Speaker 1: You can almost recognize truth by its simplicity. If something is almost like overly complicated around systems or around you know, minutia, it's obscuring something. I think the reason fairy tales are so powerful, and certain children's stories are so powerful is because if it's wise and true, perennially true, we get it intuitively. We don't have to do any calculations, you know, to get it. It's just evident.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the one you feed.
Speaker 3: Throughout time, great tinkers have recognized the importance of the thoughts we have. Quotes like garbage in, garbage out, or you are what you think, ring true. And yet for many of us, our thoughts don't strengthen or empower us. We tend toward negativity, self pity, jealousy, or fear. We see what we don't have instead of what we do. We think things that hold us back and dampen our spirit. But it's not just about thinking. Our actions matter. It takes conscious, consistent, and creative effort to make a life worth living. This podcast is about how other people keep themselves moving in the right direction, how they feed their good wolf.
Speaker 4: We often imagine that once we have it all the inner struggles will disappear. But, as Josh Radner reminds us today, even outward success, fame, acclaim creative fulfillment isn't enough to quiet the deeper battles within. In this conversation, Josh shares how real freedom comes not from achieving perfection, but from making peace with the messy, unfinished parts of ourselves. From navigating identity and public image to sitting in deep discomfort, Josh offers a powerful reminder that a meaningful life isn't built on external measures. It's shaped from the inside out. I'm Eric Zimmer and this is the one you've feed. Hi, Josh, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 4: I am really excited to have you on and talk with you about your new podcast, sub Stack. Your life is a musician, and obviously your life is an actor. But before we get to that, we'll start like we always do, with the Parable. And in the Parable, there's a grandparent who's talking with their grandchild and they say, in life, there are two wolves inside of us that are always at battle. One is a good wolf, which represents things like kindness and bravery and love, and the other is a bad wolf, which represents things like greed and hatred and fear, and the grandchild stops, they think about it for a second, they look up at their grandparent, they say, well, which one wins? And the grandparent says, the one you feed. So I'd like to start off by asking you what that parable means to you in your life and in the work that you do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's one of the greats.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a you built the entire show around it, and I understand why. I think it's about free will at some core level. But I also am very suspicious of people who say they're all good, and I'm also suspicious of people who say someone is all bad. I think that we have worlds inside us, we have the whole world inside us, and so I just think it's an honoring of the fact that there is that dark wolf. But it's also an acknowledgment that where we put our attention is what we grow. So I sometimes think about it like I have like fifty one percent of like the light wolf in me and forty nine percent, like there is a slight majority of the wolf of kindness and virtue and all that, but there's this other part of me, and I think we're in a shadow denying society. That's why there's so much blame and shame and accusation and finger pointing and scapegoating. So I think it's a sign of great mental health to acknowledge the dark wolf inside you, to at least say it's there, and then you might be much less trigger happy at pointing the finger at other people.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: In one of your s is on Substeck, you actually talk a little bit about this. You talk about internal family systems and Richard Schwartz. We've had Richard on the show to talk about eternal family systems. And I think the thing when I hear the parable today, right, I've been reading it for a decade now, is that like, there's not two wolves inside me, there's a whole bunch of them, right, I Mean, there's a lot going on in there when I pay close attention. And but I think ultimately you sort of put your finger on it when you said it's about where do I put my attention? And I think putting our loving attention on the parts of ourselves that might seem like the dark wolf, that's the way you do.
Speaker 2: It, right, you know, right, right? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Richard Schwartz really cracked something there. This kind of search for some sort of solitary identity feels like folly. Yes, Like you just have to kind of acknowledge that there's like a chorus of voices, wounded parts of ourselves, even you know, ancestors are you know, higher kind of voices that are wiser than our maybe our itself, Like those are all in there too, and they're all accessible, I think if we get quiet enough or skilled enough at kind of just asking to be contacted with them.
Speaker 4: Yep, you've got a new podcast out which is a rewatching of the show that I guess we would say made you famous, which is called How I Met Your Mother. Yeah, And in that show there's the character who's I don't know, in his late twenties early thirties, and there's also the character as a fifty year old sort of the narrating. And I think what you just said there sort of ties to this idea that we can access wiser parts of ourselves. And one of the ways to do that, actually, I think, and lots of different traditions have talked about this is to imagine your fifty year old self, or your seventy year old self, or your eighty year old self. So the show Way Back When was kind of onto an idea that I see recur in psychology and various indigenous traditions about trying to contact that part of you that's act already wise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's true, and it is something we're unpacking on how we made Your Mother, the podcast that Craig Thompins and I are doing. My wife is a clinical psychologist and one of the things she will sometimes ask patients to do that she's told me that I think is so wonderful is if they're tied in knots about something and really confused about an issue, she'll say, without thinking, what does your eighty five year old self say?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And the eighty five year old self is there, it's ready to communicate. Most of the time it's this is not a big deal, or don't let's not worry. Let's not worry about that, you know. But I've asked Craig and Carter, the other co creator, about this notion of an older, wiser narrator character looking back on his life. There's that great Curecreguard quote. Life can only be understood backward, but it has to be lived forward. So you have this narrator, wiser voice who's looking back and he can be a little more lighthearted about things because he knows how things worked out, whereas the character I was playing was much more stumbling through one foot in front of the other, you know. I asked them they were in their late twenties early thirties when they were writing the show. I mean it lasted for a decade, but like it was a kind of chutzba you know, to say like, oh no, here, we're going to write this older us voice, this older wiser voice. But they were also the age of the protagonists. Yeah, and they said it was almost like a hope. It was like a hope that there was some voice out there that could be guiding and benevolent. I think ultimately it's a very sweet part of that show that there's this narrator that knew that he landed on his feet so he can tell all these embarrassing stories about himself.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. Yeah, I think that again, that idea is that wisdom is actually not that complicated, Like we can keep reading about it. And I've been making podcasts for a decade on the general ideas of what it means to live a good life. They're not that complicated. The problem is that A we forget them constantly and B we don't know how to live them right right.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that you can almost recognize truth by its simplicity. If something is almost like overly complicated around systems or around you know, minutia, it's obscuring something. I think the reason fairy tales are so powerful, and certain children's stories are so powerful is because if it's wise and true, perennially true, we get it intuitively. We don't have to do any calculations, you know, to get it. It's just evident. Yeah, But I agree with you that we have the kind of built in forgetter. I always think of that movie Memento where he had to tattoo, you know, he would have amnesia every day and he had to remind himself what happened. I feel like wisdom is like that, Like you have to look at the word like change or like this too shall pass, like like perennially wise sayings like yeah, sometimes when you're struggling and a friend says, you know, it won't be like this forever, it's like the simplest, most true thing you could ever say. But sometimes it comes to you as if it's like Moses on the mountaintop. You know, it's like it's divine revelation, like, oh, I won't be feeling this way forever. That's unbelievable. I know that intellectually, but sometimes when we're going through it, it's tough to remember.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. I've talked about this on the show a bunch of times, and I'm bringing it up because you reference King Solomon in one of your substack posts. But there's something known as Solomon's wisdom, and what it means is that King Solomon was really wise when it came to everybody else's life, but apparently his own life not so much. And so it's called Solomon's paradox, right, And it means that idea that I could be really wise about your life or my friend's life, but when it's myself, I have a hard time seeing it. It's just this paradox of being human.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think sometimes people I'm not speaking about my wife here, by the way, but sometimes I think people in the helping professions often have a genius for seeing other people's stuff. I don't know if it's easier, but it's sometimes very difficult to apply your own guidance to yourself. I mean, I've sometimes like a friend has reached out for advice and I like you that when I think that's one of the great things about friendship is you're all kind of trading off being each other's mentor and cheerleader and confidant. But when a friend comes to me and they'll ask me some advice and I'll I'll say something to them, and then I'll hear it back and I'll go, I should do that, that's.
Speaker 2: Really like, that's really good.
Speaker 1: You know, sometimes we have to displace the advice to have it come back to us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So let's talk a little bit about the idea of well, actually you and I did not bond over something that we should have bonded over first, which is that I live in Columbus, Ohio. You live there now, grew up there, I live there now. I'm in Denver today, Okay, but I now live in Columbus, Ohio.
Speaker 2: Yes, wow, whereabouts? Where do you live?
Speaker 4: I'm near good Ale and three point fifteen, sort of grand View Ish Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my sister lived in grand View for a years. She's back in Bexley, where I lived.
Speaker 2: Is that where you grew up?
Speaker 1: That's where I grew up. Yeah, okay, yeah, oh no, she lived in Grandville. Oh that's different. But grand View, Yes, I know Grandview very well.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. Oh how cool. And is that where you grew up?
Speaker 4: It is, Yeah, I grew up in Worthington.
Speaker 2: Oh, in Worthington, okay, cool. Yeah. I did a theater with a lot of people from Worthington. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I just when I saw that, I thought that was cool and nice. Okay, back to what I wanted to talk about next, which is identity. One of the things that I think you've talked publicly about this, both on the podcast and on your sub stack, is that you got to be known really well and beloved by a whole lot of people for a particular character. Right, talk to me about that experience and how it has been for you and how it has evolved over time.
Speaker 1: God, it's been twenty years of navigating that, right, So I think it's like it would take me a long time to unpack each phase. I guess no one prepares you, certainly in drama school, for you're going to be playing one role for nine years, Like that's not something they think you're going to do a role for three months, or like, you know, like do a check off play for you know, four months. So I had to figure it out on my own, and sometimes I did that rather inelegantly, and other times I was able to have some more grace around it. But I just found it to be an incredibly strange disorienting thing. I mean, first of all, your anonymity getting eroded and strangers knowing who you are when you don't know who they are.
Speaker 2: Is a very strange disorienting experience.
Speaker 1: Anyway, famous strange being visible is strange people having ideas about you, projections about you. They read a quote of yours that was taken out of context, and then I don't know, they don't like you, or you remind them of someone like you feel a little bit in your more vulnerable moments, like you got a dartboard on your chest. You're just walking through the world and you feel like people are kind of sizing you up or having opinions about you, and some of them are often quite lovely, but that also feels suspect, like you feel like these people don't really know me, they know they have this idea of me. I went through some crisis with it, and I used various forms of kind of healing, and I was just on the hunt for something that felt more authentic in the midst of all that, and it drove me much deeper on a spiritual path weirdly, I mean maybe not weirdly, like as understandable. And then I got off the show, and as an actor, I was only looking for roles that felt very far from the role that I had played. Anything that reminded me of the DNA of the part I wouldn't do. But I also became a musician and I've written in directed films, and so I was really just trying to diversify. But what I realized I was actually doing was running. I was running away from it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I said in that sub stect that you referenced that this character I played Ted was a part of me, like in the ifs sense, like he is a part of me in that he was literally a part that I played. But there's also I can feel I revealed something to the world of myself through that character. I got married a little over a year ago and my wife had never seen the show, and she said, look, I'm curious, And that was a good thing for us for our relationship that she had never seen the show, but she said, I'm curious about this time in your life that I missed.
Speaker 2: I want to see it.
Speaker 1: So I decided it was time to re watch it, and we just decided to formalize it. Craig and I are doing this rewatch and we're having a great time talking about it. But there's been something wonderful about having much like this show itself, having this older, wiser perspective on it rather than being the person inside of it, but actually looking back on it and seeing, oh, I wasn't half bad on that show, and the show itself is delightful and I'm so much kinder to myself watching it now. So I'm having like a very meta, very interesting experience re engaging with the show. But in terms of identity issues, it was both shattering and also opened up all these avenues of my life for which I'm incredibly grateful.
Speaker 4: I love how you talk about it in such a nuanced way, and you referenced nuance in the beginning, right, we're not all bad, We're not all good. I think nuance is kind of the secret sauce to wisdom to a certain degree, but you talk about it in the sense like, imagine that you were in high school. We were all in high school, and twenty years later, all anybody ever wants to talk about is who you were in high school, not anything you had done since all of that, and how that might get to be tiresome or confusing. And yet at the same time you're also recognizing this profound gift that you got, right, I mean, that changed the trajectory of your life in a positive way. And I like seeing you kind of come back and revisit it from a more holistic place. And I think the lesson for all of us is around identity, and that identity is ideally, in my mind, fluid, meaning I can play this part of me, I can play this part of me, I can see this, I can see that. But we tend to get fixed in this idea of who we are, you know, we just get locked into I am this way, And as somebody who studies change and has written a book that'll come out next year about change, what I know is that we are all capable of change. But if we believe we're not, we're really stuck.
Speaker 1: Right, And it kind of goes back to what we were talking about before, Like I had an acting teacher at NYU named Ron Van Lewin. One of the first things he said to us was, you need to expand your definition of yourself. You're here to expand your definition of yourself. That you're not this thing, you're all these things. And when you're more things, and when you know yourself to be more things, you can play more things. Truthfully, you can access more of yourself to play a wider array of characters in a larger sense. Like my brother in law, Gideon Jacobs. I saw him in this one man show that he created last night, and it's this blind preacher character and it was really fascinating. But he's obsessed with the second commandment in the Torah, which says thou shalt not make any graven images, right, and his whole thing, you know, going back to the Garden of Eden again, not speaking literally, but allegorically, this notion that humanity in its primordial state was unself conscious and connected to all that was, there was no separation, and then there's this bite of this apple, this kind of primordial wound, and suddenly it's oh my god, I'm naked, Oh my god, you're separate.
Speaker 2: From me, Oh my god, God is elsewhere.
Speaker 1: It's actually like a horror story if you think about it from an existential.
Speaker 2: Point of view. Totally right.
Speaker 1: And his thing is that the commandment against images is actually quite profound, that what happened to Adam and Eve allegorically in the garden was that they suddenly got a self image, which is grievous to our psyche because we're watching ourselves and now image is everything, and it's proliferated to the point where I even think about like the iPhone, you know, I mean one he points out the apple, right, like we all have these devices in our in our pockets that are these apples with a bite out of them, and then the iPhone, the iMac, the iPad, the you know, there's this kind of IIII and this recursive kind of loop of images, images, self images. What does the say about me? What does the say me? And I am as hooked by this stuff as anyone. I'm not hovering over this as some sort of like angry profit. I'm in the midst of this negotiation, and as I think we all are with image and identity, I think that everyone is dealing with it on some level.
Speaker 2: It's not just famous people.
Speaker 1: Everyone has some persona or a yes, maybe a private self, and then there's like a public self. I don't like to create that much of a distinction between the two. Like I don't want to have a persona even though I'm going to be different with my wife than I am on a post on Instagram or something. But yeah, I also don't want to feel like I have this jackal and height split in myself. But I think identity is really tricky, and when you become famous, and you become famous for a particular role, it just pours fertilizer all over the many things that can be troubling about it.
Speaker 4: Yeap, what you just shared about your brother in law is fascinating. I had never heard that take on the Second Commandment. I'm a longtime Zen practitioner, right, and one of the things that we do in Zen is we're trying to see through this usion that we are this separate thing, right, right, So I've always seen the Garden of Eden's story as like I've been able to see the parallel there, right, that's separateness. But I never thought about the Second Commandment in images that we create.
Speaker 1: Yeah, A friend recommended this book by a Sufi mystic that's all about music, And in the first paragraph he says music is the only form of art that's not idolatry because there's no form. It's from a transcendent kind of realnd you can't draw music, you know, you can't capture it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I love painting and dance in theater obviously. I mean, I'm not an anti image person, but I think sometimes when we have an image of ourselves and we are constantly critiquing it and looking at it from all different angles, it takes up a lot of time and energy, Yes, but it's also psychically quite draining. When someone has a peak experience. One of the ways that one defines that is a loss of self absolutely right, that you go away, Yes, And Jordana and my wife has pointed out that like often after those peak experiences, as we say, I could die now, right, like you're resolved enough to the point where you feel like your life has achieved some sort of meaning that you wouldn't be haunted by regret that you've seen through it in a zen sense.
Speaker 4: Let's change directions a little bit. There was a line that you used. I don't know if it's a line you've used before, or if you just tossed it off, and it's during the How I Made Your Mother podcast, but you referred to how you view that show and you know your relationship with that character, and you use the phrase the mercy of time, and I just loved that. Did you just kind of toss that off?
Speaker 1: I think maybe I've said that before. I don't know if it's like a catch hraise of mind. Yeah, but I do think that there is a merciful quality to time. I mean, often we look at time as a bully or a grim reaper kind of, you know, after us. The same time, if you've aged, say, and you have a different perspective on your life, if you have more forgiveness for your life or people in your life, if you find yourself less, self conscious less obsessed with the opinion of other people, that's all time doing its work. If you've ever had grief, if you've ever had loss, relationships ending innumerable kinds of heartbreaks, to feel not the same way you felt in the aftermath of that, in the shrapnel of that, that is the mercy of time. That time, it is a healer in some profound way.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm glad I was able to say that, yes, you can look at this as a goofy sitcom, but it also had some quite deep existential things that was chewing on at the same time.
Speaker 4: I think time is so interesting. I'm here in Denver this week spending time with my mother, who's eighty who I spent the last decade of my life with her in Columbus with me, but we moved her out here about a year ago to be near my sister, and she's in a senior community. So I have been there a lot this week. And you can't be around old people that much without starting to think about time and the obvious downsides to it, the decaying body and the challenges that come with that. And I do think time is a healer, and I also think it's necessary but not sufficient for certain types of healing, right Like I do think time will take the sting out of a lot of things, but I don't think time necessarily gives wisdom.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: But I often look at myself and I think about, you know, I was a homeless heroin addict at twenty five. I've been on a path of recovery since and all this stuff I've done, and I look at myself and kind of where I'm at, and I sometimes think to myself, how much of how I feel now is all that work that I've put in, and how much of it is just the fact that I'm much older now, right, and time has sort of done its thing to a certain degree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, it's a really interesting question. I also don't think time confers wisdom. I mean, I think that you have to accept wisdom. It's almost like it's on offer. It's almost like the library is there. There's free books, yes, with all the great wisdom, all the greatest stories, all the greatest everything. You can go there. You can go there, you can get a library card and you can read it. And I feel like wisdom is kind of like that, it's floating out there. I think you have to volunteer for it. You have to kind of say I would like to receive this, and then it almost like picks your antenna up in a different way so you're more attuned. We just met, But you strike me as someone like me who loves a good quote, who's always on the hunt for some new thing that you can kind of throw in the wisdom backpack and kind of carry along with you, right, It's always been really interesting to me. I also think when we're younger and you're interested, or when you get the sense, okay, I understand that I'm not going to be young forever, like I'm going to age, and you know, a lot of young people simply don't believe this, and it's again, maybe that's the mercy of youth, is that you you don't know that you're going to age.
Speaker 2: You think you'll be the.
Speaker 1: Center of culture forever, and it's like, no, you won't. There'll be another generation come along and your slang's not going to work anymore. It's going to be like okay, boomer, everyone gets okay boomered.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: But I think if you're looking, because I was always scared of aging, but I always was like, well, how do you do it well? Like who are the people that I think are doing it well? I love this Franciscan priest, Richard Ror very much. Do you know Richard Ror?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've had Richard on several times and visited him and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I listened to yours with Richard. I do remember that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I've gotten to spend some time with Richard, and I got to sit with Ramdas a few times and nice. There are just these characters that I just say their bodies are betraying them. Or Rondas is no longer with us, but you know, he had a stroke that really immobilized him in certain ways, and Richard's had his health challenges, so the body stuff feels non negotiable. I mean, you can try to keep the wheels on as long as you can, but there is a kind of sparkle in the eye of someone who knows something. They've gotten to an age and they know something, and they're not bitter about roads not taken and regrets, and they just seem to have called a truce with the world.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I think Richard calls it like you know, I've heard it said, like dropping the war with reality, right, Like I'm no longer at war with reality. And I want to be a person who ages with some grace. And I don't just mean, you know, looking good, although that would be terrific, but I really mean being the kind of person that a young person would look at and say they look like they know something, or they look like they're doing it right, or I'd like to get advice from that person.
Speaker 2: That person seems like they maybe know something.
Speaker 4: When I meet old people and interact with old people, it's always instructive to me because I see like, Okay, that's where I want to go, and I see like, that's definitely where I don't want to go, right And so like in the way that my partner's mother when she had Alzheimer's, that was a huge wake up call to us, like, okay, health, like we can't prevent it, but there's a lot of stuff we can do that's going to make it less likely that we get Alzheimer's or other things. So I think about it in a health sense. I think about it in a sort of old people sort of start to fossilize, so like pushing myself towards new experiences, which gets harder, I think as you age. I just feel it already at fifty five. And then also, like you said, I think about it emotionally or spiritually in that way. Life is going to get hard from here in some ways, like I know what's coming, So I need to be training now to the best of my ability so that I'm able to be one of those people that is able to do it with a certain degree of grace because I can see how easy it would be to not do it gracefully.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's also like wisdom is on offer, but so is cynicism. Yeah, you know that's also like an option. You know, you there's again these are wolves, right, They're all wolves. But I always thought it would be such a tragedy to live one of these lives, which I consider a gift. I mean, I'd rather say in one of my songs, I'd rather be here than not be here. I always thought it would be such a tragedy to get to the end of it and be filled with resentment and bitterness and grievance.
Speaker 2: And you know, like I want to get to.
Speaker 1: A place where I am more forgiving, more compassionate, more generous. But you know, I also don't want to under sell that life is tough. You know, it puts up a real fight. You can make a very strong and compelling argument that the world is meaningless and that bad people triumph and good people suffer, and you could compile a lot of data around that. You could make as equally a compelling case about the opposite. Right, again, well, these are all wolves, But I always thought it's so much more heartening and it makes the universe for me so much more inhabitable. To choose the latter, Yeah, to say, I believe there's meaning. I believe there's a purpose to this thing. I believe that what undergirds this is something benevolent. You know, that doesn't mean that death isn't real, It doesn't mean pain isn't real, it doesn't mean that. You know, we're not going to struggle in myriad ways. But I just have to get my mind sharpened. And it's a daily practice because I have the forgetter, you know, I have that thing that forgets.
Speaker 2: But you know, conversations like this help.
Speaker 4: Before we dive back into the conversation, let me ask you something. What's one thing that has been holding you back lately? You know that it's there, You've tried to push past it, but somehow it keeps getting in the way. You're not alone in this, and I've identified six major saboteurs of self control, things like autopilot behavior, self doubt, emotional escapism that quietly derail our best intentions. But here's the good news. You can outsmart them. And I've put together a free guide to help you spot these hidden obstacles and give you simple, actionable strategies that you can use to regain control. Download the free guide now at oneufeed dot net slash ebook and take the first step towards getting back on track. I'm a little bit more existentially turned in that I'm not a believer in any sort of ultimate meaning. But I don't think that makes life meaningless. I just think it means we need to discover our own meaning and imbue it into our life. But I agree with you one hundred percent about there are different ways to view the world. I mean, you know, the old way of calling it was op and pessimism, and that's an oversimplification. Those are binaries. But there is a view that orients towards the goodness that is in the world, the kindness that is in the world, the beauty that is in the world, the connectivity that is in the world. And if both are true, which I think they are, and we're making it up, we're making up the meaning we want to give it, because that is what I think we are largely doing. Then a really a good question is like, which is the most useful view?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Which view is going to be better for me and the people around me in this world, and for me, it's the view that is not cynical. It's not pollyannish either, And that's where I'd kind of like to take the conversation, because you have a great article on Substack that I really loved, because you got into perhaps my most pressing question that I think about these days, and it's this idea that, as you said earlier, dropping the war with reality makes a lot of sense, right because reality wins, and we also have a view of ourselves and the world that could be better, and those things sometimes are at odds with each other. And I think a lot about how do you know which of those levers to pull the I should change this lever, I should accept this lever. And I'd just love to hear you think through that question.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I have written quite a bit about this in terms of we want to accept there's a negotiation that has to take place between acceptance and action. Yes, right, exactly what I'm talking Okay, Okay, yeah, so yeah, I mean the way I think through this is if I throw a temper tantrum about something in my life or something happening in politics or the world, do you know, Anne LaMotte, Yeah, I think she has some great salty kind of wisdom, and I just I really like her quite a bit. But she says, there's three types of problems in the world. There's me problems, you problems, and God problems. She calls God problems, wars, hurricanes, you know, natural disasters, things that are so outside of her ability to actually control an influence. And then you problems are obviously you problems, and me problems are me problems. And she says she gets into suffering when she tries to fix God problems and you problems. Right, So that makes a lot of sense to me. That just clarifies things for me. It's a bit of a serenity prayer kind of breakdown. You know, what can I control? What can I not control? I try to avoid having temper tantrums around things as they are, because, like you said, reality wins. But I think we have a much better chance of at least getting called on to participate if we start with acceptance, like just a blanket acceptance like this is how it is right now, and then we look at what we might be able to change in effect and what we can't. And sometimes you're gonna, you know, try to twist them nons and it's not going to work. And other times something will move the needle. But I think starting with like a kind of radical acceptance, it takes me out of some pain, right because the pain is in the resistance. It shouldn't be this way. And then you're you're really at war with reality and you're really in a losing position. You're just this spec shouting in the Grand Canyon or something for something to be different.
Speaker 4: I love what you said there, the negotiation between acceptance and action. That's really good because that's what I think it is. I think often about One of the first guests on the show is a gentleman named Andrew Solomon, and he wrote a book called The Noonday Deal. Oh.
Speaker 2: I read The Noon Day Demon. He's very brilliant, Andrew Solomon, He's brilliant.
Speaker 4: He wrote another book called Far from the Tree.
Speaker 2: I read that too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, an amazing book. But what stuck with me through all the years, and this is a decade ago that we first talked about this was he was talking about parents whose children are artistic. Yeah, he talked about how hard it is for them because there are some group of people saying you can change this, you can fix this. Some of that might be snake oil, some of it might be real some of it, but you can do something. And then there's you can't do anything about this, right, and you accept it. And if you accept your child for the way they are, maybe that's just an all around easier case. And what I love that he said is if you know you can't change something, it's easy to go about the business of accepting it. If you know you can change something, it's easy to go about the business of changing it. And most of us live in this very difficult middle part. But I think the way you just said it is a really elegant, almost poetic way of saying. It's the negotiation between acceptance and action, and that that negotiation, in certain situations never gets settled. It's not like you all reach an agreement and it's done. You live in the negotiation.
Speaker 1: I think so, and live in the question. But also I think nature is useful to kind of pay attention to. I mean, I lived in California where it was less visible, but I'm back on the East Coast and just watching the seasons happen and watching you know, the flowers bloom and then fade away in the fall, and the leaves fall off the trees, and then the barren and the snow and the and you know, a farmer knows that there's a time to sew and a time to reap. I think in America, especially or in the West, we have this idea that we should always.
Speaker 2: Be growing, growing, growing, doing, doing doing.
Speaker 1: It's almost like disobeying the laws of nature in some fundamental way, because there is a time for rest, I mean true rest, you know, really gathering another round of information, not more energy. And I try to remember that this might not be a season of change, This might be a season of acceptance.
Speaker 2: You know this.
Speaker 1: I didn't grow up Christian, but a lot of my friends who grew up like in more evangelical circles, they always say, you know, I'm in a real season of doubt, or this is a real season of abundance, you know.
Speaker 2: And I always liked that language.
Speaker 1: I always thought it was like useful language because it implies that it's not forever.
Speaker 2: And again that's a mercy.
Speaker 4: We've referenced suffering a little bit, and you talk about discomfort. Is the doorway as the name of one of your substack posts, And in it you did something where you put a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon. And I was struck by that because I've taught this program for years called Wise Habits, and I use a lot of Calvin and hobbstrips to teach because I just think there's so much wisdom in them. Are you also a fan?
Speaker 2: A casual fan.
Speaker 1: I had stumbled across that happiness isn't enough for me man euphoria. I think that was the exactly that was the one. Yeah, I stumbled across it, and I just pulled it and I had it in a file of things that kind of delighted me. It's also something you know, my friend Hal says about addicts. He says, the only emotional acceptable to an addict is euphoria. He says, you know, it's two pm on a Tuesday. Where's my euphoria?
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm a lot of years sober. And I still laugh because I relate with that. And I love that Calvin cartoon because where it starts is him enjoying a nice day.
Speaker 2: Ah huh.
Speaker 4: He's like, here, I am enjoying this nice day, you know, And then he thinks, but I'm not euphoric, right, And then the last frame says I can't remember whether he said I need to stop my mind while I'm still ahead, or my mind's out to get me, or something along those lines of, like he's able to see knowing what I know about you and your taste from reading your substack and looking at a lot of the things you reference. Calvin and Hobbes, I think is a deeply, deeply wise strip across the board, and I think it's one of the more brilliant works of art in humanity?
Speaker 2: Is that Bill Watterson?
Speaker 4: Waterson, Yeah, I think he's.
Speaker 2: A Kenyan grad. I think he went to my college where I went.
Speaker 1: Okay, there was a lore, kind of Kenyan lore that his senior year he drew.
Speaker 2: Cartoons all over the wall. Uh huh.
Speaker 1: He kind of did like his own Sistine chapel of cartoons on the wall, and they painted over it. And it's this kind of like lost masterpiece, like somewhere in a dorm at Kenyon are all these early cartoons.
Speaker 4: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: But I think he was a philosophy major and that's why he called it. Calvin and Hobson. Yeah, yeah, I don't know. It just really it really struck me. I just thought it was a funny thing, you know, that human thing, you know, if a little is good, more is better.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Can I ask when did you get sober?
Speaker 4: Well? I got sober from Heroin in nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: I stayed sober about eight years. Then I started to drink again, and I drank for about three years. Yeah, and then I've been sober from that for like seventeen years. So the vast majority of my adult life has been in sobriety, which I'm very grateful for. In many ways, I'm grateful that like when I start, I just kind of burned the house down pretty quick. Yeah, it's pretty clear, like, Okay, something needs to happen versus like the long goodbye kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, yep. Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Speaking of Ohio and Bill Watterson, there's a big cartoon library at OSU, and they have one of the biggest collections of Bill Watterson cartoons in the world, and so you can go visit a little bit of a shrine for me. We talked a little bit about this idea of negotiating acceptance and action, and I think that some of the things I pulled for that came from a post of yours about not minding what happens, which is a Christiana Murdi quote. And I wanted to talk about something in particular that you talk about in there, which is you on of Apastna retreat. Was that just this last December or was it the December before that?
Speaker 2: I know it was last December, like six months ago.
Speaker 4: Okay, so yeah, yeah, you opened a sort of sharing your experience.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it was a real challenge for me. Like it, it was much more challenging. Have you ever done of apossable?
Speaker 4: I have done long silent retreats, not a specific of apostle unless you consider insight meditation society like Jack Cornfield.
Speaker 2: To yeah rock. How long are those like, e eight days or nine days?
Speaker 4: Yeah, seven to eight. There's some weekend ones. Yeah, I've mostly done Zenchines, which are eight days.
Speaker 2: Okay. Yeah, and that's total silence.
Speaker 4: Total silence. And like you said, no books, you know, Yeah, I'm like two days into it, and I'm like, I'll give you one hundred dollars for a Cereal box to read. I know, like give me a Cereal box to read.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: They had these instructions in the room about how you were supposed to clean your room when you left, and I read those like it was the tall mode or something like I was. I went so deep on this thing in a fascinating way. It shows you what you're addiction to in a broader sense, not just about in chemicals or anything, but really about like I'm addicted to words, I'm addicted to information, I'm addicted to the news, I'm addicted to you know, and I'm also addicted to talking, like truly just talking. It was a very fascinating experience and an experiment. It was what it felt like on my psyche, and largely I was in an enormous amount of discomfort for the majority of the time.
Speaker 2: I would say, but I.
Speaker 1: Felt incredibly unmored and kind of confused about even not being able to say certain like pleasantries, like in the line at the dining hall, like if you felt like you cut someone off, you just want to say, oh, sorry, were you here?
Speaker 2: Do you want to go?
Speaker 1: Like you couldn't do any of the like little signifiers of we're in a society and we're sharing space.
Speaker 2: I just found it really challenging.
Speaker 1: I ended up having to talk to the teacher a few times because I was one I was borderline almost having a panic attack, and then I found I enjoyed these talks and they were only about four or five minutes long, but I enjoyed being witnessed. The basics of like relational communication are very important to me, and when I was supposed to exist in silence without them, I felt deep grief. I can't, I don't know. It was so much harder than I thought it would be. And my meditation practice has been really wonky since.
Speaker 2: I got back.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 1: My wife and I were at the Botanic Gardens this morning and we meditated and it was so nice, and I was like, I really want to get back into a practice. But I think I had like a It wasn't quite trauma, but it was definitely like something got provoked. I had moments of fear. I had moments of grief. I know, they say, you know, lots of stuff's going to come up, but something about it I found very challenging. That said, by the end of it, once you're allowed to talk for the last day, like I felt like I had been paroled, like I was. I was so excited, you know, I do. I went on these long walks up and down this road every single day. Like three times a day. I just didn't know what to do with myself. And I saw my monkey mind really really in action. Yeah, and I saw how I'm in a society. There's another Christian Murdy quote, it's no measure of health to be well adapted to a profoundly six society.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you've come across that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I am somewhat adapted to this society. I mean it's the one I grew up in. It's like I do fairly well navigating it. And then you take me out of that society and I don't have my whatever op eds to read, or my books to read, or my music to listen to. And I realized, oh, I'm a little bit insane actually, Like my mind is so far from being quiet. Although I will say I had a couple of meditations where I had no body, no time, you know that I did. I did taste that timeless realm, but the getting there it was rough.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they can be rough. I actually do okay with the silence in groups of people. I'm a little shy, so I actually find it sort of enjoyable to be in companionship and not have to figure out what to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my wife is the same way. She's done two or three of a postumism. She always appreciates not having to talk.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like that part. And even when what I've learned is when the silence ends, I've learned to take myself away because it just is it's overwhelming to me all of a sudden. But I do like being with the people like that. I mean, it's not that I want to be alone. I enjoy the community aspect, I think for me. And you said in this post, I think you said that boredom and discomfort are the two emotions you most can't tolerate. And I think that's very much me too. And it's the no reading that just kills me. That's probably the hardest for me, because I can entertain myself pretty well with a book. Yeah, I've gone on a couple with the spiritual teacher Adi Ashanti. I don't know if you're familiar with him.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I know, I did chat. Yeah.
Speaker 4: They do something interesting, which is they give you it might be two or three paragraphs of his and that's all you're allowed to read. So you do what you did with the cleaning instructions on the wall, right, you're like, I'm reading it, but for me, I descend deep into it like a since it's so little to read and I want to read so often, it becomes ultimately certainly a contemplative act, if not a meditative act.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I also hilariously like I would make my bed as if it was going to be inspected by the military, like.
Speaker 2: I would just anything.
Speaker 1: You're trying to give yourself any activity. There were certain days where I just unfolded and refolded all my clothes.
Speaker 2: I didn't even have that many clothes there, but I just was looking.
Speaker 1: And it also showed me how addicted I am to action and doing this. You know, I really I was constantly looking for something to actually do. That's why these walks outside just became like my lifeline.
Speaker 4: That's interesting. I was just thinking how funny it would be if we segued into a commercial for VPASTAA retreats, how mad they would be about like Josh Radner says that.
Speaker 1: Well, also, I mean they're free. And I loved the Gwenka talks at Night. You know, they have these pre recorded talks from Gwenka who are I think they were in the earlier mid nineties, these talks and they're fantastic and they're really inspiring. And one of the things he says is, we give you a taste of what it's like to be a monk. For ten days, we take away the world from you, We give you all your meals. All you're here to do is be contemplative and sink into this place. My wife tries to remind me. She says, when you came home from that, you were euphoric, but like two days later, I went into this like weird, kind of down depressive state that didn't lift.
Speaker 2: For a while. So I've been struggling in some ways.
Speaker 1: I wrote that substack piece to try to work through what that experience was for me, what it meant, and maybe I'm still working through it as I talk even I'm kind of like, oh yeah, I need to do some more processing of that. You know, it was incredibly rewarding, but it was also very hard. And when people say would you go back, my answer right now is no. You know, I hear wonderful things about like insight and all that.
Speaker 4: But before we wrap up, I want you to think about this. Have you ever ended the day feeling like your choices didn't quite match the person you wanted to be. Maybe it was autopilot mode or self doubt that made it harder to stick to your goals. And that's exactly why I created The Six Saboteurs of Self Control. It's a free guide to help you recognize the hidden patterns that hold you back and give you simple, effective strategies to break through them. If you're ready to take back control and start making lasting changes, download your copy now at oneufeed dot net slash ebook. Let's make those shifts happen starting today one you feed net slash ebook. I don't know if Audia Chanti is still doing retreats. It turns out that those have been my favorite because they don't feel like an endurance contest. You do have to be quiet, you can only read this thing, but it doesn't feel like meditation battle in like you're meditating for like ten hours a day. You know, he gives a couple talks, he actually does a guided meditation. There's just a little bit more happening. You still meditate a lot, don't get me wrong, but it just felt less arduous in the bad way. Not that some difficulty isn't good, but too much difficulty as you're reflecting can be too much. Well, we are at the end of our time for this. You and I are going to continue in a post show conversation and we're going to talk about a substack post that you wrote called locked Doors, but I'm going to put a slightly different point on it. This conversation is for any of you who wrestle with wanting what you can't have, which feels like a story of my life up to a certain point. Listeners, if you'd like access to that post show conversation, ad free episodes, a special episode I do, and to be a supporter of the show, you can go to one ufeed dot net, slash join And last thing I'll say, Josh, if you want a way back into meditation that feels nice. A friend of mine and one of the best meditation teachers I know, Henry Shukman, has an app called The Way and it's really good. It's just very nice. He's got a great English accent. It's just very soothing and wonderful. So anyway, thank you Josh for joining us. I really appreciate it absolutely.
Speaker 2: It is such a pleasure to talk to you.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for listening to the show. If you found this conversation helpful, inspiring, or thought provoking, I'd love for you to share it with a friend. Sharing from one person to another is the lifeblood of what we do. We don't have a big budget and I'm certainly not a celebrity, but we have something even better, and that's you. Just at the ship button on your podcast app, or send a quick text with the episode link to someone who might enjoy it. Your support means the world, and together we can spread wisdom one episode at a time. Thank you for being part of the one You Feed community.