Speaker 1: It is Thursday, December nineteenth. This is Jaguars Happy Hours and now Santa's lesser known tenth Reindeer, Kevin J. P.
Speaker 2: Checkrick, Welcome in. It is Jaguars Happy Hour. It is Week sixteen. It is Thursday. We've got a busy two hours ahead here on Jaguars Radio. First, it's Jaguars Happy Hour. It's Week sixteen. We'll get to the game that America has been waiting for, the Jaguars and the Raiders coming up from Allegiance Stadium to four to twenty five Eastern kickoff time. Jaguars youth getting some playing time, and some significant numbers could be in the cards for Brian Thomas Junior with a strong outing this week. Baptist Health injury report, we'll get that to you when it comes down the line. And the Doug Peterson Show at five o'clock on the Jaguars Radio Network, we'll have the head coach in studio with us. We'll get his thoughts on the week that was, coming off the loss to the Jets and looking ahead to the Las Vegas Raiders on holiday weekend, the weekend before Christmas, long trip out to Vegas coming up. We're on tentinexl AM ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube, JP Shadwick with Jeff Logoman, Good afternoons, Hey on JP. I'm well, I'm better than the Jags are right now. Unfortunately it's three to eleven. Another loss last week, one score game, blown coverages.
Speaker 3: That's what I was worried about in that game, and I think we actually talked about it here and that look, you got a Tennessee football team that couldn't take advantage of the mistakes that you had. And then we had said that if you make those same mistakes against Aaron Rodgers, he's gonna expose you. And that's exactly what happened. I mean, the defense loses a game again. I mean that's because they're just they're not clean. They're not assignment clean. And if you can't be assignment clean, it's hard to win football game.
Speaker 2: They were pretty good for like, you know, fifty minutes of the game, the first fifty, it was the final ten last time I checked, the game goes for sixty minutes. Not good. But that's the story of this season. Missed opportunities and key moments, mainly on defense. A lot of times on offense too. They can they can't get things done in a big moment late sometimes this year. But that's just the story of the Jags team this season.
Speaker 3: Well, and look had a chance to do something there at the end of the ball game, and you throw an interception on a down and distance that did not require you to force the ball into a situation that the ball never should have been forced into, you know, So, I mean I kind of blame the defense, but then again I blame the offense as well, and I also blame special team. Special teams gave up a fake punt that have kept the drive alive for the New York Jets early in the ballgame that led directly to a touchdown and close, really close to stopping that play from happening. But you had just a little bit too tight of an alignment on the outside and not a whole lot of awareness by anybody else. Chadmuoma is the outside guy, got a little tight, gets reached, almost makes the tackle, but almost doesn't count unless you're playing horseshoes.
Speaker 2: That's about it. Yeah, it's the only thing that I don't ever want to play. The second one I don't either. I'm not really there's a fake punt right there and watch it on Jaguars dot Com. Pretty amazing hurdle there at the end of the game, and Chad MoMA almost has them. And I mean, this is the kind of thing though that you've got to be aware of. And I think they were, because I'm Jaguars probably had a couple fakes under there built as well, or they have probably one in playbostueks just in case they see them. Probably, but I would bet that in a game like that, because it's against the Jets, it's home game, you're eliminating from the playoffs, why not have a couple maybe a couple punt fakes, maybe a fake field goal, maybe some kind of trick punt return or.
Speaker 3: I mean just something. I mean, you know, look, all bets are off. Your mathematically eliminated.
Speaker 2: What's there to lose. You can't surprise onside kick anymore? Another game, right, yeah, I mean there's only three games left to lose, so I mean, you lose another game. Okay, well you lost another game, so we'll see what happens with that. Moving ahead, of course, Hey, the Jaguars lost another one. They've got three to go, and and this is the challenge of this late in the season that's like this, It's the weekend before Christmas. It's a West coast road trip to the Pacific time zone in Las Vegas. A lot of distractions. Did you say Las Vegas? Is that not a distraction right there? It could be for some right, So you got to make sure that's not a distraction. Families are coming into town. You got to have the blackout curtains that have that like sound dampening material maybe when you're stay there. I don't know, Yeah, I don't know. But everything's going on outside of football around the football team starting this weekend with families coming in. The Jags are home next week after Christmas. There will be a lot of people pulling on players' time and how as a coach and as a staff do you make sure everybody maintains maintains their focus. So we've seen games like this logs late in seasons. Twenty seventeen comes to mind. Jaguars a clinch, they go to San Francisco the weekend before Christmas, get blown out.
Speaker 3: Well, you've just described something that I mean, every person on the planet is going through around the Christmas holidays, right, I mean Look, it's it's real and it's nothing unique to players, you know. So look, people are able to stay focused on their work and job, and why can't players do that? The one difference is is that football players have a little different physical requirement to their job. So you need to make sure that you take care of the body, get the proper risk, the proper diet.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Holiday cookies and milk like I do when we just had some in studio early.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, I know. They're really good though. It's very easy to eat holiday cookies. I mean, put them in front of it. Give me a good holiday sugar cookie or one of Tammy's oatmeal raisin cookies or one of my wife's Miss Jewel Hunter cookie recipe. Oh my goodness, I don't even need.
Speaker 2: To have them in those shapes, you know, like a bell or a star or a Christmas tree, in any form you want.
Speaker 3: I don't need the extra sugar on top. Just give me a straight good cookie.
Speaker 2: But you got to get these guys to power through that, and there's three games to go and stay somehow. It's football man Breton Strain said, you know they're football players. It's what they do. You know, they play ball. They love ball.
Speaker 3: Look, I think this team's for the most part is I don't want to say they've played smart, but I mean, for the most part, they played hard. There are certain games and I didn't think that the effort was very good. I didn't think the game against Detroit was very good. Game against Buffalo was very good. Didn't think the effort against Chicago.
Speaker 2: Was very good. The home opener wasn't great. But lately I think that they've been playing pretty hard, and I give them credit because it's not easy to play hard at this juncture of the season, and also when you're eliminated from it all ladies, join us at EverBank Stadium Sunday, December twenty ninth, ten am to twelve pm for the lively and fun Field Glitz and Blitz Brunch. Enjoyed delicious pastries, refreshing Mimosa's, and a special appearance by The Roar and a Jags legend. Grab your tickets out Jaguars dot Com Slash. Glitz and the Blitz be a great stocking stuffer for a significant other things. Yeah, you're trying to look at you say. Second, did you say Bloody Mary's or just Mimos? Mimosas they might have Bloody Mary's too. I don't. I didn't. I don't write them. I just read them, so who knows. Kind of like Bloody Mary's way. We've had this conversation, so we have it said. You brought it up again, so I'm bringing it up again as well. So you're not gonna go. I told him last week, give me a bacon stick in a bloody right, the ones that's like a straw. We did have this conversation last week. I knew it was the show had to be forgetting. You forgot for a minute, didn't you. It took me a second.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 2: I've talked about this with somebody. The bacon straw in this seat last week? All right? Mac Jones last week two touchdowns as a starter for the first time for the Jaguars. It was better two picks though or whatever.
Speaker 3: He was better how well, first of all, he he didn't change the play and keep the ball away from Brian Thomas Junior and stick with the play and make sure you throw it to Brian Thomas Junior. He did a good job of that. I think they did a very good job of that. Just as an offense, they got Brian Thomas. I think it was on the fourth play of the game offensively anyway, and then again on the sixth he had a key third down conversion. Very surprised about how the Jets treated him. They didn't treat him like he was a special player and gets Aft Gardner onto him until kind of later in the ball game when it was a little bit.
Speaker 2: Too late as far as that was concerned. But I thought Mac did a good job of getting the ball to him. Uh, you know, he's still got some things that he's got to get better at. Like the one thing that he did I was scratching my head about. He took a sack and he goes to the sideline and he's just standing there and he's in bounds. He literally could have gotten smoked legally because he was a ball carrier at that time. And when he when he runs out to the side and he just stands there, it's like, dude, what are you doing? And and he's looking at the defensive lineman like wait a minute. They're talking back and forth like and Kilos said, say, hey, don hey, the guy, dumb guy, he just gave us a sack. That's not what you were gonna say I was gonna say, dumb dunk. That's not what you're gonna say, but you can't do that.
Speaker 3: And then Doug Peterson, i think after the game or Monday, said well, it didn't hurt us anything.
Speaker 2: Well, sure it did. Yeah, it did because it moved you back and it took you out of an easier opportunity I putting it in the end zone, you know. So, oh, yes it hurt. But yeah, very confused on that play, you know. And when he said it didn't hur him, I'm sure he meant, well, we still got a field goal out of that three point but look, that was a second down play, you know, a third down instead of taking a loss of basically five or six yards. You know, you're within much easier distance. It's much harder on a defense to defend from five yards away as opposed to ten or eleven yards away. So do Yeah, that was a very odd decision that the first interception that he threw was essentially equal to a punt, which from that standpoint, okay, didn't cast it well, but if he throws the ball more to the outside, gives this guy an opportunity.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, maybe your guy makes a play or you get a PI or you get a PI or you know whatever. But and if the guy makes the interception on a good play, okay, good play, but don't allow him to make a good play when you throw the ball more towards the middle where you shouldn't throw it. And then the interception late in the ball game. Again, it was it was a very short yardage situation to where just dump it into the middle, move the chains and let's line up and play another down instead of throwing the ball into cover three, which that's the design of the play they had on that particular side, was for against cover two, and they you know, look, Sauce Gardner didn't bite on it. One wasn't one bit. He didn't have to because he was a deep third player and Mac read that one wrong. And you know, but the good thing is he's getting better. And yeah, look we all want him to get better. Number one, he's a he's a local.
Speaker 2: Guy, you know, raised here, bulls kid, all that stuff. But look, the better he plays, the bigger the contract he gets somewhere else, the better the compensatory pick for the Jaguars especially good absolutely, yeah, you play better these three games down the stretch. You never know in the offseason what could happen.
Speaker 3: Look, well, first of all, you play better for the team. Number one, you help everybody else around you better, which allows them to make more money for guys that have contracts coming up. Okay, and that's, by the way, that's pretty important. And then again, also he gets a better contract, which gives you a better compensatory pick and return, because look, you gave something up for him in that trade, and the whole purpose of that, for the most part, was to get something on the back end return.
Speaker 2: He doesn't lack for confidence on the field, I'll say that. And energy, I guess is kind of energy. Yeah. Sure, but he's having fun out there, and I appreciate that part of it. I just want him to play better, you know, play better his offensive line. And here's the reality. Offensive line has been playing good. I mean, offensive line's given him a chance running games, giving them a chance. Yeah last week it did. Yeah, not had been consistent, but look, I mean for the last couple of weeks, has been pretty good, you know, I mean Tennessee, Uh, okay, the Houston game, I thought it was pretty good against Houston, you know, after they Trevor and Al Shaier takes him out of the ball game. The Jaguars leaned on the running game, and the running game was good. I think since that point they have played very well up front and Walker Little's played well. Offensive line has settled down, even Anton Harrison has increased the level of his play to where he's playing better. So they're giving him a chance up front. And got some pretty good wide receivers because you know, even though you've got some guys that are on injured reserve, the reality is Parker Washington's a good player. Brian Thomas junior exceptional player, Brenton Strange taking the place of Evan Ingram. He's pretty damn good. So far, so good, pretty damn good. Some more. But yes, I agree, you know, so keep playing. I mean, even though it's a it's a depleted opportunity somewhat because of some of the guys you lost. Look, I mean, you got you got some good players out there. Now, come on, let's come back in a moment and take a look at the Las Vegas Raiders and a battle of rookie catchers that are one and two in the league in yardage this year as rookies. This is the big sale of the game or the cell. Yes, cell, I know, and when we come back.
Speaker 3: Yes, there's a little thing that the league puts out and we want to kind of compare logo graphics to meat and potatoes storyline.
Speaker 2: That'll bring him in logs that's coming back. It's to excel AM ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com and Jaguars YouTube. This is Jaguars Happy Hour. Great player, good young player.
Speaker 5: Just his ability to separate, get open obviously, you know, using him the right way and just making place for him, you know, and he's a he's a dynamic tight.
Speaker 2: End, said coach Doug Peterson earlier this week discussing brock Bowers, the rookie tight end for the Las Vegas Raiders. Welcome back. It is Jaguars Happy Hour on tenon XL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com and Jaguars YouTube.
Speaker 4: J P.
Speaker 2: Shadwick with Jeff Logman. We're at the Hyundai studios at the Miller Electric Center ahead of Week sixteen the Jaguars and the Raiders, and brock Bowers is the leading receiver for the Las Vegas Raiders and the leading rookie receiver in all of the NFL receptions wise, receiving yards and receptions wise, Brock Bowers nine hundred and sixty eight receiving yards, most of any rookie in the NFL this year. Of course, Brian Thomas Jr. At nine p fifty six is right there on his heels, and that will be the selling point of this game.
Speaker 3: And they're really good players, and they're both fun watch, and both of them are a little shy. I have a thousand yards. I would expect in this game that the both of them willy clips at Bowers thirty two yards needed. Brian Thomas Junior he needs forty four. For these guys hit a thousand, and Bowers is going for a much bigger goal, which is surpassing Mike Dicka's record that still stands for a rookie tight end and receiving yards, which is crazy to think it's lasted that.
Speaker 2: Long nineteen sixty one. Mike Dicka one thousand and seventy six receiving yards. I thought he was a coach for the Bears. I didn't know he was a player. Okay, yeah, yess, he certainly was for a long time. Bowers still has to pass Kyle Pitts of Atlanta in twenty twenty one also had one thy twenty six yards. We'll pass that up. That should be and it's like a big game, a little over one hundred yards away from Mike Dicka. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The other thing too, the reality is is that his ninety catches that he has broke the rookie receiving rookie tight end receptions record. The tight end receptions record in a season is held by Zach Ertz, and he had one hundred and sixteen in a season. I remember Evan Ingram was like two catches away from him. Yes, And and also Bowers is chasing the rookie receptions record period which Pukkua had that last year and he had one hundred and five. So Bowers would need fifteen sixteen to break that in the final three games, which I hope that doesn't happen on Sunday. Now I'm just saying, is that. Look, if I'm a quarterback for the Raiders, I'm throwing a ball to Brock Bowers a lot.
Speaker 2: How do you cover him? If you're this Jags defense, you can plan all you want, you got to go execute it. We know they haven't done that a lot in big moments they've had big plays and missed assignments. How do you cover brock Bowers? Well, it takes everybody.
Speaker 3: I mean you're going to have safety unhimate times, a linebacker onoma times. You're going to be doubling him bracket. Sometimes it's a zone, and so you just have to be aware of where he is if you're playing in his own But yeah, I mean he's a good football player. You know, who would you like to match up with him? I mean, I don't know. I mean, would you rather have Devin Lloyd, Antonio Johnson, Foyer Louigan who I mean, if you're covering a man, who.
Speaker 2: Were you choosing? He's big too, That's the other thing.
Speaker 3: He's got sixty pounds bout the size of Evan, Yeah, but he little a little taller.
Speaker 2: Maybe Evan's probably six to three, Yeah, you know Brock bar six four. I mean, so just a little different in height, you know, with the height, I mean Antonio Johnson's big safety, right, I mean it's that's that's not an easy decision. Do you put two guys on him? Now? You try? I mean you'd like to write what are the other options for the Vegas that would scary. But here's the thing about doubling a tight end. Seriously, I mean, if you're double on a tight end, I mean, is he is he an explosive play waiting to happen? You know what I mean? I mean, is he is he gaining seventeen yards of catch? And is he a threat to go to the distance with the speed? I mean most tight ends are not that well. If he's open for fifteen yards, so wide open, then probably he will see that.
Speaker 3: Would I would hope that he's not going to have that kind of day. I mean, look at his yards per catch ten point eight.
Speaker 2: It's enough to move the sticks. He's better than Kelsey. Kelsey's got his career low. Yeah, he's not doing sue this year. It's been enough been uh you know, he's been traveling the world, you know, on the concerts and stuff. It was his lowest last year until the playoffs and then he turned it on. He will turn it on again. He's still a good football players.
Speaker 3: Even though a lot of people are kind of criticizing him because he has the lowest yards per catch in his career. He's still catching a lot of balls and he's still factor. And oh, by the way, Kansas City is still really good because of him.
Speaker 2: That's certainly part of it, no doubt about that. Hey, what about the other side of things here, this Raiders defense. No Max Crosby, he's done for the year. He's the best player on the team overall, big loss, So he's done. Kaylon chase On is out there. A couple of sacks over the last three weeks and a tackle for loss I think in four straight games. Now for Kaylevon getting an opportunity at least to play a little more hard, playing hard.
Speaker 3: I mean he's the top end talent. No, he's a veteran player that's been around the block a little bit. It's got a little bit of athleticism, and he's got an opportunity. But I can tell you this, he's no Max Crossbeam. Max Crosby such a special player, and I think he's got an ankle issue that he is scheduled to have or did have surgery on.
Speaker 2: Player that has a motor to No. He never leaves the field, impressive every staff he plays. And I'm a big fan of watching Max Crosby play the game. Love love watching him. Sad to see him not available. You look, even though a lot of people so, oh, well, that's good for the Jaguars. Yeah, but also, man, that's good for watching he's a great player. I mean, when you get to see great players play, I mean, even if it's on the other side of the field, it's it's awesome. It's what you.
Speaker 3: Play the game for is compete against the best players, the great players, and you want to beat them at their best. And unfortunately him not being out there keeps them from being at their best. But that's one of the reasons why kylebon Chazon has gott an opportunity. The guy that I am kind of surprised that is not playing better for the Raiders. I would have missed this pick. Tyree Wilson from Texas Tech. I really liked him coming out, thought he was big and strong and kind of freakishly athletic, and watching him out there on the field, he's he's just a guy. So for whatever reason, he hasn't panned out. And they don't really have anybody else. I mean, the defensive tackles are just kind of eh, so the.
Speaker 2: Jacks should be able to run well. The one thing I will say is that the Raiders just play hard. They play hard.
Speaker 3: The Falcons were able to do a pretty good job on the ground against them. Falcons ran for one hundred and sixty eight yards, but they stayed committed because Kirk Cousins was so bad, so bad, and they were kind of sleepwalking.
Speaker 2: They couldn't put them away and Cousins was bad, and like you know, even with all these block kicks that the Falcons had in the game against them, they couldn't break away. How about the Raiders getting Kirk Cousins put to the bench right and probably moving on to another team. They passed for ninety three yards in that game. Kirk Cousins dead. It's a lot of money for ninety three yards. That's not so good. Now they're not paying it, you know.
Speaker 3: The Falcons are paying a bunch of money, guaranteed money. So it's to Michael Pennox era in Atlanta.
Speaker 2: So the Raiders did that to them, and they had two shots of the end zone to the end Hail Mary's at the end of the game. Well kept playing.
Speaker 3: Look the Raiders defense, they play hard. The one thing about that football team is that they've got a they've got a ways to go to build that roster, to build that team, and they don't have a quarterback by the way. Okay, they started the year out with Gardner Minshew. Okay, and if you think Gardner Minshew is going to be your starting quarterback and you think you're going to have success with him, you've made a huge mistake. And I think it was just a stop gap situation where they could bring him in knowing that they're going to have to find a quarterback in the future. And Minshew got hurt, which it's not like he was playing stellar football while he was in there. Aidan O'Connell is now kind of the guy that's expected to maybe start this week. This past week it was not. It was the former Atlanta Falcon cast off Desmond Ritter. And they three quarterbacks on the roster right now. Since Minshew's on IR, the third string quarterbacks has been that. This past game, he was actually the number two. Jacksonville's very own Carter Bradley kid Providence School.
Speaker 2: Absolutely didn't get out there yet. I thought he was gonna get in there. I was hoping he was going to get a little little playtime. Yeah, of course, in the Raiders are right there right now. I think they're currently second in the draft order, but in projected strength to schedule, they're number one in the draft order depending on where you're looking this year. So I saw I'm on the Giants right They're back and forth depending on what service you kind of look at. Officially their number two right now without the games being played. But there's all these signs tanked for scheduor Sanders and all this stuff. That's what we saw on Monday night at least, right, So that's what the fans in Vegas are thinking about. And then let's see the Jaguars at number four. We're looking at the chart right now, Raiders are at one or two, Giants are right there with them, New England at three, Jacksonville at four. It's not so good that it is not so good. So who would have thunk? Not me? It is what it is. It is bad. So, but looking forward to Vegas, not from the standpoint of a lot of people like to go there and party and gamble and all that. I'm not. I'm not a partier. I'm not a gambler guy. But I like food. Okay, I like food. So we're gonna have a nice dinner while we're out there, find some good food. I'm excited for you. Let's come back and get Kay Stevens involved in this guy. And by the way, JP, they have all kinds of rules about what you can and cannot do in Vegas if you're working for an NFL team, correct, you know. I thought a few years ago they were opposed to Vegas and you couldn't do anything. I wonder why there's a team there now, cutching, cutching the money, follow the money. It's all about the money to sell. Ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube. Register your furry friend for the Jaguars Official Four Legged Fan Club for Pets presented by Forever Vets Animal Hospital. Your pet receives access to exclusive merchandise, events and sweepstakes throughout the season. Visit Jaguars dot Com, Slash Promotion, Slash four Legged Fan Club and sign up today. Kai Nannie Stevens in studio when we return, it's Jaguars Happy Hours.
Speaker 5: I think he can go one of two ways, right, if they don't have if the players don't have that mindset, or if I don't have that mindset, it's gonna set you back even further. But if you come into it and you embrace it, all right, Well, we know, we know our situation. We got it, we understand that. But I think these next three weeks really can set us up for the future, for the offseason, for you know, next year, and how we can build and where we need to add pieces and all that kind of stuff, the development of our roster. But having guys like Brenton make those comments, I mean, those are the type of players you want, right You want those football players that love being here in this building, soaking up football, soaking up.
Speaker 2: Ball, love being on the grass.
Speaker 5: Those are the guys that you can build your team around. And he's one of several, obviously and many that we have on the team that can do that.
Speaker 2: Head coach Doug Peterson yesterday at the full Press conference at Jaguars dot Com and Jaguars YouTube talking about Brenton Strange loving ball being in here. On Monday after the game, it's Jaguars Happy Hour from the Honday Studios. We're on ten ten XCEL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube, JP Shadrick, Jeff Logman, Kaiani Stevens joining us in the studio each and every Thursday four thirty ish. How are you.
Speaker 6: I'm good, thank you, sixtreme. You have to love ball in week six a season like this, Yes you do.
Speaker 2: You gotta love it, kuy you do, and I know you do. So what is now? What three weeks to go? You hear that kind of stuff. It's like we're, you know, looking ahead, good nucleus for the future, good young guys get in time and the it's really the what we're looking at now is what you know what newer, younger guys get opportunities to build.
Speaker 4: Up down the stretch here, and that's how you have to look at I mean, we've been talking about it for a couple weeks ourselves. Now they're kind of saying it, but you've seen some of the move towards that. We haven't seen Ronald Darby much anymore. In the secondaries. They're really trying to figure out what they have going on back there. Andre Cisco hasn't been playing as much because they're trying to see what they have with Antonio Johnson and Mason Smith's been playing significant amount of time and we barely saw him at all. It wasn't even activated half of the games in the beginning of the season, So we are seeing that happen as this goes along. Yes, you would like to win a couple of games, feel good, be competitive, but you have to look forward and you need to I think what we've been talking about mostly is just knowing what you have, like what areas do you need to address? And also as this team, like there was a lot of players I felt like at least a couple of players this year that they took that they wanted to develop further. And if you can develop them in these last four or five games that they've been doing this and so then they're ready to go next year, that's a huge win for you.
Speaker 2: Well, Ronald Darby didn't play a snap zero yep this past game.
Speaker 6: Zero, all dressed up, nowhere to go.
Speaker 2: And I mean, to be honest, I don't know what took so long to move Monteric into the starting lineup. I mean, I was kind of hoping that that would happen a little while ago. And I'm not I wasn't asking for or wanting Darby to go down to zero snaps, but Montic had shown that he was playing better. And when teams are knowingly going after that guy, which is Darby, then it's time to make a change, and it took him a little while. He finally did the safety position. You know, with Antonio Johnson. Look, he's not without mistake. I mean, he made a huge error in this past game, and so the growing pains continue with him. The growing pains continue with Mason Smith, which you know a lot of times you kind of kind of just bite the bullet sometimes and take the growing pound pains. But if you're losing, you can do that. If you're winning and competing for playoff spots, you don't have that ability. And I hope it pays off for those guys down the road because it's not paying dividends for the team right now. What was the deal with Bason? I mean, he was a healthy scratcher a couple of three weeks and then all of a sudden had the ankle issue that popped up and practiced and had him down for a while. It just seems like he was kind of on the outside.
Speaker 3: Look, he had some good rushes his past game, I thought, but he got reached again a couple times. I mean that's kind of like defensive tackle one oh one is don't get reached, you know, staying your gap, and he got reached a couple of times, as he's done for basically the last three games, which is you.
Speaker 2: Know, again, it's just part of it. But at least his pass rush was better this week, which he affected the quarterback a couple of times, which was good, I mean good to see because I thought that that was his strong suit coming out of camp, was his ability to do that. Okay, we're chasing rookie receiving leader numbers this week.
Speaker 6: He's got two of them.
Speaker 2: Already right well for the Jaguars, yes, but he's also not far behind Brock Powers on the other side of this week for the rookie lead in receiving yardage this season.
Speaker 4: Gosh, that's scary. Tight ends for this team are always.
Speaker 6: A concern, right, yeah, right, and he's the best one.
Speaker 2: That's what it is, at least pretty bad. Okay.
Speaker 3: You know, the league puts out this cheat sheet, I guess you might call it, right, it's a whole packet, okay, and they go through every like, first of all, they start the packet out and it's got a bunch of league stats, trends, fun little kind of statistical pieces of information that you can use, you know, the playoff picture, all those things and then they get to the game capsules, which game capsule obviously describes the main storylines, and then it has the rosters, it's the schedule, and then it storylines within that game. And so I had to pull this one up just to meet some of the people that can see the broadcast of this can see this, but then also for the people that are listening on radio. It's a one pager and the first page is.
Speaker 6: Normal than a page.
Speaker 2: No, it's normally like two or three.
Speaker 6: Okay, so we're down to one.
Speaker 3: Go on, So it's down to one page, and the first page is just logo stuff, and it has one main storyline, JP, what's or ky? What's another great game this week in the NFL?
Speaker 2: The Ravens and the Steelers? Do you have happened to have that storyline? See if you can get the number of storylines. It's real quick, Okay, do some work around here, plenty of time. JP.
Speaker 4: Also, this reminds me very much of like if you were in college or when I was in college, and you're writing an essay and so you put the title in a really big font and then you put like the extra lines in the margins to fill the stage, and was.
Speaker 6: What it looks like to me when I'm looking at They've got no film.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of filler on the top of the release for the for the capsule of the Jaguars Raiders game. It's got one storyline and that storyline reads this stand out rookie pass catchers Brian Thomas Junior and Brock Baer square off with one thousand receiving yards benchmark in sight. That is the only storyline of this ball game. Now compare that to another dealer's Ravens has nine pages of notes.
Speaker 2: Okay, and how many storylines like the main storyline do you see? Just out go back to the top. Okay, then we're going. So they have nine pages, there's six. There's six main stylers in nine pages. Okay. The Jaguars game Raiders game has one storyline two pages. Did you count the main thing as one page? Okay, so that's nine to two.
Speaker 3: Like it's two good teams facing off against if you're going to the popcorn do it for two rookies?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, that's This game will be on in two markets, probably be Jacksonville in Vegas.
Speaker 3: It'll be very small. But okay, So I was curious because I actually went through this. I didn't find anything else. So the next main storyline for real is draft.
Speaker 6: Order for both of us.
Speaker 2: Yep, but that's great.
Speaker 3: Raiders have lost ten straight games. This is a little interesting nugget. So the Raiders have lost ten straight games since starting the season two and two. It's tied for the second longest losing streak within a season in team history. They lost thirteen games back in nineteen sixty two. I didn't know that about the Raiders back in nineteen sixty two, the last team to lose eleven plus straight games within a season.
Speaker 6: YEP, feeling. I know.
Speaker 2: I was here the twenty twenty Jaguars. We were all Herey, you weren't here. Everybody else was here.
Speaker 6: It was rainful though, yeah it was.
Speaker 3: And then it goes on to talk about the rookies, Brian Thomas brock Bauers, and they mix in Elak neighbors, Lad McConkey, a little bit of Justin Blackman thrown in there, because you know, obviously BTJ has the Jaguars rookie receiving record. Now will surpass with.
Speaker 2: Yardage? Is that all he's got them all?
Speaker 3: Now he's tied for catches he's got for the other on typer catch one catching and he passes Justin Blackman.
Speaker 2: But yeah, this is this is what.
Speaker 3: The game's down to. It's a great two rookies to sell the popcorn. It's a great lead in for Ford Trucks. Looking for the MVP of the truck game, better check out the twenty twenty four Ford F one fifty. Loaded with impressive capability and game changing tech. You can dominate work play and everything in between. Test driving F one fifty at your local Ford dealer.
Speaker 2: Proud partner of the Jacksonville Jaguars ten toon XL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube. This is Jaguars Happy Hour JP Shadrick, Jeff Loghman, Kay, Steve, there's a television program tonight.
Speaker 4: Guy.
Speaker 6: I'm told there is, Yes, I will be participating.
Speaker 2: Who is involved? Who else is participating?
Speaker 6: Jeff Logman is participating. I believe, I am.
Speaker 2: I will be there.
Speaker 4: Trey won Walker, I believe will be there. I'm very misinformed. I don't want to inform anybody of these things, he says, for the second week in a row. I always said the wrong person. So we're hitting those doldrums in WEEKND, so we.
Speaker 2: Didn't have a person last week.
Speaker 6: That was maybe my problem.
Speaker 2: That seems that was a problem. But how did the show go last week?
Speaker 6: Always good? Yeah, I think it's it's good to talk it out a little bit.
Speaker 2: We but I'm looking forward to having Trayvon on because you know, there is a little Trayvon nugget here. It's great on this Uh well.
Speaker 6: Brock Bauer shouted out his former teammate when he was talking to the media this week.
Speaker 2: Hm, Trayvon Walker leaves the Jaguars with eight and a half sacks and eleven tackle for losses in twenty twenty four. He needs This is pretty cool though, and this really is a big deal. He needs one and a half cent and Josh obviously needs three to get the double digits, which would join Klays Campbell, which he had double digit sacks and back to back years and seventeen when it was Saxonville and eighteen, which is that's a big deal. I mean for a pass rusher to get the double digits as a monstrous deal. Do you ever get the double digits one year? One year? And then I was always right below it? Seven eight, you know, you can't get one more sack to get over there.
Speaker 3: I blew my acl out after having ten and then it was an uphill battle.
Speaker 2: Injury out of our injury. But it is what it is. Trayvon Walker one of the good guys. I've got to say this about him.
Speaker 3: Last week, it was real quick, go ahead, Jeff. I thought he pass rushed really well, I did. I thought he had a plan.
Speaker 6: Job.
Speaker 2: That's kind of what he does, right, I know, but you know, usually trade it onto like a he's a power.
Speaker 3: Guy, you know, he and he wants to push and do that. This time he actually was had some quick decisive moves which was.
Speaker 2: I mean, look different. See, he just had a plan, which a lot of times Trayvon is just a power guy. Impressed me. Anyway.
Speaker 3: Just had to throw that in there because it impressed the hell out of me. And I'm looking forward to watching him play. I'm a big fan. He's a tough guy.
Speaker 2: When was the was it last year that Jaguars dot Com you went up to his hometown? Was that? When was that? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Not this past summer, but the one before. We went to Thomas and Georgia's where he's from.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yeah, and got to see like everything behind the scenes of all kind of scenes.
Speaker 4: Was he back to back state basketball champions I believe, Yeah, he's just I mean, Treadlon is just such a good person and his family is is so welcoming and it's easy to see where he gets his work ethic from and and he's just uh, he's one of those people you don't need to motivate, even if they're whatever the record is going to end up being. He doesn't need that kind of motivation. You can tell he has that within himself. And he's just getting better by the year, which is great.
Speaker 2: What was the name of the barbecue place.
Speaker 6: In Thomas Peggy Piggy Park?
Speaker 2: Peggy Park? You got it.
Speaker 6: Yes, they give me some barbecue when we left, too sauce. It was good. I think I did the whole like we did, like to try everything out.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, I like, I gotta try a little bit and then got cooked out on the way back.
Speaker 2: So I'm told. Brent Reaver says the Wings were good as well.
Speaker 4: I didn't have a bad thing there, so everything we tried was good.
Speaker 2: So love that. Well, I'm looking forward to the Wings tonight. Speaking of Wings, the Alabama White sauce wings. You know it. That's strange. They have other things on the menu.
Speaker 6: No, they don't, not in his mind.
Speaker 2: Nope. What are you going with tonight?
Speaker 4: I had a salad with the pulled brisket last time.
Speaker 6: That was very good. The brisket is good.
Speaker 2: Love that. You know what I'm going with? Extra Alabama white sauce. Oh double looking to dun't come in? Oh yeah, I always get extra Alabi Literally take a drumstick and I'm dipping it in air and swirling our around and then coming out with it.
Speaker 6: What's Thursday football tonight?
Speaker 4: Do you know?
Speaker 2: I don't know. That's a great question. Stand by Broncos at the Chargers. Good game.
Speaker 6: Actually watched much of good games, but really exciting.
Speaker 2: Have you guys watched Bonick yet?
Speaker 4: I haven't watched.
Speaker 6: I haven't watched.
Speaker 2: I have watched him. A totally different guy from in college. Like he was like at Auburn, was like what is going on here? And Sean Payton's and then a bunch and then now here he is they're coaching, They're coaching going on at a mile high. Good for him, man. Then they got a really good defense in Denver too, so that doesn't hurt well, having a great defense.
Speaker 4: Time Channel seven Channels thirty, Fox thirty thirty.
Speaker 6: Don't come to me, Do not come to me for the information. I just show up. Everyone else is in charge of the logistics.
Speaker 2: Seven o'clock tonight, Fox thirty String Sports Brewery in Springfield. Trayvon Walker is the guest for Jaguars All Access. Kai will see you there.
Speaker 6: Thanks.
Speaker 2: That's Kay Stevens joining us in studio. Back with the Baptist Health Injury Report for the Jags. If you want customized Jags furniture for your home, check out zipchair dot com and browse all customizable options. Zip Chair Furniture for fans. Coming up at five o'clock the Doug Peterson Show. This is Jaguars Happy Hour. Welcome back at Jaguars Happy Hour from the Honday Studios at the Miller Electric Center, JP Shadwick with Jeff Logoman. It's Week sixteen The Jaguars for You eleven, the Raiders, two and twelve. A Battle in the Desert. Sell it JP Allegiance Stadium, Las Vegas, just off the strip. First Jaguars visit there, by the way, have you said it's our first visits? We've never been.
Speaker 3: Have you gotten any feedback all the stadium and what it's like and or anything like that.
Speaker 2: There's a football field at the bottom of it. Well I know that. Yeah. Have you heard from anybody whether it's great or or anything. They just have the Super Bowl there like last year. Can't be bad. Yeah, But my point is that, like when you went, I'm just messing with you, I have not. I haven't heard much feeda when I went to Jerry's World. Yeah, right, walked. I've never been inside of by the way. When you walk in there, you go, oh wow, what a place. I mean, it really is fantastic. And there are certain stadiums that I think, like Baltimore. I mean it's a football stabus. The sightlines are great, the whole thing great. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I haven't heard from anybody or haven't heard anybody say anything about man Vegas. It's this, you know, So I'm looking forward. I think the radio boosts are pretty high if I remember photos, I'm okay with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got glasses, Yeah, well, I got glass I mean look at Houston is way high. Yeah, the Superdome is really high. It's a very crazy high. That's fine. Yeah, I don't. I don't mind the height. I just don't want to be tucked away in a corner. Right. That's kind of the trend, a lot of new places in a corner. I don't think in the corner. Yeah, So that's good, but I'm looking forward to seeing it. There are and you mentioned these actually tease this earlier. There are pretty stringent rules on what NFL personnel can do and not do in Las Vegas. There is from what I understand, casinos are not where you need to be, not on company time and a business trip, as this is company time from start to finish. Yeah, which is fine because I'm not a casino guy. Anyway. You can't even walk into a sports book unless there's business there, yeah, or you are going through to go somewhere else in the building. That's written. That's right, right, So mind your manners, stay on your best behavior. I'm okay. As long as there's no restrictions on walking into a restaurant and eating good food, I'll be fine. Plenty of that out there, then I'll be fine. I'm good. You can find something time for the Baptist Health Injury Report, and it is out now for Thursday. The Jaguars have four players on the list this week. Ezra Cleveland with a knee issue limited Wednesday and Thursday, Walker Little with an ankle issue limited both days. Brandon Sheriff knee, shoulder, head, shoulder, knees, toes whatever for Brandon limited both days. He'll be a warrior and play as always. Brenton Strange the tight end with a shoulder issue, limited both days, but expected to go. And news from head coach Doug Peterson earlier this week that both Trevor Lawrence and Evan Ingram underwent shoulder procedures and both were successful. So that's a good sign. Talked a little bit with Evan this morning and he looked great, sounded great. You know, got I'll have the whole kind of shoulder configuration, you know, the sling thing with the pad under the elbow, and uh yeah, he felt good. That surgery went great and so now he's on the path the recovery. And I don't think it would be I don't think either guy or they're going to be fine for the off season programs, okay, because it's April.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and look, people always say, well, you know they'll be limited. Everybody's limited in the off season, right right. I mean even even somebody that like a walker a little like he tweaked his ankle, okay, when he comes back for the OTAs, he's going to be a little bit limited until he kind of gets into his flow. So the reality is everybody's kind of limited coming back.
Speaker 2: I guess. Yeah. The off season program technically is mid April, but that's the first phase where it's strengthened conditioning only, and then on the field stuffs begins. What three weeks after that, I suppose, well.
Speaker 3: And late April early May off season condition for most players, Most players take maybe a week or two tops if that. A lot of them continue to get treatment wherever they may be, and then they jump right back into some of the conditioning stuff. And it's obviously it's not a lot of the high impact stuff. But the last thing in the world that you want to do is to get away from the game and to be a complete couch potato, you know, and eat cheetos and you know, peanut butter, and.
Speaker 2: Would you do those two? You don't mix cheetos and peanut butter. It makes a lot of things.
Speaker 3: I'm not a big Cheetos fan, but I am a peanut butter fan. Peanut butter goes with a lot of things.
Speaker 2: Jape It certainly does peanut butter and jell approach peanut butter and honey. It's wonderful. The other side of the entry report, by the way, quickly, both quarterbacks Aidan O'Connell and Desmond Ridder for the Raiders have practiced full both Wednesday and Thursday. O'Connell had a knee issue, Desmond Ridder with a hip issues, so you would expect O'Connell will be back into the starting lineup this week. Jakobe Meyer is a wide receiver with an ankle issue. Limited Wednesday and Thursday. And those are really the most notable issues for the Raiders. And that's the Baptist Health Injury report. Baptist Health changing health care for good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, O'Connell gives them the best chance to win. Desmond Ritters never really impressed me, whether he's been in Atlanta or watching him with the Raiders. He's kind of a hadn't really figured it out how to read defenses and runs around a little bit, but he's not like it's not like he's an effective runner, so running around doesn't really help him much. But Adan O'Connell is the gives them the best chance to win. If you go back and watch the Kansas City game, which was three weeks ago end of November, they ended up putting like over four hundred yards up against kan City, almost won that game. An o'conna ended up Frohn for three hundred and forty yards. Had an impressive game. It was like one hundred and ten and twenty rating something on that range. So look, they're capable, but you know, we'll see how he's going to be.
Speaker 2: The Raiders last week on Monday Night Football had three kicks blocked in the game, one punt blocked, one punt deflected, and one of their extra point attempts was blocked as well. I mean, you got to go test that again this week, right and get a rush on.
Speaker 3: I was kind of chuckling because I was I was doing my game board and I was like, gosh, they got a lot of special teams coaches. Like when I was doing my board just before the game, and so Tom McMahon is there, special teams coordinator. Then he has two assistants. Okay, he's got kid Rainings and then Darius Sweat in the second, it's so, and then all of a sudden I watched the game, I'm like, well, three coaches didn't pay off right there? Right, it's always coaching in the NFL, you know.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: Uh, but but seriously, when you're at this point where you're mathematically eliminated, you have to be aware of things like that. You're you have to be aware of things like that if you're the team.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then if you're a team with nothing to lose, you're also going to be more willing to take chances with fakes and also trick plays that may be on special team. So I think if you're Doug Peterson, you are talking to your coaching staff and saying, hey, look, let's all be aware of where we are, where they are, and what could possibly happen because of that, because you're just a willing You're willing to assume a little bit more risk in a game when you know things are kind of already done.
Speaker 2: It's empty the bag. Why not? Why not? Yeah, you got to do it now or never? Almost? Well, and here here's the one thing that trick plays and uh, fun plays or fake plays create. It creates kind of energy in practice.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you know, for example, if you're throwing a ball to a fat guy who in one of the offensive lineman. I'm joking around calling them fat guy because offensive lineman for the most part not fat.
Speaker 2: They're in great shape.
Speaker 3: But you know, for example, if you throw the ball to an offensive lineman like the Detroit line through the ball to Dan Skipper and everybody's all fired up about it, and then practice, I'm sure they were fired up about it and having fun. That creates fun and excitement. Also for a team that may not be doing.
Speaker 2: The boy so good. We got to have some fun, that's for sure. At three and eleven, we're looking for that this week in Las Vegas place were we can have a lot of fun. The Jaguars and the Raiders coming up, and then up next the Doug Peterson Show will have the head coaching studio in mere moments. Thanks for listening to Jaguars Happy Hour.