Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we're wondering how much negative feedback it'll take for the new NWSL Boston team to change its name marketing approach.
Speaker 2: In hold general five cool colors though.
Speaker 1: On today's show, we'll be talking with longtime ESPN writer Michael Voppel about the WNBA Finals ahead of Game three.
Speaker 2: Plus we ask why too many Balls dot Com is a thing.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty four, we hear from you Slices, and we embrace the beginning of hoodie season. It's all coming up right after this. Welcome back, Orange Slices. Here's what you need to know today in WNBA News. Game three of the Finals is tonight and the Minnesota Links are at home for the first time in the series. They'll try to avoid drop it a game in front of the crowd at Target Center after they stole one on New York Liberty Turf in Game one of the series. Coverage begins with WNBA Countdown on ESPN at seven thirty East and the game tips at eight. We'll have more on that matchup with our interview later in the show. A cool note, by the way, the duel between Minnesota and New York is currently on pace to set a viewership record for a five game series, so last Thursday's game on ESPN had the largest audience for Game one of a WNBA Finals series in league history, with one point one four million viewers.
Speaker 2: Pretty awesome.
Speaker 1: In NWSL news, NWSL Boston, set to begin play in twenty twenty six, has a name Boss Nation Football Club BOS. It's an anagram for the term Bostonian. The team revealed that championship green will be the primary color, with several accent colors per news release, quote Relentless, Raspberry, Loyal, Charcoal, Daring, pink, Rise, yellow, and orange press, which speak to the rich diversity of Boston's neighborhoods and the team's values and signal a new era in the city's sports landscape. The name, the hype video the landing page, which was too many balls dot com are getting mixed reviews to put a kindly more on that in a moment. Meantime, more soccer news, we told you about the three point deduction and two hundred thousand dollars fine Angel CITYFC received for exceeding the league's salary cap this season, while on Monday, the club pushed back a little. ACFC released a statement expressing disappointment with the three point deduction and more. The statement reads, in part, quote, we disagreed with one aspect of the league's conclusions. Our understanding, based on the league's salary cap rules, was that childcare payments do not count against the salary cap. The statement continued, we believe that ACFC did not exceed the salary cap and formally requested a reconsideration of the three point reduction end quote. The league stood firm on the deduction, denying acfc's appeal, and the NWSL rules are actually pretty clear cut on this, so it's surprising that ACFC used this defense. According to step Young of the Athletic per last year and this year's competition manual, it hasn't changed. Players with kids can receive a dependent care stipend up to the IRS maximum five thousand dollars without a hit to the salary cap, but quote any amount in excess of the IRS annual maximum will count against the team's salary cap.
Speaker 2: End quote.
Speaker 1: We'll keep you updated on this story as more reporting comes out in hockey news. The PWHL just released its regular season schedule and the season gets underway one month earlier than last year. The first puck drops November thirtieth, and the league's six teams will each play thirty games in the regular season. That's six more than last year. Regular season wraps up on May third, twenty twenty five. Last season, Minnesota won the Walter Cup, beating Boston in a five game final series for the Ages, and I'm expecting more drama this season and hoping for some fresh jerseys along with the new team names and logos that dropped in the offseason. College hoops were getting close to one of the most anticipated women's college basketball seasons ever, and the AP dropped its preseason top twenty five list. Don Staley's reigning champions South Carolina game Cocks are in the top spot, followed by Yukon, USC and Texas. Notably, Iowa, Stanford, and Tennessee all received votes but didn't crack the list. This year feels primed for some historic for mitzs and don't worry, we'll get you all the news and notes you need before the season tips off on November fourth, just nineteen days from today. Also interesting tidbit conferences are releasing their picks for preseason player awards and the SEC has three, yes, three co preseason Players of the Year. There was a three way tie in the voting between Texas's Madison Booker and Flaje Johnson and Anissa Morro, both from LSU. Morow and Johnson were number two and number three in scoring behind Angel Reese for the Tigers last season, and Booker.
Speaker 2: Led the way for the Longhorns.
Speaker 1: Five other players in the conference also received Player of the Year votes.
Speaker 2: Finally, a quick correction.
Speaker 1: The other day we said the Seattle rain hadn't missed the postseason since twenty thirteen. They were actually last on the outside looking in in twenty seventeen. We apologize for the error. Those responsible have been sacked.
Speaker 2: And another note from me here.
Speaker 3: When we talked Liberty on Monday, I mentioned Benijelni Hamilton played for the Libs during their Westchester County Center days, but she actually got to New York in twenty twenty one, one year after the franchise started laying a Barclay Center. We apologize again for the error. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
Speaker 1: And if you're confused, watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Speaker 2: You Heathens.
Speaker 1: All right, before we get to today's interview, we have to talk Boss Nation real quick.
Speaker 2: Okay, the team name, the logo of the brand.
Speaker 1: They were all introduced using the campaign too Many Balls upun about the number of famous men's sports teams in Boston and the need.
Speaker 2: For more women's sports.
Speaker 1: Now. First, the video is conspicuously missing any mention of the town's women's professional hockey team, PWHL Boston.
Speaker 2: And the unusual team name Boss Nation.
Speaker 1: It's, like I said, an anagram of Bostonian and per statement quote doesn't just represent the fans, it signifies a collective identity made up entirely of its fan base. Hmmm, Alex, We're gonna get into more of this tomorrow, but as a greater Boston area fan, I'm gonna need your first reaction to me.
Speaker 4: My first thought was, this is the bad name that you put in the mix to make your good name or your mediocre name stand out and really shine.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: It's like the throwaway, like I just need some fluff in here to make sure the people like the thing. I like that being said Jennifer Epstein was on CBS Morning's Plus to announce it. Wearing I thought a pretty cool jacket with the Boss Nation logo in a circle, Like I like that branding. I think the name is weird. I'm not usually somebody that feels really strongly one way or the other about new names, you know, I think it's hard actually to come up with a team name in the year twenty twenty four. We look back on old men's team names and it's like, if you were to name a team the Red Sox this year, like people would be so mad, like what a stupid name. So I think the bar is a lot higher. That being said, I think the campaign is way worse than the name. The fact that PWHL Boston is totally erased, the fact that bos and it has been a women's hockey city even before the PWHL, with the Boston Pride winning titles and having banners like it just is so bad to me that they erased another women's pro team in order to focus on a too Many Balls campaign.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, the name's just weird to me. I don't hate it. I'm not like offended by it, but it's just weird. It makes me think it'd be like sponsored by like Hugo Boss. It just sounds like it'd be more of like a a like a fashion campaign than a sports team like Boss Nation. Also, I agree with you on the too Many Balls, it feels like we're so far past that, Like that feels very late nineties, early two thousands, like fempower was about, like we.
Speaker 2: Don't need that anymore now.
Speaker 1: Not only does it feel like there's so much for women's sports to stand on on its own that doesn't have to be a pushing back on men, but also, like with the whole trans conversation, like getting rid of balls thing also just feels touchy and unnecessary. Like I said this on tw but like for the olds among us, it feels like there'd be a website called too Many Balls dot com that would be competing with the other BROI sports blogs that were like the beginning of the wild Wild West of sports blogs back in the day the Kissing Susie Colber with Leather Sports by Brooks, where it was like half hot chicks and half sports content. Like it feels of that time, so it's very strange to see it right now. And like I'm all for dick jokes and ball jokes, it just doesn't feel like the way to best professionally and maturely and in a cool way offer up a new product, so that I didn't like. I do love the colors, but I'm confused because they look like they're black and green, and then based on the press release, it's green and then like eleventeen other colors, So I'm not sure where that's gonna.
Speaker 4: Go, which are also the same colors as PWHL Boston, which is also now Boston Fleet. I have to get in the habit of saying that name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they picked the same colors but didn't acknowledge their existence. And also worth noting there was a Boston Breakers soccer team. I understand wanting to separate yourself from that team how the franchise went everything else, but there almost feels like there could be at least a reference of sort of Phoenix rising from the Ashes thing, as opposed to a complete elimination of the existence of that team.
Speaker 2: It just the whole thing feels.
Speaker 4: Even the press release has a line that is playfully pointing out that in a city filled with championships, it's sports heroes need not all be male, Like, okay, well what about Hillary Knight?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Oh, I think it's Honestly, it's getting back to your point, Sarah, of like what era this feels like it's from, and me, it just feels like a red flag of if this is the campaign, what is it signifying about? What else is happening behind the scenes in terms of the professional layout of this team.
Speaker 2: Completely agree.
Speaker 1: We don't want to make any snap judgments, but it does feel like it's a try hard from a different time and it feels like we're in a different place now, and I really hope that this is not indicative of how the larger team and franchise will be run and managed.
Speaker 2: Okay, much more on this tomorrow.
Speaker 1: We got to take a quick break, But first I want to tell y'all that we got a survey that we want you Orange slices to fill out.
Speaker 2: It's really important to us.
Speaker 1: We are in the business of constant improvement here and we need your help to do it. So if you visit the link in the episode notes, it'll take two minutes of your time. Alex Meisch and I would really appreciate it, and one lucky participant will win a sports prize pack, So you know you want to fill it out now. I promise it's super quick, super helpful to us. Thank you when we come back.
Speaker 2: Michael Voppel on who's got the edge in Game three? The Links or the Limps?
Speaker 1: Joining us now an ESPN senior writer who has reported on women's sports for the Worldwide Leader since nineteen ninety six. A mazoograd that first cut his teeth in newspapers. In twenty twenty two, he received the Kurt Gouty Media Award for Print Media from the Nasmith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame for contributions to basketball media. He's a lifelong Saint Louis Cardinals fan, but we'll try not to hold that against them.
Speaker 2: It's Michael Volpol what's up, Michael?
Speaker 5: How you doing, Sarah? I think we were both equally unhappy during this baseball season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I heard it's still going on, but who could eat track of those things.
Speaker 2: I'm just ready for spring training next year.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk hoops because on Monday you dropped a comprehensive history of the Liberty franchise.
Speaker 2: You've been covering ball.
Speaker 1: Since the mid nineties, so I want to know what stands out to you from those early days of the Liberty because I loved reading about you know, Rebecca Lobo telling you Rosy O'donald, Tyra Banks, Gregory Hines, Jone Jet, Penny Marshall, all these folks courtside, and there were huge fan bases then, like it was really a thing in the nineties to be a Liberty fan.
Speaker 2: What stands out to you from back then?
Speaker 5: It was a lot of fun going to those games, and I think those teams were teams that embodied New York. And the interesting thing about that, Sarah is there was only you know one where I say, true new york Er, Sue Wix, who's this new York is new York gets But you had people from all over the country, including Teresa Weatherspoon from very little town Pineland, Texas, and they all came to New York and became New Yorkers. Stu Wicks told me something I thought was sort of you could use this as an example of any occupation. She said, people go to New York to become who they are, and I think that's what that group did, and you're right, there was so there were a lot of celebrities there. They were a fun team to watch, and it was an atmosphere that I think really helped propel the early years of the w.
Speaker 1: On a recent show, we talked about an excerpt from Those Guys Have All the Fun, the book about ESPN the Oral History, and one of the things that came up was that a ESPN exec was intentional about trying to bury the WNBA, wasn't a fan, wanted to put it on the side channels, and was effective in sort of preventing the growth that might have had happened. Do you think that that's the main reason that when we hear some of these statistics like biggest audience sense and it's usually the late nineties or highest attendance sense, and it's sometimes back in the early years that those Halcyon DAEs for the Liberty and other teams that were early in the WRE could have. You know, it resulted in even more growth, and we could be even further along than we are now if not for some of the intention of people in holding the league back.
Speaker 5: I think that's a fair thing to say, Sarah, when you understand the culture that we were dealing with, which was openly hostile. It's one thing for television executives to say, you know what, I'm not sure this is going to work we've got to make business decisions. I don't feel like a lot of the decisions that got made and unfortunately sometimes still get made with women's sports is coming all the time from people who don't have other agendas. They may not, I will give them some credit. They may not always understand their own biases, but there's definitely biases. And I found it interesting people. You know, you mentioned that people can figure out who this was because this gentleman was right.
Speaker 2: We already mentioned it on the show. Yeah.
Speaker 5: What I find interesting in sort of a fun ironic way is he went to the University of Iowa, and I think we know that somebody from the University of Iowa has really helped these days. Sometimes I'm not sure it would go the same, Yeah, exactly, but the way that you described that, which is very true, that at least initially there was so much positive forward momentum and then there was some intentional actions that stopped.
Speaker 2: That moment Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's interesting, and we talked about it when I was still full time at ESPN and now even part time at ESPN, that it's both such a massive part of the rights packages and highlighting women's athletes and giving amazing storytelling, and also it feels like there are other ways that it could be using its power and its influence, and certainly feels like maybe it did at that time. And so we're looking at incredible, huge growth now, but we also maybe could be further along if not for some of those stretches where people were acting with intention to hold it back. In that Liberty story that you wrote, you accurately dubbed the Liberty franchise history as tortured. Nineteen playoff appearances, five finals appearances, and no titles yet for the Libs, what has to change for New York to finally get the victory this year?
Speaker 5: They have the talent, you know, we've seen that the last two years by bringing in especially bringing in bringing a store, you know, at in her prime years, the biggest free agent signing we've seen in the league. And the fact that you have an another MVP and John will Jones who's really adjusted her game to play well with Brionna scort. I think Sabrina Yanesque has grown up so much right before our eyes in her game, Sarah, because you know how good she was in college, but that game had to evolve. She's done that and I also think she's just a really good, smart leader for this group. Can they get past the can they get past their history? And this is what I think. You know this as a fan. It's almost, I would say, eerie sometimes how franchise is in different sports. Even though everybody who was involved in that history twenty five thirty years ago is no longer with the team, those histories can still weigh on teams and it can take a while. They have slain one demon, if you will. They got past the Las Vegas asis, but that didn't get him a championship, right. They still have to jump one more hurdle.
Speaker 1: It's interesting you say that because I actually remember on Around the Horn talking about the Cubs during their twenty sixteen World Series run and saying to all the fans who were losing their minds about the deficit they had dug for themselves and how they were all going to feel the weight of one hundred plus years of not having won. And I said, the longest tenured person on the team is Anthony Rizzo, which I believe at the time was eight years. He is not carrying around your seventy years of disappointed fandom, right, like most of these people have only been around for a couple years, and of course they get it, but it's not the same. And I hope that that's the case for the Liberty as well, that yes, they know that they're trying to end this streak of no franchise titles, but also they in particular folks like Brianna Courtney Vanderslo like people have won elsewhere and they come to this perhaps with a little bit less of these sphincter tightening than the fans of the Liberty who have felt this way for the entirety of the franchise's existence.
Speaker 2: You know you mentioned Sabrina and Nescu. Gosh, you're so right.
Speaker 1: Her game has changed this year in ways that have been so important to this team, and in this series. She was decent numbers in Game one, but terrible shooting percentage, and then in Game two effective as a scorer in the first half and then became a facilitator and defender in the second half, which was just what the team needed as other folks like Benija Laney Hamilton and Brianna Stewart were scoring well. Can you put in perspective how important her improvement was for this year's team, particularly during stretches where Courtney Vanderslut had to be out and wasn't available for the team, and sab stepped up as more of a point guard type player.
Speaker 5: That's exactly what happened, you know. Unfortunately, very sadly, Courtney Vanderslute lost her mom did have a long battle with cancer. So Courtney was out for several games, and during that time, Sabrina, you know, really had to be a rock for the franchise in terms of playing the point guard role. Is it is so insightful that you bring up the differences between in games one and two because you could look at I think Sabrina only took one shot in the second half and in tours and some people, if you just look at a box score, you might say, oh, well, you know what happened, she had fourteen points. Well what happened is she adjusted to the defense that Minnesota was playing, and as you said, she became a facilitator and defender. I think that made a big difference, because when you're somebody who can score the way she does, sometimes you have to realize they're really selling out on me. I can I can help this team win other ways? And she said something actually today, right before the Liberty practice, she said, I don't want to be the type of player that teams can say, if we stop her from shooting, we can beat the Liberty And that is exactly what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, being a multi threat. Yep, yep, that's great that she gets that. All right.
Speaker 1: Game three shifts to Minneapolis. What do you see changing as the target center?
Speaker 5: Obviously you're going to have the different vibe, but this is a Liberty team that had the best road record in the league, So I think that they're not, you know, going in intimidated, but it is going to be very loud, very huge crowd. I think they're hoping they're going to get a sell out for this. But from a strategy standpoint, it'll be interesting to see what Minnesota tries to do in this case. Two take away Sabrina's facilitating, Like you know, they're going to say, look, maybe now we're going to try to force her back into a little bit more of a scoring rule. What are they going to do with Benije Lani who turned out to be, you know, a player who really really hurt them in Game two. That's what's so interesting about series, isn't it. It's like you really do see well team. Teams will talk about adjustments sometimes and you're like, I'm sure what they adjusted in this series, we really have seen them adjust both game to game and in the course of games. So that'll be really interesting to see because you know, whoever wins this game obviously then becomes a favorite because it's a fine series.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: New York Liberty are a super team, and you kind of just alluded to that, like good luck, am I going to stop sab or Brienna or John Quell or.
Speaker 2: Even Salute or Bendija.
Speaker 1: They are a constellation of stars that excelled in Seattle and Connecticut and Chicago before joining the Liberty.
Speaker 2: The Links are a more balanced roster.
Speaker 1: These are great players that are supporting one true superstar in Nafisa Collier. Can you talk about the job that Cheryl Reeve has done with this team making it to the finals tied one one so far with a very different kind of team than what the Liberty have.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, they started the free agency. You look at what they were facing, which is they bring five players back. You know, those are five good players because they include Nafisa Collier and Calea McBride and Bridget Carlton, but they had to make the right decisions in free agency. And Cheryl Reeve has you know, she's been in her her job for fifteen years, which, as we know now in pro sports is you know, several feels like several lifetimes. There are very few coaches in any of the other sports pro sports in the United States that have been around that long. She has stayed true to this philosophy that you need to play our style of basketball. When she went away from that, it's kind of burned her. And I think she realized that she went to Courtney Williams and said, I know you don't think your point guard. I think you are and I want you to be our point guard. And that she's responded, you know, fantastically to that same way with somebody like Alana Smith. She understond Alana Smith was a really really good defensive player coming into her own. So the bottom line is, are they a super team? Maybe not as one word super team, but are they a super team?
Speaker 2: You can describe them as such. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: This series features two teams with a bunch of long athletic players six four and up running the floor, making graceful plays hitting threes. You know, you got Brianna Stewart bringing the ball up the court, Leoni Phoebich strain in threes and if you sa Kyle your effortless fadeaway js that I call feed aways. Are we looking at the future of the W in this series, Like, is it going to be a necessity to have these unicorns going forward in order to be successful?
Speaker 5: I think so. And I think those unicorns again, like with any other sport, they start popping up, you know, they become less rare because people pattern their games after those types of players that they see. And you know it also we're seeing we saw this with the Aces two star in the last two years. You have to have five scorers on the court. Now you can say with the Ace since Stokes wasn't really that, but it's almost like their four scores are so good it made up for her not being a fifth scorer. I think that's part of it. You have to have, you know, those scoring threats from every position and stretch the defense out the way that I think both of these teams are able to do.
Speaker 4: Hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is interesting how even Fee has talked about how watching maya more help to turn her into the player that she is, and now there will be players coming up watching players like Fee and pri and everybody else and realizing that that's going to.
Speaker 2: Be a necessity. I wish i'd had that when I was coming up. I was so tall.
Speaker 1: They were like, just stand in the paint, you'll figure it out. We don't need to work on your ball handling. Would have been would have been helpful.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's exactly what it was like. They wouldn't They wouldn't let you do anything else. I would imagine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, Cheryl reeves so much turnover in the w and we've seen it even this season as we wait the news of some new coaches at some at some at some teams. But she's managed to stick around for fifteen seasons in Minnesota. How does she keep winning with different players and stars and looks.
Speaker 5: She's a really good coach who's spent, you know, most of her career at the professional level. She started like most coaches do, so certainly most women coaches her age. You know, there wasn't a pro league to go to, so she started in college, but then made that transition and really believed that that was that was where she was going to make her mark as a coach. So she's worked with you know, you look back to, you know, early in her career working with Bill Lambier. She's worked with a lot of different types of coaches, and I think it just the way she breaks down gains. I mean, I feel like Cheryl could coach anybody at any level because she just understands basketball that well. But she's also has a really good relationship obviously with Glenn Taylor, the owner of the Timberwolves and the Lynx, and you know, she's been able to as an executive help shape the team that she coaches. So it's worked well.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: I know she's not the GM now, she's President of Basketball Operations, but she was in a GM role and she still obviously has a lot to do with the makeup of the months.
Speaker 1: When that works, it works great when you've got the person deciding the talent they want and how to work with it, and then working with it well. Before Game one of the WNBA Finals, commissioner Kathy Engelbert announced that the final starting next season will be best of seven.
Speaker 2: Do you approve of that change?
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 5: I think it's nice to have it be uniform. You know with the other pro sports men's coat books leets in the United States.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I just want more basketball, especially the way this series has been so far. The first round is still a best of three, but the format is going to be one one one, giving each team at least one home playoff game. A lot of folks are going to say this is the Caitlin Clark effect, and that's probably part of it.
Speaker 2: But I've been rallying for this.
Speaker 1: For years, I feel like, and I was only a couple of years in an ownership role with a team, but being in the meetings and talking about what a big deal it is for the bottom line when you can host a playoff game, make playoff merch, get fans through the doors for the playoff experience, and make them want to come back to the regular season because they remember what it was like during those heightened moments of playoff play.
Speaker 2: Is huge.
Speaker 1: And I think this is an absolutely slam dunk decision. Now that they have an ability to travel and they've got the charter flights and more money for it, do you agree with that?
Speaker 2: Changed to yeah?
Speaker 5: One hundred percent, as you know, you know, when they started, you know, because the league's had a couple of different playoff formats. When they started, it was you started the lower seed and then games two and three would be at the higher seed, and that way you guaranteed you'd have games at both places. But that really didn't it didn't seem really fair when no higher seed you have to start out on the road.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Then they went to the format in twenty sixteen when they stopped having the conference the conferences be split, so you just took top eight seeds and they went with a single elimination game in the first two rounds. And again, Sarah, that's a problem because there's no guarantee of having a home game. Then this year, you know, then when they switched back and made it you know, got rid of the single elimination, which I never liked the single elimination no format. Then they have the issue of, like you said, not only do you you maybe you have to go three in order to get a home game if you're the lower seed. Then if you're the higher seeds, you might have to win a series on the road, you know, best of three. This is the best way to do it. It's more travel. But as you said, you really don't want to have a team make a playoffs and their fans don't even get to see them played.
Speaker 1: Once at I like the decision. I also think, you know, you're moving to forty four games. We're trying to keep up with textualizing all the records being broken as they change the number of games being played. But they keep moving it on us forty four games starting next year. But it feels necessary with the expansion that's coming next year. We're gonna have Golden State Valcyiriees, We're gonna have two more teams in twenty six. So does that also feel like sort of a necessity for the league to keep expanding the length of the regular season.
Speaker 5: Yes, it does, And I thought for a while maybe fifty is like an ultimate sweet spot for the league. It you know, it's unless the league changed the calendar completely. They're never going to go to like an eighty game, right, the eighty two game like the NBA. But it's it's still gonna be tough, Like, you know, you're still talking about having to start you know, mid maybe even they may move it up a week to the first week of May and then ending you know at the at the end of October. And the women obviously a also have to deal with the Olympics and the World Championship, so every other year you have an international event that you have to work into the schedule as well. But yeah, I think I think the expansion of games, expansion of the lead, those are all things that show a healthy growth.
Speaker 1: Michael, you have been at it for a very very long time, and I don't think you get the credit you deserve for all the work you've done, so at least on our show, we're giving you all the flowers. I mean, working in women's sports since ninety six and holding it down at ESPN while plenty of other people get a little bit more shine, you are doing yeomen's work.
Speaker 2: So thank you so much for coming on.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you, Sarah, and you didn't call me a tomatohead, which a lot of my all time Cubs fan friends did. Okay, Yeah, thank you, Thank you very much for having me. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much to Michael for hopping on with us. Excited for the game tonight, we have to take another break, but when we come back, porta potty run ins of the pleasant variety stick around. Welcome back orde slices we've been hearing from y'all a lot, and we absolutely love it. The other day, Alex asked whether you've overheard some unexpected folks talking about women's sports. We still want more of those stories, but Stacy wrote in with a story that's a little less eavesdropping, more participating. She says, I went to the Gotham game recently and stayed in a hotel in New Jersey near the stadium. I met two women in the hotel elevator who clearly were also going to the game. We set our pleasantries go bats and that was kind of bit. After the game, I ran into one of the women in the lobby and we started talking about the game. Turns out she lives a few miles from me in Boston and doesn't have anyone in her immediate life to talk women's sports with, so of course we became instant pals and are now texting during the WNBA games and catching up on the NWSL and soon to start up PWHL, making plans to watch a game out soon. She is my first three hundred and sixty degree women's sports friend.
Speaker 2: Stacy. We freaking love this.
Speaker 1: Also, Alex and Misha heard from Twitter user at lac nine who made friends with the guy while waiting for the porta potty at a music festival in Boise, Idaho. She wrote, quote, neither of us have any South Carolina connections.
Speaker 2: Just both really love Asia Wilson. Love that.
Speaker 1: Send us more folks also in parent Trap and I'm not alone here updates. Shout out to at Saffron Monsoon one on Twitter who wrote to me quote, I was also horrified Misha and Alex were too young or something for parent Trap, but wanted to let you know. Hailey Mills was at the D twenty three Disney Expo this summer and sang Let's Get Together live on stage. Lots of people uploaded it on YouTube. I think you'd enjoy it.
Speaker 2: You know what. I did enjoy it because I looked it up. And thank you Saffron Monsoon.
Speaker 1: Also Veronica I, who sent me the clip of the Hailey Mills twins singing Let's get Together on Insta.
Speaker 2: You get it, Veronica, you really get it.
Speaker 1: Finally, Slices Dogs, We asked you all a lot of questions about dogs, and you had answers on Twitter. Sixty nine percent of you said you can be a gluegal and a.
Speaker 2: Dog, which is wild. To me disagree.
Speaker 1: Sixty nine percent of you said you can be a superstar and a dog, twenty percent said dogs are role players, eleven percent said Kelsey Plum aka plum Dog is the only.
Speaker 2: One that can be both.
Speaker 1: And to the question is there a place for cats on the court, the leading vote getter with forty one percent was Stop It.
Speaker 2: Producer Alex.
Speaker 1: Though I did like Randon Potkey's answer the place for cats officiating now love that shout out to front of the show Shimmy Gray Miller, who said she and her wife and broadcast partner Lisa Byington talk about dogs all the time. She said in part quote, Yes, you can be a dog and a superstar Slash all Star, DT, Kobe Caitlin, Sabrina, Kelsey Angel, you can be a dog and a good or a role player Maybrey, Courtney Benija. You can't be a dog and a glue player two totally different categories and types of players.
Speaker 2: Alicia Clark is a glue not a dog. FYI end quote.
Speaker 1: Also kurf build Thrasher on Instagram said, wisely of a place for a cat on the court, quote maybe a cat dog like fee could be considered cat like she observes, doesn't waste energy, carefully makes remove and goes in for the kill before you see her coming.
Speaker 2: But Fee still has a dog in her.
Speaker 1: You know what You're onto something curve build thrasher because Fee is basically a big cat, which is like a cat dog, a lion, a tiger, a lynx.
Speaker 2: Yep, Fee being on the links is perfect. Thanks y'all.
Speaker 1: We love that you're listening and we want you to get in the game every day too. So here's our good gameplay of the day for today.
Speaker 2: Easy one.
Speaker 1: Clear your schedule tonight, make sure you're tuned in for Game three of the WNBA Finals, and while you're watching, fill out our survey. We've linked to it in our show notes. You know you're gonna have a commercial break, take two seconds fill it out for us.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: We always love to hear from you. Hit us up on email good game at wondermedianetwork dot com or leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two o four fifty seventy and don't.
Speaker 2: Forget to subscribe, Rate and review. It's easy.
Speaker 1: Watch The Arrival of Hoodie Season rating five out of five. Cozy's review, Love Me Some summer sun. I love warm weather, but that first stretch of fall when you throw on a hoodie in some soft pants and take a crisp walk outside and then don't really wear anything but.
Speaker 2: A hoodie for like the next four months. Perfection.
Speaker 1: Now it's your turn, rate and review. Thanks for listening, slices, See you tomorrow. Good game, Michael, good game, all the dogs out there, fuck you, tired old ball jokes, but not all ball jokes.
Speaker 2: Time and a place people.
Speaker 1: Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are Alex Azzie and Misha Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan, and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rudder, Britney Martinez, Grace Lynch, and Lindsay Crawdawell.
Speaker 2: Production assistants from Lucy Jones and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain