Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys.
Speaker 4: This is Mick.
Speaker 2: Shot streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys apt Now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Walls, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 1: And here we go.
Speaker 4: It is a back to work Wednesday here at the Star in Frisco. And for some of us we are well, we didn't go away. We are back to work. Everson Walls not back to work just yet. He'll be back on Thursday. But this is Mick Shots inside the SWBC podcast studio. We've already had a Mike McCarthy press conference today. We have football equipment on a football field and we will have football players out there as well, and hopefully they have the ivs ready today.
Speaker 1: It's pretty warm, it is, and it's going to be warm. It's supposed to be ninety one today. It's October twenty third, ninety one. It's already eighty five.
Speaker 4: By the way. It's toasty out there, and it just seems like the ninety one degree you know, if it was July twentieth ninety one degrees. Welcome it exactly. IVS would not be required. There's something about ninety one degrees on October twenty third that makes it more difficult to stand the heat.
Speaker 1: As you can tell, they haven't taken down the tent out there that they put that's the air conditioned tent with has a lot of ice in it just in case. So yeah, they been watching the weather and said, no, we got to have that maybe till November before we take it down.
Speaker 4: And tomorrow's supposed to be similar heat. So I'm assuming coach McCarthy he always wants to be outside as much as possible. Does he like this heat?
Speaker 1: It shouldn't be hot in San Francisco.
Speaker 4: Shope should not be and.
Speaker 1: He probably doesn't like all the eyeballs that will be on practice also, by the way, so we'll see what happens.
Speaker 4: All the eyeballs that will be Oh oh, I got it has nothing to do with the heat, but it has to do with twelve story buildings or however, all.
Speaker 1: These buildings are exactly I think. I think at times, I think even Jason went inside just to cautionary.
Speaker 4: But they're prepared to be outside today. Yeah, so you have a prediction they if they go inside tomorrow. It will not be because of the heat.
Speaker 1: But they'll say it'll be because of the Yeah, there you go absolutely all right.
Speaker 4: What did you gather from Mike McCarthy's press conference today? Get us up to speed and what we need to know.
Speaker 1: Well, let's start with his brief injury report. He said Michael Parsons would be with the rehab group at least start with the rehab group, so we'll see where that goes. He didn't sound really hopeful on Monday that he would be back ready to play. He said it was still up in the air that he needed to see test his acceleration. So I think they're going to be cautious there and that may be one that you just go, Okay, let's see what happens as we go forward and try to get him to the game. Doron Bland, who was close to playing against Detroit until his foot grew sore from the activity of practice the previous two days, said he's going to start off participating in practice on a limited basis, so they're going to try to ease him back in Kaylin Carson and still with the rehab group with that shoulder, and you know that shoulder sounded like, well, Okay, you know, he'll be back in a week or so, and now it's almost close to a month if he doesn't get back for this game, so we'll see what goes there. And then I thought the significant one, not that the others aren't. Eric Kendricks said he would be limited, so I assume that meant limited in practice here he's been running, so we'll see where that one goes. That would be very good if they could get him back on the field. Although Dmoon Clark didn't play all that bad. I just think that with Kendricks out there, you have, you have your director out there, and I think that speaks volumes for what he could.
Speaker 4: Add, especially against Kyle Shanahan's offense.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, exactly. So that's where they were with guys that can get back. I hear that not Osa Marshawn Kneelan is looking good in his rehab, So maybe when his four weeks or four games are up, you know, you might be able to get him back on the field. Would certainly help the defensive end group if he comes back and he's you know, healthy enough to get going. Said an interesting thing when he was talking about the.
Speaker 4: Ring and By the way, Kneeland has a knee injury.
Speaker 1: Knee injury, right, and he had I think he had its scope too. It sounded like so he's off crutches and walking around and sounds like he's doing better than maybe expected. Uh. He talked about the running game and uh, you know, the question was something reference to what Jerry said about run concepts and run plays that were bad. And he said, I don't think we have bad concepts or bad plays. I'll just leave it as that. But he went on to say he pointed out the Detroit game and he said, the first run of the game, he said, we had the wrong declaration. So I'm assuming that meant the blocking scheme. And I went back and looked at it, and you know, you don't know what everybody's supposed to do. But the play I saw it was a run to rico'dondell and he was going right and it was a one yard game and the linebacker was able to make the play. And Angeloni is that the angel Azeloni? Yeah, Angeloni was a neighbor of ours time ago. Uh. Anyway, it looked like Cooper Bebee Uh spent too much time doubling the defensive tackle and he didn't get to the linebacker in time, and the linebacker was able to scrape off and make the play. So there's a lot of things in the running game that I think people don't recognize that have to take place to make the run work, and it's not all on the running back. So I thought that was interesting one. I went back and looked at, uh looked at that one. The other thing that I think they're going to change up more, and he he alluded to it on Monday that they were going to change some of the individual individual drills that they had been doing and doing more group drills. So it sounds like they're going to have more competitive periods in the practices the next two days than they normally have. And when I say competitive periods, I mean the first defense against the first offense, not against the scout team. So that's one of those things that I think that they're going to try to change up and get more as competitive as you're allowed to be in practice, knowing that they need to deal with some of those concepts better than just going against the scout team when you're just basically got brother lawing going on in those plays because you're just practicing plays, you're not really competing.
Speaker 4: I'm going back watching. I know, I'm going back watching the first play of the game, and they had Angeloni and Campbell, two inside linebackers, and I assume when they're making the declarations declaring who the middle linebacker is, he is at thirty four, is at forty six, and watching it it and you know, because you've gone back and looked at it, Babe did not go get the middle linebacker. He had a nose tackle that was shaded on him. There started as a double and Angeloni was free to run to make the tackle right right.
Speaker 1: So I'm thinking the blocking might have been needed to go more to the right and not worry about that defensive tackle because he wasn't going to be in the play where the play was going. And then Angeloni ends up making the tackle and there was no hole there. If the linebacker wasn't there, they could have been a hole. But it was a one yard game. You know, when I went back, and this is one thing that we forget is if you look at that first drive of the game, in its total that ended up in a field goal, they went fifty two yards in six plays, so they were moving right down the field, and then when they bogged down at first and ten at the eighteen, when they tried the quick short pass to CD, it was two yards. Dak tried to throw it into the end zone. It was incomplete to CD, and then on third down they threw it was the whole didn't matter what the play was. Zach Martin got called for holding and so it was declined because it was an incomplete pass. And now you're kicking a field goal. So they got to the eighteen and then gained two yards. That just can't happen. And that's definitely kind of what happened. And even on the second play, the dB just grabbed Lamb's hands and didn't, you know, let him make a move to be able to pick up the pick up the pass. So yeah, and so then you know, things snowball because then you give up a touchdown. And I looked at the touchdown and they just got blown off the line on that sixteen yard run. And Donovan Wilson was sort of late coming up, but he was playing single safety high and he didn't quite get there. And Leo file was they were in three linebackers and he was the linebacker to the left and I don't know if they expected him to cut across like that and make that tackle because he was unblocked. But they're just little things like that. You got to get right. You cannot you know, you cannot make those mistakes. So that's one of the things I think they're going to be working on. And when we mentioned the declarations that the offensive line has to adjust when you see the defense, you know how the defense at last minute'll shift over one way or another. Well, now that changes your boxing scheme. You don't have time to call it, but you've got to instinctively know where you're going.
Speaker 4: And that's where the lack of experience or lack of experience alongside each other place a factor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, you know, and in that game, you're you're you know, left guards playing left tackle. You got to basically a second year free agent playing left guard and a rookie playing center. Uh that that's a lot of movement that you got to get straight. He also thought that Geiton wouldn't be ready.
Speaker 4: That was where I was going, That was where I was doing next. I was about to say.
Speaker 1: He should be ready to jump into Since.
Speaker 4: We've gotten updates on these other injured players who have missed games, and in fact, even Jerry said yesterday probably be a game time decision on Sunday whether Parsons and Bland will be able to go. And I don't remember if he included Kendricks in that or not, but because you have to look at how they recover from the previous day's work. But I think you buried the lead because Tyler Geiton being back at practice.
Speaker 1: Well it got buried in my list of questions here because it finally got asked, right.
Speaker 4: But specifically this offensive line and the biggest issue I think that this team is having right now is what's going on up front on the offensive line, and they've got to get their five guys out there, and that means getting Tyler. If Tyler Geiton is going to be your first round draft pick playing, he needs to be playing, not just on Sunday, but he needs to be out there on Wednesday.
Speaker 1: And he said about his health, he said he'll be ready to go full participation, meaning for today, so you know, and he was asked about Geiton and where he's at, and he goes he needs to take a huge step in his comfort, He needs to rely on his talent and understand that you can do this, he said, you know, and he doesn't want him. I think the quote was don't want him to spend a whole lot of time in the valley, meaning all.
Speaker 4: Right, you're going to get beat on plays. That's the valley, right, but don't spend time there. It's like a cornerback. You got to get the last play and get ready for the next week, like a.
Speaker 1: Golfer, like Tony Romo taught us about golf and football, that you got to let the last shot go and concentrate on getting out of the rough on the next shot. Don't be belaboring the mistake. And I think that's probably a thing a young guy will do, is just sit there and beat himself up, knowing that he made a mistake or got beat. Well, you can't let that getting beat beat you on the next.
Speaker 4: Play, which is basically what Natan Frisco has been saying about him.
Speaker 1: Relax, right, okay, just move on.
Speaker 4: All right, we got much more to get to. We're just getting started. On a Wednesday. I should of mixed shots and we'll be back in just a moment.
Speaker 5: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team Hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x'es and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 6: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win. Slides for the first down, investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com perfect.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, wow, did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 6: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 3: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here with football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to at and t stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yettie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetie dot com. Check it out today. Yeti official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 1: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Light is brewed to be less feeling.
Speaker 7: What are you doing here?
Speaker 1: Miller Lite tastes great. Look, I'm just reading the script.
Speaker 4: It says less filling. That's not what my script says.
Speaker 1: Hell mindset.
Speaker 8: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Middle Light is in fact less filling and taste great. I'm vishine legal guy, Celebrate responsibly. Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands to be point two grams.
Speaker 4: Cards for twelve bounces.
Speaker 8: Fewer Cowson cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 1: Demed shots Cowboys Nation Dallas Cowboys United, presented by Globe Life, is now exclusively in the Dallas Cowboys App. Join the Official Fan Club today to receive access to all new Cowboy drops, features, team news and pre sale access, and fan and kid of the game Wow. Download the app now to join.
Speaker 4: All right, we continue on mixed shots on a Wednesday. Get ready for the San Francisco forty nine ers. By the way, Everson Walls should return on Thursday. Little news regarding Everson which we will talk about when he returns on Thursday.
Speaker 1: Will pointed out today the what.
Speaker 4: Do they call it, the Blue Ribbons Committee or something like that. It's a new expanded committee that is going through all of the quote unquote senior candidates. These are players in the NFL whose last season was nineteen ninety nine or before. And so they they're trying to make sure that they haven't missed anybody through the years last century. So and they've done it by even expanding the committee to and so they started with how many one and eighty, one hundred and eighty something like that.
Speaker 1: And then they reduced it to sixty.
Speaker 4: Yep, And so yesterday they announced it's down to thirty one. Are they calling it semifinalist or or maybe the semifinalist or the next round. Yeah, in a couple of weeks, two or three weeks, they'll get it down to ten.
Speaker 1: Ten or twelve, Okay, then they get it to three.
Speaker 4: Okay, But two former Cowboys are in the list of thirty one. One is Everson Walls and the other Harvey Martin. And it's about and there's going to be three that will be given to the committee, right which take the final rubber stamp YEP, which is typically a rubber stamp.
Speaker 1: So they're kind of listening to this committee now.
Speaker 4: So it started with one hundred and eighty six or something like that, and they're going to whittle it down to three to give to the final committee at the Hall of Fame voting.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure Everson, after having gone through all this, is sitting there going, yeah, okay, well just call me. I think he's passed getting emotionally invested in it, just from the disappointment that I think he's felt over the years. We'll let him speak about that. But look, here's the deal on this Pro Football Hall of Fame. Too many decisions are made on statistics and analytics, not stories. And I think to me, the responsibility of the voters is to preserve the stories of the NFL, and you do that by putting players like Everson Walls into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. It's not all about how many Super Bowls you won or didn't win. It's not all about how many interceptions you had or different didn't had. It's about the story of a guy that had eleven interceptions in his rookie year of nineteen eighty one and forty three years later, let that sink in. Forty three years later, nobody has ever had more than eleven interceptions in a single season. As a matter of fact, Trayvon Diggs a couple of years ago is the only one to have had eleven and match it. So things like that need to pre preserved. On how unique his accomplishment has been. And the fact that he led the NFL in interceptions three times, which.
Speaker 4: One only tied by Ed reed Is. It's tied for the most times to lead in interceptions ed Reid, and.
Speaker 1: One of those was during the strike season when he ended up with in nine games, he had seven interceptions and there's no telling how many he would have finished in that year too.
Speaker 4: But even if you just do the stats on it, he's got fifty seven conceptions in his career, I know, which is like almost doubling the field.
Speaker 1: And the fact that, by the way, he did win a Super Bowl playing for the Giants. And then the other thing is is part of Everson's story And look, I know he's on our show, but he donated a kidney to a former teammate. Who does that? And I think that's part of the story that the NFL, the Pro Football Hall of Fame has to capture. When they put the little bios in the highlights of a guy's career, that's part of his life and and I think it gets ignored. And there's too many people that are voting that no idea or never seen Everson play, And I think it's just a it's just a crime that he can't get into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Speaker 4: They should go ask Bill Belichick, right Christmas, Belichick game up to Gilbrandt several years ago at the Hall of Fame after Hall of Fame ceremony and said, we need to get Everson in into the Hall of Fame. And of course he played for Belichick, not only with the Giants, but also with the Cleveland Browns and back in what I think was ever probably ever since second to last season when he was I think it was with Cleveland, maybe it was Giants. He was actually sort of the quarterback on the field. He was, he was the play caller basically on the field. If the green dot back in those days, Everson would have been the one wearing the green dot when he converted over to safety.
Speaker 1: And if you just look at his story to the NFL. Out of high school, he decides to go to Grambling, right, I don't know if he got a scholarship. He'll tell you the reason he went there because what turned out to be his future wife, His girlfriend was going to Grambling, and so he decided, Okay, I'm going to Grambling and he plays Think about the guys he's played for, Eddie Robinson, Tom Landry, Bill Parson, Cells and Belichick in his career, Jimmy and Jimmy for one year. That's pretty good, right, And so uh yeah, you know, and and I think Jimmy has come to grips with what took place and how uh you know, and finally sort of apologized to him for his reaction to that play or to the play ragizing right.
Speaker 4: So anyway, by the way, the defensive backs that are in this final thirty one pretty good back defensive backfield, which includes Lester Hayes, Albert Lewis, Eddie Medder and Everson Walls. That is a pretty good and in fact, Albert Lewis went to Grambling and so and he was a couple of years behind Everson, I believe we'll talk more about it tomorrow with Everson and then Harvey Martin's the other one. Yeah, that is well deserved and and.
Speaker 1: With you know what happens with a lot of these guys. They end up and it's great that they get in, but it's sad sometimes that they don't get in until they pass away or they're not really kind of with us to be able to go and enjoy that. I think that happened with Holly Chuck Collie when he finally got in as a senior unable to attend the ceremony for health reasons, and his son did a fine job of stepping in for him. So yeah, that's one of those things that they just got to get right, all.
Speaker 4: Right, And elsewhere around the league more trades, another one involving a wide receiver, as the Kansas City Chiefs reportedly are acquiring DeAndre Hopkins from the Hapless in the Sea Titans for a condition condition fourth.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, Kansas City is baically out of wide receivers. They just had to put Rashi Rice on injured reserve. Marquise Hollywood Brown is already out for the season, and Juju's shuster.
Speaker 4: To forget the Smith, Juju Smith's Juju.
Speaker 1: Smith Schuster, Juju Shuster, you.
Speaker 4: Don't you don't say Kareem Jabbarji.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh. He is out with a hamstring and may not be able to play this week, So they're looking at bringing in Hopkins. He's thirty two, final year of a two year deal. How about this, He had signed a two year deal for thirty three million with Tennessee, which I use as a cautionary tale of every time somebody sees a name available, they don't judge about how they're playing. They're judged by their name. And I don't know that Tennessee got their money's worth, and they're going to have a heck of a lot of dead money.
Speaker 4: But we really don't know what Hopkins has left because of the quarterback situation.
Speaker 1: Well to this and that's true too. But what here's the top two. If the three receivers I just mentioned for Kansas City, their next top two receivers is Xavier Worthy rookie and Justin Watson so far have combined over seven games for twenty two are they six? They're six and zero twenty two catches between those two guys, and those are the guys that have to step up. And obviously Kansas City did have some problems throwing the football, even though they were able to win that game on Sunday, So that's one of the reasons why they're looking for that, and they are going to if they do the trade, they're going to be on the books for nine to eighteenths of fifteen million dollars, so seven and a half million.
Speaker 4: So but if you look at Hopkins, I mean, just look at his history of quarterbacks here, recent history of quarterback play with him had to play for Okay, so he's been with Tennessee this year with will Levis, last year with Tennessee, and even the last half of the twenty twenty two season in Arizona. Kyler Murray was hurt, right, and so they had backup quarterbacks that were out there So, I mean last year at Tennessee, Tannehill started eight games. Will Levis started eight games. And so that's what you're dealing with. So it'll be interesting. Now he's got to be just going. He gets to go to Kansas City.
Speaker 1: Now he might he might run there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so anyway, that'll be interesting to see what he does in that Chiefs offense. But getting back to the Cowboys and at the wide receiver position, this is a big game for them to see if these young guys can can step up even more than what they have been with Brandon Cook still out for the least the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: Still, yeah, and he is. He's doing much better. He's able to do some rehab stuff now. But you know, when you have an infection like that, the guy's on an IV and that that's serious stuff. I can vouch for that, by the way. And and so yeah, well they're gonna get him back, so they should. His four games should be up in another week. Yeah, it happened the New York game, so he missed Pittsburgh, he missed Detroit, spy doesn't count.
Speaker 4: Right, And so then this is San Francisco Atlanta, so he could be back for Philadelphia.
Speaker 1: Philadelphia, correct, So you got that guy coming back, and remember you pay these guys, so you know the salary cap comes into question there when when you say, well, just go get that guy, all right, Well that would be nice, but at some point you do need to continue, as Nate would tell you, playing these young guys and getting them experience. I think Tolbert is getting better, but then when you get to the third guy you're looking at Jalen Brooks, Cavante Turpin, and we mentioned this Yesterdaly Floyd, Noi Floy Illinois Floy not floor right, Illinoy. I'll get it at some point maybe when he catches about what he catches, it doesn't it doesn't fumble.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's when you'll startle.
Speaker 1: You hate that, right, your first NFL catch and you get punched out.
Speaker 4: So you mentioned Tolbert. Who else did you mention Turpin? Yeah, Brooks, Jalm Brooks and then Ryan Flinoy, Ryan Illinoy.
Speaker 1: That's it, right, that's the wide receiver crew.
Speaker 4: It's basically it.
Speaker 1: And that's a lot of young guys with not much experience.
Speaker 4: By the way, that's a lot on CDs.
Speaker 1: So CD. Yeah, and what do you think defenses are thinking he ain't beating me. Let these other guys step up and beat me. And it has to do with you know, I don't think Troy was totally out of line when he pointed out about the the routes UH and the ability to separate and get open. And it takes time for young guys to figure some of that stuff out. And so I don't know that the Cowboys thought they needed to go do something. You just kind of, I don't know, hold your breath until Brooks gets I mean, Cooks gets back, and try to do the best you can. But still, the one thing that's got to get better and and improve along the way is that run game and being able to stop San Francisco from running the football, and they have not done that in the three games that that they've lost consecutively. You know that that series. I don't know if I pointed this out yesterday, but it was like, in this series, San Francisco has won the last three games. That's right, I had this here.
Speaker 4: Tell you what when we come back on Mixshaw, I'll do it, Mickey. We'll go back into the history of the Cowboys forty nine ers series.
Speaker 7: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 3: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here with football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer hand cramp and cold. That's where Yetti's insulated Colster cankuler comes in clutch year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yettie Cowboys gears now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetti dot com. Check it out today. Yeti official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Hey, Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 4: Scott slides for the first down.
Speaker 6: Investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 8: Perth pickthrow my goodness, Wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 6: Visit blockchain dot com Slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 5: Star Sports Tools is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail game Hey party in Texas, tour the Star and talk ex's and o's with me Everson Wallas. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package.
Speaker 1: Today to mixed shots Cowboys Nation, It's time to get the giving season going. Tune in to see country music star Laney Wilson and a special guest performed during the Salvation Army's annual Red Kettle Kickoff halftime show this Thanksgiving on Fox. Every donation stays in the community to provide help and hope for those in need. So tune in to watch Cowboys, Giants and Laney Wilson this Thanksgiving and give today at Salvation Army USA dot org.
Speaker 4: Okay, some details on the Hopkins trade to Kansas City. He's being traded to Kansas City for a fifth round pick that elevates to a fourth if the Chiefs make the super Bowl and if Hopkins plays sixty percent of the Snaps.
Speaker 1: Good chance of get the sixty percent.
Speaker 4: And judging by their recent history, good chance to the super Bowl too since they're off. So that's why it was announced as a conditional fourth round pick because until proven otherwise, Kangas City's headed to the super Bowl. Titans will also pay two and a half million dollars of Hopkins contract.
Speaker 1: Oh so basically they're absorbing a some dead money and paying two million of I think it was five maybe five million that was left on his base something like that. So yeah, you you incur money, but you only get at best the fourth round pick. So maybe they value the pick that much that the money doesn't cap money doesn't.
Speaker 4: Matter, and they obviously figured that they weren't going to get a better offer than that if they waited. And maybe I don't know what Hopkins attitude was around the building, but yeah, they may have decided and we we don't need, don't need to have him hanging around for a couple more weeks. So anyway, all right, so if there, Jerry has been adamant basically that they're not active as far as any moves right now. But if there was a position to enhance for a and i'll say for a third day draft pick, what position would that be?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: One right now? What the injury situation is when you're getting guys back, as you can kind of basically look at it. That Cooks is coming back in a trade. By the Philadelphia game, you're adding him, I would say.
Speaker 1: At this point, waiting defensive end m H. I know at some point either this week or next week, you'll you'll get Michael Parsons back, but Nilan and DeMarcus Lawrence are Thanksgiving probably, I'm thinking that's a long time ye away. And if I needed immediate help, that would be it. But who's giving up a defensive end that can create sacks? That's a tough one.
Speaker 4: You know what people are shouting running back? No, as far as defensive ends. Oh, Max Crosby.
Speaker 1: Why is he unhappy?
Speaker 4: He's Yes?
Speaker 1: Did anybody before they shout? Look at how much it would cost?
Speaker 4: I just let his cap hit for twenty twenty five is twenty eight point two million dollars. Well, his cap hit for twenty twenty six shrinks to twenty four point eight million dollars?
Speaker 1: And how much would you incur this year? Probably half of his is a bao.
Speaker 4: It was a he signed in twenty twenty two March of twenty twenty two, a four year, ninety four million dollar contract.
Speaker 1: Does it have his base?
Speaker 4: But anyway, I just I just present that as right, Yeah, as a joke more than anything.
Speaker 1: Well, that's a good bill. Oh and to finish what I was saying. And so San Francisco has won the last three straight. Prior to that, the Cowboys had beaten San Francisco six of seven games. So it's been a like streaks because at one point.
Speaker 4: So the current streak is three three.
Speaker 1: Straight two playoff games in a regular season game. Is that what it is?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just that the playoff games seem to carry more weight.
Speaker 1: Well, No, it's the thirty eight point loss last year that carries more weight. I mean that they were at least competitive in the playoffs games they got beat twenty three, seventeen and nineteen twelve.
Speaker 4: In nineteen twelve, nineteen twelve.
Speaker 1: That's a long time ago, isn't it. But the series has been a yeah streak.
Speaker 4: You're right, Okay, So the Cowboys won three in a row twenty sixteen through twenty twenty. The Niners have won three in a row from twenty two to twenty three. So it's time to start a Cowboys streak of three at a row.
Speaker 1: And if you go way back, the Cowboys won seven of eight from seventy one through eighty and then when they lost the catch game in the no they actually lost to San Francisco twice that eighty one season. Regular season in the catch game they won six straight. Then the Cowboys ended up winning three straight.
Speaker 4: Franc which was ninety three, ninety three, ninety four, which are pretty good.
Speaker 1: Years, not bad, and then San Francisco ended up winning three straight.
Speaker 4: What I'm finding in this the streaks is that it seems like when Dallas had the better team, they were on a streak, and when San Francisco had the better match, they're in the streak. Yeah, So who has the better team this week? Considering the injuries?
Speaker 1: See, that's a tough one to side, because Brock Purty without his wide receivers looked pretty pedestrial.
Speaker 4: What was that quarterback rating?
Speaker 1: I think it was thirty four point.
Speaker 4: City and Mahomes combined for a forty rating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because one was in the forties forty four maybe and one was thirty six or thirty four. So yeah, the injuries, we don't talk about it, but they they do matter. And so here's the issue that I see and why this is a huge week for Tyler Geiton.
Speaker 4: It's who's lining up as edge rushers for the Niners. Besides Nick Bosa Bosa, they got Leonard Floyd also.
Speaker 1: Yes, and he's pretty good. And that was one of the things that Mike McCarthy pointed out, that their edge guys are pretty darn good. And the other thing he pointed out is Fred Warner really kind of messes up your offense the way he can basically consider the best middle linebacker in the league. Yeah, and the fact that he can drop into coverage. So your call for Jake Ferguson to do more might get neutralized by what the middle linebacker can do on some of those steam routes. And McCarthy said, especially when you get inside the red zone and everything's condensed, he can kind of command that middle of the field in the passing game.
Speaker 4: To rare when a middle linebacker commands the kind of money that Fred Warner has a five year, ninety six million dollar contract. That is rare money for an inside linebacker. But he's a rare player too.
Speaker 1: That's sort of like when you say the running back position got devalued.
Speaker 4: And it's because of injuries.
Speaker 1: Right, But and the middle linebacker, as we saw with vander esh.
Speaker 4: As we saw it before with Sean Lee, and as other teams see with most of their inside linebackers, it's rare that inside linebackers can stay healthy throughout a career.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: So Luke Keikley was another one who played at a Hall of Fame level and at his career cut short due to concussions.
Speaker 1: So so yeah, they've still even though it says three and four they're still they're still pretty good, and the Cowboys will have their hands full, but they need to get some of these guys back on the field. And it would start with Deron Bland and Kendricks and then we'll see where it goes with Michael Parsons.
Speaker 4: You know, as I watch another replay of Patrick Mahomes going down the sideline a and doing ball fakes. You know, going into that game last week, Mahomes and Brock Purdy led the NFL. They were one and two in first downs rushing by a quarterback.
Speaker 1: Really, I didn't realize Perdy was doing that much running.
Speaker 4: Timely, running right, you know, and basically if things break down and he'll break out and get just enough yurds to get a first down. So it's not like zone read stuff or anything like that, but it's there's a lot of It's like what Mahomes does.
Speaker 1: Well, and he's been I don't either know if it's fortunate or crafty enough to run and not take big hits, unlike Jaden Daniels, right got flipped up in the air or whatever, rolled around and gets injured. Got to be careful running the foot football, and I'll guarantee you next time Mahomes goes tip toeing down the sideline, somebody's going to think it's worth fifteen yards to go nail them.
Speaker 4: Well, better be careful. That's a reason that people forget that RG three was like a rookie of the year his rookie season with Washington, right, and then he had suffered the ACL injury late in that season and he wasn't the same quarterback after that. There's been other quarterbacks that their careers basically get derailed. Yeah, and I'm not running type quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: That not suggesting somebody's going to purposely go hit them. But it's like when he's the runner in terrible sideline and he's faking like he's going to throw the ball, you gotta be careful. See look at that one Cincinnati.
Speaker 4: That Mahomes running against Cincinnati. And by the way, when it comes to Mahomes, people haven't appreciated that they should appreciated this. The work that his personal trainer does with him is just off the charts and which which has made him, you know, the uber talent that he is is his ability to not only the runs that you see, but his ability to move around in the pocket, extend place I mean that is a year round thing, and it's something that Dak has done in his career that has made him more athletic than even when he came into the league.
Speaker 1: So is that Jordan No, that wasn't Jordan Love. They just showed another quarterback running there.
Speaker 4: Look like cann he Pickett picket.
Speaker 1: So did you see what he was what he almost did. He almost intimated that he was going to slide, and then he didn't go down. I think they got to watch that stuff because next time, maybe he is a slide. Somebody's gonna nail them. I mean, think about it, when you compete against somebody that's better than you, and you know they're better than you, but if you can ever catch them, you give them a little extra, right, if he ever played any sport.
Speaker 4: Well, And there's so much respect for Mahomes too, right, and like when he runs along the sideline, you respect him, so you're not gonna cheap shot him. And then he pulls that off, right, Okay, then might as well just go after him there.
Speaker 1: And even that shot they showed there against Cincinnati when he got hit out of bounce, well he got hit, but the ball came flying out. He came flying farther like he was Superman diving.
Speaker 4: Yeah, have situ hits to get that smart football right there. That's right, all right? That does it for another edition of Mixed Shines. We welcome Everson back, and I promise not to talk about the catch with Everson for the next two days. What about you?
Speaker 1: He might bring it up himself, bring it.
Speaker 4: Up himself, all right. I might lead him to it, but I'm not going to bring it up myself.
Speaker 1: When we do the Star Sports Tour reception, he gets that question once, bet Bet, and he answers it.
Speaker 4: He needs to handle it like Jerry handled his interview with the fan yesterday and just asked the question himself. He said, I know you are going to ask me about Derry Henry.
Speaker 1: Let's get right into it, right, all right?
Speaker 4: Does it for Mixed Shots. Enjoy your Wednesday and we'll see again tomorrow at noon.
Speaker 1: Go Cowboys Boy, Chris.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.