Speaker 1: Jayshn Low, Wayne, why don't you point seven? It's because I've ham Los Angeles, Ryan Seacrest here, so in the morning when we pass Warner Brothers Studios, at least that's the way I come in to Burbank. And actually when I left yesterday I saw picketers.
Speaker 2: Walking across the bridge. Yep.
Speaker 1: And this is a big deal, right, So what's happening with your favorite shows? The writers gil of America on strike. So if you have driven by any of the major studios, you've seen people writers out picketing. And Francesca Ramsey's going to join us right now as a member of the WGA. Haven't written for I Carly and the Oscars and the Nightly Show on Comedy Central. Francesca, it's Ryan and Cisnein and Tanya.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm doing pretty good. Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: It's a pleasure because we want to know a little bit more and understand from your point of view how it's going. But where do you hold up your sign?
Speaker 3: Normally I've been bouncing. I've been at the Disney Studios recently, and yesterday I was at Paramount.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at a sign here.
Speaker 1: Someone was holding up saying chat GPT can't replace me. I'm looking at show support for the writers here in Hollywood, and you think about the amount of scripted programming that's now versus years ago, and it is the world we live in. And what are you hearing on the picket lines about progress or how long this is actually going to take to get it right?
Speaker 2: Francesca, I mean, the mood.
Speaker 3: Has been so positive despite the circumstances. There's incredible solidarity on the picket line. We've had so many union show to support us, including members of SAgs, the DGA, and IAZI. Even the LA bus drivers are honking when they pass us. You know, we don't know how long this is going to take, but we are ready to fight, and we're fighting because we know that we will win.
Speaker 2: What's the biggest fight.
Speaker 3: So, you know, despite what many people assume, many TV writers are not making a living wage while Hollywood CEOs are picking home millions. And this is because TV shows have shorter seasons. Writers rooms have gotten smaller, and the residuals that usually are meant to sustain us between jobs have gotten incredibly low because of streaming. And so these are all the things that we were trying to secure in our contract with the studios, and unfortunately we were not able to come to a resolution, which is what led to us striking.
Speaker 1: So I remember hearing just before the strike happened that it was going to happen. My was the buzz, Wise, this is going to happen, There will be a strike. What are you hearing? What is the buzz? What are people saying? What are the rumblings about when this will be resolved?
Speaker 3: Here's the thing. The writers are ready to talk. The ball is in the studio's court, but they need to come to the table with the serious offer. And so far our responses have not been serious. And that's why we knew a strike was potentially eminent. Because they refused to talk to us about AI. They refuse to discuss fixed residuals for streaming, they refuse to talk about minimum writers for writers' rooms, and they refuse to discuss paid steps for future writers. And I'm sorry, Ryan, that is not how negotiating works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, we need two people at the table or two sides at the table for a negotiation to to start and to make any progress.
Speaker 2: I mean, you think about it's a good point.
Speaker 1: The TV season used to be twenty two episodes was in order, and now you get eight, you get ten, you get short orders, right, so everything's sort of everything's changed.
Speaker 3: Those shorter orders are hurting the writers on the back end because they have less time to make the shows that are important to you. They have less time to devote to those characters, and they're not being paid because they're not having longer writers' rooms to create that work that then goes on to make millions of dollars for the studio.
Speaker 1: So the two sides are not at the table now, is what you're telling us, And that needs to change.
Speaker 3: Yes, the writers are ready and the studios, unfortunately have stone wall dust on a number of issues.
Speaker 1: How long do you and your peers think they can stonewall what's the reality of that?
Speaker 3: You know, we are putting some really great measures in place to show them how serious we are. We've gotten great support, but we've also shut down production because of the writers that make these shows happen are standing in solidarity with us. Avid, Elementary, Stranger Things, Severance, SNL, the Late Night shows, Colbert, Jimmy Kimmel, the Tonight Show. We are prepared to go as long as needed to show the studios that you cannot make these shows without our hard work are intelligence, the stories, the characters that make you laugh and make you cry and make you think. So there's a lot of resilience on the picket line. And again, when the studios are ready to come to the table with a serious offer that takes us seriously and gives us the mere two percent of the billion's worth of profits that we're asking for, that's when the strike will end.
Speaker 1: Francesca Ramsey, la writer out there, WGA member on the picket lines, thank you so much for calling and giving us your view and an update. And I hope the right people are hearing this right now from you.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, thank you so much. Ryan. Just to let everybody know we would love your support on the picket lines. You can visit us at WGA contract twenty twenty three dot org to find pickets happening in New York and LA with upcoming locations across the country coming soon.
Speaker 2: Francesca, you take care, Thank you so much again.
Speaker 1: Good luck all right, Thank you by you know, she makes a great point. The shows that make you think, make you laugh, make you all those things that we need as balance to the real life issues. You need escapism through scripted entertainment to get.
Speaker 2: The stress off of your shoulders from real life.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And you know how bad chat GPT is okay, because.
Speaker 3: We've been doing the scripts here on the show and that is not going to be able to replace them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, coming back here at Kiss half m hang on