Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: Ah, we're back, and you know we're talking about Versailles, me and my friend ed Edward Zitron. I've never called Edward. It feels wrong. It's mostly what my mother calls me.
Speaker 3: When I've done something like Edward Edward Benjamin Zitron. That's when I know I'm in real trouble.
Speaker 2: Edward Benjamin Zitron.
Speaker 3: That's when the that's that's yeah, that's that's when I'm about.
Speaker 2: To really do that. Yeah, I feel like I need to punish you for something. Just hearing that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's exactly it.
Speaker 2: It's the punishment phrase. So ed a better offline. We're talking about Versailles and the weird culture of oligarchy. Well it wasn't. I mean, it's an aristocracy, but whatever. Like, we're talking about this weird subculture that Louis the fourteenth creator.
Speaker 4: During that during that break between recording episodes, neither of you peede right because I'm not okay with that.
Speaker 2: I I pissed, behead you, behead you. It's done. Fortress. Honestly though, it'd be pretty cool if I just got to live in a fortress forever. I would not mind a nice fortress stead. But don't pee as long as it's all the time.
Speaker 3: I drink so many diet cokes I would be beheaded.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you would not have lasted a minute in verse I me, I'm great at holding my pe. I'd have been the fucking king's best friend. We'd have gotten wasted together. We'd have been gambling. It is funny to me that like all of these royal well every night gambling, constantly losing and making fortunes, like while the country. A big part of like why people get increasingly angry in the period from here up to seventeen eighty nine when the revolution happens, is like every day in these like newspapers that are getting smuggled into France and you know these other different like kind of news delivering methods. We'll talk about that whole news ecosystem in Paris in a little bit. But every day people are reading stories about like who lost how much money? And Versailles. So they're like, oh, the price of bread just tripled, my family's going to starve and die. And the Duke de Orleone gambled away seven hundred thousand livres like just burnt it for nothing. Kind of pissed about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, no, it's the case, may.
Speaker 2: Be, yeah right, I would dare not be pissed about it in front of the King. You know, the fact that gambling is absolutely central to the culture of this leadership caste, who all live at Versailles with the King. I can't not think about crypto and how central that is to the people who are trying to make themselves the new the American nobility, right, who want to be our hereditary aristocracy that rules things, and how they spend most of their time and money gambling on crypto. Yeah, anyway, I don't know, interesting interesting history, yes, yes, and they even have their own you know, they've got mar A Lago, which Trump clearly wants to be a sort of Versailles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he lacks the atrocity gene, true, like I'm sure he would love to do one, but like he lacks the killer instinct of these perverts.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, he did not have to literally fight a series of wars in over to get where order to get where he is, which again, that's consistently the best thing we have going for us.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's the same as like, well, at least this generation of fascists didn't all spend four years fighting in close quarters in trenches. You know that said neither did we. So the social constitution of Versailles took a lot from its founder, which meant that the whole place was a huge adultery club all the time. There's a great story in Nancy Mitford's book that might be apocryphal, but it tells of a high ranking noble returning home early from a trip abroad to find his wife in bed with her lover, and he apologized to both of them. He was like, oh my god, I didn't warn you I'd come home early. Of course you're fucking some dude. Oh my god, I am so embarrassed. This is on me. You know, it's not Poland, yeah, it's like Portland completely my bad.
Speaker 3: You should apologize.
Speaker 2: Oh rude. The normalization of this behavior among the ruling class contributed to a growing break with the bourgeoisie in the working class of France, because while these nobles who are living together, they don't really most of them. There are conflicts that emerge, but most of them aren't super judgmental about adultery, right, It is just kind of considered something you do. The working class and most of the bourgeoisie are extremely Catholic and they are not okay with this. And again, as more of this stuff leaks and gets leaked out, right, if you want to, if you are politically opposed to Madame de montespan right or whichever of the King's lovers, you leak out stories of her doing fucked up shit, you know, gambling irresponsibly, being drunk, sleeping around on the king right, or whatever, and that both makes the king look bad and it makes the King more likely to send her away right right.
Speaker 3: And because the peasantry would get morally offended, well, I mean, that's kind of a by product, right.
Speaker 2: The reason why you, as a noble at Versailles, are leaking out stories about her is you want to hurt her position, right, And the stories will get out into the press, and then the police will find out that peasants are talking about this and bourgeoisiser talking about this. They'll bring that story back to the King and then he'll know that he's been embarrassed. And so your goal is a noble leaking that is to influence that situation. But the byproduct of this is that the peasantry and the like the regular people of France are constantly hearing about how the king is sleeping around and not being a good Catholic, and that makes them increasingly angry and disaffected from the monarchy. This is a process that occurs over like a century, but this, the sheer weight of all these stories, changes completely how regular people think about their rulers, right, in a way that is very negative and that contributes to the growth of revolutionary sentiment. Right, it's a part of it, you know. So this whole process gets really escalated when Madame DeMont Span succeeds in using magic to win the king over as her lover. Now, Madame de Montespand had a husband, and in most cases, when the king fucks your wife, you're cool with it. For one thing. As a noble you are rarely married for love. Right. You got married with this lady because of a money thing, because of a political alliance. So like, you don't really care who she fucks as long as you're able to fuck who you like. Right. This is not the case with Madame de Montespan's wife and the king. Normally his thing is like to the husband, Hey, here have a couple of privileges. You you get all the tax money from this specific and it's something king, yes, oh yes, you get very well rewarded. Right. And it's also there's no shame in being cucked by the king, right, he's the king, you know, like it's kind of a bragging point of like, yeah, my wife is shtup in the king. Now I get all of the taxes paid on you know, fine leather work in Normandy or whatever, you know. But this guy felt differently. And his uncle was the Archbishop of Sins, right, so his uncle is a high ranking member of the Catholic clergy. This guy's pissed that the king is fucking his wife, and so the archbishop his uncle, in order to punish the king, finds a different married woman in his bishopric who's cheating on her husband, and he makes her do public penance. Right, He like puts her in public and punishes her, and he posts public warnings about the sin of adultery. Now, again, there's no free press in France, but numerous French papers and pamphlets are printed in Amsterdam or the Hague and sent across and the population is generally aware of what's going on. As a result, the scandal peters out. Eventually largely because the son king refuses to give a shit about it or stop traveling around with his wife, his pregnant former mistress, and his new mistress all in this shit same carriage. There's a very funny moment where they're all like traveling to the front together one day after they work out their differences and get along, and some of the soldiers they pass are like, I just saw the king and the three queens of France.
Speaker 3: Damn Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the fact they're alive. Will we're allowed to live? Yeah? I don't know the rest of that thirty one year old life. Yeah, right now. Speaking of which, travel in the king's carriage was one of the great honors the Versailles set competed over whenever he went on a trip. If he picked you to travel with him, that's a big deal, right, You've like won a major win. But it's also miserable. As Mitford writes, these journeys, except for the prestige they gave, were a real torment to his companions and the coldest weather, all the windows had to be kept open, as he could not bear stuffiness. The ladies were expected to be merry eat a great deal. He hated people to refuse food and to have no physical needs that would force them to leave the coach, and they hit, no, they can't do it any just if by any chance they were taken ill, fainted, or felt sick, they could expect no sympathy. On the contrary, Disfavor said it, he's such a freak. Louis the fourteenth had no sympathy for his pregnant mistresses either. He's going to get you pregnant, and he's going to take care of his bastard kids. He pays for them, He pays for them well, they live very well, and he's like the treats the kids reasonably nice. He hates pregnancy, so his mistresses, when he gets them pregnant, are ordered to hide their condition from him and the like. It's understood, if you get pregnant, you need to not tell me. You need to do everything you can to hide it, and you need to have the kid quietly and then smuggle it out of the palace into the hands of some common maid or a poor noble or someone who I will pay them to raise this kid. Right, So does this guy like every nine months or so, just find out he has a you child yes, Oh, okay, you basically Louis the fourteenth Life. Yeah, I'm kids crazy, another kid, Okay, some money, pay some random lady to take care of it. I don't want to hear about it though. Yeah, there's just one weird story. There's this lady who he like. He like, pays her to take care of one of his bastards because he hates her and he wants her away from Versailles. And then the kid dies immediately, and she's so sad about it that he starts to like her, and he's like, oh, you know what, then she got sad when my kid died. Now I think she's cool. He is, He's a weird he's nothing like then nothing would. Yeah. In general, one thing you are struck by reading about Versailles under the Sun King is that everyone lives in constant terror of pissing this one dude off. One of his courtiers who never quite made it to the inner circle later said falseness, servility, admiring glances, combined with a dependent and cringing attitude above all in appearance of being nothing without him, were the only means of pleasing him. Cool dad to hang out with.
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm joining my my economy ruining house.
Speaker 2: It would be miserable. It's built up bones and costs half of France to run.
Speaker 3: The Twilight Zone episode about this with like a child.
Speaker 2: Sounds horrifying. This sounds great for him. Yeah, yeah, now the end. Oh, I don't know that we have a full idea, but a bunch a bunch of bastards and some legit kids, okay, Now, a displeased king could be a terrifying thing. A representative story came when a group of the King's friends got lost hunting one day. They stumbled upon a cabin twenty miles or so from Versailles, and the old man who lived there took them in and fed them right. During a conversation while they're having dinner that night, they found out that he had been a frondeur, that is, a member of the rebellion in Louis the fourteenth childhood, right that we started the episode talking about. So the King's friends returned to Versailles and they're like, hey, man, you'll never believe this. You know, we met this old dude. He was part of the rebellion years ago. He just lives right next to Versailles. Very nice guy. You know, and they thought the King would find it amusing. The King was livid and he had the man trapped down and executed immediately. So real, not a forgiving fellow. What of For another example of like how Mercury old this guy could be one of his closest friends in confidants was a guy named la Zune, and la Zune got the idea in his mind one day that he wanted to marry the King's cousin. Now the same like at the same time as he's like being like, hey, man, you should let me do this, he starts making jokes which annoy the king, and the King gets increasingly pissed off over the course of the night. At like the fact that this guy is joking around and talking about marrying his cousin, the King has his very good friend arrested and locked away in a fortress for ten years.
Speaker 3: So the guy, well, the guys, the guy, the guy, the guy, Okay, cool. Why does anyone joke with Louis?
Speaker 2: Yeah it is. Is there a reward for being funny? I suppose yes, because a big, big part of why he likes the mistresses he likes is they can make him laugh. If you can make him laugh, you can get close to him, and there's you can get a lot of benefits from that. But obviously comedy is a very two edged sort, you know, kolemedy is both legal illegal again, yes, yeah, it really depends on how the sun King feels in any given moment. So very a dangerous place to take make jokes. This is this is truly insane.
Speaker 3: This is just like but it's like, there's a completely there's a set of laws social and financial, and you could just die because you were slightly.
Speaker 2: Rude, yes, yes, in a way that you would never have been able to guess, like you'll never find out because your dad Yeah yeah, yeah, your dad are or and usually just locked away. But if you're noble, usually you just get locked away. So by the sixteen seventies, the late sixteen seventies, Louis has created a captive society of increasingly deranged, terrified, out of touch nobles whose entire life revolves around trying to get him to like them. The stakes are life and death. A bad joke can get you locked in a fortress, and so again, people increasingly turn to black magic. And one of the things that's happening, as I said, A lot of this is nonsense, like these black masses and stuff I don't think are doing anything real, but there is a lot of real stuff being sold by these witches.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Witchcraft has always been heavily tied to early medicine, and particularly the use of botanical drugs. This often meant a border of fasciants, right, like if you got pregnant and didn't want to be, if it was bad for you to be pregnant, especially all of the fucking that goes on in you know, between these nobles, it's not always a good idea to get pregnant with the person you're fucking. You can get an abortion from these from these witches, right the witch but they also offer they offer what are called inheritance powders, which is literally poisoned to kill the guy you will inherit his like the money of right, like offer your husband. And over the middle of the sun King's reign, it becomes very common to poison rivals for his affections. In other words, you are trying to kill people if they are closer to the king, and you want to be close to the king. For the most popular poisons are arsenic and antimony. In Versailles, these were often snuck. How would you guess? What would you guess is the most common way to poison people to death in versai Well, poison them death. We're talking about tron spoiling.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna guess. No, no, no, I'm gonna guess that. It is like they sneak it into the food.
Speaker 2: M Okay, you're gonna guess food and you get a guess for the most common way to poison someone at versa something.
Speaker 3: To do with clothing, some sort of like some sort of accessory perhaps that can have a poison on it.
Speaker 2: That is actually one of them. But that's not the most common method. So I'm gonna give you a partial Sophie, you're wrong. The most common way to poison people at Versailles is to put poison in their enemas. So social life at the palace, there's huge feasts all the time, right, Like you're still be having these big feasts, and the king is obsessed. He hates it when people don't eat. If he is offering you food, you have to eat. You have to eat a lot.
Speaker 5: Don't ship in any.
Speaker 3: Presenting less you use the shitting the anima thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's fine then, is now didn't want to get fat? Right, Like there's a degree of stigma around that, especially for like women at the court. And more to the point, well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, body shaving.
Speaker 2: Do better sunking. The kind of food, the kind of foods people are eating, these very rich foods, a lot of cheese. People don't poop very well after eating feasts. So inimas, everyone is taking enemas regularly because it's the only way to relieve yourself after the king forces you to eat six thousand calories of final and meat. Here was this as well, This is like the sixteen seventy sixteen.
Speaker 3: How many people died from these fucking things? Like, we must have been a lot of infections.
Speaker 2: We'll never know because like number one, arsenic looks like a couple of other things, and somebody has a feast and then has a heart attack or gets it. People get sick and die for all sorts of reasons, and we're bad at diagnosing, right. We do know there are a number of proven poisonings, but we don't know how many of the deaths at Versailles because Versaia is also it's very easy to get sick there because you live in a big house with three thousand people.
Speaker 3: Well, like pissing and pooping disease in weird places.
Speaker 2: That's probably that's not much of the problem. It's more just that you know, flu season comes around and everyone is in the same big room together, right, you know, it's just easy to get sick. Again.
Speaker 4: The thought that you had in part one, the smell of this place.
Speaker 2: The smell of this place because people are also yeah, I mean they're using they're doing their enemas in their private apartments, in the chamber pots. But enemas are a daily thing for a number of people. And yeah, that's an easy way to kill them. As you just put arsenic in their enema, they'll shoot it out their ass and get sick. Now ed, you got this right, a very common method of poisoning. You would also impregnate someone's clothes with arsenic, right, So you would put it unlike the arms of their clothing or whatever, and that wouldn't do anything unless they like touch their mouth or their eyes. But people do that all the time, right, So the idea is that you put it in the garment, they'll get it on their hands. Eventually they'll touch themselves somewhere that the poison can get in, right, and the symptoms of arsenic are being are kind of similar to syphilis, So it has this benefit of if they don't know they've been poisoned, everyone thinks they've caught syphilis, and there's a huge social stigma to getting syphilis. So again, if you're trying to damage your rival, you don't necessarily have to kill them. If you can make people think they have syphilis, you can do some damage to their reputation. They won't be able to fuck people anymore, you know. Yeah, it's an issue now. Doctors had developed methods for testing poison by this point, and they are awful. The main one was if you think someone was poisoned, right, if some guy gets sick suddenly and he's like, I think I was poisoned, you feed whatever liquid or powder they think that they were poisoned with to a dog, and if the dog survives, it's not poison. If the dog dies, it's poison. Right. Pretty brutal, but like it makes sense now. Because the stakes were high and royalty is at risk, doctors are constantly pushed to innovate and create antidotes, and they don't really know what they're doing very rarely do these work, and in order to try and figure out if they do work. There's enough of science is becoming a thing in this period. Right, we're not quite at the Enlightenment, but people are starting to do science. And one of the ways in which they try to scientifically create antidotes is when a doctor thinks he's figured out an antidote to a poison, they'll find a death row prisoner who volunteers, and they'll poison them and then given the antidote, and if they survive, their sentence is commuted, they get off of the row.
Speaker 3: Right, I honestly would believe that they were just send back to prison.
Speaker 2: Like now they're they're not there's a reward. People usually don't survive. Right.
Speaker 3: Was all of this testing created specifically because of the sign?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean not, that's not the I guess there are people others accelerates are getting poisoned. This is not only a thing in France, right, Elements of this exists elsewhere, but this poisoning economy is created and largely develops because it's the shit like this existed under the Roman Empire and further back. People always provided poisons and stuff, but this specific industry, like version of the industry crops up as a result of Versailles.
Speaker 3: Right, you've got the which economy, You've got the poison economy, and of course the devil economy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Basically the extant poisoning and devil economy that had existed in France that was probably similar to the way it works in its neighbors, becomes this specific thing because of Versailles. Right, that's fair to say. I think I don't want to be like no one else poisons people, right, everyone's poisoning people. You know, we poison people today. We've gotten very good at it thanks to the Russians, you know, That's what it was going to be an ad speaking of which, Yeah, it is time for our ads, and we are sponsored entirely by Novachuk. Novachuck. If you want a lot of people dead very quickly in a way that will alert the entire security establishment of whatever country, you poison them in, Novachuck, we're back. And I can't believe you didn't accept the Novachuk ads for better offline, it really seems like a natural move for you.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm just saving my first like ad read for like Hanwa I think like or Loki, you know, the greats, the really I want to associate, Yeah, brand.
Speaker 2: I mean we're working on a Raitheon sponsorship for you, and this is cools on media. Yeah yeah, yeah, largely sponsored by Wraitheon. Get or a fucking who is it? The Sikorski like it doing black Hawk.
Speaker 3: Ads Cold Academy Now And that was in the past.
Speaker 2: That's in the past. So back to the poisoning economy periodicity, poisoners would be caught and brought to justice. This happened in sixteen seventy six with the Marquis de Brinvillier, who poisoned her father and two brothers but failed to poison her husband. And it's like a weird story. Her lover who was her accomplice in poisoning the rest of her family. I don't fully do stand, but he like decides to feed her husband the antidote because I think maybe of some strange sense of guilt. So she gets caught and sentenced and executed, and her trial is a media sensation. All of these newsletters and whatnot in Paris, Like every cafe in Paris, people are talking about the trial over this poisoner, this rich noble woman who is like poisoning her family, and before one thing they're majorly talking about is before she is beheaded, she says, it's unfair. I'm the only one being punished for this, because everyone at Versailles does this rightful.
Speaker 3: Sticky stuff conversation.
Speaker 2: All exactly, and she's not lying right like, it's extremely common to do all of this. Now, this is an accurate complaint and it sets off kind of a public moral panic over witchcraft and poison. Just about the only person who had been unaware of the trade and spells and poisons was the son King. Again, because all of this is being done in order to get closer to him and curry favor with him, he orders the parish chief of police, Gabrielle de Larini, to investigate. What follows is a three year plunge into the magical underground, where inheritance powders made of arsenic were sold alongside black masses performed by priests. From an article in the BBC History Magazine by Johnny Wilkes, one of the most popular potion peddlers was La Voisin, who named among her clients those looking for advantage at Versai the Duke de Luxembourg bought charms to keep him safe from swords, while a number of women look for any additive to seduce the key. I want some sword pills.
Speaker 3: And there's no wealth of way to protect from a sword.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, only only drugs. And it's funny because at like formal, especially at formal events, but basically all the time, swords are mandatory dress at Versailles, to the extent that if you forget one, they'll give you the loan you a sword at the door. You don't want to use the loana sword. You don't want to use the loaner sword. No, no, no, everyone's going to be at check out. Dickhead over there with the loan of sword and didn't bring that's that fucker's a rental.
Speaker 3: That's a real sword. It hasn't even got a sword amula either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and no sword ambula. What a dick. So, with Dila Rainy convinced of an epidemic, Louis appointed a special tribunal in April of sixteen seventy nine. Its sessions took place in halls lit only by flaming short torches, the Chamber Ardente Burning Chamber. More than four hundred people were accused, dozens exiled, and thirty six put to death, including love with sin. And this is partly because part of why this gets so bad is they they or at least Dela Rainey says, there was a plot to poison the king to death, right right, but like and maybe there was because people don't enjoy living this way. I was gonna say, like, it feels like there would have been more tempios on the case. There's probably was a plot to poison the king. Yeah, seems like a natural thing to want to do in the situation to leave like the frat house were. It's an understandable evolution of I'm poisoning all of my friends to get close to the king. What did we just poison the king? Yeah? We could go home. Yeah we could go home. I could sleep, I can piss. Quote. Fear spread among a court already riddled with suspicion, and the deaths continued, but Louis put an end to things after he heard a name of someone implicated that alarmed him. The Madame de Montespan, his mistress. Fearing the king made tire of her, she is said to have sprinkled love potions into his food potions made from Spanish fly iron filling sperm and minstrel blood. It was even claimed she had a priest perform a sacrilegious mass over her naked body, which involved the sacrifice of an infant. Monta Span was never tried, but the Trifai reveiled something dark and rotting at the heart of Louis Versailles utopia and Jesus that that escalated. That was not subtle. Wow, okay, yeah, I have a priest to a spell. So the king likes to me too, Like I'm putting sperm and minstrel blood in his food.
Speaker 5: I got the minstrel, I forgot the com Where do we get to come? You over there in the corner? It now you want to make a dollar?
Speaker 2: Oh man, it's so funny. I don't know that an infant was sacrificed. Every Satanic panic they talk about sacrificing babies. I feel like it's pretty uncommon to sacrifice babies. But maybe like these people are, I wouldn't and they could get a baby, right. It's not hard to get a baby counts right wright, of course you do need that baby might make you immune to taxes, unless it's like the eleventh baby in which cash, but most of the babies are dying, so like I can see if like some richly he's like, hey man, you know that kidd of yours isn't looking great. I need a baby as well. Also, do you any com trying to do one? Stop shopping here? Oh man? What a what a great culture. I love magic of the Court and Versailles, the common dead baby trade. This house is like off of the economy, is half of the rich economy. I mean that's how it costs. I don't know if they're spending that much each year because it doesn't make money by this point. But yes, this this house that costs half of the GDP to build.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's ruining the lives of every noble.
Speaker 2: It's destroying because now driving them insane.
Speaker 3: Again, it's like a gossip industry.
Speaker 2: He has created like the cultural equivalent of a death star, but it's aimed at his own country, like and.
Speaker 3: It's very people as well.
Speaker 2: Now, all of this, this, like this story, people can't stop talking about this, and I mean I can't stop thinking about it. Of course, this wild this and this massively accelerates the news the growth of a news ecosystem in Paris, right, and in the news, this kind of I'm going to lay out how this works. This whole news ecosystem in Paris sprouts. It existed before Louis, some aspects of it. There had been these things called libel's for years, which were like books about different people in government and politics, and you know, including some of the King's mistresses, that were like books attacking them, right, which are usually illegal, but they're sold quite often. Those that existed before Louis fourteenth. Obviously there had been some kinds of papers in other countries that would get into France. But what really accelerates the birth of a massive and honestly very modern, feeling news ecosystem in Paris is Versailles. Because now that all of power is centralized at Versailles, and all of the people in power, including the king, are no longer having much contact at all with regular people, right, they're not governing out of the same city that French people live in. They're increasingly locked in their own world. So if you're a normal French person, the media becomes your way to keep in touch with the government, right, this alien world of Versailles, you know, And so that is a lot of the fuel by which creates something very similar to our current social media ecosystem in Paris. Part of why this is able to work is that literacy is actually very common in Paris, even among the poor, Like a significant amount of people do know how to read, even p who do not come from money. But even if you don't know how to read, there's like an equivalent to TV news, which are called I'm not going to use the French term for it, but they're called oral newsmongers, right, as in someone who like just tells you the news, right. These are like the newscasters of their day. So it's not TV there's, but there is. There's a large chestnut tree in the center of Paris called the Tree of Krackowl. And so in the early mornings, these oral newsmongers will gather up all the newspapers they can, all the gossip, you know, they collected the night before, and they'll go out and they'll like read the best bits out to the crowd, right, and you know, people will throw them some money for that, and the people who stand around another chunk of people will stand around listening to these oral newsmongers. Some of them are just doing that to get the news in the morning. Some of them are taking notes on what these people say, and then these notes sometimes get turned into pamphlets, but usually they'll just bring them to the cafes and the bars later in the day and read them out to everyone there, and as a result, news disseminates in a very modern way. This is almost like having twenty four hour TV news, right, a podcast really yeah, or a podcast right, and that then turns in in some cases it turns into like print news, but it also turns into direct gossip that it's closer to, like if you think of the Tree of Crackout as like TV news, and then these cafes and bars are like Twitter and Facebook, right. So it is in a lot of ways. It's an extremely modern seeming system that develops here.
Speaker 3: It's so crazy how many different systems grew out of this necessity, yes, to create this insane alien world where the people that run the government. I was just thinking, like, these are the people running the government. They're not just like fucking around. They're also running.
Speaker 2: Fronts they are running for and that's why again, pieces of this aspects of what becomes this news economy existed before versaill versa. I supercharges it, and it also fuels it because most much, not maybe if not most well actually, honestly, usually most of what is being talked about at the Tree of Crackou and in these cafes starts as gossip. People at the courts smuggle out, you know, send out with an eight or whatnot. They'll write it down, they'll send it to somebody that they know, you know, passes stuff on to the people making these papers that are being smuggled in the France, or they'll pass it on to oral newsmongers. Because I want to get this piece of gossip out because it's bad for arrival. I want to get this piece of gossip out because it will hurt this person close to the king, or it'll embarrass the king and stop him from doing something that's bad for me for whatever reason.
Speaker 3: Right, and honestly, no one to this group, because it was fucking insane. If this was going on right now, this would be all I cad about.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, this is the only thing you'd want to talk about. It's the crazy house. Why would just be like, what's going on to someone poison the crazy house? Yeah, he pissed, Yeah, so it was said that if you during the you know, when these oral newsmongers would get up and give the news under that chestnut tree, that if you heard a branch crack, that meant that the newsmonger had gotten something wrong. And so cr que crack became slang for fake news. That's the first like fake news term and the last. From here, people in attendance would again take notes on the best bits in the DeCamp for cafes, wine shops and salons. Police would sometimes confiscate these notes when they could, but this was all simply too common to stop. The system is still in its infancy during the reign of the Sun King, but it starts to really grow during the reign of the Sun King, and it will evolve over the next two reigns, and ultimately this is a huge part of why there's a revolution, right the fact that there's these papers, there's these revolutionary presses and tracks, and the fact that all of this gossip about royalty is really bad pr for the nobility and for the king and the queen.
Speaker 3: They just sound insane.
Speaker 2: They sounded insane and awful, and it's kind of fucked up. As we'll talk about Eventually, the King and Queen WI ultimately pay the price, you know, which includes the queen being Marie Antoinette and her husband Louis the sixteenth are not nearly as bad as the son king, and in fact, my opinion of them is they were kind of trying to do the best they knew how to. But they were raised number one in this insane place and it deranged culture that has gotten even crazier by the time they come in. There's just no chance of them ever fixing, right.
Speaker 3: Question how long has this been going on? So, like, how long has the SI been around at this point?
Speaker 2: I mean by the time we're into the sixteen eighties, like twenty years something like that. Oh my god, fifteen twenty I think. So I don't think it's yeah, we're in this scene growing up going on. Yeah, well yes, yes, because again the Sun King reigns seventy two years, right, so and you know Versailles he starts building when he's like twenty four, right, so he is around with it for a long time. People are born and die with Versailles being the center of the French world during his lifetime, you know, and his time as the king. Now again It's important to note that the main reason why this very modern information ecosystem gets off the ground is there's this desire of what are called the little people to understand what the big people are doing at Versailles. As Robert Darton writes in The Revolutionary Temper, which is a great book about the way the media worked in Paris leading up to the Revolution. For most Parisians, especially the little people, Versaill was an alien world, and politics was the king's business, transacted in his name by ministers, courtiers, and power brokers among legrands. That's the big people. Yet worried about the power plays leaked from Versailles, and it converged with all sorts of other news in the information system of Paris. Legrands at the top of society had access. And these are not just nobles, right, Wealthy merchants are also at Versailles. And in fact, there's a whole cottage industry in books for rich people who are not nobles, who need to understand the stuff that nobles are raised understanding in order to not embarrass themselves at Versailles. That becomes like a cottage industry. And yeah, like a big part of what fuels. This is, you know, these people doling out rumors and lies, often for social cachet. If someone makes a crude joke at the king's expense or flirt with one of his mistresses, they can upset dynamics at the palace in ways that are beneficial to them. Now, the downside of this constant churn is that people outside of Versailles get this feeling that everything going on there is like illegal, immoral sex, gambling and wasting all of the country's money. Right, because which is partially largely accurate.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, it doesn't sound like they were unreasonable in believing that.
Speaker 2: What's kind of fucked up is that Marie Antoinette and Louis the sixteenth are like, compared to Louis the fourteenth, fairly moral people. They do not engage in at least nearly the same level of adultery. They are less wasteful than the kings before them. But because the royalty have this reputation by their time, they get that reputation too, right because everyone for a hundred years, all that everyone's been writing about how fucked up Versailla is. They're not going to stop now just because these people are like forty percent less shitty, right, Which is not to say that Antoinette and Louis the sixteenth weren't shitty or wasteful, They just weren't as bad as their predecessors. Yeah right. So as he aged, the Sun King did grow less promiscuous and more focused on maintaining control. As Johnny Wilkes writes, Louis turned his life movements and even abolutions, which is like, you know his toilet has cleaning himself into a daily performance governed by a seemingly endless list of detailed rituals and strict rules of etiquette, all in order to keep the nobles busy. All revolved around the Sun King. Starting when he first awoke, A select group be granted and access to the King's bedchamber, although they were not to cross the railing to get near the bed during during the ceremonial rising, and only the most senior in the room had the honor of helping Louis into his shirt. Did the same thing at cees, Yeah, same thing. Yeah, that's exactly how we handle ce Now. The fact that life there was a constant series of balls and parties necessitated constant grant state expenses for fireworks which sometimes kill people, and food in the law. But it also kept the courtiers there in constant debt. Many had to borrow from the crown to afford the accouterment of life at Versailles. Yeah, the king.
Speaker 3: They had to get from the king to go to the king's party.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and this is again part of how he maintains control when the sun came, and part of why it's so expensive is like what's acceptable fashion changes on a whim. So when the king starts to go, bald wigs become fashionable, right, and suddenly everyone should have a wig because the king does. And when the king has asked surgery for an anal fistula, people start wearing like bandages around their crotches like HiT's yeah, mates, yeah, it's also crazy fucked up man.
Speaker 4: It's like when we saw those guys wearing the ear bandage at the r this year.
Speaker 2: It is exactly like that.
Speaker 4: So rised.
Speaker 2: This is like coo, just like that. Yes, this is this is so insane.
Speaker 3: Probably even if even if this was just people partying, it would be strange. But the fact that this is the like the economy.
Speaker 2: By the by this point the sixteen eighties a decent number of the people here have been like raised in this. You know, they don't know another world exists.
Speaker 3: Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: In sixteen eighty three, the Queen died and Louis married his current mistress, Madame de Mentinon. He was less of a rake by this point, in part for the sake of his immortal soul. A king who was known as an adulterer couldn't take communion while he lived in sin. This was a power that the Church had, and even the king really couldn't force them to do this once he was no longer in the prime of health. Louis worried about this more and more, because if you die not taking communion, you go to hell, even a king. Right, So that's the understanding that, like if the king is committing adultery and doesn't stop in time to get forgiven and you know, given his communion and last rites and whatnot, then he goes to hell. Even the king will go to hell. And as he'd gets sicker and older, Louis worries about this more. Now, As I said, the King Sun King's reign is impossibly long by the standard, like thirty years is a long reign for a modern dictator with access to modern medicine. If you make it to thirty years as a dictator, you were doing very well, right. The Son King reigns for seventy two years. He is the longest recorded reigning monarch in history human history. Now there's some argument about this with people for whom our documentation is less good because date keeping was just in a very different state. But they just I mean, I can't. It's very hard for someone to be king for longer than seventy two years, you know.
Speaker 3: And it was likely sustained by the complete insane of the world he made.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it was also the government thing. Yeah. What if Congress was just Vegas my house?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What if the House of Representatives was a place they lived? Yeah and fucked.
Speaker 2: Yeah that said, you know, by the time he's getting laid in his reign, kings are like anyone else as they age, the shit that used to work don't work. And Louis had been for most of his life a very successful war leader, but in the last decades of his reign he makes increasingly poor decisions, and some of these lead him to participate in the War of Spanish Succession in the early seventeen hundreds. A lot of the wars in this period are wars of succession. A king will die without an air everyone will feel like, well, iveyl, like one of my relatives should be in there, you know, and then maybe France, you know, can effectively be helping to govern Spain or whatever. This does not work, or at least what Louis wants out of the War of Spanish Succession. He doesn't get. The war is kind of a mixed bag for France. Her ambitions in Spain are stymied, but she does close the war out after years with some strong winds against Austria. Right, so it's not a total calamity, but it's hideously unpopular and by the end the country is like bankrupt, and in fact the economy shits the bed so bad that Louis has to melt down ten million livres worth of silver furniture at Versailles to pay the crown's debts. This is not a good deal because it only results in three million livres worth of metal. Newsmongers whispered that the king might have made more headway on the crown's debts if he had sold the crown diamonds, but Louis couldn't stand the idea. He loved seeing his female relatives nieces and granddaughters and the like, wearing diamonds, and he was absolutely unwilling to sell those time. That's unreasonable to expect of him, of course, of course exactly. And look, if you don't want to sell your royal diamonds, uh, you know.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't sell mine.
Speaker 2: Buy some diamonds from our sponsors.
Speaker 3: Okay, yep, yeah, I'm good, just emotional that he couldn't have this, but he can't turn cool Zone Media into the party house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this will see, yes, is going to become for me though. This is inspired me. Yeah, I have always wanted to create a giant house and make all of the podcasters live there, podcasting Versailles and called.
Speaker 1: The content It's called a content house.
Speaker 2: It's called a content house.
Speaker 4: And don't look up the suicide race.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, that does sound like a nightmare. The pods save guys are going to be poisoning each other to get close. Like I said, Actually that part sounds rad This sounds great. So we're yeah, I mean we've been back, but Versailles had to downsize in its last year's right, Louis the fourteenth is not doing as well at the end of his reign as he had at beginning. Frances broke and it will it will be in a kind of semi constant state of being broke until you know, Marie Antoinette and her husband get forced out. Right for an idea of how of how fucked up things get. At Versailles, at the height of the Sun King's power, there had been fifteen hundred fountains at Versailles. Right by the time of Marie Antoinette, there are only three hundred. Yeah, tragic, It's tragic. You hate to see it.
Speaker 3: I only have two hundred.
Speaker 2: I mean that's yeah, it really is, you know, And and I've been telling you you could, you'd need another thirteen hundred fountains. I agree. Just fountain technology is advance so much it is crazy versus this one palace for the king had more fountains by a long shot than Las Vegas, Nevada. Yeah, like, like way more fountains. How big were they though? Some of them are pretty big. They're pretty big, and they have to because the technology is not as good and there's like getting enough water is harder. They're having to constantly turn them on and off as the King approaches different areas, so he doesn't know that they're not on. And also just because like you can't have them all functioning at once, there's too many. So there's this whole network of like people running back and forth. The King's going here, now, you gotta like turn this one off, get the flow going to that one.
Speaker 3: Right, there's a decent chance he had no idea that any of this is happening, just like reality to him must be complete, must have been completely insane. That's like life fucking rocks. Yeah, I walk around, there's always fountains.
Speaker 2: There's always fountains. Or he took a lot of joy in the fact that everyone was like constantly working, and he there was an extent to which he did want everyone always obsessed with keeping him happy. Right, But it is that also that's kind of that causes brain damage, right, having being this separated from reality and this insulated from everyone else and living in a situation like this, like you would be hurting your head less by just standing next to one hundred and fifty five millimeter howitzer while it fires all day, right, like it's I cannot overemphasize how bad this is for you, and how much this affects his judgment making right.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: He's also older, right, which means that he's not thinking as clearly as he used to be. Maybe there's some aminsha here too. He's sicker, but he makes a lot of bad decisions, right, and he's aware of this to some extent. His last words are generally reported as being I have loved war too much, right, Like, he really seems to regret, and that's what he passes on to his successor, don't do as many wars as I did. It ended badly, right, I got way too into war and it really was great. We are broke now. I had to melt down my furniture.
Speaker 3: But also the furniture was made of fucking silver, a lot of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But the fun it's just a bunch of fucking full metal. Yeah. Yeah, I think a lot of it's plated. Okay, I'm sure a decent amount of it's silver plated, but also not all of it. Right, he does have the money for pure silver chairs and stuff, you know, the king, Yeah, so good. And again this is one of kind of like the I don't know if tragedy is the right word but one of the things that is like unjust here is that the last king in his line, Louis the sixteenth, you know, Marie Antoinette's husband, is going to be murdered in part as a result of this horrible system of debt that gets started in the end of the Sun King's reign. Louis the sixteenth hates war. He's like the only one of these guys who is not at all interested in starting wars. He does get involved in the war that the US has right like our War of Independence, but he's not like a warmonger in the same way that his relatives had been, in part because he sees where it takes the kingdom. But he's ultimately going to pay with his head the price for all of the warmongering that is his grandpa and great grandpa and what not do nor his great grandpa and I guess great great grandpa. It gets a little confusing because since Louis this fourteenth had reigned for seventy two years, he didn't have any kids that are alive, right, Like, those fuckers all died a while ago, you know, Yeah, they got poisoned or they got the fucking symholists or whatever. Yeah, well he's he's got all. He's probably trickled. This really stopped working right, right, and so it's going to be his successor who becomes Louis the fifteenth, which, if you've seen the Sophia Coppola Marie Antoinette movie, this is the guy rip torn place. Okay, yeah, the second Louis. In the Versailles line, there are only three kings during the period of Versailles being the center of France, right the Sun King, Louis the fifteenth and Louis the sixteenth, and Louis the fourteenth had reigned so long that Louis the fifteenth is his great grandson. He was five years old when he was crowned the king, and this came as a surprise. He was not expected up until kind of the last moment that he would be the Delphine, and Delphine is the French word for the prince that's going to inherit being the king, right, that's the Delphine, So this comes as a surprise. Other people are in line to be the king before him up until the last minute, right in the last five years of the Sun King's rain. The Grand and Petite Dauphines which are the first and second in line for the throne, both die of smallpox and measles, respectively. Louis the Fifteenth's brother, who was also ahead of him, becomes Dauphine, but then he gets measles, and also the Louis the fifteenth gets measles too, right, they both get mesles at the same time. His older brother dies, he survives, and again, stories like this are very common at Versailles in particular. That's not the only obviously, it's a lot more common to die of sicknesses like this and for them to sweep through families, even noble families, all throughout Europe. But everyone, you've got three thousand people living in one big house, disease spreads more readily, right, and.
Speaker 3: A place where people probably hide their symptoms as well, because they don't want the king to think.
Speaker 2: Because the king gets angry if you're sick, yeah, because it's yes, yes. So Louis the fifteenth ultimately becomes king because every three other guys die in quick success over the course of a couple of years, and the treatment for measles that he and his brother both undergo is blood letting, and that kills his brother. But he survives. Now, in the Sun King's last days, he rewrote his will to limit the next king's power and establish a regency council because he knows that the next king is going to be five, right, and he also knows it that's the reason. Well, the bigger reason is that a five year old can't be king. Yeah, he has to wait till he's thirteen. But of course the kid's great uncle, Philip the Second, the Duke of Orleon. He's the guy who's supposed to be regent so ruling in the king's stead. The Son King doesn't like the Duke of Orleon because he's an atheist and a warmonger.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, that's that's how the Sun King sees him, right, And instead, the Son King wants his bastard son, the Duke of Maine, to be the regent until Louis the fifteenth is old enough to take up the job, so he rewrites his will. But as soon as the Sun King dies, Philip leads a coup in the wake of the Sun King's death, and he goes go to the Parliament of Paris, this which is again a legal body, and he convinces them to a null parts of the King's will. In exchange, he reaffirms what it's going to be called the right of remonstrance, which is parliament's power to challenge the king to say no if the King says I want a new tax or something. Right, and the fact that the Parliament gets this power back is going to lead to a number of conflicts that become contributing factors to the revolution. Right, and it's as a result of these kind of court politics. Right, Philippe wants to be the regent. He doesn't want this other guy to be the regent. You know, after this, you know, this whole mess with the will is sorted out. The child King Louis the fifteenth has a normal childhood, you know, by which I mean at age seven, he's given to a seventy three year old general and taught military etiquette and court etiquette. He learns how to ride and hunt, while Philippe proved that the son king had been right not to trust him. One of Philip's first big moves is to make a Scottish economist named John Law the Controller General of Finances, opens a private bank that becomes one of the first banks in the world to issue paper money, right, massive innovation. Unfortunately, the primary purpose of this bank is to take investments for the Mississippi Company, which meant to colonize Louisiana. And if you've been there recently, you know this didn't work out for the French, right, you know, New Orleans is pretty nice, but like, overall, they don't Louisiana doesn't become a great functional colony. And this is kind of like a Ponzi scheme of its day because it collapses. The plan collapses, which kills the national bank and bankrupts a huge chunk of the nobility who had invest it into it. Right, Oh God, Like, this is like a massive financial disaster of its day. So more of these guys go in debt to the crown, and the crown knows primarily how to help these guys. If you want to help these nobles who are close to the king rebuild their fortunes, your main way of doing that is to give them the right to tax certain areas. And there's only a limited number of these taxes. You have to create new ones, which means the recovery of these fortunes by the nobles is going to be born largely by the poor and the bourgeois. He right.
Speaker 4: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: Louis the fifteenth gets married to one of his cousins, Marianna Victoria of Spain.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: This is there's a there's a six year age gap. She's three and he's nine. Problematic, but not for either of them. They're not really in charge of this. There again, a six year old and a three year old or a nine year old a three year old. The bride is sent to the Louverra to live with her husband. But after about four years of this, the.
Speaker 3: Child pride to the child king.
Speaker 2: Then Philippe dies and she gets sent back home because she's not old enough to have kids. Thank god, there's that understanding. Seven year old's a little young to have children.
Speaker 3: But you know, it's fucking France.
Speaker 2: They were like thinking about it. They thought about it. Rack Benjie. Louis the fifteenth takes over ruling duties at age thirteen in June of seventeen twenty two. And again when we talk about the degree of complicity, by this point, Louis the fourteenth totally responsible for his actions. Louis the Fifteenth partially, but you have to do it. You do have to take into account this man becomes king at age thirteen, and again Marie Antoinette married at thirteen. Right, these are children being thrown into these roles, and to the head of this insane you are taking a thirteen year old and saying, hey, you are now the head of the most like, insidiously fucked up and mentally dominating cult that has ever existed.
Speaker 6: Built for someone else, built for someone else, good life, someone else when they were more sane than they are now, which they were not very sane before, but now they're really insane.
Speaker 2: This cold designed by like a once in a several generations political genius Twining who was a mature adult. Yes, good luck, good luck. So this thing that had Versai had initially been a way for him to exert control. By the time his successor takes over, the system is controlling the king as much as it's controlling the nobles. Right, they are no longer running things, because this increasingly arcane system of etiquette has taken on a life of its own, And so from the beginning Louis the fifteenth is as much a prisoner of the system as he is the guy at its head. For an idea of how cloying and total it could be. A treat is from seventeen twenty nine on napkin etiquette stated it is ungentlemanly to use a napkin for wiping the face or scraping the teeth, and a vulgar error to wipe one's nose with it. The same there do you do it? You just get it's a looking napkin, You just keep it.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The same treatise went on to insist the person of highest rank in the company should unfold his napkin first, all others waiting until he has done so before they unfold theirs. When all of those present are social equals, all unfold together with no ceremony.
Speaker 3: For this useless napkin.
Speaker 2: For a napkin, there's books written on napkins sick. Every night includes a grand dinner, which is a public event. Anyone who is at Versailles can show up and watch the dinner, but it's only public in the sense that the public can watch. Only the royal family gets to sit and eat. Right, and based on your rank, if you're a duchess or a princess or someone similarly high ranking, you might get to sit at a stool. Right, Okay, everyone else has to stand. The king is the only one who gets a chair with armrests, I think is why. I think the king and queen both get armrests in their chairs, and if another king is visiting, he gets a chair with armrests. Right, Although this is complicated because of all of this etiquette, Like you can if you're in a room with a bunch of people, only people can only start conversations with someone who is an equal or lower rank to them, so talking about anything is really fucked up. And generally when kings visit, When kings and queens visit, they visit incognito, which is they pretend to not be the King of Russia or Prussia or wherever. They pretend to be just another random nobleman with a fake name, because then they don't have to deal with all of this etiquette. Because usually if you're a king who's heading there, you're heading there to handle some very serious state business and you don't have the time to deal with all this bullshit, so you just lie and say you're someone else and everyone knows. But then we don't have to do as much of the bullshit.
Speaker 3: Right, But who decides who the social hierarcky or is this arbitrary.
Speaker 2: It's been decided over the course of years. So I mean again, a lot of this comes out of the earlier feudal system, right, but you have princes and princesses of the blood which you're above, you know, these kind of lower ranking nobles, and you've got this.
Speaker 3: Whole everyone insane. Hi, every single person there is just experiencing psyches.
Speaker 2: Yes, old times people are people are constantly like it's this, It's this maddening thing. Like if you are if you are handing the and this happens if you're handing the king or the queen. If you're the highest ranking guy in the room, when they wake up and you're handing them their shirt and someone else walks in who is of an equal or higher rank, you have to stop and give the shirt to them. There's a at one point when Marie Antoinette is like new to the palace. This happens like four or five times in a row, and she's just standing there naked in the freezing cold, like, for the love of God, somebody please give me clothes, you know, like that that's an actual thing that happens. Oh no, another guy walked in. Another lady walked in. No, no, no, she gets the shirt. Now, look, we literally you are not allowed as the king, like by this point, if you're the king and the queen, you are an absolute monarch and you are literally not allowed to touch your own shirt because that would be this hideous violation of etiquette that would like upset this very intricate social system that everyone is reliant too. And the fear was that if you break any of these protocol everything kind of everything collapses. Right, that's exactly it, right.
Speaker 3: The most expensive cultival time.
Speaker 2: It's such a stupid system. It's so fucking funny, it's it's really funny and dumb. So doors could not be knocked on, right, You can't knock on a door because the sun King was annoyed by knocking. And so again another of intricate etiquette revolves around how you let someone know you're at the door, because you also can't open doors. Only courtiers can open only like like staff can open doors, basically, right, no one else can open So you're you're not opening any doors. If you want to get in, you have to scratch the door with your left little finger and you're right now, you're right. Courtiers start growing this left fingernail out like the left lower little fingernail out like a coke nail, so that they can more effectively scratch the door to get whatever Lewis is reigning's attention at the time. Just like a little like a talon, like a towel. You got a little towel, You got a cokenail, the king's expression, yeah, lovely. Etiquette enthusiast and Etiquette Apedia editor Marra Graber lays out how absolutely claustrophobic the system was by Louis the fifteenth reign quote. At the palace, the courtiers lived under the despotic surveillance of the king, and upon their good behavior, their deference, and their observance of etiquette, their whole careers depended. If you displeased a Louis, he would simply not see you the following day, his gaze would pass over you as he surveyed the people before him, and not being seen by the King was tantamount to ceasing to count. At Versailles, a whole timetable of ceremonies followed, much of it revolving around the King's own person. Intimacy with Louis meant power and power was symbolically expressed and attending to certain of the king's most private and physical needs, handing him his stockings to put on in the morning, being present as he used like the bathroom, right rushing when the signal sounded, to be present as he got ready for bed. It mattered desperately. What closeness did the king allowed you, whether he spoke to you in front of whom, and for how long. The point about Versailles was that there was no escape. The courtiers had to make it where they were. The stage was the Louis, and the rules and the roles that could be played were designed by him. It was up to each courtier to fit him or herself into one of the slots provided. The leaders of all the other towns and villages of France were made largely through the use of etiquette, and more specifically through rudeness and judicious sliding by the tax collecting intendants to feel their subordination, their distance from the court. That's a good system of government.
Speaker 3: Yeah sounds it feels like you just live in this constant state of paranoia. It reminds me of like the death of Stalin as well. Yes, just like apologizing to people or like not apologizing because that emits guiled.
Speaker 2: Whenever you have an absolute monarchy, right and again, you know Stalin Stalin's Russia isn't technically a monarchy, but it's you've got it's an absolute dictatorship that they're all more similar than they all are different. And anytime you have one that's this absolute, it it's it is a cult at the top, right, Yeah, because everything surrounding the ruler has to be both an altered reality, because there's certain things he refuses to see and does not have to be aware of. Right, Yeah, it's pretty good. I'm glad that doesn't happen now to people like, for example, the president or billionaires. I'm glad billionaires don't also live in their own functionally isolated realities where they they have no real contact with the world and no one ever argues them with them or tells them their ideas are bad, and every moment of their lives is them getting exactly what they want at any given moment. That obviously does not cause them the kind of brain damage that all of the kings of France got before the Revolution of seventeen eighty nine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, I mean what I'm like, totally differ So don't have like CEOs of public companies like this.
Speaker 2: No, just like bench capitalist. This doesn't happen to every rich guy. Right, every rich guy doesn't have his own Versailles. You know that would be crazy. They wish it, almost wishes they'd all be insane. Anyway, let's read about the town in Texas he owns now? Anyway? Yeah, school or the school. Now. The one method that out of favor or distant nobles and wealthy business owners had of getting the King's attention outside of cutting through this Gordian out of palace etiquette, was to get a story true or libelous, to go viral among the popular media. I talk right, I talked post Yeah, they're posters. Yeah. As time went on, when more nobles, certain nobles start hosting, some of them host printing presses, others host basically bookstores for these libels. These books that are like unauthorized biographies of the king or his minister or his mistress. Right, and these are full sized books, but they're usually take it. They're cobbled together from day's worth of notes like taken at the Tree of Crackou and from reports sent on the sly By Versailles regulars. Right, people will compile these all into books that are like you know that guy, what's his name, the dude who's written like a couple of books about the inside of the Trump administration, Michael Wolf. Yes, that's he's doing labels right where some of what sent them's true, some of what's in them bullshit, nobody ever really knows. But they're these books that are meant to be slanderous and popular among the masses by giving you, like the gory details from inside in the lives of these people who are of all the power, right, and these are illegal to be sold in France, but certain nobles who have big properties in France will let people sell books or newsletters there and then the police can't raid them, right, because that's the Duke's house or whatever. Effectively, so the other major thing that I haven't talked about yet that is honestly maybe the number one way in which a lot of gossip gets out. And this is again it's effectively like we've talked about, how like the salons and stuff, these cafes where we will take their notes from you know, the morning newsmonger speeches. That's like Twitter and Facebook, the TikTok of the day, the songs popular songs. There's a couple of there's a dozen or more different melodies that people regularly just rewrite new lyrics for, And so everybody knows all these melodies, and on a daily basis new versions of the song. You'll hear someone singing it at the market, You'll start sing it. They'll go viral among the whole city, and a lot of gossip and news gets out this way. This is again effectively like the TikTok of its day. One explanation at the time, this is a contemporary writer talking about this kind of weird musical culture in Paris described it this way. A dastardly courtier puts them slanderous rumors into rhyming couplets, and by means of lowly servants, has then planted in market stalls and street stands. From the markets there passed on to artisans, who in turn relay them back to the nobleman who had composed them, and who, without losing a moment, take off for a meeting place in the Palace of Versailles and whisper to one another in a tone of consummate hypocrisy. Have you read them?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 2: They are They're circulating among the common people of Paris. Know this is not just song, but a lot of it does come in the form of like these rhyming little couplets. Right now. In Louis the fifteenth reign, the most popular of these songs, gossip songs, were about his mistresses, because he was the kind of king who was seen by his wife as little as possible, and by the mid seventeen hundreds this had reached a fever pitch of unpopularity. Again, anknown adulterer couldn't receive the sacrament, and when the king got seriously ill, which happened with some regularity given how disease spread at Versailles, he would have to dismiss his mistress in order to take communion. Right this happened in seventeen forty four, and when it's generally accepted, you dismiss your mistress, then you're good with God again. You can go to heaven if you die. But if you dismiss her and you get better, you're not supposed to take her back. Right at most, you're supposed to find a new mistress. But Louis the fifteenth got really attached to his mistresses, and so he takes this lady back, and that scandalizes the people, and it pisses off the church. And the big part of why people are pissed about this is that they see this as having a major impact on public health, because it's this very fun belief. At the time, it was widely believed that when he was made the king, the king gained the magical power that was known as the royal touch, right, And so a king, by touching you could cure what was called the king's disease, which was scrofula. Now scrofula is a kind of tuberculosis, right, and it's a kind of thing that spreads a lot in society where people don't wash their fucking hands. And the understanding is that when the king ascends, he gets the power to cure scrofula by touching people, but he loses it if God's not happy with him, right. And the practical issue here is that once a year at Eastern mass the king would go to Paris and a huge all of everyone with scrofula would line up and he would touch them all, right, And obviously this presents there's some danger of the king getting sick from this, right, But this also provides them with a degree of safety because every year a huge number of like the poor people in Paris make direct contact with the king in a way where they see him as saving them. Can you think of how that protect the king from the mob?
Speaker 3: Right, regardless whether they're actually here healed of their scropula or whatever, like.
Speaker 2: That matters less than everyone sees the king is a part of our public health system. And also he is coming on he helps me directly. I'm not going to murder the king, you know, why would I do that? Right? But Louis the fifteenth loses this power, and so he stops going to these eastern masses and touching people, and it cuts off a very important connection between the crowned line and the masses in Paris. Right, this is going to contribute to revolutionary conditions. Again, all these are just like pieces of why this happens. But the fact that the king is under Louis the fifteenth, what contact the king? You know, Louis the fourteenth already had reduced significantly. By moving out of pair Ris, the King's contact with regular people. Louis the fifteenth cuts off one of the last vestiges of that because he won't stop fucking his mistresses and he gets canceled by the church. Another issue is that the church threatens to take away because he won't stop fucking his mistresses. The church threatens to take away the Jubilee in seventeen fifty every twenty five years, the church would forgive everyone in France's sins, right, so you don't have to pay, You don't have to It's like a big deal, right, and the king of it. They don't ultimately go through with this. The church, the king is able to lean on them, but for a long time, everyone thinks that the King has cost them the Jubilee because he can't keep his dick in his pants. And that makes them very angry, right right, Like this isn't just them being judgmental. They are seeing significant public health costs. That's how we're going to hell. People are gonna go to hell over here, man, what the fuck? And the popular media goes nuts about this rumor. As Robert Darton writes, one novelist published a letter from a correspondent who vilified Louis for depriving his people of the jubilee. It is monstrous that all of French should be deprived of it because the king, by his own fault, is not in a state of to receive this grace. The general resentment was expressed by some of the crudest poems Lewis the Badly Loved, make your Jubilee, give up your whoreor Madame le pompadour and give us bread. Oh this is one of those songs, right, it sounds better in the original French, but not when I say it. Yeah, no, and you don't have the French. I don't have the French gene. No, but yeah, this is like popular songs. Honestly, they're like, yeah, I describe it as TikTok. You might even describe it as like punk rock in the eighties, right, these like songs people are singing about this kind of criticizing power.
Speaker 3: It is very culturally, very cool that there's like this weird like cottage journalism industry and this weird.
Speaker 2: Like this this trash shit. Yeah, this is It is interesting that you can almost look at this as like a common point of origin for like journalism, hip hop, punk rock, and TikTok. Right, Yeah, fucking the king and Versailles not being able to keep his dick in his pants. Yeah, yeah, So what we see throughout Louis the fifteenth reign is a king whose decisions, and some of his decisions are good, constantly drive a wedge between him and everyone outside of Versailles because of the media ecosystem, which at this point has grown to be entirely like predicated on critiquing the king and his nobles. Right, and to everyone's surprise, what's happened here is without anyone meaning for this to evolve this way, This emergent media ecosystem has created a check on the king's absolute power. As a Parisian comedian Nicholas Chamfort said, France is quote an absolute monarchy tempered by songs.
Speaker 3: That is actually that is actually very love fucking awesome here and the controlling animal house.
Speaker 2: Yeah over here is people making up means songs about him like.
Speaker 3: That's what in fact, that he was too horny. I guess he was right the level horny.
Speaker 2: Kendrick's like obliquely ship talking Trump through his presentation at the super Bowl, Right, It's in some ways it hasn't changed. It's just always been understood that if you are good enough at music, no dictator will be brave enough to kill you. Yeah, this is why Billy Joel was allowed to go to the USSR. You know the power of the piano man.
Speaker 3: And why Stephen Sgal is fine as well.
Speaker 2: Is right, is right? Is very safe? Uh everywhere music is great music. When he went to war uh Louis the fifteenth and seventh teen forty alongside the Austrians against an alliance of British people, Hessians, Hanovarians and the hated Dutch, there was a vicious battle near the village of Lawfeld. In real terms, it was a tactical victory for France. They take the village, but either a strategic defeat or at best to draw because they lose so many men taking this town they can't continue the offensive that they had intended in support of the Austrians. That said, they do take the town, so the king declares it a victory. But the newspapers, and again all of the newspapers that get into France are printed in Amsterdam, who are fighting against the king. The King sends back his messengers to declare victory in Paris. The newspapers that arrive at the same time all say France lost the battle. Right police spies informed the government. Hey, most of the media says, we actually lost this, and it's kind of generating unrest. An effort gets made, this distribute counter propaganda. But it's like when the government tries to make tiktoks, right, nobody like that. Like the police aren't good at making songs.
Speaker 7: People want to sing, you know, I wonder what the police songs were like. No, they must have sucked as they did not slap. It was literally the police. This is this is, this is where Sting gets his start. Very horny guy as well, so very horny man as well.
Speaker 2: He would have fit in. So Now by this point, again, this this modern ecosystem had largely a lot of it had developed as a way to keep abreast with palace gossip. But at this point it pivots, you know, and it pivots to This is almost the first time where you see something like a modern ecosystem obsessing over a major world war in media res right in the same way people did about like the Gulf War or or you know, more recently the expanded judging the government well and judging the government for it. The government has this is a very rare thing and it's really kind of what. I don't know if it's the first time this has happened, but I don't know that it's ever happened before on this scale, where the absolute monarchy completely loses control of the information coming out of a conflict on foreign soil. Right, that's a big deal. And this war, the War of Austrian Succession, it's one of a number of wars that that some historians will argue should be counted as the first real World War. I don't care to get into that argument, but this is a massive conflict, right right, And the fact that the government of France has completely lost control due to the independent media is incredibly noteworthy. I want to quote again from that book. Reports of the overseas warfare appeared, and the gazettes and the Cafe Sophisticates discussed them, but most Parisians, if they followed foreign affairs at all, concentrated on the fighting nearby and the low countries where Martial de Sachs scored his victories. They were appalled. Therefore, as soon as they learned about the preliminaries to the peace, to discover that Louis the fifteenth had agreed to return everything France had won at such expense and suffering. In exchange, he received virtually nothing he'd got back Louisbourg, a fortress on the Cape Breton Island, while he surrendered Madras, a greater prize to the British. To ordinary Parisians with an uncertain grasp of geography, the global readjustment and the balance of power, insofar as they were aware of it, mattered less than the sacrifice of the fortresses in Flanders. Most Parisians, moreover, experienced the war as hardship inflicted on their daily lives in the form of increased taxes, scarcer goods, and higher prices. The Dixim, a special tax levied since seventeen forty one to support the war, fell on virtually all revenue, although the clergy negotiated an exemption. Salaries were exempt, so laborers did not suffer directly. But the Dixem was a bitter blow to rentiers, merchants, artisans and shopkeepers. So there's both this this thing that in an earlier era the king would have been able to spend as we've got a piece. We forced a piece on them after all these victories, and that's kind of what I would have gotten out Instead, there's all this reporting on everything that France is giving up in the piece because the Dutch have a vested interest in that information getting out to the people of France because it and it's being printed over too, yes, and it's being printed over there too, and so people gain a real understanding of the fact that oh, no, no, we're being lied to about this war that has fucked up my life. You know, I'm paying a lot more in taxes because of this, and we just gave everything up what my son died. You know.
Speaker 3: It's two very different ecosystems, media ecosystems as well, because you've got the internal palace intrigue quite literally, yeah, which is controlling the nobles with this weird system of rules sotalia.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then but they've shown no interest for actually controlling the real problem, like the real the independent media that's bucking the rosses off.
Speaker 2: No, because like the king is, he's monitoring everyone's male right. When they send out gossip, they have to be very secret about it. People get punished for this. So inside the palace it's as close to a totalitarian state as it can be. And then in Paris it's like a very free media environment. Even though this is all technically illegal, everything is getting out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's probably because there's so much shit that they do with inviside that they can't control it at this point.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, and they don't. They're not really as aware because they have no connection to Paris really, right, the most of the nobility and certainly not the king. So the dic same pisses off a lot of people in the bourgeoisie. There's another tax that just everyone has to pay, which is kind of Louis the fifteenth. He was because the nobles were subject to it too, so you could see it as him trying to modernize and make things fairer. But it just creates more anger and unrest because it's just another tax. He also puts through tariffs on consumer goods. Prices for the necessities of life start to surge to an unsustainable level. There are bread riots, you know, people are starving. In order to try and mitigate this. When the war finally ends, the king orders two days of celebration and the crown provides a feast like food and wine all you can eat for two days for the little people of Paris. Right, So there's a massive party and this is the kind of thing in the past that would have got everybody back to being fans of the king, right, but people know everything that went on behind the scenes, and so for the first time, when the king goes through Paris on like his victory march, people don't during this massive party where they're all getting free food and booze, no one shouts vive le roi. Nobody shouts like long live the King right right, It's like commoners refuse to do this, and popular gossip notes that women in the market start arguing, like making fun of each other by saying, you are as stupid as the peace right. It's become this rule. It's a calamity for them for the crown. A dozen people are also crushed to death during a fireworks display due to a bottleneck in the streets, and this is reported on massively right. People talk about this all that like constantly. It is like a massive topic of discussion in the media, and every mistake, every attendant death, and all of the suffering of the masses, every bad thing that happens adds to the crush of a hostile papers, books and songs attacking the regime, and rather than trying to deal with any of this or trying to directly engage with the people. Louis the fifteenth largely responds to a hostile public by drawing inwards and retreating to Versailles. After the failed celebrations of seventeen forty eight, the king avoids the capital. In seventeen forty nine and seventeen fifty he doesn't go there at all. Rumors spread through songs, through small papers and newsmongers that he fears sparking a riot, and so people really start talking for the first time, is the case scared of the mob? Do we maybe as a group of angry people in Paris have power to threaten the monarchy? This is when people really start talking about that. You know, this is an important step on the road to seventeen eighty nine, right, Yeah, in mid seventeen, Yeah.
Speaker 3: They just lost control of everything they did. They they didn't really, Yeah.
Speaker 2: They're starting to again. They get another forty years before this all falls, right, But these are important idea If this marinating isn't brilliant, Yes, it takes a while for this to marinate, and this is part of like what leads things to collapse. In mid seventeen forty nine, a major government minister is brought down by a song. The victim is Compte de Moripas, who was the king's most powerful minister. He's a close friend to the king and he is like his basically his number one advisor, right, And one day the king retires, you know, he doesn't always like to be surrounded the crowd, so he goes to his royal bedchambers with his mistress, Madame de Pompadour, and her cousin Madame de'estrade and the Comte de morrepass And I think they're all kind of fucking right, Like I don't know, yeah, or at least they're both fucking at the same time. Over the course of the night, Madame Pompadour hands out wyatt white hyacinths as gifts, and this private moment hits the streets of Paris days later, set to the tune of a popular love song by your Noble and free manner Iris. You enchant our hearts on our path. You strew flowers, but they are white flowers, And that doesn't seem super scandalous, right It is, though, because the word for flower is very similar to a colloquial term for vaginal discharge. And what this song is saying is that the King's mistress spread VD and this priort private moment in the royal chambers, she got that. That's what the white flowers are like, white vaginal this charge. Right, It's it's like she's she had an STD and she spread it to the king in Moropaus. Right, that's kind of what the song is a legend. I don't know, I don't think that's actually what happened, because that's what the song is like, yeah, go through well, and here's the big thing. There are four people in the room when this happens, right, And that was what I was thinking, like, write this, well, it's Moropas, right, is the compt de Maropaus? Because obviously the King's mistress isn't gonna lake this. Her cousin's unlikely to sure shit, not the king, right. And what makes this even more obvious is that Moropaus is a famous and beloved popular songwriter, and he had four years used music to launder gossip and attacks on his enemies at Versailles into Paris, and in fact, a lot of the a lot of what we have from this period from this aspect of culture. These like popular political like like slander songs are ones that Maropaus wrote. Forty five volumes of his lyrics survived to this day.
Speaker 3: Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: So this guy was prolific, right again, Yeah, and so when this thing that four people are for leaks out in song form, everyone immediately know like, this has to be you, right, Marapas he had tried to spread this verse to damage the king's mistress because he was closer to the queen. Right, This whole thing had been I want to like separate her from the king. But this blows up because he's very sloppy about how he does it, and he tries to blame the whole debacle on Marshall Richelieu, who's one of his rivals. But Richelieu figures out what's going on and tells the king. As Darton writes, this version of Marpas's fall owed a great deal to the rumor mill of the court and the baroque character of politics in Versailles. Parisians, who had little contact with that alien world, could not be certain about what lay behind Maropas's fall, but they knew that songs precipitated it, and that the result was a realignment of power, and so kind of by this period, you know, seventeen forty nine, you've got the king has gotten scared out of Paris by the mob, and now people have realized that like these songs, these like popular this popular media has the ability to uproot and force government ministers out of their office. Right in addition to this, you've created this permanent because of how negative a lot of this media is, this really permanent breach between the crown and the people. In seventeen fifty one, the King's attempts a return to Paris. He goes to a mass at Notre Dame and as he rides in the crowd around him maintains near total silence, an experience so upsetting that Louis the fifteenth has a road built so he can avoid Paris in the future when traveling to his various properties. And by this point seventeen fifty one, the roth that's going to lead to the revolution is probably terminal. Right, there's almost certainly no because this system that the next king is going to come up in, that is going to continue governing, is like it can't do anything but make this system worse. By its nature, it feeds this media ecosystem that is so toxic to the crown. By its nature, it creates a ruling class who has no contact or understanding with regular people and who will constantly fuck them over and over order to pay and afford keeping their fancy party house going. Right, all of this, all of this has happened by seventeen fifty one.
Speaker 3: No, it's people everything about it, and they know people well, they constantly yes, and what they know about it is just told in the most scandalous, ridiculous way.
Speaker 2: Very a lot of it's yeah, yeah, a lot of it's also told in catchy songs. It's cold and catchy songs. They're gonna be catchy songs about like Marie Antoinette being a spy for her home in Austria and she's not. There's a lot of valid critiques of Marie Antoinette, but she like legitimately did not do any of the things her family wanted her to do in turn of like influencing France to be pro Austria. Like they were constantly pissed at her, but it didn't matter in terms of her unpopularity because the mob was convinced and the popular media was convinced that she was effectively a spy. Right, yeah, well, probably.
Speaker 3: Good for this one, but not good for now when good things.
Speaker 2: Happen, yeah, you know, it's it's we'll see again. This all moved. The media moved pretty fast in Paris of this day, but not as fast as it works today. And I guess if I have a hopeful thing in terms of you know, these v are are modern day people attempting to make an aristocracy or you know, honestly trying to make a monarchy with themselves as the Crat's what Curtis Yarvin and the like one. They want to be nobles in this new hereditary order under CEO kings, and things move faster now, and the same dynamics that caused every thing to fall apart for the people running Versailles are human dynamics. And these people, I think are convinced that they can force that out of us by taking control of social media, you know, by breeding it out of people or whatever. I don't think that they can.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: In fact, the very dynamics discussed in this these episodes is kind of suggesting why they can't, because people will just eventually go what the fuck?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, there's there's more to talk about. We may do you know soon episodes on you know, kind of the end of this process and what happens with Marie Antoinette and her husband. Louis the sixteenth is also interesting. They're just not really bastards in the same way that Louis the fifteenth and fourteenth are right, right, Like, they make a lot of mistakes, and they do do some like they do do bad things right like every king and queen does. But these guys are why the system had pissed people off so much that those two needed to lose their heads, right. The terror is largely fueled by the ship that had by the ship that Louis the fourteenth creates at Versailles, and that Louis the fifteenth perpetuates, right Like, that's all of that anger gets built up as a result of that period of time, and you know that's cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seems like it ended well for everyone involved.
Speaker 2: It doesn't it ends great for everyone. Louis the fourteenth, how do he collp it just disaus uh oh Louis, No, he gets some he gets a small box. Oh okay, yeah, he gets a small box. He has to send away his mistress, but he's like in his seventies. No, yeah, he also reigns a crazy lung. He reigns for decades. Again, this whole period like is like there's more than a century of Versailles, even though there's only like three kings, right, so it lasts a while. It just isn't you know by I think by probably like seventeen forty nine to seventeen fifty one, somewhere around then. I think the revolution was inevitable. There was all There was probably no way just functionally because I don't think Versailles, I think Versite. Among other things, the fact that it was so ossified by this point it was incapable of changing. Right, how do you feel any of reform things. You're spending all your time worrying about who's holding your shirt as the kids, You have very little time to fix the way the government works, right Yeah, yeah, the Napkin situation is really bogging you down by this point. And again, all of this was around how the government was run too. Yeah, very good, exactly, Jesus, yep, it's great.
Speaker 3: Christ three times on this show now, and every time you find a new freak, oh series of freaks.
Speaker 2: The freak Collection because Duo of Freaks. That's that's the show.
Speaker 1: That's the podcasta Ed, you have a podcast, I do it.
Speaker 3: It's called Better Offline. Got a betrofline dot com? Emailing me easy at better better off line dot com. If you hate me or love me, ideally the latter. And if you want to set up a bizarre series of rules that I will make you live by, go to our reddit, which is our slash bet off line. We're already working on a Vasai like system there.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, so I check that out. You know, when finally when he when he lives, When when Ed lives completely surrounded by the nobility of France, that's when podcasts and we'll finally reach its apex oh wait.
Speaker 1: Behind the Bastards is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 4: Behind the Bastards you're now available on YouTube, new episodes every Wednesday and Friday. Subscribe to our channel YouTube dot com slash at Behind the Bastards