Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to another episode of the Odd Lats podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm Joe Wisenthal and I'm Tracy Alloway.
Speaker 4: Racy, you know, it's.
Speaker 2: Sort of giving me a little bit of anxiety these days.
Speaker 3: Just I feel like that's a dangerous question to ask your coworker.
Speaker 4: But go on, I mean, it does seem right, It could be anything. It's not personal.
Speaker 2: It does seem like across many industries evs, etc. Like Chinese firms either because they're doing very well organizationally, technologically or whatever, or cost competitively or like really killing it in a lot of industries. And it is an American who, you know, on to the thriving US economy watching say, like on the same day, like the day after Boeing is experiencing some new investigation, and then the next day seeing some headline about the COMAC is like expanding its factories.
Speaker 4: It's like, like, what's been on here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know what you mean. I feel like evs are sort of a microcosm for I guess a lot of anxiety over the Chinese economy. So first of all, the idea that China is sort of going to leap frog America in one way or another in terms of technology, renewable technology as we've sort of seen in solar panels, but also the idea that to some extent, China has a lot of policy levers to pullah in a way that the US sometimes struggles with. So President Chichiping can go out and say we want China to make massive investments in things like evs or in things like semiconductors, and to some extent the entire economy sort of turns that way and starts doing it.
Speaker 2: And just to be clear, like, I think it's good that more countries around the world world are getting richer and more competitive and.
Speaker 4: Able to like.
Speaker 2: So I don't see the world as some sort of zero sum type thing. But if the US is embarking on this sort of renewed industrialization push, if we think it's valuable, if we think it's important that certain types of batteries and cars, etc. Are manufactured here, which we seem to have prioritized, also chips, then the question is like, well, will any of this be competitive globally cost competitive effective similar technology technology to what competitors overseas are doing.
Speaker 3: But also just to ease your anxiety a little bit, because that's what I'm here for. There are a lot of question marks around the direction of the Chinese economy at the moment. There's speculation over a un devaluation. Interest rates are already pretty low, You're struggling to boost economic growth. So you have these sort of twenty things happening at the same time.
Speaker 2: No, I, China unambiguously has its host of issues. That being said, you know, I do think that for as long as I been paying attention to markets, economic stuff like that, one of the overriding questions is like, well, when is the crash? When is the financial core? And it hasn't really happened. Like, There's been some issues now and obviously they sort of on purpose to some extent prick to the real estate bubble, but by and large some sort of like big Chinese disaster the likes of which many people have been expecting for a long time of not materialized.
Speaker 3: I think this goes back to the command economy policy lever idea, and if you have those types of levers, you can kind of pull them and buy yourself time. And that's what we've seen over and over again. You do have these disasters that happen in the Chinese economy, like the three red lines proposition for real estate that led to a housing crash. But on the other hand, you have sort of measures that can offset some of that, and I guess extend and pretend for a.
Speaker 4: While totally well.
Speaker 2: I am really excited about our guests. We've had him on the show once and before, although now he's in studio with us, which is always a lot more fun. Someone who has been covering this story for years. I first discovered him probably in two thousand and eight or two thousand and nine, watching his YouTube videos where he was in China looking at these gigantic I think the term at the time was called ghost cities, where there are tons of skyscrapers and apartments and at the time no one was ever living in them, and had sort of raised all these questions about misallocation, all these questures. Anyway, we are speaking to the acid capitalist himself, former hedge fund manager, now all around cool guy who lives in Saint Barts, but he graced us with his presence here in New York City. Hugh Hendry, thank you so much for coming back on odd Laws.
Speaker 5: It is an absolute pleasure and you know, for the folks at home, if you want to see the future, you got to get high.
Speaker 4: Yeah, why is that? Why?
Speaker 3: Let's just leave it there.
Speaker 4: Let's not leave it there. Why do you need to get high to see the future?
Speaker 5: What I mean, I like me. So what that means is, so I'm on a mission to try and give the indication that the science of finance should be left alone and we should actually embrace the arts of the future. Yeah, that is a creative flow, and you're not going to get there just by clocking up hours, wearing a suit and staring at a spreadsheet. Yeah, you've got to get a little bit kind of creative with it. And so I'm kind of trying to put out my career. I've got my book coming out later this summer, and it's it's a different path. There are many paths. Yeah, we only get presented the path with the guy. You know, they're always guys, Whereas there are all those guys, you know, and they got the ties and they don't see the future, but they get a lot of air time.
Speaker 3: For listeners who can't see you. Right now, I can confirm that he is not, in fact wearing a tie. But Hugh here's something I want to ask. I feel like you might have the answer to this. Have you ever stared and EXCEL spreadsheet while on acid? What happens?
Speaker 5: You certainly don't stare at spreadge. I've stared at walls. I mean at Saturday night, there was a wall that really came alive. So I'll give it back to you on that try that.
Speaker 3: You should try it like new patterns or like when you do you realize something.
Speaker 2: The next time you go back and look at that spreadsheet, you see something there that wasn't there before.
Speaker 5: I just don't look at the spreadshe some has to have someone else look. Someone has to look at the spreadsheets. So actually what I did was, I mean the wonderful Bloomberg and the graphics package. There was a function for game I can't remember the name now, but I would load like the S and P five hundred and I'd have my designated kind of the images in terms of the moving averages and what have you, and i'd sign maybe ten seconds stage tart because it's like five hundred, and I'd watch and I'd see patterns, and for me, I was becoming like a paranoid schizophrenic because the charts would create voices in my head, and with those voices and the pattern recognition, and they were spread and concentrated on particular industries.
Speaker 2: Did you ever see the movie Pi? Yeah, that's one of my Have you seen that trace?
Speaker 5: And I haven't.
Speaker 4: I've always wanted to.
Speaker 2: Do an episode on that, which is basically like they're an old like Darren Aronovski movie, or this guy like is convinced he kind of has like a psychic breakdown, but he's sort of convinced that he sees the entire hire pattern of the stock market and can predicted second to second through like numerology and kablo and Jewish mysticism and all this stuff.
Speaker 4: It's a great movie.
Speaker 3: When I have mental breakdowns, I just eat ice cream and can't get out of bed in the morning. But other people unlock the secrets of financial markets much more productive.
Speaker 5: Well, I got paranoid because I was risking other people's precious capital using these voices in my head. But the paranoid is a good thing, and that's when I had to call for the spreadsheets. So don't get me wrong. I listened to music and I was kind of separate from my team, but there was a fusion where I had, like the CIA, I had an intelligence operation, and I said, I'm crazy, challenge me. Let's see if we can find a synthesis. So I take a position. I take a small risk position. But when we got or if we could get confirmation, then we would build and we'd lean into it. So you know, I don't mean just to be a circus free. You know there's more too.
Speaker 3: So speaking of challenging yourself, one of the things you're doing right now on your sub stack is you are publishing all the old letters from your hedge fund Eclectica, And I'm curious, what was What's the goal of doing that? Is it sort of self reflection? Is it seeing how your investment vcs have stacked up, you know, two decades or whatever it is later?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it is the diary of a long period of my life. And for I guess, you know, I take a different step perhaps from the rest of the community, and I gave everything. I mean, it became like a mouse trap. Like people liked it because it was a little bit zany. And then the challenges each month You've got to redesign the mouse trap. So I was always late. I had to be the very last day before I could actually get the thing written. But there's a lot happened over that period. We're talking about the period from October two thousand and two to October twenty seventeen. And you know, at leisure it comes at you know, my or my sub stock, and you get to see it and it resonates that I'm playing with language and you can then it's nice. It's like a game where you can actually I'm predicting. I'm trying to predict the future, and you can actually determine with your coffee if I got it right what my hit ratio is so and it becomes kind of fun. I hope.
Speaker 4: What have you learned about yourself?
Speaker 2: I mean when you go back and read those two thousand and two some of the over twenty years now, are there things that you look back at your own thinking you're like, oh, this was these ideas weren't fully formed, or things that you later changed your mind about or had new perspectives, Like what have you learned rereading your old hedge fund letters?
Speaker 5: Heavens? Yeah, what did I learn? I mean, the I tell you what I'm most proud about. It was a form of deduction which I had write at the beginning, because right at the beginning, this is before the Zukenbergs and you know, the Amazons, where you have a platform, it goes global and like you're the richest person on there, like Elon, etc. And back then, the highest return intellectual capital was to be a hedge fund manager, you know, like two and twenty if not more. And so by logical deduction, you got to think you're up against the smartest minds on the planet. And of course when you meet some of these guys and girls, maybe not, but you know, but it kind of stands up. Yeah, And I kind of concluded that it actually didn't make any sense to twine out smart the smartest people. Yeah, like you're going to fail, Okay, And so I reverse engineered and I said, why is it in this like musical chair game that we call the markets, why is it that it's not enough to be super super smart, Because let's face it, everyone out there and listening to this, everyone's got like a really high threshold level of intelligence. And so that's why, you know, we come back into my acid capitalist. Yeah brand, it sounds like cute and stuff, it actually had a function, you know, and you know when people would throw up their arms, So who were to fast forward into horror story of late two thousand and eight and Liman goes by and crabs and we've all seen the movie, you know, the Big Short. I mean I knew all those guys. I was the London operation of that. But yeah, when the suit guys throwing their hands up and they're saying, who would have guessed that? Well, littleal me. You know, I made fifty percent in the month of the two.
Speaker 3: So one thing we wanted to talk to you about is obviously China. And I feel like going back and reading over some of your own your old notes. Uh, directionally, you got the China call right, but timing has sort of been an issue here and maybe it goes back to those policy levers that we were talking about in the intro. But walk us through the China thesis in sort of the early mid two thousands and how it panned out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I am the pig on the Chinese column and China. China has been has been the formative energy and force for my career and the career of all speculators, and really over the last forty years, the rise and rise of China has actually, I think been responsible for the what is now the preposterous rise and rise in asset prices. Not trying to explain that, but you know, back at the beginning, when I was listening to the she I was seeing the sheet music on my Bloomberg terminal, I was seeing the chart formations. What was I seeing? I was seeing the most ugly old industrial businesses that no one had wanted to own for twenty years. Everyone was in services and drugstocks, et cetera. I was seeing the worst businesses and they were coming alive. I trapped you.
Speaker 2: Through what's example that when you say that one of the worst businesses and they're coming.
Speaker 5: Up, Oh, they would be like smelters, Yeah, you know, like I mean, just insanely ugly business is. Yeah, they had not earned an appropriate return on capital for the longest time, and they were coming alive. And so I used a lot of like you know, like people on Twitter and stuff in Bloomberg they throw around charts and they look at a three month charm me one is a three month chart. I want ingredient show me everything. So I'm looking at forty years and I'm seeing things which stop falling and then One of the other key determinerts that I was using was things go right, stocks and risk positions. They go right relative to their peer group before they actually go right in absolute terms, and so you've got to lean in there. So I was beginning to say this immense relative performance. I mean, let me give you an example with regard so like another like really dumb thing, which is gold. I know that inflames people, but you know gold had had what twenty five horrid years. It peaked at eight hundred and ten bucks in nineteen eighty and it was like two hundred and seventy bucks by the time the British Treasury got through selling it at the very very bottom in two thousand in two thousand and two, who are they selling it to? I was buying it my first I got fifteen years of this blessed thing we call speculation, because my first calendar year I made fifty percent. I'm not glory. What I'm meaning by that is the failure rate in hedge funds. It's like a restaurant. Most restaurants fail, yeah, and the return to the survivor is really high. And I got happen as there was times, so I didn't think I was gonna make it, but I was absurdly long gold. And again, if you're like a wanna be new hedge fund manager, like I got it, tariously, you ain't gonna make it in your first year if you're not making money, and you ain't gonna make it if you're like making six or seven percent and trying to tell people your sharp ratio is really good. You're gonna make it if you find like and you concentrate and you take leverage in a rising asset class and it's volatile, and you you chase the dragon. And that was gold back then. And I'd got gold because gold did nothing, okay, but we'd had the NASDA crash stop markets had collapsed. Gold had done nothing, And so when you look at the relative performance of the two, Gold was saying, baby, I'm coming by, and you know that, and that was good. Why why was all this happening was happening because back then, China was the size today of the Turkish economy. Yeah, today is the size of the European economy. And the markets and my prices were telling me that this long journey was beginning to pick up base and their desire, you know, like they laid down more concrete, They used more steal, et cetera in like ten years than the US economy did in the twentieth century. You know, it was big, and that's what I was seeing, and I was long in.
Speaker 2: I understand, Like, Okay, you can point to specific commodities like obviously copper and some of these old industry you mentioned the smelters coming alive with the industrialization and rise of the Chinese economy. Zoom at a little bit further, because what you said is that China has been the biggest story in asset markets period and that the incredible rise and valuations and boom and ascid prices, it all, in your views sort of come back to China.
Speaker 4: How does that work?
Speaker 5: Because it's a cheap charter. Sorry to say it, but so you know, there's this thing that triff and dilemma. Yeah, you know, they don't have an independent munchro policy. They've kind of cut onto the coattails of the mighty US dollar, right, they have a dirty float, they have a close capital account. Now, so economics, which is a dire dollars subject, but economics at its heart is really the investigation and the study of how something in chaos kind of tries to return and find equilibrium and clear. Yeah and so, and it can be the opposite. It is an equilibrium and it's going to pull apart, you know. And that's like what people like me were kind of watching that and the rise. They've done amazing things. Yeah, they've industrialized. Yeah, and the reward in economics is you get richer for doing so the benefits. And they've not done that. They've not now and it's kind of like the frog, like boiling the frog. And like we've warmed up the Chinese citizens, we brought them into these conurbations. We've given them amazing factories. The rise in productivity from taking someone off a field and putting them in a semiconductive fab is insane. Yeah. And so they're getting paid like ten x what their grandparents got paid. They're like, hey, you know, this feels good. The thing is they should be getting paid more. And really where it should be represented is in the exchange rate. The remember, forgive me, I call it the red cabbage. You almost need a red cabbage. So the back when we had the NAFTA agreement with Mexico and Canada, they devalued their currency to six point three, and where's the currency today versus the dollar? So you needed six point three red cabbage and today you need like seven point three, which is to say you need more red cabbage. So they've got poorer now that that doesn't make sense, right, And then you were talking about your anxiety. I'm here, I've got a bill, I've had a chill pill for you. Okay, because again, right, so we what we're seeing in ev right, we saw it initially at the turn of this century. Again back to my like my letters and stuff. Biggest company in the world for a moment was Nokia. I mean those kids like listening saying Nokia was Nokia? Right? Nokia used to make televisions, and then they pivoted into mobile phones, right. And then Apple of course came ba at the turn of the century, biggest company on earth, and you had ericson and these guys control you, your G, your network, your five G, et cetera. Chinese came in and said, wow, that's kind of dope. We want that, okay, and now they own it and that's why you had all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how do you pronounce it's coming?
Speaker 5: It's coming, it's coming, right, Okay? And if you look at Ericson and Nochia today, those prices fell ninety five percent and just they've stayed in the graveyard. Okay. Then the Chinese came in, they said the same thing with solar, and now they've come in and they've said the same thing with ev What are they doing. They're saying, we don't need to make money like we allocate in America in the free world with the sharp jagged knife of you got to make it if you want to. We want to stay in the game. China doesn't. That's one of the implicit subsidies. Now, so where where do we see that? Where do we get that? I mean, maybe that's just cute, okay, But what China does, it's very good at creating GDP, but not wealth. So look at the stock market, right the stock market's flat flat for twenty five years, and the currencies is weakening. And that's the problem. And so what happens is with our savings model, all of it, all of it, and again, to maintain those advantages, they have to push all of their capital into risk free US treasuries. Okay, And unfortunately, only until the last two three years the US we were fiscally conservative, we should have been running huge deficits, but I was like, oh no, you can't do that. We should have been running huge deficits, and the Chinese would have funded the role out of the best like fast trains, the best education, the best healthcare, the best cities, you know, ships that don't crash into bridges and bring it all tumbling down. And instead, whenever we did something, we did a stupid tax cut. And right at the very end of this process, you're the Great Inflation Reduction Act, which is, hey, listen, we're going to pay you money to bring great technology and make it in the United States. That's working, and so what's happening today, the fascination and the drama of today is the fiscal policy is working and the US has been transformed into the economic locomotive for the rest of the world. Now, this dollar standard, the mighty dollar. It was not conceived on the basis that the US would be the chief. It wasn't conceived that the US would be at five and a half percent, And the ramifications of that are coming through the Japanese yet incredibly has lost forty percent.
Speaker 3: This is exactly what I wanted to ask you about, which is just to add to Joe's anxiety, but be panicking about a currency crisis right now?
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely so, Like again, heaven is, We've got to go back to nineteen ninety seven ninety eight, and we had the Asian Sovereign Tiger crisis. Countries like Thailand they had too many debts denominated in dollars and they had to they had to default. I mean, they're currency fell forty percent. Like the end, I mean, why no one's talking about the move in the end is terrifying. And through this period, the really what I wanted, like what you're to concentrate on is at the end, it was like an eighteen month period and at the end Taiwan right now, Taiwan had no dollar borrowings really tightly like Singapore, really well managed economy, and right at the end Taiwan devalued. And everyone's like what what are you doing? And it's the esorpient fable of the scorpion on the frog, like he gets the frog's like I ain't taken. It's like no, no, no, you're you're cool, You're cool. And they get halfway over and the scorpion like zaps and it's like whoa what year we talking about here, we're talking about nineteen ninety eight, okay, in Taiwan, right, And so the point is that why did Taiwan.
Speaker 3: Devalue in its nature?
Speaker 5: That's what they do. They weren't gonna leave a legacy of their neighbors having devoured by forty percent. So the big elephant in the room, and you touched upon it in your intro, is what if the Chinese come around and go boom and they devour you? Right, that would be profe I would call that mad max deflation. Now, one of the incentives for them to do it is the quantitative easy in the United States. I actually think it was sabotage for the Chinese because the very polite request was listen, you gotta revowl. Your currency should be rising. And why is that a good thing? Because one point for bailing Chinese people will be richer visa via the rest of the world, and they'll buy our things. You might, I mean, the dreamliners may have some problems just now, but they'll buy more, you know, and we'll work it out. And the Chinese stubbornly used to do that. And so if you can't revalue the external price, I think I actually quantitative easing coming out of the States and elsewhere, revaluate the acid prices domestically in China. And so now did they prick the bubble. They've got the biggest dun bubble of all time, sixty trillion dollar valuation, and what do you do with that? It's a lot easier if you devalue in dollars as opposed to the local currencies that all the people feel like they're still the frogs and the jacuzzi.
Speaker 3: Joe, I remember this from do you remember Dick Beauvay. Oh, yeah, the banking analyst. But he used to write about Qi as a currency war. It's like an underappreciated currency war. And this would have been in like twenty ten, twenty eleven. I still remember that.
Speaker 2: So let's take it to today, and I guess there is still this anxiety out there of a Chinese devaluation. We have seen them basically purposefully prick their own real estate bubble, and there's been a lot less speculation that seems like it's done. They're trying to The bet is that they can sort of make up for that with a lot of exports in advanced technologies, vehicles being the one we talk a lot about these days, but that basically it can be an industrial exporting powerhouse. And of course you know people always talk have talked about Chinese exports, but I think you know, the real growth driver was domestic investment.
Speaker 4: Now it feels like selling to the rest of the world. What happens here? Can it work?
Speaker 2: Can they make this pivot from a sort of inward investment, real estate focused economy to one where exports really lift everyone up.
Speaker 5: No? No, And it's back to your anxiety. Right. The biggest industry in Europe is automobiles. Yeah, yeah, And I mean listen to ELI. It's like the Chinese where they are, they wipe you out. You're gone, okay, right, So like you think Europ's going to sit there and go, hey, we're open, we're friendly. Common wipe is out right. That avenue is over the proportion of exports to the Chinese economy, the proportion of exports to the global g We're at levels where it's intolerable for the rest of the world to accept it. The bigger issue is, so here we are. I mean, I've been invested for like thirty five years and I'm saying to you, China going from the size of Turkey to Europe, and the avalanche of money and liquidity is why every asset price in America is high. And I think we're now at the I call it the o bay Yashi Maroo moment. If you remember from Star Trek, when it's a no when it's a no win scenario, there's no win because we got five and a half percent rates in the US, We've got a currency which is rising, and the rest of the world is like, I'm out of here, I'm checking out. And so the flow that is coming more and more into the US. Now the FED sitting there and it's listening to It's like the Bank of England in nineteen twenty seven when they were like over vowed on the gold standing like we're at four and I'm like, we're going to be overthrown by the Communist unless we can bring interest rates down. And so we went to the Fed and he said, the only way we can bring down is if you cut. Remember Benjamin Strong the cooped whiskey and he takes a cut. And what happened. The US stock market like went to the moon. It bred instability. So the big drama this year is the Koreans, the Japanese, and I think the Chinese are saying, you got to you actually got to subjugate the domestic strength of the US economy and you got to bail us out. Now if the FED, that's a no win. If the FED does that, like buy ten thousand call strikes on the SMB, it's not gonna be there in two months. But that's where it's going ahead really rapidly, because that's what happened by I get back again to nineteen nineteen ninety eight. Yeah, remember LTCM, So we had sovereign crisis. The US economy in the third quarter of twenty nineteen ninety eight grew at five point six percent, and what did the FED do? They cut rays and people are like, you guys are clowns. Okay, I'm buying stocks, and stocks again went to the moon. We're at a point where if the FED, so I think the FED actually Fed only ever cuts when something breaks, and the rest of us saying, we're kind of at that point. Okay, So if the if something breaks, the Fed's cutting is going to subjugate the strength of the United States economy like the interests of it and asset prices will become intoxicatingly like at levels. We've got to remember, trees grow tall, but they don't grow to the sky, and we're getting close to the sky.
Speaker 3: Why doesn't China try to boost domestic consumption if the rest of the world is like closed off to it, Why is it still so focused it seems on manufacturing, even though it's moving from you know, manufacturing TVs or whatever to semiconductors.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, you know, I wish to remain polite, but it's it's not a democracy, you know, the civil liberties are I mean, you know, I don't think as a contentious thing. You don't really have much in the way of civil liberties. Again the quid pro cause, look at your life. You're so much richer than your grandparents, and we just asked for a bit of talmerance. Like so you were saying again your anxiety about the Chinese and they're going to overtake us. They took the wrong bet. Yeah, because I was talking to someone like but what about the Chinese? Thousands upon thousands of PhDs, I'm like, yeah, Like, I'm sorry again, forgive me, but if you just completed a PhD, my god, you just chose the wrong moment in history. Why because we got AI, we got the AI and the PhD thing, by laws is the left hemisphere of your brain. If you're listening to this now the future, and if you want to be rewarded again, you've got to be kind of like an acid capitalist is right hand side of the brain. All that PhD thing has been made redundant.
Speaker 4: But they had hurt.
Speaker 2: The AI companies all have to hire PhDs, so some of them get jobs.
Speaker 5: Now now they just they invest in more. AI has become circular like PhDs.
Speaker 2: I talked to a founder this week, basically Tracy by the way, who says that all code will be written by a let's talk more about this idea. Okay, the FED is not going to cut until something breaks. You think the thing that will break will not be like a domestic thing, but will be like on the international front, walgust through like where we're at risk.
Speaker 3: Because a year ago the thing that was.
Speaker 5: I mean, it ain't gone away. Yeah, extend and pretend and all that thing. So I mean, you know, not wishing to name and chane, but an organization like Bank of America you know, has and like like a peer group has an enormous treasury portfolio, which it doesn't mark to market, and that is an inducement by the US Treasury to ensure that people are there to buy the treasuries. Okay, and so they've got they've got unmarked losses right which are this are the same magnitude as their equity. Okay, now, and where we are just now is that we started this year and we were going to get four, five, six interest rate cuts. And when you get that, the bonds normally kind of come off their ass and kind of rise and value and like their viability gets better. Okay, that ain't happened. If anything, you're the domestic consying, we need higher interest rates. Where's where's the tenure today? Like it was four and a half, we were heading close to to five before the weaker GDP statistics comes out, So that's still there. There's fragility there four point four two. And look when we get backhuntings. I mean, if we've got any banking analysts listened to this, can you do your job like rather than it's blowing smoke up the CEO, can you say, hey, listen, can you tell me what is the size of your unmarked treasury portfolio. What is the loss of it? What are you doing if you shifted the duration? Can you just talk to the street about it? No one asks, no one Like bad news comes out you really really, it comes out really really slow, and then it stings you. Let's let's ask the questions. So that's there, that's out there.
Speaker 3: But okay, just on the bank, So what when when we say that, Okay, if you marked the bonds to market, it would just blow a massive hole in banks equity. That is terrifying on the one hand, But on the other hand, part of me is like I find it hard to believe that the banking system is going to be ruined by investing into many US treasuries.
Speaker 5: Okay, I mean what is that? Just is a blind faith? I mean the numbers are like really big.
Speaker 3: I guess it's blind relativism. It's like US treasuries are the safest asset out there then until they're not.
Speaker 5: This is true, So I tell you, So what we're doing is we're flying high without a safety net. Okay, so we've we've been there. We had the again, I can't believe this is happening. The entire global bank king universe went bankrupt. In two thousand and eight, they were gone gone, right, but the US Treasury was it like sixty percent debt to GDP and these they stood in and like, you know what, we got it all right, We're gonna we've got these fun tokens. We're gonna issue lots of these fun tokens, and you're gonna come back. Okay, what happens? And that was your safety net. Where's the safety net now? Like if they tried that that maneuver again, people like me, people like get out of here. We're we're getting out of like we're not owning these silly securities because you're tapped out. Like so the US Treasury now is not the safety net. If there is folly and if there was an incident in the financial sector, it's top tout. It doesn't have the resource. So we're on our on That's scary. And so again that's why the next move for people is to consider, well, what if they what if they cut and they have to I actually think it could get so bad that we will go back to the notion of zero interest rates. And I think that treasuries, I mean, I've been so hideously bad. I've been owning leaps on the TLT. The long duration now leaps options. Like if I got a million dollar portfolio, I've been spending like fifty thousand dollars and then topping it up as I lose money on them, and just keeping a lot of time on it. So I've probably spent a tenth of my portfolio. You know, I'm underwater, but I own that because I think we're at the end of the most incredible bill market and treasuries, which again absolutely coincided with China and who came in to preserve their currency and believe it undervoured. They had to put money into risk grey US treasuries and they bid it higher. Okay, but the booll market and treasuries, it was a double bottom in price terms between nineteen eighty two and nineteen eighty four. If we put it into yield perspectives, the ten year peaked at sixteen percent. But in nineteen eighty four, as the economy came back, I found vigor. You went you you know the notion recency biases bisis. So the recency biases was strong economy, inflation and people sold the bones again. So in nineteen eighty four years peaked at fourteen and then that was it, you know, and of course they went to where they went to, like forty basis points during the COVID. I think the end of this boom market is in the next eighteen months, and I think the treasuries, I don't think they'll yield forty basis points, but I think they could get down to like one point two one point five years and that and then that's like and then sell them and get out, because we'll have to redraw and we'll have to examine and try and create a new monetary order.
Speaker 4: Exciting.
Speaker 2: I'm sure we'll have plenty of good episodes about that redrawing of the monetary order.
Speaker 4: Back to China. Didn't all those.
Speaker 2: Ghost cities that you toured and showed on YouTube end up getting filled? Because I feel like now there's one hundred what they call Tier two and Tier three cities that none of us know the names of that have like ten million people and with glstening subway systems and whatever else, like in your view, what happened to those what happened to those cities?
Speaker 5: Thank you for that? Because I was dead wrong okay, wrong, wrong, right? But can I tell you why? So? I like you get value investors, growth investors. I'm a time investor, would you believe? Okay? And I it was only really very recently I came to understand the Chinese like what do you call it? Like your horoscope and like the pursuit and the investigation of heavenly bodies around the sun, right, you like like Pisces and all that kind of stuff we use. We use the rotation of the ass rotation around the sun. Ya. Yeah, and I believe that takes a year.
Speaker 4: Twelve years. There you go, that's a very I hadn't heard. That's a very good like men.
Speaker 3: You have heard that before because we talked about this exactly the last.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but no, that's a good one.
Speaker 5: It is. And then like so when I was peak peak bearish, I was twelve years out literally it was twenty eleven. I launched a credit for I'd have made a billion box, a billion box if I had been twelve years in the future. You know, So I was wrong, But I want to tell you my time piece was twelve years out. Okay, and the time is now.
Speaker 3: When was the last time you were in China?
Speaker 5: I ain't rushing to go back to China.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I was kind of curious if you've been back recently seen some of the changes, or.
Speaker 5: I've been invited by some funky people to go to Mongolia and August. I would go August, but I think I'd rather be an Ibitha. But you know, yeah, so my last I tell you in terms of again formative and with the investment letters mark not the last time. But March two thousand and eight, I took a slow train from Wuhang to Beijing. It was quite grim.
Speaker 3: Not the high speed trend, No, it was.
Speaker 5: Really quite I liked struggling slow. It was really grim. I should have been buying the S and P. The S and P had fallen sixty five percent in March two thousand and nine, and instead I was and you know, and Wuhan, where was I am Muhan. I was in the wet market where the whole COVID thing. I should have been buying the SVP.
Speaker 2: Just in general, I mean, I am struck by this fact that like we hear all these different people and it's like diversification and international stocks and all this stuff and exotic things.
Speaker 4: In the end, we should have just all been buying the S and P had like gone and lived our lives.
Speaker 5: Right, absolutely, and like they're still peddling emerging Marcus, Like, how many? How many years does it work?
Speaker 4: I am curious because there's been a ton of growth over since. And this is always the thing. It's like, there's a lot of growth everywhere.
Speaker 2: What has been the fatal flaw of the international diversification slash em thesis that has been very popular and people are always repackaging and reselling.
Speaker 5: Again, I think it's my accent. You know you're not hearing me. They are not They are magnificent. These countries are magnificent at creating GDP growth, hm, right, incredible, right, But it's GDP growth at the expense of wealth, right, So let me get So, Let's say we've got a bridge. It's going to cost us a billion dollars. We're going to link to communities. And let's say it's in America and there's like and it's in the Bay Area, and the average per capital income of the two cities is one hundred and fifty thousand dollars, right, and so and you're going to cut like fifteen twenty minutes in the daily commute of all those people, people with that level of wealth cutting time is good, it's productive, it's going to add utility to their lives. Okay, And it's got a it's an NPV positive, it has net present value. Okay. So the value of the billion that you spend maybe it's maybe it's two billion. Okay. Now, if you join up two Chinese communities and the average per capital consumption is eight thousand dollars, if you're on eight thousand dollars, you ain't in a hurry. You ain't in a hurry, right, But you spend a billion, and what happens is you've not created wealth. So the if you were, if you actually had, if you were a corporation, you'd have to market because let's say you're taking a you're taking a token, it's a toll bridge, okay, And you do the DCF, you're going to quickly work out that your MPV is like half a billion, so you're in a half a billion deficit. That the half a billion deficit doesn't get measured in GDP. You measure the billion. And so this is why the strategy doesn't work because sure you get GDP, but where's the stock market? Right? And where's the stock market in America? Because what do we do. We actually go hey re'ch on on capital pause the MPV. We're in it to win it, right, and so we get less GDP, but we get the best stocks and the best stock market. That's the fundamental flaw.
Speaker 3: So one of the reasons we enjoy talking to you is because we get to live vicariously and pretend that we're talking Macro on a beach in Saint Bart's instead of talking Macro in an office in midtown. And you've been in St. Bart's for many, many years now, and I'm curious what changes have you seen over the years. And one of the reasons I ask is because I went to this, say Shells, which is on the other side of the world, but I guess it is a beach. And I went to the Seychelles last year. I was kind of surprised by like the number of Russians that I saw there, Just so much Russian money and coming from the US economy at a time when you know, it was all about sanctions, all about European energy crisis, things like that. It was kind of surprising to me to see that level of wealth externally.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, you know that Paul McCartney wings is banned on the run. I mean it's the Russians on the run. Yeah, I mean they're fleeing go to Dubai. And it's the same thing. You know. I tell from the beginning when I was writing those letters, like you want to solve Russia because that's the time of the emerages of the Oligarks, I was like, you want to solve Russia, you want to bring freedom. I mean, it's not for us to solve Russias, for them to solve it, right, but if we want to stop them and pinging and being annoying, being noisy neighbors, the number one thing you do is you say, all the rich oligarchs, no visus. You can't come to same Bars. You can't go to Seychelles, you can't go skiing in the Swiss Alps. Were in America, enjoy, enjoy the motherland. Okay, talk to the boss. I mean you sort it out. You know what, We'll look at your visit again. And that's so they do. They can't come to they can't come I'm gonna say they can't come to same Boss. But actually I'm thinking my my Christmas client actually is Russian. So some of them can get in, but Abramovich he came in and he laid down eighty million dollars in two in February two thousand and eight, and didn't put the same boss on the map. But you know that was like a huge investment, and property prices are absord you know, really absurd. I just got divorced and I had to do evaluation on the on the Portfolium. I mean, it's just it's insane. Same bars is kind of like Bobby Digital. I just forgive me. I call bitcoin Bobby Digital. It's goots, not a Bobby brother or something.
Speaker 2: What is you know, One of the things and we've talked about it a little bit on the show, is like the extreme concentration of ultra wealth in places like Dubai, Miami, et cetera.
Speaker 4: Like what is driving is it?
Speaker 2: I mean I sort of get it from the Russian perspective, wanting to get money out of the country being on the run. As you put in, what do you think, like what is the source of anxiety among the ultra wealthy that they're you know that they congregate in cities like Dubai or elsewhere to sort of get away from messi countries, Whether it's Messi democratic countries or Messi autocratic countries.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean that the Miami thing is is the same things. It's South America, you know, it's it's taking all of your all of your wealth and and really they're kind of robber barrons. It's the confiscation of other of the good folks money and getting it out of places like Venezuela and it resides might that's Miami. I'm an La person because I was gonna say La is a real place, which is kind of as you know, but I mean it's real in the sense that you've not got capital on the run, You've not got robber barrons like they're the Dubai and the Seychelles. It only exists because the US Treasury and the administration are looking the other way. I don't know why they look the other way. I really they don't because it's against the rue. It's like, look, you know, there's there's a war. We're like, we're kind of funding the Ukrainians against it, and we should be really tight and should be no slippish, and yet we let them, you know, we let them slip into Turkey, into into Dubai and into the status I would like again, you're staying, you're staying in Russia, call me when you're you're more polite to your neighbors.
Speaker 2: Hugh Hendry always great to catch up. Live vicariously a life that's much more colorful, perhaps than ours here in the Midtown office.
Speaker 4: But thank you so much for coming back on oline.
Speaker 5: Have been absolute pleasure. Let's do.
Speaker 4: That was a lot of fun tracing.
Speaker 3: It's always fun talking to Hugh. One thing I was thinking, I kind of do you think Bloomberg would let us expense the twenty five thousand dollars that it costs for like a VIP package to the Acid Capitalist summer camp Part.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure, for sure, I think so there's no culie. I think it's worth Yeah, let's go.
Speaker 2: I don't necessarily feel chilled or relaxed. I mean the idea that like something is going to happen at the treasury market, yields are going to go back down to one two percent doesn't make me relax.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: Also, the time to panic about the currency war line isn't exactly reassuring. The other thing I was thinking, I think the thing that will stand out to me is the idea about a lot of emerging markets being good at generating GDP growth but not wealth. I feel like that encapsulates, certainly a lot of the story around China right now, and the question over why not boost domestic consumption versus manufacturing and sort of repeating the same thing you've been doing for decades now?
Speaker 4: No, I mean I think that is it just true?
Speaker 2: Right, Like there's been incredible growth of some of these companies. I mean even if you look like I was looking at the chart of like BYD the other day, which is like everyone knows now, is like this like global behemoth, you know, arguably by some measures, bigger than Tesla. Like that Stuck is the same that was where it was in twenty twenty. But if you actually if you go back to even like twenty ten, or if you go back to like two thousand and nine, it's only up like threefold since it's peak.
Speaker 4: In two thousand nine.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is a company that was literally nothing and now at the forefront of like probably one of the biggest industries in the world.
Speaker 4: Like it's not amazing. You don't get paid very much to own.
Speaker 3: The less than Domino's Pizza, I suppose, yeah, exactly, But this is the other thing I was thinking about. So there are pros and cons to the command economy model, right, and the idea that you can pull all these policy levers because on the one hand, like yes, China can direct huge amounts of capital to whatever project it deems strategically important at any one period of time. But on the other hand, you get misallocation of capital, and then you get the uncertainty that's sort of hanging over investors where they can't predict what China is going to care about next. So going back to you know, the real estate crash, the three Red Lines program, and then the crackdown on consumer internet companies, like those are real expressions of the uncertainty of that particular aspect of the economy. Shall we leave it there?
Speaker 4: Let's leave it there, all right.
Speaker 3: This has been another episode of the Authoughts podcast. I'm Tracy Alloway. You can follow me at Tracy Alloway and.
Speaker 2: I'm Joe Wisenthal. Follow me at The Stalwart. Follow Hugh Henry. He's on Twitter at Henry Hugh. Follow him on Instagram. Be very jealous of his life, check out his substack in his book and all that again, make you very jealous follow our producers Carmen Rodriguez at Kerman Ermann, Dashel Bennett at dashbot and kel Brooks at kel Brooks. Thank you to our producer Moses Onam. For more Oddlots content, go to Bloomberg dot com slash odd Lots for your transcript of blog in the newsletter and chat about all of these topics twenty four to seven in the discord Discord dot gg slash outline.
Speaker 3: And if you enjoy all thoughts, if you want us to go to the Acid Capitalist Camp in St. Barts, then please leave us a positive review on your favorite podcast platform. And remember, if you are a Bloomberg subscriber, you can listen to all of our episodes absolutely add free. All you need to do is connect your Bloomberg account with Apple Podcasts. Thanks for listening.