Speaker 1: Now here's a highlight from Coast to Coast AM on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to Coast to Coast. George Norry with you, Eldon Taylor with us. We'll take calls with Elden next hour. Tell you a little bit more about that later, Eldon. I'm going to sound a little bit like I'm from the Beverly Hillbillies. But what do you mean by young ing?
Speaker 3: You know, George, I when I look at everything, I look at the expectation people have about aging, how it's sold to us in all of the ads that we see on TV and mirrored very often, and how people look and behave as they get older. We think of aging and we think, you know, cognitive difficulties, deficiencies develop, you know, bad joints, maybe knee replacements. Yeah, this whole list of images that come to mind when you speak of aging. The problem is, and and a bit of a digression here, we know that life expectancy recently has decreased in.
Speaker 2: America, which is unprecedented.
Speaker 3: That's right, and especially for a modern society such as our own, when it's extending in other societies like ours. So when you look at that, you have to ask why. Well, you know, I think the biggest reason is because our society, our medical institution, they do two things. They sell you sickness. I watched the Republican debate last night, Okay, uh.
Speaker 2: Not intriguing.
Speaker 3: By the way, three in four of the commercials were sickness commercials. Yes, you know, and I don't watch television typically, so I'm not accustomed to seeing. I mean, you just you are just overwhelmed by that healthcare system fixes illness, it doesn't teach us wellness. So it's all our entire system is about sickness. George, we need a word that reverses that. Instead of aging, we need young because we have solid evidence that is young. Not just stay young in mind, which is very helpful, that's important, but you can literally young your physiology. You can you literally can look younger, walk younger, stand taller, sit more erect, have more strength. You literally can reverse that aging process. So like goin the word, I mean, we just simply need the opposite of aging about young.
Speaker 4: And that's how I refer to it.
Speaker 2: Now, you say we're programmed to age.
Speaker 3: Explain that, Yeah, well, the programming happens when we're very young. In fact, it happens so still so consistently that I've got a son turning thirty this year and he doesn't even want to celebrate his birthday.
Speaker 4: It's horrible.
Speaker 3: He's over the hill at thirty.
Speaker 4: He's done with the perception.
Speaker 3: You think about how and where we get these perceptions. And again, we can go to the media. We are inundated with products that are designed to tell us we're going to get old. But there's a fix for us. You know, we can get some botox, or we can have a knee replacement, or we going to have, you know, skin graft.
Speaker 4: And when we.
Speaker 3: See older people were typically shown those people that have not aged well in the year two thousand, celebrating that year, turning the calendar nineteen ninety ninety two thousand New Year's Eve, I happened to catch a program on centenarians, people who had been around longer than the century. They were over one hundred years old, and and you know, this program focused on.
Speaker 4: The healthier ones.
Speaker 3: I saw one hundred year old men playing tennis and playing it hard and looking like they were maybe seventy at the most sixty.
Speaker 4: I would say at.
Speaker 2: That time, amazing, You keep busy.
Speaker 3: Don't is the healthy side of aging that's not presented to us.
Speaker 2: Not until you find one who's one hundred and six and then they illustrate him. But you're absolutely right. But I have found that you keep active, you stay younger, you keep your brain fresh.
Speaker 4: Is that great? That's absolutely right.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm in my office every morning around eight thirty, usually go home, work out my I've got a gym in my own home, so you usually, you know, head over to the house somewhere between four and five. But I'll put a full day in and I'm still reading the latest literature, creating new things. I mean, since that cardiac, I've written seven books done. I don't know how many videos and audio programs stay creative, stay involved, and the gratitude come back to that. You mentioned that several times. It is a magic bullet. In fact, I think it's so important that George, you know, in honor of you your show bringing me on to talk about this, anybody, all of our listeners can simply go to my website Olden Taylor dot com. There's a banner on that page that is in honor of George Nurray. They click on that, they can get their own free gratitude attitude program, download it and work with it. But I'll tell you what happens. When you have gratitude, you change the neurochemistry and the physiology of your own body. You know, you've heard me say this before. The body has basically like a government, analogous to a government, three systems, you know, the racun the immune and the autonomic nervous system, and two programs they run on They run on defense or they run on growth. If we have stress in our body, if if we're looking at life, it sucks and then you die. If we're oh, my goodness, another day. Oh do you know what's happening in the world. The interest rates are crazy. I can't afford to buy holes, you know, the poor Palestinians that you know, anything you want to pick. Where people are generally in their lives when you turn on the news, that is poison to you. If you look at life, on the other hand, with that positive attitude, that thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 4: Here's a little trip. I start every morning with.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you, thank you, and I put a big.
Speaker 4: Chest Shire smile on my mouth.
Speaker 3: What happens when you do that is you release indorphiends those endorphind's. Bay's a body that's the body's natural opiates, and the bodies says, oh, I do feel good, and to thank you. And it doesn't matter what you're saying to or who you're saying it to. The thank you set you up with a different expectation. It's a positive expectation that that's that's an immune booster that strengthens the autonomy and theandrolcan that for all intent and purposes, is a magic bullet to extending your life. I'll tell you another one that I do.
Speaker 4: That is very powerful about it. Laughter.
Speaker 3: Laughter has been shown in study after study to extend your life.
Speaker 1: Hu.
Speaker 4: Every morning, when I first.
Speaker 3: Come into my office, I find something funny. It might be a story, it might be a joke, it might be a meme, a picture or something. And that's what goes on my social networking pages first thing every day. It sets humor up.
Speaker 4: I laugh at it.
Speaker 3: And I think those people that follow me, they get it kick out of it too.
Speaker 2: Okay, what happens to people Eldon who wake up depressed, crime and upset every morning.
Speaker 3: Well, they they actually exacerbate the aging process. Worst of all, they reduce their immune system. The opposite of that is an immunology, if you will, an anecdote to aging and illness. The research shows clearly that depression will not just age you. It leads to disease early on, set heart failure, a host of conditions that are unhealthy. So the practical side of everything says we want to turn our life around.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what else, George. One of the.
Speaker 3: Things that I talk about in spirituality questioning spirituality is the pragmatic side of what you get out of being spiritual. And among those pragmatics is you'll live longer, you'll be happier, you'll be healthier, you'll be more likely to be monogamous, happy in your relationships. In other words, life will be better. Humor, gratitude forgiveness. Forgiveness is another big.
Speaker 4: One, George. You know when we ran that double.
Speaker 3: Blind study at the Utah State Prison on utilizing the Inner Talk technology to change the way the inmates talk to themselves. We went specifically after trying to create self responsibility, because.
Speaker 4: When you talk to these inmates, what you learned.
Speaker 3: Was they displaced the responsibility. They blamed everything on somebody else. That's what happens to a lot of people. You don't have to be a criminal to realize that life sucks because you're allowing it to suck. It's not because somebody did something to you. It's how you responded to the stimuli. You could respond differently and have a better life as a result.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: So in that study at the Utah State Prison, we incorporated three messages. I forgive myself, I forgive.
Speaker 4: All others, I am forgiven.
Speaker 3: When I first proposed this custo, there was some feedback from custodio people that they didn't think that was maybe the best idea. Maybe they'd, you know, actually we go out and recommit if they forgave, they had a clean sight. But that didn't happen. What happens when you do that is you eliminate your ability to blame.
Speaker 4: There's nobody to blame.
Speaker 3: Now, you take responsibility yourself, and that's actually really empowering. So that's step in forgiveness empowers an individual, and that too, becomes one of those ways that we reframe this dialogue. We have this self talk. We have this set of beliefs that it's inside the head that's so automatic in order to gain free will in order to gain happiness in the free wills and other issue. Hey, look when you look at all of the data today, it's pretty overwhelming. Libit, with its multicranial which you and I have talked about before back in the fifties, said there's no such thing as free will. We have activity in the unconscious before there is a conscious decision to move. Haines comes along and he uses functional magnetic resonance imaging fMRI, and he discovers that these technicians can determine what you're going to do within six to ten seconds before you consciously make the decision.
Speaker 4: To do it.
Speaker 3: All right, Libbit's looking at hundreds of millions of neurons, Haines quite a few, a fraction of that. But now Fried has done some work using electrodes in the brain and he's looking at single neurons, and the single neurons are giving us correlation. That data is said that whatever you're going to do, that decision is made in your mind before you're consciously aware of it, up to ten seconds in advance. We run on an automatic robot. This automaticity that's coming out of our mind. That automaticity is something we have to discover if we have any free will, it's an illusion.
Speaker 2: How important is happiness to the scheme of things?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, happiness is absolutely of essence.
Speaker 3: These things that we're talking about are all designed to produce happiness. If I'm not happy, I am going to be on that scale that you spoke about, you know, depression, nervousness, anxiety, stress, general unhappiness and and and again those that's the opposite of where we want to be if we want to live a long, healthy life.
Speaker 2: Interesting, is there any science that backs any of this up?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know there's a lot of it. In fact, I told you about Langer study.
Speaker 3: There's a series of studies study that was conducted at Harvard University using a flight simulator two groups of people. A group put on flight suits and pretended to be air force pilots well guiding a simulated flight. Then they performed better in vision tests afterwards compared to the group that was in a broken simulator and just pretending to fly a plane. Another study out of Harvard, in this articular group, healthy subjects watch videos of people coughing and sneezing. Here come back to what I said about selling sickness and TV ads. Yeah, all right, these people that watch this video were told to just pretend that they had goals when this was done. The study was done for those in the test group reported they had cold symptoms, compared to ten percent that was in a control group just told to pretend without this video, and what's most important, using their saliva. They had elevated immune system response. So it wasn't just yeah, I have this cold symptom. I think because I've been pretending to have it. It was indeed an elevated response in the body, a no cebo effect.
Speaker 1: If you will listen to more Coast to Coast AM every weeknight at one am Eastern and go to Coast to coastam dot com, I'm for there,