Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy centralow.
Speaker 2: Previously, I went to Australia, where I learned that in nineteen ninety six their government enacted sweeping gun control laws. The results reduced gun violence and zero mass shootings. So are there any lessons for America here? Virginia gun advocate Philip Van Cleeve has a clear answer.
Speaker 3: We're not Australia. It's a very different culture, different people, different everything.
Speaker 2: Right, There's no similarity with Australia. Australia is a former British colony with a wild frontier that was tamed by brave men who also wiped out almost an entire indigenous population. And we are not similar to that, right right, right, Because unlike Australia, we Americans know when the guns are taken away, tyranny inevitably follows.
Speaker 3: The founding fathers knew that governments tend to grow beyond their means. In America, we're stepping in the direction of a police stape.
Speaker 2: Is that really happening, Philip? Or is that some kind of crazy paranoia?
Speaker 3: We have police. They're now wearing ninja suits. If you will, I mean, you don't even know they're police. Necessarily they get the black masks on and everything, So it really.
Speaker 2: Isn't crazy paranoia. You're justifiably frightened about ninja police. The ninja police, yes, yeah, ninja police, yes.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sadly, without access to semi automatic firearms, Australians wouldn't know a thing about real freedom.
Speaker 5: Bloody oaths were free. We just sit here doing whatever we want. Everybody's just hanging out and having a good time.
Speaker 6: People don't have the same concerns anymore about getting gunned down when they're at a tourist resort.
Speaker 5: Yeah. But was that worth it?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 2: Was it worth giving up your fundamental freedoms just to not get shot in a gun massacre?
Speaker 8: You're talking about?
Speaker 2: Australians must now live in this well regulated nightmare because of ex politicians like Rob Borbige, who smugly thinks that his country has something to teach us.
Speaker 4: I hope that they would have a look at what has happened here.
Speaker 2: Why would people want to live like this?
Speaker 4: Because they might want a safer society to live in.
Speaker 2: But it's pointless for us to study the Australian experience because their fear of gun control back then has no parallels with ours. I mean what kind of things were you hearing when you suggested gun control.
Speaker 4: That government was becoming a dictatorship or that's one were told that people would not have the right to defend their property and their family.
Speaker 2: And that's definitely true.
Speaker 4: The democracy is at stake somehow if government decides there should be a background check.
Speaker 9: All right?
Speaker 4: That three, we're about to be invaded by the Indonesians.
Speaker 2: That's completely different. No one in America is afraid of Indonesians. Are they afraid of Mexicans and Muslims coming?
Speaker 7: Maybe?
Speaker 2: Sure, it claims Australians were angry, but where is the.
Speaker 6: Proof people's rights are being taken away from them?
Speaker 5: And I'm not going to give up any guns. Are they going to take off me? Are you going to give yours up?
Speaker 2: Okay, there it is, But how do those angry rural conservatives feel now?
Speaker 6: My immediate reaction was that it was an overreaction.
Speaker 7: Bad.
Speaker 8: As time went on, the regulations were quite manageable.
Speaker 2: So hold on, you didn't want to give up your high powered gun?
Speaker 7: No or bad.
Speaker 4: I felt as if I had a bit of a duty to the rest of the our society.
Speaker 2: And if you think that sounds bad, crazy, This effective gun control was enacted by conservative politicians against the will of their own base. But our politicians are different. They know that control doesn't work, or even if it.
Speaker 7: Does, it takes a long time.
Speaker 2: And to be fair, John Howard and his deputy Prime Minister Tim Fisher have had since nineteen ninety six to enact their sweeping reforms.
Speaker 9: It took less than three and a half months. What what put half of Messica was on the twenty eighth of April nineteen ninety six. In a twelve week period shortly following that, bulk of legislation was devised, drafted, debated, and implemented.
Speaker 5: But it doesn't work.
Speaker 9: Zero massacres since nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he keeps saying that, but gun control doesn't work.
Speaker 2: So my head was spinning. I had to clear it the traditional Aussie way.
Speaker 5: No, not that way.
Speaker 10: I look at that second saying political source zero since nis hungry.
Speaker 2: After three days in the bush with a guy in a kangaroo suit, it became clear what the real issue with gun control in America is. If girls aren't the problem, Philip, what is the problem?
Speaker 7: People?
Speaker 2: People are the problem?
Speaker 7: Yes? Do you know what?
Speaker 2: After spending this amount of time with you, Philip, I'm starting to believe that that's partially true.
Speaker 7: Good. I'm glad you understand that people are the problem.
Speaker 2: That is becoming just painfully obvious. After investigating the issue on opposite side of the Earth, I discovered that if Americans really do want gun control, there is actually one thing they can do to get it. They move to Australia.
Speaker 5: America loves guns. Call I love guns, but I also hate guns.
Speaker 3: Another mass shooting in America, A mass shooting.
Speaker 5: Yet another mass shooting.
Speaker 11: So I was wondering, what if there was a world where people could keep their guns and have no mass shootings. Welcome to Switzerland, a neutral country most known for its cobblestone streets perfect for skipping, its clocks, sophisticated pocket knives, and guns. Turns out, peaceful Switzerland is one of the most heavily armed nations in the world, and like America, they love their guns, yet they have almost zero gun violence.
Speaker 5: How the fuck is that possible? Luckily I ran into an expert. Is that a gun in your pocket? Or are you just oh, that's a gun?
Speaker 11: Meet Miko for twenty plus years, he's been firearms instructor for law enforcement personnel, military and special forces.
Speaker 5: He also happens to be one hunk of a man. So Thor tell me about Swiss gun culture.
Speaker 6: We respect the guns because we have a mandatory service. Every man goes to the army. They get a training in the rifle in case of the invasion.
Speaker 5: Which, to be fair, is a real threat.
Speaker 11: Since the last time Switzerland was invaded was in seventeen ninety eight, before.
Speaker 5: Color was invented, so of course they have a militia.
Speaker 6: The culture is a little bit different compared to some other country.
Speaker 12: You're familiar that I'm American, right, you can just say these things to my face. You don't have to say other countries.
Speaker 6: I think the gun culture in America, eyes is getting out of hands.
Speaker 7: Is a joke.
Speaker 6: That should be common Sen's gun lost common sense.
Speaker 8: That's not our strength.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I've noticed that.
Speaker 12: Yeah, well I can say that, but I don't like it when you say that.
Speaker 11: Okay, but what we do have is that good old American gun freedom.
Speaker 12: You know how easy it is to get a gun in the US. I just go to Walmart, give him the money a gun.
Speaker 7: I know, my uncle.
Speaker 12: Paul out of his truck, he's got a bunch of guns. My brother Todd has a gun. You want to use it? Boo, borrow for the weekend.
Speaker 5: That's nice.
Speaker 6: Not really. In Switzerland, you can get a gun from your grandparents or from your father, but you still have to do the paperwork.
Speaker 12: Even if I get a gun from my grandpa, I still got to tell the cops about it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's crazy because in most states in America you can buy a gun almost immediately without any background check, but not in Switzerland.
Speaker 6: You applied the permit from the police, You provide clearance of your criminal record that you don't have any convictions, wait for two weeks.
Speaker 5: What if it's a small crime.
Speaker 11: What if you got caught urinating in public, You got caught for sleeping with your cousin because you didn't know it was a cousin because it was at your.
Speaker 12: Family reunion and she looked like she worked at catering.
Speaker 11: What if it's like assaulting a police officer but really you were just tickling them.
Speaker 6: You can't be responsible of following some other simple rules in society to behave Why should you have a gun?
Speaker 5: You need to raise your voice over this? Was there even a payoff to all these rules?
Speaker 12: How many school shootings have there been no?
Speaker 5: What about malls?
Speaker 8: People should know?
Speaker 5: What about like major holidays?
Speaker 11: People get shot up at major holidays here? Probably come on, with all those guns, they had to have at least one mass shooting somewhere. After weeks of research, I discovered there was in fact one mass shooting in the Swiss parliament in two thousand and one, but they haven't had one since. You say, are you had a mass shooting seventeen years ago?
Speaker 5: We have won every seventeen minutes.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, for example le Munis.
Speaker 5: Lisarma.
Speaker 12: This is something that I'm having a hard time comprehending. You learned from a mistake and you made an improvement in the law.
Speaker 5: That's so Europe.
Speaker 11: And while Switzerland his last mass shooting was in two thousand and one, America has at no keep going noe more more.
Speaker 5: Yeah. There you go.
Speaker 11: Over nineteen hundred mass shooting since twenty twelve, averaging to about one a day, which is why Miko felt I needed to be properly trained before I headed back to the States.
Speaker 6: We have to talk about safety first, Can I like, like with this one, yeah, just leave it alone, don't touch it.
Speaker 5: How are we going to shoot it if I can't touch it.
Speaker 6: Let me explain you the rules first. So number one thing that you have to remember is that you always treat the guns. Ask if they're loaded, because probably most of the accidents that happens happens with empty guns.
Speaker 5: All right, So this this one here, this.
Speaker 6: Don't touch it. Don't touch it. I think you don't pay enough, you know, attention to what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm listening.
Speaker 13: So you just have to follow four simple rules.
Speaker 6: Number one, you treat the guns. You got a feeling that you're not paying attention.
Speaker 5: What no, I am. Let's do it up, Miko.
Speaker 11: When you load these things, you ever get a little bit of a direction.
Speaker 13: Do exactly what I say, Okay, okay, all right, pay attention to attention okay, and slowly press back until the gun goes off.
Speaker 5: Jesus, this scares the shit.
Speaker 7: Out of me.
Speaker 11: I'm glad we had that safety instruction. This is the dream, shooting guns without the fear of getting shot.
Speaker 5: This is where America should be.
Speaker 11: All we need to do is keep AMMO separate and have universal criminal and mental background checks, have extremely strict open carry laws.
Speaker 5: Justification for ownership.
Speaker 11: Send written request to authorities and basically just change our entire gun culture.
Speaker 5: We can do that, right, It's not really that fun. When you keep shitting yourself, you get used to it.
Speaker 14: Now.
Speaker 11: This isn't a green screen, this is real disgusting. Switzerland a neutral country full of non combative, chocolate eating yodelers, and they're also full of guns.
Speaker 5: In my previous report, I trained with firearms expert Miko mik Oh.
Speaker 11: Look, I shot some holes in the Swiss cheese put that. I learned that when it comes to gun culture, Switzerland has a few more regulations than America. And thanks to these gun regulations and strict ammunition control, Switzerland.
Speaker 5: Has a murder rate of nearly zero.
Speaker 11: Sure, that's a great statistic, but how safe can it really be. To learn more about their gun culture, I attended Chiosm, the world's largest annual shooting festival right here, and holy that's a lot of guns.
Speaker 5: Even that baby has a gun.
Speaker 11: There's not enough training in the world to prepare me for this. So I brought my two secret weapons, my translator Pierre and.
Speaker 5: My supermanly rock hard American vest.
Speaker 8: Why are you wearing a pussy west, Pierre.
Speaker 11: Best, Oh, that's that's funny. Pussy best. Why aren't you wearing a pussy best? People are walking around with guns.
Speaker 8: Because it's safe.
Speaker 14: What is that?
Speaker 5: What is that?
Speaker 14: Ye?
Speaker 5: Not shooting?
Speaker 11: No worries, they're shooting, Yeah, shooting over there? How many accidents have happened here? Nine nine accidents?
Speaker 5: No zero zero zero zero. I thought you said nine nine.
Speaker 11: Okay, it's a German language, the German language.
Speaker 5: I know in the United American this is dangerous. But in the Switzerland we have we have rules and this we haven't rules rules? What kind of rules? Let little kids participate in this October fest?
Speaker 11: You love shooting, so it's like yoga. Yes, they also throw booze into the mix, because.
Speaker 8: Poor it's a it's a national party.
Speaker 11: Oh, here comes the beer, everybody. Let's let the beer walk through. We've got rifles and the beers.
Speaker 3: We came and here are the peepers with the friends and la la la la the beer, La la la la la beer.
Speaker 7: We make the Yeah, it's.
Speaker 5: Finished, well said guns and beers.
Speaker 11: This was an American wet dream, but something was different in this country.
Speaker 9: We respect arms, and if you respect it, it's not the problem.
Speaker 5: Why should I listen to this drunk Swiss role.
Speaker 10: I was president for five years.
Speaker 11: You're telling me I'm having beer with the former president of Switzerland.
Speaker 8: Yes, cheers.
Speaker 11: Nowhere else could a former president be surrounded by thousands of firearms.
Speaker 5: With no security. How can we get America to feel this safe?
Speaker 8: That's your problem, that's my problem.
Speaker 5: Well, that's as neutral as it gets. But he's right, it is our problem.
Speaker 11: I mean, here they can shoot guns, drink beer and no one gets hurt.
Speaker 5: In America, something like this could never happen.
Speaker 11: I decided to embrace this culture and hang with the only group that would let me in.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you guys got air fifteens here huh.
Speaker 5: Meet the Shooting Society of Press.
Speaker 11: It was time to show these Swiss fondues how Americans shoot guns.
Speaker 5: I missed, You're missed. Oh I miss What.
Speaker 9: Do you know?
Speaker 5: You're ten years old. You probably never even kissed the girl. Did you ever take your gun to school?
Speaker 11: No? No, we don't.
Speaker 5: I You're not American.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 5: Okay, well I can say that, but he can't Swiss kids.
Speaker 11: Huh, even if it is true, because the fact is, for Swiss kids, life with guns is very different.
Speaker 4: It's nothing happens it's not like like in the US where you have those mass shootings.
Speaker 5: When he goes to school, he just has to worry about school.
Speaker 7: Yeah, catching the bus sometime.
Speaker 11: Unlike America, Switzerland has found a way to peacefully coexist with firearms.
Speaker 9: Shot shots shots o, whoa, whoa.
Speaker 11: And one of the main reasons is that while these gun owners may be loaded, it's actually illegal for their guns.
Speaker 5: To be loaded when not in use.
Speaker 1: We got beer, we got guns, we got food.
Speaker 7: I feel like I.
Speaker 5: Brought another testicle down here.
Speaker 11: So America, if we're going to insist on being a nation of the gun nuts, we could at least try and Swiss things up.
Speaker 1: A little while back, I traveled to mary Old, England, a country that's got all kinds of weapons, swords, shields, wooden catapults, terrible massage chairs, even magic wands. But the one weapon you don't see is guns. So I wanted to find out why.
Speaker 7: In my new segment Roy meets World, Edward, where are you from?
Speaker 5: Higan?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 1: So do you feel safer here or visiting America?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Safeer hair? Why why do you feel safe here?
Speaker 5: Because everybody's packing in the sights.
Speaker 7: You really don't see guns out here on a regular basis.
Speaker 8: And really even with the cops. If you I mean, if you're walking around and you do see some cops, they don't have guns on them.
Speaker 7: Why is there why y'all police don't have guns?
Speaker 8: I honestly don't know about that one.
Speaker 1: But how are you gonna accidentally kill somebody you wanted to kill?
Speaker 8: Well, that's the whole point.
Speaker 7: You shouldn't be doing that. So in the UK, how do you show power? How do you show people you got a big dick but you don't have a gun.
Speaker 15: I don't try and show people that I got a big dick.
Speaker 5: I know I've got one.
Speaker 7: Like I think that we didn't do it as one. Are you impressed by men who have big guns? Were Way?
Speaker 5: It's not common to have guns in private homes at all.
Speaker 7: Okay, So in Norway, how do men let women know that they have a big show it to them.
Speaker 1: I can't do that in a minute, that is not an option. So they are packing. See there's so much our two cultures can learn from each other. Why do you think Americans love guns so much?
Speaker 15: I think it's something like deeply ingrained in the culture, Like guns have been around for a long long time. In the US, like in the UK, it's not so much of an issue because it's very underground, whereas in America it's normalized.
Speaker 7: Everyone.
Speaker 5: You can walk into a Walmart and.
Speaker 7: Buy a gun, yes, and the pack skirtles and some ice cream. It's a red back out the door. So where you are from.
Speaker 5: So Africa.
Speaker 7: Why do you think Americans love guns so much?
Speaker 3: Probably the Constitution and just because they're crazy, damn you right out.
Speaker 1: What is America's reputation in the world.
Speaker 3: Probably mass shootings, as bad as it sounds.
Speaker 1: That's how we know them for No, there's not any that dogs.
Speaker 7: Steph Curry. Why do you think Americans love guns so much?
Speaker 14: From an outsider's perspective, I think they are also really proud of their military and everything. But America, I think so at least Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: Okay, Bridge Ass Silvil War. We wooked down ass, So they didn't really know.
Speaker 1: America's wreck it on the court and it turns out guns aren't just hurting our people, they're hurting our street cred all over the world.
Speaker 8: I feel like, you know, the US was kind of like this beacon that a lot of people followed. If you look at it from the gun perspective, some of the other topics that are going on currently as well. I think it is affecting a little of its credibility on the global stage.
Speaker 3: It's a problem when guns a good more rocks than women, sir, within the country here, Yeah, yeah, you have.
Speaker 1: Is it possible that the the world is just being too hard on America and the gun violence?
Speaker 7: We only been around two hundred years. Yeah, you gotta use some growing things.
Speaker 1: Everybody know, when you start a country, it's gonna be rough for a little while because you just whooped somebody's assenal disrespect.
Speaker 12: Have little faith in the country at the moment.
Speaker 6: Like, I've never been, I've always wanted to visit it, but every time we talk about it, we're like, actually, like.
Speaker 1: So Americans might not be airbnb in their fully armed apartments to these people anytime soon. But that doesn't mean that all of Europe is a gun free zone.
Speaker 5: We can take you Spitzbergen in Norway.
Speaker 14: That's the highest density of guns in any society in the world. Everybody has a gun in spitzburg that's for protecting for polar bears. But they don't shoot each other.
Speaker 7: It's just for the polar bears.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, but you.
Speaker 14: Have to wear a gun if you go outside the city.
Speaker 7: You have to lie to go without. Wait, it's a law that you have to wear a gun, and.
Speaker 14: That one in the party has to wear a gun to go outside of the city limits.
Speaker 7: To keep you from getting eaten by polar bears.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Damn mandatory guns to fight polar bears. I'm canceling my trip to Oslo, Honduras. Here I come, snow polar bears there, right.
Speaker 5: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Fairmount Plucks.
Speaker 7: This has been a Comedy Central podcast