Speaker 1: It's Meat Eater Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer Newhart, and today we're joined by Giannis, Mark Kenyan, Justin Gaechee, Mark Heey, Josh Smith, Patrick Hanley, Luke Cadillo, Scotti Lego, and Troy Hellman. This is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat eaters for verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing. Now, Yanni, we got a lot of guests in town today. Tell us what you guys have been up to.
Speaker 3: We just spent at least half of us here at this table spent two days competing at the sig ARC event, which stands for Archery Rifle Competition. The gist of it is that in the course of two days and one evening we shot sixteen different stages and no two were the same. Give me an example or two lots of pistols, lots of rifles, lots of bone arrow shots, archery shots. An example would be this is a favorite of ours both actually stages that they were in the same location, but they changed over two days. It was the top of a hill mountain kind of thing, and day one you laid down your rifle. You had one shot and you had to choose between a two hundred, four hundred and a six hundred yard target and they were small eight by tens I think steel plates, and the two hundred had a value and then the four hundred had a medium value, six hundred had a high value. You would shoot to get your next round, you had to run, sprint whatever you want, a new walk one hundred yards to a bucket, grab around and come back, lay down and put it in. So very biathlon kind of feel to that one.
Speaker 2: That was your favorite event.
Speaker 3: It was one that, yeah, it was fun because it sort of it seemed like, you know, there's a lot of different things that you're sort of trying to work into it. The same zone had one where they had roughly fifteen steel plates set up. You had to shoot them all with your pistol. The last play it was two hundred yards away and you could shoot it at whatever distance you wanted with a pistol. So most folks ran down there shot it at close range and then ran all the way back and these were relays. That one was a relay, so once you got back, the next person on your three person team would start.
Speaker 4: It was cool.
Speaker 3: The winner, the winning team got to choose a nonprofit where SIG donated. Sig donated fifty thousand dollars to WHOA. Yeah, can we.
Speaker 2: Talk about the results? Is that something that?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, how Team meat Eater do?
Speaker 4: Team meter landed perfectly average?
Speaker 3: We were four out of seven, which very happy with especially we had a little bit of a handicap. Cal's not here to the same thing about it. Cal shot is trad bow. He's the only trad bow shooter and it definitely costs us. And we were just not even touching foam on a lot of archery shots. But no, overall, I felt like we had a versatile, middle of the road team and that's right where we landed. Okay, Patrick, probably speak to the winning team, Yeah, Patrick.
Speaker 2: Troy, you guys were a big part of making this event happen. Did everything go is planned? Is there going to be a second annual?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: This competition this was pretty much exactly how we envisioned it. It was kind of unique, in the way that we did an event a couple of years ago called the Hunter Games that was mostly rifle based. The concept behind this was to utilize more of the things that we do well, like rangefinders and buy No's, and have it be all aspects of shooting. So we had rifle, handgun, we had archery. It mixed a lot of it. But what it did that was super cool that we saw was when we did the last two day event of Hunter Games, people will get really good on the second day, and with this, the second day was a totally different ballgame. They were carrying their bows instead of their rifle. Everything was different, so it made it super super cool. And actually Troy's team that he was managing ended up being the ones that ended up winning the whole thing.
Speaker 2: And yeah, yeah, really set up the competition and won the competition.
Speaker 8: I set up the archery stages.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, he did, which was.
Speaker 8: About twenty five percent of the overall filed competition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if we can let that happen, I'd like if I played trivia today with you guys.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, yeah, No.
Speaker 9: We had a we had a killer team Cody Alfred, Kurt Gamache, and Mike Kern. These guys are all studs, and I think speed killed on this one, and those guys had speed and spades. So great cause to UH. Defenders of Freedom helps veterans address and treat TBIs. Cody himself has been through the program and has seen the benefit of it, and so it was cool to watch those guys win and put money towards a good cause.
Speaker 2: Fifty dollars going their way via SIG. I know, Justin, Luke, mar Scotty, You're are athletes in the room and at the competition. Justin and Luke in mixed martial arts, Mark and surfing, Scotty and snowboarding. You guys think you can go pro and shooting after this week? Could you pull it off?
Speaker 1: That's the hell?
Speaker 5: No, No, he would take a lot of commitment. I hadn't shot. I probably did three rounds through a rifle before this last week. So Trevor Thompson, who's on our team from Protect, he's very, very, very competent and experienced. So I did two mornings in Salt Lake with him beforehand. But uh, yeah, it's a long road for me.
Speaker 2: Okay, Justin pro and shooting, could you do it?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 6: I don't know, definitely definitely not archery. I was definitely on point yesterday with the pistols. I love shooting rifles. But yeah, like Patrick was talking about, the whole experience was just you know, awesome because it challenged you in so many different ways. You know, the relays had you know, there's a lot of strategy that would involved. You really need to know your teammates to know their abilities and then go from there. But yeah, we took sixth, so I thought we did good. But man, there was some shooters out there. So seeing as we took six I don't think me or Luke will pass for professionals.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think what points to the success. And a great sentiment that I heard throughout the camp we were all camped hanging out together in wall tents, was that everybody felt like after they shot a stage, they'd be like, oh, can we do that again? Like just for fun. That was two days of just pure fun with projectiles.
Speaker 6: Yeah, my favorite stage was the infrared at night. We had two stages set up at night. The first night we used some flashlights on our pistols. One pistol, two RSP had to clear I think twenty targets and then he walked up a hill and used the infrared site and there was three targets he had or three or five five five targets out there and you had to go through and look through the finals with your for red you know optic. It was awesome.
Speaker 9: Yeah, there's steel targets and we were using Pete was up there with a blow torch heating them up. We were running thermals and it was That was a cool stage. I think I think a lot of people came into that stage thinking they were going to crash it at my team being one of them, and we did not run super well on that stage. And then I think teams that came into it feeling a little shaky cleaned house pretty quick.
Speaker 2: I saw some social clips, but winning, Where can I watch this whole thing throlling out now?
Speaker 9: Like I think the beauty of this is it's like a mixing pot. Like Josh's company Montana Knife. They've been cranking stuff out. We're cranking stuff out on the sig Hunting Instagram, meat eaters cranking it out like everybody. It's it's going to be in your feed hard for the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 11: The other thing on our team, I was super proud of is we had the only women on our team in the whole competition, Tulsi Gabbard, which was pretty cool, and we and we still finished second, which uh. We had Bo Nickel who had never really shot pistol before UFC Fighter as well. But I did think it was really cool having a couple of people that well, having a woman on our team and somebody kind of knew her to that stuff, and even myself not that experience, but we worked pretty pretty well together as a team. But Tulsi, uh, you know, she's on her book tour and she's in the running for VP and all that stuff, and to come off of that and just step in with a bunch of men and beat and you know, frankly, our team beat a lot of very capable men, which was pretty cool to do that. And she she she had never shot bo. Uh, well, she had shot once or twice. She had gotten a bow from from Cam Haynes, so we were literally citing her bow in the morning of the archery part, and uh, she still got arrows and foam even in those steel targets. I think she only hit three of the steel out of the what six yet. Yeah, so that's that's pretty good. So the way Sig did that, and and also the piece of property that was on the landowners allowing with with the litigious society that we live in, a property owner allowing a bunch of people to come up and shoot guns for two straight days is very cool that there's still people out there to to let that happen.
Speaker 7: And Yeah, and they came over and had dinner with us.
Speaker 11: Yeah, he told he told like Lewis and Clark's story and an older couple, he told a story and he was as happier than could be that that we were all out there, which was cool.
Speaker 2: Now, Josh, I've heard Steve talking about a knife that you and him have been working on together, but he's been very light on details.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, when this podcast comes out will be a week away from that collab dropping. What can you tell us about it?
Speaker 11: Yeah, Uh, it's something that Steve and I have been working on for a while. Super excited about it. We have we have a few knives coming throughout the rest of this year together, actually, but this first one is called the Stubhorn kind of name named after a bison, and it's a hunting knife kind of a cool, cool looking hunting knife that Steve and I went back and forth on. What was cool about the process is really just allowing Steve to tell me what he wanted a knife, and I kept, you know, doing different drawings and we kept kicking models back and forth and getting it exactly how he wanted. So we have that coming and then we have a different knife we'll talk about probably later called the flat Tail that'll be coming later on. So after a beaver a beaver trapping. So yeah, that's been a really cool experience to work with Steve and he's he's so knowledgeable. It's I've actually learned a lot from him.
Speaker 2: And he tells you that he is. Now that first knife he talked about comes out June twenty seven, so about a week after this episode air is mar Kenyon. You're just in town for fun, So welcome to the studio.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 10: And I actually got one of those knives, and that's probably my favorite knife you guys made yet and I have four or five really nice.
Speaker 11: Yeah, thank you, Yeah, well thanks to Steve. So yeah, it's been that's been cool. We're we're really excited about it, and we're really excited about There's some stuff coming not just for the field, but also for the kitchen later on this year, so a lot of stuff coming.
Speaker 9: Ye.
Speaker 2: All right, we don't have any stats I f a q's or housekeeping today, so we can get right to the trivia. The Shelby index for this round is a four, so our winner should get eight correct answers, and with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, Look, I need to know what I should underperience actually just tend to win everything game. On Suckers. Question one, the topic is hunting in This will be multiple choice. Which of these countries does not have oscillated turkeys? Is it believe, United States, Guatemala or Mexico? Is his question one of ten. This will be your only multiple choice question today. Which of these countries does not have oscillated turkeys? Belize, United States, Guatemala, or Mexico. Three of those countries have an oscillated turkey. One of them does not. Yanni, very confident over here, Yanni, you have this one right.
Speaker 8: I do.
Speaker 2: I don't know what one is either. Okay, it's gonna be tough for the handful of you who don't know what an oscillated turkey is which of those countries does not have one? Belize, United States, Guatemala or Mexico. Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have justin saying Belize, Marcus saying Usa. Yanni says Usa, Josh Belize, Patrick Ease Troy, United States, Scottie Belize, Luke Guatemala, he Lee Usa. The correct answer is the United States. About half of you got that one.
Speaker 11: I erased it and changed it to go with your.
Speaker 2: Oscillated turkeys are primarily found on the Yucatan Peninsula. Because of their peacock like colors, The National Audubon Society describes them as a technic color turkey. The American Bird Conservancy estimates their population is between twenty thousand and fifty thousand. Does that answer your question justin about an oscillated turkey, their very bright, vibrant turkey. Yanni, how would you describe one? Have you seen one before?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I have in Guatemala.
Speaker 3: Actually we went to look at some ruins, and uh I was just as interested in those turkeys as the uh well, I remember most about that tour. As you're walking around these they.
Speaker 4: Call them, it's not a pyramid. What do they call it?
Speaker 3: Just like a it's not a pyramid, but it has the same shape as a pyramid. But anyways, like every other stop, the guides like, and that's where they sacrifice people, and then over here they sacrifice the kids, and then over here they sacrificed the neighboring tribe.
Speaker 4: And then when you lost a soccer game, that's where.
Speaker 3: They beheaded you. There's a lot of that. But anyways, yeah, they were down there. It's like a turkey and a peacock made a baby.
Speaker 2: Did you see them or did you hear them?
Speaker 8: You saw them?
Speaker 2: Did you hear them too? Were they like just as vocal as.
Speaker 4: Turkeys you're familiar with.
Speaker 3: We did not hear them, and as far as I understand, they don't make the noises like our turkeys.
Speaker 2: Question two. The topic is wildlife. This man spent one hundred and seventy nine episodes working filthy careers such as roadkill collector, beaver relocator, deer year in, farmer, crab fisherman, taxidermist, and more. This is question two. This man spent one hundred and seventy nine episodes working filthy careers such as roadkill collector, beaver, relocator, deer, you're in farmer, crab, fisherman, taxidermist, and more. So your answer will be the name of this person. Just just let a first name slip, not going to confirm if it was right or.
Speaker 4: Not, just writing him down.
Speaker 2: To Joannie looks confident again, Josh, do you have this one right? Okay? Josh thinks he has this one? Troy, do you have this one? Half the rooms confident? Heale is now just.
Speaker 8: Today.
Speaker 11: That's pretty much was my goal.
Speaker 2: This man spent one hundred and seventy nine episodes working filthy careers such as roadkill collector, beaver, relocator, deer, you're in farmer, crab, fisherman, taxidermist, and more. It is a really.
Speaker 10: Unique form of misery when you know you know the answer to one of these but just won't come to your head.
Speaker 2: Is that you right now? Can we just do it?
Speaker 5: Last name?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Last name you know, yeah, jeopardy, jeopardy.
Speaker 4: I don't want to show.
Speaker 2: First name is not good enough. Last name would be good enough. Oh yeah, man, I have I think I got it.
Speaker 8: I think I got it?
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready, Scotty? Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have the highlight saying Mike, Mark Kenyon saying Micro, Giannis, Mike Row, Josh Micro, Patrick Micro Dirty Jobs, Troy Micro Scotty says dirty jobs with Micro, Joe says Jojo says dirty jobs Guy Micro. The room did very well. The correct answer is Micro. Dirty Jobs ran for eight seasons on the Discovery Channel from two thousand and five to twenty twelve, and each episode, Micro would shadow a worker from a trade that was often filthy, difficult, and dangerous. In a twenty nineteen interview, Roe said that the five worst jobs he ever worked were sewer inspector, snake biologist, cowen seminator, concrete chipper, and shark suit tester. Who's Jojo? Question three? The topic is gear. This next great question is via Jane Henson. What does the AR in AR fifteen stand for? Oh God? What does the AR in AR fifteen stand for?
Speaker 7: Wow?
Speaker 2: A lot of folks shooting guns this week in the room. We'll see if they know what the AR stands for in AR fifteen. Yanni, how we feel about your answer?
Speaker 3: Man, I'm just gonna go with the gut. Whatever popped in there, I don't it's I know. I know someone has. We've discussed this okay on the podcast, but yeah, I feel bad for not knowing.
Speaker 2: What same What does the AR stand?
Speaker 11: I think I have the first part?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, if I worked for a firearm company, I didn't know this one. Man.
Speaker 4: I feel really.
Speaker 2: There is everybody ready not a very confident room, and this could be a zero percenter. What does the AR in AR fifteen stand for? Marcus? You have this one?
Speaker 4: Ah?
Speaker 10: Kind of like Yanni, I had like a first gun word that popped up my mind, so I went with that. But I would say I'm forty percent.
Speaker 2: Think we're waiting on our sig boys down there. You guys ready think I'm good? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have justin saying ArmaLite, Mark, ArmaLite, Giannis American Rifle. Josh, what's that say, Josh armament?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I don't have, Patrick says ArmaLite Research, Troy ArmaLite Rifle, Scottie Assault Rifle, Luke Assault rifle, he Lee automatic rifle.
Speaker 2: The correct answer is ArmaLite. About half of you got that right. ArmaLite is the manufacturer who created the AR fifteen platform for civilians in the nineteen fifties. Because ars so often get mislabeled as assault rifles or automatic rifles, the industry has tried migrating to the acronym MSR, which stands for Modern Sporting Rifle. Question for the topic is cooking. This Next great question is via Corey Mullhair. What animal part is used to make fogg raw that is spelled f o i E space g r a s. What animal part is used to make foie gras?
Speaker 4: You like eating foa grass?
Speaker 2: Spencer, I've I've never had foi gras?
Speaker 4: You Yeah?
Speaker 2: Do you like it?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I had.
Speaker 6: I've had it a couple of different ways. I had it cold like a paste, and it was the most disgusting thing.
Speaker 2: Next, give up any hints you'd like to beat these boys?
Speaker 4: Right, It's okay, I'm just reminded. I'm just reminding.
Speaker 6: But the second time I had it, he cooked it on a flat top.
Speaker 2: Yeap like, and you liked it?
Speaker 6: It was so good?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: I feel like you're you're the type of person who likes unie love. Yeah, if you like Norrow about eighty percent?
Speaker 2: Yoanni give us here for foie gras review.
Speaker 3: It's extremely rich, becau, It's not something that I feel like if you ate it every day, you'd probably get you get over it real quick. But it's like a New Year I think we always used to serve it at New Year's on a on a pre fab menu, you know, at the restaurant we do a fancy foi gras dish usually.
Speaker 2: Did Yanni and Justin's banter help anybody?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I was gonna say the two bits they laid out made me more confident.
Speaker 2: Okay, is everybody ready?
Speaker 8: Good?
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Justin saying duck liver, Mark says liver, Yanni liver, Josh Brain, Patrick Liver, Troy Goose liver, Scottie liver, Luke tongue, Healey liver. The correct answer is liver, duck liver. The room did very well. Foi gras translates to fat liver in French. It's a gourmet meal that's achieved by force feeding ducks and geese from a young age. The contentious dish has been banned in over a dozen countries, as well as California. To create your own appetizer that contains all the fanciness of foie gras with none of the controversy. Check out Steve's recipe on the medeater dot com called wild game Pete.
Speaker 11: Obviously, Luke and I don't need expensive restaurants, Joanna.
Speaker 2: Your restaurant served foe gras well.
Speaker 4: I mean I've worked a lot of restaurants.
Speaker 2: Huh, but you worked at one that served foi gras.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, Like I said, it would be a New Year's Eve on the pre fee menu.
Speaker 2: Here's question five. The topic is wildlife. This The next great question is via Vince Maniaki. This is the largest member of the dolphin family and Washington State Marine mammal. This is question five. We'll get a scoreboard update from Philly Engineer after this. This is the largest member of the dolphin family and Washington State Marine mammal. Healey very confident over here. Do you have this one right?
Speaker 5: And the potentially do there's actually it's actually a little dicey because there's these really weird ass dolphins that I that I know get very large. Okay, I haven't seen scale in between the one that I picked.
Speaker 2: In this is it also Washington's state Marine mammal. That's your other part of the question that you need to fulfill that doesn't help. This is the largest member of the dolphin family in Washington's state marine mammal. Room is pretty stumped.
Speaker 4: Clipper.
Speaker 7: That might be more of a statement justin like there is no answer.
Speaker 2: I like that. It's everybody ready, handful of folks with blank boards. Still, you're gonna come up with an answer. Soon as Scotti is done writing, we will reveal the answers. Go ahead and reveal all your answers. We have the highlight without an answer. Marcus says orca, Yanni orca. Josh says bottlenose, Patrick porpoise, Troy back whale. Scottie me not know, Luke what to say, Luke shark shark says orca. The correct answer is orca or killer whales.
Speaker 4: About half.
Speaker 2: Have you got that right? Scientifically, all dolphins are whales, but not all whales are dolphins. Dolphins are a type of toothed whale, with the other four families being narwhals and belugas, sperm whales, beaked whales, and porpoises. The orca became Washington's official state marine mammal in two thousand and five, with through other state mammal being the marmot phil We're halfway through the game of trivia, give us a scoreboard updated.
Speaker 13: We've got Luke, who's yet to make an impression on the board.
Speaker 2: I'm just here to make Jock feel better.
Speaker 8: And that's that's important.
Speaker 13: Josh, you've got one point, Scotty and Justin have two, Patrick has three, and all with four points have got Mark hely Giannis and Troy and Troy. My heart broke for you when I saw you watched you change your answer from RCA to sort of something else because if you had not done that, you would be tied with Mark Kenyon with a perfect game.
Speaker 8: Mark's got five points.
Speaker 4: The perfect should kick him out of here.
Speaker 2: D'mon participate in the sick event your episode. Question six. The topic is cooking. What's the Spanish word for red that's often used in Mexican cuisine?
Speaker 11: Point, Justin's been calling him a Canadian all weekend watch?
Speaker 2: What's your point, Justin?
Speaker 6: He's not Mexican.
Speaker 1: He was born in Nebraska. But he's kid you.
Speaker 2: Okay again, this is question six. The topic is cooking. What's the Spanish word for that's often used in Mexican cuisine.
Speaker 6: I might not even get this right, but.
Speaker 5: You gotta spell it right too, right spelling.
Speaker 2: Spelling is not mad now, Luke said, he's only here to make Justin feel better? Justin? Is he making you feel better? Okay, that's why this job well done. Does everyone have an answer for the Spanish word for red that's used in Mexican cuisine, Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have the highlight saying ro hoo, Mark, ro hoo, Yanni, ro josh. We have the rest of the room saying ro ho. They got it. The correct answer is roja or ro hoo on the board. In Spanish, oha means red, and some things that you would order roja versus verde or Anchilada's, Tamali's salsa, moley sauce, and peppi and sauce. Typically, foods that are ordered roha are hotter and earthier tasting, while verde are milder and fresher tasting. Question seven. The topic is fishing. Name one of the two state capitals where you could fish the Mississippi River. Don't tell me the state and need you to tell me the capital of that state. Name one of the two state capitals where you could fish in the Mississippi River. The room is stumped mark perfect game on the line. He has yet to put marker to whiteboard. Geographic name one of the two state capitals we're about the Mississippi River, one of the two, one of the two. You have two options. You just need to name one of them. If you put down two, you're gonna get it wrong. Just put down one of the state capitals. And again, we're looking for the capitol, not the state.
Speaker 11: It's one of the first times I've answered on my board. I don't think it's a dumb guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, like it's educated.
Speaker 11: And with a look on Luke's face, I'm pretty sure Luke's Luke's trying to think of Luke's trying to think of a capital.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he just wants the capital.
Speaker 7: If anybody could give him a capital.
Speaker 8: Capital, I don't know if it's on the Mississippi.
Speaker 2: This is question seven. Named one of the two state capitals where you could fish in the Mississippi River. Yanni, you're gonna write down an answer? Yeah, okay, I think you have to run out of time.
Speaker 5: Oh, this is high stakes for you. You get this wrong, it's gonna be hard to come back.
Speaker 4: Well, I.
Speaker 2: Gets is question seven a lot of pressure on Mark, who could get the perfect game?
Speaker 1: Mark?
Speaker 2: Do you have an answer down? Is it for sure a state capital?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 2: No, okay, I.
Speaker 10: Can't remember the state.
Speaker 2: The line is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have the highlights saying New Orleans, Marcus says Fargo, Yanni, Devenport, Josh Jackson, Patrick Jackson, Troy, Baton Rouge, Scottie, New Orleans, Luke without an answer, he Lee Memphis. We have a correct answer in the room. It's Saint Paul, Minnesota and Baton Rouge Troy. Other major cities on the Mississippi River include Minneapolis, Saint Louis, Memphis, Devenport, Lacrosse, and New Orleans Memphis Memphis, but it's not their state capital. There are one hundred and twenty three counties bordering the river that are home to twenty million people. It's estimated that twenty five percent of all fish species in North America live in that stretch of water. Here's question eight. The topic is hunting. This beer brand, which is brewed in Shiner, Texas, features a big horn sheep on its label. This beer brand, which is brewed in Shiner, Texas, features a big horn sheep on its label. We only had Troy get that last one right. That's going to make the leaderboard interesting. We will get an update from Phil after this question.
Speaker 10: And you did say spelling does not matter.
Speaker 2: Spelling does not matter. That's right. This beer brand, which is brewed in Shiner, Texas, features a big horn sheep on its label. Yanni, did you craft one of these after killing your big horn sheep?
Speaker 4: I did not, but I have had a few of these in my day.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's everybody ready, Scott, are you ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have the highlights saying shiner Bach, Mark and Yanni and Josh saying Shiner back. Patrick says Shiner, Troy says shiner Bach. Scotty says bud Light, Luke lone Star. Healey says Shiner. The correct answer is shiner Bach. Are we going to give it to Patrick and Heally for just writing like Shiner? Okay, the room is nodding. If you said Shiner, you get that one right? The correct He's over there, shiner Bach.
Speaker 13: Did anyone else society? Heally and Patrick say just Shiner. Just just those two.
Speaker 2: I think, just those two. In German The word bach means billy, goat or ram, which is how the beer got its name and label Back Beers R a true additional German dark lagger that baked date back to medieval times. Bock flavor is described as rich in malt taste, with hops to balance out the sweetness and a punche aroma of baked bread. Phil we have two questions left. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 13: Luke, Josh, Scotty, and Justin are all out of the running for the win, but we've got Patrick with five points. Jannist and Heally have six, and tied up in first place are Troy and Mark Kenyon with seven points.
Speaker 2: Two questions.
Speaker 4: Anybody's game Boys?
Speaker 2: Anybody's question nine? The topic is gear. This Utah Jazz Hall of Famer is a board member for the NRA. Got it unscrewed? Patrick has this right. Josh also appears to be very confident. The rest of the room not so much. This Utah Jazz Hall of Famer is a board member for the NRA. This is question nine, Yanni, how many jazz players do you think you can name?
Speaker 8: Name?
Speaker 4: Quite a few, Okay, for sure, you.
Speaker 2: Think you know which one who's a Hall of Famer and a board member for the.
Speaker 8: N r A.
Speaker 4: I've got it. Yeah, I've got a good guess.
Speaker 3: I know he's a Hall of Famer and I'm pretty sure that he did some hot.
Speaker 2: Okay, the jazzy.
Speaker 7: He's put Michael Jordan for sure.
Speaker 2: Mark Kenyon, do you have this one right?
Speaker 10: I feel decent about it.
Speaker 2: This Utah Jazz Hall of Famer is a board member for the n r A. Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have the highlight, and Mark and Yanni and Josh and Patrick saying Carl Malone. Troy says his running mate, John Stockton. Scottie says Carl Malone. Luke says carlow m the Mailman.
Speaker 4: Mailman was his nickname.
Speaker 2: Give it, let's give it to he says Magic Johnson. The correct answer is Carl Malone the Mailmanlon played eighteen seasons for the Jazz and his third all time on the NBA scoring list in the In a twenty twelve NRAD he was quoted saying the only thing he'd rather do than play basketball is hunt. All Their celebrity board members include Ted Nugent, Tom Selik. Now Here's a review of the correct answers for our listeners at home before we do question ten. Number one was United States two, Mike Row three, ArmaLite, four, Liver, five Orca six, Roja, seven, Saint Paul, or Baton Rouge, eight Schinerbach and nine Karl malone. Phil give us a scoreboard update before we do the final question.
Speaker 8: It's down to three players now.
Speaker 13: Mark Kenyon's still in the league with eight points, but we've got Troy and Giannis with seven.
Speaker 4: If Mark slips.
Speaker 2: Up, Here's question ten. This is our listener question into the Week, which was won by Chris Bryant for sending this great question. Chris is going to get a board game signed by the crew. If you want a chance to win our listener question of the Week, then send your question to Trivia at the medeater dot com. The topic is wildlife. Northern shrike and loggerhead shrike, which are known for skewering prey on barbed wire, go by this eleven letter nickname. What what geez? Northern shrike and the loggerhead shrike, which are known for skewering prey on barbed wire, go by this eleven letter nickname. The room appears to be stumped. It's maybe a flat ending.
Speaker 10: I know I have seen video of this happen.
Speaker 2: Okay, I can picture it. Needs you to come up with their eleven letter nickname. These two types of shrike, which are known for skewers.
Speaker 4: Starting long words barbed by this.
Speaker 2: Eleven letter nickname. This is a final question. Who's left in the game. We have Mark in the lead.
Speaker 13: Mark with eight and Giannis and Troy with seven.
Speaker 1: I like the phone a friend.
Speaker 2: Who would you call.
Speaker 1: Exactly one person?
Speaker 4: She doesn't know this. She can google.
Speaker 2: Looking for the eleven letter nickname for northern shrike and loggerhead shrike, which are known for skewering prey on barbed wire. Really like a three way tie here. If Mark could just get this wrong? Mark, do you have eleven letters?
Speaker 9: I have?
Speaker 10: My best guest came in at tense and I got everything.
Speaker 2: You know? Eleven letters, eleven letter nick name. Yanni, you have a chance. Do you have a good guess? No?
Speaker 4: No, I'm making up.
Speaker 2: Does anybody feel good about their answer in here? I'm just proud that I made something up.
Speaker 4: Can you tell us if it's a one word or two words?
Speaker 2: One word? It's one word. I'm not m if.
Speaker 10: I don't know if I got the spelling right, but if the spelling is right, I now have an eleven letter word that kind of makes sense.
Speaker 2: Okay, is everybody ready? We'll give you a little more time, right, But it's good since the stakes or so doesn't need to be ready, it needs to be good. That's right. Northern shrike and loggerhead shrike, which you're known for skewering prey on barbed wire. Go buy this eleven letter nickname.
Speaker 7: I did too, and I don't even know if I spelled it, but it's.
Speaker 2: A good start. Troy, how about you? Do you have a chance at this one? No, it's everybody ready, Yanni. Do you give up yet? You run out of the sixty seconds that you requested, Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have the highlight saying zero chance. Marcus saying shish kebab, Giannis says jet fighter, Josh says knife shrike, Patrick says terodactyl, Troy says man bear, Pilly Scotty says this screamer. Luke says, I give up. Healey says penetrators. The correct answer is butcher bird. They are a butcher bird. It is one word. That's what the Audubon Society and American Bird Conservancy they do one word for butcher bird. Another nickname for these birds is the thorn bird. These pint sized predators are famous for killing other birds, insects, reptiles, and small mammals, then saving that food for later by spiking them to fences and plants. These food caches are known pantries, which butcher birds will access when there is a prey shortage. Mark Kenyon is our winner with eight correct answers. Well done, Mark, Thank you, Thank you Mark. What happens next is you get to choose where the five hundred dollars donation from meat Eater goes. What's it going to be?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 10: Well, it's a little bittersweet winning. Finally, when Steven Brody cal aarn here, but I will take my first w and I host our Whitetail podcast, I have to give it to the Whitetail Org, the National Dear Association.
Speaker 2: NDA five hundred dollars from Mark Kenyon going there, sig Fellas, thanks for joining us. There's gonna be a second annual art competition. Is that the plan?
Speaker 8: That's the plan?
Speaker 2: Okay? And winning? Where can folks, watch what just happened here. It's everywhere right now on Instagram, YouTube, six hour Meat Eater, yep, et cetera, yep. Okay. They'll be back next year for more shooting, maybe some more trivia. Join us next time for more Meat Eater trivia. The only competition, the only game show where conservation always wins.
Speaker 1: Yes, Spencer from South Dakota. He's the host, using those smooth, mellow tones. He lays them questions down, and he likes taking those two and three year old bucks. And he's an avid amateur rock house