Speaker 1: You can watch the original episode we'll be discussing in every other episode of HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm, including the new and final season, on Max. You can also watch the video version of the History of Curb Your Enthusiasm podcast on Max and YouTube as well. Links available in the episode description. All Right, so we are here. It is Jeff Garland Enthusiasm. Yes, on the history of Curby Enthusiasm. Yes.
Speaker 2: And I will be enjoying a green jow juice as we move along.
Speaker 1: And I am having a water in my Curb Your Enthusiasm water bottle.
Speaker 2: I've got a few of those different things, some I don't care about. I think the coolest thing we've ever gotten is curb Monopoly. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just got Have you played it yet? I haven't opened it.
Speaker 2: I haven't opened it. No, And you know, I'm a monopoly freak. That's my favorite game.
Speaker 3: I you know what, Cindy, my daughter noticed it the other day and she was like, Oh, can you play that at Christmas? I was like, yeah, that'll be fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know who my Monopoly buddy is, Gary Goleman.
Speaker 3: Ah, very funny guy.
Speaker 2: I think I'm going to get all of us to sign one and give it to him for his birthday next year. He's the sweet I love him. He's one of my favorite people on earth.
Speaker 1: That's very nice, funny. So you'll have to bring it to New York next time you come.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: The Boat's Eye Season five, episode two, Man, you know, I just watched these and it's just it just feels like yesterday. We start out with Larry telling the story. We don't know who he's speaking to. He's telling the story about his father in the hospital, and then you know, tells a hut and then he said, you're adopted.
Speaker 3: He said.
Speaker 1: At first he said you're a doctor. I know I'm not a doctor. He said you're adopted. And then we see he's talking to Omar Jones and he says.
Speaker 2: To me, you're adopted.
Speaker 4: He said, I think he said that. Maybe he said you're a doctor. I don't know, But why would he say I'm a doctor. I would know if I'm a doctor.
Speaker 2: What do you think you would until now to tell you?
Speaker 4: Maybe thought he was dying. I'm still not one hundred percent sure that he said it.
Speaker 2: So basically, what you're saying is you want me to find out if you adopted or not.
Speaker 1: Yes, who is a private detective. He's a black man.
Speaker 2: Ray by Mackay Phifer.
Speaker 3: I believe Mackay Pfeiffer wearing a bow tie.
Speaker 2: Do you know how he ended up doing the show. There's always these weird things, tell me, he and I. You know, I always turned down these types of shows, always, Dann just type shows. I'm getting into it, like the okay, forget reality, just these games, showy things. I once did family Feud with the Goldbergs versus Blackish.
Speaker 3: That's a promo thing. They make it do well, it was.
Speaker 2: I was actually playing for charity. Yeah, so my charity. My charity was fuck cancer and I think they made twenty five g's anyhow, That's the only other thing.
Speaker 1: Can I just can I just tell you something, Jeff on what was that show? The Millionaire Show? I raised one hundred thousand dollars for charity. I was very proud of myself.
Speaker 2: And I did another show with Chelsea Handler. She was the I was playing against her and she killed me. Password hosted by I did Password hosted by Regis Philbin Like, yeah.
Speaker 4: I did that one.
Speaker 2: To the reason I did it is to be near Regis. I love Regis by the way, I would have said yes to any game show he did.
Speaker 1: By the way you said, Chelsea Handler was your person on password?
Speaker 3: Do you know who my other guest was on password?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: It was quite special. Who Betty White?
Speaker 2: Oh? You lucky?
Speaker 3: Fuck very lucky. And my guy won one hundred grand. He was my partner. He won a hundred thousand dollars. That was amazing.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: One of the answers was lice, and when I couldn't come up with it, blockage Duke had lice at the exact same time, but Mackay I was on Celebrity Poker with Mackay Pfeiffer and I made it when we were playing and we were having a ball. We kicked all the other celebrities and whatever. So it's just he and I playing at the end, you know, to go to the big game, and we had a ball. We connected, really liked each other. Well, this part came up and I just said, can we have Mackay Fifer do it? And everyone said yes. And by the way, you watch it and you go, that guy's a star. And I haven't seen him in anything in a while. I don't know what's going on. I haven't talked to him. I actually careers. Oh no, No, that's the thing you have to tell a young comedian that they need to know this that I don't care how successful you are in either acting music. You know, look at the family. You know, John Travolta had a big low. So that's just alone big low. Arnold was governor, so I wouldn't call that a big low. But and they're back up now I'm saying, it's like, I don't care how big you are. Tom Cruise. I had a space and time where he wasn't what he is now again, and it's always a roller coaster, and I'm hoping that there's not a big roller coaster for me in my there is.
Speaker 3: Oh you're a little old for that. At this point, I think old for a roller coaster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you know, you reach a certain age and you reach a certain thing, and you know.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I have no idea what I mean.
Speaker 3: Your career is established, yes, stablish.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing. I'm a comedian and I'm a photographer. Those are the two things that I do that create money. My photography has been charity and comedy. I do charity events, but my dream is in the future as a whatever I decide, I'm always going to do stand up until I can't do it anymore. And I'm also going to do photography intil I can. But that's my dream combo. And if I got called for something, unless it's a great piece of material, I'm never doing another TV series. And I can do a limited series that like an awesome one, but I'm retired from TV series. Unless Larry goes, I want to do this series I'm in. So it would take something like that.
Speaker 1: But you know, talking about people who have had late renaissances, Betty White is somebody.
Speaker 3: Who had a later in life renissana.
Speaker 2: And she was really big in the seventies. Yeah, I mean I think of her on the Mary Tyler Moore show.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you. I'll tell you a story, the password story about her. This shows what a pro she was.
Speaker 1: So she was in her nineties by this point when I did this celebrity password with her, and she.
Speaker 3: Was hard of hearing. I mean, she was so sharp and so with it, but she was hard of hearing.
Speaker 2: Till the end. Anywhere she shot, she was amazing.
Speaker 1: So her dressing room was right next to mine, and the woman who was. Her assistant had to speak really loud so that she could hear, so I overheard everything. And Betty asked her who was the other celebrity, and she said Susie Esmand and she said, I don't know who she is. She she said she's in Curb Your Enthusiasm. And Betty said, oh, I don't really like that show. And the assistant said, well, she's very funny in it.
Speaker 3: She is.
Speaker 1: She has a big mouth, she's always cursing and blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. So then I meet Betty for the first time and she couldn't you know, she was lovely. She couldn't have been more gracious, and she said to me, Susie, Oh, I'm so happy to meet you. I love the show. Please tell everyone on the show. I said, hello, and watch your mouth. She said, and watch your mouth. So she knew immediately, Wow, to develop rapport with me because we were going to be working together.
Speaker 2: You have no choice. You cannot be you can't come out I don't really like the show. Don't even say you've never said it.
Speaker 3: Show was not insulted at all. I found it funny.
Speaker 2: You would have loved your either way. But holy but I found it.
Speaker 1: I said, Okay, this is a pro who's going to be working with me now for the next two three hours, and she's going to develop a rapport with me, and she knew exactly what to say.
Speaker 3: I just found it so amusing.
Speaker 2: I don't think she probably fell in love with you as the program.
Speaker 3: We had a great time.
Speaker 1: We had a great, great time, and I was thrilled to have had that experience with her.
Speaker 2: By the way, a lot of times I found in show business the people who irritate me the most when I meet them at a party, I fall in love with them. There's a couple of examples of people I just couldn't watch them anymore. They just buged me.
Speaker 3: They irritate you on screen, yes, on.
Speaker 2: Screen, And by the way, they all had talent, I just the way they were using it, and numerous people. But then you go to a party and they're there, and your own oh no, so and so is here, and somehow you get together, either in a group or single and they're the best person that.
Speaker 3: Could work the other way around, What do you mean?
Speaker 1: There could be people who you really admire their work and then you meet them and their assholes.
Speaker 2: Oh that is, you know, her ainting one of my two mentors, Harold Ramis and pal Mazerski. I was very lucky to have both of them. And Harold Ramis always said to me. He kept saying, you don't want to meet your heroes, especially in comedy, you don't want to meet your heroes. And I've had that experience and nothing to be said.
Speaker 1: However, I met my hero in the last season, mel Brooks, and he couldn't have been lovelier.
Speaker 3: So they you go, yeah, yeah, no, you no one.
Speaker 2: No, No, I'm not saying it's everyone. I'm saying there's exceptions. Mel Brooks would certainly be one. But I am saying that I've had the situation with I was excited.
Speaker 3: And you shouldn't. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: So here we are with Omar Jones, the private investigator, and Larry's telling him he wants him to find out if he's adopted, and Omar Jones says, well, how did you find out about me? And Larry said, there was a big article about you and everybody said you were the best, and Omar Jones says, look, I serve the community and you don't really qualify for being a part of my community.
Speaker 3: It's just a white guy.
Speaker 1: And Larry, being the totally tone deaf character that he is, starts trying to convince Omar Jones that.
Speaker 3: He he can.
Speaker 1: He said he'll call a bingo game, he'll donate old sneakers.
Speaker 2: Totally Mackay right away goes, I don't think those will be of health now, But I don't think sneakers I think is funny. But him calling a bingo game as a suggestion awesome.
Speaker 1: And then he says he could be a big brother, and Omar Jones says he'll talk to the community leaders. But then of course, Life says, but you know, just like one time, I'll just take a kid once to a movie.
Speaker 3: Is it not like a continual? It's true to his character.
Speaker 1: Then he asks Omar Jones for key to the men's room, and then he says that mister Jones, I love the bow tie because he's wearing a bow tie. And Larry's in the bathroom and all the stalls are filled except the handicap stall is empty, and Larry uses the handicap stall and he comes out and there is a guy in a chair very angry at him for using the handicapped stall.
Speaker 2: What are you doing using the bathroom?
Speaker 3: That's my stall?
Speaker 2: Did you see that the placard on the ses?
Speaker 4: I know, but somebody was using the other one, so I, well, then you wait.
Speaker 2: I couldn't wait. It was an emergency.
Speaker 6: I had to go.
Speaker 4: There's one stall for me, and you're it. You know, if you were here, I would have given you first nips. But honestly, I haven't seen a handicapped person in the bathroom maybe ever, so I thought I could perhaps take my chance to.
Speaker 2: A handicap person.
Speaker 4: That's nice.
Speaker 2: Oh that's nice. It's called disabled disabled. That doesn't sound so hot, by the way, I just want in former viewers. I don't care about political correctness, but I do care about respect, and that's not what they call it anymore.
Speaker 3: Handicapped, Well, that's we're going to get to that.
Speaker 2: They call it, oh yeah, because they argue. Yeah, But back then it was that adjustment in names like also mentally challenged, mentally retarded. You know, yeah, that exchange. You know, you spend thirty years using the wrong word and it goes to something else. But you have to respect people and you have to accept it.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: So the guy in the wheelchair that we don't have a nighbors says, it's not a handicapped person, it's called disabled.
Speaker 2: I want to say, for our show, except for one occasion, I think everybody who's in a wheelchair is a paraplegic, etc. Like we used real people, you know. It wasn't like an actor can walk all around sitting in a wheel.
Speaker 3: And then sits in a wheelchair. Yeah, we'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Stay tuned, and we're back, and Larry prefers handicapped. And then Larry is with you and questions to black men who wear bow ties?
Speaker 3: Are they always Muslim?
Speaker 2: How do I spun?
Speaker 1: I think you say that you think they are generally, You're not sure. You're not sure. And then Larry is he's a guy who pulls in. He's outside, he pulls into.
Speaker 2: A Tom Virtue. Tom Virtue a great, great actor. Yeah, great character actor. You've seen him in a million things. He's always great. He was really good in Green Book. He played the maitre d who wouldn't let him in, and it was all Yes, a gentle Southern accent which he doesn't have. And he has a special accent that's coming up.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, because Larry that this guy Tom what's his name, Tom Virtue? Tom Virtue parks in the disabled spot whatever, and.
Speaker 3: Larry calls him out on it, and he says, what.
Speaker 2: It's with the walking?
Speaker 6: Fuck you?
Speaker 5: I have a stutter, Yeah, but you can walk. Look at my license plate. I have permission, fucking brick.
Speaker 1: Fuck you, I have a stutter. And he has a handicapped plate or a disabled plate. Then he's in the restaurant with you, well.
Speaker 2: By the way, and it is a really hysterical moment, and Larry thinking up the idea, what would be an impediment that's not big enough and has nothing to do with walking or.
Speaker 1: Drive with and driving of course nothing. And then he's in the restaurant with you and he tells you that they got a dog. And Jody Funkhauser played by mayam Bi Alec, we were talking about game shows before Jeopardy host also she starred on The Big Bang Theory.
Speaker 3: And then she she's an interesting woman.
Speaker 1: She left the business I recall to be a neuroscientist and then came back. She sees them and she just goes crazy over Larry.
Speaker 3: She ignores you completely.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh, hi, Jeff, Larry Larry, Larry, and she's like crazy over Larry and barely says hello to you.
Speaker 3: And she's there with her dad, Marty Funkouser.
Speaker 1: She's Marty funkauser's daughter, and she he says, are you're coming to the party, to the twenty fifth anniversary reporting you're like I am, and she just could care less what you're doing, and she's all over Larry.
Speaker 3: And then we find out when she leaves lesbians love Larry.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm really upset, I said, do you notice? Did you notice she could barely handle me being there and ignore me, but she was happy to see you.
Speaker 3: Oh that's up.
Speaker 2: Larry to say, lesbians love.
Speaker 1: Me, lesbians love him, and you say friend, oh, lesbians friend o Lesbians.
Speaker 3: They completely embrace him.
Speaker 1: And as he's talking to you, he discovers the men's room key in his pocket and he sees a guy in a bow tie and he says, you know, that's a smart look, baby, I'm gonna start wearing a bow tie. And then Marty comes over to the booth and says, are you coming to the party, and he says, Larry's on the fence.
Speaker 3: You know, Larry, he doesn't like to go to.
Speaker 2: A party, old none classic Bob, are you coming pa the party? No, No, it's gonna be great, it'll be the greatest. You'll have a ball, you know. That was so that's Bob offstage too, you know, the enthusiast.
Speaker 1: I remember shooting that scene at the party with him that day and we were laughing. So if we were in uncontrollable laughter that day, I just remember it.
Speaker 2: Well. By the way, remember the thing that he always did, he'd call you. That's the joke that we'll get to. That is my favorite. It's one of my favorite jokes of all time. But after filming, he would call you, I, Larry, we all got this phone call. Wasn't that great? Wasn't that great? That scene was great? And we all got that call and I miss it. Miss It's so painful, you know.
Speaker 1: So he tells Larry that Rosie O'Donnell is coming, and she's sitting next to Larry.
Speaker 2: By the way, that premise is awesome. Well nowhere it goes. It's just so funny. He's and Larry's excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah he's a and then he's like, Okay, I'm gonna come. He's thinking about coming, and Larry tells him that they saw Jody. Jody looks great, and Marty tells him she's dating a guy and it's serious and she's no longer gay, and Larry overly enthusiastic.
Speaker 4: It's fantastic, congratulations, good for you.
Speaker 2: She's not a lesbian anymore.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, good doing.
Speaker 2: I'll see you soon.
Speaker 3: Hey, I'll see at the party. That's fantastic. She's not a lesbian anymore.
Speaker 1: And you see Marty's face, just that drop of his face, and he's not happy. And then Larry walks into the house and Cheryl was standing there, and Cheryl says.
Speaker 3: We need to talk.
Speaker 2: It's over.
Speaker 3: What's over marriage?
Speaker 2: Why would our marriage be over? He said, we need to talk.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we need to.
Speaker 3: Talk about Marty fan Kauser's party.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, I thought I forget it.
Speaker 1: I know what you think.
Speaker 4: Well, you know you said we need to talk. Generally, when couples break up, that's how they introduce it. You know, we need to talk. So I just thought it.
Speaker 1: Was well, why would why would you even think that?
Speaker 2: This is one of the most subtle, funny scenes I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: And Larry's respond says, what it's over? If the marriage is over? And she's like, why would our marriage be over? No, we need to talk about whether or not we're going to go to funk houses party. I need to RSVP And she's like, why would you think that?
Speaker 3: And he said, well, in all my past relationships, when a woman says to me we need to talk, that means they're breaking up with me.
Speaker 1: But Cheryl notices that he lit up, you know. She's like, well, why would you look light up like that? He says, well, just a defense mechaicine them. And she's like, are we going? And Rosie's going to be at our table and I might wear a boat's tie. They decide they're going to go, and then this is a knock at the door and it's Wanda. She wants to look at their new house. And their new houses are rental because their other house is being renovated, and Wanda doesn't like it.
Speaker 3: It's it's cold like a hotel.
Speaker 1: And she tells Larry to put on a bellman's cap and Larry asks her, wander, let me.
Speaker 3: Ask you a question.
Speaker 1: Is it wrong to assume a black man wearing a bow tie is a Muslim?
Speaker 3: And want it gets pistol.
Speaker 1: And she's she's like, I'm not your link to the black community. Stop asking me about black people. And this is something that white people tend to do. I think ask about black people, you ask black people questions, like when white people see a black person, they immediately think about race, you know, and ask them about race.
Speaker 3: I've had black friends tell me this.
Speaker 2: Well, but by the way is we both have and have worked with numerous people of color. I disagree, and I'll tell you why. When I see someone in a wheelchair, I actually talk to them about everything. I asked questions and they're thrilled to answer. Nobody asked them.
Speaker 1: Well, you're not disagreeing with me, You're just saying that you don't do that well.
Speaker 2: But I'm saying, like, for example, one night, a guy was in the audience and I may have talked about this before. A guy was in the audience in the front row, and I'm talking to him and I said to him, what's the thing when you're on the spectrum, but you're not all the way as Asperger's. So he's talking and I go, you have asked burgers, don't you? And he goes, yeah, how did you know? I go, I just figured out he was thrilled that I pointed out he had asked burgers and he could talk about it. But I think, and I don't question it. It's my mind thinking like a child. A child would think twice to ask a question, and I think that that's the part of that.
Speaker 3: It's the beauty of children.
Speaker 2: So it keeps me funny in terms of as a comedian that I'm not afraid. Certainly there's an appropriate questions and I don't ask those.
Speaker 1: But nonetheless, so he says to Wanda, have you ever seen a black man wearing a bow tie who's not a Muslim?
Speaker 3: And she doesn't want any part of this conversation.
Speaker 1: Show says, I got a dog, and Wanta says that's why she came over. And the dog sees Wanda and growls and barks, and then a worker comes out and the dog is very, very friendly, and then a black worker comes out and the dog barks, and Wanda comes to the clusion that you have a racist dog.
Speaker 7: You have a racist doll. The dog hates black people. Wanda, there, you trained the dog behave.
Speaker 4: Boe oh, I didn't train it to hate black people.
Speaker 7: Has it barked at any white people?
Speaker 3: No, He's he's exactly your dog is racist Sheriff's racist sheriff.
Speaker 7: That's a perfect name for a racist dog. Let you get this dog the clan meeting or something.
Speaker 1: You got a clan dog. He's looking at me like I'm a t bone. And that's established that the dog does not like black people. And then we are at the funk Houser's twenty fifth anniversary party.
Speaker 3: And Larry is in fact wearing a bow tie and where are all you?
Speaker 1: And I and some other people and Larry and Chell are at the table and the waiter is giving us the specials, and we're trying to order, and there's a table next to us, very loud, laughing, having fun. It's a black family and they're loud, and Larry leans over and asks them to keep it down, and the guy who's at the head of the table gets very offended and says, we need to keep it down for Tucker Carlson over here. Now, what I found interesting was the Tucker Carlson reference, because Tucker Carlson is an evil, fucking, creepy, disgusting human being. At that time, he was not so much at that time, he was on crossfire, and he was just like a conservative. It's like when we did when we did that episode about the producers a couple of weeks ago, and Katie Huffman has a picture of George W.
Speaker 3: Bush and her in her dress.
Speaker 2: Change just evolved into what we have now.
Speaker 1: So then he sees a lesbian character played by our dear friend su Kolinsky, who I endore seeing was somebody that we did stand up with in New York from many, many years ago.
Speaker 2: When I was a young comedian, really young comedian. She saw something in me and she was so kind and supportive to me. Whenever I worked with her, I was just thrilled.
Speaker 3: She was just she's a great You.
Speaker 2: Know, you remember everyone that's really nice to you and everyone that's really horrible. And the best thing is when the horrible people who've treated you like crap once you're successful change their tune. You don't let them know, You don't give them that satisfaction. You let them keep on with their lyne you know, yoh great, Yeah, the good old times. I can say you never booked me.
Speaker 3: But Sue Keolinski was not one of those. No, she was someone who she was a good guy still is.
Speaker 2: Especially for a young comedian and I started at twenty. I'm talking back then. I mean an established comedian as being kind to me and likes me. There were others, but I always remember Sue, and I love Sue.
Speaker 3: And Sue.
Speaker 1: Larry waves to her and she ices him, and then we do a little turn around the room and we see all the other lesbians giving him dirty looks. And Larry goes over to Sue, and she's like, what's the snub? And she tells him that the fact that he got so excited that Jody Funkhouse was not with women anymore, that all the lesbians are really really upset, you know, And she says.
Speaker 3: He used to be such a liberal guy.
Speaker 1: Larryber No, what would you look like?
Speaker 3: Look at the boat Tielet just tried.
Speaker 6: It out a boat tie.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, excuse me?
Speaker 6: You know what.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, you know, don't even waste your time talking to this man. This man is a racist. He has a racist dog.
Speaker 3: He has a dog that attacks black people.
Speaker 2: Okay, I do the dog. He is racist, but I didn't train him to be racist.
Speaker 6: He's just forget about it.
Speaker 2: How do you know that?
Speaker 1: Because we talk Larry, and then Larry goes over to Marty funkas who He's like, what did you tell Jody? And and Marty says, I told her you were overjoyed, and I was giving you the benefit.
Speaker 3: I don't need the benefit.
Speaker 1: They get into the whole benefit thing and then Larry says, where's Rosie O'Donnell? And Marty says, she's not here, he's it's not here now and they do a staredown.
Speaker 3: Larry and Marty do a staredown.
Speaker 2: That was a staredown that must have been at least a dozen takes because Larry couldn't get through it.
Speaker 3: You can't do a stare down with those two without a dozen.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no no, but Bob and you can see at the end the face Bob makes that ends it is just wow, you know, hilarious.
Speaker 3: Bobby was you know, the dead pan king.
Speaker 1: Right, we'll be right back, stay tuned, and we're back, and then I love this next thing. Bob calls over Dan, who is Jody's new boyfriend, and introduces him to Larry, not Bob, Marty. Marty then walks away and Larry starts a whole riff with Dan, Jody Funkus's boyfriend, about how he admires him to have to have to overcome the actor's name.
Speaker 2: I believe Marcus Redmond who played the black kneman.
Speaker 3: At the table, that is his name. Who he is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he was a great guy and a wonderful actor.
Speaker 3: Is is is?
Speaker 1: And Larry starts this whole riff with Jody's new boyfriend, Dan.
Speaker 4: Terrific and to have to overcome the whole situation, the whole sexual thing, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Yeah, there's not overcome really well.
Speaker 4: No, you know the fact that she's been with women before. You know, I'd be really intimidated by that, because you know, we really intimidated, well because we don't know what we're doing as much as women though. You know, it's their equipment. They own the equipment, so they know what to do with it. You know what's going on down there. I don't want any idea to think that the whole area is so mysterious to me. You know, I'm just saying it's a lot of I'd be intimidated, and I know that.
Speaker 1: And you see Dan starting to think about it and starting to take in what Larry's saying, and he never thought about this before, and we just know, no good is going to come from.
Speaker 2: You, because for myself, I don't want to say I can say a lot of men feel this way. The vagina is very mysterious and overwhelming.
Speaker 3: Is it really?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, oh my god? What do you touch? How do you do it? The whole festival very overwhelming. And I also found that different women, their vaginas look different, and they have different likes with their vagina and the vaginas.
Speaker 1: But that's true with penises as well, Jeff, I think men's penises.
Speaker 2: Different vaginas are delightful, men's penises are an embarrassment.
Speaker 3: Well, vaginas are much more complicated with.
Speaker 2: The vagina vagina, penis, vagina, vagina's got a nice ring to unless you're doing the monologues.
Speaker 1: Even then, next Larry's at the table, at our table, and he wants to go home. He needs to go to the bathroom, and it's this project demands. I need my base. He needs to go home, And Cheryl tells Larry she doesn't want to go home, and she thinks it's ridiculous, and he says, no, you're gentile. You can go in the middle of Fifth Avenue. It's different for Jews, which I always remember that line and I say to him, you can't leave before dessert. It's an affair, you know, that's the rules. The rules don't apply to you. You are not see now on this. I am on me, Susie Esmond is on Larry's side. I don't subscribe to any of those rules either that you know these things, these social laceties that made up or that true. No, no, no, that's that people will tell you can't leave, like you can't leave a wedding before the wedding cake is cut, you know the web cakes.
Speaker 2: But mind you, I'm diabetic, so why wouldn't I be allowed to leave before dessert served?
Speaker 1: Because it's not about your your diabetes or your sweetness or eating it or not. It's about that. That's the end of the evening, the affair. That's when you're allowed to leave.
Speaker 2: If I'm waiting to, if I may, there's an open bar. Many people are drunk.
Speaker 1: I'm leaving, Jeff, you have no argument for me. I'm just saying this is protocol.
Speaker 2: By the way, the number one thing outside of comedian alcoholics, the number one just hated thing by comedians. Don't approach a comedian if you're drunk. But then again, with your If you're drunk, you're not taking the pause that I'm mentioning right now, but having the discussions even of how good I was, hate it, what I made it. Drunk people in Friday late shows, which contain the most struck and.
Speaker 1: Drunk people, also think that when you're on stage and they start shouting things out there helping you, well, you're correct.
Speaker 2: But I'm talking off stage. They talked.
Speaker 1: So Larry then goes to the men's room and is a line and he goes to the handicapped stall, the disabled stall to.
Speaker 6: Go into the fricks.
Speaker 1: And all the guys in line say you can't go there, and he starts stuttering.
Speaker 3: He's like, I stutter and he starts stuttering. Does it work?
Speaker 2: He lives by the way, by the way, awesome, awesome callback.
Speaker 3: Yeah, awesome callback, And it's not over. And then they're at home.
Speaker 1: It's the next day. Cheryl leaves and she says, don't forget to take the dog out, and the phone rings and it's Omar Jones and he's thinking about taking the case, but he says, I got a disturbing call today about your behavior at the banquet. Did you tell you know a brother in the next table to keep it down. And Larry's like, how do you know about that? And he says, we talk, we talk.
Speaker 2: We know it was built to something. But you know what, I like logic. I'm a big fan of it in things. This was just so different. It didn't bother me at all that they everyone knew of whatever group, lesbians or black people, that they all talk and they knew. I think, Oh, by the way, if you're a notable person and you behave in a certain way, it will get out, it will spread.
Speaker 3: Yes, but that's not the That was not the conceit of this.
Speaker 2: Right, But I'm not conceit. No, But it happened instantly. That's the point I'm making.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because they talk.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also Omar Jones mentions to Larry that he went home with the bathroom cake, right. And then Sheriff is tied up outside, Sheriff the dog up outside the restaurant. He's in a restaurant with you, and the dog is barking at a lot of black people.
Speaker 3: And the lesbian waitress is so nice to Larry.
Speaker 1: She offers him a free dessert and she's like, nice to have you back, Larry, and.
Speaker 3: He's you say to him, you're back in the lesbian bosom.
Speaker 1: There's a montage of lesbians just clling out him, glowing at him, and he says that, you know.
Speaker 3: I wonder why.
Speaker 1: And Marty then knocks on the window door and calls him out and he says.
Speaker 3: What did you say to Dan?
Speaker 1: And apparently Dan was totally flummixed by Larry's conversation with him, and he broke up with Jody, and Jody is back with a woman now.
Speaker 3: And then he also says, you left before dessert. It's not the proper etiquette.
Speaker 1: And he wanted Larry to make a toast and he said, I said.
Speaker 3: Is Larry David here? I want him to make a toast?
Speaker 1: And people said Larry David went home to take a shit, I know.
Speaker 4: And then Larry.
Speaker 1: Runs into Rosie o'donald and she said, you know, she heard, she heard everything that happened because they talk and.
Speaker 2: She wants uses the term at the meeting.
Speaker 3: At the meeting, she said, they had a meeting. She said, I stood up at the meeting. I told everybody I know the guy I vouch for you, You're all right, You're you're something on, come on. It all worked out right, it's great.
Speaker 7: Listen.
Speaker 3: She's happy. We're happy, you know, she's back on the team.
Speaker 2: Everything's good.
Speaker 3: Don't we even think about it?
Speaker 1: Fat And he says, no, I missed you at the funk House party and she says, what, oh, JODI's father. I don't really know him. And he says, you weren't invited. She said no, no, I wasn't invited. So Marty was a fucking liar about that. Rosey wasn't even invited to the party. And she leaves and she says, all lesbians love you. Everything's fixed. And then he goes to Omar's apartment at Omar's office amar Jones's office to return the key, and Omar is on his little prayer rug on his knees, praying facing east, and he's like, ah, oh I see.
Speaker 2: And then the idea that Larry sits down right in front of him, maybe a foot away, is really funny.
Speaker 1: And he does that very Jewish things like it's for good, go go pray, pray, you know, and then he asks him a brother's insist is sensitive to being told to keep it down, And then Omar folds up the man and he says, oh, you fold that up.
Speaker 3: Like a yoga mat.
Speaker 2: Like it's not an observation. He does another question, it's like a yoga mat, right, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, yeah, and and Omar tells, h listen, Muslims are forgiving people. And I'm going to take your case, but I'm going to charge you all higher rate. And he goes to shake and said he says, the Muslims shake, and he returns the bathroom key. And he says, oh wait, but first I have to go to the bathroom. And the stalls, the stalls fall, but the handicappedtall is empty. And the same guy in the wheelchair comes out of what they they are calling I am not calling the normal toilet And well.
Speaker 2: No, no, you can say, you know, you have to say that the normal type.
Speaker 1: But you can also Larry says, we don't like to be referred to as normal. We are able bodied. That's from the eighties. And then he says, and then you wait, you wait, so it's a complete callback. And he goes out and he gets sheriff the dog, and Omar comes out and starts walking towards him because Larry forgot the bathroom key again, forgot to give him back the bathroom key. And you see Larry's panicked because Omar said he was going to take the case and he wants Omer to take the case.
Speaker 2: And then Omar is coming in shots slow motion.
Speaker 3: Slow motion, and Larry's very afraid. Sheriff does go after him, and.
Speaker 2: It's actually one of those things as an audience, you're going, what the fuck's gonna happen?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you know that Sheriff is a racist dog, and we saw it in the scene before, is barking at black people outside the restaurant, and Larry's very worried. And then finally Omar comes over and he pets Sheriff and everything is fine, and he says, I love dogs. And then Rosie shows up and Sheriff now goes after Rosie because now he's changed from being a racist dog to a homophobic dog.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's the end of the episode set.
Speaker 2: And by the way, I want to also add as an actor and this has happened to me. If you have a guest appearance, I don't care whether you're somebody big or small, and there's a connection. Your performance is great and there's a connection. Larry David wrote that for a future season that whole run she was in the whole season Rosie, and he wrote that because he loved being around her and he really enjoyed working with her, and she was solid as a rock.
Speaker 3: So that was the next season.
Speaker 1: This is season five, the season where she was in the whole season eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, but she was you know, just's I love her.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I've known Rosie forever. She's a good friend. But that's that's how he operates, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm saying that's how we operate on the show. That's how I operate. If you're a joy, I only want to keep working with you. It's like crew members. You want to keep the same crew members if you have a great time and they do great work.
Speaker 3: Jeff, I was a day player. I was not a series regular.
Speaker 2: Oh on curb. Yeah. Well, by the way, I'm going to use this phrase, Susie, you could not be denied. You're that good.
Speaker 1: Well, but I didn't know that every season we would finish. I never knew if I was coming back. I didn't have a contract, but he wanted me there, so I was lucky. Yeah, I was lucky.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the end of episode two, season.
Speaker 1: Five, Season five, and we will see you next week with episode three.
Speaker 2: Very exciting, Thank you for listening.
Speaker 1: The History of Carmer Enthusiasm is a production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.