Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn the stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Noel.
Speaker 3: They called me Ben.
Speaker 4: We're joined as always with our super producer Alexis codename Doc Holliday Jackson. Most importantly, you are here, and that makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. It is the top of the week, and you know what that means. Fellow conspiracy realist, It is time for some strange news. We're gonna learn a little bit about a real life Yogi bear at the end, just as a palate cleanser. It turns out the newest jet stealth technology is pretty good, and we're going to investigate something that has disturbed all of us, I think over in Los Angeles. Before we do any of that, we're going to we're going to tell you a story that it appears the West would rather you not know. We were talking about this a little bit off air because we do continually text each other. Weren't a very strange romance. So so you guys ever heard of Armenia?
Speaker 5: You know, Ben I mentioned this in our group texts. I'm going to go ahead and cop to it. Everything I've learned about the political struggles in Armenia I learned from the band system of a.
Speaker 2: Down AH great band.
Speaker 5: Ye are a great band, one of the few bands of that air that hold up, and they are Armenian and a lot of their song lyrics are about some of the genocide in Armenia and things like that in the past.
Speaker 3: But I'm sadly not up to speed.
Speaker 2: Well. Back in twenty fifteen, NOL, just before you officially came on, we did an episode on genocide, specifically focusing on AH might say it wrong, meds Jeggern Jergen. I don't know how to say it correctly. I apologize everyone quote the great evil crime of the Armenian genocide. And that's when. That's the only time I've really spent a lot of time in that headspace. I guess learning about the country and the politics.
Speaker 4: What's happening now is not being widely reported, perhaps with the same level of diligence that you will read in terms of Western reporting on the Ukrainian conflict with Russia. Here's what you need to know, folks. Quite recently, the nation of Azerbaijan. It's kind of like the peak best of the stands. I'm doing Beatles jokes inappropriately. Azerbaijan has attacked an enclave of Armenia. And while this is happening, they are committing war crimes. They are using state level military tactics against civilians. Turkey is refusing to help Turkey, of course, being the number one fanboys of eliminating all Armenian people. The Armenian genocide to which you refer Matt occurred in nineteen fifteen. Nineteen sixteen, but again history is way closer than it looks in the rear view mirror. More than a million people probably died, executed civilians, and this was a genocide. I really appreciate you pointing out our earlier episode on genocide, because we know, we know the word itself gets a bit legalistic, right, and some people feel that they own the phrase genocide.
Speaker 5: Well, it's like also a phrase that maybe maybe I'm wrong. Is there a spectrum within which the term genocide exists or is it referring to something very specific?
Speaker 4: That's the debate you will have often at the United Nations right, and in criminal courts around the world. No country wants to be identified as a perpetrator of genocide. And we might lose our ability to enter Turkey for saying this. The nation of Turkey, but not the people of Turkey. The government of Turkey has been attempting to erase the existence of Armenia for quite some time, for more than a century now, if not earlier. And here's what happened. So if you look at a map, if you pull up a map of Azerbaijan and Armenia, and you'll see that they are neighbors. To the north of them is Georgia. And Georgia as a country is I'm gonna be honest, it's a little bit cooler than Georgia, the state in the US. And then there's Russia right right to the northeast. Armenia shares a border with Turkey and Iran. In the old days of the USSR, due entirely to geography, Armenia was a Soviet state, and when the USSR fell toward what the West calls the end of the Cold War, they retained security agreements. The Federated States of Russia said, look, we had a good run. You know, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Armenia, et cetera. All the stands, but we will maintain security agreements. Uncle Sam has done little to nothing to protect Armenian civilians from attacks. And as as we were talking about, because we're super fun in our group text, as we're as we were talking about earlier geography decides all, hang.
Speaker 3: On, oh, let's keep this, let's keep this in.
Speaker 4: I got a cat scratching these things.
Speaker 2: Well, hey, while you're while you're dealing with that, Ben, I just wanted to back you up on that point about how the US hasn't really done anything. I was recalling as you were talking about that back in twenty twenty one, the current president, Joe Biden, President of the United States, he had made a campaign promise to recognize the Armenian genocide, and it was made public in twenty twenty one that he was going to come forward and you know, and it's so weird with diplomacy. He was just going to say out loud at a podium that the United States recognizes the genocide around you know that that April date when it's recognized and just recognized. Yeah, just any but Turkey came forward. It was basically like, hey, you really shouldn't. You shouldn't do that. It's really going to harm ties with Turkey, so you really shouldn't. But he did it anyway, So I mean, it's again, it's not doing anything, but it's crazy that just recognizing it is such a big diplomatic move one way or the other.
Speaker 4: Right, similar to to one and China, perhaps similar to some other things closer to home, folks, We would love to hear your opinion. This is what's happening now. As the West was reporting on Ukraine. As the West was talking about I don't know whatever is happening with celebrities. The Russian Empire and its current state fell, and when in any empire falls, it's a lot like a whale sinking to the bottom of the seafloor. Skavs appear Armenia had a security agreement with a state that can no longer support that agreement. At the same time, on the chess board, the nation of Turkey has joined NATO. NATO is a tricky group project. If you're in NATO and you say nah, don't do it, then everybody else in NATO will have to say a this guy doesn't want it, so NATO and therefore the United States are likely not going to help again these innocent people. The issue is here that it's like if you bought insurance or you invested in stocks for a company that no longer exists, how will you how will you retain that investment? That's the question.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: Azerbaijan is a country that, in full disclosure, those of us on the show today would have a hard time visiting. We could get in, but getting out becomes a different conversation, primarily due to the proximity of Iran and Armenian. Now as we're recording, there's a ceasefire broker by ostensibly the Russian government, but that ceasefire is probably not going to hold because what Azerbaijan is attacking is an enclave of Armenian people and Armenian against civilian population in a place called Nigrno Karabakh no Gorno karabak Is. It's weird if you look at a map because it's outside of the legal borders of Armenia, but the people living there they're all Armenian. And Azerbaijan was kind of like a bad dog when Russia held the leash and Russia has its own thing to fry. So to be clear, to your point, nol system of a down, absolutely right. I don't care how people feel about math rock. First off, they are good at math rock. But secondly they are right in that the West is ignoring war crimes against civilians. I don't know, maybe the West wants us blissfully ignorant. What do you guys think?
Speaker 5: Is this in some way a continuation of the war crimes of the past. Again, I wasn't in on that episode. I am woefully underschooled. Can you kind of give us a little bit more context?
Speaker 3: Maybe? Yes?
Speaker 4: Sure, So, first thing, we all must acknowledge geography determined civilizations. Azerbaijan has the coast of the Casbian Sea, and to the west of Azerbaijan is Armenia, sandwiched between Azerbaijan and Turkyer and to the south by Irad. We're keeping Georgia out of the conversation because they might be in the same boat later if this chaos continues. This to be clear, this is a future episode and we're just giving a quick primer here. There is no shame, no judgment, no condescension. During World War One, the Ottoman Empire, which is like the For conservative Turkish politicians, it's like the Confederacy, but way longer and way more successful. During World War One, the Ottoman Empire sought to systematically destroy Armenia as a nation, as a concept, and as a people.
Speaker 2: This is true.
Speaker 4: Doesn't matter if this gets us in trouble with the leaders of Turkey. It is simply factual. They tried to kill every Armenian person and the issues there After World War One, of course, the Ottoman Empire, which honestly always kind of sucked it fell and the USSR came into being, became a global power, became a hedgemon and started to take control of anything within its sphere of influence. And that counts all the stands, that counts all of like the Georgias, the Eastern europe countries, Eastern European countries that counts Armenia, and Armenia was for a time tacitly protected. Armenia due to geography, could not ever crack a deal with NATO or the US. And when Russia fell, and Russia is a collapse state now, folks. When Russia fell, the government of Azerbaijan in cooperation with the government of Turkey conspired and does conspire to erase these people. It's always been the genocide question that that is the ultimate aim. If we could, we would love to ask for your help. Fellow conspiracy realist one eight three three STDWYTK conspiracy Diheartradio dot com. Want to end this segment with a message from an Armenian contact of ours who is outside of the country. We have changed some of the specifics in the interest of protecting the innocent. Here it is Armenians are seeing their worst nightmare come true. Every single one of us was raised with stories of the horrors of the Armenian genocide. My namesake, my great grandmother, hid under dead bodies while her family was slaughtered. The person writing to us, by the way, is about the same age as you, if you're listening to the show. She and her sister survived, but their losses mark them forever. Like in many traditional families, my great grandmother and grandparents lived with my parents and siblings, all under one roof. My grandmother died only speaking Turkish, having lost her mother tongue. I was raised by a family very active in passing legislation commemorating the Armenian genocide in the United States, we skip school every year on April twenty fourth to gather at city Hall never again. We said, well, make no mistake that what is happening now is Erdigon, the leader of Turkey and Aliev taking care of unfinished business. To them, we are only sub human pest in the way of a united Turkish Empire. Children in Azerbaijan are taught this in grade school.
Speaker 2: Heavy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's super heavy, just to grow up kind of in the shadow of that, you know, the specter of that, kind of it.
Speaker 3: Just feels like you wouldn't be able to feel truly safe.
Speaker 2: It makes me realize how disconnected I am personally from that part of the world. News coming out of that part of the world, culturally, that part of the world, everywhere around there. I didn't realize that last year in twenty twenty two, Turkey went to the UN and changed the spelling of the name of the Republic of Turkey. Then you were pronouncing it a little differently than I had heard before, and I was like, oh, oh, that's why, cause I looked at a map for the first time and looked at Turkey for the first time, and I don't know when maybe since that twenty fifteen episode, and I was just like, again, the disconnect is so strong. It makes me really sad listening to that message.
Speaker 4: You know why they changed the name Matt No true story. They got pissed about how turkey in English is a description of a somewhat dickish, flightless bird. They're mad about turkeys, just like us.
Speaker 3: We talked about that's so funny, That is so funny.
Speaker 4: That was their thing. Yeah, yeah, So we are going to hopefully do an episode on this in the future. If you are listening in that part of the world, if you have loved ones in that part of the world, tell us your stories. We cannot emphasize this enough. It is easy, in a world of ubiquitous communication and constant headlines, it is devilishly and damnably easy to forget that the world exists and other things are happening there. So help us spread the word, help us learn more, Take us to the edge of the rabbit hole. We have your back, folks. We're going to go to a commercial break, and then we are going to We're going to explore a pretty fascinating story about just how good Uncle Sam's jet stealth technology is, but maybe not the seats.
Speaker 5: And we're back ben beautiful pre ad T's here.
Speaker 3: I think we've all been keeping an eye on this story about a very expensive aeroplane that went missing.
Speaker 5: How does that happen? You might ask, how could we let this happen? Well, the Lockheed Martin F thirty five B a variant of the F thirty five, which is specifically designed for the Marine Corps. It has a nifty feature that allows it to take off and like hover mode so that it can take off from an aircraft carrier. Well, someone, a pilot who has not been named, was taking one of these out on a training maneuver whatever you want to call it, and for whatever reason, ejected from a cockpit. And then weirdly, the plane kept flying for quite a long time.
Speaker 3: People saw it on a beach, like, took videos of it and for a little while, for a couple of days at least, it was a mystery.
Speaker 2: And you know, the.
Speaker 3: Government literally was like it was almost like they were putting like milk carton pictures.
Speaker 5: You know, have you seen this plane? Here's a phone number. You know, we missed our little we miss our baby. Please help us bring our baby home. Our one hundred million dollar baby.
Speaker 4: It was like if you're a kid in playing baseball and you hit the ball in a nice home run into a neighbor's yard or somewhere, and you're like, hey, guys, no harm, no foul. If you happened to see you described it perfectly, no missing pet posters.
Speaker 3: It's hilarious.
Speaker 5: I mean, at the end of the day, the takeaway of it, there was a couple of takeaways of the story.
Speaker 3: One a one hundred million dollar war toy can go missing, and two said one hundred million dollar war toy may have some issues. It seems like there have been other instances of some potential snags in this Lockheed Martin design, and some of them relate specifically to the ejector seat. It's my understanding, and y'all please keep me in check here that this particular variance, again because of its ability to take off in land like a helicopter, always makes me think of the X men jet, you know whatever, whatever it's called, the X Wing.
Speaker 5: I don't know it's it's it was like that. It was like a hover thing, and I guess at the time that like didn't exist. Maybe this is definitely I mean, I know there are aircraft that can do this, but it feels like it's it's pretty intensely you know, cutting edge technology.
Speaker 4: You might be thinking of the Avengers, Quinn Jet, the x Men jets, a Blackbird.
Speaker 3: That's right, I think he caught me.
Speaker 5: I think I was thinking of the Avengers jet that has the vertical landing thing, because it had like jets that would kind of flip upside down like shooting rockets. You know, that's not quite how that would work. Probably, I don't quite understand. It's beyond my pay grade the technology that allows them to do this. But again, this variant, because of the ability that it has to take off vertically and land vertically, Apparently the ejector seat has like an auto eject function. That's what I'm saying, you know that saying exactly specifically on this variant. The other ones are different. You have to initiate the eject sequence. Eject sequence initiated in the other models. So the question you all might be asking, or have asked, I'm sure, is Oh, by the way, we also talked about this off Mike. They are describing the event that led to the ejection as a what was the word been a mishap, A mishap, right, yeah, and aviation parlance, apparently that is a word that means we don't want to talk about it, or we can't tell you about it, or we don't know it's some sort of technical difficulty a glitch, and that's it would make sense, you know this Apparently the program for these f thirty fives has ballooned to over one point seven trillion dollars. What no way not to get on a soapbox here, But it makes me really sick when the government pleads poverty about things like education and welfare services and just general humanitarian aid for its citizens. Like, you know, I have insurance, but my health care sucks and it's like expensive no matter what, and not God forbid people that don't have insurance. And yet we're spending one point seven trillion dollars on these war toys. And I know I'm being flippant. I know it's about offense. I know we have to maintain supremacy and the air and the sea and all of that stuff, or at least the illusion thereof. But I feel like, you know, we we've we've we've done stories about them spending millions of dollars on like coffee warmers.
Speaker 3: You know, it just seems like it's the military is a money pit.
Speaker 2: Are you trying to take money out of Lockheed Martin's pocket? Bro?
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean this guy. I know, man, I know it's a hot take for sure.
Speaker 4: But no, you're right.
Speaker 2: You're right.
Speaker 4: Eisenhower would agree with you in the most controversial speech he made. You know, this is every bomb dropped right, every every defense R and D project could have made. How many libraries could have fed? How many children? It's a good question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they are making f thirty five B lightning twos, which is like a fat ass.
Speaker 5: Videos the New Jordan's, don't get me wrong.
Speaker 3: That's why. Look again, I'm I'm not trying to be flip. I'm calling it a war toy.
Speaker 5: Because that's just kind of what it feels like to me. It just sounds like a cool ass, you know, plaything.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: And apparently this one had some issues because again I'm sorry, I sort of got ahead of myself, or at least derailed myself. The question you might be asking is why would this eject sequence happen and then the plane continue to fly for more than sixty months. This critical thing could have happened that caused this pilot to be ejected, and then the plane just whoop, there it is, look at it go.
Speaker 3: You know it would weep there it is.
Speaker 2: Would be really messed up if it was just like some software issue and the AU auto eject just occurred. And he's like, wait, what, this.
Speaker 4: Is why we do training though, this is why you gotta take it around the block, you know what I mean. The problem is these test drives occur hundreds of millions of dollars later, and again I was an absolute terrible entity on Twitter. You guys saw it, and I was just saying, hey, it turns out that new Stealth is pretty top notch.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a big part of Yeah, like where to go?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Your question? No, you know it reminded me. I want to go back to this amazing analogy you make with a lost pet, which is, like you've seen it countless times, folks. If you live in an area where people are safe enough to have domestic animals, someone might have their dog on a leash and the dog runs away and the owner is like, nah, I don't have the land speed to catch this little guy. I guess I got to go home and print some posters. But the parachuting thing, the ejection thing, I think that's a good measure to have, because if you're counting on only voluntary ejection, then other variables enter into the game, right, Like what if the pilot passes out? What if the pilot is some one hundred estated.
Speaker 5: Geez right, like you could you can pass out from G force. There's a lot of butt ifs for.
Speaker 2: Dansure do what you got, Matt, Well, Okay, so this is what we know from the AP news article that came out when this was like first happening. This is what I read. At least, it was stating that the warplane, the jet was only flying at about one thousand feet altitude, which is super low for one of these massive planes.
Speaker 5: That's lower than cruising altitude for a commercial flight.
Speaker 3: Yeah lower, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yah yeah yah yeah yeah, like twenty nine thousand feet lower whatever, I mean something like that.
Speaker 4: It's like low enough that someone in rural South Carolina either called nine to one one or they called their militia buddies and said it's happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's weird, right, that's odd to me that because and simply because the problems with like oxygen feed into an aircraft when you get higher in elevation, when the pressure cabin pressure is so great that if you know, you lose some pressure, the pilot could actually exphyxiate or lose oxygen and you'd have problems at a one thousand feet Generally that's not gonna happen, although there are differences in this type of aircraft, and like a passenger aircraft, that's what I'm kind of comparing it too, because that's what I've learned about. But like at a thousand feet, it doesn't feel like it's oxygen or pressurization. It feels like systems something systems internal with.
Speaker 5: One hundred percent, and it it makes me think of like some of these new cars, like I wrote around in a rental car this weekend on a little family trip with some friends, and there's a feature that a lot of these new cars have where if you aren't maintaining lane, or even if you just switch lanes kind of quickly, it beeps at you.
Speaker 3: And honestly, it scared the crap out of us to the point where it was like more of a bug than a feature.
Speaker 5: So I'm wondering if this like auto eject thing that's like an extreme version of this, you know, where it's like whoops and you're in the air well.
Speaker 2: That was a problem with with the It reminds me a lot of that seven thirty seven Max problem where the aircraft itself would nose down because there was a sensor on it now that would be faulty, and it would like try and it thought that it was raising its nose too high, and it would try to compensate, and by trying to compensate, it would send the aircraft directly into the ground or water. Yah.
Speaker 4: Also a boeying thing. And to your point, the seven forty seven also got discontinued as of this year, so they got some complicated math going on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, you know, so the Lockheed Martin got some splaining to do. Let's just say, given all of the R and D that's gone into this program, the cost overruns and again I want to say, there was another issue very similar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 5: Last December and F thirty eight B that hadn't yet been delivered to the Marine Corps crashed at Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth in Texas and it involved use of the hover mode. Apparently it was in hover mode over the airstrip and then started to drop.
Speaker 3: I'm not laughing. This is unfortunate whoever was in there, sure it was terrifying.
Speaker 5: Hit the runway, had a good little bounce, and then the pilot was ejected. It's like some cartoony sound and stuff.
Speaker 3: It just sounds like there's some issues.
Speaker 5: Here with this line, and given how much it costs, it's certainly something to investigate.
Speaker 3: They did again up till a few days ago. This was quite the mystery.
Speaker 5: There are people that posted pictures and images social media of this plane just kind of circling around this beach in North Carolina or South Carolina rather.
Speaker 3: And it was seen.
Speaker 5: I think it's a actually a lake, Lake Moultrie, I believe was the last known location. And I believe just yesterday or maybe even today. I think it was yesterday the wreckage of the plane was discovered. So that's a wrecked that's a wreckt ass plane right there. That's one hundred million dollars you know, down the down the old two Burrinos.
Speaker 3: So still more.
Speaker 5: Questions because again there's calling a mishap, a little whoopsie but you know, I guess maybe, Ben, do you think some of the lack of detail is because of things like national security?
Speaker 3: To your point about yeah.
Speaker 5: It's like it's a it's a it's a missing and visit plane. You know, that's sort of sort of doing what it does and doing it quite well. But I did think it was funny that they literally were like crowdsourcing.
Speaker 3: This, like have you seen our plane?
Speaker 5: Like, yeah, and it's scary what if it had crashed in a civilian, you know, population, Like I don't understand fully how this autopilot technology works, like is it designed to fly indefinitely into self land? Like what why do we even need? Why why aren't they just like drones if they have such an advanced you know, autopilot system.
Speaker 4: Right, is this another? Is this another talking point in the argument for unmanned war craft?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: That's a big part of it, honestly, because to your point, no, we have very limited information as the public. Obviously, the question for anybody who's been on a commercial airplane is what about the transponder? Where is that thing?
Speaker 3: Right? Is it the socks?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, some secret black backs that contacts you in a secret way. If you're in charge of the plane. The F thirty five's do have transponders, and I just have to be.
Speaker 3: Mega encrypted in some way, you know, really like you know.
Speaker 4: Tight supposed to be able to track them. The current scuttle butt that I heard was out of quote unquote private industry defense analyst firms. They say that it's possible this was an error of group projects. Picture one group working on the newest, coolest, best, most safe for the pilot ejection system and not really talking with the group that works on the best, most encrypted transponder or any other component of the craft entire. What if the ejection seat, as JJ Gertler said over at teal group, what if the ejection seat was so powerful that it quote cooked the electronics and the wires and cut off the power to the transponder.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe Well, but the other thing is why and the heck did it happen in the first place, Because if the pilot didn't accidentally or somehow automatically get ejected, that pilot made the decision to eject. So if you go down that route, why would the pilot do that and why would the plane continue for that long? It sounds to me like one of those situations where this you get locked out of a system, right you got your computer freezes or whatever. You have no control anymore. But it's on its auto systems, this stuff, it's still running in the background. Admit, yeah, Well what do you do in that point? If you're that pilot, you you know, make contact withever you can try and fix the problem. If it can't help you and you're still in the plane, what do you do?
Speaker 3: Got that hold music in your little your space helmet.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna put it one thing, and we got to go to an atbreak. But Noel Matt. If I were a defense contractor who wanted to get rid of human pilots and institute a new, very profitable stream of UAV just I would create cases like this wherein human error seems like an easy problem to a But that is not to say the pilot committed any error at all. I'm just saying this is an interesting thing to think about going forward.
Speaker 2: As an evil billionaire prank. Right there, Ben design the ejector seats to just go off randomly automatically in the brand new trillion dollar plane.
Speaker 5: I just want to close out too, with a little bit of a statement that the Marines did release on Monday of this week, saying that General Eric M. Smith, who's the acting commander of the Marines, directed all Marine Corps aviation units to conduct a two day pause in operations. Let's just take a little pause, Let's reset, Let's have a little and do some Let's do some safety training, you know, some trust falls. Let's let's do some team building.
Speaker 3: The statement said.
Speaker 5: The directive came after this is from apm's reading from it after three uh and this is an official term ben class aaviation misapps whoopsies over the last six weeks. Such mishaps involve property damage of two point five million or more according to Marine Corps documents. And the last thing, you got a couple of fun hot takes from the Twitter sphere whatever. Instagram actor Misha Collins wrote under a picture of the jet, that's what they get for leaving the keys in the ignition and other news. Check out my new listing on Craigslist. No low ball offers. Yuck, yuck, yuck.
Speaker 2: Is that Misha from Supernatural?
Speaker 3: I think it is.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. Check out Bridgewater and hear Misha Collins right now.
Speaker 5: No, Wow, I didn't realize that's awesome. Well, I think we're all fascinated by this one. And to your point, Ben.
Speaker 6: Probably not gonna see too much more detail coming out, but this is an interesting glimpse of the stuff that Uncle Sam and Lockheed Martin don't want us to know that they're screwing up.
Speaker 5: Well, let's take a break here, a work more sponsor, and then come back with a more piece of strangeness.
Speaker 2: All right, we're back. And if you've gotten this far into the episode and you've got maybe kids with you or something like that, go ahead and maybe just skip to the next episode and keep going. We're gonna talk about some homicide in this section of the show.
Speaker 3: Unless your kids are into that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, here we are. So very recently, in September, there were two women who have been found separately two days apart, dead in their apartments in Los Angeles. It was well, i'll give you the details here, and these details come from Fox eleven Los Angeles, an article you can read right now titled second model found dead in downtown LA apartment. I'm gonna read you just kind of the subtitle here. Authorities are investigating after two models were found dead in their downtown Los Angeles luxury apartments less than a mile away from me, each other, just two days apart. So immediately before you hear any details, you like us, probably hear that and think, oh wow, I wonder if that's one actor, one person, one serial killer. Right, we got ourselves an unsubb Yeah.
Speaker 4: Is that a criminal minds reference?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I think it's a thing, but like that's they say it.
Speaker 3: All the time, and they're usually referring to serial killers.
Speaker 4: As you're saying, though, Matt, Like, Okay, so two deaths, similar careers or career goals similar? Yeah, that's the question.
Speaker 2: That is the question. And as we're gonna find out. I don't want to spoil it too much, but we do not have enough information from the authorities yet to know. Let me give you the details and we can see why this feels so connected. The first person that was discovered dead is Nicole Nicky to her friend's coats, she was thirty two years old. On September tenth of this year, she was discovered de ceased in her apartment. That apartment is in the seven hundred block of Grand Avenue in Los Angeles. This is basically this is downtown Los Angeles. LAPD officers discovered her when a welfare check was initiated by her family. They were concerned because she stopped responding to communication for a time. Her cause of death, you know that was at least initially announced, was unknown, but recently the LAPD has issued a statement saying that her death is being investigated as a quote death investigation. I don't know what that means, but and perhaps not a homicide specifically investigation just looking into her passing the second victim. So that's one person, Nicole Coates, thirty two years old. I neglected to say that she was a model by profession, as well as some other pursuits that she had. But that's a key thing here because the second person who has found, Melissa Mooney. That's how I'm choosing to pronounce a m al e Sa. She was thirty one years old, also a model, also working as a real estate agent. She was found two days after Nicole on September twelfth, again discovered deceased in her downtown luxury apartment, this time in the two hundred block of South Figueroa Street. Again, LAPD officers show up to her apartment, responding to a welfare check initiated by family because she stopped responding to communication. Her cause of death also listed as unknown at the time, but now LAPD is saying her death is being investigated as a homicide. Curious or and curiouser right.
Speaker 4: This also knowing for anyone unfamiliar with the area. The reason it's important to say that these are luxury apartments is because that includes a certain barrier of secure. So to enter a place like this, you will need codes or cards or keyfobs at least something like that. It's not it's not a random Motel six kind of thing that you can just stroll up to.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but you know what, and let's make a point about this. Something strange at least about several Atlanta luxury apartment complexes I've been to over the years, they have all those systems in place to prevent unwanted entry right both into the complex and into individual sections of that complex. But often I've found and tell me what you guys have seen in your you know, your dealings with luxury apartments are nicer apartment complexes. Often they don't have a ton of security cameras around to actually monitor the grounds at least that's what that's what I've seen.
Speaker 4: The privacy of our tenants, right, it's a top priority.
Speaker 2: And it seems that way, but then it almost it makes it. It's cree to me. It feels like it could potentially be a hunting ground for someone, because if you do go in there, it's like you're a ghost, which is really it's really creepy to me. And I don't know what the situations are like in those two apartment complexes where both of these women were found dead. But I because again it's never stated, at least in any of the reporting I've found, exactly which apartment complexes these are. I'm assuming it's because I don't know. They don't want news crews there. They don't want the bad press for the companies that run the apartments. I don't know.
Speaker 5: Well, one thing I've noticed at some of them maybe that I don't know what qualifies as luxury exactly. But oftentimes these intrigue measures are under maintenance.
Speaker 3: They're not working very well at all.
Speaker 5: You know, a close friend just recently moved out of what I thought was a pretty nice apartment complex. But like security gates would always just be open, like to the garage to the parking garage, and sometimes doors would be propped open and things like that. So to your point, there's not a lot of monitoring of the systems.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, I don't want to do too much personal stuff. But I went to pick up my son the other day and his mom lives in a town home complex thing that has a lot of security, right, and it's very expensive HOA, like crazy expense. I've never seen one that expensive ever in my life.
Speaker 4: Let's do an HOA episode.
Speaker 2: Seriously, so weird, let's bring.
Speaker 3: Some fire to it. As you were saying that.
Speaker 2: Their front gate was just standing open, and I was like, huh, that's weird, okay, because usually you have to I have to call her number to get in, but no, no, no, I just drove right in there like I would was anybody, and uh any similar situation.
Speaker 4: Anyone can share a code, especially if it's the equivalent of you know, like four to six eight digits. Maybe for the nerds you can you can share it and then all of a sudden it's out in the world. There's also there's one thing we got to point out here, Matt, and I think we can all agree on this. Los Angeles as a metropolitan area, has a much higher frequency of people pursuing careers in things like modeling, so such that we need to be careful and exercise objectivity when we're reading headlines that say, oh, two models were murdered. There are many more models in Los Angeles or people pursuing that career than there are in say, Poughkeepsie. And additionally, a lot of people die in Los Angeles. Los Angeles has a huge problem with homicide that does not often get acknowledged. However, to your original point here, man, and I think the reason we're talking about this, how many coincidences can there be? You know, these are people who live very close to each other. L A p d. UH probably most famous for beating the shout of an innocent man a while back.
Speaker 3: L A p. D.
Speaker 4: Is being a little close to the chest with information that could help UH, that could help save innocent people. I don't know, maybe I'm maybe I'm being unfair to L A p H.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't mean.
Speaker 5: We've we've talked about the whole gang mentality and and police departments, and I believe Los Angeles has been notorious for that kind of you know, organizing amongst certain members. I've been I've been rewatching the show The Shield with Michael Chickliss. It's about l A. Hell yeah, it's really good. It holds up. I like it a lot, but it had you know, it covers stuff like this. But yeah, so this is downtown l A I'm looking at. You know, it's funny. Downtown LA feels a lot more like New York. It really feels like a like that kind of city, whereas the rest of LA it's sprawl. You know, it's like it's such a massive metro area. You've got so many different communities spread over this huge, you know, geographical area. But downtown LA is very specific and it really it's very gritty, very Gotham kind of like compared to it doesn't look like any other parts of the city. And it's also where you'll find skid Row, an area known for just like you know, unhoused kind of compounds and sort of and just a lot of crime, a lot of nasty stuff in downtown LA.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, let me just show you guys what I found. I did a minor investigation here because again you only get like the block number and the street in all the reporting. I don't want to throw any apartment complexes under their bus. I don't know if these are the right ones. I found too that fit those descriptions, just so I could estimate how far of a drive, like, how long does a drive take? How long does Okay, So if you if you go to Google Maps, find sky at Bunker Hill Apartments that's in the two hundred block of South Figueroa and eighth and Grand Apartments, which fits the seven hundred block of Grand Avenue, you'll see that it is roughly these two are roughly one to one point one miles away from each other, which again fits the descriptions that we've seen there. And it's roughly a twenty one minute walk if you were just hoofing it on the streets to get there on the shortest route possible, and it would only take five minutes to drive there if you didn't get stuck in some crazy LA traffic. Sure, so again, sorry. The whole reason is that if it was a single operator being that close in distance with two, they're not super similar when you look at the apartment complexes. If these two are in fact the apartment complexes, because they very well may not be. It just it feels like an m O thing, right, if you're matching up an m type of victim. Also, I didn't even mention these are two black women in their early thirties.
Speaker 4: Right, The demographics are very similar, that's.
Speaker 2: Right, So I don't know.
Speaker 4: Well. Also, there's another question here, a couple just housekeeping things, and hopefully law enforcement is I'm sure law enforcement has already figured this out, even if they don't announce it publicly.
Speaker 3: Matt.
Speaker 4: I agree with your estimation regarding the two most likely complexes. Curious to see whether they have one the same or similar owners, and too whether they use the same or similar third party maintenance companies.
Speaker 2: You know, like house good thing.
Speaker 5: That's really smart, Ben, you know someone that would have had access And yeah, obviously no motive, but the it's eerie the similarities between the two women.
Speaker 2: Oh that's messed up. Man. You just put a scenario in my head that I can see really clearly. Right around this time is when HVAC companies go out to do the checks on all the units in individual single family homes as well as multifamily homes. And I see your logic. There have been and I don't like how clear it is.
Speaker 3: No, I think you can hear onto something there.
Speaker 4: Well, we're not. Again, we are not the official investigators, and we're being very careful, I think, to not allege things that we cannot prove.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: We also have to point out that, you know, sometimes people want a spectacle, right, want to believe that there is an active serial murderer, when in fact those entities are quite rare. The truth of the matter is, to your points, the truth of the matter is that two innocent people died, Yes, died in close proximity, both in terms of their careers and in terms of their geographic location. And it's heartbreaking, you know what I mean, Like imagine being what is it Sharon Coates, Nikki's mom, Yeah, and saying why won't the police investigate this as a homicide? To the point you made earlier, why is one a quote unquote death investigation and the other is a homicide investigation? This is troubling.
Speaker 2: Let me give you a quote here from ABC Channel seven, who spoke with I think I would say Shanaya Mason, who is Nichole's cousin, This is her quote. It just didn't look right to us, didn't look right how she was positioned on the bed. She was even unrecognizable as if she'd been beat they had to identify her by her tattoos. So that is Nichole's cousin speaking on the state of Nicole when she was discovered in her apartment. To me, like a homicide investigation, right, I don't know, maybe not. That sounds like one to me. If someone appears to be physically beaten and they're found dead, that is Nicole is the person who LAPD currently says it is a quote death investigation rather than a homicide investigation. I don't have much information about Melissa and how she was found or anything like that, or statements from the family, but I do have a statement from the LAPD which was given to San Francisco Gate on September nineteenth. Really quickly, here we go. Since their discovery, LAPD Central Bureau Homicide has been investigating the deaths of both Miss Coats and Miss Mooney. Since both cases remain active investigations, details about either case will not be released. However, based on the investigation thus far, there is no evidence. Again he's saying, no evidence to suggest that the deaths of Miss Coats and Miss Mooney are related to one another. That's what it stated, but there's still no cause of death for either case as of the latest reporting, which came out yesterday evening, when at least yesterday Tuesday, September nineteenth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like you said, we were talking about this a little bit off air. Our concern is for the family, for the survivors, for anyone who may know any relevant information. And it's just heartbreaking that this kind of thing can occur. And look, lest we sound like we are unfairly denigrating law enforcement folks, you got to realize there are people who are working on this stuff around the clock and they're racing for the answers. If you're thinking about the medical examiners, guess what they're in Los Angeles. They are overloaded all the time.
Speaker 2: This is what I would say, last last thing here. If you do have information, just happen to know one of these individuals, happen to know a tiny piece of information that may be helpful with the investigation. If you choose to, you can contact LAPD their Homicide Division, Central Bureau Homicide. Right now. I'm going to give you a number. They've posted it all over online. You can find it. It is two one three nine nine six four to one five zero. This is what they write. You can speak with Detective Pierce or Marcinek. Those are two detectives who are covering these cases. There is also a way to leave an anonymous tip if you don't want to be identified. If you've got information about something bad that you maybe you know minorly attach you, you're just nervous about it, you can call LA Crime Stoppers anonymously. It is one eight hundred two two two tips tips and.
Speaker 4: Matt, can we have that first number one more time?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: First number for LAPD Homicide Division two to one three, four to one, five zero.
Speaker 4: It is good to be a part of the solution if you can, folks. And we promised you one Pallette cleanser, which pales in comparison here. But we we wanted to amidst all this strange news. People are losing multimillion dollar airplanes, there are unsolved murders happening now, and there is a war that the West would rather you not care about. So we wanted to leave you a one funny story. It's also a crime. Let's go to Alaska. Two bears shook down at Krispy Kreme donut Van on a military base.
Speaker 3: Did you also hear about the bear that was invading Disney World?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I had not been this guy.
Speaker 5: The internet today guys made the joke or positive the delightful conspiracy that Ron Desantas set the bear loose because of his ongoing strife with Disney, that he is not faring very well in it, and it's kind of derailed his political aspirations. But man, the Bears, the Bears, us double the Bears.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I found this on a great Twitter account ap Oddities, and just read the headline. This is what I think grabbed all of us and the recent to senate you guys quote donut stop me now. Two bears rated a Krispy Kream doughnut man that was stopped outside a store on an Alaskan military base. I could hear them breaking open the packages and everything. This store manager said. I was like, they don't even care. And for some reason, the store manager saying they don't even care, I don't know why. It's so epic to me.
Speaker 5: I wonder if they they had like a favorite flavor, you know, like, are they do? You think they're more into I like a French crueler myself, But do you think bears like filling in their donuts or are they just indiscriminates, just pawing at whatever's out there?
Speaker 2: First of all, can you imagine the delicious smell? But that delivery truck had M and E like just the if you can just imagine it flowing out from you know, if you could see, like cartoons.
Speaker 3: Smell lines right now, like a pi on a windowsill.
Speaker 2: Be Yes, it doesn't matter what kind of donuts are in there. You can just tell there sugar involved. There's there's some kind of wheat or whatever it is that's been baking.
Speaker 4: Also, let's speak clear. We're doing our best, and I think we're doing okay as a group. We're doing our best to support human beings. But I think it's fair to say that if if we and Doc I'm pulling you in on this, I think if the four of us saw a bear doing a heist, if it wasn't our stuff, we wouldn't stop the bear like thumbs up, Yeah, fight the power dog or bear.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know why, but I'm getting images of Shaquille O'Neil in my.
Speaker 4: Head because he owns Krispy Kreme O'Dell runs so many Atlanta outfits.
Speaker 2: Okay, sorry, I was trying to figure out. It was almost like I was having synesthesia when thinking about the smell of Krispy Kreme, and I was like, well, Shack, what are you doing in here?
Speaker 3: I experienced smells in the form of that's perfect. That's perfect.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a great marketing thing. Krispy Kreme. You can have that. Put the sign up on Ponce de Leon Avenue that says smells like Shack. Credit to mister Matt Frederick if if you could, We're gonna call it an evening. As we say it's time to noctificate. We hope that you we We want to thank you for tuning in. Most importantly, we hope that you join us in investigating these ongoing stories. We want to hear from you. If you're a pilot, we want to hear from you. If you work in aviation, We want to hear from you, if you have loved ones in the Azerbaijan Armenia area in that part of the world. We also want to hear from you in Los Angeles, and perhaps most importantly, we hope you will join the show. In an upcoming listener mail segment, we try to be easy to find online.
Speaker 5: Ooh ooh, somebody taught me the right way to say the thing that I've been flippityflopping, and I'm probably still going to get it wrong. But you can get to us at the handle Conspiracy Stuff, where we exist on YouTube, Facebook and X nay Twitter because nay in French means born, so it was born as Twitter but it is now x so it means x formerly known as or born as an. And that helpful tip, which you believe schooled me correctly ben as well, came from Lord Anky or Inky, so thank you. I'll never get that wrong again, though I hate to have to lead with the one that we don't like, which is a bummer, but still it's better than nothing. You can find the Conspiracy Stuff show on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 4: But wait, what if someone doesn't sip the social meads.
Speaker 2: If you don't like social med z, call one eight three three st d WYTK. It's a voicemail system. You've got three minutes before it cuts you off, so make sure you use that time to give us a cool nickname. We don't care what it is, as long as it's not your government name. And let us know if we can use your message and name on one of our listener Maile episodes.
Speaker 3: But hey, if you don't like social medis, what kind of a Viking even?
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? That's all I guess.
Speaker 2: I don't want your honey wine. I don't want Musca Dones. No, I'm sorry, I don't know. Sureros doc dropped the beat ben such did someone do? If they don't want to do any of that stuff, but they still want to write to us.
Speaker 4: Then they should send us an email. We are conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they don't want you to know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.