Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Merton Talk to Money, the podcast amos people who know the markets explain the markets. I'm joined Stevick, senior reporter of the Bloomberg News and the author of the Money Distilled newsletter. I'm filling in for Merton this week is she's still in Holdy, So this week I'm speaking with Alison Schrager, who's a Bloomberg opinion columnist and senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute. Alison wrote a book called and Economist Walks into a Broadle and Other Unexpected Places to Understand Risk, and now she's get a new book coming out which is called Worth the Risk, The Seven myths that keep us from taking the chances we need to take. I wanted to speak to Alison because I'm a fan of her columns. She kind of covers similar things to me and the she's trying about personal finance and investment, but she's writing about it from the US perspective. And one of the things I've find fascinating is there's actually a massive overlap despite the fact that we tend to think of the UK is having very different issues to the US. So This is one reason I wanted to get her on, and so in today's show, we talk about her new book. We talk about her view that it's actually a lack of risk taking that's leading to the anger that we see in societies, and that's manifesting itself by frustration over inequality, etc. And actually what we need to do is be taking more risks. We talk about which country's got the best pension system, and we also talk about the US housing market and the different views on whether a house is an asset you should be putting all your money into it, or whether the stock market is actually a better place for your money. Alison, Welcome to Merton Talks Money.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for having me, is said, I'm a longtime fan, so.
Speaker 2: Well see here. I've been looking forward to interviewing you for a while, so thanks very much for making the time now. I only just found out that your new book is coming out, and so i'n't have the chance to read it, but I did read the introduction they very kindly sent to me, and it really sounds fascinating, and it also sounds that it may explain some of the dissatisfaction that's been widespread across well, basically across the world since the two thousand and eight crisis. Can you just talk us through your thesis. What's the book about.
Speaker 1: Well, it's all about our changing relationship with risk, which happens over time. But I sort of make I guess it was a counterintuitive argument. Is that people keep saying that the reason where we're so unhappy is that we face all these sort of massive risks we can't control, and I think it's actually the opposite, is that we've taken great pains to remove risk from our life, and that also sort of removes upside in the chance for possibility and sort of is a big part of our motivation. And I think that's honestly, what's keeping us down is the sort of lack of possibility, lack of upside and the ability and a lack of ability to take the risks that are meaningful or important to us.
Speaker 2: As it basically there's the risk of not taking enough risk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess they say you make zero shots you don't take And you know, there are obviously good reasons to remove risks from people's lives, like our social safety net. It's a great example of that. But the thing is, if you take away risk entirely. You also take again the possibility of upside, of earning more, of feeling like you tested yourself, which is also super important to well being and also very important to moving the economy forward. I think we're seeing this a lot in Europe. People like keep saying, well, we need to remove all these regulations or we need to integrate better, and you know, but the regulations are there for a reason. I mean, their feature, not a bug, and that particularly Continental Europe is much less comfortable with risk. They've made They've built a very large welfare state, they have a lot of restrictions on firing people. This is all to reduce risk, but the downside of that is that you're going to have less growth. I'm an efficient market tonymists, so I tend to think that you know, no risk, no reward. So the same is true not only in financial markets, but also economic growth in general. So if you construct an economy where it's really hard to experience any downside risk, you also are going to get up with less growth and less upside risk.
Speaker 2: It's really interesting because you talk about Europe is more risk averse, and I think that's perfectly that's very reasonable why do we have this level of anger? Because you recently wrote a piece about asking what Americans are better off? But they're they're very angry, kind of like talking about people feeling frustrated. Where do you think that this is coming from? This sense that everyone feels somewhat hard done by?
Speaker 1: Well, again, I think part of it is they don't have that possibility of upside. They don't have that possibility of advancing like they used to, particularly when we're in a big economic transition which introduces uncertainty into our lives and you know, not being able to fully participate in that, but just sort of feeling like you deal with the stagnation. And I think the stagnation is largely a big part of the anger. I mean, it's also I think the anger in the if you look at almost every metric, you know, you know, liberalism worked. I mean, we are more prosperous, and that is true across the income distribution, even if the income distribution widened. But the question is why do people feel like the economy is broken and that it's not working for them when it actually delivered what it said it would and the goal has always been increasing prosperity and I think if you look at different income groups, you have different answers. You know, particularly lower middle income people are really being hammered by inflation. So when they say I am more soft than I was, say five seven years ago, they're not wrong. So I argue in my book, this is a population's particularly been cut out of meaningful risk taking. You know, we're putting more and more like they need to be protected, and they do. There's certainly said a case for a welfare state, but they also we've also like shut out upside for them, which you know is obviously you know, keeps them poor. And then you have the upper middle class, which is doing well but also is more locked in a genuine zero sum game with super rich people. And I think to them, they feel like the economy isn't working for them because they did say everything right as we say. You know, they went to the right schools, they studied something that sounded fancy, they moved to the cities, and it didn't work. You know, things have worked out for them by any sort of economic metric, but they still feel like they should be somewhere different. Or they see people who they went to school with who are getting ahead faster than they are. Part of that is that they're looking for these positional goods lots of private schools, sort of desirable housing in big cities that is in finite supply. But also I think they've also been sold something wrong, which is if anyone who says I did everything right, I should have gotten something kind of is giving the game away of like, well, if you do everything right, you also didn't take any risks. You didn't take meaningful risks, you didn't check in and say, well, what's meaningful to me in terms of moving my life or both economically, socially whatever, And if you just sort of follow the rule book, you're not going to sort of, I think, ultimately get that satisfaction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really interesting because obviously people highlight inequality as a driver of this frustration. But where you mentioned incomeing, equality in the US had expanded, and that's the incoming equality here is actually gone down. You know, they kind of they're certainly on the wage side and the earl inside there's been massive compression between the lowest percent on the highest percentile. So it's really interesting. So what you're basically saying is nothing to do with that. It's mostly about the people particularly further down not being able to kind of take the risks and not being able to or not necessarily not being able to do it, but but not participating presumably in the stock market. Is that what you're talking about, Well, they're different things.
Speaker 1: I think in America there is this sort of winding inequality and this of anyway, it's not true feeling that the economy is your sum. But people are getting richer in America, so as opposed to the UK and Europe, there is much more stagnation. And I try to explain to people in America if you think like a widening inequality but a growing economy is bad, wait till you have the alternative, which is the compression, which is the stagnation. People are a lot more unhappy when that happens. But the thing is in both cases you do have this sort of more people being shut out of risk, you know, particularly you know in your very high tax rates, which take away upside. That's another reason why sort of wealth tends to be in your much more generational. What you do is you see this persistence of their wealthiest family being the same generation after generation, and that is largely because you have such high income taxes, such high consumption taxes, which makes it much harder to accumulate a fortune. And they said, get all that upside, and it sort of again becomes perversely more unequal because the families that have generational wealth are the ones that stay wealthy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's difficult. Does a campaign. He had Gardy Stevenson, who I don't know, you me or me not have heard.
Speaker 1: Once, did a debate with him like six years ago. And that's what I tail was more I completely, but it was like during COVID when like everyone in their grandmother was doing like a lot of online content and I had no idea who he was, and some British person had me do this debate with him, and I honestly like barely remember. I remember looking at him in advance. I'm like, God, reckon, this is gonna be difficult. But it actually found it quite pleasant. And I do think we found some areas of commonality, if I recall, and I found him quite nice.
Speaker 2: And going back to your book, so the supaid, there's the seven myths that keep us from taking the chances we need to take. Ously I'm not going to ask you to go through them all, because you know people need to read the book. But is there one of these myths that stands out to you as being particularly counterintuitive.
Speaker 1: Well, one of them is that I hear a lot, which is you can't take risks until you're ready or in a secure place. And you know, first of all, I mean, first of all, most people don't have that luxury. Second of all, like often you know, the best risk takers are taking it sort of when they're down. And this idea that you have to like, have the job, you have to be married, you have to have all these things in place before you take risks only ensures you'll never get those things because it sort of keeps you from getting ahead. And I also mentioned they say in the field of motivation, like what gets us out of bed in the morning, this resolution of uncertainty is one of the biggest sources of motivation. So if you're just like I have to play by the rules, I have to do everything right, and then I can maybe start thinking about what's my dream? You know, how do I take risks in a meaningful way, You're just never going to get there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I suppose also if you can take more risks when you get less to lose as well, which is I think something that people often forget. But still moving on to the retirement pensions, you've described yourself as a retirement economist. That is that an official thing.
Speaker 1: No, it's not. I say it because you know, if you're in a economists, there's no other way to describe. I mean, there's like maybe fifteen other retirement economists who I identify that way. It's a made up field, to be fair, but I think it's accurate because in economics, you know, you could be a macroeconomist, microeconomist, financial economist, but if you're a retirement economist, you kind of are a lot of things. It's a macro question, it's a micro question, it's a finance question, it's a behavioral question, it's a labor question. So you kind of have to take things from all different fields. So I don't think, like, technically I'm a macro financial economist, because that would be my training. But I don't feel like that really is accurate.
Speaker 2: I suppose it does boil, don't they? And you've mentioned this yourself. It is the hardest problem in finance, certainly in personal finance, is managing your money so that you have enough so that it doesn't run out before you die, or that you don't have so much that you've wasted the early years of your life accumulating, only you know, find that you die before you've had the chance to enjoy it. But in those terms, what are the kind of the biggest mistakes that you see people making when they're thinking about the retirement and how to go about it.
Speaker 1: I think it's that they're thinking in terms of wealth then income. And I don't blame people for that. I blame the retirement industry. It happened like maybe like fifteen years before in America then the UK, is that we moved from these like traditional pensions to individual accounts like a forur own K.
Speaker 2: And this is so the traditional pensions where the defined benefit once yes, where you get a set income, and it was not in the in the US. I take it that was provided by the employer as well. Yes, yeah, why did that die out in the US.
Speaker 1: It's really expensive?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's okay, it's the same as why it died out here, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And it's not just like the income, the amount of contributions you have to put aside. It's a huge Like you're just talking about all the risk around outliving your assets, about managing asset risk. These are very expensive risks to manage, and it just became untenable, particularly as people were living longer, for employers to put this on secularly, as they were looking to grow and hire and make the economy more dynamic. So it's not bad that we moved to this new system because it means coverage increased a lot. You have like a lot more people with retirement accounts and retirement assets. But you know, I call it like the original sin of retirement of that you know, certainly in America, the four one K was meant to supplement the defined benefit plans, So we tend to sort of cast it as wealth, like you're supposed to accumulate a certain amount of money before you retire. But that sort of sets people up for failure because like, what do you do with this pile of money on day one of retirement? Like you said, it's the hardest problem. Bill Sharp has said that a lot of Nobel Prize winning financial economists. I mean, we minimize personal finance as being easy because everyone does it, but that doesn't mean it is. It's actually, I think much harder and a lot of various complex financial problems people are solving all the time. Of so how do you this slipping that switched to thinking about this pile of money and turning it into income. First of all, it doesn't really make sense because income is valid you differently than wealth. So you can't just slip this switch, at least not without exposing yourself to potentially big risks. And it also just I think mentally really sets people up to not know how to spend their money, or to feel inhibited from spending their money because they've spent their whole lives building up this nest egg. Like even my parents are in their seventies refuse to spend any of their retirement savings. And I'm like, you know, you worked hard, you know they're both working still, but I'm like, you could maybe work less and spend some of this money. This is what you should do, this is what you've worked so hard for. And they look at me like I'm crazy.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think that's a really good, good point. And I don't think people talking off about the psychological difficulties of actually spending your money like we do certainly in business and the pestal finance journalism business. The thing we worry about mostly is making sure that people have enough or that they're saving. And the pensions industry over here is always saying you should be saving the x amount of your every single month from the day you're born, basically, but this challenge of decumulation, how do you get over so just thinking about it as an income, but also how do you get over the huddle of saying, Okay, that's that's me. I'm going to step back gradually. If you get any thoughts or any strategies for thinking about that, say the retirement puzzle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean it works pretty well in Chile because it's conditioned from day one that this is income and you're going to neudize this or are you going to take these phase withdrawals from the government. So I mean when people had to find benefit pensions, they weren't looking. You know. I think a lot of people don't realize, like, if you may get like whatever, thirty, forty, even sixty percent of your salary every year until you die, that's worth millions of dollars. But people don't think, oh, this asset is worth millions of dollars. They're thinking, I get sixty percent of my salary every year. So you have to condition people to think that way from day one, and Chili does that pretty well well. You know. In some ways I look at the UK as a disappointment because you used to require people to anutize part of your retirement in savings, but it was so unpopular they had to get rid of it. Now, that might be because interest rates were so low then annuities were super expensive, or it could have just been poor marketing, but.
Speaker 2: I think it was a sense that there was poor value and I think the thing it would be fair to say the annuities market was not as competitive as it should have been.
Speaker 1: Why do you think that is?
Speaker 2: What was I think at the time. I mean, because this all changed in two thousand and six. At first, thing it was two thousand and six, and then it became steadily easier to not innuitize as well, because at first it was you were allowed to not inutize as long as you're a certain amount of money, and then that was basically completely done away where I think it was about ten years ago under George Osborne. And you're right, during the Osborne you know, it was because interest rates were extremely low and so annuities looked like poor value. But I think before that it was basically just because the financial industry was much less competitive, fees were much higher, you know, there was a general it was, and also it was still quite hard to kind of comparison shop. I think that would be different now, and maybe you're right, maybe if we did still have compulsory and utization, the nuities market would be much better and better run. So that's an interesting one.
Speaker 1: Because you used to have that website that could comparison shop. It was around like twenty ten ish. I love that website because I'm just a nerd for a newity prices. But I guess it just didn't take off, maybe because you couldn't click through and buy in a new idea or to go back. Maybe it wasn't accurate, do you know what.
Speaker 2: The other reason was that a lot of people were tied to a provider, or they thought they were tied to a provider. It's basically it was basically just the usual sort of like financial industry comms thing where because partly because consumers were unsophisticated, if you like, they would just say do they get a letter from the pension provider saying this is the annuity we can offer you, and they would just tick the box and say, oh fine, and it would turn out that they'd got something that you know, was basically maybe could even be as much as a percentage point less than they would have got elsewhere. And then obviously there was a kind of bit of a campaign, certainly from writers like us, saying, look, make sure you shop her own, because if you're in l health, or even if you're in good health, you don't have to buy your annuity from your provider. Although it was basically a lack of knowledge and a lack of sophistication, and you're I think that could be overcome, especially now, I think consumers are a lot more savvy about financial products in general and kind of shopping around. So actually, yeah, maybe it would be different now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's with the higher rates and also just more people retire. I mean, even like ten to fifteen years ago, you know, defind contribution plans were still relatively new here, let alone the UK, so people didn't have the same significant assets like I just saw Torston slock daily whatever. It was always wonderful showing that one of the big drivers for private credit is that the newty market is growing so fast, which was exciting news for me. So it could be as well now that we have boomers, you know, uh four one k's really took off, say late eighties, early nineties in America, a little later in the UK. So you have the first generation retiring significant assets in this who are also facing a higher rate environment. So maybe that's also spurring demand.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. So they are now utizing by choice basically of increasingly, Yeah, it's here, Yeah, it's when it's compulsory, it's does that sense that you're getting ripped off in some way? And I think a lot of people also that. You know, there's always an example of someone who innuitized and then they died the next day, and you know, their whole pension pot is gone or recently perceived as that. So I think that was the least the annuities kind of got a bad name over here to an extent. I think you can still do draw down, which is the same sort of thing, but you're rate that does I get your point about who that doesn't push people to think about it as an income so much as a pot that they are taking stuff out of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in Chile, you can do a phrase draw down, but you see that you get more money from annuitizing, and there's the lump sum options are just so much less. And you know, there's great, you know, sort of consumer education around annuities as well, so people start sort of looking into annudies even in their fifties and sort of comparison shopping, maybe locking in early for good prices. And it's just people. I mean, there's a lot of problems and pushbacks certainly with the Chilean pension system, but the accumulation I think they have the best solution compared to anyone.
Speaker 2: Absolutely interesting. Okay, so we should be looking to Chili for a pension solution. That sounds good. Sometimes getting to ask you about was this kind of goes back to what we were talking about before. Something people get frustrated about and that we constantly talk about in the UK is the lack of risk appetite on the part of the private investors, or the perceived lack and how nobody owns individual equities and by comparison the US kind of like lots of people owned stocks, you know, you're kind of average investor owned stocks. Is that evidence a more risk taking mentality? Do you think or does that just because us kind of save us understand the market better.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know, if you're buying individual stocks if you understand the market better, you know. I was a disciple of Bubmerton, of you know, black Sholes, and he used to always say that people should be forbidden from buying individual stocks. He's like, he's like buying a spark club from a car. If it's not part of a larger riskport for risk strategy, it's useless. So I don't know. I mean, it's sort of another counterintuitive thing about my book is arguing we're not taking enough risk when we also see young people in America certainly taking like enormous risks, like strange risks, like getting really into sports, gambling, day trading, all these sorts of things, and you know, sort of these more sort of zero sum risks that have a very low probability of paying off. Although I think that's a symptom of lack of productive risk taking in their life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the financial nihilism thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. So, I mean what you do see in Europe, less the UK, but certainly like in Germany, it is just sort of a discomfort with any set of downside risk. I once try to set up a defined contribution plan in Germany and just they insisted that to being ninety percent in German bunds because they're just like, well, if it's in the stock market, it could go down. And it's like, well, yeah, I mean that's why you get more. Most of the time, they're nuts. I mean yeah, you know. And honestly, if you look at these dB plans in Germany, they're still mostly in buns. They like their buns. Well, you know, there's nothing wrong with being risk averse, particularly if it's a cultural choice. The problem is that I think where people go wrong with it is that they think they're going to get something for nothing. They think they can take low risk and still get more. And it's an amazing thing to me, this cognitive dissonance, because like, honestly, like really successful, knowledgeable people in finance also make this mistake. It's like why people went with Bernie Madoff. They're like, yes, you can get seven percent or more every single every single year in them and never and will never underperform. It's like no, like that is a sign that you're being defrauded. Like if someone says they can beat the market and that you will never lose money like that's a sign you're being defrauded. There is no excess return without taking risk, so I think we've all liked to believe that's not true. Or again, if we play it safe, we're going to get more.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: The fact is that you can live a low risk life, but you need a lot more money to do it. And I think this is what Europe is certainly having to come to terms with, is we want this very so of low risk economy where everything's protected and we don't invest in equity, or at least individuals don't. Yet we also want to be able to pay for all this stuff, and I think the math just doesn't work.
Speaker 2: Again, I think this is fascinating, the the way that we are kind of cultural issuhoes sort of reflect each other, but just with this slightly shifted kind of perspective. Because a piece I thought it was really interesting you wrote recently was your piece about housing in the uns and this idea of house's no longer being this kind of pot of gold or the main financial aim. Get talk a bit about why you think that's changed and what's happened there.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, housing. You know, still you know it's not guarantee, because nothing is, certainly in America. And I think I compared the US stock market to Nantucket Island, which is this small, fancy island where like Eric Schmidt owns a compound and you know, it's limited housing stock, and so it is probably one of the hottest and most ridiculous housing markets in America. And that a five hundred thousand dollars house now costs four million dollars over thirty years. But what's stunning is it's like you still would have done much better if you just invested in the stock market. And I think that's less about the fact that housing doesn't pay off like it used to. It still pays off, probably more than it used to. It's just the stock market's crazy. I mean, it's just been crazy how much the stock market has gone up like that you could have invested, was it. I've said, five hundred thousand dollars in nineteen ninety five you out of eight point two million, and that's not including investing dividends. That's that's crazy. I'm not saying it's wrong. I'm just saying like it's it's it's stunning and.
Speaker 2: Do you think, Because what I do think is do you think that it's actually had in the effect or in people's behavior, because I think, like, again, going back to the UK, obviously, houses have been something that have been a kind of obsession, often seen as the main asset to own, but prices in the UK have now been stagnant for about ten years. If you look at it in real terms, and I think there's a thing, there's now starting to be a slight sense that well, maybe this isn't a sure thing, and maybe it isn't this kind of, you know, the one financial focus of our lives. But it's a very slow process and I wouldn't necessarily say that people are then thinking, well I should be sticking my money in stocks instead. But is this something you're kind of seeing from younger people in the US.
Speaker 1: We are part of it is the nihilism of houses are just so expensive and mortgage rates are higher than people are used to. I can't afford it anyway, doesnt agree? I've always thought home ownership is overrated. Again, it is a very sort of concentrated, highly leveraged bit in a single asset, especially if you're young. I don't understand the fit iszation people have here of owning a home whenn they're twenty five. I mean, I certainly didn't. You know, you want to be mobile, you want to be free. Your life's going to probably go through changes, you know. I don't understand why it's a dream young. But on the other hand, there is obviously something lost. I mean, I feel like I was going back and forth with my editor about this when we wrote the story of Well, you know before there was something innately human about this desire to own land, to own a piece of your country. And it's just more and more of our lives are becoming intangible. And if your wealth is in the stock market, I mean to me, that represents the best you know, companies in your country or in the world, and that's wonderful, but it is something intangible about it. You can't like renovate your stock like you can in a kitchen. You don't like look at your country and be like, I own a piece of this. It makes sense, it's a more better financial bet. I didn't own a I didn't own my I was in a homeowner intel I was in my forties. So I mean, you know, because I just always never understood why I would want that, and I saw financial markets as a better bet, and to be honest, they were. But now that I am a homeowner, I got to say, I do feel much more connected. I much feel much more at home, and there is something good about it. But I think people when they were sort of misled, saw, oh, I can have that connection, I can have that sort of physical ownership, and I'm going to make all that money. And you know you don't get that. I don't have any illusion God knows what the future of New York is that I'm going to make money off this home. But I do like one. I've locked in my house and costs, and I do like feeling that sense of community and ownership of my community.
Speaker 2: Well, it's impost to the point you do have to live somewhere, So that's true. Is a gap as well between I mean, I actually agree me and a lot of ways. I was never particularly attracted to home ownership when I was younger, but it is that thing once she particularly if you end up settling down and having her family. The tenure security, as much as anything else, is one of the kind of helpful things, and that you don't want to constantly move around but then that maybe actually talks to an element that the risk a version between here in the US, this idea that there is somewhere that you settle for a very prolonged period that I impossibly forever, whenever you're you know, when you're self teaser or whatever. So maybe it's just that, maybe it's just the kind of relative lack of labor mobility.
Speaker 1: It's part of it. I mean, Americans used to be very different in that they moved a lot. We really don't as much now. I think that's part of our changing risk relationship, because it's not like ownership has increased over the young, but people are still less likely to move. So in that way, we're definitely becoming a more parochial or in some ways as a more European. This is it, which in some ways as odd because it's not like people are tied to anything or sort of even evidence shows people aucting to move, even they can move somewhere where housing costs are cheaper. Yeah, it's like I think I think people are sort of more wanting to stay with what they know.
Speaker 2: I suppose it's the hassle factor as well, and so you don't want to Is that the theath of moving. That is interesting because I do wonder if maybe all of this is a contradance signal and maybe how residential housing will become attractive again. But you never know. As soon as you're you're here, and then you are an economists. The big topic of the day is AI and the impact on jobs. And your most recent piece was a piece about kids in the fourth grade, which I believe is like ten year olds stay and talking about how AI is going to take all the jobs, and so they're worried about it. I thought this sounds terrible. It is.
Speaker 1: I just met a fourth grade teacher and you know, when you're in fourth grade, you always have these like lofty ideas of what you're going to do. And she was like, she hears from her students all the time that they're really worried there won't be jobs. And you know, I understand why they said that, because they hear that all the time. We say this all the time, And it didn't occur to me until then that like your child and you're figuring out what you're going to do, and you know this is going to weigh on you. I mean they hear this too.
Speaker 2: I mean, what do you think of the THEI jobs issue, because I can't quite work out whether or not I think this is just a lot of hysteria and it's going to be like the Internet, where it just basically created new jobs and can opt under few industries, or if it is going to be more like the Industrial Revolution, where okay, it was fine in the end, but those about a century of misery for the group of people who were in that transition. So I'm curious to see you think which was should take.
Speaker 1: Well, we just don't know. I mean, I tend to be, as I mentioned, I did my undergrad in Scotland where a big part of your economics training is reading a lot of the history of the Industrial Revolution, which really for me was foundational as an economist of how I think about growth, how I think about transitions, how I think about technology. So I tend to be more of that school of you know, humans are good at finding jobs for themselves. I don't. I mean, again, no one knows for certain. I don't believe personally that we're going to have this sort of jobless future, although I am open that to the idea that as we did an industrial evolution, it might be a rocky transition. And some of that transition during the industrial evolution was because people were reluctant to embrace the change. You know, for like decades, factories hired women and children because these men who had been sort of displaced from being maybe a small scout artisan or a farm labor just didn't want to work in a factory. And I'm not like factories then were pleasant places, but it's not like their other jobs are that great either, but they just it was this concept that you had to go somewhere all day and like be told what to do by someone you weren't even related to, and not be able to leave when you want. It was just like awful, you know. I mean, we do what we all do it now, but at the time I felt, this is why I work from home, is so attracted to be, well, it's a more natural way to be. It's just like, that's crazy, I'm not going.
Speaker 2: To do that personal craft that we've gone back to.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yeah, so the transition was longer and more painful than it could have been, and I'm not minimizing it. I'd be really happy, unhappy if AI sort of wiped out economist jobs. I wouldn't be like, well, okay, I guess now I'll be a home healthcare worker. Like I'd be really upset too. I don't want to minimize how hard that is, but it also if people are unwilling to adapt, it certainly does prolong the change. But I do think we're going to end up somewhere better. I mean people are saying AI is different because it does things humans couldn't do. I mean, like a power loom. People thought the same thing of that, like the to them it was incomprehensible. Machine could do this thing that humans have been doing for thousands of years. So you know, I personally just find my own work with AI, like it's a helpful tool, but I don't see it doing what I can do. I think part of the confusion is the AI CEOs themselves aren't helping matters, And well, I think where they're I see where they're coming from, which is they're engineers, and so they observe a job and they see the output from that job, and they're like, a machine could do that job, therefore that job won't exist. But really, like anyone who's actually say, had a job and is a little like on the spectrumy engineer guy, understand there's all these parts of your job that are more than the sort of narrow output that can be observed. Like even if I write a column, like I guess a, I could write a column, but what makes a column interesting is the idea behind it, and the idea has to be novel, it has to be interesting. A I can only look at sort of existing data and sort of project something, it doesn't have that novelty. Or if I write a column and I talk about like something personal in my life, like it's not meaningful coming from that. There's also all the promotion. It's about connecting with people, it's about building community around that. And so it's like you could you could observe a column and say A, I could have written that, but they really couldn't have or it couldn't have really it probably could have done maybe thirty percent of my job, but not the whole job. And that's true of most jobs. If you think about how you actually spend your time or it makes you good at what you do, it isn't just the narrow output. It's a million other things. There's a European economist there's a book coming out called Messy Jobs. Which is like jobs are bundles of tasks and not all of them can be observed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's a lot of friction within jobs that needs to be overcome, and I think they, as you say, the engineering model kind of tends to assume away the friction. There's not necessarily bad. Friction is just you know, getting for me to be walking to this place to get that and the old it is to that sort of stuff. Well, that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or like HR, it's one big job that exists to create fiction in the workplace. But like you need HR, like I mean, I mean, I don't like watching those videos either, But like you know, it was my time and it's a friction in my life. But you know what, like enforcing workplace norms and codes of behavior are really important. It's a friction, but it's also a good friction.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I'm sure. Well let me think about that one. Oh that off the record. Well, look, thanks for much House. I really appreciate your time. There was a couple of final questions I wanted to put to you. One was if you had a magic wand and you could put in place one retirement policy or put a thought in the people's brains about this sort of thing. What would it be.
Speaker 1: From day one? People would be seeing their retirement and income and it would be very hard to see their wealth, their their asset balance.
Speaker 2: So basically go down the chili route.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounds good.
Speaker 2: Finally, what are you're eating just now and would you recommend it?
Speaker 1: I'm trying to get through a biography of Charles Degall. I was just in France and I was well regarded as story and insisted I read this book and have changed my life. And I haven't gotten through much of it yet, but it's my summer aspiration.
Speaker 2: Are you feeling any creeping changes yet?
Speaker 1: No? No, no, but I've only gotten through twenty pages.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks a little else, and really appreciate your time. It was lovely me lovely speak to you, and I'm sure we'll have you on again in the future.
Speaker 1: I'd love that. Thanks for having me bank.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to this week's Merden Talked Money. If you like a show, rate review and subscribe wherever you listen to podcasts, and keep sending questions or comments to Merton Money at Bloomberg dot net. You can also follow me on Twitter at join Underscore Stepek, where you can follow Merien at merin s w and. This episode was hosted by me Joint Stepic. It was produced by Summer Sadie and Moses and Dam. Sound designed by Black Naples and a very special thanks to Alison Schreeger