Speaker 1: Kabooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The Clearinghouse of Hot takes break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now in.
Speaker 3: The air every way, The Fifth Hour with Me, Big Ben and Danny g Radio. It is Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, and you have made me very happy. You've made Danny very happy. You are my most favorite person today because you're listening to this podcast. Otherwise, Danny, why are we doing the pot If no one's listening to the podcast, why would we be doing the pot cast? It's Saturday? What are we doing here? But fortunately you're listening, so thank you for that. I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: You would have zero soapboxes to stand on if you didn't have the podcast.
Speaker 3: I know, what would I do?
Speaker 1: Be a nightmare?
Speaker 3: Absolutely here, But it says seventeenth day of August today, and so we're getting a little closer here. You got a couple more Saturdays to go before the NFL starts. Is that right? I think my math is correct on.
Speaker 5: That we're just less than three weeks away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's almost.
Speaker 1: It's almost here.
Speaker 3: We usually look at all the dope holidays and there's anything good. Today. It's National Thrift Shop Day. That's a big day for Dick and Dayton. He loves those seth I like thrift shops too, but he really loves thrift shops. It's World Honeybee Day. Do they really need a day? Do they know just the honeybee? No, they have a day.
Speaker 5: Let me go, knowing that they're busy pollinating.
Speaker 3: It's National Massachusetts Day, he says, grab some turkey and Cranberry's. I'm good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the dvice, Holly, this is stupid.
Speaker 3: It's a dumb the dumb, dumb, dumb Black Cat Appreciation Day.
Speaker 1: Racist. I know you can't have that.
Speaker 3: Well, it is our Saturday podcast, and so the Life and Times of yours truly me and Danny g I know, Danny's gonna dazzle us with some stories coming up in a bit from his week that was, and hopefully have a fun fact and all that and whatnot.
Speaker 1: We talked yesterday on the pod about.
Speaker 3: Arnie the meet and not meet again, not meeting like military exercise malar militia, that would be me the general and then meeting with Arnie's army.
Speaker 1: So that was my dan Vermont.
Speaker 3: We drove back on that day through Dartmouth, as we talked about yesterday, and there's a long drive on Friday. Got back to Boston proper around nine a'clock or so. Got back to the hotel we're staying at in the Boston area around nine o'clock and so I got this be up my my Badonka Donk. I was like, you know what, I I know, I'm I'm gonna be leaving soon, but I want to see if I can meet with any listeners. I want to see if anyone will will hang out. And I didn't schedule anything. You know, normally with these meet and greets, you have someone who either owns a restaurant or has a friend that owns the restaurant, or puts the legwork in boots on the ground. They set up a venue and then you go there. It's like we did in Vegas. You know, our guys Slug in Vegas did a great job. He set the thing up at the bar. We had a great time. It was a lot of fun. Regina and Minnesota. She put that together. Our buddy in Charleston, he set up the deal down there. So that's usually what happens. But I was like, you know, I'm here. We have a lot of listeners in Boston. We do very well in the Sports Hub. The show does great there. It's the number one sports station in the country. All four four hours are cleared on the Sports Hub. It's it's a big deal. So I was like, I was like, I told my wife, I, why don't we go down to the North End. I love the North End of Boston. It's my favorite place in Boston. So in this bakery, which is great Boba's Bakery, because it's open.
Speaker 1: I think it's open all night.
Speaker 3: I know it's open to like three in the morning, and they do great business at night because people go eat the Italian food and there's a lot of college kids in Boston. They go out drinking and partying and then they go and they eat Canoli's at like two in the morning, and so they do very good business. So we got back the hotel. We drove all day at like nine to nine thirty.
Speaker 1: I think it was around then. Maybe not, it might have been earlier, but.
Speaker 3: I'd send a comment out at some point, probably a few hours actually before that, and I said, all right, we're gonna do a flash mob Boston mallord get together type thing. If anybody wants to meet me. I'm in town. I have a little time. I'll be at Boba's Bakery. And I think it was like, I'm not sure when it's gonna be, but it's gonna be too. I'll keep you posted. Gave a tentative time, and my wife's like, hey, we're you know, we're gonna be in the North End. Why don't we go eat dinner. There's there's great Italian restaurants there and the great Italian food Mecca in America. Better Italian food than in Italy. So like, all right, fine, and so I need some chicken palm. But we had to wait. So we got this this restaurant. The most amazing part of this is we found parking. You know how hard it is to find parking, Danny on the North End of Boston. It's street parking. It's it's like toon Town. It's a small world. It's it's crazy. But we found parking, and so we went to the restaurant.
Speaker 5: Well, a lot of people there just go with getaway drivers.
Speaker 3: It's pretty, it's it's an interesting place, Danny. We we found parking, we had to wait for a table. Finally got a table. They took their time giving us the food and so we ate and then I sent out a message on I'm like, okay, I'm heading over to Bobo's. I'll be there, you know, ten thirty eleven whatever it was. It was ten thirty.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: So we walked over and I didn't think anyone was really gonna be there. I was, you know, probably be very disappointed. But yeah, there were a bunch of people showed up. It was. It was.
Speaker 1: It was cool.
Speaker 3: We had a considering that I gave people a few hours notice.
Speaker 1: Uh it was it was neat.
Speaker 3: Blind Scott, who lives down the street, so it was like basically at his house. He walked over with Dylan, his dog ru ruh.
Speaker 5: Two of my favorite Bostonians.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Then you had a guy who happened to be named Dylan, but not the dog, just this cool guy that paints hockey rinks.
Speaker 4: Oh that must have been confusing anytime Blind Scott yelled for Dylan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a little a little weird, and but Dylan's like a really cool deal guy and he he's such a big fan of the show. He wanted to come down. It was raining that I should point that out. It was, you know, still raining in Boston, and he left his girlfriend in the car and he walked over. We're all standing in the rain. We're standing in the rain in front of Bova's Bakery. I got blind Scott, his dog, deal, my wife was with me. I got Dylan, the other Dylan's there. We're all getting soaked. And then Masshole Mickey, the legend Masshole Mickey. He drove an hour and a half in the rain, last.
Speaker 5: Minute dead occasion.
Speaker 3: And I was so taken. Aback this poor guy. All right, you talk about it behind the eight ball, Okay, getting kicked in the nuts from your health. Masshole Mickey in the last month has had a heart attack and a stroke. In fact, he's got a device over his heart to make sure it still works. And he drove ninety minutes in the rain to stand outside and hang out. That's how big a fit end of the show he is. Just I was just so I was so taken aback by that it was awesome. It was great to meet him. Cool guy and obviously loves loves the show and what we do, and you know, give me his whole backstory and all that. I mean, get the guy's already back at work because he doesn't have he has to work. He doesn't have this job where he can take months off, and he's got family and kids. He's got to put food on on the plate and all that. So he drives a truck and I think.
Speaker 1: He does deliveries.
Speaker 5: I believe.
Speaker 1: I believe around Boston.
Speaker 3: So he was, he was there, We were all standing around, he took some photos, were standing in the rain and all that, and uh, you know, raining and raining and raining. And then I was like, I got to get out of here because this is ridiculous, the weather and and whatnot. And so then I was like, I told the wife, I'm like, all right, listen, it's not it's raining, But why don't we just we can go back to the to the car. We had parked a few blocks away, and my wife said, no, I'm not I'm not doing that. I'm not walking you know, four blocks in the ring. So I said, all right, I'll bite the bullet, just call an uber. So she calls an uber. Now it's it's rush pricing for uber because it's it was like Friday night, it's kind of late, and it's there's not a lot of people who are available, so.
Speaker 1: We paid for it was a long wait.
Speaker 3: Anyway, this taxi pulls up and it's filled with these college kids the taxi and so all right, fine whatever, and I didn't think of it, and the taxi driver starts shaking us down. He's like, hey, you want to ride? And my wife's like how much? You know again, we're going four blocks. We're going four blocks, and so my wife gives him the address and the guy says thirty bucks. Yeah, and I'm like absolutely not. So then the guy's like shaken down the wife. He's like, well, you know, if you wait call for an uber, you know it's going to take you half an hour, and you know, you know, maybe even longer than that. You're standing in the rain. I'm right here right now. I've got you know, kids, I've got you know, I have all these bills I need to pay, I need money, and those whole this whole thing, which is total bullshit because I know for a fact, knowing how cabs are supposed to work. They have this thing called a meter, right, and and the way where you get in the cab is like a couple bucks to get in the cab, and then for every mile or whatever they charge you. Whatever it did. But if they had charged us New York City prices, I know we're in Boston, that cab ride would have been maybe twelve bucks, maybe twelve bucks, thirty bucks.
Speaker 1: And my wife's like, well this, just do it. I want to get out of the rain.
Speaker 3: So, you know, Danny, every once in a while, you got to take one for the team. So we got absolutely ripped off by a Boston cabby to go four blocks thirty bucks. Thirty bucks because it happened to be raining. Ah yeah, good good times, good time. Now the one that got away, the one I'm bummed out about. The person that I also wanted to meet that I didn't get a chance to meet. This guy, I would argue, is the biggest fan of the show that I had, Alf, the alien o Pinter who Alf lives kind of near Springfield, so it's a bit of a drive and I had reached out to Alf to let him know, and he follows me on X and all that. I said, Hey, I'm going to be there. I'd love to meet you. And Alf wanted to do it, but the weather was terrible. I totally get it. The weather was bad and he didn't like you know, driving at night and parking on the North End is terrible, and so he just didn't end up doing it, which is a bummer. But he was considering it, but it didn't happen. So Alf still a man of.
Speaker 1: Mystery or alien of mystery. So there is that.
Speaker 3: But nothing I do Danny can match the tales of Danny G Radio. The life and times of Danny G Radio, the microphone throttler, a man with a young child.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, CoA had his first birthday which was an adventure and then some I'll put it this way to wrap up his first birthday party, which was great. By the way, everybody from the radio show in the afternoon, Covino and Rich they were able to make the party. We did it in beautiful Oxnard Shores at Mandalay Beach. There perfect weather when we left the San Fernando Valley. It was one hundred degrees when we landed in Oxnard by the water. It was a beautiful seventy two and sunny with a little bit of a breeze. Put out the lawn chairs. I put out the that Have you ever seen the game ladder Ball?
Speaker 3: No? I have no. What is that?
Speaker 4: If you have a get together, it's worth the investment, Like the pro ladder ball set needs to be sturdy because you throw these two balls that are tethered together, try to hook them onto three different levels.
Speaker 5: Think cornhole. It's the same kind of scoring.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, okay, now I didn't know that was what it was called. Yeah, that's a cold balls are different colors, right, not the kind of balls I like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. So I had played this when we were camping in more Obey. You know, I think it's like seventy eighty bucks for a really good version of the game because you don't want it to fall down when your balls hit it, so well, you don't want to falling when your ball smack it.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, to protect the balls.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, So eighty dollars for some good balls. It was well worth it, though, man, because that game was a big hit. There was one incident there. My wife was also celebrating the middle kid's birthday because he was on his way to Sooner Country. As I talked about a couple of weekends ago. Birthday was on August tenth, so we did that a week early to combine the two birthday parties. Koa, he gets his birthday cake, he sticks his foot in it. Oh, he gets a little taste of it. Wasn't interested in the cake, ben He really just wanted the toy sharks that were on top of it. He wanted to smash it with his fist in his foot, slap around a little bit.
Speaker 5: And then my wife.
Speaker 4: He brings out the second cake for the middle Sun gives a little speech to everybody about how proud she is of him for getting accepted to Oklahoma and explain that he was going to be on his way to go start school and she gets emotional.
Speaker 5: He goes over and gives her a big hug.
Speaker 4: Problem she had had the cake in her hands at this time. She tries to do the waitress move. She slips the cake into one hand and holds it. Think about how a major d would be holding a.
Speaker 3: Ladder statue of liberty.
Speaker 4: Yes, and the cake proceeds to slide off of it, slide off her hand and smashes onto the ground. It's a total pancake. It was a big marble sheet cake. This thing literally was a pancake. But to her credit, she didn't flinch, She held the hug.
Speaker 3: She stayed in the moment.
Speaker 4: Her mom was the only one who got the crash on tape. She has crashed footage. The faces around this cake splashing on the ground were marvelous, kind of like that still photo we look at sometimes of Michael Jordan and that amazing shot he made in Utah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, at first, she didn't know.
Speaker 4: How to react, whether to laugh or be upset about all the calories going down the drain. Nobody even got to taste this thing. Of course, that didn't stop rich Davis. He went down with his hand, grabbed a scoop of the cake in his hand and ate it, just.
Speaker 5: To let her know it still tastes.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, well the part that wasn't touching the grass.
Speaker 1: You can pay you do it quick.
Speaker 3: You're probably okay, right, you're right.
Speaker 4: I don't know that was the cake, the semi cake disaster, but it wound up being a funny moment. The night was finally over, we collapsed into chairs in the hotel room. My wife looked at me, and she said, we are not having another birthday party until he's like five years old.
Speaker 5: And that's if he asks for one.
Speaker 3: In the moment that she's saying that, but you know, given a little bit of time, she'll be, oh, we gotta have a party. You know, this is like this is probably the last kid or whatever.
Speaker 4: You know, that whole thing, right, Yeah, it's kind of that same theory when you ask people why in the hell they decided to have another kid.
Speaker 5: You know, it's a long, long nine months. It zaps you.
Speaker 4: It's it's obviously super memorable and special, but at the same time, flat out exhausted, and you wonder how do people have multiple kids? And she tells me that the way it works is that once people fast forward a couple of years and the kid is one two years old, they're not thinking back to how hard the whole process was.
Speaker 5: They just have the end result. So then people make the mistake of doing it again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they block out. It's like you get in the car accidents and you block out the bad place arts, you know, you know those life maybe car accidents not the greatest example, but you when you like when you have a traumatic event in your life.
Speaker 1: You have like amnesia or something. You block it out.
Speaker 3: It's a repressed memory. You remember the good and hide the bad. Right, you remember the wonderful things of having a child, and what an amazing thing, and you've created something that will hopefully outlast you and continue on and continue humanity. And you forget all the shitty diapers and uh, you know, days the kids were you know, an asshole or all that stuff. Right, you block it out, otherwise humanity would not continue.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't you know, mean to knock parents that have more than one baby at home, but I can't imagine having two babies at the house, or even two youngsters at the home at the same time. The middle one did get on the road bend. He did not show up for that tattoo appointment. Oh yeah, really, we were taking bets on that a couple of weekends ago. I was there at the tattoo appointment by myself. As I predicted, chickened out of that. But he did make it to Oklahoma. His uncle and older brother went on the road trip with him. It took them two days of driving to make it to the beautiful state of Oklahoma, and when they got there, they were so amused by the prices of everything.
Speaker 5: He's like, Mom, I got a Hamburger combo.
Speaker 4: It was only eight dollars, and you know here we pay sixteen dollars for the same thing. He was taking prices of gas stations and comparing and contrasting everything to what he knows growing up in southern California. So not just the prices, but he loves the wide open spaces there and loves the campus so far taking all these sooner pictures, he got the tour of the stadium and he is a happy college student right now.
Speaker 5: No classes have started yet.
Speaker 3: Well that's when the rubber meets the road right there. That's that's why we find out. But yeah, I've been to that campus. I've told the story before. But one of my great gigs I had it was a one off. I got hired to do sidelines for a network radio broadcast of Oklahoma, Nebraska back when that was like a big deal, so many years ago. But they flew me into Oklahoma City, we drove over to Norman and it was one of my fond memories. The pomp and circumstance, big rivalry. You know, this was a long time ago. Danny and we were younger. Oklahoma Nebraska was a one of the big time matchups in college football, and I just remember being around there and it was such a different world. And I'd not been to anything like that either at that time of my life, and it was it was just awesome to see see everything.
Speaker 1: You're gonna go back there.
Speaker 3: Right, You're gonna go down to Oklahoma for a game or something like that and not the plan?
Speaker 5: Yeah, next month in September, they're going to do family day.
Speaker 3: What part of September early late September.
Speaker 4: What do we look at September fourteenth, Okay perdue at Oklahoma that Saturday, and so all the kids families are going to be in town getting the tour. That's when I'll have my first experience in ok c slash Norman.
Speaker 3: I remember seeing we got there a couple of days before the game, and I remember seeing Lee Corso in blue jeans and like a tank top walking around and Lee, who's old now and kind of barely hanging on.
Speaker 5: Did he have a mascot head on?
Speaker 1: And no, But it was the funniest thing.
Speaker 3: Lee was old men and like there were these you know, college dudes and a few women that were kind of like ogling Lee Corse. That was pretty funny. I still I still remember that. What else, there was a couple of things I wanted to get to on the Saturday pod here. Oh, the Motor City Marathon. I did not realize I was doing the Motor City Marathon. So on the way back from Boston we made flew back on Sunday, now Saturday. I spent the entire day. My brother came up from New York with his wife and we just hung out. We went to a couple different locations in New England. There we actually ended up technically in three states. Actually what no, I think we did? Yeah? Three?
Speaker 1: Now three states are four states? I who knows.
Speaker 3: We were started out where the Salem witch trials were in Salem, walked around. My wife loves going to Stems, so we had to Salem, had lunch. Then we drove up to New Hampshire and hung out there, had a fine time, did the did the kind of like an ice cream thing. Then right across this bridge is Kidtery Kitterly, Maine. So technically we're in Maine. But my people in Maine tell me that's not really Maine, that's fake Maine. It's not in Portsmith, New Hampshire. And then you cross a bridge that's not real Maine, but we were. It said welcome to Maine when we drove across the bridge. So I consider myself in Maine. If I had died there, it would have said I died in Maine. So I was in Maine, just not real Maine.
Speaker 1: So that was that was it.
Speaker 3: We stayed out late, had a morning flight, had to get to the airport at like we got up at like three thirty in the morning.
Speaker 1: It stuck.
Speaker 3: Had to get to return the rental car, which I didn't even get to that story. I have to tell that at some point they all do it tomorrow. But so we get to the rental car place, and we hate Lax so much. We could have gotten NonStop flights from Boston to Lax, no problem, no prob at all, but we said we don't want to go to Lax. So we ended up flying to a different airport in southern California, but there were no non stops, so that meant on the way to Boston we stopped in Atlanta, which I don't mind. I love the Atlanta airport. What a great airport. I'd live in Atlanta just because of the airport. Like Tom Tommy in Atlanta, what a wonderful airport.
Speaker 4: I saw a university banned or for him live. When the super Bowl was at Atlanta, there was a band, a marching band inside the airport welcoming people in for the big game.
Speaker 1: That's cool, that's neat.
Speaker 3: They got a subway that takes you to the different terminals and so so cool. But anyway, on the way back, we had to stop in Detroit, and I hadn't been to the Detroit airport and some time I have vague memories of it. But we're very tired. I can't sleep. I was kind of in zombie mode. Actually was supposed to read something on the plane that was very important that a you know, a project I'm working on with with a friend, and I told them I would read it. And I tried to read it.
Speaker 5: A scientology pamphlet.
Speaker 3: Yes, And I was just trying to read it, and I just you know how when you're really tired and kind of half awake, half asleep, you can't really focus. So I had to email. I emailed the guys that you know, I'm really sorry. I just want to I want to give this the proper attention it deserves, and I'm in zombie MoES. But we get to Detroit. It's very short flight to Detroit from Boston, and we're at at the airport that we flew Delta Delta Delta Delta. So we get a gate ten and then we had to change planes and go to the different plane to get back to southern California.
Speaker 1: So we look and it says your.
Speaker 3: Next flight is at gate seventy seven, so we had to go through sixty seven gates. Now, they do have a tram at the Detroit airport, but it's not nearly as efficient as the one in Atlanta. They have a lot of walking, you know those things that go on there. There will walk people, movers, so we did a lot of those. But I had to go to the bathroom. But my whole strategy was I've got to get close to the next gate because if I go to the bathroom here and then I have to I'd rather just get to the gate and then go to the bathroom, thinking it wouldn't take all that long, And it took forever, and there were some really nice restaurants, but it was early in the morning. This was probably by the time we got to Detroit, I think it was like nine o'clock in the but they have like a PF. Chanin's in the airport, like a full PF. Chang's. They had a Coney Island Dog, that famous Detroit hot dog. They had a location there. I actually wanted to eat that because I'd heard I'd never had one of those, and I've heard that's like the Detroit hot Dog. I like the extended winer. But I was like, it's in the morning, I'm fasting, I can't eat it. I kept going, I'm looking back, my wife's I'm losing my wife. She's behind me, She's not keeping the pace, you know, And I'm like, oh crap. And but I barely made it to the bathroom before we had a unfortunate situation which would have been really difficult, very difficult on the flight back. But then the plane Danny on the flight from Detroit back to southern California not properly insulated.
Speaker 1: I determined, now, how did I determine that I.
Speaker 3: Was freezing my ass off and my my wife also, and so they actually had to give were we were not sitting in first class. We were sitting in like the middle of the plane. It was so cold because we were near it like a door thing in an exit row. Because they have extra leg room. They gave us blankets to try to keep us warm.
Speaker 1: It was that bad.
Speaker 3: They had us blankets, and that didn't even really do much. I don't think I've ever been that cold on a plane. It was craziness, absolute craziness. But obviously we made it back and survived. I was I was pretty much a zombie on the Sunday and the Monday Show. I am such a radio loser. Let's get to the idiom of the week.
Speaker 5: The id of the week, all.
Speaker 1: Right, idiom of the week is bee line. You could say I made a bee line for.
Speaker 3: The bathroom Danny when I got off that plane and then had to get on another plane. So the roots of the word phrase or idiom b line is pretty simple. Pretty simple began with beekeepers. Shocking it goes back. It first appeared in print in the eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 1: Eighteen twenties.
Speaker 3: A research journal, American Quarterly Review, used bee line to describe the movement made by bees when beekeepers observed their flight patterns. However, it's not exactly that. Let me explain bees do not actually fly in a straight line.
Speaker 5: They don't.
Speaker 3: They do not. In fact, they fly in a zigzag pattern because wind, turbulence, whatever. They are not flying straight. They make sharp turns, they have evasive flying patterns and whatnot, and it's all resistance.
Speaker 1: Bee line.
Speaker 3: What it actually refers to is the lack of stops or distractions. There's no rest stops for the bees when they're flying back to the bee home, the b ness, the beehive, after collecting nectar or the pollen, whatever you want to say. And so, yeah, they might not fly in a straight line, but they fly in a bee line back to bring the pollen the nectar back to the queen bee. And so the idiom of the week, yeah, bee line, which goes back to the eighteen hundreds and is about the perseverance, not the actual flight pattern, but the perseverance the bees take to get back.
Speaker 1: All right, That is it Saturday here, daddy, No radio for you.
Speaker 3: Right, nothing you have to worry about today. You're good on that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just a day of recovery after waking up at four am and staying awake all day long all week.
Speaker 5: You know, you already know all about the third shift.
Speaker 4: But when you jump from some other schedule right into that and then back into the regular schedule, it really messes with your your sleep clock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent, hundred percent.
Speaker 3: It's it took me a day a going from the East coast and running around getting back. And like I said, that's Sunday and the Monday show I was on FUMES.
Speaker 4: I was just jet lag radio. But that's when you do some of your best work because you over focus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you gotta just keep persevering, right, And that other thing is, even if you think you're a suck bag, most people listening don't pay that close attention, so they might not hear how bad you think you are, and you're probably not and you're probably not as bad as you think you are. Anyway, all Right, we'll get out on that, have a wonderful rest Saturday. We'll have the mail bag on Sunday, and we'll talk.
Speaker 5: To you then later. Skater by Relations