Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by All State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking All State first, Like you know, to check the date of the Big Game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States Savings. Very terms apply All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 2: Welcome. In episode one oh three, What's Right with Nick Bright, I am fresh off a plane from Vegas landed this morning, and I know many of you watch this show because you like me, you appreciate me, you love demanse. But some of you watch or listen despite me not to spikee me. But does spite me? Meaning you Maybe you like me, maybe you don't, But what you really like is when I'm in pain. So I'm gonna give you a little present today before we even get into what happened in the Chiefs Game, I'm just gonna set the template for you. Got to Vegas middle of the night Thursday night, Friday morning, played in one of the bigger poker games I've ever played in in my life. On Friday, put it on Instagram. Won a great deal of money, was feeling great about it. Saturday played in that game that had somehow gotten even bigger overnight, lost a little bit, was still way ahead Sunday then rolls around. I'm in Las Vegas. Remember, and I do believe I told you guys that the Chiefs Bengals game was my game of the year. Loved it more than a game on the board all season. I also gave you guys six picks, including the Prince that was promised, including the Falcons, including the Colts plus ten and a half too many points. Colts trying to tie the game up going into the fourth quarter, they get outscored thirty three to nothing in the fourth quarter, to which I tell you after the morning slate didn't go great. I wasn't going to be in the casino for the four pm Eastern games because I was actually invited to the home of Doyle Brunson, poker legend Texas. Dolly had me into his home to watch these games, so I took I broke all my gambling rules. Demonsey took all that poker prophet, everything we had for the weekend, and said, you know what, this is going to be a great day in my life. I'm gonna win maybe my biggest sports bet ever, alongside the biggest poker legend ever in his own home, Doyle Brunson. And we got Chiefs minus two. And then the game started, and you know what, the best bets all year have been live Chiefs bets when they fall down big. So they're down fourteen to three and I check, They're getting three and a half Chiefs plus three and a half, and I'm like, okay, my minus two is not looking great, but I can get the Chiefs plus three and a half right now. And I had a lot of money in that online account from that parlay from a few weeks ago, so I log in not able to use it because I'm not in New York state. I'm in Vegas, so I couldn't place the bet and the plus three and a half would have hit. They lost by three, So I am up I am upbeat. It was fun weekend, saw a Gucci Man live in concert, you got to hang out with Doyle Brunton played in a great poker game.
Speaker 3: With all that.
Speaker 2: Said, your little sister's school tuition monthly school tuition gets auto withdrawn on the fifth of each month. And I'd be lying to you if I didn't check the old account this morning and figure out if I wasn't gonna have to do a shadow, a fringe transfer from Demanse's account to mine to cover the tuition before I could replace it, hopefully without him knowing. I did that once upon a time by accident, and then it really I realized I was, like, you know, in an odd way, Demonse's account is like my backstop if things ever go really poorly. So that was my weekend. We'll get into all the games here. First, let's talk about what missed the cut. Here's what is not on today's show, College Football Playoff set, and they got it right. Listen. I wanted USC to be in there at four, and I would have argued strongly that USC should not be penalized for losing a conference championship game at Ohio State, which didn't make their conference championship game getting in however, because USC ended up getting dog walked at the end by Utah, that game was in Vegas. By the way, I can't argue at TCU deserved stay at three. The playoff committee got it right. Oddly, this would have been a year where we just needed the old BCS system. One versus two. Georgia and Michigan have nothing to prove but to play each other. They're the only undefeated teams. Don't worry about it. Brown's win. Deshaun Watson looks like a guy who hasn't played in two years. Will continue to monitor that story. And Dion Sanders I went to I went to Mississippi or Memphis this year to watch Deon Coach in the Heritage Classic. If you remember Dion going to Colorado. We might have a guest appearance by my wife, Demonsey's mom on Thursday to briefly give a take on Dion leaving Jackson State Jackson, Mississippi, where Danielle lived for a little bit, because she has I think the best take of anyone I've heard on it. None of that is on the show today, though. We're gonna start with and by the way, is stop buying the chat ask some questions. We'll get to him later in the show. A reminder we wrap up book Club on Thursday for this book, Little History of the World by Age Gone. Breck will do that on Thursday today. All right, let's get to it. Chiefs Bangals, go ahead.
Speaker 4: All right, I'm sorry you went all the way to Vegas to see USA, the Jags, and last but not least, your Chiefs lose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the USA is the only one. I didn't lose money on the Yeah. I thought the Netherlands would win, but the Chiefs, well, I lost money on the others.
Speaker 3: Go ahead. The Chiefs have.
Speaker 4: Five losses in twenty twenty two, and three of them are to the Bengals.
Speaker 2: That is, that's an odd way to put it, but it is accurate. You mean the calendar year twenty twenty two, They've lost three times to the Bengals, once to the Bills, once to the Colts. That's right, Go ahead.
Speaker 4: Joe Burrow obviously remains undefeated versus Patrick Mahomes in his career. Yep, Casey had a shot late but ended up being the only favorite to lose in Week thirteen.
Speaker 2: That's crazy. I didn't realize that until I saw that in today's rundown. The only favorite to lose. Almost as crazy as I think I went one in five on my picks this week.
Speaker 3: Go ahead and the Bills, Yeah, are now the one seeds? I don't care. Are the Bengals the best team in the in the AFC?
Speaker 4: And can Mahomes be considered the MVP of Joe Burrow keeps beating him and playing like this?
Speaker 2: Okay, so so much here, First, let me before I answer your questions, my apologies for I will answer them, but I want to talk about the game itself. The right team won yesterday. Now could the Chiefs have won? Absolutely? Travis Kelsey doesn't fumble? He fumbled here they're driving to go up two scores, put the game away? Am I beside myself? Was I in real time beside myself with the decision to kick that field goal, which, first of all, far from a sure thing you're gonna make it, as evidenced by the fact that he missed it, also to fifty five yarder. Bucker is an excellent kicker, but in his career is like seventy fifty five yards. But most damningly, it takes the ball out of Mahomes's hands. And even if you make it, you still need your defense to stop Cincinnati, which he hadn't been able to do throughout the game. So I understand the Chiefs had many opportunities, but so did Cincinnati. Cincinnati dropped a touchdown pass, just a perfect pass drops and the Chiefs got a goal line stand with a great play by Dunlap that took you know, at least maybe seven points off the board. So the game was close, coin flip game. I think the right team won. I want to give Cincinnati credit. That's first of all. Second of all, what is most disappointing to me, other than taking the ball out of Mahomes's hands on that fourth down, which Flatley should never happen, Andy Reid, you trusted him to go for the fourth down earlier in the game of the goal line, He's supermanned it and got into the end zone. Leave the ball in his hands there. What frustrated me so much was the Chiefs defense did not show up in a huge spot. After talking trash the Chiefs defense. The way to slow down Cincinnati is to beat the hell out of Burrow, and they got two sacks on the day. One of them Burrow kind of gave them on that odds second down play call, which was a Bury odd decision by Zach Taylor late in the game with two four left that gave the Chiefs an opening. And after all that, they're in a third and eleven with two minutes left, no timeouts, Cincinnati's up three. If you stop them, you are getting the ball back, maybe with a minute fifty left, if it's an incompletion with a minute fifteen left, if it's a completion short of the first down, or a sack with a chance to go win, and you couldn't get off the field. So credit to the Bengals. That's first of all. Second of all, the Chiefs now have a rival in the AFC. Everyone has tried to say it's the Bills. It is not. It is the Bengals. And I know some folks, if you want to be a smart ass, will say it's not a rivalry. Chiefs have never beaten them. Okay, I think all of us recognize how close these games have been. Yes, the Bengals have gotten the upper handed it and Bengals deserve bragging rights. See this is I am not afraid to give teams credit. I just don't like premature credit being demanded. And the national media and Bills fans demanded that I give the Bills credit and Josh Allen credit for things he has not yet done. Joe Burrow has done them. Joe Burrow has stared Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs down three times in his career and beat them all three first team to ever beat them three in a row, the first the only quarterback to have three wins against Mahomes. The other one is Tom Brady. I give the guy credit, and Joe Burrow. I know it's cliche at this point, call him Joe Cole. The guy's bleeping cool, like not just in a you know how he carries himself off the field, but he was under pressure throughout the night. They weren't getting the sex, but they were getting pressure. And he's calm in the pocket and he makes plays.
Speaker 3: Sounds like you just like Joe Burrow more than Josh Allen.
Speaker 2: Well listen, that is true. But I also was skeptical of Burrow coming out of LSU. I didn't see why he was the number one pick of the draft. I understood he had this one unbelievable season, so it's not like I've always liked him, but he's proven it. The guy has a eighteen point second half comeback in the AFC Championship game against the Chiefs. He had a fourth quarter comeback yesterday. He's he's been excellent, and that team with Chase and those guys, is scared, especially if you can't get to the quarterback. So I just it's not about anything other than I give them the respect that they have earned. Now to the MVP conversation. They have a brutal they being the Bengals schedule the rest of the way, but now that Lamar is hurt and the AFC North is open, if the Chiefs stumble, of course Burrow should be in the MVP conversation right now. He's not there. I shouldn't say he's not there. He's in the conversation right now. He's not the MVP right now. The MVP is still Mahomes and the Vegas odds makers agree with me barely on that they have a slight favorite over Jailen Hurts. Jalen Hurts was excellent yesterday. We can talk more about that in a moment, but Burrow absolutely can get there. With all that said, here is my proclamation of my guarantee that I am going to make and there's gonna be the big thing I do on television today, So let's not put this up on social media until after the TV show if we could. The Chiefs are not losing again this year, and the Chiefs are still going to be the one seed. So everyone's oh Buffalo right now is the one seed. Let me make something very clear about what the Chiefs have the rest of the way. They were on the longest winning streak in the NFL that is now snapped, obviously in credit to the Bengals for doing it, But the Chiefs the rest of the way have the Broncos, Texans, Seahawks at home, Broncos all of a sudden, Frisky Raiders final week of the year. They haven't loss to the Broncos since before Mahomes was the quarterback. They don't lose to the Raiders Seattle. I give them credit. They're not coming in d Arrowhead and winning. So the Chiefs are going to finish this season fourteen to three. What does that mean? That means the Buffalo bill must go undefeated the rest of the way to be the one seed. Cincinnati already has four losses, so Cincinnati's got the tie breaker on Kansas City, but the Chiefs would have to lose again and Cincinnati would have to go undefeated. The Bills, Jets, Dolphins, Bears, Bengals, Patriots three divisional games and a game at Cincinnati and a game at Chicago, which, again Chicago can't win games, but is an unbelievable stat from our friend Danny Parkins. Justin Fields has more fifty yard touchdown runs than any quarterback in NFL history already. Already He's got three of them this season. That's the most of any quarterback in the NFL history. Also, we have some breaking news that I find really interesting the pant are It's this from me and Rapport moments ago. The Panthers are releasing Baker Mayfield. He'll hit waivers when it's finalized later today. That oddly fits very well into our next discussion and right, pardon me, our poll question, Uh, who's the best team in the AFC? Forty five percent say the Chiefs, thirty one percent say the Bengals, twenty two percent say the Bills. But demon's a what team all of a sudden might need a quarterback? Go right ahead of the forty nine ers. They did make a statement against Tua and the Dolphins. Yeah, Jimmy g is likely done for this season. With a broken foot, brutals is probably gonna need surgery. Yeah, this means San Francisco has lost two starting quarterbacks this season. However, twenty twenty two, mister irrelevant Rock Purdy looked great in relief meanwhile to a aggravated a lingering an ankle injury. And as he's as he struggled against the San France his school defensive line.
Speaker 4: Yep, what happens to San Francisco? Mm hmm and Miami from here? Should San Francisco get Fitzpatrick or Drew Brees or Baker Mayfield?
Speaker 2: Well, listen, Drew Brees no, either he is done and Fitzpatrick no. Look brock Birdy yesterday played really well and I'm not the guy was a good college player. Now he was the final pick of his draft. He's mister irrelevant is what they always call, the guy who's picked lessons draft. So I will give him the opportunity to show he can do something. The odds are he's gonna be very limited. The Niners are so good everywhere else, though, that you've got to consider them still. I still consider them strong contenders in the NFC. The question is can they have a quarterback now? Who's gonna make a ton of plays, but isn't gonna make a lot of mistakes. The Baker thing is interesting. They just signed off the Broncos practice squad Josh Johnson. This is his fourteenth different stop in the NFL. He's been now some of the teams. He's been on the Niners three times, but he's been change teams fourteen times in the league. They're on their third string quarterback. Does Kyle Shanahan. Now, the way waivers work is you claim him, you claim his contract, but it's reverse order. It's the same order as the draft order. So like if the Texans were to want Baker Mayfield, they would get him, they would claim him. Do you understand what I mean? Like, so if a guy, if a guy gets cut at.
Speaker 4: This point in the careers, exactly right.
Speaker 2: So the Eagles would have the last waiver priority because they have the best record, the Texans have the best and the Niners have pretty damn good records. So I don't I don't have in front of you, but you know, twenty five teams have to pass on something like that. But I don't think that. Now. The Texans are an interesting one. They don't have a quarterback and they but do they even want to be in the Baker Mayfield business. I don't know the answer to that. The Niners are in a very tricky spot. I would put a claim in on Baker if I were them, if nothing else, then to be the backup and see what party does the Niners though, that defense is so god dog good that defense is. They gave up a seventy five yard touchdown first play of the game and then just shut the Dolphins down even though Tyreek still got off right, and then we get to the tuas stuff.
Speaker 3: You can't wait to jump on this one.
Speaker 2: Well, everybody was very very quick to demand that to get apologies from everyone that doubted him. I want to see how the remainder of the year goes. Weather's about to get colder, that'll be interesting. Schedule's not going to get very soft for them, that'll be interesting. So Miami, if we want to go over what they have the rest of the way. As they sit at eight and five, they are at the Chargers on Sunday Night Football next weekend. The Chargers can't get out of their own damn way. They're still a dangerous team. They are then at the Bills they are then home for the Packers. They are then at the Patriots and home for the Jets. So the easiest game the rest of the way is home for the Packers. For Miami, the Packers all of a sudden, By the way, Christian Watson, the kid's got eight touchdowns the last four games. There are some obvious limitations that Tua has that to me, showed up glaringly yesterday. Now, to be fair, Miami was without both of their starting tackles. You're playing a ferocious defense. I believe, the best defense in football in San Francisco. And that's why San Francisco almost no matter who the quarterback is, you still have to considered andrus they have a top three running back, they have All Pro first team All Pro running back, wide receiver, tight end, left tackle, and the best defense in football and a great coach I feel. So the question is how big of a drop is it from Jimmy g to Rock Purty. But this, by the way, Rock Purty playing well for them would be such a blow for the quarterback. Wins dopes. The folks are like wins are a quarterback stat that is, that's how they're all that foolishness that has become. And I shouldn't say dopes because some of my favorite people in the media believe this, most notably my co host Chris Broussard. But they're obviously wrong about that. And I'm very curious to see what the Niners look like with just a guy playing the guy. Yeah, with Brock Perdy, he was their third stringer to start the year. He was the two hundred and sixty second pick or whatever it was, doing a fifty second pick of his draft. And Miami, on the other hand, this is this is the time where things could go south for it. Absolutely they they one hundred percent. What do you think the line is for? Who tell me what?
Speaker 3: Miami.
Speaker 4: It's just like everybody's saying, oh, it's Toula's got limitations, he's got limitations, and he's been playing well for a while now, and then like when it starts to come, they're.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, yep, I told you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's like, listen, that's fair.
Speaker 3: Eventually gonna have a bad game.
Speaker 2: That's that's totally fair. It is totally fair to say is that's the first game all year he has played the whole way through and they've lost, right, so that it is a fair critique, and that I am basing this analysis on my prior beliefs on him. But those prior beliefs on him I feel very strongly about, and I do think that if you're Miami and you caught people off guard early in the year, Okay, you beat the Patriots, whose offense was you score seven points. You have that unbelievable game against the Ravens where you're thoroughly outplayed for three quarters and in a perfect fourth quarter. You didn't have that very weird game against the Bill where the Bills double you up in yardage but Josh Allen keeps screwing up the clock and goal line. Okay, since then, this is what they have done. They lost to the Bengals, they lost to the Jets, they lost to the Vikings, they beat this those thah, those are the games without Tua. So then to his back, here are their wins. They beat the Steelers sixteen to ten, They beat the Lions, they beat the Bears, they beat the Browns, they beat the Texans. So now, with a full season's worth of tape of what you're doing on offense, you play real teams again, and one of those real teams just kick your teeth there, and so I'm interested to watch where this goes for Miami moving forward, just like I'm you know, the team right now that and I don't mean to step on the rest of the show. I'll just do this quickly. If I were a fan of them, I would be up at night just like You've got to be kidding me about so many of our losses. The Raiders who are sitting at five and seven and have to feel like, if we had one of those games we gave away, the Cardinals game, which they flatly gave away, the Chiefs game, which they had multiple chances to win and they did, if they had the Jags game that they gave away, if they had won one of those games and they were six and six right now, they got to feel like they have to run the table. Now, as far as running the table goes, they're not gonna run the table. But they have the Rams on Thursday. They then have the Patriots at home the next Sunday night, then the Steelers. The Raiders could before they played the Niners and the Chiefs at the end of the year. That's brutal the Raiders. I think they're gonna finish game or two out and feel like God, dog it, we should have been right there, all right? Next, no no poll for this.
Speaker 3: One, all right.
Speaker 4: Both NFC East powerhouses made statements this weekend the one loss Eagles blew out the Titans, Dallas embarrassed the Colts on Sunday Night football. There are three clear top teams in the NFC, Philly, Dallas and Minnesota. How do you rank them? Is Dallas better than Philly regardless of the record.
Speaker 2: Okay, they're not three. Clearly, there are three clear best teams in the NFC, but Minnesota is not one of them. Give me a break on Minnesota. Yeah, I'm very happy for you with your ten and two record. You are not a very good team. I shouldn't say you're not a good team, not a very good team. You got incredibly lucky to beat the Jets yesterday. You're nine to zero one score games. Give me a break. Including Minnesota. Then Philly, Dallas and the Niners are the three best teams in the NFC, hands down. I was all right. So here's the thing on Philly, and I know Eagles fans hate me, and that's fine and I'll deal with it. And Jalen Hart, they ran for three hundred and fifty yards the week before this. This week, Jaalen throws for damn near four hundred credit where it's due an AJ Brown revenge game against the team used to be on the Titans. They didn't want to pay him, they traded him, and he dominated that football game. The way right now to go after Philadelphia is vertical passing game and Tennessee can't do it. Tennessee, especially once Treylon Burks went out. Did you see the Traylon Burks touchdown highlight? It's one of the best plays of the year. He got knocked unconscious on the catch and held onto it while unconscious in the night. That was I mean, it was a scary play. But once he went out for the game, Tennessee can't beat you vertically and Philadelphia seized on it. Dallas, on the other hand, it's one of the most bizarre games ever because Indy is going for two to tie that football game late in the third quarter and they end up losing by a thousand. Dallas outscores him thirty three to nothing in the fourth quarter because Indy can't stop turning the ball over to me. Dallas was the more impressive performance yesterday, even though Tennessee is a better team than Indy, because the Dallas's ability to be explosive is to me really frightening if you're anyone else in the NFC, because you know how good that defense is. And so Philadelphia deserves credit for everything they've done this year. I still well, I got to see what happened with the Niners at the quarterback position and the Cowboys. The problem is, I don't trust the head coach right now, if you're in the NFC, if you're Seattle right now, you got to feel like we could win the conference. And I know people are the Philadelphia fans are yelling at their computer screens or into their phones saying what more do we have to do to show you we are that dominant team? And I have been consistent on this, and you can say it's unfair, you can say, but having that awful of a showing in the postseason last year, when it's the only playoff experience your coach or your quarterback have ever had, I cannot get that out of my mind until I see you play in a playoff game again. There is literally nothing you could do this for me. Nothing you could do this regular season to where I don't have a yeah but about that game. You then add to it that I didn't I thought Philly, as dominant as they were early in the year, that Philly later in the year was not playing their best football, as evidence by the fact that when they played the Texans a few weeks ago or a month ago, I thought that was a mediocre performance. They lose to the Commanders, they steal one against the Colts, they are in a dogfight against a Packers team that I don't think is any good, and then they dominate the Titans. They get back on track against the Titans yesterday. But to me, that game shitted entirely when Traylon Burke's went out, And now that was early in the game. So am I judging Philly by an unfair standard? Maybe, But I just my obligation to the audience is to be honest, and my honest opinion is it would not shock me if Philadelphia ends up the one seed, gets the buy and then loses its first playoff game. Next ISAs oh, is Dallas better than Philly? Is the pole question?
Speaker 4: Seventy say yes, seventy nine say no.
Speaker 2: So seventy nine percent of the audience thinks Phillies better than Dallas. We'll get to see them play again here soon.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, all right.
Speaker 4: Lamar Jackson went down early yesterday with knee injury and did not return and screwed a couple of my parlays.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, guys hurt.
Speaker 4: Luckily for Baltimore, they were playing the Broncos and won by a point.
Speaker 3: But the Bengals are clearly the class of this division.
Speaker 4: Is this injury more devastating for Baltimore or Lamar considering his contract situation.
Speaker 2: I think it's more devastating for Baltimore. Remember Baltimore last year was what were they? Eight and three? And then Lamar got hurt and they missed the playoffs. They're now eight and four and Baltimore now what they have going for them this year is Baltimore's schedule the rest of the way Steelers, Browns, Falcons, Steelers, Bengals. So now the Steelers won a few in a row and the Browns will see what they look like when Deshaun gets the rust off. But they that was a very important win for them yesterday and they are lout the only team in the league. Yesterday. I think they could have beaten is the Broncos, and so Lamar is gonna get some version of a good contract no matter what. But Lamar since the first month of the season has not played great and now this is the second straight year has gotten hurt.
Speaker 3: Those are I think it's pretty devastating for Lamar.
Speaker 2: Well, until you realize that if the Ravens were so to me, his worst case scenario is they just franchised tag him for forty million bucks. Because if you don't think there's a team out there, and I've said it, use them for I use them again like the Jets, that would give Lamar forty five million a year guaranteed. Of course they would. So his downside is relatively limited because his if he was amazing this year, they might franchise tag him ayway because they don't want to gi him fully guaranteed deal. If he's bad and hurt, they're still going to franchise tag him. Baltimore, on the other hand, Cincinnati's win over the Chiefs is really damaging for Baltimore and the fact that Cincinnati gets to play Baltimore again later in the year. Baltimore needs to find a way to win these games without Lamar. Luckily the schedules soft. But the Steelers are a live team right now and you got to deal with them. You can't imagine they're gonna sweep the Steelers. So it's not quite as easy as maybe we thought the schedule was gonna be a few weeks ago. To me, the bigger story not bigger story, but an equally big story from that game is it is impossible how bad the Broncos are. I was skeptical of them. I was the biggest Broncos skeptic I think in the national media. I said I thought they were going to be eight and nine, and people killed me for it. They would if they win out. Is that they would have to win out to be eight to nine. They have the Chiefs twice the rest of the way they the Broncos. This is what they have done as far as points scored this year. And keep in mind there are some games with a defense score sixteen, sixteen, eleven, twenty three nine, sixteen nine, twenty one, ten, sixteen ten nine. How is that possible?
Speaker 3: Were they up six to zero or was it three zero? Was there only they were up six to zero at some point yesterday?
Speaker 2: I feel like, no, they no, they but they were up nine to three before Tyler Huntley drove them all the way down the field for a touchdown. I how maddening must it be to be on this Broncos defense. Yeah, Russ has eight touchdowns this year. Eight. I gotta I'm sorry to do this in real time, but it's just it where I gotta find other quarterbacks that are similar when it comes to passing touchdowns. I'm sorting by touchdowns right now. Uhh okay, here are guys with Okay, Baker has six, he's been benched. Taylor Heineke has nine. He wasn't the starter the first six weeks. Carson Wentz has ten. So Washington, which switched quarterbacks this year in both both of their quarterbacks have more touchdown passes than Russ. Davis Mills has eleven. He's been benched. Jacoby Brissett has twelve. The guy he has Matt Ryan, has been benched and has come back. He has thirteen. Russ has eight. He's got eight. Jameis Winston hasn't played in two months. He's got four eight. I can't. I thought Russell Wilson was overrated coming into the year. I thought the Broncos made a big mistake. I never in a million years thought it was going to look like this where they are the worst offense in football. His passer ratings eighty three, that is twenty ninth in the league, ahead of only Davis Mills, Kenny Pickett, and Zach Wilson and Baker Mayfield. So a rookie and three guys who have been benched. That's it. It's unbelievable. All right, take quick break, come back, continue to talk week twelve in the ear whatever week this was Week fourteen in the NFL, and talk a little World Cup. That's next, what's right?
Speaker 5: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Robles, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg. Evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jirell Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Panya, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime video.
Speaker 2: Welcome Back. In What's Right with Right? Episode one oh three, during the show, breaking news that Baker Mayfield is getting released, and I do wonder if the Niners are gonna try to claim him. If you're Baker, you've got to do everything you can in your power to make sure nobody you find out if the Niners have interest, right, and if they do, try to poison the water so nobody else picks you. So the let me just before we get to our FIFA forecast, Uh let me, I said, I didn't have the full list in front of you as far as who would have waiver priority, but I can obviously get it in front of me. So if we do the league standings, so Houston has a first priority, they might claim So Chicago definitely wouldn't, The Rams wouldn't, Denver wouldn't, Jacksonville wouldn't. New Orleans maybe because they don't have a quarterback at the present or future and they don't have their pick Arizona, no Indie, no Green Bay of course, not Atlanta Indy. No, They're they're rolling with Matt Ryan like they that's who Jeff Saturday wants. Atlanta drafted a guy who they haven't played yet, So no Pittsburgh, no Cleveland. That would be hilarious, but no, the Raiders know, Lions know Tampa, No Chargers, Patriots maybe probably not because they have ZAPPI. I was just thinking about teams that might want him as a backup. Washington, No Seattle, and the Jets know Tennessee, Giants, Miami, and now we're up to San Francisco. So you really need to make it clear to the people in Houston that you will be a culture killer agent. Just Baker right now should tweet out how much Texas barbecue sucks and how how much he enjoyed kicking the Longhorns ass when he was at Oklahoma, and do everything he can to poison the water about the Texans, potentially claiming get away from the Texans. It's the very now. By the way, I don't know that the Niners would claim it, but I think it would be if they are claiming Josh Johnson off dudes, practice squads. Kyle Shanahan, I would imagine, would want to see what he could do with Baker.
Speaker 3: So I got around him, of course.
Speaker 2: I mean it would be what an unbelievable story it would be if Baker ends up falling ass backwards into being the Niners quarterback. In that situation, it also would be such a wonderful litmus test of what it takes to be successful in the league. If Baker had just been terrible, you know, his last year in Cleveland, awful with Carolina, but then gets to the Niners and looks good again. It also should be noted that is there a connection between Stefanski and Shanahan. Maybe not. I was gonna say, was Stefanski part of that tree, But I'm not sure Stefanski was the coach in Cleveland, obviously. All right, let's get to soccer.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, all right, you did all you could at the aria Sports Book, but it wasn't enough for the US to beat the Dutch.
Speaker 2: All right. That was funny, by the way, real quick, I was at the Arias Sportsbook, US down to nothing, they didn't get a goal. Make it to one. Now, all of a sudden, it's a game, and we can put the tweet up there. This guy, you're gonna see me in a moment, pounding the desk right there in the white shirt. I'm pounding the desk. He wasn't like videoing me. He was videoing the sports book and then caught me on there. I was every day in Vegas. I got up at six forty five in the morning, went downstairs, got a cup of coffee and watched the World Cup. But the US of course lost.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Oh yeah, any last words for the USA? And are you still sticking with Brazil to win it all?
Speaker 2: All right, I'm still sticking with Brazil. Naymar is supposed to come back. Namar also flew his barber or hairstylist into Qatar to give him a new hair do for today's game. That's exciting. Also, as we're on the air right now, Croatia is trail. Oh no, they just tied it up literally a moment ago. Crous should tied it up against Japan. This is the first World Cup game I'm missing because I'm doing this show live right now. So Japan took a one zier lead right before halftime. Krous should tied it up right now. France, Spain and Brazil looked like the classes of the tournament. And what Imbape did yesterday was so phenomenal to watch. I know everyone says he's the best player in the world. He clearly is the best player in the world. And he's just brilliant. I am sicking with Brazil obviously they need Aymar to be healthy. And Argentina is still lingering clearly. And you know they also have advanced already to the quarters. And so we have a great quarterfinal matchup already on you know, on deck with the Netherlands against Argentina. Netherlands which is on the longest unbeaten streak of any team in international soccer. We also have a really good quarterfinal matchup locked up in England and France. I thought England could lose to Senegal and said they crushed him. Here's the last words on the US. You can't call this tournament a disappointment. So they did exactly what they were supposed to do for second in the group, make the quarters, lose to Netherlands, that's clear. But you can't call it a rousing success either, because I would argue they didn't play a single great game the whole tournament, right. Their best game was a game they scored zero goals against England, the nil nil draw. It was nice that they beat a run, but they almost gave it away at the end against the Netherlands. They had no business that game should have been one to one or two to one US at the half. Instead it was too nothing Netherlands. And I understand that they were the one of the youngest teams in the whole tournament. The next World Cup is in the United States. I get all of that, and there are reasons to be optimistic, but if you're giving them a grade for this World Cup anything more than a B is being far too generous. And it is clear I didn't want to say argued I disagreed with Rick Buker a bit on this when Rick was like, anyone that's calling them an elite team doesn't know what they're talking about, and I just said to him, well, you got to defy elite. Are they one of the ten best teams in the world, clearly not. Are they one of the twenty best? I would argue, clearly, yes, closer to twenty than to ten. But that jump between where they are right now to actually competing in a World Cup is such a massive jump that even with the youth on the team and these guys getting experienced, it is impossible to see them making that type of jump unless they all of a sudden get a transcendent talent or two that right now does not appear to be in the pipeline or on the US roster. So it wasn't a disappointing World Cup, but it obviously was. It felt to me like they left some meat on the bone. All right. Next, let's play a game.
Speaker 3: Are playing a game right or wrong? First?
Speaker 4: When we've got a maybe I've been watching a little bit too much soccer for the Commander's Giants game, tye actually ended up being good for both teams.
Speaker 3: Get wrong, the Giants tie, save your season.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't want to say it's save their season, but I do agree with you that I don't think a tie was a terrible result for either of these teams because of how the playoff situation is shaking out. So now, for they're in a situation right right now, we know in the NFC there's going to be two playoff spots for three teams, Giants, Seahawks, and Washington. They all have seven wins right now. Giants are seven to four and one, Washington seven to five and one, and Seattle is seven and five, and they all kept pace, if you will, both of them with the tie with Seattle to a degree to where now if either of them finish with the same number of wins as Seattle, they will go to the playoffs over Seattle because Seattle would be say ten and seven, and they would be ten six and one, and so the tie is helpful there. So the question is how many wins do we think Seattle has left in them? So Seattle is hosting the Panthers next week, that should be a win. They then host the Niners. That should be a loss. We get the Niners though of the big question a quarterback. They're then at the Chiefs. That should be a loss. They then host the Jets. That's a coin flip game, but the Jets, going all the way across country, call that a win. And the final week of the year they host the Rams. So I do believe Seattle is going to get to ten wins. So then the question is for the Giants do they have three more wins in them? Their games are hosting the Eagles, at the Commanders, at the Vikings, hosting the Colts, and then at the Eagles in a game that the Eagles might have everything locked up, So that's key for them, right if the Eagles, because if the Eagles beat Dallas, then they will essentially lock everything up because they'll have the full tiebreaker over Dallas. Alas would have four losses. They already have the head to head with Minnesota, so even if Minnesota and then finished with the same record, Philly would get the one seed. So can the Giants get to ten wins? In fact of the matter is this and then Washington? What do they have left? Let me look at the same thing. They have a bye week then, because they only have four games to get there the ten wins we're talking about, they host the Giants, then they're at the Niners, host the Browns, and then host Dallas. That's brutal. I think that playoff spot is gonna come down to that Giants Commanders game. They both have the tie that will determine the tiebreaker. So save their season. It even if they had lost, they probably would still have to go beat Washington. But now there is the slim chance if Seattle because of the tie, if Seattle slips up, that both Washington and the Giants could make the postseason. So save their season. I'm gonna say wrong, but I think the tie was not a terrible result for them.
Speaker 4: Next all right, AJ Brown had a monster or revenge game against Tennessee. Tyreek Kal and Devonte Adams put up huge games as well. Their former teams definitely missed it. Even you gotta admit that you missed Tyreek Hial after you saw MBS drop that touchdown pass.
Speaker 2: NBS then did make a couple good catches.
Speaker 3: But yeah, go ahead, yeah, right or wrong? Never trade starr receivers.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm gonna say wrong, because how did the Vikings get Justin Jefferson. They traded Stefan Diggs and with the pick they got for him, they use it on Justin Jefferson. What I would say is, unless you have Patrick Mahomes, do not trade away star receivers unless you have someone ready to immediately replace them. So the PA didn't have someone to place Devonte. Now, Christian Watson's playing well the last month, eight touchdowns. Last month, I mentioned the second time on the show I heard my buddy Danny Parkins speculating whether or not could or maybe even Andrew Philiponi was listening to their podcast First In Pod, which is really good NFL podcast, about whether or not Christian Watson could win Offensive Rookie of the Year seemed unfathomable a month ago, but eight touchdowns eight touchdowns. So I guess it's on the board. It is teams that trade away their number one receiver unless again, unless you have Mahomes where it doesn't seem to matter. The Chief's still the highest scoring team in the league. Yeah, it seems like a problem for you. And so I'm gonna I'm not gonna say it's right. I'm gonna say it's it's right that you never trade them away without someone ready to step in right there, And the Vikings got a little lucky. I mean, they traded Diggs before they knew who they were gonna be able to draft with that pick and all of that, but it worked out brilliantly for him. Justin, Jefferson's one of the two best receivers in the whole league.
Speaker 4: Next, all right, Mike White and the Jets barely lost the ten and two Vikings on the road.
Speaker 3: Still, this team looks pretty legit. Right or wrong, Mike White is the Jets' future.
Speaker 2: Oh that's wrong. It's not the Jets.
Speaker 3: If Baker Mayfield want say anything to do with.
Speaker 2: No, that's not what I think. I listen. I I think they probably signed Jimmy even though Jimmy's coming off another injury and a broken foot. Mike White is a good story, and he's good because he's not Zach Wilson, who's been was such an abject disaster and now you're actually getting your weapons involved and the Jets should have won that game. But he's not their future. I'm not gonna write him off as having no chance of being their future, but I'd say it's ninety ten against my If Mike White your Week one starter next year, either he goes on a really spectacular run these last five weeks, or something disastrous has happened this offseason where you didn't figure it out next.
Speaker 4: All right, Aaron Rodgers pulled out a close win against Chicago then rubbed it into the Bears fans by saying Soldier Field has always been a second home to me.
Speaker 3: Right or wrong, Aaron Rodgers is back wrong.
Speaker 2: Everybody stopped. They were very lucky to win this game, and I think it is bad for the Packers that they won. Had they lost, you could no longer continue with this illusion or delusion. Maybe I should say about you potentially making the postseason and you could play Jordan Love so you could determine whether or not you want to pick up his fifth year option in the offseason. Instead, they won, and so now they're gonna pretend like they have any chance of making the postseason. So the fact of the matter for green Bay is this, they cap out at nine wins. If they run the table nine to eight, that would lose any tiebreakers with Washington or the Giants if they get to nine one. We just talked about those teams getting to ten, right, so we already know that San Francisco, Dallas, Minnesota, and Philly are all getting to nine or more wins. There's also the NFC South team, right, So green Bay would have to win the rest of its games and would have to also hope that Seattle falls apart and Washington or the Giants one of them only win one game the rest of the way. It's not happened. And so I think Aaron Rodgers played well against a terrible Bears defense. I do not think he's back, and I do not think the Packers have any hope. I think that win was actually bad for them.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, next, are you bet on the row favorite Jacks this week? After your betting band was lifted and they got blown out forty to fourteen. Right or wrong, The Jags band must return, Amen. I warned you said, it's the Lions at home. I remember, just like you just can't. You never know what the Lions are gonna do.
Speaker 2: Man, the Jags band has to return. We have to. It has to come back. That was the most say. Zay Jones just kept dropping passes, Travis ettin fumble, and Jerry.
Speaker 3: Golf probably had his best game as a quarterback ever.
Speaker 2: Certainly in a long time. That was I mean, they lost forty to fourteen. That game was so disheartening. I mean it was so frustrating to watch. Trevor didn't even play poorly and they just got annihilated. So yeah, put the band back on. That's so disappointed. You know, it's not disappointing that Anthony Davis might be one of the three best players in the Again, we'll answer your questions in the chat, one of which I know is on the Lakers. We'll do that next. We'll try welcome back in what's right with Nick Wright As I'm monitoring Japan Croatia, which is in the seventieth minute tied at one apiece. So we're gonna go through this quickly. So I can see the end of that match. All right, demons, let's read the questions from the chat Batman asked.
Speaker 4: Can Lebron and Anthony Davis both finish this season as the top five player in your opinion?
Speaker 2: No, I listen, I don't think Lebron's top five guy anymore. And we just have to now we can talk more about the Lakers in just a moment. What are you laughing about?
Speaker 3: I mean, Batman, he watches our show.
Speaker 2: It's pretty dope. Oh yeah, that is cool. So Giannis, Luca, Steph KD, Tatum right now all have a claim that they are unquestionably top five. Right Anthony Davis is trying to push one of them out, and the way he's been playing lately, he would be pushing one of them out. But so let's just say eighty's at six.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Eighty So you have to me. You have Giannis is a clear best player in the world. I believe Luca a clear second best player in the world. You then have three guys who have an argument for the third best spot, third best guy, Steph KD and Tatum right now. You then have the next group of guys, which are Jokic, Ja and Anthony Davis. To me, the way Ad is playing right now, those are the guys six through eight. I'm going off the top of my head, Lebron is in that very next tier nine through twelve, somewhere in there. So Lebron is I mean, listen, he almost you know, once a week he has the best game anyone's ever had other than himself for you know, at this point in his career. But he's not. I mean, he's in year twenty. He's he just passed magic and assists and he's still doing these types of things. But what's interesting for the Lakers is this. If Ad keeps this up, they are not a team that can be discounted. If Lebron is your second best guy, you're in amazing shape. And credit word's due. Russ has played really well since he started coming off the bench. He's not turning the ball over, he's being smarter. And when it comes to Lebron, I told you guys, everyone's like, oh, Lebron the worst three point shooter in the league, which he was the until he got hurt and missed that little bit of time. And I told you guys, he's gonna have a stretch where he shoots forty five percent. While I was from three, I was wrong. It's a strutch where he shoots fifty percent. Yeah, And so now he's up to thirty four percent for the season, which is right around his career average. He's going to finish the year round thirty five percent from three, and it's gonna be despite the fact he'll never really shoot thirty five percent from three. He'll shoot. You'll have some one for eight games and some five for seven games, and it will even out in that regard. But the Lakers are interesting again, and that game against the Bucks was their best win since Game three of the first round the year of their title defense against Phoenix, the game that Anthony The next game, Anthony Davis got hurt and the whole thing went to hell.
Speaker 4: All right, next, all right, Jackson says, I need to understand the double standard with teams like Miami and Buffalo two had one bad game in two months and everyone bounces.
Speaker 3: Josh Allen has several in the last month and no one cares.
Speaker 2: All right, First of all, I care now the Josh Allen thing, but this is it is preconceived notions cause analytical bias, but sometimes they're for a good reason. We cannot act as if what you have been up to this point in your career should not factor into whether or not we believe stretches of excellent play or stretches of awful play are concerning or calls for optimism or neither. So Mahomes last year had a month where he played poorly. I was never concerned about him because he had prior to that three and a half years of quarterback play at the highest level we've ever seen. Tua had two years as a bad starting quarterback, then he had this stretch start the year. It's going to need to be more than eight games for us two for at least for me to say, Okay, he's one of those guys. He's a great player. Josh Allen, we have seen what his highs are, so we know Josh Allen can be the quarterback of one of the best teams in football, So you give him more benefit of the doubt. Now, what I also think with Josh Allen is we have seen throughout his entire career high highs and low lows, And I'm one of the only people in the media that seems to care about the low lows. But they've been there, so I do think body of work really matters, and that I mean, that's to me, that's not really a double standard, or it is a double standard, but it is a fair double standard. It is uh, it is have you earned the benefit of the doubt yet or not? Next?
Speaker 4: All right, King of Fedora's asks. Will Brandon Staley be fired after this season?
Speaker 3: No reason? No reason.
Speaker 4: A defensive minded head coach should have one of the worst defenses in the NFL back to back years.
Speaker 2: Okay, if they missed the pas, I do wonderful fire him now. Chargers ownership is pretty cheap by nature, doesn't like to move on from coaches early. I think probably he gets another year, and they've been so injured. But that loss against the Raiders was unacceptable by any measure. Unacceptable. And it's gonna be if the Jets or the Patriots make the playoffs and the Chargers don't. And by the way, that's what would happen. If the Chargers miss, it will be because the Jets or the Patriots take their spot, or I guess the Raiders you know, went out and do it. That is going to be I've liked Staley previously. He obviously hasn't done a great job this year, and that team if your Brandon Staley, what you're worried about is that Chargers ownership is going to for the first time, maybe ever, not be cheap and go out and hire Sean Payton. Because if I'm Sean Payton coaching Justin Herbert, and that's what would concern me as a Chiefs fan, Justin Herbert getting Sean Pater as a head coach.
Speaker 4: Next, Tony ass are the Raiders better than the Chargers despite their record?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think they're better. I think they have similar issues. I do think the Raiders, though, when it's clicking, look like a good team. Josh Jacobs looks like the best running back in football, Devonte's doing great things. I don't trust their coach, and I don't really trust their quarterback, and I don't love their defense, but at times they can look really good. Next.
Speaker 4: All right, Marco's asked Nick, do you think one day soccer will be as big in the US as the other great as the other great American sports? How much of a fan how much of a fan number increase do you expect until twenty twenty six?
Speaker 2: I don't know. About in the short term. On a long enough horizon, do I think soccer could become the third most popular sport? Could it pass baseball? I think it could. I think what it is going to take is a Lebron level star, meaning one of the very best players in the world, maybe not Lebron level, KD level, one of the best players ever, even if he doesn't have to be the best ever being an American. What it is going to take is an American with charisman personality starring for one of the best clubs in Europe. The way to make soccer popular here is not necessarily the MLS, because Americans like to watch the best of the best. But if an American can go over to the premier league and kick ass that player does not yet exist. It's not gonna be Poolicit, who's great for an American but is not one of the twenty best players in the world. It is going to take someone that is as good as maybe don't have to be in Bope, but as good as Benzoma is right now as an American. It's gonna be hard to do next.
Speaker 4: All right, Alan says, why does demands they have pants on under his pants?
Speaker 2: Well, why don't you answer that.
Speaker 4: It's called outside, dude. These are long John's. They're like or you can call them thermals. I learned that thermals are or like wind patterns in the air that like certain birds follow. Okay, like when some people go paaras sailing, they use like these vultures or something to find the thermals so they'll be able to glide smoothly.
Speaker 2: What does that do with your pants?
Speaker 3: They're called thermals, but.
Speaker 2: I understand that. But they but so it's just they're.
Speaker 3: The same name name. But it's also got something to do with the weather, so they're kind of related.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I got you. Listen. Monte has done hard work in his life. Used to build fences, was briefly. Uh, well it doesn't matter. I had other work that was outdoors. Uh. And will not dress in a way to where he's uncomfortable no matter what people think of the fashion. Did you see the picture someone Texas of mahomes. Yeah, mahomes wearing the shorts and the hoodie that demans special. I mean, listen, you and mahomes are around the same age. It might be a gen Z thing.
Speaker 3: It's not a gen Z thing. Man, what you gotta stop saying that. What do you mean it's not a gen Z people wear hoodies in shorts.
Speaker 2: I think gen Z guys do. I don't think it's a bad thing.
Speaker 4: I think I just saw Petrushka's husband Nick outside with a with hoodies in a hoodie low in shorts.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I'm to check that real quick. Also, the audience doesn't know Patrushka and Nick own the ice cream shop right next door to where we do this podcast from sugar Hill Creamery, which is the best ice cream shop in the world.
Speaker 4: But go ahead, Dave just as all up and said, why not just get pants that cover up your legs? Well, because I've worn the one pair of pants that I have that cover up my legs for the last three episodes of the podcast, so I wanted to switch it up a little bit.
Speaker 2: Demonse doesn't have an expansive wardrobe, and he recently bought a piece of clothing on the internet. Yeah, and it has not yet been delivered. It was six weeks ago, and he's so angry about it. He refuses to spend money on any other clothes. Is that about right?
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, I do think that I'm going to request my money at this point, it's yo. On the top of their website, it says basic shipping takes five to seven business days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I ordered only like ninth of November.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think you're getting it, buddy, I think they screwed you.
Speaker 3: I'm getting something. You're okay, all right?
Speaker 2: So Gabe Goodwin says, we'll send some pants along with the big hat. Yeah, do that. And by the way, Joy Taylor tried to bite our stuff, saying she wants one of those big hats. So it's a race to see if the Blue Duck production company or a Fox Sports production can get a big hat in our hand before Joy gets hers. Because if Joy gets it before us, everyone's gonna say we're biting Joy's style and that's unacceptable. Today was a great show. You did great. It's wonderful to be back. I'm gonna watch the end of Japan Croatia. Also, by the way, real quick, let me go ahead and check. We are still on the hunt for one hundred thousand YouTube subscribers. We are sitting presently at right under eighty eight though, yep, So let's get to ninety thousand this week and then have a big December push to try to get to one hundred thousand so demons can get the thousand dollars bonus. On the flip side, maybe we come just short, so I have to give them that thousand dollars bonus because I don't know if you've heard the beginning of the show, but this was not a great weekend for me from the gambling perspective. All right, everybody, wonderful show. Talk to you guys on Thursday for our next show. Oh, what's right,