Speaker 1: Now here's a highlight from Coast to Coast AM on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to Coast to Coast. We're back with Raymond Moody and Paul Perry. Their book is called Proof of Life After Life. Raymond and Paul, let's go into these seven reasons to believe there is an afterlife? And Raymond, how did you and Paul come up with seven?
Speaker 3: Not eight? Not ten?
Speaker 4: Well? Okay, over the years. As I mentioned, we've worked together for about thirty three years now, and we would collect shared death experiences that we heard and after a while, you get a bunch together and you want to categorize them, and we ended up categorizing them into these seven reasons to believe in the afterlife. And it's because these reasons fit best with each of the shared death experiences we decided to put into those. I also want to point out that what really triggered this book. I mean, we've been collecting and shared death experiences for years, but what really triggered it was that both Raymond and I had a shared death experience.
Speaker 3: Well, that's fascinating. What was yours about?
Speaker 5: Paul?
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 4: Several years ago, I was working on a book with the head of neuropharmacology University of Washington, Vernon Neppie, and it was a book on deja vu, and we worked on it for a long period of time. We did a proposal on it. We couldn't sell the book, so we kind of stopped working on books. And I had nothing to do with Vernon for like five years. I hadn't talked to him or written to it at all, and the same with him anyway. At this point, my mother had Alzheimer's and she was dying from Alzheimer's. And one day I got a call from Vernon Neppie and Vernon said, said, you know, I was sitting here. It was on a Sunday, he said, I was sitting here reading the paper and I heard a female voice say, call Paul Perry, and I ignored it. And about an hour later, I was into the sports section and I heard a female voice again say call Paul Perry. So that's what I'm doing. I'm calling you and I don't know why. And I said, well, my mother's dying from Alzheimer's. And he was really the perfect person to talk about that because he was a neuropharmacologist so we spent quite a bit of time talking about different tears that he had attempted. He had attempted on people who had Alzheimer's. And in the course of had that conversation, this was before iPhones, there was that buzzing, you know, on the line, telling me that someone was trying to give me a call. So I said, Verne, I'll call you back later. I answered that phone and it was the care facility telling that my mother had died. And that fit very well into the category of a shared death experience, because somehow my mother, I think, had contacted Vernon and when it felt that Vernon was the perfect person to talk about what was going on with her, and that's how this conversation ensued.
Speaker 3: And Merriman, how about your shared death experience?
Speaker 5: Well, similarly, I had been studying these things for a long period of time, and just as Paul and I were getting ready to write a book on it, incredibly my mother suddenly she was found to have non Hodgkins slim foma and we all were there and as she was passing away, George, I mean, you know, people that go through this, there are no words. Really, the closest I can get to it is to say that first thing I noticed was the the room was no longer three dimensional. It was kind of I felt like we were in a kind of double funnel. And light of this, a very unusual character filled the room, and it was full of energy. It wasn't it wasn't like vertigo was things spinning around, but there was energy there that seemed to be revving up. And my mother had been for several days of pundit. We weren't getting anything from us. But just as she was passing away, she rallied and I heard her voice twice say I love you, But George. The voice I didn't hear it through my ears, I know, but it was very insistent, and twice I heard her, but it wasn't coming from her voice, but I heard her. Meanwhile, my sister felt the presence of my father, who had died eighteen months ago, eighteen months before. My wife experienced something. My brother in law felt things. And you know, as you know, I'm driven in my life by curiosity, and sure what that happened. We were kind of ready to do that book, but when it happened to me, it put me off on another I was trying to process my own experience rather than to learn about others. But after a while that settled down and we got busy on it, and we went ahead and finished the book.
Speaker 3: That's fantastic. Now your first reason, of course, for proof of reasons to believe there's an afterlife out of body experiences. That alone should convince people it's real, right.
Speaker 4: Well, there's an addition to that, and that is that people have near death experiences. About fifty percent of them have out of body experiences, but a certain number of them have a shared death experience, and that would be an example of that would be that if a person is lying on operating table from a cardiac arrest, yet later on when they're brought back, they can recount conversations in the hospital waiting room. For instance, They're able to convey accurate information about what the doctors were doing and what they were saying, and the instruments they were using. That's a shared death experience because it shows that somehow consciousness has separated from the body, and for all intents and purposes, a person who has a cardiac arrest is dead. So this shows once again that consciousness survives bodily death.
Speaker 3: Precognitive events, of course, is important as reason too, right.
Speaker 5: So yeah, yeah, and you know I I saw in my practice, of course, you know, dude, to my interest, I was the one always appointed to talk to the terminally ill patients, right. It was a big part of my medical practice for a long time. And I quickly realized under that circumstance that it's and I know, any doctor who has had a lot to do with the mental, with the you know, the terminally ill, will tell you the same thing that they seem to know in some extraordinary way when they're gonna die. I saw this so many times, and and the same thing about medical practice in a way, so it's unreally, it's relentless, right, so you don't have time to process all these amazing things you're seeing. But it does occur. People know in some way that I can't figure out when they're gonna die. When I was back in nineteen seventy, George, my wife was pregnant and this was my first child, and we both woke up in the middle of the night with the same drink that we were losing the baby. And she was seeing it from her perspective and I was seeing it from my in my perspective when we got to the er, I saw the obstetrician with his back to me, and I remember to this day it's like the khaki pants and the plaid shirt and the tawny colored long hair. Well, the trouble was the I had only seen there was a It was a group of three obstetricians. I had only met one. But this night, that the night we had the dream. Then the next night, twenty four hours later, it happened just as we dreamed it. And when we went to the er, I saw that doctor that I had never seen before, and he was exactly like I'd seen in the dreaming. And the reason I'm telling this is not to be autobiographical, but you know a lot of folks listening in will say, yeah, me too. This is in a way that I can't understand. The time since is mixed up during the dying process, and I just you know, I saw this all the time.
Speaker 3: Transforming the light. What is that?
Speaker 4: Well, it's an observation that people can make about someone who's had in your death experience, And the observation is is that they've they've they are able to share with all of us around them that they're personnel. The has changed greatly. We called it the Scrooge effect because it's very much like what happened with Ebenezer Scrooge and the Christmas Carol when he saw the ghost of Marley, his business partner. All around him has changed and everything it transformed him completely, Scooge and these there you go, and these transformative effects and near death experiences can be documented. So there's several studies that have documented them, and what they say is that through near death experiences. Number one, there's a great decrease in death anxiety with people who have had a near death experience. But people who have near death experiences also have a tendency to have a higher zest for living, and that's defined as the subject is type A without the anger. They're very aggressively living life. And another thing that is very supernatural is that the people who have had near death experiences have at least four times the number of verifiable psychic experiences as people around them. So verifiable psychic experience would be that you have a dream the night before you're going to take a plane flight somewhere that the plane is crashed. Yeah, you get up in the morning, you tell your spouse that the plane you had this dream and in fact then there is a plane crash and you're not on it. That's how dramatic they can be.
Speaker 2: How many people don't react to their inner feelings like that and would have gone on the plane.
Speaker 4: You mean, well, there is that angle too, is that there's a greater there's a greater increase in increase of intuition among people have near death experiences. And that's that's shared because it's highly visible.
Speaker 5: Yeah, George, and all my career, I have only known one person both before and after their near death experience. And this only in nineteen eighty. I was on a hematology service in my medical training. I was a resident and we had this patient and who was a lovely young woman, and she was pregnant and she was having platelet difficulties. So the object of the hematologist treatment was to try to get the platelet count back up before she delivered. Well, anyway, I got to know this fine young woman, and I want to emphasize that, just a delightful person. Okay, Now, then I left that unit. That was my service in that unit was over before she had her baby. Now flashed forward three years. I was sitting in the cafeteria at the hospital. In the middle of the night, I was on call for psychiatry and George, I mean, you know, I don't have the words. This apparition quoated in. I mean, this young woman and she was very then she seemed full of light for one of the better term, very light on her feet. And she sat down and she said, doctor Moody, you don't remember me, but she said, three years ago I was and it was this very young woman. And she told me that after I had left, she did deliver the baby and she almost bled out during the delivery and had a cardiac arrest in a near death experience. And she said that when she tried to tell the nurse, they said, oh, that doctor Moody, he was here a few weeks ago. He studies this. So there in the middle of the night, this woman floated in. She had she had done her nursing studies, she has been a nurse. But the transformation I saw in that person, I mean, I just can't describe it. It was like a transfiguration is not a is not an exaggeration. It was one of the most startling things I have experienced during my residency. To see the physical transformation even in this young woman. I mean it was and not only she was, as I said, very nice person, but the depth after her her experience was what impressed me. I mean, I just really don't have the words to describe it, but I know that these transformations of people, as I'm sure you've noticed too, when of the people you've talked through in the really profound.
Speaker 2: Scientists have still yet to be able to explain the Big Bang theory, how the universe started and all that, Yet you two seem to have a pretty good handle on the afterlife.
Speaker 3: Why is that?
Speaker 5: What I say is, you know, I know enough from having taught to thousands of people that you can't really imagine it right. And everybody says, no matter how articulate, no matter how many languages they speak, no matter how many degrees they have, they said, I just can't describe it to you. There are no words. So there is that limitation. However, I had numerous cases over the years where people have told me that they had previously read accounts of near death experiences, then subsequently had their own near death experience, and while they were having their near death experience, were able to recognize what it was from what they had read.
Speaker 1: Listen to more Coast to Coast AM every weeknight at one a m. Eastern, and go to Coast to coastam dot com for more