Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Hope you had a great weekend. Everybody gangs all here on this Monday, best and worst of the weekend. More of your phone calls coming up. We'll check in with the Monday Morning quarterback Albert Breer. He's been busy. The Giants are keeping their coaching staff. The Jags are not. They fired Doug Peterson, the Patriots fired Gerrod Mayo. Still don't know what's going to happen with the Raiders. Could be a coaching change there as well. We'll talk to Albert, he'll join us.
Speaker 3: Coming up.
Speaker 2: We'll check in with the Patriots as well. What are they doing. You don't fire Girodmeo unless you know you're getting your guy. And that guy it appears is Mike Vrabel eight seven seven three DP Show email addor SDP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show. Good morning, you're watching on Peacock. Thank you for downloading the app and our radio affiliates around the country. iHeartRadio, Fox Sports Radio and those chatting on chat row Seaton. Can you refresh the poll questions from ours one and two and we move into the final hour on this fun day.
Speaker 4: Heck, yeah, sure can Dan. Okay, let's see right now we've got up there. The Raiders should either a trade up for Shad Sanders or b keep the pick and sign Aaron Rodgers and bring back DeVante Adams, which I don't think is going to happen. Uh. I don't know that the Raiders are really in the DeVante Adams marketing. A would not be I mean, let's feel like you could still smell those bridges burning. I don't think he left on friendly terms there anyway. But people think that they should About fifty seven percent think they should trade up fors Okay, more surprising Broncos in the playoffs are Bengals not in the playoffs? People more surprised by the Bengals. And who would you rather have in the playoffs? People would rather have the Bengals and not the Broncos.
Speaker 2: Of course you would, of course you would.
Speaker 5: But unfortunately that's not the case.
Speaker 6: The Broncos were playing the Bills.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, unfortunately not the case, Haiders.
Speaker 7: Yeah, a little late to be firing your defensive coordinator.
Speaker 6: You needed to win a few games earlier in the seas.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Todd.
Speaker 3: Or Borough.
Speaker 6: Throws through one thousand guys, they still lose. Come on, get it together, sin See what.
Speaker 2: Now he threw for almost five thousand.
Speaker 8: I'm saying no, I'm saying, like at a game, I was just kind of exaggerate guy the first four five hundred yards a game, and they still find a way that.
Speaker 2: Look's not his fault.
Speaker 5: It's the defense.
Speaker 2: They had an easy schedule. You start out zero three, you lose a home game to the Patriots. Your defense was terrible. I think they had six games where they gave up over thirty point. I mean, there's only so much that offense can do, and the offense was pretty explosive, dynamic led by Burrow and Jamar Chase. All Right, so the Broncos are in, Bengals, Dolphins out. The Tyreek Hill situation, it borders on being a mess. He says he's out, and then he apparently took himself out of the lineup late in that game with the Dolphins and the Jets, the Buccaneers are in, the Falcons are out, and the Lions get the number one seat in the NFC. The Vikings with fourteen wins, their reward is they get to go to Los Angeles and face the Rams. All right, so we'll check in with the Patriots. Let's bring in Albert Breer, the Monday Morning quarterback, who joins us on the program. Well, let me start with the Patriots. You've been close to this situation. Why are they moving on from their coach who was a coach in waiting for a good five years.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, I think, you know, really it kind of relates back to the end of the Belichick era, the state the roster was, in, the climate in the building when they fired Bill, and you know, like how you know there are factions, and you know, like the the fact that they put that clause in his contract, the succession plan in his contract, I don't think made anything better. So like it forced the Patriots to go to girod Mao probably a good two three years before he was ready, certainly before they intended to. And I think the where the building was in twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three made it so Belichick wasn't going to help mentor mal and help him fill in the gaps that would be created by his lack of experience. And so, you know, I still think the Crafts really liked drad Mail I'm not sure what mail It thinks of the Crafts anymore, but I do think they still.
Speaker 6: Really like him and think that he'd have a bright future in coaching.
Speaker 8: But it just like based on the way they're set up, and they're set up for a coach to have a very strong voice in so many different areas. Because the way it was set up under Bill for so long, they weren't able to support him with the roster, they weren't able to support him with the infrastructure, and I think that led to a disorganized mess over the last couple of months, which led them down the road where you know, there were a couple of games there at the end where you just could not see the light at the end of the tunnel. I think the lost Arizona a couple of weeks ago is won, and then obviously that Saturday loss and a standalone game to the Chargers might have been the flashpoint because clearly, going into the game yesterday they knew what they were doing, or else they wouldn't have had a statement, you know, ready to go less than an hour and a half after the Bills game ended.
Speaker 2: But you're also not going to make this move unless you know who you're coaching waiting is I would have assumed no, I see.
Speaker 8: I think I think they'd be making a mistake if they approached it that way. And here's why I say that, Dan, I think last year they really cost themselves the chance to take a look at the way the rest of football works, and they hadn't had the chance to do that and so long, because they haven't conducted a coaching search in so long, you know, and so you know, really if you look at it for over twenty five years, as all these other teams that were stumbling all over themselves got a chance to interview people left and right and see the way the best organizations in football were doing.
Speaker 6: And the Patriots were really insular. They didn't really bring in a.
Speaker 8: Lot of people from the outside, and they didn't have the opportunity to see inside other organizations through an interview process. And then last year, I mean, they rushed Drodmeyo into that role, and the same thing with Elliott Wolf after the draft into the EVP of player personnel role, And you know, I think they really cost themselves a chance across the league. And you say, like, okay, like maybe you do know who it's going to be and you don't want to go through a sham of a process.
Speaker 6: Well, you can't tell me.
Speaker 8: The Chargers didn't know in November or December that they were going to target Jim Harbaugh.
Speaker 6: Yet they still looked at what was at twelve.
Speaker 8: Fifteen head coaching candidates, ten general manager candidates.
Speaker 6: So they went through a.
Speaker 8: Full process and got to learn a lot of stuff about things worked with other teams, the way things worked with other teams, and Jim Harbaugh and Joe Ortiz, who are running the team now benefit from the team having gone through that. So I do think they're going to run a full process. Frabil is obviously a name that's going to be at or near the top of their list to begin with. But I would think that the Crafts are going to let the process take take them where it goes, you know, and you know, we've been down.
Speaker 6: This road before.
Speaker 8: I mean, Pittsburgh's a great example from two thousand and seven when they move off the Bill Cower air era.
Speaker 6: You know, cow Or retires and I think everybody everybody.
Speaker 8: Thought at that point it was either going to be Ken wizen Hunt or Russ Graham, who had a ton of background with the organization, but they go through a full process, they commit to it, and they wind up falling in love with Mike Tomlin. I wouldn't rule out something like that happening here, although I think clearly Vrabel is the leader in the clubhouse, and you know, I think that it would behoove them even if it does wind up being very able to go through that full process. Right.
Speaker 2: You got the Raiders situation, yep, and you got the Cowboys situation. Do you see changes in either of those locations?
Speaker 6: I think the Raiders are still up in the air.
Speaker 8: There's been a lot of momentum going in the wrong direction over the last couple of months, you know, and where they are and what sort of voice is Tom Brady gonna have in this? You know, The opportunity maybe to get somebody like for Able because of Brady, you know, I think would entice ownership there. And you know, I I I think that they they they've had to look at the last couple of years and the way things are gone, and now some of the changes in ownership is their influence on on Mark Daves to do one thing or another.
Speaker 6: You know, I think we'll find out over the next three or four hours. What will happen there?
Speaker 8: The Cowboys are fascinating because we all went through it, you know, five years ago, and the way they dragged their feet on Jason Garrett, it was that was so weird.
Speaker 6: You remember that dam like the way all that worked.
Speaker 8: Where Garrett was employed, but like they're really gonna move on, and so Garrett's still working there, but they're interviewing people. The same thing could happen here because you know, Mike McCarthy's contracts up the same way Garrett's was. He's got relationships in the Saints organization for example, right like he and and Mickey Loomis were together there think it was five years and Mickey Willmis' first five years with US Saints when McCarthy was there working for Jim Haslett. So there could be opportunity outside that Mike McCarthy wants to take a look at. The Cowboys could take a look on their you know as well. And I think one thing that complicates the whole thing is, you know, not only do you have to drop a new contract for Mike McCarthy, so it's not like you can just kick the can down the road for another year. That's also the case I'm told with their entire coaching staff, everyone is up, so you've got to read you've got to drop new contracts for the entire coaching staff as well. So that's gonna be an interesting one. That's, you know, as as you might expect from America's team, a little complicated, a little complex.
Speaker 6: And that's another one.
Speaker 8: You need to hear Vrabel's name a lot. But that's another one that I have heard Rabel connected to.
Speaker 2: Tough to handicap Aaron Rodgers. But if you were going to if I said, Aaron Rodgers next year will be blank.
Speaker 6: I don't think he knows.
Speaker 8: I don't think the Jets can tell you what their plan is until there's a head coach and general manager in place.
Speaker 2: You know, would there be a market for Rogers outside of the Jets?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think somebody, somebody would take a look at it, like I look like, do I think he is what he was three or four years ago?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 6: Do I think there's a possibility.
Speaker 8: That you'd be getting a very motivated Aaron Rodgers if the Jets wound up dumping him.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I mean I can remember talking to Aaron about this in July and August, right and he said to me, I didn't like part of my reasoning for coming back and going through everything that that it takes to go through to get to the point where you can play quarterback in the NFL in twenty twenty four was coming off the Achilles, and I didn't want to go out like that.
Speaker 6: Dan, do you think he wants to go out like this? Like this is worse than the Achilles, isn't it?
Speaker 8: Like if like everybody would understand if youre going if you're forty years old, you're going out with the Achilles, Like everybody understand that like this, this this is like going out like this is worse.
Speaker 6: So you know, I don't think he knows what he's gonna do, but I I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't remember what what would you say? Okay, Now I can go out, Like if you're Rogers, I know, hey we went nine and eight and uh we didn't make the playoffs. Now I can go out.
Speaker 8: Look, there could be there's the possibility that he goes through the contemplation of you know, all of this, and he he comes out of it and says, you know what, I just can't put my body through it again.
Speaker 6: I don't want to go through what.
Speaker 8: It's going to take the next six months to position myself to play football at forty one years old. That's certainly possible. I think it's also possible that, like he has a Brett Farv hair Across has asked the way that Farv did when the Packers let him go, and and and you could see like a Vikings year for far from from from Rogers somewhere else. Like, I don't think that that's impossible, that you know, like maybe one last time he wants to come back and put everything into it and say, this is my last year and I'm gonna I'm gonna do everything I can to be in position to play, and some team out there looks at it and says, this guy could be a bridge.
Speaker 6: How would he look at Pittsburgh? I don't know, I mean.
Speaker 2: Serious, Okay, how would Mike Tomlin deal with that?
Speaker 6: Daved? But how would he deal with Russell Wilson? He dealt with Russell Wilson, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I don't think Russ is as much a diva as Aaron Rodgers is.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I mean, I think people that have coached the two, that have coached those two might disagree.
Speaker 2: Russ, gott Humbolt. Russ truly got humiliated in Denver.
Speaker 8: Right and I and I think to some degree Rogers has been with the Jets too. I look, here's the way I look at it. I think this, there's gonna be an environment out there with quarterbacks, right, I mean he go to Cleveland too. I look at like this as like, if you're a team that needs a quarterback right now, and you know you're looking at the draft, are you do love Schador Sanders?
Speaker 2: Do you love cam Ward?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 8: I feel like this year's class and the draft is closer to the twenty two class, the picket class than.
Speaker 2: It is the last year.
Speaker 6: So if you're a team that says, like, okay, like.
Speaker 8: We want to get a young quarterback, but we need something to get us by for one year, wouldn't Rogers appeal to you, like just the chance.
Speaker 6: Of what it could be.
Speaker 8: Was a motivated Rogers who is going to come back and show everybody like I don't think it's the worst idea.
Speaker 2: In the world, you know what I mean?
Speaker 8: Like, and I will say this for Mike Tomlin and Pittsburgh, like he showed a remarkable ability to deal with whatever personality comes his way. I mean, we didn't know that Antonio Brown was a problem until like the very in Pittsburgh. Think about that, you know what I mean, Like we didn't know who he had in that receiver room. You know, like at the time he had Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace and Emmanuel States. Big personality's Le'Veon Bellet running back. Like I mean, how he's managed George Pickens over the last few years. I'm not willing him to Pittsburgh, but I'm just telling you, like, I don't think that part of it would be as big a problem for Tomlin as it might be for another coach.
Speaker 2: Right final thirty seconds, rock Perty's yearly contract will start with the number blank.
Speaker 6: Four or I think I think they will find a happy medium. And I think I think like Brock is Brock's a team guy.
Speaker 8: Now, I have heard some stuff that his dad's experiences as an athlete might affect the way he approaches this a little bit. The Niners are a really smart organization and they're going to be turning the page in a lot of different ways, and they're gonna have to make some tough decisions on some veteran players like Deebo Samuel over.
Speaker 6: The next few months.
Speaker 8: So I would expect the Niners to take an early swing of getting this done. Remember when they resign Jimmy Garoppolo. That happened in Chan so they were very aggressive with Garoppolo. I don't know if they'll be quite that aggressive with Purdy. But if it's gonna get done early, I think it'll get done. It's something that's a little less than the top of the market.
Speaker 2: Tyreek Kill next year will be back with the Dolphins, or.
Speaker 8: It doesn't sound like it, right, It doesn't sound sounds like.
Speaker 2: He wants to move on Chiefs. Oh they bring him back?
Speaker 8: I mean, I mean that would be that That would be the classic move, right, the Chiefs have already started. I have already done these things that they brought Oh yeah, Juju Smith Schuster was gone for a while, kareem hunt right, Like, it's like what the Patriots used to do. You remember they they lost, They traded away a Dion Branch and brought him back. Bill loved that, like was like, all right, we're gonna get all these assets for this player, and then three years later he's gonna come back home and play for me again.
Speaker 6: Wouldn't it totally make sense if Tyreek Hill wound up back on the Chiefs next year.
Speaker 2: Kareem Hunt, they brought him back, yep.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So I mean like they've got the sort of program that can absorb it. And god, can you imagine you know, Tyreek Hill and Xavier Worthy running downfield for homes next year. I know Hill may not be exactly what he was, you know, even last year, but the idea of bringing him back at a little bit of a discount I think would probably appeal to some people in the Chiefs organization, and I'd imagine for Hill himself it might put a nice capsung on his career.
Speaker 2: I know you're busy. Thanks for making time, you got it, Thanks.
Speaker 8: DP, And I appreciate the flexibility today too.
Speaker 2: That's Albert Breer, the Monday morning quarterback. Yeah. We were like, whenever Albert can join us, and then he wasn't able to join his last hour, and then I said, well, he actually has another job. So I said, Fritzy, it's okay. He's such a great information person to have him on when we come back. We'll check in with Tom Kern with the Patriots. I thought, what you know Albert brought up was interesting there that you're locked in to girod Mayo because of the contract, and maybe they kind of put themselves in a corner there that they had a guy who wasn't ready for this, didn't think he was going to be their head coach. So we'll talk to Tom Current about that. We're back after this on the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 10: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 10: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on.
Speaker 2: In the world.
Speaker 10: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right so check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Kobe on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media, that's Cabino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Before we check in with Tom Curran covers the Patriots, Lou and New Jersey. Hey Lou, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Hey Dan? First time, longest time, five eight one sixty five. Thank you Dan. This is this is super surreal and I'll have a lot to get in and I'm going to try to keep it short and short and sweet. I have some advice I need from you, and I know it's not super sports related, but I've been listening to you. I go you guys like my best friends, I mean do guys from my adopted family for about twenty years. I go back to listening to you and on my little radio at getting taking the bus to my internship at k Rock Radio in the city.
Speaker 3: You know, it's.
Speaker 11: It's just been. It's crazy even be talking to you. So I'm trying to keep it all together. Yeah, there's.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 11: I just give you one second. I worked in radio for a long time. I worked at Serious XM. I tried to model my show our show after yours, which you can imagine was a little challenging, and I unceremnously left when when McLevin left, I was going to send in my demo tape for for the Danette Show because there's maybe five things I don't suck at in life, and it's it's it was radio.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 11: I write about cars, you know, I read for Motor Trends and some other freelance stuff. Who's I've been bartending for my entire basically my entire life, because I can't. I don't have to tell you how radio usually pays sorry to stuff a month.
Speaker 2: So give me your question here, Lou.
Speaker 11: I'm sorry. So there's there's Basically, when the Dead Dad Club and the Dead Dog Club came around, I kind of cringed, and on Thursday, I very unexpectedly lost my dog, and I feel like I should have done more. And then I found out same day that my dog went in to the hospital and passed away. My dad went to the er and he's not doing so well. He just guys forced to retire from the post office after fifty eight years. And so I just wanted to ask, there's no there's some universal law that says you can't lose your dog and your dad in the same weeker month, right, And then more importantly, just how to deal with the grief of a dog, because you've can get given me advice that I've taken pretty much throughout my INtime. I took my dogs to go see my dead dog because you said it. Your voice was in my head when that happened, and I brought them back and everyone at the hospital was shocked and loved it that that that was something that I thought of, and I gave you credit.
Speaker 2: You know, well, we'll just try to be here. I think if we're your comfort food and we're here every day for you, then great. But as far as the grieving process goes, certainly with an animal, don't try to replace that animal right away. Grieve The reason why it hurt so much is you love him so much. So there's nothing wrong with them. I hope your father feels better, but no, there's no universal law that says you can't lose your dog and your dad in the same week. Somehow make a smooth segue to Tom Kerrn, NBC Sports Boston Insider. Hey, Tom, how are you today?
Speaker 5: Feel a little bit like Casey casem here with that longest dedication.
Speaker 2: Of my dad a dog named Snuggles, Hey, reporter.
Speaker 5: I hope he finds peace with both his struggling You know what.
Speaker 2: That's gonna fix it right there, Tom, thank you for helping one well.
Speaker 5: You gave neither thoughts nor prayers, which is to be expected.
Speaker 2: Happy New Year, Dan, Hey, Happy New Year.
Speaker 5: You let me go. I thought it was January fifth.
Speaker 2: I let you go because I think you're trying to find happiness because of what's going on with the Patriots there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Jirobmeo was truly safe until December began, and it was such a rapid decline, and it was an on all fronts decline.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 5: The Crafts beginning the season said we expect to struggle. I hope we don't struggle. We expect we're going to struggle, and they ended up with four wins, which I think if you said, on the face of it, Okay, it's gonna be a tough year, you're gonna win four games, they wouldn't have boked. But the nature of these last four games, the embarrassing loss coming off a bout Arizona, followed by a decent representative effort against the Bills, followed by what could have been a fifty to nothing loss to the Chargers really kind of sealed Jerrod's fate. And it was also the messaging around those games, where the postgame press conferences were sometimes disjointed with you'd come out of them with more questions than you went in. So he was strapped to him. He was strapped to a runaway train, I think, with this roster and this team.
Speaker 6: So they made them move.
Speaker 2: But we just talked to Albert Breer and he brought up something interesting I had not thought of, is they put this language in Drodmeyo's contract, so he was the coach in waiting, and then maybe they realized that he might be the coach in waiting, but he shouldn't be our coach now, maybe that the job was a little too big for him. What do you think of that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was hope against hope. And I think that the Patriots have operated really and I've said some people blocking they say they won the Super Bowl with twenty seventeen. They have operated with a lack of urgencies for the better part of six seasons. And there has been very much a tendency that Bill fostered and oftentimes it worked, and then towards he ended didn't, and the Crafts have followed suit with we'll see how it works out. We're going to try this. We'll see how it works out. You know, it happened with Brady. Well, he's moving on. I mean, we're pretty smart here. We'll see how it works out. Didn't work out, he wins Super Bowl. You know, McDaniels leaves. We're going to elevate these two guys. We're pretty smart people. We know a lot about football. Patricia and Judge will be fine. I'm still here. We'll see how it works out. Didn't work out. And then the Crafts I think in moving on from Bill a year earlier than they wanted to because he had a two year deal. They wanted to continue. They wanted him to set the record here, but it became so untenable with him that they moved on. And I think with Gerrod they saw a terrific leader, a smart guy who needed seasoning. He was put into the position before he got the seasoning, and the tenor of the season was we'll see how it works out. So they need to be more urgent. I really think Dan that making a move within an hour the game's end, when there was so much uncertainty whether or not a move would even be made, shows the urgency.
Speaker 2: I think that they're feeling, do you make this move if you don't have that coach in waiting? Granted you have to go through the process here, but do you think that they made that move knowing who they're going to hire.
Speaker 5: I think they made that move knowing who they are going to pursue, and feeling safe enough that the interest will be reciprocated that they might be able to move on. You can't just move on and then hire Bobby Slowick. Not that Bobby Slowack isn't a good candidate, but what ties does Bobby Slowak as an offensive coordinator in Houston havefter the New England Patriots. The Patriots, it's very important to them they have somebody who has Ties, So the most obvious candidate would be Mike Vrabel. Rabel has always shown great deference to the Crafts in terms of what they built here, what this team's all about, and he would be the antidote. It was funny I heard Rex Ryan talking about why he would be a good candidate for the Jets today, and in saying so, he said, you need somebody to understand that fan base and connect with that fan base. Was taught. I'm not talking about x's and o's, but that's exactly what Rabel would do. In a way, I think that that Bill didn't like Rabel was excuse me, Mayo was the antithesis of Bill in some ways, they need somebody to split the difference.
Speaker 2: Talking to Tom current NBC Sports Boston insider, knowing what you know of Tom Brady, there was a report that came out Andrew Marshawn that Tom's probably going to be one and done, which would not surprise me, and maybe get more involved in the Raiders situation. But knowing Brady and how much involvement do you see him with the Raiders and can you see a coaching change here.
Speaker 5: Well, that's a good question. I think Antonio Pears and Gerard have similar styles. I am not close enough to know exactly how the ins and outs are working there. I think if they did make a coaching change, what's Jermaine to me? And this I love you is the word Jermaine is that it immediately makes me think. When you mentioned Brady, I thought you were going to say, well, they're going to go after Rabel, and I wonder if that would be the case. In the case of Rabel. I would think that Brady would see him as the best candidate out there. I think the Brabel is the best candidate out there for a variety of reasons, the main one being experienced. Girod failed in large part because he didn't have podium experience and couldn't anticipate what he was going to deal with. Rabel is incredibly astute of dealing with that and being one person at the podium, being one person behind the scenes with the media, being a certain way with everyone. So would Brady pursue Rabel if he could get him. Would a bidding war ensue coast to coast for the services of Brabel? I think that would be interesting to see what I still think Vrabel would be more amenable to New England just because he was here for ten years and understands this area as supposed to going all the way out to San Francisco and not knowing if Aidan O'Connell was his quarterback or Gardner Minshew, whereas Drake may is such a draw here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I wonder if the Crafts are kind of.
Speaker 5: Doing the same thing.
Speaker 2: Well, they've slowed the progress. Everybody's a genius when you've got the greatest coaching quarterback of all time. Then when you don't, then all of a sudden, we're looking for answers here. And I like, you have complete trust in the Crafts that they'll figure this out, and all of a sudden, you guys restore the dignity here.
Speaker 5: No, I don't, And I've said that a number of times, and I spoke to somebody high up in the organization today and I said it very much reminds me of nineteen ninety seven when they moved on from Parcels. I hired Pete Carroll because he was the antithesis of Parcels, and that team went from the Super Bowl out of the playoffs in three years. I brought in a major Domo type in Bill Belichick and it went beautifully. The Crafts, I think we're out of practice football wise. Bill had taken a hold of everything. So this is my stuff.
Speaker 11: I do this.
Speaker 5: This is my football team. You guys run the organization. It's your franchise, my football team. And people like to think of the Crafts as puppet masters. I just don't think that that's true. They ask questions and they register their disappointment if things don't go well, But I don't think they're making football decisions, and they don't want to. They need to get somebody at that friggin level band who's making the football decisions. How do they know if they're director of West Coast scouting is good or their SEC evaluations are good. They don't. So they need somebody above those personnel people who can make those decisions, who can look at a wide receivers coach and say, my god, what are you telling these guys? We got three catches from our rookies this year. What are we doing? So they need that, I think. So they're in the wilderness right now. But the notion that they're cheap or don't care about winning, I think is bizarre given and that's pretty prevalent around here in New England. I think they care incredibly about winning.
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't want girod Mao to be fired, but if it meant that I could have you back on the show, then he had to pay the price. There's an upside. Yeah, there's an upside to then.
Speaker 5: So Albert was in performing huh.
Speaker 2: Well, Fritzy, do you want to answer that with Tom Kern?
Speaker 5: Yeah, there was a change of plans at the last minutes. You know, sometimes someone's available at one time and there's got to shift to another time. There's really no specific rhyme or reasons when everyone's available.
Speaker 6: It's not a list of top to bottom who's most important?
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, sounds sounds kind of like what the Patriots went through. Albert was available.
Speaker 2: You're are gid Mao. Hey, great to talk to you, all right, Dan, Thank you, Bunny, Thank you Bunny. All right, I could ask you about Bill Belichick. By the way, are you are you expecting Bill Belichick to be there for Wait? Why are you shaking your head?
Speaker 5: I'm not.
Speaker 6: I don't wait.
Speaker 5: I don't think he's gonna be there very long.
Speaker 2: Where's he going?
Speaker 5: I don't think it's gonna go great. Either, it's not gonna it's not gonna go the way people think it's gonna go. He's not gonna wave a Magic belichickie in wand and have everybody. The portal is a real thing. There's no portal in the NFL. Those guys are gonna get yelled at one time. We're told they don't know where they're asked from their elbow and they're gonna be portal in Lake Maniacs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you don't have to, you know, be uh, you know, stuck with the salary cap or the draft. You know you can go out. You do though, No, there's no draft.
Speaker 5: Well, they want twenty million dollars for spending on these players, so you have to figure out how are we gonna spend money on these players? Who gets allocated the most money?
Speaker 2: And that's what Mike Lombardi does for him.
Speaker 5: His eyes are going to be rolling like kicken balls.
Speaker 2: Would say over under one and a half years at North Carolina.
Speaker 5: Oh that's a great one. I would say I would take the over, but if the odds are good enough, I would the smart bet would be over. But I could say under. I mean he's got an out next June no, He's basically announcing if something better comes along, see at Chapel Hill.
Speaker 2: Thank you Tom, Thank you, goodbye Tom. Current NBC Sports insider. By the way, did you see when the Jets took the field yesterday with the Dolphins the flag? They have the flag upside down? Now that might be considered a political statement. Is that like a sign of circles? We do not support this, but I'm like you knuckle heads, you got the upside down unless somebody said, hey, watch this, this will be funny, but uh yeah. That pretty much emblematic of the Jets season upside down. Take a break. Last call for phone calls? What we learn? What's in store tomorrow? Right after this, be.
Speaker 1: Sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: There is football tonight and I'm excited about it. North Dakota State versus Montana State. It's the FCS Championship. Got the night to themselves. That'll be great, all right, Last call for phone calls.
Speaker 3: What we learn?
Speaker 2: What's in store tomorrow. By the way, I'm going to make a declaration. It's not a hot take. It's just a declaration. By the time I retire in three years, Victor Wembenyama will be the MVP of the NBA. I watched him against Joker the other night. Man, if you don't get him now or next year, you're not going to stop him. It is scary, it really is. And Joker, I still think is the best player in the game. But when you see that's the best player, and Victor Wembanyama is just starting out, he's going to be an MVP. I think before he's twenty five, I really do. I think he's that impressive. And by the way, I know we don't focus on it. I know the other shows don't focus on it. I probably focus on them more than the other shows, but I'm not doing it for clicks. The Cleveland Cavaliers have been unbelievable this year. Unbelievable, make a case the best team in basketball right now. I don't know how this translates to the postseason, but they're thirty one to four, So just throwing that out there. You know, it's not the Lakers, it's not Golden State, it's not the Celtics, not the Knicks. Cleveland is thirty one and four. They are historically great off to historically great star but just a couple of things maybe you know, doesn't get focused on as much with the national media, But Cleveland has been pretty incredible this day in sports history.
Speaker 12: Paul just got a couple. In nineteen six seventy six, Ted Turner bought the Atlanta Breve for blank million dollars, blank million dollars UH ten million dollars, twelve million dollars.
Speaker 2: Yang, Wow, that's why I lost out. I bid ten he bid twelve.
Speaker 12: Nineteen ninety seven, Peter O'Malley announced the Dodgers were for sale. They've been in this family for forty seven years. Nineteen ninety eight, Barry Switzer resigned as the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, and uh oh our buddy Gilbert Arenas had a rough day in twenty ten bringing a bag of guns to the facility. Seems like a nice guy now.
Speaker 2: Though, Yeah, you know, I like him the rough week. I'm always bagg of guns. I like when somebody puts something in their bag, in their luggage and then they're surprised that they had I brought the gun to the airport. Yes, you can't do that.
Speaker 6: Damn.
Speaker 2: Has anybody seen my gun?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Han, I put it in your suitcase?
Speaker 3: Did you?
Speaker 2: Oh? I brought that to the airport. Oh. Let me see Tony in Rochester. Hi, tone, thanks for holding what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Hey Dan?
Speaker 7: First time, long time?
Speaker 5: Yeah, eleven.
Speaker 7: Member of the Dead Dead Club. Okay, uh, indexing in about a sixteenth.
Speaker 2: Tony, Tony, are you in a spaceship or something?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 5: Sometimes I feel that way?
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, what was the noise?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I was sitting up perhaps, Okay, but I just want to get I mean, Josh Allen seems to me his consecutive starts, he's had a great season. He's he's transformed himself from like a you know, the turnover and waiting and now he's arguably the m v P. And he really is, you know, in Western New York, like a folk hero. I mean. The funny thing is one of the hottest commodities around here is like one of those life size cutouts of him. Like if you see one at a store and you just ask them for it, the people will tell you.
Speaker 2: We we just got to.
Speaker 7: An offer for one thousand dollars for this day. We're gonna raffle it off. We're gonna raise money like you can't get your hands. People put it in their windows.
Speaker 2: Tony, is is there a question here or like? I mean, it's nice to know that they have a cardboard cutout of Josh Allen and people want to take him home. But got anything else?
Speaker 7: But I think the worst I think the worst of the weekend is and probably the worst of the year is Sean McDermott. I think that his job is very much in jeopardy if they don't win the super Bowl. And I think it's been a couple of years.
Speaker 2: Wait, I think he's done a really good job this year. In other years maybe not. And good luck with your Josh Allen cardboard cutout there. Tony was on hold for over an hour and a half. I didn't I didn't know if there was a point getting his money's worth? Yeah damn it? Yeah? AnyWho? Uh let me see Alex in Utah. Hi, Alex, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: I think, thank thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 11: Thirty eight to zero. That was my best of the weekend.
Speaker 9: I understand that it was the Kansas City be team, but anytime you can just open up a go to old fashion can of a butt whooping on the division rival. It just feels good, especially to secure a playoff spot Sure, Fritzy, I love the smack talk.
Speaker 11: Keep it up real quick.
Speaker 9: I I guys, I have not been able to get Steven Wilson Junior the Third out of my mind since that interview. I mean, like I am a song is playing constantly on the background, like it's not on Spotify, so I gotta watch your interview with him over and over again.
Speaker 11: I mean like when Seaton.
Speaker 9: Said best song he's ever heard, I was like, all right, okay, like let's tone it down.
Speaker 11: But I hear it every time I hear it.
Speaker 9: I'm like, I gotta call my dad tell him I love him so for me.
Speaker 11: Best interview of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 9: Thanks for introducing me to him.
Speaker 11: You guys have a great week.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Alex, Thank you. Yeah. Steven Wilson Junior is the artist and if you go to Spotify, he's very talented. Glad that we had him in studio and hopefully we gave him a kind of a sounding board, a launching pad for the rest of the country to experience his music. Ted and Tampa Hi, Ted.
Speaker 3: Had end at Ted and Tampa Bay for It's Clear Blue and seventy two. Okay, yeah, best and best of the weekend, of course, it was a Tampa Bay Buccaneers beating squeak them by the New Orleans Saints. The second best of that week was Jerry Jones had his acting debut on your Favorite show land Man yesterday. He was on for twenty five minutes. He did a great job.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, I stopped watching land Man and I love Billy Bob Thornton. I just something was missing. And I know they tried to create a like an oil version of Yellowstone, but it just it wasn't there for me. I'm also trying to get through Squid Game two. I'm struggling a little bit here. Seton said that it's worth it, but it's not as good as season one. Let's go around the room. What we learned on the program, Todd would you learn today?
Speaker 12: Albert Bria thinks Aaron Regers could very well have a Brett farm of hair across his ass and wants to prove the Jets are everyone wrong if he goes to another team.
Speaker 4: All right, Seaton, I think we start booking guests in order of importance.
Speaker 2: Marvin, you think the pat situation is sad? Oh be filled in the blank. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. At Maco, we bring your car back to life with affordable paint jobs, light collision repairs. Great people get a free estimate today. Oh better call Mako. Thanks for joining us, Have a great day.