Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three, fifteen, episode two.
Speaker 2: Of Daily's Guys Day.
Speaker 1: Production of I Heeart Radio.
Speaker 3: This is a podcast where we take a deep dive.
Speaker 1: Into America share consciousness. And it is Tuesday, November twenty eighth, twenty twenty three, the last day of November. Oh ours, No, no, that's not right. I don't know how many days are in there, he'd be. We're coming to the end, though, folks, aren't we We're coming to the end. Yeah, we are, just in general. Twenty eighth, eleven, twenty eight, oh twenty three.
Speaker 4: You already know, Hey, everybody out there calling Allen in your life because it's national Allen Day. Begs, you just want to shout out to anybody with the name Alan. It's also a Red Planet Day. I have a feeling that's about Mars. Cuz yep, yep, I got that right.
Speaker 1: I know I was coming after twenty twenty four. Hell yeah, that's what that's what it's about. Bro.
Speaker 4: It's also a national French toast Day. And uh, you know of giving, I'm giving Tuesday, Giving Tuesday, so make sure.
Speaker 3: You give back.
Speaker 1: It is giving, isn't it It is?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Wasn't that that was like literally giving, wasn't that was like a tweet you liked. I remember last year it was like it's Giving Tuesdays. Yeah, anyway, it's Giving Tuesday because it is Giving Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, my name's Jack O'Brien aka Love Jack Baby, Love Jack, Love Jack Baby. I got some thick thighs and they're as big as a whale and they're about to set sale. You are what pale thighs lumper. That is courtesy of Max R. Lacaroni and Scouty on the Love Jack Baby, Love Jack. I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host, mister Miles Grass.
Speaker 4: It's Miles Gray Gay, myster Miles. My blood type is grave V because man, Thanksgiving gravy stuffing. I need to see a doctor immediately.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's uh, miles of gravy, piles of gravy exactly.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you can pile it, but hey, we'll work, we'll work.
Speaker 1: Hey, when the gravy is good, you can pile it. When it's been in the refrigerator for a little bit, you can you can like use it an ice cream scoop on it. That's when that's when it's good.
Speaker 4: You can do the little canal thing with the spoon technique like in the Bear you know what I mean, Denmark and Ship, Yeah, with the gravy anyway, it's.
Speaker 1: The Denmark Denmark episodes at the end of season one, right, No, I think too, No, no, it's in two. It's in two. Yeah, yeah, yes, that episode.
Speaker 4: With like Will Poultz plays like the like British dude that anyway?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I skip around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's good. I skip it around.
Speaker 1: Miles. It's time in our third It's dear but everyone. It's a hilarious stand up comedian, actor, musician with a seven point six rated album on pitch Fork. Yeah, you can listen to his podcast, Colbrew got me like, uh. You can read his book, The Advice King Anthology, available now anywhere fine books are sold. Poetry window is open. Motherfuckers, it's Chris motherfucking Craft.
Speaker 5: Hey, what's up? Oh my god? That that rating. I love how the rating for Pitchfork keeps getting higher. Real, he's got a class like a ten point zero classic.
Speaker 4: In eleven eleven point three from Pitchfork.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I just keep yeah, you keep doing what you're doing, Jack, Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: On the phones it.
Speaker 5: Right though, that feels seven point four man from a regular website to be you know, that'd be a fourteen at Spin dot com or whatever if that still exists.
Speaker 1: Dot com may spin.
Speaker 5: They're real stingy. A Pitchfork man, that review was like, this is the greatest album ever and they give it a seven point four. I mean that's like, that's a seventy four. You know, you get that on an essay in seventh grade and you get in trouble.
Speaker 1: Well, there's the Harvard of Music.
Speaker 5: I'm not putting them down. They're my daddy.
Speaker 1: They are my daddy. They liked the Andre album, by the way, they gave Andrea's flute music. Oh right, man eight point something. I like it too, Miles. Have we talked since it came out?
Speaker 4: No? No, no, how are you feeling? It's cool? I mean it's it's like it's it's experimental music. I don't listen to a lot of exper I mean it's interesting, but I don't. I never put experimental on. I'm like, you know what, crack my knuckles and sit back, like getting some experimental right now.
Speaker 1: But it's cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like the first song on the album is the first experimental music song I've ever had stuck in my head. So that's all I said.
Speaker 4: The whole time I was listening to it. I was like, some if a producer is smart enough, they should just be sampling this album and then putting Andrea Acapella's over this.
Speaker 1: That's what I was saying. I was saying, somebody's gonna somebody's gonna, you know, sample this, turn it into the type of music I normally.
Speaker 5: Like, if you guys heard Ozzy Osbourne singing, looks like we made it. The song by no the song by them, what do you that's not it's not called look looks like we made it. It's that's a Barry Manlow Shuniswain song.
Speaker 4: Still the one, Oh You're still the one?
Speaker 5: Have you heard the Ozzy Osbourne version of that? They do? Ai? I swear to god it's good.
Speaker 1: It gave me.
Speaker 5: It gave me fresh appreciation for that song, which I always so. Anyway, if they could do that with Andre three thousand.
Speaker 4: Oh it's it's Oh. That one's a I didn't like. I'm like, in a way, I'm like, oh, Ozzie covered still the one that sounds like maybe something Ozzie would do.
Speaker 5: But you know it's a he's not well enough anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the tonality these days.
Speaker 5: You give him a couple of hundred bucks, you do that.
Speaker 4: Christ hold on, no, no, I gotta hear this.
Speaker 5: Oh it's so good. It's so fucking good. It's actually good. The only time I've been thankful.
Speaker 1: For a I We're gonna get sued by Big Daddy.
Speaker 3: AI, Okay, okay, it's incredible.
Speaker 5: It's like giving me. It's like when someone covers the song that you like it again and h that song used to be good but then it got overplayed. Anyway, so I like, what so Pasi on the Flute album? Anyway. I think the Flute Album's fine, but I also am like annoyed by like young I work with young people now because I work at like a vintage store, and they're all like, this is my zone, and I'm like, yeah, your zone is like stoned and checked out. Like instead of punk rock, we get flu a further retreat. We're going into a new age now. I did not expect that the response to like fascism would be new age music, but that's what's basically happening.
Speaker 4: Well, it's one response yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: It's like stone. It's connected to stone though, you know, which is not good. Revolution is not good. Weed is not the right drug.
Speaker 4: For could you imagine? Though, Like that's the new thing. You just see like just people in the streets. Now the flute brigade comes out and they're like, oh shit, yeah, it's time, it's time. Could be the.
Speaker 5: Millennials with gen Z, they're always like, I'm tired, you know, like I'm already tired, like you know what I mean, because they're tired everyone with social media, you know. I mean yeah, but even like gen Z they're like twenty eight years old or whatever, and they're like, thank god, it's flute music. I can't take any more.
Speaker 1: Tell you one person a revolution with a flute, little gap by the name of the Pied Piper.
Speaker 5: So yeah, yeah, that was a caffeine type flute that was a caffeinated, hyper caffeinated butterfly fluttering that.
Speaker 4: Was trying to catch wasn't sixty vpm, That shit was like one eighty.
Speaker 5: That was back when the flute was like the electric guitar.
Speaker 1: That's right. Oh my god, see that dude shredding out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was.
Speaker 1: Happening. That's a big thing that.
Speaker 5: We've developed. Yeah, because I want to lead some kids over a cliff. I don't even know what he did or led the rats out of Sweden or whatever.
Speaker 1: Believe you got the rats out of Sweden.
Speaker 2: What am I gonna do? I gotta get rid of these rats.
Speaker 5: What's our loudest instrument?
Speaker 1: Flute?
Speaker 5: Jesus give me one.
Speaker 1: Fuck, it's only been a few years. That's what we've come up with. All right, Chris, We're gonna get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, a couple of things we're talking about. I mean, it's a crofton episode. I don't know if we're going to talk about any of this ship.
Speaker 5: But I'm much more mature you are.
Speaker 1: I know that is not a complaint. We love a we love a good cross.
Speaker 5: Since I ran for office, I've been a lot more on topic.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, all right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you did hand us a power point. You handed us a power point. You have a one sheet that you would full of topics that you would like us to stick to.
Speaker 4: Me. Yeah, and you already you messed up by bringing up the pitchfork thing.
Speaker 5: Me, me and me.
Speaker 1: That's what we're gonna talk about people how frequently people kids these damn days are checking the damn phone.
Speaker 4: Dang, everybody, not just kids.
Speaker 1: Everybody's checking our phone during sex and other times that we shouldn't be doing that. Talk about that we might check them with private equity. From a previous Tuesday episode, we are of course going to talk about Hall getting restraining order against Oats. I feel like if I'm like ranking these in the order of like what what we will get to Hall getting restraining order against Oats is probably I need criss craft.
Speaker 5: That's pretty incredible. Yeah, that's like, yeah, that's like soup getting mad at nuts or something.
Speaker 4: But Darryl Halls is kind of a he looks like a like an ego maniac. That guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I saw him in the supermarket in like nineteen eighty five. He looked completely out of place because he was in his rock and.
Speaker 4: Roll you know, like Daryl Hall a video mill.
Speaker 1: Had like the black tights on, and yeah.
Speaker 5: Maybe he was in town for some kind of event or something, but he was like buying milk, wearing like his rock and roll clothes, and he looked ridiculous, incredible.
Speaker 1: I think people who like are larger than life. Personalities like that should be forced to always like have their look on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean should come with it, yeah, like part of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, those like baseball caps pulled low over the eyes.
Speaker 4: You know, no, because you got to keep up the mystique of this celebrity myth, you know what I mean, Like they look like that all the time. Yeah, and they hate it.
Speaker 1: We might even talk about the Squid Game reality show all of that, maybe none of that, some of that, but before we get to it, Chris crofton, we do like to ask hello, yes, hello, Chris Hello. We like to say hello, toodles. And also what is something from your search history that's revealing about who you are?
Speaker 5: Well, it's become a tradition on here for me to tell you about weird stuff on the YouTube. And I've been into lately because I'm still very much into YouTube, but I'm still not paying for the ad free so I'm starting to lose it because they're really making the ads long.
Speaker 4: They're trying to wait, wait, i mean look ad blockers, ad blockers on YouTube. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Chris, there's ad blockers.
Speaker 5: That's someone you hire.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you hire them. You give look, you give me sixty bucks a month. I'll make sure you get no ads man, trust me.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 4: But there's like there're extensions that you put in a browser. I'll walk you through it later.
Speaker 1: Hold on.
Speaker 2: Fuck yeah, extensions in a browser?
Speaker 5: Do I have to write my congressman?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: No, no, you can do it all from the privacy of your own home.
Speaker 5: That's all right. So I'm a fool anyway. I know I'm a fool. Let should just be paying paying for it, but I anyway, that's what's caused.
Speaker 4: Like this has been a huge thing because they're like some creators who are like I don't care if people are using ad blockers to watch my content, Like I don't want to. I don't I don't want to prevent people from watching what I see. And YouTube has now been like fighting like the people who have ad blockers in their browsers or to be like we've suspecting that you, like we can tell you're using an ad blocker. If you do it three more times, you will get like you can't use your account anymore. Oh okay, And it's caused Like what's great though, is like it just made the like ad blocking movement even more aggressive. We're like now they're like, oh, that's how you want to play. Then we're like, we're gonna make sure our shit's real tight. So now you can't sense even when we're using ad blockers.
Speaker 5: Wow, I love that. Yeah, Okay, so I'm like one of these guys. It's just stuck because I'm old, you know that. I'm like, oh, no way around this. I gotta watch thirty seconds of ads for Capital one or.
Speaker 4: Whatever, right, and then then you can watch your mother.
Speaker 5: And then I get to watch my mind exploring video.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I'm still stuck up. But they've also been trying to break me. I really feel like they've like this guy's been going for a long time and it's time to amp it up. We're gonna make these ads really long, you know, because for a while it was like you can skip the ads, you know, they skip ads like that button doesn't even come up for me anymore. So they're trying to get me to pay.
Speaker 1: But I'm standing think they've got you like targeted, and some they're like this this is the one guy who this is all insane.
Speaker 5: This is like I like the idea that they're personally attacking me, like they're getting track of like, we're gonna get this guy to pay, and I'm like, no, you're not.
Speaker 2: I'll watch ads. I'll watch them.
Speaker 1: I don't care. They see their earnings going down and they're like, what's crofting up to?
Speaker 2: I'm not paying.
Speaker 5: I mean, That's what I'm doing over here. So I found a couple of things that were really good. One is mob.
Speaker 4: Facts, like what like stats like a.
Speaker 5: Pack all caps. It's an account called mob Facts m.
Speaker 1: O B F A X, and a lot of it.
Speaker 5: A lot of it's just like like old TV shows, or like it's not TV shows. It's always like news, like old news reports about the mob or biker gangs and stuff.
Speaker 4: Oh whoa.
Speaker 5: But there's also a lot of b roll that they put up unedited from like news reports from nineteen eighty two from like Daytona Beach about biker gangs, where it's just them filming them in their clubhouse, just like with no narration, just you're just basically hanging out in a biker clubhouse in Daytona in nineteen eighty two. You know. And I've talked to I know Miles is talking. We've talked about the payphones, Like I don't know if we like that kind of thing where I was a long time ago, I said, I used to search on YouTube like for like wild sound from a diner nineteen sixty two, you know, and it's like there's no there's none, and and anyway, it turns out like anyway, it doesn't matter. You can hang out in a biker bar in real time on these things. Like it's just like tons of b ye roll of just like of Daytona in nineteen eighty two, or like Tampa or or or even Charlotte, North Carolina, like everywhere was like rural back then, so like Charlotte, North Carolina looked like the mob.
Speaker 1: The first to like do spring Break is that like it sounds very very much like.
Speaker 5: I don't know why they focus on Broward County or whatever. That was one of the ones I watched. It's like three hours of b roll unedited footage of bikers hanging out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this one's like Florida Florida part one.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I watched one. Yeah, that's the one I watched. Like that's that's the good one. I mean that's there's like three episodes of it.
Speaker 4: And so someone just like aggregating, like they use the term loosely. Oh, this is my favorite episode in this tape.
Speaker 6: It's local news and the procession of motorcycles, some not as the Outlaws bury one of their own. The funeral is for Henry Wow, and a little.
Speaker 5: Bit well can they hear this on the on the show?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh they can't. Oh is this them in their club now? Oh yeah, just silent film with them, like yeah, yeah, yeah, So we're really into Iron Crosses. Okay, so this is where you're like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is not seeing the politics of nineteen eighty two Outlaws out Motorcycle Gang. I just think it's interesting to see people hanging out like in the bar before there were phones, right right, No, and it's really boring. It turns out it's really boring. All people did was tackle each other.
Speaker 1: Oh really, there's people. So when they're hanging out in the bar, they're tackling one another.
Speaker 5: No, there's one guy on the payphone already, so they can't use the payphone. And then and there's no other phones, so they're playing pool and then and then usually they just get drunk and then they just start tackling each other. So I will say that, you know, for all the trouble phones have caused we are of living in a better time for like, you know how you know there's an upside to we can read a Wikipedia about Alexander Graham Bell instead of tackling our friend Onion. Yeah, at the clubhouse or whatever. I mean, that's all they do. At a certain point, they just get so drunk they start just helping each other around the barroom.
Speaker 2: They're like, oh, get onion, he fell down. Oh my god, animal or.
Speaker 5: You know what. They're all named things like like scallion boy or whatever.
Speaker 1: Cricket good for good form, Hey, rat.
Speaker 4: Man, rat Man, ratman, Scallion Larry got hit by a dart.
Speaker 5: Like they're all just causing their own trouble. They're like, you know, they're like trying to fight themselves, Like where did you come from? They're like looking in a mirror. You know, it's like that guy, it's like that kind.
Speaker 1: Of it's like headbutting it.
Speaker 5: It definitely doesn't look as like interesting as you know, you imagine.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like it must have been much harder to be sober back then, like because there's just nothing to do, right, Yeah, you just had to like get really serious about like seeing how many of your friends you could cram into a phone booth like that wasn't it wasn't that one of the hobbies, one of the other hobbies besides just getting drunk at noon, that's like way yeah, yeah, it was like kids seeing how many people they could cram into a phone booth.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh definitely, and you get you get, yeah, swallowing goldfish or whatever. Also, it's you can really get a sense of how unsafe the world was back then. Sure, you know, I mean there was just one phone and somebody was usually on it, and if you couldn't get to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and everyone was. You could just to assume that everybody you encountered was drunk like it throughout the day. For the most part, I feel like.
Speaker 5: If they weren't drunk, they were all for their whole head and body was full of leaded gasoline, which I think is actually a secret reason why America has gone to hell. It's because for like, well I think maybe every nation, but you know, I think that we all were like, we must be stupid, and we're not like gonna analyze ourselves well, because we were we're already you know what I mean, Like we already got poisoned by lead so how can people who are poisoned by lead assume that they're not doing that bad? You know what I mean, Like, like you can't assess yourself if you've already been poisoned by like, oh, well, I think we had leaded gasoline in the air for like forty years, but I don't think it had much of an impact. Meanwhile, everything's going crazy, but they're like, of course the person who's poisoned by lead is gonna say it didn't have much of an impact. An alcoholics saying they're not an alcoholic, yeah, which is one of my favorite, Uh that Norm McDonald's story where he says he got drunk at the bar and it was like a second time ever getting drunk, and he got put in a rehab. He said, he told him he wasn't an alcoholic, and they said, he said, but the thing is, that's what alcoholics say.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what alcoholics. So you just like can't get out. Yeah. But I mean, there is the big lead crime hypothesis that's I don't know. This basically says that, you know, there's been this massive drop off in crime throughout a lot of the world, and it happens to coincide with the removal of lead from gasoline and every pain.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's possible.
Speaker 1: In formula, I feel like it seemed like it was in everything.
Speaker 5: People aren't. Yeah, it was in everything, because it was like coming out of everywhere you looked. I mean, oh, I remember A big part of my childhood was like car exhaust, you know that doesn't exist anymore. That was everywhere you went. I mean you stood in parking lots getting led straight in your young face. Yeah, I mean everywhere you went. Yeah, I mean that that must have had an impact. And now we these lead poison people, do these studies that say nothing happened to us.
Speaker 4: Right, and also the positions of power we.
Speaker 5: Look around the world. Yeah, meanwhile, we look around the world and like, you know, Mitch McConnell like is shutting down talking. It's not the gasoline, like someone from another galaxy's like that's classic lead.
Speaker 4: He leaded fucking freak.
Speaker 5: He grew up in Kentucky in the nineteen fifties. Holy ship, that guy's like ninety percent lead.
Speaker 1: He's mostly lead. At this point, he actually thinks he's doing good things. Yeah. The only people who are like still clinging to power who still have power and wealth in this country. Are all like the most the most lead boys and the.
Speaker 5: Koch brothers been like hanging around like fucking yard ship.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're like, Yeah. I used to be the pencil sharp the designated pencil sharpener in class for every grade I was in. I would take all the lead pencils and grind them up right there and take big old whiffs of.
Speaker 1: It, and you got like ct just doing lines of pencil shavings. Do you guys like the smell of gasoline? I'm sorry, what do you like the smell of gasoline?
Speaker 4: You mean like on some like motor head type ship, like a man, just like.
Speaker 1: When you're pumping gas.
Speaker 5: If I waded in, Yes, Miles exactly.
Speaker 1: He's never heard of this, which means uff, I think this explains a lot about it was.
Speaker 5: Obviously, I don't think what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Like, I think in the early eighties they still had lead in the gas, and I think I huffing that ship as like a four year old dude.
Speaker 4: I think I feel like because I know they started to phase it out in the eighties, and I feel like I have vivid memories of my mom specifically asking for unleaded gasoline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was the thing. Unleaded please right, you decaf in the morning.
Speaker 5: That wasn't like a choice like you were vegetarians, just according to what kind of car you had. I don't think you could use unleaded in a leaded gas car, could you?
Speaker 1: Oh? Is that right?
Speaker 4: I don't remember like hearing that specifical.
Speaker 5: I don't think it was like maga person was like, I'll take leaded. Your car doesn't take leaded?
Speaker 1: Well that engine not destroy.
Speaker 2: My fucking car, then I don't give a shit.
Speaker 1: That's the big thing that that's why they added the lead to the gasoline was to cure engine knock and are you serious? That was like when when cars first started, they would like be running smoothly for five minutes and then the engine would just start being like should everybody in the car be like what the fucking just happened? And they could never like figure it out. And then they added lead. And then there was that famous inventor who was like, this is nothing, it's going everybody's gonna be safe. Look, I'm going to like huff it or this guy's gonna huff it at this press conference, and like the guy died. Yeah, boy, what a time.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So that's mob backs if you want to watch, like I really do, I mean like a bunch of it's like mob trials. Like it's just like like really long takes of mob mob trials like often just like you know, the stuff they had footage, the footage they had laying around the newsroom from like or you know, in the archives of low stations. But I love that ship.
Speaker 4: I love that too, because that's like the most like you're really transported to another time when you have like you can see the grain of like the video and like the audio quality and just like the shitty just everything, and it's like the opening arguments have began and John Gotti's like Jeno Vese crime family.
Speaker 5: That's what it is. And then there's just like the stuff they shot in the hallway with like no commentary on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people like walk zero.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like people in slacks going out, going out for a smoke, Yeah, going out to smoke a vantage.
Speaker 1: Going out to hav an affair, oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, whatever horrible ship you did then, because all you had to do is go like one town over Cretes and you have an affair, have a second family, put a wig on and go one block over and started doing life.
Speaker 4: Unless you like back back then, were they just showing like these like shot up mobsters, like when they would like a hit, like like one of these guys got fucking snuffed out, because like I feel like in so many mob documentaries, there would be moments they would cut to like footage from the eighties and like, oh, ship that guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just a guy in his sit with his ass in the air on the paved for some reason.
Speaker 5: That they show that one. Particularly that's Paul Castellano, the one who got shot on the on the on the patio and he's tangled up on the tablecloth with a cigar between his teeth or whatever between. Yeah, that's a good picture. But I don't know why they showed that picture.
Speaker 4: Right, And that's that's tonight's news all right here? Yeah, correct with the weather.
Speaker 5: I guess they hated it was like when Lenny Bruce died and they put his dead body all over the news because the cops hated him. So it may have been like one of those things where they're just like, we're releasing it's just because we hate this guy so much. But okay, so mob backs is one thing. Then there's this other channel I've been watching called below the.
Speaker 1: Wait, let's hat let's take it quick break. So we're getting we're getting more search history from Chris Craft. We'll be right back and we're back. This is this is the Crofton Expert episode.
Speaker 5: Just okay, well no, I'll just go quick on this one. It's not that.
Speaker 4: You have an expertise in obscure YouTube.
Speaker 5: This one is not that obscure because the numbers on mob backs I think are pretty low as far as views.
Speaker 1: Have you heard of scribed?
Speaker 4: Have you guys heard of vivo v e v Oh? They have a lot of music videos.
Speaker 5: A tremendous number of ads on there, though there's no way to block them. You just have to watch them. So the other one is this this channel called below the Planes, Below the Planes, where it's this guy named Tom asked Jim who goes to fields in North Dakota or like old properties. He finds old properties from old maps from the nineteenth century and he finds out where there used to be a saloon and then he looks around the yard because usually the saloons like long gone, like the saloon. Right, this is like late night, late eighteen hundreds North Dakota. So like all that got well, I don't know what the fuck that's supposed to mean. Like everybody knows, you got a picture this, this is late. Everyone knows it's late eighteen hundreds North Dakota. So those buildings aren't gonna be around anymore. I have no idea what that means.
Speaker 1: But he just shows up to a field, yeah, and he's like, there's.
Speaker 5: A depression there, and there's a depression there, and that could be like an outhouse pit or a garbage pit, but he's looking at basically what we or you would see as a field. And then he goes over and he starts poking it with a big prod and he feels glass in the ground, and then he just digs and then there's like six hundred bottles in the ground. And every show he just pulls out so many fucking bottles. And look how many views he has on his goddamn channel. He has like eight hundred thousands on some of these things.
Speaker 4: The wild thing is like to your point, like the thumbnails for the videos are literally a picture of like well, like again, we'd be like, okay, it's some fucking field, but then there's like an arrow where there's like a like a weird small patch of grass, and it's like buried beside the tracks, hundreds of rare bottles, right, and.
Speaker 5: It's all outhouse pits. And he all so like digs in these outhouse bits. And finally he said something I've always wandered, they still stink. I was wondering if that like you know what I mean, like I was. They don't usually mention it, but he said, and they show there's lime in some layers, because that's the through lime on the on the outhouse contents, you know, right, you know.
Speaker 1: One and forty two year old map found in an old library led us to an absolute jackpot. He overdoes the jackpot shit a little bit.
Speaker 5: But anyway, he's a he's a fucking wizard, the guy's and he has like a team like someone someone No, this guy is digging. You get the impression now that if you just go out in your yard and just dig, you're gonna find hundreds of bottles. Like the whole earth is made of bottles. If you like this guy picks the place is obviously they're not. The whole earth isn't made of bottles. But that's what this guy makes it look like. I just be like, I think there's some bottles here, and then next thing you know, he he is down six feet and there's like one hundred bottles on the ground and they're all like from anyway, and he knows what they all are, and they're all tool top. He says, tool top. Now, if you want to have a drinking game, say you were really into blow the planes, the man says, tooltop so much that it can drive you.
Speaker 1: Top.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well there's you know, Chris, this look like it was like one of those where.
Speaker 5: An adult you don't even know what a tool top is. Huh, never heard of Tom ask jem My Goodness, So yeah, Tom asked. Jim says tooltop because tooltop means to hand blown bottle or like a blown like I don't even they used to blow bottles, you know, bottles. They used to blow glass up to up to like the century, okay up until like so like it's machine made or it's a tool top, and a tooltop means they cut the lip with a tool or there's a blob top, which is an older kind of bottle where they just applied the top. It's where they call it a blob top or an applied top where it's like they add the top after it's done because they didn't know how to do a better top. So it's like he's he knows every bottle. He's like, oh, this is a fucking flap jack style, you know, cosmetics bottle from nineteen ten, and he pulls them out one after the.
Speaker 1: Other like valuable, Like when he says the jackpot is like a jackpot for him.
Speaker 5: Yes, their bottles, no, their bottle freaks out there that he's found some bottles in North Dakota where it's like the only he finds the only example of this certain kind of soda. Oh wow, soda bottles are really valuable, like soda water, Like back then everybody drank soda water because maybe because the water was bad, because this was like North Dakota in the late eighteen hundreds is like Nowheresville, Yeah, I mean it probably still is, but you know it really was back then.
Speaker 1: That's like what's it called the show on HBO Dead with right, Like, isn't that the Dakota's Yeah, Dakota Territory.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So he's out there a lot, and that's where he does a lot of his hunting. I mean, it's it's kind of incredible. It does get repetitive because he finds so many bottles and he knows what they are so fast. So he's just like, that's another that's another Mecato style liquor flask. That's a sheet shoe fly liquor flash with a with a with a double cut bottom or whatever. You know. He just keeps going and then he always says tool top tooltop tooltop tool to.
Speaker 4: See like with the with these finds, like when like, is he kind of motivated by the monetary gains of finding this stuff? And does he and is he like doing well? Like if he's digging out, if he's constantly digging this ship, you must have a lot of money, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, America's youngest billionaire.
Speaker 5: He's a billionaire the old fashioned way bottles. Yeah, so he the other billionaires like, don't take him seriously. Whoa, it's nice to meet you, Elon, we're the same.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Hey, hey, you want to dig in one of my fields, loser, And he's like, you try, I can't.
Speaker 2: Find an mud. You're a rascal.
Speaker 5: Ask him.
Speaker 1: There's just something cool about a guy who like looks at our world and like sees music, you know, like see like it's just like, oh, I see, I see the secret code. I see the history of this landscape. It's incredible just underneath it, just just below the surface.
Speaker 5: And I bet everybody's digging up their mom's yard because of this guy. Yeah, somebody's finding like, oh, there's a depression right there, and then they dig it up and it's like the it's probably like you know, the main power grid or whatever, you know, yeah, but basically right you know, it's like the worthy above ground pool used to be and there's nothing down there at all. You know, Oh, there's an impression in the ground. Yeah, that's from our old above ground pool. No it isn't, Mom, shut up, mom. You know, even seen below the planes, there's bottles everywhere.
Speaker 4: This guy just like I'm watching a clip. This guy is like had like a treasure map and then it's like a hard cut and he's like pulling out like an immaculate ceramic bowl from the insane.
Speaker 5: It's insane and it makes you want to dig everywhere. But here's a mass of figuring out where to dig. And this person who runs his channel because he has like a production team someone obviously knew this guy and said, okay, you're doing this.
Speaker 4: Like tooltop, knife edge, coffin style liquor flask. Just pulled it, cir k.
Speaker 5: So he's just like and he old hat to him. If I found one of those, I would I would die happy, you know what I mean? If I found one whatever you said, coffin style. He's always talking about that coffin style liquor flask. If I found one of those.
Speaker 4: Oh he just found a tooltop drug store bottle excels your drug store yank.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, he's so sick of drug store bottles. That makes him angry. He could tell a drug store bottle no embossing. He gets really mad. But it's not a boss. He's like sometimes he goes that should be a boss. That's the right period for it to be a boss.
Speaker 1: Is it always like loosen the dirt or is he like finding like a room down there?
Speaker 4: No, he's just like he's just like just using like a trowel and kind of being like, oh, here's a little here's a little something.
Speaker 5: Here, here's a little buddy, and then like an out house pit. He's usually founding it and he calls the use layer and the use layer of the outhouse pit means ship. Yeah, and he's always talking about, uh, we know, we know we're in an outhouse pit because there's undigested seeds all over the place. He always says that too. Then then he just like but then he said one time he said it's stank, like you could tell this is an outhouse pit, which I was wondering because he's like, this brown stuff is human waste. And I also wondered that because I thought maybe it was a kind of soil or something like that human waste.
Speaker 4: So he's like, yeah, and I got hepatitis from the last jackpot I hit, So that was fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah. He The most exciting thing that happened with some old wine bottle from like nineteen hundred still had fermented wine in it or like still had a little bit of product left in it. So when he took the bottle out of the soil and exploded in his face because the pressure had been had been kept in the so he got old wine. Yeah, he got old wine in his eye from like the last person who drank it was like pie.
Speaker 4: It also just like makes me realize, like how how little I understand about the passage of time, you know, like you're like, okay, so there was a saloon there and then what like the building probably gets raised and then like do they just leave the Like there's like all right, threw some dirt on top of what used to be here, basically like the like there's no like real excavation way to be like you got to clear all this crap.
Speaker 5: It's like junk. Like they won't even do it. Like they find like the remains of a Native American village and ship and they just want to cover it up because they just want to get on with buildings.
Speaker 1: Yeah's next one of the greatest like American archaeological sites Cochia Mound in Saint Louis. Like they discovered it as they were turning it like it it's like as impressive as like the Pyramids in Egypt. It was like wild. It had like all these different layers of like multicolored earth and they were in the process of turning it into a parking lot when somebody stopped them and was like, actually, this is like, well.
Speaker 4: Maybe one of the most impressive structures you've seen on this content.
Speaker 1: Like they imported like red clay from the fucking Mississippi, like from from like Louisiana all the way up here just to like make this giant mound. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So when they pave like a highway, and they usually push back really hard against any archaeologists to get these projects done. They they they even have you know, destroy sites just because they want to keep the project on schedule. So you know, it's very hard. So bottles this is considered just trash. But but what's neat about it is that this guy's finding, you know, bottles that say Dakota Territory on them, and I guess people collect these. So he's found a couple of bottles where he set out loud like this is worth sixteen thousand dollars. Most of the time he doesn't talk about price, but so he's making money off that. But the real genius is the person genius. I mean, uh, but the real the smart guys the guy has says produced by that channel, they're making fortune off that channel. Some of those almost all those things have two hundred thousand views on him and some of them eight hundred thousand, and so I think just someone said, like, man, Tom, we got to get you on film doing this. This is insane. You know, and he's said he's on camera. He said he's dug thousands of outhouse pits. And then in his spare time he restores like carriages from the nineteenth century. He's some kind of a I mean, I think Tom Asked him is some.
Speaker 1: Kind sort of nineteenth century fucking freak.
Speaker 5: He's like a multie like restores old stoves, like he had a stove. They showed him in his warehouse. I found it a separate video because I was just poking around looking for Tom Asked Jem videos.
Speaker 4: Like on its own, to see if they.
Speaker 5: Had any background in this guy. And they showed him in his like he's like, I'm not digging bottles right now because I forget why. He said, like I hurt my knee or something. And he's like, I'm hanging around the warehouse working on this other project is to restore this late nineteenth century stove. And he's like getting a stove back to mint condition, like the way people restore cars. Yeah, do you imagine what kind of weirdo you got to be?
Speaker 1: What if he's just a time traveler from like back then. Yeah, I used to ship right here. Oh man, I bet.
Speaker 4: A lot of corn that day. I remember that one.
Speaker 5: I bet he's I bet he's single, though, Oh yeah, imagine being his girlfriend.
Speaker 2: Oh god, you're storing a stove. Holy fuck, what are you an idiot?
Speaker 1: I bet there's a person out there for him.
Speaker 5: I bet no, he probably he probably, I mean he's probably a rock starto like yeah, stove restoration groupies. Oh, like the hottest bottle collector likely got her hear about the number, even just to get the stuff. Yeah, if you're like the hottest bottle collector, you're gonna want to hang with him because he's just gonna you could probably slip a sixteen thousand dollars SEWDA bottle into your pocket when he's not looking.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take one more break and we'll come back and hear either an overrated or an underrated and we're bad.
Speaker 5: Just one more thing about that last segment. Don't don't, seriously, don't do the drinking game tooltop. If you that guy will drive you and sane saying tooltop, I mean that you'll you know you would die, I mean tooltop, tooltop, tool will drug store bottle, drug store bottle, drunk store bottle, drunk store bottle. Yeah, I said tooltop, tooltop tools, I mean, unbelievable. My friend said I recommended the channel or my friend was watching it separately or something like because I have friends that like are into the same kind of stuff, And she was like, have you seen this? And I was like, yeah, I watched it all the time. She's like, man, that guy. Imagine. I think she might have said, like, imagine a drinking game where you said, every time he says tool top, you'd just die. So I'm not the only one. Everyone who watches that channels Like, I kind of wish you would just if it is a tooltop, you would just put it to the side and not say.
Speaker 8: It, because we're assuming it is a tool we know, Yeah, why don't you say when it's not a tooltop?
Speaker 5: How about that only when it's not a top? That's like, that's what I would say in the comments. I want to get in the comments like guy trolling.
Speaker 4: Oh, come on, ask gentlemen another if you said tool top fucking forty three.
Speaker 5: Please respond, please respond to put like my phone number you like an old guy in the YouTube comments like I would respond, I've.
Speaker 2: Read left fifty of these messages. Here's my phone number again, what's the matter with you?
Speaker 1: Please? We need to discuss this urgently.
Speaker 2: I also want to talk to you about my divorce. You seem like you might know something about divorce.
Speaker 1: It's like stand but even sadder.
Speaker 5: Do you like Crossby Stills and Nash?
Speaker 2: Anyway, I'm getting off topic. Please stop saying tool top so much, but also call me up.
Speaker 1: What Chris? What's do you think is overrated?
Speaker 5: Or underrated? Okay, underrated real quick? Just just a flat out recommendation because I want to get to some stuff. I mean I want to get you guys to get to some stuff. Underrated. This great documentary about a jazz trumpeter on the Criterion channel right now, but I'm sure you can rent it from Amazon or whatever. But it's called I called Him Morgan and it's about jazz trumpeter Lee Morgan. And first of all, it's absolutely beautifully made documentary, beautiful, like I mean, like like just to watch, like visually spectacular. And then the story is unbelievable. It's about a trumpet player who became a junkie, ended up on the street, was rehabilitated by this woman, and then this humongous twist sort of not a twist because it's a real story, but like you know, something unexpected happens.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: But it's just a beautiful documentary. And I watched it again last night, and I probably watched this is probably the third time I've watched it. So that's on.
Speaker 1: Their last time you recommended a documentary. All the Beauty in the Bloodshed was one of my favorite things.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm glad, So I'm glad. I called him Morgan is so beautiful and it's it's based on this guy who met this woman who was taking a class from him at like a community college and I can't Mississippi or South Carolina or somewhere, and she was like in in her fifties or something, and he just became friends with her and asked her what her history was, and she just told him the story and he was like, what you know, like can I record you? Saying? Can I interview you? And he had an audio cassette And this whole documentary is based around this audio cassette of this interview he got with this woman. And if he hadn't taken the time to ask her where she came from, because I think it was like a maybe it was a musical appreciation class or something at a community college. I'm probably getting that wrong, but it was something where he was like, oh, what makes you interested in jazz or something? And then she told him this story, and and Lee Morgan's music's incredible too, and just also just getting into like how sad it is that, you know, the Internet has shattered like culture to the point where there's no more like little ecosystems that exist, Like jazz was such a fucking awesome yeah in the fifties and sixties, like forties, fifties, sixties, thirties, whatever, just like a place you know where it's just an amazing place where where you know, yeah, I don't know, it's.
Speaker 4: Just yeah, avant garde musical exploration was like a lot of that was really happen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and run by African Americans, like fucking you know, like like an unbelievable like a subculture, like cultures, different cultures, like you know, yeah, in the same country or I mean, it doesn't matter, you'll get it from the from the documentary. It's a beautiful documentary.
Speaker 1: So then the little like local community colleges and city colleges.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that professor, and the professor just said, hey man, you're an older lady. What are you doing taking this class or whatever. It's like, well this happened, and he's like, oh my god. And then he has this one dusty cassette and they show him in his house, the professor guy with dreadlocks and stuff, and his he has the dustiest boom box. It made me like, I was like, my god, this makes me feel better about how dusty my shit is. I mean, he has the dustiest tape and the dustiest boom box I ever.
Speaker 4: Saw, and right, and like the only things that don't have dust on it are the play pause, stop button and volume.
Speaker 5: Mae's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable.
Speaker 5: I mean, the thing was like coated and dust so overrated. I was just gonna say, federal politics as opposed to local federal politics at this point is just like a full on distraction of people just yelling at each other. They're not even legislating. So everything should be local. Everybody should be invested in local politics and state politics. And that's just to tie into like talking about I have this new thing on NPR and Nashville which we can talk about later. Through the through the election, I kind of ended up on an NPR show, a local NPR show with a with my own like little feature called Nashville Confidential with Chris Crofton and it's on twice a month on this daily show here in Nashville called This is Nashville, but it's it's on NPR, you know. So I'm like, yeah, I'm like reaching a lot of people.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I did a whole one about my election that comes out tomorrow and it's twenty five minutes long. So for twenty five minutes, I'm going to be the only thing on Nashville NPR. Oh wow, which is pretty I mean it's a million person sort of reach.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah, Yeah, that's a big universe of listeners.
Speaker 1: Radio is still real, man, still reaching people.
Speaker 4: And I love hearing that, Chris. But so where's our cut? Well, you know.
Speaker 5: We can talk about that off the air, some pale dude.
Speaker 4: That's so wait. So just from when you were like obviously you were getting a lot of attention because you're so outspoken and of completely shattering the mold of like yeah, no person pursuing office like that, like just by virtue of that, they were like, hey, we would love to hear more from you. Is that kind of how it worked out.
Speaker 5: Well, it was really through the book originally, but when I came back to Nashville, I was a featured author at the Southern Festival Books, which is what I used as like my sort of gold date to be back in Nashville from LA because I was dragging my feet about just like fucking packing, right, So I was like, I have to be back in Nashville by October sixteenth for this Southern Festival Books, which I you can only imaginehe I had in my head that I was going to ride it on an elephant the Keys to the City or something. Instead of spoke, I spoke in an upstairs conference room at the library to like eleven people, two of which were my mom and my brother. You know, it's actually a pretty good turnout for it. Yeah, it was like, you know, it was like I forgot it. It's like books, so you know what's gonna come so unless you're like Oprah or whatever. But after it was over, I met this woman who ran the show This is Nashville, which was this new it's like the flagship. They're trying to basically make a show in Nashville that would maybe even be picked up nationally. It's called This is Nashville. It's a live, five day a week at noon talk show, call in show, having guests live. It's live. It's the main thing. It's like a live daily show. They fired the lady who originally got me involved in the show. She was the executive producer, so it was like this big thing. I was not a part of the show at that point. I had done one report for her. I ended up doing a report on Mule Day because I said to this woman Andrea, she like my book, so I said, hey, do you guys need a correspondent for the show like that would do stuff that's kind of odd, you know, like Mule Day or the catfish races in Paris, Tennessee, or like the bell Witch Cave. And she was like, I don't know what any of that is because she had just come in to run that show from Kansas City. So I saw an opening because I was like, you're this is a person from Kansas City, so she's not going to know this like Nationville stuff. So she was nice enough to bring me on for Mule Day, which you guys can find. I could share it somehow or when I post the show on my on my Instagram. I'll put links to it or whatever. But yeah, yeah, I've already promoted it on my show. But it's me going to Mule Day and interviewing people with a with a you know, just like a fucking zoom recorder.
Speaker 1: What is Mule Day.
Speaker 5: It's a festival. It's been going on since the eighteen forties in rural like an hour outside of Nashville.
Speaker 1: And it's just like a.
Speaker 5: Mule parade, and like, yeah, people camp out all week and they have like cover bands and stuff. You know. It's just kind of a jamboree that I always read about when I lived here in the early two thousands, and I want wonder what it was about. So anyway, the new guy, the guy who's in charge of the show now, just said, hey, I love that Mule Day thing. Would you like to do a regular thing? So I said, hell yeah. And I think the election helped, just in the sense that thirteen thousand votes meant I had an audience. I think, you know, I think that was just sort of a I don't think they maybe looked at it that cynically, but I mean, I think you could say my whole report tomorrow is about fascism and it's going to be on the fucking radio.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: And it's it's very very because that's what I ran on. But the thing is, when I ran on it, people loved that message. I mean they were dying for it, you know what I mean. That's the thing is like if I just went to them, I think if I hadn't run with this, like, oh, I just want to talk to talk about fascism for twenty five.
Speaker 4: Minutes, They're like, who the fuck are you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, they might say like, well, well, you know, but I had people thanking me for saying the things we took, the things you talk about on this show all the time, just like that. Billionaires have corrupted things to the point where if you are dealing with the definition of fascism, like the economic version of fascism is just private interest taking over the ostensibly public government. And you know, we couldn't have that worse right, And that's why the federal government is like such a joke. I mean, it's just like been everyone there has been paid to do nothing, I mean, just to jam stuff up, so there's just no way to even legislate. So now I realized, shit, I'm doing this report about why I ran for office. That's what the one that's coming out tomorrow is, And why I ran for office is because I looked at the roads in my neighborhood, and I looked at the unhoused people in my neighborhood. And then I realized that they were giving you know, like over a billion dollars in public money to the NFL to build a new stadium. And I was just like, this doesn't compute, you know what I mean. That was how it really started for me. So I went and asked this guy. I just parked my car. I was like, I'm going to talk to this guy. So I ran down there with this microphone. They gave me this all in one microphone that has a what do you call it, a SD card in the bottom of it. It's like a standalone levels itself. It's called a yellow Tech. I don't know anyways, just a one for me. It's like you know, old man journalists. I mean, it's like press one button and you don't have to do anything right right, and it's all in there, I mean except forget someone to take the SD card out with a pair of tweezers or whatever and put it in them in the in the beat tradition, whatever happens to those SD cards after you've taken out of the I have no idea. Whatever you have to make, yeah, and then you put it in, Yeah, you drop it in the federal nail box.
Speaker 4: What kind of SD card is it? Tool top?
Speaker 5: Who knows? Yeah, it could be. I think it's a toll charge. I think it's a large Yeah. Yeah, it's like a standard super dupe. I was the stands for super Dupa, right, yeah? Yeah, yeah, standard super duper cards. So I just yeah, I send that straight to I take it to either photo mat or.
Speaker 4: And I asked the kind guy there to help me, please.
Speaker 5: Here, Yeah, I'd like to develop this SD card.
Speaker 1: Oh jeez, he's back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the guy who has the audio files on the SD card, Yeah, I don't know. He doesn't have an email, he says.
Speaker 5: So if you guys listen, I will send you guys the thing for tomorrow when it's when it's out and.
Speaker 1: They tomorrow being Friday or tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Tomorrow being you guys are this show is going to be on next tuesdayisoe?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: This is tomorrow's Thursday in real life, tomorrow's Thanksgiving, So it's coming out on Thanksgiving and then there's a and the show is called This is Nashville and the host is named Khalil Echlone.
Speaker 1: Well we'll link off to this on Tuesday.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, Christy, now there's there's some really I think consequential news in the world of music that we also really we must get your take.
Speaker 1: We have to get your take on.
Speaker 9: You remember Hall and Oats, we and yeahs I've seen Oats is mustache and a bag at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: Is that real?
Speaker 5: No, it's not.
Speaker 1: That would be.
Speaker 5: But then you're like dismantled, so it just looks like a bag of hair. It is like he didn't want it reconstructed.
Speaker 1: Our writer JM calls Hall of Notes your parents dentist's favorite musical duo. I it's not, I think right, Well.
Speaker 4: Then I'm guessing I'm your parents' favorite dentist.
Speaker 5: Or case that was like a seventeen year old who's never done anything separate play video games.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's right.
Speaker 2: Hall and Oates are no Minecraft.
Speaker 1: No, but all of Notes have some hits. What happened to jazz man, holloas jazz and yacht rock? Baby? But right now, Hall is suing Oats, though nobody knows exactly why. Court documents are sealed, but it's just been revealed that Hall filed emotion for a temporary restraining order against Oates and Darryl Hall apparently went on Bill Maher's Club random show last year, Switch Again. It looks like, yeah, just an anthropomorphic can of XE bodies right, the renovated suburb room. It's so awful. But anyways, it's like Bill Maher and his other really friends, like famous friends who are like everyone else is a fucking idiot except us, right.
Speaker 4: Right right, Daryl Hall narcissist exactly.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: Every single version was like that has gotten into like cancel culture, Like you know, I'm sure yeah Hall is probably like I'm so tired of being told what to do?
Speaker 1: Yes, of course, I mean was it.
Speaker 4: I mean, from my perspective, right, Daryl Hall, I was like just narrowly. I was like, well, he was the one whose voice was killing it all the time, so I'm like, that's that's the guy. And what we're just saying, like John Oates was just kind of like they get like you're just playing guitar right and backing them up, Like is there like was the perception like John Oates wasn't doing much like Daryl Hall was, because like the way Daryl Hall talks, he talks like he talks like he's like I was doing all the heavy lifting. Okay, we were just making some ship.
Speaker 5: You've heard him say that he's acting like that for real.
Speaker 1: Darryl Hall said, you think John Oates is my partner. He's my business partner. He's not my creative partner.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So like he's treating he's treating John Oates like he's our Garfunkle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, he's trying to do how.
Speaker 1: It has gone down in pop culture. His like there's that comedy band Garfunkle and Oates, that's like these are the also rams right famous duos.
Speaker 5: But oh right, I didn't even get that. Oh my god. I just you just explained that I've never understood that. I was like Garfunkle and Oates is somehow just because I was involved in the Los Angeles comedy scene. They were in my you know, yeah never, but I was like, I get it.
Speaker 4: Kate mccoochee and Ricky Lindhome, right.
Speaker 5: You never got it. I never understood. Man, that's one those graduate school jokes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to your point, like Darryl Hills or Darryl Hall always seemed like both the one who gets the most credit and also the one who's probably the most has the most public facing sociopathic tendencies and right, so it's always interesting to take a step back and be like, is he really deserves the credit?
Speaker 5: Did they say why oats or no?
Speaker 4: Everyone's like it's completely flabbergasted.
Speaker 1: Two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just like he's getting a restraining order and they're like everyone's just describing as like mysterious.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's under seal.
Speaker 5: Okay, well I don't Darryl Hall, you know, I think at one time was was was probably a nice person, but I mean, he seems like ever since he started having that show live at Darryl's house, I think was off the air now for a while, but it was on time six years from I'm not familiar with us.
Speaker 4: It was a fucking it was like come fucking worship me at my house and we'll perform a little bit. But also like see low like all kinds of artists would go and perform and like they would maybe do one of their songs, you do what maybe do a Holland Oaates cover and then just like talk about like just talking like with Darryl and his like you know session guys that he's with.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and like some sort of like studio made of repossessed barnwood or you know, ress repurposed, repurpose repossessed barn woods a different thing. That's when you get to take it back. But you know, it was a nasty show in the sense that it was like I saw the side of Darryl Hall where it's like he won't he thinks people want to watch meat dinner, you know, like they ate dinner on the show and drank wine on the show. And it's the same way I felt about watching that show with any any show where rich people eat food and that's the show. Is like I can't even make me so angry. I can't even Who's the guy who directed like Spider Man and all also like Swingers, John John Favreau. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that guy, Like he had a show where it was like dinner with John Favreau And I immediately I had nothing against John favreaull and I immediately hated, Like I was like that motherfucker.
Speaker 1: Right that you get and the podcasting. Yeah, no, just like I'm a rich person and people will necessarily be interested in seeing me hang out with my friends, and because.
Speaker 4: Like you know, my other friends are also rich and famous too, so like in that way they could hang out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just Daryl, No, Daryl Hall, just Daryl Hall. In that on that show, you realized he had become so surrounded with douchebags that he obviously thought he was like the ruler of the earth. He was so surrounded by yes people, and he's in his bubble. He probably never hasked to leave his compound, and then just people, famous people come visit him, like yeah, promo show. You know, you'd be on Darryl Hall's show, and John Oates was nowhere to be seen on that show. So I don't know where John Oates was, but he was not getting any of that money, I don't think from a live at Darryl's house. He pitched live at Oates's house and nobody's like sorry.
Speaker 7: Sorry, Yeah, they're like what's called called bowl of oats with John Oates's meal, live with his back house.
Speaker 4: Right and Oates's grain shed. Oh boy. But like the fucking the Darryl. There's one Live at Daryl's House episode that I will never like. Back when there was like DVR t VO type shit, I always kept it on there because there's an episode where se Lo is performing at his house and se Lo is a fucking obviously like his he's like a great like he can sing right and they're singing I can't go for that, and like Selo is just like doing his own version, put a little spice on it, and then you can tell Darryl Hall is kind of like he's like, this fucking guy thinks he's gonna fucking outdo me. This shit's called Live at Darryl's House. And then Darryl Hall comes in for like the second verse, and the way he comes in, it's like you can tell he's like, I gotta summon every bit of energy. I have to fucking just blow out se Loo right now because he's out doing me on my own show. And I was like, ah, but when I saw that, I was like, Okay, you can't even.
Speaker 1: You can't even just the monitors pointing to his headphones being like take me up, take me out.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I can't go no.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He goes, I can't go for being.
Speaker 4: And like he just tried. Yeah anyway, so you hate to see it, but who knows. I'm sure it all it's probably all boiling down to some disagreement over like rights and Royal going to get more money or so, or maybe John Oates like like performed a songs.
Speaker 2: What I fucking say, John?
Speaker 5: Or yeah, John Oates said, like John Oates implied that he Well, I guess you couldn't sue someone for just implying that they wrote more than or something, right, But John Oates is probably the victim here, I'm guessing. I mean, the guy's been second banana already, and for this guy to sue him on top of that just seems cruel and unusual, especially when he has all that Darryl Garrel's house money and he's been eating lobster on TV while while Oats is at home eating TV dinners.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, you know, with this half the money nothing more humbles.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So come Hall versus Oats loser? Yeah, you want to hang out, You want to have a drink in this hall or you want to hang out in some Oats.
Speaker 5: So Hall said. So Hall and Oates have this song called don't I'm just a kid. Don't make me feel like a man on one of their earlier records, which is a I think it's on Abandoned luncheon At. Their early stuff is great. I think they were probably nice back then, both of them, maybe because they were like came up from you know, nothing, really. I don't think any of them like their dad was anybody or anything. I think they just came up from Philadelphia and they loved R and B and they they you know, they made some good R and B songs, and then they they were also kind of a little folk here and the beginning and that that's Abandoned Luncheonet, which is my shit. It's kind of like easy listening kind of stuff. When the morning comes, there's a song I recommend highly off of band in Lunchonet. Anyway, they the hell am I talking about brain wipe? Remember when I had a brain wipe? We had to stop the show and I'd eat.
Speaker 2: A hard.
Speaker 4: John Oates, is that where you're gonna say? Oh?
Speaker 5: So I had a radio show in Nashville and I was always trying to get the guys from Bread to call in the band Bread Ye.
Speaker 1: The show was called Yah Yes.
Speaker 5: It was on from two thousand and five thousand and nine, and we realized we had no nobody listening to us, like nobody from management, so we just went crazy. And anyway, they I was just trying to get Bread to call in because I knew a couple of the guys from the band Bread lived in Nashville, and no one ever did. But one time I played I'm just a kid, Don't make Me Feel like a man, and I was like, that sounds creepy. And we got a phone call from one of the guys who played in the Hall and Oates band, and he said, we were all like thirty and we had to play that song and it gave us the creeps, and we we also think that sounds creepy. That was that was like for me, that felt like, I don't know, they agreed, that felt like finding a whole teapot under the planes, a tool top tea pot, tool top, teapot.
Speaker 4: Top Pothecary from the Dakota Territories.
Speaker 1: Chris crofton amazing having you as always so fun.
Speaker 5: I miss you, guys, but I'm so glad to be back on And you guys are looking good. You guys are looking good. Yeah, it's just like preserved an amber.
Speaker 4: Thank you like a mosquito from.
Speaker 1: Joined and said that you were surprised that we were still alive. Yeah, that's a great way to enter any conversation, you old son of a bitch. I can't believe you're still seeing.
Speaker 5: You only in these little cube screens. I don't know where you are.
Speaker 1: You're not watching Welcome to Jack's House on YouTube. Yeah, you're not catching me there. Oh you gotta check it out, man.
Speaker 5: This is like you eating lobster with like me eating tom Ardold or whatever.
Speaker 1: It's meeting lobster with various canceled celebrity friends of mine.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, that's a good show.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Oh that's just like a total hate watch. It's Tucker Carlson, Roseanne and like Doja Cat eating lobster or something. You're like, what the fuck is?
Speaker 5: And Jack be like, I'm not with these guys.
Speaker 4: But this is my house and I didn't fight them.
Speaker 1: Where Chris can people find you and follow you?
Speaker 5: You can find me at the crofton show on Twitter and you can find me well Twitter, what's left a twitter x? You can find me in aux Yeah, at the crofton Show at at Instagram whatever Instagram at the Crofton Show. And then you can go find my book, The Advice King Anthology. Just get it from Amazon. You don't have to buy it from Vanderbilt University. Just please get it in your hands. I went on a tour with Neil Hamburger recently and I sold twenty books in four days to dive Barrow people. You would get a dive bar person buying a book a hell of an experience like this guy.
Speaker 2: I know I don't look like I read, but I'm like, you know, I'll read it right now.
Speaker 5: So exactly, he was so drunk he said he read books and bought a book. So go buy The Advice King Anthology.
Speaker 1: I don't care how you get it.
Speaker 5: It's a great Christmas present, great Christmas present. So, uh, The Advice King Anthology. And I don't care if you buy from Amazon. Go ahead, and uh, I mean, because it's got the information in it that will overthrow Amazon. And also that's it. Just go listen to This is Nashville and I'll link to that and all my I'll send Jack and Miles the links.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and go overthrow Amazon. Is there work a media that you've been enjoying you.
Speaker 5: Know, I'm just going to say, because I'm never good at finding that the things anymore, I'm just gonna say, check out Neil Hamburger's new record because he's he's made a record with like he wrote the lyrics and his friend Eric Poparosi, who plays drums sorry guitar in the Cat Power Band, wrote the music, and he has guest vocalists, so like he has like a Bonnie Prince Billy and that Puddles the clown guy And anyway, it's just kind of a really interesting, really interesting record, and it's a sweet it's like a theme album about spending Christmas in a cheap motel and it's called Seasonal Depression. Sweet. And I just did this tour with Greg Turkington for one five day tour in October and it was the greatest experience ever. And just to let people know that Greg is such a nice guy and I want to support his project.
Speaker 1: Amazing Miles. Where can people find you as their workidmedia you've been enjoying.
Speaker 4: Uh, find me on the at base places like Twitter, Instagram, threads, even at Miles Gray threads, even cutting Edge. You know you know what it is and let's see you find Jack and I obviously on the basketball podcast the NBA Boosties, where we were talking all kinds of basketball.
Speaker 1: Going on fresh smack, you know, cool stuff, neat cool stuff, neat stuff. Is it Bowfinger where it's I think it's Steve Martin says, your smack is so fresh.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: You so fresh man.
Speaker 4: That Eddie like the nerd version of Eddie or the other route. Let me see if I just I just love that scene where we have to cross the freeway. Yeah, anyway, and then you can find me on four twenty with Sophia Alexander or we talk about ninety day Fiance and hey, if you're taking you know you're hitting the road, you want to listen to some easy true crime stuff that's not about people getting murdered and it's actually cool. Check out The Good Thief. I host that, and it's about our search for the Greek robin Hood.
Speaker 5: Let's see I didn't know that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's about this guy who's broke out of greases like equip of Alcatraze many times by helicopter and then would like kidnap billionaires.
Speaker 1: The helicopter prison escape. Underrated art that Europe is really good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think it's just weird. I think because it's everything is so militarized here that like you can get away with me, Like yeah, you just fly a fucking helicopter into a prison yard and take off with somebody and then let's see a piece of media. Like I don't know if I'm gonna like it, but I believe the squid Game, the real life Squid Game, fucking TV challenge shows is out and I'm.
Speaker 1: Going to watch that on Wednesday. I think, Oh, did you see it? No, Jam, start watching it though.
Speaker 4: Oh oh yes, we talked about it together, Miles. I know, but I'm saying I'm going to watch it, like now I know that, I know, I know what the talk about it is, but now I need to see with my own eyes, myne own eyes, exactly exactly. So yeah, I'm gonna well, I'm gonna check in on that probably.
Speaker 1: By the way, you're sa So Fresh is from John mcginley's performance as the Jim Rome character in Any Given Sunday talking to Willie Beamon so fresh, so long time and truthful, give me a pound dog, and Willy Bean's like, what the fuck that should have been? In my head.
Speaker 4: We went from Bowfinger to Oliver Stones football movie.
Speaker 1: Hey man, there's some there's some brilliant moments in any given Sunday and also overall not a great movie.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: But you can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien some tweets I've been enjoying. Obviously, I've been liking a lot of Dan White just generally, Damn White never steers me wrong. And I also liked this tweet in regards to the story that we talked about. You know, Variety posted Darryl Hall gets her staying order against John Oates and Hall of Oates legal battle, and then Sam Stefanik retweeted that and said, Ryan Murphy types the words Haul versus Oh, it's so hard that all his fingers fracture. Probably half mate.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Twitter at daily zeikes ad D, Daily Zeikeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fan page or website daily zeikeust dot com where we post our episodes and our footnote. We look off the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy. Miles, is there a song that you think people might enjoy.
Speaker 4: I think there're gonna enjoy this one. This is an artist called jazz Tronic t r n O I t r o n I k Uh and he's this Japanese DJ who's like just putting together like fusiony jazz beats together repurposed and it's like really really interesting. This track is called kee Zudu h I zu are you and it's the jazz Tronic remix. So just try that on, you know, some some wacky stuff. So what happened to jazz? Well, it's people flipping it making stuff with it today.
Speaker 1: All right, Well we will link off to that in the footnotes. The daily Isyite guys are the production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio is the iHeartRadio ap Apple podcast or wherever you listen to your favorite shows, that is going to do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what is trending and we will talk to you all then. Bye bye bye