Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 2: My graduates from my school being forts bad drop drop Mike, drop back drop.
Speaker 3: All right, guys, welcome back, euy l. This is gonna be a fun episode, very very educational. I could feel it. This is something that we've been looking forward to for a while. So you know, one of the main initiatives for this year is to focus more on tech because you know, we talked about tech so much on when we come to stocks Market, Mondays and stuff like that, but we haven't really had a lot of tech entrepreneurs previously. So this year we wanted to highlight tech entrepreneurs and especially if you know, it's always a good when we can do black tech entrepreneurs. So this is what we're going to do today. And Rubyn Harris, somebody that was introduced to me probably over a year year ago. Shout out to my man Jason, Jason Lewis. So he actually was telling me about you. Then he actually introduced me to Sharen and then she introduced me to you, and here we are now. So Ruben Young entrepreneur CEO of Career Karma. So, Career Karma is a company that actually matches candidates up with jobs in the in the tech industry, correct job training programs in the tech industry. So just closed the series B right, forty million dollars.
Speaker 4: Last three years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So yeah, just raised raised fifty two million dollars in the last two years. Currently has over two hundred.
Speaker 4: Employees, two hundred employees on contracts.
Speaker 3: Twenty three countries non states. Yeah, right, and eight figures in revenue.
Speaker 5: Correct, visit the sight every month?
Speaker 3: Three million organic? That's right, that's right, people visit the site every month. Am I missing anything?
Speaker 5: I think twenty five got okay all the time? Bro, I know you many.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're introducing twenty five thousand people a month to job training programs.
Speaker 3: And it's so Jason so like this is actually a real testimony because Jason is he's from our neighborhood, friend of mine, and he actually went through the job training program and so that's why when he connected me, he was like, yo, I actually like he actually went through it. I'm not sure exactly what happened after that, but he was so you know, enthusiastic about it. That's what actually made him actually reach out to me and was like, have you ever heard of this? This is somebody that you gotta highlight because it's so great. So I just before we even start the episode. Word of mouth is always the best form of marketing and doing a good job by people. It's always the best for marketing because you never know who knows who. And that was a way that you know, all of this gets connected, is that you know, he actually goes through the job training program and it's really really excited about it, feels good about it, and then connects to dots.
Speaker 4: So we just kept seeing you everywhere. Yeah, I mean it's good people find people.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like I'm like here again, here again. Then obviously yeah you got like.
Speaker 4: And Jason Kep saying hey can you leadire and your Leasia every time I seen you, guys is bigger and bigger and big. This is not just a business, this is a movement. I want to be part of that.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it. So yeah, so this is gonna be th conplience. Like I said, We're going to talk about his start and starting a tech company Silicon Valley, the ups and downs, raising money, the road to a billion dollar valuation, all of the angel investors that you you know, need to know about all of that stuff. So first and foremost welcome.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so let's get into this. So how do you get into starting a tech company when you don't have You're not a tech guy originally, right, Like, you don't have a tech background.
Speaker 4: I don't have a tech background. I'm not a software engineer.
Speaker 3: What is your background. What was you doing before this?
Speaker 4: So I grew up in Atlanta, Georgia to Atlanta. I grew up in Atlanta, Georgia. I'm a musician. I've been playing the cello since I was four years old at cell've been playing the cello solves four years old. So specialty, that's a specialty. It's a different it's a different instrument. But I was growing up, I wanted to become the best musician in the world. So I did a lot of student musician work things like that. My cello teacher is the one who told me to actually get into business because a lot of artists don't understand. They signed up to a lot of bad deals. They don't understand what's going on. And so I found a course online where I was able to teach myself financial modeling, kind of like Uile University. Became an investment banker and that worked out very well, very quickly, the tech worlds started taking over the technology the finance world, and one of our buddies, he quit the investment banking became a software engineer. When I was in investment banking, I met one of my co founders, Archermeister, and his twin brother, and none of us knew how to code, and Atlanta Tech Village had popped up across the street, and we're like, what's this tech thing that's happening, and everybody kept talking about Silicon Valley. There was a company called bit pay across the street at the same time that coinbase was starting early. So we saw crypto very very early days, and we were like, if we want to start a company, like you said, if you want to start a billion dollar company, it has to have tech at his core. But none of us knew how to code. And that guy that quit the bank and became a self engineer, he did it in three months. He went to something called a boot camp, which is a job training program, and so that boot camp had a guy named Jack Altman who runs a company called Lattus today, who was also investment banker. He did the boot camp and he was a self engineer and his brother was Sam Altman, who was the president of y Combinator at the time, which we'll talk about in a second. And that's when we learned that there's these accelerators that will train you to be entrepreneurs, and there's these boot camp instead will train you even if you didn't go to college to get six figures and then teach you how to build billion dollar companies. And the two things were all paused here that Y Combinator says, if you want to start a billion dollar company, you have to write code, you have to talk to users. So my co founders decided they're going to be the right code guys, and now it's going to be the top to users guys, which is the CEO and the person that sells. So that's where it started.
Speaker 5: All right, So we've heard combinator before, shout the player as lounds. Yeah, one of the companies that we actually covered on Alisia, your partners, you knew them from the bank and they, you guys, moved and went to Y Combinator altogether. How did that process take place?
Speaker 4: We didn't go to Y Combinator immediately. It's harder to get into Y Combinator than stand.
Speaker 3: Well, let's let's let's just talk about because some people might not have seen that episode. Can you explain what why Combinator is.
Speaker 4: So Y Combinator is the world's largest tech accelerator. So in the last sixteen years they've generated three hundred billion in value. So companies like Airbnb, Stripe, drop box, door that that was all created through y Combinator. So what they do is they'll let anybody apply. There's two cohorts a year, and if you get accepted, they'll give you money. In our case it was one hundred and fifty thousand dollars. They take seven percent, and then you're part of a network, a club of all the other Y Comminator company. So there's over two thousand y Combinator company. So I can email any CEO in the network and we're fam and we look out for each other. And essentially they help you raise money, which is how I was able to learn how to raise all this money. And then you're able to get mentors that help you execute after you raise money, to build and solve problems that you've set out to do.
Speaker 5: So Tim and you're the person that decided you're going to go to y Combinator.
Speaker 4: So what happened is so we said we wanted to do y Combinator, but to get to the point where you're n y Combinator, our philosophy was like, rather than go straight into starting a company, US work at tech companies first, and rather than work for the same tech company. Let's actually learn the game first and in the same amount of time, let's take three years and split up. So Archer he decided to go to a fintech marketplace called Funding Circle, so he went there Early Team Or he was an auto trader at the time, which is a car marketplace. And then he wanted to get into augmented reality, so he went to Blipper. And then I went to an education company called alt School, and then a healthcare company called Honor, and then a political company called Hustle, and so we all spent time during that period learning our skills. So I focused on sales, they focused on self engineering. My brother also went to a boot camp. He became a software engineer at a healthcare company. And we did that for about three years, and then we organized a bunch of events in the city of San Francisco that I learned about to build my network, and then we eventually started the company.
Speaker 5: All right, so everybody decided, look, I got a skill, let me go master it. You have a skill, go master it. You got a skill, go master it.
Speaker 4: Let's come back together, like a backwards version of the wilten clients I started together and then they eventually split you split and then came back together.
Speaker 5: That's a real team work.
Speaker 3: So all right, so when you started it, you have one hundred and fifty thousand dollars as startup. Did you have any other money outside of that or that was like that?
Speaker 4: So that's a good question when we applied to why Combinator. So this is actually an interesting story. So I told you I was a musician. I did studient musician work. I did stuff with like Zetoven, I did stuff with triggering and dream, all these different people. That's how I got into the club space. So I did. I used to promote parties with Studio seventy two and Jermaine Prix, stuff like that. I took that same philosophy in Atlanta. This is how I met Michael Sibel. I did it. I noticed that they people kept saying there's no black people in tech. So and a lot of the events were like world boring. So I did a big party at a club in San Francisco called Infusion Lo. It was kind of like the event that you and I met in Oakland. And I made sure that instead of having celebrities, we had founders and CEOs and one of the people that was there was Michael Sabel, who is now the CEO of a combinator that started Twitch. It was a beautiful event and when Michael met us, he pretty much was like, hey, you guys, just start a company. Let us know. And at the time we actually started up.
Speaker 5: That's the conversation.
Speaker 4: Yeah you started, let me start a company. Like you see what you're doing you out here, like, have a good night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he started twitch.
Speaker 4: He started Twitch.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So Michael Sible was a black man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So and what's interesting is that similar to you guys when we came when we got our first jobs and technology, we wrote a story about it called Breaking the Startups. That took off and then it turned into a podcast. And so when Michael was like, you need to start a company, we was like, we started this podcast. He was like, have you quit your job though? Are you doing it full time? Like you got right? I wasn't doing it like that. He was like, I said no. He said, well you're not ready yet, so check it out. I quit my job to go full time. We applied to y combinator, got rejected. That might what's going on? He said, start a company then, so he says, so he says, he says either CEO right, I said yeah, he said go raise, So so I set out to raise one hundred and fifty thousand. I ended up raising three hundred thousand in two weeks. And then I applied to why Combinator again and then got in and then eventually had about half a million before we when we were going through the cohors.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, how do you apply for why Comminator?
Speaker 4: You literally just apply. You go to lack why comminated our contrast, apply and it breaks down what you got to do. So the reason we didn't get in the first time, personally, I believe is because I didn't do the best job of communication. One of the biggest things this is this is important not just for entrepreneurship but even career navigation in general, is like, you want to explain what do you do very clearly. What problem are you solving for?
Speaker 5: Who?
Speaker 4: How often do they have that problem? How are you solving it software? And when you solve it, how do you make money? How much traction do you have? Have you launched, are you going at it full time? Who's technical on your team? What market are you dressing? How big is that market? Those are essentially like the the the the foundational questions that they'll be asking you. And it's very similar to like when you're trying to play for a company. They're not looking to see if you actually know how to code or know how to sell. They're looking to see, like who are you and how can you solve problems for me at this company?
Speaker 3: So okay, so all right, so you go through. And then one other thing about why comedy is that it's also something where like all the successful tech founders come and speak to you guys. Right, Yeah, it's like it's like a camp almost right, Yeah, how long is it?
Speaker 4: Three months?
Speaker 3: Three months? But you got to live there, right you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, everybody come to San Francisco. Everybody come to San Francisco. I mean it has gone more virtual now, but everybody goes San Francisco. You have different cohorts. You meet up every week and then they have dinners and stuff. Yeah, you meet other other people are teaching you the game. It's like it's straight. It's like it's a boot camp. It's it's a boot camp for entrepreneur. Same thing that we're talking about job training programs to get a job intech. It's the same thing for entrepreneurs after you've learned the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so very important. If anybody's interested, definitely check it out. So all right, so now you have the money, you pass the you go through ye Combinator, you go to different you learn from different you know, careers. But you still have the five hundred thousand dollars that you saved originally. Right, you didn't blow that money.
Speaker 4: Didn't blow it, but you definitely had to spend some of it.
Speaker 3: You spent it before you started the company.
Speaker 4: I expect it to run the company. It didn't. I didn't blow it at all.
Speaker 3: So, like, at what point do you actually start the cot.
Speaker 4: When you're when you're you've already started the company when you apply to I see some people will apply with just an idea. But there's a really good quote that Michael says, it's like you're nothing until you launch. All right, everybody can apply with an idea they launched, even if they don't know to code. There's a lot of amazing no code tools like Bubble, like web Flow. You don't even have to code. You could literally just be like what problem do I want to solve and just make an MVP, which is a minimum viable product and just like try it, and when you're in there, they give you the money to continue running it because what you're doing during those three months is trying to make it grow as fast as possible so you look as best as possible. So when you present on something called demo Day, which is the end of it, you literally have the biggest investors in the world that you're presenting to and billions of dollars change hands.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, talk about that because.
Speaker 5: Before you before you do downwadate it because that's huge. I want to when you were thinking about this, right and the number one question you said was like what problem you're trying to solve? At that point, like what was the problem that you were trying to solve?
Speaker 4: It was a good question. So we want to really focus on career navigation. So when I saw that my brother was able to get a job making one hundred and fifty thousand and five months without going to college, that's how my co funders did the same thing my sisters started. I was like, what would happen if the world knew that there's these job chain programs that exist that help millions or billions of people gets money, but more importantly, skills that allow them to build solutions to problems for their own family, but eventually start their own companies where they're not dependent on anybody else.
Speaker 5: Earners, what's going on. If you're a business owner, you don't need us to tell you that running a business is tough, but you might be making it harder on yourself than necessary. Don't let quick books and spreadsheets slow you down anymore. It's time to upgrade to net Suite. Stop paying for multiple systems that don't give you the information you need when you need it. Ditch the spreadsheets and all the old talkware you've outgrown. Now is the time to upgrade to NetSuite by Oracle, the world's number one cloud business system. Next Week gives you visibility and control over your financials, HR, inventory, e commerce and more. Everything you need all in one place, instantaneously, whether you're doing a million or one hundreds of millions in revenue, save time and money with Netsweek. In the over twenty four thousand companies using NetSuite right now, let next Suite show you how they'll benefit your business with a free product tour at NetSuite dot com, slash market Mondays schedule your free product tour right now at netsweek dot com slash market mondays, that's NetSuite dot com slash market mondays, don't wait, don't hesitate, Head over there.
Speaker 4: And the biggest reason why I thought that we didn't know about these things is because we've never been exposed to it, which is why media was so important, which is why we started a podcast. And so the first step was like, how do we create the number one destination for career of us on the internet so people are aware of the opportunities that exist. What we realize is that even if you expose people to these career paths like we did on the podcast, some people will take the initiative that are like super driven and have the psychological confidence to do it. But most people need a community of people behind them to help them. And so we wanted to make sure that people have peers, coaches, and mentors to make sure that they don't just start a program, but they finish it and then once they're done with the training. There's a lot of people that are extremely intelligent, have the best degrees in the world, have gone to the best training programs that still struggle in the job search. Why because they don't know how to communicate, They don't know how to tell their story, and so we need to help them with that. So we have this network of companies. We have love of audio rooms in our community to be able to connect people directly to companies. And so the short answer is, were the easiest way to find a job training program online that is now growing to become the world's largest community career transitioners on the internet that will eventually become the world's largest staff in front.
Speaker 3: So two questions when he said to raise the money, how did you who did you raise the money from it? How did you go about raising the money?
Speaker 4: Great question? First thing that he said is like, what is the bare minimum amount of money that you need in order to survive?
Speaker 3: S e.
Speaker 4: Francisco is one of the most expensive places to live. They had about four of us that will live in in one place. The rent was like seven thousand a month, and we like broke down the math and without paying ourselves, like we're like, we just need one hundred fifty thousand. So so so, so the what we did in order to find who the initial people were going to be, I just leveraged the people that I met through working at companies that I knew that were investors. But I didn't just focus on the traditional angel investors or traditional entrepreneurs. I reached out to people that I know that were accomplished that will cut a check as well. One of the people I met at Atlanta Tech Village was a guy named Paul Judge from Greenwood Yeah, the show, Yeah Judge. Paul Judge cut a check very early. Arlin Hamilton from Backstage cut a check very early. Michael Cybele cut a check very early. And what I was able to do as I was able to be like pretty much within the first few days, say fifty percent of the round is full with people that I already knew, and then I use that and being like, hey, look there's only a week left. Are you in? Right? And I got the rock stars here, I want you? Are you in and out? And that kind of like created this whole fomo type of thing. But a lot of the stuff that I learned through investment banking around putting together a presentation really helped me a lot. If for anybody who's putting together pictures, could I get this question a lot, go to Sequoia Business Plans, check it out and they explain the flow. Sequoia is one of the biggest venture capital firms. For the people that don't know what a venture capital firm is, it's people that give you money to start companies, kind of like Shark Team. So saqoya business plans and then watch this video called Thing Big, Start Small by Jim Getz that really broke down how to tell my vision or our vision for what we want to do.
Speaker 3: And then okay, that's so yeah, that's actually the scarcity model. And then also using like you have like Paul Judge who's highly respected, so once he gives money, that automatically gives credit ability to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so what you do is like once you get your first few checks, right, so you always want to you want to you want to stack all your meetings back to back, right, So I would do like and then this is early days. Early day was just like five minutes a day. Now since we got Zoom, I'll do like ten fifteen meetings in the day. But like, you want to do as many meetings back to back to back, and then you want to follow up with all your material material. You got to be tight. You got to have your deck, your data room, your financial model is everything like really really clean.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 4: Let's say that somebody cuts a check. You follow up with people that may not have responded to you and be like, hey, just bumping this up to catch up to see what's going on. Why I'll let you know this other person's in and it's about to close. So you just want to keep keep following up like.
Speaker 3: That and then all right, So the second part of the question is can you explain what the is it pitch day at waw Demo dad.
Speaker 4: So demo Day? So So, something that I really like about what Combinator is that they bet on first time founders. Right, A lot of people don't they weren't born with a network that well, they're not privileged, right, I didn't have this network coming in here. And so what they'll do is literally give you credibility so that you can raise money. I'm not saying that it's impossible without it, but and there's other accelerators like five hundred Startups and tech Stars, hy Combinator is the most known for this. But essentially they bet on you and what they'll do is they'll create hype. So what's interesting about why Combinator is every cohort so they do a summer batch, and a winner batch has two to three companies that go public. So the whole world knows that Y Combinator is so good at picking companies and being selective on who applies that there will be multiple billion dollar companies and each batch. So what they do is they create a huge event where all the biggest investors come and essentially create a lot of fomo as well. So what a lot of investors will try to do will try to get to the founders early year before demo day, and we're encouraged to like wait until demo days so that you can present and then have the highest valuation, which is important so you're not diluting yourself which means giving away too much ownership.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's talk about that. So, like obviously the demo day, I'm sure it was a nerve recor day, but you prepare for the first.
Speaker 4: One, first one person in San Francisco.
Speaker 5: How many people at that moment after with presentation do they invest right on the spot? How does that work? And when you spoke about evaluation, how is it measured there? And if people don't know, can you tell them how people or how evaluations actually calculated.
Speaker 4: Some people do invest on the spot, so you know, whenever you present a demo day, you're going to get a lot of people that are gonna follow up and show interest, and then it's on you to follow up with all of them forever. You founder. It's different, but just some people will do their deal beforehand. It really it's up to you. They don't why combinator doesn't tell you what you have to do. They just give you advice and it's up to you to take that advice or not. From evaluation perspective, markets are crazy, like especially right now. The market valuation right now is way higher than it was when I was going through a combinator. But just to understand, like quick and dirty evaluation stuff, usually it's a function of ten x of your revenue. So like if you're i don't know, making ten million a year, ten x is like one hundred million dollars valuation. But usually y C companies aren't at that stage. That's actually a later stage. Usually a lot of people are pre revenue, have some traction, but not a ton of traction. I think when we were when we were at in White Company. Just so people have perspective, I'll just give the number. We're at thirteen thousand a month. Just that was a long time ago. And yeah wait wait, way back, way back, way back, so long ago. And what's interesting is that you know it's not just about your revenue traction, so you're usually you want to be why Commeday encourages you to make sure you have monthly revenue growth. The only difference between startups and like everything else is growth and momentum. So you want to be growing ten to twenty percent monthly from a revenue perspective. Not everybody is doing that, but like you want to just have that number in your head because you know compounding is key. But you're not just going to be evaluated on revenue. You're going to be evaluated on who's your team. Do not apply to wh acommindator unless you have somebody that's technical. I'm not technical. My co founders are technical. We knew that if they decided they weren't going to be technical, I had to be technical. And the reason why is because you don't want to be outsourcing your culture other people. That gets expensive and it's just you don't have control about what's going on. So be evaluating your team outside of technicals are going to be like, have you experienced this problem before? So, like, if you're helping people get good credit, like, have you had bad credit before? And have you gotten out of it? So are you personally invested in this? There's a difference between a job, a career, and a calling. This is a calling to me because I've been through it before. Right, So have you done this before? Who is your investor so far? Right? What does your software look like? And many other things. And so essentially, when you think about valuation, another way to think about it is is there one percent chance likelihood of achieving this valuation and all the other factors are like, it can increase that percentage chance of reaching the valuation makes sense, And so whenever you're raising money from investors, they're actually going to be investing to own a piece of your company. So the more money that you raise, if it's a low valuation, then like you actually like lose more of your company. But usually you can think about you're probably going to be giving up about twenty percent of your company in the beginning.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's key because most people like they'll dilute the company and give away ownership before they've ever made money. By the time they've raised it, they don't have they're that majority anymore.
Speaker 4: Some people have no choice because they haven't been executing and growing their company. Right, So you also got to make sure your company doesn't die, all right. So for the people that are looking to raise money, just be careful what you wish for. Like if you if you decide that you're going to raise money, you're not raising money to build one hundred million dollar company like I know you guys think in bees. I think in bees too, right, you know we tell you we don't. One of my mentors said, don't tip billions to out trillions, right to create these like ten hundred billion dollar company, I think very very big. And if you're not thinking like that, don't invest, don't raise money from venture capital. You could just start a lifestyle business and you can do friends and family stuff. It's not for everybody, so mhm.
Speaker 3: And just to wrap up the white comedy in the conversation, so the gentleman that runs it, he's black, right, Michael Seibel? And how many people get accepted per year?
Speaker 4: It depends the cohorts are a little bit bigger. Now our cohort, I believe had about two hundred companies that were in there, but like in the beginning it was like ten ten people. But out of the two hundred is usually a much smaller percentag So yeah, it's about two hundred companies year, So it's a good amount of people. And it's not just in the US that you have Latin America, you have Africa. We talked about global stuff earlier, so it's from everywhere. It doesn't matter where you're located. So and there's some people that have applied seven times right drop Dropbox is a good example of a company that got rejected the first time as well. And there's a lot of people that give up if they get rejected, which is I think is a very important thing to understand even in career navigation as well.
Speaker 3: Dropbox, Airbnb, Stripe Right or dash Roppie Deal like those are all people that came from Just look at why and you'll see like they got hitters. Yeah, very important for people to understand and to know, you know, you don't know what you don't know, you don't know what you're doing, and you know that's what the whole platform is to educate people. So any tech founders that's looking for you know, startup help while looking to white. Yes, and it's actually being run by a black man.
Speaker 4: So yeah, one more thing before I see you mentioned, Like we talked a little bit about the angels. There are different types of funds. So in the beginning, you're gonna be looking at pre seed funds and seed funds that are usually gonna be cutting checks anywhere between, like on the lowest end, like I don't know, ten thousand, twenty five thousand, up to like maybe half a million at most, like a million dollar checks. So you have seed funds and pre seed funds, but also take advantage of the diversity funds that are out there, take advantage of the funds that are focused on women in tech, take advantage of the impact funds.
Speaker 3: Can you talk about that a little bit.
Speaker 4: So one of our investors is Emerson Collective, right, So that's Loreene Power Jobs. So it's a big fund. Who's it, Loreene Power Jobs.
Speaker 3: Steed Jobs is yes, sex wife.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and so she and she has a multi multi billion dollar fund, right and she's impact focused investor. So in the beginning, they gave us a six hundred thousand dollars check. All right, But we have another fund like Imaginable Future.
Speaker 3: It's an impact investor.
Speaker 4: So they're usually family offices, so like Imaginable Futures another investors, so they're the eBay founder Piero Medior so multi billiant billionaire as well, so he could have checked as well into this round. There's the founders of Pailocity, so they're usually just wealthy people that want to invest in, people that want to do good and what's cool about these days, and people that want to start companies At least our generation. We don't just want to create something that makes a lot of money. We're focused on solving problems that are for them. My SoCs hicky of needs. What you all are doing with EIL with financial literacy is like one of the most important issues out here for our people, and people will fund that type of stuff all day long. And the same thing with us, like career navigation, career development, like if if we don't help our people get tech skills, like we're gonna continue to be digital cout pickers forever because we're driving all this value for everybody else's platforms that we're not creating our own. And the jobs that we have like at warehouses or in retail companies, they're going to be taken over by robots and what are you going to do after that?
Speaker 5: So earners listen up. There's a new site that's building the best real estate and investing experience ever. It's called fund Rise. It's the first online investment platform designed to give every person the opportunity to own a portfolio of high quality real estate affordably thanks to their cutting edge, low cost model. That's right, Fundriise is revolutionizing the investment world by delivering unparallel transparency and real time reporting that lets you see how the development of specific properties impact your overall portfolio. The platforms innovations, power and investor first model by eliminating the bloated costs of middlemen that have traditionally you weighed down real estate investment, saving investors time and money. Every Fundraise portfolio can be allocated according to the types of real estate you personally prefer, drawing on the platforms many active properties over one hundred and fifty handpicked by the in house team of pros, and many more added all the time. When you add fundraise real estate to your investment strategy, you're unlocking a deeper sort of diversification than anything available through your run of the mill public stocks and bonds. And one of the secrets that many of the country's wealthiest investors understand is that when you diversify, your portfolio is not just resilient, it's actually a positioned to earn more overall. But now, no matter what kind of investor you are, Fundraise makes it simple to build a more perfect portfolio. But don't just take my word. See for yourself. Check out why fundraise has grabbed the attention of the financial world, earning it a place on Forbes' list of most Innovative Companies year after year and the title best real estate Investment Platform in twenty nineteen by the Fintech Breakthrough Awards and Earners that got a special offer going on right now, visit fundraise dot com slash leisure. That's fun dri i se dot com slash leisure to have your first three months of fees wave again, that's fund rise dot com slash leisure. Don't wait, don't hesitate, Head over there now, got.
Speaker 4: To figure it out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you spoke about something that I'm sure people if they read and they hear us talk a lot, they hear seed round seed round. Can you explain what the actual seed round is and how many seed rounds are needed or if they are needed to raise a certain amount of capital.
Speaker 4: Running the companies like running a child, right, So as a raising a child, it's not like there's a a book to raise kids, even though there are books to raise kids that give you guys, right, And so think about the the rounds kind of like in the beginning, like a friends or family round, right, So you're gonna hit these days where we can't take advantage of really cool things on the internet, where let's pretend that you know, you might hit up everybody in the neighborhood over here to give money. But then like you ran out of people that you know, you can leverage crowd funding things like angelist and refunder and stuff like that, so that you can raise money from doctors and lawyers that want to invest into attack companies. That's usually going to be what you call a friends and family around, maybe music executives, athletes or stuff like that. Then you have your pre seed round that you might have an institutional investor, which will include somebody's like funds that I was telling you about before, Like one of ours is like unshackled A ventures. They they invest in immigrants, so that's like a really good one. Then you're in cap or Capital kp or Capital is like an impact investor. But they also invested in like uh Twiliyo for example, and Uber and many other things like that, so that they have big hits that they've that they've done very well. And then after that you'll do like your seed round, then Series A, Series B, all the way till you go public. Going back to what you said about evaluation, if you want to build a billion dollar company, usually when you're raising your Series A, you're going to be in the two million dollars a year range.
Speaker 3: For the Series A making two million, making two million.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a difference between raising money and making money. I'm glad that you called that out because too many times people are celebrating raising money, and I think it's very important for us to not highlight just that, which I love that you guys did with your intro, where we're focused on solving the problem whatever, make sure that you're actually making money as well. And two million a year is like the baseline for the A. Then you want to remember these these five numbers, triple triple double double double. Right, So so if you go your next year, you want to be shooting for six million, the year after that, eighteen million, the after that, thirty six seventy two, and then this one has some flexibility because then it's one hundred and forty four. But like at one hundred million a year, then you're a billion dollar company. That's probably when you're going to go public.
Speaker 5: Once you get one hundred ten exit you that's to a billion, that's right.
Speaker 4: And you know these days you're seeing twenty thirty fifty one hundred x revenue multiples. That was like the end of twenty twenty one, not twenty twenty two. You see what's going on the public markets. You know, so'st it's a little cool, cool cooler, but it'll come back.
Speaker 3: But like so when we spoke to John Henry, he was saying that, you know, depending on what kind of company you can have, they could even have much higher. Oh yeah, so like any AI is like twenty percent twenty five percent, I mean twenty five times.
Speaker 4: It depends, yeah, evaluation, It really depends. Like you have to like look at, okay, what are the public company comparables? This is where like the investment making Dodge comes in Like, so you know, investors are like pattern matches, so like what could this company be, right, what's the future of it? So like something that we would say all the time is like we're like booking dot Com for your career because you're comparable. That's my comparable. That's a very big one, right. But there's others like if I have the community side of things, there's like dual Lingo, which is public, right, and they have a big community piece where there's like over five hundred million monthly at the viewsers, but the very small percentage of them that they monetize. Right. You have Zilo as well, which is a marketplace, and many other things like that. And so to your point, you know, depending on which company that you're trying to evaluate compare yourself against, you want to be have an understanding if not just public companies, but also private companies as well. Oh gotcha.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I'm thinking like now, if they're looking at like at Uyol University, they might say like they could be the next check or something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah chack, yes, good one check Courserra you to me that just went public exactly because gotcha?
Speaker 3: Okay, So all right, So now going back to career karma, so you you go through all of that, Now, what's the beginning stages of actually getting career karma up running to where it is? Now?
Speaker 4: Such a good question. One of the first one of the first things that they teach you that I see is doing things that don't scale all right. So a lot of people, even though they encourage you to like have a technical co founder, they go straight into coding a solution for the problem in the beginning. You want to do things that are manual, right, So what's the first thing that we did. We started inviting people to our house. Andy'd be like, Yo, pull up, what's going on? What what what's your career goal? What's your number one problem? And what's your timeline?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Talk about So you said that they teach you to do things that aren't scalable.
Speaker 4: In the beginning. Why is that so that you could really understand the pain points all the way?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: This is a very important So Paul Graham and Jessica Livingston started by a combinator for if you want to really learn the game, read us all free, essays Paul Graham's essays, It's literally like the Startup Bible like read that. There's also how to Start a Startup by Sam Autman. Read that Read zero to One by Peter Till I got that on my booklet fire Like that all teaches you the game on how to think about this stuff. That's all the stuff that starts studying but doing things that don't scale. It is like one of the most important concepts to understand because it gets you in the trench just to know what's going on. It's like what you guys are doing now through doing all these interviews and talking to people. It's like when we started the podcast, I knew the pain points that people felt consistently in addition to my own personal pain points going through it, So then I knew what the MVP was supposed to look like. Right, And what you do is, let's say that I don't want to coach something and I want to do a paper wireframe. I could literally draw up mockups of what it would look like in an app and be like, hey, would you use this and try it? And then you will be watching him to see how he's using it, where he gets stuck, where he's confused, and then you can like iterate on it. And then once you have an understanding of like how it works, then you start coding stuff up.
Speaker 5: So if you scale too fast, you might miss some of those pain points. You miss some of those points detrimental.
Speaker 4: The ability to talk to your users is one of the most magical things. You always want to be writing code and you always want to be talking to users. And a lot of people after they raise money, they stopped talking to people, They stopped talking to their using They just get caught up and running the business, which is challenging whenever you're at this scale, right with millions of people coming to you and all these things. But you know what's cool about having audio rooms is like, I'm going to be on an audio room today with Arlen Hamilton talking to over a thousand people in our room, and they can always feel like they can talk to me.
Speaker 5: See.
Speaker 3: So, what are some things that's not scaling?
Speaker 4: So you said events, Events is a good example, signing them up to spreadsheets, putting them in we had, we had telegra. So I'll tell you this is how it happened. In the beginning. People come to our office, they'll share what their goals were, what their pain points were, tell us the career that they wanted and what time on that they did. We'll sign them up on a spreadsheet. We'll put them in a telego group, which is kind of like signal. Put them in a telegram group, and then we would help them, would monitor them, were like, okay, apply to this school, apply to that school, get in and out. And then once we understood what the motion was, we actually cloned telegram and then we put profiles on top of it, and then we eventually like turned it into the basics of what we had in the beginning before it became a marketplace in all each other stuff.
Speaker 3: So you got all that.
Speaker 5: So at this point, like you said, most people don't they raise money, but they forget that they have to make money. So how if you guys making money in the early stages.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So we've always we always wanted to think about when you're building a marketplace, which is a type of business that we're running. It's not an air business. Were thinking about a marketplace, you have to pick a side, like who are you going to serve? Right, Ernest?
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 5: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works, like the checkout is fast, the re seats are digital tipping is a breeze and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think about work of boring and sure they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring the safe plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster or to Indeed data. Sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed and listeners of this show will get us seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com, slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 4: So we have workers on one side, we have schools on another side. Both of them have some money. Right who you're going to charge? You can charge one or the other, charge both. So we're like, we actually don't want to charge workers nothing because they've already got one point eight trillion the student loans. You know, a lot of them are already in debt. They've been played by so many people. We want to make sure that we build trust because like that's way more valuable their money. Okay, so how you're going to make money though? Right? So what we learn is that there's thousands of schools, not just in the US but globally, and they spend billions of dollars a year to get enrollments. Look at where we are right now. You probably heard about the Great resignation. Have over ten million open jobs, four million people quitting jobs. And why are they quitting their jobs? Because they don't want to go back to the jobs that are in the factories that don't allow them to work from home and take advantage of remote work and be with their kids. Right. They want to get these type jobs. And what's happening is the colleges. Historically, when you have recessionary behavior, which we had we're entering into year three of COVID, you would see actually college enrollment going up because people want to go back to school in order to get a job that pays well. The problem is, just like people don't trust higher education no more. They don't want to pay fifty thousand a year to go to college if there's no guarantee of a job anywhere. To be very clear, I'm not saying I'm anti college, but college is starting to recognize that they need to innovate because they don't want their enrollments to stop keep dropping. So what they're doing is not just launching shorter, faster and cheaper models that train you to get a job in three to twelve months like Trilogy and things like that and My Homies at to You and My Homies at Chair. They're spending a lot of money to attract students not just on Google and Facebook, but also through virtual events and stuff like that. This is an interesting stat that Shama says. I don't know if it's still the same, but he says, like forty cents of every VC dollar raised goes to Google and Facebook, and that's paid advertising to attract users. And similar to and the reason why people do this because there's so many apps that are out there in order to get users get seen. You know, zero to one says just you know, it says essentially like when you build a product. I'm messing up the quote, but essentially like building the product is not enough. You have to actually get it out to people. And a lot of people think building a good product loaners will gets you where you want to go. And the last thing that I'm going to say here is just that colleges and boot camps started spending a lot of money in order to attract users, and so we decided, in order to make money, we would charge for every enrollment in the beginning to prove that it worked. So we charged about ten percent of the tuition.
Speaker 5: So you're charging the schools.
Speaker 4: We charged the schools teen percent for every enrollment of their tuition, and the tuition would range between ten to fifty thousand a year. So who's the first school that you went after it was interesting. So before I see we started a podcast. The first school was actually hack Reactor. So hack Reactor was a school that my my co founder Archer went to and they were five thousand months, so it's about sixty thousand a year. We're like, wow, sixty thousand a year from one school, Like how much do other schools pay? And like some schools pay hundreds of millions of dollars a year. That's how we discovered this market. And now that we're going to high education, we're realizing that it's not just par enrollment. You want to do a per introduction. So now we've moved to a per introduction model, so we can do like really interesting things like dynamic pricing. So if you're interested in a data science program, you might be interested in an economics degree or a math degreer statistics degree, So we can charge different schools different prices based off of what the individuals can study.
Speaker 5: Like that all right, So like if I'm going to NYU, the tuition is sixty thousand, ten percent of that is going to if I enrolled, but I could be more if I decide to study, like get my doctorate in something gotcha?
Speaker 3: So how do you put together your curriculum and what is your curriculum to actually get them trained?
Speaker 4: So we actually are in the school. We are the platform that matches people to the curriculums.
Speaker 3: So where's the curriculums coming from?
Speaker 4: So we actually built the directory of four hundred for the boot camps, seven thousand trade schools, colleges and universities, so kind of like glass Door. What we've done is we've organized directory of different schools and we have reviews from other students that kind of like the Better Business Bureau to show that they're credible. Every student puts pros and cons about what's going on. They upload projects, and they show ultimately where people are getting jobs by school. So when people come to career come or if you go to career combat Complash apply, you'll say what career path you're interested in, or if you don't know, and let's say that you do say that what you're interested in. Will recommend about three to five schools to you that are best for your desired timeline, and then you'll start talking to them. To those schools, you're usually not going to make a decision about what school you want to go to in the beginning, because you're not going to make a left tain decision that fast. Then you're going to start talking to people in our community that actually attended the schools, so that you're not just hearing people just I mean, if I want to go to Rashade's Cold School, of course you're going to say you're the best, but you want to talk to people that actually went through it. And so usually it takes people about a month in order to make a decision about where they want to go. And then if you're doing something full time, it'll take you three to six months to get a job. If you're doing something part time in six to twelve months, and if you do something self paces twelve to twenty four months. So but to your point, in our platform, we do have some like quizzes to like help you, like personality tests to understand what you're interested in. We do have a mini boot camp where if you want to build a clone of YouTube, we've done that as well, so you can do it and that will automatically get you accepted into different schools. But we never want to be a school. So being a school is not how you create a monopoly in education.
Speaker 5: So you. The schools pay you to bring in people. Yeah right, they get training from you, Yeah, they match it. But the career part, so like after they completed, now they got to get the job. That's why you're still involved with that process of them actually getting the job.
Speaker 4: Yes, so we're a career navigation platform. So we're the wrap around service around everything. And so it's interesting that you say this because the guys that let our series be is top tier capital partners. The people that let our series A is an initialist capital. It's Gary Tan. Gary Tan actually built book Phase for y Combinator, which is the internal directory for YC. And Gary calls career karma y Combinator for the people where why combinator bets on first time founders and career karma bets on people for the first time. So not only do we want to say that again slows down that.
Speaker 5: That's good, that's good, st.
Speaker 4: Why combinator bets on first time founders and career karma bets on people for the first time. Thank you for letting let me catch on. And so what's interesting about it is, and I'm glad that you're calling this out, is we don't want people to think that we just send people to schools and we leave them alone after. We want to be there with you before, during, and after the program, and even after you're employed. If you ever want to do something like start a company, we could help you get connected to that or change company. We can help you do that through our audio rooms. So yes, so I'll just.
Speaker 5: That one one more thing, because you said, this is your quote. You said, this is probably the greatest reallocation of labor since World War Two.
Speaker 4: That's right, that's right. So during World War Two. What's very interesting about that is the government got involved and they created the the GI Bill, right So the GI Bill essentially paid for the education for veterans. Right now, obviously the government's really focused on healthcare stuff after that. You know, they've started touching on positive student loan payments or whatever. When Obama was in power, there was the WOA Act, which is the Workforce Innovation Opportunity Act. But like this real focus on reskilling hasn't happened yet. In my opinion, something that the CEO of Check says, Dan Rosen's like I'm gonna give him shout out. He says, bet on the inevitable. My opinion is going to be inevitable for government to get involved to help its citizens reskill. Why because every politician measures themselves on getting jobs for their different cities and countries and whatever, and so you're already starting to see different workforce boards get involved with laptop programs or skill programs or Wi Fi hot spots. And in my opinion, the student loan bubble will pop at some point and the cost of education will go down and will be primarily funded by government, philanthropy and employers.
Speaker 5: Well, I'll go back to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, guys, you said that you said had a monopologe. Education is not through talk about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so zero one. It's very important to understand because like something that people talk about is TAM right, total addressable market. So whenever you want to what does that mean? So whenever you're raising a starting a company and you're coming up with your idea for what you want to solve, if you want to build a billion dollar company, you want to build something that has an addressable market that's big enough. So let me give you an example. Let's say that you want to build an app for people that like to play polo. That world is small, right, The people that want to play polo, but the people that ride horses is probably bigger than that. I don't know if that's a billion dollar company or the people that play sports in general. Outside sports in general is much bigger, so that TAM is a lot larger. But you know there's riches and niches, right, So you can start with the people that play polo if you're a polo player, because if you lock that down, then that allows you to take over the outside sports right, exactly exactly. And I was in Argentina and I found out about Ladelfina and all these other things like that and so similar. The reason why I bring this up is because the.
Speaker 3: Two Nike or Nike right started as a running company.
Speaker 4: Exactly and then they expend it right, so similar like with us.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: So the the two point six trillion dollar post secondary education and workforce market is massive, but the boot camp market is five hundred million something like that. So in the beginning when we were raising, a big pushback is like that market is too small. So as a founder, you got to be able to communicate our beach head market, take over boot camps, and then take over the rest of the stuff. Why do we focus on boot camps, because boot camps are the the the the fastest growing post their education market model that traditional education players are copying. And now you know, fast far to today, everybody's copying it. Nobody knew the pandemic was going to hit. The pandemic just proved us right, and now you know, with the main player, we're sixteen times bigger than everybody else because of that. Going back to the piece about monopoly, be careful about monopoly. In the book it talks about it talks about if you want to build a company that dominates a market, you want to figure out a software solution that can be a layer across across these things. So think about, like my father's a physician, so he if you're going to build a hospital, you can't build a hospital that heals the entire world. One hospital that heals the world, because it's so complex, right, there's just so many different versions of cancer. You're not gonna do that with one hospital. But you can build a platform that heals the world by connecting to every type of healthcare clinic and healthcare institution that serves people with various needs all over the world. Soon And so if I want to help a billion people through careercom which is our mission. We want to connect the world's talent to us next opportunity. Then I can't do it by starting the school. As much as I love education, my sister's a teacher, I want to build a school, but I can't. That's not how I'm gonna I want to see this in my life. So I want to help a billion people in my lifestyle. The only way I could do that is through software and connecting to the schools, connecting to companies, and connecting to the people.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: You said employer paid tuition something that's coming in the future, but most people are here that like, oh, it's too closely, but it actually it could be a benefit. Can you talk about why employers should be actually thinking this model before this which it segues into it.
Speaker 4: So when I was in Demo dem not only did I talk about that, we launched in traction. I talked about how three hundred and seventy five million workers are going to switch careers between now and twenty thirty that are going back to college. They're going to go to job training programs to find the next jobs. I talked about how income share agreements are changing the landscape. What does that mean. It means that historically, when people go to school, they either pay for it out of pocket, they take out a loan, or they get government funding or they get a scholarship. There are two things called income share agreements and deferred tuition. So income share agreements in defer tuition are a promised where it says, hit Troy, I promise I'm going to get you a job. If you don't get a job through my training, you don't have to pay me anything. But if you do get a job that's in the lane that you want to be in, then the tuition comes out of your new salary up to whatever maximum did I tell you, right? And what's cool about that is like literally you can try any type of education that you want to. If you don't get a job, you don't pay anything. And so most of people that come to career CROMA they do either an income share agreement or defer tuition option. Okay, Now, the employer thing is very interesting because it also fits into the great resignation stuff. Employees have the power and contractors have the power these days.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 4: What a lot of employers are starting to do. Part of the reason why employers pay for your healthcare, which is the big reason why people go there is because you know, people will work in factories and things like that, and if they get injured, they you know, and people want to have start families and retire and things like that. That's why they would do that to attract you to join the company. Since people aren't just going to school for four years and being there forever, companies are actually starting to get involved to make sure that they're funding your ongoing training so you don't have to pay for it. And so you see like Amazon paying seven hundred million for warehouse workers so that they can get their tuition paid for. You see PwC putting three billion towards this. You see at and T putting a billion towards this, may Sye's Walmart. All these people are starting to get involved because everybody's going digital target Look at targets like digital numbers going crazy, Domino's digital numbers are going crazy. It's not just tech companies.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 4: The World Economic Forum they just made a big plague to reskill a billion people by twenty thirty with companies, governments, and philanthropies. And I was like, that's my mission too. And there's another really cool organization called one ten dot org that was started by kenchin Out, former CEO of American Express, also a black dude, which we got a shout out, and he's also on the board and Guild Education, which is the pioneer in education as a benefit Give had that shout out to Rachel and they're doing really amazing things on the enterprise side.
Speaker 3: So yeah, So as far as all right, so you just closed the B round, So when you're raising this money, like you're hearing the news like are you raised forty million dollars? What does that actually mean? As far as like how much of that is going to get allocated towards like infrastructureloyees? Like when people raise that kind of money like a broad overview or you can speak specifically to your situation either or like where does that money go? And like you said, each round, I guess it dilutes the ownership, right.
Speaker 4: It can, Okay, it depends on how much lover is you got.
Speaker 3: Okay, So like you start off for the company, you have one hundred percent ownership, right then you have the family and friends around, and then you might give up a ten percent the family and friends maybe I'm just using an example, or you could give the example of like what's usually typicalp going and then like precede, you give another ten percent, right, so now you got eighty you gave up twenty percent.
Speaker 4: Now I would say, I would just say, like every round, there's that lution, but it's not always that extreme. I think like you could you could definitely expect to still have most of your company and buy the B stage for most people if you played.
Speaker 3: It right, more than fifty you for for a lot of people.
Speaker 4: But some people, a lot of people don't end up like that.
Speaker 3: What could they give up too much early? Or yeah? So all right, what's the what's a good amount to give up?
Speaker 4: Depends? Like it's kind of like raising raising sid Like there are definitely different Like it depends on the industry that you're in, depends on the market, depends on the investors.
Speaker 3: How much you need money too.
Speaker 4: How much you need money, yeah, how desperate you are. The best time to raise money is when you don't need money, right, So like for example, so like let me let me give you exactly right, So when we raised that Series A, so we finished, we finished, I tell you raise half a million, dem with day I raised one point five right, so pandemic hit markets dry. Everybody's telling me, yo, you got to keep eighteen to twenty four months of reserves of reserves because because nobody's cutting checks, so we had to get scrappy and we got profitable, and we were profitable for five months. So when I raised money at the end of twenty twenty, I still had a million in the bank out of the one point five that are raised, and I have forty five people working for the company, so you have leverage. Right, They're like, oh, it's capital efficient. Well, that said, you'll also get the flip side where some investors be like, oh, you too capital efficient because you're not investing in your growth and he's supposed to not be profitable. So it really depends on who you're talking to. But we've always been like that same thing with this With this round, when we raised the Series B, we only spent three million out of the ten million that we raised, and we had about one hundred fifty people working for the company at the time.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean, because even us, we've been approached from different people like interested in buying it's like, fortunately, fust we didn't need the money. So I was like, you know, we're not very interested.
Speaker 4: That's the best way to raise right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you don't need it.
Speaker 4: You don't need it. And like even even now, so this is this is another thing that's sportance to do though, but you keep those people close, right, You're still talk to them, checking with them every quarter. So like we just raised this round, so of course all the investors are gonna start handing you up. Make sure you check in with them every quarter even now, talking about what's gonna come next, and tell them what you're gonna do. And then just make sure that every time you catch up with them, don't tell them everything that's going on with your business, but make sure you're telling them that you make your progress. So you create the fomo, right, and I've done this four times now, you know the next one is going.
Speaker 3: To be big.
Speaker 5: So so the last one was forty, right exactly. So the forty obviously, I mean maybe it was a goal that was the number that you wanted to reach. I started off at wanting to raise thirty, by the way, wanted to raise thirty. So you have stages of development. So obviously you started out his career advice service. So let's talk about the career. Is the pathways that you have in terms of development and are you allocating the amount that you need for each stage? Is that how it's working?
Speaker 4: A good question, but I was going to ask answer his question about how it's allocating fits that's perfect. We currently have seven different career paths. See if I remember all of them, software engineering, sales, design, data science, data analytics, cybersecurity, product management. I think maybe even more marketing as well. So we're always launching new things, new things for people. You asked about the biggest challenges right now. So the majority of the capital is going towards hiring, right going back to this is an employees market. Uh, you need to be competitive in the market. Tech people get paid very well, So I got to make sure more people are paid very well and they have their benefits and they have their other things as well. And since you're attracting really really talented people, shout out to our VP of People, Jessica Lamb, you have to make sure that like their competency modeling is done so they have internal career paths, they know what they need to do or to get rewarded, and things like that. So, now that we have three million people a month coming to us, it's very important for us to invest in data. We actually want to grow to fifty million people a moth organically in the next two years. So our data needs are going to have to not just segment users by level of intent, like how bad do you want this? High? Medium, low intent? What interest do you have? What struggles are you dealing with? Good credit, bad credit? Do you have money, you do not have money? Have you tried learning how to code?
Speaker 1: Have you not?
Speaker 4: Once you segment everybody, then you need to design specific pathways for everybody. The example that I gave him was, if you're on Amazon, your homepage is going to be different than my homepage because we have different interests, right and same thing if we have different interests and careers, got to make sure that your flows are unique to who you are. And so we got to invest in that. And then once we've invested in design and data, then we got to start investing into product.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so what's the scalable model like going forward to actually get to that billion dollar level for you is just continue the path that you want right now.
Speaker 4: Continuing the path that we're on gets us to the billion dollar level. But we don't want to be a billion dollar company. We want to be a ten or one hundred billion dollar company, right.
Speaker 3: So eventually going public, Yes, So what's the what's the what's the all? Right, what's the pathway for you to go public?
Speaker 4: You got to get to a hundred million a year, one hundred million a year, hundred million a year.
Speaker 3: You can't go public without making a hundred million a year. You can, but that you just want to go make a hundred million because you could You could even go to spack route, right, Yeah, you can go spack route.
Speaker 4: You could go spack Roup. I'm not rushing it, right Like, I'm like, I'm blessed to We're blessed to have investors which we'll talk about in a second, that have very deep pockets that are that can invest in us all the way to IPO. So that's that's a really cool position to be in. And and we want to make sure that we have a strong foundation. Right, there's a lot of stuff that's like not real out here, A lot of people that's just all headlines. I don't want to be all headlines. I actually want to be helping people. I actually want people getting jobs like your boy that made this whole podcast happen. We're creating a movement, right, there are real people on the ground that are doing their thing, that are now leaders out here, like one of our other investors, the Winklevoss Twins stuff, the first they're out here. I heard of them, Yeah you might hear yeah, the first. The first person that we placed in career Coms a guy named Jeric Warren at Gemini. He got a job making one hundred forty five thousand black man, single dad. He's the one who connected to me, to them and like I didn't even ask him, he volunteered it. Keisha Lake who we got at stitch Fixed now she stitch Fixed CEO Katrina Lake is a billionaire. She also became an investor in a company. So it's just like through people like actually looking out for people.
Speaker 3: You do so.
Speaker 4: But to answer your question about how you go beyond a billion to ten hundred billion, you have to understand the market, the total adjustable market. What we're doing, we'll get us to a billion dollar company, but in order to really start getting into the bigger scale, right, if I want to be ten billion dollar company, I have to make like a billion a year, right, and then ten billion a year to be one hundred billion dollar company. So how do you do that the enterprise? So a lot of investors really like investing into SaaS companies, so software as the service companies and recurring revenue contracts. So if you go to careercom dot com, slash company, slash jobs, you'll see all of our open roles. I'm actively hiring a head of finance and a head of business development that will both report to me, and that head of business development is going to be the individual rule that I work with with my co founders and the team to take over the entire fortune one thousand and help them attract, or chain and upscale their workforces by offering career Comma as a benefit to them. A good way to think about it is, think about all these gig economy companies with millions of workers that drive but don't want to be in those jobs forever. We can offer career Comma as a benefit. The company pays for it, and then they get jobs at the end. Huge all users for career Comma. It's free for the company. Actually, the school still pay us boom right. A lot of really interesting things like that.
Speaker 5: So the marketing right because I'm thinking like social media obviously is a big marketing place, and is the marketing kind of word of mouth? And then the product that you're actually giving is the marketing plan because I'm thinking like even for like if we did an SEO when I'm put in career comma, if I put the wrong letter, it might give me credit Comma. So like, how does the marketing go? How you go about it?
Speaker 4: So my co founder Archer, he's a chief Technology officer, but also he's in charge of the SEO. For people that don't know what SEO is is very important to understand. I'm glad that you're bringing it up. It's search engine optimization. When we talked about paid marketing to Google and Facebook or Instagram or whatever, which we do, that's called sem search engine marketing. But SEO is organic traffic, so we get millions of dollars for free traffic. And you gave the credit card example, if I was in the fintech space, you know the fat had keywords. He probably heard of the long tail or like just type credit card and Google, and that's what's going to pop up. You want to find like the real hard to search terms and like really be the thing that pops up for all those like random things like an answer to a Python or a Java script question, and your article pops up. And as you start establishing a domain authority, then you eventually can take over the the more popular keywords. Our team produces about two hundred to seven hundred articles a month on SEO. We do podcasts like this, which helps we do video. We do all kinds of things like that. We put out research reports that are backlinked to dot ors, dot govs, which establishes our domain authority, which is why we're going to continue to win. But then also we leverage programmatic landing pages. So if you put this school versus that school, our pages will pop up. Eventually it be this company that company. If you type in Google today, do it today, how to get a job at Golden Sas you'll see, career Komba pops up there. So what do you think we're gonna do. We're gonna make listicals like top companies that pay for your tuition, career Corama. We're gonna dominate that whole thing and every other type of ancillary term so that as people are searching it, that it gets discovered. The problem with SEO, I would say, it's necessarily an entire problem, is that you're only gonna attract people that know what to look for. So you need paid as well to reach people because, like we're trying, you can't spread the gospel to people that know the gospel already, right, so you got to like actually be out there.
Speaker 5: The person that's typing career is actually thinking about their career.
Speaker 3: Yah.
Speaker 4: And that's why you're doing this, right, Like you're doing this to educate people about what's going on. Because the people that you're trying to reach, that you really want listening to this don't know what to search.
Speaker 3: So what's the like if who's the ideal candidate for career karma? Yeah, who should go to careercarma dot com?
Speaker 4: But a great question. So when I try to investors, I say it's blue collar workers between the age of twenty five and thirty five years old who want to get a job in tech. But the really answer is, like anybody that wants to make a career transition usually twenty one in up. Because I don't want to be encouraging people to drop out of high school if they're already in high school. Even though this can get you a job, and we do have sixteen, seventeen, eighteen year olds that have gone through the process and gotten a job. Usually it's going to be an adult that's in the job that they don't want. They come to us and then we match them into something mostly a part time program, and they get a job like that. Lenise Powell is a very good example here in New York. She's in Brooklyn. She was a teacher, she's a mom. She she did she did go to college, but she didn't want to go back to college and she wanted to go to boot camp part time. She joined and then got a job making one hundred thousand that a company called news Allom and she's doing very well.
Speaker 3: So you see there's a course or the course is for the employer.
Speaker 4: It's a good question. So career KMMA is always free, so we will never charge anybody anything. If you want to go to school, there are free courses that are in career KOMMA. Think about the free courses kind of like going to the gym without a personal trainer and without a nutritionist and stuff like that. There's plenty of open things like that, but most people still need guidance and things like that. So most people will sign up to a book camp, and a boot camp is going to have that option that I told you where you don't have to pay anything unless you get a job. So a lot of people will do it, will sign up if they don't get a job, they don't pay anything. If you finish and you get a job that's in the range that you're going for, it's usually going to be in the seventy to one hundred and fifty thousand plus range, and then the tuition will range between ten and thirty thousand. So my brother is a good example. When he got his jobs one hundred fifty thousand, he paid out twenty six And that's how it works.
Speaker 3: Oh, the salary of this comes out of like your paycheck.
Speaker 4: It comes out of your salary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, until it's paid off.
Speaker 5: Until it's paid off. Yeah, pretty official. Okay, So who are some of the investors? Obviously you had a series of rounds and now we did the forty million. Who were some of the people that have invested into the company, And more importantly, why we didn't get a call? Who are the investors going forward?
Speaker 4: You guys will always get a call we was left We was left out.
Speaker 3: Its left out that after the next round, the next.
Speaker 4: Round, Google Ventures, initi last Capital Soft Bank, Bronze Kport. So we have over fifty investors. We actually put together we actually did something special this round where we were like put together video. Most of our investors are women and people of color, and it's one thing to like write that down, but it's another thing for you all to see it. So in December, I asked everybody to send short video clips about why they invested in Career Karma for reasons deeper than money. And you guys know Nana, so shout out. So Nana Little Yeah, but I think she told me about you too. Yeah, Nana did like all of our videos. So she took all the videos, chopped it up and put it together like a Super Bowl lab pretty much in this fire and like it took off. Baron Davis investors, So that that's right. So Baron Davis is an invest.
Speaker 5: Another person that didn't mention it. Okay, you did it up.
Speaker 4: Baron Davis is an invest to so Larry. There's a bunch of different athletes and angels, but it was very important for us to have people that look like us that are investing in the in the platform. John Henry, who you guys know.
Speaker 3: John Henry invested and confused. I'm confused. We wasn't involved in this.
Speaker 4: It's gonna happen, John, It would have been, it would.
Speaker 3: Have been a good look. He kept us out. Next time, Yeah, are you gonna raise any more money? Or yeah, how much more you think it'll be big?
Speaker 5: We don't miss the next.
Speaker 4: But we have time, like we have time like like with this money, like we have over three years a runway.
Speaker 3: So this money will last you three years at least.
Speaker 4: But I mean the last money also did too.
Speaker 3: You just never know, like what happens, you know, are you are you profitable?
Speaker 4: Not right now?
Speaker 3: So talk about that because that's something that people don't fully understand either, like a lot of these companies aren't profitable or even just became profitable, like even companies that's looking on the stock market, major companies that just might be probable. Yeah, and people don't fully understand it, like how could a company like over you know, at least a couple of years ago not be profitable when it's one of the biggest companies in the world. And these guys are billionaires and like, but talk about that, like how you don't necessarily have to be profitable. Yeah, talk about because, like I said, people don't understand that it's.
Speaker 4: Important for you to understand your path to profitability. Right, similar to like how we knew what we had to do in order to get profitable and we did it. And now that we have capital, revenue, and customers and workers coming to us, we can invest into our growth. So, going back to what I said at the beginning, the main difference between starts and everything else is growth. And these tech companies that you're seeing that are public or private are attacking legacy industries that have been around for hundreds of years, fifty years, blah blah blah. So the way to dominate is by moving faster than they can ever move, and that usually requires capital. And like some people will go from two hundred to one thousand people in a year, it's a lot in addition to executing and shipping products and doing all kinds of stuff. And so it really just depends on who's backing you so and whether you're actually solving the problem that you said that you are going to solve, and if you if you're demonstrating those things, and you're telling the right story and you're actually executing behind the story, you'll be able to raise it. You'll be able to raise the money that you need, or be able to stay relevant. What I'll say is it's very important to choose your investors wisely, because some people will cause you to grow too fast to where you run yourself into the ground. So we've been blessed to where you know, I don't have no problem none of our board members, none of our investors, period. They all got our back, and they definitely pushed us, and they ask us questions and they hold us accountable, but they don't force us to like run ourselves into the ground. And so I say that just because like there are strings to capital that are good.
Speaker 5: In Bed, you spoke about board members, and so most people we probably I don't think we've ever had that conversation the process of actually choosing them and actually the power that they have. Like people probably watch Succession or Billions and they're like, oh, that's the board they're gonna they're gonna vote them out. What's that process like and choosing them, because you're actually choosing the people. Correct, Yes, Second, and ultimately through the board can fire you. The board can fire you.
Speaker 4: Whenever you're raising money, you want to be mindful of economics, which we talked about a little bit on valuation and dilution, but also control. And the control is like board. If you lose control of board, you lose everything. We didn't have a board until our Series A, which I don't think anybody really needs a board, and so there because now you're actually really making money and you need that type of guidance. Think about let's talk about the good parts of a board. The good parts of a board is like you want to have people on your board that you would never be able to hire that can help you. So for example, Gary Tan he runs in Initial Last Capital that's an over two hundred million dollar portfolio. It includes Instacar and Rippling. He was first checking coinbase, for example, one hundred billion dollar outcome, and he really has seen this many many times before and he's able to guide us on what we got to do. One of his LPs Topped Your Capital Partners, which is people that give him money to start fun They invested in our Series B around so they've seen not only what he's seen, but also from investing in other companies they're able to give you that OG knowledge. I think wild love from million dollars worth of game, he said, or Gilly one of them said, and OG is someone that offers you game, right, So you want people that are offering you game and giving you guidance and keeping you focused, because what happens when you start winning is you get all kinds of opportunities that are presented to you, and you can do all kinds of things. And it's up to you to decide whether you want to stay focused on your path or get distracted. And ultimately, most of the time, the right decision is to stay focused on what you're currently doing because of compounds.
Speaker 3: There you have it, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you guys quoting it a classic man exactly, very informative episode. What would you like to tell the people like, you know, social media, what you have going on that they can look forward to. How they can you know, enroll into the credit car program? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So if you guys want to sign up to Career Comers, go to Career Comer.
Speaker 3: It's all good.
Speaker 4: If you guys want to go to Career Comma, if you guys want to get a job in tech. Go to careercoma dot com slash apply download the app. If you want to speak with someone because you're a little nervous, just go to career coming dot com slash events. We have a big event going on today. If you want to send me an email, it's just Ruben rub In at careercom dot com. I'm on Twitter and Instagram, Rubin Harris. Are you b n H A R R R s. Pay attention to what these guys are doing, especially e y L University. I'm actually very excited about what you guys are doing there. The reason why is because you know, it's not just boot camps that are teaching. It's not just corporations that are teaching. It's not just colleges and posting that's that's teaching. It's individuals that are teaching. You guys are using a platform for it. There's a guy like Lenny Ratchinskis that's growing. There's a really good article that came out in the Wall Street Journal about teachers in career that are making or four million of years just by teaching. I think the biggest educator will be the individual, and this whole podcast is an education platform. So make sure you hit subscribe tapping. We also have a podcast called Breaking the Startups that has a lot of stories that you alhould check out. And that's it, and we'll be part of you guys. We'll do some collaborative in personal events. We're talking about it right now, so stay tuned for that.
Speaker 5: Stay tuned, stay tuned. Yes, Troy House, Yeah, well, shout out to the Alan and Jamaica. Shoutut to Alan Cuba, Yes as well. I know you, Yes, sir, I always got a show. Love to the fan. Yes, and shout to everybody that's part of the ey L University. Shout to all our Patreon members. We got over twelve thousand people in eyl University. That's big, that's big, that's a movement, something we're really proud of. So shout out to all our earners and shout to everybody that's supporting the merch. We got new something on the way.
Speaker 4: So about the cops on right now.
Speaker 5: I don't worry about it. Man, Your alumni now send your care packs. So we appreciate you all.
Speaker 4: Love us, love, love us, love all.
Speaker 3: Right, thank you for rocking us. To see you next week.
Speaker 4: Peace, peace out.
Speaker 3: My graduates.
Speaker 2: From my school being force back drop bag drop Mike drotagdrop droft.
Speaker 6: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas. Man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you were here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned and deported, you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right, leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families.
Speaker 5: Will be protected. Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security,