Speaker 1: It's type for another episode of Patch from the Past podcast. Matt Smith, along with Paul Barlow please to be joined by number twenty eight. Can you believe that number twenty eight? It is great to see Corey Dylon here. Corey, thanks for joining us, man, thanks for having me. Really appreciate it. It's great to see you. It's been a while. I know you came back in December. I think last year. You're here today, you're going into the Bengals Ring of Honor or Hall of Fame. It seems like you're reconnecting with the franchises that you played with, and that's got to make you feel great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been a long time coming. I kind of went off the reservation, so to say, for many years. So just getting back and coming back around organizations, it's a good feeling.
Speaker 3: So full disclosure, we did try to get you in December too. That's one of our one of our few failures. Yes, yeah, see right, Paul, we didn't get them the first time around.
Speaker 4: But it is great.
Speaker 3: I would echo what Matt said. You know, we're going to get into the two thousand and four season, but that is a that is one that I think has a special place in the heart of a lot of people in this area that that twenty four team was a special team and you know, I'm really looking forward to getting some.
Speaker 2: Of your man. It was it was great to be a part of that team. Man, there's so many Hall of Fame caliber players on that team. It's it's it's crazy. That's that's one of the favorite teams out of my whole career I played for. And dude, I had a great time. That was. That was one hell of a run.
Speaker 1: So let's get to it. You're at April, it's before the draft, right. Were there conversations going on. Did you think that that was a possibility or did it catch you off guard?
Speaker 2: Courty? No, Man, to be honest, I'm at home. I'm thinking like worst case scenario type things. So I'm thinking, like, man, I may have to sit out a year or whatever. I think. I think the Raiders was real serious about bringing me in, and and that was that was my first first option, and that's what I was thinking, like, man, I might be going to Oakland. So to actually get the call from my agent was like and he told me like this. He was just like, pack a back, We're going to Boston. And and and I said for what, you know, I'm like, for what we were going to bost for. And he just told me, man, shut up, just pack a back and meet me at the airport. So actually coming down here and and meeting with Bill and Scott Pioli, Man, we had a great conversation and it was simple, man, It didn't take that long. It was just like, hey, you know, what, do you think you could play for us? I said absolutely. We shook hands and that was that was it, and the rest is history.
Speaker 3: So at the end in Cincinnati, you know, we we you know, we're only watching from afar, you know, so we're seeing the highlights where you know, we're hearing the you know, the chatter, and we were like, well, does this guy really want to play? But it got to the point where it was so bad for you with that organization that you you felt strongly enough as you just said that you you thought you might just sit out rather than play for them again. It must have been it must have felt like a rebirth to come here and play for play for the Patriots.
Speaker 2: Dude. It was so refreshing, you know, just coming from the situation I came in. We were at ends odds ends about just what transpired that whole year. So, you know what, I'm coming off an injury and and just some of the stuff that was going on during that year, I mean just compounded the situation. So actually to get a fresh new start and actually come to an organization that winning is everything, I embraced that. That's what I wanted to do.
Speaker 1: Did you have any preconceived notions? I mean, it feels like it's almost like a get out of jail free card for you. Maybe you'd have accepted to go anyplace hosted Bill, Yeah, but here you're coming to the defending super Bowl champions. You don't know anything about the organization other than they're the defending champs. What was your feeling coming in.
Speaker 2: Ah, Man, that was a lot of anxiety, to be honest with you, because you don't know what to expect. They already got something in place and they're rolling. And then you got this, You got this notion of like what they really need me for? They just want the Super Bowl, you know what I mean. So I think I think some people think it's easy to be traded to a super Bowl champion. Man, there's more pressure on you to make your mark and to contribute to that, to that team. So I mean I embraced that situation as well. I just wanted to come in and, you know what, do my part. And for the most part, man, my teammates were great. They accepted me, the organization accepted me. Bill let me do my theme, man, So it kind of worked out.
Speaker 3: So that's interesting that you had something anxiety coming in. Interesting, right, So what was you know, what you said that they really accepted you. What was the moment that you sort of felt accepted.
Speaker 2: Well, hey, some of these players already knew, right, so that that kind of that kind of bridged the gap of getting comfortable, meaning that you.
Speaker 1: Could play like in two thousand and one, they had to face him.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah. So I mean just breaking the eyes and getting to know these guys, and I mean just coming here doing training camp and us joking around and getting familiar with each other, we kind of, you know, everybody was just like, oh okay, so some of the things I hear ain't what they are, you know what I mean? So yeah, i mean I'm pretty sure coming in due to the fact that less Cincinnati, they were like, can we trust him? Can is he gonna be able to fit any with us, can he does? You know, Just things like that of that nature and just coming in and they seeing my personality like I'm just like them, I think kind of broke the eyes and we started we started yelling and they let me do my thing.
Speaker 1: So there was an acclamation period definitely training camp, preseason maybe.
Speaker 2: Okay, definitely, I mean, and then on top of that, I'm pretty sure people was still thinking wondering if I could play as well. So yeah, so it was it was a lot of things going on, a lot of things that have anxiety about, to be honest with you, but just being me and my personality, nothing I couldn't handle. And I think I came in and fit in with the guys good.
Speaker 4: Was it really quick in training camp?
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously they were a good team, right, But I always felt that that old four team was the first one that was sort of there was There was no asterisks, there was no yeah butts.
Speaker 4: They were just dominant.
Speaker 3: And was there a moment where you just sort of felt like, Wow, this team can really be special.
Speaker 2: I think I think when we went off to that five oh start, man, I was just like, yeah, we're pretty damn good. You know what I mean, and I don't. Only only the way we lose is if we beat ourselves type thing. And I kind of felt that, you know, because we're dominant on defense and we got great players on offense. So I really felt overall, only way we losing if we beat our stuff and make mistakes. So it during that whole season, I mean, everybody I like, I like players holding players accountable offense and defense. That's what we did all year man, so it it it panned out and it kept us focus as just coming in and you know the you know the famous quote, just do your job, you know, and that's what we did and and players held everybody accountable for just doing your job. So and if you're off, you're not. You know, other players consense that, you know what I mean. And it's just the confidence another player will give you when you may be struggling a little bit to go out there and perform, man means everything that signs up a good team.
Speaker 1: You come to New England at an interesting point in time. Everybody today knows how great Tom Brady was right in two thousand and four, and I'm not taking anything away from him. He was a two time Super Bowl winning quarterback at the time, but he wasn't Tom Brady. What did you see out of him, Corey at that point in time as a player, you knew he was a pretty good quarterback, but nobody in there wild the dreams was ever going to think that what happened happened. What did you see that you thought made him great?
Speaker 2: Man? Just just being that ultimate competitor, and you could see that. I can see that right off the bat. I can see that. I knew it. Just how he prepares, he was always first, then laughed out and the way he gathered all of us. There's not one player in that locker room that wouldn't run through a brick wall for Tom Brady. And that's what it's about. He controlled, he had that, he had that control over the team, where hey, man, let's when he gets going with head button people and screaming, let's go man, It's it's exciting for your quarterback to see your quarterback to express those kind of emotions and energy. Man, it fires everybody up. So ultimate leader, ultimate competitor. And I seen it. I seen it then. I knew he was gonna be great so and he proved it so easily. He proved it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know it sounds a little funny because they went fourteen and two and three en route to the Super Bowl, so it's not like, yes, they locked into it, but it kind of got a lot of breaks in O three and O four. I kind of looked at it as you were the missing piece, like you were that one ingredient that made them completely, as you said, unbeatable unless you beat yourselves. Can you just remember that year just being that league guy franchise record for rushing yards I think over sixteen hundred rushing yards in four just the dominant way that you guys went about it. You could beat teams offensively, defensively, special teams. I used to have a joke in the press box. I would decide, like first drive of the game, whether or not you guys showed up that day, and if the game was over, and it was a game in Cleveland, I think Bethel Johnson returned the opening.
Speaker 4: I looked at my boss and I said, that's game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, man, that that was the thing. Man. We can win in so many ways. There's been times like during that all four season where we start off in five wides. We're not even running the ball, We'll go a whole two series. We don't even run the ball. And I just think that was the scheming of Charlie Wise. He he was a genius in running that running that offense, man, and dude, it was I felt like, you know what, I was a closer, you know, and so in so many ways, like in those grimy games, like you need those tough yards, that's where I showed up and showed up big. So yeah, we had a we had a variety of ways of winning football games and just just just knowing that, you know what, at the end of these games like that late third quarters, in the fourth quarters, I show up big and they gave me the ball, they let they let me go and I and I ran with it.
Speaker 1: What was the nickname that Puski? I don't know if Bruski's the author of the nickname. What's the nickname?
Speaker 2: Clock killing? Yeah, yeah, so it's it's true. I used to run a control, controlling on the ground, run out that clock and there it is.
Speaker 1: And that was really what a way to play football too. It was get a lead, you know, and then just hammered home. Trust your defense. That's a pretty decent recipe for success.
Speaker 2: Isn't it. Yeah? It worked it though, for it worked all the way to Jacksonville.
Speaker 3: Yes, Like honestly, for you did feel like a rebirth of sorts, you know, to to just come and have that much success, both individually and as a team.
Speaker 1: And maybe reaffirmed Corey what you were thinking when you were in a different space, you know, with Cincinnati and everything like that.
Speaker 3: I don't suss a record for individual you know, single game rushing, like you had a lot of individual accolades, but this, the team success came with it.
Speaker 2: You know what what dawned on me? I didn't. I didn't understand like like being at an other organization, you would hear, you would hear like what other organizations do. So I never I never knew what the Patriot Way was. I didn't. I didn't. I didn't get that. I was like, what is you know what I mean like, I don't know, is that a code? What's going on? Like? And you would hear that from from other places, because I mean, I grew up. I'm from Seattle, I know Lawyer mylloy and I've been to Willie McGinnis and all these guys before I got here. So me actually coming over and like in the narrative out there before I even got here, Oh, he'd never fit in. It's the patriotet. I was like, I don't even know what the hell that is, to be honest with you, But getting over here and seeing it firsthand and figuring out what it is. It's just a guy doing his job, you know what I mean, going out there playing the right way.
Speaker 1: And I think Paul certainly in that era right around there, Bill had a tremendous amount of success with picking the right like not listening to the narrative, Oh, Corey Dillon's gonna kill your team. You don't want to bring him and he's a bad apple. You know that's gonna He's a killer for your You know what, let me see what I can do with Corey Dillon. Have a talk with you, man to man, and as you said, let me just do my job.
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Is it when you look back at that, do you think that that's part of Bill's genius?
Speaker 2: You know what? I think? Treating a player like a player exactly exactly. Listen. One thing about Bill is, hey, man, if you're out there, you're doing your job. He's not gonna really, he ain't gonna mess with you. Only time he's gonna deal with you is if you don't know what you're doing. You know what I mean. And for the most part, he let me come here and grow. He didn't. Me and Bill had great conversations. You know, I knew what I was doing. I knew my assignment, and I prided myself on going out there and executing that part of it. So it wasn't really nothing else really to talk about other than xens and o's and preparing me for the next situation. It was never no negativity whatsoever. So and he's like that with every player. As long as you're doing your job, he's not really good. There's nothing to be said.
Speaker 3: So earlier you said something about that team being so so talented. You realize the only way we're going to screw this up is if we beat ourselves, right. Yeah, that late season game in Miami, oh wow, the Monday night, Well.
Speaker 4: You guys basically did exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean, I see, I see, I see my image going on that trailer. Man, it is way quick. So yeah, I remember that game, and and and and since our retirement, there's always something with New England in Miami that goes wrong. Yeah, weird games, weird games. Yeah, we're we're down there. I don't know what what was we We were fourteen and.
Speaker 3: One, yeah, yep, thirteen and one. Yeah, we have one loss. Yeah yeah, we were one loss, twelve thirteen whatever.
Speaker 2: And Monday night, Monday night, we're controlling the game. Everything is going good. Man, it just weird stuff started happening. Man. It just interception here, fumble here, and I'm just looking like wow. But I tell you what, I tell you what I think. Honestly, I don't like losing. I hate losing, but I think we needed to lose that game to reset and get back focused, because I mean, when you're running through the season and you're thirteen and one or whatever, you can get a little complacent, you know what I mean. And I think Bill used that game, prime example, to reset us, get us back where we need to be. That following week of practice was I can only imagine. I was just like, I don't want to lose again. You know, that part of itself us. It got us set up for the playoff run.
Speaker 1: I think Paul a lot of fans will look back and I don't know how much argument there is as to what the best Patriots team of all time is I certainly like what would be the ill fortune?
Speaker 4: That's my vote, right, But if you think.
Speaker 1: About that in the year and Corey, what did this happen? On the other side of the ball, Law goes down, you know, Asante goes down, Troy Brown is playing defensive back earth when Moreland. You know, guys are just coming out of nowhere, but they're making plays and they're being put in a position where maybe they're not getting exposed or anything like that, and the team is coming around you to try to cover up some of those places. That was a pretty remarkable part of that team with some of the difficulties that.
Speaker 2: You had from a personnel standpoint, I mean, and that's that's just the brilliance of the players we had. We're you know, could switch. Who Who would ever thought Troy Brown can get over there and play corner, right, you know what I mean? Who would think of that? What coach would think of you know what, Troy, we need you at corner this week, and had a confidence of putting them in there and letting him play corner. I think I think overall what was real underrated is we had a lot of good players. Verse of tile players. I think that's what Bill likes. Players that are versatile and can do many things. And it's that's kind of a genius move. We're gonna just take Troy Bown and make him play corner and then for the most part, Troy went out there and held his own so and that shows what kind of player he is, you know what I mean. So, And but I think I think that team and like, if you start going through this, this whole walk of dynasty, I think some of those players. I think that that All four team is underrated because people didn't know the caliber of players we had. I did. I knew. I worked with him every day.
Speaker 1: Right, So Corey Dillon's in All Pro. Okay, and you were in the Pro Bowl that year and All Pro. Everybody knows who Corey Dillon is. Here's a guy who I think grows under the radar for a lot that really emerge that year, and that's David Gibbons. Like who's David give you know, right, and who's David Givens. David Gibbons was a hell of a player in that system, wasn't he Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? I Mean he stepped up big when when Branch went down so and and that's what I'm saying there was we had so many talented players on that squad, Like when somebody get hurt, somebody'll step back up and and and and feel that voided till they get back. I think I think that's that's how we survived, and that's where our confidence grew as a team that no matter what happens, we're gonna have. The next guy's gonna step up and we're gonna keep rolling.
Speaker 3: You get you getting into the playoffs that year first game is what I think is probably one of your highlights. You know, the game against the Colts here and the terrible weather. You get the great images of you with all the mud and stuff all, you know, before we had the you know, the field turf put in or still natural grass.
Speaker 4: Then was that your first ever playoff game? Did you have a playoff apparent?
Speaker 2: First ever playoff game?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, I think the Colts are still chasing you. It had to be really satisfying.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, yeah it was, man, it was. It was a cold one. I think it was some snow flurries here.
Speaker 1: Right at the beginning, just to get Manning off his game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just look and you know what I'm from. I'm from Seattle, Man, I'm used to those snowy, cold, muddy games. So I knew it was I knew it was gonna be. You know, we've gotta do some running. We're gonna be on the ground this game. We're gonna do a lot of running. So dude, it was after the first initial hit, man, I just settled in and started doing my job. Man, And it turned out. I don't know if it's like what forty four ground something like that should have had.
Speaker 1: I mean, were that I mean, were you on the dives of the pilot.
Speaker 2: You know what? Officials came back the following year, I said, you know what, this was actually a touchdown. Yeah, so I I wish I wish they would have called it, called it right the first time. But you know what, we end up winning the game, So that's all that matters.
Speaker 1: That image of you diving for the pounds.
Speaker 2: You have kids, Yeah, they see you see that one. Look at d Yeah. My daughter is always like, Dad, you didn't play. You weren't good. I'm like, you better check this out, come back and watch some film.
Speaker 4: Divisional round.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then the next game, Corey, you know that was that that Indie game is hard fought. The defense really shut Manny down. You're going into Pittsburgh where you got thumped in the regular season, you know, and what was the confidence level of going back in there and say, you know what did go down in the Pittsburgh game. I went down in the first so that was a little bit of a what was your confidence level like going into Pittsburgh.
Speaker 2: I think I missed that Pittsburgh game too, with a ham Street in the regular season, so I didn't play that game as well. And they rumped us pretty good up there, and I know, I got some friends up there, Joey Porter and all that, and they was talking cash, you know what, they were talking cash, And you know what our attitude was like, Man, let's let's beat them down. Let's beat them down. Let's go out there and jump on them early and let them know we're back. We're we fully loaded, everybody everybody's up, We're not at a disadvantage, and let's go show them what we got. And we jumped out on them quick and they couldn't recover.
Speaker 3: Was that the mindset going in, like you knew that you were missing some pieces the first time around, and you were fully confiden because they were fifteen and one.
Speaker 2: Listen, Petersburg was pretty good too.
Speaker 4: Right, pretty now.
Speaker 3: Willie used to tell everybody that no one thought you guys could win, even though you were favored on the road. Again, the fifteen to one team, which told everybody just how good people thought that two thousand and four pages.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I think that I think people recognized from the regular season we have people missing and and us fully loaded. We match up very well with them, and it was just a it was just a war of will at that point. Don't get me wrong. Pitchburgh had a stack one hell of a football team, you know, but we had players too, so and that was and that was the thing. Man, oh man, Let's see let's see who who who? Who weakends first? And I think we jumped out them real good. And by the by the third quarterman, that game was, that game was out of control. It was it was pretty much in the bag.
Speaker 1: And what was going through your mind then, like, there can't be many better feelings in watching a place empty out. You're beating them really good, as you said, right, and you're going to.
Speaker 2: The Super Bowl. My first initial feeling is they used to they used to kick my butt when I played for Cincinnati, so now hey payback. I got you. I got you. So that was my that was my first thought. Second thought is, man, we just whipped you on the biggest stage in the AFC Championship game. After all that was said, all that was done in the regular season, all the talking. We kind of killed that noise too, and then we're off to the super Bowl. It gets no better than that. It gets no better than going up to Hinesfield, beating them on their own turn and earning the birth at birth to the super Bowl, super Bowl thirty nine.
Speaker 3: And what do you remember about you know that that period, heading into Jacksonville and getting ready to take on the Eagles.
Speaker 2: I just couldn't believe I'm there, you know what I mean, a glans It back on where I was last year at that time to where I was then, unbelievable, unbelievable. I mean, yeah, I mean I put into work, I put in the work. But even though when you do put into work, some people still don't don't get to experience what I was experienced at that moment. So it was a blessing, man, It was a blessing, and it just reversed back to that handshake between Bill and me and Scott Pioli, Like that's the only That's what it goes back to. You think you could play for us? Yes?
Speaker 1: Indeed, sort of comfortable circle in that quarry, you know. Yeah, there's people doubt their doubters, right, people questioning you could it happen? Not only did it happen, but you end the year with Lombardi Trophy in your hand. That's got to be pretty satisfying.
Speaker 2: Oh man, what a feeling? What what a feeling? I mean if you it's just coming back full circle like from the year before to the end. And believe me, there's there's a there's gonna be a lot of nace hears for the rest of your life, you know what I mean, that's that's just natural. But to but to go through what I went through and then the very next year be holding up the trophy says says it all. You know, I think that kind of killed a lot of misconception out there about who I am and what I can do.
Speaker 3: So now moving forward, you you know, you start the old five season looking, you know, to win three in a row for a three peat. Obviously hasn't been done. Yeah, Kansas City is going to try to do it this year.
Speaker 2: It ain't gonna happen. Why Why Because it's never happened. It's never happened. I don't everybody's shooting for you.
Speaker 1: Did you sense did you get that? Did you get a sense that you're getting everybody's best shot?
Speaker 2: In absolutely? Absolutely? I think the four we were getting everybody's best shot. Honestly, everybody's best shot. And I think I think the consensus around the the league and to most like you know what, we're tired of seeing them win anyway. So I'm pretty sure. I'm pretty sure teams are are gearing up. They're gonna give Kansas City all they can handle. I don't, I don't seem I don't see them three p at all.
Speaker 1: Where did you see the pressures? Besides getting everybody's best shot to four was magical. Nothing went wrong that year, and so you can't just roll the balls back out again in five. You got to, like Bill used to say, it's a new year, you gotta put in the work and everything like that. Where did you see that thing went wrong?
Speaker 2: Five? I mean there was a lot of injuries. I mean I missed games that that that that year. So yeah, I mean you gotta have you gotta have some luck to to complete the mission of winning a Super Bowl man and that and and number one, staying healthy is is key. Uh, I don't I wasn't healthy. A lot of other players that were down. So we kind of we kind of struggled that year. We we still we still made it to the playoffs. I think we went up to Denver. We lost to Denver, which I thought we had that we we would have seen Pittsburgh again, and oh what a feeling that would have been. That would have been another good one. And I think I don't know, I think Pittsburgh did they win it that year? Yes, yea. Honestly, I'm sitting here, I'm thinking, damn, I could be have to have to stoo rings man to be honest with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you know, just from Afar, I would say, you guys look like you're a little lot of gas.
Speaker 2: That too.
Speaker 4: In Denver, you know, a tough place to play, no mile high.
Speaker 3: And I think all the sort of attrition of the long playoff runs, Yeah, I think caught up to you. But you want to say you could have had two Let's fast forward to six and you got a twenty one to three lead late in the second quarter of the AFC Championship game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, could it?
Speaker 4: I think we might have ruined it for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a different year though. Core They drafted back in the first round. Yeah, what you're thinking when you saw that happen?
Speaker 2: Nothing like? Okay? I mean, you still got to come in here and play, like you know what I mean, Like, just because you were drafted doesn't mean it doesn't mean anything. A great player told me this. It doesn't matter what round you're drafted. It matters what you do when you get there. That's a great boomer of sciencen. So you gotta still come in here and play. And then at the at the end of the day, what's the worst thing going to happen? Somebody get cut? I mean, I'm not getting cut, So I'm not worried about that aspect of it. So what it boiled down too was and you know what, Hey, we're gonna mix it up. Hey we split carries, and that's fine with me. I never griped about that whatsoever. I kind of thought of it as hell, I need a break too sometimes that part as well, that part as well, I never took it as a as a negative so and then on top of that, man, we embrace guys that's coming in here that can help you win. Who doesn't want that. So I never looked at it in a negative light. I looked at it as a another teammate here to help us win. And like you said, man, we get up there, we get up there to Andy Man and and I'm thinking, then we're going back. And then I don't know what happened, man, That big head Fela with the word and pulled a number on us.
Speaker 3: Man, And that didn't mean to gloss over one of the more underrated playoff victories of the dynasty.
Speaker 4: And that's the week before in San Diego.
Speaker 2: Oh Man, I think I think Ladani is still mad about that. When you're question, we weren't supposed to win that game at all, and I think they were the favorites to win it all.
Speaker 1: They were fortune too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. So and actually going up to San Diego and playing one hell of a team, man, that team was good on defense, good on offense, and we were we were in a slug fest all four quarters. And the actually go up there and come out with the win was was special that was. That was a good win for us. Uh.
Speaker 1: I don't want to trivialize it because I think, uh, when you say that you're a part of a trivia question, it trivializes the accomplishment. But I do Paul had mentioned this earlier. I don't know how many Patriots fans right off the top of the head go, oh, single season record rushing record, Corey Dillon sixteen hundred yards. That's a hell of an accomplishment and one you must be very proud of to see that record still stands today.
Speaker 2: I'm proud, man, I'm just I'm just proud to be a part of the history here. Man, That's what I'm proud of. Yeah. I always got the attitude of records are meant to be broken, which they they are. Some young step will come along in here and it clips that. But you know what, I'm an chaerish it since I got it now, you know. So it was great, man. It's a reflection on that year, who I played with, the people who was around the organization, and to cap that that great season of rushing off with a super Bowl. Man, that's that's everything. That's something I never forget, never forget.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as those six you know, obviously a very disappointing. We just talked about it, very disappointing, and you sort of have an idea in your mind of what the future was going to hold for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, man, I I just had enough, I think at that point, you know, like, yeah, I'm getting older. I was like thirty two, man, I was, I was. I was in my late early thirties. I mean, and I'm thinking, man, I already gave you so much to this game. I mean, and in my mind, what more can I do or what more do I want to do? You know? And at that time, some of the older guys that hang around, you know, catch bad, bad injuries, you know, so and the style of football I like to play, Yeah, that was coming. That was coming. So I just thought to myself, like, man, this might be the best time to shut it down and go figure out something else to do with your life.
Speaker 1: Which is what what are you work to these days?
Speaker 2: I think?
Speaker 1: ANSWERED want to know.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm trying to fix this hook I got in golf with the driver. Hey, I get a hold of it. I mean, for the most part, I'm putting it out there three hundred plus, but sometimes I have these these snap hooks. So that's that's the thing on my agenda lately. It's fixing that hook. Yeah. And then other than that, man, I'm just I'm just living the easy life, man, and just get my kids through through school and things that that just a normal, normal life.
Speaker 1: That's the way it should be, man. Yeah, that's the way it should be.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And then to be able to come back here, you know, I know you're going to be out and fans are going to see your practice, but I think people are going to kind of do a double take, Paul, you know, because unlike a guy like maybe Teddy Troy still in the staff, you know, Willie's been around that.
Speaker 4: Guys are in the media.
Speaker 1: You guys are in the media, and I think people go, Holy Strong, that's clock killing Corey Y. That's here in front of us. That's gonna be a big deal for I think for fans around here.
Speaker 5: Corey.
Speaker 2: Well, like I said, I've been on the ground for a decade and people haven't really seen me. So yeah, man, it's it's gonna be good. It's gonna be good to see some familiar faces. I ain't seen it in a long time, So yeah, man, I'm glad to be back.
Speaker 4: How much do you still follow the week?
Speaker 2: I do? I keep I keep track. I keep track, man, every time every time the passes on, I'm watching. So I'm on it. I'm on it. You know, I'm just a fan now, I'm a fanboy. Now I could just sit back from the from the living room and still try to call out play. Hey, wow, I'm glad you guys brought that up because I was just doing I was just doing some media things with Cincinnati as well, and like I told him, man that that that week, I'm sitting at one now out smart you know. Hey, I'm gonna I'm gonna. I'm gonna see both from organizations play and then the best team win. That's all I could do. No words, no comment, is no nothing real quick.
Speaker 4: We'll let you go.
Speaker 3: Just the way the game is played now as a bruising running back does that that bumm you out at all the way that's kind of all spread and it's.
Speaker 2: A lot of passing that which I don't It ain't. It ain't no power football no more. It's it's more passing and I don't And to be honest with you, I don't like how the running back position been devalued. So it kind of sucks kind of watching watching all these things by committee, you know, but that's where that's where we're at. So I gotta I'm I'm still a football player and fan and love the game, so gotta watch it. Gotta love it and hopefully hopefully power football come back and stuff.
Speaker 1: He says, the way the games change, that records.
Speaker 2: Are going to be made to be broken. I don't think so with that running back by committee.
Speaker 1: Sixteen sixteen hundred yards, it's going to be tough to get when you're when you're sharing.
Speaker 2: Those Yeah, yes, I really think so. But I said that records, they go find that one stud running back. That's God, that's gonna be that throwback and he and he he's gonna be able to get it done. Yeah bye. If you're doing it by committee, it will never happen, right, Coret appreciate the time in great Thank you, thank you, great seeing you guys as well. Thanks for having me. Thank you for downloading this podcast.
Speaker 5: Subscribe on the Apple, google Play, and everywhere else you missen like the show, Please rate and review us. Listener comments and ratings help keep us high on the podcast rankings so new listeners can find us. Be sure to check patriots dot com form on news and more podcasts