Speaker 1: Welcome to Before Breakfast, a production of iHeartRadio. Good Morning, This is Laura, Welcome to the Before Breakfast podcast. Today's episode is going to be a longer one. It's part of my series of interviews with people talking about how they take their days from great to awesome. I am so excited to introduce you today to Kathleen Paley, who is a lawyer, a dedicated volunteer, a mother, and a podcaster, among other things. And what I love about talking with Kathleen is that she is always looking for ways to make the world around her better as she is also looking for ways to make her own life run well. So, Kathleen, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Thank you for having me. I'm just honored to be here.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Well, please tell our little listeners a little bit about yourself.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll try not to repeat what you do share, but you're right. I'm a lawyer and a mom. I have two teen preteen kiddos, and I'm a litigator of the big law firm in DC. And you put those together and that's a lot to handle. But I don't want that to be all of life. So I have a few volunteer gigs and have so many kind of thoughts about using our time and our resources in effective efficient ways that I was like, you know what, I got to start a podcast too to talk about all this. So there are a lot of balls in the air, and that makes for a very busy but also very fun life.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Well, I wonder if you could talk through a little bit about your morning routine, and from what I understand, you have more of a hybrid schedule where some days you are working from home and some days you are in your office, and obviously some days you're on the road as well. But maybe you could talk through what your morning routine looks like on those different days and how you figured out what works for you.
Speaker 2: All right, yes, you are very correct, I will say, the days they're on the road, I have no morning routine except get up and just like start grinding for work. But when home there are two kind of templates Mondays and Fridays. I work from home and that gives a lot of flexibility in terms of how the morning goes. Now, one of the things I think is incredibly valuable to my own values and like the life I want to live is I want to take my kids to the bus stop, and so even though I have a teen who is over six feet tall and does not want to be taken to the bus stop, we still walk together in the morning and it's a nice few minutes to just chat and very relaxed. So on work from home mornings, I get up at six fifteen and we are out the door by six thirty going to the bus stop. But that gives a lot of flexibility between about six thirty and nine o'clock. Now, I used to feel like as soon as I was done with like official parental duties, I should start working, So by six forty five or seven am, I should be doing you know, billable lawyery work. And with time I realized that that does not build the kind of life I want. I'm going to do all the work that needs to be done, but it doesn't need to be done at that time. So now on those mornings when I'm working from home, between about six forty five and nine o'clock, I use that time for things that I find valuable. That includes things like at this point, drafting podcast scripts and reading and spending time with my other kid, or going Sometimes I just go for a walk and it's just lovely, especially now that the fall weather is starting to arrive, to just go for a walk, stretch your legs, clear your thoughts, get sort of energized for the day. And so that means two Mores, Mondays and Fridays, I have about two and a half hours of flexible time to do stuff that I find life affirming. I also throw in a load of laundry, you know, unload the dishwasher, do those sorts of things to keep you know, the daily rhythms of family life going. But those don't actually take all that much time. They take kind of a mental load, but they don't take a lot of time. So, you know, this morning, we're filming on a Friday, and I took the kid to the bus stop, and then I wrote out some interview questions for my own podcast. I read for a while, I journaled for a while, and I went for a walk. And so you do that twice a week. That's five hours a week of really like good kind of you could almost call it. I kind of hate the term self care, but in a way, it's like self care time. Now three days a week I go into the office. That starts with take the kid to the bus stop, and then go straight to the office. But that means I'm getting there really early, like in the seven of hour, which gives a great jumpstart to the day to get through the backlog of things that need to be done and before the office fills up. And so I like that sort of quiet, slightly contemplative time at the office three mornings a week when it's just me and my caffeine source and my inbox, and I try to very much like match the work to the energy levels and you know, the rhythms that are going on, so I can blast through a whole ton of stuff before people arrive.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Yeah, mornings really are a great time to get things done. And I love that since Monday and Friday are work from home days, you even start the week with a big dose of this morning self care. Right, it feels a little bit different than just diving straight into to the office. It's probably a very different sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that really dramatically reduces those Sunday scaries when you know, oh, tomorrow morning, I've got a little bit of flexibility. There's a little bit of a a like a mental bridge to get into you know, the weak full speed.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, So your podcast is called minimal dish, So like minimalism, but ends with minimal dish. So what do you mean by minimalish and what is appealing to you about sort of a lighter version of minimalism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great question. I think the driving force for me is that I want to remove distractions so that I can focus on the very many, many cool things that life presents, all of these opportunities. The issue is, I think sometimes the term minimalism is it's hijacked a little bit into people who talk about like I want to do nothing, I want total emptiness of the schedule, and it's its own little cult in a way that does not appeal to me. I do not want emptiness. I do want not want nothing. Thing that is totally unappealing. And so that sort of brand of minimalism you see online, I think that it's boring and it can come off as sort of preachy or self righteous. And what I'm looking for is figuring out how to focus on what I figure in my own life to be the right stuff. But when there's so much going on, that does mean needing to kind of cut out the clutter. And so there are four kinds of clutter you could say that I've tried to cut out in life. One is visual clutter, stuff management, just you know, you know, when you've got kids and you've got a lot of balls in the air. I think we both have dogs. There's a lot to keep going, and having just less stuff around, particularly for those of us who are sort of distracted by visual clutter, is helpful, just having fewer things to manage. I also try to cut out schedule clutter and keep the commitment levels to the right level. And one example is my kids are both pretty competitive athletes, and we want them to be able to play at a competitive level. But we don't want entire weekends every weekend to be taken up with tournaments where you're driving six hours away, you're spending all day, you're staying the night, you're doing a tournament the next day too. That's not the right level of commitment for us, So schedule clutter. We let them play in a travel league that has two games a week, not like an AAP basketball league where you're doing the tournament every weekend. We don't want to be essentially taxi drivers for our entire lives, so schedule clutter. We try to keep things at a level that like lets them compete but doesn't ruin the family dynamic. I also try to cut out financial clutter. That includes being very reflective on what spending actually gives value to our lives and what doesn't, and really questioning some questioning the defaults that we tend to fall into, particularly when life is busy and you could start throwing money at everything. I want to figure out where I really get value from throwing money at the problem, And like, right now I have some cleaning folks in my home because I get value from having someone help with that. But there are other things that we don't, you know, we don't throw money at that. Also that removing financial clutter also involves eliminating debt. We just paid off everything as quickly as possible, and that is such a reduced mental load of just worry. It reduces your worry when you don't have debt. And then finally, I know I've gone on a long time here. I try to remove mental clutter, and that the way I put it is, uh I have Maybe this is just part of being in your forties, but I've really stopped caring about the judgments of others and what they're going to say about my choices. I'm willing to be a little bit unconventional. I'm willing to be a little bit weird, and if someone thinks that it's strange, I really don't care. We're going to live lives on our own terms. So that's my take on Minimalish, cutting out various forms of clutter so that we can live the lives that make us sort of very individually, particularly most satisfied.
Speaker 1: Sounds good. Well, we're going to take a quick ad break and then we're going to come back and learn about a very cool project that Kathleen did before turning forty. Well, we are back for those just joining us. This is the longer version of Before Breakfast. Once a week or so, I am doing an interview with someone who is doing cool things in their lives, taking their days from great to awesome. We are talking with Kathleen Paley, who is a lawyer, a mother, a volunteer, and the host of the Minimalish podcast. Well, Kathleen, you did a really cool project of forty acts of kindness before turning forty. I believe I wonder if you could talk a little bit about that project and maybe just highlight one or two of the things you did as part of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wanted to memorialize turning forty in some kind of way, but was not seeking a big birthday party or anything that's actually turns out to be a good thing, because I turned forty in the summer of twenty twenty, so if there had been a desire for a big birthday party, that was not going to happen with the pandemic going on. But it's late twenty nineteen, and I just wanted to memorialize this time and do something special. And I thought, well, there are like bucket lists of forty before forty things to do, adventures to have, and that all sounded fun. But I thought, what about forty small acts of kindness things that we could do within our community, within our families, would just help brighten someone's day. And so I put together list, took a few months sort of iterating on it, and put together list with a few categories of acts of kindness to do, and over the course of the next you know, six months or so, I knocked out almost all the list and it was a lot of fun. The categories included things like goods and money, you know, giving goods in money, respect and encouragement, time and talent, earth and environment, and then within the family, intra family acts of kindness, so a few of my favorite ones. I was shocked to learn that in the community that we live in in northern Virginia, which seems quite economically comfortable, there's still a remarkably high percentage of kids in schools who face food insecurity. They may get free lunch school, but when they go home, those cabinets are empty. And it turns out that within our community, there is a program where you can drop off shelf stable foods at elementary schools and they will very sort of covertly, quietly so as not to embarrass the kids, put food into kids' backpacks that they can take home so that there is you know, there's an actual dinner on the table. And so one of the forty acts of kindness was I went and bought several hundred pounds of rice and several hundred pounds of dried beans, and like raid down the car it was kind of sagging in the back, but took them to one of the local elementary schools and dropped them off so that they would have their pantry full, so that all of these kids could go home and have meals, particularly over the weekends. That was so much fun. And I think that there's some value in really doing like physical acts yourself. I think you feel more involved in the process of helping. I also like to cut checks for things as well, but there was something about the very physical nature of that that I found inspiring.
Speaker 1: And then maybe you can talk about one that's a bit more person to person that you did something encouraging somebody.
Speaker 2: Yes, I actually I've received some books over the years from folks where they said I loved this and you may really value it, and I thought, I want to do that for someone too, So I decided to choose five books that I have found to be sort of life changing or transformative and to give them to friends with a little note saying why I thought that they may find it valuable. And in fact, one of those books was one hundred and sixty eight Hours that You Have More Time Than You Think, by a certain Laura Vandercamp. I have found it really inspirational. Back in my sort of earlier parenting lawyering journey, when I was just starting off with thinking about like how to make this better richer life, I actually gave it to I think two or three friends.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Well, I'm glad to hear that I did not ask Kathleen to say that. I'm very excited to do. That's wonderful. So if somebody else was going to undertake a project like this doing you know a large number of random acts of kindness, I wonder if there was something you learned along the way or some advice you'd give to them to make it a more effective project.
Speaker 2: I think setting out in advance the sort of general categories that you want these acts to be in, or general groups that you want to help can help structure the thinking and can help sort of spur on creativity. And then also just ask thoughtful people in your life. You know, hey, how do you think I could help with local animals or whatever it is your priority is. And sometimes you can actually get pretty insightful, thoughtful ideas from others, but you need to give them a prompt, not just what can I do that's nice? You have to say, I want to help the local poor, how can I do that? What do you think? So? Yeah, structure a little bit, and then just seek inspiration from others who your respect.
Speaker 1: Awesome We're going to take one more quick ad break and then we'll be back to learn about Kathleen's current time management challenges. Well, we are back. This is one of the longer Before Breakfast episodes. I am interviewing Kathleen Paley, who is a lawyer, mother, volunteer, podcaster, many different hats, and she talked about a project she did of doing forty acts of kindness before turning forty. So, Kathleen, I wonder if you could talk about sort of your biggest time management challenge right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my biggest time management challenge is that I am a sucker for adding projects to my life and I did recently start doing a podcast. So it's how to work work in more while not feeling harried. And one of the ways I've I've been able to do this is to just look for what are the low value pockets of time that I'm not It's not wasting, but maybe not using optimally. And you know, we started this episode talking about those Mondays and Fridays from home where there's a big chunk of time several hours in the morning. I've started to leverage that time to do more work. It's not necessarily the podcast work, but sort of shift more more things into those timeframes that I might otherwise do. At another point, I'm sort of using the tiles or the pieces of time, moving them around the way you've talked about so much in your work. So you know, by adding more, I've I've made myself be creative about looking at where the low value time is being spent and seeing where I can you know, eliminate eliminate that waste. And so you know, I'm using my Mondays and Fridays better and using little pockets of time on the weekends when I might have otherwise been kind of scrolling or just puttering around the house, carving out half an hour here an hour there to move the tiles around and be able to do the volunteer work and the podcast stuff and the mom's stuff and you know all those billable hours. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So what's one of your volunteer gigs right now? That is a project you've taken on but is adding meaning to your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So for the last oh, I think we're on year five now, I've found a commissioner on our city's Economic Development Authority, did a two year stint as the chair and then timed out under our bylaws, so I'm back to not charing meetings anymore. But we work on helping small businesses, both retail and you know, sort of more traditional accounting firms and such, but helping small businesses in the city thrive through a variety of programs and you know, support systems, and so doing that work is really exciting because over time you do start to see a change in your community. The five year mark, I'm now seeing projects that we started years ago really bear fruit. And it's incredibly exciting when you walk around your community and you say we had a role in that we helped with that this place is better because of something that we did. And so it's all you know, we have staff and we have a bunch of volunteers and they work together beautifully to make the place that we live more vibrant awesome.
Speaker 1: So, Kathleen, what is something you have done this week to take a day from great to awesome?
Speaker 2: Yes? So I have recently, so this week ish, I have rediscovered my love of the library. I had thought, oh, I like audiobooks, but somehow that childhood or young adulthood love of like reading the written word on a page had somehow faded. And I realized it wasn't that it faded, I just didn't have anything I wanted to read. And so recently I've been going to the library, so rediscovering the library, but then taking it up a notch in the last couple of weeks by using my Tuesday, Wednesday Thursday commute time on the Metro to read a paper book. So now I'm getting an hour each day, three days a week reading a book in peace. You know, there's jump, you know, clutter going on around you, there's movement going on around you. But by just shifting that metro time and not doing like an audiobook, but actually reading on paper, I'm getting that great satisfaction of you know, reading something on paper and the turn of the page again, that physical act, the holding the book, There's something special about it. And so the great to awesome is getting back into reading and finding time to do it. That isn't taking away from anything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and since you're leaving early enough on those days, you're probably getting a seat. I would imagine it's slightly harder to read if you're holding onto a pool, like flipping back and forth between the pages.
Speaker 2: Correct. Yes, yes, in the afternoon it is pretty crowded, and I'm flipping the pages while like wrapping an arm around the pole. But in the morning, it's it's a seat. It's beautiful to see.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful. That's so funny. I have memories many, many years ago. I had a year long internship that I lived in the Greater Washington, DC area, and I had a fairly long commute and I wound up reading I'm going to say it around with Anna Karinina Tolstoi's novel on the Metro twenty minutes a day. You know, you get through it over the course of a month or two. It was a good read, you know, past the time. So I hope you're enjoying your reading in the morning as well. Do you have a particular life hack or strategy you want to share with our listeners. I always love to ask people if there's something really cool that you've been trying that's made life more efficient that you could share with us.
Speaker 2: Well, one thing we've been doing recently is whenever there's a situation where someone's going to give us a gift, like holidays, you know those are coming up, you know, anniversaries, things like that, we've been saying, can you just give us a gift card to a restaurant. It's because one, I'm trying to just spend less money eating out and be more efficient in that way. And two we want to do that. We're also big foodies, so I don't want clutter at home. I don't want physical stuff more physical stuff at home, but I do want to go explore new restaurants and try new foods. So just letting the folks in your life no like restaurant gift cards, please, that is a very welcome gift. Has been super in terms of now we get more experiences that we like and we don't have another vase sitting around that's just going to gather dust exactly.
Speaker 1: With a little extra tip for our listeners that you need to make sure you use the gift cards then, so when it comes in, make sure you've got a reservation and a date on the calendar, because otherwise those become clutter in a different way.
Speaker 2: They do, you know, Laura, Actually my kids have accumulated gift cards from birthday gifts over time, although I do swear the thirteen year old boys just circulate the same Amazon gift card back and forth, but they've accumulated a bunch of gift cards, and I took a page from your playbook and told my youngest we're having a gift card day. We're going to use up all of your gift cards. So we went to Dick's Sporting Goods, we went to a local bookstore. We didn't Amazon on order, and he was like, oh, that was actually a lot of fun. Like, yes, buddy, and now you have stuff you want and I don't have a drawer full of your gift cards.
Speaker 1: Exactly, exactly awesome. Well, Kathleen, this has been great. Can you tell our listeners where they can find you?
Speaker 2: Yes, I like I mentioned a couple of times. They now have a podcast. It's the Minimalish Mom podcast. If you have any interest in listening, it's on Apple Podcasts and Spotify. You can also reach out on Instagram It's minimalish Mom. I mean, the podcast name came from the fact that I've had that handle since like twenty fifteen or something, so it was just the easiest way to name things. But I would love to connect to folks who share an interest in, you know, using our time and resources better. I think it's a lot of fun, so please reach out.
Speaker 1: Well, we have a lot of people listening to this podcast who want to use their time and resources better. So Kathleen, thank you so much for joining us, and thanks to everyone who has been listening. I would love your feedback about this interview series, particularly if you decide to adopt Kathleen's project of doing random acts of kindness. I would love to hear about that. You can reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com and in the meantime.
Speaker 2: This is Laura.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening, and here's to making the most of our time. Thanks for listening to Before Breakfast. If you've got questions, ideas, or feedback, you can reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. Before Breakfast is a production of iHeartMedia. For more podcasts from iHeartMedia, please visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.