he really knew what he's doing, and he threw forty six shutouts Jeff forty six shutouts. His first shutout was on May Or nineteen sixty four, and the game lasted an hour and thirty four minutes.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's a commissioner's dream right there, and.
Speaker 3: That's without a pitch clock. But he threw strikes. And just like we talked last week about two weeks ago about the three pitch, three out inning, I'm sure Tommy John had a few of those, but best to Tommy John. He should be in the Hall of Fame. Two hundred and eighty eight wins. And let's hope everything is okay there.
Speaker 1: All right, Dad, let's jump into the court gins across Major League Baseball.
Speaker 3: What do you has?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 3: Big birthday weekend, McKinley, hope you and Mike Trout just celebrated his thirty fifth birthday. Wow, and what did he do on his thirty fifth birthday? Jeff head a homer, right, So he's now got six home runs on his birthday, which ties Alex Rodriguez and Mark Reynolds for the most home run six on a player's birthday. Pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's pretty neat.
Speaker 3: Mark Reynolds at two hundred ninety nine homers. Really funny guy, University of Virginia. Really smart guy. And I what's asked about his bizarre career. So many homers, you know, gold gloves, a lot of teams, a lot of homers. And he said, I hold a lot of weird baseball records, and he sure does. But he and Alex Rodriguez and Mike Trout, now most homers on their birthday was six.
Speaker 1: And Dad, I mean, I know it's a little bit disappointing for you because you'd have at least three of them if you weren't born in December.
Speaker 3: It's the off season. You know what I got on my birthday? I got about twenty trips to the Winter meetings on my birthday, maybe thirty. I mean almost every year December tenth is my birthday. Yes, okay, all right. So Kyle Harrison of the Brewers came back Jeff the other day from a you know, a tightness in his forearm. Never a good thing, and he pitched absolutely great. But The kicker was he struck out the last eight batters that he faced in the game. So he only pitched five innings. He struck out ten. Guys only pitched him five because they don't want to overwork on him first game back from an injury. But he's the third pitcher ever to strike out the last eight batters that he faced in any game. Kyle Harrison, Ron Davis, a reliever in nineteen eighty one and the only other guy to strike out eight guys.
Speaker 1: Walter Johnson.
Speaker 3: No, you know this, Jeff. I've used this Strasburg.
Speaker 1: Strasburg.
Speaker 3: Help make Jeff. He's nineteen seventy. You've met him before, Jim Palmer. Can I finish the times? He struck out the last ten batters of the game. Ten Hall of Famer. You met him in the plack room. He wanted to go to camp with you. Jeff helped me.
Speaker 1: Gus Rams, Ramsey and I met now. I always I always get it messed up.
Speaker 3: Tom Sever, So he was the first guy ever to strike out ten consecutive batters. It's been tied several times since Aaron Nola did it, Corn Burns did it. Tom sever struck out the last ten guys of a start in nineteen seventy.
Speaker 1: That's incredible.
Speaker 3: That's incredible. That's pretty good. All right. So the Tigers have had a really interesting year. They're so good and then sometimes they're not. But they just on Saturday had their eighth shutout victory in which they won by eight or more runs. So they've won eight games this year with a shutout, and each an eight of them have come by eight that or more run. Crazy, so who knew. But the record is nine of those in one season, held by the Phillies in eighteen ninety nine and by the Orioles in nineteen sixty nine. So that is just totally bizarre. And by the way, in the sixth inning of that game, I was looking at that game real closely that the I know this happens not all the time, but once in a while. The Tigers did not put a ball in play in the hold inning and scored a run. They had four walks, and they struck out three times, so the whole three true outcome, no ball went and play, but they scored a run. Now, they struck out three times, had four walks, one of which led to a run. So pretty crazy inning that that's baseball.
Speaker 1: Well, I hate to put you on the spot here, but like, would that be considered a no hitter if the only run you gave up was you know, errors, And like.
Speaker 3: Of course it's a no hitter if there's no hits.
Speaker 1: Even if you gave up two runs because you walked a bunch of guys.
Speaker 3: And gave no hitters where teams lost, right and one early nineteen hundred, yeah, one zero no hitter for both teams. Crazy crazy, all right? Speaking of picture chef, Miles Michaels is a little old, but this was deadline issue. Last week we had a pitcher pinch hit in a game. Miles Michaels of the Nationals pinch hit. They put him in there to bunt on a squeeze bunt. He got the runner home and since they threw it to the plate, he reached first base safely, and then he scored in the inning. So a pitcher gets in a bat, gets an RBI and scores a run. And I think it's great because they put a pitcher into the game to bunt. A pitcher, especially a guy who's pitching the National League for a good portion of his career, should understand how to bunt right.
Speaker 1: We got a ton of messages about that. People were freaking out when they saw that happen. Because there's nothing us Kirkschtens love more than Pitcher's batting. We need more of.
Speaker 3: It, right, I agree, so on held Janeau of the Janal of the Guardians, he's one of their top prospects. Made his major league debut. Jeffy got four hits in his major league debut. First member of the Guardian slash Indians to get four hits in his major league debut. It's just unbelievable. It's a very very short list of guys who've gotten four hits in their major league debut. But I found an interest. He also made two errors in his major league debut. I mean he's a third baseman. He made a couple of errors. Who cares, you know? Whatever? So I called Frank from the Alias because no one else would know this. Ray Janssen in nineteen ten was the only other guy in history to get four hits in his major league debut but also make two errors. He actually made three errors. He had four heads and three errors in his major league debut. I love that. And last one, Jeff, I don't know why I'm intrigued by this, But I saw this note the other day and ESPN notes stats and trends that Shoheo Tani grounded into a double play with the bases loaded and it was only the second time in his career that he's done that, So I got curious. So he's played nine years, he's only grounded in a double play with the bases loaded one other time, so now it's two. But the answer is Bobasheed has forty three at bats in his career with the bases loaded and less than two outs and has no grounded in double plays in that situation, and that's the most among most played appearances basses loaded less than two outs without grounding into a double play. Did any of that make sense? Now?
Speaker 1: I totally followed all of it, and nothing's more upsetting. I think the worst stat you can get at the end of the season, besides leading the league in strikeouts, is leading the league in GIDP. That's a bad feeling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But Jeff, as I've explained to you about gidps, all, if you look at the top ten GIDP leaders of all time, like every one of them is a Hall of Famer except for Julio Franco, who is a really good player and a really good hitter. Meaning you play enough games and you hit enough hard ground balls, you're going to ground into your share of double plays.
Speaker 1: You know, I went down a rabbit hole because I was talking to a Phillies friend of mine about Alec Bohm, who hits into a lot of double plays. All right, and do you know that the leader with the most GIDP in a single season, Jim Rice is first and second thirty six in one season, thirty five in another season. Right, clearly among all the other ones, he has the most, right, not crazy, he's a.
Speaker 3: Hall of Famer, Cal Rupken, Eddie Murray.
Speaker 1: There all, you play a lot of games, and if you play for good teams, like, there's part of it. Listen, I'm not saying it's the worst thing in the world, right, but you know if your team puts runners on, you have a high percentage chance of making that happen, right, right.
Speaker 3: Right, A lot of Hall of famers in that top ten list. Okay, that's enough for the quirk jins on this stage in baseball history, So on this state. In nineteen seventy one, Harmon Killerbrew.
Speaker 1: Who is a what a double double unique unique?
Speaker 3: I who knew Doctor Bruce Brown of Saber he started this whole thing about He's come up with the Listen, we've used this before, Jeff. Of guys whose first name and last name had never been duplicated in the Major League. I'm still amazed there's never been someone first name of Harmon Harmon Harmon Killerbrew is a double unique. He had his five hundredth homer on this date. He hit five seventy three in his career. He led the league in homers six times. He hit forty or more seven times. One of the great people I've ever met, one of the kindest men I've ever met, and one of the biggest, strongest power hitters of all time. All right on this state. In nineteen eighty one, Pete Rose passed Stan Musial for most hits in the history of the National League. Now, what is the second time State Musical comes up in this podcast?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 3: What is his distinction with his hits? He has the same amount of hits.
Speaker 1: At at home and then away eighteen fifth barons at home eighteen nineteen on the road.
Speaker 3: And so interesting that Pete Rose passed him, which is not so. Dan Shaughnessy, our dear friend went to a baseball card show. One he's getting on the elevator, on the escalator leaving this card show, and there are two like high school aged kids on there, and they're both like they're really grousing and they're kind of cussing, like they couldn't get Pete Rose's autograph. I understand the disappointment not getting Pete Rose auto right, so, but they're really upset because Pete had to go and they were too late or whatever. So Dan is standing right there with these two high school kids and he says to them, well, whose autograph did you get? And they said, well, we got this guy Stan Measil Missile, and Dan shunning goes, that's Stan Musical. He got thirty six hundred hits. So they have to set him straight. I might have missed on Pete Rose, but but you got.
Speaker 1: Stan musical for goodness sake for goodness.
Speaker 3: Sign is right all right, Jeff. On this date in twenty sixteen, Prince Fielder announced his retirement. So on your and we're doing this on August the tenth. These are all August the tenth, so on on McKinley Hope's third birthday. In twenty sixteen, Prince Fielder announced his retirement at age thirty two because of back issues. Prince Fielder is one of my favorite people I've ever been around. And his dad, Cecil Fielder, used to bring him into the clubhouse and he would travel with the team. And I saw Prince Fielder at like age eleven hit home runs over Major League because he was so big and so strong, bigger than Nick pack right, and and I think Prince would be okay with this, but Bobby Valentine told me on one of the trips to Texas, Bobby Valentine and had a restaurant where they It was called Bobby Valentine's and they would serve all you can eat spaghetti and meatballs. And they had to cancel the promotion after Prince Fielder, who was like twelve years old, and he cleared him out. But Jeff, he was unbelievably still is, but he was unbelievably strong. I once asked Prince Fielder, I said, how much weight can you bench? How much weight can you lift? And he goes, I don't know. I said, well take a guess. He goes, I don't know. If you put it on there, I can lift it. I don't care how much it is, I can lift it. And Ryan Braun, his teammate, told me that Prince is the strongest person he's ever seen. And he said, this strongest man contest we have, you know where guys like walk around with giant logs on their back. He says, I promise you Prince Fielder could compete in any one of those competitions, wow, and win because he's just so powerfully build, short, stocky.
Speaker 1: But unbelievably strong.
Speaker 3: So Phil Coke, who was his teammate in Detroit, Ontz, told me that Prince brought in Jeff, he brought in a video when Prince Fielder took a trip to Japan and during in the video he went in and like wrestled as sumo wrestler. And I'm quoting here Phil Phil Coke told me, he said, I swear to you the video we saw Prince Fielder just chucked in one of these sumo wrestlers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, crossed the ring.
Speaker 3: It was just great and he had such a great sense of humor and everything else. And what's the distinction.
Speaker 1: Jee, I got it, I got it. You knew.
Speaker 3: I was gonna ask you, you have.
Speaker 1: The same amount of home runs in their career?
Speaker 3: How many? Just take again three nineteen nineteen, Yes, Jeff who hey nineteen Wait a god? All right, very good on Prince Fielder, all right. This day in nineteen thirty three, Rocky Colorado was born. Not a Hall of Famer, but some really really good numbers. Had one of the great throwing arms ever, three hundred and seventy four homers, hit four home runs in one game, And little did I know until today he died on my birthday December tenth, wow, twenty twenty four. So that's a bit saying.
Speaker 1: You know who also died on your birthday? Yeah, Walter Johnson ten years early, nineteen forty six, and ten years later you were born in nineteen fi fifties.
Speaker 3: The same day. You ever tell me last one, We'll do a good one here. Chuck Carr was born on this date in nineteen sixty seven. He was a fast, little outfielder that played for several teams, including the Florida Marlins in their first year. So I did a story for Sports Illustrated on the Marlins, like who's on this team? Who are these guys? So I saw Chuck Carr. I never really didn't know much about him, so I said, so, and I was talking to him in spring training. I said, how did you get to spring training? Because I drove here? And he said, and I brought my pool queue with me, And he said, I stopped at as many pool halls as I could on my drive to spring training. And I said, how'd you do it? He goes, I want a lot of cash in those pool So here's a baseball player who would stop in a pool hall in his drive to spring training, like, beat a bunch of guys, win a bunch of money, and continue the trip. Wow, how great is that?
Speaker 6: Is?
Speaker 1: So beautiful?
Speaker 3: Dad?
Speaker 1: I love that? All right, Dad, let's go to the wheel wheel off of.
Speaker 3: Jeff. Let's be clear again what this is. People call in rite in and say talk about this or this should be on the wheel of Kirchen. So let's spin it and see if we can have a little fun with the wheel of Kirkchin.
Speaker 1: Make sure to follow us on YouTube because I have the wheel up here. It's an actual wheel.
Speaker 5: Dad.
Speaker 1: From the angle I'm at, I can't really read it, so I'm gonna need you to read it after I spend.
Speaker 3: What do we got?
Speaker 1: What does it say?
Speaker 3: Uh? It says Cal Junior, Cal Ripken Junior. Wow. I wish I had a story about Cal Ripken. I only have fifty thousand other ys, all right, I have to pick the one that I'm all right, I'll just tell you this again, Jeff, He's the most competitive person I've ever met in my life. All he cares about is competing. It doesn't matter what the competition is. He's gonna compete and he's gonna win, and he's gonna play the game properly no matter what. And I rage in conflict of interest. But I played basketball with him for years and I saw that competitive nature in him many times. So many years ago, baseball players took a trip to Japan and there was some strange game that is played inside of a cage. It's like a combination of roller ball and basketball, and who knows what. I can't even describe. But Ripkett had never played the game before, all right, But he watched the game, and then he got Brady Anderson, who was his best friend and his teammate, and they picked up a team and they figured out before they went into the cage how to play the game and how to win the game, and they ended up going in and beating everyone at a game that everyone had been playing for years and he had never played it before. Had just figured out a way.
Speaker 1: To win this game once he knew what the rules, because that's how competitive he is. He has to win, has to win. He'll find a way to win.
Speaker 3: And Joe Worslac was also a teammate of his for years, and Slack I didn't know this was a ping pong like champion in high school in like three different states. So he told me years just not that long ago, ten years ago or so, he said. I once played junior. This is deep into retirement in ping pong, and I beat him twenty four games in a row, and he was so mad he would not leave my house until he beat me. And he beat me in the twenty fifth game at two o'clock of the boarding, and then he went home. And oh, this is the common denomenar. I told you this a million times of all the great players in every sport. They have to compete no matter what it is, they have to win, and they have to play the game properly. I've never met anyone in my life more competitive than cal Rupken Junior.
Speaker 1: All right, here we go down next spin.
Speaker 3: Mascots. How about that, Jock? Wow? Well, and this is I'm in the right place because let's show him here he is Auto the Orange. I spent fifty grand a year to send Jeffrey to Syracuse for four years that I found out I was paying for him to.
Speaker 1: Be Auto the Orange.
Speaker 3: How about that? Let me make sure I got this right, Jef. The way you became Auto the Orange, was you one of the autos who didn't tell you he was Auto the Orange. He saw you. You were athletic, you were competitive, you are energetic, and you were really small. He said, you're perfect for Auto the Orange. Is that right?
Speaker 1: I don't know where you heard that story, because I was not recruited. I found a piece of paper at the carrier dome. Oh and I emailed you you apply with my height and my weight and yeah. Then they interviewed me, and all of a sudden I got kidnapped and was told your Auto now with a team of autos. It was like the coolest thing ever. But we would be remiss if we didn't bring up the greatest mascot story. When you were in Milwaukee running as a sausage in the sausage Race.
Speaker 3: I'm not going through this again, Jeff. It is too painful, long story. I'm in the sausage race. I'm running as a hot dog. I finished dead last. It was so bad. It takes twenty minutes to tell the story properly. It was awful. But my favorite mascot story, which I just used recently, I did a live shot on the field at in Philadelphia at Citizens Bank, and I'm doing a live shot before a game, so it's a bit of a pressurized situation, even for someone who's done as many as I have. And the Philly fanatic comes up next to me on camera while I'm doing the open and he's got a microphone and he gets down on his knees so he's by and he's faking to do the live shot while I'm doing the open to a game. It was I couldn't help it. I started to laugh right in the middle of a live shot, and it was necessary because it was really fun.
Speaker 1: One more, here we go for the Wheel of Kirkchin.
Speaker 3: All right, if someone wrote in John Woodward wrote in the Senators from the Sixties, which I could not believe that somebody would be interested in the Washington Senators from the sixties.
Speaker 1: I know you were a Giants fan, but you grew up outside DC and the Senators in the sixties.
Speaker 3: I love the Senators. They were terrible, but they were my team. And again I've told you all about Eddie Brinkman. And by the way, a friend at a new friend of mine who is a dad of one of the kids that goes to Carson and Emily's new school. He's listening to the podcast and he gave me a tape of Eddie Brinkman being interviewed stop I like forty years ago, and I listened to it and it was fascinating. Eddie Brinkman was a dinky little shortstop who could really catch and throw. Had one great offensive here when Ted Williams was the manager, but Frank Howard was my guy. Frank Howard was six seven, three hundred pounds, hit balls to places that nobody has ever hit. Then.
Speaker 1: That was crazy. It'll be that size at that era.
Speaker 3: And Jeff, I've told you all about six six and above hitters. There aren't many of them who were really good. Frank Howard and I told you when RFK Stadium opened in two thousand and six when the Nationals came back. When the Nationals came back, yeah, they're playing at RFK Stadium. And Tom Glavin, really smart guy, comes in. He's never been to RFK. I've been there a million times. And he goes, what are those red seats painted up there for? And I said, well, those are the seats where Frank Howard hit home runs. And he goes, no, no, no, nobody can hit all up there. And I said, well, Frank Howard hit him up there during the games. And he goes, well, home plate could not have been where it is now. And I said, Tom, this is home plate. It's right here. They haven't moved it. And he was absolutely astonished that someone, you know, forty years earlier was hitting balls up there. So that's the Senators from the sixties.
Speaker 1: And we have time for one more. Yes, okay, ready, that's how we don't get to redo.
Speaker 3: What do we got haircut? Hey, second time haircut? You just got a haircut. It looks great, Jeff, I'm not sure all right, I only have one haircut.
Speaker 1: Well, tell the story my favorite story about what they did a promotion surrounding a haircut.
Speaker 3: Jay Buner Yeah, that's a great story Jay Buhner had. Jay Buner used to play the outfield for the Yankees and then went to the Mariners. Jay Buner hit a lot of home runs, was a really good right fielder, could really throw, but his hair he was losing his hair, so he got a buzz cut. So they had Jay Buner buzz Cut night at the ball at the Kendome, and like four hundred and twenty six people I'll be close on that number came and got their hair buzzed because because Jay Buner did also. And Jay Buner told me later, he goes, I blew it. I should have just collected all of the hair and then got buzzed and then I would add enough to have a weed. So this is back in the time, Jeff, where it was really fun to do those things cal milking contests on the field, you know, bullpen cars, blah blah blah, gum blowing contest and guys who got their hair shaved as a promotion for at the ballpark. We don't do enough of that, No we don't, and I miss it, so that's a shame.
Speaker 1: Two of our favorite things on the show are the Wheel of Kirkchin because you can add your suggestions great game or what dot com and also Team Tim because people send us Team Tim. So if you have something on your mind to Team Tim. A wheel of kirkchin Entry. We just did four of those, so we're gonna need to fill this wheel up. Let us know great game or what dot Com? What you want to add to the wheel of Kirksham. But Dan a very very special day because you've got a special Team Tim.
Speaker 3: Right, the special Team Tim is all about you, Jeff. We're filming on your birthday, August ninth, So what better thing to do than look at all the baseball players who were born on your okay birthdays. I love this. We're gonna start with probably the number one, well, certainly the only Hall of Famer on the list. Ted Simmons, one of my all time favorite people in the game. Wicked smart. Every time I talk to Ted Simmons to this day, I always say, you better be ready for this because he's going to use some words that you're not familiar with. And I'm a writer. That's how smart Ted Simmons is. So he's our catcher. Mike Lamb is our first baseman, second basement. I was going to go with Hulian Javier because he was the second baseman for the Cardinals when I was growing up. But we're going to go with Xavier Edwards, oh, active player for the Marlins. Junior Kennedy is our third baseman, Brendan Rodgers is our shortstop, and to the surprise of both of us, our first outfielder is Dion Sanders. You're born on the same day as Dion Sanders. How could I not know that? And how could you not know that?
Speaker 1: I can't believe I didn't know that. I mean, I thought I knew all of my famous birthday days. Annah Kendrick born on the same day as me. I've got a number of great Dion Sanders August ninth. How did I not know? Hey, Happy birthday, Dion. I hope you have a great day.
Speaker 3: Right Primetime Prime Time Lebron Jay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did show Dad the little kid Lebron James video, and that's all we've been doing all week, Even though that video came out.
Speaker 3: Twelve years ago.
Speaker 1: We just got Dad to see it. So let's do it. Do it right into your camera. I'll do mine. Ready one to your camera, your camera. Ready a ready, right ready Lebron.
Speaker 3: James so bad all right. The rest of the outfield, Tom Age, who was on the Mets nineteen sixty nine championship team that just stunned the Orioles in the World Series. He made a couple of really great catches in that game. So Tommy Age and Jason Hayward recently retired. Pretty darn good players. Championship Team twenty sixteen. Claude O'stein, who was once traded even up for Frank Coward. That's why I put him on this feeling. Coward was a great player. Claude O'stein was a really good pitcher, and I think his nickname. I'm pretty sure his nickname was Gomer because people thought he looked like Gomer Pile from The Gomer Pile Show, which I hope I've got that right, but we'll figure that out later. Pat Mahomes, who is Patrick Maho Mahomes dad. Patrick Patt Mahomes was a good pitcher Wow Minnesota Twins and other teams, So he has the same birthday. Troy Percival, who was up for one of the greatest number forties of all time closer on the championship team for the Angels in two thousand and two, born on your birthday, and our manager is Ralph Howke, whose nickname was the General. He used to he was a catcher. I was gonna make him the catcher on the team. Then I found Hall of Famer Ted Simmons. So our manager is Ralph Houk. So all of those guys, Jeff are born on August the ninth, your birthday, So happy birthday from Team Tim.
Speaker 1: Now I will say Dad has never kept a secret in his life in this show, and sometimes he'll go I got a surprise for Team Tim. I said, okay, and then two minutes later, okay, So I'm gonna tell you it's your birthday. Everybody who's born on your birthday, great surprise. Dad really love getting surprised on the show. But I came up with the idea that your birthday, December tenth, should go up against my birthday August ninth. So the best players born on December tenth and the best players born on August the ninth. So in the off season, do your Team Tim of December tenth, and I'll talk to our friends. It's stratamatic and we'll have them run that simulation seven game series to see who would win?
Speaker 3: Right, And one of our listeners, readers, viewers, whatever sent in a Team Tim with everyone whose first name is Tim in baseball history, which we've already done because we had the Team Tim against the team Jeff. I think he had a better Team Tim that I came up with. But somebody sent that in just the other day, and I loved it. The people loved this ridiculous thing that we do every week, and I, frankly, I really love it too. But I said, what am I going to do for Jeff's birthday? Well, let's find August and ninth. There we go.
Speaker 1: We did run the Team Tim against the Team Jeff with our friends at Stratamatic. But now Jeff Kent is now a Hall of Famer, would that improve his numbers? Because I lost that seven game series. It was close over by a hair it was. It went I think it went six or seven games. I mean it was close, yes, But your pitching staff was hard to beat. I mean you had some Tim Hudson, Tim Linsecam. You had some good Tim's on your team.
Speaker 3: Very good and good memory there, Jeff. Thank you. That is Team Tim for this week. One more time, Jeff Greatest weekend ever at your house. The McKinley Hope birthday on Saturday was fabulous. Your birthday has been great so far. And you're gonna stay home on Monday celebrate McKinley Hope's birthday together while I go move furniture on Monday at home.
Speaker 1: But all as well, All as well, I'm gonna go clean my garage right. I have never been so excited, Jeff.
Speaker 3: Jeff, I'm gonna ask you one more time on your birthday? Are you sure you're related to me? Because there is nothing in the world that I would be worse at than going out and putting up panels in my garage, hooks and everything else so I can hang everything. You're a genius at this. The way you put that backyard together for McKinley Hope's birthday was just amazing. And you needed help because putting up the tent, but everything else you did by yourself.
Speaker 1: What you don't realize is you made me this way because nobody else in the house could do it. Thank you so much for listening to us always. Thanks for being a part of our family.