Speaker 1: Welcome to the Solid Verbo.
Speaker 2: I'll that for me.
Speaker 1: I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for day Edith State?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 1: Whoo whoom? And Dan and Tye welcome back to the Solid Burbo Boys. Girls. My name is ty hillibrand joining me as always over there in New York City, my man Dan Rubinstein.
Speaker 3: Sir, how are you? I'm good, ty I'm ready to board this barge.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so so yeah. We are not doing the tues cruise per se no anymore. However, as we did our last Bowl preview show, you mentioned the Bowl barge. Yeah, which is I'm guessing because you just couldn't quit the nautically themed content that we had going on a weekend week out. Basis, here on the show.
Speaker 3: We have a heavy load of Bowl previews to transport to our listeners to the loyal verballer's tie.
Speaker 1: And it's not it's not always sexy. Sometimes it just plods along and floats, but exactly right. We are making mass deliveries here of Bowl projections. This is our second show. I'm just going to play the sounds. I'm very excited about as.
Speaker 2: The souls is here, all of the military, Pin Strike, Texas, Holiday Camping World, Caughton, first Responders, Music City, Red Books, and.
Speaker 1: Watch Oh that is so dark day, Red Bucks, Red Books.
Speaker 3: You will notice if you are paying close attention, if you're figuring out the dates of games in which we are talking on which whatever the cheese It bowl's not there? No, Wow, that's right, because Tye sent me an email and I have it in front of me right now, and he said, I don't believe the Air Force is a legitimate part of the United States military. I said that, I did say, and I'd like to go on record as saying I disagree. I say we it's okay to have a presence in the air in these verrier.
Speaker 1: People are gonna think that you're serious, and I'm going to get emails about that. But that's fine, that's fine. I forgot the cheese ball. I don't know how I could forget about the cheese at Bull. It's the one ball I didn't want to forget. But a last We've got it on the sheet. Now we're going to talk about it tonight. You've done over there, Okay, care far?
Speaker 3: Sorry? I was singing my Air Force song.
Speaker 1: Thank you one, Thank you all for stopping on by, for downloading the show, don't forget. You can subscribe to our show anywhere you get your podcasts. You can find the Solid Verbal. You can also follow us out there on social media. We got all sorts of channels and join in on the subreddit at solidverbal dot reddit dot com, where our boy Peter recently announced that I won the Fantasy Things contest that was on this year. Thank you very much, fifty two to forty nine your final score. It is amazing that for the third or fourth year running now was this damn close every year. It is that damn close.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, I liked it better to me when I got to score it myself. I like it when it was pick up rules like call your own fouls. That was my favorite era of Fantasy Things. But this one's pretty good too.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: It is pretty good, and we appreciate everyone out there, indiever ballerhood, helping us keep score. It's always a ton of fun to do that show. But bye bye, sorry, keep going. I just am throwing my support and I know you're just not continue huh boy, here we go.
Speaker 3: Sorry, it did the.
Speaker 1: Wild Blue Yonder.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm done. Continue.
Speaker 1: The main topic of this show, yeah, is hopping aboard the bullbarge the bulls. Yeah, come story, pop aboard that bull barge and let's preview the Bowl games that are played between the twenty seventh of December and the thirtieth of December. We're going to do it together. Yeah, And I can assure you that the trip will be more fun if you sign up for the Bowl Confidence Pool.
Speaker 3: Oh, I agree.
Speaker 1: Right now, we've got over six hundred members. We've had routinely well over one thousand in previous iterations. My guess is by the time Bowl season officially kicks off, we will be there. You can jump in on the fun. It's free to play at solid verbal dot com slash pick them. It's over on ESPN. You can win a gift card from our friends over at roeback. They have generously donated to the cause here, so please do tell your friends and family. We've opened it up so you can actually submit two entries if you want to tinker and mess around with your slide rule to get your percentages just right. Whatever works for you, We're here to support you in the cause. Is Solidverbal dot com slash Pick them is how you can get in on all of that action.
Speaker 3: Dan, Yeah, I am in full support. I love pick them time of year.
Speaker 1: Have you Have you made your official entry yet? I've made the entry.
Speaker 3: I have not submitted all of my picks yet. I'm about two thirds of the way through and feeling pretty nice ty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel good about this.
Speaker 3: Actually, I feel very good that. I don't know if I'm in a place in the top. I don't know one percent of the solid verbal pool itself, but I'm going to bury you.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh my god, Do I feel a.
Speaker 3: Bit about that?
Speaker 1: Before we get into bulls though. Yeah. Boo boo boo, boo boom. Shout out to everybody who missed the boot boot boops.
Speaker 2: They're back boot boop.
Speaker 1: Caleb de Boor hired by Fresno.
Speaker 3: Yes he was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was previously at Fresno before we went to Indiana to call plays for a year. But being so there was an opening they were happy to welcome him back. We also have Danny Gonzalez going from Arizona State over to New Mexico. He was previously the defensive coordinator. I believe DC.
Speaker 3: Yeah, DC for Rocky long at San Diego State, so it appears that New Mexico's defense will be getting a shot in the arm.
Speaker 1: Another news tidbit here is that USC has extended Graham Harrell for three years. Is one point two million per year?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I don't even know if I don't know what Texas was officially bidding for him, but that was USC doing its best to keep him away from returning home to the lone Star State. And I have to admit it's pretty attractive to get Keaton Slovas and really build your reputation around USC's offense for the next couple of years, at least if Clay Helton sticks around, because there's a lot of weaponry there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is. We're going to talk about the USC game here in a little bit when we get to the Holiday Bowl. But an intriguing match, and I've got some stuff to say about that weaponry.
Speaker 3: Yes. Also speaking of Texas, Chris ash returning to coach alongside Tom Herman. They were together as coordinators at Ohio State on their national championship team the twenty fourteen season, and after an unsuccessful run to say the least, at Rutgers, he is doing what he probably does best. You remember he was also quite good at Wisconsin before moving on to I think Arkansas and then Ohio State. Real quick, we have some more early NFL draft entries. You know, Benjamin Arizona State, AJ Dillon Gabriel Davis, UCF, CJ. Henderson Florida, Lynn Bowden, our guy Jeff Thomas from Miami, Hunter Bryant, I don't know if we mentioned him, the tight end from Washington. Should also be mentioned that these guys are skipping their bowl games. Some of them were previewing today and some of them other days. Are we already have, but some of the big ones Alabama corner and linebacker, I mean, so be Trevon Diggs as the corner, Terrell Lewis the linebacker, Louisville's left tack. I think we have Louisville in this slate of games. Mackai Becton a monster of a man. We've talked about him in a dude type preview. CJ. Henderson actually not playing in the game. Also entering the draft early, Brandon Ayuk Arizona State, Minnesota's linebacker, Kamal Martin Washington and we mentioned him. Alex Hornybrook is not going to be drafted. Was he going to play anyway in the bowl game.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. He's just gone from the program.
Speaker 3: He's just like Dona Dontavius Jackson at Florida State as well. Cam Akers will skip the bowl game. Jalen Johnson, the very good corner free Utah not playing. And I believe the Alamo Bowl justin I think it's Metabouquet right, the had a defensive tackle at afitexas A and M who is very very good. AJ Dillon is not playing in the game. And Washington's left tackle Trey Adams not playing in the I believe it's the Vegas Bowl. And should also we mentioned because we talked about USC's offense, Jack Sears, who transferred before the season and he was between what between Slovas and Figer. I don't know how it ended up after camp, but he came in twenty eighteen and beat ASU, or was good against ASU, I should say. And he's transferring to San Diego State. Okay, that's it. I think that that's the news to cover at the moment we're doing this. We're recording this Tuesday, five pm ish Eastern, So National Signing Day is tomorrow. Fear not, we will have recruiting and Signing Day content at some point.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, should we cover our bases and announce that Nick Saban has retired, just in case it happens between now and Sunday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, O, man, I love that SNL sketch. Jimmy Gerald Ford today tragic age.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 1: All right, let's start off with our first bowl game. We've got a bunch to get through here, the Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman. Grumman, Yes, Grumman, Yeah, grooman tomato, tomato. It is December twenty seventh on ESPN. It is North Carolina at six and six. It is Temple at eight and four. North Carolina is a five point favorite. Here, Dan, Now look, I get that this isn't a big time bowl game. But but but I cannot possibly emphasize enough how big of a deal it is that Carolina won six games this year. Before the year, I went back and checked my acc notes. Right before the year, I had jotted down with an asterisk and highlighted that five wins would be an absolute miracle in a revelation. Wow, yeah, and now here we are. They got to six. They got Sam Howell Bacon in the oven, which is how pretty exciting, got a really young offense and a wide open ACC coastal. I think, I think there's a lot to be excited about if you're a North Carolina fan. This was a very successful first year for Mac Brown.
Speaker 2: Dan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we had talked about before the season, we'll get into the game momentarily that even last year they were in basically every game, it was a lot of three and five point losses, and this year's losses six points, three points, one point to Clemson, two points at Virginia Tech, a touchdown to Virginia, and they lost to pit by a touchdown. So all single digit losses, including that one pointer at home against Clemson. So North Carolina at the very very least, even though their record says six and six, they're a.
Speaker 1: Competitive tip We'll fight you, man, they will fight you.
Speaker 3: They're a competitive team. And this game is interesting to me at least because it matches I think strength for strength in North Carolina's offense and Temple's defense. Temple themselves they won three of their final four. They did beat Memphis and Philly, the G five team to play in a New year, six Bowl. Temple's offense pretty rough, defense is pretty good, very very good against the past. So Sam Howell has I think a bit of a challenge, especially since he's going to be dodging Quincy Roche, who I watched more of just in preparing for this game, and my god, what a total dude. He was the American Defensive Player of the Year. And guess what, tye. The North Carolina offensive line, Yeah they'll give up a sack. Yeah, they'll give up a sack. So yeah, the North Carolina defense also isn't great, but that's okay because Temple's offense isn't either. So I'm looking forward to this one being pretty competitive, and as as is my desire to do a lot of the times during the early part of the Bowl season, I just go with the clearly better defense. So I'm taking Temple by a field goal, really I am. Yeah, wow, See I like Carolina here. Okay, there was a stretch in October when Temple played Memphis, SMU, and UCF on consecutive weeks. Yeah, they got drilled by both SU and UCF. And you're right to point out that they beat Memphis, but they were sort of outplayed in that game. The reason they won my two points, I believe was because they forced four turnovers. That's a good thing. It's a very good thing in my opinion.
Speaker 1: But otherwise otherwise, I think they were sort of outplayed in that game. I think mac Brown has his boys fired up. I think it's a big game coming for Sam Howell and Oh if I could add a cherry on top Rod Kerry in bowl games, Dan, are you familiar with the steps?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do know this.
Speaker 1: Go for it? Oh in six in bowl games?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: As a coach, Rodkerry not the strongest bull season coach. I've got North Carolina here. I like them a lot. I got sixteen confidence points riding on this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah Temple did she lack what duke last year? And Daniel Jones so at least that they have that going for him, I do have down here. Attempts to obtain the list of gifts from the committee were unsuccessful. Military ball wow. And as for food recommendations, ask our friend to Murray. I believe he lives in the greater Annapolis area. One Tim Murray on Twitter. If you need food recommendation, I am having.
Speaker 1: A disappointed you didn't steer into the whole military angle and say that the gifts are redacted.
Speaker 2: M M.
Speaker 3: That's good. I am going to watch the report tonight, Ty. So I'm in the mood.
Speaker 1: The new era pinch stripe bowl. Where's my hat? I got my hat around here? Somewhere there is hold on. I'm putting this on. Please here we go, okay. Also on the twenty seventh, also on ESPN, it is Michigan State at six and six. It is Wake Forest at eight and four. The Spartans are a five point favorite. Dan, who you got here?
Speaker 3: I think I like Michigan State, which is a very dangerous thing to say out loud, even though I'm alone and nobody can hear me besides you and many of our closest listeners. Sparti lost five straight before beating Maryland and Rutgers. Their offense couldn't really do much all season long. It wasn't an out and out night May but just a regular old nightmare. Their defense still pretty strong. The rush defense was better than their past defense. Kenny Willikis, is that dude still for that defense? Off the edge? And Wake is sort of the opposite. Their offense is kind of decent, but they're down stage Surrat, who was an incredible receiver all ACC talent. They finished losing three of four, and I guess if we're going to talk about I just I guess I have a crush on Edge guys today. Carlos basham very very good for Wake. He's worth watching all first team ACC. But I just I'm not a big believer in Wake without Sage Surrat and ability to change a game on offense. So I am taking Sparti by three here.
Speaker 1: Sparty by three, Okay, yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Mean you'll be in an ugly, ugly sixteen thirteen whatever kind of game.
Speaker 1: You'll remember that. Consider Wake cash tag. Consider Wake was born after a seven and one start for the Demon Deacons. The problem was the last four weeks of the season, though they lost at Virginia a tack and Clemson also at Syracuse to close out the year. Cus is a mess this season, so that was not a good way to finish things off. Downstage, Surrat all, that doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence. And that's not to say that Michigan State inspires confidence. No, let's not pretend. Let's not pretend that anything in Michigan State's season gives us a whole lot to work with here. They lost Illinois, Indiana. Yeah, beat Indiana, but lost ten to seven that horrible game early on against ASU, which I have tried to forget. They got smoked by Wisconsin, Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan, so this has not been a good team at all. I will, though, emphasize a point that you brought up, and that is to say that even though the Michigan State defense was not quite what we expected, they were still pretty good. Still pretty good, and I think that poses a challenge for wake Forest. So I agree a close, ugly game. I would not want to bet this one minus the five or plus the five. I just would stay away from it. But I like Michigan State, and I'm gonna say eight confidence points on this one.
Speaker 3: Gift suite includes JBL Harmon, JBL slash Harmon gift card seeing it's some audio gear, right ty, Oh yeah, buddy, a variety of new era products, and as for food, I assume people are not staying in the Bronx. There are many more hotels in Manhattan and surrounding areas. Let me know, let me know what you're interested in. I'll help you out.
Speaker 1: Dan Is coming to your dinner party.
Speaker 3: I mean, depends where you're going.
Speaker 1: You just have to pay. But if you pay, he'll show up.
Speaker 3: I'll be in Florida. But if you're going somewhere real good, all right, we'll see the Academy Sports and Outdoors Texas Bowl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a mouthful. It is December twenty seventh, Also on ESPN, Texas A and M at seven and five, Oklahoma State at eight and four. The point spread here is seven in favor of the Aggies. Dan, So, I'm a little biased here. I've been talking up Texas A and M for a while now. I stand by the fact that they may be the best seven and five team in the country.
Speaker 3: I have it literally written down Tie's best seven and five team in America.
Speaker 1: I like them here by seven to ten. I do think they'll have their hands full with Chuba Hubbard, but that is pretty much the case for everyone, so they're not unique in that sense. I just feel in my bones that they are the better team here. I'm not gonna second guess it. I'm gonna say A and M to the tune of twenty one confidence points.
Speaker 3: Okay, fair enough. A and M did lose two of their final three. It was close against Georgia with some questionable I guess no calls against the Dogs, and then just by LSU. The defense pretty dece They ran pretty well at times despite an injury to what Jayshawn Corbyn. They're the guy who started the year at running back. They didn't really go downfield a ton with Kellen Mond and I think I like them comfortably against Oklahoma State, who did finish the season pretty strong. They beat TCU and Iowa State. I just I don't love their defense. Spencer Sanders is a maybe he had thumb surgery near the end of the season. Scheba Hubbard, who you mentioned, I think is probable he was beat up near the end of the year. I think A and M really does a great job against them. It's a sort of a de facto home game games in Houston, right yep, yep, so not far at all from College Station. So I have A and M by about ten points. We agree, We agree, and gift Suite Academy Sports and Outdoors gift card, a Justin Cowboy hat, a belt buckle, a bandana, and Adidas s Duffel bag, a shoe bag and a toiletry bag which.
Speaker 1: I think is one of your more under shoe.
Speaker 3: And toiletry bags. Very underrated. Yeah, I don't know what a shoe bag is. I guess something to protect your shoes when you travel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you pay. It's like a little zip up bag. Your shoes stood in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, solid toiletry bag goes a long way, so I gotta respect that.
Speaker 1: I got that as a wedding gift for being in a wedding years ago, and I still have it. So osaing.
Speaker 3: It's great if you're eating in Houston. First of all, congratulations, Houston absolutely rules as a place for your stomach. Hugo's is a great Mexican place, ninfas ninphas for text mechs, Taco's, Tierra Caliente, believe is a truck Maine as an mei n as in low or chow for Chinese food. Blood Brothers has creative barbecue and crawfish and noodles for via Cajun. And there are also like seven thousand other places you should be eating in Houston. So congratulations if you're going to Houston to eat.
Speaker 1: The only other point on this game, I believe. Marty Smith is a spokesperson for Academy Sports and outdoors. So if you're watching this game, if you.
Speaker 3: Read Marty Smith and Laura Rutledge.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, get ready for full on bit commitment, or at least a steady stream of Marty Smith commercials.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 1: Moving on, let's go to the San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl. H It is Iowa at nine and three. It is USC at eight and four. Iowa is a slim one and one half point favorite. I teased it at the top. I've got eleven on USC here. You like USC? I do, so you know. I got this wonky formula, and sometimes it works a lot of times it doesn't. I am trying my best in that it sort of is. I am trying my best to stick to the plan. I front loaded my pool selections, I put a lot of my points early, and I'm trying to throttle back here on some of these games because this game could go either way. There are a lot of games that kind of fall into this category as you go a little bit deeper into Bowl season. I actually think the announcement that they're retaining Clay Hilton gives them a little bit of a boost in this game, you know, like, I don't think I don't think USC had it all that bad this year. I think they actually well pulled it together. Okay, if they go eight and four next year, Clay Hilton's gone, but they lost JT. Daniels early. The way they cobbled things together brought Keaton's Slovas along. By season's end, he was really good. And this is still, as you said, a really good offense with a lot of weaponry. So I get the call from USC fans to try and make a change at the top, but I think all things considered, the season could have gone a much much different direction, being so they had that high profile injury right away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So okay, First of all, both of these teams finished the year winning five of six, and USC has a pretty significant win in Utah, which they had early on, And obviously Iowa took down Minnesota, a darling of the twenty nineteen college football season. Later on in the season their Notre Dame game was close, Oregon not so much. And while I think you're right in talking about the encouraging factors of how USC ended their season, this was still a pretty rough defense At times you could run on this Trojan defense and special teams wasn't great and there was just a lack of discipline pretty much throughout the season from this USC team, which does fall on the head coach and practice and what to practice. So I understand the frustration just in general with Helton and more so I think with the administration.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, so right.
Speaker 3: This is a USC team that throws the ball really well under Graham Harrell and Keaton Slovas and those receivers. Slovis a ton of promise. If I'm sticking with my fun edge dudes, Drake Jackson can be stery scary. Good excuse me. As a freshman he was pretty fun. But here's the thing. Ioways got like a grown up version of that in aj Epanessa. He's a problem. Their defense is very strong all around. They were great at preventing big plays. I have Iowa by six here. Really, I love going with the stronger defenses because if Bowls are about caring and defense is about carrying boom, you're married and this is where I sit.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: That's a fair point of view, and no doubt contrasting styles in this game, because USC is going to air it out against a good pass defense, albeit one that didn't play a system like this, but still a really good pass defense. They've been good for a long time. It's Iowa. And conversely, I would think that Iowa has an opening here to run the ball to control clock against this USC defense. I always got a little bit to prove in that department. They haven't been a good rushing offense, a truly no rushing offense in a couple of years, but they couldn't run at all until Nebraska, right if they choose to do so and fully commit to the bit here, there's an opportunity against USC. Sure. I am perhaps the most interested in this game of all the ones that we're going to see in Bull season. I just think the contrasting styles and some of the storylines here are very intriguing to me. My gut was USC, So I'm gonna say USC ah like eleven confidence points not not too many here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm pretty low around there as well with the Iowa pick. Also should be noted well, couple things. One pour one out, pour gallons and gallons out for this field which flooded during the Point Setti Bowl. However many years ago. I never forget, and now the Point Seti Bowl no longer exists. Also, gift Suite fossil watch, wireless speaker, and I'll say a wireless speaker, a portable charger, and a toiletry bag are making my making the Rubinstein Bowl gift.
Speaker 1: Sweet. That's that's on the rushboard right now.
Speaker 3: That's really strong. Also, if you're going to this game, which it's a great time because you're in San Diego in late December, ho dads for burgers, Cassero for fish tacos, also oscars and a mighty scos nine seas for fish tacos, because that's what you should be doing in San Diego.
Speaker 1: Holiday Bowl is always a lot of fun. Love. A good Holiday Bowl always always a good time. And let's close out December the twenty seventh, Yeah, with another game on ESPN. It's a cheeze at ball. Yeah, play it. We've got air Force at ten and two. We've got Wazoo at six and six. Air Force is a three point favorite here, Daniel, they are. I apologize for leaving this one out of our original document. I mean no disrespect to the Air Force Academy or Wazoo. Who you got here?
Speaker 3: I think I'm gonna go with what a weird game. Well, first of all, really strong year for air Force. They finished the season winning seven straight eight of nine. They played two good teams in Navy and Boise. They lost to both.
Speaker 1: They ran well all year long.
Speaker 3: They were efficient enough, not crazy accurate through the air, but they they made plays when it counted. Wazoo had another really strong offense and a not strong at all defense, and so they are sort of all or nothing type team. They lost close, they won close to good teams. I just I don't like watching this year's version of the Wazoo defense. They were so fun under Alex Grinch. I don't love air Force's defense here. That's the problem. I think Wazoo is going to be able to get this done in a weird shootout like a forty four to forty two type game. So yeah, I'm gonna go with Wazu here to win out right, I'm gonna give it pretty low confidence points because of the great variable that is the air Force offense. So yeah, I think Wazoo finished the year strong in what games in Phoenix?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, that's my pick.
Speaker 1: I think I'm gonna go air Force here, and I don't feel very confident in that selection. I'm gonna put like twelve points or something relatively low on it. The single worst entity in this football game, at least on a per play basis, is the Wazoo rushing defense.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's a bad matchup.
Speaker 1: And that's a bad matchup. That's a really bad matchup. I'm not crazy about air Force's defense either, but I like their I like their matchup here. It's a strong run yea from to control the clock, to control the narrative with their with their option offense. So I'm gonna take a chance here and go air Force to the tune of twelve.
Speaker 3: All right, disagree?
Speaker 1: What is our gift situation for this game?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 3: I think I copy pasted last year's Oh no, here we go gift guide Every Bowls game package for players. Search cheese, there it is. Okay, go pro Hero seven with accessories and carrying case, Holy Moley, Wow, Fossil Watch, Oakley sunglasses, oh Gio Shuttle pack, backpack, History of the Bowls celebrating the good of the game, book, ice Shaker, insulated bottle branded bills, cap and travel case. Hmmm, I don't know what.
Speaker 1: I want to know more about that travel case.
Speaker 3: That's a pretty good roster. Also, if you're going to this game, Pizzeria Bianco, pone Bianco or tacos.
Speaker 1: Chi wa chias okay. I like that. It's a good gift suite right there, absolutely is. Let's go to December the twenty eighth. It's Camping World bullets on ABC. It is your Notre Dame fighting Irish Dan.
Speaker 3: That's mine.
Speaker 1: A four point favored against Iowa State. Notre Dame went ten to two. Iowa State went seven and five. I think this could be a fun game.
Speaker 3: I have it circled.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this could be a fun game. I have a lot of thoughts on this football game, all right, list them. Notre Dame was quietly very good in the month of November after that Michigan game. They sort of got knocked out of it, and you know, they had to fight for their lives against Virginia Tech and all that. But Ian Book was much much better at stretching the field later in the year. That's so key for him because he just wasn't good at it. I'm not going to pretend that they played a tough schedule in November. I just think that it's important they closed on such a confident note. So that's the first thing here, and Secondly, we mentioned this on the last show, but Chip Long is out as offensive coordinator for Notre Dame and Tommy Reese is in as the play call at least on a temporary basis for this Bowl game. I suppose it depends on how well he does as for whether or not he continues in that post. He's never called plays before, so his diet Chiplong, I don't know. I don't know. He's twenty seven years old. He's widely perceived as a rising star in the coaching world. If Notre Dame looks good on offense, I would expect that there's going to be some pressure to elevate him and keep him around because he has been a good recruiter, and that to me means that if you're Tommy Reese, maybe you take more chances, maybe you try to maybe try to spice things up a little bit, you.
Speaker 3: Know, ty Do you remember the the Barcelona Olympics, that Dream.
Speaker 1: Team nineteen ninety two. I'll never forget.
Speaker 3: Nineteen ninety two. Tommy Reese was two months old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for the dream Team. Yeah, thanks for making me feel old, by the way. I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So that's where Notre Dame is so Notre Dame.
Speaker 1: You're right.
Speaker 3: They won eight of nine to finish the year, obviously losing that Michigan game. You know, this is the eight of nine started, I guess after the Georgia loss. But that those games, and you might be selling them short a little bit talking about an ACC coastal champion in terms of a win, talking about a USC team that finished the season pretty well. They won that game close. Navy team that was in it for the American late Virginia Tech also in it for the coast. Yeah, I mean, I'm not I'm talking Rubs.
Speaker 1: No, I'm talking mostly in November's stretch where they looked i think, especially impressive, not against the best competition. But your point stands. Your point is very valid.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, so they were I guess uneven because at times they looked great on the ground, at times not so much. And you're right, Ian book improved as the opponents didn't Chase Claypool as dangerous a big receiver as there probably is at times in the country. Their past defense was great and a lot of that was pocket collapsing. What's Khalid Kareem, He's that dude. Notre Dame is that dude? Yeah, he is that dude. Here's the good news though, or the bad news for Notre Dame. Iowa State can play, Yeah they can't. Iowa State beat Texas late. They finished the season winning two of three. They lost last second to Oklahoma. Their defense was good pretty much all year long, especially at preventing big plays. Not that Notre Dame is a home run hitting team, but Iowa State is a good team with a pretty wild card, unpredictable quarterback in Brock Party. I think Notre Dame can get it done in too many different ways for Iowa State to win this one. I have the Irish by nine points here.
Speaker 1: Nine points. Yeah, that the X factor for me. This game definitely means more for Iowa State. Sure, Like, is there any doubt that Matt Campbell is going to have these guys fired up. He's already sort of established himself as a giant killer, at least as someone who's going to scare you. And if you're Iowa State looking across at Notre Dame, this is a team that's sort of like the Yankees of the Midwest. It'd be a huge deal if you could knock off Notre Dame and they do have a chance here. You're right, they can play. Their defense is solid. Offensively, brock Perty always gives them a chance. He's always a threat. I think Notre Dame is better as well. I think they're about a touchdown better. I do think Tommy Reese is going to take some chances because twenty seven and he wants the job, and why the hell not right, So I'm saying thirty four to twenty eight. I've got thirteen confidence points on it. But I think this is going to be a hell of a lot of fun. I'm excited to watch this game.
Speaker 3: Think about all the old people in Florida and the Irish going down to Florida for a Bowl game. There's a bit of a home field. S Scoul, you're a scale. A gift suite in this game includes a four hundred dollars Best Buy gift card. I haven't been to a best Buy in a long time. Tie a watch, a Herschel backpack that's a good backpack and a luggage tag, or the Herschel backpack has a luggage tag. I don't know Orlando food no, so I am told it's just a lot of sort of strip malls. So whatever, your favorite strip mall restaurants are, and I would be first in line for good strip mall restaurants. By the way, I love a good CPK. Sure, that's probably your best bet in Orlando.
Speaker 2: Get some.
Speaker 3: I'm probably get some orange chicken at PF Chanks. Oh, they'll definitely have Paul Flemings Chanks. They definitely will.
Speaker 1: The good Year Cotton Bowl. Okay, on December the twenty eighth on ESPN, it is Penn State at ten and two, Memphis at twelve and one, Penn State six and a half seven point favorite. Dan So a lot going on here. Okay. First off, Memphis lost their coach, Mike Norvel to Florida State. I think that may negate any boost they get from going to the freaking Cotton Bowl against Penn State, which is an amazing accomplishment from Memphis football. Congratulations on a wonderful season. I think Memphis is really good. I've been saying it all year. I have been a huge fan. I think they can score with Penn State. I do think that Penn State can use some variation of their rushing attack to great effect here, and I do think ultimately that is the difference in this football game. Also, their defense Penn States is extremely opportunistic and they're gonna find a way to force a couple turnovers in this football game. I think it's fun. I think there are a lot of points. I think it's something like thirty eight to thirty one. Penn State like the Knits in this one here. I think they've got a lot to build for in the coming season in twenty twenty. So I'm gonna go seventeen confidence points on Penn State.
Speaker 3: I disagree. I like Memphis here outright, I really do. I think they're gonna score. I don't love what Penn State look like against good passing attacks this season this season, did you no?
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 1: Especially it's a wed that first.
Speaker 3: Half against Minnesota. We had Indiana lighting them up early. There are some concerns about some some lapses in the Penn State secondary, and that's and Memphis is pretty balanced. We saw great runs from what Kenneth gainwell this year. De Monte Coxy was very good on the outside. So after that Temple lost, Memphis did rip off seven straight wins, including the double Cincinnati situation. I still think the offense will be sensational. Bryce Huff is fun as hell, on this Memphis defense and Penn State wise, it was nice that they settled on what Journey Brown when they had the backfield by committee early on kJ Hammler, you know, was beat up, but had you know, incredible plays for Penn State. I like Penn State upfront. I just think Memphis is a different offensive animal than what a lot of the Big Ten has to offer. So I actually have Memphis by four here, really and welcome to college football big time, Ryan Silverfield, new Memphis coach.
Speaker 1: I could see it, especially because of the whole secondary concern with Penn State. Yeah, and you know, I watch pretty much every Penn State game and seeing the secondary with my own eyes sort of appalling down this track. It was not good. You read the beat reports after the fact, the game summaries, and I don't think any of them have really done it justice. This has been a really bad secondary latter part of the year, and it is a huge concern as you go up against a team like a Memphis. So I get it. I'm gonna go Penn State here. I'm gonna say seventeen confidence points, but you know, should be a fun game one way, or.
Speaker 3: Even that six seven eight point confidence region for this one goodyear. Cotton Ball representatives would not I'm seeing again, would not disclose the contents of this year's gift package. If you are saying in the greater DFW area, I just have Dallas recommendations. Fort Worth has great food options as well, but Pecan Lodge for for barbecue is great. You can skip the line, I think if you order something called the Trough, the Trough, the Trough, which is a large tables worth of food Urban taco cow noodles that'd be Khao I believe, and Los Torres also Mexican food Taurus t O R R E S.
Speaker 1: All Right, so you'll notice that we are not previewing the playoffs correct on this show. We've got a dedicated playoff preview podcast. Try saying, don't recognize the sovereign. Oh sorry, continue five times fast. Those games are both on December the twenty eighth, our Sunday show. We'll be talking about those two games specifically and maybe recapping some of what transpires in the first weekend of Bowl games. So with that being said, we have four other games that we're going to skip ahead and discuss. We're going to start on December the thirtieth with the Serve Pro First Responders Bowl, a game that I believe was canceled due to weather last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they called it because of lightning, and they just it was a no contest.
Speaker 1: No contest. That sucks. This one's on ESPN. It is Western Kentucky at eight and four. It is Western Michigan at seven and five, the so called Western Bowl. We've got Western Kentucky three and a half points the favorite. Dan, I have no idea here. I have absolutely no idea who I'm picking.
Speaker 3: Uh So, Western Kentucky won three in a row to finish off the season, including a win at Arkansas. Tye Story Hilltoppers couldn't really run. They passed it a bit. They were led by their defense. They allowed some bigger plays, but this was a strong defense for Western Kentucky. DiAngelo Malone worth watching. Watch some of his highlights today, and I'm wanting to watch more of him in the First Responders Bowl. Western Michigan finished the season pretty strongly, one three of four, including a win over Ohio. I'd said it before the season started. I've mentioned him a couple times during the season. Levonte Bellamy is the best running back you've probably never watched really good one cut and go guy runs really confidently Western Michigan. The Stang's okay against the past, not okay against the run. So I think they're a little bit too one note. I'm gonna go with I guess the strongest thing in this game. I mean it could be Levonte Bellamy, but I'm gonna go with to the Hilltoppers by about five points.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, What the hell give me Western Kentucky fourteen confidence points?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say twelve. Gift suite includes a Parkland Duffel bag, a football nine line apparel, patriotic athletic where okay, okay, And it's also in Dallas and so same place as I just listed.
Speaker 1: Before the Franklin American Mortgage Mortgage Music City Bowl, I lost a spelling the situation on that word on mortgage mortgage in like the eighth grade. I lost one on college in fifth grade.
Speaker 3: That's probably worse.
Speaker 1: I put a D in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's also worse because then you can make jokes about like, well, I guess who's not going to call it?
Speaker 1: I know, right, it was very ironic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, rough.
Speaker 1: Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl, also on December the thirtieth ESPN. It's Mississippi State six and six. It is Louisville Louisville at seven and five, Mississippi State a four point favorite. Dan, let me ask you a very important question about this game. Which team do you think wants to be there more?
Speaker 3: Do you really want it? Probably Louisville, right, I think one of Scott Sadderfield I would in the resurrection, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I would think so. I think we have both genuinely been impressed by Louisville this season. Yeah, seven wins after the disaster that was twenty eighteen. I think they want this more. I'm not terribly confident in it, but all Hale, McHale, Cunningham and the Cardinals I got five confidence points in Louisville going out right here.
Speaker 3: So they won't have their starting left tackle. We mentioned that Mackai Becton is not going to play in the bowl game to prepare for the NFL Draft. And the good news is Louisville did win two of three to finish the season. They did beat Virginia Coastal champ. They beat Wake in that crazy shootout maybe the most entertaining or wildest ACC game of the season. Michael Cunningham is full on really good. This is an explosive passing offense. Receivers developed and built a rapport with McHale.
Speaker 1: They ran the ball.
Speaker 3: Pretty well, as you saw at least in that first half against Notre Dame to start the season. Their defense is legitimately rough all around, which is I think it'll make for an entertaining game because Mississippi State they actually finished the season pretty strong. We saw the weird egg Bowl win they beat down Kentucky, but that was pre linn Bowden. Kylon Hill appears to be playing, which is a pretty strong feather in Mississippi State's hat. Only an okay passing team, only okay against the run, and pretty bad against good throwers. So I'm going to take Louisville here as well, by I don't know, seven or eight points.
Speaker 1: We agree.
Speaker 2: We agree.
Speaker 3: Also, you're going to Nashville if you're going to this game, which is a really fun city. The gift suite includes a fossil watch. That's all I have down here. I would personally recommend like thirty seven different restaurants in Nashville, but the Burger at Husk which I think they only serve at lunch than their fried chicken at lunch is also excellent, Princes, if you really want to go og with the hot chicken. City House for pizza and beer was also very very good in the Germantown neighborhood.
Speaker 1: There have been in Nashville things. It's a good time. You should go. All right, two more games here, let's go to the Red Box Bowl.
Speaker 3: Dan, let's I can tell you all about this game because I skipped the second half last year to go eat Chinese food.
Speaker 1: Ah man, it's on Fox. It's Cal at seven and five. It's Illinois at six and six. Not the most appealing matchup. Gotta be honest, disagree. Cal is a seven point favorite. I love that Illinois completed the drive for six, of course, and I think they may want this game more. I am not at all sold that they're any good, and not to say that if you're playing in the Red Box Bowl you're a premier entity in college football, all right, But I think Cal's defense, I think even Cal's offense after Chase Garbage came back, Yeah, has a lot more to offer in this football game. Illinois will play with heart, no doubt, Lovie Smith's beard will remain a national treasure. Mm hmmm, as always, But I'm gonna go Cal here to the tune of nine confidence points. Okay, nine confidence points.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: A strong finish of the year for Cal. Other than getting killed by SC I think they won three other games to finish things out. They did have a tough time on offense without Chase Garber's but it was night and day when he was there. He was very promising. He succeeded in a still not great Cal offense. They lose their offensive coordinator Bobald when he takes the job at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo San Luis Obispo. The d was good all around. This was a good defense. I know Ash and Davis is not playing in this game. I believe starting safety still an incredible linebacking corps. Mister incredible. Evan Weaver is just all over the place and continues to be. And it was a ridiculous year for Illinois. Just couldn't really run, couldn't really pass, but just made it work chicken wire and duct tape and it all happened for them, closing out what Wisconsin Michigan State in a comeback and let's continue the edge trend.
Speaker 1: The transfer from usc alujolle.
Speaker 3: Betiku, wow, Betiku. I hope I nailed. That is full on dangerous and worth watching. I have Cal though by probably a couple touchdowns.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like Cal a lot.
Speaker 3: Here they were beat up near the end of the year. They lost to Northwestern.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just not putting a lot of confidence points on it, but I do like Al in this matchup. What is our gift situation here?
Speaker 3: The Red Box Bowl has a gift suite that includes a Nintendo switch light. Is that a handheld only switch? I believe so that's a good gift. That's a very good gift. A Nixon Watch, a turtle Bee, each set of gaming headphones, a Herschel backpack. Herschel backpack. That's quality. I need to look this up. How do you spell that h E R S C h E l Okay backpacks.
Speaker 1: Let's see how hersh I'll want to send us a Maggio. Oh look at that?
Speaker 3: Okay, pretty nice right, and gooder g O O d R sunglasses. It's a pretty nice haul. If you're going to the Red Box Bowl, and if you're going to I assume San Francisco if you're going to be staying somewhere near the game. I also have a San Jose recommendation, but del Popolo for pizza, no palito for sit down Mexican food. Latak Area is generally closed around the holidays, and that's my favorite burrito maybe in America. But if it's not, just look it up La Tak Area. Also get a sandwich from Deli board always good. But I would take recommendation.
Speaker 1: I would take one of these backpacks if Hersch'll send us one. Oh ah, I would take lot above that. This could double as a work backpack.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, it could. Okay, And if you're going to say Jose Area Mexico Bakery for a great torta.
Speaker 1: Will Dylan Mitchell, last year's MVP, be on hand to give out the official Red Box Bowl Championship jacket.
Speaker 3: Singing the national anthem.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay. And finally, on December the thirtieth, let's close it out with the Capitol one Orange Bowl. Dan Let's Florida ten and two Virginia nine and four. The Gators are a fourteen point favorite. Daniel, this is a game where I suspect you're gonna pick Virginia.
Speaker 3: No, I think I'm gonna take Florida really, I mean, even without CJ. Henderson. I love what Florida is able to do up front.
Speaker 1: When we now hold on. When we talked about this game, when the matchups were first revealed, I know you seem to hint at the fact that Virginia might want it more. If they do want it more, they definitely want it more, and you'd be inclined to go with the who's here.
Speaker 3: I think it's worth noting that that's a factor. But this is also a game in Florida with the Gators having a chance to make a statement going into twenty twenty in a big spot. What's on the thirtieth that's when they played the game. It's not a new year to day game. But Florida finished the season strong. They lose to Georgian LSU, right, that's okay. Those are teams in it for the playoff late. They didn't run the ball all that well. We had the long what Michael p Ryan run against Auburn, which broke that game out, but otherwise not a great running team. It was sort of short, intermediate passing game. But this was largely a very very good defense, especially up front. And for a kind of one note. Virginia offense a good note, mind you, in Bryce Perkins.
Speaker 1: That's tough.
Speaker 3: That's a tough thing to overcome, as well as Virginia finished the season out. They want to think five of six. I just I think there's too much speed. I think there's too much talent for Florida. Fourteen points feels like a lot, but especially with how Florida showed out against it was Michigan last year, right in the Peach Bowl. Yeah right, you know they're I think they're going to be ready. I think they're going to find the care by the time this, uh, this kickoff happens.
Speaker 1: Fourteen points is a big spread. It's large, a big spread in a bowl game. I like point. I said, Virginia give up to Clemson a lot. Yeah, a lot of points. Fifty two was.
Speaker 3: It sounds right, fifty two? Sixty two? I think it was sixty two.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It felt like one hundred and two. Yeah, So I like Florida a lot. Here. I got fifteen confidence points on him. Again, you know my drill later on in bowl season, once we start getting to these later games, I'm just not putting as many points on it because that's the strategy. But fifteen confidence points, I think Florida wins out right Capitol.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the loss of what Bryce Hall and some key secondary cogs, it's just we're not saying of Virginia defense at full strength. I think Florida's depth is just going to win out here. Do I have the Yes?
Speaker 2: I have.
Speaker 3: Gift suite includes a Tornau watch, our old friends at Torneau, and a full sized split helmet. So I guess it's a half Florida, half Virginia helmet.
Speaker 1: Oh is that the Laura Quinn helmet? Essentially it's something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a house divided helmet for anybody who is half Virginia half Florida. And if you're in the greater Miami area and you are hungry taquisa for tacos, I think it's pook, Yeah, Phuc, It's either fuk or pook. Yeah for via cajun Zach the baker for some great baked goods. I went there. I was in Miami last year. Really strong bakery Lukli, which is a Brooklyn pizzeria that's the best pizza in Brooklyn. They have an outpost in Miami and the line is probably shorter, go to there and Sangwich Sangwich Dey Miami for Cuban Sandwich for Cuban Sandoz.
Speaker 1: All right, well, here is the way this is going to break down. Yeah, Over the next week and a half or so, on Sunday, we will have our previews of the Chick fil A Peach Bowl, which is semifinal number one between LSU and Oklahoma, as well as the PlayStation Fiesta Bowl, which is semifinal number two Clemson against Ohio State. Later on in the week on Wednesday, as we now snap into our twice a week form, the bull Barge will continue on with a bunch of other games. We've got the Belk Bowl, the Tony the Tiger, Sun Bowl, oh Liberty Bowl, Arizona Bowl, Alamo Outback, Citrus Rose Bowl, and the All State Sugar Bowl. We do have one other bowl preview show that will drop after that, so the following weekend where we're going to preview five or six of the remaining games, and then eventually we'll get into our National Championship preview shows we get a little bit closer to the action, but a lot of bowl previews coming your way. As always, We're going to do our best to try and keep you aprize of what's going on in the coaching world. Coordinators moving around, who knows if head coaches will move around at some point, Certainly that has happened before. So whatever goes down, early draft announcements, guys sitting out their bowl games, any other news that might pop up between now and then, going to do our best here to try and keep you all up to speed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got recruiting, we got national signing there we're going to have to run down as well.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, So there you have it. We do appreciate everyone for stopping on buy. If you haven't already, Soliverble dot com slash pick them is how you can get in, submit your own confidence pool entry, compete for some gift cards from our friends over at roeback, and if you've got anything to say by all means, Soliverble at gmail dot com is how you can get touch. You can also look us up on social media, and if you haven't already subscribed to the show anywhere you get your podcasts, you can find this verbal. Just hit that subscribe button and get all of our content. Dan, That's all I got.
Speaker 3: You see the picture I sent you about like eight thirty this morning. The picture you sent me at eight thirty it was dessert packaging. Oh yeah, how'd it look Stroop waffle ice cream? It looks pretty damn good. It looks pretty good.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Did you take that picture for me or did you find it online?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I took that for you. Wow.
Speaker 3: And it was in the grocery store this morning and they had that that item.
Speaker 1: This is Trader Joe's brand Mini Stroop Wobble wo what I said, waffle waffle Waffle.
Speaker 3: It's the ice cream sandwiches. It looks it looks good, it looks fine.
Speaker 1: I want to get you in on the Stroop Waffle thing. They're pretty good. Look us up Stroop Waffle. That's not a brand. Look us up Joe for that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for my self. Tie Hilding Grant will be back in a few short days. Enjoy the rest of your week, enjoy your weekend, and in the meantime, stay solid.
Speaker 2: He