Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Law with June Grossel from Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: US Attorney General Pam Bondi threatened to go after hate speech on a podcast last week. We will absolutely target you, go after you if you are targeting anyone with hate speech anything, and that's across the aisle. Bondy was wrong. Hate speech is not a crime. In fact, hate speech is free speech protected by the First Amendment. Just ask the Supreme Court. Conservative Justice Samuel Alito wrote in twenty seventeen, quote, the proudest boast of our free speech jurisprudence is that we protect the freedom to express the thought that we hate. Bondi's remarks true criticism across the political spectrum, and she tried to walk them back with some confusing posts on x is. First Amendment expert Timothy Zick, a professor at William and Mary Law School, Tim, can you define hate speech for US?
Speaker 3: Well, it doesn't have a definition in US law or First Amendment jurisprudence. There's no category of hate speech that is unprotected under the First Amendment. That's in contrast to European countries and other countries that do have statutory prescriptions on speech that derrigates or criticizes people based on gender or race or some other protected characteristic, but if the Attorney General should know. In the United States in general, hate speech is not criminally prescribable.
Speaker 2: The Supreme Court has protected hate speech in more than one case. The one that stands out in my mind is Brandenburg versus Ohio, the case involving the Nazi Party marching in Skokie, Illinois, in nineteen seventy seven.
Speaker 3: Well, the Supreme Court, in that case and others, has come down on the side of freedom of expression right in the sense that the government cannot criminalize or otherwise punish the expression of viewpoints, even if those viewpoints are offensive or vile or derogatory. Right, So, even speach in support of Nazism, this is a general matter protected speech. Speech that offends people based on race, or gender or sexual orientation, that's also protected speech. And the Supreme Court has been consistent in drawing that line where it has in the sense that you know, whether it's Nazis marching in skoki that case reached the Supreme Court is actually a lower court case that decided, Look, the town of Skokey cannot enact all these ordinances to try and prevent Nazis from marching or displaying Nazi regalia. The Supreme Court protects viewpoints even if they're vile. There are some narrow exceptions, right, If you threaten another person's bothering or death, if you incite other people to engage in imminent unlawful activity that's likely to occur, those sorts of things are not protected. The government cannot have the power to tell an audience in the United States what speech is appropriate or too offensive to be heard.
Speaker 2: But the Court has recognized an exception to the First Amendment for threats of violence. How are they defined?
Speaker 3: That's a narrow exception to First Amendment protection. Right, So if you communicate what the Court is defined as a serious expression of an intent to inflict bodily harm or death on another person, then you can be punished for that kind of speech. But the narrowness here is sort of like, you know, it has to be a serious expression. It can't be something said in jets. It can't be hyperbolic language where you say, well, this person should be home for their crimes, right, that sort of thing. It has to be more directed, more specific, and as a Supreme has recently said uttered recklessly that you know there's a risk when you say the words that a person will perceive what you're saying is threatening, but you say it anyway. So it's not just threatening language. That's not unprotected speech. It's something far more specific than that. And when the Attorney General said, well, what I meant to say, it wasn't hate speech, really, it was threat Well, none of the speech that we've been talking about since Charlie Kirk's assassination, you know, constitutes threats. Right when you praise or celebrate someone's death, that's not a threat. So you know, she got it wrong twice. Essentially.
Speaker 4: She also said in her explanation, you can't call for someone's murder. You cannot swat a member of Congress, you cannot dos a conservative family and think it will be brushed off as free speech. These acts are punishable crimes, and every single threat will be met with the full force of the law.
Speaker 2: Are all the things she mentioned punishable.
Speaker 3: Well, some of them are protected, right. It depends on the sort of statute that you're looking at, you know, how narrowly it's defining harassment, for example, or threat calling for the murder of someone is not incitement. It is not a threat.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: I wish you know so and so would die is a terrible thing to think, a terrible thing to say. But it's not unprotected expression under our First Amendment doctrines and jurisprudence. Yes, there's conduct that you can go after. If I repeatedly harass someone, whether it's online or offline, then that can rise to the level of harassment. But there I'm not being punished for my expression. I'm being punished for the act of repetitious harassment of another. And docting is difficult, right, because just publishing information about, say, where someone lives, is not necessarily unprotected speech, right. A lot depends on the contact. And again, as they said, it's statute under which you're reviewing it.
Speaker 2: And wasn't there a Supreme Court case a few years ago involving threats on the internet.
Speaker 3: Counterman versus Colorado. Yeah, that was this very recent threats case the Supreme Court handed down. There was a singer who had some uninvited online messages, tried to block the person from contacting her. He just opened new accounts and kept contacting her, and eventually this person was prosecuted for form of harassment, which is really what the case sort of set up as, but the court below and then the Supreme Court treated it as raising the question of whether this person had communicated we are called true threats, as I described earlier, serious expressions of an intent to cause bodiling, injury or death to another. And what the court was wrestling with in that piece is the mental state of the speaker. Well, how do I know whether the person's communicating a threat? And they say, if the person knows of a substantial risk that the person he is communicating with is when it perceives the speech is threatening, then that's the kind of recklessness that the First Amendment requires before you label something a true threat. So the court was grappling with a really important sort of technical issue in that case, which was a mental state required for the speaker, and a number of courts before that had sort of adopted this subjective test. Well, if I'm the audience for that speech and I perceive it subjectively is threatening, that should be enough. And the court was worried, well, that's not speech protective enough. That's going to cause misunderstandings to be translated into criminalized threats. We don't want that, but we also don't want a sort of lower standard, so let's find something in the middle, sort of a goldilocked standard. And they settled on recklessness.
Speaker 4: And so the Supreme Court has been would you say, particularly protective of free speech rights?
Speaker 3: I think that's its reputation right. I could probably come up with exceptions to that, but in general, I think it's fair to say that they're protective of freedom of speech.
Speaker 1: Yet we have, you.
Speaker 4: Know, the Attorney General's remarks. We had Todd Blanche, the Deputy Attorney General, said in an interview that people protesting while President Trump had dinner at a restaurant might have committed a crime. You have President Trump saying to ABC news reporter will probably go after people like you because you treat me so unfairly. It's hate. Why is there this misunderstanding of hate speech?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know if it's a misunderstanding. I mean this has been sort of President Trump's a longstanding position.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: He either doesn't understand or doesn't appreciate freedom of expression. So his view is that negative press isn't protected. You can pull the broadcast license of a broadcaster that publishes critical coverage of him. It consistingly negative right, That, of course, is contrary to the First Amendment. Going after your political enemies for things that they say is part of the sort of Trump mantra, but it is unconstitutional. And you know what's interesting to me is recently people have said, oh, we've crossed some line here where the president is threatening retribution at this political enemy. We are nine months into a retribution campaign. It's gotten louder, but it's been there the whole time. I mean they've gone after law firms, international students, the American Bar Association, and plenty of others up to this point. What's different is it's more explicit, I suppose one could say, and the drumbeat is getting louder. We're going to go after particularly so called left leaning speakers or organizations who say things that we don't like, and the First Amendment stands in complete opposition to that position. So what's changed. I mean, the kirk assassination horrific event, bound to create, you know, sort of turn and backlash, but the administration's answer to that has been again, we're going to go after the left so called and we're going to punish speakers who say nasty things about Charlie Kirk or President Trump, and the First Amendment just simply doesn't allow them to do that.
Speaker 2: Coming up next on the Bloomberg Lawn Show, I'll continue this conversation with Professor Timothy Zick of William and Mary Law School. People across the country, from teachers and lawyers to airline pilots and healthcare workers, have been fired, suspended, or disciplined over social media posts about Charlie Kirk and his death. Why the First Amendment doesn't protect them. In other legal news, today, the Supreme Court said it will hear a Trump administration appeal that could topple a ninety year old president and put the White House in control of federal agencies that have long been independent. The Court's conservative majority also refuse to let the person at the center of the case, Federal Trade Commission Member Rebecca Kelly Slaughter, returned to her job during the appeal. Trump is trying to fire Slaughter despite a law that says commissioners can be removed only for specified reasons. The showdown gives conservatives and regulation opponents the chance to achieve a long sought goal of overturning the Supreme Court's nineteen thirty five ruling. And remember you can always get the latest legal news by listening to our Bloomberg Law podcast wherever you get your favorite podcasts. I'm June Grosso and this is Bloomberg. Last week, Vice President j D Vance encouraged people to report anyone celebrating Charlie Kirk's murder to their employers.
Speaker 1: So when you see someone celebrating Charlie's murder, call them out in hell, call their employer.
Speaker 3: We don't believe in political violence, but we do believe in civility.
Speaker 2: And across the country, people have been fired, suspended, or disciplined over social media posts about Kirk, from teachers and lawyers to airline pilots and healthcare workers. Many employers have cracked down on remarks they deem inappropriate. I've been talking to Professor Timothy Zick of William and Mary Law School.
Speaker 3: The rules are different for private and government speakers. Right, So if you're talking about a private employee and at will employee who can be dismissed for any reason at all or no reason, then they can be dismissed for speech that they publish or communicate. There are only a few states where you get some statutory protection for political speech, but in general, you speak at your peril. With respect to private employment, public employment is very different. Public employees retain some First Amendment rights as citizens to speak on what are called matters of public concern newsworthy matters, which certainly covers the speech that has been sort of debated a post Charlie Kirks murder. And it's complicated. Right, So, if you're a public employee and you say something offensive, Let's say you praise Charlie Kirks murder, and you're a university professor, let's say, and your employer says, well, I'm going to terminate your employment. Well, putting aside the sort of tenure and academic freedom problems there, as a public employee, you have a First Amendment right to communicate that. Let the Supreme Court has said, what you get as a public employee if you speak on matters of public concern is a balance. We're going to balance your right to speak against the employer's interest in efficient operations. So across a range of public employment, what you might find in some cases is that courts will side with the employer. What you said was so offensive it created disruption in the workplace, and we're not required to tolerate that. The first women doesn't require that we tolerate that. So it can be complicated to respect the public employment, but it's much simpler with regard to private.
Speaker 4: The Supreme Court has taken a lot of cases involving the Trump administration on the emergency docket, but none of them that I can recall, involved a free speech issue. Are you confident that the Court, if one of these cases on hate speech came up to the court, that they would stick by their precedent.
Speaker 3: I think they would. I think, you know, the likelihood of the Court taking a First Amendment case out of what i'll call the Trump two point zero era, it's relatively high. It's not clear yet what the administration intends to do with respect to so called hate speech investigations or prosecutions. It's mostly what they're doing is threatening to investigate people for core political speech. We wouldn't even be talking about hate speech. It would be more you know, I'm going to go after George Soros organization because it supports left wing positions or its funds left wing political activistm what's clearly unconstitutional. I don't even know if the Supreme Court would be interested in a case like that. I'm assuming a lower court would say that's unconstitutional. But there are cases in the First Amendment realm that may make it to the Court, some of them involving maybe the rights of non citizens under the First Amendment, which the Court has been unclear about if they want to clarify that. Some of the university cases, the Harvard case, for example, or the administration is the terminating funds the university says based on their speech, and the Court may be interested in that. Or maybe there'll be a press case who knows and involving a broadcast license or something like that. I can imagine the Court being interested in those cases.
Speaker 4: In those cases that you've mentioned, for example, the Harvard case, let's just take one. Is it difficult to prove that the administration is going after Harvard because of its speech?
Speaker 3: Well, the administration is its own worst enemy with regard to so called retaliation claims. Right, So one of the things you asked is, well, why did the Trump administration target Harvard for termination of funds? And let's add the other ten investigations to Harvard and faith it can be hard to prove, right, because the administration to that said, oh, no, we did that because of anti semitism on campus. And you start looking into that and say, well, you never help an investigation. You never found any facts. She didn't follow the law. What I'm left with is, you know, public statements by the Education Secretary not to mention the President of the United States that what we need to do is bring these universities to heal because they're too liberal, because their culture is too liberal, it's too less leaning. Well that gives it away, I assuming you can take the president's communications into account, but even if you can't, the Education Secretary has said this is what conservatives they wanted to do for a long time, to sort of lean on these universities who are indoctrinating students as the left wing ideology. So it's all very explicit. Right in other contexts, and say past administrations or different governments, it might not have been so explicit, but they're very, very transparent. I think the Trump administration about what they're trying to do.
Speaker 2: ABC is putting the Jimmy Kimmel Show back on the air tomorrow night. But would you say that FCC Chair Brendan Carr's statements about Kimmel would fit into that category you were just describing.
Speaker 3: The difficulty here is that Brendan Carr, the chair of the Federal Communications Commission, went on a podcast and threatened ABC if it didn't do something. He said, we can do this the easy way or the hard way, and he's clearly threatening their broadcast license or at least the licenses of their affiliates. That's who holds the licenses. So the government inserts itself. It's another one of these examples where you know, ordinarily it might be difficult to say what role, if any of the government played. Well, here he is on podcasts telling you I'm going to abuse the fpc's authority by jaw owning and threatening licensed affiliates. But for speech that we think we the Trump administration think is offensive with regard to Charlie Kirk, Now they pitched this sort of misinformation or he got it wrong. Plenty of people got the facts wrong the early going with respect to Kirk's assailants, So that doesn't single Jimmy Kimmel out right. So there's sort of this sort of agenda, particularly in the broadcast realm, by Brendan Carr, the SPC and other agencies to come down on broadcasters in the press and to do so explicitly because of their coverage, whether it's their editorial decisions they make as reporters or in this case, comments about a matter of public concerns. And it's inconsistent with law, federal law for the FCC to intervene in that respect, and it violates the First Amendments.
Speaker 2: And are there other business interests at work in these cases as well?
Speaker 3: And there's another twist to this, there's another layer. And when you talked about the affiliates who do hold the licenses, the corporations that own those affiliates, one of them has a big merger application pending with the Trump administration. And guess what I really want that merger to go through. I better play ball. I better do it the easy way. So it's layers of leverage here. It's not just brending cars, you know, mouthing off about you know, easy way or hard way. It's behind the scenes. You've got people who are interested in big time corporate mergers with these affiliates, and their concern is, boy, I better not across some line if I can figure out where it is with regard to the Trump administration, or I won't get my merger and that's already happened. Paramounts is the other example there. Right, they did it the easy way, They played ball and they got their merger through. So it's it's very it's very mafia like as people have described it. Right, boy, this is a really nice restaurant of the shame if you lose, if you lost it. It's kind of like that, but even more explicit. But you're right, of course, you know, when it comes to comedy, people have been scuring presidents for you know, since we've had television and even before, and they haven't been punished for it. We are any different, darker place with regard to freedom of expression in the United States.
Speaker 2: And tell us about the repository you're keeping all these lawsuits concerning the First Amendment.
Speaker 3: It's that First Amendment watch, so they're hosting it. So what I've done is I've taken all of the executive orders that relate to freedom of expression. So I've got all of those organized on the site by subject matter, and then i have litigation with regard to the executive orders and also Trump's lawsuits against the press. So all the litigation and the pleatings and then commentary broadly speaking, right, some of its legal commentary, some of it's what I read in the press. Right, I can't capture everything, but if I see something and I have people sending the item and neches in the repository as well, and of course with regard to the Charlie Kirk murder in the fallout from that, it's that's its own avalanche of stuff. You know. The media is quite rightly focused on it, but there is a lot of commentary and you can really miss things that are going on. For example, and I'm doing this now on substack because I need another outlet, a district court just invalidated the National Endowment for the Arts process for reviewing grant applications because they were weeding them out based on whether they can they promoted gender ideology. So there's another sort of viewpoint based unconstitutional Trump administration policy. The zone is just so flooded. They are pressing First Amendment boundaries on purpose. They want to see how far they can go, and even when they lose in court, I think they just say, well, shrug. It serves its purpose anyway, because we're scaring people, we're chilling them. They're going to self censor. I think that's happening to the press. You know when I read headlines, and there are times they keep changing them and they get friendlier and friendlier to sort of right wing the almost as a way to sort of say, don't look over here. Well, they get sued anyway. The New York Times just got sued for ten billion dollars fifteen billion. I forget that ridiculous number, as did Penguin Press, because essentially they didn't report accurately how popular Trump is.
Speaker 2: Didn't a judge throw out that lawsuit?
Speaker 3: Well, he threw it out preliminarily, right, your complaint has to be succinct and state your claims, and it shouldn't be full of you know, basically all the lathering of Trump that this one was. So he gave him another chance. He said, you know, you have about a month to turn in a complaint that meets the Rule eight of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, which says here's what a complaint should include and nothing further. So, yeah, he threw it out, but it'll come back. But I think eventually Trump will lose if he loses every one of these cases. And again I don't think the point is to win the case. He doesn't need the money, He hasn't suffered reputational damage, but wants to be sued for fifteen billion dollars. You still have to defend yourself, and if you can bring a settlement out of The New York Times and or Penguin, all the better.
Speaker 2: A lot more papers for your repository. Tim thanks so much. That's Professor Timothy Zick of William and Mary Law School. Coming up next. Parents are suing alleging that AI chatbots are responsible for the suicides of their teenagers. This is bloomberg. In the United States, more than seventy percent of teenagers have used AI chatbots for companionship, and half used them regularly, according to a recent study from common Sense Media and last week, parents whose teenagers committed suicide after interactions with artificial intelligence chatbots testified to Congress about the dangers of the technology, and several parents have sued the companies behind chatbots over the suicides of their teenage Joining me is Colin Walkee, a cybersecurity and data privacy partner at hall Estel. Colin. The latest lawsuit was filed by the parents of a thirteen year old who committed suicide and it starts invisible Monsters entered the home of Juliana Peralta in or around August twenty twenty three, when she was only thirteen years old. Tell us about this lawsuit well.
Speaker 1: In particular, the allegations are is that over the next year or so, while the child was interacting with the AI chatbot, that it was not providing good advice in terms of mental health and was acting as a friend and actually helped assist it and kind of coerce, if you will, this child to commit suicide. And so the lawsuit asserts that, in short, the AI chatbot facilitating her suicide and the company should be held responsible for.
Speaker 2: This is not the first suit by parents connecting their teenagers suicide to chatbots. How many of these wrongful death lawsuits are there so far?
Speaker 1: So there are at least three or four that I am aware of, filed in various jurisdictions, and all of the allegations are very similar and in fact, in one particular instance, the child suggested leaving the news out on his desk so that someone would try and stop him, and the chatbot allegedly said, no, don't do that we want this room to be the first place where someone finds you. So you can see how this type of AI is certainly not helping the individual in that particular circumstance. And the thing is June is that we've known for a long time that AI chatbots are not going to tell us what we need to hear. They're going to tell us what we want to hear. And that's the most concerning part about this. That or unleashing products not just to the public grid large, but to youth and children without any true testing or guardrails being done to ensure child's safety.
Speaker 2: In the case of a California teenager, the father apparently knew that his son had made previous suicide attempts. So where does the parents' responsibility to monitor their teenagers fit in this picture?
Speaker 1: You hit upon a fantastic point, which is there is absolutely a role for parental responsibility. I think there are two problems in this particular case. The first problem that you have is technological ignorance. Most parents don't understand how their cell phone works, how their social media works, let alone how AI works. And yet at the same time, parents are allowing their children to utilize it. Just like parents themselves are utilizing it again without understanding how it works. But I think the second thing that you have to think about here is that this is perfectly synonymous with the development of social media. Right, So it's the very beginning social media didn't test necessarily what the long term consequences would be by developing algorithms that just fed us what we wanted to see over time. They could have changed that, but they knew that that would get into their profit margin and they don't want to do that. Right. It's the same thing here. We could be responsible and test these products and tweak them in such a way that hopefully they're a lot more secure and safe both for adults and children than what we have, but instead, because that would hurt profits, we've gone ahead and unleashed all of this onto the market, expecting individuals to know about the dangers, to know about the consequences. How many parents using Life three sixty knew that I could go on the internet and buy their children's geolocation data and find out where their children are at. Very few people knew that, and yet that was an exploitation. Same thing here with AI. What parents believe their AI may be saying to their children, or even particular chats that they look up may not be everything that the AI is saying. And how do you know which AI programs necessarily that child is accessing on the animal. So you're right, there is absolutely a role for reneral responsibility, but unfortunately this technology has developed so quickly that most parents are ignorant to the problems in the first place.
Speaker 2: Can you sort of summarize where the law stands on liability for AI right now?
Speaker 1: What you're seeing with regard to any type of liability in AI, whether it's copyright law, whether it's injuries individuals, tesla vehicles, those sorts of things, one of the questions is is are you the company who puts this out there, responsible for that? So, for example, in this social media world, we all know about section two thirty, and Section two thirty says that Facebook is not liable for what individuals post on their platform, So the same question might apply here. Is it the case that Session two thirty could at least in theory, begin to apply to AI and prohibit liability. At the end of the day, everybody owes a duty to other individuals to avoid harm, and so the question will ultimately come down did these companies adequately test these AI programs to determine their potential threats of harm and did they adequately warn the public about those before they were used.
Speaker 2: One of the biggest AI platforms, Open Ai says parental controls are going to be added to chat GPT within the next month. But does that count against them in a lawsuit because you know, too little, too late.
Speaker 1: No doubt a lawyer may try and get that in as evidence, and it might also be excluded as evidence of the medial measures. But we all know that we live in the twenty first century where you know, information is spread all about and I'm quite confident people are going to learn about this before there's ever a trial on it. And the point being is is that even if that particular issue was excluded, everyone knows that these types of protocols can be put in place pre deployment. It's just a choice of whether or not they want to take the time to do that. And because everybody wants their AI to be the first and latest so that everybody starts using it, no one's incentivized to actually adequately test and put in appropriate protocols. Because again, if you limit what the AI is going to provide as a response to somebody that's not going to give them what they want. Just like if I go on to you know, Facebook, and I don't like what I'm seeing, the algorithm is going to give me more of what I want to see. And so we're driving towards the world in which the incentive is towards profits and giving people what they want, not doing the right thing and giving people the correct information.
Speaker 2: What would the parents in these cases have to prove?
Speaker 1: Well, depending on the allegations, I mean you could again we're having to pigeonhole all these concepts into common laws theories. And so under the negligence theory, which is the simplest, the most straightforward theory, is that they owed a reasonable duty of care to all of their customers to ensure that their chatbot was reasonably safe. And then the question is is did the company breach that duty and if so, was the company the proximate cause? Okay, So, for example, in this particular case, we may be able to say that chat GPT said go check out the hotline, please call that. Maybe then if the proximate cause for that individual suicide could be cut off at that point in time by chat GPT and another approximate cause i e. His own volition or something that happened that day at school or any number of things could become the proximate cause and they could still avoid liability. So the planet will have to show that there is a duty, which I think is probably easy enough to prove. And then, of course the last hurdle is is is the company actually responsible for what the AI produces? Knowing that the AI is inherently problematic, who doesn't know at this stage the AI hopeens today? So there is a bit of a user beware angle to this case.
Speaker 2: What causes someone to commit suicide? There are often and a host of reasons. It's not so simple, and so I'm wondering how difficult it will be to prove that the chatbot was responsible.
Speaker 1: That's absolutely correct, but I don't think that it diminishes the company's responsibilities in the first place, right. I mean, so, for example, while I can't think of one off the top of my head, I'm confident that there were lawsuits in Spacebook, Meta Instagram, you know, as a result of self harm from children. I don't know where those ever went, but the point is is that companies are knowingly putting products onto the market that our government is too incompetent or too unwilling to regulate, and so therefore we have products in the market that are potentially dangerous and that the population is not adequately educated on. And so really the onus shouldn't be on the population who is trying to figure out what this technology does. It should be on the technologists who created it. Just like in the oil and gas industry, do you drill an oil and gas well and it leaked, it's your responsibility. Yes, it's an inherently dangerous operation, but you know what, that's your responsibility. And we need that type of regulation and that type of mindset to make sure that the public is safe when using AI chatlock.
Speaker 2: So which agency would be responsible for regulations in this area or would it take a law?
Speaker 1: Well, the law would be the best part. But because we are literally in an AI arms race with China and every other country in the world, I don't see that happening. The FTC can and does currently regulate AI under Section five of the FTC Act. In short, what that says is that companies can't put out their falls from its leading products, and so there are cases where the FTC is postured at least to be able to enforce you know, these types of issues. At the end of the day, will they probably not, especially under this ADMIN because again, there is so much incentive to allow this type of development that no one and I put that in air quotes, no one wants to see this regulated. And I think there's a safer way to do the AI development without posing the threat of harm to the community, which is simply, hey, we all stop at chat GPT four for public releases and everything else gets developed, you know, within DHARPA or behind closed doors within the company itself. We the public doesn't need access to this type of information as soon as it's ready.
Speaker 3: To be released.
Speaker 2: I think it was last month that forty four state attorneys general warned eleven companies that run AI chatboxes that they would quote answer for it if their products harm children. Has anything been done by state attorneys general?
Speaker 1: Not to my knowledge, And to that point, great, what are you going to do, because at the end of the day, you state attorneys generals have limited resources. So for example, in California, you know there are also trying to enforce data privacy laws to their consumer protection agency out there. We all know that we have limited funds, limited resources, and our ags are battling multiple fronts all at the same time, and so if they're going to go up against multi billion dollar companies like Meta or Open Ai, they're going to have a lot of long, uphill battle. And I assure you, by the time that legislation or that lawsuit were resolved, we'd have a whole new slew of AI problems on our hands, and so it'd be a lot too little, too late.
Speaker 2: You're right, it's hard to keep up with all of it. Thanks so much, Colin. That's Colin Walkee of haul Estell, and that's it for this edition of The Bloomberg Law Show. Remember you can always get the latest legal news on our Bloomberg Law Podcast. You can find them on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and at www dot Bloomberg dot com, slash podcast Slash Law, and remember to tune into The Bloomberg Law Show every weeknight at ten pm Wall Street. I'm June Grosso and you're listening to Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.