Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Welcome back jackets.
Speaker 3: Is a good day?
Speaker 2: Man? Were you telling a list?
Speaker 3: I mean we of just uh what's the theme that the Fast and Furious ten is the theme? I guess we're going with.
Speaker 4: Man, we're just taking off of the space fast and furious. That's what we're the fast and furious in this space.
Speaker 3: So now we want to welcome to the show. Something we've been listen, We've been trying to get this doe for a minute. Man, my dog trying to get this doe for a minute, pulled up a.
Speaker 4: Snag at my wedding, without a without a thought, and then disappeared again, and then disappeared to night.
Speaker 2: To disappeared through the curtain.
Speaker 3: We've never seen it. Man, Welcome to the show, man, Tyre, I appreciate to catch up with you. Yes, Yes, multi talented, grateful to be here, believe it. Singer, songwriter, actor. What is it like when you think about where it started to where you are right now? Do you ever get a chance? Are you constantly trying to see what's next?
Speaker 2: Uh? Man, I tell people that where I'm from, what I've seen, what I've been exposed to throughout my childhood, and teenage years before I got on. Nothing about what I see in my dreams will ever compete with how blessed in life altering I see when I wake up, you look at my life life man, You know, like when I go to sleep, I be so tired. Its pitch black man, you know what I mean? I don't know. I dream with my eyes open, so I just see shit. Man, I just be like wow, man, Like my whole thing got off the ground for my thirty second commercial. So we've already been sitting there longer than thirty seconds. It was supposed to be over for me already. So every day that I'm able to wake up and see and experience and meet and you know, just go places and catch a vibe. Man, it's it's life altering. Hold on, I don't know who's making noise over there with the potato chips?
Speaker 3: Yes, who is it? Please?
Speaker 2: But who is it? Who is I promise you that shit You would think that I got on some headphones right now with how loud that shit? Oh my, Like, I promise, these thoughts are expensive. I want to reach them all. I've been weak on this shit. Please yeah, please with the dorito.
Speaker 5: Bag, carry on?
Speaker 2: Sorry, yeah, So you know, I just really feel like, you know, I think the moment you take your access for granted, your access will no longer be granted, you know what I mean? So I literally like it ain't about slab rich money, mansion, this and that. Man, I can't believe any of this, which allows me to really like like wow, you know every day. Yeah, And I just hope that never ends. Man, I don't ever want to get too familiar with being blessed.
Speaker 3: Take us back to you said, the commercial kind of change your life. Take us back to that process, how that came about, and what would just like in that moment and obviously you never thought it would be what it is, But walk us back through that process.
Speaker 2: I was they called my high scho school, how were you? Sixteen? Said they was looking for a male black sixteen through eighteen. They had already been to like three other states, you know, New York, Atlanta, and then the school that I went to was a school, you know, with a lot of performing arts. A lot of folks had graduated, you know, the whole horn section of Earth Wind and Fire, saxophone player Gerald Albright, a legend named Patrice Russian, the drummer and Google Chancellor. So a bunch of folks that y'all may not know or maybe, but they were all legends, came out of the school. So when they started making phone calls, it was like, let's let's let's call the schools where they normally have singers and really talented people. So I was at Lock High School in South Central, got the phone call. My music teacher got to call Reggie Andrews rest in Peace, and yeah, he was like, yeah, they just called, and you know, hey, man, I think everything's about to change for you. I'm looking at him like, shit, I'll take anything over twenty dollars whatever it is. If it's more than twenty dollars, we out of here. So yeah, it's been to sit down on the back of that bus, man, And I don't know, I got so many different things, Matt, that just kind of it's kind of hard to answer that question because it's like I be I you know, if I can simplify it would be imagine or remember your prom you got your suit on shit has rented. It's nice, you got your paddent letter, you know what I mean. And if you were blessed enough to have a limb even if you roll with one of the homies, sun roof is out like limo and everything is like a fantasy. But you know, at a certain point, this limos gotta go back. Suit gotta go back. Suit's gotta go back everything. You know, you go back to being a pumpkin. Man. I've been in this limosine for twenty five years. Bro been in this limo for twenty five man, I'm like, I almost convinced myself early on because of the level of trauma and dysfunction that I was born in, there was no way for me to ever think that it would be more than a thirty second, five minute high, you know, so like my life felt, my career felt like a rental car, felt like a limo. It was like fleeting. Ain't no fucking way this limo gonna stay here. With the way I'm looking and what we riding in and the sun roof and what we're doing. We got eight. I was wrap it up, it's over. I've been in this limbo over twenty five man, I can't believe it. So I had to shift from you know, so humble and so grateful. Wow, you know, I had to get out of the wow of the rental car and say I own the car. This is mine. God ain't gonna take it away and give it to nobody else. So now you gotta negotiate on the car. Different You got to think about get off your goofy shit and really think, like, if you don't get out of your so humble and so grateful, stay humble, but don't lose your value and understanding your position and disposition when it comes to deals and deal terms. Don't take what they're offering. Especially when I had kids, Man, everything was like shit, I was negotiating for me. Now, nigga, it's y'all versus my two daughters. I feel bad for whoever's on the other side of the deal, uh, because it ain't about us no more. Once once the angels get here, man, Like, don't embarrass yourself from that, not from thinking that next week is promised. I got next week to get my ship together. Yeah got it? So yeah, that's that's that's my answer, man.
Speaker 4: M Take us back to Watts. What was going on? And Tyree Gibson head as a young kid. You know, I know you got your he was raised by your mother, You had siblings, and your brother just got out recently, right, Yeah, yeah, yeah in Vegas Tyrone, yeah.
Speaker 2: Big bro man, Yeah, bet On one. But he pulling it together. Man, I'm proud of him. Yeah. So honestly, man, typical stories pretty much every level of dysfunction, every example of you know, it's all laid out, you're going to jail, you're gonna get shot, you know, drive by bloods, crips, Mexican gangs, rivals, one block away from the hoods that your hood don't get along with. And you know, I'm in the hood as a good guy. I never banged in my life, never sold nothing. I'm not gonna paint that picture. But you know, I grew up in and around monsters that's doing that shit for real every day, and so sometimes they'll take your head off just from where you live and who you know. And so I woke up expecting to die. I woke up like I pretty much know what the outcome of this shit's gonna be because I see it and I'm around it every day. I don't care if you're a good guy. Seen too many of the homies that ain't banging, ain't slanging dead playing basketball on the Wednesday. They did on Thursday, were doing fundraisers trying to raise money to bury the homie cause he's fucking twelve years old. Nobody had insurance in place, that wasn't a plan. So everything about kind of feeling like, yeah, I'm in this, but I feel different. I'm in this, but I'm not of this. And I didn't know I could sing at the time, but I knew that it didn't really feel like putting on that blue or that purple or whatever the armies do it. I didn't feel like I ain't really I don't really know if I had the heart that like really step in it on that level. I didn't really know if I was finna be out there with the ziploc bags and and and pushing it on that level and you know, carrying, and I don't I don't know if that was in the cards for me like that. So to see it, to be around it, to feel it is to know what is yours, Like I know, because the example is there, nigga, you can you can put the trucks on. And it just never felt like some ship that was real for me. But at the same time, I didn't know what I was going to be like. I wasn't the best athlete. I was cool, but I wasn't. I wasn't killing niggas on the court. It was like I had nobody show.
Speaker 3: Up when they talk about what they used to do.
Speaker 4: Everybody else, everyone else the interviewed, they don't play.
Speaker 3: Who appreciate you carry Listen.
Speaker 2: Man, I might get you might got a strong three piece in a biscuit out of me that I'm tired as a motherfucker. I'm gonna give a nigga my best ai. Yeah, so after word, but yeah, when I seen the nigga saying the national anthem, I was like, Yo, that's all right, what's that? That's all right. We're looking at this right here. Man, that's all right. You know what I mean. Everybody's standing up, full attention, no one's distracted. If I they got their hand on their heart, I think I could do this. Yeah, but nah, it's uh. All my homies, like even my best homie is here with me, and you know, eight years old, my nigga kin yata man, top top athlete. Man. You know all my boys, Man, I go to their cribs. They got the whole wall of trophies. I'd be like, I don't really know what this in the cars for me like that to be out here. So I just was lost, felt different, didn't really felt feel like I belong. But then, just what do you have in mind? God? You know the homies go to jail and they come out. They trying to make it sound like it's that shit up that moment. I'm not. I'm not fucking with any of that dialogue that came from you got you got niggas happy more happy to celebrate the homie getting out of jail from doing five or ten. But when somebody graduate from high school, you know they got three homies at that event, it's we four hundred deep and the homie get out. I don't really know if I'm I don't know, ruh. It's just like super early on. Shit was just like, ah, like what the what? What is this that I'm feeling? Because I know what I'm supposed to feel. I see it, I'm around it every day. The m part of the Curly Top Snoop dre n W A straight out of Compton, I'm in watching right next door. This is this is what it is. God just had other plans, man, So imagine me not being grateful when nothing about my life looked like that, and I still got homies over there right now, and yeah, this has been unbelievable. I like, I don't focus on my Wikipedia page resume. I'm like, nigga, I'm I can't believe I'm on another airplane. I'm looking out the window, like, shit, this shit great. Where we going? This shit? This shit is mind blowing, all of it.
Speaker 3: Late nineties, You sign your first deal with the major record label. How'd that come about?
Speaker 2: That was after the co commercial? You know, that's when labels existed. Uh So, after I did the coke commercial. One of the first people tried to sign it was Andre Herrel, which was crazy because he like literally sent niggas to my school, onto my high school campus trying to It's like it was like an NBA scout courting. They was at the at the talent shows. I'll be sitting there eating lunch, a little and pieces and shit, little brownie cake. I'll just look up, Hey, what's up? Job? Oh shit? What's you know? Like real record label executives? Because my music teacher was in the business too. You know, he wrote whipp It Baby with the Gap Band, so he had a lot of hit records that he wrote before he became a music teacher, so it was kind of like, who's there, who's his teacher? So they found out Reggie Andrew was my pops and my teacher, and that's how they got access to the campus. But they was all trying to sign. It was a twenty record label bidding war. So I ended up signing and I moved out of Watch. I bought my first crib of sixteen four bedroom, two car garage. My mama co signed because you got to be twenty one and cali at least to owner crib. I moved there with two rob Wallers and a fucking ice chess and not one piece of furniture, and I was just in there and that was the start of me feeling like something is happening. And the craziest thing is when I bought that crib, it was because I had a conversation with one of the big homies who never had no money, never, you know, and he's like, hey, nigga, listen, when you get this money, don't be another should have would have? Could her? I looked at him, I was like, I'm like, what does that mean? Don't don't be able to say you should have? You would have and you could have if that's your money, buy a crib. Even if you lose the motherfucker, just go do something. Don't just be out here buying rims and jewelry and doing goofy shit. So when he said that to me, bruh, like literally, you just never know what conversation one of the big homies and have and what effect it can have on you. He said that to me, and I bought. I bought my first crib at sixteen in Hawthorn, right off the golf course, gated community call traditions at the greens, all my neighbors with my grandparents.
Speaker 3: Straight up, you play golf, No, live on a golf course. Don't play golf me. Uh, your first title album?
Speaker 2: That's my big bro right there. Every I promise you. This guy right here, before I even met this guy, was like, Yo, that's my digger right straight up. I'm talking about I'm seeing the documentaries and all that. Like your response is like, oh, I was like yo, that's like, I promise I know this digger right here. I sent them a d M on the ground like, Yo, man, I don't know you know what I mean, I ain't do you can't talk no sports and ship with me, nigga, if you don't want to pull up? And I pulled up like a mother. Yeah, grazy Yeah. How was it?
Speaker 3: How was it putting together your first self titled album? What was that process?
Speaker 2: Like? Weird? You know, because I wasn't third generation singer my Grandma's song, Mama song and now I'm a say, you know, I never there was no reference whatsoever to the blueprint, So wear these clothes, sing these songs, shoot these type of videos, and it was like, you know, I would, I can't. I'm not here to argue and debate what direction I'm going in. I don't know if I'm supposed to be singing and dancing like genuine songs like Pony or are Sure what you made me want to leave? You know, I'm like, nigga, am I supposed to be out here giving niggas shoulders? Well? Man, Like, I ain't even know what the fuck what I was like, nigga, I don't really know what you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean, I'm like, who was your go to?
Speaker 2: I mean, I was just I was just kind of listening to whatever they was, you know, I didn't really I didn't really know who I was to be able to argue about no, I ain't feeling that song, like all y'all know more than me supposedly, So you know, I'm glad I listened because, uh shit, some got figured out. You know. I tell niggas a story all the time that my struggle, especially after all that I just shared about being in the hood, My struggle was even though I was singing nothing about singing in the hood, is you know the soft ass nigga. Get me. You could be the NBA NFL prospect all day. If you could even run track and still have niggas out here looking at you like good, You're gonna be out with big teeth ast nigga sit down singing. You know that the Homies wasn't It wasn't Homies wasn't sure. It was almost weird for the homies that I grew up with to show up to a talent show, like, you know, these niggas sitting in the front rope, go ahead, you know what I'm saying, Like, what what one of the big homies gonna say that? Cheer me on? He gangsters of he got he got some ship in his back. He looking to the left and the right, And I'm onna stay singing what go ahead? And nephew go ahead and nephew, you know what I mean. So everything with your chests, nigga, ain't that ship Marvin typ So it was it was, it was, it was. It was me just really trying to figure out like and I knew, I knew that this was like a feeling like this music ship is really never want to act ever, but this music ship, bro, that ship hit me like boom. So I was like the energy from the homies, like I said, and being in the hood and cripping in the blood and nothing about getting on stage trying to hold any kind of note is welcome here. And I was no church dude that was singing in the hood like you know, I went to church all the time my mom, but I wasn't a singer in the choir leading the choir. So the homies in the neighborhood like, oh boy, you killed it yesterday. It just came out the blue, and just trying to understand what is this unexpected gift? How do I protect him? What do I do with it? And yeah, so that's that's kind of how it happened. Man. So that the first album with Sweet Lady and Lately, And I mean that my first album came out in ninety eight. I just sold out twelve thousand, two days ago, and all they want to hear is Sweet Lady Lately. Like shit, man, I'll be on when I come out on stage, I just be looking at all them people like I just turned around, like, who the fuck is all these people? Like? I don't drop ams that often to matter in music like that, but they want to hear that shit. So I just everything is unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Man, That's all I can say. I got a funny story. Can I tell this funny story? So he said he didn't sing in the choir, so I did, but this was this was my career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is my career ended.
Speaker 4: So I had this two cousins, right, they were meant to sing and lead songs, right, And I used to always hang with him. So the choir director felt like, okay, you know June and Pop always leading song. Let's let's let Stevie do you know get that I was about thirteen fourteen. Let's let's go and get him get a a part in the song.
Speaker 2: Right. So they was the ones that really was meant for this.
Speaker 4: They had all that right, they killing it. They could the preacher boy, so they leading the song they killed and they passed it to me. So this is my moment to show I belonged with them. And I tried the boy. Nothing came out, but I tried it again. I just had to pass the mic, so that you know what I'm saying. So like, it ain't meant for everybody church choir there was. It was church three clock service.
Speaker 2: It wasn't even the three o'clock service at another church. I tried to I didn't have it. That was pretty bad with it to huh oh, he coughed up a lookie, Yeah, it's basically what I did, And yeah, I tried. I tried that.
Speaker 4: I didn't have that. I just passed the mic. I just passed the mic. And that was the end of my singing career in the church choir.
Speaker 2: When you knew it wasn't meant for me. We had one star staying on TV too that was killing k C. She made us all think we could sing. We finally got a nigga that look like us every time of clothes man ship, I think we could all do it. All of light scared niggas killing me like I'll be sure. It was like dark scared niggas that ever shot in the dark held the bode. Nigga Ksey came out there, motherfucker with the hat backwards, with that big ass ving coming out of the deck. I said, nigga, I think I might have a shot.
Speaker 3: What was the scene like when you came out? Who was who was who at that time, whether the individuals or groups ship?
Speaker 2: Well, shit it was next there was a singer named Rome s w V h Ussher genuine. Uh, I remember room every time let's see you know. So competition was thick, bro, and uh, you know, I went to the gym and ship like I'm I'm try and find some muscles. Uh. It was I just I was just in this process man of just like unraveling and trying to discover everything in real time. I had no coaches. I had nobody sitting me down teaching me the game. And you know, I just had bits and pieces of moments. I figured out little communities like oh you saying, I say, we should you know, But when I when I think about like when you you know, when you upload videos and clips of your sons with the coach, the dribbling and just anything, and you're there as a legend NBA and you pouring into your your your twins, and you know it's like I ain't have the you know Teddy Pendergrass as your father, so you you singing as inevitable. I didn't have no nothing. So rather I ultimately made it or not, there was no gateway into you're gonna be successful because I did it and you're gonna do it better than me. It was I'm the alien of the family. I'm one of one of one. It never happened before me or after me. And imagine that pressure. And I'm still out here just fighting to maintain this unexpected gift.
Speaker 3: So yeah, fasten on the way, talk to us. What has been been like for you? As you talk to you know, living this dream. I mean to be in this, uh this series with this group of people for this long and continue to do it.
Speaker 2: Uh man, listen, man, God is God has a sense of humor. Yeah, there's no way anybody can tell me that my first movie would be Baby Boy. That was written for Pac. Pac was supposed to be Jody. He got killed in Vegas and John Singleton rest in peace, shelved Baby Boy and for Baby Boy to be my first movie, which is why I had pac on a mural in my bedroom. And then to go from Baby Boy to Too Fast, Too Furious, extremely hood and extremely white and mainstream, It's like, this is all crazy. So Ven Diesel and Paul obviously did part one, which I had nothing to do with. I came in for part two. The opportunity for part two only happened because they couldn't make a deal with Vin Diesel. I said, nigg, I do the shit for them. I do for that. I do this ship for a turkey sad with some cheese on itig like, this shit is incredible.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And so when I got the phone call that you know, they couldn't make a deal with Van or the first director uh named Rob Cohen, that that that got the franchise off the ground. I was just like, wait, so you want me to do the whole movie opposite Paul the way Ven did the whole first one opposite Paul. That's crazy? Uh? And how did y'all make the connection that Jody Right couldn't do anything and it's got to do a roaman? Like it wasn't one white person in our movie. It was nothing about me that said pop mainstream crossover. I'm a I'm bigger. I'm three minutes ago. I was on in Watts, Like everything about my energy has nothing to do with white people, you know what I mean? Like, I'm like, you put me opposite the whitest white man. There is rest in peace to Paul, but he's the surfer. He's like literally that guy. And so my brain was like trying to make the connection. And then there's God again, just like I got all of this in mind for you, beyond anything that you could ever see or for see for yourself, and I'm just in autopilot, just like okay, you know so yeah, man, Like the first one came out twenty three years ago. Now we got Fast ten. So I did part two. I wasn't in three, I wasn't in four, and then me the rock all was in part five and I've done five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, and we about to do two more. It's a gift that keeps gonna give him ship. I don't care if I'm in the movie for three minutes, but three hours changed my life ever. You know, it's it's uh, it's it's something else, bro. Like we just came back from Rome, during the International press junket. First time in the history of movie premieeres, they was at the actual coliseum as our backdrop. They just thought that ship was photoshop. I'm turning around like, man, you know, it's like it's all you took the legend Kimberly, which I seen that. Yes, sure, my mom passed. Shout out to her. Yeah, shout out to Kim. Mama, Kim, I love you changed my life. Man. Yeah, I was my mom's past last year, rest in peace on Valentine's Day of all days, And like, wow, so you give birth to an R and B singer and you die on the most romantic day in the world. I gotta process that one. That's that's heavy. But yeah, man, I you know, I had a real rocky relationship with my mom growing up. You know, she drank for like twenty seven years, and childhood was real crazy. But I loved it because I know she did her best and I was her fourth child and she could have decided I already got three, so yeah, and let me go on to get rid of him. So she she she pushed me out, two boys, two girls, and here I am.
Speaker 3: All the smoke in the flesh in the Flesh. Luda spoke to the closeness of that cast and crew that you guys are really like family off the camera. Can you speak to the importance of just them as people?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, man, I mean it's definitely a vibe. I mean, I don't really know. Like when we all first started doing it, I feel like we all linked up way more often than we do now. But it's all love. Like it's like, the only thing I can connect it to is like, you ain't got no problem in none of your homies you grew up with, but you look forward to the class reunion every year, you know what I mean. So we texting, got a little text chain energy, and we all you know, the kids that get together for birthdays and certain holidays. But then we all on the set. Man, it feels like a real class reunion. And it's just it's hard to believe that we get as much as we get done because we laughing and joking and having so much fun. But we're all very clear, like, yeah, the money is flying, the champagne is flying, but we're under a lot of pressure because we're working on something that a lot of people are antis peyton and that ship could be very stressful, especially being around then, because he's definitely got at least ten more these motherfuckers in his head. Right now, you could talk to Van and you'd be like, yo, did you catch the last forty five minutes of what I just said? Because he's on some genius shit. He's way way he's already casting who's going to be in the next three yep to the yeah you's got to show up with Yeah, yeah, Roman ain't. Roman ain't went home yet. It was just I was like, lookah.
Speaker 3: Man, cousin Jesse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did the premiere fast ten. We got Roman in Rome. Shit, ain't nobody ever met my brother, my cousin. They never follow Roman home and then has actually been talking about that ship. He's like, yo, man, what is what is? What is Rome? Where does Rome live? I said, well, for one, we already established that me and Paul Walker from Barstow. There's hoods in Barstow, so you know, maybe we got to figure that out. Yeah, but yeah, it's uh they literally they was just it's been a couple of years of them having conversations about like where where does Rome and Tag live? You know, you see Van, it's dating Michelle we've already had kids, and he dating this girl with Chelle. You know, they unpacked the home life, but all the rest of us somehow end up in his backyard at the dinner table with where y'all niggas go from must the game from home? We always I appreciate the food, man, I got to count See y'all niggas don't want me my mama. So yeah, they been. They've been unpacking that conversation, man, and I think they're gonna get to it at some point.
Speaker 3: You ready, random question that just came to me. Forgive me and baby boy, when Snoop kicked your son's ford over said fuck your fort? Did your son ever tell you? Did your son ever tell you how you felt about Snoop kicking his fort down?
Speaker 2: I wasn't even on a set that day, for little nik, I wasn't on the set that day, man.
Speaker 5: I told you later. Yeah, that was a high thought forgetting No.
Speaker 2: No, no, we're good. We needed that. We needed that. No. I wasn't even on a set that day. Man, Oh my good.
Speaker 4: That's funny, man, you stupid bro, that's funny. Who like we had loud on the show today. Yeah, and he talked about John Singleton's greatness. Can you speak to that as well? Where do we start?
Speaker 2: Man? I mean I would describe John as a kindergarten teacher or a head start teacher. You know when you when when when you drop your baby off and they're getting their first round of class, froom and education. He had the patients as a filmmaker to teach you and show you everything that has to do with acting. Did it for qbe? Did it for two? I mean the list is thirty forty and it wasn't just the actors and that he put on the amount of camera operators. You know Ruth Carter who just won her second Oscar. She was our stylist, baby Boy. She was our stylist for Four Brothers Brothers Dope movie. Now she's designing and winning her second oscar for Black Panther. So John Singleton, man, he came here and God God used this man to change everything. Everything is different after he came and went. There's like all of us are still on. Regina King, Regina Hall, Cuba Gooding Jr. Lawrence Fishburne, it's everybody's yeah, Neil Long producing writing something and some executives that I mean Bro, he's got like thirty different forty people that's in the academy that's able to vote for who should win an Oscar. Bro. When I got to the set of Baby Boy, it was all black people in every category on the set. And then I went from Baby Boy to Too Fast, Too Furious, And because that was my introduction in Hollywood, I'm like steady, cam, lighting, grips, electron. All of these departments were all black people, and so he normalized. He's like, yo, if you're capable of doing the job, I'm not gonna exclude you. Because at the time, everything about excluding us from all departments was very real. So when you the boss and you can put your people on, that's very capable doing the job. Ain't on some niggas, You're like, look, you ain't that good. But it's like he like he's got there's some giants out here, you know that cut hair, do makeup and blah blah blah. So he just made sure that everybody in every department was on and uh. And then to go from that to my second movie, Too Fast, Too Furious, it was just like, wow, got it. He changed my life of him, man, Like I'm talking about I don't even I don't even understand why he had so much in mind for me. Man, Yo, you the one he used to always say, Man, you were mommy a park man you And I couldn't even process that because I think a part the way I think a part uh the way we all did here on the West Coast. But it was he just kept saying it. And then when I hung out with his mom's one time in North Carolina, uh, me and my ex was about to divorce, mother of my first child, and she was the godmother to my first daughter, Sheila, And we went to her ranch for like two weeks, and she was a chainsmoker, and she said to me ten times that I like, oh, did all these niggas running around here, all trying to sound like my son looked like my son? But you you the only one that really remind me of my son. And it's kind of scary. I know you didn't come here for that, but oh my god, you know. And just like hearing that and then making the connection that of all the people that John could have casted, he said, you remind me of And I didn't have the acting chops to justify him putting me in baby boy. I was baby boy. I'm number one on the call. Shit, I wasn't number three, number four. It's your first acting role. We're not gonna make you to starve, my nigga, pay your dues, and we're gonna give you a little walk on, see how you do, and then we'll give you a bigger role after I was baby boy. And it was because he made the connection the park. Now I'm not pox So before y'all niggas jump in my comics, just shut up, goofy ass niggas, right, niggas shut up right, you know. So it was, it was, it was, It was really interesting, man. It's like her, his mom said, you vocal, you outspoken. You know, you got some panther energy on you. You speak up and speak out about real shit that matters. You ain't afraid of somebody saying we ain't gonna hire you because you're trying to speak up on some shit going on in the hood. Police brutality, excessive force, and racism. Always been vocal and out spoken off top. And you know, when you first get on in Hollywood, you know they're in jeopardy of putting somebody like me on, you know, because you know what you're gonna say and how irresponsible are you even though you knew to this? Uh uh so, yeah, man, it was it was wild John Singleton, It's my forever hero man man changed my life forever, forever. Snoop Dogg.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was working with him, And you have any funny stories from being on set with him? He came out, he came here and I think he had the longest episode maybe of all the smoke. He sat in there that same laid down and smoked for two hours and just told the stories. But you have any funny stories from him being on set?
Speaker 2: Uh? Fuck you for funny stories. I don't know if I have any funny stories, man. I mean when I'm around Snoop Nigga, I'm nervous. I'm star struck as a motherfucker. That's one of the big homies for real from your West. Like, you know, I don't care. I mean we be on FaceTime and ship. He'll call me out, what's up, nephew? Oh ship? You know, like I'm still a regular you know South Central Lad, Before there was a marvel Our super Heroes was them. They was doing shit that It's like the Impilors, the Girls, the parties, the pool parties, the smoking, the drinking, the life, the clicks to entorize to going to the concerts and seeing niggas sell out arenas. And we ain't had no idea what kind of money they was making, but shit, everything about what we was doing, beyond selling, banging, cripping and blooding, they created a you know, easy E. They was like, yo, you could rap, you could because I guess at the time I was too young to know, like everything about hip hop was on the East. So once once you know easy E and too Short and all that ship started happening for the West, it became some other ship that you know in the hood, be like, oh, man, nigga, maybe we can get on some rap ship and and and so yeah, man, I've done some legendary backyard parties at my crib. And every time, hey, Nigga'm gonna pull up on you, you know, I'd be like, and then he'll get out of his sprinter and I'm just like, it's like I hear music, you know, like fucking stoop man. So that I ain't got no funnies though, I just be nervous around it.
Speaker 3: Speak to you, to speak to your legendary back backyard parties, back in my good back of my gold days. I didn't grab a couple of a handful of man there, Yes, that's.
Speaker 2: Up, bro, I know I know what you're capable of. I know what you're capable of. Rachel was right forty the one man.
Speaker 3: That boy at the backyard lady, that was.
Speaker 4: Right, It was right, It was all the way right. Thousand and seven, you land a major role in Transformers.
Speaker 2: What was that? Like? Crazy?
Speaker 4: You still had the uh one of the Transformers in his crib not at the time, not at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got it all after but yeah my Transformer tattoo right there. Yeah, I grew up watching Transformers. Man, so you grew up watching the hot He's crazy, like I'm. They don't have to tell me nothing about Autobox Versus except the comments. It was Lucky Charles and telling them under rules this ship was crazy, like you want to you want me to talk? Yeah, that was like crazy, bro, like like I said, man, working with Michael Bay of course. Oh man, Oh, so here's a here's a Michael Bass story. Uh, let me think about this for a second. If I ever told this story publicly, gotta tell a quick Michael Bay's story. So, first thing, when we were doing uh, Too Fast, Too Furious. The whole Too Fast, Too Furious was filmed in Miami. Uh, and while we was doing Too Fast, Too Furious, they were shooting Bad Boys too, So Will Smith and Martin and I been knowing Martin because I did a guest appearance on Martin when he had a TV sitcom of all time. I stopped watching TV after that, married with children and ours I was number TV uh. So uh, I know him, love them both. They every time they would get around me over the years, they would always like, for whatever reason, just go above and beyond, just trying to put me up on game and protect me from myself. So I, you know, I hit Will. I got invited to the set of Bad Boys, and even though our budget was nice, that ship was crazy with what they was doing. Right. So fast forward the maloof Brothers opening their first hotel in Vegas. For the grand opening, they put like seventy five some celebs on on these private planes from LA just to be there for the grand opening. So literally, I get on the plane and I'm on this private joint just like, oh shit, private plane. It's crazy. And then right as the door was about to close, Michael Bay come walking on and I'm sitting there like, what the fuck is going on? I know exactly who the fuck this guy is sitting here. I'm talking about man, I'm talking about right here on the plane. So I'm sitting there, shook his hand, cool vibe. He remember me from coming to the set Will and Martin and then h I asked him a question. I was like, let me ask you something, man, are you aware of how many people in Hollywood say you're like arrogant? You iss you had and this, And I guess the question was like the last thing he expected me to ask him, But you can tell just on some real shit. He was like, Yo, I appreciate you asking me a real ask question instead of like sitting there telling me how much you love the movies I've done. That was like, so our whole hour flight was about just chopping it up about some real shit, like what people think of you versus what you think of yourself. What is is what you said and what you did, what you responsible for, blah blah blah. That was the gist of it. And it was love. It was all love. So then I get to the lobby and I've never hung out with dude. I was on the set. He was in go mode, you know, genius director, big action guy. Everything is a thousand miles an hour in his head, you know, and so seeing him when he's out of game mode, he's a whole nother person, very cool, sociable. So I get to the front desk to check in, and as I'm walking through the lobby because it's the grand opening, all these women was in the lobby in Vegas and without me noticing, by the time I got to the front desk, I lon't must have turned around. It was like thirty of them gawking and looking, and Michael Bay walked up to me. It's like, hey man, wow, you know, like he really got excited about all this energy that was around me, and my brain was like my brain was like huh mo, nigga, you know what I mean, Like like if this is if this is what? If this is what you own? I do? This is what I do? You know? This is easy? You know. I'm like, I'm the R and B nigga. Turn active, Nigga. I got juice is following me this all day. So I'm I'm seeing the excitement that he's feeling about the energy around and I ain't fin the city and say I arranged anything because I ain't that nigga, but it was it was really like and I was like, and then literally at the front desk, was not the plan, but I felt his energy. I said, Yo, man, I got some girls coming up. Man, dreams is real. Low key, man, you ain't doing nothing, pull up right right, It's like. And then he was like, you know, what's what's your room number? I got the key. I was like, you know, blah blah blah, four or five, whatever it was. And then I was like, man, they ain't coming. You know, he ain't no fucking way, you know, man, listen, I literally it's the funniest shit, Michael. See this clip. He gonna be like you, I've.
Speaker 5: Never told nobody he got there before you.
Speaker 2: So I'm literally in the room right. I swear to god, it was at least thirty chicks in there. I didn't tell them they needed to do anything. I just said, look, man, if this man knocking my door when he come upstairs, y'all got one job and one job on it. To just make him feel like the most incredible motherfucker you've ever met. And I said, look, man, I want y'all to know there is nobody in the history of cinema who knows how to film and capture women the way Michael Bay do on some victorious secrets. They're shooting him campaign for thirty years, blah blah blah. So they all up in there like the and I'm like, yo, he actually specialized and putting random women on. He don't necessarily need to be with a supermodel. He don't go for the established. He'll go and find some brand new, bad shit and make him look nigga. They was up in that motherfucker Like damn. They're just like, well, thank you for the opportunity. I'm like, I'm like, he gonna be happy. They ain't got with me. He gonna be way happy to see y'all way to get up here. So hey, man, y'all ain't gotta do shit. Literally, this ain't no prostitution, Like I ain't. I don't play them games and I do shit. Which nothing did go down. Man. Drinks, girls put some music on, vibe had a nice little sweet It wasn't nothing crazy, and like an hour go by, I'm walking, I'm pacing in my room. Man, but bo but but bok, and I swear, man, I almost want to get up and reenact this shit with the cameras on me. But like, if the peep hole was hit, I was like, I was like, like it was like a move, like, oh ship, yo. If this fuck is almost solidless door, when I look through his people, it's over. It's over. So I went look to the people. Fuck yo, hell no good right y'all already y'r niggas Action Bro opened the door, came in. You know he always got his little shirt just about right here. You know, you know he's missing Miami twenty. Hey, hey, man, you know you want him to dream of it. They went. They went full on flirting, like, don't worry about me, just make sure he feels amazing when he gets here. Man, they hit that thing so far out the park. Next thing, you know, got each other's number. He invited me to a Christmas party that's up the street by the way here in Santa Monica, and uh hung out with him. He said, hey, man, uh, I got this movie I'm about to do. I'm thinking about doing it. You know. Steven Spielberg hit me up and he's mentioning the Spielberg like this normal. I'm like Spielberg, you know, he wanted to direct it, and he was like, you maybe you should do it. He's like, what do you think man? I said, Transformers, Man, you that's best childhood for me. And he's like, yeah, yeah, you think I should do it? Like fuck, yeah, man, it'll be crazy. He's talking to me like as if me saying he should do it is going to actually make him do it. I'm like, well, shit, you're gonna ask me. Yeah, so then and what else should do? You should put me in it too? Yeah? Then he said this was funny. He said, uh, He's like, yeah, what you doing movie like that? Like yeah, I'm trying. I'm like, I'm so fucking fired up and I'm trying to play it cool like eh, man, like that, it's crazy. I grew up on that, man, be crazy. You would kill that shit if you did it. And then he said yeah, yeah, yeah, are you funny? I said, yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm funny. I don't I mean, I can't really tell you I'm funny, but I you know, yeah, I've been known to keep niggas attention to tell a good joke of too you so, and so he invited me back to his office. I walked in his office. The whole room was full of images. It's all computer generator. It's all of these images of the cars and the Bumblebee before and after that, you know, the Optimist trying truck and all of these images. And he's like, come in, man, and I'm looking. I'm like, what the you know, I'm looking at my childhood. So he wanted to cast me in the first Transformers to play Bernie Mack, the car salesman who sold Shy of Labuff's character the first Bumblebee if anybody seen it, that was supposed to be me, Bernie Mack. And after hanging out with him several times, he literally swept. He literally created the role Nest and had me with Josh Dummel the soldiers, and we ended up doing three Transformers. I would have been grateful for the Bernie Mac role, but for him to be like, yo, I really like you. You a good guy, Like he literally out the sky. We had nothing to do to the storyline. He created the Transformers soldiers that work and rock with Shia Labuff's character and all of that shit. Happened from an airplane ride, and all these women at the fucking hotel. What's the name of Hodel the palm, the palm.
Speaker 3: They did the job.
Speaker 2: They put me on my damn lad ye yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. If y'all see this.
Speaker 3: Interview, thank you.
Speaker 4: What fans are the most lawyers? Transformers are fast and furious.
Speaker 2: Uh well, I don't do transformers no more so. It's definitely fast. I got three out of it. I hope I can do it again. Man, that'd be crazy to run that back. But my focus right now, honestly, man, I'm on my music. Shit. Man, it's been ten years since I dropped an album. You know. My last album is called Black Rose, and I've been in the studio. Man, just like really like, it's hard for me to accept that the year is twenty twenty three right now. I'm in sixty eight. Right now, in my head, I'm I was just that the club last night, Studio fifty four, Marvin Gaye, Teddy, Michael Jackson just played a new song last night and shut the club down. That's where my head is. I'm like, I'm literally in the seventies, tapping into that vintage retro R and B Soul. You know, my album is called Beautiful Pain. So I've been I've been in the studio just in you know, it's almost like method acting. I'm like deep deep in my R and B bag right now, R and B Soul bag, Like nobody could tell me that Barry Gordy wasn't just at my house last night.
Speaker 3: I mean, how you've being in the spotlight a lot of your private problems become public, similar to.
Speaker 2: Me, all of us.
Speaker 3: What is it? What have you learned? I guess from that? Can you laugh? I mean they created a meme? Can you laugh about stuff like that? What have you learned? I mean I'm someone very similar where my divorce was public and what happened after was public, and then my fight for my kids was public. You know, obviously you've gone through some of those struggles and although it should be private moments, it's public moments, so everyone is picking at and saying what should and shouldn't happen. How have you kind of learned and navigating kind of made yourself better from those experiences.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you brought that up, man, because I think us as black men, we don't talk about it as much as we should because you know, the story of my life with all of my interviews has been it's crazy how women will come down on us about not talking, not communicating, not expressing any of their feelings and sentiments, and then as soon as we do that, now we soft moaning, bitch and crime whatever. You know. It's like, damn if you do, damn if you don't. So I've always been beyond expressive, written two books, I got fucking YouTube videos in the thousands with my motivational inspirational videos that I put out, just like getting it off of me. The truth is, y'all come from the world of sports. There's nothing about my life that comes with a sports announcer talking about it. Well. Tyreese's performance comes in at a strong ten the last performance with it. He had tried it, but he didn't Land. I don't deal with that As an R and B nigga. We deal with radio host and on air personalities. But everything about this life that I live, I am growing up in real time and I am figuring it out. I'm bumping my head, I'm falling, I'm making mistake, I'm up, I'm down, I'm sad, I'm confused, I'm wondering like who the fucking why, and wondering like, did you really just get in a whole relationship and just fake the whole shit to get a baby out of it? When I got in this shit for real, to do it for the rest of my life. Bro, I took my wedding band off and I was light skinning under my finger. Man, dang, I.
Speaker 3: Think the worst thing.
Speaker 2: No, it's not, no, but I'm just saying for him to say that though I never took my shit off, man like fully in it. And uh so my single entitled I Don't Think You Ever Loved Me featuring Lenny Kravitz. Man, you know, I probably didn't even know I had a song. I want you all to hear it all streaming platforms, Apple, Spotify, I Don't Think You Ever Loved Me featuring Lenny Kravitz. You know, I was with her for five years, we was married almost three, didn't even get to three, and then she just pulled the plug on the marriage. And I'm literally over here just seeing my whole shit go up and smoke, and I'm over here pulling out a human calculator, just trying to add it all up. And you know, my whole thing has always been I've never been the kind of entertainer or public figure that wants to sell you on the success of it all. I'm gonna tell you everything. Don't don't look up to me because of the shiny building. Don't don't love me because of the drophead, love the nigga in the car that happens to be driving to drop head. It's always been just the opposite for me. I got the shit that's gonna make everybody like yo. That's but I want you to say, Yo, that's a man of integrity. He's honest. He allows himself to be vulnerable and go into those uncomfortable conversations that most people never feel safe with having, and and and you know most people, first of us us as men, we've been forced to shut up. You know, women have went above and beyond to express themselves and be expressive, and we don't really feel safe with talking about our actual feelings, childhood traumas, the shit we've seen when exposed to them, places that we could all slip into, knowing that the answer is not in a medicine bottle. Sometimes Jesus ain't enough for us, you know what I mean? With what we're feeling, and the concept of Jesus is like, well, how do I apply that into And then I'm like, got it, got it? Because it's confusing. I don't wake up with no ill will and no malicious intent. You would expect a nigga with money, power, access to the streets, to corporate America, to the lawyers. You would expect me to be the one to say I got the power and I'm gonna become abusive with my power. But I find myself being on the receiving end of what nigga's trying to do to me, and I'm like, damn, I got the power to do it to you and probably can get away with it, but I don't have them intentions. So it makes dealing with these type of things in real time it hits you harder because I'm like, damn, what I could do, I don't do, But then everybody seems to be doing. I'm not sitting there playing victim. But it's crazy, man. Uh And yeah that's that's my answer. Man, Like I at these California courtess on some funck ship like one hundred, Like man, listen, man, uh uh, get married out of state, have your baby out of state and y'all come live out here all you want, but uh don't, don't do it. You know that that this sold master on one eleven Hill Street. Fuck your life up.
Speaker 3: Jack, got all of us who you think pay the most child support?
Speaker 2: Me? By fo you close? Man? Where are you at? Where you at? Where you at?
Speaker 3: You got eleven kids?
Speaker 2: I got no, I don't, I don't. You gotta left gear. We got to talk about that now.
Speaker 4: I got I got five girls, two boys. But I paid eighteen five for one. This is one child in California. I paid eighteen five for one child for my in big career.
Speaker 2: Eighteen five. This is one child that's fucked up.
Speaker 4: So yeah, you got six more of them around the range to.
Speaker 2: Your God is good. He blessed me with enough. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, but he's not supposed to bless you to give it away, not at all, not at all, because yeah, see that's the positive spin on it. God is good. Yeah, yeah, month when I got to go out, Man, that's some bullshit, bro, because we already know that if we actually talking about the actual needs of the child, it's not being met, it's all. It's it's beyond being met. So you know that that that bag is not for the child extracurricular activities.
Speaker 4: Man, l a boy, I tell you killers and boat TX they be doing on this.
Speaker 3: The summer I retired after I was done playing, I stayed outfit. Uh. I stayed up in Beverly Hills. And that's that's the point of my story. So I ran into Russell Simmons and me and him started hanging out, and I really pissed the idea to have like a child support car like he had the rush card, And I'm like, you need to create a car where you have to see like every time they swipe, it has to you see the receipts, so it sees if it goes towards the children. And I really pissed that ship to remember what happened to them. Yeah, but if someone, if someone could think of that, if someone could come up with that, just give me a little cut.
Speaker 2: Of that, know how about? Yeah we call that ship uh man has done so the child support You got to see all that, man, my child support payment. It gets wired onto the car and every time you wiped, you get to see see what's happened. Someone can make that because that eighteen five I ain't got no noble and malleable vibe on that.
Speaker 3: Because the kids ain't coming in with no person who knows shoes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that shi it hurt, bro. And then you go up in the courtroom. It don't matter what receipts, what paper trail, what you show up with to prove that you got to cut that check, regardless that I'm gonna tell you, man, a man, I'm still bleeding. I'm bleeding right now. I see your blood up.
Speaker 3: And I met you.
Speaker 2: I met you to drops. But imagine, imagine, don't matter NBA or single actor, imagine that this is common knowledge. You walk into the courtroom and if you was born a man, you gotta preset McDonald's, man, you're gonna get the shafting balls, tax returns, fuck you and anything you gotta say. Now when you ain't getting no money, you're dead beat. But then when you getting money, you get fucked. Damn if you do, damn you don't. And what you're gonna do going in and then cry about it? Now we're gonna laugh at you. What more do you want from me? I want my soul back, motherfucking just like I want to. I'm always gonna take care of mine. I'm not with her no more, ain't no way my baby need all that. I know what we was doing for her while we were together. So what you about to do with all that monthly that we wasn't doing for the baby monthly? When I'm the nigga with the bag, the baby never had eighteen five worth of anything per month. Think about it. Me and my wife or me and my girl never spent eighteen five on the baby while we were together. So you suddenly about to spend eighteen five because you're with the baby by yourself?
Speaker 3: My go cold game.
Speaker 2: It's a cold game.
Speaker 3: You better wear a jacket.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's more than that quick hitters's what's the pill that they take them stop themselves getting praised? What's that birth control? Yeah? We did. We need to figure that out.
Speaker 3: They got the mail one. Now to do with the beer? Takes it?
Speaker 2: With the beer takes it? Okay, you look a little light headed, you've been drinking waters. You're gonna take that, but they'll tell this about the side effects.
Speaker 4: I'm a mean that gonna stop no matter.
Speaker 3: Look man power for that all love, piece of love.
Speaker 2: But that's why they do this podcast a safe place for us to talk about this and one thing. You know, me and him haven't been through it.
Speaker 3: Yea, I should have been all over the world, all over the Yeah, that's the every day I walk around. I mean, anytime I post on that, there's still gonna be comments for like the rest of my life.
Speaker 2: Just public.
Speaker 3: I've been hit you every once in a while. Bro, just check it in on your help me and we love.
Speaker 2: We can never assume I pulled up on him.
Speaker 4: Have you ever been on the walk? I've never. I've never been on a walk like around the neighborhood. I just but this ship was different though. So I go to this house. He's like, first when I get there, I think the last first. When I get there, it is the first one I hit. So etail me to come over, the first one I get. As soon as I hit the dose, somebody stop up, go this way over here. You got to take the COVID test.
Speaker 2: He hit me up and said, yo, I really want to get up on this act and ship. Man, I really want to chop it up. So I say, yo, bro, I'm one of them niggas that will overshare. I'm not threatening insecure about no other man getting in this game. So instead of you like me getting on the movie set, winging it, bumping your head and make mistakes. Let's really chop it up about what you're trying to do, because there's a lot of ways to go about it. So he pulled up and that go ahead, and so I do. I do my COVID test and all that.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying that nose, Yes, yes, a couple of different They did one q T.
Speaker 2: They got it. They got it.
Speaker 3: They will tell me your ship get it faster.
Speaker 2: I forgot what I was saying. COVID test.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, COVID testing. To take the COVID tests. And I talk to him, sit down whatever. He's like, let's let's go talk to just takes a walk. So this is the whole reason. So I walked around the block growing up.
Speaker 2: I actually walked the people house. I'm gonna take a walk. This was a real walk, bro. Let me tell you why.
Speaker 4: If all the trees was green, all the houses were nice, and we landed in the park where it was just one bitch and it's just green everywhere.
Speaker 2: I'm like, this nigga taken me to heaven? Did this nigga take me all the walk in heaven. That's my nigga from childhood. Bro. I literally just took him over with what we ended up on that bench.
Speaker 4: Right that was I was like, okay, so this is what people mean when they say let's take a walk.
Speaker 2: That was a real walk. It was very refreshing. I learned a lot. It was mental health, it was. But that's what they usually do on the golf course. Because I don't play golf. You don't get around the birds and the chirping in the little lakes and creeks, and so in my neighborhood, I live in Buckhead and landed cribs is ridiculous. And they got these big ass yards and all the way up there with the big old front, you know. And so I'm like, yo, man, one thing about where I live and ain't some security everywhere, but it's safe. It's private. And for the first time ever in my life, it don't matter how long I been on, I ain't never been able to take a walk in my neighborhood since I been on and I go here, it's not like we went a mile and it was like it was there. We made a hard left and then and that ain't even the park. That's what's crazy. That's somebody's yard. Yard. That's how big the yard is. I said, man, went, I was like, yo, I normally sit right here on this bench. Man, it's surrounded by trees and green and get my thoughts together, walk right back to the crib. So the whole time we was walking, I was just trying to chop it up and really put my nigga up on game about this acting shit, man, you know, shit man, It's like, yeah, we're supposed to sit there at the table, five plays this and that and no, that was way better. That was way better. Chopping it up. Man, it's my favorite walk. I know what it means.
Speaker 3: Now, yeah, walk all right, quick hitters. First thing to come to mind. I mean obviously through your your music, you're acting, you've seen a lot of places you've been around the world. Three favorite cities.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm I'm still I ain't still ain't recovered from Miami. Miami's probably Miami is probably top of my list. Second is Brazil for all the right reasons. Uh my god, my god. I heard yeah, yeah, you heard. It's crazy. Yeah, all the ship were excited about on TV, just like Brazil is. If you ever thinking about getting married, settling down, just do yourself a favor, get that out of your system, and then get to the crib and say, I'm gonna do this for the rest of my life. But ooh, I'm glad I was able to star. I'm saying that to every real nigga. I here, watch it, like you know, go live it. It ain't that expensive. It's like four hundred thirty dollars in coach. You got it round trip. It's shit, best shit in life. But yeah, between Miami and Brazil, Uh, my favorite place on earth right now because I'm on some super privacy. When I take a break, I don't want to see people movement nothing. I'm heavy on my Turks and Caicos right now. Heavy. I don't want to see nothing nobody. I take my hookah, Nigga, I be sitting on my balcony. I don't go. I'm Turks and Caicos. I swear man, I might we might be three masks away from me saying fuck America. I'm out. I'm gonna be out there with a big ass stomach with a monkey name bubbles. Nigga like this fuck this shit like it's it's it's you gotta you like, I'm in my grown man bag heavy, Like, man, how do you feel I'm not okay? Every time I go to Turks, whatever level of drain, my shit just always recharges. And I promise, man, Turks is it? Turks? Is it if you ain't never been bless yourself? It's only two hour flight from Atlanta to That's what I love.
Speaker 4: I'm like, out, what's the craziest fan in the action you've had?
Speaker 2: I had a girl in my hotel room in Houston, found out where I was staying, went to the front desk, convinced the nigga at the front desk that a key was supposed to be in her name. She was already upstairs ready to go when.
Speaker 3: I walked the question did you go or did you send her home?
Speaker 2: I got out of there. That was That was a little scary for anybody that's determined. You definitely got a lot of got Yeah you really you you you? What do you call it premeditated? Yeah? Yeah, shi, it is way too you convincing they at the front desk, Yeah, I'm just Tyrese is staying here. I know what he called. You know, last name check is so you call it in my name? None of that ship was real. She was in the room. Yeah, it's crazy, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: If you could have a billboard with a message, uh, message saying slogan for the world to see, what would it be ship?
Speaker 2: How many buzz with the window?
Speaker 4: We were like, oh, yeah, you got the key I left you?
Speaker 2: What was slogan? Uh? I really feel this overwhelming sense to give it all away, not on some charity shit like cutting checks and you know the way I post, the way I communicate everything about this interview, there's somebody that's gonna hear something and be like, oh, nigga, he made it possibly made me think it was possible because the way he just steal regular still just you know something about what I do and the way I do it. I have this overwhelming sense of responsibility to just give somebody permission to go get it without you know, I don't don't be inspired by chains and yo he a real but you know, so I would say the billboard would say me today, you tomorrow, and I believe that without being threatened or insecure about Yo, you put me up on And I flipped that shit and turned into if we ain't both pulling up in the rose Roy's bruh. We ain't both in a mansion mansion hopping. If we ain't yo you, what's the tale number? You know? If we ain't on that, what the fuck are we doing? You know? And I like, I really really want everybody to believe that it's possible to get it. And wherever you at, you know what I mean, Like it might be fuck, it might be dark. It made like everything is pulling you down, and you like thinking the inevitable is but man, the Lord Jesus Christ is my Lord and savior. Yeah, and there is nothing about what you feeling, carrying and dealing with right now that has anything to do with the outcome of all that God has in mind for you. If you don't believe that, just stay at it, stayed the course. It ain't enough handsome, ain't enough jokes. I don't know enough hood niggas. I ain't got nothing to connect to nothing because my brain is like, wow, so God had all of this in mind for me and I'm out here just winging it, trying to understand it all as it's happening, you know, and wow, this is what all of this and it's still happening. Unbelieve even sitting there with y'all. Man, this is like I've seen y'all podcasts for years. I'm just sitting here on the couch, unbelieve appreciate it. So yeah, man, that's that's kind of it. Bro, question who would you like to see on our show?
Speaker 4: But before you answer that, you have to help us get your answer on the show.
Speaker 2: I'm getting good with that question. Yeah. So you're saying, who would I like to see on the show? And can I help y'all to get the person on the show.
Speaker 4: Whether you choose that you want to see on our show, you have to help us get them on the show.
Speaker 2: All right? Uh? Will Smith been on here already? Yep, Yeah, I've seen that episode. Uh yeah, Denzelzel.
Speaker 4: So you the second person that said Denzel, So we need both of y'all to hit.
Speaker 2: Him on this.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying personal line on the on the just on the on the training day line.
Speaker 2: Because I know lones are gonna pull up. He wasn't no punk niggas show. Because I know where your heart is at with the acting ship. I think you need to start inviting more actors on here. I have the dialogue. You know, niggas in the real estate. They need to start interviewing folks that's in the world that you're trying to get in, because the wisdom and the knowledge gives you the insight to be able to say, oh yo, I didn't really think it as possible until somebody just broke that ship down and made it all so simple, like it was so much more difficult in my mind to get to that. And then he just blah, blood man, I'd the best teacher. That's free Game merch name of my new podcast.
Speaker 6: He handed my rather all the suffere and you can get that you you you you are you can you people out there at all the smoke down store, you can be ass flyers Me and Matt and now black Tie Man Weed Whacker.
Speaker 3: Yeah you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yep, I got y know, I think I got yeah this appreciation. Yeah, you know what I'm saying. Hey, man, Before oh why I go, man, I got to ask you all a question man, for real, man, I gotta ask you all a question man, because crazy thing is I'm not gonna sit in and painting.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Me and Kobe were the best the Homies picture because that's not the story. But we both got on around the same year. You know, I remember because Brandy the singer Brandy and our best of friends since eleven years old, and her and Kobe went to the prom together, right, and we was all we all kind of got on around that same time because he went straight from high school into the league. So what was it like, man like knowing him for real? For real? Because everything about me running to him and it was always good vibes and conversation, but it was all like bits and pieces. I've never like hung out with him for three four hours and just sat across like this and chopped it up, like what made him so different other than his skill level and all that he accomplished, Like what what type of tiger? What leg yo? That motherfucker's in chense?
Speaker 4: Like? Was it ever like or was it most most people as a teenager, especially all of us, you know, we was thinking just playing basketball, having fun, going mex with girls. Like at a young age, he had a hit list of all the top players in our class, and his people was focused on being better and destroying all than when he's seen them at a teenager. I don't know no other teenager that played basketball and not area that was thinking like that we alway having fun.
Speaker 2: We wanted the new shoes, you know what I'm saying. We wanted to be fly. He was thinking being the greatest basketball player of all time as a teenager.
Speaker 4: And that was his conversation. And I'm talking about from work. Walkthrough is at McDonald's game. It's footage that's Richard Hamilton posts on his page. We're doing a walk through. He catched the ball, swipe hard and go dunk it. It's like it's just a walk through.
Speaker 2: Both So he was just different, Like his will to win and will to be great.
Speaker 4: You can't teach that. And I don't think you've very you probably won't ever see it again.
Speaker 2: But it was sparked by Jordan, Yes, and his father, Yes, his father Jim. He was able to even identify and connect to m J. And then he like, I want to even be bigger and better. But it was it was a constant appetite of aggression. Great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I got a chance to like really really get to know him once he became teammates and then post career, and you know, obviously you see his greatness on the court and in his driving will, but you know, I got a chance to see like the father, you know, the coach, you know, the way he looked out for people, the way he loved people, the way he tried to inspire people, and really took that same grind and Jackson and basketball and wanted to put it in business and again to help people. You know. He was telling us both like the last time we talked to him, like I don't want to be known for my last twenty years. I'm like, Nika, you're coach Bryant. Five championships Los Angelakers wanted to He's like, I want to be known for the next twenty you know what I mean. So he was always kind of whatever it was gonna he was gonna put his mind to. He was going to be the best at Like that's how much. But again I see them cool, relaxed, talking shit, you know, back and forth. So it wasn't I didn't, No, No, I knew him in passing. I didn't know the younger Kobe. When I got a chance to meet obviously the older Kobe, it was just a lot different.
Speaker 2: I've heard and I don't know if this is true. It's nothing bad, but I've heard that it doesn't matter how often you were around him. He just never let anybody get all the way too familiar. It was always a you know or was there ever like something that felt like, oh that they were all best friends and we all like, was it ever?
Speaker 3: Like, No, he didn't let everybody in. He didn't. And I even asked him about that too. I used to tell like, why don't you show the world this? And He's like, nah, I can't show these motherfuckers at you know what I mean. So like if he allowed you to come in, and I can't even say I like you said, I wouldn't say I'm super like, but he allowed me in, you know what I mean, around him and the kids and and you know, kind of the family, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: And yeah, he had a little MJ him to where he's trying to get one up on everybody, and not in a bad way. He's just thinking why competition, Like he's a thinker. He was a thinker, you know what I'm saying. Even on the court, you know what I'm saying. His game showed it, but his i Q of basketball was just as high as anybody's, you know what I'm saying. That's what people don't understand about Kobe That's why he was so relentless because he can outthink you. He was already great with the ball, and when, like you, sometimes you guard him, you in awe, like fucking Kobe Bryant, So he's already mind fucked you.
Speaker 2: You know what hit you with some ship? You know what I'm saying. Like he was just different, Bro, He was different? Though, will it will there ever be a such thing in your mind as athletes of because I don't live in that world obviously, But like obviously Kobe is Kobe, And before Kobe, that was Magic Johnson and kind of the rain of energy Kareem because I'm West Coast all day, so Kareem Magic Johnson and then Kobe. But as much as Lebron mean to all of us in the game, is Kobe like that tough of an act to follow because of what he meant to us all and then the loss? Will will anyone ever be able to kind of ever feel the peak of success on that level because of the tragedy in your mind?
Speaker 4: For me, it's different because I can separate the two, Like I know how I felt about Kobe as a basketball player, as playing against him, as knowing him as as a kid, But I also know how my emotions shifted when he passed, So can I look at it from I can speak on him being an athlete and the great basketball player, but I could also speak of what we miss him by him being gone, You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So it's I can separate the.
Speaker 3: Two, huh. I mean, I think obviously Lebron's greatness is Lebron's greatness. But I think, you know, for someone to get drafted here as like we, like he said, you grew up in front of our eyes. He grew up in front of the world's eyes as well, from seventeen years old to you know, row the ship until the till the ship sink, when he could have jumped and went somewhere else. So I don't think anyone will ever be more impactful to the Lakers historic name than Kobe for what he meant to it, the championships he won, and then obviously the way he went.
Speaker 4: Out, and we'll never see, you know, the same time, we'll never see nothing like that, Kobe Jordan, none of that ever again.
Speaker 2: And it's clear that crazy. Yeah. See Lebron man, he a fellow capital, and we got the same birthday December thirtieth. In my mind, he's definitely one of my best friends. In my mind, you'll never see a Lebron James seeing him in the shop, man, just like I seen this this lab. I'm yo, Man, that's my nigga. He just don't know it yet, right, But yeah, Man, I appreciate y'all having me on appreciation plan. Man. I'm grateful. Man, I've been I've been looking at I've been looking at y'all man forever. Man, I wish you all the best. Man, appreciate you. Thanks for coming to my wedding and sliding out like home. I gotta tell you why I slid out. Man, Oh, we didn't care. We didn't care, you did. I showed my job. Man, you was good. But outside of that, man, the most uncomfortable thing for me is to show up to a man's biggest and most incredible day. Still make it, make it about me, Yeah, because it was show was gonna be. I did my thing about that because he was.
Speaker 3: Over in the corner by me. He was singing over in the corner, making all.
Speaker 2: The home crying, and everybody wanted to get up and say, man, I grew a man. I remember when you. You know all that I don't want that energy to shift me at all that I did. You know he asked me to sing it the wedd I was here, I'm here with my best and killed out of here. Kill right. Appreciate that's alright.
Speaker 3: Man, Tyre, We appreciate you. You catch this on Showtime Basketball, YouTube and the iHeart Platform Black Effects. We'll see y'all next week