Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: La La La La La La. Wiping down, Bro, gotta wipe down the studio. Hey, good morning man. We hope you're ready for a Memorial Day extravaganza with Tony Danza. Ey ey oh ay ay my guys, Hey Cabino enrich in for the Great Dan Patrick. Happy to be here. I hope you're having a nice holiday extended weekend and asked us if we wanted to fill in. We said absolutely, to say hello to the DP audience and get the day started nice and early. Of course, we got Danny g on the ones and twos, We got Ramsey on the xylophones. We got you Fox Sports Radio Nation on the phones at eight seven, seven ninety nine. L Fox. There's a lot of fun topics to get to you today. There's a lot of drama, a lot of sports stories that I'm like scratch my head about. Maybe you're just itchy. They got some bed bugs, or I think you might have got bedbugs. I may have got something. Thanks for calling that out that national audience a minute and thirty into our national broadcast with millions of affiliates and people listening on their way to the beach today or you know, getting ready packing up. It's true. I was traveling. I'm a traveling man, like James Harden, like Lebron James, I'm a traveling man, and like Rick Nelson for the old folks out there, I'm a traveling man and I was in Asia. I don't know if it was Asia, if it was a plane. I don't know what happened, but I broke out with a crazy butt rash all over my body, butt rash on my body. Yeah, dude, and that's the real reason I was out all last week. Now, No, I don't know what happened, but it's calmed down. But yeah, it's good to be back in studio here in Los Angeles, live from the Fox Sports Radio Studios. I'm Cavino. That is Rich blubber Lips Davis, We got Danny g Ramsey and you. Let's go.
Speaker 3: We're gonna talk some NFL today. This is a story about Jacobe Brissett. I know, it's more about knowing your worth. We're gonna get to that, yo. Are you Are you cool with teammates fighting over politics?
Speaker 2: I thought that was a know though. We're gonna talk some new York Giants.
Speaker 3: Nobody needs that helps, but do protest and sports work tarps off, Let's go, let's have some fun today. We got to start with the NBA and I have, by the way, a really fun hypothetical that has to do with the New York Knicks.
Speaker 2: Speaking of hope you had a New York Knicks sort of weekend Spurs sort of weekend ole sander ooh six sort of weekend win. By the way, Hey, maybe we'll talk some fighting too. Love a good fight, love hanging out with you. Let's go, So the Oklahoma City Thunder. By the way, how great was it watching the Spurs dominate yesterday? I loved every second of it. I'm not some big Spurs windy guy, but honestly, it was a matter of one team came to play and the other one just showed up with less pressure on them. I guess I don't know. Okay, see just look flat. They just were flat from the start and the Spurs ran with it. It was a dominant game from the Spurs. I mean, subconscious or not. There's more pressure on one team than the other sometimes and you get this what it is, and you could say you come to play no matter what But then how would you describe so many gentlemen sweeps in sports? Yeah, there's that lack of urgency no matter how you put it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's in everything in life in sports, from the time you were doing school projects that were due the night before, to try to find the Christmas or birthday present for your like you know girlfriend when you're a younger man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you work under pressure.
Speaker 3: And sometimes when you have all the time in the world, do you feel like you got a cushion, even if it's deep down inside subconscious, you're just not put it all out there.
Speaker 2: And I feel like that was what you saw yesterday. That was exactly what there was. Urgency for the Spurs.
Speaker 3: You got to win Game four at home, tie this bad boy up, make it a best of three. Now versus down three to one to the defending champs, you would have been done. Spurs look good, they look they look fantastic. But I think this is a narrative that is interesting. Because the NBA ratings are up, we all have to say, yo a la fonsie on Happy Days, I was.
Speaker 2: Wrong. No, no, no, you have to say that. Ro Well.
Speaker 3: I think we were all a little wrong because we were like, Yo, this regular season, we talked about how the NBA was stinking, like Abe Lincoln.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Rich, let's back up.
Speaker 1: We were filling in right here on the Dan Patrick Show and it was during football season, and there was a story out about how do you fix the NBA? Remember, and I told you live on this show. I said, everyone's going to forget about this once we get to the playoffs.
Speaker 2: And there's a There's never a truer thing that's been said Danny truthfully, because the minute the NBA playoffs started, I compared it last time to vacation love. When you're when you're at the wife your girlfriend on vacation. You remember that analogy where I was like you, you know, all of a sudden, you guys are really clicking in the bedroom, and you're like, how come this doesn't happen when we're home on a regular like Tuesday. If you're capable of this all the time, why only on vacation.
Speaker 3: That's how I felt about the NBA, Like, if you could put out this product all the time, then do it.
Speaker 2: But I get it, you save it for the playoffs. But here's my thought.
Speaker 3: You know how a lot of times there's a band that makes it, and a bunch of Jabroni's are like, have you.
Speaker 2: Heard of the new band?
Speaker 3: And they're true fans, Like new band, they've been on the grind for like a decade.
Speaker 2: That's when all the OG fans abandoned. Oh they get they get all mad too. Yeah, they're like whatever, man, Green Day's lame. Now when they're real punk.
Speaker 3: You know, it's you know, hip hop artist, rock band, whatever the case may be.
Speaker 2: They go mainstream.
Speaker 3: They're new to a lot of people, but to the true fans, you know, they've been here for years. I feel like for the very casual NBA fan, I mean, we obviously are more locked in and we work in sports. Danny g You're even way more locked in because you're like a real, real NBA fan. I'm a casual NBA fan. I'm more of an NFL and baseball guy. But I think the whole like boring narrative that the thunder and boring SGA boring, like, I think that's been replaced with they're unlikable floppers. I think like we're seeing a new narrative about this team. And over the last week or so, when social media piles on you see it right, It's like it's a big pilon that everyone's like, yeah, yeah, Now compilations of SGA flopping are being made and now they're going back to the tape and making like season long compilations. So would you agree that OKC is being turned into this unlikable flopping team.
Speaker 2: For the casual fan.
Speaker 1: Now in their algorithm, they're seeing the away team, you know, chant flopper and the lady courtside yesterday was holding up that fake Oscar trophy anytime she.
Speaker 2: Saw GA had hot Lovans fans, ringing bubble wrapper. It also takes him innute to build an identity right for the masses anyone that knew their game. You know, I still think boring applies or didn't like their style of play applies because we use the analogy even before this narrative that they're like watching Floyd Mayweather box. Yeah, they're great, but their style is an appealing. It's just not fun and that's part of the game. The flopping and the style in which we're watching is just not exciting. Right, So even though winning, even though great, but as they continue to play on this main stage, everything's magnified. You start building this narrative, you start creating an identity, and now I think everyone is grasping on You're right rich, because I'm seeing it a little more now than I've seen before about SGA not being because we were always kind of he's not easy to root for, not easy to root for, like, okay, no one even touched him now and he's falling. It's sort of eye rolling on a big stage like this where everything's broken down a million times and social media has caught win the.
Speaker 4: He's also so damn talented.
Speaker 1: I think as a NBA fan that's what's frustrating.
Speaker 4: He doesn't need.
Speaker 2: To doesn't need to. It's like it's like a hot girl talking about her problems. No one cares that much. It's like, you're hot. He doesn't need to do those things. Is my point? Does it? Cupcakes? Shut up? Yeah. It's like the hot girl who's saying she's a nerd for extra attention. It's like, you don't need to claim you're a nerd. It's a hot girl, you're already. She puts on glasses and she's like, I'm still nerty. You already got our attention. You're already hot. Relaxed. He's great. He doesn't need to do. That is my point, and it might be a turnoff to some people because you know that as well, and it's it's it's a weak look, but it could work with their advantage sometimes. But when they slow down those replays over and over and they're like, yeah, no one touched him there, and you see him acting the attack, that becomes he give this guy an award because all he's doing is acting and flopping the whole time. But again, just to reiterate, more now than ever, because of the bigger stages, it takes a minute to build identity in the casuals. Some things are catching on and therefore we're seeing it more on social media.
Speaker 3: What Kavino just said, that guy right there. It takes the casual, the very casual, like you said, like your mom who's watching, or like you know, your neighbor who's like.
Speaker 2: Oh the NBA, Like the casual fan.
Speaker 3: It takes a minute to identify identity, to establish what are you all about?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And I know for real NBA fans it's nuts. Can I get another weekend?
Speaker 5: Ask?
Speaker 3: For real NBA fans, like all of us, we've known their reputation, but you can't say, like, no one knows the reigning MVP and the guy that won the NBA title last year. Just right now, the team is starting to gain more of an identity, and that identity is like unlikable, talented, flopping look and they have fallen over the place.
Speaker 2: SGA, what are you doing? Yeah, you start rooting against them a little bit, unless, of course you root for SGA and Oklahoma City Thunder. But you got to put that in perspective too. It does take a minute to build an identity to build and we talk about it often when we talk about decades and generations, like the two thousands has no identity. When you look back, what were the two thousands, nineties, grunge, eur, eighties pop King of Pop, Madonna, Michael Jackson, seventies, you know, hippies and burnouts and disco and disco. It takes some time. You got to remove yourself from it, and it takes some time to really build that identity and see it for what it is. Crazy. He was saying that because now the two thousands do have an identity. Now they have an identity, you could pinpoint, you know, the everything from the two thousands when you hear the music in the style, but you really couldn't. Then the further we get removed from. Yeah, Oklahoma City Thunder are forced in the NBA, and they've been for a few years now. We're starting to see why and we're starting to realize why. And when we say wee, we mean casual NBA fans, Danny G's of the world, people that follow it every day. You and I have no choice but to follow it every day. I think are catching on now, all.
Speaker 3: Right, so you know, you know what it's also like being exposed on the big stage is really what are.
Speaker 2: Popular someone becomes?
Speaker 3: And I'm not saying they weren't, but you can't argue that when you're the defending champs that are just dominating you getting more and more popular, right, they get they're getting more and more popular by the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right.
Speaker 3: You know when someone gets thrown in this Fostla band who makes it, like you said, rich and they're like, you know all their songs sound the same. Well, I'll give you one, you know how You know when someone's on a reality show or they find themselves in some type of social media hot story and no one ever cared about what they said before, and then someone starts digging up their old tweets.
Speaker 2: No one cared about that old tweets they were always there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no one cared about that old, partially racist tweet from ten years ago until someone's in a headline.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, no one cared about SGA flopping until they're about to maybe win back to backs and the casual fans are catching on more.
Speaker 2: It's like, we're on a big stage this morning, and for DP, somebody better go through our tweets and delete the bad ones. Yeah, because I don't know what's out there but a Cavino tweeting ten years ago. Our tweets go back two thousand and nine. I don't know what I was saying back then. Man, on this big stage, I don't want to be exposed like the Oklahoma City Thunder.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you guys were part of some band named Tickle Sack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what dnnergy. Luckily we have like a show. I'll just blame it on an old intern or something. Yeah, some old intern back in nine did that. But but you're right, they're like co you know what I wrote, totally like vulgar parody songs of the two thousands, totally would find out the time it was on a main stage, you might get exposed, and this is a bigger stage than ever because you're expecting, you're trying to figure out at this point too. You're like, all right, all this hype about OKC SGA two time MVP back to back, let's see what the like. You're zoned in in a different way right now, and you're zoned in against a Wemby as well. Right The competition definitely helps and.
Speaker 3: It doesn't hurt that Wemby even though he's not like captain career, there's something about him that because he's so peculiar the alley and he's like seven foot, such an interesting fun guy to root for twenty two years old, like he's a kid, I think, because he's so likable in a fun story, and san Antonio just feels like a fun team in a way.
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 3: I think that also makes Okasey a little bit of the bad guy in this one.
Speaker 2: No doubt, I think. And I could be wrong here. I agree with it, does anyone else not looking at it that way?
Speaker 3: Like, if you want to look at this as good guy versus villain, you don't think Okaysey's the villain.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's fair to ask me as a Lakers fan. Chet Holmgren has always had a punchable face.
Speaker 2: Why do you say that? For you? It's really interesting considering they're a smaller market team. You should be backing up what they're doing because it is great and the are winning, right. But I agree with Rich completely. If you're just Let's say you have no horse in the race. Let's say you're watching boxing and you're just sitting there. You don't know either guy. Right by the end of the fight, you you kind of decided on who you want to win. I want that guy. I think any casual idiot sitting in front the TV automatically gravitates toward it. I want to spurs and I want to see this wemby guy win. They're playing with a different fire, I think, and I think you have the knowledge of they're the champs.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what a lot of people are witnessing this now because it's a it's a holiday weekend, so a lot of barbecues, a lot of hangs. You have the game on, and you probably do have a neighbor, a cousin and uncle, someone that doesn't really watch, and they're like, Eh, this Wemby guy, don't discount all the casualsout it down.
Speaker 2: I've pas to like five. I just came back from my girlfriend's neck of the woods in Idaho, shout out to ninety nine to nine. And I'm in mixed company out there because of the holiday week and everything, and the whole time I'm talking to people about Wimby because you got the game on, you got people coming over hanging out for the for the weekend. Everyone's so intrigued by who's that alien guy? And I keep using the same joke. That's why we have all these UFO sightings recently. They came to see their guy. Look at this guy. He's not from here. He's insane. They're more likable because of Wemby and because of the fight and fire they're playing with as opposed to of flopping and reputation at okase Has and when you watch him just not an exciting style of play on the big stage tomorrow of everything. We're talking about being exposed on the big stage. That's really what it is. And you know what it is, Cove, it's uh and you could say exposed for winning. Hey, I'll take that all day. Yeah, but it's not a style that that the everyday person is going to gravitate towards someone has success, they're on a new hit show.
Speaker 3: Like I said, people start digging into this social media past. We start digging in more the more we're interested. And Danny again, to the true NBA fan or someone that pays attention, this is no new news. But don't don't discount the casual idiot. I'm telling everyone listening to Dan Patrick right now, Cavino and Rich fillin in. You're smarter than the average bear. I promise you. Look at like, all right, the schedule releases that they do in the NFL, how many times have they shown random people in the street like what team is this? Idiots can't identify a logo of a team like we're we're you. We can't assume that everyone knows stuff. He's at the barber shop. They're just rolling with your flow. Have you ever hear idiots at the barbershop or the bar yeah, talking when they see like who's in the playoffs?
Speaker 2: Again? Who's that's that's who you know who you're talking to, and that's who starts tuning in on days like this, that's who?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, mean identifying more idiots. Yeah, a playoff game could be on. I remember last year, Danny. We're out here in Los Angeles. I'm not a Dodgers fan, but the playoffs run. I'm at the gym and I'm like, so, I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna turn like the Dodger game on one of the TVs.
Speaker 3: There's a bunch of grown ass men working out and the Dodgers game isn't on, and it was the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Up right now, six seventeen am on the West nine on the East coast. You guys are a different breed. You know what's going on, and you take pride in that, and that's why we love you. The majority of people, Rich is right, or at least fifty percent of the people are just watching living their life while they're grilling to burgers.
Speaker 3: More people with more people wear a jersey of a team they don't really know much about it. It's like, you know how you make fun of someone that has a band shirt on and you're like, you don't even know that band.
Speaker 2: More people were a jersey of a team they know nothing about, without a doubt, without it Dot with Rich and to.
Speaker 1: Be fair, Rich, that same afternoon, you were at the gym. There were also lots of bars in southern California where there was nothing but Dodger fans.
Speaker 2: I agree, Hey, yo, shout out to five seventy where we're on for DP this morning. Let me ask you this hold on. Was Rich just kissing? Ass? I feel like you remembered we were talking to local LA people playing like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Rich started moonwalking?
Speaker 2: Yeah, as my dad would say, why you kiss I'll tell you this, he.
Speaker 3: G.
Speaker 2: I want you to. I want you to.
Speaker 3: I want you to go to a hotspot now, Rich Davis and see everyone with their Dodgers hats on, and a lot of them with that upside down Dodgers' logo.
Speaker 2: What what brands is that? I say that everywhere the upside down l A. I mean, there's a lot of bootleg ones, but but that's like that is that I would say, isn't that a new era hat? I don't think it's any specific brand. So I wonder if you asked the average person just walking down the street, Cocher King's rocks, though Geyer girl walking down the street, go to Wilshow, go to the Ventura Boulevard, go anywhere stop. Some of the Dodgers had to be like, name a Dodger other than Shoe Heil tani go. Do you think they can name three Dodgers or they just like I like the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because the Dodgers have enough stars on their team where even casual fans Freddy Freeman, ah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, doesn't go much deeper than that, because the casual fan doesn't know much.
Speaker 2: And that's what you see in the world of sports. Well, thank the web sleuths and think, I guess people like Rich and the Covino and Rich Show, because the Oklahoma City Thunder are developing an identity and it's not a good one. Winning's good, yes.
Speaker 1: But I have to say that is not flopping. Is not how they won Game three. They're in San Antonio. That was the depth of their bench. Of course, the fact that you could compare the two teams and say, okay, well the Thunder are more experienced. They're a deeper team.
Speaker 2: To always a mix of things. Wemby was kind of off game.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say the offense for whatever reason, they weren't running it through Wemby and they did last night, and you saw the difference.
Speaker 2: Shaq even called him out on it. You saw that right shack, like what he said. I expected more from Wemby big man and big Man, I expect more. He can't bring it to like that. Here's a lot of breath, so I couldn't tell what he was saying's always had a breath. I'm so sorry, big Man. Just get back from a breather women. He is a Stevebub women. In Stevebub Game four, Game three, he wasn't going out, so he was a lot of breath. I couldn't tell what he was saying. But yeah, I think it's a mix of Wemby also just being a little flat. I think we saw Wemby flat game three, and as he plays, the team goes uh. He also had some great co stars in game four. I mean, guys were stepping up big time, I think for the Spurs. But they played flat game three, OKC came flat game four, and by the way, they okay see, and it's been a fun back. I don't usually there's a narrative that you've watched okay see enough to realize that they could cut a lead pretty quick and come back. But every time you thought they might, Spurs just answered or even went ahead. More like, at no point was that game close yesterday?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: One, three eighty two if you missed it. So uh, the Spurs had a full grasp on it. But again Oklahoma City Thunder didn't play with that sense of urgency. And Wenby stepped up.
Speaker 3: Well, hey, we're gonna flip to the other side, the Eastern Conference. We'll get to the Knicks later this hour plus and Castle got to give props the Castle ill us a thought about some NFL quarterbacks. We're gonna talk a little NFL, have some fun. We'll talk about quarterbacks hanging out with presidents? Should that be causing drama?
Speaker 2: Are you sure that sounds like a polarizing car?
Speaker 1: Yeah, before you get on the third rail there, my man. We also have a brand new summer prize for Covino and Rich that we are going to debut this morning.
Speaker 2: We're playing a game, right, Big Poppy stopping by. He's gonna be in the blue kitchen, Big Poppy stopping by with some baseball trivia, as he says, can't wait.
Speaker 3: We got all that and more. Cavino ritch in for Dan Patrick Memorial Day.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 6: This is Rob Parker and I'm here with an important public service announcement. Whatever you do, do not listen to the Paulie and Tony Fusco Show. Fox Sports Radio asked me to do a promo, but I'm here to do a no mo, as in, don't listen to this show. No mo the host of two fools from Philly who have the dumbest takes ever in all of sports talk. And you know, if I'm saying that, they must really be bad. I have no idea why Fox Sports Radio picked this up, but I know where to put it down in the trash can. So please don't listen to the Paulie and Tony Fusco Show. No way, no how.
Speaker 5: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Dan Patrick Show at Fox Sports Radio dot com. We're streamers live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR, nice.
Speaker 2: Hey, Covino and Rich. We're on Monday through Friday two to four on the West out here in La the mean streets of the west Side, it save and of course that's five to seven on the East. Yeah. But they asked us to fill in for the great Dan Patrick on this Mannic Memorial Day, Monday. So we're here, good morning. A few things. Got to give credit to Dan Patrick and his corduroy and getting dressed up, because I'm wearing the same thing I fell asleep. Yo. Even that alarm hits man on the west side. It's earlier here in La obviously, Yo. This is the T shirt I was in, So props to him for doing this all those years, getting dressed up, full corduroy, hair pristine. And of course off the air, we're streaming on YouTube peacock every morning. Any you know, most of the affiliates on this show are east, so people have been up for a few hours.
Speaker 4: Most of the population is on the East.
Speaker 2: Hey, well get ready for all the fixin's and all the grillin you got today.
Speaker 1: In fact, look at the note for the guys I always put at the top. Remember it's nine am for most of the population.
Speaker 2: I didn't forget it. I'm from New Jersey, Union, New Jersey. Rich Davis from Franklin Square, Long Island, Danny G's the California guy, Ramsey's here. Thank you guys for hanging out with us live from La live from the Fox Sports Radio studio. If you're missed in New Jersey, do you call it Taylorham or pork roll? Everybody knows it Taylorham. Pork roles for amateurs is for a school time lunch. Pork roll on a bun best East Coast Delight and off the air. Rich wants to add one more team to the victorious weekend. I said, I hope you had an Alexander Usik New York Knicks sort of weekend, a Spurs sort of Sunday night. Rich, once they had West Hill's pony Ball. Today.
Speaker 3: Oh my West Hills guy can't stop talking about by six year All Stars. We went two and one over the weekend. We play Agora today. If we win, then we go to the championship, which is such a big part of a lot of people's weekend. Excited weekend. It's just driving around from game to game to game. Have you got little kids in your wrapped up bits of sports and travel, sports and.
Speaker 2: Pony ball and Little league and everything?
Speaker 3: You know, Your weekends are cooked your You got no time to yourself.
Speaker 2: So enjoy the free time while you can. Live from Fox Sports Radio studio. Like we said, Covino and Resh. For over forty years, ty Racks have been helping customers find the right tires for how, what and where they drive, Shipped fast and free, backed by free road hazard protection with convenient installation options like mobile tire installation, Dira, Tirack, dot Comway tire buying should be We got big Poppy treevia Baseball Trivia later today, plus new prize announcements, so giving away prizes, we'll talk about the fights. There were some celebrity fights over the weekend. Two more baseball, NFL or NFL, some NBA. But I wrap up our previous discussion about being exposed on the big stage. Of course, there was something about the Oklahoma City Thunder that made them not exciting even though they were winning and playing great. And we say that respectfully. Yeah, I think when you're starting to figure out why, when you're.
Speaker 3: On the bigger stage for longer, what does that Batman quote like you stick around long enough a hero, you become a villain, some nonsense like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whatever George Bush said, fool me once, shame can't get fooled again.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying that the Thunder has been dominating enough now that people are starting to find things well, I don't like that about them.
Speaker 2: I don't like this.
Speaker 3: And you're seeing more and more flopping compilations, more and more fans making jokes about wearing bubble wrap or holding up Academy awards, and that they're not the most likable team to root for. They're not the team where it's like small town Oklahoma City Thunder, let's go.
Speaker 2: I think people are rooting for the Spurs. I think if you were to pull the general population way more people saying I want to see this whim beating. I think a lot of people speaking of things being magnified on the big stage, or people stepping up and creating that narrative on the big stage. You could look at it that way too. Castle last night really backing up wemby showing that he was the aggressor of the game, Like if he comes out with that fire in the next game, now you're setting the tone. Rich has this theory of when you're on vacation, you got to set the tone right, you got to bring the romance from day one and set the toe. I think sets a good precedent. That's what Castle sort of did for the Spurs. And if he's able to do that again. You know, the way he defended SGA was the big talk, like, man, if he's able to play that aggressive, that's the backup Wemby needs to bring them to victory. So props to him because we talked a lot about SGA and Wemby. Perhaps the castle we're gonna move on.
Speaker 3: But speaking about being exposed, I know this is more of a local story, but you know, indulgery for like thirty seconds, Is anyone concerned about this uh power plant thing down in Anaheim by Disney where they're like, yeah, fifty thousand people had to be evacuated.
Speaker 2: Danny g Is that concerning Dannyone.
Speaker 1: It was extra concerning because my wife and I were checking into an Anaheim hotel as this was happening. Oh wow, yeah, and that people there was a big line of people check in. I'm like, I get it, it's a holiday weekend, but it seems even busier than normal. And the family in front of me and you could tell they just grabbed whatever and they were evacuated from their town in southern California. And I heard them telling the hotel when they were checking in, Yeah, you guys were one of the only hotels that even had one room available because of all the evacuations.
Speaker 2: It's wild when fifty thousand people last night, so it was forty. So it went up another time when around fifty thousand people had to evaluate it.
Speaker 3: I say fifty plus thousand evacuated due to uncertainty.
Speaker 2: We took this trip to guard and Grove and then I had to evacuate with forty nine thousand other people because of this tank that's leaking or whatever. I think it is serious. If fifty thousand people had to leave. Yeah, I think it's probably more serious than what the real wild part is.
Speaker 3: You know how like business still has to move along. I'm not pointing fingers and I'm not saying anything, but like Disney not's very farm. All these amusement parks like now we're good, Like they're not gonna lose.
Speaker 1: Well, we were walking around Disneyland yesterday morning and there it was a light crowd and we were wondering, okay.
Speaker 2: They were telling Mickey Mouse deuff.
Speaker 1: And it's funny because my better he did not care. She's like, well, I don't care if I breathe in chemicals. I get to go on Space Mountain.
Speaker 2: Danny g had on a buzz light Year has Matt suits. Hey, I'm buzz Lightyear Marketing. Go Yo, check me out. Cool, I'm buzz Light. I'm gonna grow It's not a has Mat suit, it's buzz Light. I'm gonna grow a third wing. But damn it, I got on five rides.
Speaker 3: Perfect transition because down there in the Anaheim area where chemical plants hopefully don't explode and you know, cause damage, hopefully, they got that contained. There's a team that's yo. In fact, they told their fans winning doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: The owner said that, and that's what the Tarp's Off movement has exploded now with the next level of excitement and the next level of what's the word, what's the word protest? Animosity, what's supposed to be a fun get together and gathering is more than just a shirts off tarps off movement. It's like, let's let's be heard and let's make an impact. Well in other cities, it's all good and fun. In Anaheim, by the way, it's rowing. Man, it's even going on here in Los Angeles. It's going on every it's going on in New York, it's in Detroit. Tarps Off movement again, if you don't know what that is is when they're taking their shirts off. My theory is some of that WBC excitement carried over, that international excitement, the hooligan sort of culture carried over into baseball from WBC into the season.
Speaker 1: Props again to the you know, they're all spinning their shirts like a helicopter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and people want to be a part of it, and people are leaving their section to join the other section on the spot. I don't want to be on the spot. What put yourself on the spot?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: What? Uh? What city do you want to see the least shirtless people?
Speaker 4: What you were going to give Pablo Trivia?
Speaker 2: What? What city should keep their shirts on? Man? I don't know. They say everything's bigger in Texas, so who knows. Man, I don't need to see a big hoss's gut. But yeah, you're right, No one wants to see my Harry Pepperoni nipples either. So it's it's a you know, weird sort of vibe. But it's fun for baseball and a lot of these young dudes, a lot of people, you know, what's going on, like our buddy Mike their band, who's one of our listeners and friends. This guy Mike from Chicago, he was at the uh Dodgers played the Brewers. Dandy j is that what's going on this weekend? Right? And he went to the Brewers game and he saw this building and building and building, and what happens is he went with his nephew. The little kids they look at that and they're like, I want to go there. So now you want to drag the kids up or whoever you're with to that section because that's the fun section. But fun time is contagious. There's a there's an all dating theory. Remember those like dating tricks from the early two thousands. Do you remember those like the Mystery Guy and Neil Strauss the game. If you are having fun or it appears that you're having fun, people want to come and gravitate towards you because they want to know what that funds all about.
Speaker 3: We would we would jokingly, it's the truth. We would jokingly try this standing and it worked every time. Like if you and your friends would just start laughing a lot, having eventually girls would be like, hey, what's going on here?
Speaker 2: What's so funny? Guys? So you see all these people waving their shirts in the air, and they're having a black people want to be part of it. So kids want to lead there. They may have great seats, they're like, I want to go and party with those dudes and have fun. It becomes contagious and you're seeing a lot more fun at the ballpark as a result, and most organizations are leaning into this. However, back to the Anaheim story, it went from tarps off, waving your shirts around. Now a chance to be heard, and that's what I was, sort of getting a chance to protest, a chance to scream at the top of your lungs f ARTI moreno or arti moreno sucks. There's been variations of it, and you know, this is kind of crazy because it's team f ARTI moreno f the team and they've done this for what five straight home games now, and it's starting to pick up steam, and it's never a good look. So the question is, hey, what are your thoughts on this whole tarpsof thing? And there's power and numbers and funny is contagious, all these great points that we're making. Baseball is exciting and fans are having a blast out there. But do fan protests ever work in this way. I think, Yes, it wasn't good for the Dallas Mavericks every time the crowd was getting on them on the Yeah, Rich, it didn't work in Oakland, but it doesn't always work. But it's never a good look. I'd like complaining, Look, get it this way. When fans all say, we all agree with a sentiment, let's change this. I don't think you're going to get a guy to sell a.
Speaker 3: Team, but can I give you an example of where it's like, oh wow, they listened to the.
Speaker 2: Play, I sell the team right. So that's not going to work, but it might light a fire. Remember, Danny's already pointed this out. He had said earlier this year that the fans don't care about winning. They want to go there and have a great time.
Speaker 1: Moreno family and moreno referenced like a phantom survey that still nobody in the media has been able to find.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: That went out to season ticket holders and people there in the Anaheim area, and supposedly the majority of fans did not care about winning. According to Marine, So.
Speaker 2: It might not force him to sell the team, but it might force him to address things publicly like hey, guys, you know or make moves that show that he is on.
Speaker 1: The fans side, and we did give him props at the time for affordable nights, family nights, promotions like that, but at the same time, the fans also want w's what.
Speaker 3: It depends on how you are and how you respond to criticism or if you feel like you're being attacked versus. That's a damn good idea because I have an example of how could go either way. Do you guys remember when the first Sonic the Hedgehog movie came out. Yeah, I think that's a great series, James Marsden Sonic.
Speaker 2: My kids love all the movies Sonic and Knuckles. I remember it specifically, Danny g I'm not going to get into a long, boring story, but for reference Cavino and Rich and for Dan Patrick, this is the best. You know. Before this job, we were at ESPN. We had a TV show. We were on ESPN Radio. We had a daily TV show every night right called Now or Never. It was a great opportunity. Then COVID happened and the world changed, and yeah, everything happens for a reason reasons, as Fred Durst said, But it was one night Rich Davis took off or whatever might have been one of the only where I left and you said, I'll do the show without And I did the show with like Clinton Yates or somebody, or George Sadano, some great friends we made, and it was the best version of the show you ever. It was the best show we ever had. It really was show except for one part. They're like, oh Rich is in here. We got to cut this really big promo for the new Sonic movie. Like, wait, what do you mean big promo for the Sonic movie? No one told me about this. Yeah, We're gonna need you to race Sonic. I'm like, race Sonic. What do you mean race? They had someone come in a Sonic costume. Yes, the ESPN doorbell ring security brings up this goofy giant mascot Sonic that I had a race, and like they had to film it, and dude, the mascot hated me. I hated the mascot. I didn't want to be there. He didn't want to be there. It's the weakest, it's the weakest bit ever.
Speaker 3: It's Cavino running down a hallway with with a mascot.
Speaker 2: That's when you broke your tibula. And that's where I tore my miniscus and it was on the IL for twenty days. But dude, talk about like one of the most embarrassing things you had to do for work. It was the we kiss thing, like I did it, and it's on there on social media somewhere at coven Oenrich. But I'll never forget. But the point is, there was a lot of protest about the movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what they protested the first trailer for Sonic. The first one came out and the character Sonic look like a little weird alien looking.
Speaker 2: Version of Sonic. The fans didn't like how he appeared to be. Fans were like, the eyes are wrong, the coloring is wrong, this isn't Sonic, this is BS.
Speaker 3: They changed Sonic and it goes on to become a billion dollar franchise.
Speaker 2: The fans were right. They listened to the fans. That was That's one of the only times where the fans were right.
Speaker 3: That's an example of when people are open to listening. Do you guys follow kart Narks on Instagram?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: The people that don't return their shopping cart, Yeah right, people don't retell their shopping cart. AND's some some as Cloud. I hate both. I hate him equally, I'll explain where protesting doesn't go wrong and people don't want to do this all. Next, Covino and rich In for Dan Patrick right here on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 5: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live every day at YouTube dot com. Slash The Dan Patrick Show and Pain speaking of old school hip hop, Rest in peace, rom Bass over them we again, so said right fifty nine years old.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: By the way, the Kyle Busch thing just gets sadder, dude, the more and more you read.
Speaker 2: You ain't kidding man. He was honored over the weekend, and of course today we honor not only those legends, but all the fallen troops. Memorial Day. You go thos who fought for our freedom. Freedom's not free, so we celebrate on their behalf. Thank you, guys. Memorial Day with Cavino and rich In for the Great Dan Patrick with super producer Danny g. He's got the smooth buttery voice you Oh, I'm on the phones eight seven seven ninety nine on Fox's Up. First of all, I don't sound anything like you sound exactly like that. And Danny g I heard that big poppy stopping by, so beyond stand by hour three, we're doing baseball tree via. We always do that usually Tuesdays on our show Monday through Friday, five to seven on East, two to four on the West. Remember to search Covino and Rich CoV Covino and Rich. Wherever you get your podcasts, search Covino and of course we're streaming live on YouTube now and always at Covino and Rich FSR. At Covino and Rich FSR on YouTube. H just again, YouTube dot com, slash there's an at in there. Slash at Covino and Rich FSR. Now, two quick things before we get to some nicks. I want to talk to some nicks. I have a hypothetical about some Eastern Conference NBA. We are going to talk some NFL. But I had two quick thoughts.
Speaker 3: One that made my sports emotions almost make me want to like have a little little tear drop down my eye.
Speaker 2: Are you being a little sports baby right now? There was a moment a little crying sports baby.
Speaker 3: There was a moment where they switched from Wemby whispering into the year. What do you think he said of coach Mitch Johnson. And then they then they pan up to the press booth like the Sweets, and they showed Tim Duncan whispering to coach Popovich.
Speaker 2: And it felt like my child should rob. Just the other day it was cats in the Cradle in the sewer of a spoon. It was like a complete like this is your Spurs life. By the way, was that Harry Chapman or was that ugly kid Joe? What were you doing? Right? Was my ugly kid Joe? And the cats in the spoon?
Speaker 3: So Spurs so much more likable than okay, see, but we talked about that already.
Speaker 2: At least that's the I'm feeling.
Speaker 3: And my other thought was, as far as do protest work, Angels fans part of the Shirts Off the Tarps off movement, but they've taken it next level. Not only shirts off chance of f rdy moreno sell, the team totally going after their owner, who, as you know, earlier in the season said a fan survey said, Hey, we don't really this team doesn't care about winning. The fans don't care about winning. Hey, man, do I think the question is do fan protests work. They're taking this as an opportunity to protest. Tarps off is fun, but they're using this as an opportunity to make change with the Angels. You know, we see so many times that nothing happens as a result. But people are human, and I think five games carry on another, five games at home, ten games, twenty games in.
Speaker 2: You start feeling a little crappy about yourself. I don't care who you are, how rich you are, you have to make note of it. It becomes a bigger story. So it's not that the Angels will sell, it's that they'll make those changes or do something to appease the fans.
Speaker 3: My thought is that depends on how that's embarrassing, how much you feel like you're being attacked. And I'm going to tie you into this for a second. We talked about the Sonic movie and how before it became a billion dollar franchise, the original Sonic trailer had a very weird, alien looking Sonic to Hedgehog and the fans like.
Speaker 2: This sucks his blows. I heard it. They wanted him to look more friendly, and they changed.
Speaker 3: They made him look more cartoony and Sonic and James Marsden and that whole franchise goes on to make billions of dollars. There's a fourth one coming out, But the original Sonic people were hating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the fans were right.
Speaker 3: Teams have fans have protested a jersey. We don't like that alternate jersey, We don't like this hat, and the teams listen, and sometimes the team will be like, all right, we're gonna we're gonna pull back on that that uniform change or logo change.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but if you tell Steve Cavino to do something, I feel like you're least likely, You're less likely to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I need to do things on my own. I don't know if that's like some Cavino do that impression. Now now I'm not your monkey. Now, I'm less likely to do that at all.
Speaker 3: You ever see that cart Narks account on social media, Yeah, where someone doesn't return their shopping cart. Yeah, someone puts a magnet in their car and they mock them, right, and they go viral on social media. They're wrong for not returning their cart. When some guys in your face, humiliating you, would you ever then return your cart?
Speaker 2: Like I'm saying like, you don't want to be told what to do, get told what to do. I want to do it.
Speaker 3: I feel like Ardie Moreno, even if you want to make changes, you're not gonna make changes because people are mocking you.
Speaker 2: That's how you get it done. It's getting off. We'll see. Uh, let's the way are we doing tarps? Off? Next hour? Next? Oh, I don't know. Do you want the YouTube numbers to go up or no? Man, I don't know. Well, we're gonna talk some NBA, some NFL.
Speaker 3: All next in for the great Dan, Patrick Covino and Rich Thanks for hanging guys,