Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at.
Speaker 3: Comedy Central's America's only sorts for news. This is the Daily Chop with your host Jordan Clepper.
Speaker 4: What's the day, Jordan Clepper, We got so much to talk about tonight. Elon Musk wants you to stop believing his cars. Michael Costa finds out the meeting of Saint Patrick's Day, and those astronauts finally returned to Earth, and boy did they have a lot of unread emails.
Speaker 2: So let's get into headlines.
Speaker 4: First. First, some big breaking news. Donald Trump had released sixty four thousand pages of long secret JFK files so we could finally learn who really killed JFK. And guess what. Turns out it was heart disease. Yeah, the man loved his French fries. But speaking of a once in a generation charming sex machine, Elon Musk, Now, oh baby, I.
Speaker 2: Love it, I love it. Now.
Speaker 4: He's the world's richest man, the leader of Doge and guy who thinks Soren is the hero of the story. And say what you want about Elon, but he certainly has his fans.
Speaker 2: I love Tesler.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying Donald Trump is racist, but that man does love a hard r But if you step outside of the White House, you'll find a backlash brewing against the founder of Tesler.
Speaker 5: Wallmaker across the country facing anger and outrage from their constituents at town hall meetings, and the primary.
Speaker 2: Source of the blowback is Elon Musk.
Speaker 6: What are you doing to stop the activities of unelected and unconfirmed Elon Musk?
Speaker 7: Elon must have a security plan.
Speaker 8: Need to find out what Elon Musk is doing.
Speaker 1: And how you sof Elon Musk.
Speaker 4: Elon Musk has conflicts of interests out the wazoo.
Speaker 9: I support Elon Musk and the Department of Government Efficiency.
Speaker 2: Oh tough crowd.
Speaker 4: You know you're in trouble when you even pissed off the kid with the cherry.
Speaker 2: Eight ball sweater. It's like the chillest sweater there is.
Speaker 4: These crowds have been so angry towards these congressmen, some of them have decided to stop holding town halls altogether, which feels a little thin skin considering this is basically the same kind of vitriol in Appleby's bartender gets when the white wines not filled to the brim again. Kyle I'm sorry, I flew off the handle. Papa needs is Pino Gries. And some people are not content to just scream about elot in a high school gym. They're taking to the streets or the parking lots.
Speaker 10: Should I be?
Speaker 7: FBI and ATF now investigating multiple cases of possible arson targeting Tesla's and cyber trucks.
Speaker 2: This dramatic video shows multiple cars and flames. Police say the attacker.
Speaker 1: Used molotov cocktails.
Speaker 10: It's the latest in more than a dozen instances of arson and vandalism targeting Tesla.
Speaker 7: The same suspect shot more Tesla's with a gun. Tesla cyber trucks were set on fire in Kansas City, and earlier this month, shots fired in a Tesla dealership in Oregon. Cyber trucks on fire in Seattle.
Speaker 4: Wow, you guys like pettiacs of domestic terrorism.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 4: Okay, let me just say nobody should be breaking the law and blowing up Tesla's, especially because if you just wait a few minutes, they'll probably do it by the time. And in case you're wondering why people might do this, some have been leaving helpful messages.
Speaker 5: This is what Tesla employees and Encinitas saw when they arrived to work today. The vandalism is too graphic to show in its entirety. We blurred out the swastika on this why Tesla, as well as the F word on two different windows in front of the dealership Nazi and scum we're written as well.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I think you you might have wanted to blur out a little more there, because I.
Speaker 4: Now it just looks like they just wrote. Obviously, Elon has a lot of kids, so he's got a lot of you know.
Speaker 2: Like you don't have to be so oberch.
Speaker 4: The point is there's a ton of rage directed at Elon right now, which is why last night he went on Sean Hannity and made the case for his victimhood.
Speaker 11: Bullets are being fired, charging stations have put a blaze, Tesla's are being put a blaze. What have you done that warrants this? Because I see nothing that you have done except help our country.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, it's really come as quite a shock to me that there's this.
Speaker 2: Level of really hatred and violence from the left. Tesla is a peaceful company. We've never done anything hopeful. I've never done anythingwful. I've only done productive things. I shouldn't have to explain this to Elon, But it's not.
Speaker 4: About the Teslas. Tesla's are actually pretty cool as a car. It's got that all glass thing going on, kind of like a popemobile that fits. It's got door handles that are hard to find, which is what everybody wants in a door handle. Everything in the car is electronics, so if it malfunctions, you just drone in it. You know, It's like a free coffin.
Speaker 1: It's cool.
Speaker 2: It's cool.
Speaker 4: I give them credit. I don't think people, though, are mad at you because of the Teslass.
Speaker 2: Elon.
Speaker 4: If I were a hazard, a guess, But why they'd be mad. It might be because in the last several weeks you fired tens of thousands of federal workers. You made cuts to veterans care, life saving for and AID and food banks. You canceled important medical research, sometimes so abruptly that this happened.
Speaker 2: Clinical trials funded by US AID. Medical experiments have been stopped midstream.
Speaker 4: Some people have medical devices still in their bodies because the trials were abruptly stopped. Yeah, people might get a little upset if you stop their medical trial halfway through them. Imagine you had to stop getting your malaria medication or going home with half a butt lift.
Speaker 2: Imagine it.
Speaker 4: Imagine it's he'll never buy pants off the rack again. Or here, here's another guess. Maybe people are mad at you because you don't seem to know what.
Speaker 1: The fuck are going I got you, I'm glessing.
Speaker 2: I guess it because.
Speaker 4: You fired aviation safety staff, then add to hire him back. You fired nuclear safety inspectors and you had to hire him back. You cut funding for ebola prevention and then said, oopsie.
Speaker 7: One of the things we absolutely canceled very briefly.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I think we do.
Speaker 4: And if someone just accidentally cut it, I think we'd all be pretty mad.
Speaker 2: I might even.
Speaker 4: Banksy some third Reiching jaculates, Look, I could, I could come up with more reasons, but let's be honest. Elon knows why people are mad at him. We know he's not as smart as he pretends to be, but he's also not as dumb as he's pretending to be right now, and when he goes on Sean Hannity to complain about why people hate him, he's just proving that the troll king of the Internet can't handle the consequences of the real world.
Speaker 2: You know what, you know what love, you know what?
Speaker 4: No heure, Elon, If you genuinely want people to not hate you, you could focus on the things you are good at.
Speaker 2: I mean, you did get those astronauts back.
Speaker 11: It was It was a beautiful moment, the astronaut pair who faced a prolonged stay in space nine months versus a plan one week or back on Earth tonight.
Speaker 8: It was a team effort between the Trump administration, Elon Musk, and SpaceX.
Speaker 7: And how about this welcoming committee, Like we just mentioned, a pod of dolphins scenes swimming around as the astronauts waited to be escorted out of the SpaceX dragging capsule.
Speaker 4: You know what, I think that's great. I have to I have to not be a hater for a second. Okay, Elon brought them back safely from space after being stranded there for months, and.
Speaker 2: Dolphins even showed up to say hi. This is incredible.
Speaker 4: I mean, I wish the dolphins hadn't welcomed them back with a seeghile, but still, it's a beautiful moment for humanity. Now, it was a joyous moment, but those astronauts were gone A long, long time. Thankfully, the good folks at NASA prepared a video to help them acclimate to the world.
Speaker 2: They're coming back too.
Speaker 12: Hello astronauts, and welcome back to Earth. You got to see dolphins before they went extinct.
Speaker 1: How cool is that?
Speaker 12: As you are flown back to the US, this video will reacclimate your mind on what you missed while you were in space. First, the Gulf of Mexico you landed in is now the Gulf of America.
Speaker 9: But don't worry.
Speaker 12: The name change is symbolic. We're not going to war with Mexico. We're going to war with Canada and Greenland, maybe Panama, also Mexico. Oh, speaking of wars. When you left, it was Russia that invaded Ukraine. Now it's the other way around.
Speaker 2: Don't worry about it for now.
Speaker 12: Just focus on resting. And after you enter US territory, your space capsule will face crippling steel tariffs and you will be deported to an El Salvador in prison just until we're sure that you're not Venezuelan gang members. And after your release in twenty twenty six, you will be honored at the White House, which is now run by Fox News.
Speaker 1: Anchors.
Speaker 12: Also, the anti vaccine guy is now in charge of vaccines, the anti FBI guy is now in charge of the FBI, and the lady in charge of the WWE runs the Education Department, which is gone. These great leaders will welcome you all back, except for astronaut Sunny Williams. See when you left, you were a female astronaut, and now you're a DEI astronaut. And also you're fired, but don't worry, you'll find another job. Although just a heads up, the stock market is down an eggs are four hundred dollars, but those are both good things and also Joe Biden's fault. At this point, you're probably wondering, when can NASA send me back up to space. Well it probably can't. NASA just got doged, which is a real sentence. Now, So from all of us here in America, welcome to Hell, Earth. Welcome back to Earth.
Speaker 2: When we come back, we honor the luck of the Irish.
Speaker 13: Don't go away, go back to the Daily Show.
Speaker 4: Monday was Saint Patrick's Day, when Irish Americans honor their heritage with careful readings of the writings of James Joyce, group performances of traditional Irish music and a somber reflection of the beauty of the Celtic language. But how do you celebrate being Irish in the Donald Trump era? Michael Costa hit the streets to find out one of.
Speaker 14: Trump's top priorities is getting rid of.
Speaker 8: DEI would have ruined our country and now it's dead.
Speaker 10: Identity months are dead some of the months that they're targeting Black History Month, Pride Month, National Hispanic Heritage Month, Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month.
Speaker 14: But even though he hates celebrating these minority groups, for some reason, there's one group he loves to celebrate, the Irish.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 7: I think the Irish loved Trump when won the Irish with a tremendous amount of earth.
Speaker 2: Great people, and they voted for me at heavy numbers.
Speaker 1: So I like them even there.
Speaker 14: So I stopped by New York Saint Patti's Day Parade to see how Irish Trump supporters were celebrating their new status as Trump's bff.
Speaker 2: All right, what brings you here today?
Speaker 6: Come here to be with my friends, saying to charn Trump that I support them.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I guess I'll give you. Is this a Trump rally or Is this an Irish parade.
Speaker 1: It's an Irish trump relly.
Speaker 2: Men and skirts.
Speaker 14: Trump is not gonna like that New Stanford y.
Speaker 2: No, But we're here celebrating the minorities.
Speaker 1: There are the Irish.
Speaker 9: Well look, I'm very any you know back in the eighteen hundreds, the Irish minorities, they were coming overseas and you know when they came across the ocean, I mean they were discriminated against. They signed up and fought for the Union in the Civil War.
Speaker 14: Right, you can connect without difficult It must have been for people to come over to the United States be discriminated against.
Speaker 2: Not the favorite nation.
Speaker 6: You can connect with that.
Speaker 14: Yeah, well what about other people that are doing that?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 1: They need to wait in line.
Speaker 9: Look, I had you know, former life I had. I had a foreign born spouse.
Speaker 14: Bye, just me, I'm Irish.
Speaker 10: That sure, it's DEEI kids.
Speaker 2: This should be merit based.
Speaker 9: Hey.
Speaker 10: Look, I think celebrating Black History Month is good. I think celebrating MLK, Yeah, who fought for our civil rights?
Speaker 1: It is incredible.
Speaker 10: I went up against the mand aids in New York City. I fought for my civil rights because I being discriminated against for not getting vaccinated.
Speaker 14: Right, So this guy was just like MLK, except he didn't take a shot from the government. These Trump supporters also had a lot of other important observations.
Speaker 6: When I went to school, we had welding up shop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the kids don't have nothing anymore. They don't have nothing. All that stuff, those kids don't not for.
Speaker 6: You don't think dads are teaching kids out to but wires in anymore? Really?
Speaker 14: But is that the Is that on the government.
Speaker 6: Or that on the dad?
Speaker 1: I've charged the comment.
Speaker 2: You think Trump's out to be wires anything?
Speaker 10: Trump?
Speaker 5: But wires in here?
Speaker 6: You bet he does.
Speaker 2: All right, there you have it.
Speaker 14: As long as Trump teaches kids how to put wires back in, he and the Irish are building a friendship that will last a lifetime.
Speaker 4: The EU were set up in order to take advantage of the United States.
Speaker 6: Including Ireland.
Speaker 2: Is Ireland taking advantage of the US.
Speaker 11: Of course they are.
Speaker 14: Well, that was quick.
Speaker 2: You'll come back.
Speaker 8: Anthony Carrigan will be joining me on the show Don't Go Away. Welcome back to the Dana flum My guest tonight is an Emmy nominated actor whose new film is called Death of a Unicorn.
Speaker 2: Please welcome Anthony Kerrigan.
Speaker 6: Welcome, Anthony, welcome, Thank you so much. Great to be here.
Speaker 4: This Death of a Unicorn, they tell you what happens right there in the title.
Speaker 6: It's a bit of a spoiler in the title. It's true. But in a lot of ways, it's your classic you know, unicorn horror comedy, just run of the mill. Yeah, unicorn horror comedy.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, unicorns are real in this horror comedy.
Speaker 6: Oh, they sure are.
Speaker 4: Did you find out if they didn't got into it in the movie? Is the unicorn blood what keeps Paul Rudd's face so young and smooth?
Speaker 6: Oh my god, that's been this entire like press campaign is like unicorn blood for for for Paul. But uh no, I mean no, truly these things. I mean because there were a lot of practical effects, which which is I think, what are people gonna you know, they didn't even.
Speaker 2: They didn't use They did use real unicorns, you know, they built them.
Speaker 6: They look cool, they looked like they were real, but they were huge, and these massive set pieces that were just so cool to look at. And it's it's kind of a throwback to like Jim Henson in like eighties and nineties movies. Yeah, yeah, so it's so much fun.
Speaker 2: I feel like they moved through the space almost like velociraptors, like.
Speaker 6: They sure do. Yeah, there's definitely some Jurassic Park moments to this.
Speaker 4: There was, although I wanted it to be a little bit more real, like not not that unicorns aren't real, but that if they were, RFK Junior be eating them.
Speaker 6: You know, listen, it's still early in the year, so like, who knows really what's gonna happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're silent for the majority of this, It's true. How do you prep to be a to find are you looking in the mirror? Are you practicing responses? How do you how do you find your silence?
Speaker 6: You know? Funnily enough, it's pretty much just listening. What it's just listening And I know, truly it's just listening. It's just a lot of showing. I mean, you know, you need to no know all the beats. You actually have to kind of know what's going on more because you don't have any lines to kind of fill fill things with, fill the moments with. Uh So instead you kind of have to be really paying attention, listening and knowing, knowing what's up so.
Speaker 2: You can't just bullshit with words. Well, ione go that far.
Speaker 4: It's a great tech use it often totally you You find you find so much on all the characters that you do. I love you on Barry as No ho Hank and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, amazing I did.
Speaker 4: Is it true that you were only supposed to be in the first episode and you were going to die at the end?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, right, my character was supposed to be killed off in the first episode. And uh yeah, like my character gets shot. Sorry spoiler from like eight eight years ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, come on stream it you guys catch up.
Speaker 6: But yeah, then Bill just decided, you know, when after I was shot, you know, because it was in a car, he was just like just just open open the car door and fall out. Really so he opened a literal door for.
Speaker 3: Me to survive.
Speaker 2: But what what do you think? What was it? You guys just had a connection.
Speaker 4: It was like, oh, there's more here than just killing somebody in a car.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 6: So, I don't know. He just liked my goofy accent and what what I was doing.
Speaker 2: So this is you hide behind goofy X.
Speaker 6: I sure do this. Yeah, we're really kind of coming to the let's get to the crux of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're not a Chechnian gangster.
Speaker 6: No, no, which is a big surprise to a lot of people.
Speaker 4: Even throw a Scottish accent in the death of a unit.
Speaker 6: I sure did, Yes, I sure did. I mean I auditioned with it and then it was like months until I got you know, I got the call to come do it, only at which point I realized, oh, no, like I have to now do a Scottish accent, Like what am I gonna do?
Speaker 2: But what are you hiding from?
Speaker 6: Truly? Yeah, just I don't know. I'm from Massachusetts and maybe at some point, you know, yeah, I'll we'll do the mass accent.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, that's a fun one to play around. Yeah, sure is, Ben Affleck.
Speaker 4: Isn't creating some wild drama right now that you could sneak into?
Speaker 1: Probably?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Probably?
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you've also been working on the new Superman movie.
Speaker 6: That's right, right, yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah you are Metamorpho? Is that correct? Yeah?
Speaker 6: I play a character named Metamorpho. And I feel like I've already talked too much about the movie because it's so top secret, But honestly, it was such such a blast to work on. James Gunn is just a phenomenal director, and and even though it was just this massive movie, it really did feel like really small and intimate and like we were doing something really special, had a lot of heart.
Speaker 4: Can can you tell us, like what drew you to the character? Like, what was it about Metamorpho that you wanted to play outside of the obvious paycheck?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Yeah, there's that.
Speaker 1: That was pretty much it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think the I try to find just kind of some level of pathos and whatever whatever character I'm playing, Yeah, Pathos, Pathos, Athos draws.
Speaker 2: You to it?
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, yeah, just trying to find the humanity and whatever and whatever person I'm playing that in an accent, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you get to do it, you can. Can you tell us right now? Do you hide who you are in this movie? No?
Speaker 6: But like there's still time to do adr, you know, there's still time to do it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: So if if hopefully the Superman Universe can get just a little bit more money, I bet they could scratch it up and you could really add some new layers.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 4: Well, Death of a Unicorn will be in theaters everywhere March twenty eighth.
Speaker 2: Anthony Kerrigan We're Jella, I Love Joh.
Speaker 4: For tonight now here it is eight.
Speaker 1: Days that turned into nine months.
Speaker 4: It's like a space age Gilligan's Island.
Speaker 11: You guys are way too young to remember this, but in the nineteen sixties early seventies, there was a show called Gilligan's Island.
Speaker 2: This was like as close as you get to Gilligan's Island. These days like modern day Gilligan's Islands. It's like Gilligan's Island but crazier, sort of a space version of Gilligan's Island. Here love the Gilligan's Island. Okay, that's not the news, my bad.
Speaker 3: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 1: Paramount Podcasts